tv NBC Nightly News With Lester Holt NBC February 14, 2016 4:30pm-5:00pm MST
- sportacus? [gasping] - it's the little pink girl. why is she here-- she's early. - sportacus? - where's sportacus-- where is he? - she's telling us something. - what'd she say? - sportacus? - i'm sleeping. - but, you're talking to me. - i'm sleep talking. [sighing] - i'm coming in! [panting] - the costume! - she's talking to someone. - who's she talking to? - must be sportacus. - stay. - closet closing. - i'm coming in. - no-no-no-no-no-- i-i-- come back later. - no, i'm coming in. - bed! - bed coming down. it's not 8:08. - yes! i just have to put it away, right now. - she's going in. - ah! - yeah.
- what's going on? why is he already in bed? - huh? - sportacus? - uh, uh, uh, yes, yes? oh, yes, i'm sportacus. - huh? - is that really sportacus? - my chin? oh-oh-oh, that's so my chin can point me in the right direction. - but, why is your voice different? - my voice? a new style, my dear. - but, why are you teeth so big? - why all these questions? you have to go, now. but, i brought you a surprise. oh, great, thanks-- give it to me. - no! - give it to me! - no-- you're not sportacus! - she's trying to take the basket away from him. - huh? - what? - what's going on? - i don't know. - this is strange. [grunting] - whoa! - closet open. [screaming] - nothing to see here! - closet closing. - something really weird is going on here.
- yes. - you can have it! - whoa! - sportacus? - what? - you need to send your guest home, now. we're about to take off. destination, anywhere-- door closing in five. [gasping] - four. - the airship's taking off! - get the skycam outta there. - skycam flying out. - three. - whoa! - i'm outta here. - what are you doing? - two. [screaming] - wait for me! - ah, yeah! oh, she made it! - where did she go? - fly me! [screaming] - what's she saying? - she's trying to say something. - her lips are moving-- can you read lips? - no, i cannot read lips! - candy? - no, no, i don't think so. - we need sound! - yeah-yeah, we're working on it, working on it! - oh, gosh, oh, gosh. - sound? - what about these, huh? - huh? - fly me! - huh? - fly me! - we got sound! - we have sound! - guys, fly me! - we're gonna have to help her.
[screaming] - i got ya, i got ya. it's gonna be okay. whoa! - that was close. - yeah. happening in the airship. there's something really weird going on with sportacus. - uh-huh. - what? - yeah. - yeah, on the sports candy flyer. so we can see with sportacus. connect. [gasping] - good thinking, pixel. everything is out of control! - door opening. - closet opening. airship flying out of control. [yelling] - what's that? - there's two of them. stephanie, can you see them? check your screen. - i see it-- i knew something was wrong. - yeah. - certainly. - one of them has the blindfold we gave him, but his crystal is glowing red, which means he doesn't have any energy. - there's nothing about that on the checklist.
- i just wanna go down! - platform going down. - look-- he's going down. [groaning] [screaming] - guys, where's the airship headed? - calculating trajectory of airship, - and final coordinates are-- hmm. pixel's house. [gasping] - pixel's house? - pixel's house? - that's this house! - oh, man, oh, man. - we need to know what's going on outside. activating outdoor camera. [screaming] the other one's hanging onto the airship. sportacus is the only one who could stop the airship. - but, he's in a sugar meltdown! - oh, oh. - there must be a way. - pixel! - huh? - the flyer is equipped with a sports candy dropper. - we just have to drop one sports candy into his mouth. - yeah. - then, he'll get his energy back. we only have three grapes. - forward, forward, a little
- aw. - so close. [collective groaning] - one more pass. - the airship's getting closer to us. - hold on. - we only have two grapes left. - i know, but it's really hard. - the airship's rocking too much. - i know what to do. - okay, one more time-- circling around. lining up. - come on, pixel. - okay, steady, steady. - you can do it. - grapes away! - oh! - oh, no! - now, we only have one grape left. - there it is! - what? - ah! - yes! - what's that pink girl doing? - okay, guys, i'm holding the airship steady. - okay, let's try it. - yeah. - okay.
- you can do this. - yeah. - okay, thrusters, look around. - lining up, slowing down. - oh! - and go, sports candy! [gasping] - yeah-- yeah! - he's got energy! - we did it! - hooray! - ah! - whoa-- whoa! [panting] - it's gonna crash into pixel's house. i need to stop it! - blech! - you crash in nine. - what? [collective chatter] - it's gonna crash! - what-- crash? - this is the end of robbie rotten. - five, four-- - what have i done?
- two. - no! bye-bye. [screaming] - crash avoided. - oh! - he's falling! - opening outer doors. - sportacus, are you okay? - what happened? [mumbling] - huh-- what? - sportacus? - ah! - where's he going? sportacus? [gasping] - robbie rotten! who did you expect, sportaloon? - oh, he is not on this list. - come on, you guys-- let's go find stephanie. - well, what's going on, huh? - that was really close. - i know. - who gave me the sports candy, so i could regain my energy? - why don't you put on the blindfold and find out? - yeah. - do it-- do it! [chuckling] - okay.
[collective chatter] - okay, go! - okay, sportacus, take off your blindfold. - surprise! - surprise! - wow-- that's what i call a sport candy surprise. [laughter] - yeah! - bing bang digga rigga dong funny words i sing when i am dancing dancing dancing bing bang digga rigga dong silly words that can mean anything get on up it's time to dance yeah it's so much fun being up on our feet do the jump and clap your hands together together turn around what it's all about - whoa!
the leading cough liquid only provides relief for four hours, but did you know there's a product that lasts for twelve hours? try delsym twelve hour cough liquid. its advanced formula works by immediately releasing powerful medicine that acts fast while its extended release medicine lasts for 12 hours. in fact, delsym lasts three times longer than the leading cough liquid. for all day or all night relief, try delsym -the #1 doctor recommended 12 hour cough liquid.
with animals and fun all around so discover the forest and explore all the wonder that's there visit discovertheforest.org to find a forest near you - oh, hey. oh, uh... wanna get more out of your walks? then plug the sounds of your favorite band in your ears and pick up the pace. it' s an easy way to turn plain old walking into a workout.
good evening. the unexpected death of u.s. supreme court justice antonin scalia is reshaping the 2016 race for the white house. only three supreme court justices have died in office in more than 60 years, and only one has been confirmed during an election year since 1940. some gop presidential hopefuls are questioning president obama's established executive authority to nominate a replacement during this election season. however, the president has already said it will happen but in due time.
tonight and starts us off. >> reporter: today the silent display of respect across washington. but no pause before the clash of politics. >> there is no way the senate should confirm anyone that barack obama tries to appoint in his last year in office to a lifetime appointment. [ applause ] >> reporter: an instant power struggle over a successor to justice scalia. >> let me just make one point -- barack obama is president of the united states until january 20th, 2017. everybody -- >> reporter: president obama made clear he will nominate a new justice and expects the senate to consider his choice fairly. responsibilities that should everyone. they're bigger than any one party. they are about our democracy. >> reporter: if the president gets to seat his third just, that third justice, that change would make the court more liberal. compounding the shock of scalia's sudden
a campaign year. >> we ought to make the 2016 election a referendum on the supreme court. >> reporter: republican candidate ted cruz had been a law clerk for chief justice rehnquist. now as a senator, he intends to block any obama nominee. >> we're advising that a lame duck president not going to be able to tip the balance of the supreme court. >> reporter: democrats are already calling out cruz. >> ted cruz holds the constitution when he walks through the halls of congress. let him show me the clause that says the president's only president for three years. >> reporter: with fewer senate votes, democrats may have to take their fight for an obama court pick to the campaign trail, as well. >> i just don't think it looks good that for very overtly political reasons that the republicans would deny this president the right to exercise his constitutional responsibility which is to appoint members to the supreme court. >> reporter: for some gop candidates and
their opposition goes beyond the idea of simply voting down anyone the president might choose. they say there should be no confirmation process, no vetting, no hearing, no vote at all. thomas? >> kelly o'donnell at the white house. thank you. and the death of just scalia also raises questions about how the court might decide a number of key cases this term from abortion rights to affirmative action. we get more on scalia's death and its impact from our justice correspondent, pete williams. >> reporter: as in the rest of the nation, justice scalia's death is being mourned in texas where he died saturday at this guest ranch popular with fellow bird hunters of an apparent heart attack. >> he had obviously passed away with no difficulty at all, middle of the night. it was -- that was our first message for the family. >> reporter: a catholic priest from a nearby church was summoned to administer last rites. justice scalia's colleagues on the court praised a towering intellect. ruth bader ginsburg
buddies," adding, "he had a rare talent to make even a sober judge laugh." clarence thomas said, "it is hard to imagine court without my friend. i will miss him baund all measure." the court often divided 5-4 along ideological lines on big cases, justice scalia's death leaves eight justices and the possibility of tie votes 4-4. >> if there's a tie, there's no outcome at the supreme court. the lower court ruling stands. it's as if the supreme court never heard the case. >> reporter: a tie vote would leave rulings intact that block president obama's plan to let five million undocumented migrants stay here. a tie would mean the tough new texas restrictions on abortion would remain, possibly inspiring other states to enact similar laws. a tie would be a boost to the financial strength of unions representing teachers and other public employees. if a democratic president appointed a successor to the conservative scalia, that would tilt the court the other way to a majority of liberal justices. >> if president obama were able to put
court, he would cement a leftist majority on the court for the next generation or so. >> reporter: among potential nominees mentioned in legal circles, sri sri srinivasan, indian american, patricia millet on the d.c. court of appeals, and paul wattford from california. the justices will be back on the bench for n a week and will face the prospect of finishing without a full court for the first time in more than 50 years. peter? >> pete williams reporting for us at the supreme court. thank you. the death of scalia and emerging battle over choosing and confirming the next justice, the republican presidential candidates were questioned about a number of other key and divisive issues in their debate last night in south carolina. as gabe gutierrez reports, it was their most combative debate so far. >> justice antonin scalia -- >> reporter: after a moment of silence for justice scalia came the most contentious
>> just been telling lies -- >> why do you supply. >> liar, liar, liar. >> reporter: the words "liar" or some variation were used at least 22 times. 13 by front-runner donald trump. and yet -- >> didn't call anybody a liar -- >> you called ted cruz >> reporter: slammed by jeb bush over foreign policy and how to fight isis in >> it is lewd udicrous to suggest that russia could be a partner in this. >> jeb is so wrong. >> while donald trump was building a reality tv show, my brother was building a security apparatus to keep us safe. >> the world trade center came down during your brother's reign. remember that. [ boos ] >> reporter: marco rubio trying to rebound from his last debate came to bush's defense today blaming 9/11 on bill clinton's decision ton not to take out bin laden. >> it allowed isis to prosper and by 2001 have the ability to strike america. >> reporter: they clashed over immigration. at one point cruz took
had said in a spanish language interview. >> i don't know how he knows what i said on univision because he doesn't speak spanish. second of all -- [ speaking spanish ] >> reporter: cruz also pounced on trump for what he called the billionaire's past liberal positions. >> you are the single biggest liar. you probably are worse than jeb bush. are you the single biggest liar. >> donald has this weird pattern. when you point to his own record, he screams, liar, liar, liar. >> reporter: striking a different tone, john kasich. >> i got to tell you, this is just crazy. this is just nuts, okay. [ applause ] >> geez, oh man. >> i think we're fixing to lose the election to hillary clinton if we don't stop this. [ applause ] >> reporter: tonight, there seems to be no stopping trump. >> i think it was probably my best performance. >> reporter: in a state where politics is a contact sport. the gop primary here is just six days away. tomorrow, hoping to
family's popularity in south carolina, jeb bush will be joined on the campaign trail by his brother, george w. bush, and the former first lady tomorrow. >> gabe gutierrez reporting from south carolina. thank you. for your retirement, you want to celebrate the little things, because they're big to you. and that is why you invest. the best returns aren't just measured in dollars. td ameritrade . good news. you're down with crestor. alright! now there's a way you can get crestor for $3. adding crestor, along with diet, lowers bad cholesterol. crestor is not for people with liver disease, or women who are nursing,pregnant, . . .
. . . . these could be signs of serious side effects. ask for the crestor $3 card. ask your doctor about crestor. at safelite, we know how busy your life can be. oh no this mom didn't have time to worry about a cracked windshield. so she scheduled at safelite.com and with safelite's exclusive "on my way text" she knew exactly when i'd be there. hi, steve with safelite. thanks for your text! i replaced her windshield... and she didn't miss a single shot giving you more time for what matters most. how'd ya do? we won! nice! that' another safelite advantage. thank you so much! (team sing) safelite repair, safelite replace. t i'm billy, rand i quit smoking withvchantix. i decided to take chantix to shut everybody else up about me quitting smoking. i was going to give it a try, but i didn't really think it was going to really happen. after one week of chantix, i knew i could quit. along with support, chantix (varenicline) is proven
chantix definitely helped reduce my urge to smoke. some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. some had seizures while taking chantix. if you have any of these, stop chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of mental health problems, which could get worse or of seizures. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you have these, stop chantix and call your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. tell your doctor if you have heart or blood vessel problems, or develop new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack or stroke. decrease alcohol use while taking chantix. use caution when driving or operating machinery. most common side-affect is nausea. being a non-smoker feels great. ask your doctor if chantix is right for you. part of the northeast woke up to record breaking krd this morning. good news, though, a warming trend is coming and quickly. our meteorologist,
what's in store. dylan? >> good evening, thomas. it is the coldest weather we've seen so far this season. and in fact, the coldest valentine's day on record. it's all thanks to the polar vortex dropping down this cold arctic air from canada. we are going to see things turn the corner as we go into tomorrow. this morning, we broke records in new york city with the temperature of minus 1. the old record in boston was minus 3. we bottomed out at minus 9. albany, 13 below. watertown started the day off at 37 below zero. monday we'll start to turn the corner. temperatures above freezing in new york. boston, 3. boston should -- boston, 35. then tuesday, temperatures will soar to the mid 50s, about 15 degrees above average for the northeast. pittsburgh should even hit 41 degrees. with this next storm system moving in, while it will start as snow, it will turn over to rain. here we go, 5:00 in the morning on monday. lighter snow showers back through west virginia.
period of heavier snow across virginia and washington, d.c. quick one to three inches possible in washington monday morning. then we'll see it turn over to rain as we go into monday night. new york city will also see some light accumulations, about one to two inches. then we'll see things turn over to rain through the afternoon and evening on tuesday here in new york city. thomas? >> thank you very much. when we come back in a moment, a tribute to those who made a perilous journey. how a symbol of their adversity became art. it's the little things in life that make me smile. spending the day with my niece. i don't use super poligrip for hold, because my dentures fit well. before those little pieces would get in between my dentures and my gum and it was uncomfortable. even well fitting dentures let in food particles. just a few dabs of super poligrip free is clinically proven to seal out more food particles so you're more comfortable and confident while you eat. so it's not about keeping my dentures in, it's about keeping the food particles out.
zealand today as a strong earthquake strict near christchurch on the south island. the quake had a magnitude of 5.8 and caused part of a dloif collapse to the -- cliff to collapse into the ocean. no reports of major damage or serious injuries. the quake came eight days before the fifth anniversary of a
that killed almost 200 people. the plight of migrants and refugees crossing into europe is dramatically illustrated in a new exhibit. some 14,000 orange life jackets worn by the migrants have been wrapped around the pillars of the concert hall in berlin where a raft is also on display. it's the work of a chinese dissident artist. more than 3,700 migrants died last year trying to cross the mediterranean to europe. and on this valentine's day, we have a love story to talk it. it's one for the ages. he's 104. she's his younger wife, just 100. john and ann better of fairfield, connecticut, are said to be the longest married couple in the u.s. 83 years. today through the twitter account of a company that's embraced their story, they offered advice to questions like how do they keep things fresh and new. said ann, "we hang on to one another. just a few little hugs, and we're fine." what a beautiful story. happy valentine's day to them and to all of you. that's going to do it for "nbc nightly
lester holt will be back next sunday. i'm thomas roberts from new york. thank you and good night. flurries and strong winds swept across parts of colorado. danielle grant tells us if our milder days are behind us. victims of domestic violence and abuse take a stand in downtown denver. >> it makes me sick. i'm one in three. >> fewer candidates but more conflict. republicans faced off in one of their most contentious debates yet. i got to tell you, this is just crazy. huh? this is just nuts. okay? [ applause ] jeez oh man. >> and a local artist puts his own spin on valentine's day.