Skip to main content

tv   Hardball With Chris Matthews  MSNBC  May 12, 2015 4:00pm-5:01pm PDT

4:00 pm
what i heard, not allowing preconceived notions define you. define yourself and stay faithful to who you are. their criticisms only proved her point of their preconceived notions and how they won't change. thanks for watching. i'm al sharpton. "hardball" starts right now. warren in a knockout let's play "hardball." good evening. i'm chris matthews in washington. elizabeth warren has sent a signedwinder missile into the white house, attacking for weeks in broad daylight the massachusetts senator actually hit president obama where he's been weakest, championing the cause of international trade. warren scored a huge victory today leaving the crushed president with just a single u.s. senator on his side.
4:01 pm
needing 60 votes to break a filibuster, she kept it to just 52, a huge legislative shortfall for his trade bill. does this mean the victory of the protectionist argument? it's not clear. 14 democrats could still be persuaded to vote the pro-trade side, but today's vote was a clear cut it defeat by the insurgent senator warren a smashing defeat for her fellow democrat in the white house who was unable knowing the pressure was on to rally partisans to his side. so what's this say for 2016? well warren's victory perk up the draft warren forces out there? will it drive hillary clinton who has yet to declare sides on trade issue, to join today's winning side? will it shao warren or her ally sherrod brown on to the 2016 hillary ticket? chris jansing is at the white house. chris, what is the president going to do after this resounding defeat. >> reporter: already moving and
4:02 pm
regrouping. shortly after this vote, chris, he called democrats, pro-trade democrats into the white house for a meeting and tried to look at where we're going to go going forward. how do we do what we need to do to make this bill work. he also send out a letter to his supporters making it clear that he's not giving up. he wrote that this is personal to me, in an e-mail that went out through his organizing for action mailing list. he also said this is our chance to do better and to get it right. now, obviously this has been a priority of his second term agenda. it's also something he put a major push into the president and the vice president spent countless hours in meetings on phone calls. the entire cabinet was called to work on this vote. you had the treasury secretary who went out and made arguments about manipulation of currency, trying to convince democrats about that. you also very shortly after he was sworn into office had the new defense secretary ash carter
4:03 pm
making a speech saying that this is about national security. this has been a major push by this white house but the major push backed up by elizabeth warren who the president said very publicly was absolutely wrong on this, and after the vote today sherrod brown, her close ale, said that the president's comments were disrespectful. he thought he made it too personal. now we're going to see out of that meeting what the white house does going forward. chris? >> thanks so much. nbc's chris jansing at the white house. senator elizabeth warren continued her assault on the president's trade agenda hours before her party derailed that big vote in the senate, and here she is. >> over and over american workers have taken the brunt of bad trade deals. this country is in real trouble. the game is rigged and we are running out of time. we cannot continue to run this country for the top 10%.
4:04 pm
we can't keep pushing through trade deals that benefit multi-national companies at the expense of workers. government cannot continue to be the captive of the rich and powerful. >> michael steele was rnc chair and ed rendell was the governor of pennsylvania and dnc chair. both are msnbc analysts. governor rendell, do you think the president was too personal in attacking elizabeth warren in this big fight today that she won? >> well, i wouldn't have done it, but i don't think he was too personal. he said she was wrong and i think elizabeth is warren. trade in most case -- expanded trade helps the small and mid-sized companies who don't do trade and who are exposed to trade for the first time and we see those bear yes, those quotas and tariffs knocked down but what shocks me about this vote, chris, there was a recent poll that showed democrats, not republicans or independents although them, too, but democrats overwhelmingly support
4:05 pm
expanded trade and think it's good for the economy. >> well so does bill clinton. >> right. >> the president certainly does. here's sherrod brown, democrat from ohio openly admitted protectionist going after president barack obama for singling out elizabeth warren in this debate. let's watch. >> i think the president was disrespectful to her by the way he did that. i think the president has made this more personal than he needed to, and i know he disagrees when he said that we don't know -- a number of us not just senator warren don't know what we're talking about. we're fighting the last war. a number of those phrases he used. i assume he wished he hadn't said them. >> i don't know, michael. i think he did wish he said them. i have a feeling he's really mad at some of these guys who seem to be sporting along with the labor unions and not really focusing so much on the facts here. >> i think you're right about that. i find this conundrum that the democrats find themselves in to be a little bit humorous because the reality of it this is not nafta so it's kind of this retreat to the old conversation
4:06 pm
about nafta. i think it's misplaced. i think the idea of expanding the pacific rim with pacific rim partners in the trade area is important for the country. this is about how you graduate businesses into this new marketplace. the president is articulated that. now, i will fault the administration on this point and that is they didn't bring along those elizabeth warrens in the senate. they didn't bring that voice into the conversation until much later so they were able to take i think a greater hold on the conversation. the president found himself more on the defensive than i thought he needed to be. he had support. >> i want to get back to governor rendell. from the time this issue got sharp a couple weeks ago, governor, i've been trying to make a case this is a legitimate debate among the democratic party and the progressive movement that there are both sides to the argument. that's been pushed on television over and over again, including on this network, is somehow if you're a progressive, you've got to be against trade which is nonsense. kennedy was for t.bill clinton is openly for it. it's a positive proposal to try
4:07 pm
to enlarge our potential for exporting -- for promotion and everything else and yet it's been sold as somehow one-sided. i don't think it's one-sided, the fact that you pointed out that poll that shows most democrats support it makes the case. >> no question. it's just -- to me it's very clear. in pennsylvania during my eight years as governor because of a program we started we tripled our exports, went from 13 billion a year to 40 billion a year and that created thousands of well-paying jobs in the u.s. and by the way, chris, export-related jobs pay 18% higher than non-export-related jobs. if we're talking about good middle class jobs trade is one. ways that we can achieve that. >> do you have a sense where hillary clinton is going to come out on this because she's been cooling it basically? she's made a point on the issue of sovereignty, the sovereignty issue, one of the side issues. she made it in her book so she's covered on that. is she going to come out, or can
4:08 pm
she wait this out this, fight? >> she can wait it out a little bit, but she has to say that environmental and labor concerns are our most important issues and i think those concerns as michael said this isn't nafta. some of the weaknesses of nafta have been buttressed in this bill so i think it's going to be hard for her to be against it. >> anyway the senator who is at the middle of this ron widen of oregon, the top democrat in the finance committee, said in reaction to the failed vote the following late today. >> this morning 14 pro-trade democrats met, and i can assure that all the senators here that these are senators who are committed, strongly committed, to ensuring that this bill passes. >> so there you've got -- the republican party, well over 50 votes, and 14 democrats in w.h.o. want this, and yet this whole kerfuffle blew up today. it seems to me it's still
4:09 pm
possible on the merits that we get a trade bill. >> i think you're absolutely right. i see this more as a process vote more than anything else. it gives people the ability to say i voted against this at this stage of the game. i think they are going to double back those 14 senators that widen refers to. >> those 14 who are wavering who are pro-trade and say come on i need one for the team. that goes back -- does that go back -- i'm going to ask you an open-ended question. is that his problem with not having personal relations with the members? >> well i think that there's something to that chris, and i also think that that's a little bit of an excuse that democrats and the house and for that matter republicans in the house and senate use, to vote on the
4:10 pm
merits of the bill. is it good for the american people, and i was on with sherrod brown, and i pointed out that five of ohio's most important industries face tariffs from 30% to 70% in most of those asian countries tariffs that will be totally removed and those ohio businesses will want to do trade will see the numbers and the dollars skyrocket, and so it's time for the senators to do what's right for their people and their constituency not for a slice of the party but for the people of the states they represent. >> okay. let's talk presidential politics. senator warren elizabeth warren of mass marks sounded like a candidate today on the stump when she spoke in washington this morning on party's progressive agenda. here she is, i think a big victory for her. she will be in all the headlines tomorrow. let's watch her in action. >> the middle class is on the ropes and now is the time to fight back.
4:11 pm
i believe in the working people of america, and i believe that if we show a little backbone if we show a little gumption, that we can rebuild america's once invincible middle class, and i believe that this is a fight worth having. >> well michael steele the republican side looks to me like she sounds like a candidate.if she's not going to run she's going to make people want her to run and whether she's fighting for a piece on the ticket or a piece of hillary, but for sherrod brown to be on the ticket, it looked like she wanted tonight nominee. >> she's feeding that beast and this narrative is what you'll see play out not just on trade and other issues that are going to box hillary clinton down the line. >> is she running for herself or to box hillary? >> i think it's a combination at this point. i think works -- >> governor, what do you see going on with that rhetoric of hers? there's nothing wrong with it. >> it's politics. >> good old stump rhetoric but doesn't sound like a person who is just a legislator. >> if she's so interested in creating jobs for the middle
4:12 pm
class, is she willing to put up a tax vote for expanded infrastructure for raising the gas tax which would do more to produce well-paying middle class jobs than anything we're talking about. i think someone should ask senator warren do that. >> you do something substantive instead of politically. thank you, governor, you amaze me how smart you really are. thank you governor ed rendell, a free trader and an open mind and brilliant man. thank you so much for coming on and, of course michael steele enjoying this whole screwup by the democrats. coming up, nfl suspended tom brady the other day. he's fighting that punishment. now the debate is over whether the league made the right call. i think they did. is four games too hard or does it prove no not even the league's golden boys is above the rules and the right wing clown car continues on dr. ben carson, the retired neurosurgeon, is doubling down on his argument that president obama is a psychopath, is that clinical is that in your charts
4:13 pm
and voicing concern that the republican crazies could actually hurt the party in 016. and the conservative backlash against first lady michelle obama for her unvarnished remarks about race in this country. finally let me finish with the president's big defeat today, and it was a defeat. this is "hardball," the place for politics. why are we so committed to keeping you connected? why combine performance with a conscience? why innovate for a future without accidents? why do any of it? why do all of it? because if it matters to you it's everything to us. the xc60 crossover. from volvo. lease the well equiped volvo xc60 today. visit your local volvo showroom for details. you total your brand new car. nobody's hurt,but there will still be pain. it comes when your insurance company says they'll only pay three-quarters of what it takes to replace it. what are you supposed to do, drive three-quarters of a car? now if you had liberty mutual new car replacement, you'd get your whole car back. i guess
4:14 pm
they don't want you driving around on three wheels. smart. with liberty mutual new car replacement, we'll replace the full value of your car. see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance. well christianity is on the decline in america, at least numerically. the number of people who say they are not affiliated with any religion is on the rise. according to a new pew poll 72% of adults describe themselves as christian, down from 78% in 2007. meanwhile nearly a quarter of men say they are not affiliated at all with any religion and that number is up seven points from 16% in 2007. in fact more americans say they are not affiliated with a religion that are either roman catholic or mainline protestant and we'll be right back.
4:15 pm
4:16 pm
with xfinity from comcast you can manage your account anytime, anywhere on any device. just sign into my account to pay bills manage service appointments and find answers to your questions. you can even check your connection status on your phone. now it's easier than ever to manage your account. get started at xfinity.com/myaccount it didn't look good and,
4:17 pm
you know figure something like this may happen but, yeah, i mean i guess -- tom's been a friend of mine. i don't like to see anybody get suspended. any time you lose you know your starting quarterback for four games and draft picks, you know, it's pretty big statement and obviously the nfl is serious about not -- not messing with the integrity of the game no matter how big or little the issue is. >> welcome pack to "hardball." everybody seems to have an opinion about tom brady's four-game suspension. even white house press secretary josh earnest was asked about the news today. >> i will say, just as a general matter, that i do think that people around the world, particularly children particularly boys do look up to tom brady, and i think that as he confronts this particular situation and he determines what the next steps will be for him that he'll be mindful of the way that he serves to be -- the way
4:18 pm
he servings as a role model, not just to american kids but to kids around the world. >> when delivering that discipline yesterday nfl executive vice president of operations troy vincent wrote to brady your actions as set for the in the report clearly constitute conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the game of professional football. anyway, the decision came after the league's investigation found, quote, it's more probable than not that brady was generally aware of the inappropriate activities. brady's agent donald yee blasted the initial report and the league's disciplinary measuring. he said, quote, the discipline is ridiculous and has no legitimate basis. there's no evidence that tom directed footballs be set at pressures below the allowable limits. was the nfl's decision too hard or did they send the right message? i'm joined by randal hill, a former wide receiver for the dolphins, arizona cardinals and new orleans saints and sean gregory who is a senior writer for "time." let me go with randall. you had the right call on this a
4:19 pm
couple nights here. are you happy with the way they assigned the guilt and the blame and the sanctions? >> i am extremely happy. you know it is what it is. it's not -- actually it's not necessarily a happy or sad but i knew troy would come down the way he did because i played with him. you know he has the utmost respect for the game and he wants to see the game played properly. >> mr. gregory? what do you think of the call? >> i think it was too harsh. i think the wells report is very well done and it's persuasive. however, it goes out of its way to specify that there's less direct evidence linking trade toe this than the locker room attendants so that gives brady wiggle room i believe to get this penalty shortened. >> well, if they couldn't prove it, the wells report as you suggest, should they have not said anything and if they said it probably happened should they have not done anything here? mean, which is is it? do you say they shouldn't have reported that there was a problem with this behavior or
4:20 pm
question about it or not because once they said it was problem that he knew about it what should they have done then? >> you're talking about the nfl? >> yeah. >> once they knew -- once they said brady probably knew about, it then what were they supposed to do or should they have covered up the fact that they thought he probably was involved? >> you know, a one-game suspension, maybe two games. >> you're not answering my question. what should they have done the nfl because you don't like the way they did it, should they have covered up for the fact that he probably did it or said he probably did and it not punish him. there's only two possibilities in what you're thinking here, which is it? >> chris, i really don't understand the question. >> it's not complicated. should they have covered up the fact that they thought he was aware of it should they have covered that up? >> no. >> once they -- once they declared it in the wells report that he believed he was probably aware of the whole thing, what should they have done then well we think he probably did it but we're going to let it go? that's what you're saying.
4:21 pm
you don't think they should have let him go. >> i never said let him go. >> what do you think they should have said. >> i'm saying that the evidence in the wells report does not directly link tom brady to this. >> so you're saying he probably was generally aware is what they said. what should they have done once they said that? >> once the wells report says that. >> everybody thinks he did know about it. what do you do then. once the cat is out of the bag and everybody thinks that the wells report says he probably knew about it then what do you do? you punish the patriots and tom brady like they did. all i said four games, a quarter of a season when there's wiggle room for trade to get out of this i think is too harsh. >> too harsh if he probably did but not too harsh if he definitely did it. if you had more evidence you'd be for the four games? >> i think so yeah. there's no evidence really in here -- listen i think -- >> i'm trying to figure out where you're at here.
4:22 pm
do you think he did what he was accused of doing you think the punishment is doing? >> i game away from the wells report, chris, believing that probably if i were to bet that tom brady knew what was going on. however, you know i was a little -- kind of when i read though it i thought that the fact that the wells report leaned pretty heavily on communication between brady and the locker room attendants. >> if we find out more evidence that locks this case up would you then be for this degree of punishment, the four games and the two draft picks and the million bucks? >> if something else comes out that definitely tom brady was behind this and definitely running this operation, of course, sure. >> let me go to randal a question people have and i wonder how the communication work. they gave the guy a few champkies in the locker room and little gifts from the quarterback. how else do we know about the communication? i like this at 10.5 psi? >> listen it is very very obvious that mr. brady has a
4:23 pm
good relationship with equipment managers. usually quarterbacks do have very good relationships with the equipment managers and i'm willing to bet that he directed them to take a little bit out here, take a little bit out there. equipment manager or the assistant equipment manager is not going to do that on their own, are you kidding me and for him to come back and say i don't even know these guys' names, being smug and arrogant and a slap in the face to the game. >> mr. mcnally knows his own name and he's out of football. what do you think of that, mr. gregory, the little guy, now is canned? and for the rest of his life he'll no why he did it because it won't do much good because he's finished in football and the other guy is off for four weeks. >> i think it's a sad result. mcneal, there was directed evidence, he called himself the deflator. i think -- i do think that tom brady probably had something to do with this okay? i'm just saying that in the report given what's in there i
4:24 pm
don't think it's direct evidence, and i think it leaves room for tom brady to wiggle out of it and that's why i thought there's a cushion on this penalty so that it will probably get shortened. >> i get your point. my argument is this. i've watched tom brady in that thing when he h cap on and watched him at the homer love fest up there at salem state and not once did he make a clear cut statement i don't know anything about deflating balls, never had a conversation on the subject with anybody. this is completely beyond my knowledge. he never did that. he was cute. he smirked and you could have watched him the whole time and got the idea this guy is wise to it all and he's having a good time laughing at people. did you get the sense he could have come clean, could have made it very clear, if he was totally innocent he could have made that clear because he didn't? >> totally. he's been cute the whole time. you don't have to like how he's handled this. i don't think the patriots have handled it that way.
4:25 pm
>> if you're innocent wouldn't you make it clear you're innocent. wouldn't you be screaming to high heaven. i don't know what the jokers are up to. i don't know what the jokers are up to. i wouldn't do something like that. >> definitely looks suspicious, no doubt. >> thanks so much. sorry to be hard on you, but welcome to "hardball," my friend sean gregory and randal you had this right from the beginning. >> thank you. >> a great new book about the wright brothers, a story of persistence and what makes america great. it's thrilling. this is "hardball," the place for politics. lincoln mkc. we also want clever thinking in a tight spot. anyone offer hands-free in and out park assist? lincoln mkc. bra-vo. the lincoln luxury uncovered event is on. lease the mkc for $329 a month. and for a limited time competitive owners and lessees get one-thousand dollars bonus cash.
4:26 pm
doers. they don't worry if something's possible. they just do it. at sears optical, we're committed to bringing them eyewear that works as hard as they do. right now, save up to $200 on eyeglasses. quality eyewear for doers. sears optical if you misplaced your discover card you can now use freeze it to prevent new purchases on your account in seconds. and once you find it you can switch it right on again. you're back! freeze it, only from discover. get it at discover.com. i've smoked a lot and quit a lot but ended up nowhere. now i use this. the nicoderm cq patch, with unique extended release technology helps prevent the urge to smoke all day. i want this time to be my last time. that's why i choose nicoderm cq. when a moment spontaneously turns romantic why pause to take a pill? and why stop what you're doing to find a bathroom? cialis for daily use, is the only daily tablet approved to treat erectile dysfunction so you can be ready anytime the moment
4:27 pm
is right. plus cialis treats the frustrating urinary symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently, day or night. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medicines, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, get medical help right away for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision or any symptoms of an allergic reaction stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis for daily use. insurance coverage has expanded nationally and you may now be covered. contact your health plan for the latest information.
4:28 pm
♪ ♪ call 1-800-royal caribbean or your travel agent today. welcome back to "hardball." pulitzer prize winning author david mccullough has written a powerful american story of the two brothers who took mankind into the air. how one brother began at age 10 making and selling kites, how they started a bicycle shop and then began making bicycles, how all this time one of the brothers is reading everything
4:29 pm
on the subject of aerial locomotion. ultimately they left the word impossible on the sandy beaches of kitty hawk north carolina as they flew above the shore. mccullough tells the story of an american story in the era of thomas edison and henry ford at the dawn of the american century. we have the author of "the wright brothers" with us right here david mccullough. you've done it again, sir. >> thank you, chris. >> john adams, harry truman and now you've discovered it's like discovering the statue of liberty like lee iacocca and there it was all the time we grew up reading the landmark series, "the wright brothers," how do you do this? how do you find the iconic american story that others have walked past and not stopped to examine? >> i don't know. i've reached a stage in my working life and in my life when i'm look ging back at what i've
4:30 pm
been doing. i never thought too much about is there a theme or is there the repeating approach or whatever but i realize that almost everybody that i've written about was out to accomplish something difficult against the odds, against public opinion or even against -- in the face of public ridicule but would not give up. george washington would not give up in 1776 when everything was going against him. harry truman would not give up all through his life particularly 1948 and these two do not give up. this isn't just that they have ambition and incredible intelligence and insight, but they get knocked down as it were again and again and again and they get back up and they keep going, and i think there's a tremendous lesson to be learned. i think it's also an i like very much when you said that these were profoundly american
4:31 pm
stories. these are -- this is a very american story. and -- and their attitude about having purpose in life high purpose, i know it seems like a bad pun for somebody who went up in airplanes, but every time they went up and courage. every time they went up in one of their planes each was risking his life. they knew they could be killed and consequently they never went up together because if one was killed the other would still be alive to carry on. >> i love this quote that you found, david. according to "the washington post" it is a fact that man can't fly. >> exactly. >> so much for twasht and somewhere in here it says it will take a thousand years to wait until after one of the setbacks. >> they had no support and they had no foundation they had no university behind them. they knew nobody in political office who could help them. they had no backer.
4:32 pm
they had no -- they had no money of their own except what they earned with their bicycle shop and yet they did it. they paid for it all themselves. they did it all alone and it's phenomenal that they just wouldn't give up. >> history describes the wright brothers as bicycle makers but really the wright brothers were struggling for cash to support their mission. flying was deemed an impossible dream and the wrights worried about being taken seriously. wilbur wrote i'm an enthusiast but not a crank but i have some thoughts on the proper construction of a flying machine. that idea because somebody said the other day in the review of your book people complain about the trouble of flying. imagine you're sitting in a chair in the sky because of these guys. >> and no seat belt when they went up. we fly at 35,000, 40,000 feet. we don't think of anything at it. 70 million people flew in and
4:33 pm
out of one airport here, o'hare apartment, 70 million and nobody thinks about it. how did they do it and who did it? most people don't know anything about them. when i started out i didn't know much about them. >> who would have invented this if they hadn't? >> most likely somebody in france france, very avid aviation pioneers but they were way behind the wright brothers as they themselves said once they saw wilbur fly in france but they were -- they were all wealthy people dabbling in this kind of sport, and here these people were with no money and no connections, but they -- they were convinced they could do it and they were also living in a time when all kinds of inventions were happening almost
4:34 pm
every day. as you said the light bulb the telephone. >> kodak. >> the cash register the mousetrap are all being invented at that time, and it was kind of protoan renaissance. dayton ohio where they grew up more patents issued to people in dayton ohio than any other city in the country on a per capita basis than at any other time. >> you'll always have the classics up there like john adams, harry truman truman all by this guy, david mccullough and this will join your list. everybody will want to have this book in their library for their kids, their grandkids and their own reading after supper. "the wright brothers," how did you miss this and be an american? what a bok. up next the right wing clown car keeps chugging along. ben carson he's a doctor neurosurgeon, has doubled down on his charge that the president of the united states is a
4:35 pm
psychopath, a psychoo in the white house. you never know. you're watching "hardball," the place for politics. listen up... i'm reworking the menu. veggies you're cool... mayo, corn dogs... you are so out of here! ahh... the complete balanced nutrition of great tasting ensure. with nine grams of protein... and 26 vitamins and minerals. and now with... ...twice as much vitamin d ...which up to 90% of people don't get enough of. ohhhhhhh. the sunshine vitamin! ensure now has 2x more vitamin d to support strong bones. ensure. take life in.
4:36 pm
♪ ♪ the beautiful sound of customers making the most of their united flight. power, wi-fi and streaming entertainment. that's... seize the journey friendly.
4:37 pm
4:38 pm
i'm melissa rehberger. search is under way in nepal for a missing u.s. marine helicopter. the copter was helping with relief operations. the madison, wisconsin police officer who shot an unarmed teen in march will not face charges in the death of tony robinson jr. and secretary of state john kerry and russian president vladimir putin met today in sochi to discuss the unrest in ukraine and a civil war in syria. back to "hardball." maas welcome back to "hardball." yesterday, former florida governor jeb bush dropped a political bombshell on fox news saying knowing what we now know he still would have invaded iraq. here we go. >> knowing what we know now
4:39 pm
would you have authorized the invasion? >> i would have and so would have hillary clinton just to remind everybody and so would almost everybody that was confronted with the intelligence that they got. >> early this evening jeb took to sean hannity's radio show to clarify his comments. >> i interpreted the question wrong, i guess. i was talking about given what people knew then would you have done it rather than knowing what we know now, and -- and knowing what we know now, you know clearly there were mistakes as it related to faulty intelligence in the lead up to f focus on security. my brother has admitted this and we have to learn from that. in the last few years of my brother's presidency the surge was quite effective to bring stability and security to iraq. >> so in other words, if in 20/20 hindsight you would make a different decision. i don't know what that decision would have been. that's a hypothetical but the simple fact is mistakes were made.
4:40 pm
>> you always know when a politician is in deep trouble when they turn to a passive voice. jonathan cape hart who never speaks in that voice and opinion writer for "washington post" april ryan and american networks and speech writer for joe biden. i think he's in the briar patch. he's walked into a situation either way he goes his brother has said no matter what the information was i would have gone into that war, still glad i did it. he said i don't know what we would have done if we haven't didn't have the wmd. >> i think in the original clip he misinterpreted the question. >> what did he think he said? >> maybe they thought he would be so on message he wasn't really listening to the question. >> knowing what you know now. >> absolutely i would do it
4:41 pm
again. >> let me try it on. >> knowing -- knowing what you know now would you still have written letters to santa claus? >> for all the kids watching you better set it clear for all the kids watching. >> i think the interview was very clear. >> i think he went to the first reaction, his true self. >> i went with his brother. >> he has to distance himself from his brother and that's one of the mean reasons that the gop is so angry with him, why they didn't talk about george w. bush at the republican convention because of that. can you say wmd, where is it? >> well how about nuclear? actually his brother couldn't say nuclear? >> jeb bush keeps talking about how there's no daylight between he and his brother. said that on iraq and said his brother is the closest adviser on the middle east. >> on israel. >> on israel. he's running closer to his brother who had one of the worst presidencies of all time. on the other hand, on the democratic side you see hillary running a little bit away from
4:42 pm
bill clinton which she should who is one of the most successful presidents of all time. >> very hawkish in the middle east, very hawkish and he's quite willing to play that game. i've got to go to the clown car. last week dr., catch that open dr. ben carson reiterated his belief that the executive branch can simply ignore decisions made by the supreme court, just ignore it and doubling down on calling president obama a psychopath. his comments originally appeared in an april profile piece in "gq" magazine when he was commenting on the president's appearance. like most psychopaths, carson grumbled, they all look great. i didn't know all psychopaths looked great and yesterday he repeated the remark on concord news radio people would agree with him calling president obama a psychopath if they just knew what one was. here he is. >> do you think that rhetoric particularly in an era where here in new hampshire a lot of
4:43 pm
voters are looking for that post-partisan president? do you think that's hopeful? >> probably not and that was an off-the-record comment that was put on the record and i say looks like he reminds you of one and if anybody knows what a psychopath is they would agree. >> so, in other words, he wasn't doing it to knock the president because it was off the record. he just honestly thought that. >> right. >> by the way, he's tooking about how a man is turned out. it's "gq "with the magazine and said that the guy is well turned down and looks good. he's talking to the "gq" reader. >> i don't know what reader he's talking to. i get "gq" and he's not talking with me. ben carson with every utterance puts more distance between himself. >> and who he is. >> and the actual white house. >> everything he says makes it more and more clear to any sane thinking person that he should be nowhere near the oval office. >> he's never get together white house. >> true true.
4:44 pm
>> where's he going? >> to raise more money. >> on fox. >> he's a very successful doctor. >> retired doctor. let's say retired. let me say this to you. >> jennifer rubin writes a conservative item on the op-ed pitch. rich lowry hit the nail on the head calling the pandering to a vocal minority. name and shame, lest the gop be seen as the haven for the unhinged, it's only when they are repeatedly and consistently called out that they will start fanning the flames of paranoia and ignorance. >> dr. ben carson retired dr. ben carson into shock and awe stuff. >> why would you a neurosurgeon pick out the world psycho? >> because he deals with the brain. let me tell you what a psychopath is, a person suffering from chronic mental disorder and abhorrent or violent social behavior. i haven't notice that had covering president obama.
4:45 pm
>> is obama knifing people in showers like the "psycho" movie? anyway, roundtable -- he said, it i didn't. staying up with us. up next the right wing media is going after michelle obama's comments at tuskegee the daily difficulty people of color face in this country. i want to hear the reaction of this crowd here. the place for politics coming back. ing wellness to keep away illness... and believing that a single life can be made better by millions of others. healthier takes somebody who can power modern health care... by connecting every single part of it. for as the world keeps on searching for healthier... we're here to make healthier happen. optum. healthier is here.
4:46 pm
i've smoked a lot and quit a lot but ended up nowhere. now i use this. the nicoderm cq patch, with unique extended release technology helps prevent the urge to smoke all day. i want this time to be my last time. that's why i choose nicoderm cq. why do we do it? why do we spend every waking moment, thinking about people? why are we so committed to keeping you connected? why combine performance with a conscience? why innovate for a future without accidents? why do any of it? why do all of it? because if it matters to you it's everything to us. the xc60 crossover. from volvo. lease the well equiped volvo xc60 today. visit your local volvo showroom for details. so how should hillary clinton use bill clinton on the campaign trail for president?
4:47 pm
"the washington post" is the latest to tackle that question. one nugget of their story this week grabbed me. "the post" reports the former president was watching news coverage last month when he saw that grainy security camera footage of hillary clinton and huma abedin ordering food at chipotle. according to "the post" bill turned to his aides and wondered why are she and huma doing? are they robbing that place? we'll be right back.
4:48 pm
♪ ♪ ♪ (under loud music) this is the place. ♪ ♪ ♪ their beard salve is made from ♪ ♪ ♪ sustainable tea tree oil and kale... you, my friend, recognize when a trend has reached critical mass. yes, when others focus on one thing you see what's coming next. you see opportunity. that's what a type e* does. and so it begins. with e*trade's investing insights center, you can spot trends before they become trendy.
4:49 pm
e*trade. opportunity is everywhere. before earning enough cash back from bank of america to buy a new gym bag. before earning 1% cash back everywhere, every time and 2% back at the grocery store. even before he got 3% back on gas. kenny used his bankamericard cash rewards credit card to join the wednesday night league. because he loves to play hoops. not jump through them. that's the excitement of rewarding connections. apply online or at a bank of america near you. we're back with the roundtable, jonathan april and matthew. on saturday first lady michelle obama gave the commencement
4:50 pm
address at tuskegee university. she spoke candidly about the challenges african-americans often face in this country. here's what she said, a bit sacrificed to make it to this day. my husband and i know how frustrating that experience can be. we both felt the sting of those daily slights throughout our entire lives. the if folks who cross the street in fear of their safety, the clerks who kept a close eye on us in all those department stores, the people at formal events who assumed we were the help, and those who have questioned our intelligence, our honesty, even our love of this country. >> wow. april just put on a show here. they're alleging her speech was too racially charged. here it is. >> this is the first lady of the united states who has reached the pinnacle of success in our country. her husband has.
4:51 pm
and this was a litany of victimization which is what we want young african graduates of a terrific university to take away with. >> she is playing the race card. of she's doubling down on it. it is continuing to rile up people who ought to have different approach. it's sad folks, is what it is. >> they've done more damage to race relations in this country since george wallace. there, i said it and i mean it. >> there's a happy guy. this comes amid news that the obama presidential library will be built in chicago's south side, many hope will provide an economic boost to the old neighborhood. let me ask you about this. you have to start, april, here. the angry black woman. first of all -- >> i'm not an angry black woman. >> i know, and that's the topic of this -- >> i'm not either. >> neither am i. i'm sparticus. what did you think of her can
4:52 pm
candor? she's obviously changing a more demure approach to her office to now speaking her mind more. >> okay fourth quarter. it's almost over but she's very candid and she spoke the truth. when you see african-americans, and i hate to say this but this is proven, when you see us walk in the door, jonathan, the first thing you will see is our color, not the gender, not anything else and then subconsciously oh, that's a black person, oh, yeah and then it's a woman. there are issues in this country country -- >> i'm not sure that's true. >> a large portion of this country when you see me walk in the door you'll see a black person before you see black woman and that's the unfortunate thing. >> maybe i'm more discerning. >> maybe you are. here you go. many of the things mrs. obama said when he she talked about the questioned patriotism i'll never forget going to selma and seeing african-americans in that blighted community as we went to selma on the 50th anniversary with the first black president of the united states seeing the
4:53 pm
african-americans on the side just want to go get a glimpse of the presidency. something they've never seen before. i also saw -- one thing i did, i was shocked and happy to see it an african-american woman hold up an umbrella with the stars and stripes. and i said that's patriotism. so many people question the patriotism of african-americans because we say that there are problems in this country. >> april, you're at the white house. i wanted reporting on this. i looked at the numbers again. her numbers says for personal approval are up near 70%. there's no macro number that suggests she is being dised, if you will, as first lady because of her color. do you think she has been? i think she's been respected. >> they talk about the size of her hips. >> who does that? >> members of congress. >> yes. >> tell me more. >> there's a member of congress who talked about the size -- the physicality of the first lady. >> and she's very fit. >> there have been people republican party officials around the country who have been passing around racist e-mails
4:54 pm
andist cartoons depicting the president and the first lady in very racist ways. these are two people -- >> what percentage of the country has given no breaks shut the door because of their race? 20%? 10%? >> i'm not going to put a percentage on it. >> i'd love to know. >> but people are listening to that small minority. there are a lot of well-meaning people in this country. there is that group that likes to cause problems. >> i'll tell you one thing, i'll defend the center right. i think the center right, besides the democratic party, that's been loyal to her and african-americans and liberals if you will. i think a sizable center right that has been respected and regarded her well-being the way she's raised their kids. you always hear from the horses asses . >> you also heard her talk about the first picture of the character of her and her husband. >> on the cover of the new yorker. >> she is wearing a bush and an ak-47. >> she talks about in the speech how after rirican-americans have to work twice as hard to get to the same place. >> it's true. >> what happens when they do and they can't get to that place?
4:55 pm
>> hey, this conversation should be here and it is here. thank you, jonathan. you always teach me. april, you always excite me. when we return let me finish. i shouldn't have said breyer patch. >> you should not have. >> i grew up in a different era. we'll be right back to talk about the president's big defeat today and it was a knockout. you're watching "hardball",," the place for politics. that are powered by the moon. ♪ ♪ she can print amazing things right from her computer. [ whirring ] [ train whistle blows ] she makes trains that are friends with trees. ♪ ♪ my mom works at ge. ♪ ♪ doers. they don't worry if something's possible. they just do it. at sears optical, we're committed to bringing them eyewear that works as hard as they do. right now, save up to $200 on eyeglasses. quality eyewear for doers. sears optical
4:56 pm
♪ we will rock you anthem ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ call 1-800-royal caribbean or your travel agent today
4:57 pm
unbelievable! toenail fungus? seriously? smash it with jublia! jublia is a prescription medicine proven to treat toenail fungus. use jublia as instructed by your doctor. look at the footwork! most common side effects include ingrown toenail, application site redness, itching, swelling burning or stinging, blisters, and pain. smash it! make the call and ask your doctor if jublia is right for you. new larger size now available.
4:58 pm
let me finish tonight with the president's big defeat
4:59 pm
today. i suppose we should have seen it coming. for weeks the labor unions have been making it hard to argue the case america has been watching its traditional manufacturing base head for the nearest cheap labor horizon. except for the president's calm and general assurances, very few voices raised with anywhere near the passion from the pro-trade side t. seems the democratic senators see more value in avoiding the hostility of the labor unions swlgs partas well as partisan pressure. i'm referring to those who represent the midwestern and northern states knowns a the rust belt from buffalo to osh gosh. too many factories closed with a sign saying going to mexico or god knows where else leaving a lot of unemployed men and women in the dust. so tomorrow i figure the battle resumes especially in the democratic party where leaders and troops and allies need to decide where the party wishes to stand and be seen standing in the 21st century, a party of
5:00 pm
trade or a party opposed to it. in the aftermath after mighty defeat for trade and a mighty victory for its enemies, i don't expect many minds have changed. and that's "hardball" for now. thanks for being with us. "all in with chris hayes" starts right now. tonight on "all in" -- >> when you talk to he elizabeth, this is based on this dispute settlement i described. >> open warfare on the left. >> i believe this is the fight worth having. >> tonight senator brown on the trade fight the president just lost within his own party. >> i think the president has made this more personal than he needed to. >> then the massive pushback on the sea mour theirhirsch bin laden report continues. then why marilyn mosby's appearance at a prince concert was certainly not a conflict of interest. and why a major new poll on religion in america will not please billow

98 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on