Skip to main content

tv   Charlie Rose  PBS  July 27, 2016 12:00am-1:01am PDT

12:00 am
>> rose: funding for "charlie rose" has been provided by the following: >> and by bloomberg, a provider of multimedia news and information services worldwide. captioning sponsored by rose communications from our studios in new york city, this is charlie rose. >> rose: welcome to the program. day two of the democratic national convention in philadelphia. over my shoulder, you can see the podium where hillary clinton will accept the nomination and make her speech thursday night.
12:01 am
early this evening her husband spoke about her. >> one day, i was driving her to the airport to fly back to chicago, when we passed this little brick house that had a for sale sign on it and she said, boy, that's a pretty house. it had 1100 square feet, an at tick fan and no air conditioner in hot arkansas, and a screened-in porch. hillary commented on what a uniquely designed and beautiful house it was. so i took a big chance. i bought the house. my mortgage was $175 a month. when she came back, i picked her up and i said, you remember that house you liked? she said, yeah. i said, while you were gone, i bought it. you have to marry me now. the third time was the charm. (cheers and applause)
12:02 am
we were married in that little house on october 11, 1975. i married my best friend. i was still in awe, after more than four years of being around her, at how smart and strong and loving and caring she was. >> rose: we continue our coverage of the democratic national convention this evening from philadelphia. hillary clinton today became the first woman to be nominated for president of the united states. the voting ended with a symbolic move as the vermont delegation asked clinton nomination be accepted by united acclamation. there were powerful speeches from michelle obama. bernie sanders and elizabeth warren yesterday and followed today by bill clinton, madeleine albright and former u.s.
12:03 am
attorney general eric holder. bob schieffer joins me, former host of "face the nation," and his successor john dickerson. i should say we're taping this before bill clinton's speech this evening, high ants paying here. we can talk about bill clinton as well. you have been here several days. tell me in a sense what is worth noting in this sosks so far. we've seen bernie sanders, elizabeth warren, michelle obama, conflict in terms of the bernie sanders delegates all the way up till today and maybe continuing outside this arena now. >> to start, this was supposed to be this grand show of unity and happiness and we're all coming together here, to contrast what happened in cleveland and kind of that dark view of america that came out of that convention. then all of a sudden, out of the blue, what nobody was
12:04 am
anticipating, this email mess cropped up at the democratic national committee. before the end of the day yesterday, debbie wasserman schultz, head of the d.n.c. was out. the bernie people were demanding all kind of things including that he would speak during the primetime hour at 10:00. they weren't going to do that. all that was changed. he did. so it started in chaos, but by the end of the night, there was a sense of unity. the pivot point, and i think i'll wonder what john thinks about this, i think it was actually michelle obama's speech. it was kind of moving that way. sarah silverman, the comic with the bernie people were raising cane out on the floor and said, hey, guys, there is ridiculous. >> rose: and she was a bernie supporter. >> yes, but then when michelle obama got up there, the whole tenor of this took on a totally different tone and, from there
12:05 am
on in, it was hillary clinton's night. >> rose: you agree, john? i think that's exactly right. michelle obama was the turning point moment. everybody calm down. michelle obama is not in this fight. she's not a elizabeth warren or bernie sanders, she's not a hillary clinton person. she was a neutral voice and did what they couldn't do at the republican convention which is have a person with a lot of power walk in and validate the nominee in a way that captured the hearts of everyone in the room. she talked about, when she said, i live in a house that was built by slaves, that brings a moral weight to the conversation that nobody else can bring. she talked about her daughters. it was a beautifully written speech. then she put hillary clinton, she testified to her grit, she testified to her as a baton carrier of her husband's legacy and presidency and talked about her children, daughters, growing up under a female president and how powerful that would be, and i think that kind of settled
12:06 am
things down, then elizabeth warren and bernie sanders came and testified for hillary clinton kind of finishing it off a bit. >> i think there put michelle obama on the ticket. >> michelle obama was conjuring an emotional picture of hillary clinton. she was testifying to trust and her doggedness. michelle obama knows what it's like to be in the public eye and criticized. she rebuked donald trump without saying his name several times. she brought her daughters on
12:07 am
stage and rebuked trump and the things he said about her husband with her daughters sort of as the greek chorus histenning. >> rose: he questioned donald trump's faith. >> and where he was born in the united states. but trump was the chief birther in america for a long period of time. >> the other part, charlie, is when she said, i trust her, that was underlining what may well be the most serious problem that hillary clinton has to overcome if she is going to become president because the latest survey showed 67% of the people don't consider her entirely trustworthy. she has to find a way, i don't know what that way, is she has to find a way to change that. >> rose: bill clinton will speak to that tonight, i bet. >> true, although -- i remember his nickname was
12:08 am
slick willie for a reason. i wonder, it would be fascinating to see how much he can change that. i wonder, bob, if maybe they can't fix the trust thing but say, you may not trust her, but look at all the other qualities she has, she cares about children and families and pile everything up on the plus side to minimize the negative. >> rose: what will barack obama do and what does he have to do? >> well, i think he'll give her a whole-hearted endorsement. i think he will say she has been in positions of trust and she has handled those positions trustworthily. she has to figure out how to get past this. i don't know if she can get past it entirely. you may be right, john. they may say, well, we'll stress other things she's really good at. but i still think that's a major thing for her. >> i think bob's right, she has to address it herself. >> she has to address it herself
12:09 am
and, one, take it head on. she tried that but it didn't work, where she said people think i'm trustworthy and i regret anything i might have done to contribute to that. >> rose: and it's my challenge to overcome. >> and other answers she reiterated the problem because it's not her natural instinct to let it hang all out. she's not in the betty ford model, the first lady that was brutally honest. >> rose: what was interesting to me is bill clinton will talk about hillary clinton, about a former first lady that will be in a historic moment, a different party than bill clinton led in 1992. >> no question about that. it has moved to the left on many things. >> rose: is that the mood of the country? >> i'm not sure. what seems to happen not just in this country but in other countries, when one party moves to the right or to the left, the other party seems to move
12:10 am
further -- if one party moves to the right, the other party seems to move further to the left. i mean, in the state of texas, for example, where the conservative -- the republican party is very, very conservative, you've got a democratic party now that's much more liberal than it ever was in, say, the time of lyndon johnson. >> rose: even ralph yarborough wasn't very liberal. >> the space between the two parties seems wider than ever, and i think we're seeing that in some of the european democracies, and there's no question we're seeing it here. >> rose: a sense of paplism is rising both in terms of various versions of populism. >> he found the third weight, that's what the whole thing was, he was going to move the party back to the middle. >> rose: strong on social issues. >> you look at trade and crime, trade, there is now consensus trade is not so great.
12:11 am
we're not sure where the country is on that but there is a new left-right feeling of that. >> rose: people losing their jobs. >> and the claims bill clinton and hillary clinton made for nafta a long time ago didn't turn out to be the big winner it was advertised to be. the other is criminal justice. there is an idea criminal justice hasgon over board, too many people in prison, and bill clinton boasted about the death penalty to show he was tough on crime in 1992. no democrat would talk about being in support of the death penalty in that way anymore. >> rose: tim kaine had a number of people executed when he was governor of virginia. >> yeah, but he's not bothing about that. >> rose: tim kaine a good choice? >> i think he is an excellent choice. i think she has to find a way to move to the center, not to try
12:12 am
to get to the left of where bernie sanders was and is. i still think the people in the middle are the people who will, in the end, determine the election. >> rose: on both sides, the 40%, and the 20 in the many middle. >> i was taught in politics if your opponent is on the interes, you described the interview as a center-left person. >> yes. tim kaine also does neutralizing. when he announced to the vice president that he mentioned his son was about to deploy with n.a.t.o., s who has a son in the military and donald trump said maybe the day before n.a.t.o. wasn't going
12:13 am
to keep its commitment if the baltic states were attacked. so you have two people on the armed services committee so they can talk about defense in a way that used to be a liability for democrats and they're being tougher on russia than the republican nominee. so they're able to kind of run into, as democrats haven't in the past. the reason that's important is donald trump has trouble with college educated white women in the suburbs. that used to be the ticket the republican won and that's good for hillary clinton. >> rose: the question of donald trump saying i'm the change election, how does she overcome that? >> i think by explaining how she simply has the experience and the temperament to deal with the problems. >> rose: the temperament may be a big issue in this campaign. >> we're talking about a republican candidate that's talking about dismantling n.a.t.o., for heavens sake.
12:14 am
i don't remember a republican or democratic candidate talking about that. he's talking anti-trade, we know the democrats are moving to the left, too, but we haven't had a republican party that was anti-trade in i don't know when, anti-immigration. the republican party that donald trump represents is not the republican party that you and i knew for years. >> rose: but will the republican party survive this? >> well, i don't know. i think that's one of the questions that we're going to find out here, but i think competence and trustworthiness are the things and the familiarity with some of these institutions that have been the foundation of your national security. >> rose: bob gates said a number of times one quality every president he's known has had is temperament. >> tempment is crucial. in michelle obama's speech, it touched every single box. one thing she mentioned was the
12:15 am
nuclear codes. marco rubio said he wouldn't trust donald trump with the nuclear codes. they're doing what johnson did to goldwater in '64. it's all about him, he can't handle the the precious of the job, he'll with tweeting and flying off the handle and that temperament issue is crucial to their attack against him. change is a haircut, donald trump will shave your head, it's too much change and that's what they're trying to argue. >> rose: yet he's doing quite well in the polls. he's not win, maybe even or up a bit from his convention, maybe she'll get a bump from hers. but are you surprised that donald trump stands where he is? >> i was one of the few people who thought he was going to get the nomination? > >> rose: why? i thought people were really upset and frustrated and we had a government who was doing
12:16 am
nothing. the purpose of government is to improve the lives of the citizens. if it doesn't do that, then you don't need to have it. you know? >> rose: yeah. people elect people, they go to washington, nothing happens, and then, you know, the politicians spend most of their time dunning people for money, nothing happens, and it just happens over and over again. there are a lot of people in this country that really, you know, feel they're being mistreated. >> rose: fed up. and along comes donald trump with a lot of solution that he promised to fix that, said i'll take care of that. >> rose: negotiate with the chinese, i'll get a new deal, i'll negotiate a good deal. >> sounds good, but then you have to say, but how are you going to do that? and he takes a little time to explain it sometimes, but i'll say one thing here, we're not going to tell the chinese what to do. they're not just sitting there
12:17 am
waiting for us to say, hey, what do we need to do here? no. every one of these actions will cause a reaction. you know, we have to -- one of the reasons that i think the pacific trade partnership is a good thing is it brings our allies in that part of the world together and shows we're one for all and all for one out in that part of the world. >> rose: john, is this going to be a debate in which there is not much to talk about trade, economic policy and income insecurity, but more about personality and more about i'll make this a referendum on her or i'll make this a referendum on him? >> that's what it's about. is hillary clinton too terrible to be president or donald trump too terrible to be president? we'll talk about tissues but that will be the gut level campaign going on with tissues. >> the trump campaign has the objective to drive up her
12:18 am
negatives around it's their belief if they can convince people she's worse than him, he'll win. you will see a good part of the same strategy on the other side, if they can drive up was negatives and convince people he's worse than she is, she will be. charlie, this is not going to be an election and campaign we'll be proud of. >> rose: but will we look back and say it was a disruption of american politics and changed american politics forever? >> it may well, but i tell you for sure what it's going to be. it's going to be one of the dirtiest, nastiest campaigns that we've had in a long time. >> the republican side, there are plenty -- it will be see who
12:19 am
steps up to represent each. but on the republican side you don't know if it will be more chaos if donald trump wins or loses because if he wins there is a big chunk of the party that doesn't want to work for him. there is a split on the republican side and a lot of people are already positioning for a post-trump world because they recognize the political imperative which is the country is changing. >> rose: including ted cruz. exactly. i think our political infrastructure in this country is, we talk about our roads and bridges, i think our infrastructure politically is in worse shape than our roads and bridges. what's happened is the system has been so overwhelmed by money that serious people just don't want to -- >> rose: but always up there but never succeed. >> people think campaign reform
12:20 am
is about politics. it's hard to get them to understand the connection that it's about them. >> donald trump does not have a reform agenda. ross perot said the same thing, he was going to change the system. donald trump doesn't have a proposal, he just said we'll get everyone in line. that's a problem. >> rose: we'll be right back. stay with us. >> rose: we continue with joel benenson, a senior political strategist for the clinton campaign. i am pleased to have him here this evening. michelle obama set a tone. >> definitely. >> rose: made it about family, made it about commitment to the next generation. >> and values. >> rose: and values. i think when you talk about children and families, i think it's the thing people think of
12:21 am
first when they think of hillary clinton. i think as long as she's been in the public eye, if there is anything people associate with her, it is the causes on behalf of children and families. they've known about it from the beginning. beginning. >> rose: my impression is bill clinton will attempt to describe the hillary clinton he knows. >> well, i haven't seen the speech. he's famous for writing at the very last minute. people think that's a quirk, but mario cuomo used to do that, too. i know you knew governor cuomo who was is first political figure i worked with when i left journalism and he said why shouldn't i keep writing it until i'm totally satisfied? i think it will be personal and powerful. i think he can tell uniquely -- >> rose: he knows other things people don't know. >> it's 40 years of watching this woman, knowing as well as anybody, being partners in so many efforts, i suspect it's
12:22 am
going to be a great, wonderful, personal speech, and a speech that really extends hillary clinton's message about a better country for all of us so it works for everyone. >> rose: what's been the strategy for winning the nomination? >> that's a good question. you're asking me to look back over 15 months. we're just starting to look forward. >> rose: take a moment. when you win a nomination, any contest you have to think what's the currency of the election. the currency of the election in the nominating happens to be the delegates. we have them in every state. a couple of decades ago, not every state had these contests and the campaigns were about eight months long. you have to think, what do i need to do to get the majority of delegates. >> rose: how do you get the delegates? >> one last point, and i've said this a couple of times today because people say you pivot
12:23 am
this and that way, my belief is the candidates who try to pivot after the primaries never do well. when you run for president, you have to run one campaign from beginning to end, no pivot. you have to show the american people today, especially with the media as intense and long and 24 hours, you have to show the people every minute what your campaign will be about. if you're talking about making a real difference in people's lives, developing real solutions to help their families get ahead and stay ahead, you have to know from day one that's a strategy not only for winning in the primaries but winning in the general election. >> rose: do you think you have succeeded so far in making that case, in articulating that case well? >> i do. i think, look, we run against a very tough competitor. a lot of people didn't know bernie sanders when he started. he tapped into not just the energy and excitement of younger voters but, you know, he diagnosed what many, many, many people feel in america which is
12:24 am
that the deck is stacked in favor of those at the top and hard-working americans aren't getting the rewards of their work they used to and they want that restored and revived and hillary clinton has been talking about that from the day she got into the campaign and that's what she said from day one if you go back to her initial video, her first early tours in new hampshire and iowa, that's what she was putting front and center, how to make a difference in peopleas lives to help them get ahead and stay ahead because they have been struggling for awheel to come out of the crisis but aren't where people wrant to be. >> rose: what does she have to do better? >> you know, it's a tough question. you always want to do some things better. 30 million people voted, she got the most votes of any democratic in a primary and she is the nominee. we get a lot of scrutiny and i think we should. look, i think we have to continue to make a very clear case on both the value side of
12:25 am
where we're going to take america and on the economic side, there are three things people want to know -- which one of these people can i count on to keep our country and my family safe, who will build an economy where me and my family can get ahead and have a future and who will build our values? this convention is stronger together. we're running against a candidate and a republican party that's been as divisive as i've ever seen it in candidates. the candidate has been saying hateful things about different kinds of americans, an american judge of mexican december sent, american judge of muslims, some who have been heros, serving our country, and paints people with a broad, negative brush. the other thing is we have an optimistic vision. i think we have to reaffirm the vision every day, we have been doing it. donald trump is talking down america. i think hillary clinton believes we're the greatest country on earth. >> rose: it must be resonating with somebody. he won the republican
12:26 am
nomination. people are a lot more experienced in politics, governors who were admired, like jeb bush and others, people who were admired in the senate, and he won. he said something that struck the heart of republican primary voters and in the polls now -- >> exactly, the republican primary vote snores look at the polls now in terms of where the election stands. it's within two or three points. >> we always have close elections. we don't have many blowouts in presidential elections. >> rose: is donald trump resonating with voters who have experienced this economic discontent, this economic and income insecurity? >> i believe he's resonating with some hard-core republicans who he's not appealing to beyond his base, they're part of his base. you're talking about he defeated these experienced candidates. i think one mistake the republicans made which hillary clinton hasn't, these guys didn't take him seriously.
12:27 am
these guys didn't take imon. think about how many of them started saying the same things he was saying, right? he's building a wall. they're all starting to rail against immigrants even harder and harsher than they have been in the last few years. we took donald trump on during the primaries before most of the republican candidates did. there is a -- >> there is a reason why. i don't want to filibuster here, because the things he says, the divisive and hateful rhetoric doesn't reflect the values of the american people, particularly the moderates, middle of the road, kind of modulated when they look at politics overall, they haven't shown he can reach beyond their base. >> rose: people predict it will be a very nasty campaign. hillary clinton says he's not going to respond to some of those things. you had obama say last night,
12:28 am
when they go low, we go high. is that what hillary clinton going to do? is she going to go aspirational or fight back with the play by chicago rules if they come in for the night -- >> i think you decide during the course of the campaign when to respond and not to. i think that you know that a candidate comments and attacks are so divisive and vitriolic that people just roll their eyes at it you may not engage. on the other hand, we're not going to wait one second at some of the things donald trump is saying and doing, but not just with hillary clinton, about what he's saying about america, we're not going to let him go down and talk about america day after day. we're not going to let him pair down people. hillary clinton is going to talk about a aspirational goal for america, what we've done at our best which is lifting each other up and not tearing each other down. >> rose: ronald reagan ran a
12:29 am
campaign in 1984, morning in america. >> morning in america. >> rose: what phrase comes up for the clinton campaign? >> i think right now in terms of the vein you're talking about, it's stronger together. >> rose: stronger together. you have two very clear visions here right now about where we want to take the rty and we started thatcanyry we convention pitting americans against each other, pitting people against each other, demeaning women, talking down people, many of whom have served in our military, calling immigrants to this country rapists, drug dealers, that's not how we build america up, it's not what we've ever done when we have been defeated and i think hillary's vision of building a better future by working together -- >> rose: and immigration a pathway to citizenship? >> on comprehensionive
12:30 am
immigration reform, people who have been living here a long time have to do certain things to get on the pathway which republicans created ten years ago, sponsored by john mccain and promoted by president george w. bush. what happened to that party? >> rose: what do you think is going to happen to that party? the democratic party is already characterized as a different party than bill clinton's party. >> true. i think what's happened is the country changes. with every generation, now everybody is focused on millennials. >> rose: why hasn't she reached millennials? >> why couldn't bernie sanders reach people over 40? when you slice the electorate -- >> rose: but that's your job to slice the electorate and figure them out. >> right, but we did well with millennials who are somewhat independent and we did well with
12:31 am
those groups throughout the primaries. what we have to do is talk with the millennials and every voter that we think is within our range that we can communicate with about our progressive vision about how we want to take this country economically. if we don't help families educate their kids and manage their lives and work lives as parents, we won't build the economy they need if we don't make the investments in the modernizing in our schools, power grids and making us the clean energy super powery the jobs of the future are, we're not going to lead in the 21s 21st century like the 20t 20th century and that's what we need to do to make the country strong. >> rose: do you think the people supporting bernie sanders will come around? >> i think they will. i think tonight you heard by acclamation there was a pretty unanimous cheer in the hall. i think everybody was glad we'd done that. we'd come together on the platform, found compromises and issues where there are differences, and when bernie sanders stands up and talks to his supporters and says i'm going to do everything to make sure we do everything we can to make sure donald trump doesn't
12:32 am
become president of the united states and we're going to elect hillary clinton, i think they'll work with him. >> rose: thank you. good to have you. >> good to be here. >> rose: we'll be right back, stay with us. >> rose: we continue this evening with jeff greenfield, the political analyst, author and former cbs senior political correspondent and a friend of this program and i'm pleads to have him this night on this program. welcome. >> nice to be here. >> rose: i want to talk about writing speeches. >> yeah. >> rose: you wrote speeches for john lindsay, bobby kennedy. you're pretty good at it. >> most the politicians. >> rose: what's the art? it's essentially two things. one is you've got to understand the distinction between the written word and the spoken word. you have to be clear when you write. most importantly, you have to find the voice of the person for
12:33 am
whom you're writing. because you can write the most greatest speech and if it doesn't fit it's like a 38 regular on a guy who wears a 48 and people know it. people can sense if you're using language you're not familiar with. in a speech, because people are listening, they can't see it, so specifics, tell stories, paint the pictures, use five-point extractions. >> rose: how would you like bill clinton, speaking tonight, we don't see it because we're taping this before his speech begins, 9:00 in philadelphia about now, but he is known as an explaining rather than an inspirational, and barack obama is much more an inspiring, broad -- >> absolutely. first thing if i was his speech
12:34 am
writer i would have a lot of antacid. he's almost like a jazz musician who in the middle of the speech will pick up on it and then take it -- in the 2012 speech which i just read which is something everybody should look at -- >> rose: tell us why before you go on. >> because he's speaking in ordinary language. he's saying to people, why do my administration have circles. he says arithmetic. simple math. what third and fourth graders do. he'll stop and ask questions almost like a sermon. you know what the republicans said? here's what they said, can you believe that? >> rose: he will also say, let's unpack that. very much a sense of let's look at these problems together. >> and if you believe this, vote for the other guy, but if you
12:35 am
believe like i do -- then part of the rhetoric, he goes into extremely detailed account of the stimulus and what barack obama's healthcare plan is. so, at the same time, he seems to be speaking very colloquially. i think he has a difficult challenge explaining why his wife should be president than barack obama for all kinds of reasons. >> rose: he has a more difficult time why? >> because hillary clinton's problem as every poll indicated in a strong sense that people for some reason don't trust her, and it's one thing to try to say to somebody, the person i'm telling you you should vote for has great ideas and vision for america, that's relatively easy with clinton because she has a basketful of policies. but to try convince people your spouse should not be judged untrustworthy, that's a hard row
12:36 am
to hoe because he's her husband. >> rose: particular issue -- it's tougher. >> rose: unless you can tell her stories nobody knows. if you can tell stories about her that the public doesn't know, which is not the public person. david brooks wrote an interesting column talking about what we know about her is policy. we don't know her personal story as much. we know the trials and struggles because of her relationship with him and what happened while they were in the white house, but we don't know, as david made the point, we don't know -- we know a lot about barack obama, how much he liked to play golf, play basketball, read, we know the kinds of conversations he has, we know he likes to sing and we know he likes jazz, all that kind of thing. we don't know anything about her do, we? >> part of the dilemma -- i want to be careful about this -- is judgment-based so far. i think she's been so burned either by unfair or fair attacks
12:37 am
that she parses every word. i think it's like a seven-second tape delay that every word is being weighed, is this going to get me in trouble. the thing people love about bill clinton is spontaneity. one thing about donald trump is he does not censor himself. i think that's part of the problem. out of all of the speech writers, howany times will you try to reinvent somebody? how many slogans? and what we're still waiting for, i think, maybe they'll do it first tonight, is a sense of her vulnerability, a sense that she may have not just for herself and the democratic party that we've dropped the ball on things like globalization and its impact. >> rose: and understanding its impact. and jobs were going overseas.
12:38 am
>> even that, here's what we didn't do. >> rose: that would suggest authenticity. >> there was also michelle obama talking about children. she has authenticity. we know and admire her children. we've seen her children. she talked about the concern for them. that's a very human thing. >> that speech will rank as one of the great convention speeches, period, and one of the reasons is she never mentioned donald trump's name. and when she took him to task, it was i tell my children, when
12:39 am
someone goes low you go high. we are the greatest country. we expect that almost from a republican convention. i thought that speech was a reflection of her. it absolutely hit notes that you then ask, okay, would hillary clinton give such a speech? >> rose: maybe we'll find out. if she does that, she's on her way to building a different bond with the american people. >> i think so, and it's a hard climb because she's been around for 24 years. when james comey implied she hadn't been straight with them, i think that was a body blow to which they desperately need to try to repair at this convention. >> rose: they have not. they have not repaired it period. she doesn't want to acknowledge she was careless. she will say he clarified the
12:40 am
remarks, and he did but not by saying she wasn't careless. she said, i made a mistake. >> she said mistakes were made. i guess she said i made a mistake. >> rose: she said i made a mistake. >> there is a certain sense that people are waiting to see whether or not this person who is talk about the kind of programs she wants will actually then reveal who she is. and the democrats have been telling the white working class we know how to fix the impact of global issues. speeches going back to 2008, 2012. at what point do you say that's nice words, 16th anniversary of the first time we've heard that. that's a problem for this party. >> rose: for speech writers,
12:41 am
writing speeches that are novels is this. >> in this case i'm thinking about policy. >> rose: fact rather than fiction. >> yes. >> rose: but talk about donald trump and what he did and that speech. you have described in an interview i saw -- >> it has been a speech like trump himself. political rhetoric. he cites nobody else in the speech but himself. nothing exists other than donald trump. and the sentence that made my hair stand on end is i alone can fix this. everyone else will say we'll talk to industry and -- but he says i alone can fix this.
12:42 am
but the people hear it in a different way. people say, wait, that's one man rules. we've had all these years of political rhetoric telling us they would work together and they turned their backs on us, and now we have a guy for us. the world tribune, that is the spokesman for the roman totaltarianism. and donald trump is telling people, i'm rich, powerful -- >> rose: is that what they want to hear? >> enough to give him the nomination. >> rose: they're saying, we tried everything else, those who voted for donald trump, and the system is broken. he says i'll fix the system. they think it is broken and unfair. >> i can't tell you how many trump supporters use the same
12:43 am
words, he says what i can't say. part of that is ugly because they're talking about i'm not politically correct, which is fine, but they say we can say really nasty things about people and part of it is he's rich and powerful enough to stick it to those people. >> rose: he knows it and he's one of them. >> he can't be bought, that was one of the claims. normally, rich people in america don't like to talk about how rich they are. he's saying look how rich i am, i can do this. >> rose: we'll be right back. stay with us. >> rose: we conclude with nancy cordes of cbs news and jonathan karl of abc news. what a nice combination, welcome. >> good to be here. >> rose: jeff greenfield, you went to work with him. >> absolutely. >> rose: you have been covering hillary clinton, been chief political correspondent covering with a broader
12:44 am
perspective and at the white house. bill clinton speaks tonight. we're taping this at 9:00 before knowing exactly what his speech is. what do you suspect? >> we have been told this will be a very personal speech. bill clinton does personal pretty well. >> rose: yes. and he, of course, can make an argument for his wife that most people cannot. she probably doesn't want to talk about everything, but in the early part of this campaign, he was talking about the fact she's a very effective changemaker. that's a word he used often. talked about not only did she have big goals but saw them through is that that's essential for them because they're saying she's part of the establishment. donald trump is saying i am change, i have been around, she's been part of the problem. >> in a way, it's almost a contrast with president obama because basically what he's saying is anybody, bernie sanders, whoever, can tell you they have big goals, but being
12:45 am
able to achieve those goals is really what's important. that's the only thing that moves the ball forward and his argument is that she can do it because she's dogged, because she forms relationships and because she knows policy better than anybody else. >> charlie, you've spokennen at every democratic convention since 1980. it's an incredible thing. 2012 he earned nickname of explainer in chief by taking on the arguments from mitt romney and the reps. >> rose: and explained himself better than barack obama. >> and in 200 2004 gave a detaid and forceful policy speech on behalf of john kerry primary on foreign policy. this we're told is not going to be much of a policy speech but a more personal speech. >> rose: which is interesting. he's the guy who can explain pollsies in a way to make it understandable. this is not about policy, though. it's about human connection.
12:46 am
>> he needs to humanize her because she's got a lot of politicians on the stage who can talk about her policy achievements and goals. >> rose: including tim kaine. she needs more people to come out there and, for whatever reason, rightly or wrongly, the american public after all this time still feels there are pieces of hillary clinton that are missing that they don't know. so when you have her husband speaking as a husband, this will really be a first, he can try and convey a more personal side of her. >> rose: you have said this before, she knows they don't trust her. >> yes. >> rose: she knows she's unpopular and she's trying to do something about it. recognition. >> yes, and she started talking about it because i think she realizes if she didn't, she would seem oblivious. >> rose: right. if she is aware when it comes to honesty and trust worstiness
12:47 am
that her numbers are not good and ignoring it is not going to help, but from time to time, not all the time, but from time to time she will say i'm aware that people think that i'm not trustworthy, and i want to work on that. i think about that. i try to figure out why that is. and i wouldn't be surprised if president clinton himself addresses this tonight. the case he's always made is that, you know, you know someone by looking at who their friends are and how long they've had their friends and she's had the same friends since grade school. in fact one of them spoke up for her in the roll call states tonight. >> rose: he argues there have been private causes nobody knows she's done on the human side that she wasn't doing for it political reasons. >> both these nominees have a similar problem. you know -- >> rose: they say they're the
12:48 am
two least popular people to ever run for president at the same time. >> we have the situation at the start of the campaign both nominees are underwater in terms of favorability, and we still don't know what kind of balance donald trump got out to have the convention. but he did seem to do something on the favorability including primarily probably because his children came out humanizing him, and some of the post connection polls show him actually being more favorable than she is. >> rose: do we think that will change in this convention? has this convention addressed the bernie and the problem with bernie? >> it's amazing the change in the mood in the last 24 hours. yesterday there was anger, bitterness, division, bernie sanders delegates, many of them still thinking they could
12:49 am
somehow with some miracle capture this nomination. they thought it was stolen from them because to have the d.n.c. e-mails. i think the big thing that started to change that was michelle obama giving the speech. it was something everybody in this hall was cheering, even the most hard-core bernie sanders supporters. it transcended the candidate. >> rose: i think i fol told you it's gone down as one of the best convention speeches ever. >> people want to hear the human side michelle obama or ivanka trump talked about. people are puzzled about these candidates and want to know more about what makes them tick and why they are the way they are. i think the windows into their personality whether michelle obama or bill clinton or ivanka trump will go down as the most memorable speeches of these cofngzs. >> rose: tell me about tim
12:50 am
kaine and his relationship with hillary clinton. >> i think they're a mirror image of each other. they both grew up in the midwest to phat horse had small businesses, both went to prestigious law schools yale and harvard. both married high school sweethearts, both took low paying jobs working on civil rights, both worked in virginia and both in the senate. they're two people who can understand each other and the way they tick more. you can see that quickly on the campaign trail. i think it surprised a lot of us e was beaming because youe could tell -- and i think there were a lot of other politicians, i've seen her with the president on the campaign trail, elizabeth warren, bernie sanders, she was certainly quite pleased they were there and saying nice things about her, but it was a
12:51 am
different atmosphere between the two of them, partly that's his personality, he's known as a sunny guy. >> yeah, and since there's no real personal history there. he was running for city council in richmond, virginia, when bill clinton was in the white house. they certainly didn't know each other in the early phases of tim kaine's political career. they did not overlap in the senate, and tim kaine was the first governor to endorse barack obama. you know, that was a bitter campaign. you know, there's been reporting about the kind of enemies list. they kept a very good record of who was supporting who. he was on the other side of that very contention -- contentious campaign. >> rose: i think tim was one of obama's best friends in the senate, too. >> they were very close. but this time around he was one of the very earliest to support hillary clinton. i get the sense that, of course,
12:52 am
you know, the campaign will -- you know, they waited until the end and she made this decision in the final hours, but you just get the sense that, you know, this is a woman who has been running or thinking of running for president for ten years. >> rose: bill clinton on the campaign trail, do you see them together or are they always separate? how much will he be in the campaign and what does she envision as his role if eshe's elected -- if she's elected? >> they're typically separate except for big moments except thursday night, i'm sure they will be together here. he tends to go to areas where he personally is quite popular and where they feel that he can do a lot of good for the party, go to smaller towns, not always big cities like she's willing to, to get the most people. and he has his own vibe.
12:53 am
she will be appearing, i think, a lot with tim kaine. so there's always been the sense that perhaps it's better not to have him overshadow her. >> rose: and what role in the white house? >> she says he's going to be right there with her working on the economy, working on jobs and revitalizing, neighborhoods that have been hard hit by manufacturing losses. some people questioned whether she should be giving so much of her portfolio away. >> although what she suggested a while back of whether he would be put in charge of chick revitalization, they walked that back. he's an unpopular figure with those 1900 delegates down here for bernie sanders because this is the president that signed nafta into law, this was the president that was a free trade moderate, welfare reforming, third way, triangulation moderate democrat. this is not a president that --
12:54 am
>> rose: the biggest hurdle she has to overcome to become president? >> she has to convince people she's honest and trustworthy and somehow become more likable. she feeds to find -- she needs to find a way to appeal to independents because independents are fleeing her in droves. >> rose: fleeing her in. she has terrible numbers among independents. donald trump does, too, but, you know, she's going to have to find a way to work with the independents. >> she has to convince people that the skills she brings to the table are important and at the perhaps she doesn't have, you know, the typical campaigners' brilliance, but that she is a thinker. >> rose: she says i don't have the same political instincts, i'm not as good politician as my husband is. >> i don't think she gets as much credit as she should for being very eloquent on the campaign trail,. >> rose: approachable. but she's a listener and is someone who is more comfortable
12:55 am
in a round-the-table setting like we're having here talking about policy issues. so she has to convince people, you know, i'll be very good at governing, eveif you don't think i'm the world's most exciting candidate. >> and winning is a stay-the-course candidate in a time when people are unhappy with addressing the country as a challenge. she effectively was running with barack obama. >> rose: that she's running as a third candidate for barack obama. >> she's running to continue his legacy? >> rose: the president would like to say that. >> one thing they agree on. >> rose: so great to have you. thank you so much. thank you for joining us this evening. for more about this program and earlier episodes, visit us online at pbs.org and charlierose.com. captioning sponsored by rose communications captioned by media access group at wgbh access.wgbh.org
12:56 am
>> rose: funding for "charlie rose" has been provided by: >> and by bloomberg, a provider of multimedia news and information services worldwide.
12:57 am
12:58 am
12:59 am
1:00 am
this is "nightly business report" with tyler mathisen and sue >> apple impresses. world's most valuable publicly trad sells more iphones than expected proferring demand isn't waivering for the flag ship product. >> so far, so good. earnings are coming in slightly bettexpected. but there's one 1, 2, 3 inning th -- thi that is making people nervous. >> a multibillion dollar purchase and some of the biggest names in silicon valley are taking notice. those stories and more tonight on "nightly business report" for tuesday, july 26th. good evening, everyone. welcome. by now you probably know that we spent a lot of time talking about corporate earnings this time o

98 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on