Skip to main content

tv   Politics Nation  MSNBC  January 23, 2015 3:00pm-4:01pm PST

3:00 pm
super bowl. he should not be there next week when i get there to arizona, i shouldn't be seeing bill belichick. >> terence moore, thank you for your time. big weekend for "the ed show." i'll be in nebraska tomorrow. the story continues about the pipeline. the senate doing all kinds of votes this week but it's up to those hundred landowners who filed lawsuit on eminent do main. "politics nation" is coming from overseas tonight. there's two absolutes. there's big ben, then there's reverend al. reverend al in london. good evening rev! >> good evening, ed and thanks to you for tuning in. i'm live tonight from the great city of london endemand. i'm here as part of a trip highlighting the global challenges we face on civil rights policing inequality and economic opportunity. earlier today i spoke with members of parliament in the house of commons and other leaders, and i had the honor of
3:01 pm
addressing the historic oxford union at the heart of the oldest university in the english-speaking world. we'll have much more on all that later in the show. but we start with tonight's lead. king for a day. just days after president obama laid out a progressive agenda in his state of the union, republicans are heading backwards. treating this guy like a party leader. is iowa congressman steve king. and tomorrow a who's who of gop presidential hopefuls are trekking out to iowa for an event he's hosting. ted cruz will be there, so will supposed moderate chris christie. everyone from sara palin to madonna kicking off campaign season by paying tribute to the man who just this week called an
3:02 pm
undocumented woman a, quote, deportable. not that it was any surprise considering what he said about dreamer students in the past. >> for every one who is a valedictorian there's another hundred out there that they weigh 130 pounds and they've got cavs the size of cantaloupes because they're hauling pounds of marijuana across the desert. >> yep, to steve king dreamers are basically drug mules, and he isn't just extreme on immigration. take a look at some of his other greatest hits. >> i think congress has to sit down and have a serious look at the rest of this constitution and that includes that "i" word that we don't want to say. if you add watergate and iran/contra together and multiply it by tens you get in the zone of what benghazi is. >> immigration, benghazi and impeachment, oh my. if the gop were serious about reaching new voters in 2016
3:03 pm
they'd run as far as they could from steve king but the fact that they're running to him, it shows they're all too willing to cater to the most extreme elements of their right-wing base. joining me now are former pennsylvania governor and dnc chairman ed rendell, and msnbc's joy reed. thank you both for being here. >> thanks rev. >> good evening, rev. >> so governor are these presidential candidates going to kiss the ring of steve king. doesn't it perfectly capture the problems republicans have with their base? >> sure. they're going to a forum who is being conducted by a guy that's a deplorable person who is antithetical to most of the values that most americans hold and certainly is anathema to hispanic voters. you know the interesting thing about all this to me rev? not just the ones that are going
3:04 pm
to his forum, but the fact that none of them nor governor bush nor governor romney who by passed the forum, no one has condemned him for using the term "a deportable "" about an american dreamer who is in this country through no fault of her own, she was born in this country. it's disgraceful. those candidates, their silence in condemning him reminds me of the silence of all republican candidates during the debate three years ago when the soldier from afghanistan said he was gay and everyone booed him and no one, of all the candidates chastised the audience for booing an american soldier. >> that's good point. you know joy, what's your reaction to all of these candidates going on to steve king after him this week calling an american first lady out for hosting someone born here calling her a deportable?
3:05 pm
>> first of all, i'd like to say congratulations to you for speaking at the oxford union. that's really amazing and really great. but on the subject of steve king i think that he has exerted an undue influence on the iowa caucuses for a really long time. as a des moines register writer pointed out in a piece today just really excoriating him, the iowa caucuses as a result for him have become less influential. they picked the winning nominee, the person who was picked for the republican party four out of five times but since steve king engineered this hostile take overof the process there in iowa, from 2000 on they didn't picked a single winner. they pick people like rick santorum who appeal to the far right of the base but don't actually get nominated. so iowa as a result of king's influence is becoming less influential in the process overall. so that's not a good thing and not a good thing for the current crop of candidates.
3:06 pm
>> governor one of our reporters from msnbc.com interviewed steve king today. he says his staff kept a running list of some 12 to 16 prominent republicans who have leveled personal criticisms against him. going back to your point about people criticizing him. he kept a list. and king says quote, their agenda has been marginalized. mine has been strengthened. is this the steve king agenda? is it going to dictate the gop's 2016 primary race? >> well that's the big question. because if it does the republicans are destined to lose the 2016 general election. we saw what happened to governor romney tried to become more conservative to appeal to the base during the primaries and locked himself into positions that come the general election he couldn't get out of. if it happens again, if someone, one candidate doesn't stand up to the steve kings and say no
3:07 pm
we're not going to use terms like deportable to talk about someone born in the united states, we're not going to denigrate portions of our population. if they don't do that they're going to kiss off the hispanic vote, they're going to kiss off the gay and lesbian vote you're going to kiss off so many constituenties that are important in a presidential election. it's a prescription for disaster for the republicans. and someone ought to stand up to people like steve king and say what they feel. someone ought to have the courage to do it. >> joy, you know when republicans aren't paying homage to the tea party, they're appearing before billionaires because this weekend senators marco rubio, rand paul and ted cruz are all speaking at an event hosted by the koch brothers. which group is more important to the candidates the tea party or the billionaires? >> this isn't even close. it's the billionaires. the billionaires run the party.
3:08 pm
i think the tea party was an escape valve for a lot of energy on the far right. and they had a great deal of influence in congressional races and house races and in moving the party overall to the far right, but when it comes to who picks the nominee, the tea party can love a far right candidate all they want, the money people pick them. they picked mccain, romney. there's very little the tea party can do about it. that's part of the source of their frustration is ultimately they make a lot of noise, they have the sarah palins and the steve kings, they hurt the party's brand but they can't get a candidate to their liking. they probably still can't now. you'll probably see an establishment pick of jep bush or i doubt a marco rubeiorubio, because the money people always win. >> i'm glad you mentioned sarah palin because governor sarah palin actually said today that she was caught working at a soup kitchen when a reporter asked if
3:09 pm
she's interested in a presidential run. here's what she said. >> i mean of course when you have a servant's heart, when you know there's opportunity to do all you can to put yourself forward in the name of offering service, anybody would be interested. >> it raises the question even if she's not serious about running, do her views matter to those in the republican party? >> i think definitely. there's some voters in the republican party. and i would qualify what joy said a little bit. because rick santorum came awfully close to beating mitt romney had he got 40,000 more votes in the michigan primary, i think he would have been the nominee. and he was a creation of the tea party. so while the billionaires still prevailed in 2012 it wasn't by very much. and i think the tea party is getting stronger and people in the tea party listen to sarah
quote
3:10 pm
palin. but look rev, i'm hoping she does run. in fact, i'm working hard for a palin/cruz ticket for 2016. >> yeah. well that's one ticket. but joy, you know we heard and we're hearing the republicans meeting with billionaires and tea party this weekend. we heard another political agenda this week and let's not forget president obama laid out a political agenda. listen to this. >> this congress still needs to pass a law that makes sure a woman is paid the same as a man for doing the same work. congress still needs to raise the minimum wage. as americans, we don't mind paying our fair share of taxes as long as everybody else does. >> the real question joy reed is which agenda will more americans go with? >> i think it's pretty clear even the polls now show that president obama's got the more
3:11 pm
popular side of the agenda. things like raising the minimum wage are even popular in red states. and the interesting thing, rev, is that you're now going to see for the next year and half a president who no longer has to tailor his message to the blue dogs in his own party. he no longer has to tailor his message to red state democrats. he can now be an unfiltered progressive populist. it will be interesting to see if the republicans respond by doing what mitt romney did, which is try to pretend that they too, care about anti-poverty programs and, hey, they don't just care about billionaires or what if they double down on things that the loudest part of their base want to hear abortion and stopping immigration because those things will guarantee another democrat in the white house in 2016. >> ed rendell and joy reid thank you for your time tonight. both of you have a great weekend. >> you too, rev. >> and be sure to watch the reid report weekdays at 2:00 p.m. eastern right here on msnbc.
3:12 pm
coming up breaking news on the fight against terror. plans for an offensive against isis. and new worries about al qaeda. plus the nfl responds to the controversy kathscasting a shadow over the super bowl. what is the league saying about tom brady and deflate-gate? also, the debate over president obama's interview with u2 star dp youtube stars, was that beneath the dignity of the office? the highlights from my trip to london are all coming up on a special edition of "politics nation." you show up. you stay up. you listen. you laugh. you worry.
3:13 pm
you do whatever it takes to take care of your family. and when it's time to plan for your family's future we're here for you. we're legalzoom, and for over 10 years we've helped families just like yours with wills, living trusts and more. visit us today for legal help you can count on. legalzoom. legal help is here. alright, so this tylenol arthritis lasts 8 hours, but aleve can last 12 hours... and aleve is proven to work better on pain than tylenol arthritis. so why am i still thinking about this? how are you? aleve, proven better on pain. why do i cook? because i make the best chicken noodle soup. because i make the best chicken noodle soup. because i make the best chicken noodle soup. for every way you make chicken noodle soup, make it delicious with swanson®.
3:14 pm
3:15 pm
i'm across the pond here in london, but there's a lot of news at home. what is the nfl saying tonight about their investigation into the deflated football? the late night comedians are having fun with it and so is someone inside the white house. and the president's youtube interview. >> my mama said whenever you go to somebody's house, you have to give them something. don't come empty handed. so i have green lipsticks. one for your first wife -- >> my first -- >> i mean -- >> you know something i don't? >> oh. >> that got a good laugh. but some on the right don't think it's funny. it's all ahead when we come back live from london.
3:16 pm
we come by almost every day to deliver your mail so if you have any packages you want to return you should just give them to us i mean, we're going to be there anyway why don't you just leave it for us to pick up? or you could always get in your car and take it back yourself yeah, us picking it up is probably your easiest option it's kind of a no brainer ok, well, good talk
3:17 pm
breaking news tonight taking giant steps in the global war against terror. u.s. officials tell "the wall street journal" the pentagon is planning for a full assault by iraqi troops to retake the key city of mosul from isis rebels by this summer. already american troops are training iraqi military units and cutting off supplies to isis fighters controlling iraq's second largest city. this news comes as we're learning more about the american-led fight against isis. so far the u.s. has launched about 2,000 air strikes on isis targets killing over 6,000 militants so far.
3:18 pm
>> 50% of the top command has been eliminated. hundreds of vehicles and tanks, which they captured have been destroyed as well as more than a thousand fighting positions checkpoints, buildings, barracks in iraq and in syria. >> but as the u.s. goes after isis there's troubling news from yemen where the government has collapsed and been forced out by rebels. officials now fear yemen will become an even bigger breeding ground for terrorist groups like al qaeda, which already control parts of the country. joining me now is michael kay, retired senior british officer and military strategist now foreign affairs correspondent. thank you for being here michael. good to see you, rev. >> let's start with the news about isis. what do you make of the u.s. plan to recapture mosul?
3:19 pm
>> rev, there's a big gaping hole that still remains here. i've always maintained that the military are the blunt tool of diplomacy and whatever military sanctions are authorized by the pentagon and the administration and the coalition, it should be supporting some sort of political road map and we don't have that at the moment. the landscape on the ground the tactical battlefield, if you like, in syria at the minute is incredibly complicated. it started off with the free syrian army and jabad al nusra who were working together against assad and his regime. that's how this all started off in syria in 2011. what we've move towards is three main area juf got jabed a al nusra and you've got the syrian regime and hezbollah, which obviously the shia force that work out of south lebanon traditionally against israel. so now they're working together and you've got the free syrian
3:20 pm
army and potentially the ypg, which is the kurds. and what we've got to head our gets around on the west, you mentioned that we're training equipping and supporting moderate rebels is that the moderate rebels aren't just fighting isis they're fighting jabad al nusra, hezbollah and the assad regime. in order for that to be successful in itself that has to be a fairly significant sizable ground force and air force to do that and that's what worries me. >> now, turning back to yemen, let's go back to yemen a minute. it's unclear what the political turmoil will mean to the war on terror. "the wall street journal" reports yemen's now former president personally approved a u.s. airstrike and drone program that targets al qaeda leaders and training camps. the u.s. also trained yemen's elite counterterrorism units and has spent nearly $1 billion on
3:21 pm
military economic and humanitarian assistance to the government since 2011. now, michael, is the situation in yemen going to up-end u.s. counterterrorism strategy? >> it's clearly a significant key to the war on trim in that part of the world, but yemen is kind of different to syria. the problem in syria is that you've got a president that just will not stand down. he's there and he's not going away. however, in yemen we have this national dialogue conference. and what that is it's a conference which was sponsored by the united nations, was led by the gcc and what effectively it was, it was a way of getting the incumbent, the president to stand down. he stood down because he was granted immunity. that allowed the vice president to stand up who is the president that just resigned. so there was kind of an option in 2011 there was sort of a way forward, if you like to try and get this political roadmap that we've spoken about. now yemen in the north, you've
3:22 pm
got the howthis and in the south the salafist groups. it's all about corruption the lack of bolstering the indigenous security forces the army, the police. and without those security structures in place, then terrorism can run rife. that's what you're seeing at the moment you're seeing for the shia dominated north with the howthis who now have the capital sanaa and in the south with the more jihadist groups. the key here is the security forces. if you remember in iraq when we went in and took out the security forces without a plan to replace them that's when insurgencies thrive that's when al qaeda thrives, that's when without the lack of governance people can run free and do what they want. >> well we're certainly going to be watching it and staying on top of it. michael kay, thank you for your time this evening. >> good to see you. have a great time in london. >> thank you. coming up we learn more about
3:23 pm
the nfl's investigation into the football scandal. is anyone from the team talking? and why are some on the right freaking out over interviews the president gave to youtube celebrities? conversation nation is ahead live from across the pond tonight. please stay with us. meet the world's newest energy superpower. surprised? in fact, america is now the world's number one natural gas producer... and we could soon become number one in oil. because hydraulic fracturing technology is safely recovering lots more oil and natural gas. supporting millions of new jobs. billions in tax revenue... and a new century of american energy security. the new energy superpower? it's red, white and blue. log on to learn more.
3:24 pm
i've been called a control freak... i like to think of myself as more of a control... enthusiast. mmm, a perfect 177-degrees. and that's why this road warrior rents from national. i can bypass the counter and go straight to my car. and i don't have to talk to any humans, unless i want to. and i don't. and national lets me choose any car in the aisle. control. it's so, what's the word?... sexy. go national. go like a pro.
3:25 pm
3:26 pm
you're looking at live pictures of the world-famous london eye. europe's tallest ferris wheel on the south bank of the thames river. i'm here in london where earlier today i met with members of parliament to talk about civil rights and policing issues both in america and abroad. the problems that we face in the united states and the problems
3:27 pm
connected in uk are the same problems. all we wanted was for the lord to protect the citizens and to enforce the law. we are not anti-police. we're anti-police brutality. criminal justice, civil rights policing, economic opportunity, these issues that i talk about every day back in new york and around the u.s. are not just american issues. they're global issues. we need to work together for global solutions. i'll have more on that and i'll speak live with a senior member of parliament ahead. ♪ [audible safety beeping] ♪ [audible safety beeping] ♪ the nissan rogue, with safety shield technologies. the only thing left to fear is your imagination.
3:28 pm
now save up to $1,000 when you finance the 2015 nissan rogue. nissan. innovation that excites. he best chicken k? because i make the best chicken noodle soup. because i make the best chicken noodle soup. because i make the best chicken noodle soup. for every way you make chicken noodle soup, make it delicious with swanson®. you only know in a fire to get out, to escape and now ok you are outside and you are safe but what do you do now and that's where the red cross came in... . we ran out of the house just wearing our pajamas. at that point just to even have a toothbrush that i could call my own was so important... . ...you know it just makes you feel like a person again. every 8 minutes the american red cross responds to a home fire or other emergency. you can help. please donate now. when it comes to medicare, everyone talks about what happens when you turn sixty-five. but, really, it's what you do before that counts.
3:29 pm
see, medicare doesn't cover everything. only about eighty percent of part b medical costs. the rest is on you. [ male announcer ] consider an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans it could really save you in out-of-pocket medical costs. so, call now and request this free decision guide. discover how an aarp medicare supplement plan could go long™ for you. do you want to choose your doctors? avoid networks? what about referrals? [ male announcer ] all plans like these let you visit any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients, with no networks and virtually no referrals needed. so, call now request your free guide, and explore the range of aarp medicare supplement plans. sixty-five may get all the attention, but now is a good time to start thinking about how you want things to be. [ male announcer ] go long™. i have the flu with a runny nose. [coughs] better take something. theraflu severe cold won't treat your runny nose. really?
3:30 pm
alka-seltzer severe cold and flu relieves your worst flu symptoms plus runny nose. [breath of relief] oh, what a relief it is. mommy! hey! now, to the nfl's investigation into the so-called deflate-gate controversy. the nfl confirming today that evidence suggests the patriot's
3:31 pm
footballs were deflated and that 40 sper views have been conducted so far. the league also saying the team has pledged their full cooperation. team owner robert kraft says it's giving the league access to every employee and every communication device. but we still don't know if the league has talked to quarterback tom brady. here's brady yesterday. >> they haven't talked to you yet? the league has not contacted you or spoken to you? >> no but they may. i think that's their -- i think that's obviously their choice. >> tom do you find that odd, though, if they wanted, like tom said, to put this behind us and get ready for the super bowl -- >> sure. they might. they might. >> it's odd that they haven't at this point. you're the quarterback and you're at the center of this story right now and the league's
3:32 pm
officials investigators haven't talked to you indicates to a lot of people that they're letting this drag on twist in the wind? >> i'm not sure. >> while the investigation continues, many in the court of public opinion have already ruled, and not just fans of social media, a growing list of former players don't buy brady's story. joining me now is cbs sports network dana jacobson. thank you for being here. >> thanks rev. >> dana what's your reaction to the nfl's statement today? >> i think they're being deliberate on purpose. they really didn't tell us anything that we don't already know but i do think it's important to point out this isn't very easy to do. you do have to talk to everybody involved. it wasn't like somebody was going to come forward and say, yes, i know what happened here you go i'm the person that deflated these footballs and i have the whole story. i think with the history they have right now, they're trying to go through everything very thoroughly. they hired somebody to
3:33 pm
investigate that people should have a lot of belief in in ted wells. he's the one that was in charge of the investigation surrounding the richie incognito situation in miami. i know everybody wants it solved right away but this isn't a police crime drama that gets wrapped up in an hour. this is real life. >> now, the nfl's statement also said, quote, we have obtained an are continuing to obtain additional information including video and other electronic information and physical evidence. what are you hearing about this dana? >> it's the same thing. they are investigating. i said it's almost like a csi episode where they're trying to find anything out through any means necessary because this is the patriots this is the spygate team this is the team that it was proven before did cheat, did circumvent the rules and, in this case while everybody seems to be in agreement, and i agree, that this isn't something that gave the team a competitive
3:34 pm
advantage, if it's rule breaking it's rule breaking and they need to be punished. so they have the figure out through whatever means if it happened and it won't be because somebody tells them that it happened. >> many players don't believe brady had no knowledge. let's play that now. >> you know it's obvious that tom brady had something to do with this. and so for the balls to have been deflated that doesn't happen unless the quarterback wants that to happen. i can assure you of that. now the question comes did bill belichick know about it. >> i don't believe what tom had to say. i don't believe there's an equipment manager in the nfl that on his own initiative would deflate the ball without the starting quarterback's approval. >> this is unbelievable. for you not to know what you touch every play. >> your reaction to that dana? >> i think they're right. and every former player that i talked with yesterday sort of had a similar reaction in the
3:35 pm
idea of nobody's going to mess with a team's footballs unless there's sort of a knowledge about it. now, i don't necessarily say or believe and i'm not willing to stay that i think tom brady lied about it. i don't think he went up to somebody and said here deflate these footballs, but it's very strange that only the patriots' footballs were affected. something had to happen and it didn't happen just by nature. it just doesn't make sense that it happened. i agree with those saying they have a hard time believing what tom brady was saying because it does seem he has to have some involvement even if it wasn't something that he ordered. >> will we get a ruling before the super bowl next sunday dana? >> i don't see it happening. and really for the reason of again, this wasn't a competitive advantage. they scored more points in the second half when they were using the regularly inflated footballs and there are even reports out now that towards ss the end of the first half they were using the colts footballs which had the appropriate psi for the
3:36 pm
footballs. so the nfl is trying to quiet the storm a little bit, let the game be played, then they'll rule. feels like no matter what they say, no matter what the ruling there's going to be more outcry so why not wait till that game's played. i may be wrong but that's just a gut feeling on when we'll get a ruling. >> dana jacobson thank you for your time tonight. have a great weekend. >> thank you. coming up is sarah palin running for president? some on the right are slamming president obama for talking with youtube celebrities. late night comedians are having a ball with deflate-gate. a special london edition of conversation nation is next here on msnbc.
3:37 pm
[ fishing rod casting line, marching band playing ] [ male announcer ] the rhythm of lng rod cas [ whistle blowing ] where do you hear that beat? campbell's healthy request soup lets you hear it in your heart. [ basketball bouncing ] heart healthy. great taste. [ m'm... ] [ tapping ] sounds good. campbell's healthy request. m'm! m'm! good.® they're still after me. get to the terminal across town. are all the green lights you? no. it's called grid iq. the 4:51 is leaving at 4:51. ♪ they cut the power. it'll fix itself. power's back on. quick thinking traffic lights and self correcting power grids make the world predictable. thrillingly predictable.
3:38 pm
nexium, the purple pill, is available without a prescription for frequent heartburn. get complete protection. so no matter where you go, or who you're with. nothing is holding you back. this is nexium level protection™. the #1 prescribed acid-blocking brand, available without a prescription for frequent heartburn. get complete protection. nexium level protection™. we come by almost every day to deliver your mail so if you have any packages you want to return you should just give them to us i mean, we're going to be there anyway why don't you just leave it for us to pick up? or you could always get in your car and take it back yourself yeah, us picking it up is probably your easiest option
3:39 pm
it's kind of a no brainer ok, well, good talk push your enterprise and you can move the world. ♪ ♪ but to get from the old way to the new you'll need the right it infrastructure. from a partner who knows how to make your enterprise more agile, borderless and secure. hp helps business move on all the possibilities of today. and stay ready for everything that is still to come.
3:40 pm
time now for "conversation nation." joining me tonight "access hollywood's" shawn robinson democratic strategist jimmy williams and caroline modeesi-terrani. thank you all for being here. >> thanks rev. >> we start with some on the right attacking president obama. this time over some interviews he gave to youtube celebrities. president obama was interviewed by three stars at the white house as part of his state of the union rollout. they even took a group selfie
3:41 pm
together. but some didn't like it especially his interview with glozell. >> it just seemed beneath the dignity of the office hanging out with some of these youtubers. this was promoted as the state of the union is a serious policy speech and this looked like obama was going to the d-list hollywood after-party. >> caroline is it beneath the dignity or is it a smart way to reach a younger audience? >> it's so smart. i love that it's beneath the dignity of the office of the president to hang out with young american citizens what is beneath about that? i thing, look, the state of the union this year received the lowest ratings for the last i think, 15 years. this is very smart strategy by the white house to make the president go and you know be seen to be on youtube. these channels are social
3:42 pm
channels where young people today are getting their news from. people aren't sitting down to watch the state of the union address any more. they're going to youtube and finding clips. it's the 21st century, for goodness sake. >> jimmy, is it beneath the dignity or trying to reach a younger audience? i bring you on to reach a younger audience. >> as an old man, i would suggest that the president's doing something very smart, which is reaching out to people that voted for him. crazy. unlike howard kurtz who has no idea what youtube is. i am willing to bet howard kurtz probably uses an abacus to count and do his checking account. that's okay. if fox and their friends want to think that the president of the united states or youtube or instagram or facebook or twitter or anything that's social media is below the dignity of the presidency, i can't wait to see when a republican actually gets back into the white house -- hopefully not in my lifetime -- and see if they use any kind of social media. oh wait maybe that's why
3:43 pm
they'll never get back in the white house because young people won't vote for them. that's why. >> hey, rev -- >> shawn, what do you think shawn? >> rev this reminds me of when bill clinton as a governor appeared on the arsenio hall show and played the saxophone. he was behind in the polls. everybody said the day after that really turned the race around. and we know the outcome of that. look, these did you tubers have millions of followers. if you are saying that talking to these reporters are beneath the dignity of the presidency, you're also saying that the people who follow them are not worth reaching out to. >> absolutely. >> that's a very noninclusive very dangerous message. >> yep. >> but i don't know arsenio was before my time. i'm in the jimmy fallon generation. but anyway now i have to go back to -- i have to go back to sarah palin. is sarah palin running for president? a reporter asked if she's interested. here's that response again.
3:44 pm
>> i mean of course when you have a servant's heart, when you know that there is opportunity to do all you can to put yourself forward in the name of offering service, anybody would be interested. >> jimmy, do you think she's serious? >> oh i pray -- tonight, i don't take prayer lightly, but i promise you tonight when i go to bed i'm praying that sarah palin makes good on her word. she is this weekend heading to iowa to steve king's cantaloupe conference. and i think it's wonderful that she's hanging out with a bunch of people that think that immigrants are bad and gay people are bad and black people shouldn't be able to vote et cetera et cetera. so if sarah palin's running for president, bring it on. i hope she does. mission not accomplished once again. >> shaun? >> well rev, look one of the things that was hanging -- the
3:45 pm
phrases hanging over sarah palin's head when she was running for the vice presidential slot over john mccain is this woman ready to be a heartbeat away from the presidency. and so today she would not be a heartbeat away. she would actually be the heartbeat. so the question is have people gotten over the gaffes o ss of i can see russia from my braurd. not to be able to come up with a book or magazine when katie couric asked her. is she ready to become the most powerful person in the world, so we'll have to wait and see if that's actually true. she has those supporters. she might be interested, does she have the support, that's the question. >> caroline? >> everyone was getting out their popcorn, weren't they when they heard it. news hounds were rubbing their hands with glee. i would only hope by her suggesting that she is even considering a run in 2016 make some republican who is a little
3:46 pm
less crazy than the ones we've seen coming out of the woodwork of late and saying they're throwing their hat in the race you know what? maybe i will put my hat in the race as well. because honestly the idea of having sarah palin as president, sorry, that's no verbal response more of a physical thing, so yeah. >> before we go i have to ask this one question because i'm here in london where there's no doubt who the royal couple is. will and kate are the talk of the town. but i wonder who my panelists thing are american royalty. shaun, what do you think? >> well my american royalty, rev, is actually a threesome. it's fitz olivia and jake. no matter who she chooses, it will be one hot and steamy romance on "scandal." >> that is interesting. jimmy? >> yeah that is interesting.
3:47 pm
i'm going with neil patrick harris and his husband david burka. the reason i'm doing it is because there's nothing that neil patrick harris can't do. he's been nomen ittateinated for every single award and his husband's an accomplished actor in himself. they're not only handsome they're great fathers to their children but i think they would make a wonderful royal couple in america. >> caroline? >> i love that one. i was going to say tom brady and giselle, but obviously deflate-gate happened and deflated my answer. it's a tricky one. but i was thinking of ellen degeneres and portia de rossi because what a gorgeous couple, they are really, aren't they? they're like first family material. i think they're fantastic. yeah they'll do. they'll be my winning. >> we'll have to leave it there, shaun, jimmy and caroline thank you for your time. have a great weekend.
3:48 pm
>> say hi to the queen for me rev. >> we'll be right back with the fight for social justice in london, new york and around the world. you're watching a special edition of "politics nation" live from london. stay with us. why do i cook? because i make the best chicken noodle soup. because i make the best chicken noodle soup. because i make the best chicken noodle soup. for every way you make chicken noodle soup, make it delicious with swanson®. we needed 30 new hires for our call center. i'm sp
3:49 pm
inequality, the wealth gap, the income gap.
3:50 pm
these aren't just american problems, they're issues that people struggle with all over the world. and my next guest has been fighting that fight here in the uk for decades. mp diane abbott who was the first black woman to be elected to the house of commons and is a tireless activist and civil rights fighter and a fighter for fairness. thank you so much for being here ms. abbott. >> it's a pleasure. >> you know a lot of people don't realize we're all fighting this same fight on inequality in every country around the world, isn't that right? >> that is absolutely direct. here in london we have more millionaires than any city in the world, more than even new york i think. but a quarter of our children live in poverty, and the inequality gap is widening every
3:51 pm
day because even when people are in work it's low-paid work it's nonunionized work it's insecure work. inequality in london is an open wound. >> now, you hosted this meeting that you brought me to at the house of commons today and other members of parliament came your colleagues support you and you had leaders from all over england really come and i was struck by a lot of the same conversation, income inequality economic disparities and problems with policing that you're dealing with right here in england. it was almost like i never crossed the pond. and how in tune people here are with the issues and the fights and the struggles that we're having at home. for example, there have been protests -- i don't think a lot of people in america know there
3:52 pm
have been protests in london over what happened in staten island with eric gardner and michael brown in ferguson. >> yes we've had a number of protests. i myself have spoken at rallies outside the american embassy here in london protesting ferguson and what happened in staten island and also we've had protests in shopping malls where hundreds of young people have just lain down and they've closed the mall down. what's interesting about it is the young people aren't getting their information from mainstream news outlets, they're getting it from online they're getting it from twitter, they're getting it from facebook. we're living in a world of globalized protest. >> now, let me ask you this ms. abbott, one of the things that also struck me and it's very encouraging in the u.s. is we're seeing young people of all
3:53 pm
races coming together. we talked today, they talked about immigration, they talked about how we must struggle on not only issues of bad police because we're not anti-police, but bad police but on immigration, on islam o phobeophobia, what is happening to gays and using peaceful protest and the vote, you have a big election here in may. >> one of the positive things about current times is yes, we're still in an economic crisis and yes many people are struggling but young people of all colors are coming together and campaigns on social justice, around lesbian and gay rights immigration are more popular among young people than ever and that's a hope for the future. >> you've been there and you've really paid dues and you're
3:54 pm
still one of those that is out front leading the way. pm diane abbott thank you so much for staying up late to be here tonight. it's late here in london. have a great weekend. >> thank you. we'll be right back with some highlights from my trip to oxford university. i was given a warm welcome and a chance to make some important points about civil rights. your mom's got your back. your friends have your back. your dog's definitely got your back. but who's got your back when you need legal help? we do. we're legalzoom, and over the last 10 years we've helped millions of people protect their families and run their businesses. we have the right people on-hand to answer your questions, backed by a trusted network of attorneys. so visit us today for legal help you can count on. legalzoom. legal help is here. when heartburn comes creeping up on you... fight back with relief so smooth... ...it's fast.
3:55 pm
tums smoothies starts dissolving the instant it touches your tongue ...and neutralizes stomach acid at the source. ♪ tum, tum tum tum...♪ smoothies! only from tums. ♪ with the incredible fuel efficiency of 38 miles-per-gallon highway you can feel like royalty in the nissan altima. now, get great offers on the 38 mpg highway nissan altima. nissan innovation that excites.
3:56 pm
i'm here in the uk because race policing and criminal justice aren't just american issues. they're global problems. and we should seek global solutions. in 1981 riots broke out in brixton in south london sparked by the uk's version of stop and frisk, and over the next two decades several deaths of young black men in apparently racially motivated attacks shocked the uk
3:57 pm
and the world. this is why i'm here today, to shine a light on our shared struggle and talk about finding a way forward. earlier today i spoke at the historic oxford union at the center of the oldest university in the english-speaking world. i talked about how even the darkest moments can lead to powerful change. this morning i was at the house of commons in london and as i sat there i thought about how 24 years ago i came to england. i came to lead a march for a young man who was killed by a self-described white supremacist mob mob. the young man's name was roland adams. i met a lady at that time who was his aunt met his mother. this morning that aunt re-introduced herself to me. she's a member of the house of lords in england in 24 years.
3:58 pm
she went from just protesting to where she's in a position of power. that shows the ability to change and transform and be part of a continuing transformation if we are determined to do so. back in the u.s. the movie "selma" has reminded millions of americans of how far we've come but today at oxford i also talked about how far we have to go a long we've got to go. there's so much work yet to be done. when we look at america today, yes, there is still unfairness unequality, yes, there are sill elements of racism and sexism and homophobia but that is all in transition because there are people that are fighting every
3:59 pm
day in different ways to change that. the challenge is today on how do you deal with makeing fair the criminal justice system, how do you make law enforcement accountable to where they are not above the law does not make you anti-police. we are not anti-police because we challenge a chokehold case in staten island new york. we are, in fact pro police we work with police. the injusts we still face are why people have been marching peacefully in the streets over these last few months. and we must continue to have these kinds of discussions, raise our voices protest where we must but always towards solutions, always toward making it a better and open and just
4:00 pm
society. not just making noise but making change all over the world. thanks for watching. i'm al sharpton. "hardball" starts right now. youtube president. let's play "hardball." good evening. i'm chris matthews in washington. wild. president obama will not settle for thins as they used to be nor will he settle for americans of any age not getting involved with their country. he's out there doing interviews on youtube. and what's with bill clinton and martin scorsese? why are they shelving that documentary of theirs? is there something we really don't know? re

93 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on