Skip to main content

tv   Hardball With Chris Matthews  MSNBC  May 15, 2015 4:00pm-5:01pm PDT

4:00 pm
remember if we just embrace ourselves and be authentic you can start as a sharecropper's child and end as a kindg that the world respects. that's what b.b. king did. i'm al sharpton. hardball starts right now. >> crime and punishment. let's play "hardball." good evening i'm chris matthews in washington. tonight we have a special guest on the program. a saga that offered a slice of american life. mad men, the final episode of which begins this sunday night. we begin with the culmination of a real life horror the condemnation of the boston bomber to death. a jury sentenced dzhokhar
4:01 pm
tsarnaev to death. he was found guilty for 30 counts in his role in the bombings. tsarnaev showed no remorse for his actions. the bombings killed three people. those in the courtroom described tsarnaev's reaction when the jury read the reaction as stone faced. the assistant metro editor and former attorney. what took most of the 15 hours of deliberation? >> i think for the most part the real issue is did tsarnaev was his intent to really maim and inflict maximum damage? and the jury concluded that. the jury felt he was responsible for the deaths of martin richard
4:02 pm
and lindsay. there was tremendous testimony from the prosecution during the death penalty phase and during the regular trial. the agony of the victim's families autopsy photos overwhelming evidence that dzhokhar tsarnaev planned and helped execute the people involved in this terror bombing along with his brother. >> to me this was the federal intent, what the lawmakers mainly intended that there be a capital case here that it would involve capital punishment in this kind of situation. >> this is exactly the kind of case that the federal death penalty was intended for in the sense that it was a weapon of mass destruction but it had so many other very, very heartbreaking anger inspiring elements. the sheer magnitude, the detailed cold-blooded premeditation and the utter lack of remorse.
4:03 pm
the jury decided unanimously beyond a reasonable doubt that there was no remorse. so, all that could be said about family about his youth about lack of prior complications, when something this horrible happens by somebody who reflects no kpungs no remorse that's a death penalty case. >> what about the character witness saying that he was truly sorry for what he had done? was that dismissed of the good intentions of somebody that is against the death penalty? >> yeah i think if jury didn't buy it. there was no remorse demonstrated in court. the nurses, the nun's testimony was the only evidence that he actually showed any feeling. he never cried during the trial during testimony showed absolutely no emotion. martin richard's dad was describing how his son was blown up. it was testimony that tsarnaev stood there for a number of
4:04 pm
minutes waiting to inflict the maximum amount of damage. there were tears from the jurors, nothing from tsarnaev in court. the only time he showed any emotion is with his aunt on the stand and she started crying about his upbringing. i think the jury didn't buy it. they also didn't buy that tsarnaev was enslaved by his brother, that he was manipulated. they felt he was a participant in this terrorist act. >> here is how a few survivors reacted to the news. my mother and i think that now he can go away and we will be able to move on. justice. in our own words an eye for an eye. another wrote my heart is with the entire survivor community. i am thrilled with the verdict. and another who had her left(ít leg amputated, she wrote, completely numb and waiting anxiously for the day that this is really
4:05 pm
over. anyway, let me go back for a thought. how long is this appeal process likely to go? >> many times they take years and years but i don't think this one will. the evidence of guilty was so overwhelming. the defense lawyer didn't even seriously contest it. in so many findings in the death penalty verdict that i think we're looking at three to five years. but this is not going be a double digit forever in the appeals court and trial court and back to the supreme court kind of case in my opinion. >> thank you so much. great reporting there, great covering. and thank you so much for your expertise expertise. this is something i have been thrilled to show you about. we will show you the man behind this cultural phenomenon. ♪ do you remember ♪ ♪ the laughter and the tears ♪ ♪ the shadows of missed yester
4:06 pm
years ♪ ♪ the good times and the bad you see ♪ ♪ and all the others in between ♪ ♪ remember ♪ ♪ do you remember ♪ >> say what you will, it's got to me. matthew knows how it all ends because he wrote it. coming to you next live. plus jeb bush and the no good horrible very bad week. he is being slammed for a messy response about his brother's war in iraq. and tonight we have the college student whose confrontation has gone viral. and hillary clinton followed a cardinal rule in politics. don't commit to a decision before you have to. she's doing that but that isn't pleasing everyone. watch why david is calling for clinton to put away the waffle iron and let me finish with the strong pull of a particular television program. i will be right back. why are we so committed to keeping you connected?
4:07 pm
why combine performance with a conscience? why innovate for a future without accidents? why do any of it? why do all of it? because if it matters to you it's everything to us. the xc60 crossover. from volvo. lease the well equiped volvo xc60 today. visit your local volvo showroom for details. doers. they don't worry if something's possible. they just do it. at sears optical, we're committed to bringing them eyewear that works as hard as they do. right now, save up to $200 on eyeglasses. quality eyewear for doers. sears optical
4:08 pm
>> the young mid shipman was laid to rest today after being killed in the amtrak crash. he was one of eight passengers who were killed in the devastating train derailment. the ntsb is continuing to investigate. he was on leave from the naval academy to his family's home in new york when the train derailed. we will be right back. lincoln mkc. we also want clever thinking in a tight spot. anyone offer hands-free in and out park assist? lincoln mkc. bra-vo. the lincoln luxury uncovered event is on. lease the mkc for $329 a month. and for a limited time competitive owners and lessees get one-thousand dollars bonus cash. meet the world's newest energy superpower. surprised? in fact, america is now the world's number one
4:09 pm
natural gas producer... and we could soon become number one in oil. because hydraulic fracturing technology is safely recovering lots more oil and natural gas. supporting millions of new jobs. billions in tax revenue... and a new century of american energy security. the new energy superpower? it's red, white and blue. log on to learn more.
4:10 pm
ressive. welcome back to "hardball". the final episode of "madmen" airs sunday. when it began richard nixon was challenging john f. kennedy. the characters have gone through martin luther king's i have a dream speech jfk, the vietnam war and the moon landing.
4:11 pm
the writer and executive producer joins me now. you have carried us through the time i was in high school. you brought it all back. let's take a look at a clip here. one of the most powerful scenes from this season where joan complains about a colleague who has been making a pass at her, a gross pass. let's watch. >> other people say you're the kind of gal who doesn't take no for an answer. but no. you're not telling me how to run my business. well find a way to get along or you can expect a letter from our lawyer. >> i wonder how many women around here would like to speak to a lawyer. i think the equal employment opportunity commission has one. >> women love it here. you want to threaten us, you will be all alone. >> no. i think the second i file a
4:12 pm
complaint, i will have the aclu in my office and betty in the lobby with half the women who marched down fifth avenue. >> this is an amazing scene because it reminds me of cust custer's last stand. right now the old guys, the old fares if you will, are still running the show and the women haven't gotten their place yet at all. >> no no they haven't. and i don't know. from what i can tell of the reaction to the episode i think it kind of hit a nerve that a lot of this hasn't changed and the interesting part about that scene is she never really mentions exactly what is going on but goes in as a business equal and he holds all the cards. >> and the guy was saying let's go spend the weekend together down south and wanted to have sex with her and she wouldn't say that. one character who left was the art director.
4:13 pm
let's watch this very tricky business about gay guy not quite coming out but being exposed. >> he was drunk. and he cornered me in the editing room. >> cornered you? >> yes. and i backed him off. i told him i was married and he was embarrassed and he left. >> you must have been really shocked. >> i was. believe me. >> but nothing happened. because nothing could have happened because you're married. >> tom, i swear on my mother's life. >> you sure you want to do that? >> isn't that something? you thought for a while on the show that he would be sympathetic to the guy's orientation but there he seems to be rock solid suspicion. he assumes the guy is promiscuous. >> he is tolerant of a lot of
4:14 pm
things and would never see himself as a racist or a sexist and certainly tries to take people as individuals but i think in this moment, all the stereo types come down the way they are and he assumes he is promisecuous and assumes that's one of the traits of being gay. >> i have been watching reruns of this surging period of more and more reruns but i don't know if i picked him as gay but when you look in retrospect you see how he was pretended to be a macho guy when he sees a girl and overreacting to women. let's watch another scene from this season, the protagonist don draper and his soon to be ex-wife. >> you're going to write me a check? >> i want you to have the life you deserve.
4:15 pm
>> are you kidding me? >> no. >> a million dollars. why are you doing this to me? it's not funny. >> i don't want to fight any more. >> i know it's not real. nothing about you is. >> it is real. please take it. >> well can you tell us, is don draper a good guy? he certainly looks like a good guy there. a guy with a conscious and a heart who wants to set things right with his ex-wife. >> i think that he's a guy with a guilty conscious for sure. a million dollars is a definitely a unilaterally large reaction to whatever he's done. but i think one of the great things about doing this show is we have been able to talk about human beings as they are, you know, people ask me how i feel about different characters and so forth. i don't really judge them. it's part of being a writer and myself on the writing team we get inside their head and we try
4:16 pm
to give everybody a reason for why they do what they do. i think don deserves some credit for trying to be better and for trying to do the right thing but a lot of times his impulses get the best of him. and part of the story of this last 14 episodes starting with him working his way up in his own company has been him trying to get, you know take stock of things. and by the time we start this chunk that we're in right now, which is the last seven episodes, you see that he is alone but sort of on top of the world. he is kind of that bachelor character that we always hoped he would be after he got divorced. that's why we started with the song, "is that all there is". >> when he comes in with his wing tip shoes coat buttons and tie on i have a feeling he's coming back to the one part of his life that holds together. including coming to work is a
4:17 pm
good thing in the morning. i think it's great. those of us lucky enough to love our jobs. his coming to work seems like coming to home base. what's that about? >> you have a workplace story here and i definitely think, i agree with freud that our two goals are to love and work. we have shown over and over in the show during the kennedy assassination that when things are desperate, don goes back to work. when kennedy was shot, we didn't have a two-week mourning period and have the body laying in state. they had one day and they brought everybody back to work on tuesday. i thought that was so strange and then i thought no that's who we are. those of us who are happy enough to have jobs and to love our jobs but for don that's an expression of control, of his imagination, and i think it's the thing he aspired to his
4:18 pm
whole life and he gets to live there. we have shown that the people there he can be closer to, too. >> you and tom wolfe are fascinating. even if you're jewish in the police department, you have the talk a certain way. everybody begins the women even. the young guy and creative writer, everybody begins to try to act like don draper. tell us about that. why we all get into that uniform of not wasp, but certainly manhattan professional. >> i think it's the white power leap and without being -- it's not a political statement it's an observation that don, you know, like a lot of the successful men in particular of the 20th century yearn to be a white anglo saxon protestant. a lot came from poverty, hid
4:19 pm
their backgrounds and put on that uniform. oi loved that in a way there is a sort of uniform to it but in a way it's sort of limited. you can never shake off who you are. people spent their life trying to hide where they came from. >> yeah. did you watch -- how many times did you watch north by northwest to get your head in this. i am convinced that the carry grant character was the beginning of this series. your thought about that? did you see the movie? >> oh i have seen the movie plenty. i was much more influenced by the apartment which it is obviously an amazing movie the same year.
4:20 pm
i don't know how that all fits in your brain. you can sit down and tell me your life story and i might walk away saying that it's mine. that's part of being a writer. >> i love what you have created here. i will pay tribute to you at the end of the show tonight. >> chris, i have to thank you because i actually remember very clearly that you were one of the first people at least in the public eye to watch the show and to talk about it. and it was a surreal moment that exceeded all of my expectations. you said he sounds like one of those guys on mad men and i thought oh my god, chris matthews watches the show. >> we meet here on monday morning and we tell our bosses the first meet something to talk about "mad men." we are going to miss those people terribly. thank you matthew weiner. up next the 19-year-old college student who took on jeb bush in
4:21 pm
that viral video. she has gone from college activist to the front page of the washington post. this is next on hardball. there's nothing more romantic than a spontaneous moment. so why pause to take a pill? and why stop what you're doing to find a bathroom? with cialis for daily use, you don't have to plan around either. it's the only daily tablet approved to treat erectile dysfunction so you can be ready anytime the moment is right. plus cialis treats the frustrating urinary symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently, day or night.
4:22 pm
tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medicines, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, get medical help right away for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision or any symptoms of an allergic reaction stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. why pause the moment? ask your doctor about cialis for daily use. for a free 30-tablet trial go to cialis.com i am totally blind. and sometimes i struggle to sleep at night, and stay awake during the day. this is called non-24. learn more by calling 844-824-2424. or visit your24info.com.
4:23 pm
before earning enough cash back from bank of america to buy a new gym bag. before earning 1% cash back everywhere, every time and 2% back at the grocery store. even before he got 3% back on gas. kenny used his bankamericard cash rewards credit card to join the wednesday night league. because he loves to play hoops. not jump through them. that's the excitement of rewarding connections. apply online or at a bank of america near you. you could sit at your computer and read all about zero-turn mowers. click. scroll. tweet. or you could just sit on a john deere z435 eztrak and feel its power. you'll know it'll get the job done fast. when it's time to pick a mower, you've got to get on one. visit your local john deere dealer for a test drive today. sign up to take your turn on an eztrak zero-turn mower at your john
4:24 pm
deere dealer and save 100 dollars on your purchase. welcome back to "hardball." a 19-year-old college student from nevada has set off a small earthquake for the republican party's top contender for the white house. earlier this week jeb bush was confronted by a student at the university of nevada in reno over his brother's war in iraq and their interaction has now gone viral. here is the confrontation.
4:25 pm
>> a student at the university of nevada reno. i have a sense that you know more about the history of iraq engagement than the former governor of florida. you talked about something that i want you to ek pand on your knowledge of depathification. he is the guy that dumped the entire iraqi army into the arms of isis and it seemed like jeb
4:26 pm
didn't know what you were talking about. >> yeah. i would have to have more of a dialogue with him to really be sure if that is an accurate assessment. i don't want to be too disparaging. my problem was that throughout his speech he was placing the blame of the creation of isis on president obama and that's what i wanted to address is the influence of debathification and the role that the bush administration played in the creation of isis. if we are going blame a president i am pretty sure that it should not be obama. >> what's your sense, is hillary clinton, the recent secretary of state, do you think she's a dove or a hawk when it comes to issues in the middle east? >> i'm not quite sure how i feel about hillary clinton as the democratic front runner quite yet. i think that there are definitely points to criticize
4:27 pm
in her history as well as pretty much everybody who is running for president at this point. so i think that it's important that we have the opportunity to speak to any individual who is running for president, hillary clinton included that we ask these questions and we try to correct -- >> let me try it again. if you asked her do you regret having supported to iraq war what would her answer be? >> i am sure her answer would be yes. i think that is pretty much everybody's answer at this point. i'm not sure why it wasn't an easier answer for jeb bush. >> i have a theory. my theory is the wmd had nothing to do with that war. it was a sales piece. the phrase was to conflate a lot of things. to suggest nuclear without having to prove it and made it easier to make the threshold argument that they had a weapon. there was no intelligence they had a weapon. never was. it was completely made up by
4:28 pm
cheney and the rest of neocons. they used that phrase to get us in there. that's why don't let people off the hook that say i got bad intel. no you didn't. you wanted to go to war and you supported the war because it was the easiest political position to take at the time whether you're a democrat or republican. you're a gutsy lady. thank you for coming on "hardball." >> have a great day. >> thank you. you, too. jeb's confrontation with ivy wasn't the only hiccup on the campaign trail. he was dogged all week long about his evolving answers over whether or not he would have invaded iraq knowing what we now know. let's watch him. >> knowing what we know now would you have authorized the invasion? >> i would have. >> in other words in 2020, hindsight you would make a different decision. >> yeah. i don't know what that decision would have been. that's a hypothetical, but
4:29 pm
mistakes were made. >> i respect the question but if we're going get back into hypotheticals, i think it does a disservice to a lot of people. >> i would not have engaged and would not have gone into iraq. >> and this morning on the today show carl rove declined to back jeb's 2016 campaign. here he is doing the non-thing. >> people probably assume you will be supporting jeb bush in the election given your relationship with his brother but are you planning to endorse him? >> well no i'm not planning to endorse anybody. i have a long friendship with the family and a long friendship with jeb but i'm sitting on the sidelines watching and waiting. >> jean, yougene, you have an opinion? >> here is a solid opinion. really bad week for jeb bush. not a good week. when you talk about his evolving
4:30 pm
view on the iraq war, his evolving view of that history, how could this evolution take place? how could he not have had the talking points memorized practiced in front of a mirror. how could he not have anticipated that this would be the first question out of the box and who is responsible for letting him go out there without an answer? without a solid answer that would stand up? >> let me be more primitive. what is his attitude about the war in iraq. forget the talking points what does he personally think? i thought giving him the benefit of the doubt that he was sitting there saying what an idiot my brother's a fool. he's listening to the neocons that talked him into the war. dad would have never done this. >> apparently that's wrong. his final evolved position is well he would not have gone into iraq knowing then what he knows now. however, he says the world is
4:31 pm
significantly safer now that his brother did go into iraq, therefore, how does that make sense? so was it some sort of lucky accident that george w. bush went? >> why has he packed his team with so many people that brought us to iraq? i go back to a more basic argument. i never believed the wmd argument. i never believed that was their moment. >> and an interesting point about the work wmd or the phrase. it's supposed to conflate nuclear, biological, nuclear, anthrax, whatever. without specifying there is like a bomb or a weapon. the ability to develop bad stuff
4:32 pm
basically. >> and cheney saying they have got the weapon system. they have got it. when are they going to admit they lied? when are they going to admit they lied? that he didn't have the facts? >> never. >> and when will they admit why they went in? i think it was the thee olg. that somehow we broke apart the rejectionist states, then the whole middle east would recon figure itself into a favorable environment. >> and we would implant this into the democracy at the heart of the middle east and it was going to spread goodness and light. >> i think a reasonable question is would we be better off with saddam there than the crap we have got looking at us now? i think it's still, i begin to get a tad of nostalgia. thank you. up next, while jeb bush finds himself in his own party over remarks about the iraq war
4:33 pm
hillary clinton sticking to the low key strategy and it appears to be working. keep the powder dry. you're watching "hardball." the beautiful sound of customers making the most of their united flight. power, wi-fi and streaming entertainment. that's... seize the journey friendly. ♪ ♪ [ girl ] my mom, she makes underwater fans that are powered by the moon.
4:34 pm
♪ ♪ she can print amazing things right from her computer. [ whirring ] [ train whistle blows ] she makes trains that are friends with trees. ♪ ♪ my mom works at ge. ♪ ♪ i've smoked a lot and quit a lot but ended up nowhere. now i use this. the nicoderm cq patch, with unique extended release technology helps prevent the urge to smoke all day. i want this time to be my last time. that's why i choose nicoderm cq.
4:35 pm
4:36 pm
>> breaking news, the ntsb says an assistant conductor on the train that derailed thinks she heard the engineer say an object struck the train before the accident. the fbi is now being called back to look at damage to a windshield to see if the train was in fact hit prior to the derailment. meanwhile investigators who spoke with the engineer say he did not report feeling tired or sick that night. he insists he does not remember the crash. back to "hardball."
4:37 pm
>> don't tell them anything but what they want to hear? >> even it's a lie? >> absence of yes times time equals no. you say thank you for your advice. all options are open to me. i plan to decide in the next 48 hours. >> what happens in 48 hours? >> you do whatever you like or delay again but you never ever say no because anything could happen. >> i love that advice. we're back to "hardball." that was an old anthem in politics, don't commit to a decision before you have to. that appears to have worked brilliantly for hillary clinton who has avoided taking a position on the president's trade agenda and has remained out of the ugly public spot. she is also not taking a
4:38 pm
position on the talks. that strategy seems to be working. in his column today, david is the wet blanket and he criticized hillary for staying out of the political fray. she has been a study, a tremor checking the political winds. she is a hollow candidate. she should be taking credit for the good provisions in the tpp, not hedging her bets. she may be ready to run, but is she ready to lead? maybe the clinton campaign is making the smart move by not saying. we are joined by ryan grim of the post. and msnbc expert david -- what was that thing about police expert? thank you. let's break it down. politics wise.
4:39 pm
>> she may not have a competitive election for a year and a half. she goes through the primaries. so i think anything that she does now won't have any impact. >> nobody is going remember it. >> no. i think there is no political reason for her to engage day in and day out with whatever is in the news cycle. i wouldn't mind hearing what she had to say but strictly as a political matter there is no reason to do this. she is not losing a single vote. >> concerns about the sovereignty issue but she is keeping her powder dry. >> the same way that the iraq war was hanging over jeb bush's head, you have the trade agreement hanging over hillary clinton's head because of her husband and the trade deal that he enacted. they are being smart. they don't want to have a fumble the way that jeb bush did. they know that voters simply are
4:40 pm
not paying that much attention to this. i don't know many americans sitting at home. >> doesn't she want to be a profile and just stick her neck out? >> look. >> you're going to the right. >> she feels plenty of time to articulate where she substantiates in the issues. >> is she smart to stay quiet? lead from behind? >> it depends on what she wants. if she wants to back into the white house, she can do it like this like in 1991, 92 the clintons decided where are we going to be in order to be president. she would actually be smart to start building. >> now that i have got you out on a limb, should she go left or
4:41 pm
center left. >> depends on what she wants. >> what is she? >> i don't know. >> in some ways she has shown instincts in both drixs. the right accused her of being wide eyed radical lesbian feminist and in some issues she pushed back. but then again you know, she at times has been very close to wall street. so she goes both ways and i think she does not have to make the decision until the general election. >> i don't think that lesbian is a policy. >> here is what is posted after fitting for the first time.
4:42 pm
meeting the brooklynites. >> how are you all? >> brooklyn usa, how can you beat that? hi. how are you? nice to see you. >> nice to meet you. >> hi kay. >> we love you. >> i tell everybody in my car to vote for hillary clinton. >> well you're my kind of man. >> i support you all the time. >> thank you. >> enjoy this beautiful day. >> oh god what do you make of that? >> you know, it's pretty corny and i don't think it's going make a big impact one way or the other but maybe she will say hey, want to talk about the tpp? >> i don't know what to make of that. >> her campaign has made an effort to use social media. >> but that? what was the message? >> i have no idea. >> i bet she wished jeb had done
4:43 pm
that this week. >> i think where her campaign has been smart is they have cherry picked the issues she could get out ahead of. she has been talking about criminal justice reform. they have picked the issues where same sex marriage along with the court decision. they have come out ahead of those issues and she has articulated the position. on trade the jury is still out. >> it was particularly tough for her because it's a live issue. >> not looking that bad about it. >> if she didn't, it would cause a lot of problems between her and the obama camp. >> i think she -- well, it's just mybíñ politics. i'm center left but most things left on some center on some right on very few. but she is risking looking like
4:44 pm
eliz beth ii. and nobody is elected eliz beth a second time. >> i think a hard left, people are paying attention to politics every day of their lives. >> i think that's right too. i think she has a lot of lee way to go. >> she needs it. i think when the election big, i would like to see her 54, 55% because i want her to rule the country. she has got to bring the house in. >> that's not going to happen. >> somebody's got to do it. are we going to be divided again? >> so gerrymandered so rigged. >> i think we're looking down the barrel of another divided government. >> the round table is staying with us. up next it's graduation season. we have got some highlights of this year's commencement addresses. i was lucky enough to give last year's commencement address at ohio state. it was quite an honor before a
4:45 pm
crowd of 60,000 people. this is "hardball," a place for politics. >> it's a hardball world and you have got to start thinking hardball. this is humira. this is humira helping to relieve my pain and protect my joints from further damage. this is humira giving me new perspective. doctors have been prescribing humira for ten years. humira works for many adults. it targets and helps to block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to ra symptoms. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers including lymphoma have happened, as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. talk to your doctor and visit humira.com
4:46 pm
this is humira at work
4:47 pm
guys, it's just the two of you. the setting is just right. but here's the thing, about half of men over 40 have some degree of erectile dysfunction.
4:48 pm
well, viagra helps guys with ed get and keep an erection. and you only take it when you need it. ask your doctor if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take viagra if you take nitrates for chest pain; it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. side effects include headache, flushing, upset stomach and abnormal vision. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than four hours. stop taking viagra and call your doctor right away if you experience a sudden decrease or loss in vision or hearing. ask your doctor about viagra. why do we do it? why do we spend every waking moment, thinking about people? why are we so committed to keeping you connected? why combine performance with a conscience? why innovate for a future without accidents? why do any of it? why do all of it? because if it matters to you it's everything to us. the xc60 crossover. from volvo. lease the well equiped volvo xc60 today.
4:49 pm
visit your local volvo showroom for details. i've smoked a lot and quit a lot but ended up nowhere. now i use this. the nicoderm cq patch, with unique extended release technology helps prevent the urge to smoke all day. i want this time to be my last time. that's why i choose nicoderm cq. the pursuit of healthier. it begins from the second we're born. after all, healthier doesn't happen all by itself. it needs to be earned... every day... using wellness to keep away illness... and believing that a single life can be made better by millions of others. healthier takes somebody who can power modern health care... by connecting every single part of it. for as the world keeps on searching for healthier... we're here to make healthier happen. optum. healthier is here.
4:50 pm
when lightning strikes you want to be there right there in the room. you, not everybody's going to say yes to you. just don't ever say no to yourself, ever. last year's commencement ceremony at the ohio state university. the buckeyes! anyway, it's that time of year when politicians and celebrities offer their pearls to have wisdom to graduates. here's president obama last week in south dakota. >> we ask for nothing more than the chance to blaze our own trail, yet each of us is only here here because somebody somewhere, helped us find our path. that's part of what makes america exceptional. we are family and we'll do anything to help each other along the way. >> and potential 2016 gop governor john casekasich. here's john kasich. >> somebody tells me no, they're not going to keep telling me no, because i'm going to bother them to the point where it's a lot
4:51 pm
easier for them to say yes than keep saying no. >> my kind of guy. my theme, too. we're back with the roundtable. ryan sabrina, and david. your thoughts your memories of your graduation speech, when you metriculated. >> i actually wrote down the name of clinton education secretary, richard reilly, from south carolina. i don't remember a single word that he said. >> was that his fault or yours? >> my fault. i think he takes some of it. >> sabrina, your experience? >> i'll preface this by saying that leading up to our commencement, because i'll say i'm grateful there was john mccain barack obama, julia louis-dreyfus. there was a lot of hyper around my commencement, because it was the 150th for the school. we end up with chicago mayor richard daley, at the time, chicago mayor, and it's because one of the northwestern board of trustees members was chairing the chicago olympics committee and a friend of the mayor's.
4:52 pm
so it was clearly very political. and in the end we didn't even get the olympics anyway. and the only headline that came out of the speech was daley tells students to make the world a better place. >> have you been doing that? >> i don't know, am i? >> yes, she has! >> i'm being here. >> some sarcasm. >> i wasn't at my commencement. so i don't even remember who the speaker was. one of my favorite commencements -- >> were you off somewhere causing trouble? >> i was already working. i started working. but one of my favorite speeches it was 2010 at harvard, jimmy tingle, a comedian who went to the john kennedy school was asked to give one of the commencement speeches. it's hysterical because he grew up in cambridge, the son of a taxi cab driver and talks about the time he stole bicycles. >> so you went to harvard? >> no, i didn't. >> you were implying that. >> on that point maybe it
4:53 pm
should be left to the denzel washington. this was at fenneror my daughter's graduation. >> if you want to know the truth, i had to come exactly because i might make a fool of myself. what am i talking about? here it is. i found that nothing in life is worthwhile unless you take risks, nothing. >> that was his theme. just come in there and stand before a live crowd thousands of people at an ivy league school. like eleanor roosevelt said always do what you're afraid to do. >> i think that's right. the question i had, off. . actually push the button like that, other than yours.
4:54 pm
they pretty much got figured where they're headed in life. there are so many kids out there, that are just going, they're still kids. they've always been promoted from grade to grade. everything's automatic until they get to the last year of college, and all of a sudden they've got to be existential. figure out who they are, where they're going in life, and they're the ones you've got to give a couple of cues to. >> well, that sounds like good advice, although i wonder how many really walk away and feel empowered. what do you tell them? >> well at temple years ago, i gave them a little plastic cards with all the rules i gave them on. i said it's not biodegradable it's going to outlive you. i'll be giving the commencement addresses coming up for the graduates up at merrymack college in massachusetts. and at st. mary's college. and later in the month, pierce college in philadelphia. thank you, brian grimm and david corn, my pal. when we return let me finish with a strong poll of a particular television program.
4:55 pm
you're watching "hardball," the place for politics. y ford is the brand more people buy and buy again. wow! that's a four-cylinder? i thought it was a six. i definitely feel the ecoboost in the ford escape. that's like a sports car. i just opened my trunk with my foot. i prefer, without a doubt, the escape over the cr-v. take the ecoboost challenge at your ford dealer. and for a limited-time get an escape with zero percent financing for sixty months plus seven-fifty cash if you own a ford or qualifying competitive vehicle. i'm brian vickers, nascar® driver. i'm kevin nealon comedian. and i'm arnold palmer, professional golfer. know what we have in common? we talked to our doctors about treatment with xarelto®. me, when i had a blood clot in my leg that could have traveled to my lungs. that's why i took xarelto®, too. xarelto® is proven to treat and help reduce the risk of dvt and pe blood clots. i took xarelto® for afib... an irregular heartbeat that can lead to a stroke from a blood clot. xarelto® is proven to reduce the risk of stroke in people with afib, not caused by a heart valve problem. hey, well i'm glad we got together.
4:56 pm
for people with afib currently well managed on warfarin there is limited information on how xarelto® and warfarin compare in reducing the risk of stroke. i tried warfarin before, but the blood testing routine and dietary restrictions had me off my game. tell me about it. let's see, golf clinic, or blood clinic? ooh, that's a tough one. not this time. not with xarelto®. anything else? i'll have another arnold palmer. ok. make mine a kevin nealon. really, brian? hey, safety first. like all blood thinners, don't stop taking xarelto® without talking to your doctor as this may increase your risk of a blood clot or stroke. while taking xarelto® you may bruise more easily and it may take longer for bleeding to stop. xarelto® may increase your risk of bleeding if you take certain medicines. xarelto® can cause serious bleeding and in rare cases may be fatal. get help right away if you develop unexpected bleeding unusual bruising, or tingling. if you have had spinal anesthesia while on xarelto® watch for back pain or any nerve or muscle-related signs or symptoms. do not take xarelto® if you have an artificial heart valve, or abnormal bleeding.
4:57 pm
tell your doctor before all planned medical or dental procedures. before starting xarelto® tell your doctor about any conditions such as kidney, liver, or bleeding problems. xarelto® has been prescribed more than 11 million times in the u.s. and that number's growing. like your guys' scores. with xarelto® there is no regular blood monitoring, and no known dietary restrictions. treatment with xarelto® was the right move for us. ask your doctor about xarelto®. you may be able to get up to 12 months at no cost.
4:58 pm
let me finish tonight with a strong poll of a particular television program. it's called madmen. okay. i'll make it official. i care about don draper and what happens to him and i'm not the only one who does. i care about roger sterling one of the most subtle and amazing characters in dramatic history. this guys who knows precisely who he is, yet leaves us time after time hoping desperately for him to finally grab control of his life and some
4:59 pm
responsibility for those around him. i care about the impressive, but vulnerable joan, who only needs one name, and pete campbell and peggy olson and young sally draper who just might be this shows future of the life here on earth. it's all incredibly true. i want all those americans the of the midcentury to not only get through the changes pounding them every week, not merely to endure, as william faulkner put it in his nobel acceptance speech of that err wrab but to prevail. i want don to find his place in the world, his true gutsy successful position of honor that he deserves, for roger to get off his butt and grab the reins that life provides him, only if he would reach for them. i want joan to get the status in this world she's earned for peggy, to face down the chaufists and win her place. for young sally to savor family and make love work for them. i want this world that has intrigued me grabbed me, haunted me, to discover the
5:00 pm
route to its final deliverance and for each character who we have come to love, a chance to look us in our souls and say good-bye. and that's "hardball" for now. thanks for being with us. "all in with chris hayes" starts right now. tonight on "all in." >> there's nothing to celebrate. this is a matter of justice. >> dzhokar tsarnaev sentenced to die for his role in the boston marathon bombing. tonight, the reaction from who's and the long-shot defense strategy that did not work. then, another police shooting caught on tape shows yet again how faulty eyewitness testimony can be. . actor danny glover on the new civil rights movement and actor ethan hawke on his new role as a remote-control drone pilot in "good kill." >> three, two, one, right. >> good

94 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on