Skip to main content

tv
Trump
Archive
  PBS News Hour Debates 2016 A Special Report  PBS  October 9, 2016 6:00pm-7:40pm PDT

6:00 pm
>> i know about isis than the generals do. >> i have sat at that table in the situation room. >> nobody knows the system better than me. i alone can fix it. >> i'm going to close my campaign focused on opportunities for kids and fairness for families. >> hillary failed on the economy. everything she touched didn't work out. >> even if you're totally opposed to you may still have some questions about me.
6:01 pm
>> ifill: good evening, i'm gwen ifill. >> woodruff: and i'm judy woodruff. welcome to this pbs newshour special: coverage of the second presidential debate between democrat hillary clinton and republican donald trump. the stage is set at washington university in st. louis. the most unconventional campaign in modern presidential history has reached entirely new levels. friday's release of the video tape from 2005 of donald trump using lewd language and bragging about making unwanted sexual advances on women has prompted a number of republicans to withdraw their support from their party's nominee. >> ifill: tonight's debate will be a town hall format where hillary clinton and donald trump will be taking questions from an audience of uncommitted voters, as well as from moderators martha raddatz of "abc news" and anderson cooper of cnn. joining us at our table are our regular newshour contributors:
6:02 pm
syndicated columnist mark shields, "new york times" columnist david brooks, and amy walter of "the cook political report." in another unprecedented turn: donald trump staged a surprise appearance little more than an hour ago with four women, three of who whom accused bill clinton of sexual assault or harassment. in response clinton come pain says we're not surprised see donald trump continue his destructive race to the bottom. friends. the moral equivalency wars are in full -- i don't know, sway, david? >> this could be one of the most historic and repulsive debates to the american political history. we've entered reality tv show of the bottom level. and so i'm expecting a traffic accident frankly what trump did will backfire badly as more republicans flee from him. >> woodruff: how much of all this stuff will come up tonight? >> the fact that i can't let my fourth grader watch a presidential debate tells you all you need to know about where we are in this campaign and what i expect from it.
6:03 pm
i think donald trump's before he had this press conference my thought either going to come in do contrition or battive. we know obviously which half he chose. he has decided throughout the course to double down, triple down, any time he's challenged only interested in talking to his faithful, never interested in reaching beyond that. >> ifill: are we talking about policy debate or personality? >> talking about donald trump trying to save his candidacy. stop republicans from fleeing him. making it a clinton race again. i think unsuccessfully. >> woodruff: here are the moderators more that raddatz and anderson cooper. >> good evening. i'm martha raddatz from abc news. >> welcome you to st. louis to the sec presidential debate between hillary clinton and donald trump. sponsored by the commission on presidential debates.
6:04 pm
tonight's debate is a town hall format which gives voters a chance to directly ask the candidates questions. martha and i will ask follow-up questions but the night belongs to the people in this room and to people across the country who have submitted questions online. >> the people you see on this stage were chosen by the gallup organization, they are all from the st. louis area, told gallup they haven't committed to a candidate. each of them came here with questions they want to ask and we saw those questions for the first time this morning. anderson and i and our team from abc and cnn are the only ones who have seen them. both candidates will have two minutes to answer each audience and online question, we hope the get to as many questions as we can so we've asked the audience here not to have any applause except for now, ladies and gentlemen, the republican nominee for president, john called j. trump and the democratic nominee for president hillary clinton. [ applause ]
quote quote
6:05 pm
>> thank you very much for being here. we'll begin with a questirom one of the members in our town hall, each of you will have two minutes to respond. secretary clinton you won the coin toss you'll go first our first question comes from patrice brock. >> thank you. good evening. the last president fall debate could have been -- rated as ma mature audiences per tv parental guidelines. knowing educators of students homework, do you feel you're modeling appropriate and behavior for today's youth?
6:06 pm
>> thank you, are you a teacher? >> i think that's a very good question. because i've heard from lots of teachers and parents about some of their concerns about some of the things that are being said and done in this campaign. and i think it is very important for us to make clear to our children that our country really is great because we're good. and we are going to respect one another, lift each other up. we are going to be looking for ways to celebrate our diversity. and we are going to try to reach out to every boy and girl as well as every adult to bring them in to working on behalf of our country. i have a very positive and optimistic view about what we can do together. that's why the slogan of my campaign is stronger together. because i think if we work together, if we overcome the
6:07 pm
divisiveness that sometimes sets americans against one another and instead we make some big goals and i've set forth some big goals getting the economy to work for everyone, not just those at the top. making sure that we have the best education system from preschool through college and making it affordable, and so much else. if we set those goals and we go together to try to achieve them, there's nothing in my opinion that america can't do. so that's why i hope that we will come together in this campaign, obviously i'm hoping to earn your vote. i'm hoping to be elected in november and i can promise you, i will work with every american, i want to be the president for all americans. regardless of your political beliefs, where you come from, what uplook like, your religion. i want us to heal our country and bring it together. because that's i think the best way for us to get the future that our children and our grandchildren deserve. >> secretary clinton.
Check
6:08 pm
mr. trump you have two minutes. >> well, i actually agree with that. i agree with everything she said. i began this campaign because i was so tired of seeing such foolish things happen to our country. this is a great country. this is a great land. i have gotten to know the people of the country over the last year and a half that i've been doing this as a politician. i cannot believe i'm saying that about myself but i guess i have been a politician. and my whole concept was to make america great again. when i watch the deals being made, when i watch what's happening with some horrible things like obamacare where your health insurance and healthcare is going up by numbers that are astronomical, 68%, 59%, 71% when i look at the iran deal how bad a deal it is for us, it's a one-sided transaction where we're giving back $150 billion to a terrorist state, really the
6:09 pm
number one terrorist state. we've made them aing to country from a weak country just three years ago. when i look at all of the thinge potential that our country has, we have such tremendous potential, whether it's in business and trade where we're doing so badly. last year we had an almost $800 billion trade deficit. in other words, trading with other countries. we had $800 billion deficit. it's hard to believe. inconceivable. you say who is making these deals? we're going to make grade deals. have a strong border. bring back law and order. just today a policemen were shot, two killed, this is happening on a weekly basis. we have to bring back respect to law enforcement. the same time we have to take care of people on all sides. we need justice. but i want to do things that haven't been done including fixing and making our inner cities better for african
quote quote quote
6:10 pm
american citizens that are so great and for latinos, hispanics and i look forward to doing th this. make america great again. >> thank you, mr. trump. the question from patrice was about are you both modeling positive and appropriate behaviors for today's youth. we received lot of questions online, mr. trump, about the tape that was released friday you can imagine you called what you said locker room banter, kissing women without constent, grabbing their genitals that is sexual assault. you dragged that you have sexually assaulted women. do you understand that? >> no, i didn't say that at all. i don't think you understood what was said. this was locker room talk. i'm not proud of it. i apologized to my family, i apologized to the american people. certainly i'm not proud of it. but this is locker room talk. when we have a world where you have isis chopping off heads, where you have -- frankly drowning people in steel cages where you have wars and horrible, horrible sites all over, where you have so many bad
quote quote
6:11 pm
things happening, this is like medieval times, we haven't seen anything like this. the carnage all over the world. and they look and they see, can you imagine the people that are frankly doing so well against us with isis. and they look at our country they see what is going on. yes, i'm very embarrassed by it. i hate it. but it's locker room talk. and it's one of those things, i will knock the hell out of isis. we're going to defeat isis. isis happened number of years ago in a vacuum that was left because of bad judgment i well tell you, i will take care of isis. >> mr. trump -- get on to much more important things and much bigger things. >> just for the record, though, are you saying that what you said on that bus 11 years ago that did you not actually kiss women without consent or grope women without concement. >> i have great respect for women. no one has more respect for women than i do. >> you're saying you never did that? >> frankly, you hear these things. they are said. i was embarrassed by it.
6:12 pm
but i have tremendous respect for women. >> have you ever done -- i have respect for me. i will tell you, no, i have not. i will tell you that i'm going to make our country safe. we're going to have borders, which we don't have now. people are pouring into our country. and they're coming in from the middle east and other places. we're going to make america safer again. we're going to make america great again. but going to make america safe again and wealthy again. because if you don't do that, it just -- sounds harsh to say, but we have to build up the wealth of -- >> thank you, mr. trump. >> they're taking our wealth that's what i want to talk about. >> secretary clinton do you want to respond? >> well, like everyone else, i've spent a lot of time thinking over the last 48 hours about what we heard and saw. you know, with prior republican nominees for president, i disagreed with them. on politics, policies, principle, but i never
6:13 pm
questioned their fitness to serve. donald trump is different. i said starting back in june that he was not fit to be president and commander in chief. and many republicans and independents have said the same thing. what we all saw and heard on friday was donald talking about women. what he thinks about women. what he does to women. and he has said that the video doesn't represent who he is. but i think it's clear to anyone who heard it that it represents exactly who he is. because we've seen this throughout the campaign. we have seen him insult women. we have seen him rate women on their appearance, ranking them from one to ten. we've seen him embarrass women on tv and on twitter.
6:14 pm
we saw him after the first debate depend nearly a week denigrating a former miss universe in the harshest, post personal term. so, yes, this is who donald trump s. but it's not only women and it's not only this video that raises questions about his fitness to be our president. because he has also targeted immigrants, african americans, latinos, people with disabilities, p.o.w.s, muslims, so many others. so this is who donald trump is. the question for us, the question our country must answer is, this is not who we are. that's why to go back to your question, i want to send a message, we all should, to every boy and girl and deed to the
6:15 pm
entire world, that america already is great but we are great because we are good. and we will respect one another and we will work with one another. and we will celebrate our diversity. these are very important values to me. because this is the america that i know and love. and i can pledge to you tonight that this is the america that i will serve if i'm so fortunate enough to become your president. >> we want to get to some questions -- >> well i'd like to respond to that. i assume i am. >> you can respond to that. >> it's just words, folks. it's just words. those words have been hearing for many years. i heard them when they were running for the senate in new york where hillary was going to bring back jobs to upstate new york. and she failed. i've heard them where hillary is constantly talking about the inner cities of our country which are a disaster,
6:16 pm
education-wise, job-wise, safety-wise. in every way possible. i'm going to help the african americans, i'm going to help the latinos, hispanics, i'm going to help the inner cities. she's done a terrible job for the african americans. she wants their vote and she does nothing then she comes back four years later. we saw that firsthand when she was the united states senator. she campaigned where the -- >> mr. frump -- i want to get to audience questions online questions. >> so, she's allowed to do that but i'm not allowed -- >> you're going to get to respond right now. >> sounds fair. >> with intense interest in just 48 hours it's become the single most talked about story of the entire 2016 election on facebook. with millions and millions of people discussing it on the social network. as we said a moment ago we do want to bring in questions from voters around the country via social media our first on this topic, jeff from ohio, asks on
quote
Check
6:17 pm
facebook. trump says the campaign has changed him. when did that happen? mr. trump let me add to that when you walked off that bus at age 59 were you a different man or did that behavior continue until just recently? and you have two minutes -- >> as i told that you was locker room talk. i am not proud of it. i am a person who has great respect for people, for my family, for the people of this country. and certainly i'm not proud of it. but that was something that happened. if you look at bill clinton, far worse, minor words and his was action. his was what he's done to women, there's never been anybody in the history of politics in this nation that has been so abusive to women. so, you can say, any way you want to say it but bill clinton was abusive to women. hillary clinton attacked those shame women. attacked them viciously. four of them are here tonight.
6:18 pm
one of the women who is a wonderful woman at 12 years old was raped at 12. her client, she represented got him off and she seen laughing on two separate occasions, laughing at the girl who was raped. kathy shelton, that young woman, is here with us tonight. so, don't tell me about words. i am absolutely, i apologize for those words. but it is things that people s say. but what president clinton did, he was impeached, he lost his license to practice law. he had to pay an $850,000 fine to one of the women. paula jones, who is also here tonight. and i will tell you that when hillary brings up a point like that she talks about words that i said 11 years ago, i think it's disgraceful and i think she should be ashamed of herself, if you want to know the truth.
quote quote
6:19 pm
[ applause ] >> can we please hold the applause? secretary clinton, you have two minutes. >> well, first, let me start by saying, so much of what he's just said is not right but he gets to run his campaign anyway he chooses. gets to decide what he wants to talk about. instead of answering people's questions, talking about our agenda, laying out the plans that we have that we thinking make a better life and a better country. that's his choice. when i hear something like that, i am reminded of what my friend, michelle obama advised us all. when they go low, you go high. [ applause ] and, look, if this were just about one video, maybe what he's saying tonight would be understandable. but everyone can draw their own
Check
6:20 pm
conclusions at this point about whether or not the man in the video or the man on the stage respects women. but he never apologized for anything to anyone. he never apologized to mr. and mrs. kahn, the gold star family whose son, captain kahn died in the like of duty in iraq. and donald insulted and attacked them for weeks over their religion. he never apologized to the distinguished federal judge who was born in indiana, but donald said he couldn't be trusted to be a judge because his parents were, quote, mexican. he never apologized to the reporter that he mimicked and mocked on national television and our children were watching. and he never 'pom guyed for the praysist lie that president obama was not born in the united
quote
6:21 pm
states of america he owes the president an apology. he owes our country an apology. and he needs to take responsibility for his actions and his words. >> well, you owe the president an apology because as you know very well your campaign, sid deblumenthal, another real winner that you have. and he's the one that got this started along with your campaign manager they were on television just two weeks ago, she was, saying exactly that. so you really owe him an apology you're the one that sent the pictures around your campaign, sent the pictures around with president obama in certain garb that was long before i was very involved. number two, michelle obama. i gotten to see the commercials that they did on you. and i gotten to see some of the most vicious commercials i've ever seen of michelle obama talking about you, hillary. so, you talked about friend, go
quote
6:22 pm
back take a look at those commercials. a race where you lost. fair and square. unlike the bernie sanders race where you won but not fair and square, in my opinion. all you have to do take a look at wikileaks see what they said about bernie sanders and debra wasserman schulz had in mind because bernie sanders between superdelegates and debra he never had a chance. i was so surprised see him sign on with the devil. but when you talk about apology, i think the one that should you really be apologizing for, the thing you should be apologizing for are the 33,000 e-mails that you deleted and that you acid washed then the two boxes of e-mails and other things last week that were taken from an office and are now missing. i'll tell you what. i didn't think i'd say this but i'm going to say it. i hate to say it. is but if i win, i am going to instruct my attorney general to
Check
6:23 pm
get a special prosecutor to look into your situation, because there has never been so many lies, so much deception, there has never been anything like it. we're going to have a special prosecutor, when i speak, i go out and speak, the people of this country are furious. in my opinion, the people that have been long term workers at the fbi are furious. there has never been anything like this where e-mails and you get a subpoena, and after getting the subpoena, you delete 33,000 e-mails. then you as it wash them or bleach them as you would say, very expensive process. so, we're going to get a special prosecutor and we're going to look into it because you know what, people have been -- their lives have been detried for doing one fifth of what you have done. it's a disgrace. you ought to be -- >> secretary clinton i want to follow up on that -- i'll let you talk -- >> everything gist said is
quote quote
6:24 pm
absolutely false. but i'm not surprised. in the first debate -- >> the audience needs to call down here. >> -- would be impossible to be fact checking donald all the time. i'd never get to talk about anything i want to do, how we're going to really make lives better for people. so, once again, go to hillaryclinton.com we have literally, you can fact check him in realtime. last time the first debate we had millions of people fact checking so i expects we'll have millions more fact checking because, you know, it is -- just awfully good that someone with the temperament of donald trump is not in charge of the law in our country. >> because you'd be in jail. >> secretary clinton -- [ audience reacts ] >> remind the audience to please not talk out loud, please do not applaud, you're just wasting time. >> secretary clinton i do want to follow up on e-mails.
quote quote
6:25 pm
you said you're handling your e-mails was a mistake, you disagreed with director -- fbi director call your hamming of classified information, quote, extremely careless. the fbi said that there were 110 classified e-mails that were exchanged. eight of which were top secret. that it was possible did gain access to those e-mails. saw don't call that extremely careless? >> well, martha, first let me say, i've said it before out i'll repeat because i want everyone to hear it. that was a mistake. and i take responsibility for using a personal e-mail account. obviously if i were to do it over again i would not. i'm not making any excuses. it was a mistake. i am very sorry about that. but i think it's also important to point out where there are some misleading accusations from critics and others. after a year-long investigation there is no evidence that anyone
6:26 pm
hacked the server i was using. there is no evidence that any one can pointed to, at all, anyone who says otherwise has no basis, that any classified material ended up in the wrong hands. i take classified material very seriously. and always have when i was on the senate armed services committee, i was privy to a lot of classified material. obviously as secretary of state, i had some of the most important secrets that we possess, such as going after bin laden. so, i am very committed to taking classified information seriously and as i said there is no evidence that any classified information ended up in the wrong hands. >> we're going to move on. >> and yet she didn't know the word -- let sneer c" on docume document, right, she didn't even know what that word -- what that letter meant. it's amazing i'm watching mil
6:27 pm
rego over facts. she's going after fact after fact. she's lying again. because she's said she -- what she did with e-mails was fine. you think it was fine to delete 33,000 e-mails, i don't think so. she said that 33,000 e-mails had to do with her daughter's wedding, number one. and a yoga class. well maybe we'll give three or four or five -- 33,000 e-mails deleted. now she's saying there wasn't anything wrong. more importantly that was after getting a subpoena. that wasn't before. that was after she -- she got it from the united states congress i'll be honest i am so disappointed in congressman, including republicans for allowing this to happen. our justice department where her husband goes on to the back of airplane for 39 minutes, talks to the attorney general, days before ruling is going to be made on her case. but for you to say that there was nothing wrong with you deleting 39,000 e-mails, again, you should be ashamed of yourself. what you did.
quote quote
6:28 pm
this is after getting a subpoena from the united states congress. >> we that have too move on secretary clip ton we can respond -- >> we want to give the audience a chance here. >> let alone after getting a subpoena from the united states -- >> secretary clinton you you can respond we have to move on to audience question. >> look, it's just not true. please, go to -- >> allow her to respond. >> personal e-mails, not a -- 33,000? >> well, we turned over 35,000. >> oh, yeah, what about the other -- >> please allow her to respond. she didn't talk while you talked. >> that's true, i didn't. >> because you have nothing to say. >> the first debate i'll try not to in this debate because i'd like to get to the questions that the people have brought here tonight to talk to us about. >> and get off this question. >> pock, donald. i know you're in to big diversion tonight, anything to avoid talking about your campaign the way it's exploding the way republicans are leaving you. >> let's she what happens -- allow her to respond. >> let's see what happens. >> that people care about
6:29 pm
tonight. let's get to their question. >> the question here from ken karpowicz, a question about health care. >> anderson why aren't you bringing up the e-mails? >> you brought up the e-mails. >> it hasn't. hasn't been finished at all. >> ken karpowicz has a question. >> nice to one on three. >> thank you. affordable care act known as obamacare, it is not affordable. premiums have gone up, deductibles have gone up. copays have gone up, prescriptions have gone up. and the coverage has gone down. what will you do to bring the costs down and make coverage better. >> that first one goes to secretary clinton you started out with the last one to the audience. >> he wants to start, he can start. go ahead, donald. >> i'm a gentleman, go ahead. >> secretary clinton? >> i think donald was about to say he's going to solve it by repealing it and getting rid of the affordable care act.
6:30 pm
and i'm going to fix it. because i agree with you. premiums have gotten too high, copays, deductibles, prescription drugs costs and i've laid out a series of action, is that we can take to try to get those costs down. but here is what i don't want people to forget when we're talking about raping in the costs which has to be the highest priority of the next president. when affordable care act passed it wasn't just that 20 million people got insurance who didn't have it before but that in and of itself was a good thing. i meet these people all the time. they tell me what a difference having that insurance meant to them and their families. but everybody else, 170 million of us who get health insurance through our employers, got big benefits. number one, insurance companies can't deny you coverage because of a preexisting condition. number two, no lifetime limits which is a big deal if you have
6:31 pm
serious health problems. number three, women can't be charged more than men for our health insurance, which is the way it used to be. before the affordable care act. number four, if you're under 26 and your parents have a policy you can be on that policy until the age of 26. something that didn't happen before. so, i want very much to save what works and is good about the affordable care act. but we've got to get costs down. we've got to provide some additional help to small businesses so that they can afford to provide health insurance. but if we repeal it as donald has proposed, and start over again, all of those benefits i just mentioned are lost to everybody. not just people who get their health insurance on the exchange. and then we would have to start all over again. right now we are at 90% health insurance coverage. that's highest we've ever been in our country. >> your time is up. i want to get 100% but get
6:32 pm
costs down keep quality up. >> mr. trump you have two minutes. >> it is such a great question. and it's maybement question i get almost more than anything else. outside of defense. obamacare is a disaster. you know it, we all know it. it's going up at numbers that nobody has ever seen worldwide. nobody has ever seen numbers like this for health care. it's only getting worse. in '17 it implodes by itself. their method of fixing it to go back ask congress for more and more money, we have right now almost $20 trillion in debt. obamacare will never work. it's very bad, very bad health insurance. far too expensive. not only expensive for the person that has it, unbelievably expensive for our country. it's going to be one of the biggest line items very shortly. we have to repeal it and replace it with something absolutely much less ex pennsylvania sieve. -- expensive and something that
Check
Check
6:33 pm
works, where your plan can actually be tailored we have to get rid of the lines around the state. artificial lines, where we stop insurance companies from coming in and competing, because they want, president obama and whoever was working on it, they want to leave those lines because that gives the insurance companies essentially monopolies. we want competition. you will have finest health care plan. she wants to go to single payer plan which would be disaster. somewhat similar to canada. if you ever noticed that canadians when they need a big operation when something happens they come into the united states in many cases. because their system is so slow, it's catastrophic in certain ways. but she wants to go to single payer. which means the government basically rules everything. hillary clinton has been after this for years. obamacare was the first step, obamacare is a total disaster. not only are your rates going up by numbers that nobody has ever
6:34 pm
believed, but you deductibles are going up. so that unless you get hit by a truck you are never going to be able to use it. >> mr. trump your time -- disastrous plan it has to be repealed and replaced. >> secretary clinton let me follow up your husband called obamacare, quote, craziest things in the world saying that small business owners are getting killed as premiums double, coverage cut in half, was he mistaken or was his mistake saying the truth? >> he clarified what he meant. it's very clear, we are in a situation in our country where if we were to start all over again, we might come up with a different system. but we have an employer-based system, that's where the vast majority of people get their health care. and the affordable care act was meant to try to fill the gap between people who were too poor and couldn't put together any resources to afford health care, namely people on medicaid. obviously medicare, which is a single-payer system which takes care of our elderly does a great
6:35 pm
job doing it, by the way. then all the people who were employed but people who were working but didn't have the money to afford insurance and didn't have anybody, an employer or anybody else to help them. that was the slot that the obamacare approach was to take. like i say, 20 million people now have health insurance. so, if we just rip it up and throw it away, what donald not telling you, we just turn it back to the insurance companies the way it used to be. and that means insurance companies get to do pretty much whatever they want including saying, look, i'm sorry, you got diabetes, you had cancer, your child has asthma -- >> your time is subpoena. >> you may not be able to have insurance. because you can't afford it. let's fix what's broken, but let's not throw it away and give it all back to the insurance companies -- >> let me follow u7, mr. trump, on this -- >> just one thing. everything is broken about it, everything. number two, bernie sanders said that hillary clinton has very
6:36 pm
bad judgment. this is a perfect example of it. >> mr. trump -- trying to save obamacare -- you said you want to obamacare and want to make coverage accessible to people with preexisting conditions, how do you force insurance companies to do that if you are no longer mandating -- >> you are going to have plans -- >> what does that mean? >> i'll tell you what it means. you're going to have plans that are so good because we're going to have so much competition in the insurance industry, once we break out -- once we break out the lines allow the competition to come. >> are you going to have a mandate that -- >> excuse me. president obama by keeping those lines, boundary lines around each, was almost gone until just very toward the end of the message of obamacare. which by the way was a fraud. you know that. because jonathan grouper the architect of obamacare said, it was a great lie, it was a big lie. president obama said you keep -- whole thing was a fraud it doesn't work. but when we get rid of those
quote
6:37 pm
lines, you will have competition and we will be able to keep preexisting. also be able to help people that can't get -- don't have money because we are going to have people protected and republicans feel this way. believe it or not, strongly this way we're going to block grants into the states, block grant into medicaid -- >> thank youm trim. so that we will be able to take care of people without the necessary funds to take care of themselves. >> thank you, mr. trump. >> we now go to gorbah hamed with a question for both candidates. >> there are 3.3 million -- you've mentioned working with muslim nations but with islam phobia onment rise how will you help people like me deal with the consequences of being labeled as a threat to the country after the election is over. >> mr. trump, you're first. >> well, you're right about islamphobia, that's ashame. but one thing we have to do is we have to make sure that --
Check
6:38 pm
because there is a problem. whether we like it or not, we can be very politically correct, but whether we like it or not there is a problem. and we have to be sure that muslims come in and report when they see something going on. see hatred, report it. in san bernadino, many people saw the bombs all over the apartment of the two people that killed 14 wounded many people. horribly wounded them, never be the same. muslims have to report the problems when they see them. and, you know, there's always a reason for everything. if they don't do that, it's a very difficult situation for our country. because you look at orlando. and you look at san bernadino and look at the world tradev look at paris, that horrible -- these are radical islamic terrorists. and she won't even mention the word. nor will president obama. he won't use the term.
6:39 pm
radical islamic terrorism. to solve a problem, you have to be able to state what the problem is or at least say the name. she won't say the name, president obama won't say the name. but the name is there. it's radical islamic terror. before you solve it you have to say the name. >> secretary clinton. >> well, thank you for asking your question. i've heard this question from a lot of muslim americans. across our country. because unfortunately there's been a lot of very divisive, dark things said about muslims. and even someone like captain kahn the young man who sacrificed himself defending our country in the united states army. he has been subject to attacks by donald. i want to say just a couple of things, first, we've had muslims in america since george washington. and we've had many successful muslims, we just lost a
6:40 pm
particularly well-known one with muhammad ali. my vision of america is an america where everyone has a place, if you're willing to work hard, you do your part, you contribute to the community, that's what america is. that's what we want america to be for our children and our grandchildren. it's also very short sighted and even dangerous to be engaging in the kind of rhetoric that donald has about muslims. we need american muslims to be part of our eyes and ears on our front lines. i've worked with a lot of different muslim groups around america, i've met with a lot of them, i've heard how important it is for them to feel that they are wanted and included and part of our country, part of our homeland security. that's what i want to see. it's also important, i intend to defeat isis, to do so in a
6:41 pm
coalition with majority muslim nations. right now a lot of those nations are hearing what donald says wondering, why should we cooperate with the americans and this is a gift to isis and the terrorists. violent jihaddists terrorists, we are not at war with islam. and it is a mistake and it plays into the hands of the terroriste are. i want a country where citizens like you and your family are just as welcome as anyone else. >> thank you, secretary clinton. mr. trump, in december you said this. john alleged j. trump calling for total and complete shut down of muslims entering the united states in till our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on. we have no choice, we have no choice. you're running mate said this week that muslim ban no longer your position, is that correct and if it is, was it mistake to
6:42 pm
have a religious -- >> first of all captain kahn is an american hero. and if i were president at that time he would be alive today. because unlike her who voted for the war without knowing what she was doing, i would not have had our people in iraq. iraq was a disaster. so, we have been alive today. muslim ban is something that in some form has morphed into a extreme vetting from certain areas of the world. hillary clinton wants to allow -- >> why did it morph into that -- no, answer the question. >> why didn't you interrupted you. >> would you please -- would you please explain whether or not the mulls limb ban still stands? >> it's called extreme vetting. we are going to areas like syria where they're coming in by the tens of thousands because of barack obama and hillary clinton wants to allow a 550% increase
quote
6:43 pm
over obama. people are coming into our country like we have no idea who they are, where they are from, what their feelings about our country is and she wants 550% more. there's go to be the great trojan horse of all time. we have enough problems in this country. i believe in building safe zones. i will even have other people pay for them as an example the gulf states who are not carrying their weight but they have nothing but money. and take care of people. but i don't want to have with all the problems this country has, all of the problems that you see going on, hundreds of thousands of people coming in from syria where we know nothing about them. we know nothing about their values, we know nothing about their love for our country. >> secretary clinton let me ask you about that, because you have asked for increase from 10 to 65,000 syrian refugees. we know you want tougher
6:44 pm
vetting, that's not a perfect system. so, why take the risk of having refugees come into the country. >> first of all, i will not let anyone into our country that i think poses a risk to us. but there are a lot of refugees, women and children, think of that picture we all saw of that 4-year-old boy with the blood on his forehead because he'd been bombed by the russians and syrian air forces. there are children suffering in this catastrophic war, largely i believe because of russian aggression. and we need to do our part. we by no means are carrying anywhere near the load that europe and others are. but we will have vetting that is as tough as it needs to be from our professionals, our intelligence experts and others. it is important for us as a
6:45 pm
policy, not say as donald has said, we're going to ban people based on religion. how do you do that? we are a country founded on religious freedom and liberty. how do we do what he has advocated without causing great distress within our own country. are we going to have religious tests? when people fly in to our country and how do we expect to be able to implement those? so, i thought that what he said was extremely unwise and even dangerous and indeed you can look at the propaganda on a lot of the terrorist sites and what donald trump says about muslims is used to recruit fighters, because they want to create a war between us. and final thing i'll say, this is a 10 that are or 12th time
6:46 pm
he's denied being for the war. we have it on tape. the entire press corps looked eight. it's been debunked but never stops him -- >> has not been debunked. >> go to hillaryclinton dot.com. >> it has not been rebunked you voted for it you shouldn't have. well, i just -- >> i'd like to move on, to online question. >> she went about 25 seconds over her time. >> she did not. >> can i respond to this? >> very quickly please. >> hillary clinton in terms of having people come into our country, we have many criminal illegal aliens, when we want to send them back to their country, their country says we don't want them. in some case murderers, drug lords, drug problems. they don't want them. hillary clinton when she's was secretary of state said that's hock we can't force it into their country. i'm going to force them right back into their country. they are murderers and very bad people. and i will tell you, very strongly when bernie sanders
quote
6:47 pm
said she had bad judgment she has really bad judgment because we are letting people into this country that are going to cause problems and crime like you've never seen. we're also letting drugs pour through our southern border at a record clip. at a record clip. it shouldn't be allowed to happen. i suggest -- never endorsed presidential. border patrol agents, 16,500 just recently endorsed me. they endorsed me because i understand the border. she doesn't. she wants amnesty for everybody, come right in, come right over. it's a horrible thing she's doing, she's got bad judgment. and honestly, so bad that she should never be president of the united states. >> thank youm trump. i want to move on this next question comes from the public to the bipartisan open debate coalition online forum where americans submitted questions that generated millions of vot votes. this question involves wikileakss released support
quote quote
6:48 pm
excerpts of secretary clinton's paid speeches which she has refused to release. one line in particular in which you, secretary clinton, reportedly said you need both a public and private position on certain issues. so, two, from virginia, askeds it okay for politicians to be two-faced? is it acceptable to have a private stance on issues. secretary clinton. >> well, right, as i recall that was something i said about abraham lincoln after having seen the wonderful steven spielberg movie called "lincoln." it was a master class watching president lincoln get the congress to approve the 13th amendment. it was principled, it was strategic. and i was making the point that it is hard sometimes to get the
Check
6:49 pm
congress to do what you want to do and you have to keep working at it and, yes, president lincoln was trying to convince some people he used some arguments, convincing other people, he used other arguments, that was a great -- i thought a great display of presidential leadership. but, you know, let's talk about what's really going on here, martha, because our intelligence community just came out and said in the last few days, that the kremlin, meaning putin and the russian government, are directing the attacks, the hacking on american accounts to influence our election. and wikileaks is part of that, as are other sites where the russians hack information, we don't even know if it's accurate information, then they put it out. we have never in the history of our country been in a situation where an adversary, a foreign
quote quote
6:50 pm
power, is working so hard to influence the outcome of the election. and believe me, they're not doing it to get me elected. they're doing it to try to influence the election for donald trump. now, maybe because he has praised putin, maybe because he says he agrees with a lot of what putin wants to do, maybe because he want to do business in moscow, i don't know the reasons. but we deserve answers. and we should demand that donald release all of his tax returns so that people can see what are the intanglements and -- >> we'll get to that later. secretary clinton, you're out of time. >> i think shy respond because -- shy respond so ridiculous. now she's blaming -- she got caught in a total lie. her papers went out to all her friends at the bank, goldman sachs and everybody else. and she said things wikileaks that just came out. and she lied. now she's blaming the lie on the
Check
6:51 pm
late great abraham lincoln that's one that i haven't -- okay, honest abe. never lied, that's the guide thing. that's the big difference between abraham lincoln and you. that's a big, big difference we're talking about, some difference. as far as other elements of what you were saying, i don't know putin. i think it would be great if we got along with russia because we could fight isis together as an example. but i don't know putin, but i notice any time anything wrong happens they like to say, the russians -- here is the russians doing the hacking, maybe there is no hacking. but they always blame russia the reason they blame russia because they think they're trying to tarnish me with push a. i know nothing about rush a. i know about russia but i know nothing about russia the inner workings of rush a. i have no businesses, i have no loans from russia, i have very, very great balance sheet, so great that when i did the old post office on pennsylvania avenue the united states government because of my balance sheet which they
6:52 pm
actually know very well, cheese me to do the old post office between white house and congress. chose me to do the old post office one of the -- perhaps the primary thing was balance sheet. but i have no loans with russia, you can go to the united states government and they would probably tell you that because they know my sheet very well in order to get that development. now taxes are very simple thing. as soon as i have -- first of all i pay hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes. many of our friends took bigger deductions, warren buffet, took a mastiff deduction. soras took massive. man he'll people giving her this money that she can do many more commercials, took massive deductions. i pay hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes. but, but as soon as my routine you'd sit finished i release miry -- >> topic of taxes we have
6:53 pm
question from spencer moss. >> good evening. my question is, what's what specific tax provisions will you change tone sure the wealthiest americans pay their fair share in taxes. >> one ink do get rid of carried b. one of the greatest provisions, people like me, to be honest with you, i give up lot when i run because i knock out the tax code. she could have done this years ago, by the way, she's that united states -- was united states senator, she complains that donald trump took advantage of the tax code. well, why didn't she change it? why didn't you change it when you were a senator in the reason you didn't all your friends take the same advantage that i too. and i do. provisions in the tax code frankly we could change. but you wouldn't change it because all of these people give you the money so you can take negative ads on donald trump. but -- i say that about lot of things, i've heard hillary complain about so many different things over the years, wish i could have -- she's been there
Check
6:54 pm
for 30 years she's been doing this stuff. never change. she never will change. she never will change. we're getting rid of carried interest provisions. i'm lowering taxes actually because i think it's so important for corporations because we have corporations leading massive corporations and little ones. we're getting rid of regulations which goes hand in hand with the lowering of the taxes. but we're bringing the tax rate down from 35% to 15%. we're cutting taxes for the middle class and i will tell you we are cutting big league for middle class. i will tell you hillary clinton is raising your taxes, folks, you can look at me, she's raising your taxes, really high. and what that's going to do is a disaster for the country. but she is raising your taxes, i'm lowering your taxes. that in itself is a big difference. we are going to be thriving again. we have no growth in this country, there's no growth. if china has a gdp of 7%, it's like national catastrophe. we're down to 1%.
6:55 pm
and that's like no growth. we're going lower. in my opinion. a lot of it has to do with the fact that our taxes are so high. just about the highest in the world, i'm bringing them down to one of the lower in the world. and i think it's so important, one of the most important things we can d. but she is raising everybody's taxes massively. >> secretary clinton you have two minutes, question was, what specific tax provisions will you change tone sure the wealthiest americans pay their fair share ofz well, everything you've heard just now from donald is not true. i'm sorry i have to keep saying this, but he lives in an alternative reality. and it is sort of amusing to hear somebody who hasn't paid federal information taxes in maybe 20 years talking about what he's going to do. but i'll tell what you he's going to do. his plan will give the wealthy corporations, the biggest tax cuts they have ever had. more than the bush tax cuts by at least a factor of two. donald always takes care of
quote
6:56 pm
donald and people like donald and this would be a massive gift. indeed the way that he talks about his tax cuts would end up raising taxes on middle class families, millions of middle class families. here is what i want to do. i have said nobody who makes less than $250,000 a year, that's the vast majority of americans as you know, will have their taxes raised. because i think we've got to go where the moneys the money is with people who have taken advantage of every single break in the tax code. yes, when i was a senator i did vote to close corporate loopholes. voted to close one of the loopholes he took advantage of when he claimed billion dollar loss that enabled him to avoid taking passions. i want to have a tax on people who are making a million dollars, it's called the buffett, he's gone out said, somebody like him should not be paying a lower tax rate than his
quote quote
6:57 pm
secretary. i want to have a surcharge on incomes above $5 million. we have to make up for lost time because i want to in sprees in you. i want to invest in hard working families. i think it's been unfortunate but it's happened. that since the great resection the gains have all gone to the top. and we need to reverse. that people like donald who pay zero in taxes, zero for our vets, zero for our military, zero for health and education, that is wrong. we're going to make sure that nobody, no corporation, and no individual can get away without paying his fair share. >> thank you. mr. trump give chance to respond just tell our viewers what she's referring to. last month taxes were the number one issue on facebook for the first time in the campaign. "new york times" published three pages of your 1995 tax return, show you claimed $960 million loss. which means you could have avoided paying personal federal income taxes for years, we've said you pay state taxes, real estate taxes, property taxes,
6:58 pm
you have not answered though simple question, did you use that $ed 60 million loss to avoid paying personal fed ram income tax. >> of course i do. so do all of her donors or most of her donors. i know many of her donors. they took massive tax write-offs. >> have you -- lot of my write off was depreciation and other things that hillary as senator allowed. she'll always allow people that give her all this money they want it. that's why. see i understand the tax code better than anybody that's ever run for president. hillary clinton and it's extremely complex, hillary clinton has friends that want all of these provisions including they want carried interest provision which is very important to wall street people. but they really want carried interest provision. which i believe hillary's leaving, very interesting why she's leaving carried interest. i'll tell that you number one i pay tremendous numbers of taxes. i absolutely used it. so did warren buffett and george
6:59 pm
soros many of the other people that hillary is getting money from. now, i won't mention their names because they're rich but not famous. we won't make them famous. >> can you say how many years you have avoided paying personal federal income tax? >> no. i pay tax. i pay federal tax, too. but i have a write off, lot is depreciation which is a wonderful charge, i love depreciation. you know, she's given it to us. if she had a problem for 30 years she's been doing this, anderson, i say it all the time. she talks about health carey didn't do you do you something. taxes, why didn't you do income about it. she doesn't do anything about anything other than talk. with her, it's all talk and no action. >> in the past -- and again, bernie sanders, it's really bad judgment. she has made bad judgment not only on taxes, she's made bad judgments on libya. on syria, on iraq. i mean her and obama whether you like it or not, the way they got outed of iraq, vacuum they left,
7:00 pm
that's why isis formed in the first place. they started from that little area, now they're in 32 different nations. congratulations. great job. >> once able to respond secretary clinton. >> well, here we go again. i've been in favor of getting rid of carried interest for years. starting when i was a senator from new york. but that's not the point here. >> why didn't do you it? >> let mere respond. >> i was senator with republican president. i will be the -- >> you should have done it if you were an effective senator you could have done it. but you were not an -- >> allow her to respond she didn't interrupt you. >> under our constitution, presidents have something called veto power. look, he has now said repeatedly 30 years this, 30 years that. let me talk about my 30 years in public service, i'm very glad to do so. eight million kids, every year
7:01 pm
have health insurance because when i was first lady i worked with democrats and republicans to create the children's health insurance program. hundreds of thousands of kids now have a chance to be adopted because i worked to change our adoption and foster care system. after 9/11, i went to work with republican mayor, governor and president to rebuild new york and to get health care for our first responders who were suffering because they had run toward danger and gotten sickened by it. hundreds much thousands of national guard and reserve members have health care because of work that i did. and children have safer medicines because i was able to pass a law that required dosing to be more carefully done. when i was secretary of state, i went around the world, advocating for our country but also advocating for women's rights. to make sure that women had a decent chance to have a better life. and negotiated a treaty with
quote
7:02 pm
russia to lower nuclear weapons. 400 pieces of legislation have my name on it as a sponsor or cosponsor when i was a senator for eight years. i worked very hard and was very proud to be re-elected in new york by even bigger margin than i'd been elected the first time. and apps president, i will take that work, that bipartisan work that finding common ground because you have to be able to get along with people to get things done in washington. >> thank you, secretary. >> rife proven that i can. for 30 years i've produced results. >> thank you, secretary. >> we're going to move on to syria. both of you mentioned that -- >> i any we should -- no, mr. trump we're going to go on -- >> she is a disaster as a senator. >> we're going to move on. heartbreaking video of 5-year-old syrian boy sit knowledge in an ambulance after being pulled from the rubble after an airstrike in aleppo focused the world's attention on
7:03 pm
the horrors of the war in syria. with 136 million views on facebook 'lobe. but there are much more images coming out of aleppo day in the past few weeks alone 400 people have been killed, at least 100 of them children. just days ago the state department called for a war crimes investigation of the syrian regime of al assad and ally, russia further bombardment. this next question comes from social media through facebook. diane from pennsylvania asks, if you were president what would you do about syria and the humanitarian crisis in aleppo, isn't it a lot like the holocaust when u.s. waited too long before we helped. secretary clinton we will begin with you, two minutes. >> well, the situation in syria is catastrophic. and every day that goes by we see the results of the regime,
7:04 pm
by assad in partnership with the iranians own ground, russians in the air, bombarding places in particular aleppo, where there are hundreds of thousands of people probably about 250,000 still left. and there is a determined effort by russian air force to destroy aleppo in order to eliminate the last of the syrian rebels who were really holding out againstment assad regime. russia hasn't made any attention to sizes. they're interested in keeping assad in power. when i was secretary of state advocated and i advocate today a no-fly zone and safe zones, we need some leverage with the russians because they are not going to come to the negotiating table for a diplomat ma particular resolution unless there is some leverage over them.
Check
7:05 pm
we have to work with our allies on the ground. but i want to emphasize that what is at stake here is the ambitions and aggressiveness of russia. russia has decided that it's all in in syria. and they have also decided who they want to see become president of the united states, too, it's not me. i've stood up to russia, i've feign on putin and others. and i would do that as president. i think wherever we can cooperate with russia that's fine. i did as secretary of state that's how we got a treaty reducing nuclear weapons, it's how we got the sanctions on iran that put a lid on the iranian nuclear program without firing a single shot. i would go to the negotiating table with more leverage than we have now. but i do support the effort to investigate for crimes, war crimes committed by syrians and the russians, try to hold them accountable. >> thank you secretary -- while she's there as secretary of state with the
7:06 pm
so-called line in the sand. which -- >> no, i wasn't. i hate to interrupt you but at some -- >> we need do some fact checking. >> you were at the white house, perhaps sad leo bama probably -- i don't think he'd been listening very much any more. owe obama draws the line in the sand. it was laughed at all over the world what happened. with that being said, she talks tough against russia. but our nuclear program has fallen way behind they have gone wild within their nuclear program. not good. our government shouldn't have allowed that to happen. russia is new in terms of nuclear, we are old, we're tired, we're exhausted in terms of nuclear. a very bad thing. she talks tough, she talks really tough against putin and against assad. she talks in favor of the rebels she doesn't even know who they are. every time we take rebels, whether it's in iraq or anywhere
7:07 pm
else we're arming people, you know what happens? they end up being worse than the people. look what she did in libya with gadhafi. he's out, it's a mess. by the way, isis has a good chunk of their oil, i'm sure you probably have heard that. it was a disaster. because the fact is, almost everything she's done in foreign policy has been a mistake and it's been a disaster. if you look at rusha just take a look at pusha look what they did this week where i agree she wasn't there but possibly she's consulting. we sign a peace treaty, everyone is all excited. russia did with assad, by the way with iran who you may made very powerful with the dumbest deal perhaps i've ever seen in the history of deal making, iran deal, with $150 billion, with the 1.7 billion in cash which is enough cash to fill up this room. but look at that deal. iran now and russia are now against us. she wants to fight, she wants to fight for rebels.
7:08 pm
there's only one problem. you don't even know who the rebels are. >> mr. trump -- your two minutes is up. >> i don't like assad at all. but assad is killing isis. russia is killing isis. iran is killing isis. those three have now lined up because of our weak foreign policy. >> mr. trump, let me repeat the question. if you were president what would you do about syria and the humanitarian crisis in aleppo i want to remind you what your running mate said. provocations by russia need to be met with american strength that if russia continues to be involved in airstrikes along with the syrian government forces of assad, the united states of america should be prepared to use military force to strike the military targets of the assad regime. >> okay. he and i haven't spoken i disagree. you. disagree with your running mate. >> right now, syria is fighting
7:09 pm
isis we have people that want to fight both at the same time. but syria is no longer syria. syria is russia. and it's iran who she made strong and kerry and obama made into a very powerful nation and very rich nation. very, very quickly. very, very quickly. i believe we have to get isis. we have to worry about isis before we can get too much more involved. she had chance to do something with syria, they had a chance. that was the line. >> what do you think will happen with aleppo falls? >> i think it's a -- what do you think happen if it falls? >> basically has fallen, okay? it basically has fallen. let me tell you something you take a look at mosul, biggest problem i have with the stupid fee of our foreign policy, we have mosul they think a lot of the isis leaders are there. we have announcements coming out of washington and iraq, we will be attacking mosul in three weeks or four weeks. all of these bad leaders from isis are leaving mosul.
7:10 pm
why can't they do it quietly, why can't they do the attack, make eight sneak attack after the attack is made, inform the american public that we've knocked out the leaders, we've had a tremendous success. people leave. why do they have to shay we're going to be attacking mosul within the next four to six weeks. which is what they're saying. how stupid is our country? >> there are sometimes reasons the military does that. psychological warfare. >> i don't think of any. >> it might be the help get civilians out. >> we have -- i have 200 generals and admirals who endorse me. i have 21 congressional medal of honor recipients who endorse me. we talk about it all the time. they understand why can't they do something secretively where they go in, they knock out the leadership. how -- why would these people stay there? >> tell me what your strategy is -- >> for weeks about mosul that it's the harbor of where -- between iraq and mosul where
7:11 pm
they think the isis leaders are. why would they be -- they're not saying -- they're gone. because everybody is talking about how iraq, which is us, with our leadership, goes in to fight mosul. now, with the 200 admirals and generals, they can't believe it. all i say is this. general george patton, general douglas mcarthur are spinning in their grave at the spew fid -- stupidity of what we're doing. >> i'm going to secretary clinton, you want -- advocated arming rebels but it looks like that may be too late for aleppo talk about diplomatic efforts, those that failed, sees fires that failed. would you introduce the threat of u.s. military force beyond no-fly zone against assad regime to back up diplomacy? >> i would not use american ground forces in syria. i think that would be a very serious mistake. i don't think american troops
7:12 pm
should be holding territory, which is what they would have to do as an occupying force, i don't think that is a smart strategy. i do think the use of special forces which we're using, the use of enablers and trainers in iraq which have had positive effects are very much in our interest. and so i do support what is happening. but let -- >> what who you do differently than president obama. >> martha, i hope that by the time i -- >> everything. >> i hope by the time i am president that we will have pushed isis out of iraq. i do think that there is a good chance that we can take mosul. and donald says he knows more about isis than the generals. no, he doesn't. there are a lot of very important planning going on, some of it is to signal to the sunnis in the area as well as kurdish fighters that we all
quote
7:13 pm
need to be in this. the it takes a lot of planning and preparation. i would go after baghdadi i would target him because i think our targeting of al qaeda leaders, i was involved in a lot of those operations, highly classified ones. made a difference. so, i think that could help. i would also consider arming the kurds. the kurds have been our best partners in syria as well as iraq. and i know there's a lot of concern about that. some circles but i think they should have the equipment they need so that kurdish and arab fighters on the ground are the principle way that we take after pushing isis. >> thank you very much we'll move on -- >> she wept over a minute over and you don't stop her. when i go one second over it's like -- >> you had many answers. >> it's really very interesting. >> question from james carter. mr. carter.
7:14 pm
>> my questions do you believe you can be a devoted president to all the people in the united states. >> that question begins with mr. trump? >> absolutely. i mean, she calls our people deplorable, a large group. irredeemable. i will be a president for all of our people. i'll be a president that will turn our inner cities around. we'll give strength to people and we'll give economics to people, we'll bring jobs back because nafta signed her her husband is greatest disaster trade deal in the his tore eat of the world. not of this country. it's stripped us of manufacturing jobs. we lost our jobs. we lost our money. we lost hour plans. it is a disaster. now she wants to sign tpp even
7:15 pm
though she -- called it the gold standard at last debate she lied it turned out that she did say the gold standard, she said she didn't say it. they actually said that she lied. okay. she lied. but sheets lied about a lot of things. i would be a president for all of the people. african americans, the inner cities, devastating what's happening to our inner cities. she's been talking about it for years, as usual, she talks about it, nothing happens. she doesn't get it done. same with the latino americans. hispanic americans. same exact thing, they talk, they don't get it done. you go into the inner cities you see it's 45% poverty. african americans now, 45% poverty in the inner cities. the education is a disaster. jobs are essentially nonexistent. i mean, it's -- you know, hive been saying big speeches where i have 20-30,000 people what do you have to lose?
7:16 pm
it can't get any worse. she's been talking about the inner cities for 25 years. nothing's going to ever happen. if she's president of the united states, nothing is going to happen. just going to be talk. all of her friends, factions we were talking about, i would just get it by osmosis. knotted doing me any favors but doing all the others favors she's doing -- >> mr. trump, thank you. >> i will tell you. she's all talk. it doesn't get done. all you have to do take look at her senate run, upstate -- >> two minutes is up. secretary clinton. >> turned out to be disaster. >> you have two minutes. >> well, 67% of the people voted to re-elect me when i ran for my second term and i was very proud and very humbled by that. mr. carter, i have tried my entire life to do what i can to support children and families. you know, right out of playskool i tonight work for the children's defense fund donald talks a lot about the 30 years
7:17 pm
i've been in public service. i'm proud of that. i started off as young lawyer working against discrimination against african american children in schools and in the criminal justice s. i worked to make sure that kids with disabilities could get a public education, something that i care very much about. i have worked with latinos, one of my first jobs in politics was down in south texas registering latino citizens to be able to vote. so, i have a deep devotion to use your absolutely correct word, to making sure that every american feels like he or she has a place in our country. and i think when you look at the letters that i get, a lot of people are worried that maybe they wouldn't have a place in donald trump's america. they write me, one woman wrote me about her son, felix, she adopted him from ethiopia when
7:18 pm
he was a toddler, he's ten years old, the only country he ever knows. he listen to donald he said to his mother, will he send me back to ethiopia if he gets elected? you know, children listen to what is being said to go back to the very, very first question. and there's a lot of fear, in fact teachers and parents are calling it the trump effect. bullying is up, lot of people are feeling uneasy, lot of kids are expressing their concerns. so first and foremost, i will do everything i can to -- >> your time. >> democrats, republicans, independence, people across our country. if you don't vote for me i still want to be your president. the best president i can be for every american. >> secretary clinton your two minutes subpoena. follow up turn to donald trump said to you. comment you made last month you said that half donald trump's supporters are quote, deplorable, racist, sexist, homophobic, later said you regretted saying half, you
7:19 pm
didn't express regret by saying deplorables. mr. carter's question, how can you unite a question if you've written off tens of millions of people. >> i was sorry the way i talked about that, because my argument is not with his supporters it's with him. and with the hateful and divisive campaign that he has run. and the inciting of violence at his rallies, the very brutal kinds of comments about not just women, but all americans, all kinds of americans. and what he has said about african americans and latinos, about muslims, about p p.o.w.s, about immigrants, about people with disabilities. he's never apologized for. and so, i do think that a lot of the tone and tenor that he set, i'm proud of the campaign that bernie sanders and i ran. we ran a campaign based on issues, not insults. he is supporting me 100%. >> thank you.
7:20 pm
>> because we talked about what we wanted to d. might have had some differences, we had lot of -- >> thank you, secretary. >> but we believed that we could make the country better. i was proud that have. >> give you minute -- we have a divided nation. we have a very divided nation. you look at charlotte, you look at baltimore, you look at violence that's taking place in the inner cities, chicago. you take a look at washington, d.c. we have a increase in murder with inner cities, biggest in 45 years. we have a divided nation, because people like her, believe me, she has tremendous hate in her heart. and when she said deplorables, she meant it. stand when she said irredeemable, they are redeemable. you didn't mention that. but when she said irredeemable that might have been even worse. >> she said some of them are irredeemable. >> she has tremendous hatred. this country cannot take another four years of barack obama
Check
Check
7:21 pm
that's what you're getting with her. >> mr. trump let me follow up in 2008 you wrote one of your books most important characteristic of the good leader is discipline. you said if a leader doesn't have it, quote, he or she won't be one more very long. in the days after first debate you september out series of tweets from 3:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. in cluing one that told people check out sex tame. is that the discipline -- >> there wasn't a sex tape. just take a look at the person that she built up to be this wonderful girl scout who was no girl scout. so you understand when she said 3:00 in the morning, take look at benghazi. she said who is going to answer the call at 3:00. guess what. she didn't answer because when ambassador stevens -- >> yes is, the discipline of good leader? >> 600 times. she said she wasn't awake at 3:00 in the morning also sent a tweet out but i won't mention. that she said she'll be awake. famous thick, we'll answer our call at 3:00 in the morning, guess what happened. ambassador stevens, ambassador stevens sent 600 requests for
7:22 pm
help the only one she talked to was sidney blumenthal who is her prepared not a good guy, by the way. you know, she shouldn't be talking about that. now, tweeting happens to be modern day form of communication. you can like i it or not. i have between facebook and twitter i have almost 25 million people. it's a very effective ways of communication. commo you can put it down, but t is a very effective form f communication. i'm not unproud of it to be honest with you. >> secretary clinton, have discipline to be a good leader? >> no. >> i'm shocked to hear that. >> well, it's not only my opinion, it's the opinion of many others. national security experts. republicans, former republican members of congress. but it's in part because those of us who have had the great privilege of seeing this job up close and know how difficult it
7:23 pm
is and it's not gist because i watch my husband take a $300 billion deficit turn into $200 billion surplus. and 23 million new jobs were created, incomes went up for everybody, everybody. african american incomes went up 33%. it's not just because i work with george w. bush after 9/11. and i was very proud that when i told him what the city needed, what we needed to recover, said, you've got it. he never waivered. he stuck with me. and i have worked and admire president obama, he in haired the worst financial crisis since the great depression. that was a terrible time for our country. >> move along. >> nine million -- secretary clinton we have to -- >> five million -- we're moving on. >> we are back on the right track. he would send us back into recession with his tax plans -- >> secretary clinton we're moving to audience question. we're almost out of time.
7:24 pm
>> we have the slowest growth -- mr. trump we're moving to audience question. >> it has -- our -- mr. trump, secretary clinton we want to get to the audience. thank you very much, both of you. we have another audience question. beth miller has ha question for both candidates. >> could evening. perhaps the most important aspect of this election is the supreme court justice. what would you prioritize as most important aspect of selecting a supreme court justice. >> we'd begin with your two minutes, secretary clinton. >> thank you. you're right, this is one of the most important issues in this election. i want to appoint supreme court justices who understand the way the world really works. who have real life experience, who have not just been in a big law firm and maybe clerked for a judge and gotten on the bench. but maybe they tried some more cases, they actually understand what people are up against.
7:25 pm
because i think the current court has gone in the wrong direction. and so i would want to see the supreme court reverse citizens united. and get dark unaccountable money out of our politics. donald doesn't agree with that. i would like the supreme court to understand that voting rights are still a big problem in many parts of our country. that we don't always do everything we can to make it possible for people of color and older people and young people to be able to exercise their franchise. i want supreme court that will stick with roe v. wade and woman's right to choose, i want supreme court that will stick with marriage equality. now, donald halls put forth the names of some people that he would consider. and among ones that he has suggested are people who would reverse roe v. wade and reverse marriage equality. i think that would be a terrible mistake. and would take us backwards. i want a supreme court that doesn't always side with
7:26 pm
corporate interests. i want supreme court that understands because you're wealthy you can give more money to something doesn't mean you have any more rights or should have any more rights than anybody else. i have very clear views about what i want to see -- change the balance on the supreme court. and i regret deeply that the senate has not done its job. they have not permitted a vote on the person that president obama, highly qualified person, they have not given him a vote to be able to hof the full complement of nine supreme court justices. i think that was a dereliction of duty. i hope that they will see their way to doing it. but if i am so fortunate enough has to be president i will immediately move to make sure that we fill that, we have -- >> thank you secretary clinton. >> on behalf of our gleam you're out of time. mr. trump. >> justice scalia, great judge. died recently. we have a vacant see.
7:27 pm
i am looking to appoint judges very much in the mold of justice scalia. i am looking for judges when i've actually picked 20 of them. so that people would see, highly respected, highly thought of, actually very beautifully reviewed by just about everybody. but people that will respect the constitution of the united states. and i think that this is so important, also the second amendment which is totally upped siege by people like hillary clinton they will respect the second amendment and what it stands for, what it represents. so important to me. hillary mentioned something about contributions, just so you understand. so, i will have in my race more than $100 million of my money, meaning i'm not taking all of this big money from all of these different corporations like she's doing. what i ask is this. so, i'm putting in more than --
7:28 pm
by the time it's finished more than $100 million invested. pretty much self funding, we're raising money for the republican party and doing tremendously on small donations, $61 average or so. i ask hillary, why she makes $250 million by being in office. she used the power of her offers to make a lot of money. why isn't she funding, not for $100 million put 10 or 20 or 25 or 30 million in to your own campaign. it's $30 million less for special interests that will tell you exactly what to do. it would really i think be nice sign to the american public. why aren't you putting some money in, you have a lot of it, made a lot of it because of the fact that you have been in office. made lot of it while you were secretary of state, actually. so, why aren't you putting money into your own campaign. >> thank you very much. we're going to get on to one more question. >> the question was about supreme court i just want to quickly say -- >> very quickly. >> i respect the second
quote
7:29 pm
amendment. but i believe there should be comprehensive background checks we should close the gun show loophole and close the online loophole. >> we have one more question. >> one more question from ken bone about energy policy. >> what steps will your energy policy take to meet our energy needs while at the same time remaining environment amply friendly, minimizing job loss for fossil power plant workers. >> mr. trump. >> that's such a great question. because energy is under siege by the obama administration. under absolute siege. the epa, environment am protection agency, is killing these energy companies. and foreign companies are now coming in buying our -- buying so many different plants then rejiggering the plant so this they can take care of their oil. we are killing, absolutely killing our energy business in this country. i'm all for alternative forms of
7:30 pm
energy. including wind, including solar, set rate. we need much more than wind and solar. and you look at our miners, hillary clinton wants to put all the miners out of business. there is a thing called clean coal. coal will last for a thousand years in 24 country. now we have natural gas, so many other countries because of technology. we have unbelievable, we have found over last seven years we have found tremendous wealth right under our feet. so good. especially when much 20 trillion in debt. i will bring our energy companies back. they will be able to compete. they will make money. they will pay off our national debt. pay off our tremendous budget deficits which are tremendous. but we are putting our energy companies out of business. we have to bring back our workers. you take a look at what's happening to steel and the cost of steel and china dumping vast
quote
7:31 pm
amounts of steel all over the united states which is killing our steelworkers and our steel companies. we have to guard our energy companies. we have to make it possible. the epa is so restrictive that they are putting our energy companies out of business. all you have to do go to a great place like west virginia or places like ohio which is phenomenal or places like pennsylvania and you see what they're doing to the people -- miners and others in the energy business. it's a disgreat. >> your time is up. >> absolute disgrace. >> secretary clinton two, minutes. >> well that was very interesting. first of all, china is illegally dumping steel in the united states and donald trump is buying it to build his buildings. butting steelworkers and american steel plants out of business. that's something that i fought against as a senator that i would have a trade prosecutor to make sure that we don't get
quote
7:32 pm
taken advantage of by china on steel or anything else. you know because it sounds like you're in the business or you're aware of people in the business. you know that we are now for the first time ever energy independent. we are not dependent upon the middle east, but the middle east still controls a lot of the prices. so the price of oil has been way down. that has had a damaging effect on a lot of the oil companies, right? we are, however, producing a lot of natural gas which serves as a bridge to more renewable fuels and i think that is an important transition. we've got to remain energy independent. it gives us much more power and freedom than to be worried about what goes on in the middle east. we have enough worries over there without having to worry about that. s so, i have a comprehensive energy policy, but it really does include fighting climate change because i think that is a serious problem.
7:33 pm
and i support moving toward more clean renewable energy as quickly as we can. because i think we can be the 21st century clean energy super power. and create millions of new jobs and businesses. but i also want to be sure that we don't leave people behind. that's why i'm the only candidate from the very beginning of this campaign who had a plan to help us revitalize coal country. because those coal miners and their fathers and their grand fathers, they dug that coal out lot of them lost their lives they were injured. but they turned the lights on, they powered our factories, i don't want to walk away from them. we have to do something for them. but the price of pole is down worldwide. >> we have to look hat this -- your time subpoena. >> that's extra i have proposed go to hillaryclinton.com. >> we have -- one more audience question. >> we've sneaked in one more question. it comes from carl becker. >> good evening.
7:34 pm
my question both of you is, regardless of the current rhetoric, would either of you name one positive thing that you respect in one another. >> mr. trump would you like to go first? >> i certainly will. because i think that's a very fair and important question. i respect his children. his children are incredibly able and devoted and i think that he says a lot about donald. i don't agree with nearly anything else he says or does. but i do respect that. and i think that is something that as a mother and grandmother is very important to me. i believe that this election has
7:35 pm
become in part so -- so conflict oriented, so intense, because there's a lot at stake. this is not an ordinary time and this is not an ordinary election. we are going to be choosing a president who will set policy for not just four or eight years but because of some of the important decisions we have to make here at home and around the world, from the supreme court, to energy and so much else. and so there is a lot at stake. one of the most consequential elections that we've had. and that's why i've tried to put forth specific policies and plans. trying to get it off of the personal and put it on to what it is i want to do as president. and that's why i hope people will check on that for themselves so that they can see that, yes, i've spent 30 years actually maybe a little more, working to help kids and families and i wanted to take
7:36 pm
all that experience to the white house and do that every single day. >> mr. trump? >> well, i consider her statement about my children to be a very nice compliment. i don't know fit was meant to be compliment but it is -- i'm very proud of my children. they have done a wonderful job and they have been wonderful, wonderful kids. i consider that a compliment. i will say this about hillary. she doesn't quit, she doesn't give up. i respect that. i tell it like it is. she's a fighter. i disagree with much of what she's fighting for. i did disagree with her judgment and many cases. but she does fight hard and she doesn't quit and she doesn't give up, i consider that to be a very good trait. >> thanks to both of you. [ applause ] >> want to thank both candidates, wanted to thank the university here, this concludes the town hall meeting our thanks to candidates, the commission, washington university to
7:37 pm
everybody who watched. >> please tune in on october 19th for the final presidential debate that will take place at the university of nevada, las vegas, good night everyone. [ applause ] >> woodruff: that concludes the second presidential debate. joining us for some analysis, are syndicated columnist. mark shields, "new york times" columnist david brooks, and amy walter of "the cook political report." we watch the families join them on stage. fairly nice moment where able to ring compliment out of them as opposed way this debate began. mark shields? >> karl becker, thank you very much for one pleasant moment. that question was good quality in the other person. one consistently positive narrative in the whole evening. they didn't shake hands apt the beginning. knowing what was to follow. it was pretty ugly evening.
7:38 pm
not elevating, not inspiring. and i just thought trump was substance free. anything on health care. 18 months after the race began, he has nothing but string of adjectives. i thought hillary clinton's answers on e-mails was totally inadequate. >> we were watching donald trump with his children. donald, junior, eric trump and ivanka, melania his wife standing over to the side greeting each other. hillary clinton with her family as well. >> woodruff: amy walters, we -- this evening started out with the donald trump videotape, audio tape from last friday. did he do anything in this debate to take that cloud or
7:39 pm
lift that cloud off of him? >> you know, in the last debate i was donald trump on defense the in tire time. hillary clinton was on offense she got unhis skin, he went down rob it holes, lost his train of thought. this debate for all talk how he's not prepared he doesn't like to go do these mock sessions, he was very prepared. he came in absolutely phoning used on making the debate about hillary clinton. and he pushed her and pushed the entire time. he" ripped, he talked her, walking around the stage, but he wanted to make sure that no one was going to walk away from this debate saying he didn't take his opportunities to raise the questions about benghazi, e-mails, about any other issue that he didn't raise in the first debate. the question of whether it matters or not, i do not believe that it does. i think what he also did which is what silt around this table talking about since this summer talking to the 40% of the people who are already with him. that the base, who show up