Skip to main content

tv   Charlie Rose  PBS  February 14, 2017 12:00pm-1:01pm PST

12:00 pm
>> welcome to the program. i'm judd apatow filling in for charlie rose. thank you for having me, charlie. we begin with politics. >> traditionally when you come into the game you've been through a process a congressman, senator and have a team around you that knows you and have worked it through. every one of these principles have all become celebrities. >> we conclude did the stars of "crashing." >> we were excited about the idea of a religious guy, a sweet guy. what parts of his soul will he maintain and what's it going to be like when he starts playing with fire and different types of
12:01 pm
lifestyle but i think that's something people reality to no matter what you're doing -- going through you can watch somebody change and adapt. >> politics and comedy when we continue. >> and by bloomberg, a provider of multimedia news and information services worldwide. captioning sponsored by rose communications from our studios in new york city, this is charlie rose. >> good evening. i'm judd apatow filling in for
12:02 pm
charlie rose. while the country remains divided on the new administration we can all agree president donald trump is like no other before him. many of us lay people, myself include, keep up with the news lately but it's difficult to parse out what his policies mean for the country. with me to discuss the trump press si is maggie haberman and keith olbermann and republican strategist ed rollins. i'm please to have them at this table. well, what do we think? what happened in the last four and a half minutes? >> seconds is the better way to do it. since we've been in the studio we had one advisor saying his national security advisor is safe and other source said that may not be so and the president has not weighed in and you can take that circumstance and apply to anything in this press s --
12:03 pm
presidency. you have a divided camp and you see it play out on staffing choices big and small, on matters of national security. on matters of how they'll lay out their week on policy. it's very hard to keep up with. >> i feel like he runs the country like he ran the apprentice. the apprentice was two teams and then he would have his kids follow around the teams. he didn't follow them and then say ivanka how'd meatloaf do and now he's going ivanka how'd north korea do. it's scary, isn't it? >> it's unusual. and today we had pictures emerge from the weekend at mara lago and i've been there and it's
12:04 pm
open air and he's there with guests and someone has an iphone light on in the middle of the dining area on the missile test and it's shocking to see. this is the problem when he says i have nothing to do with my business. it's a privately owned company by his business. >> shouldn't somebody be with him going, donald, let's go talk about this in the other room. how come that's not happening? >> he doesn't have the kind of relationship to say mr. president, let's do exactly that. traditionally when you come into the game you have a been a senator, congressman and have a team around you that knows you and you've worked it through. every one of these people are principles. they've all become celebrities time magazine but they weren't
12:05 pm
national figures. in the reagan's white house they knew the game and the hill and all the players. this is a brand new team and i think -- i don't think with the possible exception of bannon he doesn't see anybody as a peer so he's not use to having somebody say come over here and let's do it this way. he sees everybody as staff and not high-level staff. >> you have a scenario maggie pointed out where the people -- and they're understaff and clearly understaffed in terms of experience and those who are there are jockeying for position while the world operates itself without the united states interference. the administration has been dedicated to the large broad-scale domestic policies which they've tried to effect with the muslim bans and over
12:06 pm
the weekend but the larger picture in a world that's not waiting for donald trump to make up his minds go to hell in a hand basket theoretically and the focus of the administration is who's going to be the principle ed just described. who is going to be the adult he listens to. even the half-focus on the rest of the world is itself divide in half again. it's madness. >> the other thing i find amazing you're elect to a four-year term. we're now in our 22nd day. you're all exhaust. i'm exhausted watching it. the staff have to be buried. he's met with heads of state as he did today and yesterday and has a supreme court justice and it all gets lost in the cycle. when you appoint a supreme court justice should have been the story of the week. it should have been the sunday
12:07 pm
talk show. here's one of the most important things and by the weekend you're talking about immigration issues. >> he's undermining himself. the opposition to him is also scattered and diffused and nominated gorsach. he has had people willing to push back to a certain extent. there's two things at play. one is he feels as if he has vanquished the critics and they ought to be praising him and he understands why they don't and he doesn't think he'd win i know
12:08 pm
he says he did but i don't think he understands what it means yet. >> it's a lot of work. you worked in the white house and it's a massive amount of work and you always hear about obama being up for hoursing briefing books and then today they were talking about when they brief him it's like a one-page bullet points with graphics. >> he likes maps. >> does that concern you knowing what's in the briefings? >> i'm an american and i know what go on and teach a course in the american presidency and he's a unique presidency. >> can you do it that way? >> one of the reasons i think the potential is there if he gets the thing focussed on three or four big decisions a day. the rest of the decisions are made in the cabinet. he doesn't have his cap net in ve the ability to make a you decision you sit down and listen to the argument and make the
12:09 pm
decision and then go do whatever you want to do. but if you can't make the decisions and are basically rushed. my argument at this point in time is whoever is scheduling him is over scheduling him. there's too much activity going on. you don't bring in the canadian prime minister in today. those are big, heavy-duty things you should be prepared for and have 48 hours and have you people come in and talk to you. if you don't like to read which apparently he doesn't you have people come in and explain what's going on in canada, what's going on in japan and then he so overrackets to over reacts to the media and you argue about who sets the agenda but you don't start on day one they're the bad guys because they're not. they're basically -- you may not like what they always write but at the end of the day the key thing is she's going write a
12:10 pm
story. my job is to make sure my part of the story if i'm working for the president is in that story and nothing she writes is incorrect. >> this is where i think his staff is not serving him well in the sense that his staff knows how he is and lose his cool over certain types of stories and sean spicer needs to go with a wink and nod because you're not advancing him. the talk shows and every west wing official on any show they're performing for an audience of one and that's
12:11 pm
president trump and before there was a message to sooth leaders. >> his point is to have everybody rattled and asked for ten time what i deserved and he said you'll get 40 times and he's trying to scare everybody but i don't know if every country deals with the approach. >> you're point is right and explains everything including ed's point about we have time in human history otherwise everything would happen all at once. this is a president working in a format of the tv show. we put all these things together and that's fundamentally the problem. you're going to the boardroom to please this man and can't separate the idea of the presidency from the role on the television show. i imagine maybe this would get through. if somebody were to get through saying you know the ratings on
12:12 pm
your show in that format declined steadily to the point at the end you were the 85th or 86th most popular show. need somebody to reformat. historically -- fascinating as living in this moment is, you can say the cuban missile crisis in 1962 was historically fascinating. i wouldn't have wanted to have been more than 3 years old and lived through that or want to live through this. we have to steer him out of the office or out of running the office this way. those are the two choice. >> why have the russian hacking story and michael flynn story important? >> because it's a foreign agent that's been an adversary and has an impact on the election. i wouldn't say as it determinate
12:13 pm
and the obama white house was uncertain how to look at this. they looked at them as interfering in a campaign. it was an open-question on what trump would do with the sanctions. if michael flynn was telling them wait until we're in office for the sanctions. that's problematic. then you have flynn who is at this point appears to have acknowledged he misled the vice president and possibly the president. he's apologized to the vice president who went out and defend him. >> why's he making that call? doesn't he have to make that call because donald trump tells him to make that call? doesn't he have to call russia? >> i don't know with flynn. he's been a freelancer. >> and fired by the obama white
12:14 pm
house. >> and part of the reason is we knew he feels like putin the president like the rest of us felt about putin. he's a bad guy who's committed bad acts and replace putin with khomeini and you say i wanted a good relationship with him. let's love him but putin is a dangerous man. everybody knows he's basically playing games in the world and the fact that trump want to love this guy and him love him i think bothers a lot of people. i think -- >> it shouldn't though, doesn't it? >> it sure as heck should. the bottom line is we get in a fight with the canadians and mexicans and australians who are our friends and allies and people who are have not been our friends and allies and befriend them is absurd. >> there's been an effort to suggest trump is somehow influence ruia and we don't
12:15 pm
know why he's saying this stuff because he has a 25 year history of praising authoritarians he gave an interview to playboy about the chinese handling of the tiananmen square massacre. >> it sounds like he had a tough dad and now he loves these brutal people. he want to be putin in some way. he may not even understands what that means but i don't think he'll ever ride a horse with his shirt off. >> a picture of his father is the only picture he has in the oval office right behind the resolute desk and he's the only boss he's ever had. >> they had a question if he had a hero he extolled his father and said he sold and built houses in queens and the bronx.
12:16 pm
he had to separate himself from his father as if that were not good enough. i wanted to point out if you're going to try to psychoanalyze the president, first i hope have you a long time and a whole team to work on it because -- let's be kind, the most complex, how's that for a pleasant word, complex president. >> you have rex tillerson and you're an older man and what is the reason -- >> it's one of the biggest jobs in the world. get to travel the world. it's fascinating. you have a gigantic agency. you don't have to worry about making money which you do at exxon mobil and it will be prestigious and his obituary will read he was secretary of the state. >> i wouldn't take any of these jobs because i'm a reporter but part with tillerson with mattis
12:17 pm
and others see a sense of patriotism and see a man who doesn't have experience and has a team that's divide and only trusts his family and they feel they want to steer the ship. as we have seen we don't quite know and the cabinet is not fully in place yet to be fair. we don't know how much authority he'll have. you saw kelly get steamrolled on immigration and tillerson on the immigration order. you have seen trump overruled tillerson on who he wanted as his number two at the state department and you have people that went in with a real sense of duty and honor and i think they're being a bit frustrated. >> what about the fact that his family is so involved in the administration. when they say his closest
12:18 pm
confidant is ivanka what does it mean to you? >> it would mean more if they're in new york. the son-in-law dealt with him once a week and said i'm coming down friday and lets have lunch and opposed to being in every single meeting and a president's entitled to whoever he want to advise him and go outside the administration, inside the administration. i hope there's more. i hope there's more people. the problem i think at this point in time is you don't have clear-cut lines of tlrerritory. i would go any place, anywhere at anytime and the president would say something and a would go around it but these are people fighting, pushing, shoving to get the role.
12:19 pm
as wineberg said to me when he was secretary of defense he said the next time the president asks me about politics he said you give him an answer on defense. >> you hit on an important point if ivanka was in new york. this is a president always selling but in life. donald trump has always been about closing the deal. the time when he has had the most interest in talking to me is when he was trying to sell me on some version of himself. i remember his quick story about one of his aides called me and said he'll declare on june 16 and we want you to write about this and i said no and they said why and i said he did this before and i'm in the playing this game and a had lunch with him june 3 and he was sitting here and his campaign manager was sitting here and he was
12:20 pm
trying to sell me on doing this and was clearly getting frustrated i wasn't buying. i was wrong and should have written about it but i had a good reason not to. i think it's the same with tillerson. the reason he was interested in him is because he wasn't interested. if his daughter were here and weren't in d.c. he'd be reaching out for the input instead he can get that and it's something that's played out. >> his kids are very smart kids. >> and they have. >> i think they give him the best counsel they can what have you. my opinion is if you slow it down a little bit and say what was the stupid 100-day thing win
12:21 pm
f.d.r. the idea you have to get it done in a time period and says i have to work on health care and infrastructure plan and tax plan and the idea i'm going to get it all done right now at the same time he's fighting over the election they stole in new hampshire one me which is all absurd -- >> what's that mean? andrew sullivan was writing how he think we should all be concerned on his lack of stability. you've done commentary about this. when somebody says there's 3 illegal votes and no evidence and misinformation or lies coming from him, what do we make of that in terms of that? is it a strategy, delusional? what is that? >> we can hunt for a meaning and psychoanalyze him for 1,000 years but there's a pattern that it represents. if the president want it believe
12:22 pm
there were 3 million illegal voters bussed, fine. it doesn't really have really a meaning except template and someone can say to him the real problem in asia is not north korea. it's south korea. we have to come down hard on the south koreans because they have a corrupt government or the australians are behind the trouble. what's when he believes something as fabricated as something as importance. that's why it's relevant as a warning to real-life issues. >> every time he says something that's not true when they have meetings at the white house they it's not true and setting the table for more voter suppression or mass incarceration?
12:23 pm
you say it's fake news and a certain part of the population believes it's something. >> i don't believe there's a plan. the truth is i worked for nixon, reagan and ford. regan spent 40 years developing a philosophy and he had positions he's adopted he wanted to implement. he knew strong national defense was important and had an agenda when he got there and got most of it accomplished. i don't see an agenda. i see keep illegals out, protect the country, make america great again. who's to say america's not great as it is. he sold a bunch of guys and some women who didn't live up to their expectations and they're now middle class or can't take care of kids and the america is not what they dreamt it would be and sold them that something was wrong. it's also the third term.
12:24 pm
it's always a tough time to get a third term and she was not a strong candidate. i think at this point in time he needs to just say all right these are four and five things i'm going to get done. if i make the business economy better and get xrats corporate taxes to 15% and don't do anything else it will stimulate the economy somewhat. if i can change dodd-frank and fix the economy. fixing obama care's a massive problem. that's going to take a lot. >> and dodd-frank, doesn't that put us at risk as having the same problems as 2008? >> i don't think so. the problem with dodd-frank is it's now become a bureaucracy for accountants and lawyers and forced banks not to lend money. you have to make banks lend money again and whatever that takes is what we have to do. someone said to me why's the stock market keep going up and i
12:25 pm
said well if you can borrow money at 1% you can make money too but nobody gets to borrow at 1%. you have to be part of the system. what we have to do is stimulate small business and we have thousand of small businesses going bankrupt every year and they need the ability for better planning and lower business taxes will help that. >> how do you feel about the potential gutting of the consumer protection bureau? this is something elizabeth warren worked on and saved people hundreds of millions of dollars from getting ripped off by the banks and it seems like it's a giant target. what's your opinion about the n intention to do that? >> i think there's a big gap and what he says or does with his executive orders which are press releases on steroids as a colleague put it. and what happens is i think he is at risk of getting, to your point, a bit of a feel what got
12:26 pm
him elected and it's a jobs and the economy and he said jobs and the economy lots of time in every speech and it resonated with people. his first few weeks in office were focussed on trade and renegotiating nafta and focussed on things voters who might be concerned about the gutting of elizabeth warren's main achievement would be affected by and care about so i think that might halt this. i think the thing we haven't talked about how he's stocked the white house and cap net with photographs and that had not gotten that much attention because there's so much focus on everything else but that's a real risk to him too. >> do you think he no win will notice there's so many people from goldman sachs? >> he's in the trying to sell anybody. he's trying to steam roll. what they did throughout the
12:27 pm
campaign is send out 1 million tweets, comments, controversies and kick up so many dust clouds nothing stuck. gover governing is different. he does something which i've never seen anybody do and the day he was sworn in he talked about 2020 but that was striking to me. >> you don't want to be thinking about it. having run the re-election campaign for reagan we didn't think bit and march of 1983 when he asked me and we won the midterm elections and when you start focussing they'll walk all over you. the fighting is coming on no spending restraint. everything they talk about gigantic. republicans don't want to spent
12:28 pm
more and it's all going to cost gigantic sums of money unless you start focussing on that you'll have a battle. >> he doesn't have a budget yet. it's going to be an enormous fight. >> the danger of the focus is him. how on earth do we have a government on someone more focussed on himself than perhaps of the rest of the citizenry combined? >> i've been teaching the course on presidency for a long time and i said the president knew more about the presidencies than anybody else was clinton and but you need to know the constitution and the role of the judicial system and he wants to get bogged down with justices -- >> is there a chance he's sat
12:29 pm
down and carefully read the constitution? >> i don't think it's likely. >> i doubt it. >> what are you most concerned about? >> i don't believe in saying, flatly and we can analyze what that means but i don't know we can expect decisions to the 100 crises the government. and you have we north korean missile and impromptu news conference and brief statement from mr. abe and somewhat detailed brief statement followed up by we're behind our allie, japan, 100%. that was it. if there was one time i needed another sentence, another bit of detail, some indication he was president of the things he was
12:30 pm
not necessarily president for and the things that doesn't reflect well on him or important stuff or boring stuff like international relations and missiles flying out of north korean silos i would have been more encouraged by anything but we didn't get that and it doesn't seem to be any perception from the president that he's president. that he's not on television. as the not a candidacy or a twilight zone episode we're enjoying with him. the subject of the donald trump presidency is donald trump and there's a problem which is there's several other billion people in the world who don't particularly care about donald trump. >> what do you think, do you think we should be nervous? is this all blown out of proportion? >> i'm a trump supporter and my concerns which are having been around for a long time and not caring about my tours in
12:31 pm
washington. i just want what's good for the country and i have a 21-year-old daughter and i want some healing and we're so partisanly split and gou to a dinner party in new york and you fight with people who say he'll be impeached in six months and these are conversations we have and they're analyze who will they'll beat and instead of saying thank you, lord for giving me four years and saying i want to rebuild infrastructure and get people back to work and put our place back in the world where our military is equipped and when we send them somewhere they won't be under utilized and we need clear planning and i hope it comes. >> why doesn't he make a gesture to the people who voted for
12:32 pm
hilary. almost 3ma million people voted for her than him. why doesn't he say i'll do something about the student loans all these kids have. why is there no gesture? >> this is not going to be i think a sufficient explanation but it is what i think it is. in this way he's not a politician. he genuinely does not see the political advantage to doing certain things. he does it for lack of a better term i'm angry they didn't vote for me. i have to invalidate this and people are saying this to say my presidency is not legitimate. i don't know when he'll get past it. it's not that he's not working hard but he's overwhelmed by what the president is and i think in some ways the path was easier and the campaign was
12:33 pm
easier and there was a tactical and emotional reason for talking about his crowds. it's a kinder way of saying some of what you were saying, he doesn't see it. he doesn't see other people want to be reached out to by their president. he believes and his supporters believe he's just a more exaggerated version of what president obama does in terms of partisan politics. a lot of people share that view. i don't think he won't get there but a ways from it. >> thank you, charlie for letting me sit here. it was a great honor. i hope i didn't dishonor the table and thank you, everybody. >> "crashing" is a new series about a stand-up who attempts to put his life together after his
12:34 pm
wife leaves him and kicks him out of the house. here's a look at the tr >> my wife slept with somebody else today. i caught her today. >> oh, yeah, here. >> why is my hand towel on your -- >> oh, boy. >> yeah, oh, boy. >> go write some jokes. >> i've never done anything without her. >> go be a comedian. >> if you get five paying customers i'll put you on stage. >> somebody trying to shake me from any corner. >> i haven't seen "the wire." >> i'm going through a divorce and floating around. >> you can crash at my place. there's laundry downstairs. you'll want to do that right away. >> hey, good morning little, fella. get on up here. >> look at that standing on the corner eating street food. we're going to do a set in
12:35 pm
manhattan. i'm grinding it out. i'm happy to be with you guys. >> what's wrong with you? >> what wrong with you, man. >> you want me to do the podcast. >> i didn't do anything i wanted supposed to. >> i was trying to free you. >> i'm doing ok. >> i think somebody earned it. let's celebrate. >> that's enough. >> just smoke. [laughter] >> is that a weird laugh. >> all right. with me now is creator and star pete holmes and co-star the great artie lang.
12:36 pm
dressed tonight as ez e. >> the first time someone was wearing a winter hat. >> i have a bald spot. this is easier. it's one step from giving up completely. >> the only time i notice it is when i'm on charlie rose. the cameras see it. >> for me the stern show was insanely noticeable finally the woman who did howard's hair put tar on my head but it's hard when it's very evident. >> well, this is the handsomest panel on "charlie rose." the show premieres after "girls." tell me about crashing.
12:37 pm
>> well, you and i got together and we're excited about doing a show that's about being bad comedy and this shows what it's like to start like handing out flyers. some shows you have to pay to go on and you have to pay it for five to ten years while you're finding your voice and when i pitched you the show you'd just gottin back into stand-up yourself and it was fortuitous for me. >> you took advantage of me. you were vulnerable and a pounced. >> and it's about spirituality and religion. why's that? >> i grew up religious. if i grown up told me something i believed them.
12:38 pm
i got in the evangelical team and i got married at 22. i could barely drink at my own wedding and the first person i'd ever dated or slept with -- >> it's pbs, please. that's pretty graph. >> that's disgusting. >> the only woman i took as a lover. >> you swash buckler. after six years of marriage she left me or a small italian man named rocco. >> you always mention his name. >> i think the sense of humor of the universe is very funny and the fact i'm this soft, gentle golden retriever and she's with this muscular short guy -- i liked him actually i thought he was a sweet guy. this is not a revenge piece but i like saying his name because i think it's funny. >> so it's rocco di spirito.
12:39 pm
>> it's about somebody entering the world of comedy in new york and encountering people like artie. your religion? >> i grew up roman catholic. my mother was into religion. my father was not. i'd get up there and he's say go to church with your mom and he's go there's nothing up there. he was a real articulate guy. i failed typing and did a ray charles impression the entire class why i failed and my father said you'll never need typing, that's for broads. 30 years later the entire world is based on typing. i thought women were going to do
12:40 pm
this for me and there's nothing worse than when you say yes to the wrong question. i don't hate your mother. i want to go to appalebee's. >> i write to the person i'm mad at and i send it to jeff and then jeff's like was this meant for me. >> then you have to ask like it was. >> it changes the whole dynamic of communicating. >> artie, on the show what do you think your role is? >> i feel like i do want to help you. have you that face and that
12:41 pm
look. i have done this with other comics and you bomb and i see you bomb and my role is i see him and i sort of engage first not to get him to sleep in my place but maybe get in this kid's head a little bit and then he grows on me. i think my role is in a weird perverted ways sometimes trying to help this kid and show him the ropes. don't step on the land mines but a rated-r edgy way. >> it seems like he's trying to save your soul or save you in some way. >> you can see where this is going and people have tried that too. they success for an a little while then after a while they have to go to work.
12:42 pm
i feel warmth from you, john, and have you too much success for me to rub off on you. it's a fun role to play to be in the world of comedy and shoot in the cellar and those locations and i think it would be to help me and you have already in the show. by i think the second episode you're like let me fix this guy. >> i think everybody getting it is giving it and i think pete is having that type of affair on his wife and cares about comedy and making jokes more than a traditional wife so his wife has abandoned first and you see that and then artie's help me and i'm helping me so we're cheating. >> my character didn't see that that you cheated on her with c d
12:43 pm
cod -- comedy. >> the show is a result of therapy and things that happened to you that was negative from the other person's perspective. it's very cathartic to be like what are they going through and we wanted my wife's character to be sympathetic and when i watch it i'm like, i get it. >> she pulls it off. >> lithuanian. we're both lin wayne -- lithuanian. >> and when you got divorced comedians let you crash at their place. what was the premise when you slept on couches bau you had no money. >> when my wife left me i called john malaney and got me an office with a couch i slept on and t.j. miller flew me out to a set of a music.
12:44 pm
people talk about comedians being back-stoabbing and that cn be true but there's an unlikely canopy that i think is real. t.j. put me up in a hotel and hung out with me every day in a dire time. >> i'm front-stabbing. [laughter] i've broken the ice. >> dave is a sweetheart. >> you think you have a certain association with them and there is really is a beautiful heart to the community. when i find out someone's a median i bond faster. >> you mentioned david. he's become my best friend. when you're best friends with somebody you see the warmer side. he's the only person that has -- i got pancreatitis and when i
12:45 pm
can can cancelled the gig he brought a check to the hospital for my mother and it blew me away. she said no, but thank you so much. and he shows respect to few people and i could tell he's nervous around you a little bit. >> i like that. >> you should. i like seeing that in him. >> the first comedian you saw when you went there the first time was dave patel. >> he did a joke that i just was hoping was not an average joke and again the joke basically was, first joke i hear a comedian tell when i'm trying to be a comedian, john denver had a
12:46 pm
cassette of 99 cents and a blanca set was $2.50 and he could double his money if he shut up. i went up to the managers and i said this guy's considered, good, right? the greatest complement i gave dave is i can say i'm friends with the jest comedian and he compliments me by saying you're still living. when it's somebody you respect you think is funny and you have the respect being comedian is the privilege. >> who yours greatest comedians of your life time that you've hung out with in your life? >> of all-time would be richard pryor because it's a cliche answer but it's hard to beat him. i do think chris rock is the best comedian ever. i do think that because he's the combination of longevity and unique delivery and brilliant
12:47 pm
jokes and stories. that first richard pryor set i talk about is him making tragedy comedy and that's what it's become with me. the last tv show he ever did was the "norm show" and i'm on the call sheet and i saved it because he checked out and his people let him caught out and he comes out like this and then the went away and norm mcdonald. i have to say not just because i'm friends with him. before i met norm his delivery is unique and i love it. >> a lot of comedy is taking pain and turning it into joy. that's what it is. sometime in my loftier moments and we're on the charlie rose show it's a love story to suffering and how somebody you would have never asked for is the mobilized factor that gets
12:48 pm
you where you want to go. >> do you think people will say i watch this show because of the mobilizing factor? >> that's the universal story, isn't it. we're going all these jokes and it's a funny show and because it's a bunch of comedians it's always believable we'd be making jokes. people are always funny but there is something underneath. you and i were excited about the idea of a religious guy, a sweet guy, what part of his soul is he going to maintain and what's it going to be like when he starts playing with fire in different types of lifestyles. i think that's something people relate to no matter what you're trying to down your life you can watch a guy go through a journey and say, oh, he had his and adapt.now has to change e i hope that's why people watch. >> your last special was all about your issues and with
12:49 pm
addiction and all that. how's that to put it together and turn that part of your life into comedy? >> it's therapeutic. to me it brings closure to it. it's a great discovery to have like well, i can talk about this publicly and maybe get laughs out of it. everything becomes self-deprecating for me but i think -- it's a trick. you let the audience think here's a screw up and i'm better than this guy and that's why i like him. that's something i go to too often and something i work on. i was a heroin addict and i was. i use the word junkie because it's so hash and reminds you that you should not want to be that. i do a bit about how in rehab
12:50 pm
they asked me to go to a trainer and that a runner's high would be as good as a heroin high and i told him to try heroin. i took a long time where i talk about it and kids are not used to the word and they hear the word heroin and there's nothing that comes back to you they're like no, now you can't be funny anymore. it was a lot of hard work to get that funny and i like that challenge. i'm proud of it. i wouldn't know how to do out any other way. i look for a tragic thing. it's not hard to find. >> it's that alchemy. we all have bad things happen and there's something therapeutic -- >> it's a great way to get over. >> you have to process it anyway and we have the privilege doing
12:51 pm
it to the delight of other people. >> how come you weren't a heroin addict? >> and it's interesting because it had to do with my faith a little bit i think. >> fear of hell. >> that's right. there's an upside like a friend of mine smoked pot in high school and another friend had sex in high school and i'm like how dare you. >> how dare you? was that religion? >> artie, i believed it and i have an active imagination. i thought you're going to hell and -- >> you created a hell in your mind. >> that's right. >> your dad should have said there's something down there. >> my father would want me to say he's looking up at me. >> you talk about being fearless. that helps with your stand-up and performing but we were talking how it also helps with
12:52 pm
let's ride the lightning. >> i think i put on the tough guy there's nothing like fear. i'm afraid of the wrong things. things i should embrace like intimacy, commitment. i got on tv at 27 years old. this was my dream. i wanted to be on a sketch show and my dream and mad tv was bigger but it still lasted 14 years and the second longest running shows and trace everything back to mad tv and they thought that. what a flaw in your character. and i think subconsciously two years out i got arrested. maybe i wanted that to happen.
12:53 pm
>> don't do it. >> you can go over the edge now. >> we were talking about that you create chaos in the way of avoiding and the way of having control. >> the show's about to break you may be the next sarah jessica parker. >> it's like riding a ship with my face and sail majestically or go out a window and kill a rabbit. it's an exciting time. i think people will like it because you like it >> it's a great piece of work and you're hilarious in it and i'd like you for being my guest on "charlie rose." >> it's a dream. >> likewise. this is amazing. you kill it. i think and i'm excited to see
12:54 pm
people see artie come back to acting in a powerful way. >> it's already good. i think the reaction's already good. >> what you brought to it is why the show works. >> you're not in comedy until you work with judd apatow. >> i should be buttering your bread. you're a hero and mentor. >> i'm happy to work with you guys because you're so brave and yourselves and you gave of yourself. that's why the show's great and be on february 19th, 9:30 on hbo after girls. also we'll be performing all of us together in los angeles on the 18th at the regent theatre for charity and in san francisco for 826 for charity and real girl charity a female empowerment program. >> thank you, everybody.
12:55 pm
captioning sponsored by rose communications captioned by media access group at wgbh access.wgbh.org
12:56 pm
>> rose: funding for "charlie rose" has been provided by: >> and by bloomberg, a provider of multimedia news and information services worldwide. >> you're watching pbs.
12:57 pm
12:58 pm
12:59 pm
1:00 pm
♪ announcer: a kqed television production. sbrocco: and everybody say, "opa!" all: opa!

28 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on