Skip to main content

tv   The Last Word  MSNBC  July 1, 2013 10:00pm-11:01pm PDT

10:00 pm
in arizona remains tonight 0% contained. now it's time for "the last word with lawrence o'donnell." thanks for being with us tonight. the battle over women's reproductive freedom continues today in texas. and wendy davis is not backing down. >> women will not be bullied! >> they're bullying women and their liberties. >> it became a national rallying cry. >> this movement, though, is kind of spreading across the country. >> davis's filibuster as a rallying cry for democrats. >> filibustered an anti-abortion bill for 11 hours. >> the intent of the rules is to restrict access to abortion. really plainly and, again, without disguise.
10:01 pm
>> it's not free. and it's not a choice. >> in the eyes of texas, the >> wendy davis. >> wendy davis. >> the heroic wendy davis. >> governor perry's attacks got personal. >> what if her mom had said, i just can't do this? >> that was a terribly personal thing to say. >> she didn't come from particularly good circumstances. >> she went on to graduate from harvard law. >> this is certainly not the last we've heard from wendy davis. >> i guess todd akin was right. >> the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. >> women can shut that whole thing down. ♪ this is a woman's world ♪ ♪ and i'm stronger wendy davis versus rick perry and texas republicans take two. last week state senator wendy davis brought national attention to the senate chamber in austin, texas by successfully killing a republican anti-abortion bill with an 11-hour filibuster that galvanized pro-choice advocates to stand with wendy.
10:02 pm
governor rick perry called the state legislature back for a 30-day special session to try and ram through a new version of the bill. and today an estimated 5,000 people rallied at the state capitol to show they are ready to stand with wendy again. >> they have messed with the way that texas women can get cancer screenings or birth control or even prenatal care. now, i know a great number of us have felt discouraged about the current state of affairs here. some of us have felt mad. today is different, though. don't you feel it? we feel hope! [ cheers ] we can stand up for each other. we can stand up for what's right. and we can stand up for texas. >> this morning rick perry made the rounds of texas conservative radio to attack the people standing with wendy.
10:03 pm
>> never in the history of texas have we had such a response from the gallery, where they literally took over the process. they stopped the democratic process of voting and debate. >> the votes are still there. nothing's changed on this. the question is are you going to let a small group of people take over the process, an unruly mob, to keep democracy from occurring? >> not only are we on the right side of this issue, we're on the vast majority of the people of the state of texas support this, and that's the reason that i called this special session, to address this issue. and a couple others that were killed because of the turmoil and the mob rule antics that we saw. and you know, listen, filibuster is part of the rules. i get that. but the absolute anarchy that we saw in the last 15 minutes out of the senate chamber was not
10:04 pm
appropriate nor normal. >> today in kansas a law signed by governor sam brownback which declares that life begins at fertilization went into effect. and last night in ohio governor john kasich signed into law the state's new budget that cuts funding to planned parenthood and would strip rape crisis centers of their funding if they counsel women about abortion. any abortion options. also in the state budget a provision that would force women to have an ultrasound before an abortion and prohibits women from being transferred to public hospitals if they need additional care after an abortion procedure. joining me now, cecile richards, president of planned parenthood federation of america, and anna marie cox, columnist for "the guardian." cecile, you're back in texas.
10:05 pm
this fight resumes. what strategies do you think are possible for wendy davis now against the governor? >> well, today was an extraordinary day here, lawrence. literally, the legislature came back because much governor perry's trying to push through these bills that are so extreme he couldn't get them down in a regular session. obviously, he couldn't even get them done in the last special session. so he's brought the legislature back one more time again to try to cram them through. and 5,000 people were here waiting. it's been the most extraordinary mobilization that i can remember ever in the state of texas. these bills are so extreme and so unpopular, and folks will be back at the legislature tomorrow to testify at the hearing in the house against these bills. >> let's listen to what the lieutenant governor had to say about the people who are out there protesting. >> thousands of abortion advocates were whipped into a frenzy by the international
10:06 pm
socialist organization, the occupy movement, planned parenthood, and the aclu, to disrupt our legislative session. >> anna marie cox, lumping planned parenthood in there with the international socialist organization, just in case you might think there could be friends of texas in there somewhere. this is -- this fight obviously continues, and the issue is spreading to other states. >> right. well, i'm going to have to calm down for a second, lawrence. i've been whipped into a frenzy, you know. >> yes. >> i'll take a couple breaths. i do actually hope people are excited about this and that the excitement in texas can sort of force people to look at some of the other states that are enacting abortion legislation that's even more restrictive. in ohio you just mentioned governor kasich signing a bill that would close three abortion clinics and, again, shut down rape crisis centers if they even mention abortion. all of these bills just make
10:07 pm
abortions harder and harder to get, which ironically forces women to get them later and later in their term, which is actually something that i think we can all agree is something that we'd like to avoid. the earlier abortions are performed, the more safe they are. and so by doing these restrictions they're actually endangering women's lives. and to this restriction in ohio that keeps these clinics from transferring a woman to a public hospital, i'm kind of flabbergasted that these were able to get through. i think they're able to get through because legislatures don't realize that the world is watching. and so i do -- i'm from texas myself. i like to pay attention to politics there. but i hope people can kind of transfer their vision to some of these other state legislatures. and if we bring attention to them, i do think women will get whipped into a frenzy. and i think when you're in a frenzy sometimes you get stuff done. >> well, on that point of the ohio law, the "cincinnati enquirer," which endorsed john
10:08 pm
mccain for president in 2008, romney in 2012, actually wrote an editorial saying that this new ohio law will -- republicans are putting women at risk. i want to read some of this in detail. they said, "for some reason the republicans in the gop-controlled general assembly think the state budget is the appropriate vehicle to inflame the culture wars anew with a series of restrictions on abortion. the most egregious is a last-minute amendment to require doctors to perform ultrasounds to detect a fetal heartbeat, a back-door effort to avoid public debate on a highly controversial issue. republicans also kept in the budget bill a provision that would ban abortion clinics from entering into transfer agreements with public hospitals. by potentially banning a transfer to a public hospital precisely at the time when women may need advanced medical care, republicans are putting women at risk. cecile richards, there have been
10:09 pm
plenty of times when republicans have said oh, no, no, you're overstating this, we are not putting women at risk. this provision in ohio very clearly puts women at risk, even in the view of a newspaper that has endorsed the last two republican candidates for president. >> absolutely, lawrence. i mean, look, here's the thing. these are bills that are strictly -- that are shutting down health centers for women all across the country. there is bipartisan opposition. it's exactly right that the reason they stuck this at the last minute into the budget was they couldn't get it passed in a regular session because of the overwhelming opposition to that. and that's actually i think what you see in ohio is exactly what we're seeing in texas. look, the reason you're seeing the outpouring of opposition by men and women, republicans and democrats, is that governor perry already shut down more than 60 health centers that provided birth control and cancer screenings in the state of texas the last couple of years. now this new set of bills will shut down dozens more. and folks are simply saying
10:10 pm
enough is enough. these are bills that are absolutely devastating to women's health, both here in texas and in the state of ohio. >> wendy davis told the huffington post today that she thinks some republicans in texas are having second thoughts. let's listen to what she said. i guess we have to read what she said. i'm sorry. it's not on video. she said, "i think that there are certainly some members across the aisle that are giving this a second thought. the reaction that they're seeing, the very organic reaction that they're seeing from across the state of texas i think it's giving some people pause, as it should." and ana marie cox, it is probably giving republicans pause outside of texas as they see the way this plays for the party nationally. >> yes. this doesn't really help their rebranding efforts because this is the kind of issue that -- i should say i'm glad cecile brought it up. this isn't just a women's issue. men care about this issue too. republicans care about this issue. democrats care about this issue. and i think there are a lot of
10:11 pm
republican women out there who see this happening and are upset that their party, who they support for reasons that, you know, aren't related to this, is really taking a step backwards when it comes to women's rights. and i've said this on the show before, lawrence, but this is an economic issue, not a social issue. and it's something you that i think, again, if we can just get these legislatures not to pass these bills sort of in the dark of night and sneak them into things like budgets, i think if you have a national conversation about this you'll find that people support the right to choose. yes, it's an ugly issue. it's something that upsets people. but we've made great strides, you know, for women in this country. and one of them is that we can control our reproductive systems. and i don't think anyone wants to go backwards on that. >> cecile richards, we're going to close with you in texas tonight. and i don't want to turn you into a political pundit. but there is talk of wendy davis running for governor. she said today in a phone interview with nbc news that she cannot rule out running for governor.
10:12 pm
and that would be one solution to this kind of problem, would be to have another woman as the governor of texas. >> well, wendy is an extraordinary senator. she would make an incredible governor. she has an incredible political future, no matter what she decides. and i think there's no way to have looked at the crowd out there today in front of the capitol without imagining more progressive texas. and i think wendy davis is a big part of that. >> cecile richards and ana marie cox, thank you both for joining me tonight. >> thanks, lawrence. >> thank you. coming up, for the first time the jury hears george zimmerman in his own words in the trial today. that's next. and tonight's "rewrite" is about rachel jeantel's testimony in the case last week. and later, new revelations from ed snowden. he broke his silence today. new statements released by him as he remains stuck in the moscow airport.
10:13 pm
what do you drive? i drive a ford fusion. who is healthier, you or your car? i would say my car. probably the car. cause as you get older you start breaking down. i love my car. i want to take care of it. i have a bad wheel - i must say. my car is running quite well. keep your car healthy with the works. $29.95 or less after $10 mail-in rebate at your participating ford dealer. so you gotta take care of yourself? yes you do. you gotta take care of your baby? oh yeah! folks have suffered from frequent heartburn. but getting heartburn and then treating day after day is a thing of the past. block the acid with prilosec otc, and don't get heartburn in the first place.
10:14 pm
[ male announcer ] one pill each morning. 24 hours. zero heartburn. they have no idea what it was like before u-verse high speed internet. yeah, you couldn't just stream movies to a device like that. one time, i had to wait half a day to watch a movie. you watched movies?! i was lucky if i could watch a show. show?! man, i was happy to see a sneezing panda clip! trevor, have you eaten today? you sound a little grumpy. [ laughter ] [ male announcer ] connect all your wi-fi-enabled devices with u-verse high speed internet. rethink possible.
10:15 pm
starting today people in vermont are not criminals for possessing less than an ounce of marijuana. vermont's democratic governor, peter shumlin signed the law last month, replacing criminal penalties with fines just like parking tickets. $200 for first-time offenders and $300 for a second offense of possession. more than an ounce and growing cannabis are still criminal offenses. an aclu report released last month found that african-americans in vermont were four times more likely to be arrested on marijuana charges than white people despite using marijuana at near-equal rates. up next, george zimmerman takes jurors on a tour of the scene where trayvon martin was killed. [ male announcer ] this is kevin.
10:16 pm
to prove to you that aleve is the better choice for him, he's agreed to give it up. that's today? [ male announcer ] we'll be with him all day as he goes back to taking tylenol. i was okay, but after lunch my knee started to hurt again. and now i've got to take more pills. ♪ yup. another pill stop. can i get my aleve back yet? ♪ for my pain, i want my aleve. ♪ [ male announcer ] look for the easy-open red arthritis cap. the house caught fire and we were out on the streets. [ whispering ] shhh. it's only a dream. and we have home insurance. but if we made a claim, our rate would go up... [ whispering ] shhh. you did it right. you have allstate claim rate guard so your rates won't go up just because of a claim.
10:17 pm
[ whispering ] are we still in a dream? no, you're in an allstate commercial. so get allstate home insurance with claim rate guard... [ whispering ] goodnight. there are so many people in our bedroom. [ dennis ] talk to an allstate agent... [ doorbell rings ] ...and let the good life in. the jury finally heard directly from george zimmerman today in his second degree murder trial. george zimmerman has pled not guilty, claiming self-defense. and while it's still unknown whether he will take the witness stand in his own defense, the prosecution allowed jurors to hear george zimmerman telling his side of the story by playing a videotaped re-enactment of the incident. the sanford police department recorded this video the day after george zimmerman shot and killed trayvon martin. >> i was walking back to my truck, and when i got to right about here he yelled from behind me, side of me. he said, "yo, you got a
10:18 pm
problem?" i turned around and i said no, i don't have a problem, man. >> where was he at? >> he was about there. but he was walking towards me. >> this direction here? >> yes, sir. like i said, i was already past that. so i didn't see exactly where he came from. but he was about where you are. and i said, "i don't have a problem." and i went to get my cell phone. i had left it in a different pocket. i looked down at my pants pocket. and he said, "you got a problem now." and he was here. and he punched me in the face. >> right here? >> right up around here. >> okay. >> to be honest with you, i don't remember exactly. i think i stumbled and i fell down. he pushed me down. somehow he got on top of me. >> on the grass or on the cement? >> it was more over toward here. i think i was trying to push him away from me and then he got on top of me somewhere around here.
10:19 pm
and that's when i started screaming for help. i started screaming "help." as loud as i could. and then is when he grabbed -- oh, i tried to sit up, and that's when he grabbed me by the head and tried to slam my head down. >> were you on the cement or were you -- >> no, my body was on the grass. my head was on the cement. >> [ inaudible ]. >> yes, sir. that's the best as i could feel on my jacket. i felt like my body was on the grass and my head was on the cement. and he just kept slamming and slamming. and i kept yelling "help. help. help." he put his hand on my nose and his other hand on my mouth. he said "shut the [ bleep ] up." and i tried squirming again because all i could think about was when he was hitting my head, it felt like my head was going
10:20 pm
to explode. and i thought i was going to lose consciousness. so i tried to squirm so that i could get -- he only had a small portion of my head on the concrete. so i tried to squirm off the concrete. and when i did that, somebody here opened the door. and i said, "help me. help me." and they said, "i'll call 911." i said, "no, help me. i need help." and i don't know what they did. but that's when my jacket moved up. and i had my -- my firearm on my right side hip. my jacket moved up. and he saw it. i feel like he saw it. he looked at it. he said, "you're going to die tonight, [ bleep ]." and he reached for it but i reached -- like i felt his arm going down to my side. and i grabbed it and i just grabbed my firearm and shot him. one time. >> the prosecution's key witness today was chris serinno, the lead investigator in the zimmerman case.
10:21 pm
serino originally recommended that george zimmerman be charged with manslaughter two days after that walk-through. serino and detective doris singleton questioned zimmerman again. the prosecution played that video for the jury. i was like i don't have a problem and i started backing away from him. >> but you kind of did have a problem. that's why you were following him, right? you had a concern with him. and i was scared. >> you were scared to tell him you had a concern? that you -- >> neighborhood watch? were you afraid to tell him that? >> yes, sir. >> i man i'm not trying to put you on the spot but these are the questions i'm going to be asking and you have to answer. it seems like the perfect opportunity to say look i'm with the neighborhood watch and i don't recognize you. are you staying here? >> like i said he came up out of nowhere. i didn't see him, i was walking back to my car. thinking i was going to meet a police officer there. so when he popped up he just caught me off guard.
10:22 pm
i didn't think -- >> but can you see how maybe you frightened him? >> what do you mean? on -- >> yeah. you were watching him. okay? >> i didn't -- >> he sees you, he walks up to your car, correct? >> yes, ma'am. >> he was making it clear to you, i recognize you're following me. >> i didn't know if he was doing that or he was doubling back or he was doing -- >> later serino reviewed george zimmerman's claim that trayvon martin tried to smother him. >> he was on you, correct? >> yes. >> and you were able to reach for your holster. >> yes. >> you shot him at point blank range. he was right on top of you, right? >> yes. >> and through all that yelling nobody came out to help you. i can't pinpoint where you were smothered. that's the problem i'm having. and nobody's saying they saw him smothering you.
10:23 pm
people are saying they saw someone on top of you but they didn't see that smothering part. >> when you're listening to the screaming it doesn't sound like there's a hesitation in screaming. it sounds like it's continuous. if someone's screaming help, it's going to stop. but we don't hear it stop. >> we'll have analysis of all today's testimony next. etting or some things are harder to do. this is not a safe thing to do. be careful babe. there should be some way to make it easier [ doorbell rings ] let's open it up and see what's cookin'. oh i like that. look at this it's got a handle on it. i don't have to climb up. this yellow part up here really catches a lot of the dust. did you notice how clean it looks? morty are you listening? morty? [ morty ] i'm listening! i want you to know
10:24 pm
the ones getting involved and staying engaged. they're not afraid to question the path they're on. because the one question they never want to ask is "how did i end up here?" i started schwab for those people. people who want to take ownership of their investments, like they do in every other aspect of their lives. ♪
10:25 pm
honey, is he too into this car thing? [ mumbling ] definitely the quattro. ♪ honey? huh? a5. what? [ sighs ] did you say something? ♪
10:26 pm
10:27 pm
you had an issue with whether or not his rendition of getting hit dozens of times were supported by the forensic evidence of his injuries, correct? >> in my view, yes. >> yeah. >> they were lacking. >> would you agree that there were numerous different bruisings and injuries on both sides of his scalp first? >> there were injuries. however, based on the way i'd view them as a major crimes investigator who's seen injuries a lot worse than that, i didn't consider them life-threatening. >> that was defense attorney mark o'mara cross-examining chris serino on day 6 of testimony in the trifle george zimmerman. today we heard george zimmerman's story as he told it to police on the night of the shooting and as he retold it during a second interview with the lead detective, chris
10:28 pm
serino, days later. joining me now, yamish alcindor, a reporter for "usa today" who was in the courtroom today and faith jenkins, a former criminal prosecutor. faith, that last point that we just heard chris serino make, where he said he didn't consider george zimmerman's injuries life-threatening, that could be a crucial element here for the jury because you don't get to shoot somebody in this country because you get punched in the nose. >> that's right. and that's exactly what the prosecutors are going to argue. one of the questions the jurors will have to answer is are george zimmerman's injuries significant enough to justify shooting trayvon martin? we know he has some injuries. so we know there was some contact. but did he turn a fistfight into a gun fight just because he could? the state is going to argue that's exactly what he did, a reasonable person in his situation could not have
10:29 pm
believed that they were about to suffer death or serious physical injury based on the injuries that he suffered. the state's going to argue they're just not significant enough and they're going to ask the jurors to decide that george zimmerman did not act reasonably when he shot and killed trayvon martin. >> yamish, every jury wants to hear from the defendant, but this is a case where it's -- speculation is running higher every day that this defendant may not testify. this may be the jury's only chance to actually listen to him tell his story, is via this video. what was your impression in the courtroom today about the way the jury followed the video testimony -- the video presentation? >> so like you said, the jury may not hear from george zimmerman. so this was their real chance to hear george zimmerman. he's been in court, but this is their first chance to really think about what he said about that night. and usually, they're leaning and
10:30 pm
they're taking notes. this time i didn't see any pens moving. i saw everyone's head staring at the projector. i saw everyone staring at george zimmerman telling people, telling, as you say, police officers what happened that night. and juror -- the whole jury was just looking at this projector for a really long time. and there were at least an hour probably of recordings of george zimmerman, and the whole time the jury was focused on him they were really, really paying attention, close attention in a way i haven't really seen them do before. >> a lot was made today about george zimmerman using the word "suspect" when he was talking about trayvon martin. let's listen to doris singleton talking to him about that. >> when i headed back to my vehicle -- i'm sorry. it's as i headed back to my vehicle, the suspect emerged from the darkness and said, you got a problem?"
10:31 pm
i said no. the suspect said, "you do now." >> we're going to move on to page 3. but let me just stop you before you read that, and we're going to highlight -- go ahead. the first part. again, he uses the word "suspect" to refer to trayvon martin. have you uttered those words or have you informed him in any way that's the word he's supposed to use to refer to trayvon martin? >> no. >> faith, i've got to say, i didn't see what the big deal was about george zimmerman using the word "suspect." at that point he didn't know his name. trayvon martin was in zimmerman's mind according to his story a suspect. do you think there's much significance in that? >> i actually do. there are a number of words he could have used to describe trayvon besides suspect. young man, individual, person. but he chose to use suspect. and that's a window into his mind. in that same statement he also said "they usually get away." he assumed that trayvon martin was about to commit a crime or
10:32 pm
committed a crime. and he wrongly -- he made that assumption wrongly. trayvon martin was not doing anything wrong. but he attached to him an attitude that he had towards other individuals who he previously had seen in this neighborhood who he thought they were suspicious and up to no good and he made the same assumption about trayvon. he said they usually get away. this time, however, he didn't because he followed trayvon. >> yamiche, i kept looking at george zimmerman's story today, as we have in the past, looking for some possible reason for trayvon martin, an incentive for trayvon martin to do what george zimmerman said he did if -- and it's hard to find it in zimmerman's own account. i mean, this is the tragedy of not having trayvon martin here to tell his story. but it seems like that's a difficult moment for the jury to make sense of, is why would trayvon martin turn around, according to george zimmerman's
10:33 pm
story, and somehow find his way back to surprise the guy who's been following him, someone who he didn't want following him? >> i mean, i think that's a huge question that the jury is going to have to answer and have to deal with. prosecutors today, when they were playing the tapes of george zimmerman's statements to police, doris singleton says to zimmerman, you know, he was -- you were following him. do you think that trayvon might have been scared of you? and you know, why do you think he would do this? zimmerman basically didn't really have a hard answer as to why he thought trayvon would punch him in the nose. so i think the jury's really going to have to look at that and make their own decision. but both these officers said they believed george zimmerman, that he didn't look like he had anger or ill will toward trayvon martin. so i think there's that double-edged sword because the jury also heard from officers who say that this is a believable guy. so i think it's going to be a
10:34 pm
tough decision for them. >> and in addition to that, faith, there's just the very fact that george zimmerman is fully cooperative with the police officers at every stage of their inquiry. he doesn't lawyer up. he doesn't seem to be at that stage concerned about his own liability. >> right. and mark o'mara has done a great job getting the maximum amount of usage out of these state witnesses. he cross-examined these officers, and he used that as an opportunity to show that george zimmerman never asked for an attorney, he gave all of these statements voluntarily, when they asked him to come back to the police station he showed up. there was no animus. there was no anger. he completely cooperated. they're going to get up and argue in summations he did that because he had nothing to hide, he only shot trayvon because that's what he had to do. >> and yamiche, as we go forward here, when you keep an eye on the jury, are there moments where you can tell they are more intensely engaged than others?
10:35 pm
>> i think when they're listening to george zimmerman, especially when they're watching him, they're really, really engaged. one juror today, i talked to her -- i talked about her before. her name's e-6, we refer to her as e-6. she's a woman who sits in the jury box. and she acts basically -- i couldn't really hear all the interviews. i couldn't hear all the recordings. what are we going to do about that? and judge nelson said you can take those into the deliberation room with you and listen to them then. so you have jurors that are really asking already for questions. >> yamic hechlt alcindor and faith jenkins, thanks for joining us tonight. >> thank you. >> thanks. coming up, the o'reilly factor is in the "rewrite" again tonight because of the factor's coverage of the testimony of trayvon martin's friend, rachel jeantel, last week. and next, lady gaga's rewrite of the national anthem. for all those who sleep too hot or too cool,
10:36 pm
for all those who sleep and struggle to sleep comfortably together, now there's a solution. the company that individualized your comfort with the sleep number bed is now
10:37 pm
introducing sleep number dual temp, the revolutionary temperature-balancing layer with active air technology that works on any mattress, including yours. whether you sleep hot or cool sleep number dual temp allows each of you to select your ideal temperature. so you can both sleep exactly the way you like-at your own perfect temperature. and there's only one place in the world you'll find an entire collection of temperature-balancing solutions-including the revolutionary new sleep number dual temp layer-designed to give you the soundest sleep of your life: a sleep number store near you. sleep number. comfort individualized. visit sleepnumber.com to find one of our over 400 sleep number stores nationwide.
10:38 pm
vietnam in 1972. [ all ] fort benning, georgia in 1999. [ male announcer ] usaa auto insurance is often handed down from generation to generation. because it offers a superior level of protection and because usaa's commitment to serve military members, veterans, and their families is without equal. begin your legacy, get an auto insurance quote. usaa. we know what it means to serve. at the end of the week that the supreme court overturned the defense of marriage act lady gaga headlined the new york city gay pride rally friday night,
10:39 pm
which begins pride weekend. she sang the national anthem and tweaked the lyrics just a bit. ♪ gave proof to the night ♪ that our flag was still there ♪ ♪ oh, say does that star spangled flag of pride yet wave ♪ [ cheers and applause ] ♪ o'er the land of the free ♪ and the home for the gay >>
10:40 pm
coming up, ed snowden breaks his silence today in moscow. and next in "the rewrite," the o'reilly factor is wrong again. which of course is no surprise to the audience of "the o'reilly factor." i would say my car. probably the car. cause as you get older you start breaking down. i love my car. i want to take care of it. i have a bad wheel - i must say. my car is running quite well. keep your car healthy with the works. $29.95 or less after $10 mail-in rebate at your participating ford dealer. so you gotta take care of yourself? yes you do. you gotta take care of your baby? oh yeah!
10:41 pm
as soon as you feel it, weigh you down? try miralax. it works differently than other laxatives.
10:42 pm
it draws water into your colon to unblock your system naturally. don't wait to feel great. miralax. take the miralax pledge to feel better sooner. get a reward like a beauty treatment, a dance class or a $5 gift card with purchase of a specially marked pack. go to miralax.com for details. in tonight's "rewrite," the soft bigotry of low expectations. today the smart crest thing i read about the trial of george zimmerman was a tweet about last week's testimony. those who wanted to understand rachel jeantel did. those who wanted to demean her found their path. bill o'reilly's substitute host last week did not try very hard to understand rachel jeantel. >> we have to excuse her poor manners, her disrespectful language, and clocky ignorance because she's black?
10:43 pm
left-wing elites fall over themselves to avoid criticizing behavior among black youth that they would never tolerate from most upper crust white kids. like the use of the n word or the f word or the c word. oh, when that happens, just chill out. this is an example of what daniel patrick moynihan called the soft bigotry of low expectations. >> ah, where to begin? now, i didn't see rachel jeantel's poor manners. but then i'm no judge of manners. i didn't grow up in a world of manners. i was never really taught manners. and yes, i've been told many times that my manners are poor. but i've never been told that in the neighborhood where i grew up where the manners judgers just aren't so strict. but really, is the "o'reilly factor" an appropriate forum to be giving lectures on manners? >> hold it. because i'm getting teed off at you. give me one damn program he said he cut.
10:44 pm
>> he has cut entitlements -- >> what entitlements? what program? >> what do you want to yell -- >> [ muted ]. because you're lying. >> i'm not lying. don't sit there and call me a liar. >> you're lying. >> here's the thing. if you don't like the president, you don't like what he's doing, but don't sit there and call me a liar. >> i am. >> ah, yes. the manners of "the o'reilly factor." laura ingram says left-wing elites have lower expectations for black kids than they do for upper-crust white kids. that's her phrase. "upper-crust white kids." what the -- what is an upper-crust white kid? who is she talking about? and who is she talking to? she says upper-crust white kids don't use the f word? i have never known a white kid of any crust who doesn't use the f word. i've heard white harvard professors use the f word.
10:45 pm
but i guess they aren't upper crust white harvard professors. i've heard the king of fox news himself use the f word. >> we'll do it live! [ bleep ]. do it live! i'll write it and we'll do it live! [ bleep ] thing sucks! >> but i guess, you know, he wasn't an upper-crust white kid. and by the way, how many upper-crust white kids can speak haitian creole, which is rachel jeantel's original language, and spanish and english, her second and third languages? that's two more languages than the host of "the o'reilly factor" can speak. laura ingraham really thinks upper-crust white kids don't use the f word. really? does that mean that lower-crust white kids do and middle-crust white kids do use the f word?
10:46 pm
and do they use such horrible language because we have low expectations for non-upper-crust white kids? are lower-crust white kids also the victims of the soft bigotry of low expectations? >> this is an example of what daniel patrick moynihan called the soft bigotry of low expectations. >> except he didn't. daniel patrick moynihan never, ever said those words. laura ingraham washz he did because senator moynihan had a very liberal voting record in the senate and right-wingers love to bolster their arguments by quoting liberals whenever possible, just like i like to quote ronald reagan on progressive income taxation and banning assault weapons. the soft bigotry of low expectations is, as most of you
10:47 pm
know, a very famous phrase from a very famous politician way, way more famous than senator moynihan. and that politician repeatedly used the phrase in both of his successful campaigns for president. >> i will confront another form of bias. the soft bigotry of low expectations. >> this principle is challenging the soft bigotry of low expectations. >> how could the o'reilly factor get that so wrong? how could laura ingraham attribute that very famous line to anyone but george w. bush or michael gerson, the speechwriter who has publicly claimed credit for putting those words in president bush's mouth? one way to get it so wrong is to use a couple of right-wing websites as your source for that
10:48 pm
quote because they obliviously attribute it for some weird reason to senator moynihan. michael gerson tells the story of how he got bush to use that phrase in gerson's book about putting words in bush's teleprompter. this is not a hard fact to find or even hard to remember bush saying it, as i have always easily remembered. but no one expects fox news to get the facts right. not even loyal fox news viewers. "the o'reilly factor" has been proven wrong to them on facts countless times, with or without a guest host. being wildly wrong on facts is not a problem for the "factor" because when it comes to getting the facts write the "factor" audience has learned to have very low expectations.
10:49 pm
with the spark miles card from capital one, bjorn earns unlimited rewards for his small business. take these bags to room 12 please. [ garth ] bjorn's small business earns double miles on every purchase every day. produce delivery. [ bjorn ] just put it on my spark card. [ garth ] why settle for less? ahh, oh! [ garth ] great businesses deserve unlimited rewards. here's your wake up call. [ male announcer ] get the spark business card from capital one and earn unlimited rewards. choose double miles or 2% cash back on every purchase every day. what's in your wallet? [ crows ] now where's the snooze button?
10:50 pm
the house caught fire and we were out on the streets. [ whispering ] shhh. it's only a dream. and we have home insurance. but if we made a claim, our rate would go up... [ whispering ] shhh. you did it right. you have allstate claim rate guard so your rates won't go up just because of a claim. [ whispering ] are we still in a dream? no, you're in an allstate commercial. so get allstate home insurance with claim rate guard... [ whispering ] goodnight. there are so many people in our bedroom. [ dennis ] talk to an allstate agent... [ doorbell rings ] ...and let the good life in. south african president jacob zuma released a new statement on the condition of nelson mandela. president nelson mandela is still in critical but stable condition in pretoria. we remind all south africans to begin planning for madiba's birthday on the 18th of july. we must all be able to do something good for humanity on this day in tribute to our former president.
10:51 pm
up next, ed snowden breaks his silence today. la's known definitely for its traffic, congestion, for it's smog. but there are a lot of people that do ride the bus. and now that the busses are running on natural gas, they don't throw out as much pollution to the earth. so i feel good. i feel like i'm doing my part to help out the environment. the ones getting involved and staying engaged. they're not afraid to question the path they're on. because the one question they never want to ask is "how did i end up here?" i started schwab for those people. people who want to take ownership of their investments,
10:52 pm
like they do in every other aspect of their lives. lookin' good, flo! feelin' good! feelin' real good!
10:53 pm
[ engine revs ] boat protection people love. now, that's progressive. call or click today.
10:54 pm
we have gone through regular law enforcement channels in enforcing the extradition requests that we've made with respect to mr. snowden. and that's been true with all the countries that have been involved, including russia. and so there have been high-level discussions with the russians about trying to find a solution. >> today after a week of silence edward snowden released a statement from the moscow airport through wikileaks reading in part, "although i am convicted of nothing, the obama administration has unilaterally revoked my passport leaving me a
10:55 pm
stateless person. without any judicial order the administration now seeks to stop me exercising a basic right, a right that belongs to everybody, the right to seek asylum." reuters reports tonight that ed snowden wrote this in an undated letter to the president of ecuador. "i remain free and able to publish information that serves the public interest." on friday vice president joe biden called the ecuador president and asked him to deny snowden's asylum request. today russian president vladimir putin said if he wants to go somewhere "and there are those who would take him, he is welcome to do so. if he wants to stay here, there is one condition. he must stop his activities aimed at inflicting damage on our american partners." based on documents edward snowden supplied, "der spiegel" revealed over the weekend that the nsa spied on european union representatives in washington and brussels.
10:56 pm
president obama addressed that report today. >> what i've said is to my team take a look at this article, figure out what they may or may not be talking about and then what we'll do is we'll communicate to our applies appropriately. every intelligence service, not just ours but every european intelligence service, every asian intelligence service, wherever there's an intelligence service, here's one thing that they're going to be doing. they're going to be trying to understand the world better and what's going on in world capitals around the world. from sources that aren't available through "the new york times" or nbc news. >> joining me now, former assistant secretary of state for public affairs and now a professor of -- at george washington university, p.j. crowley. p.j. crowley, snowden's statement from moscow today seems absolutely outraged that after he has publicly confessed to a crime that the united
10:57 pm
states is trying to apprehend him. >> well, the united states would like to have him appear before a court and answer serious charges regarding his disclosure of classified information. the united states government issues travel documents. the united states government upon an indictment, upon cause, is within its right to revoke those travel documents. >> he said in the statement today, he said "on thursday president obama declared before the world that he would not permit any diplomatic wheeling and dealing over my case. yet now it is being reported that after promising not to do so the president ordered his vice president to pressure the leaders of nations from which i have requested protection to deny my asylum petitions. this kind of deception from a world leader is not justice." this kind of deception is something we know about because the vice president told us that he, you know, was telling ecuador don't allow him in there.
10:58 pm
>> sure. i mean, mr. snowden has a right to pursue a case of asylum. and if he convinces a government to let him travel there, that's within his right. by the same token, he has an open invitation to return to the united states and answer these serious charges, and we'll wait and see what he does. >> he wrote a letter to the president of ecuador saying, among other things, "i must express my deep respect for your principles." surely, he does not mean all of the principles of that regime. but to get to the substance of what he's now released in the latest release, the notion that the united states is trying to pick up information on very friendly countries, european countries, what do you make of that revelation? >> well, as the president said, we have intelligence services, and they help us understand the world. you know, i'm sitting, you know,
10:59 pm
in front of the u.s. capitol, and i strongly suspect that there are scores of intelligence operatives here in washington who are doing the very same thing that we do elsewhere, which is find out what's going on within this government and report back to their own. >> how much mop-up is going to be involved here? there have been a lot of outrage expressed from european capitals over this. >> sure. i think within government they understand that, you know, countries conduct espionage operations. the public is upset about this because the issues do touch on issues of privacy and europe and the united states have different views on privacy and different calculations in terms of conceding some privacy in return, you know, for extra security. i strongly suspect that over time this will be effectively managed and just as we did with wikileaks two years ago.
11:00 pm
george zimmerman tells his story and republicans bash hillary as too old. let's play "hardball." good evening. i'm chris matthews back in washington. and in a moment, republicans attack hillary for being just too darn old to be president. well, isn't that special. and just so you know what they think of women's judgment generally, look what they're up to down in texas. but first on "hardball," an update on the biggest trial in the country can, who is winning the trial, and what does the prosecution want the jury to believe that what happened in those critical moments when trayvon martin came face-to-face with george zimmerman. is the prosecution making its case? is it convincing the jury that what it said happened that night did, are its witnesses delivering on their promise? are they meeting that standard

58 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on