Skip to main content

tv   Lockup  MSNBC  October 26, 2013 7:00pm-8:01pm PDT

7:00 pm
>> due to mature subject matter viewer discretion is advised. >> what is wrong with you. >> an inmate's troubled past leads to angry outbursts in the jail. if i'm to the point i'm mad, we're going to have a problem. >> i had put him in segregation. the moment he got here because of combative nature and the way he was acting.
7:01 pm
>> another inmate arrives after an alleged crime spree that sounds like it's out of a movie. >> like i was in a dream and waking up hearing for the crazy parts. >> i allowed myself to be accustomed to the darker side of life very young. >> a young mother could go to prison if found guilty of robbery and the father of her children faces the same possibility. >> she does follow you but at the same time she likes to be the quarterback and when i'm the quarterback it doesn't work. tulsa, oklahoma, is ranked as one of the nation's most livable cities but that doesn't make it immune to crime as both
7:02 pm
the employees and temporary residents at the tulsa county jail know all too well. on any given day, there are about 1800 men and women incarcerated here. while some have been convicted, most are only accused of crimes and are awaiting trial or resolution of their cases. >> let me see who's winning. >> chef deputy michelle runs the jail. >> when i first started 18 years ago, public drunks were coming in every weekend. now and then you would get a murderer. today, a lot more frequent. the public drunks and the simple charges aren't coming through. now we're looking at charges of meth, assault with a deadly, shooting with intent to kill and it's hard to see but that's what we're dealing with. >> joseph jerome could serve as an example of an inmate who goes beyond the public drunk. his alleged crime spree made local headlines. he is accused of being high,
7:03 pm
stealing a car, attempting to kidnap two people at a convenience store, firing a gun at an apartment building, crashing into another car, leading police on a high-speed chase, and bursting into a tulsa casino with a loaded shot gun. in all, he was charged with 14 crimes. he has pled not guilty to all but admits his night got off to a bad start. >> basically did a shot of meth, and i don't really remember much else, like i was really messed up in the head. a bunch of people been telling me a bunch of crazy stuff. >> like right now i got to talk to my family. it's real emotional because my life in the free world could possibly be over. because i simply let somebody shoot me up with something and i didn't know what it was.
7:04 pm
>> he thinks the meth may have been laced with bath salts which prompts extreme aggressive behavior and paranoia. >> it was like i was in a dream and kept waking up here and there for the crazy parts like pow, hit the car. you know what i mean. now i'm shooting in this house like i don't remember, i don't remember driving, i don't remember how i get to these different places. none of that. so you know, was that bath salt? i have no idea. it wasn't meth. >> he says he started doing meth at age 13. and that it has led to four prior convictions totaling 17 years in prison. the most serious was for accessory to murder. he had been out for six months, prior to his last arrest. >> all i know is that drugs took me down a bad road and i seen stuff that you know, you just, you ain't got no business being around. >> since his arrest 11 days
7:05 pm
earlier, giroux has been in a single cell where he is locked down 23 hours a day and has none of the privileges afforded other inmates. >> i put him in segregation from the moment he got here because of combative nature and the way he was acting there is no way that was going to happen that he goes to a general population pod. >> his booking on the night of his alleged crime spree was capture bid jail surveillance cameras. the process is uneventful until a short time later when he was in a holding cell and begins punching the door. moments later, he removes the draw string from his shorts and ties it around his neck. when staff notice, they assume it could be a suicide attempt and swarm him in order to remove it.
7:06 pm
soon after they leave, he becomes enraged again and head butts the door. though his behavior has stabilized sergeant collette who runs the units had another for isolating him as well. >> his words were i'm not housing with no mexican. he refused to house with anybody that was mexican, and that is not permitted here. mr. giroux will stay in segregation until we modify his behavior and housing with a mex is can is not so bad after all. >> most inmates prefer to live in the jail's general population. they enjoy more time out of their cells. televisions, and the ability to
7:07 pm
social ides with others. sometimes that leads to conflict. >> we just had an officer call on the radio she needed help. don't know what the issue is but we should find out shortly. >> can i go ahead and fight if i won't get in trouble? >> no fighting. that's the gist. >> i'm going to do something i'm going to do it to get out. >> get her out of here. >> crawford has been restrained by detention officers. after a conflict with another inmate. >> off of me. you better let my handcuffs go like this. let them go. >> crawford is currently awaiting trial on a charge of trafficking crack cocaine. she's pled not guilty. >> get off my foot. get off my foot.
7:08 pm
>> after crawford trips one of the officers and steps on her foot, more officers rush to the scene. >> calm down. >> you act like -- >> whenever you have an inmate that's being physically aggressive, we don't really like to take chances. we'd like to have as much people as possible to handle any situation that occurs. >> stop grab my wrist like that. what is wrong with you. >> hold on. >> i swear to god you're wrong. i didn't do nothing. >> if you keep acting up you're going to -- >> i'm not acting up. they try to break my arms.
7:09 pm
>> just be quiet. >> crawford is taken to the women's segregation unit where she will remain confined to her cell 23 hours per day, pending an investigation into the matter. >> let it pass. it's a moment in time. >> coming up. >> we was physically fighting and then he hit me too hard so yeah, i stabbed him. >> crawford's troubled past and -- >> they brought you in the first time the reason you went to seg you refused to house with mexicans. >> joseph explains himself. [ male announcer ] every inch, every minute,
7:10 pm
every second -- we chip away. at advancing safety with technology, like seeing every curve, even when you don't, being a second set of eyes, or having stopping power when you need it most. it's not intuition, it's intelligence. this is the new 2014 jeep grand cherokee. it is the best of what we're made of. well-qualified lessees can lease the 2014 grand cherokee laredo 4x4 for $359 a month.
7:11 pm
the recent increase in cafeteria prices is not cool. when you vote for flo, we'll have discounts. ice-cream discounts. multi-cookie discounts. pizza loyalty discounts! [ kids chanting "flo!" ] i also have some great ideas on car insurance. [ silence ] finding you discounts since back in the day. call or click today. i like her.
7:12 pm
inside the tulsa county jail detention officers say they restrained rosheta crawford as she was about to get in a fight with another inmate.
7:13 pm
>> doing me wrong. >> crawford denies the allegation. >> that's what they accuse me of doing was starting an altercation. i said if you all going to move me from this pod i may as well fight the girl. may as well get a reason to go to seg. may as well have a reason. they stop me in my tracks. >> you have an anger issue? >> that's what they told me but i don't believe i do. if i'm really mad to the point i can't take it no more i write. if i'm to the point you're here in my face we have a problem, you know. >> only 20 years old crawford had numerous stays at tulsa county dating back to age 16 when she was sent to the juvenile facility after stabbing a man she says was physically abusive. >> he put his finger in my face like he was about to tell me
7:14 pm
what to do. >> then you stabbed him? >> no, then we was physically fighting and then he hit me too hard so yeah, i stabbed him. i had cut him on the neck. >> where'd you get the knife? >> i always have pocket knives on me. >> crawford will remain in segregation until a disciplinary hearing on her alleged altercation is completed. inmates can be sent to segregation for any number of rule violations including the one committed by adrianna lopez. >> did you check your gummies? >> she did. >> lopez has a 7-day stay in segregation for stealing gummy candy from the deputy station in her housing unit. >> for some reason she thought it was okay to go behind my desk and knows that i'm a stickler on no going behind my desk. she thought i wasn't looking and i was. >> didn't bother me. the gummies are really good.
7:15 pm
>> can't keep a straight face. they were really g. i mean they were very fresh. i must say that. they were fresh. >> lopez is back in tulsa county just three months after serving 30 days here on a joy riding conviction. >> don't like tulsa, oklahoma very much. come on vacation, leave on probation, come back on a citation. it's just an easy place to get in trouble. >> this time she's charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and resisting arrest. but she also faces a more serious charge. strong arm robbery in neighboring creek county. she has pled not guilty to all three charges. >> i allowed myself to be accustomed to the darker side of life very young. i learned how to do drugs at a very young age, the moment i hit
7:16 pm
18 i started stripping. it will eat you up, consume you, that lifestyle. i'm just a lost child trying to get back to my adulthood, really, because i can't get back to my childhood because i have two children i'm supposed to being a mother to. >> you really had a quick jump in your cuffs. you understand me. >> if lopez is struggling with the responsibilities of both adulthood and parenthood the same might be true of the father of her two children, matthew west. he is currently incarcerated about 60 yards down the hall in the men's segregation unit for arguing with a jail nurse. >> adreena lopez, my friend, my confidante. my baby's mama, my friend ever me. i love her to death. sometimes to the bitter end it could equal that. we have a very volatile relationship.
7:17 pm
>> i've been to jail more times than i can sit here and waste you. i'm from tulsa, born and bred. there ain't nowhere i can't go i don't know someone. ain't a pod that don't know me. i got felonies all over my face. i've got drug dealers stamped all over my mouth. >> in fact, drugs led west to two prior prison terms for possession. a charge of domestic abuse against adrianna while out on parole returned him to prison a third time. the charge was later dismissed. >> that night it was one of them times adrianna was trying to take the lead and i wasn't trying to give up the reins and it spun out of control and the police came. >> we're like oil an water at times. we don't mix. but when we do it's really good. so i mean, we just finally decided that we should be together forever. and he's here as well on the same case.
7:18 pm
strong armed robbery. which doesn't sound very appealing to someone who is trying to get married but hey, you know, to each his own. >> west is not only adrianna's co-defendant on the strong armed robbery charge, he is also charged in tulsa county for unauthorized use of a vehicle. he, too, pled not guilty to all charges. five years older than adrianna he admits he has not been a positive influence on her. >> because of me and because of my lifestyle and because of the things a lot of her negative things are because of me, she very much does follow me. at the same time she likes to be the quarterback and when i'm the quarterback and she likes to be the wide receiver it doesn't work. >> coming up. >> i allowed my mom to raise my son almost just for the fact alone that i don't want to ruin their lives, i don't want to make their lives miserable by being a bad mom. >> adrianna lopez thinks about the children she's left behind. >> how many times have you tried to kill yourself?
7:19 pm
>> a few. >> joseph giroux asks for help. which means it's never been easier to get a new passat, awarded j.d. power's most appealing midsize car, two years in a row. and right now you can drive one home for practically just your signature. get zero due at signing, zero down, zero deposit, and zero first month's payment on any new 2014 volkswagen. hurry, this offer ends october 31st. for details, visit vwdealer.com today. at afraud could meanuld blower credit scores. and higher interest rates when you apply for a credit card. it's a problem waiting to happen. check your credit score, check your credit report at experian.com.
7:20 pm
"stubborn love" by the lumineers did you i did. email? so what did you think of the house? did you see the school ratings? oh, you're right. hey babe, i got to go. bye daddy! have a good day at school, ok? ...but what about when my parents visit? ok. i just love this one... and it's next to a park. i love it. i love it too. here's our new house... daddy! you're not just looking for a house. you're looking for a place for your life to happen.
7:21 pm
help the gulf when we made recover and learn the gulf, bp from what happened so we could be a better, safer energy company. i can tell you - safety is at the heart of everything we do. we've added cutting-edge technology, like a new deepwater well cap and a state-of-the-art monitoring center, where experts watch over all drilling activity twenty-four-seven. and we're sharing what we've learned, so we can all produce energy more safely. our commitment has never been stronger.
7:22 pm
the detention officers who work in the booking department at the tulsa county jail are always ready for the unexpected. >> never know what police officer is going to bring in here. learn to deal with it over years in working here. >> joseph giroux's arrival was preceded in a night in when he went on a crime spree trying to kidnap a couple at a store and leading police on a wild high-speed chase. before he was arrested at a tulsa casino, with a loaded sawed off shot gun. >> he was the inmate that claimed he was given some kind of mind altering drug or something that he had no idea what he was doing. >> giroux who recently injured
7:23 pm
his hand after punching the door of his holding cell has been in segregation because of his behavior and a comment he made about not wanting to house with mexicans. now, he's requested a meeting with sergeant collette who runs the unit. >> when they brought you in the first time the reason you went to seg according to their records you refused to house with the mexicans. okay. >> not with any mexicans, just the certain person i got a problem with and i got a broke hand so i didn't really want to go to that pod. >> okay. so wasn't just arbitrarily any. it was that particular. >> they are trying to put me in there with someone i know i'm going to have a problem with in that pod and my hand's broke. i'm liable to be here for a long time. i ain't got nothing to do but go crazy with my thoughts in here how much time i'm going to get. >> all right. let's do this. let's wait till we get that hand healed, so i don't have some
7:24 pm
youngster doing something to you where you're going to have to defend yourself or something like that. okay. you're not in here forever but i wanted to clarify that mexican thing, you know, we don't tolerate that crap. >> yeah. >> bottom line, don't lie to me i won't lie to you. >> i won't. >> got my word. >> all i need. you know that. all right then. >> giroux might get his wish to leave segregation for a general population housing unit. adriana lopez completed seven days in segregation after stealing candy from a detention officer's desk. but when she returned to her unit there were no available beds due to overcrowding. so for now, she will sleep on what's known as a boat, a plastic shell that supports a mattress. >> this is my bed. nice, isn't it. it's a boat. with a mat.
7:25 pm
technically legally they have to have us at least two to three inches off the floor. this is their two to three inches off the floor. it's about as good as it gets when you're in the boat room. >> though she must sleep on a boat, lopez has at least had her privileges restored. but she still can't see the man who is both her fiance and co-defendant in the robbery case. matthew west is housed in the men's segregation unit. >> legally, i think we are common law married because we said we were married when i was in the penitentiary. not sure, i know we're engaged. i know that. i mean i proposed to the girl like five or six or seven times. yes. >> did you give her a ring? >> yes, i have, more than one. i made her a ring one time. yeah. >> that is my soul like that's my -- that's my heart and soul. as a matter of fact, baby, i love you. i love you so much.
7:26 pm
no one's even catching this, that's the great part about it. got to put it back away. oh, my gosh. i feel like a little school girl. >> there we go. >> i owe it to her and to her mother to marry her. i do at that. and i know that sounds odd and crazy but that's i mean, i do love her. >> while marriage might cement the couple as a family the fact is they already have one. their 6-year-old son lives with lopez's mother in florida and their 4-year-old son lives with west's parents in oklahoma. >> these are temporary facts. even with this case that we're on right now she's going to get out. she's going to have a chance no matter what the situation, i'm going to make sure she's going to be where she needs to be and in a position she can at least have the opportunity. what she does when she's at the plate that's on her. >> i had to explain to my 6-year-old that i was in jail because i did something wrong and i didn't follow the rules and what happens when you don't
7:27 pm
follow the rules is like big people time out. you go to jail. like he understood but he was still very innocent about it. but okay, when you finish being bad can you come home? kills me. every time. because my kids are my life, you know. and i've given up the time with them, i allowed my mom to raise my son almost, just for the fact alone that i don't want to ruin their lives, i don't want to make their lives miserable by being a bad mom. you know. >> coming up. >> she's my wife like i love her to death like she's everything. >> richada's partner pays a visit. the challenges of being apart raise tensions. color, and design. showing up where we least expect it. and taking inspiration from our wildest dreams. because kohler doesn't see the world in fixtures and faucets.
7:28 pm
it reimagines. coloring our lives in ways only bold could do, it's no wonder the world can't wait to see what kohler does next. ♪ [ male announcer ] you know that family? the one whose eye for design is apparent in every detail. whose refined taste is best characterized by the company they keep. well...say hello to the newest member of the family. the cadillac srx, awarded best interior design of any luxury brand. take advantage of this exceptional offer on the 2013 cadillac srx, with premium care maintenance included. it guides you to a number that will change it guides you to a number your life: your sleep number setting. it even knows you by name. now it's easier than ever to experience deep, restful sleep with the sleep number bed's dualair technology. at the touch of a button, the sleep number bed adjusts to each person's ideal comfort and support.
7:29 pm
and you'll only find it at a sleep number store. where right now our newest innovations are available with 36-month financing. sleep number. comfort individualized. afghanistan in 2009. on the u.s.s. saratoga in 1982. [ male announcer ] once it's earned, usaa auto insurance is often handed down from generation to generation because it offers a superior level of protection and because usaa's commitment to serve current and former military members and their families is without equal. begin your legacy. get an auto insurance quote. usaa. we know what it means to serve.
7:30 pm
here is what's happening. five are dead after a shooting at an apartment building in phoenix, arizona. police say the shooter was a white man in his 50s who died from a self-inflicted gunshot
7:31 pm
wound. the man shot and killed two dogs. arrest is made after five were injured on a ride at the north carolina state fair. investigation reportedly showed the ride had been tampered with and safety devices compromised. back to lockup. >> due to mature subject matter viewer discretion is advised. perched on the edge of downtown tulsa, the david l. moss criminal justice center known as the tulsa county jail, is managed by command staff and a team of sheriff deputies. their primary task is to ensure the safety and security of inmates. >> if you give me some of those you can take some of these. >> some 300 volunteers like susan stockwell, play an important role as well. they provide services that help
7:32 pm
ease the monotony of jail. >> when you don't have anything to read, this is just -- they are so happy to see me come. these are books from the library. they have been given to me by a resale shop or friends that bring them to my house because they have read them. i'm a volunteer. i have a full-time job. and been doing this for every thursday for seven years. here's one, darling. okay. >> richada crawford says when she was a girl books played an important part in her life. she was a good student but the things changed at home when she announced in sixth grade she was gay. >> people love me at school, people love to be around me. my mother, why must you, you know what i'm saying, for being gay, me being who i am. when you think of your mother you think of the person that's going to be there for you, that's the person that uplifts you. you get picked on at school she say everything okay, you're
7:33 pm
still beautiful. growing up it was the otter way around. >> other problems at home including sexual molestization caused her to lose the things she valued and her rage left her crying. >> it got to the point i was rebelling. i felt like i'm going to be hurt i want everybody hurt around me. that's why i would go to juvenile for assault and battery. a lot of stuff, i was a rebel. i really was. like you couldn't tell me nothing, you couldn't control me. that's why i was so out of control. i hated to be controlled. >> now at age 20 crawford is awaiting trial on a charge of drug trafficking. prosecutors have offered her a plea deal to serve 85% after 15-year sentence or about 12 years. still reluctant to accept the deal, crawford will discuss with it the woman she considers her spouse, star brown. >> she's my wife. i love her to death. she's like everything.
7:34 pm
she was like best friends with my sister. when i came here she was supportive here for me, anything i needed, here for my kids. >> star has three children. >> two boys and one girl and i love them kids to death. >> i really miss you. how you been feeling? >> they came to see me yesterday and like i told them it was 15 years. he said well you would have to do 12 years which is 85% of that. he said or you can goo 15 years in the program. >> what's the rip program? >> boot camp, stand up or -- all different type. not going to do that. so what. >> so i'm going to sign my signature on that. >> so they are not even talking about dropping it or nothing. i mean dropping it down to a lesser charge or nothing. >> i'm just saying, i just want you home like i want you out. >> you don't think i want to be
7:35 pm
home. >> i know you do. >> i feel scared still. at the hearing, what i guess the public defender told her like it made me lose a lot of hope. i was more hopeful before i came. >> with the women facing the possibility of now being separated for years the visit takes a turn. >> what you been doing? >> reading. >> and? >> writing. >> girl don't [ bleep ] like there is a lot to do. >> a whole lot of bitches. i'm saying like. >> who are you talking to? >> my damn self. >> every time i ask you tell me the same person. >> erica, i do talk to erica. >> not yourself. >> if i ain't talking to erica i be talking to myself. >> for real.
7:36 pm
you say you're insecure. >> i know you ain't talking. >> you talking about inmates. >> well duh. you are all together. okay. and you out there and you got -- >> so what. i mean you got it better because you acht got to deal with. you got all of the bitches looking at you. you an inmate. i'm not playing with you. >> you are sexy [ bleep ]. >> and i'm an outmate. so. i'm just saying. i'm just saying like you are close, close in with these people. >> she still hanging up on that 12 years. i told him not even to think about that. i'm not going to put my signature on. if i get 12 years, i don't see us getting in a relationship. we can still be friends, pen pals or something but i i wouldn't expect for her to keep on doing everything she's doing. that would be real selfish of me. >> i just hope you come home.
7:37 pm
i love you. >> i love you too. >> i'm going to miss you. >> really? >> yes. >> she told me like if you're giving me a long sentence i want you to live your life. my partner whoever i choose after that is going to have to understand like this is what it is you know. she not going nowhere. you know what i'm saying. i'm just waiting for light to be shined on this situation. i just hope they let her come home. >> coming up. >> are you coming in here? >> because they call me stupid. i thought i would beat her ass. >> you didn't. >> new problems for adriana lopez. and. >> i got like a bunch of demon faces. >> joseph giroux tries to make
7:38 pm
peace with his demons with a visit to the jail psychiatrist. >> we're not going to let this get you. ♪ [ woman #2 ] to share a moment. ♪ [ man #1 ] to remember my grandmother. [ woman #3 ] to show my love. ♪ [ woman #4 ] because life needs flavor. ♪ [ woman #5 ] to travel the world without leaving home. [ male announcer ] whatever the reason. whatever the dish. make it delicious with swanson. [ woman #1 ] that's why i cook.
7:39 pm
medicare open enrollment.wanson. of year again. time to compare plans and costs. you don't have to make changes. but it never hurts to see if you can find better coverage, save money, or both. and check out the preventive benefits you get after the health care law. open enrollment ends december 7th. so now's the time.
7:40 pm
visit medicare.gov or call 1-800-medicare
7:41 pm
♪ when jesus is my sunshine ♪ constant friend is he ♪ his eye is on the sparrow ♪ and i know he watches i know
7:42 pm
he watches i know he watches me ♪ >> adriana lopez says she learned to sing hymns in the sixth grade. now at age 23, lopez's life has taken some turns. prior to her latest arrest for strong arm robbery she was working as a dancer at a tulsa strip club. >> i mean it's not hard to be good at being exotic dancer. i'm not vegas good or nothing but i'm good for oklahoma. it's more about the way you talk to people, your personality and how good you are with people than it is about dancing. and i have the gift of gab that i do. >> but lopez's gift for gab has gotten her into trouble again. she's on her way back to segregation for threatening an officer. >> know who i am? >> yep. >> why you coming in here? >> because they call me stupid.
7:43 pm
>> you didn't. really. >> yes, i did. i won't let an inmate call me stupid. why a v.o. call me stupid. >> okay. at least you're honest about it. >> room? >> oh, yeah, we got room at the inn. you going to threaten my staff that's a half a step away from hitting my staff. i wouldn't be surprised if they do put a charge of threatening a public official which is a state offense in this state. >> though it's unlikely criminal charges will follow, the normally energetic lopez will spend at least a few days in segregation. locked down 23 hours a day with nothing to do. >> you won't get your things for the first 24 hours. nothing. hey, that's why our hotel sucks will never make travelocity or orbits. we'll show you to your room but we won't put a mint on your pillow.
7:44 pm
>> joseph giroux is also unhappy with the sparse accommodations of his segregation cell and asked to move to general population. awaiting trial on 14 charges related to an alleged crime spree that ended with his arrest in a tulsa casino with a loaded shot gun, he could be in jail for a while. he's already spent 17 years of his life in prison on various drug convictions and accessory to murder. he doesn't have a lot to show for it except for the tattoos he acquired there. >> says white pride, i got demon faces filling it all in, just like a collage. pretty much skulls and demons. >> neck tattoo carries a different message. >> cut my throat one time and i filled it in. covered the scar in and branded,
7:45 pm
basically, jesus saves on my neck. more of a reminder to me when i looked in the mirror every day. >> giroux's tattoos might represent opposing forces in his life, but he says that's been an issue for a long time. and now he wants to deal with it. >> i put a request in to the psych doctor speaking to him about issues i had pretty much since i was young. that i've kept hidden because i didn't want people to think i was crazy. >> joseph, i think, has been struggling for many years. he didn't want to talk about hearing voices, he didn't want that to be something connected to his personality or what people think of him. and yet, when there is that sort of a mental condition going on, it's inescapable and he's had to live it and try to cope with it. >> i'll try to change. i want to be different.
7:46 pm
i don't want to be like this. i never want to give up hope. give up hope it's over. basically like i've always had like this suicidal voice in my head every day like telling me you know, to kill myself. like every day there's never been a day that went by that i haven't at some point thought about killing myself. >> how many times have you tried to kill yourself? >> a few. a few. >> do i see a jesus tattoo on your neck there? jesus saves? is that part of your life now? spiritual experience? >> trying to, yeah. >> how does that work out for you now? >> i kind of get mad at myself because i feel like i only turn to him in desperate need like this. then i don't stay focused on god when things are you know, normal or whatever. >> well, at this point we need to make a plan for your mental
7:47 pm
health care. would you be interested in taking some medication again? see if we can have that assist with quieting down the voices in your head that are troubling you, fights off depression as well, and then i'll check up and see how you're doing. okay. we're not going to let this get you. we want to partner up with you and fight this with you. okay. >> thank you. >> i haven't given up hope. but i'm losing it. >> i think he was quite genuine about his concern for his life. i don't know that he's going to try suicide today, that's always one of those very difficult jobs of the mental health team is to determine who is at risk and who is not.
7:48 pm
>> crawford. >> richada crawford has not sought out counseling. the anger she had might have gotten her in trouble again. she happened to be on the phone with her girlfriend star brown, when detention officers ordered all inmates back to their cells to deal with an unrelated issue. >> the d.o. cut off my phone call. i wasn't on the call five minutes. i don't know what happened. >> i don't know the situation. she probably was told to do something, started talking back from there it just escalated. i don't even know. but knowing her and how her mouth is, that's probably what got her in trouble. all right.
7:49 pm
most of your problems are what, two inches below your nose. >> yeah. >> according to staff, crawford became uncooperative when told to get off the phone. >> at this point she is telling the two male supervisor and the deputy, they can't touch her because it's rape and it's illegal for a male officer to touch her. of course that's not the case. the corral is giving verbal orders she is not going for. me and the backup have our spray. corporal but her in the arm bar. she's not hurt. she starts kicking. i inform her she is not allowed to kick. any assault is a criminal offense so we take it to the next step we're in the hallway. and you see that we're struggling with her. we're not taking her on the cart. she is too volatile. we have to walk her down to the
7:50 pm
office. >> coming up. >> lifted the film. there is content with your leg in her body. >> i understand that but did you see me turn around directly and kick her. >> crawford faces jail disciplinary board. and major transitions for both joseph giroux and adriana lopez. from what happened so we could be a better, safer energy company. i can tell you - safety is at the heart of everything we do. we've added cutting-edge technology, like a new deepwater well cap and a state-of-the-art monitoring center, where experts watch over all drilling activity twenty-four-seven. and we're sharing what we've learned, so we can all produce energy more safely. our commitment has never been stronger.
7:51 pm
at any minute... ...you could be a victim of fraud. most people don't even know it. fraud could mean lower credit scores, higher loan rates... ...and maybe not getting the car you want. it's a problem waiting to happen. check your credit score, check your credit report, at experian.com america's number one provider of online credit reports and scores. don't take chances. go to experian.com. avo: sales event is "sback.hen drive" which means it's never been easier to get a new passat, awarded j.d. power's most appealing midsize car, two years in a row.
7:52 pm
and right now you can drive one home for practically just your signature. get zero due at signing, zero down, zero deposit, and zero first month's payment on any new 2014 volkswagen. hurry, this offer ends october 31st. for details, visit vwdealer.com today.
7:53 pm
inside the tulsa county jail joseph giroux still awaits trial for his alleged crime spree. now at least he can be around other inmates as his request to move to a general population housing pod was approved. >> they came and asked me had i calmed down enough to go to a pod. i said yeah. that psychiatrist guy put me on medicine and got me leveled out so i'm not going crazy no more. i feel better. medicine i wouldn't say it fixed me but it did help.
7:54 pm
still battle a lot of issues like in my head thinking about stuff that i did and regret. regret what i did. hope they give me another chance. >> giroux has also had surgery on the hand he injured after punching his cell door. on the wall of his new cell he found meaning in a message left by a former occupant. >> i kind of started doing is starting to be thankful for the people that i do have and the stuff that is happening for me instead of being mad about the stuff that isn't. >> specifically, giroux says he is thankful for what his parents and grandmother provided before drugs and crime consumed him. >> these friends that you spend all your time running around with instead of hanging out with us knowing we're going to feed you, we've given you everything, we help you do anything, take you anywhere, why you need drugs, all of this stuff like
7:55 pm
and the people i was running around with give a damn if i'm in here, got money on my books if i'm hungry. there are a cup le people showing up knowing that i'm loved and i'm thankful for the stuff i do have. >> it's been a tougher week for richada crawford. she discovered the best deal prosecutors would offer on charges of drug trafficking amounts to 12 years in prison. then she got in trouble for kicking at staff trying to return her to her cell. she has a hearing on the matter. >> tell me exactly what happened. during this day. >> i didn't assault nobody. i'd be more than happy to tell you. i did not assault nobody. if i'm going to assault somebody i'm not going to be in handcuffs. >> can i jump in. this is what you need to understand about the law. it's not the intent it's the
7:56 pm
action. you either -- listen to me. yes you did because when we looked at the film there is contact with your leg and her body. that constitutes -- >> i understand that. did you see me turn around directly and kick her. >> that's what i'm telling you. in that situation when it comes to the law it's either yes or no and it's not your intent. you can bring that up but in terms of an officer of the law, it's either it happened or it didn't. >> i'm asking earlier what is your history of behavior problems. he said you had a few minor but not so serious. i'm going to take that in consideration. okay. you understand. so with that said i'm going to find you guilty, but i'm going to reduce it down to two weeks instead of 30 days. >> crawford has avoided additional criminal charges for the incident. and even though she says she never struck out at an officer,
7:57 pm
she will spend two weeks in segregation. adriana lopez's future has become a bit more into focus. she has accepted a deal for two years probation, on her tulsa county charges of drug paraphernalia possession and resisting arrest. now she's about to leave one jail for another. >> i love you, babe. i miss you. hurry up. do what you have to do. that's about it. >> soon to be on a van headed to the creek county jail to face additional charge of strong arm robbery, lopez has left her tulsa county jail scrubs behind and changed into the clothes she was arrested in. the transfer policy requires her to leave much of her other possessions behind. >> that's it. >> she's only allowed to take what will fit in a small yellow
7:58 pm
pouch. >> can i see the bags. that way i know if this will fit. so i know i can squeeze some of this in. you would just throw it in and it wouldn't fit. >> no. you don't know me. so you don't know how i pack stuff. >> man. men usually don't pack very well. >> i've done plenty of road trips so i know how to pack. >> as lopez struggles with packing her pouch. her fiance and co-defendant matthew west has just dedicated a work of in-cell graffiti to her. >> it's a sacred heart, a symbol of passion. jesus holding a sacred heart. i have it tattooed on my chest. >> bound to happen.
7:59 pm
it's part of life. lights like you know, i miss her. i mean, it wouldn't matter if she was three cells down. i would have no contact so i would miss her the same. >> you are two peas in a pod. >> i do know that. sometimes it's our blessing. sometimes --
8:00 pm
due to mature subject matter, viewer discretion is advised. it's always been rumored about this war between these two groups. when is the war going to happen? when is the bloodbath going to begin? >> an inmate with an influential family in one gang joins its archrival. >> i didn't want to be part of that organization. the female inmate also has ties to both gangs and now her mail has jail officials concerned.

5 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on