Skip to main content

tv   Weekends With Alex Witt  MSNBC  July 13, 2013 9:00am-11:01am PDT

9:00 am
a different kind over what's called a nuclear option that is already prompting some ugly scenes in the senate. and dog walking, not exactly where you might usually find a pet. several stories above the ground. we'll show you what happened there. it's high noon in the east, 9:00 in the west. i'm richard lui in for alex today. it's day two of jury deliberations in the george zimmerman trial. jurors deliberated for 6 1/2 hours and are just starting their one-hour lunch break right now. the all-female panel is deciding whether to find him guilty of second-degree murder, guilty of manslaughter, or acquit him on all charges. joining me here in new york city is msnbc legal analyst, leas a bloom and msnbc's craig melvin is outside of the courtroom in sanford, for us. craig, have you seen more activity on the ground over the last 24 hours? i know you were saying that you've seen a maximum of three people, at least, up until yesterday. >> reporter: yesterday we saw
9:01 am
some demonstrators and today we have seen more demonstrators. i would say about 75% of the demonstrators are with a group, especially with justice for trayvon, trayvon martin. and there are actually a handful of folks who are demonstrating in front of the courthouse right now, who are holding signs, holding posters, holding posters in support of george zimmerman as well. so we have seen an uptick in the number of demonstrators, when i say uptick, richard, i'd put the count at this point, at about 30, maybe more cameras more reporters than actual protesters. you indicated that the jury right now just started their lunch break, 3 1/2 hours yesterday, three hours this morning. they'll take a lunch break until 1:00, and at that point, we're told they'll begin deliberating again. so far this morning, no questions. the jury has not indicated that they have an additional question for judge nelson, unlike yesterday, when they had that one question. they wanted the judge to provide an inventory of the evidence. >> and craig, deliberations will continue through today and
9:02 am
tomorrow, or is there the possibility they might take a day off? how will that work? >> judge nelson will leave that up to the jury. she has indicated that she will let the jury decide how long they deliberate into the night. she's also going to let them decide whether they deliberate tomorrow or perhaps take sunday off. however, having followed this jury for a few weeks now, i can tell you that when given the opportunity, typically, this jury has said, we want to continue. we want to plow through this. there was only one exception to that. that was the day before yesterday when they said, we want a lunch break. but anytime before that, when judge nelson has said, do you want a bathroom break or do you want to go to lunch early, they said, no, let's keep going. another indication will be later this afternoon into the evening, whether the jury says, you know, what, 5:00, we want to stop. if they continue to go into the night, there are a lot of folks on the ground, i've talked to a couple of attorneys who say that could be a sign that they're a little closer to reaching a verdict. >> craig, stand by. i want to bring in lisa to this.
9:03 am
what do you think about the timing so far and how long might this go? >> i think it's safe to say at this point, it's not going to be a quick verdict. it's already been over six hours. a lot of people predicted it's going to be very fast, going to be a defense verdict. mark o'mara in his closing arguments suggested to the jury they should come back with a very speedy verdict, and of course for the defense, i think we're past the point where we could that could have happened. now they're really digging in. they're entrenched. there's real give and take going on in that jury room between different sides. it will be interesting to see how it turns out. >> you had said earlier that it might be quick, but it's changed. >> you never know, once you submit a case to a jury. when i have clients and they're going into trial, you can't predict. take six people from the community at random, you don't now how they're going to view a case. >> what sort of concerns or questions might you expect coming up maybe today or tomorrow that may come from the jury, out to the judge there? >> i can only assume they're mulling over the same questions that everybody's been looking at
9:04 am
in this case. is it self-defense or is it murder or manslaughter? what does the evidence support? we know that yesterday, they asked for an inventory of the evidence. obviously, a very good sign that they're going to go through the evidence, piece by piece, methodically, or perhaps there's a dispute about one piece of evidence. so they wanted to look it up. oh, it's number 17. let's pull it out, examine it, see who's right here. as long as they're basing their verdict on the evidence, i think we can be satisfied. >> so much to pull from, what do you think might be resonating in their conversations? >> it has to be the closing arguments. that's the last thing they heard before they went in and parts of those closing arguments were so dramatic. many people felt that the defense closing argument was solid hitting on reasonable doubt, which is clearly their strongest point. but both closing arguments, you know, missed the strongest that the other side had to offer, in my opinion. the defense really almost didn't touch at all on the prosecution's web of lies theory. all of the very significant lies that george zimmerman told, some less significant, some more significant. but the defense really just glossed right over that and said, well, people tell a story
9:05 am
over and over again. of course, it's going to change a little bit. and that's true. but some of the lies were about bigger subjects, about whether he followed trayvon martin or whether he was looking for a street sign. >> the prosecution and their ability or inability to put together a narrative, is that because of the data that was available to them? >> some people say, look, they had to make their closing based on the evidence. they didn't have strong evidence, so they couldn't really do it. i don't see that. i think the prosecution could have put forward a stronger closing argument based on the evidence. for example, the positioning of the gun and the holster, which was back inside the rear of george zimmerman's pants. the defense attorney did mention that in his closing argument, but hep didn't do a real strong visual representation. he didn't play the video, slow it down frame by frame, for the jury, like some would have done. >> if they didn't have that data, why didn't they use some of the more emotional arguments they might have? >> that's always a judgment call. and prosecution is generally more passionate and emotional than the defense is.
9:06 am
but that's what the prosecution chose to do and maybe it will work. they know this community. i want to emphasize, i practice in new york and l.a., they practice in sanford, florida. they know that area. >> craig, how will we find out a decision if they do finish their deliberations today. what will that process look like? >> 15 minutes, richard lui. that's the amount of time, that's the heads up that we will be given. initially they said we might get about 60 minutes, but that was before the attorneys for both the state and the defense indicated that they are going to remain here at the courthouse until a verdict is reached. we should also know that trayvon martin's parents, and the attorneys for that family, also here, waiting at the courthouse, so the courthouse officials decided if all of the parties involved are here already, there really won't be a need to give an hour of a heads up. 15 minutes is what we're told, and we are also going to be tweeting that information as well. >> two friendly and familiar faces for us when it comes to verdict watch, craig melvin and
9:07 am
lisa bolloom, we'll talk to youn a little bit. we'll discuss the impacts of the closing arguments with our legal panel in about 30 minutes. we are on verdict watch right here at msnbc. be sure to stay with us for the very latest in the george zimmerman trial. now to another story developing today. this one in texas. a drawn-out battle over access to abortion is entering another crucial phase. texas, now set to become the next state to adopt one of the most restrictive abortion bills in the country, after a late-night session, the senate passed a bill that will ban abortions after 20 weeks among several restrictions. the bill now goes to governor rick perry, who is poised to sign that. inside and outside of the state capital in austin, both sides of the debate voiced their own opinions, including one protester who was carried out of the chamber. >> because women's lives are on the line! >> birdwell? duncan? >> i want to be able to have the option of getting an abortion. it's my choice and no one else's. >> we're going to push it all
9:08 am
the way to the point where abortion is called what it really is, which is the murder of a child. and that's murder, that should be illegal. >> nbc's charles hadlock is in austin. good day to you, charles. walk us through the bill and what this may mean to women who want to have an abortion there? >> the republican senate voted late into the night to approve these new restrictions that would limit abortions to 20 weeks of pregnancy. the bill would also restrict abortions at ambulatory -- they would have to be at ambulatory centers within 30 miles of a hospital that a doctor is affiliated with. and supporters say that this is a bill that is all meant to improve the safety of health care for women in texas. but critics of this bill say it does quite the opposite, that it will limit abortions in texas and that 41 of the state's abortion clinics would be
9:09 am
whittled down to about five left after this bill takes place, some time in september. so a lot of people are upset about this bill, but it passed overwhelming in the senate. all of the republicans, except for one, who was absent, and all but one of the democrats -- this bill -- last -- >> charles hadlock there for us in austin, texas. it looks like we had some technical difficultti tdifficul. if we can solve that, we'll get back to him. thanks, charles hadlock, for the very latest out of austin, texas, that limits that bill to 20 weeks in terms of that limitation for abortions there in the state of texas. to politics now, and new today, president obama stepping up his push for comprehensive immigration reform. the senate passed its immigration bill two weeks ago and the president is pressuring the house to do the same. >> if democrats and republicans, including president bush and i can agree on something, that's a pretty good place to start.
9:10 am
now the house needs to act so i can sign common sense immigration reform into law. >> the president was referring to former president george w. bush speaking earlier this week, highlighting the importance of immigration reform. also, president obama is praising janet napolitano for her work as secretary of homeland security. napolitano announced friday she'll be stepping down from the position in about six weeks to take over as president of the university of california system. meanwhile, former florida governor jeb bush and florida senator, marco rubio, will be speaking today at the annual maverick pac three-day conference in miami. the organization's goal is to engage young republicans in the political process. and in orlando, the naacp kicks off its 104th national convention today. it runs through wednesday. let's get you some weather. where the weekend is kicking off right now. and we get some wet starts for some parts of the country. the southeast, residents there are dealing with remnants of tropical storm chantal.
9:11 am
this is the scene in north carolina, where heavy downpours there have caused severe flooding. in arizona, you could say the opposite problem there. no rain, but a huge dust storm, quite a picture there. and let's go right to dylan dreyer for the weather across the country. dylan, a day of opposites, i guess. >> yes, that's for sure. and heat right in the middle of the country. for today, anyway. we are going to see it get up to about 100 degrees later on today across parts of the plains, well it is already well into the 80s and 90s. san antonio at 90 degrees right now. boston's only at 70, though. it is still very humid in the northeast, but not nearly as warm as it has been. you can see those showers making their way onshore. it is the remnants of what was tropical storm chantal. that is because it's tropical in nature, going to produce some heavier downpours, especially across parts of northern florida, where you can see some thunderstorms and also across the coast of both north and south carolina, and into the southeast coast of georgia as well. so heavy downpours likely in the southeast today. we also could see some stronger
9:12 am
storms develop across the dakotas and into west central parts of minnesota. biggest threat would be for some wind gusts and some isolated large hail. but you could see right into the middle of the country, from southwest nebraska into kansas and oklahoma and texas, temperatures will be above 100 degrees, but then tomorrow, we are going to see it cool back down into the 80s. in fact, by the time we get into monday, the middle of the country will be about 20 degrees below normal, with temperatures only into the 70s, and possibly lots of rain out that way, but in the northeast, we're going to get into another heat wave. by sunday, new york city should hit 88 degrees and by monday, we're looking at most of the northeast to be back into the 90s. that comes with the humidity, too. so it is going to get very uncomfortable for most of next week. but, it is july. richard? >> it is july. those amazing pictures, there, out of that dust storm in arizona, right? i was thinking of the favorite word of one al roker, he loves to call those haboobs. >> they are haboobs. insert chuckle here. >> we had to quote him there.
9:13 am
>> funny rove lung function. unlike most copd medications, advair contains both an anti-inflammatory and a long-acting bronchodilator working together to help improve your lung function all day. advair won't replace fast-acting inhalers for sudden symptoms and should not be used more than twice a day. people with copd taking advair may have a higher chance of pneumonia. advair may increase your risk of osteoporosis and some eye problems. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking advair. ask your doctor if including advair could help improve your lung function. [ male announcer ] advair diskus fluticasone propionate and salmeterol inhalation powder.
9:14 am
get your first prescription free and save on refills at advaircopd.com. these are sandra's "homemade" yummy, scrumptious bars. hmm? i just wanted you to eat more fiber. chewy, oatie, gooeyness... and fraudulence. i'm in deep, babe. you certainly are. [ male announcer ] fiber one. i'm in deep, babe. you certainly are. i wanted to ask you a couple questions.card. i've got nothing to hide. my bill's due today and i haven't paid yet. you can pay up 'til midnight online or by phone the day it's due. got a witness to verify that? just you. you called me. ok, that checks out. at discover, we treat you like you'd treat you. get the it card with payment flexibility.
9:15 am
having necessary school supplies can mean the difference between success and failure. the day i start, i'm already behind. i never know what i'm gonna need. new school, new classes, new kids. it's hard starting over. to help, sleep train is collecting school supplies for local foster children. bring your gift to any sleep train, and help a foster child start the school year right. not everyone can be a foster parent, but anyone can help a foster child.
9:16 am
some furry over the future of the filibuster has all 100 senators scheduled to meet monday for a rare, special closed door caucus. it's part of an effort to temper the fight over a rule change proposed by harry reid will that allow nominations to pass with a simple majority. it sparked heated words. take a listen. >> no matter how often mie friend rudely talks about me not breaking my word, i'm not going to respond talking about how many times he's broken his word.
9:17 am
>> this is a sad day for the united states senate and if we don't pull back from the brink here, my friend the majority leader will be remembered add the worst leader of the senate ever. >> strong words there. joining us is rachel bade and reid wilson. we've talked about this battle before. the issue of the nuclear option and senator reid has brought it up in previous sessions. will it happen this time? will it happen on tuesday? >> the thing that's different in pref previous senates is the fact the caucus is changing. there's older democrats to guys like chris murphy who replaced leiberman. michael bennett in colorado. jeff murkley in oregon. there's in new generation of
9:18 am
democrats who are chafing at the slow pace of action. they are pushing this rule change and democratic leaders who have been a little weary are being pushed by a growing section of their caucus. harry reid says he has 51 votes to change the rules. >> you think it will happen? >> i think there will be a bull back from the brink now. this is an option. it would destroy whatever commonty is left in the senate. as you saw during the debate on friday there isn't much of it left. >> both sides know depends who is in power as reid was discussing there. one compromise that's been floated is he let some of the seven nominees do forward but the senate leader said we don't like that. >> that's exactly right. i think even if he let some of them through and blocked others, we're still going to see the majority leader push this
9:19 am
nuclear option. americans across the nation might be thinking which should we care about senate procedure rules, filibuster. the fact of the matter is this could drastically change the way the senate operates and policy making as we know it. unlike the house that's governed by majority rule and always been part of partisanly bickering. the senate was created to be a more collabarative body. if this goes through republican will be furious. for the past centuries other so they've been able to exercise a voice and actually put their word out and get their own things done. this is going to block them from doing that. they're not going to be happy about this and it could create more gridlock.
9:20 am
>> is that possible? >> absolutely that's possible. right now as you know they need 60 votes to get through a nomination. if they lower that to 50 the gop will say we're mad at you and we're not going to compromise on anything. think about things like immigration reform that need 60 votes and other bills that will need 60 votes. they're not going to compromise anymore if they do this. >> that could go by wayside if that happens. president obama's approval rating at 44% with 48% disapproving of his job performance. when you look at those numbers that's similar to numbers in may. these negative ratings are coming at a time when voters are becoming more optimistic about the economy which usually helps presidential approval ratings. what do you think about it? >> i think there's 8% of
9:21 am
americans don't have an opinion on this but president obama's approval rating has been on a down slope since his inaugural address. i think this is american's distrust and dislike of washington, d.c. and the difficulty obama had in the beginning of his second term. remember the irs scandal and benghazi and now to the nsa whistle blowers debate and then now we've got an immigration bill that's stuck in the senate, stuck in the house and americans remember washington isn't working. it's working worse than ever. >> we have to switch to another subject before we have to let you go here and that's to you
9:22 am
rachel. we're learning on friday that janet napolitano will be stepping down to become president of the california university system. then we have to consider who might be the names to replace her. we have ray kelly. his name seems to all come up. joe leiberman. what's your thought? >> i think when it comes to leiberman he said yesterday it would be awkward if he came back to left over this post. he left the senate and retired and head back home to run a law firm, work as lawyer. another thing that would be awkward is mccain, he endorsed mccain over obama in 2008, there would be a bit of tension between him and obama a few
9:23 am
years later p. as for collins, a lot of democrats like her. she was on the homeland panel for a long time and a history of reaching across the aisle to work with democrats. we could see her. he's a big fan of kelly. >> i'm curious what napolitano will take over after she takes over the uc system. who knows whether she will pop back into politics again. thank you for being here. there's a little report that leaves wonder why people are staggered with student loans. we have that next. honey, is he too into this car thing? [ mumbling ] definitely the quattro. ♪ honey? huh? a5. what?
9:24 am
[ sighs ] did you say something? ♪ did you say something? (announcer) scottrade knows our and invest their own way. with scottrade's smart text, i can quickly understand my charts, and spend more time trading. their quick trade bar lets my account follow me online so i can react in real-time. plus, my local scottrade office is there to help. because they know i don't trade like everybody. i trade like me. i'm with scottrade. (announcer) scottrade. voted "best investment services company."
9:25 am
it's delicious. so now we've turned her toffee into a business. my goal was to take an idea and make it happen. i'm janet long and i formed my toffee company through legalzoom. i never really thought i would make money doing what i love. [ robert ] we created legalzoom to help people start their business and launch their dreams. go to legalzoom.com today and make your business dream a reality. at legalzoom.com we put the law on your side. the day building a play set begins with a surprise twinge of back pain...
9:26 am
and a choice. take up to 4 advil in a day or 2 aleve for all day relief. [ male announcer ] that's handy. ♪ when you experience something great, you want to share it. with everyone. that's why more customers recommend verizon, america's largest 4g lte network. as congress works on a bill to reverse the doubling of student loan rates, an inside lists the most expensive colleges in the country. this includes the costs of going
9:27 am
to school, room and board as well as tuition. new york university leads the way at $62,000. harvey mudd college is behind nyu. nine of the top ten schools cost more than $60,000. facebook compiled a list on user bas activities, virginia beach, virginia followed by colorado springs and austin, texas as the most fittest places. proof of heaven and the third wheel fell out the top three. lean in ranks fourth. sharknado quite a story on
9:28 am
scy-fi. the movie about a hurricane that produces tornadoes full of sharks was the top trending topic on twitter thursday night. it buzzed for hours before the social media frenzy subsided. those are your number ones. [ brent ] now steve's looking pretty good so far. [ herbie ] eh, hold on brent, what's this? mmmm, nice car. there's no doubt, that's definitely gonna throw him off. she's seen it too. oh this could be trouble. [ sentra lock noise ] oh man. gotta think fast, herbie. back pedal, back pedal. [ crowd cheering ] oh, he's down in flames and now the ice-cold shoulder. one last play... no, game over! gps take him to the dog house. [ male announcer ] make a powerful first impression. the all-new nissan sentra. ♪ the all-new nissan sentra.
9:29 am
and i know savings. this metal frame pool on rollback, you save $80! and this 4 burner grill on rollback, you save $11. get more summer for your money at walmart's super summer savings event.
9:30 am
running a small business riding against the wind. uphill. every day. we make money on saddles and tubes. but not on bikes. my margins are thinner than these tires.
9:31 am
anything that gives me some breathing room makes a difference. membership helps make the most of your cashflow. i'm nelson gutierrez of strictly bicycles and my money works as hard as i do. this is what membership is. this is what membership does. welcome back. time for headlines at the half. france's transport minister says human error has been ruled out in the accident that killed six people and injured nearly 200 others. a third person has died in last saturday's asiana crash. she's identified only as a female child. her parents requested her identity and age be with held. russian officials say they have yet to receive an asylum
9:32 am
application from edward snowden. right now in sanford, florida jurors in the george zimmerman trial are taking a lunch break. they return to the courtroom at 9:00 a.m. today after deliberating for three hours yesterday. before the judge handed the case over to the jury yesterday afternoon they got to hear one last time from the prosecution and defense. >> every shred of law that applies to this case you'll have before you. what you won't have been is any law that suggests something like following something is illegal because it's not. >> isn't that every child's worst nightmare to be followed on the way home in the dark by a stranger. isn't that every child's worst fear? that was trayvon martin's last
9:33 am
emotion. >> joining me now is msnbc legal analyst lisa green. lisa, as we look forward, we were talking about this earlier, just as the lawyers cannot select their facts neither can the jury select the law they decide to judge on. >> it's a exactly right. you saw in those two clips that distinction and the defense lawyer making it very clear, something they wanted the judge to instruct the jury it's perfectly legal to follow someone. there's no law that says it's inappropriate and the prosecution appealing to emotion. the jury is in that room and sifting through that evidence. they asked for that list and must apply the evidence to the law that's available to them. florida law generous on self-defense. >> it's 27 pages of instructions that's been said. the decision sheet is really a page and a half. they have a lot of reading to do
9:34 am
and a lot of decisions and issues to debate between each other. >> one of the more complex issue is understanding the jury instructions. you get the facts and the lawyers make a lot of arguments but you have to apply the facts. in this case i think the jury instructions are confusing as it relates to how do you get to second-degree murder and manslaughter. i can see where the jurors can get hung up and ask more questions about it. it's up to them to interpret these instructions and i have found in many cases that jurors have a difficult time with it. this case is challenging. you have two different competing theories. you have does this case start at the beginning as the prosecution says when they first start p profiling or does it start when the defendant says at the time of the fight. if do you do either one of those
9:35 am
f theories you could get to second-degree murder or manslaughter or acquittal. >> lisa talk about the instructions that came from the judge. i was leafing through some of it. i could see myself spending days trying to figure out what to do. >> a serious jury will spend time going through it. the defense lawyer having that chart that talks about all the ways in which you can apply the law in this case and find that george zimmerman is not guilty. that has to do with self-defense. the prosecution expands the time line and wants you to think about george zimmerman's mind set well before. the defense wants to think about those 40 seconds. the jury is now weighing which side. >> some have said that was dispassionate as compared to the
9:36 am
prosecution. i want to play a moment that happened after what lisa was alluding to. take a listen. >> that's cement. that's the sidewalk. that is not an unarmed teenager with nothing but skittles trying to get home. >> john, that worked two ways, didn't it? >> i thought that was a little disingenious to think he was armed, they think about them carrying something with them. at the same time you have a situation where a sidewalk is stationary. he didn't bring it there and he was part of this scuffle. i don't think a jury would buy that as something this something this young man was armed. the defense tried to suggest in using the profile language that
9:37 am
george zimmerman did having the hoodie. he's running around. what is he doing? and bringing in the sidewalk to suggest he is walking with a weapons already. i think it would not resonate strongly with the jury. >> one of our legal analysts made mention that this is an all woman jury and it's more likely she had intimated based on studies it's more likely a guilty verdict here. what's that thought? can you put that together? >> with due respect to karen and i believe there could be studies that show that and probably competing studies that could show something else and i think it's possible an all woman jury will act a certain way but it's far beyond our ability to tell which way it will act. these are and lisa bloom has pointed this out, these are women with different backgrounds, education, work experiences.
9:38 am
one thing all lawyers no good luck predicting what they're thinking. even lawyers who present cases think a particular juror is in their camp and if they have the luxury of interviewing afterward they find they were dead wrong. >> lisa bloom said that's not a consideration for this. john, what's your thought? >> i have the same view. i think more importantly what wr do they come from. what are their experiences? have they had experiences that allow them to understand the urban experience and the standard african-american community, had some contact with it and do not buy into the stereo typical notion of african-american teenagers. do they have an open mind. they all bring difference experiences. i don't believe an all woman jury means you convict. it may mean that these are all individuals and they will look at it differently. >> what's your perception of the make up of the jury? >> i would not have liked this jury because there's no african-americans on the jury. you need someone who can fight and understand the issues and
9:39 am
educate the other jurors. you may have that with the mixed lady but if you don't have someone to appreciate the issues that are there in the court then you can buy into a stereo tippic notion and the defense played to that argument. i think the jury make up is problematic but you didn't predict. >> lisa. >> i think it is one of the great mysteries of the system we have in the yiet when you bring jurors into a room, i was on a jury once and was confident the prosecution made its case and we would quickly decide and got into the room. it was a 12-person juror. the vote was 9-3 and it tookous hours. we're tempted to get to the end but it's the jurors that will decide. >> thank you. we're on verdict watch here at msnbc. be sure to stay with us.
9:40 am
we're watching the trial closely. in london the city is on royal baby watch. anticipation is building as the city prepares for the birth of the first child of prince william and kate middleton. regardless of if it's a boy or girl this baby will be the future monarch of england. more than 20,000 people are wage i erring on the baby's birth weight and name. martin t i was loonging at soki of those names. are you placing a bet? >> reporter: i did place a bet. i lost it already. i bet the baby would be born three days ago. i lost my five pound bet. there you go. >> what is the latest? what are we hearing about when the birthday might be? is it today?
9:41 am
>> reporter: today is what they are calling b day. that's total speculation. the 13th of july is the main day the press has been focusing on. it's all based on rumor and speculation. the palace only announced the baby will be born in july. that date, the 13th is based ed a rumor that somebody heard somebody saying at a palace garden party is when they are expecting. there's also a rumor that the mere of the dutchess would be a leo so that makes it later in the month. apparently the dutchess is about a mile away from here with her husband prince william waiting to go into labor and when she does that this is where they will come. everybody is ready. the media, the palace,
9:42 am
presumably the dutchess. the only person that doesn't seem to be ready now is the baby. >> not as of yet. there's a lot of uproar about this baby. maybe uproar is too strong of a word but is there a lot of interest there and what are some of the top names. >> reporter: among the people of britain they don't see any great interest yet. when the baby is born there will be an explosion of interest. the names we're talking about as you ask, for a girl alexadria and victoria and charlotte. very traditional royal names. nobody is betting on anything out rarageou
9:43 am
outrageous. one bet is kong. >> somebody's got a sense of humor. thank you. in a moment man kind to the rescue of a dog in distress. they adapt at the waist, legs and bottom, with up to 12 hours of protection, for our driest, best fitting diaper. pampers. for our driest, best fitting diaper. resoft would be great, but we really just need "kid-proof." softsprings got both, let me show you. right over here. here, feel this. wow, that's nice. wow. the soft carpets have never been this durable. you know i think we'll take it. get kid-friendly toughness and feet-friendly softness, without walking all over your budget. he didn't tell us it would do this. more saving. more doing. that's the power of the home depot. right now, get whole-home installation for just 37 bucks. her long day of pick ups and drop offs
9:44 am
begins with arthritis pain... and a choice. take up to 6 tylenol in a day or just 2 aleve for all day relief. all aboard. ♪
9:45 am
there's a new way to fight litter box odor. introducing tidy cats with glade tough odor solutions. two trusted names, one amazing product.
9:46 am
a dog in new york proves cats are not the only animals with nine lives. this pooch climbed out onto a six inch ledge on friday. the dog didn't seem to be able to get back in the window past the window guard. one firefighter slowly approaching the dog in a bucket truck and won the pup's truck with water and treats. the animal was brought safely to the ground. elliot spitzer is going on a media blitz to explain his past behavior and run as comptroller. >> reporter: on the tonight show disgraced former new york governor elliot spitzer is
9:47 am
trying to play it for laughs which is what you do. >> you got the mob in new york, you brought down wall street and the banks. how could you be this stupid? >> reporter: the serious side of it all couldn't be ignored. >> the fall from grace is incredibly painful. it's something from which you learn and hopefully you can then move on and contribute. >> reporter: in fact, every since he announced he was running for new york city comptroller, the big apple's second biggest job he's been apologizing. >> what i did was not only wrong was a failure of judgment. >> what has changed personally? >> a lot of pain. a lot of pain. >> that's it? >> you go through that pain. you change. >> reporter: spitzer isn't the first high profile politician to try for a comeback after a sex scandal. san diego mayor is trying to held onto his job in the wake of
9:48 am
sexual harassment allegations. >> i'm humble to admit i need help. >> reporter: mark sanford was driven from office and lost his marriage and just won a seat in congress. anthony weiner whose career crash and burned after he tweeted photos of himself to women he met online now wants to be mayor. imagine new york city run by weiner and spitzer. >> new york values toughness and bigness and both of them have big personalities. they are provocative. they're new yorkers. >> reporter: spitzer is making the rounds. his story one that talk show hosts are eager to hear and he hopes realistically or not that voters want to hear too. it's a tale worthy of a hollywood movie.
9:49 am
the story of one mobster who is a killing machine as he worked for the fbi. the offer of a new book reveals all, next. copd makes it hard to breathe... but with advair, i'm breathing better. so now i can help make this a great block party. ♪ [ male announcer ] advair is clinically proven to help significantly improve lung function. unlike most copd medications, advair contains both an anti-inflammatory and a long-acting bronchodilator working together to help improve your lung function all day.
9:50 am
advair won't replace fast-acting inhalers for sudden symptoms and should not be used more than twice a day. people with copd taking advair may have a higher chance of pneumonia. advair may increase your risk of osteoporosis and some eye problems. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking advair. ask your doctor if including advair could help improve your lung function. [ male announcer ] advair diskus fluticasone propionate and salmeterol inhalation powder. get your first prescription free and save on refills at advaircopd.com.
9:51 am
9:52 am
in boston jurors in the ongoing trial of james whitey bulger are hearing from relatives of his alleged victims. they listened to testimony of two people on friday. the brother of a young woman who prosecutors say bulger strangled in 1981 and the widow of a man he shot in 1982. he's accused of a long list of crimes including participating in 19 killings. he's pleaded not guilty. he was captured in 2011 after spending 16 years on the run. as serious as the charges are his alleged crimes pale in comparison when you stack them against another mob figure who had a relationship with the fbi. it's according to a new book that purportedly chronicles the
9:53 am
case of the grim reaper stopped counting the people he killed and managed to avoid major jail time in spite of a criminal career that spanned more than 40 years. you said in your book he killed more than 50 people while being paid by the fbi. did the fbi know about this happening at the same time they were paying him here? >> every fbi director from hoover got the debriefing memo and his last contact, there were 26 murders on his watch. he said i knew he was killing people and he admitted to one murder. it would be possible for him to
9:54 am
have had a killer, a vicious killer like greg scarpa on his watch without knowing. >> the fbi did nothing to stop him from doing that? >> not only did he do nothing to stop him but there was an opr, internal affairs investigation generating 900 pages which four agents charged he was leaking information. his contact agent is doing life and he skated after a two week trial that ended abruptly in '07. >> how does he stack up to other informants in u.s. history in. >> he's absolutely the most violent in the history. real quick, he had had a $70,000 a week drug operation. he had largest trafficker of stolen credit cards in new york.
9:55 am
international auto theft ring. $2 million on the street as a loan shark. he traded in half million dollar bonds. as i said, he was this incredibly hyper violent mobster. every briefing memo from 1962 on, i have an 11-page memo that hoover got. >> he was paid millions in to y today's dollars if you're to look at the money that the fbi gave him. >> over one million. over one million dollars. >> in today's dollars, right? >> right. >> if you look at the way they handled this informant back then, how that that changed in the way informants work for the
9:56 am
fbi? >> there's been attorney general guidelines for years saying they're not allowed to do anything more than misdemeanors. murder is completely off the table. he violated these attorney general guidelines and the fbi gave it a wink and a nod. three separate strike forces tried to put him away while the fbi in the background was keeping him on the street. the last war for the control of the family 13 people died. he killed six people himself. he was literally allowed to do that. >> thank you so much. appreciate your time. the house gop is sticking to its guns to cut $6 billion from food stamps but what can democrats do about that? all business purchases.
9:57 am
so you can capture your receipts, and manage them online with jot, the latest app from ink. so you can spend less time doing paperwork. and more time doing paperwork. ink from chase. so you can.
9:58 am
since aflac is helping with his expenses while he can't work, he can focus on his recovery. he doesn't have to worry so much about his mortgage, groceries, or even gas bills. kick! kick... feel it! feel it! feel it! nice work! ♪ you got it! you got it! yes! aflac's gonna help take care of his expenses. and us...we're gonna get him back in fighting shape. ♪ [ male announcer ] see what's happening behind the scenes at aflac.com.
9:59 am
[ herbie ] there's no doubt about it brent, a real gate keeper. here's kevin, the new boyfriend. lamb to the slaughter. that's right brent. mom's baked cookies but he'll be lucky to make it inside. and here's the play. oh dad did not see this coming. [ crowd cheering ] now if kevin can just seize the opportunity. it's looking good, herbie. he's seen it. it's all over. nothing but daylight. yes i'd love a cookie. [ male announcer ] make a powerful first impression. the all-new nissan sentra. ♪ all your important legal matters in just minutes. protect your family... and launch your dreams. at legalzoom.com we put the law on your side.
10:00 am
jury deliberations in the george zimmerman trial. they are about to return from their one hour lunch break to resume their deliberations. the all female panel is deciding whether to find him guilty of second-degree murder, guilty of manslaughter or acquit him. that's the decision. craig melvin has been reporting outside the courtroom in sanford throughout the entire trial. as we head back from lunch, what's the latest? >> reporter: we can tell you this, apparently the jury was allowed to deliberate over their meals. there's some confusion an hour or two ago when the spokesperson said they would have to stop deliberations. we have been told they were permitted to talk about the case, talk about the evidence as they scarf down their sandwiches and salads. six and a half hours so far. now coming up on seven and a half hours.
10:01 am
that's how long this jury has deliberated in total. 3 1/2 yesterday and four today. no indication how long this is going to take. judge nelson has said she will lev leave it up to the jury to decide how long they want to deliberate each day. they could go late into the night. she's also going to leave it up to the jury to decide whether they want to deliberate on sunday. at this point we've not been told whether they will definitely be deliberating tomorrow. we expect they will be because when given the opportunity this jury of six women time and time begin have indicated that they like to keep going. they want to plow through this thing. >> been very respectful of their time letting them decide what they will do going forward as they have been sequestered for so many different days. what are you seeing in terms of on the ground and some activity
10:02 am
online. what are you seeing on the ground? >> reporter: verdict watch is not just relegated to here in the courthouse parking lot. folks on twitter and facebook as well. lots of folks seem to be waiting for this thing to wrap up. as for what's happening on the ground we can tell you the number of demonstrators has increased somewhat. there were literally, maybe two demonstrators every day but we've seen maybe about two dozen folks, 30 at most, demonstrating. we should note there's been three or four people outside the courthouse demonstrating in support of george zimmerman as well but the lion share are folks who are wearing justice for trayvon t-shirts holding signs and plaqcards.
10:03 am
>> you have 15 minutes before the team has to put on running shoes? >> reporter: it won't be like a supreme court decision coming down because we have eyes and ears inside the courthouse. we also have the pool feed. when that happens we'll be able to broadcast it to you live. at one point it was going to be 60 minutes notice. we were going to get far more of a heads up but the spokesperson for the courthouse indicated they were going to go with 15. primarily because all of the players are standing by at the courthouse. the lawyers for the defense, the lawyers for the state, the family of trayvon martin, the families' attorneys are all inside waiting for the jury. there's one thing to note. the phrase compromise verdict. i think we should remember this. it's something mark o'mara brought up. it's something that ben crump talked to me about last night. the idea being that you could
10:04 am
get the six jurors in that room they decide, we can't convict him of second-degree murder but we think he's guilty of manslaughter. we think he did something wrong here. we won't convict him on the top count, here's this compromise verdict. that's something that court watchers are starting to whisper about a lot. at this point, court watchers are whispering about a lot of different things because there's no verdict. >> thank you so much as you listen to those whispers and discussions. joining me now lisa bloom and john burris. lisa, the compromise verdict here. widely expected. >> yeah. we are honkered down here now. i'm pretty much glued to msnbc for when we get that verdict.
10:05 am
jury is not supposed to reach a compromise verdict. they are supposed to reach the appropriate verdict based on the evidence. there's no jury instruction saying if you can't decide second-degree murder or acquittal, just compromise. that's forbidden by the law. saying that it happens. there's probably a give and take as it is in almost every jury room. there's no record of jury deliberations. nobody is in there except those six jurors. there's no particular rules for how to deliberate other than pick a foreperson at the beginning. i think we can assume that's a woman. at the end come back with a verdict or if not a hung jury. in the middle, in between how they handle those deliberations is up to them and never to be reviewed again unless there's fraud or some extraordinary outside the box kind of behavior which is expretremely rare. >> john, talk about the compromise verdict that lisa was just describing for us.
10:06 am
that's not what the instruction says but they may come up with a compromise based on the fact that looking at a 17-year-old who is no longer alive and yet they have a suspect here, they have a defendant here that is facing these two charges. they may come up with something in the middle? >> i would not view the voluntary manslaughter as a compromise verdict. i know people say that. i think lisa is right. you make a decision based upon the evidence. sure there's give and take. the give and take could be which of the various theories you see here. for me it's easy to see they could reach a manslaughter verdict. i would not view that as a compromise. you have mr. zimmerman who claims that he was being beaten but the injuries don't show that. he could have been unreasonable in his view. a jury could easily see that. i wouldn't view it as a
10:07 am
compromise. i think that a jury could come to that pretty easily. at first they will wrestle with the whole question and if they can't do that, they go to the next issue. it would be well within the four corners of the evidence if they reach that verdict. >> we're looking at jury deliberations now hitting six hours. what's your thought? take us inside those deliberations. what they're discussing and doing. >> given i've not had a chance to see with the jury but i've watched a lot. there's a lot of different evidence going on here. this is where people's individual biases come out about what they're views about people and their attitudes and there has to be someone in there that's like a cop to cause people not to let their particular bias overwhelm the judgment of the case. you'll have different interpretation of what that evidence means.
10:08 am
you have to fight through these jury instructions. the big issue they have to deal with right up, but at some point who was screaming. if you can reach a consensus on that, they may dictate which way you go. you'll have to deal with the evidence around. i don't know they can reach a consequence, an agreement on that but they have other witnesses that can help them do that. i think that logically they have to work through the individual facts. there's critical facts that are starting points that cause you to evaluate the evidence around the jury instruction. i think if there's a good foreperson, that person will guide the evidence in the discussion and ways around the jury instructions and see if there's evidence that corroborates and supports the various instructions. >> lisa take us inside from your perspective that very room where they are deliberating at this moment, 6:39 at the moment. if they've asked for an exhibit list does that tell you they have decided who will be that
10:09 am
centurion and have read through the 27 pages. did they indicate anything to you? >> i know that one of these six women supervises at a call center. she supervises 12,000 people. i expect that's a logical way to think for her. two of them work in the medical field which is interesting. one of the biggest issues is what do george zimmerman's injuries mean. are they minor and really show he overinflated what was happening in the fight or are they significant enough to show his head was being banged, his face was punched an he was in fear. they are not suppose e ed to apt themselves as experts. they also can reenact. mark o'mara suggested they
10:10 am
reenact, perhaps crouch down, one on top of the other. >> try it out yourself. >> yeah. it will be interesting to see what they did. >> the exhibit list, the fact they asked for that. do you think they are passed that initial stage of reading through the instructions and picked the leader? >> they certainly have picked a leader. getting the exhibit list is important because from there the leader can then go through and show them what type of, what the evidence is and when there are questions that come up they have the exhibit list and can go to that and find the individual document. that's important. as to whether or not, interesting is when do you start to look at the jury instructions. i don't believe you necessarily start doing that at the beginning and they may well have not. i think first thing they will do is get some consensus on the facts. do we have an agreement on the
10:11 am
screaming personal. do we believe rachel about the conversation she had or do we believe what zimmerman has. they have to deal with the prosecution's web of lies. are these really lies? are these significant lies or just clarifications. that will form the basis of their ultimate thinking as they apply the facts to the jury instructions. >> i was looking at some of the description, the bios of up with of those on the jury. from those biographies, what do you think about the group? will they work well together? will they move to a decision? >> that's such great question and we can't know because we have some information from jurors. >> go for it. >> you never know because sometimes after a high profile crime you find there's a real wild card in the jury room. somebody who insists on their position and will not budge. it can be a hung jury. that's rare. before we get to that point the
10:12 am
jury could come back in and say we just can't reach a decision. she would then give a dynamite charge or an allen charge which in plain english is get back in there and keep working. try harder. we're not going to get a better jury than you. you've already come this far and keep trying. they go back in and bang heads and reach a resolution or something continues to hold out. if somebody described you based on race, gender, occupation. >> in two paragraphs. >> how much would that tell you about how that would look at a case like this and when you get back in the jury room certainly they are expected to have give and take to engage in the process. you don't know. >> in every jury, the person who is is supervisor that's an important person but you also have followers. the leader of it is the one who is going to help the others, the followers to make a decision. if you got two leaders in that
10:13 am
group and they could bump heads, you could have a real problem. trying to get a consensus, is important. i like the person who has supervised a lot of people, that person can bring people together for working through the evidence. >> fascinating stuff. thank you so much. you'll be here on msnbc all throughout the jury deliberations as we get closer here to verdict watch at msnbc. be sure to stay with us on this because we'll be watching the very latest on the george zimmerman trial throughout the day. a leading democrat who met with the president about immigration. how is the president planning on pushing reform? that's next.
10:14 am
for your loss. still doesn't feel real. our time together was... so short. well, since you had progressive's total loss coverage, we were able to replace your totaled bike with a brand-new one. the tank, the exhaust... well, she looks just like roxy! you know, i'll bet she's in a better place now. i'm sure she is. [ ethereal music plays ] [ motorcycle revving ] getting you back on a brand-new bike. now, that's progressive. "stubborn love" by the lumineers did you i did. email? so what did you think of the house? did you see the school ratings? oh, you're right. hey babe, i got to go. bye daddy! have a good day at school, ok? ...but what about when my parents visit? ok. i just love this one... and it's next to a park. i love it. i love it too. here's our new house...
10:15 am
daddy! you're not just looking for a house. you're looking for a place for your life to happen.
10:16 am
a house divided cannot agree on immigration reform. congress remains no closer to
10:17 am
consensus here. president obama called on the house to act arguing that the nation's economy is at stake. >> here in america we've always been a nation of immigrants. that's what's kept our work force dynamic, our businesses on the cutting edge and our economy the strongest in the world. under the current system too many smart hard working immigrants are prevented from contributing to that success. >> joining me is democratic congresswoman whip for the hispanic caucus and member of the agriculture committee. good day to you. >> good morning or good afternoon where you are. >> good afternoon from me where i'm at now. you and other members of the hispanic caucus met with the president and vice president on wednesday to discuss this very issue of immigration reform. what did you hear new from him? >> well, i think the important thing is not what was new but rather there's a new reenergized
10:18 am
effort by the hispanic caucus and the president. it's a priority issue. it's a legacy issue and immoral not to act. we really need to get it done now. i think the president's statement this morning reflecting on what it means for the economy as what it means for these families. all those issues were discussed and again we were focusing on what we could do to get this bill passed. >> do you think that president obama's activity and involvement helps the very debate around immigration reform? >> i do. it's clear that we need to make sure that members in the house are working across the aisle. that we're doing everything we can to help the speaker find the path to get a comprehensive bill debated and passed. the president's role is to
10:19 am
reassure the american people about where we are that we've got to do something and this is time to act. i think his role in that regard is critical. >> some republicans are saying that democrats in the house should become more comfortable with the idea of path to legalization as opposed to a path to citizenship. would you sign onto that? >> no. this is a situation, every immigrant that's come to this country combs here with hope and determination and dreams of making a better life and the motion to address our broken immigration system this we would have a two class system in the united states is exactly the thing that we should not do. this is about building the united states, building family strength, bringing innovation. >> what's the compromise? >> this is the time to make it right. >> what would you say to compromises and if it's not going to be path to legalization as been pushed by some on the
10:20 am
right? >> if you look at the senate bill and what the gang of seven has been working on, a com comprehensive approach that deals with immigration not just at the border with mexico but everybody that comes into the united states that's dealing with work visa and border security. we've done everything to make this a bill that addresses every single issue on the table and the notion one really important facet should get left off, which is a pathway to citizenship doesn't make any sense. you haven't fixed the broken system. you've just addressed individual issues. >> what about piecemeal as the speaker has discussed? >> if there's a piecemeal and the first thing we discuss is a pathway to citizenship, that would send a message that both parties are willing to take a bill at the time and do what's
10:21 am
best on all of the pieces. >> he's saying he wants border security first. >> i'm sure that's what the negotiation and strategy is from the republican side. i think that house democrats, including myself, have to make every effort to get to those republicans who understand you need a path way to citizenship. we had president bush talking to house republicans last wednesday reiterating we ought to be compassionate about come prehencivecomprehensive reform and this is the time to act. >> you voted against it and you said you were appalled by that bill. if it does go into law here, what would be the impact in your opinion? >> i think it's a disaster.
10:22 am
this is the first time in history we've tried to separate out the food nutrition program out of the rest of the policies that support farmers and ranchers in this country. the aspect in order to deal with the issues drought and investment and disadvantaged farmers and making sure we're protecting farmers who are growing our food for this country and other nations, the notion we would do that without addressing starving children and families is outrageous. never before has this occurred. we've always made sure that poverty programs, bipartisan, were left out of deficit reductions and any other strategies to deal with the current spending issues in congress. i think it's a bad policy statement. we're not going to take care of our social safety net. 500 groups, at least, all supporting ranchers and formers said exactly that same thing. these are people who buy the
10:23 am
food that ranchers and formers are bringing to america's tables. >> thank you so much. i appreciate your time. you have a good one. >> thank you. you too. edward snowden still camping out in a moscow airport but is he ready to make a move? a live report next. looked nice? soft would be great, but we really just need "kid-proof." softsprings got both, let me show you. right over here. here, feel this. wow, that's nice. wow. the soft carpets have never been this durable. you know i think we'll take it. get kid-friendly toughness and feet-friendly softness, without walking all over your budget. he didn't tell us it would do this. more saving. more doing. that's the power of the home depot. right now, get whole-home installation for just 37 bucks. feel like you're growing older... waiting to look younger? don't wait. [ female announcer ] get younger looking skin fast.
10:24 am
with new olay regenerist micro-sculpting cream. the next generation with 2 new anti-aging ingredients. it penetrates rapidly. visible wrinkle results start day 1. and you'll see younger looking skin before you even finish one jar. ♪ new olay regenerist. the wait is over. a regular guy with an irregular heartbeat. the usual, bob? not today. [ male announcer ] bob has afib: atrial fibrillation not caused by a heart valve problem, a condition that puts him at greater risk for a stroke. [ gps ] turn left. i don't think so. [ male announcer ] for years, bob took warfarin, and made a monthly trip to the clinic to get his blood tested. but not anymore. bob's doctor recommended a different option: once-a-day xarelto®. xarelto® is the first and only once-a-day prescription blood thinner for patients with afib not caused by a heart valve problem, that doesn't require routine blood monitoring.
10:25 am
like warfarin, xarelto® is proven effective to reduce the risk of an afib-related stroke. there is limited data on how these drugs compare when warfarin is well managed. no routine blood monitoring means bob can spend his extra time however he likes. new zealand! xarelto® is just one pill a day, taken with the evening meal. and with no dietary restrictions, bob can eat the healthy foods he likes. do not stop taking xarelto® rivaroxaban without talking to the doctor who prescribes it for you. stopping may increase your risk of having a stroke. get medical help right away if you develop any signs or symptoms of bleeding, like unusual bruising or tingling. you may have a higher risk of bleeding if you take xarelto® with aspirin products, nsaids or blood thinners. talk to your doctor before taking xarelto® if you currently have abnormal bleeding. xarelto® can cause bleeding, which can be serious, and rarely may lead to death. you are likely to bruise more easily on xarelto®, and it may take longer for bleeding to stop. tell your doctors you are taking xarelto®
10:26 am
before any planned medical or dental procedures. before starting xarelto®, tell your doctor about any conditions, such as kidney, liver or bleeding problems. ready to change your routine? ask your doctor about once-a-day xarelto®. for more information including cost support options, call 1-888-xarelto or visit goxarelto.com. paula deen will not be leaving the headlines any time soon. a comic book on her life will be published in october. it will focus on her rise from humble begins and will include her fall. all proceeds from the book will be donated to a charity chosen by deen. she's not replied to requests to participate. a new report on the asiana goes wrong and offends many, next.
10:27 am
dionne wants to save on fast food dinners. a meal like this from walmart costs less that $3.50 per serving. and if a family of four like yours switches out fast food dinner just once a week you can save over $690 a year. unbelievable. it's believable. save on a kraft dinner backed by the low price guarantee. walmart [ herbie ] there's no doubt about it brent, a real gate keeper. here's kevin, the new boyfriend. lamb to the slaughter. that's right brent. mom's baked cookies but he'll be lucky to make it inside. and here's the play. oh dad did not see this coming. [ crowd cheering ] now if kevin can just seize the opportunity. it's looking good, herbie. he's seen it. it's all over. nothing but daylight. yes i'd love a cookie. [ male announcer ] make a powerful first impression. the all-new nissan sentra. ♪ the all-new nissan sentra. to save big during sleep train's triple choice sale.ck for a limited time, you can choose to save hundreds
10:28 am
on beautyrest and posturepedic mattress sets. or choose $300 in free gifts with sleep train's most popular tempurpedic mattresses. you can even choose 48 months interest-free financing on the new tempur-choice with head-to-toe customization. the triple choice sale on now at sleep train! ♪ sleep train ♪ your ticket to a better night's sleep ♪
10:29 am
vietnam in 1972. [ all ] fort benning, georgia in 1999. [ male announcer ] usaa auto insurance is often handed down from generation to generation. because it offers a superior level of protection and because usaa's commitment to serve military members, veterans, and their families is without equal. begin your legacy, get an auto insurance quote. usaa. we know what it means to serve.
10:30 am
welcome back to weekends with alex witt. right now the sanford, florida jurors in the george zimmerman trial entering the seventh hour of deliberations. four possible outcomes, guilty of second-degree murder, guilty of manslaughter, not guilty or a hung jury. two familiar faces for us as we go through this case here. a hung jury. >> a hung jury is a possibility that not enough people are talking about. that's because there are only six people on this jury. it is more likely just by numbers that you will get a unanimous verdict. it's possible. a hung jury mean there's a divide. it could be 5-1, 3-3. that leads to a mistrial. that could lead to another trial or a plea for george zimmerman.
10:31 am
>> george alex, what can the judge do if that happens? >> it's a possibility. it's less likely in the case where the jury has been sequestered. they're going to bond better than a mixed jury but they will be bonding and talking about their families because they couldn't talk about the case until now, until the deliberations. when you bond like that it's easier to reach a consensus. the judge brings them out. she sends them back and ask them to continue and if it seems like they're at an em pass she'll give them the allen charge or the dynamite charge. you can't give another after that. if they break the deadlock it's over. if not, you retry. >> two rounds. >> it can be more than two. >> i think a lot of people want to know kind of what happens behind the scenes there. usually, at least in my 20 years of experience, the first thing that the jurors do they go in
10:32 am
and because in this case it's in florida they have to pick the foreperson. i think the first thing they to is take a vote. guilty, not guilty, undecided. >> so they know where each other stands? >> again in my experience the jury also looks at the evidence first. after taking that informal vote. >> take us inside judge alex in terms of what they're doing. what's the environment like? how do they ask for questions? those sorts of things. >> as far as the environment in there -- >> it's tiny. >> we can kind of estimate or guess because we're not in there with them. there's nobody supervising them. they control their own little world with their foreperson. sometimes it's very smooth and sometimes the disagreements are worked over and sometimes they're not. they knock on the door or some courthouses have a buzzer to indicate to the bailiff.
10:33 am
>> standing outside the door. >> guarding them. >> the bailiff will open the door. they're not allowed to ask him a question. they will fold it over to the bailiff who will take it to the judge and the judge must consult with the lawyers before answering any questions. >> which we saw yesterday. >> they will say this is the question. how do you want me to respond? she'll tell them how she will respond and bring them out and respond. if it's a question of law she'll clarify it. if it's a question of fact, she will say that's for them to decide. >> i believe that craig melvin reported that now the notice has changed in this case from giving 60 minutes to 15 minutes. what would happen in this case is that they'll get a note and you'll get a report from craig, probably and then in 15 minutes back to the room.
10:34 am
the jurors will be assembled and the judge will read the note and take it from there. >> when the questions do come out how might that go if the prosecution or the defense says they have some objections or how the question might be answered. how does that work? >> that happens all the time. >> the judge will give them an opportunity to give their suggestion. obviously, each side wants it answered in way that's favorable to their case. that doesn't you're entitled to anything. the judge decides what's the appropriate way to respond and the objections are on the record for the appellate court. >> that's the most important thing. >> the judge will go ahead and respond to the question. most of the time the lawyers agree. many times if they're asking a question of fact, juries are the judges of the facts. they decide what the facts are. we can't help them with that. typically the answer is that's for you to resolve. >> the other consideration for
10:35 am
readback, the lawyers have to agree on the portion. if they ask for specific testimony from rachel jenteal about the phone conversation. then the lawyers may debate on what is responsive to the jurors note. it has to be exactly what the jury is asking for. nothing more and nothingless. >> we could see some more debate if there are any questions. they also have to self-police. if up with of the jurors goes on internet? >> they don't have anything. >> if they not follow the rules. >> if may misbehave or refer to something they heard outside of court before trial and try to bring that in, it's incumbent upon the others to notify the judge. >> and that's happened before. >> it had. that's why alternates are not necessarily released. they're still available to be plugged in if one of them gets sick or acted improperly.
10:36 am
they can easily replace that juror. nobody likes to do that because now the deliberations have to start over. the remedy ends up if we don't have an alternate to replace that juror, we could end up with a mistrial. that's another way to get to the mistrial. >> really fascinating stuff. i appreciate your time. to politics now and on monday night the senate will convene a bipartisan caucus in the historical senate chamber. it's part of an effort to temper the debate over a rule change. it would allow presidential nominations to pass with a majority. president obama has said republicans have held up his appointments, some for nearly two years. kristen, this fight got personal in the senate this week. we saw some of the statements being made. how is the white house handling this debate?
10:37 am
>> reporter: the white house is standing behind harry reid. he's threatening to get rid of the filibuster using the nuclear option that would require executive branch nominees to have 51 votes instead of 60. they are pointing to the obstructionism. you mentioned that chuck hagel was filibustered. the fact that the president's judicial nominees have waited on average more than 200 days. compare to under george w. bush where they waited 175 days. republicans are digging in their heels. mitch mcconnell has said if reid using the nuclear option he'll go down in history as being the worst leader of the senate ever. the white house in a bit of a tricky spot because when president obama was a senator back in 2005 he said he was opposed to the nuclear option
10:38 am
and would only increase the partisan fighting. the white house is saying times are different and obstructionism is at a new level. here is what jay carney had to say. take a listen. >> we have highly qualified executive branch nominees on the hill, their nominations on hill who have continued to obstructed who have been held up over 100 days. that's not how the system should work. when it comes to next steps we defer to senator reid. >> reporter: just to be clear, this is something that reid is threatening to do. it hasn't happened yet. he could face difficulty within his own party. there are some democratic who is said they are not sure they would support the nuclear option. they will be back at it on monday. as you pointed out this fight had gotten personal.
10:39 am
we expect to see more fireworks next week. >> thank you so much. a san francisco bay area tv station and the ntsb have found themselves in the center of a controversy following a racially comment. the ntsb is admitting it was the source after a fake list of crew members that mocked asian names. >> the ntsb came forward after the bay area station apologized for that air and the offensive names. we want to warn you that some of what you're about to hear includes incensensitive languag >> reporter: it all started add late breaking development in the noon broadcast. >> we just learned the names of the four pilots on board the flight. they are captain sum ting wong. witu lo the ntsb has confirmed
10:40 am
these are the names of the pilots. >> reporter: the offensive names and the obvious hoax spread quickly on the internet and witness minutes the station realized the offensive error. >> we apologize for this. >> reporter: cited they had been confirmed. >> we made a mistake. >> reporter: late friday the agency released a statement said they were inact and a summer intern confirmed the name. they said actions would be taken to make sure such a serious error would not be repeated. ktvu said it should have asked for the person's name and title as well as reading the names out loud before going to air. >> the station has not commented on how it obtained the pilot
10:41 am
names and the ntsb is not saying whether the intern blamed for making the mistake will be fired. >> thank you for that report. what could be biggest disaster than sharknado. the big three may have an idea. every parent wants the safest and healthiest products for their family. that's why i created the honest company. i was just a concerned mom, with a crazy dream. a wish that there was a company that i could rely on, that did all of the hard work for me. i'm jessica alba, and the honest company was my dream. [ male announcer ] legalzoom has helped a million businesses successfully get started, including jessica's. launch your dream at legalzoom today. call us. we're here to help.
10:42 am
10:43 am
10:44 am
russian immigration officials say today edward snowden has not yet sent them a request for asylum. he made his first appearance yesterday meeting with human rights groups at the airport. he seays he wants to stay in russia until he can make it to south america. he remains in the airport in today's no man land. mpblt texas abortion fight, sharknado equals congress and best week, worst week. let's bring in our strategist.
10:45 am
good to see you. emily, we'll start with you. first to texas abortion. the fight that's happening now despite wendy davis's famous filibuster. the texas state senate passing one of the most restrictive bills in the country. it requires doctors to have admitting privileges and requires all abortions to take place in surgical centers. republicans say it protects the health of women and babies. emily, what do you say? >> this is not about health. this is about politics. this is about legislative morality and limiting abortions for women that live in rural areas and women that are low incomes. the restrictions around what it will require for an abortion clinic to operate, there's 42 that are operating. it will limit them down to five. there are plenty of groups that
10:46 am
are saying this is unconstitutional and mounting challenges against it. this is about politics. this is about rick perry calling the texas legislature into its second special session and trying to keep this going. >> does this narrative help republicans when we think back to 2012 when this was one of the major discussions had? >> there's two issues at hand. one is part of the legislation that would ban abortion after 20 weeks which now according to a lot of surveys nationally people are opposed to. that's one. the other, and i think the more significant issue is the funding for the ability to have abortions at these clinics. to take away for the ability for the clinics to function is taking away the right to choose for many women. >> what's your thought here. texas governor rick perry said he was going to sign the bill.
10:47 am
he called the second special session. as he looks toward 2016, how does he put the two sides together as he tries to get middle america to vote for him. >> he has to get through the prima primary. pr the primary this is perfect politics. the polling on abortion has changed significantly over the last 15 years. a majority of americans also don't favor abortion after 20 weeks. i think on the politics for him it's probably a pretty good move. i think for the politics for republicans though they have handled this issue very poorly over the last two years. it got them into a ton of trouble. you can't have panels of all men deciding what women will do. you can't have bills that are passing that most americans don't agree with in terms of requiring women to have ultrasounds. the politics are good for perry but i think republicans are on very dangerous ground fast break they continue to handle the
10:48 am
abortion issue they have in the last two years. >> we have to go to something you have a fondness for. you were treating earlier on sharknado. does that equal congress? we're talking about that new scy-fi movie. he's a little bit of it. >> shark. what are we going to do? >> there's too many of them. we're going to need a bigger chopper. >> that's a movie. patricia you tweeted on this. is congress like sharknado? is it like the worst disaster movie ever? >> i think the difference is that people loved sharknado and everybody hates congress. people accomplished something in sharknado and very few people accomplish something in congress. there was an interesting column in the washington post that said
10:49 am
washington journalism session shows how disconnected they are from reality. there's probably a lot of underlying reality in that. i think it was a lot of fun to watch. it was absolutely horrible but it admitted it was horrible and congress makes no such admission. they think it's pretty great. >> i'm staring at the screen here. >> you can't stop watching. is it a lot like washington, d.c. now, just a mess? >> it's definitely a total mess. look at the way the farm bill was passed this week through the house. no compromise. the republicans and the house won't discuss compromise at all. it's about my way or the highway. i have to say that i love the way that sharknado just captured the entire police class. donna brazile hot on the sharknado tweeting. i talked to a political power couple and they were like we can't stop. we know these bills are moving.
10:50 am
we had to watch sharknado. >> i guess it's a bit of escapism or some parallelism? >> i think more people would like to see sharknado than congress in action because they have no faith whatsoever. sharknado seems to be more popular entertainment for them. >> fun to watch as all four can agree upon right now. stand by. a governor working for free makes the big three best and worst of the week, all three, come back in just a little bit. twelve bucks a night! no. they have waterbeds. ew. no! are we near a gas station? [ phone beeps] [ phone ] no. is that from the mini bar? [ both ] no. is that a cop? no. [ cop ] do you know how fast you were going? no. eighty-seven [ groans ] he's right. is that oscar mayer? [ karen] yes! [ male announcer ] in a world filled with "no", it's nice to finally say "yes". oscar mayer selects deli meat, no artificial preservatives and gluten free. it's yes food. it's oscar mayer.
10:51 am
that's me... i made you something. ♪ i made you something, too. ♪ see you next summer. ♪ [ male announcer ] get exceptional values on the highest quality cars at the summer of audi sales event. ♪ but the instant frizz? not so much. so i'm taking pantene's 72-hour dare. [ female announcer ] beat humidity for a smooth 72 hours. get pantene smooth with moroccan argan oil in a pro-v system. help lock out humidity. keep frizz from forming. go 72-hour smooth. [ eva ] ditch the frizz... i dare you. [ female announcer ] get smooth from pantene, the world's no. 1 haircare brand. hair so healthy it shines.
10:52 am
10:53 am
before we get back to the big threes best and worst weeks, now a look at headlines from the west coast. first, this headline from the sun in san bernardino county, california, doctors needed for obama care, the medical community is concerned they won't have enough doctors as health care reform kicks in next year. a meeting will be held next
10:54 am
week. here is someone that needs a doctor, on the front page of the salt lake tribune, a picture of a university of utah student being gored at yesterday's running of the bulls in spain. once he was rushed to the hospital doctors realized his spleen was punctured. it was removed in surgery. his family did not speak so the press. his high school coach said he is a risk taker, ent kwoed. back to the big three. running of the bulls, if you're going to do it, do it right. do you not feel that way? susan, to you, your best and worst weeks. >> for the best week i think it goes to the new york city press corps who got to follow elliott spitzer's big announcement running for controller this week. i am sure elliott felt a little like sharknado with the reporters. >> worked in shapark nado. anything but that between elliott spitzer and anthony
10:55 am
weiner. the worst to edward snowden, a real problem for russia and he has to turn to them because he has been turned away from everywhere else. i don't think that russia will tolerate much more. i think he is just hit that wall. >> play room for him is shrinking. emily, your picture best and worst >> i would say for the worst for the week, sadly, anybody who may end up needing any sort of food support in america. the house took up the finally did take up the farm bill this week that traditionally had subsidies for agriculture and also that is where we have s.n.a.p., our food assistance programs. what was voted on and passed was broken out was just the subsidies for agriculture and they have still yet to take up the food assistance program. anybody that cares about or manned up in that program is the lose of the week. the highlight, the positive of the week, i would say todd jones, not someone we talk about a lot. he is currently the acting chair of atf, alcohol, tobacco and
10:56 am
firearms, confirmed to be the permanent head of the atf, made it out of the senate committee. he is going tore a vote on the senate floor, finally getting there and may end up benefitting from a change in potential filibuster rules. >> patricia, best and worst. >> my worst goes to virginia's governor bob mcdonnell. he has gone from a white house hopeful to somebody that will be lucky if he finishes his current term, just a cascade of scandals coming against him. a lot of particularly bad actions by his family having staff go pick up the dry cleaning and stocking up on hummus for the college dorm am radios on the mansion credit card and such bad behavior and bob mcdonnell a real loss for the republican party there, and the winner of the week for me is actually another governor, alabama's governor robert bentley. i did not know a whole lot about him. i was researching a story on the high price of college and this is the governor that does not get paid. he promised not to get paid until the at a time is at full
10:57 am
employment. i thought that's an example washington can follow. >> my best and worst, sharknado. >> both, absolutely. >> both best and worst. >> that wraps it up. thank you. up next, live from sanford, florida. have yourself a good day. looked nice? soft would be great, but we really just need "kid-proof." softsprings got both, let me show you. right over here. here, feel this. wow, that's nice. wow. the soft carpets have never been this durable. you know i think we'll take it. get kid-friendly toughness and feet-friendly softness, without walking all over your budget. he didn't tell us it would do this. more saving. more doing. that's the power of the home depot. right now, get whole-home installation for just 37 bucks.
10:58 am
a regular guy with an irregular heartbeat. the usual, bob? not today. [ male announcer ] bob has afib: atrial fibrillation not caused by a heart valve problem, a condition that puts him at greater risk for a stroke. [ gps ] turn left. i don't think so. [ male announcer ] for years, bob took warfarin, and made a monthly trip to the clinic to get his blood tested. but not anymore. bob's doctor recommended a different option: once-a-day xarelto®. xarelto® is the first and only once-a-day prescription blood thinner for patients with afib not caused by a heart valve problem, that doesn't require routine blood monitoring. like warfarin, xarelto® is proven effective to reduce the risk of an afib-related stroke. there is limited data on how these drugs compare when warfarin is well managed. no routine blood monitoring means bob can spend his extra time however he likes. new zealand! xarelto® is just one pill a day, taken with the evening meal. and with no dietary restrictions, bob can eat the healthy foods he likes.
10:59 am
do not stop taking xarelto® rivaroxaban without talking to the doctor who prescribes it for you. stopping may increase your risk of having a stroke. get medical help right away if you develop any signs or symptoms of bleeding, like unusual bruising or tingling. you may have a higher risk of bleeding if you take xarelto® with aspirin products, nsaids or blood thinners. talk to your doctor before taking xarelto® if you currently have abnormal bleeding. xarelto® can cause bleeding, which can be serious, and rarely may lead to death. you are likely to bruise more easily on xarelto®, and it may take longer for bleeding to stop. tell your doctors you are taking xarelto® before any planned medical or dental procedures. before starting xarelto®, tell your doctor about any conditions, such as kidney, liver or bleeding problems. ready to change your routine? ask your doctor about once-a-day xarelto®. for more information including cost support options, call 1-888-xarelto or visit goxarelto.com.
11:00 am
yeah... try new alka seltzer fruit chews. they work fast on heartburn and taste awesome. these are good. told ya! i'm feeling better already. [ male announcer ] new alka seltzer fruits chews. enjoy the relief! good an. live from sanford, florida, outside the sem notice county courthouse waiting for the jury to reach a verdict in the george zimmerman murder trial. >> we're going to send you back to deliberate. thank you very much. you are excused. >> right now the six-person panel is debating zimmerman's fate. we have every angle covered on this saturday afternoon including a live interview with the attorney for trayvon martin's family in just a few moments and also in the news. >> it is really overwhelming to see how many people have been willing to be civically engaged in a way that is respectful

113 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on