Skip to main content

tv   Politics Nation  MSNBC  December 11, 2014 3:00pm-4:01pm PST

3:00 pm
rehearsal dinner and we have got the rehearsal. we can't forget that. we got to get that right, rev. go got to have the rehearsal, then the wedding and it's going to be a great weekend. that's the ed show. "politicsnation" with reverend al sharpton starts right now. good evening, rev. >> have a great weekend, i will tell the marchers you couldn't be there because of family business. >> true family business, brother, thank you. >> thank you, ed, and thanks to you for tuning in, where we start tonight with breaking news in washington. senator elizabeth warren and house democrats leading a dramatic fight to stop a give-away to the big banks. tonight, just six hours before potential government shutdown, a gop attempt to ram through a spending bill that guts the dodd-frank financial reform, has stalled. right now, house democrats are
3:01 pm
meeting behind closed doors to discuss the bill. it's been a wild day. this morning, speaker boehner said he was confident he had the votes, and he dismissed concerns about wall street give-aways. >> why should big banks be able to trade derivatives and have their risks covered by us, the taxpayers? >> i don't believe that to be the case. [ inaudible ] >> i don't believe that your description of this is the case. >> but then, house democrats united to nearly derail the bill from even getting to the floor. >> blow a major hole in the dodd-frank bill, putting taxpayers on the hook for some of the riskiest behavior of wall street institutions. >> haven't those mega banks hurt america enough? and what is this doing in this bill? >> what is it doing on an appropriations bill, except to
3:02 pm
be -- have this bill be taken hostage. this is a ransom. this is blackmail. you don't get a bill unless wall street gets its taxpayer coverage. >> because of that opposition, speaker boehner has delayed a vote, while he tries to scrounge around for some votes. at the center of this fight, a deregulation measure that would let big banks place risky bets and put taxpayers on the hook for another bail-out if those bets went wrong. today senator warren, who first issued a call to arms, was back at it again. >> this fight isn't about conservatives or liberals. it's not about democrats or republicans. it's about money. if big companies can deploy their armies of lobbyists and lawyers to get congress to vote for special deals that benefit themselves, then we will simply
3:03 pm
confirm the view of the american people, that the system is rigged. nobody sent us here to stand up here for citigroup. i urge my republican colleagues in the house to withhold their support from this package until this risky give-away is removed from the legislation. it is time for all of us to stand up and fight. >> tonight the white house says it would support the bill out of concern that republicans will pass an even worse package if it fails. either way, the government needs funding in the next six hours, or it will shut down. nbc's luke russert has been covering this story all day on capitol hill. luke, what's happening right now? >> right now the house democratic caucus is meeting to figure out what is going to be their next steps exactly. that meeting was called by maxine waters, the ranking member on the house financial
3:04 pm
services committee. she's been an outspoken critic of this bill. she said that he will oppose anybody lobbying for this bill. you know who is one person lobbying for it? president obama. as well as harry reid. we have a very interesting dynamic on capitol hill. nancy pelosi and elizabeth warren holding the line against gop leadership, but president obama and harry reid who like this bill because they believe it's the best thing they can have before the gop has more of a large majority coming in the next year. we've never seen this type of democratic fighting before on a spending bill this late in the process, especially when you only have six hours until the government runs out of money. make no mistake about it, though, i want to talk about elizabeth warren, who you brought up there. we often talk about the power that ted cruz has in the house republican conference. elizabeth warren, showing that if she joins nancy pelosi, not only does she have a lot of
3:05 pm
power, but her message is also resonating deeply. i spoke to a lot of house democrats today, reverend, who used terms about wall street i've not heard them use. that wall street were villains, that wall street had stolen from the people, that wall street had gotten fat while everybody had gotten poor. wondering where this was ahead of the mid terms. the liberals who made it through the mid terms, they want to fight on this ground of economic inequality and it's something they'll go to the 11th hour ahead of a shutdown. >> the politics can be interesting. how many votes does the speaker need to pass this? >> i just spoke to a gop aide, and they said, at a minimum, they need about 50 democratic votes. be more secure with 60 or 70. if nancy pelosi thought this bill was beiokay, they could ha it in a second.
3:06 pm
unfortunately for republicans, they don't have that right now. they're struggling in a holding pattern, waiting to see what will happen out of this meeting. if you think about the 200 democrats that they have in the caucus, the fact they can't get to 40 or 50, really shows the power of pelosi and warren. whether there's an all-out lobbying effort right now. i talked to members who are getting calls, telling them to go forward on this. the obamacare gives them money to go after isis, for ebola. but a lot of priorities that are protected for the next fiscal year. the house democrats don't care, they want to fight about dodd-frank, and they want to fight now. >> you're saying the white house is saying they would get a worse bill when the republicans take over in january. but the fact is that the government would not shut down. they do have a plan b in case they don't get the votes, isn't that right? >> sure. the backup plan was they would have something that lasts maybe a week, maybe it's a few days, and then next week, they would
3:07 pm
come back and do a plan that lasts three months. some democrats say that's fine because we can fight on turf that's favorable to us. we might not get the things that we want, but republicans have had an awful hard time getting to 218 on a bill that fund the government. the white house doesn't want to take that risk because they feel they have so much in the spending bill that goes through september, reverend. >> nbc's luke russert, thank you for your reporting tonight. >> take care. >> joining me now, angela rye and jimmy williams. angela, you worked on capitol hill for a long time, this is extraordinary. give me your view. >> it seems like deja vu, we were just in this situation last year, trying to avert a shutdown, to no avoil. a couple of weeks ago, the house speaker didn't want to be the shutdown guy. there are people in both parties that may not support this
3:08 pm
measure. on the republican side, they want to do all they can to protest president obama's executive actions for immigration. on the other side, you have folks that are saying, we grave wall street enough breaks. time-out for that. one thing i haven't heard a lot of reporting on today but it just as important, the spending, the campaign finance regulations that would change, that would ensure that big-party donors can give even more to the dnc and the rnc. that is just as troubling. that is telling the american people that you pay to play, period. and i think it's just as egregious if not more so than the dodd-frank act and what they're trying to gut. >> we've been told white house chief of staff denis mcdonough is in that meeting on capitol hill of the democratic caucus. jimmy, tell me what this means about the power of the progressive caucus in the house and the senate and elizabeth warren. >> it means they're emboldened. i think it's wonderful. look, i worked in the senate for
3:09 pm
almost seven years. if dennisis mcdonough is having bow down to get them to vote for a bill, which is john boehner's bill -- where are his people! this is a republican-led house. why can't they get their own people to vote? i'll tell you why. they think the bill stinks too. so you have a circling in the back. progressives and tea partiers who are agreeing on something. when did you think that was going to happen in our lifetime? but here we are, two weeks before christmas. there's something big going on here. elizabeth warren is flexing her muscle. and no this does not mean she's running for president, but what it does mean, this is a shot across the bow, not of moderates, by the way, but of saying to the white house, you cannot, under any circumstances allow for these kinds of special provisions. angela talked about the campaign finance thing. there's a provision in this bill that allows long haul truckers
3:10 pm
to sleep less and drive longer? does anyone actually think that is good for america's people that are driving on the roads during the holidays? there's a massive give-away to the mining industry. none of the provisions have been debated. why can't they pass them under regular order? that's why warren and company are so ticked off. and they have a right to be. this bill stinks. >> angela, the argument on the other side, luke russert is telling us, is that there are things like obamacare monemoney money for ebola, money to fight against isis. those are some of the things in the bill. are those the things the moderates are trying to say on both sides, or at least on the democratic side, that they're worth trying to save? >> i think that you don't just even have moderates saying that. i think that you have more progressive leaning folks, the liberals and the democratic party also supporting those things. but rev, here's the problem.
3:11 pm
this is a procedural issue. we've talked about this ad nauseum, because this is the main way in which republicans have tried to legislate under president obama. that is to say, we're not going to go to committee and have a mark-up on legislation. we're going to sneak provisions in a bill that has not had the opportunity to be heard by committee, the folks who are, you know, the policy experts on this issue. we're going to just slide them in there. these are spending measures. it's a continuing resolution, matched with an omnibus. the continuing resolution is punishment for the president pushing the executive action on immigration forward and it's a short-term funding measure for dhs. so when they get to february and march, they can try to defund dhs and punish them for allowing people who are living in the shadows to come out of the shadows. i think we have to talk about these things fairly. because if we continue to provide an open door for republicans to legislate in this way. this isn't what the president
3:12 pm
meant when he told them to pass a bill. they need to fairly consider and debate a bill and not end the spending measures. >> that's a major point, jimmy, that this is a spending measure. it's not a bill that has been debated. they snuck this thing in which adds salt in the wound. but at the end of the day, and i know we all love the fireworks and want to stand up. is there any merit to having the fear that when the republicans gain more strength in january, jimmy, we could end up with worse? is there any merit to that? >> bet on it, buddy. do you actually think that this republican congress and the republican -- what is the first vote that mitch mcconnell has announced that he's going to hand down when the republicans take the senate in january? a vote to repeal obamacare. how many times did they do it in the last congress and the house? 50 times. do you think they're going to do it in the house again? bet on it. if this white house, which i
3:13 pm
love, if they think for one second that the republicans are going to give the president anything at all, other than not funding obamacare, through 2016, then that is just a fool's paradise. >> that's why they're saying they want to see this bill. is that not the logic they're using? >> this bill was going to have to pass anyway. isis funding was going to have to pass anyway. ebola funding was going to have to pass anyway. why? because you have to pass these bills. i don't have a problem putting special interest provisions into the bill and having those debated. i have a problem passing a cr and an omnibus and bribing members to vote for this thing. this is why america thinks washington stinks. because when you do this kind of thing, it's just malfunction in the government. >> absolutely. >> it's bad. >> angela, you were trying to get in. >> yeah, i just think that the point that jimmy raised is exactly why the president and the white house is saying that we do need to go ahead and take
3:14 pm
this measure. the problem is, we've seen this play over and over again. they were mad earlier because the president exercised too much authority. they said there were too many executive actions. he has signed the least number of executive orders in history as a president. so there's no win here. i just want them to say, we want to work with you, there are some great things in this measure, but the policy writers, shame on me for being that way in d.c., but i would love to see that happen out of this congress so they don't take that very bad habit into next congress. >> democrats should not bail. >> i've got to go. i feel there's going to be a long night and certainly it's not going to be a boring night. boehner cannot deliver his caucus and he needs the president to try to help him talk to democrats. >> and why are we bailing them out? that's the question. >> angela and jimmy, thank you for your time tonight. straight ahead, the story
3:15 pm
rocking hollywood. leaked e-mails reveal offensive jokes about president obama. plus darrell issa has been chasing phony scandals for years. but wait until you see how much it cost. and it's the age-old question. what exactly is in a chicken mcnugget? tonight the wait is over. we know the answer. "conversation nation" is ahead. here's a question for you: when electricity is generated with natural gas instead of today's most used source, how much are co2 emissions reduced? up to 30%? 45%? 60%? the answer is... up to 60% less. and that's a big reason why the u.s. is a world leader in reducing co2 emissions.
3:16 pm
take the energy quiz -- round 2. energy lives here.
3:17 pm
he said president obama is the most corrupt president in history. then he tried to walk that back. darrell issa stepping down as the head of the investigative committee. our farewell, next. we give yoe each month for free!
3:18 pm
awesomesauce! wow! the only person i know that says that is...lisa? julie?! at discover, we treat you like you'd treat you. get the it card and see your fico® credit score. you know i tried one of those bargain paper towels but i had to use so many sheets per spill the roll just disappeared. i knew i should've bought bounty bounty is 2x more absorbent and strong when wet. just look how much longer bounty lasts versus one of those bargain brand towels. and that's a good deal. bounty. the long lasting picker upper and now try new bounty nfl prints. available at walmart. because i make the best chicken noodle soup. because i make the best chicken noodle soup. because i make the best chicken noodle soup. for every way you make chicken noodle soup, make it delicious with swanson®.
3:19 pm
>> it's the darrell issa farewell tour. the house oversight chairman, who promised to hold hundreds of hearings into the obama administration, is at the end of his tenure. he chased phony scandal after phony scandal. and today we found out just how much it cost. $25 million. yes, the so-called party of fiscal responsibility blew $25 million on wild-goose chases. what did he get in return for his investment? nothing. zero. no white house scandals.
3:20 pm
no conspiracies. nothing. but he liked the spotlight. even before he had the gavel. >> he has been one of the most corrupt presidents in modern times. >> perjury is a criminal charge that has to be proven. but certainly it's hard to have confidence in what this attorney general says or his people say, when so often it turns out not to be true. >> you cannot believe what the white house says, what the spokespeople say, and you cannot believe what the president says. we have a problem with you and you have a problem maintaining your credibility. >> interesting. four years and $25 million, and he's asking that question. joining me now is joe madison. thank you for being here, joe. >> thank you, reverend. >> $25 million investment. worth it, joe? >> where's the tea party now? and understand what -- he's been
3:21 pm
rewarded with what? he's now chairman of a judiciary sub committee. so he's out there in siberia. in other words, boehner has absolutely no trust in this individual. and that's the bottom line. and he ruled primarily, and if you talk with the ranking member, elijah cummings, often times, they never shared information, witnesses that were not allowed, that the ranking member and democrats wanted to have come forth. he ran this thing with an iron hand -- >> and was very disrespectful. >> oh, yes. >> before going after the obama administration, congressman issa also attacked democrats serving on his committee. we all remember this. look at this. >> mr. chairman, i have a procedural question. mr. chairman, you cannot run a
3:22 pm
committee like this. you just cannot do this. this is -- we are better than that as a country. we're better than that as a committee. i have asked for a few minutes to -- now you're turning me off. the fact is that i am asking a question, i am a ranking member of this committee, and i want to ask a question. what are we hiding? what's the big deal? may i ask my question? may i make my statement? >> you're all free to leave, we've adjourned, but the gentleman may ask his question. >> he cut the mike on congressman elijah cummings. that's why i said he was also disrespectful. have you ever seen anything like this? >> no. not since maybe the days of mccarthy. and i wasn't old enough to be around then. but the news reels certainly show almost similar activity. and that's why he was a pain to
3:23 pm
boehner. look, common sense tells you, if he was effective in any way, he would be given a plum assignment. he's been assigned to siberia. let's be honest about this, his replacement is no better. >> i want to show you what we could have spent 25 million bucks on. head start for over 3,000 children a year. school lunches for nearly 67,000 children a year. pell grants for 4,428 students to be exact. i mean, what does this say about our priorities? 25 million on nothing, on just witch-hunts that went nowhere. >> can i change only one word? and that is, o-u-ro-u-r. it's not our priorities, it's
3:24 pm
the republican party's priorities. they knew he was spending this money. look, it doesn't take four years to figure out you don't have anything. it's their priorities. that's what they do. and that's how they're going to govern. and that's why that midterm election was so important, and now you can put dollars and cents with votes and see what's happened. what i'm afraid of, we're going to get the same thing. all we're doing is playing musical chairs. weers just changing the seat. that's all. >> very poor record and we won't be sorry to see him leave that investigative chair. we invited him on this show many times. he never accepted. joe madison, thank you for your time tonight. >> thank you, reverend. still ahead, hacked e-mails reveal hollywood power players joking about president obama. also, mcdonald's attempt to make mcnuggets more appealing. will which video change public
3:25 pm
opinion? but first, senator vitter makes a triumphant return to "politicsnation" i gotcha. so we quit selling cigarettes in our cvs pharmacies. expanded minuteclinic, for walk-in medical care. and created programs that encourage people to take their medications regularly. introducing cvs health. a new purpose. a new promise... to help all those wishes come true. cvs health. because health is everything. cvs health. i make a lot of purchases foand i get ass. lot in return with ink plus from chase. like 50,000 bonus points when i spent $5,000 in the first 3 months after i opened my account. and i earn 5 times the rewards on internet, phone services and at office supply stores. with ink plus i can choose how to redeem my points. travel, gift cards, even cash back. and my rewards points won't expire.
3:26 pm
so you can make owning a business even more rewarding. ink from chase. so you can. here we go, here we go, here we go. ♪ fifty omaha set hut ♪ losing feeling in my toes ♪ ♪ nothing beats that new car smell ♪ ♪ chicken parm you taste so good ♪ ♪ nationwide is on your side ♪ mmm mmm mmm mm mmm mm mmmmmm
3:27 pm
3:28 pm
3:29 pm
3:30 pm
it's more than the car.er. for lotus f1 team, the competitive edge is the cloud. powered by microsoft dynamics, azure, and office 365, the team can gain real time insights and instantly share information around the globe. when every millisecond counts, staying competitive begins with the cloud. this is the microsoft cloud. i have the worst cold with this runni better take something. dayquill cold and flu doesn't treat your runny nose. seriously? alka-seltzer plus cold and cough fights your worst cold symptoms plus your runny nose. oh, what a relief it is. try new always discreet, a revolution in bladder leak protection from always, the experts in feminine protection. new always discreet, for sensitive bladders. up to 40% thinner, for superior comfort. absorbs 2x more than you may need,
3:31 pm
for dance-all-you want protection. no wonder more women already prefer new always discreet pads over poise. new always discreet. now bladder leaks can feel like no big deal. because, hey, pee happens. ♪ come in and use your starbucks gift card any day through january 5th for a chance to win starbucks for life. no question about that. but your erectile dysfunction - that could be a question of blood flow. cialis tadalafil for daily use helps you be ready anytime the moment's right. you can be more confident in your ability to be ready. and the same cialis is the only daily ed tablet approved to treat ed and symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently or urgently. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medicines, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain,
3:32 pm
as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long term injury, get medical help right away for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or any allergic reactions like rash, hives, swelling of the lips, tongue or throat, or difficulty breathing or swallowing, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis for daily use and a free 30-tablet trial.
3:33 pm
3:34 pm
3:35 pm
3:36 pm
3:37 pm
3:38 pm
3:39 pm
3:40 pm
>> thank you for your time tonight. >> thank you. >> coming up, more leaked e-mails from sony executives. an exec called angelina jolie a, quote, minimally talented spoiled brat. plus, the new york performer who got prince william's number. he's here and his story is inspirational. and let this be your warning. mcdonald's serves up the secrets. a new video reveals how mcnuggets are made. are you lovin' it? "conversation nation" is next. wouldn't it be great if hiring plumbers, carpenters shopping online is as easy as it gets. and even piano tuners were just as simple? thanks to angie's list, now it is. we've made hiring anyone from a handyman to a dog walker as simple as a few clicks. buy their services directly at angieslist.com
3:41 pm
no more calling around. no more hassles. start shopping from a list of top-rated providers today. angie's list is revolutionizing local service again. visit angieslist.com today.
3:42 pm
(vo)rescued.ed. protected. given new hope. during the subaru "share the love" event, subaru owners feel it, too. because when you take home a new subaru, we donate 250 dollars to helping those in need. we'll have given 50 million dollars over seven years. love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru. [ male announcer ] you wouldn't ignore signs of damage in your home. are you sure you're not ignoring them in your body? even if you're treating your crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, an occasional flare may be a sign of damaging inflammation. and if you ignore the signs, the more debilitating your symptoms could become. learn more about the role damaging inflammation may be playing in your symptoms with the expert advice tool at crohnsandcolitis.com. and then speak with your gastroenterologist.
3:43 pm
with the expert advice tool at crohnsandcolitis.com. if every driver in the u.s. kept here's a qtheir car's you: tires properly inflated, how many gallons of fuel could america save each year? up to 2 billion gallons? 4 billion? 6 billion? the answer is... up to 4 billion gallons. by keeping your tires properly inflated, you can increase your car's fuel economy and reduce its co2 emissions. take the energy quiz -- round 2. energy lives here. [ woman ] i will embrace change... everything life throws my way. except for frown lines. those i'm throwing back. [ female announcer ] olay total effects. nourishing vitamins, and seven beautiful benefits in one. for younger-looking skin.
3:44 pm
so while your life may be ever-changing... ♪ ...your beautiful skin will stay beautiful. total effects from olay. your best beautiful. it's time now for "conversation nation." joining me tonight, trial attorney seema iyer. huffpost live host zosh zepps and tara dowdell. thank you all for being here. >> thanks, rev. we start with more hacked eemp mails rocking hollywood. this one from scott rudin, an independent producer, not a sony executive. in an e-mail to the top sony executive, rudin says jolie is,
3:45 pm
quote, a minimally talented spoiled brat. today he said in a statement that he apologized for any injury me might have caused. i'm guessing mr. rudin has a lot of explaining to do. >> you think, rev? i have not seen an angelina jolie movie since she broke up brad and jen. i've still not gotten over there. >> still bearing grudges? >> i am. i have never gotten over it. i will not comment on her talent. however, despite how cray-cray the woman is, she's a legitimate humanitarian. and she has like 14 kids, they're like the rainbow coalition. so what else can we say bad about her, rev? >> well, i think scott found some things to say. >> i think we all know that the people who run these big hollywood industries are kind of douche bags, but i just didn't think they woulda
3:46 pm
misogynistic douche bag,4> that's the thing,
3:47 pm
unfortunately it seems like black people have become this major punching bag recently. we've always been, but it's much more out in the open now, than it's been in the past, recent past, i should say. but you don't want to take on other wealthy people that can take you on a lot harder. >> i think the worst stuff is the racial stuff. where he's talking about obama and they're going back and forth. where they're saying what is hi1 favorite film, like 12 years a slave or "django unchained." >> we're going to be on that, because that is offensive. >> it's not only racially offensive, it just offends me as a creative artist. if you're going to diss on obama, then say, he probably likes interstellar because he wants to fly himself a million miles away from washington. >> i get curry jokes and bolywood jokes all day long, but to my face, and then you can laugh.
3:48 pm
>> but society shapes it. we can't let this moment ago and see if they're prepared to deal with it. >> there have been repercussions. reverend, i would say, this is reflected in the type of movies that are made about black culture. we see so many movies that paint us from a stereo typical perspective. when these movies come out, they reinforce those stereotypes. when people see us portrayed as gangsters, as thugs, that impacts society. that's why this is so dangerous. >> but also can't get roles, can't get jobs, there are no big executives there. and i think this is the kind of thing. but if you could see the callous way that someone with his kind of influence -- talking about rudin -- what he thinks of jolie, imagine someone aspiring to be that big, what they --
3:49 pm
>> this is a narrow, blinkered community. they have blinders on. blinkered, we say in australia. they are white, privileged, come from a certainly socio-economic and racial class and that's all they care about, that's all they know. >> but don't bite the hand that feeds you. >> we've got to deal with the fact that sometimes people that are very closed in, need some others that will help open it up. >> yes. >> ever wonder what's in a chicken mcnugget? >> oh, god. >> the wait is over. mcdonald's is serving up the secrets in a video it released, showing exactly what goes into making mcnuggets, from mixing to molding on boxing them. the video is showed it's made from real meat. i don't eat them. i don't eat meat. but after seeing this, would you? >> this is a horrible ploy where
3:50 pm
mcdonald's takes the most extreme untrue caricatures of how it produces its meat, and disspelling those, thinks it's without blame. the reality is the way that we raise farmed animals, the concentrated animal feeding operations where chickens have their beaks pulled off, there's no anthetic, they're pumped with hormones, that their legs break and they flutter around in their own feces. it's a monstrous industry. >> but they're putting it out to show it's not as bad as some people say. >> well, it's meat. it's a pretty low bar. >> rev, i almost hurled on the way over here in the car, prepping for this segment. i can't even look at this and i'm a vegetarian too. so it's so offensive to me. but it really should be a promo for animal rights activism or veganism, because it will change you if you look at that video. >> do you eat meat?
3:51 pm
>> i do eat meat. i'm clearly the only meat-eater here. >> i do, i do. but i will always take extra pains to make sure it's organically raised. >> whoever is doing their marketing should be fired. because this is not helping them. this does not look good. this looks terrible. and so i think that mcdonald's, if they really want to come along and -- because what this is about, they're losing money. that's what this is about. if they really want to step up their game, they need to do something more ethical. be more meaningful as a brand. do something to help people make their products more ethical. and healthy. >> the other option is, just don't address this at all and just acknowledge that you are an unethical company that produces crap and be the big mccrap company. that's fine as well. but don't get into the details of how you do anything. >> seethank you all for you tim.
3:52 pm
and catch seema tackling legal questions every day on msnbc.com. coming up, the new york city street performer who got prince william's number. he's here on "politicsnation," next. the conference call.
3:53 pm
the ultimate arena for business. hour after hour of diving deep, touching base, and putting ducks in rows. the only problem with conference calls: eventually they have to end. unless you have the comcast business voiceedge mobile app. it lets you switch seamlessly from your desk phone to your mobile with no interruptions. i've never felt so alive. get the future of phone and the phones are free. comcast business. built for business.
3:54 pm
>> this week, a young man who turned his life around, got a chance to meet a prince, and the prince was the one who came away impressed. the prince and the performer, i'll talk to that young man next. introducing... a pm pain reliever that dares to work all the way until... the am. new aleve pm the only one to combine a safe sleep aid plus the 12 hour strength of aleve. [ inhales deeply ] [ sighs ] [ inhales ] [ male announcer ] at cvs health, we took a deep breath... [ inhales, exhales ] [ male announcer ] and made the decision to quit selling cigarettes in our cvs pharmacies. now we invite smokers to quit, too, with our comprehensive program. we just want to help everyone, everywhere, breathe a little easier.
3:55 pm
introducing cvs health. because health is everything. introducing cvs health. dave, i'm sorry to interrupt... i gotta take a sick day tomorrow. dads don't take sick days, dads take nyquil. the nighttime, sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, fever, best sleep with a cold, medicine.
3:56 pm
>> the royal couple had a whirlwind trip to the big apple. they met jay-z and beyonce courtside at a nets game in brooklyn. and hung out with lebron james after the game. and glammed it up at a g star-studded gala. but they sayzk÷ the best moment they experienced here was watching this 22-year-old. he's steven prescott, a new york city street performer, who tells his life story of struggles, of growing up without a dad, and going to prison at the age of 16 for robbery. theater turned his life around. prince william was so moved he gave steven his number, telling
3:57 pm
him, he was inspirational, and wanted to help him out. what an incredible story to tell. joining me now to tell that story is steven prescott. thank you so much for being here. >> thank you for having me, al. >> how many times have you pinched yourself in the last few days after this happened? >> well, i pinched myself so many times, i think i'm getting black and blue all over my arms. >> what was it like performing for them? were you nervous? >> i was extremely nervous. the first time that i met them was when i went out to perform and they were just right there in front of me. >> what did they say to you? >> after the performance? >> yeah. >> i didn't get a chance to speak to kate, but me and my pal, prince william, me and him exchanged a few words. >> you're pals now? >> oh, yes. very good friends. >> what did you say to him? >> well, i was happy that he loved the piece. he said it was a really good piece. i said, thank you. and he just kept telling me how it moved him and he said he
3:58 pm
really loved it and he would love to help me. >> and he gave you his number? >> well, you would have to give me your number and i'll let you know what happened with that. >> oh, so you not going to tell me whether you called him or text him. i get it. >> if you give me your number, i'll let you know. >> why do you want to tell your life story? why is that important to you? >> because it's very important. because it's not only my life story. it's every man of color life story. i feel like i need to get it out to the world and allow the public to hear our voice, see where we come from, see why we are the way we are. i was a troubled kid. i want people to see the reasons why i was a troubled kid. not having my father there. my mother being a single parent raising me. i just wanted people to seem9ó and see what we can get out of this in order to change things. you know, it's different reasons. >> i understand that a theater program turned your whole life around. >> yes. >> tell me about it. >> well the city kids, it's a
3:59 pm
not-for-profit organization and city kids was a great help. growing up, i always looked for acting classes and they were just too expensive. but city kids was free. i remember when i went there, through a program for youthful offenders. and to clear their records. and they gave me that, i saw kids there performing and using their performing arts to inspire young people and through that, that's when i started pursuing acting and i met my mentor and he and i through our conversations, he heard my stories and said, we should write a piece about this. >> since you guys are buddi ied now, tell him to come do politics nation. >> i'll give him a call when i get home. >> i'm happy to meet you and i
4:00 pm
find your story inspiring too. steven presk yod. what a good story, and thank you for being here, and invite me 7. for more on steven and the program, go to city kids.com. thanks for watching. i'm al sharpton. "hardball" starts right now. ♪ senator warren takes on president obama. let's play "hardball." ♪ ♪ good evening, i'm chris matthews in washington. tonight the democratic army of the future is on the march, led by senator elizabeth warren. members are attacking that trilliontv dollar spending bil agreed to by president obama himself. the issue, a provision in the bill that would pull back the reforms created after the 2008 financial crisis. perhaps allo

56 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on