Skip to main content

tv   Hardball With Chris Matthews  MSNBCW  May 6, 2014 11:00pm-12:01am PDT

11:00 pm
administration and the team. you had to night's "last word." thank you for your time. >> thank you. >> i appreciate it. >> star witness in trenton. let's play "hardball." good evening, i'm chris matthews in washington. let me start tonight with this breakthrough in the christie case. today, right on television, a christie aide said on the record that she had been told to destroy evidence, to cover up the efforts by trenton officials to punish mayors who didn't play ball. the person she said gave that order was bridgel kelly. the christie aide who sent that eye-popping e-mail, "time for some traffic problems in ft. lee." more damning than this evidence
11:01 pm
of cover-up was the insiders culture of the christie operation that was exposed today, this time on the public record. the star witness who testified christine renna said the fact that the office might be punishing a mayor for political reasons was business as usual. certainly nothing to blow the whistle over. with this, the new jersey investigating committee got its first on the record testimony of the inside culture of a governor's office where punishment and reward were apparently meted out in the run-up to his reelection. and the big question, from how high up did the orders come. christina said she didn't think started with bridgel kelly. she described her as someone who took her guidance from above. all of this is out there for the legislators, the media and the national republican king makers to see. the notion that this tight skrooutny on governor christie represents a partisan attack today lost out to the fact that we are now hearing real officials talking real official business in the nvj nj governor's office.
11:02 pm
the prospect is now the reality, people are now testifying. john wisniewski is the co-chair of the committee investigating the bridge scandal. and brian murphy is a political analyst and former managing editor of politicsnj.com. as i mentioned for the first time on television, we saw a christie employee under oath today describing how her boss told her to destroy evidence. this is christina renna recounting a dramatic conversation back in december when reporters were getting the first real indications that something had gone terribly wrong with those lane closures. here's renna. >> she led by saying i didn't know anything about this. the lane closures. i countered with, well, yes, you did because mayor sokolich
11:03 pm
called evan and i e-mailed you about it. and that's when the tune started to change. that's when her demeanor changed and she knew exactly what e-mail was talking about. and she sounded very nervous and then she said, you know, just do me a favor and get rid of it. i said you want me to delete the e-mail? i said that to her. and she said yes, listen, i'm getting a lot of questions and i'm just really nervous. and, you know, i can't take getting grilled about this over and over again. >> assemblyman, what does this mean? >> well, what this means is that the investigation that we've led so far by getting documents has taken a new direction with the testimony of christine renna. what's troubling more, even than the fact that christine renna was asked to deliver the e-mail was she felt uncomfortableable going to anyone in the governor's office to say hey, this sounds wrong, this seems
11:04 pm
wrong, what do i do about it. her testimony was she was afraid that reporting the request to destroy the e-mail would have cost her her job. >> well, chris are enna also revealed this piece of dra mat eck and damning revelation, how she apparently didn't think bridget kelly had done anything wrong by requesting that she destroy that potential piece of evidence. renna said she didn't tell anyone about kelly's request until january 9, the day after the bergen record blew this story wide open by revealing that bridget kelly had been directly involved. here's renna today. >> i didn't think it rose to a level of having to go to an ethics officer for it. i didn't. not at the time. >> you were aware at the time there were legislative hearings on this issue. >> i was, yes. >> and knot withstanding that there were legislative hearings
11:05 pm
on this issue, bridget kelly asks you to delete an e-mail from your own personal e-mail account. you delete it, preserve it somewhere else, but you don't think it rises to the level to talk to somebody? >> i didn't, no. >> when i heard that, i hear a culture which it's considered business as usual to punish a mayor and also to cover up the fact that you did it by deleting evidence. i don't know any other way to wash that but her assumption was that's the world in which she worked. >> right. and in that context, it is a stunning thing. there are legislative hearings going on at the time she's asked to delete this. there are press stories that have been going on and on for weeks now. and according to christie's own testimony, she's already asked people in this administration to begin digging into this. it's one thing for bridget kelly to ask her to do this, but the one thing that really gives us a sense of what the culture is
11:06 pm
that christina renna went ahead and deleted the e-mail. she forwarded it to her personal account, but she did, in fact, delete it from the one she had kept it in previously. so i think the idea that -- we had talked a lot about the culture and what the culture would permit and what kind of office this was and this would tell us what kind of administration christie has. we got a glimpse of it today. . something like this, where you're being asked to delete an e-mail about an issue that's on the front pages of newspapers, that doesn't meet the bar of what you would go to an ethics officer for. >> she said bridget kelly wasn't the architect she thought of the lane closures. here's her exchange with luis greenwald. >> do you believe that bridget kelly broke from what was her persona, her responsibility, and for whatever reason in the exchange of e-mails to you broke from her normal course of action and that bridget kelly orchestrated and was the architect of the theory around a
11:07 pm
study and to take it from three lanes to one. do you believe that? >> i wouldn't say she was the architect. but she was instrumental in the process. i believe that, yes. >> well, she's not the architect. assemblyman, what does that tell you. do you believe that christina renna was keeping a secret here because she's afraid to go public with it? or is that the norm in the office? what is it? >> i think that's part of the troubling pattern that's emerging here. if you remember back in december, we heard testimony from employees of the port authority, and they said closing the lanes was wrong, it was unprecedented, they knew it would add badly. but they feared for their jobs. they dare not anger david wildstein. and now this woman is saying i didn't raise the awareness about this e-mail because i feared for my job.
11:08 pm
>> i heard her say, the way i watched it a couple of lines, it sounds like she's saying i don't think it rose to the level to report it. >> well, she said that, but under further questioning, with easked her, why wouldn't you go to the governor's chief council, she said if i went there, i might get in trouble and i might lose my job essentially. that's a troubling set of circumstances for any governmental administration to operate under. the people have to act under fear of their job before they could do the right thing. >> let's talk about how high up this goes. >> what about this issue she raised saying bridget kelly the governor has pointed to as the perpetrator here, the punishment of all the mayors, the governors put all the onus on the woman we're looking at on the tape here.
11:09 pm
and now we're looking at christina renna saying whoa, she's not the architect. she takes guidance from other people. how do you read that? >> that's a significant development, because obviously the mastro report wants us to believe this is something bridget kielty orchestrated. the testimony today said she may have been involved, but she's not the architect. that means we have to continue to dig to find out who exactly the architect was. >> was it your reading of what she said today under oath, the architect was her boss. i'm sorry, the architect was above her boss. >> the architect -- the testimony leads you to the conclusion that there was somebody above bridget kelly that was directing her efforts. i mean, that was the clear sentiment given by christine renna when she talked about how kelly would operate. she would take orders from above.
11:10 pm
a what we don't know who above is and how far above it goes. >> let's go to the logical conclusion it's bill stepien. but then he's now the campaign manager who's in charge of getting those mayors to endorse the governor. he's the guy, he's the kingpin. he reports to the governor. what do we make of all this? >> i think that map is really important. in understanding how the new jersey state house functions. it's clear that they share information in that building on need-to-know basis. bridget kelly hadn't been in that job long enough to become someone who's truly a member of that trusted inner circle in the waybill stepien was. you could tell the way christina renna discussed this today, there's a sense that just on the day to day interactions people have, that people above her, too, are being told information on a need to know basis.
11:11 pm
and that comment that bridget kelly made to her, trust no one, something out of the "the x files." don't trust anyone here. boy does that speak ill of how that office is run. >> here we have a ceremonial office, the only thing separating it. the governor is on the left side. and there's bridget kelly. they're all connected politically. they're working in the same place. >> right. >> chris, what i said all along is you have these people communicating op a daily basis. the question that comes to mind is how is all this going on and we're asked to believe there's not anybody sharing information. that everybody is operating in silos, nobody knows what's going on and that bridget kelly felt
11:12 pm
very comfortable in asking her assistant to delete an e-mail. it really raises some serious credibility issues. >> any one of those three people had a pizza for lunch, the other two would know. people with common sense, how was your day, what's the buzz. i've been in political offices. it's constant chatter. your thoughts finally here, brian. what does this add to the story? now we have a public record, public testimony under oath from christine renna that she was, in fact, asked to kill evidence. you certainly have now beginning of a picture. >> when the governor comes out for those pressers, he's coming
11:13 pm
out of his private office. the first office that's behind all the cameras there and to the right, that's where bridget kelly's office was. you can't go through that hall way without passing them. so i always thought that the idea that bridget kelly can run an operation out of an office like that without anyone else knowing about it is completely preposterous. unless there was some massively effective cover-up on her part. it just isn't plausible you could get away with doing something like that because the quarters are too tight will -- >> the argument the governor made on day one -- go ahead.
11:14 pm
>> when you have the issue of credibility, i wasn't talking about christina renna's testimony today, but people on the first floor who all say they knew nothing about this, and it's hard to imagine with everyone in such close proximity that there wasn't a better level of communication between people on that first floor. >> thank you so much. . coming .uh, the right strikes back as they try to take control of the u.s. senate. if they succeed, this november could mean an historic, nasty assault on president obama and yes, of course, hillary clinton. the benghazi hearings will only b be part of it. plus, playing the race card. a candidate for governor in pennsylvania is trying to bring down his party's front-runner with a racially charged attack ad top democrats say is slanderous and below the belt. ed rendell calls it one of the worst he's ever seen. and the obama administration is trying to help the nigerian government find hundreds of schoolgirls kidnapped by islamist rebels, threatening to sell them into slavery.
11:15 pm
it could be a question of blood flow. cialis tadalafil for daily use helps you be ready anytime the moment's right. you can be more confident in your ability to be ready. and the same cialis is the only daily ed tablet approved to treat ed and symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently or urgently. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medicines, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, get medical help right away for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or any allergic reactions like rash, hives, swelling of the lips, tongue or throat, or difficulty breathing or swallowing, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about experiencing cialis for daily use and a free 30-tablet trial.
11:16 pm
finally, robin wright named me her favorite washington correspondent. that's in "the side show." >> welcome back to "hardball." the republicans are taking first steps in their quest to take control of the senate. a series of primaries today. here's what the republicans will do if they succeed. they're saying they will gang up on the president with the republican dominated house and the senate passing bill designed to hurt president obama and the likely democratic nominee for next time, hillary clinton. here's some of the ways it's going to happen. they'll force obama to veto or buckle to the conservative legislation they put up.
11:17 pm
11:18 pm
>> welcome back to "hardball." the republicans are taking first steps in their quest to take control of the senate. a series of primaries today. here's what the republicans will do if they succeed. they're saying they will gang up on the president with the republican dominated house and
11:19 pm
the senate passing bill designed to hurt president obama and the likely democratic nominee for next time, hillary clinton. here's some of the ways it's going to happen. they'll force obama to veto or buckle to the conservative legislation they put up. leave obama and democrats with no chance to initiate bills of his own. republicans can stifle any obama supreme court nominees. that's a big one. the "daily beast" article says it wouldn't be surprising to see the gop give a nominee a hearing but sit on the vote. that's for the supreme court, leaving the supreme court with only eight members until they see who wins the presidency. and the big cherry on the top of this sunday, benghazi investigations hour by hour.
11:20 pm
joining me right now, the author of that piece, msnbc political analyst joan walsh. i want both of you to paint the picture. i admit this is a get out the vote effort by me. i think people should note. i think people should especially vote if they have something at stake. but this side, i think it's the progressives who have something to worry about. these numbers are not good. so what is going to happen? what's the bad at the end of the tunnel if they lose the senate? >> if the republicans control the senate as well as the house, chris, that means they control the senate calendar. mitch mcconnell, assuming he reelections. >> he could lose and republicans could still get control. republicans run the senate, they run the calendar. they say what gets to the floor, what doesn't get to the floor. they say what the committees have a hearing on, don't have hearings on.
11:21 pm
>> majority control the senate judiciary committee. >> the house has passed a lot of conservative legislation that harry reid has just blocked and said we're never going to bring this to the floor. he's protected obama in that way. if the republicans have the senate, that legislation all comes to the senate floor. obama is going to veto presumably. he's had two vetoes in his presidency, the least since james garfield who was only president for six months anyway. obama would be forced to take a lot of stand, and the republicans can pack a lot of things in appropriations bills that he's going to be really uncomfortable with. >> i think the republican goal was to make president obama's presidency himself was an asterisk. he wasn't really president. like a guy who used drugs in baseball. well, he doesn't really belong to be on the batting list of all time.
11:22 pm
if they can use the next two years to stifle the guy, to smother him politically, force him to spend all his time battling to just not sign thing, they win. >> absolutely, chris. i think what they would try to do if they had that power would be repeal his presidency. erase his legacy. it would be as though he didn't exist. they would do everything they could to chip away at the affordable care act. we would lose the contraception mandate a lot of it. i don't think we would lose all of it. but they would be able to chip away at parts of it. they would gut dodd-frank if not repeal the consumer financial protection bureau. >> but the president can still veto it. where he really gets jammed if you don't get the democrats back in the senate. supreme court nominations. ginsberg is a bit old. you never know when they're going to want to retire. and all the republicans in the senate have to do if they run the place is just sit on that. nay' done this back with johnson. wouldn't allow them to pick a supreme court justice until they left office and gave it to nixon. >> ginsberg says she's not going to retrier. she says she has no interest in that. >> i talked to about 20 from this story. a clear majority of them, democrats and republicans yeah, they would give a nominee a hearing for show. but i can totally see them, a lot of these people said i could toetdly see them just sitting on it and we would have eight supreme court justices until the
11:23 pm
year of 2016. >> you know the reporting, how close is the supreme court to flipping on roe v. wade just flip option the whole policy of a woman's right to choose. they have four votes, don't they? >> yes. i think it really could flip. and i think losing any of the more liberal of the justices appointed by democrats would be very dangerous for roe v. wade. and, you know, it's possible that they would give somebody a vote who was very conservative. i think the president would have to appoint somebody to the right of david suter. david suter couldn't get confirmed in this climate. even if they picked somebody,
11:24 pm
they would work really hard to make sure they were palatable to the conservative majority, and that's scary in its own way. i think it's very, very grim. >> we don't know where roberts will go on that. if he gets another ally on the right, he might go with the crowd. sherrod brown in ohio, your article said for a glimpse of what a republican-controlled congress would do, look to the state. senator brown says if you want to know what a wholly republican congress would do is look at what they've already done in state capitals, like in ohio. gone after voters rights, workers rights, women rights. so true. voter suppression nationwide. >> that would be a big one. >> they could stop black people from voting, they would have a
11:25 pm
real advantage. that would be the name of their game. >> women's issues, i think they would really clamp down on that. this is an example of something the house passed in 2013 that said no abortions after 20 weeks nationwide. virtually -- life of the mother was the only exception. would the senate pass that? would they want to pass that? trying to reach out to women voters. >> and if they follow their instincts on that, they might just pass it and the courts, even the court we have now might just accept it. thank you. scary times. i've said this before, only losing five seats is a good night for the democrats this november. up next, the one thing jimmy fallon saw at the dinner that everybody else missed. i procrastinated on...
11:26 pm
buying a car because i knew... it would be a scary process. truecar made it very easy... for me to negotiate, because i didn't really need to do any negotiating at all. save time, save money, and never overpay. visit truecar.com oh! the name your price tool! you tell them how much you want to pay,
11:27 pm
and they help you find a policy that fits your budget. i told you to wear something comfortable! this is a polyester blend! whoa! uh...little help? i got you! unh! it's so beautiful! man: should we call security? no, this is just getting good. the name your price tool, still only from progressive.
11:28 pm
>> late night comedians finally had a chance to react to saturday's white house correspondent dinner and jimmy fallon caught something about the president's speech we all seemed to miss. >> obama had some pretty funny lines at the din e, but since he's not a trained comedian, i think he was concerned people wouldn't know when to laugh, so he had an interesting technique to make sure people knew when to laugh. >> in 2008, my slogan was yes, we can. in 2013, my motto was control-alt-delete. these days, house republicans actually give john boehner a harder time than they gave me. which means orange really is the new black.
11:29 pm
>> that orange is the new black is one of the best lines i've ever heard. anyway, speaking of the correspondent dinner, i was thrilled to get a shoutout from robin wright of "house of cards" over the weekend. here's what she told a washington post reporter when she was asked who her favorite white house correspondent was. >> i don't live here. you guys talk to us as if we know the ins and outs. i don't know who anybody is. is chris matthews a correspondent? i love that guy. >> he covers the white house every day. >> talk about a bulldog. right? >> anyway, next up, everyone's heard of the old phrase from baretta. don't do the crime if you can't do the time. but bobby scott of virginia, there he is, thinks that kind of political sloganeering simplifies crime policy.
11:30 pm
they actually do little or nothing to reduce crime. well, congressman scott joins steve colbert last night in his latest better know the district segment. colbert tried to help the congressman come up with rhymes of his own. >> you don't think you know your stuff. put some rhymes into your crime talk. i mean, people don't think you're walking the walk. >> that's the next rhyme. >> my rhyming is sub lime. i can rhyme on a dime. see i'm trying to help you. but you got to help me out. you got to drop a few rhymes yourself if we're going to make the world a better place. >> that's. >> the problem with crime policy. we're pushing so far for an evidence-based approach where you look at the studies, look at the evidence and then you support things that actually work rather than things that -- >> make you seem like a jerk. >> i don't think so. >> he is so smart. the ugly attack ad at a high profiles governor race in pennsylvania.
11:31 pm
and top democrats sate's one of the worst ads they've ever seen. now that's a statement. with new febreze allergen reducer. [ man ] wanna see some allergens? [ together ] eww! what is that thing? they could be all around you right now. [ gasps ] ♪ how would you deal with them? um... ninjas. [ male announcer ] no need for ninjas. reduce up to 95% of inanimate allergens becoming airborne from fabrics with new, dermatologist tested febreze allergen reducer. get fresher air and breathe happy. febreze allergen reduc... ...er.
11:32 pm
11:33 pm
febreze allergen reduc... could mean less waiting for things like security backups and file downloads you'd take that test, right? well, what are you waiting for? you could literally be done with the test by now. now you could have done it twice. this is awkward. check your speed. see how fast your internet can be. switch now and add voice and tv for $34.90. comcast business built for business.
11:34 pm
11:35 pm
the president of the l.a. >> the charge of racism is in the air in pennsylvania and it's taeking place among democrats. two weeks before the democratic primary for governor, which is coming up, the front-runner tom wolf is leading his opponents by get this, 25 point, which explains a lot of what's coming here. and one of the candidates trailing him by so many points rob mccourt is running this ad. >> he spent millions on tv ads, but now serious questions tom wolf can't answer. why would he chair the campaign of a man arrested in the role of a race riot, one that left a black woman dead? why would he stand behind a man charged with first degree, an admitted racist who handed out ammunition and shouted white power. york, pennsylvania, it was an
11:36 pm
ugly episode. for tom golf, there's just no good answer. >> now the facts. democratic front-runner tom wolf chaired the re-election campaign of the mayor of york, pennsylvania. mayor charlie robertson was charged in second degree murder in of an african-american woman in race riots 32 years earlier. he was a police officer and accused of stirring up crowds that led to the death of a 27-year-old woman. robertson was acquitted. get that fact. acquitted of the charges. in this ad deliberately ignored that fact and more importantly, the ad ties tom wolf to the previous racist attitudes of another person. i'm calling foul. i'm not the only one. former governor of pennsylvania ed rendell said it was the worst ad i've seen seen. it makes me a shamed to be a part of this business for most of my adult life. bob casey called the ad offensive and says it slanders
11:37 pm
wolf's character by implying he is insensitive to racism. we're going to invite rob mccourt to come on but he declined. former governor of pennsylvania ed rendell is a political analyst. he sits with me now. the former chair of the republican national commit teen an msnbc political able list. what good is this kind of an ad? >> i lost two races before i started to win, act actually. they were high profile races. you believe in yourself and you believe you can do gootd. you become almost obsessed with winning. what's wrong with this ad, ris chris, in addition to his tone is rob mccourt knows it's fall. he's endorsed by the african-american mayor of york. the state general democrat said that what wolf did by not disavowing robertson immediately, wolf was given the task of talking robertson into
11:38 pm
withdrawing his candidacy for the general election, which he did two days after the arrest. mccourt knows it's not true. never put something on, you know it's not true. it's wrong, it stirs up racial tension, and the only one that benefited was tom corbitt. >> to me this is terrible politics at its worse. it seems to me this is coming off the situation out there in the l.a. clippers. this isn't something who said hey, we can exploit this thing, it's in the atmosphere. pointing the fingers, appropriately or not, will work. also, i don't understand why you foul this late in a game. you're 24 points down, you're not going to win. all you're going to do is put fi the air and probably hurt the party's chance of winning the general. your thoughts? >> well, i think that last
11:39 pm
statement is an overstatement. i think the governor is going to prevail rather handley this fall. but set that aside, this is a form of racial inopportunism that comes off the heels of not just the l.a. clippers story, but also cliven bundy. and the general mood in the country with respect to race. the goal is twofold. one is to begin to drive the passion the of the african-american community. given the support that's already out there for, you know, the candidates in this race among african-americans, it's kind of hard to do that. they're kind of set in their ways in this regard. i think this drives the passions the wrong way. but you take the shot. i think the goal here is to take the shot.
11:40 pm
>> how do you take it back? >> you can't. you say well, i never said he was a racist. i said he had bad judgment. give me a break. by the way, they should have pointed out a fact. he was acquitted. it's not in the ad. >> and robertson did admit he said some racially insensitive things during the roy ottawa. >> he ain't running. >> tom wolf actually acted to defuse tensions by getting robertson off the ballot and mccourt knows it. he's a decent guy. i don't believe he did something like this. i sfent, as i said there, chris, i spent my adult life in this profession. i believe there's some great things about politics. but when you see ads like that, it makes you wond whaer you did. >> what do you think the limits are, you had to decide on these things. how far do you put the knife in when it's just about winning the election. you would never put the knife in except to make up 24 points in the election. you can't possibly make up 24 points in two weeks. i don't know why he would do this.
11:41 pm
>> i think part of it is, you know, this type of thing draws the bright line. i think for a lot of campaigns, i've been a few where i've been a subject and a victim of the racial polarizing, advertising and the like. in maryland. but at the end of the day, you can't pull back from it, number one. it draws a very bright line as a party official as to where you do not want the party to go and certainly don't want the candidates to go. because at the end of the day, this blows up for not just mccourt, but also for golf. when he wins the primary, this now becomes an overhaj in some
11:42 pm
respects that could get played by supporters. so you want to draw a very bright line. i think governor rendell is appropriately done so as a former party official and governor of the state. and hopefully people will listen to that. >> the good news is it's not working. i did phone calls today. it's not working. we'll see. thank you. great governor. my favorite mayor of philadelphia. i think you're my favorite republican national chairman, michael steele. it's not even close. it's up like 24 points. islamists have captured, kidnapped 280-something schoolgirl, hauled them off into the jungle and are selling them into slavery, making them marry people. this is the worst case we've seen since maybe 9/11. 
11:43 pm
woman: what do you mean, homeowners insurance doesn't cover floods? [ heart rate increases ] man: a few inches of water caused all this? [ heart rate increases ] woman #2: but i don't even live near the water. what you don't know about flood insurance may shock you -- including the fact that a preferred risk policy starts as low as $129 a year. for an agent, call the number that appears on your screen.
11:44 pm
i want to remind you about our partnership with the group born free work on the ambitious goal of completely eliminating, believe it or not, the trangs mission of hiv, the virus that causes aids from mother to child by the end of next year. no children born with hiv, believe it or not. scientists say it can be done. you can find more information on our website, hardball.msnbc.com. we'll be right back after this.
11:45 pm
11:46 pm
11:47 pm
an absolutely horrific crime in nigeria sparking outrage. just over three weeks ago, nearly 300 teenage girls were abducted in the middle of the night at their school in nigeria. their only crime, wanting an education. the group responsible, an islamic insurgency group opposes the west's influence in nigeria. this weekend the head of the group released a taunting video. here it is, i abducted the girls at a western education school, it says. i said western education should end. i abducted your girls. i will sell them in the market. eight more girls were reportedly abducted in northeastern nigeria by the same group. international condemnation has ratcheted up. the united states senate today voted to condemn the abduction. hillary clinton spoke about the incident on twitter. access to edge ka igs is a basic right and an unconscionable reason to target innocent girls.
11:48 pm
we must stand up to terrorism. bring back our girls. she's not alone, of course, expressing her outrage. >> let me be clear. the kidnapping of hundreds of children is an unconscionable crime and we will do everything possible to support the nigerian government. >> our vocabularies don't fit into how offensive, a proper way to describe how offensive this is. i think we should get surveillance equipment down there. this is not acceptable in any century, much less the 21st. >> let's call this what it is. one of the most brazen and shocking single incidents of human trafficking we've seen in recent memory. >> there's news today the united states offered to send a team of military and law enforcement experts to support the nigerian government's experts.
11:49 pm
the team will share their experience and intelligence, investigations in hostage negotiations. michelle bernard is the president of the bernard center for women politics and public policy. lla is a british-born nigerian writer and commentator. thank you for joining us. in an interview with al roker, president obama also responded to the kidnappings in nigeria. here's our president. >> this is a terrible situation. this terrorist organization operating in nigeria has been killing people and innocent civilians for a very long time. we have identified them as one of the worst worst local or regional terrorist organizations out there. but i can only imagine what the parents are going through. we have offered and it's been accepted, help from our military and law enforcement oh fishes. we're going to do everything we can to provide assist to they
11:50 pm
will. in the short term we want to help the international community and the nigerian government as a team to do everything we can to recover these young ladies. >> what's the best reporting eight now about with the girls sb taken? >> there isn't much. to be honest with you there really isn't. no one really knows. what people think is they may have been taken to the sambisa forest which is a former game reserve. a vast space where the boka haram spent most of their time and are based. to be honest, nobody really knows. >> that's as big as yellowstone park. it's enormous. >> yes. >> that opens the question. you know the terrain. is it feeble for a military operation from washington if we get troops over there does that make a plausible campaign for them to go into the jungle
11:51 pm
testify never been into and the world of languages they do not know seeking out a group of people they don't know what they look like. i wonder if it''s feasible. >> they have to do it from above. an aerial way in, of looking at things. that particular region borders other countries as well. we are not just talking about forests. they could have escaped into countries. it's a difficult mission. they are dealing with terrorists. they won't walk in and the guys will say, here you go. it is a ricky situation. >> your views on the this. tell me how you go into this thing. >> you go into it, number one, and say this is another story in a long line of history around the world of how we see people, particularly islamist groups view and treat women and girls. we see women regular areally kidnapped, abducted and raped as a tool of war.
11:52 pm
this is a horrific example of what happened. you have to ask what took the world three weeks to talk about the fact that this this is a terrorist organization run by people with very proud ties to al qaeda and we have absolutely got to do something about it. for the people who don't necessarily care about women's human rights as they should, we also need to look at the fact that women's human rights are a part p of the united states international security interests. we have a duty and a moral obligation to send in troops and do what we can to get the girls out and stabilize a thu and fragile democracy in nigeria. >> tell us about the group. boka haram. >> they started in 2002. they have done a lot of damage in that time. they claim they want sharia law, that they are against the westernization of nigeria. there are 12 states already
11:53 pm
there with sharia law which emboldened them. i believe they are disaffected, living in an area that's rural. although they are islamist they have been killing muslims, too. they attack christians, muslims, increasingly women and children as we see with this. they are a shadowy group. we don't know how many there are. maybe in the hundreds. we don't know how much money they have. so that's the scary part. they have caused a lot of oh havoc. we don't necessarily understand who they are. >> the scar ier part to me is this is the world we live in now. the this is a world with people have different ideas than we
11:54 pm
have, who feel they have a moral right from god to go in and do this stuff. boka haram's leader said, i enjoy killing anyone that god commands me to kill, the way i enjoy killing chickenens or rams. no moral pobs with taking girls, making them marry guys and ruin them in their own community ifs they get out. >> by threatening to sell them for $12 a child. they have no sense of humanity. this is a major terrorist group. >> this reminds me of when we first saw taliban way before we got involved this in afghanistan. when they blew up the buddhist statue. the sense of nothing stand miss the way of the religious zealotry. >> they were called the al qaeda there. >> in the south particularly christians and muslims live eeply together. they are using rereligion to
11:55 pm
justify their insanity. that's really the issue. you know, these are crazy people. it's not just to do with their religion. they are disaffecteded. they don't have much else going on. this is their way act on crazy ideas the they have tied to god because it gives them a power they wouldn't is have otherwise. >> i'm hopeful the organization african unity can do something here. we can help as best we can. africa has to move on this lt thank you, michelle, bernard and lola. we'll be right back after the this.
11:56 pm
11:57 pm
11:58 pm
the performance review. that corporate trial by fire when every slacker gets his due. and yet, there's someone around the office who hasn't had a performance review in a while. someone whose poor performance is slowing down the entire organization.
11:59 pm
i'm looking at you phone company dsl. check your speed. see how fast your internet can be. switch now and add voice and tv for $34.90. comcast business built for business. let me finish tonight with this horror in africa. over 200 schoolgirls aged 15 to 18 hauled away in trucks by a group out to destroy modern education. some have been forced to marry. others have died already. the question is what can we do? what can our country do to rescue them from what could end up being a life in captivity of degradation, fear and possibly death at the hands of men who think women should be subjected to the worse to make them, in their twisted kwies, pure. i hope we can help and i hope the afr can association of unity gets together. i hope the world can pressure, inspire the government of nigeria to protect its own people. imagine the horror those young
12:00 am
girls are facing. that's "hardball." "all in with chris hayes" starts now. good evening from new york tonight as the battle over safer, smarter guns rages there is no relief from tragic headlines of accidental gun violence. this georgia, news a 6-year-old shot and killed a 75-year-old relative. one of four accidental shootings that have taken place since saturday alone. last night we brought you our investigative or the are about a new digital smart gun that can only be fired by an authorized kwuser. it's faced fierce opposition from the gun rights establishment.