Skip to main content

tv   The Late Show With Stephen Colbert  CBS  March 13, 2017 11:35pm-12:38am EDT

11:35 pm
captioning sponsored by cbs >> well come to the ncaa selection show. as always, i'm larry boberry. here with my co-anchor. today we'll reveal the brackets for the ncaa tournament march madness. >> the numbers and stats have been crunched and the results stored on a highly secured server impossible to hack. >> stephen: good to know! let's get to it. >> the number one in the country is villanova. >> going against number nine seed, and this is the surprise, the russian army! >> i did not see that coming. believe this will be the first time a foreign army will be dpeeting in this tournament. the wildcats will have their work cut out for them because it will be five players against 850,000 battle-tested soldiers. >> not to mention the russian
11:36 pm
army has a great defense and also nuclear weapons. >> i wouldn't count villanova out yet. they have josh hart. >> but russian proved tenacious on the eastern front. >> i'll make a bold prediction and say the russian army makes it to the final four. >> i agree, but in tend i think the russians lose to duke or duke is tossed in a siberian labor camp. >> either way, great tournament. for everybody at cbs sports, good night! >> it's "the late show" with stephen colbert! tonight stephen w welcomes ewan mcgregor, finn wittrock, and musical guest "the shins," featuring "stay human" and jon batiste. now live on tape from the ed sullivan theater in new york city, it's stephen colbert! ( cheers and applause ) ♪ >> stephen: whoo!
11:37 pm
hey! what's up? thanks, everybody! ( piano riff ) well, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the "late show." i'm your host stephen colbert. i hope everyone is staying safe and warm tonight because we're expecting a blizzard with up to 18 inches of snow from what the weather channel has dubbed "winter storm stella." for the latest on the storm, let's go to the weather channel's jim cantore. >> stella! >> stephen: thanks, jim. you stay safe out there. ( laughter ) you think he would be wearing a winter coat. surprising he's dressed that way.
11:38 pm
quick reminder -- the weather channel has no authority to name anything. they are not part of the government. in fact, i have as much authority to name things as they do, so, because we're expecting 18 inches of snow, even though it was 60 degrees last week, i'm calling it "winter storm: crazy balls." ( suspenseful music ) ( cheers and applause ) yeah, much more likely. >> jon: pretty crazy. >> stephen: speaking of crazy balls -- the gop's health care plan came out last week and, so far, it's popular with everyone... except doctors, hospitals, the insurance industry, patients, the elderly, democrats, republicans, mortals. ( laughter ) yeah. these mortals, they need so much care. ( cheers and applause ) this afternoon, the
11:39 pm
congressional budget office released its official analysis of the gop's healthcare bill and found 24 million americans will lose coverage under the plan. ( audience reacts ) >> oh, man! >> stephen: okay, okay. keep in mind, that's 24 million people by 2026. without health insurance, a lot of those people won't live that long. ( laughter ) yesterday, speaker of the house and personal trainer who high fives way too hard paul ryan went on "face the dickerson" to get ahead of the cbo report. >> the one thing i am certain will happen is cbo will say, well, gosh, not as many people will get coverage. >> stephen: "well gosh! not as many people will get coverage. gee willickers, i need chemo! cheese and crackers, i can't afford to go to the doctor. holy toledo, i should've identified my next of kin, because... fiddlesticks, i'm dead!" ( laughter ) ( applause ) yeah, doesn't sound so bad when
11:40 pm
its folksy. gosh, golly! ( applause ) ( piano riff ) so, anyway, a lot of people could end up losing their healthcare. speaking of losing it -- donald trump -- ( laughter ) as you all recall, a week ago that donald trump pinched out a couple of early morning tweets accusing barack obama of wiretapping trump tower before the election. trump offered no evidence and then demanded that congress go out and find some evidence. well, today is the deadline set by congress for justice department to turn over anything that might exist. so far, brace yourself, nothing ( laughter ) who could have seen this coming ( cheers and applause ) who could have predicted that? everyone, including paul ryan. >> have you seen anything to suggest there are wiretaps?
11:41 pm
>> no. >> stephen: you don't even want to think about it for a second? >> no. okay, but president trump had four tweets specifically accusing -- >> no. >> stephen: so, that means you're going to cancel the investigation? >> no. >> stephen: do you have any idea what you should say about this? >> no. okay. ( cheers and applause ) ( piano riff ) >> stephen: ryan's reaction isn't surprising. to believe trump's claims, you'd need a shaky grasp of reality, and zero regard for the truth. sean spicer today -- ( laughter ) seems like a good guy. seems like a good guy. ( cheers and applause ) if someone had to represent me, i'd go with sean spicer. >> jon: yeah. ( laughter ) >> stephen: today, sean spicer
11:42 pm
attempted to downplay the president's wiretap claim. >> the president used the word wiretap in quotes to mean broadly surveillance and other activities. >> stephen: sean, i think you're grasping at "straws." ( laughter ) i think you're a funny bunny. i don't literally mean grasping at straws. i mean "deeply troubled." ( laughter ) then sean got a little "spicy." >> the bottom line is, the question that you still have not answered is-- >> i have answered it! >> can you say affirmatively that, whenever the president says something, we can trust it to be real? >> if he's not joking, of course! ( laughter ) >> stephen: okay! if he's not joking! how hard is it to tell when the president is joking?! the president means it unless he's joking. and it's easy to tell. i mean, just look at the oath of office. >> preserve, protect and defend the constitution of the united states so help me god. bazinga! ( laughter ) ( applause ) >> stephen: he always throws
11:43 pm
that on the end, right? bazinga! and spicer wasn't the only member of team trump cleaning up the tweet storm. adviser and step-mom who is trying to replace your mother, kellyanne conway, explained yesterday that just because there's no evidence that his phone was wiretapped doesn't mean trump is wrong. >> there was an article this week that talked about how you can surveil someone through their phones, through their -- certainly through their television sets, any number of different ways, and microwaves that turn into cameras. >> stephen: it's true. it's true. ( laughter ) microwaves that turn into cameras. how do you think we film this show? jim, show camera three. show 'em what we've got over there. ( cheers and applause ) there it is. ( piano riff ) but, conway's microwave heated up online, so today she
11:44 pm
explained to chris cuomo why her claims may have been a little off. >> chris, i'm not inspector gadget. >> stephen: yes, okay, chris? inspector gadget had all sorts of tools at his disposal: gadget skates, gadget 'copter... kellyanne conway only has one move: go-go alternative facts! ( cheers and applause ) ( piano riff ) then she kept talking. >> i don't believe people are using the microwave to spy on the trump campaign. however, i have -- i'm not in the job of having evidence. >> stephen: okay... who has the evidence job? because it's certainly not paul ryan or tom price, and it would be nice to know if obama was spying on everyone through the popcorn setting on our microwaves.
11:45 pm
( laughter ) ( ding ) oh, excuse me. my hot pocket's done. ( cheers and applause ) oh, mmm, mmm! mmm! oh, mmm... ahhh! ( cheers and applause ) ♪ by the way, president obama, i miss you! ( cheers and applause ) actually, can i come in there with you? can i just -- can i just -- can you please -- can i just -- i just want -- ( laughter ) ( applause ) ♪
11:46 pm
( laughter ) >> jon: nice. >> stephen: we need a bigger microwave. now i want to talk about donald trump, but not the president. the one that looks like he's wet all the time, donald jr. ( laughter ) he was at gop fundraiser this weekend in texas, and he really knew how to win over the crowd, saying, "you guys get it. you understand the freedoms ... so many of which we've lost where i come from in the peoples' republic of new york. i can say that and mean it because i see it." dude, you live on the upper east side. the only thing you see are goldendoodles wearing rainshoes. ( laughter ) ( applause ) ( piano riff ) >> jon: come on! ( stephen making hissing sound ) ( laughter ) a lot of people have been
11:47 pm
worried about conflicts of interest because trump senior owns the trump organization. he's turned it over to his son, and don junior assured the crowd that, since his dad took office, quote, "i basically have zero contact with him, at this point." oh... thank you ( crowd says, oh... ) a little late but thank you. poor don junior. it reminds me of that old song, "the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon. the silver fork and the silver plate, the golden table, and the golden bed, and the golden toilet seat, yeah, daddy's got a golden toilet. ♪ ♪ ♪ ( cheers and applause ) "when you comin' home dad," "i can't tell you, son." it violates the emoluments clause, son. it violates the emoluments clause." ♪ ♪ ( cheers and applause ) we've got a great show for you
11:48 pm
tonight. ewan mcgregor is here. but, first, i'll talk about another trump crony who's cozying up to the russians. stick around. ♪♪ we be way too fly,e team bout to take flight ♪ ♪ i don't know what you've been told ♪ ♪ it takes two just like hot and cold ♪ ♪ it takes two to make a thing go right ♪ ♪ it takes two to make it outta sight ♪ un poquito mas rapido, no? [instrumental music playing hthroughout] [wheel squeaking] beautiful bike, just beautiful. ha,ha,ha. [pumping of bike tire] [pumping of hospital ventilator] [rain falling] [wheel squeaking] carlos! carlos! dr. brad needs to see you in room 3. [wheel squeaking] [heart monitor beeping]
11:49 pm
sir? you give me that salad and i will pay for your movie and one snack box. can i keep the walnuts? yes. but i get to pick your movie. can i pick the genre? nope. with the blue cash everyday card you get cash back on purchases with no annual fee. backed by the service and security of american express. youi knit's time.d topurchases with notalk about this. it is a big decision for us... let's take the $1000 in cash back. great! yeah, i want to get one of those gaming chairs with the speakers. oh, you do? that's a surprise... the volkswagen 3 and easy event, where you can choose one of three easy ways to get a $1000 offer. hurry in to your volkswagen dealer now and you can get $1000 as an apr bonus, a lease bonus, or cash back. i love the smell of napalm in the morning. no, this is double espresso. hodor! hodor! ehhh, hodor. you guys watch game of thrones, right?
11:50 pm
inconceivable! surely, you can't be serious. i am serious. and don't call me shirley? stream all your entertainment. introducing at&t's new unlimited data plans. plus, get the amazing new iphone 7 on us. new degree ultraclearnt saving black + white.othes. no yellow stains on white clothes. no white marks on black clothes. new degree ultraclear black + white. it won't let you down.
11:51 pm
some have it, some don't. when the odds are stacked against you, you either hide or stand up.
11:52 pm
at strayer university we've seen it in our students for 125 years. and if you ever think of quitting, our success coaches will be there to pick you up and work with you every day to put you on the right path. it's time. strayer university. let's get it, america. ♪ ( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: welcome back. jon batiste and "stay human," my friends, right over there! ( cheers and applause ) >> jon: where you at? where you at? >> stephen: jon, the band we've got on tonight, "the shins" are on the show tonight. >> jon: yeah, th yeah, "the shi" nice! >> stephen: they are giving away their tour van, this thing
11:53 pm
right here. >> jon: whoa! >> stephen: do we have a shot of this thing parked outside? it's literally parked outside of the theater right now. this is the band nay toured with for years. it's been super charged and souped up and they're giving her away. stick around after the show. you can find out how you can win "the shins" van. >> jon: i've seen way worse vans. >> stephen: that's a great ad for a car, you've seen worse. >> jon: i've seen worse! >> stephen: right. speaking of things you've seen worse -- some of trump's friends may be in trouble. ( laughter ) this time it's former campaign advisor and maitre d' at a gangster-themed restaurant, roger stone. he's a big buddy of donald trump. during the election, stone was accused of having ties to the russian hackers who broke into the dnc.
11:54 pm
but just last week, when asked what contact he had with russians, stone said -- "none. nada. zilch. i am not in touch with any russians. don't have a russian girlfriend, don't like russian dressing and have stopped drinking russian vodka." ( laughter ) >> stephen: "i threw out all my russian nesting dolls, i quit my russian roulette league, and i even walk really slowly so that nobody can say i'm rushin'!" ( laughter ) of course, so no russian! nothing russian at all! of course, we all know what happens when a trump adviser denies contact with suspected russian hackers -- they later admit they had contact with suspected russian hackers. and this isn't just any hacker. it's the one is believed by u.s. officials to be linked to russia and goes by the name guccifer 2.0. and was believed to have hacked
11:55 pm
d.n.c. e-mails. ( audience reacts ) yesterday, stone confirmed that he and guccifer had a private twitter conversation and released a screenshot in which guccifer told stone "i'm pleased to say that u r great man. please tell me if i can help u anyhow. it would be a great pleasure to me." yeah, is there anything i can do to help? maybe pick up your dry cleaning, or, hey, any elections you need rigged? ( laughter ) but stone had a perfectly good explanation for why he didn't mention his direct contact with one of the world's most notorious hackers, telling the washington times, "it was so perfunctory, brief and banal, i had forgotten it." ( laughter ) which is exactly the same thing my college girlfriend said. ( laughter ) ( applause ) to clear this up, we managed to secure an exclusive interview. please welcome live via satellite, the hacker himself, guccifer 2.0. thank you for joining us, mr. 2.0. ( cheers and applause ) >> it is great pleasure to me, stephen.
11:56 pm
you look so much different in person than in private photos i find on your computer. >> stephen: let's talk about your relationship with trump adviser roger stone. >> yes, i love roger! i call him "stoney the tiger" because he's grrrrrrreat man! >> stephen: really? because he said his contact with you was "banal" and "perfunctory." >> well, i'm sure "perfunctory" is good! is "funky", like american hip-hop. >> stephen: no, he denies having any real relationship with you. >> well, okay. is not important to me either. i dm with many decaying and beautiful old men ... oh, who am i kidding? i miss him so much! i may be most dangerous hacker in the world, but the stone-man breached the firewall... to my heart.
11:57 pm
( laughter ) who knew that colluding to throw election for paranoid reality tv star could have such bad result! >> stephen: guccifer, i'm so sorry. >> he promised me he'd help raise little guccifer 3.0! ( laughter ) don't worry, goosey-3, papa will be home soon! >> stephen: guccifer 2.0, everyone... we'll be right back with ewan mcgregor. ( laughter ) ( cheers and applause ) ♪ this this this is my body of proof. proof of less joint pain and clearer skin. this is my body of proof that i can take on psoriatic arthritis with humira.
11:58 pm
humira works by targeting and helping to block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to both joint and skin symptoms. it's proven to help relieve pain, stop further joint damage, and clear skin in many adults. humira is the #1 prescribed biologic for psoriatic arthritis. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. want more proof? ask your rheumatologist about humira. what's your body of proof? i'm in vests and as a vested investor in vests, i invest with e*trade, where investors can investigate and invest in vests... or not in vests.
11:59 pm
this is my retirement. retiring retired tires. and i never get tired of it. are you entirely prepared to retire? plan your never tiring retiring retired tires retirement with e*trade. (cat meows) ♪ (snap) ♪ (cat meows) sheba® perfect portions™. what cats want™ you didn't know we had over 26,000 local activities listed on our app. or that you could book them right from your phone. a few weeks ago, you still didn't know if you were gonna go. now the only thing you don't know, is why it took you so long to come here. expedia. everything in one place, so you can travel the world better.
12:00 am
12:01 am
♪ ( cheers and applause ) ♪ hey goodlookin' >> stephen: welcome back, everybody! ( cheers and applause ) ladies and gentlemen, my first guest tonight currently stars as an endearing candlestick in "beauty and the
12:02 am
beast" and an endearing drug addict in "t2 trainspotting." ♪ ♪ >> go, go, go! ♪ ♪ >> stephen: please welcome ewan mcgregor! ( cheers and applause ) ♪
12:03 am
>> that was nice. where are we? >> stephen: we're in the ed sullivan theater right now. >> i don't know that i've ever been in here. >> stephen: never been in here? >> no. >> stephen: you didn't come here when dave was here? >> i never looked up if i did. i don't think so. >> stephen: we changed the ceiling. >> well, in that case, maybe i have. ( laughter ) i love what you've done with the place. >> stephen: thank you very much. we kept it as cold as we used to. >> that does remind me of dave's studio. >> stephen: as i said in the intro, you are playing a talking candle stick. >> yep. >> stephen: and a 40-year-old heroin addict in these two different films. which one of these things is more believable? ( laughter ) because the idea that any of the guys from "train spotting" are alive is pretty crazy.
12:04 am
>> i don't know. i think it's quite a stretch to believe me as a candlestick. i don't know. >> stephen: oh, i totally buy you as a candlestick. >> the truth is, rant cleaned up his act over the years. a lot of people clean up after heroin and get over it. >> stephen: those guys are living a pretty rough life there. the fact you people in t2 have all your teeth is surprising. ( laughter ) >> i don't think bobby has all of his there. he's missing one, i think. >> stephen: all right, "beauty and the beast," you play a candlestick. how does one prepare as an actor, how does one do a ride along as a candlestick? >> months and months of research. i don't know really know. the funny thing about it is i sort of just swanned into it
12:05 am
without much thought. it was a mistake, as it turned out. ( laughter ) because i have been living with a beautiful french woman for 23, -5, -4 years, and i thought i could do the french accent, with bull i couldn't do it. >> stephen: you did the french accent as lumier and you couldn't do it? >> it was a bit south of the border. >> stephen: you were a bit mexican? we don't need no steenking beast! ( laughter ) >> we are guests! we are guests! s-- ( laughter ) >> we recorded it because i'm a candlestick. we got there before shooting,
12:06 am
recorded all the dialogue, and what we recorded was going to be played back on set for the amazing actors to listen to. and i left going, oh, no, they're just going to be listening. >> stephen: is this just in a recording booth or was it the sir coz with the blue balls on. >> we did the blue balls thing, which is a bit of what it feels like here actually. we did the balls thing just to get my movement so i could feel a bit like me, i guess. then i recorded my dialogue. we did it together in a recording studio. >> stephen: who is he? he plays cogsworth. >> stephen: you have children, sural you knew this musical before you took the job, right? ( laughter ) how old are your children?
12:07 am
>> oldest is 21, my youngest is 6. >> stephen: how did you escape from disney, the black hole that is be our guest? >> i have never seen it, the original. >> stephen: it's very good. it's not because i didn't want to. i don't know, it wasn't one they watched. >> stephen: has it not been translated into scottish? >> no. no. ( laughter ) but it should be. >> stephen: yeah. o, i don't know, it was quite handy in a way because when you're going to play a part that's well known, it's good you don't know it so it can be yours. i didn't try to be like the guy who did it in the cartoon in the '90s. >> stephen: there is a little controversy in this film. >> there is a lot of gay sex in the. ( laughter ) ( cheering ) there is a lot of gay sex in this cartoon. if you live anywhere near alabama, you should not go and see this film! what would jesus think?!
12:08 am
>> stephen: i'll ask him. ( cheers and applause ) >> shouldn't have said it? >> stephen: no, you should have. there are rumors he has gay parts. >> he's a gay character. >> stephen: i think it turns out they didn't actually say. >> he's a gay character. it's 2017. for (bleep) sake! ( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: yeah, yeah. is that any of your dialogue from the film? or is that -- ( laughter ) >> no, no. >> stephen: but it is some of your dialogue from t2 trainspotter. >> some of my lighter dialogue, yeah. >> stephen: now speaking of an
12:09 am
actor, someone who's committed to their role in trainspotting, your character loves the delicious, delicious heroin and has to kick it but keeps getting sucked back in. did you do a ride-along there? did you ever say to yourself, well, if i'm going to play a heroin addict i at least should know what it's like to be on the nod. >> i did think about it and, you know, it was an extraordinary moment in time. the trainspotting novel was sort of a novel of our generation in scotland and further afield i guess. but in scotland it was like the book of our generation. and when we are preparing to make the movie, i felt like it was -- it felt like it was going to become what it had become. it felt that special. i was convinced it would be an amazing piece of work. i did think, i've never done heroin and if i'm going to convincingly play a heroin
12:10 am
addict, irked try. i had a notion our script writer -- he's a doctor -- and i thought, well, he could give us some. ( laughter ) >> stephen: really? yeah, he could give us some. >> stephen: doctors in scotland have heroin is this. >> i'm sure their access to some somewhere. >> stephen: surely. i thought, that would make it safe. so i thought about it, and then i started working with danny boyle and we went up to glasgow and worked with recovering addicts and one guy became our heroin advisor on set. i went to one of their recovery meetings and i watched these young guys and girls come in and i saw the extraordinary suffering they were going through and the pain in their eyes and i thought it would be enormously disrespectful to them for me to go try heroin. >> stephen: to dabble. i didn't need to. it wasn't necessary. so i asked all of these people that were generous enough to
12:11 am
give us their time, and i asked them to describe what it was like to withdraw and what it felt like when you injected heroin. i'm an actor and i have to use my imagination, so that's what we did. it would have been very disrespectful to them to have done that. >> stephen: when i watched trainspotting, i needed some of the subtitles for some of the scenes. is that scotland's revenge on the english? ( laughter ) >> no, i think our midgeys are the revenge. they're tiny mosquitoes. they're a night mayor. nobody goats there because they get eaten alive by them. >> stephen: is there a scottish phrase you particularly love that i perhaps wouldn't understand what it meant if you said it? because there is so much of the film i'm only getting the emotional content from. >> yes, well, i'll come on to that. partly, it doesn't really matter, i think, when we made the first train spotting film, they asked us to redo the first
12:12 am
third of the movie to make it slightly less scottish. >> stephen: you dubbed it? just the first third, we dubbed some of it. >> stephen: okay. if you see the british version, bobby carlisle has a major scene and it starts at the volley which is the name of the bub and they tied it up so you could slightly understand him and it ruined it because if you don't understand what he's saying you get the point not to go near him or annoy him in any way. so we didn't do that this time, but what danny's done is he has done some sort of slightly amusing subtitling around the beginning of the movie to help the american ear into the accent. >> stephen: yeah. because it's an act of trust for the first few minutes. >> yeah. do you want to know my favorite scottish phrase? >> stephen: i would love to.
12:13 am
it's a bit rude, though. >> stephen: sure. it goes like this -- if you're going to get hung for stealing a sheep you might as well (bleep) it as well. ( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: "t2 trainspotting" opens in select cities this friday. ewan mcgregor, everybody. we'll be right back with finn wittrock. stick around! ♪ ( cheers and applause ) by the time you head to the bank and wait to get approved for a home loan, that newly listed, mid-century ranch with the garden patio will be gone. or you could push that button. [dong] [rocket launching] skip the bank, skip the waiting, and go completely online. get the confidence that comes from a secure, qualified mortgage approval in minutes. lift the burden of getting a home loan with rocket mortgage by quicken loans. [whisper: rocket]
12:14 am
fortified.tored. replenished. emerge everyday with emergen-c packed with b vitamins, antioxidants, electrolytes plus more vitamin c than 10 oranges. why not feel this good everyday? emerge and see.
12:15 am
nobody does unlimited like t-mobile. while the other guys gouge for unlimited data... t-mobile one save you hundreds a year. right now get two lines of data for $100 dollars. with taxes and fees included. that's right 2 unlimited lines for just $100 bucks. all in. and right now, pair up those two lines with two free samsung galaxy s7 when you switch. yup! free. so switch and save hundreds when you go all unlimited with t-mobile.
12:16 am
12:17 am
( cheers and applause ) ♪ >> stephen: hey! welcome back, everybody! ladies and gentlemen, you know my next guest from his multiple roles on "american horror story." he's making his late night debut right now. please welcome, finn wittrock!
12:18 am
( cheers and applause ) ♪ ♪ >> thank you! wow! >> stephen: first time on a late night show. >> yeah. >> stephen: you're gonna love it. >> i hope. so i'm really excited. >> stephen: you are? yeah. they told me it was going to be really cold. >> stephen: keep the guests fresh. guests tend to spoil if they get too warm. >> i don't want to get too relaxed. >> stephen: three seasons of "american horror story," nominated for an emmy for that. >> yes. >> stephen: you're also in la-la land, but you didn't get to sing or dance or anything like that. >> they cut out my big singing number. no, i'm just kidding. >> stephen: that's why they didn't win. >> that was the clutching point. >> stephen: that close, pushed them over the top.
12:19 am
>> it was like competing against ryan gosling. i was tough. they had to cut me out because it was going to tip the scales, you know. ( laughter ) >> stephen: now you're in tennessee williams' "the glass menagerie." ( cheers and applause ) >> yeah. mm-hmm. >> stephen: now, you went to juilliard -- >> mm-hmm. >> stephen: i'm not surprised you're doing the classic theater on broadway. were you there when jon batiste was there? >> we were in the same class, jon batiste and i. >> jon: yeah! ( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: do you have any stories? do you, by chance, have any stories you can tell about mr. batiste? >> some stories i have been sworn to secrecy about. >> jon: yeah, yeah -- ( laughter ) >> john was, like, if if you had headphones in and he saw you in the elevator, he would take it out of your ear and listen for a while and go, aaaaarg!
12:20 am
>> stephen: i heard you were accepted to juilliard and you said, nah. ( laughter ) what made you say "nah"? >> i was 18 and probably full of myself and i wanted to just do some tv and i was on the pilot of "cold case," you remember that show? >> stephen: nope. nope. okay. it's gone. i got into juilliard. i kind of auditioned on a whim. i was, like, i'm not going to ever get in. i thought, i'll audition and get it over with. they called me and said, you're in, you can come. i said, can i defer for a year? they said we don't defer. so i turned them down and tried out next year. >> stephen: and they accepted you. >> yes, it paid off. >> stephen: when you trained at juilliard, what's the secret sauce? >> i don't know if i can tell
12:21 am
you. >> stephen: i'm going to start my own theater school across the street, try to trito put them out of business. >> i don't know, it's four years, an intense program. >> stephen: first animal spine. >> the first three months we're laying on our backs humming, nonstop. >> stephen: did you do classical vocal training and stuff like that? >> yeah, lots of vocal training, lots of articulation, voice work, all that stuff. i've forgotten it all. >> stephen: did you guy do -- fists and loudest boasts. he thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts! ( cheers and applause ) she slits the sheets, the sheets she slits and on the slitted sheets she sits. ( stephen respeeds )
12:22 am
repeats ) >> wow, you didn't say the word! >> stephen: the censor had her finger on the button the entire time. ( laughter ) your dad worked in shakespeare. >> he did in lennox, massachusetts. that's where i caught the bug. >> stephen: did you wander around the house reciting shakespeare? >> yeah, romeo and juliet and whatever. i tried to skip the words and get to the sword fights. we would go out in the woods and try to find sticks and fight with them. it was a special way to grow up. it definitely exposed me to theater at a very young age and i think it was a heferlty way to start. >> stephen: what's it like working with sally field? >> she's the best is that has she made out with you yet? >> no. ( laughter ) >> stephen: we kissed a couple of times and it's totally worth it. >> she told me to give you a kiss from her but i think i
12:23 am
should refrain. ( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: "the glass menagerie" is on broadway now at the belasco theatre. finn wittrock, everybody! we'll be right back with a we'll be right back with a ( cheers and applause ) ( band playing )
12:24 am
12:25 am
12:26 am
( band playing ) ( cheers and applause )
12:27 am
new degree ultraclearnt saving black + white.othes. no yellow stains on white clothes. no white marks on black clothes. new degree ultraclear black + white. it won't let you down. how's this for a tv show? sous chef. lawyer by day, prep cook by night. no. here you go. i got this. i get cash back so it's like everything's on sale. with the blue cash everyday card, you get cash back on purchases with no annual fee. backed by the service and security of american express. you get cash back on purchases with no annual fee. this is one gorgeous truck. special edition. oh, did i say there's only one special edition? because, actually there's five. ooohh!!
12:28 am
aaaahh!! uh! hooooly mackerel. wow. nice. strength and style. it's truck month. get 0% financing for 60 months plus find your tag and get $5500 on select chevy silverado pick-ups when you finance with gm financial. find new roads at your local chevy dealer. because when it comes to great tasting water... ♪ fill quickly and pour immediately, for great tasting water... fast. new brita stream. the goalie has studied every one of your shots. she knows you're going for her left corner. she even teases you, calling the shot. but her legs are the ones trembling, not yours. ♪ time to shine. orbit. one, two, three, ♪get loose no♪! ♪ it takes two to make a thing go right ♪
12:29 am
♪ it takes two to make it outta sight.♪
12:30 am
>> stephen: here performing, "name for you" off their new album, "heartworms," please welcome "the shins!" ( cheers and applause ) ♪ my girl, if you're lucky one day ♪ rolling down the ancient high street you'll find ♪ in the mirror reflects a woman in her prime ♪ can you make your way out? in a world dearly won ♪ well it's yours love you can move it around ♪ given all the drops in the ocean ♪ better take it one sip at a
12:31 am
time ♪ somebody with an antique notion ♪ comes along to tighten the line ♪ they're just afraid of you speaking your mind ♪ they've got a name for you girls ♪ what's in a name? they got a name for everything ♪ all of the clothes that you wear ♪ and all of your bits and pieces yeah ♪ you're flipping through the check-stand rags it appears ♪ there ain't no time to waste, you're getting on in years ♪ you can keep your can up if you just never eat again ♪ it's a means to a terrible end even if your plan is successful ♪ have you really got room in
12:32 am
your life? ♪ yeah and it's a bland kind of torture ♪ you've played the mother and wife ♪ but what do you really dream of at night? ♪ they've got a name for you girls ♪ what's in a name? they've got a name for you girls ♪ what's in a name? they got a name for everything ♪ all of the clothes that you wear ♪ and all of your bits and pieces yeah ♪ they've got a name for you girls ♪ some stupid name they've got a name for you girls
12:33 am
♪ what's in a name? what's in a name? ♪ what's in a name? what's in a name? ♪ what's in a name? ( cheers and applause ) >> stephen: hey. thanks, man. the shins everybody!" hey, thanks so much! that was great! now, james, before i get going here, i understand you do have in special contest for the van. >> big red. >> stephen: this is a van you have been using since the beginning of your career together as band. >> that's right and now we're renting a big bus so we just don't need this old van and it's kind of going to waste. >> stephen: how does somebody win it? >> you cover a song on our new record "heart worms" and submit it to us somehow, make us fall
12:34 am
in love with you and you get the van. that's it. >> stephen: all right, you can find out more about how to do it on our web site. the shins, everybody, we'll be on our web site. the shins, everybody, we'll be right back! on our web site. the shins, everybody, we'll be riwendy's doesn't put up with mushy fish sandwiches like some do. their north pacific cod is breaded in crisp, flaky panko for a big... that's deliciously different. i love it even more than the sea. hey, don't get all mushy on us.
12:35 am
it's dinner time and you worked overtime. so you have... no time. but you don't have to cut corners, mom! wendy's kids meals are now just $1.99 after 4pm for a limited time. and you can treat yourself too. it's about time.
12:36 am
there's work to be done.lf too. it's not going to be easy but there's grit inside of you. and if you need extra motivation the grad fund at strayer university can help push you forward. because up to your last year of classes could be on us. that's right. on us. today is the day. strayer university. let's get it, america. >> stephen: hey! that's it for the late show. tune in tomorrow when my guests will be neil degrasse tyson and musical guest rick ross. now stick around for james corden and his guests, leighton
12:37 am
meester, dominic monaghan, and blake griffin. goodnight! captioning sponsored by cbs captioned by media access group at wgbh access.wgbh.org ♪ are you ready y'all to have some fun ♪ feel the love tonight don't you worry 'bout ♪ where you come from it's gonna be all right ♪ it's the late, late show >> ladies and gentlemal

222 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on