Skip to main content

tv   Late Night With Seth Meyers  NBC  December 30, 2015 12:37am-1:37am PST

12:37 am
30 rockefeller plaza in new york, it's "late night with seth meyers." tonight -- daniel craig, from "the leftovers" actress, regina king, business man and tv personality, donny deutsch, featuring the 8g band with jon theodore. [ cheers and applause ] ladies and gentlemen, seth meyers. >> seth: good evening, i'm seth meyers. this is "late night." how's everybody doing tonight? [ cheers and applause ] good to hear. very good to hear. let's get to the news. dr. ben carson's campaign today released a new 60-second radio ad that uses rap music to try to appeal to black voters. let's hear a little of that. ben carson 2016 go and support ben carson for a new president and be awesome [ laughter ] >> seth: so there you have it.
12:38 am
on november 3rd, 1992. [ laughter and applause ] dr. ben carson said this week he would like to have a beer with jesus. when reached for comment, jesus said, "oh, i have work tomorrow." [ laughter ] love to. carson also said yesterday that he believes the pyramids were not built as tombs for ancient rulers but were constructed by the biblical joseph for grain storage. because ben carson is not afraid to say what no one was thinking. [ laughter ] [ applause ] a new report found that hillary clinton's campaign most often eats pizza for meals. while chris christie's campaign most often eats pizza for snacks. [ laughter ] former president george h.w. bush has a new biography coming out titled "destiny and power." while jeb bush has a new
12:39 am
those. [ laughter and applause ] in response to a question asking why his cabinet is half female, newly elected canadian prime minister justin trudeau reportedly said, "because it's 2015." so basically, the same reason there's a prime minister named justin. [ laughter ] you guys know my cabinet. that's cory over there. that's kayla. she's the sec-tresh. so rad, being prime minister is so rad, i'm justin. [ laughter ] the owner of the golden state warriors implied this week that he a a his fiancee have involved the team's new nba championship trophy in their sex life. hey, it's not that weird. i have had lots of women give me the heisman. [ laughter and applause ] no thank you.
12:40 am
no thank you. evangelicals are up in arms after a chick-fil-a franchise donated money to a lgbt film festival in nashville. chick-fil-a defended themselves by saying, they thought lgbt stood for legs, giblets, breasts and thighs. [ laughter ] i don't know what kind of movies they thought were gonna be showing. "chicken run." [ light laughter ] according to airline experts, around 25 million passengers are expected to fly home for thanksgiving. six hours, sitting in a tiny seat, crammed between two weirdoes. plus, you have to fly there. [ light laughter ] [ applause ] that joke took about six hours, too. [ laughter ] a video gained a lot of attention online today of a
12:41 am
window in florida using new technology that allows people to order using sign language. for example, this is the sign for a coffee. and this is the sign for a grande half caf no foam caramel macchiato with vanilla drizzle. [ laughter and applause ] and finally, the huffington post has published a new article touting the health benefits of masturbation. so, yeah, you can say i've been on a real health kick lately. [ laughter ] ladies and gentlemen, we have a great show! [ cheers and applause ] for you tonight! he is the star of the new bond film, "spectre," daniel craig is on the show tonight. [ cheers and applause ] plays james bond. he's the one who plays james bond. also from the hbo show, "the leftovers," regina king stops by tonight. [ cheers and applause ] look forward to talkin' to her. and from usa networks new show
12:42 am
joining us this evening. [ cheers and applause ] it is going to be fantastic. now, moving on, voters in ohio tuesday rejected a ballot measure to make ohio the fifth and largest state in the nation to legalize marijuana. the plan was unlike any previous attempt at legalization and attracted a lot of criticism, even from pro marijuana groups. for more on this, it's time for "a closer look." [ cheers and applause ] so, one of the reasons this ballot initiative got so much attention is that even though marijuana legalization is increasingly popular at a national level, ohio is a fairly conservative state. and most of its statewide leaders are republicans. so ohio legalizing pot would kind of be like getting high in your basement with some friends and suddenly your parents come down and say, "mind if we join? i would love a toke of the old doob. [ light laughter ] we're cool." [ laughter ]
12:43 am
initiative was different was that it would have restricted the growth and initial sale of marijuana to just ten large companies. and those companies are the ones who paid to get the measure on the ballot in the first place. the political consultant who came up with the plan ian james wrangled together investors to bank roll a $20 million campaign, sink in an additional $20 million to buy the land and $300 million more to build facilities. that plan sounds like something you'd come up with while smoking marijuana. [ laughter ] "dude, what if we bought a bunch of land, legalized weed and then we just sold the rest of our lives? we'd make a billion dollars!" [ laughter ] except -- [ cheers and applause ] this billion-dollar plan wasn't just some pot head fantasy. it was a reality. >> they stand to make tens of millions. by one estimate, their farms will be worth $1 billion within a decade. >> seth: so with so much money at stake, the companies did everything they could to convince ohioans to support
12:44 am
buddy. >> the deep pocketed backers of the amendment are pulling out all the stops to get it over the finish line, including deploying this guy, buddy, a pro legalization mascot with a green marijuana bud for a head. [ laughter ] >> seth: and if you want prove that buddy was the brain child of corporate branding and not actual pot smokers, check out the wash board abs. [ laughter ] "dude, we could blaze and then do a thousand crunches. or a thousand nestle crunches." also, you know what you call a weed smoker with abs? a narc. but buddy wasn't the only public face of the pro legalization campaign. there was another famous and very surprising celebrity involved who stood to make millions if the measure had passed. >> former 98 degrees star nick lachey is one of the investors who could potentially win big, becoming a top weed kingpin. >> seth: that's right. nick lachey would be a weed
12:45 am
[ laughter ] he's basically the new walter white, except his product is legal, and the only chemistry he knows about is romantic chemistry. [ applause ] >> seth: oh, yeah. i'm gonna need%some weed if i have to listen to that. but even groups that are usually in favor of marijuana legalization were deeply skeptical of this measure. because it would have actually written into the ohio constitution that ten companies that would have been exclusively allowed to cultivate marijuana essentially creating a state sanctioned cartel. in fact, noted weed enthusiast willie nelson said they're trying to monopolize it all. that ain't right. and when you've lost willie nelson on the weed issue and not just because he wandered off -- [ laughter ] it's time to rethink your strategy. this is a man, after all, who once gave the best answer ever about smoking weed. >> are you smoking more or less marijuana these days?
12:46 am
[ laughter ] >> seth: yeah. i think that's about right. a lot of people in ohio voted against legalizing marijuana. they voted for another ballot initiative that would prevent monopolies from being inserted into the state constitution. so, now if marijuana is legalized in every state, everyone can share in the profits, which is good, because sharing is the core principle of smoking weed. this has been "a closer look." [ cheers and applause ] we'll be right back with more
12:47 am
aspartame free diet pepsi. just one sip [ahh] and you're in love. automated voice: to file a claim, please state your name. carnie wilson. thank you. can you hold on? hold on for one more day really? hey, i know there's pain. why do you lock yourself up in these chains? this would be so easy if you had progressive.
12:48 am
and help you find one of our service centers where we manage the entire repair process. things will go your way if you hold on. [ sighs ] someday somebody's gonna make you wanna turn around and say goodbye. say goodbye no, you just made it weird. other wireless carriers make families share data. not t-mobile! switch now and get four lines with up to six gigs each. and no sharing. just thirty bucks a line at t-mobile.
12:49 am
for cold and flu relief at the shelf. advil cold & sinus is only behind the pharmacy counter. ask your pharmacist for fast, powerful advil cold & sinus. relief doesn't get any better than this. pope francis touches down in america. i shoot 'em like hey hey ha ha ha uh-huh they be like hey hey ha ha but i don't care uh-huh uh-huh i shoot 'em like hey hey ha ha and i don't care
12:50 am
[ cheers and applause ] >> seth: welcome back to "late night," everybody. now, i know this is painful for some of you. last weekend the mets lost the world series in game five. it was a heart-breaking time for a lot of new yorkers. but it also got me to thinking. you know, i'm getting older now, and sometimes look around me and i don't even recognize the world i'm livin' in. [ light laughter ] things are changin' every day. and it's not always for the better. and i'd like to take some time to talk about how things were -- well, they were just a little bit more simple. [ laughter ]
12:51 am
[ cheers and applause ] >> seth: so the mets went and lost the world series. well, call me old fashioned, but back in my day new yorkers weren't getting their hearts broken by the mets in october. back then, you only had to wait until mid july. [ laughter ] it had gave you more time to grieve before the fall, when you could start getting disappointed all over again by the new york jets. [ laughter and applause ] now, back in my day, there was no such thing as airbnb. you wanted to go on vacation and stay at someone's house, you called up your relatives and took over their living room for two long weeks. sure, the couch hurt your back and the bathroom door didn't lock, so your nana walked in on you playing with your jimmy john. [ laughter ] and well, you were never able to look her in the eye again. [ light laughter ] but the important thing was, it was free. isn't that right, rusty? [ bark ] aw, could have used one of those barks to warn me that nana was
12:52 am
[ light laughter ] and now scientists are saying there's evidence that bacon causes cancer. well, back in my day, we knew bacon was bad for you. we just didn't have enough proof totop eating it. [ light laughter ] and we still don't! sorry, cancer, but you're going to have to get in line behind heart disease and diabetes. because as long as we have things to wrap bacon around or stuff inside, we're gonna keep eating it. [ laughter and applause ] [ laughter ] back in my day, we didn't have jeb bush running for president with the slogan "jeb can fix it." no, sir! back then we just had jeb exclamation point. the exclamation point stood for, "this isn't goin' well! somebody's gotta fix this!" [ laughter ] you know what they say: like father, like son.
12:53 am
[ laughter ] back in my day, we didn't have no highfalutin apple watch. no, sir. if you wanted to look like a douche bag in public, you had to wear a bluetooth headset. [ laughter ] [ cheers and applause ] the blinking blue light let everyone know you're a massive tool. [ light laughter ] plus, you had both hands free to point at yourself and say, "who is the worst? this guy." [ laughter ] back in my day, we didn't have e. coli scares shutting down our chipotle restaurants. if we wanted to unleash a fiery hell storm on our bathroom, we'd eat regular, bacteria-free chipotle and just let nature run its course. [ laughter ] hey, someone's in here nana. [ bark ] oh, late again, rusty.
12:54 am
got your tongue, girl! [ laughter ] back in my day, we didn't have epic fail videos on youtube. you wanted to see some dip [ bleep ] fall down and crack his head, you got high with your friend ricky. [ laughter ] well, you just dared him to jump from the top of the car port into the swimming pool. and then later, if you wanted to share it with your friends, all you had to do was point across the cafeteria to where ricky was trying to carry a tray while strugglin' with his crutches. [ laughter ] and finally, back in my day, there wasn't a movie called "33" about chilean miners stuck in the ground. because they were still down there. [ light laughter ] well, it just would be rude to start makin' a movie about it. [ laughter ] well, you know, folks. i'm really sorry i had to ramble on like that. i guess sometimes this gripey
12:55 am
grrrouch. [ laughter ] this has been "back in my day." [ cheers and applause ] my moderate to severe chronic plaque psoriasis made a simple trip to the grocery store anything but simple. so finally, i had an important conversation with my dermatologist about humira. he explained that humira works inside my body to target and help block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to my symptoms. in clinical trials, most adults saw 75% skin clearance. and the majority were clear or almost clear in just 4 months. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common,
12:56 am
are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. ask your dermatologist about humira. because with humira clearer skin is possible. to do great things, sometimes you gotta break the rules. the all new surface pro 4. a new pen for new masterpieces. we reinvented the surface pro, so you can reinvent everything else. plumpify your lashes with new plumpify mascara a ginormous lash boosts lashes to 50 times the volume and lifts lashes new plumpify mascara
12:57 am
i've smoked a lot and quit a lot, but ended up nowhere. now i use this. the nicoderm cq patch, with unique extended release technology, helps prevent the urge to smoke all day. i want this time to be my last time. that's why i choose nicoderm cq. to do great things, sometimes you gotta break the rules. the all new surface pro 4. a new screen, for new perspectives. we reinvented the surface pro, so you can reinvent
12:58 am
[ cheers and applause ] >> seth: welcome back, everybody. and give it up for the 8g band. how are you guys? [ cheers and applause ] wonderful to see you. also, he's been laying it down on the drums all week for us. from queens and the stone age, jon theodore. jon, thank you so much for spending time with us again. [ cheers and applause ] >> thank you. >> seth: please come back soon. everybody, our first guest is a very talented actor who returns to the role of james bond in "spectre", the 24th installment in the iconic film franchise. let's take a look.
12:59 am
>> seth: please welcome to the show, daniel craig! [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: so happy you're here! [ cheers and applause ] now, i don't -- i don't want to put too much pressure on this, but if this interview -- if this interview goes well, your movie might do very well in the box office. >> is that right? [ laughter ] >> seth: yeah, that's what everybody's saying. >> good, good. >> seth: hey, i'm watching that clip -- do you now have a false sense of what a good driver you are, because of being in these movies? [ laughter ] >> i have a very good sense of how bad a driver i am. >> seth: yeah. so in reality, if you were driving it would be very possible that someone else might pass you on the highway.
1:00 am
i would imagine passing -- >> not many people pass me on the highway. [ light laughter ] >> seth: no? >> no. >> okay. >> seth: i'm very good at going in a straight line very fast. >> seth: so you do drive fast. >> yeah. >> seth: okay, gotcha. >> i mean, a little. [ light laughter ] >> seth: what do you drive in real life -- >> obviously with in the speed limit. >> seth: can i guess? can i guess what you drive in real life? a kia. >> yeah. [ light laughter ] how did you guess? >> seth: do you get so much free stuff for playing james bond? >> no, nothing -- >> seth: you have to. >> nothing is free. you don't get anything free. >> seth: you are never going to have to buy a watch again in your life. >> well, that's true. [ laughter ] >> seth: i'll tell you this, i'll give you $1 million if i ever see you looking around a [ bleep ] watch store. [ laughter ] no way. like, "oh, this looks nice. yeah, i might get this one." >> i was out today looking at watches actually. >> seth: were you really? >> i was! >> seth: well, all right, i take it back. [ laughter ] hey, before -- i didn't see you there, though. so i'm not paying up. >> seth: well, if there's pay you. [ light laughter ] i want to -- before we talk about bond, i want to talk about one of your early roles. because when i saw this, i was so delighted. because you had played bond first. television series you did back in england. i guess mid '90s. >> mid '90s, yeah.
1:01 am
[ scattered cheers ] and some people here have actually seen it. because this is not a dude who looked like he would grow up to play james bond. [ laughter ] that is -- that is really -- [ cheers and applause ] >> i mean -- >> seth: that is a credit to you as an actor, that you can play this guy and james bond. there is not -- can i guess that there wasn't a huge budget for wigs on this show? >> no. [ laughter ] no, that's my real hair. >> seth: that's your real hair? >> yeah, honestly. >> seth: do you remember -- this is also -- 'cause i think james bond is one of the coolest names in cinema. do you remember this character's name? >> geordie peacock. >> seth: geordie peacock. [ laughter ] you were a great -- you were as good of a james bond -- >> did you see it? >> seth: i did. i saw it. i watched the whole thing. >> well -- >> seth: i'm drawn to that kind of thing. [ light laughter ] i'm drawn to, like, northern english politics. >> about the labor party. >> seth: about the labor party. so this is -- what your fourth bond film. >> yep. >> seth: your last bond film. >> i don't know. >> seth: you don't know. >> i don't know. what do you think? >> seth: i think i'd love to play it. >> good. [ laughter ] okay.
1:02 am
there and audition. >> all right, well, the producers are right back there. >> seth: okay, great. 'cause i would love it. >> as soon as this is over, we should go sit down. >> seth: okay. only thing is, i can't drink a martini without some cranberry juice in it. [ laughter ] or else i just get a super hangover the next day. so, i think it'd be like, "i want a martini on the rocks with, like, half the vodka you usually have and the rest cranberry juice. and only one. don't let me order another one." [ laughter ] >> seth, seth, seth. no. >> seth: no? >> no, it's just not going to work. >> seth: okay. >> it's really not gonna work. >> seth: i think you're saying that, because you don't want the next bond to be a better bond. [ laughter ] you know -- >> that might be true. >> seth: i think that's it. >> that might be true. >> seth: yeah. >> yeah. >> seth: 'cause you could really -- you could point the finger, and the next guy you point the finger could be bond. >> i get to say -- like, what do you mean? like, "it's you." >> seth: yeah. or, like, you know -- i'm just saying, will you think about it? >> okay. >> seth: that i like. this is a real bond move you're doing. >> this is what you have to learn to do, though. >> seth: this is good. >> this is a good move. >> seth: okay, great. i can't tie my own ties. is that a problem? [ laughter ] >> you can't? >> seth: no, i have like a staff that does it. is that a problem for the movie? [ laughter ]
1:03 am
part's longer. [ laughter ] >> you're losing this job. >> seth: okay, you know what, you're right. i shouldn't talk about it. i should just let my face and everything else about me do the work. [ light laughter ] i have to say, because bond has historically been known, obviously, as a real ladies' man. and this film, what i like about this film, the women in it also very strong characters. >> yeah. >> seth: is that something that was nice to work with? >> yeah. obviously, from -- i mean, i don't really know any other way of doing it. i mean, you want to attract the most talented actresses you can for the role. >> seth: right. >> you've got to give them a good part. and i just think that it's much nicer to see him, james bond, go up against people, whether it's the female or male character. there should be some -- you know, a little bit of -- you know, friction. >> seth: toughness there. it is nice. i do -- because, i feel like, obviously you're a wonderful actor. you're a serious actor. when you go on to play other roles, i'm worried -- here's the thing i'm worried about. that you -- >> you shouldn't be worried. >> seth: no, just about this -- >> don't be worried. [ laughter ] no, really, don't be worried. >> seth: i'm not big worried, but --
1:04 am
>> seth: but it's small. [ laughter ] >> don't be worried. it's going to be okay. >> seth: you think it's gonna be okay? >> it's gonna be okay. >> seth: i want to see this guy again. [ laughter ] >> see? see? [ laughter ] >> seth: don't -- here's the thing, i feel like you're going to look at scripts and you're gonna say, "i think it's really weird, because in the first scene when i meet a lady, she doesn't sleep with me right away." because i feel like james bond, ladies sleep with him right away. >> yeah. >> seth: and i'm just warning you as an actor, you're going to go into other movies -- >> you think i'm gonna be -- i'm going to find that difficult? >> seth: yeah, i just think you're going to say, "hey, i don't want to tell you guys how to direct the movie --" >> what if i'm doing a movie, and i'm having a relationship with a guy. i mean, that's like, that might happen. >> seth: that might happen. >> yeah. >> seth: right away, first scene. >> yeah. >> seth: all right. [ laughter ] although you know, really -- >> yeah? >> seth: i've watched bond, it's always the second scene. the first scene, the girl is always like, "no thank you, mr. bond." [ light laughter ] and then it's the second scene. >> this is the part you should be playing. [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: better luck next time. >> i can't look at that. i really can't look at that. >> seth: you know how i managed to do it?
1:05 am
[ laughter ] one of the most iconic photos of you as james bond -- i have so many pictures over here. this is a real -- this is full hunk star right there. and, um, that's a -- [ cheers and applause ] yeah. but now, what i like about this is this is not like a planned moment. this was pretty accidental. >> the water was just -- [ laughter ] it was -- you know, in the bahamas, it's beautiful. but it goes out for a mile and it's this deep. that's why it's so nice to be there. >> seth: right. you can't drown. >> so in the scene, i'm sort of pretending to swim, because it's crazy. and you're thinking, "okay. how does this work?" and then i have to stand up. the water is at my knees. [ laughter ] that's how the shot came out. >> seth: i like that. >> so it was pure accident. >> seth: i like that children are watching james bond, like "mommy, why is that man swimming in a foot of water?" [ laughter ] >> not a good look. but it's in the movie. >> seth: so next year you're going back to the stage. you're doing a "othello" with david oyelowo, which is very exciting. a wonderful actor, as well.
1:06 am
>> seth: is it exciting to go back to stage? >> oh, i mean, it's terrifying, because iago, which is who i'm playing in "othello", is -- i think it's the biggest part in shakespeare. there is lots of lines. [ laughter ] >> seth: a lot of lines, and let's be honest, james bond, not a lot of lines. [ laughter ] >> no. which i keep it deliberately like that. >> seth: it's great. >> better that way. >> seth: because i was -- in james bond movies, it's always someone else telling him everything. either the bad guys telling him their plan or it's the lady being like, "no, thank you, james bond." remember this? [ laughter ] >> don't do that. please. >> seth: so this is good. i'm very happy that you're gonna have to put yourself through this, and actually have to do some work. [ laughter ] i'm just saying. i just want you to know, this is an off-broadway production. >> will you come see it? >> seth: i'm gonna come see it. but i need to let you know, no free watches on shakespeare. >> free rapiers. >> seth: you get a free rapier. but, look, if this is or if this isn't the last bond for you, you've been a fantastic james bond. i just really truly -- [ cheers and applause ]
1:07 am
>> seth: you really have. revitalized the franchise. and thank you. it's a really nice watch. it's a really nice watch. got a good one. thank you so much for being here. i really appreciate it. [ cheers and applause ] daniel craig, everybody! "spectre" is in theaters and imax tomorrow. we'll be right back with regina king. [ cheers and applause ] wishes do come true. the lincoln wish list event is on. right now get exceptional offers on the entire lincoln family. during the final days of thelincoln wish list event sign and drive off in a new 2016lincoln mkx
1:08 am
our research shows that people really like how with directv you could put tvs anywhere and not see cable wires and boxes in every room. why can't we get people to just say cables, schmables? hold on, hold on, i really like what you're doing there because if we just add "schma" in front of something, it just doesn't seem like a big deal. boxes, schmoxes. there you go. cold sore, cold schmore. yes! scotch, schmotch! what? i'll take some of that schmotch! alright.
1:09 am
(vo) get rid of cable and upgrade to directv. call 1-800-directv. our clothes can stretch out in the wash, ruining them forever. protect your clothes from stretching, fading, and fuzz. ...with downy fabric conditioner... it helps protect clothes from the damage of the wash. so your favorite clothes stay your favorite clothes.
1:10 am
does prism tv have all the channels we watch? that's a great question. prism tv has all the channels i watch,
1:11 am
and i like hd. get over 140 of your favorite channels with the prism essential tv package from centurylink. [ ding! ] now's the time to switch to prism tv. [ ding! ] get prism tv and internet from centurylink at our lowest price of the year. just $70 a month for one year with autopay enrollment. [ cheers and applause ]
1:12 am
everybody. you know our next guest from her work in films like "boys n the hood," "jerry maguire," and "ray," and her emmy-award-winning role in the critically-acclaimed tv series, "american crime." she's currently starring in an hbo show, "the leftovers," which airs sunday nights at 9:00. let's take a look. >> that man that you beat the [ bleep ] out of this morning, he thinks it's because he was selling our water. >> no, he was telling lies. >> then why did you take his palm print? because i seem to recall there being one being left on the car that our daughter disappeared from. let's just call this what it is. >> what is it? >> you need to hit people because you need to hit people. >> seth: please welcome to the
1:13 am
[ cheers and applause ] >> seth: welcome, i'm so happy to have you here. [ cheers and applause ] >> i am so happy to be here. >> seth: now, i want to congratulate you. you won an emmy this year. >> i did. i did. [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: you won an emmy for "american crime." and you had something lovely happen which is taraji p. henson, who's a friend of yours -- >> who actually presented -- >> seth: she was presenting the category. is there anything before she said your name that gave away that she was excited you were the winner? >> it did. she did one little thing. she opened it up and went -- [ gasp ] and my heart went -- [ gasp ] "it's me! it's really me!" [ laughter ] >> seth: that's nice. so you had an extra half second to think about your speech. >> an extra half a second, yeah. it's always nice to see friends out there. >> mouths is wide open. [ laughter ] >> seth: mouths wide open. >> both of our mothers are probably like, "you could have shut your mouths." >> seth: "you won an emmy. keep your mouth closed. do it with your eyes."
1:14 am
you brought your son to the emmys. and look at this handsome fellow, obviously enjoying himself. i mean it must be fun -- >> yes, we enjoyed ourselves. >> seth: did you have fun? what was it like having your son as a date to the emmys? >> you know, it was special because he was actually with me when i found out i was nominated. >> seth: oh, that's great. >> so it was full circle. he seemed to -- when he found out that i was nominated, he was in the backseat. he was actually a p.a. on "the leftovers." >> seth: okay, great. >> and he goes "about time!" and i'm like, "oh, he's rooting for me." then to cut to however many weeks or months later, to see him in the audience and just have that moment with him -- >> seth: that's really lovely. now -- i ask because you have a few things in common with your son that most people don't. you guys got matching tattoos? is this true? >> yes, yes. >> seth: so when did this come about, and what inspired the idea? >> during his senior year of high school, he said, "mom, you know, we should get matching tattoos."
1:15 am
yeah, we should!" [ light laughter ] and then we are getting close to time for him to go -- >> seth: were you excited because your son wanted to do something cool with you? 'cause that, i would imagine -- >> you know, i did think it was kind of cool but i just thought it would -- >> seth: go away. >> yeah. so he's talking about it and he said, "before i go to college. before i leave." "sure." so i was working on "american crime," and it's coming close to that day that's time to drive him to college, and he goes, "mom, we got to make the schedule." i said, "you know, i'm working on 'american crime.' covering up the tattoo, i already started shooting." he said, "you're playing a muslim. that's not going to fly here. you can cover it up. you can get a tattoo." >> seth: so you did it? >> yeah, so we did it. and i'm so glad we did because it's that special bond between the two of us. we got tattoos that mean "unconditional love."
1:16 am
>> i got the cool mom award. >> seth: the only reason i wouldn't do that with my mom is i wouldn't want her to see me cry like a baby again, because i'm pretty sure i would do that if i got a tattoo. >> what tattoo would you and your mom get? >> seth: i don't know. she would probably want a tattoo of my brother's name. [ laughter ] i would say, "don't do that in front of me. we're in the tattoo parlor. do that on your own time." so, i have a question. you are someone who has had such a long career. you've been in so many different projects. what's the thing people recognize you the most from? >> you know, i'm pretty lucky that i've had a pretty full career, so there are a lot of things. i guess probably more than anything, "the boondocks," "jerry maguire," "boys n the hood," probably "american crime." but the funny thing is, i could never figure out what a person knows me from when they come up to me. they're just happy to see me and i'm like, "oh, look at you, you've probably seen 'jerry maguire.'" >> seth: sure, that's a good
1:17 am
>> so men of a lighter persuasion -- [ laughter ] >> seth: sure, sure. tom cruise was in it. he was "top gun"! >> so, i actually had a guy, a 50-year-old white dude come up to me and he's like, "regina king!" i'm, like, "jerry maguire." "how stella got her groove back." [ laughter ] and i'm like, "wow, that was your jam." [ laughter ] >> seth: you got my jam wrong. i'm happy to say -- my homeroom when i was in high school was "227." and we sang the "227" theme song every single day when we walked in the class. >> wow, i wouldn't have guessed that. i would have named three or four before that one. [ laughter ] >> seth: i'm a "227" head. that's the truth. >> very cool. >> seth: a very cool show as well is "the leftovers." this is season 2 of the show. they sort of changed the location, a good amount of the cast. this is a show about 2% of the population mysteriously disappears. tell me about season 2 and your
1:18 am
>> so season 2 takes about two years after we've left season 1. and the garvey's moved to a town where nobody disappeared in this town. and in the whole entire world, this is the only town that there was -- the departure didn't take place. as you can imagine, a town like that has all this mystery surrounding it. we feel like we're kind of special in jarden, texas. miracle, texas is what it's been deemed because there is a whole museum about this town. and the garvey's come and more crap goes down. >> seth: all right. so this is good to tune in this season if you want to see crap go down. >> if you want your mind blown, yes, tune in. >> seth: "american crime" a real crap goes down as well, and this is sort of a fascinating approach to the second season of that, which is a lot of the cast is coming back with completely different stories. they're playing different characters? >> yeah, you know, it's very cool. it's almost like a theater group. we're doing our fall production
1:19 am
it's a totally new story. we're set in indianapolis. we look totally different. andre benjamin plays my husband. that's kind of sexy. [ laughter ] >> seth: that is really sexy. well done. yeah, that is good. [ cheers ] >> and i'm this affluent woman in indianapolis. our family is a very successful family, and the crime in this season takes place around a sexual assault with two guys. >> seth: all right. >> and it's something that happens. and it's not talked about a lot. and once again, in john ridley's genius fashion, he's putting stuff out there for you to deal with. >> seth: so "american crime" and "the leftovers" are just a laugh a minute. these are two of the funniest shows on tv. >> i mean, you know, yes. >> seth: that's why i liked my "227." >> you could go to sleep with a smile. you know, they call "the leftovers" misery porn. >> seth: i bet it is.
1:20 am
it. well thank you so much for being here. i'm such a fan. >> thank you for having me. >> seth: congratulations on your emmys. [ cheers and applause ] regina king, everybody. "the leftovers" air sunday nights at 9:00 on hbo. we'll be back with more "late night." [ cheers and applause ] if you could see your cough, it's just a cough. you'd see how often you cough all day and so would everyone else.
1:21 am
powerful cough relief that lasts up to twelve hours. new robitussin 12 hour cough relief. because it's never just a cough. other wireless carriers make families share data. not t-mobile! switch now and get four lines with up to six gigs each. and no sharing. just thirty bucks a line at t-mobile. to feel this special... you need to eat this special. i love it kellogg's special k... ...made with whole grains and fiber ...to help a body thrive. i love it folic acid and vitamin d... ...to make a body feel this good. start your day with 150 nourishing calories... ...in a bowl of special k. i love it eat special, feel special. discover more ways to eat special
1:22 am
aspartame free diet pepsi. just one sip [ahh] and you're in love. just for men sent three guys to a top barber shop to see if the barbers could tell
1:23 am
actually, it's me. really? i couldn't even tell...it looks so natural. just for men autostop makes it easy to get rid of gray... just comb it in...it can't go too dark. crazy, right? oh my gosh, wow. great looking hair. made easy.
1:24 am
[ cheers and applause ] >> seth: welcome back to "late night." our next guest is a tv personality, author and former advertising ceo. the premier of his new comedy series, "donny!" airs november 10th at 10:30 pm on usa network. let's take a look. >> what are you talking about? you sext? >> i don't sext. >> yeah, i do. i send them for you. >> wait, is that part of the job? >> no i'm not a moron, okay? i will sometimes after a couple of dates with a nice lady might send a picture of myself with, like, a shirt off, but always covered, like the kind of
1:25 am
>> post swimming? that kind? >> yes. this is not a sext. come here, come here. look at it. [ laughter ] i got a towel on. it's not funny. >> that's a bathroom selfie. that is totally a sext. >> seth: please welcome to the show, donny deutsch. [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: how are you? >> james bond, donny deutsch. >> seth: there you go. you know what we're going to do today? we're going to flip it. after the day, donny's on top james bond's in the gutter. >> thanks for having me. >> seth: of course. this is your new show, "donny," with an exclamation point. right off the bat, were you bummed out when jeb bush's campaign also had an exclamation point? kind of, like, fully crashed. did you feel like that was a bad signal? >> look at it this way. there is only so much room for so many exclamation points. so i kinda see this good
1:26 am
oh, right. >> and now there's one exclamation point standing. >> seth: you're the last exclamation point standing. so this is -- based on your life. you play yourself. yes. >> i play a highly idiotic version of myself. which wasn't much of a stretch. >> seth: okay, got it. because you had a long career in the ad business. >> yes. >> seth: so what was the catalyst for taking your career and your persona and creating this show? >> it's interesting. i spent a lot of years in advertising and then for a bunch of years, had a talk show on cnbc. and i'm always on "morning joe." and, you know, i met so many people, as you have, so many celebrities and public personas who basically have this loving character on camera. you meet them off camera and you're like, "this guy is a real jerk." and so i thought i would play with that. and in the show, i have a day-time talk show, like a dr. phil-type show called "donny," where, on the show, i give people wonderful, loving advice, and off the show i'm a complete jerk, doing all the things i'm telling people not to do, a hypocrite, and stumbling my way through. >> seth: you have a lot of cameos on the show, a lot of the
1:27 am
mentioned you became friends with over the years. were these people who have known you from your other life, were they surprised to hear you were doing a comedy show? >> yeah, everybody was like, "did you send -- did you give people a lot of money to get on a show on the air?" no, usa people love the show. but everybody from kathie lee and hoda and matt lauer and regis philbin and martha stewart and billy bush and maria menounos and nick and joe all play themselves. i come on their show. there was one show we reached out to -- i come on as a fake character on hoda and kathie lee. there was one show we reached out to, "the seth meyers show" that turned us down. >> seth: yes, i said yes to deutsch, but i turned down "donny." [ laughter ] i did a different show. >> so they show up, and it's just a lot of fun. everyone comes to play. it's a aeal takedown on the media. >> seth: true story you use your own apartment? >> yes. the only thing real in the show is we filmed it at a very nice townhouse in manhattan. we use that as a backdrop. [ laughter and applause ]
1:28 am
else is real. in real life, i have three daughters. and on the show, i have a a 12-year-old -- 15-year-old daughter, and 9-year-old tap-dancing son. and what is true to real life though is in real life i'm surrounded by incredibly powerful women. my old agency was all run by women. in my personal life, i have these amazing women. i have this great, strong mother. i have these great best friends. i actually think women are superior to men. and that's the thesis of this show. [ cheers and applause ] it's absolutely true. and in the show, i'm the idiot. i'm the butt of the joke, and all these incredible women somehow get behind me and save me. and it's dumb donny, smart women, and that's pretty much the formula. >> seth: we obviously have a fascinating campaign going on. a fascinating presidential race. and you have sort of a personal connection with a few -- you worked on the clinton campaign in '92. bill clinton's campaign, which is fascinating. a fascinating time in politics. >> yes, very cool. >> seth: and you also were on "the apprentice" and worked with donald trump. >> and i know trump very well.
1:29 am
[ laughter ] >> time to move to canada. [ laughter ] no. let me tell you about trump. whether you like trump or not, he's great for the race because he's shining a light. it's like basically throwing a hand grenade in there, and let's see what happens. and i think any time you bring more attention -- >> seth: usually the people in a place where a grenade gets thrown, they'll say, "you know what? i like him." >> no, but it brings attention to him. >> seth: i'm not complaining, i've had nothing but fun. >> and hillary early on, i do a lot of political commentary on "morning joe." i said, "america is tired. they want to turn the page." but i think that the more -- i liken her to "law & order." look it's been on all this time. rave at something else. i think people are changing the dialect -- "maybe 'law & order' is not so bad. i'll take one more season of 'law & order.'" [ laughter ] what america wants to see, actually, is trump versus hillary. that's the reality show we want to see. and i somehow think that's going to happen.
1:30 am
trump is going to get the nomination. as bizarre as that is. >> seth: i've been wrong at every turn with trump. i thought he was pretend running. i never thought he would file. and so you say that, which i would have laughed at that -- i don't know now if that's that outside the realm of possibility. >> i actually think -- who else is it going to be? >> seth: well that's the thing. >> and i think there is a difference -- i think the same way -- i don't think he really wants to be president. he just wants to run. i think america wants to see him run. i don't think they'll actually elect him. but i want to see this show. [ laughter ] >> seth: i do think there is a chance. [ applause ] it would be the first -- inauguration where you hear him say his mic would be hot and he would go, "four years." and like, "what? "i don't want to do this for four years." >> i actually asked him both personally and on the air. i said to him, i said, "donald, look, you love to chase. i know you want to win. but do you actually want the this job?" and he did not answer me. because i think, you can't fire congress and 99% of what you do
1:31 am
and he's not used to doing stuff that sucks. you know? there's a joke in there somewhere. [ light laughter ] >> seth: i was -- i do want to finish with this. because you know, you're on -- obviously on camera playing a character -- donny deutsch was on tv. i guess it was probably one of the first times you were on tv. you were on "the match game." and what year is this? >> actually, this year is 1980. >> seth: 1980? >> this is true. i was on "the match game." >> seth: let's look at a clip. very exciting. >> have the children turn away. >> what answer would you like to give us to match betty white? >> situation comedy. [ cheers and applause ] >> for $5,000, betty, what do you say? >> situation normal, all fouled up. that ain't it. comedy! [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: betty white looks exactly the same, and you do not. [ laughter ] >> yeah. >> seth: you do not look exactly the same. >> i had the epstein from
1:32 am
and then betty and i went out afterwards and it was crazy. >> seth: you spent every dime of that $5,000. >> by the way, $5,000 is a lot of money, today. back then, i was trump. >> seth: thanks so much for being here. >> i really appreciate it. thanks, buddy. >> seth: donny deutsch. check out the series premier of "donny!" november 10th at 10:30 pm on usa network.
1:33 am
1:34 am
1:35 am
1:36 am

13 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on