Skip to main content

tv   FOX News Special Presidential Debate 1  FOX  September 26, 2016 6:00pm-7:30pm PDT

tv-commercial
6:00 pm
this is fox news special presentation. i'm shepard smith live at hofstra university and this is the fox broadcast special coverage of the first presidential debate of 20916. certainly a historic night here in hempstead, new york, just outside manhattan. the first face to face showdown between hillary clinton and donald trump and also the first time a woman will be on the stage and donald trump's first time against anybody. so many people onstage he could hang back and let the other candidates go at it. not tonight.
6:01 pm
clinton and donald trump. trump's campaign manager says she's not worried at all. just yesterday she called him the babe ruth of debating. this face-off comes as polls show the race is getting closer. surveys show it's basically tied in crucial battleground states that could decide the election. polls say they don't like the nominees, most of them. a "the winning ed one-third of voters will be very important in making them make up their minds and analysts predict 100 million people may be watching with you tonight. that's almost as many as the past few super bowls. in fact, the "new york post" shows some bars are showing the debate instead of monday night football, and other bar owners are sticking with the games for safety reasons feeling it may
6:02 pm
and may be right. i mentioned polls, shannon, showing the race really is closer. >> yes. candidates going into tonight's debate with the polls tighter than ever. which means what happens on the stage tonight could have an impact on the race for the white house. a virtual heat. hillary clinton 44%. donald trump at 43% among likely voters due to the most reliable polling group and a new poll from bloomberg, trump leads clinton mothmouth poll, goes to clinton. in all three polls libertarian gary johnson, 8%. analysts are skeptical about third party voters actually showing up on election day. tonight's guest, trump has several family members including children and spouses along with a benghazi survivor, gold star mother. and keith kellogg and bruce duval.
6:03 pm
scene as a trump surrogate. a lot of talk, you know, about dallas mavericks owner mark cuban as a guest of hillary clinton and a 9/11 survivor. a single mother who suffered domestic violence and a woman who became pen pals with clinton at 8 years old and clinton was in the white house as first lady. her campaign says she's in the zone, feeling competent. trump's team said he'll be bold laying out his vision for america. >> of course, the trump and clinton family are in attendance tonight and on the first row for a good view. lester holt of "nbc nightly news" will be your moderator. going 90 minutes uninterrupted by commercial breaks. so sit back and enjoy. we're glad you're with us tonight on fox. good evening from hofstra university in hempstead, new york. i'm lester holt, anchor of "nbc nightly news" and i want to welcome you to the first presidential debate.
6:04 pm
donald trump and hillary clinton. this debate is sponsored by the commission on president's debates, a non-partisan, nonprofit organization. the commission drafted tonight's format and the rules agreed to by the campaigns. the 90-minute debate is divided into six segments. each 15 minutes long. we'll explore three topic areas tonight, achieving prosperity, america's direction, and securing america. at the start of he' segment i will ask the same leadoff question to both candidates and each has up to two minutes to respond. from that point until the end of the segment we'll have an open discussion. the questions are mine, and have not been shared with the commission or the campaigns. the audience here in the room has agreed to remain silent so that we can focus on what the candidates are saying. i will invite you to applaud, however, at this moment as we welcome the candidates. democratic nominee for president of the united states, hillary
6:05 pm
states, donald j. trump. [ cheers and applause ] >> how are ya, donald? >> good luck to you. >> thank you. [ applause ] well, i don't expect us to kov 0er all the issues of this campaign tonight but remind everyone there are two more presidential debates scheduled. we are going to focus on many of the issues that voters tell us are most important, and we're going to press for specifics. i am honored to have this role but this evening belongs to the candidates, and just as important to the american people. candidates, we look forward to hearing you articulate your policies and positions as well as your visions and your values. so let's begin.
6:06 pm
segment achieving prosperity. and central to that is jobs. there are two economic realities in america today. there's been a record six straight years of job growth and new census numbers shows income increased at a record rate after years of stagnation. however, income inequality remains significant and nearly half of americans are living paycheck to paycheck. beginning with you, secretary of state clinton, why are you a better choice than your opponent to create the kinds of j will put more money into the pockets of american workers? >> well, thank you, lester and thanks to hofstra for hosting us. the central question in this election is really, what kind of country we want to be and what kind of future we'll build together. today is my granddaughter's second birthday. so i think about this a lot. first, we have to build an economy that works for everyone, not just those at the top. that means we need new jobs,
6:07 pm
i want us to invest in you. i want us to invest in your future. that means jobs in infrastructure, and advanced manufacturing. innovation and technology, clean renewable energy, and small business, because most of the new jobs will come from small business. we also have to make the economy fairer. that starts with raising the national minimum wage, and, also, guarantees, finally, equal pay for women's work. i also want to see m companies do profit sharing. if you help create the profits, you should be able to share in them, not just the executives at the top. and i want us to do more to support people who are struggling to balance family and work. i've heard from so man of you about the difficult choices you face and the stresses that you're under. so let's have paid family leave, earned sick days, let's be sure we have affordable child care and debt-free college.
6:08 pm
by having the wealthy pay they're fair share and close the corporate loopholes. finally, we, tonight, are on the stage together, donald trump and i. donald, it's going to be with you. we're going to have a debate where we are talking about the important issues facing our country. you have to judge us. who can shoulder the immense, awesome responsibilities of the presidency. who can put into action the better? i hope that i will be able to earn your vote on november 8th. >> secretary clinton, thank you. mr. trump, the same question to you. it's about putting money, more money into the pockets of american workers. you have up to two minutes. >> thank you, lester. our jobs are fleeing the country. they're going to mexico, they're going to many other countries. you look at what china is doing to our country in terms of making our product, they're devaluing their currency and
6:09 pm
very good fight and we have a winning fight, because they're using our country as a piggy bank to rebuild china and many other countries are doing the same thing. so we're losing our good jobs. so many of them. when you look at what's happening in mexico, a friend of mine who builds plants said it's the eighth wonder of the world, building some of the biggest, best, sophisticated plants. with the united states, as you said, noto so ford is leaving. you see that. their small car division leaving. thousands of jobs leaving michigan, leaving hi hi, they're all leaving and we can't allow it to happen. as far as child care and so many other things, hillary and i agree on that. we probably disagree as far as numbers and amounts and what we're going to do, but perhaps we'll talk about that later, but we have to stop our jobs from
6:10 pm
we have to stop our companies from leaving the united states, and with it firing all of their people. all you have to do is take a look at carrier air conditioning, in indianapolis. they left, fired 1,400 people. they're going to mexico. so many hundreds and hundreds of companies are doing this. we cannot let it happen. under my plan, i will be reducing taxes tremendously, from 35% to 15% for companies. smal that's going to be a job creator like we haven't seen since ronald reagan. it's going to be a beautiful thing to watch. companies will come. they will build. they will expand. new companies will start and i look very, very much forward to doing it. we have to renegotiate or trade deals and stop these countries from stealing our companies and our jobs. >> secretary clinton, would you like to respond? >> well, i think that trade is an important issue, of course,
6:11 pm
population and have to trade with the other 95%, and we need to have smart, fair trade deals. we also, though, need to have a tax system that rewards work and not just financial transactions. and the kind of plan that donald has put forth would be trickle down economics all over again. in fact it would be the most extreme version, the biggest tax cuts for the top percents of the people in this country than we've ever had. i call it down. because that's exactly what it would be. that is not how we grow the economy. we just have a different view about what's best for growing the economy. how we make investments that will actually produce jobs and rising incomes. i think we come at it from somewhat different perspectives. i understand that. you know, donald was very fortunate in his life, and that's all to his benefit. he started his business with $14
6:12 pm
father, and he really believes that the more you help wealthy people, the better off we'll be, and that everything will work out from there. i don't buy that. i have a different experience. my father was a small businessman. he worked really hard. he printed drapery fabrics on long tables where he pulled out those fabrics and went down with a silk screen and dumped the paint in and took the squeegee and kept going. so what i believe is the more we can do for the middle class, the more we can invest in you, your education, your skills, your future, the better we will be off, and the better we'll grow. that's the kind of economy i want us to see again. >> let me follow-up with mr. trump if i can. you talked about creating 25 million jobs and promised to bring back millions of jobs for americans. how are we going to bring back the industries that have left this country for cheaper labor overseas? how specifically are you going to tell american manufacturers that you have to come back? >> well, for one thing, and before we start on that, my
6:13 pm
flown 1975 and i built it in a company worth many, many billions of dollars worth some of the greatest assets in the world. i say that, because that's the kind of thinking our country need. we're in deep trouble. we don't know what we're doing when it comes to devaluations. especially china, they're the best ever at it. what they're doing to us is a very, very sad thing. so we have to do that. we have to renegotiate our trade deals, and, lester, they're ta incentives, doing things frankly we don't do. let me give you the example of mexico they have a vat tax, on a different system. when we sell into mexico there's a tax. when they sell in, automatic 16% approximately. when they sell into us, there's no tax. it's a defective agreement. it's been defective for a long time. many years. but the politicians haven't done anything about it. in all fairness to secretary
6:14 pm
good. i want you to be very happy. it's very important to me. but in all fairness to secretary clinton, when she started talking about this, it was really very recently. she's been doing this for 30 years, and why hasn't she made the agreements better? the nafta agreement is defective, just because of the tax and many other reasons but just because of the tax -- >> let me interrupt you a second. >> secretary clinton and others politicians should have this for years. not just because we've create add movement. what's happened to our jobs, our country and economy generally is -- look, we owe $20 trillion. we cannot do it any longer, lester. >> back to the question, though, how do you bring back, specifically bring back jobs? american manufacturers, how do you make them bring the jobs back? >> first thing, don't let the jobs leave. the companies are leaving. i could name -- i mean, there are thousands of them. they're leaving and they're
6:15 pm
ever. and what you do, say, fine. you want to go to mexico, another country, good luck. we wish you a lot of luck. if you think you're going to make your air conditioners cars, cookies whatever you make, and bring them into our country without a tax, you're wrong. and once you say you're going to have to tax them coming in, and our politicians never do this, because they have special interests and the special interests want those companies to leave, because in many cases they own the companies. so what i am saying is, we can stop them we have to stop them from leaving, and that's a big, big factor. >> one second, mrs. clinton. >> stop a second and remember where we were eight years ago. we had the worst financial crisis, great recession, the worst since the 1930s. that was in large part because of tax policies that slashed taxes on the wealthy, failed to invest in the middle class, took their eyes off of wall street,
6:16 pm
in fact, donald was one of the people who rooted for the housing crisis. he said, back in 2006, gee, i hope it does collapse, because, then i can go in and buy some and make some money. well it did collapse. >> that's called, business, by the way. >> 9 million people -- 9 million people lost their jobs. 5 million people lost their homes and $13 trillion in family wealth was wiped out. now, we have come back from that so we're now on the precipice of having a potentially much better economy, but the last thing we need to do is to go back to the policies that failed us in the first place. independent experts have looked at what i've proposed and looked at what donald's proposed, and basically they've said this -- that if his tax plan, which would blow up the debt by over
6:17 pm
instances disadvantage middle class families compared to the wealthy, were to go into effect, we would lose 3.5 million jobs, and maybe have another recession. they've looked at my plans and they've said, okay. if we can do this, and i intend to get it done, we will have 10 million more new jobs. because we will be making investments where we can grow the economy. take clean energy. some country is going to be the clean energy pe 21st century. donald thinks that climate change is a hoax, perpetrated by the chinese. i think it's real. >> i did not -- i do not say that. >> and i think it's important that we. >> i do not say that. >> -- it's important to grip this and deal with it both at home and abroad. we can deemployee half a billion more solar panels. have enough clean energy to power every home, build a new electric grid.
6:18 pm
economic activity. i've tried to be very specific about what we can and should do, and i am determined we're going to get the economy really moving again. building on the progress we've made over the last eight years but never going back to what got us in trouble in the first place. >> mr. trump? >> she talks about solar panels. we invested in a solar company, our country. that was a disaster. they lost plenty of money on that one. now, look, i'm a great believer in all forms of energy. but we're putting a lot of people out of rk policies are a disaster. our country is losing so much in terms of energy, in terms of paying off our debt. you can't do what you're looking to do with $20 trillion in debt. the obama administration from the time they've come in is over 230 years worth of debt, and he's topped it. he's doubled it in a course of
6:19 pm
be semiexact. i'll tell you this, we have to do a better job at keeping our jobs and incentives to get new economies to expand. they're not doing it. look at michigan, look at ohio and all of these places where so many of their, of their jobs and their companies are just leaving. they're gone. and hillary i would just ask you this -- you've been doing this for 30 years. why are you just thinking about these sol for 30 yearsou've been doing it, and now you're just starting to think of solutions. >> well, actually that's -- >> excuse me. i will bring back jobs. you can't bring back jobs. >> actually, i have thought about this quite a bit. >> yeah, for 30 years. >> and i have -- well, not quite that long. i think my husband did a pretty good sglob the 1990s. i think a lot about what worked and how we can work it again.
6:20 pm
the single worst trade deal in this country. >> manufacturing jobs went up in the 1990s if we actually look at the facts. when i was in the senate i had a number of trade deals that came before me and i held them all to the same test. will they create jobs in america? will they raise incomes in america? and are they good for our national security? some of them i voted for. the biggest once, a multi-national one known at cafta, i voted against, and because i hold the same standards as i look a these trade deals, but let's not assume that trade is the only challenge we have in the economy. i think it is a part of it, and i've said what i'm going to do. i'm going to have a special prosecutor. we're going to enforce the trade deals we have, and we're going to hold people accountable. when i was secretary of state, we actually increased american exports globally 30%. we increased them to china 50%.
6:21 pm
get new jobs and to get exports that help to create more new jobs. >> you haven't done it in 30 years or 26 years, any number you -- >> i've been a senator and i have been a secretary of state. >> excuse me. your husband signed nafta, one of the worst things that ever happened. >> that's your opinion. that is your opinion. >> you go to new england, ohio, pennsylvania, you go anywhere you want, secretary clinton, and you will see devastation, where manufacturer is sometimes 50%. nafta is the worst trade deal maybe ever signed everywhere certainly ever signed in this country and now you want to approve trans-pacific partnership. totally in favor of it, heard what i was saying, how bad it is, can't win that debate, but you know if you did win you would approve that, and that will be almost as bad as nafta. nothing will ever top nafta. >> that is just not accurate. i was against it once it was
6:22 pm
terms were laid out. i wrote about that in -- >> you called it the gold standard. you called it the gold standard of trade deals. you said it's the finest deal you've ever seen. >> no. >> and then you heard what i sead about it, all of a sudden you were against it. >> donald, i know you live in your own reality but that is not the fact. the facts are i hoped it would be a good deal, but when negotiated whichy a was not responsible for, i concluded it wasn't. i wrote about that. >> so is it president obama's fault? is >> -- before you even announced. >> secretary, is it president obama's fault? >> there are different -- >> because he's pushing it. >> there are different views about what's good for our country, our economy, and our leadership in the world. and i think it's important to look at what we need to do to get the economy going again. that's why i said, new jobs with rising incomes, investments. not in more tax cuts that would add $5 trillion to the debt. >> but you have no plan.
6:23 pm
>> i have written a book about it called "stronger together" pick it tomorrow at the book store. >> that's al all you did. >> we're going to move to -- >> it's because i see this, we need to have strong growth, fair growth, sustained growth. we also have to look at how we help families balance the responsibilities at home and the responsibilities at business. so we have a very robust set of plans and people have looked at both of our plans, have concluded that mine would create 10 million jobs and yours would lose us 3.5 million jobs and -- >> you are going to approve one of the biggest tax cuts in history. you are going to approve one of the biggest tax increases in history. you are going to drive business out. your regulations are a disaster and you're going to increase regulations all over the place. by the way, my tax cut is the biggest since ronald reagan. i'm very proud of it. it will create tremendous
6:24 pm
regulations, you are going to regulate these businesses out of existence. when i go around, lester, i tell you this. i've been all over, and when i go around, despite the tax cut, the things that businesses and people like the most is the fact that i'm cutting regulation. you have regulations on top of regulations, and new companies cannot form and old companies are going out of business, and you want to increase the regulations and make them even worse. i'm going to cut re league and you're going to raise taxes big league, end of story. >> let me get you to pause there. we're going to move into the next segment. >> that can't be left to stand. >> 30 seconds and then we're going og. >> i assumed there will be a lot of charges and claims, facts. >> sand so we have chaikin the home page of my website, hillary clinton.com and turned it into a fact checker.
6:25 pm
and take a look, because -- >> and take a look at mine also and you'll see. >> we have not added a penny to the debt and your plan wos add $5 trillion to the debt. what i have prosed would cut regulations and streamline them for small businesses. what i have proposed would be paid for by raising taxes on the wealthy, because they have made all the gains in the economy, and i think it's time that the we their fair share to support this country. >> you just opened the next segment. >> can i finish? i thish i should -- go to our website and look at her website. she's going to raise taxes, $1.3 trillion. >> mr. trump -- >> look at her website. it's no different than this. she's telling us how to fight isis. just go to her website. tells you how to fight isis on her website. i don't think general douglas macarthur would like that too much. the next segment. >> at least i have a plan to
6:26 pm
you're telling the enemy everything you want to do. >> no, we're not. >> see, you're telling the enemy everything you want to do -- >> folks -- >> no wonder you've been fighting isis your entire adult life. >> folks -- >> that's a -- go to the -- please, the fact checkers. get to work. >> you are unpacking a lot and still on the issue of achieving prosperity and i want to talk about taxes. the fundamental difference between the two of you, concerns the wealthy. secretary clinton, your calling for a tax increase in the wealthiest americans. that and mr. trump, calling for tax cuts for the wealthy. i'd like you to defend that, and this next two-minute answer goes to you, mr. trump. >> i'm really calling for major jobs, because the wealthy are going to create tremendous jobs. they're going to expand their companies, they're going to do a tremendous job. i'm getting rid of the carried interest provision. if you really look, it's really not a great thing for the wealthy. it's a great thing for the middle class. it's a great thing for companies to expand. and when these people are going
6:27 pm
dollars into companies, and when they're going to bringses 2.5 trillion back from overseas where they can't bring the money back, because politicians like secretary clinton won't allow them to bring the money back, because the taxes are so onerous and the dur creak red tape. so what is so bad -- what they're doing is leaving our country and they're, believe it or not, leaving because taxes are too high and some of them have lots of money outside of our country and instead of bringing it back and put money to work because they can't work out a deal, and everybody agrees it should be brought back, instead of that they're leaving our country to get their money. because they can't bring their money back into our country, because of bureaucratic red tape, because they can't get together, because we have a president that can't sit them around a table and get them to approve something, and here's the thing. republicans and democrats agree that this should be done. $2.5 trillion. i happen to think it's double
6:28 pm
we can't bring into our country, lester, and with a little leadership, you'd get it in here very quickly, and it could be put to use on the inner cities and lots of other things, and it would be beautiful. but we have no leadership. and honestly, that starts with secretary clinton. >> all right. two minutes on the same question to defend tax increases on the wealthiest americans, secretary clinton. >> i have a feeling by the end of this evening i'm going to be blamed for everything that's ever happened. >> why not? why not. just -- just join the debate by saying more crazy things. now, let me say -- >> there's nothing crazy -- >> it s. about not letting our companies bring their money back into their country. >> this is secretary clinton's two minutes. please. >> yes. >> well, let's start the clock again, lester. we've looked at your tax proposals. i don't see changes in the corporate tax rates, or the kinds of proposals you're
6:29 pm
repatriation, bringing back of money that's stranded overseas. i happen ta support that then you didn't read. >> they i happen to support that in a way that will actually work to our benefit, but when i look at what you have proposed, you have what is called now the trump loophole, because it would so advantage you, and the business you do. you've proposed -- >> who gave it that name? first -- >> excuse me, this is secretary >> tax benefits for your family, and when you look -- >> how much for my family? lester, mouch? >> as i said, trumped up, trickle down. trickle down did not work. it got us into the mess we were in in 2008 and '09. slashing taxes on the wealthy hasn't worked, and a lot of really smart, wealthy people know that. and they are saying, hey, we need to do more to make the contributions we should be
6:30 pm
class. i don't think top-down works in america. i think building the middle class investing in the middle class, making college debt-free so more young people can get they are education. helping people refinance their -- their debt from college at a lower rate. those are the kinds of things that will really boost the economy. broad based inclusive growth is what we need in america. not more advantages for people at the very top. >> mr. all talk, no action. sounds good. doesn't work. never going to happen. our country is suffering, because people like secretary clinton have made such bad decisions in terms of our jobs and in terms of what's going on. now, look, we have the worst revival of an economy since the great depression. and believe me, we're in a bubble right now. and the only thing that looks good is the stock market, but if
6:31 pm
little bit that's going to come crashing down. we are in a big, fat, ugly bubble. and we better be awfully careful, and we have a fed that's doing political things. this janet yellen of the fed. the fed is doing political, by keeping the interest rates at this level, and believe me, the day obama goes off and he leaves and goes out to the golf course for the rest of his life to play golf, when they raise interest rates, you're going to see some very bad things happen, because the fed is not doing their job. th than secretary clinton. >> mr. trump, we're talking about the burden that americans have to pay yet you have not released your tax returns, and the reason nominees have released their returns for decades, is that voters will know if they're potential president owes money to, who he owes it to, and any business conflicts. don't americans have a right to know if there are any conflicts of interest? >> i don't mind releasing. i'm under a routine audit and it
6:32 pm
the audit's finished it will be released but you will learn more about donald trump by going down to the federal elections where i filed a 104-page, essentially financial statement of sorts, the forms that they have. it shows income. in fact, the income, i just looked today. the income is filed at $694 million for this past year. $694 million. if you would have told me i would make that 15 or 20 ago i would have been very surprised. that's the thinking our country needs. when we have a country doing so baldly, ripped off by every single country in the world, it's the kind of thinking that our country needs, because everybody, lester, we have a trade deficit with all of the countries that we do business with of almost $800 billion a year. you know what that is? that means who's negotiating these trade deals? we have people that are political hacks negotiating our
6:33 pm
>> the irs says an audit of your taxes -- you're perfectly free to release your taxes during an audit. the question, does the public have a right to know outweigh your personal -- >> i told you. i will release them as soon as it's audit, look, i've been under audit almost 15 years. i know a lot of wealthy people never audited. do you get audited? i get audited every year. in a way i should be complaining. i don't mind it. almost a way of i get audited by the irs. other people don't. i will say this. we have a situation in this country that has to be taken care of. i will release my tax returns against my lawyers' wishes when she releases her 33,000 e-mails that have been deleted. as soon as she releases them, i will release -- i will release my tax returns and that's against my lawyers, they say, don't do it. i will tell you this.
6:34 pm
the papers, almost every lawyer says, you don't release your returns until the audit's complete. when the audit's complete i will do it, but i would go against them if she released her e-mails. >> so it's negotiable? >> no, the nots negotiable. when she releases -- >> we askedal you to be silent. it would be helpful for us, secretary clinton? >> you've just seen another example of bait and switch here. for president has released their tax returns. you can go and see nearly i think 30, 40 years of our tax returns but everyone has done it. we know the irs has made clear there is no prohibition on releaing it when under audit. you've got to ask yourself, why won't he release his tax returns? and i think there may be a couple of reasons. first, maybe he's not as rich as he says he is. second, maybe he's not as
6:35 pm
third, we don't know all of his business dealings, but we have been told through investigative reporting that he owes about $650 million to wall street and foreign banks. or maybe he doesn't want the american people all of you watching tonight to know that he's paid nothing in federal taxes, because the only a years that anybody's ever seen were a couple of years when he had to turn them over to state to get a casino license and they showed he didn't pay any federal income tax. >> that makes me smart. >> if he paid zero, that means zero for troops, zero for vets. zero for schools or health, and i think probably he's not all that enthusiastic about having the rest of our country see what the real reasons are, because it must be something really important, even terrible, that he's trying to hide.
6:36 pm
statement, they don't give you the tax rate. they don't give you all the details that tax returns would, and it just seems to me that this is something that the american people deserve to see, and i have no reason to believe that he's ever going to release his tax returns, because there's something he's hiding, and we'll guess, keep guessing as what it might be that he's hiding, but i think the question is, were he ever to get near the house, what would be those conflicts? who does he owe money to? well, he owes you the answers to that and he should provide them. >> he also raised the issue of your e-mails. do you want to respond to that? >> i do. you know, i made a mistake using a private e-mail. >> that's for sure. >> and if i had to do it over again i would obviously do it differently. but i'm not going to make excuses. it was a mistake and i take responsibility for that.
6:37 pm
>> that was more than a mistake. that was done purposely. okay? that was moss a mistake. that was done purposely. when you have your staff taking the fifth amendment, taking the fifth, so they're not prosecuted, when you have the man that set up the illegal server taking the fifth, i think it's disgraceful and believe me, this country thinks it's disgrace -- really thinks it's disgraceful also. as far as my tax returns you don't learn that much from tax returns. that i can tell you. you learn a lot from financial disclosure and you should go down and take a look at that. the other thing, i'm extremely underleveraged. the report that said $650, which by the way a lot of friends of mine that know my business said, boy, that's really not a lot of money. it's not a lot of money relative to what i had. the buildings in question they said in the same report, which was actually not even a bad story but the buildings worth
6:38 pm
it's muff less than that, but i could give you a list of banks. if that helps you. i would give you a list of banks, fine institutions, fine banks i could do that quickly. i am very underleveraged, from a great company, a tremendous income. the reason i say that is not in a braggadocious way, it's because it's about time that this country had somebody running it that has an idea about money. when we hav debt and our country's a mess. one thing to have $s 20 trillion in debt, our roads are good, airports, they're like from a third world country. you loond add laguardia, kennedy, l.a.x., newark, and come in from dubai, qatar and see incredible -- from china, you see incredible airports, and you land, we have become a third world country. so the worst of all things this
6:39 pm
mess. we haven't even started. and we've spent $6 trillion in the middle east, according to a report that i just saw. whether it's $6 trillion or $5 trillion. it looks like it's $6 trillion. in the middle east we could have rebuilt our country twice. and the politicians like secretary clinton that have caused this problem. our country has tremendous problems. we're a debtor nation, we're a serious debtor nation, and we have a country that needs n roads, new tunnels, new bridges, new airports, new schools, new hospitals. and we don't have the money, because it's been squandered on so many of your ideas. >> and maybe because you haven't paid any federal income tax for a lot of years, and -- the other thing i think is important -- >> it could be squandered, too. believe me. >> if your main claim to be president of the united states is your business, then i think we should talk about that.
6:40 pm
said that you built a lot of businesses on the backs of little guys. and, indeed, i have met a lot of the people who were stiffed by you and your businesses, donald. i have met dishwashers, painters, architects, glass installers, marble installers, drapery installers like my dad was, who you refused to pay when they finishes the work that you asked them to do. we have audience who designed one of your clubhouses at one of your golf courses. it's a beautiful facility. it immediately was put to use, and you wouldn't pay what the man needed to be paid what he was charging you -- >> maybe he didn't do a good job and i was unsatisfied with his work? which our country should do, too. >> for the thousands of people that you have stiffed over the course of your business, not, do
6:41 pm
apology from someone who has taken their labor, taken the goods that they've produced and then refused to pay them? i can only say that i'm certainly relieved that my late father never did business with you. he provided a good middle class life for us, but the people he worked for, he expected the bargain to be kept on both sides. and when we talk about your business, you've taken business bankruptcy six times. there are a lotf business people that have never taken bankruptcy once. you call yourself the king of debt. you talk about leverage. you even at one time suggested that you had tried to negotiate down the -- >> wrong. >> national debt of the united states. >> wrong. >> well, sometimes there's not a direct transfer of skills from business to government, but sometimes what happened in business would be really bad for government. >> mr. trump --
6:42 pm
it's time. >> we want to be very clear about that. >> look, it's all words and sound bites. i built an unbelievable company. some of the greatest assets anywhere in the world, real estate assets anywhere in the world beyond the united states. in europe, lots of different places. it's an unbelievable company. but on occasion, four times, we used certain laws that are there, and when secretary clinton talks about people that didn't get paid, first of they did get paid a lot, but taking advantage of the laws of the nation. if you want to change the laws, you've been there a long time, change the laws, but i take advantage of the laws of the nation. i'm running a company. my obligation now, do well for myself, my family, my companies, and that's what i do. what she doesn't say is the tens of thousands of people that are unbelievably happy and that love
6:43 pm
we're just opening up on pennsylvania avenue right next to the white house. so if i don't get there one way, i'm going to get to pennsylvania avenue another. but we're opening the old post office. under budget, ahead of schedule. saved tremendous money. i'm a year ahead of schedule. and that's what this country should be doing. we build roads and they cost two and three and four times what they're supposed to court. we buy products to our military and they above what they were supposed to be, because we don't have people that know what they're doing. when we look at the budget, the budget is bad to a large extent because we have people that have no idea as to what to do and how to buy. the trump international is way underbudget and way ahead of schedule, and we should be able to do that for our country. >> well, we're well behind schedule. i want to move to our next segment. we move into our next segment talking about america's
6:44 pm
race. the share of americans who say race relations are bad in this country is the highest its been in decades. much of it plamp phied by shootings of african-americans by police as we've seen recently in charlotte and tulsa. race has been a big issue in this campaign and one of you is going to have to bridge a very wide and bitter gap. how do you heal the divide? secretary clinton, two minutes on this. >> you're right. race remains aig challenge in our country. unfortunately race still determines too much. often determines where people live, determines what kind of education in their public schools they can get, and, yes, it determines how they're treated in the criminal justice system. we have just seen those two tragic examples in both tulsa and charlotte. and we've got to do several things at the same time.
6:45 pm
communities and the police. we have to work to make sure that our police are using the best training, the best techniques, that they are well prepared to use force only when necessary. everyone should be respected by the law, and everyone should respect the law. right now that's not the case in a lot of our neighborhoods. so i have, ever since the first day of my campaign, called for criminal justice reform. i've laid out a platform that i think would begin to remedy some of the problems we have in the criminal justice system. but we also have to recognize in addition to the challenges that we face with policing, there are so many good, brave police officers who equally want reform. so we have to bring communities together in order to begin
6:46 pm
goal. and we've got to get guns out of the hands of people who should not have them the gun epidemic is the leading cause of death of young african-american men. more than the next nine causes put together. so we have to do two things, as i said. we have to restore trust. we have to work with the police. we have to make sure they respect the communities, and the communities respect them, and we have to tackle the plague of gun violence, which is a big contributor to a lot of the today. >> all right. mr. trump, two minutes, how do you heal the divide? >> first of all, secretary clinton doesn't want to use a couple of words. and that's law and order. and we need law and order. if we don't have it, we're not going to have a country. and when i look at what's going on in charlotte, a city i love, a city i have investments, when i look what's going on throughout various parts of our country, whether it's -- i mean,
6:47 pm
we need law and order in our country. and i just got today the, as you know, the endorsement of the fra fraternal order of police just came in's we have endorsements i think from i think every police group a large percentage of them in the united states. we have a situation where we have our inner cities, african-american, hispanics, are living in hell, because it's so dangerous. you walk down the street, you get shot. in chicago, they've had thousands of shootings, thousands, since january 1st. thousands of shootings. and i say, where is this? is this a war-torn country jt what are we doing? we have to stop the violence, we have to bring back law and order. in place like chicago where thousands of people have been killed.
6:48 pm
of years. in fact, almost 4,000 since president obama became president. almost 4,000 people in chicago have been killed. we have to bring back law and order. now, whether or not in a place like chicago you do stop and frisk, which worked very well, mayor giuliani is here, worked very well in new york. it brought the crime rate way down, but you take the gun way from criminals that shouldn't be having it. we have gangs roaming the street. in many cases they're illegally here. have guns and they shoot people and we have to be very strong and we have to be very vigilant. we have to know what we're doing. right now our police in many cases are afraid to do anything. we have to protect our inner cities, because african-american xmunlts are being decimated -- >> you're two minutes expired but i want to follow-up stop and frink ruled unconstitutional in new york, because it largely
6:49 pm
young men -- >> no. you're wrong. it went before -- a judge who was a very, against police judge. it was taken away from her, and our mayor, our new mayor, refused to go forward with the case. they would have won on appeal. look at it throughout the country, many places -- >> the argument, it's a form of racial profiling. >> no. the argument we have to take the guns a way from the people that have them and that are bad people that shouldn't have them. these a are bad people that shouldn't be -- when you have 3,000 shootings in chicago, from january 1st, when you have 4,000 people killed, in chicago, by guns, from the beginning of the presidency of barack obama, his hometown, you have to have, stop and frisk. you need more police. you need a better community -- you know, relation. you don't have good community relations in chicago.
6:50 pm
it's terrible what's going on in chicago, but when you look -- and chicago's not the only. go to ferguson, so many different places pup need better relationships. i agree with secretary clinton on this. you need better relationships between the communities and the police, because in some cases it's not good. but you look at dallas, where the relationships were really studied. the relationships are really a beautiful thing, and then five police officers were killed. one night, very so there's some bad things going on. some really bad things. >> secretary clinton -- >> lester, we need law and order and we need law and order in the inner cities, because the people that are most affected by what's happening are african-american and hispanic people, and it's very unfair to them what our politicians are allowing to happen. >> secretary clinton? >> well, i've heard donald say
6:51 pm
really unfortunate that he paid such a dire negative picture of black communities in our country. the vibrancy of the black church, the black businesses that employ so many people. the opportunities that so many families are working to provide for their kids. there's a lot that we should be proud of, and we should be supporting and lifting up. but we do, always, have toak sure we keep people safe. there are the right ways of doing it, and then there are ways that are ineffective. stop and frisk was found to be unconstitutional. and in part because it was ineffective. it did not do what it needed to do. now, i believe in community policing. and, in fact, violent crime is one-half of what it was in 1991. property crime is down 40%. we just don't want to see it
6:52 pm
we've had 25 years of very good cooperation, but there were some problems, some unintended consequences. too many young african-american american and latino men ended up in jail for non-violent offenses, and it's just a fact that if you're a young african-american man, and do you the same thing as a young white man, you are more likely to be arrested, charged, convicted and incarcerated. so we've got to address the systemic racism in our criminal justice system. we cannot just say law and order. we have to say -- we have to come forward with a plan that is going to divert people from the criminal just is system, deal with mandatory minimum sentences which have put too many people away for too long for doing too little. we need to have more second-chance programs.
6:53 pm
private prisons in the federal system. i want to see them ended in the state system. you shouldn't have a profit motivation to fill prison cells with young americans. so there are some positive ways we can work on this, and i believe strongly that common sense gun safety measures would assist us. right now, and this is something donald has supported, along with the gun lobby, right now we've got too many military-style of places our police are outgunned. we need comprehensive background checks. and we need to keep guns out of the hands of those who will do harm, and we finally need to pass a prohibition on anyone who's on the terrorist watch list from being able to buy a gun in our country. if you're too dangerous to fly, you are too dangerous to buy a gun. there are things we can do and we ought to do it in a bipartisan wanchts secretary
6:54 pm
got to do everything possible to improve policing and go right at implicit bias. do you believe police are implicitly biased against black people? >> i think it's a problem for everyone. not just police. i think unfortunately too many of us in our great country jump to conclusions about each other. and, therefore, i think we need all of us to be asking hard questions about, you know, why am i feeling this way? but when it comes to policing, since it can have literally fatal consequences, i have said in my first budget, we would put money into that budget to help us deal with implicit bias by retraining a lot of our police officers. i've met with a group of very distinguished, experienced police chiefs a few weeks ago. they admit it's an issue and have a lot of concerns. mental health is one of the big effort concerns because now police are having to handle a
6:55 pm
health problems on the street. they want support. they want more training. they want more assistance, and i think the federal government could be in a position where we would offer and provide that. >> mrs. clinton -- >> i would like to respond to that. >> please. >> first of all, i agree and a lot of people even within my own party want to give certain rights to people on watch lists and no fly lists. i agree. when a person is on a watch list or a no fly list and i have the proud of and very, very good people, protecting the second amendment. we have to look strongly at no fly lists, and even if on there, help them legally get off, i tend to agree with that quite strongly. i do want to bring up the fact that you were the one that brought up the word super predator about young, black youth. a term that i think was a --
6:56 pm
know, i think you've apologized for it, but i think it was a terrible thing to say, and when it comes to stop and frisk, you're talking about taking guns away. well, i'm talking about taking guns away from gangs and people that use them and i really don't think you disagree with me on this, if you want to know the trauth. i think maybe there's a political reason you can't say it, but i really don't believe -- in new york city, stop and frisk, we had 2,200 murders and stop and frisk brought it down 2459 a lot of murders. hard to believe. 500 is supposed to be good? from 2,500s to 500, taken on by the mayor and stop and frisk stopped bite mayor. beyond belief tremendous. it has not impact? it really did have a very big impact. >> fair to say if we're going to talk about mayors that under the
6:57 pm
continued to drop including murders. >> you're wrong. >> no, i'm not. >> murders are up. all right. you check>> it new york has -- >> you'll check t. new york, has done an excellent job. i give credit across the board going back two mayors, two police chiefs, because it has worked and other communities need to come together to do what will work as well. look, one murder is too many, but it is -- >> true. >> -- important that we learn about what that been and not go to things that sound good that aren't did not have the kind of impact that we would want. who disagrees with keeping neighborhoods safe? but let's also add, no one should disagree about respecting the rights of young men who live in those neighborhoods. and so we need to do a better job of working, again, with the communities, faith communities,
6:58 pm
the police to try to deal with this problem. >> this conversation is about race. mr. trump i have to ask you -- >> i'd like to respond if i might. >> 20 seconds, please respond and i have a follow-up for you. >> the african-american community has been let down by the politicians. they talk good around election time, like right now and after the election, see ya later. see new four years. the african-american community -- look, the community within the inner cities has been so b they've been abused and used in order to get votes by democrat politicians, because that's what it is. they've controlled these communities for up to 100 years. >> mr. trump -- >> and it's broken. i will tell you -- you look at the inner cities. i just left detroit and i just left philadelphia and you know you've seen me. i've been all over the place. you decided to stay home, and that's okay. but i will tell you -- i've been all over and met some of the
6:59 pm
within these communities and they are very, very upset with what their politicians have told them and what their politicians have done. >> mr. trump -- >> i think that -- i think donald just criticized me for preparing for this debate. and, yes, i did. and you know what else i prepared for? i prepared to be president, and i think that's a good thing. >> mr. trump, for five years you perpetuated a false claim of the nation's fst was not a natural born citizen, questioned his legitimacy. the last couple of weeks you acknowledged what meft americans accepted for years the president was born in the united states. can you tell us what took you so long? >> well, just a very simple to say -- sydney blumenthal works for the campaign, and very close friend of secretary clinton. and her campaign manager patti
7:00 pm
campaign, her campaign against president obama, fought very hard and you can go look it up and you can check it out and if you look at cnn this past week, patti solis doyle was on "wolf blitzer" saying that this happened. blumenthal sent mcclatchy, highly respected reporter at mcclampy, to kenya to find out about it. they were pressing it very hard. she failed to get the birth certificate. when i got involved i didn't fail. i got him to give the birth certificate. so i'm satisfied with it, and i'll tell you why -- >> that was in 2011. >> i want to get on to defeating isis, to creating jobs, because i want to get on to having a strong border, because i want to get on to things that are very important to me, and that are very important to the country. >> i will let you respond. it's important. i just want to get the answer here. the birth certificate was produced in 2011. you continued to tell the story
7:01 pm
legitimacy in 2012, '13, '14, '15, as recently as january. the question is, what changed your mind? >> nobody was pressing it, caring much about it, i figured you'd ask the question tonight of course. nobody was caring much about it, but i was the one that got him to produce the birth certificate, and i think i did a good job. secretary clinton also fought it. i mean, you know -- now everybody in main stream will say, ooh, that's not true. look, it's true. sydney blumenthal sent the reporter. you just have to look at cnn, last week, interview with your former campaign manager, and she was involved, but just like she can't bring back jobs, she can't produce. >> i'm sorry. follow-up and i'll let you respond. a lot there. we're talking about racial healing in this segment. what do you say to americans -- >> well, it -- i say nothing because i was able to get them to produce it. should have produced it a long time before. i say nothing.
7:02 pm
think that i've developed very, very good relationships over the last, little while, with the african-american community. i think you can see that. and i feel that they really wanted me to come to that conclusion, and i think i did a great job and a great service not only for the country but even for the president in getting him to produce his birth certificate. >> secretary clinton? >> well, just listen to what you heard. and -- clearly as donald just admitted, he knew he would stand on this debate stage and lester holt would be asking us questions and he tried to put the whole racist birther lie to bed. but it can't be dismissed that easily. he has really started his political activity based on this racist lie that our first black president was not an american
7:03 pm
there was absolutely no evidence for it. but he persisted. he persisted year after year, because some of his supporters, people that he was trying to bring into his fold, apparently believed it or wanted to believe it. but remember, donald started his career back in 1973 being sued by the justice department for racial discrimination. because he apartments in one of his developments to african-americans, and he made sure that the people who worked for him understood that was the policy. he actually was sued twice by the justice department. so he has a long record of engaging in racist behavior. and the birther lie was a very hurtful one. you know, barack obama is a man
7:04 pm
tell how much it bothered him and annoyed him that this was being touted and used against him, but i like to remember what michelle obama said in her amazing speech at our democratic national convention. when they go low, go high. and barack obama went high, despite donald trump's best efforts to bring him down. >> mr. trump, you can respond and we're going to move on. >> i would lov first of all i got to watch in preparing for this some of your debates against barack obama. you treated him with terrible disrespect and i watch the way you talk now how lovely everything is and how wonderful you are. doesn't work that way. you were after him, you were trying to, even sent out or your campaign sent out pictures of him in a certain garb, very famous pictures. i don't think you can deny that, but just last week your campaign manager said it was true.
7:05 pm
than thou, it really doesn't work. it really doesn't. now, as far as the lawsuit, yes, when i was very young i went into my father's company, a real estate company in brooklyn and queens and we along with many, many other companies throughout the country, a federal lawsuit, were sued. we settled the suit with zero, with no, admission of guilt. it was very easy to do. but they sued many people. i notice you bring that up a lot, and i also noticed the very nasty commercials you do on me in so many different ways which maybe i'm trying to save the money, but frankly, i look -- i look at that and i say, isn't that amazing? because i settled that lawsuit with no admission of guilt. but that was lawsuit brought against many real estate firms and it's one of those things. i'll go one step further. in palm beach, florida, tough community. a brilliant community, a wealthy community, probably the wealthiest community there is in
7:06 pm
great credit for it. no discrimination against african-americans, against muslims, against anybody, and it's a tremendously successful club, and i'm so glad i did it, and i have been given great credit for what i did, and i'm very, very proud of it. and that's the way i feel. that is the true way i feel. >> our next segment is called "securing america" 21st century war happening every day in this country. our institutions are under cyber attack and our secrets are being stolen. my question is, who's behind it and how do we fight it? secretary clinton, this answer goes to you. >> well, i think cyber security, cyber warfare, will are one of the big effort challenges facing the next president, because, clearly, we're facing at this point two different kinds of adversaries. there are the independent
7:07 pm
for commercial reasons to try to steal information that they then can use to make money, but increasingly, we are seeing cyber attacks coming from states, organs of states, the most recent and troubling is russia. no doubt russia has used cyber attacks against all kinds of organizations in our country, and i am deeply concerned about this. i know donald is very praise-worthy of vladimir putin, but putin is playing a very tough, long game here, and one of the things he's done is to let loose cyber attackers to hack in to government files, to hack into personal files, hack into the democratic national committee, and we recently have learned that, you know, that this is one of their preferred
7:08 pm
and collect information. we need to make it very clear, whether the russia, china, iran, or anybody else, the united states has much greater capacity, and we are not going to sit idly by and permitted state actor to go after our information, our private sector information or our public sector information. and we are going to have to make it clear that we don't want to use the kinds of tools that we have. we different kind of warfare, but we will defend the citizens of this country, and the russians need to understand that. i think they've been treating it as almost a probing, how far will we go? how much will we do? that's why i was so -- so shocked when donald publicly invited putin to hack into americans. that is just unacceptable. one of the reasons why 50 national security officials who
7:09 pm
information -- administrations. >> two minutes expired. >> have said that donald sun fit to be the commander in chief. it's comments like that that really worry people who understand the threats that we face. >> mr. trump, two minutes in the same question. who's behind it? how do we fight it? >> i do want to say i was just endorsed, more coming next week. over 200 admirals, many of them are here, admirals and generals endorsed me to lead this country. that just happened, and my proud of it. in addition, i was just endorsed by i.c.e., never endorsed anything on immigration. i was just endorsed by i.c.e. 16,500 border patrol agents, recently endorsed. so when secretary clinton talks about this, i'll take the admirals and the generals any day over the political hacks that i see that have led our country so brilliantly over the
7:10 pm
knowledge, because look at the mess we're in. look at the mess we're in. as far at the cyber, agree to parts of what secretary clinton said. we should be better than everybody else and perhaps we're not. i don't believe anybody knows it's russia. she's saying russia, russia, russia. maybe it was. but it could also be china and lots of other people. also could be somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds. okay? you don't know who broke in to dnc. but what did we learn with dnc? we was taken advantage of by your people. by debbie wasserman schultz. look what happened to her, but bernie sanders was taken advantage of. that's what it is. whether that was russia, whether it was china, another country, we don't know, because the truth is, under president obama, we've lost control of things that we used to have control over. we came in with an internet,
7:11 pm
myself would agree very much when you look at what isis is doing with the internet, they're beat us at our own game. isis. so we have to get very, very tough on cyber and cyber warfare. it is a huge problem. i have a son, he's 10 years old. he has computers. he is so good with these computers. it's unbelievable. the security aspect of cyber is very, very tough, and maybe it's -- it's hardly doable. but i will say, the job we should be doing, but that's true throughout our whole governmental society. we have so many things that we have to do better, lester, and certainly cyber is one of them. >> secretary clinton? >> i think there are a number of issues that we should be addressing. i have put forth a plan to defeat isis. it does involve going after them online. i think we need to do much more with our tech companies to
7:12 pm
operatives from being able to use the internet to radicalize even direct people in our country and europe and elsewhere, but we also have to intensify our air strikes against isis, and eventually support our arab and kurdish partners to be able to actually take out isis in raqqah and they're claim of being a caliphate. we're making progress. and we're hoping that within the year we'll be able to push isis out of iraq, and then, you know, really squeeze them in syria. but we have to be cognizant of the fact that they've had foreign fighters coming to volunteer for them, foreign money, foreign weapons. so we have to make this the top priority, and i would also do everything possible to take out their leadership.
7:13 pm
efforts to take out al qaeda leadership when i was secretary of state, including, of course, taking out bin laden, and i think we need to go after baghdadi as well. make that one of our organizing principles, because we've got to defeat isis, and we've got to do everything we can to disrupt their propaganda efforts online. >> you mention isis and we think of isis certainly as over there, but there are american citizens who have been inspired to commit acts of terror on american soil. the latest the bombings we just saw in new york and new jersey, the knife attack at a mall in minnesota and the last year deadly attacks in san bernardino and orlando. i'll ask this to both of you. tell us specifically how you would prevent home-grown attacks by american citizens? mr. trump? >> first i have to say one thing. very important. secretary clinton is talking about taking out isis. we will take out isis. well, president obama and
7:14 pm
iraq. because they got out, shouldn't have been in, once they got in, the way they got out was a disaster. and isis was formed. she talks about taking them out. doing it a long time. trying to take them out for a long time. but they wouldn't have even been formed if they left some troops behind. like -- 10,000 or maybe something more than that. and then you wouldn't have had them. or as i've been saying for a long time and i think you'll agree because i said it to you once. had we taken the oil and we should have taken the oil, isis would not have been able to form either, because the oil was their primary source of income. and now they have the oil all over the place including the oil a lot of the oil in libya, which was another one of her disasters. >> secretary clinton? >> well, i hope the fact checkers are turned up, turning up the volume and really working hard. donald supported the invasion of
7:15 pm
>> overand over again. he advocated for the actions we took in libya and urged gadhafi be taken out actually after doing business with him one point. but the larger point. he says this constantly is, george w. bush made the agreement about when american troops would leave iraq. not barack obama. and the only way that american troops could have stayed in iraq then iraqi government that would have protected our troops, and the iraqi government would not give that. but let's talk about the question you asked, lester. the question you asked is, what do we do here in the united states? that's the most important part of this. how do we prevent attacks? how do we protect our people? and i think we've got to have an intelligent surge where we are looking for every scrap of information.
7:16 pm
enforcement in new york, in minnesota, in new jersey. he responded so quickly and professionally to the attacks that occurred by rahami and they brought him down, and we may still find out more information because he is still alive, may prove to be an intelligence benefit. so we've got to do everything we can do vacuum up intelligence from the middle east, from europe, ande losly with our allies, and that's something donald has been very dismissive of. we're working with nato, the longest military alines in the history of the world, to really turn our attention to terrorism. we're working with our friends in the middle east. many of which, as you know, are muslim majority nations. donald has consistently insulted muslims abroad, muslims at home, when we need to be cooperating
7:17 pm
american muslim community. they're on the front lines. they can provide information for us we might not get anywhere else. they need to have close working cooperation with law enforcement in these communities, not be alienated and pushed away as some of donald's rhetoric unfortunately has led to. >> mr. trump -- >> i have to respond. >> please, respond. >> the secretary said very strongly about working with. we've been working with them for many years, and we have the greatest mess anyone's ever seen. look at the middle east. it's a total mess. under your direction to a large extent. but you look at the middle east. you started the iran deal. that's another beauty where you have a country that was ready to fall. i mean, doing so badly. they were choking on the sanctions and now are going to be actually probably a major power at some point pretty soon the way they're going. but when you look at nato, i was asked on a major show what do you think of nato? you have to understand i'm a business person.
7:18 pm
common sense. and i said, well, i'll tell you. i haven't given lots of thought to nato, but two things. number one, the 28 countries of nato, many aren't paying their fair share. number two, that bothers me, because we should be -- wee defending them. they should at least pay us what they're supposed to be paying by treaty and contract. and number two, i said, very strongly, nato could be obsolete. very strong and covered accurately the, unusual for the "new york times," to be honest, but i said they do not focus on terror, and i was very strong, and i said it numerous times, and about four months ago i read on the front page of the "wall street journal" that nato is opening up a major terror division, and i think that's great. and i think we should get, because we pay approximately 73% of the cost of nato. it's a lot of money. to protect other people, but i'm all for nato, but i said they
7:19 pm
and they're going to do that. that was, believe me, not got to get credit, largely because of what i was saying, and my criticism of nato. i think we have to get nato to go into the middle east with us, in addition to surrounding nations and we have to knock the hell out of isis and we have to do it fast. when isis formed in this vacuum created by barack obama and secretary clinton, and, believe me, you were the out the troops. not only that, you named the day. couldn't believe it. >> lester, we've covered this round. >> when they formed, this is something that never should have happened. it should have never happened. you're talking about taking out isis, but you were and there you were secretary of state when it was a little infant. now it's in over 30 countries and you're going to stop them? i don't think so. >> mr. trump, a lot of these are
7:20 pm
iraq before the invasion. what makes -- >> i did not support the war in iraq. >> 2002. >> that is a mainstream media nonsense put out by her, because she frankly i think the best person in her campaign is mainstream media. >> my question is -- since you supported it why is -- >> i was against the war. wait a minute. i was against the war in iraq. just so you put it out. >> the record shows otherwise, but why -- >> the record does not show that. the record shows that i'm right. when i did an interview with howard stern very time anyone's asked me that i said very lightly, i don't know. maybe. who knows. essentially. i then did an interview with neil cavuto talking about the economy is more important. i then spoke to sean hanltty, everybody refuse to call sean hannity. numerous conversations with sean hannity at fox and sean hannity call immediate the other day and i spoke to him about it. he said, you were totally against the war, because he was
7:21 pm
>> excuse me. that was before the war started. sean hannity said, very strongly, to me and other people, he's willing to say it, but nobody wants to call him, i was against the war. he said, you used to have fights with me, because sean was in favor of the war, and i understand that side also. not very much, because we should have never been there, but nobody calls sean hannity. and then they did an article in a major magazine shortly after the war started, i think in '04, but they did an article which had me totally against the war in iraq, and one of your compatriots said, you know, whether it was before or right after, trump was definitely -- you read this article, no doubt. but if somebody, and i'll ask the press, if somebody would call up sean hannity, this was before the war started, he and i used to have arguments about the war. i said it's a terrible and a stupid thing. it's going to destabilize the middle east, and that's exactly why it's done. >> my reference was to what you said in 2002.
7:22 pm
>> you didn't hear what i said. >> why is your judgment different than mrs. clinton? >> i have much better judgment than she has, also a much better temperament than she has. ip have a much better -- let me tell you, she spent hundreds of millions of dollars on an advertising, know, they get madison avenue into a room. temperament. go after -- my strongest asset, temperament. i have a winning temperament. she does not have -- >> secretary clinton. >> wait. she does not, behind the blue screen, i don't know who you were talking to, secretary clinton, but you were totally out of control. i said, there's a person with a temperament that's got a problem. >> secretary clinton? >> whew! okay. let's -- let's talk about two important issues that were
7:23 pm
you know, nato as a military alines has something called article 5, and basically it says this -- ishs an attack on one is an attack on all. do you know the only time it's ever been invoked after 9/11, when the 28 nations of nato said that they would go to afghanistan with us to fight terrorism. something that they still are doing by our side. became secretary of state, iran was weeks away from having enough nuclear materiel to form a bomb. they had mastered the nuclear fuel cycle under the bush administration, had built coh. represent t and i voted against every sanction but it wasn't
7:24 pm
putting together a coalition that included russia and china to impose the toughest sanctions on iran. and we did drive them to the negotiating table, and my successor, john kerry and president obama, got a deal that put a lid on iran's nuclear program. without firing a single shot. that's diplomacy. that's coalition building. that's working with other nations. the other day i saw donald saying that there were iranian sailors on a ship in the waters off the iran, and they were taunting american sailors who were on a nearby ship. he said, you know, if they taunted our sailors, i'd blow them out of the water, and start another war. that's -- >> that would not start a war. >> that is not good judgment nap is not the right temperament to be commander in chief, to be taunted, and the worse part. >> no. they were taunting us.
7:25 pm
donald say has been an nuclear weapons. he has said repeatedly he didn't care if other nations got nuclear weapons, japan, saudi arabia. the policy of the united states, democrats and republicans, to do everything we could to reduce the proliferation of weapons. he even said if there were nuclear war in east asia, well, you know, that's fine. >> wrong. >> have a good time, folks. >> that's li attitude about nuclear weapons is so deeply troubling. that is the number one threat we face in the world, and it becomes particularly threatening if terrorists ever get their hands on any nuclear materiel. so a man who can be provoked by a tweet should not have his fingers anywhere near the nuclear codes as far as i think anyone with any sense about this should be concerned. >> getting a little old, i must
7:26 pm
well describes the problem. >> not accurate at all. it's not an accurate one. so i just want to give a lot of things, and just to respond. i agree with her on one thing. the single greatest problem the world has is nuclear armament, nuclear weapons. not global warming, like you think in your -- your president thinks. nuclear is the single greatest threat. just to go down the list, we defend japan. we defend we defend south korea, we defend saudi arabia. we defend countries. they do not pay us, but they should be paying us, because we are providing tremendous service, and losing a fortune. why we're losing, we lose on everything. i say, who makes these -- we lose on everything. i said it's very possible that if they don't pay a fair share, because this isn't 40 years where we could do what we're cog. we can't defend japan.
7:27 pm
million -- >> we need to move on. >> it's very important. all i said, they may have to defend themselves or help us out. we're a country that owe $20 trillion. they have to help us out. as far as nuclear, the single greatest threat this country has, i agree. >> my question on the last segment, securing america on nuclear weapons. president obama reportedly considered changing on first use. do you support the current policy, mr. trump, two minutes? >> i have to say, for what secretary clinton was saying nuclear for russia, very cavalier the way she talks about various countries, but russia has been expanding their, they have a much newer capability than we do. we have not been updating from a news standpoint. i looks the other day, seeing
7:28 pm
grandfather could be flying them. we are not keeping up with other countries. i would like everybody to end it, get rid of it but certainly not do first strike. i think that once the nuclear alternative happens, it's over. at the same time, we have to be prepared. i can't take anything off the table. because you look at some of these countries. you look at north korea. we're doing nothing there. china should solve that problem for us. china should go into north korea. china is totally p relates to north korea. and by the way, another one powerful is the worst deal i think i've ever seen negotiated you started is the iran deal. iran is one of their biggest trading partners. iran has power over north korea and when they made that horrible deal with iran they should vin included the fact they do something with respect to north korea, and they should have done something with respect to yemen and all of these other places.
7:29 pm
why didn't you do that, add other things into the deal. one of the great giveaways of all-time, including $400 million in cash, nobody's ever seen that before, but turned out to be wrong. it was actually $1.7 billion in cash, obviously, i guess, for the hostages. certainly looks that way. so you say to yourself, why didn't they make the right deal? this is one of the worst deals ever made by any country history. the deal with iran will lead to nuclear problems. all they have to do, sit back ten years -- >> your two minutes is expired. >> i met with bb netanyahu, he is not a happy camper. >> words matter. words matter when you run for president and they really matter when you are president.
7:30 pm
and elsewhere that we have mooch well defense treaties and we will honor them. it is essential that america's word be good, and so i know that this campaign has caused some questioning and some worries on the part of many leaders across the globe. i've talked with a number of them. but i want to, on behalf of myself and i think on behalf of a majority of the american people say that, you know, our word is good. it's also important that we look at the entire global situation. there's no doubt that we have other problems with iran, but personally i'd rather deal with the other problems having put that lid on their nuclear program than still to be facing that. and donald never tells you what he would do.

82 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on