Skip to main content

tv   Lockup New Mexico  MSNBC  June 23, 2012 3:00pm-4:00pm PDT

3:00 pm
due to mature subject matter, viewer discretion is advised. they openly declared war against each other. we know that they're preparing themself for battle. >> in the back pages of your phone book here, you have lots of inmates' names and numbers. why? >> the guys i talked to said you are not going to be able to do anything about it. they're going to retaliate.
3:01 pm
>> make sure you check everything. use the mallets. use the metal detectors, the mirrors. check every single thing. because they know where to hide. >> when they come out, they come out in their boxers and shower suits only. no watches. no rings. no medallions. nothing else. everything else stays in their cells. one thing we learned was the inmates said what they are doing is they're taking their shanks to the strip cage. they are taking them out of your
3:02 pm
braces and putting them on the floor. what we are doing today is following up on what occurred on level 6 last week. when several high-ranking members were able to overpower an officer in the recreation area, take the keys from her, and they stabbed a rival member numerous times. as a result of that, we initiated shake downs. we completed level 6 yesterday. we are headed to level 5 to conduct interviews to see if there's any follow-up information. see if there's any weapons over here, and see if the salts are going to continue this way. if any assaults are going to occur immediately once they come off lockdown, the likelihood is it might occur in this unit because the inmates have the opportunity for congregated activity. they have the opportunity to come out of their cells six at a time, so if there's going to be any retaliation, it's possible
3:03 pm
it would happen here. >> this is where it all starts off. what they do is come over here, right here. they'll actually start just working it. working it. take a piece how big they want it. they start working it, working it, until eventually it starts cutting into the metal. every time they leave their cell whatever, they get toothpaste, soap, mix it up, and they'll just layer it. what they are doing now is just leaving them bare, anytime you come in here, they can actually see this and they can't really cover that up. but that's what we're used in the assault. the two pieces that were used as a shank, came from the right here. that's why they started doing this. this is contraband now. >> although level 6 is on lockdown our producers are allowed to talk to one inmate about the toll the new restrictions are taking.
3:04 pm
>> i haven't been able to visit with my sister or mother because of this thing that happened in the separate housing unit. with two other inmates that had nothing to do with me. and so it's just not right. it's a nuisance. it's annoying because i don't behave in a way that merits my suspension of privileges, visits, commissaries, nor do a lot of other guys for that matter, but yet we're being punished collectively. two weeks ago, they came and took away our nail clippers. we weren't allowed access except for on sunday night. if we needed to cut our nails, the corrections officer would give them to us, cut our nails and then give them back. we never even had them in our cell. they came and took them with no explanation whatsoever. this is the result. i wonder if it's sanitary.
3:05 pm
if i act out and create problems, then i earned this. it's not my problem something is happening somewhere else. i didn't do anything to anybody and nobody did anything to me. >> after hours of searching, captain flores uncovers the first clue that gang violence may be imminent at the level five facility. >> almighty islam, a war is being mounted. chosen now, oh, great god, those who must be killed and those who must be taken alive through sacrifice so that you may drink their heart's blood. oh, lord of war we bepg you smile upon those that will die on this field or on your altar. the words you choose, the choice of which is entirely up to you. what this is, it's a prayer of war. it's not very often that you find a prayer from a gang member or a specific gang preparing themselves for battle. this is something unique. we know they are preparing themselves for battle.
3:06 pm
they are giving us enough information to let us know something is coming down the road. it's imminent. we're trying to see who is who and what's what and identify sleeper gang members that are out there in the compound. identify them so we know who they are and see if we can stop a future assault. >> violent incidents like the recent gang stabbing in level 6, simply adds to the tension already felt in the supermax facility, especially for michael daly. who spent five years under protective custody for his own safety. >> they call me happy because the last laughs are always on me. i have been living in level 6 since i got incarcerated in april of 2003. i'm here involuntary protective
3:07 pm
custody. the institution says there's a threat against my life. in my case, that's the reason why i was in level 6. that's all i'm going to say about that. that's why i was in level 6. >> there's a story there, huh? >> there's a lot of stories. i'm happy to say it out there, but not in here. this is real big week for me because i'm getting released back into the community. i'm just very surprised that i made it this far. the stuff that i've seen and the stuff that i've been through, i'm just real thanks to god that i'm making it out, alive. i'm happy to get out. i'm really happy, but scared. i'm scared to get out. i really am. i don't want to hurt the people i love the most. that's why i'm scared. >> how would you hurt them? >> i don't want to come back here. because coming here hurts my family.
3:08 pm
before i came here, i never looked at it that way until after doing eight years. in prison. that's what i'm scared of. i don't want to hurt nobody no more. i'm about to make a phone call now. i'm about to go call my mom and let her know the good news and let her know i'm going home, and if she could, if she could come pick me up. hey, guess what? you can come pick me up friday after 4:00. >> after 4:30. she's all happy. she's wow! all right. and are you going to bring me some clothes, right? yeah? i'm happy, too, mom. well, do you know what, mom, i'm going to make this quick, and make sure that you come on friday after -- at 4:00, that way you can be waiting there for me. well, i love you, and i'll see you soon, okay? all right. bye-bye.
3:09 pm
four more days and a wake up and i'll be home. i'm going home to my mother. i'm going to parole over there. everybody is happy. i'm just really scared. still ahead, happy is what they call short to the door. he's not a free man, yet. >> you never know what's going to happen. plus, the threat of a possible gang attack wears on the staff. >> it's taking it's toll. and frederico files for an out-of-state transfer, but he's not the only one. >> that's irrelevant. and on small business saturday they remind a nation of the benefits of shopping small. on just one day, 100 million of us joined a movement... and main street found its might again. and main street found its fight again. and we, the locals, found delight again. that's the power of all of us. that's the power of all of us.
3:10 pm
that's the membership effect of american express. you walk into a conventional mattress store, it's really not about you. they say, "well, if you wanted a firm bed you can lie on one of those. if you want a soft bed you can lie on one of those." we provide the exact individualization that your body needs. welcome to the lowest prices of the season, not just on ordinary beds, but on the bed that can change your life. the sleep number bed. never tried this before. this is your body there. you can see a little more pressure in the hips. take it up one notch. oh gosh, yes. when you're playing around with that remote, you get that moment where you go, "oh yeah" ... oh, yeah! ... and it's perfect. they had no idea that when they came to a sleep number store, we were going to diagnose their problems and help them sleep better. and right now, you can save an incredible $300 to $1,000 on selected bed sets. once you experience it, there's no going back. wow. it's the lowest prices of the season on the amazing sleep number bed.
3:11 pm
sale ends july 8th. only at the sleep number store, where queen mattresses start at just $699.
3:12 pm
because of my charges, i'm housed in level 6. they said i beat a guy to death with three other people in the
3:13 pm
county jail. somebody stomped on his head. he died of a torn kidney, broken ribs, broken skull. hematoma, brain dead and he died. they charged four of us. they charged me with the death penalty. take me to court for two and a half years to fight them. i get the death penalty thrown out and then they hang me for first-degree murder. they offered me a plea bargain 20 years for aggravated battery, i said okay. >> like many suspected gang members, the only way out of level 6 is out of state transfer. the problem is, his request has been denied before. >> okay, daniel, what exactly is it that you need from me today? what do you need to know? >> transfer. >> transfer where? >> out of state. >> i was told your out of state was denied. however -- however, let me just finish. i don't have a denial in here. so, what i can do -- you have it
3:14 pm
and i don't have it? >> when i got here, you guys locked me down. >> okay. >> i stayed under investigation for three and a half years. on may 18th of last year i beat the death penalty. when i beat the death penalty, they said we can't let you out until after the conclusion of your homicide trial. >> right. >> i got aggravated battery. when i came back, they said the only way i can go out of state is by becoming a level 6 inmate. since i was no longer under investigation, he has to write something up. what he does, change me from investigation to security for the murder of an inmate. that's not what i'm here for. >> okay. and you're right. we'll do a special hearing. >> i didn't do murder.
3:15 pm
>> i don't care about that guy. what i'm going to do is another special hearing. i'll do another form. instead of putting initial, i'll put special and make the correction. that you weren't convicted, and that you pled down to aggravated battery. however, you will still meet the criteria for level 6. >> how long do i have to stay in lockdown for aggravated battery? four years. i spent four years and two days for aggravated battery. i seen guys come here for stabbing and stay for a year. this don't have anything to do with this, i understand that. what i'm trying to tell you is this, the constitution officer will take relevant information from the court or district attorney. there's no mention in there. nothing about all he said is consider him to go out of state. he writes back and say he's a threat for the murder of an inmate. he's not going out. >> that's not why you won't go out of state. >> it says i'm a threat for security. >> that's not why you are in level 6. >> that's why my out of state was denied. it says right there in their own words. out of state transfer denied. inmate is a threat to security.
3:16 pm
>> okay. so, we don't need to argue about that. what i'm going to do is a special review for you, just like i said, and i'm going to change that wording. listen to me. listen to me. >> i want to appeal this. >> listen to me. this is a committee. this is a committee. >> give me my sheet so i can appeal it. >> i haven't done it. i just finished telling you i have to type it up. correct? >> that's not the way -- >> yes, it is. >> can i show you how it needs to be done. with your own policy? >> listen to me -- daniel -- listen to me, daniel. once i get all the stuff done, i will send up a hearing notice for you to sign. within 48 hours of that hearing notice, that's how it's done. >> can i show you something else? >> no, i don't need to hear nothing else. >> supposed to your policy, you're supposed to bring me here. >> you're correct. >> no. that's irrelevant.
3:17 pm
how it was done. [ bleep ]. now, i'm doing it all over again. you can complain about the way i do it, later. but right now i'm explaining to you how we're going to do it. i'll bring you back -- i don't care. >> what's your policy say? >> i don't care. are you going to listen? >> a representative and a psychologist. >> you're right. this isn't a committee. this is a meeting. no, it's not. i'm going to set you up for a committee. >> i don't want to come here and argue. >> you need to be quiet and listen to me so that way you can hear what i'm saying. listen. listen. don't say another word. you are going to go to committee. however, before you go to committee, i have to write up the stuff, right? i have to write up the hearing notice. you get a hearing notice. within 48 hours of the hearing notice, you'll come to committee. when that committee happens, everybody will be here. okay? this isn't a committee. this is a meeting trying to figure out what you are telling me at the door. >> i don't care about -- i don't care about --
3:18 pm
>> okay. go ahead and take him back. he's too argumentative. >> you don't ever do your job. >> have a good day. bye-bye. go ahead and take him. have a good day. have a good day. have a good day. bye-bye. [ bleep ] >> so, it's going to be another long process. next week, i'll have it all squared away. they can deny his out of state, if they want to again. but based on proper information versus worded wrong information. >> daniel may feel like he's never leaving level 6. but next we talk to the one inmate whose only way out may be through death. >> i'm not afraid to die or afraid to be dead. i've made my peace with god. i've made my peace with this world. and we find hard evidence that gang violence is far from over. >> it could take someone's life in an instant. with walmart's choice premium steak. it's a steakover! tender. really tender. the steak itself is phenomenal. it's so juicy. this steak is perfect.
3:19 pm
these are carefully aged for flavor and tenderness. it's probably the best steak i've had. tonight you are actually eating walmart steak. are you serious? wow. i'll get some steaks from walmart. walmart choice premium steak in the black package. it's one hundred percent satisfaction guaranteed. try it and check us out on facebook. it's one hundred percent satisfaction guaranteed. cuban cajun raw seafood pizza parlor french fondue tex-mex fro-yo tapas puck chinese takeout taco truck free range chicken pancake stack baked alaska 5% cashback. signup for 5% cashback at restaurants through june. it pays to discover.
3:20 pm
well, more and more people are bundling their home and auto insurance with progressive. sure seems and why that way. wouldn't you? you can save on both your home and auto policies. yep. we talked about this. [meow!] [meow!] bundling and saving. now, that's progressive. play rocket cat adventures at progressive.com. let's compare. germ party! eww! now the colgate total mouth. nice! [ female announcer ] colgate total fights 90% more plaque germs. i'm in. [ female announcer ] colgate total. less germs. healthier mouth. [ male announcer ] we began with the rx. ♪ then we turned the page, creating the rx hybrid.
3:21 pm
♪ now we've turned the page again with the all-new rx f sport. ♪ this is the next chapter for the rx. this is the next chapter for lexus. this is the pursuit of perfection. many level 6 inmates won't get out of the supermax facility until they are released on parole. for another group, there's only one way out.
3:22 pm
>> this is unit 4. this is where lethal injection is administered to inmates that have been sentenced to death. since 1912 when the state of new mexico became a state, we have executed 26 people. the last one and the only one we did in this area was teri clark on november 6th, 2001. there are two inmates sentenced to death in the state of new mexico. one of those inmates robert frye is housed here at the pen tennary new mexico at level 6. >> this is my wonderful piece of heaven. it's a 7 footx12 foot. >> robert frye was sentenced to death in 2005. he's currently in the appeal process. >> we first met robert while shooting the original "lockup new mexico" episode in 2005. >> let me ask you a question. is it a greater sin to steal a cracker or to kill someone? >> to kill someone. >> god doesn't see it that way. you break one sin, you break all sins. so, what does it matter what sin
3:23 pm
you perpetrate? i'm not afraid to die. i'm not afraid to be dead. you know? i've made my peace with god. i've made my peace with this world. i'm trying to do the best i can to live in this world with what time i have left whether it be next year or 100 years, who knows, you know? >> these two rooms are for witnesses of the execution as determined by the warden. we keep them separate because, obviously, it's victims versus family members of the inmate, we wouldn't want them to be in the same area. also, present is the attorney general, had is the highest ranking legal official of the state of new mexico. >> my death may be scheduled, but it's not guaranteed. you know. i believe that only god knows the day i'm going to die. and, you know, if the state does put me to death, well, then, i go to my maker with a clear conscience.
3:24 pm
>> in this room, is the area where the drugs are actually administered through this cord here. also in this room obviously is a red room, if there's a stay of execution or change of order or whatever, it would be communicated through the red phone. once the execution is completed, the body of the inmate is brought through this door here out this door into the sally port where there would be an ambulance waiting to remove the body. >> i've been in prison since 2000. i was arrested in june for murder. i was convicted of one homicide in 2002, another one in 2003. a double homicide in 2005. i have ongoing appeals and litigation concerning those. >> can you say under what circumstances this person was murdered? >> this man beat this woman to death with a sledgehammer because he wanted to have sex with her and she didn't want to.
3:25 pm
and i didn't stop it. the same man that killed the woman i'm convicted of murdering also i believe was involved with the death of the other gentleman. he was either strangled or beaten to death, they are not sure which. it was bad enough they couldn't make a determination as to which killed him, the strangling or the beating. as far as the other two murders, i'm convicted of, both of these men were friends of mine, good friends of mine. one man i had known -- he wasn't even a man yet, he was a 19-year-old boy. i'd known this kid since he was 5 years old. they were beaten, had their throats cut. they died violently, very, very violently. i think that going to certain death, you really become aware of how you live, what days you have left. do you want to party your butt off or do you want to live it the best you can for god?
3:26 pm
and some days i do that very well, living it for god. other days, i make mistakes, i'm only human. like i said, i'm trying to overcome that person i was once. and case in point, we have a rule here about facial hair. i got in an argument with a lieutenant over shaving. and i was upset about it. but i didn't cuss it. i didn't threaten him. and that's something new. i might have gotten in an argument about what he cared about if i had a mistach that went past the corners of my mouth or mouth, but i didn't call him names or cuss him out or threaten to beat him down or go after him. >> have you contemplated the thought of living your life here? >> yeah. i live the best i can no matter where i'm at. sink, toilet, you maximize whatever space you have. i have been a firm believer, if
3:27 pm
you're dependent on where you're at, who you're with, what's around you to be peaceful and happy, you are not going to be peaceful and happy. you have to make wherever you're at organized and peaceful and happy. it comes from within, not from without. coming up, efforts to prevent another gang fight pay off. >> very good day. awesome day. saved somebody's life. plus, freed rico revealed his prior gang loyalties. >> i think it was a year after i got incarcerated in prison that i joined. an accident doesn't have to slow you down. with better car replacement available only with liberty mutual auto insurance, if your car's totaled, we give you the money for a car one model year newer. to learn more, visit us today. responsibility. what's your policy?
3:28 pm
3:29 pm
and he didn't stop for three days and nights as he escaped life as a child soldier. twenty years later, he was still running, he just had a different thing driving him. every step of the way. ♪ visa. supporting athletes and the olympic games for 25 years. join our global cheer.
3:30 pm
i'm milissa rehberger, and here's what's happening. former penn state football coach jerry sandusky is reportedly on suicide watch at the pennsylvania jail where he awaits sentencing. sandusky was found guilty on 45 counts of child sexual abuse. he's facing a minimum sent edges of 60 years in prison. and in new orleans gas operators are evaluating
3:31 pm
tropical storm debdeby. it's expecting to cause flooding along the gulf coast. now back to "lockup." due to mature subject matter, viewer discretion is advised. ♪ there ain't nothing you can do to me that i haven't already done to me ♪ ♪ trick suddenly past forgiveness for god to be my witness ♪ ♪ try to listen my life is finished. ♪ i walk a thin line ♪ what's live ♪ the only light i see is crack pipes ♪ ♪ i live my life that's my only option i never thought twice not nice to stay stand and fight [ bleep ] life's a roll of the dice ♪
3:32 pm
>> they've openly declared war against each other based on the two series of events that have happened at the level 6. attempted assaults and then retaliation last weekend and actually carried out an assault on an inmate. so, what we're doing is we're trying to find their weapons for one or gather any intelligence to see if we can stop a future assault. >> a couple sources i talked to basically came out and told me that there is going to be retaliation because of the incident. this is mainly for you guys that work at the level 6. and the guys i talked to are not going to be able to do anything about it. they're going to retaliate, the snm. and, you know, it's going to happen, so you guys need to be on your toes and be ready for that, because that's basically what i was told today by a
3:33 pm
couple of sources are i talked to. the phrase they used was tick for a tack or something like that. so, just be ready for it and be careful. >> a new day today. we finished on the 3-a side. today we start on the 3-b side. we're doing the same thing we did yesterday. pulling all the inmates. strip searching them. conducting interviews with them, conducting cell searches. and it's taking its toll heavily. 10-, 12-hour days since last wednesday. it's getting kind of tough. but we know that with the violence that has occurred and the violence that could be forthcoming, we just need to keep on pushing forward and ensuring that we can do whatever we can to curtail another assault and find the weapons or information that we can find. >> as we were shaking down a cell up there, myself and the other officer noticed that there was a tear inside the mattress.
3:34 pm
that prompted us to get a frisker which detects metal. and when we did that it didn't set it off. we noticed there was a homemade soap on the mattress. we let the supervisor know. we teared it open. we slit these open, there they were. plastic, you cannot detect with a metal detector. with the tools that we have, that we use, it's unable to detect that. so this is a very, very good find. my speculation on this, it's made off the lid from the trays, the food trays. they break them off. very hard plastic. that could take somebody's life in an instant. very good day. awesome day. we saved somebody's life. >> the shakedowns have proven successful, but the correctional officers have no doubts about the plans of the inmates. >> what does this mean about the war or what you thought might be
3:35 pm
a big war kicking on here? >> it's still on. right now they're quiet because they're locked down. they haven't had the opportunity to do battle with each other. but i'm sure it's going to come. it's just a matter of have we made the necessary security changes or precautions to try to stop that from happening. >> we know for a fact, these groups are assessing our staff members in terms of their abilities and knowledge to do their job. >> they're just regrouping, reorganizing, probably restrategizing the way they're going to carry out any retaliation or continue assaulting each other. once we're done with shaking down here, a separate team of security supervisors will come through and do a security assessment to see what improvements need to be made at this facility. >> as far as your jobs go? >> our jobs never end. >> we're pretty tired, but we know that we're going to be making some crucial decisions.
3:36 pm
and try to put an end to this violence. put an end to the war. so, when will it end for us? it doesn't. >> when there's no more inmates in prison. >> yeah. when we retire. >> captain flores and his team know full well they'll never completely remove gangs. every day new inmates arrive and many of them waste little time before choosing sides. >> i think it was about a year after i got incarcerated in prison that i joined the snm. >> shortly after joining the prison gang, he was ordered by snm to kill a fellow gang member. >> i was 18. first time i've ever killed anybody. it wasn't to kill him in the sense that you see it on the movies how guys cavalierly kill people, it wasn't like that for me.
3:37 pm
i remember planning it out. he was a senior member of the snm, but in the '80s around the time of the prison riot, he was also a member of the nuest nuestra familia. you can't do that. you can't be from two cliques. you just can't. you just can't. word was put out to kill the guy. i happened to be in jail when the word was put out. there was pretty much consistency with the corrections officer, so we had the same officer coming in for four or five days out of the week and then he'd have two days off and he would come back on. so i studied him and his mannerisms and behavior. when i got to the point i felt comfortable, i made my move. while everybody was eating, i took his tray into his room. i sat down next to him on his bed. i talked to him. he got up. turned on his light, which sat across the desk on the wall to roll a cigarette. bible paper. when he turned his back to me, i
3:38 pm
stood on the bed and put the rope around his neck. he fought me. he threw me around the room. surprisingly strong. i guess when you're fighting for your life, you have strength. you know? ultimately, he couldn't get the rope off his neck. and he succumbed, so once he died, i covered him up, put him back in his bed as if he was asleep. turned off his light. >> you got away with it? >> i got away with it. i went and picked a fight with some black guys in another pod just to do that because i knew if i created some friction in the pod and all kinds of different things were happening all at once, law enforcement would never know what happened. about nine years later the cold case homicide officer came and he talked to me in this visiting room right here and he asked me, and i told him. and he offered me a deal. if i admitted to it, they would run the life sentence concurrent with the life sentence that i'm in prison for right now.
3:39 pm
but, i'm in here because i was a member of the snm, and because now that i declare i'm on my own, the state's not going to let me out to the population because they're not sure if i'm going to get hurt, or they're not sure if i'm manipulating to them or lying to them. as a result, i'm stuck. good or bad. still ahead, convinced he'll never reach general population in new mexico, frederico files for an out-of-state transfer. >> i've done it four or five times in the last year. >> stiu continues its crackdown on prison gangs. >> has anyone tried to recruit you into a gang? [ woman ] for the london olympic games, our town had a "brilliant" idea.
3:40 pm
3:41 pm
3:42 pm
support team usa and show our olympic spirit right in our own backyard. so we combined our citi thankyou points to make it happen. tom chipped in 10,000 points. karen kicked in 20,000. and by pooling more thankyou points from folks all over town, we were able to watch team usa... [ cheering ] in true london fashion. [ male announcer ] now citi thankyou visa card holders can combine the thankyou points they've earned and get even greater rewards. ♪ the penitentiary of new mexico holds the worst offenders in the state.
3:43 pm
some who are validated gang members that are in a constant state of war with each other and staff. today, they are doing a sweep in the level 5 facility allowing our crew along for the ride. >> ladies and gentlemen we are here to conduct a shakedown. this is based on some activity we got. we've got some information on snm gang members, okay? so, we're going to head to the unit, and we're going to look mainly for gang information and graffiti and stuff. >> sometimes when you first come shakedown a cell, first thing you want to do is observe everything. you look. the most common places you'll find is the easiest place you'll think of. look, gang paraphernalia here. >> what is it? >> three crosses. represents these from las cruces, new mexico, and they use the three crosses to display their gang symbols.
3:44 pm
>> to validate them is essential in maintaining the safety of the facility. >> who is this? >> i found this hanging on his wall. >> once he's a validated snm member, he'll never be able to go to a level 2 facility. >> you can take that and i'll write him up for possession of gang paraphernalia. >> he'll be documented as a suspected street gang member, and we'll start a file on him if one's not already been created. and that way wherever he goes whether it's to another facility or out on the streets, he'll be identified as a suspected gang member. >> the letters here in the cell, she found what looks like a diagram or a pattern of a handcuff key. the crude makings, the beginning of it, obviously it's in the
3:45 pm
manufacturing stages. but what i probably think what he's doing is he's got all these bars of soap. and what he'll start doing is he'll start cut iting on out a pattern to try to match it to this out of soap. then once he gets a good pattern down, then he'll find a piece of metal to transfer it over to a piece of metal and attempt to see if it works. so, he was on the right track. >> so, what does it mean for the inmate? >> it's a good find for us because obviously we know what his intentions are now. for this inmate, nothing will happen. we'll take this from him. it's not in actual fabrication stages yet. if it was carved out of something, we would charge him. with escape paraphernalia. >> we have an address book that was found in this inmate's cell. on the inside he has gang graffiti lists here. inside is known contacts of gang member facilities. as well as out on the streets. this is a list of monikers, they go by. they have numbers here.
3:46 pm
we go through and see if we have those listed. do we know who peanut is and do we know who bill munchi is, things like that. if we don't, we have them solidly identified as to who this person is. we can use it later on. >> this inmate, what happens to him given this book? >> what happens to him? it's not a crime to have this information. what we'll do is take it, we let him know we confiscated it. he knows we're on to you. we're looking at you and staying on top of your correspondence. things of that nature. what it will do is it will give him an opportunity to quell his activity because he knows the heat's on a little bit. he'll contact the other guys and say they are looking at me. do you know what i mean? while he's doing that, we will see who he's corresponding with and who he's shooting the warning off to and we can kind of network his little group. >> armando? >> yeah.
3:47 pm
>> let's go. we're going to have a chitchat. >> they bring him in for a interview about his possible gang affiliation as part of the validation process. >> we did some shakedowns in your unit today, i'm sure you know. during the search we found this book here with the bunch of gang writing, gang symbolism on it. we want to ask you about it. >> what about it? >> what information is on it? >> what does it say? it says right there. >> i'm asking you. >> come on, man. you're going to do what you're going to do. it says what it says. that's what it is. it says some numbers, some letters, some initials, you know. you know, if you think they are gang, then take the necessary -- >> well, then explain to me what the meanings are to you. >> why? they are for me, not you. or anyone else. they are for me. >> in the back pages of your phone book here, you have a lot
3:48 pm
of inmates' names and numbers. why? >> because they're my homies. >> you consider them associates? homeys being your friends? >> why not? i know them. >> all right. has anybody tried to recruit you to be in a gang? >> no. >> do you have any tattoos that would identify you as being a gang member? >> well, yeah, i do. street gang. >> what street gang do you belong to? >> west side. >> out of where? >> alamogordo. >> we're going to do this. we're going to keep this for now. we're going to make copies of the names and inmates you have in there and put it in your file then give it back to you. >> do you have any questions? all right. >> all right. >> armando hasn't been validated as a prison gang member yet, but he's on his way. back in level 6, happy is headed to the parole board.
3:49 pm
>> i just came back from rec and i'm fixing to go to the parole board. i'm kind of nervous right now, because you never know what's going to happen. you don't know if they are going to deny you or let me go. but i know that somebody up above is looking out for me because if it wasn't meant to be, i wouldn't be right here right now so -- worst-case scenario, my parole could be denied. and the best-case scenario, i'll be out by 5:00. coming up, will he still be happy after his parole hearing? plus, frederico files for an out-of-state transfer, but the results are less than he'd hoped for. >> which means that this is a sham. you save. and when you switch from another company to us,
3:50 pm
we even reward you for the time you spent there. genius. yeah, genius. you guys must have your own loyalty program, right? well, we have something. show her, tom. huh? you should see november! oh, yeah? giving you more. now that's progressive. call or click today.
3:51 pm
where tonight we switched their steaks with walmart's choice premium steak. it's a steakover! it's flavorful. it's so juicy. the taste...it's fantastic. it's probably the best steak i've had. only one in five is good enough to be called walmart choice premium. tastes like a five star steak. tonight you were actually eating walmart steak. are you serious? wow. scrumdeliumcious. tomorrow will be the day i will buy walmart steaks. walmart choice premium steak in the black package. it's one hundred percent satisfaction guaranteed. try it and check us out on facebook.
3:52 pm
3:53 pm
happy's parole hearing was held behind closed doors but the result was positive. in the next few hours he'll be released from the prison where he spent the last five years of his life. >> hey, take it easy. that's the sound you don't forget, ever. >> what? >> the sound of the doors. he just did something that never happens. he took off all of my cuffs, all of the chains. >> how do you feel right now? >> this is weird because i don't have the handcuffs on and i'm still rubbing my wrists.
3:54 pm
i feel way different right now. it's a process of freedom and i'm nervous because i'm not used to being like this. i'm used to -- i don't feel like normal because i'm used to having the handcuffs on me. >> hey, i don't recognize you, man. >> here's your i.d. this is good for 30 days. >> okay. report monday morning. >> when? >> 8:00. you were supposed to report 24 hours from the parole. >> okay. >> but being that it's saturday it's -- >> okay. now, i'm going to go see my mom. she's out front waiting for me. it's about being responsible now. so a lot of people -- what a lot of people do is they leave here not understanding the consequences. but, i'm fixing to do good. i feel really good right now.
3:55 pm
>> look at you, no handcuffs. no shackles! finally, after six years. >> i missed you, mom. i'm sorry. >> for what? quit saying that. oh. oh. >> i just wanted to thank you for everything you have done because without you, i probably wouldn't have made it out of here. because you gave me hope. >> yes. >> and in there if you ain't got hope, you ain't got nothing, and you ain't got nothing to live for. so, you do what you got to do in prison to live.
3:56 pm
but she gave me hope and everything, so i appreciate it, mom. >> here we are. back together. >> this sham committee that's going to be run on me, this is pretty much a myth that this committee will result in any action. as a result, i'm stranded here at this facility even though i'm not getting misconduct reports or any of those things. >> unlike happy, fredrico is never getting out of prison. and as a validated gang member, possibly the only way he'll leave level 6 is through an out-of-state transfer. >> fredrico, how are you? >> fine. yourself? >> pretty good. i've been reviewing your file. and back in march of 2007, you
3:57 pm
probably remember, you went to committee for a release -- or an out-of-state transfer. >> yes. >> however, i don't find nothing in there whether they approved you or denied you. we're going to do another review. if you'll do me a favor, waiving your 48 hours, and sign here, and initial here because you are here. i wanted to ask you, if you want to go out of state? >> yes. >> okay. another thing i was going to tell you is before i could even submit this to central office, i need to get a medical clearance, okay? sometimes that takes a long time for medical, i don't know why. >> my file has been released for medical five or six different times. so, i've done that. i signed that form five or six different times over the last year. >> oh, really? >> yes. >> because it's not here. maybe it won't take so long and we can hurry the process up. >> great. >> okay. this is what i wrote. custody transfer review. we're referring you for an
3:58 pm
out-of-state transfer. juffles justification is inmate meets criteria with an indefinite sentence. by signing it doesn't mean you agree or disagree, you are informed of our action. we are referring for you an out-of-state transfer. just a recommendation, doesn't mean they have to approve it, however, i think they will. it will take anywhere from, i'm saying from what i've seen in the past, anywhere from three weeks to three months to get an answer. however, then we need to find a state that will accept you. that sometimes takes a long time. we send paperwork to california, and if california will accept you, then, cool. if they deny you, then we have to find another state. >> i'm aware of that. >> it could take a little bit longer to do that. but the approval, i don't see a problem of it being approved immediately. >> okay. >> you can have this part,
3:59 pm
frederico. you have a good day, okay? >> thank you. i was biting my tongue. this is a sham, this committee. this referral, she said there was another out of state referral. she didn't know if anything resulted from that. how would she not know? if the machinery of the corrections department is running smoothly, there would be a trail. obviously there wasn't which means nothing ever happened in the first place, which means this is a sham.

17 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on