Skip to main content

tv   Hardball With Chris Matthews  MSNBC  September 30, 2015 11:00pm-12:01am PDT

11:00 pm
i don't see how you get out of his answer on that plane. >> we're getting a lot closer to it as this information develops. you're right, we have to get more from the vatican. e.j. dionne, to uh very much for that new information tonight. trump fights obama. let's play "hardball." good evening on a wild and strange night in american politics. donald trump riding a triumphant lead says u.s. should let vladimir putin bomb isis. the problem for donald trump is that putin's bombers were bombing the non-terrorist forces fighting assad. kevin mccarthy admitted the strategy was what everyone
11:01 pm
thought from the start to knock down hillary clinton's poll numbers. mccarthy was defending his record and argued his speakership would deliver victories for republicans. >> what you are going to see is a conservative speaker that takes a conservative congress, that puts a strategy to fight and win. let me give you one example. everybody thought hillary clinton was unbeatable, right? but we put together a benghazi special committee, a select committee. what are her numbers today? her numbers are dropping. why? because she is untrustable. no one would have known any of that had happened. >> i agree. i give you credit for that. >> unbelievable. let's bring in the panel. we didn't need this much fire power.
11:02 pm
this is the dumbest statement i have heard since 47% since this is why we screw the planks out of voting to win an election. he is admitting that the strategy was to get hillary's poll numbers down why we have tray goudy working so piously. >> we don't need toto to pull back the curtain on the fake wizard of oz. i will do it myself. i think what kevin mccarthy is doing, he is a nice guy, he is trying to lock up. what he is doing there at the risk of sacrificing any credibility of his own party is say i am going to allow the attack dogs to go after hillary in that committee. that is what he was doing. it was a disaster in terms of global politics. >> i just love it when -- kevin
11:03 pm
mccarthy, nice name, really pretty and acts like a fool. he gives away the whole strategy the republicans have been following which is we are out to get hillary. >> there have been a dozen different probes about benghazi none have found wrong doing. they put the select committee together. and all kevin mccarthy left out is we will be renaming this the committee to prevent the election of hillary clinton. his audition to be speaker before he was whip the guy who wouldn't prevent boehner from being humiliated. he has not ever been that talented. >> how can you -- about something so ant like? >> one might try. >> let's watch this because there is a pattern here. for those on the progressive side you will love this.
11:04 pm
this is but the latest example of a politician on the right coughing up the truth. remember these gems? >> you said the single most important thing we want to achieve is for president obama to be a one-term president. how do you respond to those lines of attack? >> that is my single most -- >> do you think the attention drawn -- >> i think a little bit. we probably had a better election. we cut obama by 5% which was big. i think probably voter i.d. helped a bit in that. >> there are 47% of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. 47% would whip him who believe they are victims and the government has a responsibility. my job is not to worry about those people. i can never convince them. what i have to do is convince the 5% in the senate.
11:05 pm
>> it reminds me saying the reason i switched parties is so i can remain electable. they just give the truth if you listen closely. >> the classic definition of a washington gaff which is accidently telling the truth. >> truth spoken -- we had the guy probably the bartender who caught the 47%. then the guys just cough it up without being tricked. >> then they don't learn from the mistakes of friends. you have jeb bush saying i won't give black people free stuff. so he is doing it, too. i think they walk into what i guess you can call gaffs because they are pandering to the part of the party making them lose. >> it was great for hillary. she is not always the victim but in this case she clearly was
11:06 pm
because they keep pounding that drum like a toy drum without noise or music or lyrics. a spokesman for hillary clinton called it a damming display of honesty. hillary clinton was asked about it today with an interview with the reverend al sharpton. >> what is your response to mccarthy's comments? >> i find them deeply distressing. i knew the ambassador that we lost in benghazi along with him we lost three other brave americans who were representing us in a very dangerous part of the world. when i hear a statement like that which demonstrates unequivically that this was always meant to be a partisan political exercise i feel like it does a grave disservice and dishonors not just the memory of the four that we lost but of everybody who has served our country. >> that was certainly edifying but i'm not sure that was the
11:07 pm
counter punch i would have given. i have been waiting to catch you with your chin out. >> even though mccarthy has given them the truth here and thus an opportunity -- >> admitted the whole thing was political. cephal -- i think the democrats need to use this as an opening to just lay these people out. >> how do you do that using the process? >> how do you do it? >> a lot of people say we are going to shut down -- >> if i were hillary's campaign, if i were a friend of hillary i would go to the democrats on the hill and say i'm not asking you to necessarily support me. here is the republicans using the -- >> lots of money. >> and wasting money and wasting time. why don't you just take them out? take them down a peg or two on their relentless partisanship. it's not about me but about the process.
11:08 pm
i think she should be doing that? >> what would happen? >> i think because they have the perfect person to do that in elijah cummings. they need to get people like elijah cummings out there. as you said they are sticking their chin out on the republican side. someone needs to hit them. >> predicated oen the assumption that there is still shame. i'm not sure there is. elijah cummings is very good. >> i asked bernie to help out. if i were hillary i would say we are in a great dignified contest. >> we don't have robert welsh. have you no shame. last year just to put another nail in this coffin chairman ft ohouse so-called oversight committee led his investigation into the benghazi attacks. he said he had suspicions that secretary clinton issued a stand
11:09 pm
down order. suspicions. let's watch him in action. >> we need to have an answer of when the secretary of defense had assets that he could have begun spitting up, why was not one order given to turn on one department of defense asset? i have my suspicions which is secretary clinton to stand down. we heard about the stand down order for two military personnel. >> that charge has been shot down by every investigation, even republicans on the house arms services committee concluded there is no stand down order issued to u.s. personnel in tripoli. this whole attempt, i try to figure it out, you take something like his opposition to the vietnam war when he got home and conflate that with he was a lousy soldier which he was not and so in this case they say
11:10 pm
because there was some screw up in the way they presented what happened somehow hillary during the action somehow let her good friend die on purpose because she wouldn't act. they have never been able to prove it but they keep throwing it out there. that to me is the evil of this whole deal. make hillary look like she killed her friend. that is what they are trying to say. >> vince foster. >> as long as we are dispensing free advice for the hillary clinton choir i suggest a few other people. military people. this is a big opportunity. she has been on the defensive now for weeks and months. mccarthy is correct. her numbers have gone down in terms of trust worthiness. i have been saying she needed a break. she had to catch a break somewhere. this is a break. she has to make the most out of it. on the military front, on the credibility front and partisan politics front.
11:11 pm
>> she is running for president. i'm doing this. this is the time you give your speech. i did everything possible. i really like that guy unlike you folks i knew him and liked him. he was my friend. he was serving the united states and serving me as secretary of state. we just couldn't get there in time. you couldn't get there in time to stop the world trade center from blowing up and you were here. things are not always possible. >> she will have an tupt to sit in that chair and have you no shame moment. thing of the e-mail gate scandal is also benghazi but the origins of that story is that this committee is trolling through hillary clinton's e-mails hoping they can find the smoking gun to prove. >> thank you.
11:12 pm
>> they are all hard to write. >> we have a big show tonight. donald trump still the top dog. those rivals don't look like presidential actual candidates. all the elected officials are down in like the single digits. he is squeezing down to starvation. the people you can imagine being president. russia launches air strikes in syria. putin says he is targeting islamic states. the obama administration says they are attacking the good guys over there, the ones we are using are helping to fight assad. what an unbelievable situation.
11:13 pm
11:14 pm
we'll be r cnbc released criteria for the republican presidential debate on october 28. to make the primetime debate candidates must have a polling average of 2.5%. that rounds up to 3 conducted between september 17 and october 21. those who don't make the cut will appear in a happy hour debate so long as they have above 1%. this is scraping the bottom of the barrel to find candidates.
11:15 pm
11:16 pm
i don't know what we do about these guys know. we have people that don't know. >> that's donald trump on the campaign trail. we'll listen for a bit. >> we have to be tough and we
11:17 pm
have to be smart. at the same time i want to rebuild this country. we have bridges that are falling down. we have 60% of our bridges are in danger. 60%. we have roadways coming apart. we have airports that are third world. you go over to qatar. you go to saudi arabia. some of the countries, china. you see airports the likes of which you have never ever seen before. then you come back and land at la guardia. pot holes. you land at la guardia or newark or lax and you walk into a filthy terminal that is falling apart with broken floors and that's all we have. we used to be the leader. we have to rebuild our own country. you know when you owe $19 trillion and you want to take care of the vets and want to build up the military -- because i will build up the military so big, so strong.
11:18 pm
nobody is going to mess with us. nobody. nobody. with that being said, you have to know when to use it. you have to know when. so in 2004 and 2003 i said don't go into iraq. i didn't know that much iraq. but i knew iraq and iran are always fighting. and they are equals. they go ten feet this way, ten feet this way and use poison gas or saddam hussein who is terrible and then the other side and then they rest for a few years. nobody ever moves. so i said i don't know if they have weapons of mass destruction but if they do they are going to use it on iran. that was iraq. but if you ruin one of those two powerful agents the other one will take over and it will be a disaster in the middle east. you will have a totally destabilized middle east.
11:19 pm
that was in reuters 2004 in june or july. big story. trump opposed to doing it. again, i'm the most mill tristich person in this room. you have to know when to use it. it's like also i said of all of the guys that blew up the world trade center they went back to saudi arabias. they sent families back to saudi arabia. why are we going after iraq right now? the families went back to saudi arabia. they didn't go back to iraq. one might have. we know nothing. we know nothing. here is what happens. we totally wiped out iraq. totally destabilized the middle east. gave other people ideas that you can actually knock these things out. iran as you sit here tonight is taking over iraq which has one
11:20 pm
of the richest oil reserves in the world. their oil is unbelievable in iraq, underground. one of the biggest in the world. so they totally take over and are going to. we spend this money and lives and wounded warriors, we get nothing because we have stupid leadership. now, if you know anything about the soviet union. they broke up because they spent so much money in afghanistan. they spent so much money that they were going bust and that's the primary reason or certainly one of the primary reasons that the soviet union broke up. the afghan people, great fighters. i have a friend of mine, a big war historian, among the best fighters afghanistan. so now we have the soviet union wants to go to syria.
11:21 pm
and they want to knock the hell out of people. and we are fighting assad because assad is our enemy and we are fighting syria. syria wants to fight assad. think of this. i get a little -- that's not really nice. give me a break. so you have isis that wants to take on assad. so we are fighting isis but we want to fight assad. why don't you let those two fight for a little while and take over the remnants? i guarantee you that assad is sitting back saying that president is one of the dumbest human beings on earth. it's true. so you have isis that wants to fight assad. and isis can't because we're bombing them. we are not doing the job but we are certainly hurting them. so they are not going after assad.
11:22 pm
you have russia and iran. iran became powerful because we gave them so much money aside from the nuclear. we gave them 150 billion. that is real money. with us not the same. now you have iran and russia on the side of assad. but they both want -- russia does want isis out because they don't want them coming into russia. they don't want them crossing borders into russia. you have the migration because syria is such a disaster. and now i hear we want to take in 200,000 syrians. and they could be isis. i don't know. did you ever see a migration like that? they are all men and they are all strong looking guys. did you see it? they are walking and so many men, not many women. why aren't they fighting to save syria. why are they migrating all over
11:23 pm
europe? seriously? so now you have this guy, secretary kerry, maybe the worst negotiator. i think he will go down as the worst secretary of state than hillary clinton because of the deal. she was terrible. i think he is worse because of the deal. you have him saying we are going to take in maybe -- the number i am hearing is inconceivable. the other day i heard 200,000. we are going to take in 200,000 syrians or wherever they come from. we have no idea. there is no identification, no anything. i will tell you right now and i am putting everybody on notice and hopefully this gets outside of this room. i am putting the people on notice that are coming here from syria as part of this mass migration that if i win they are going back.
11:24 pm
they are going back. i'm telling you. they are going back. because military tactics are very interesting. this could be one of the great tactical ploys of all time. a 200,000 man army maybe. or if you said 50,000 or 80,000 or 100,000 we have problems. and that could be possible. i don't know that it is. they are going back. they are going back. i'm just telling them. if they come that's great. if i lose i guess they are staying. if i win they are going back. a lot of people athat's not nice. we can't afford to be nice. we are losing our shirts on everything we do. everything we do.
11:25 pm
so tonight i'm doing a show on cnn at 10:00. and the question was asked to me, why don't you give us policy, policy with respect to attitudes on war in the middle east? why don't you tell us exactly what you are going to do in syria, what you are going to do in iraq? i said i don't want to tell you. it sounds terrible. i know a lot about it. i think my biggest -- i think other than jobs -- everybody says cnn did a poll. i'm through the roof on jobs and leadership and everything other than some people don't think i'm a nice person. i am a nice person. i love people. i want to help people. but -- thank you. you know, actually you know where i do best new hampshire, iowa and south carolina. they got to know me. i'm here so much those are the places.
11:26 pm
once i get out i think people will find i just want to do the right thing. i tell the story about a woman who said you think you are nice enough? i say i think it is about competence. people are tired of being pushed around. i said to don lemon i want to be unpredictable. i beat some group of people -- i love winning. i love it. >> that's donald trump tonight at a campaign rally in new hampshire. jeb bush is holding a rally in bedford, new hampshire. trump holds the top spot across the country. the latest poll has trump leading the field. carson, carly fiorina at 13. if you are wondering who the group supports it's trump by a mile. the people who believe obama is a muslim like trump.
11:27 pm
we are back. moments ago trump took on his rivals as only he can. let's listen to him here. >> and they asked bush what do you think of rubio? rubio comes out and talking about bush. what do you think of rubio? he is my dear friend. he is so wonderful. i love him so much. then there is rubio who is running against bush and he probably shouldn't be from a loyalty standpoint. the veterans know what i mean about loyalty. so they ask rubio what do you think of bush? he is my dear friend. they hate each other. trust me, i know. they hate so much. they hate more than anybody in this room hates their neighbor. but it's political [ bleep ]. do you understand? >> that word he used is bs. it is mesmerizing if you don't
11:28 pm
get into the fine point. it seemed like he was saying the kind of thing that pat buchanan said about world war ii. let the russians fight the nazis and see who wins. he is saying like assad who we don't like fight isis who we fear and let them duke it out. that sounds fairly appealing to americans who don't want to get in the fight. >> it is a simplistic playground thing to say. however, he is saying it in the absence of a credible u.s. plan. >> it's the only game in town because the president -- we both like the president's policies but he doesn't have any anti-isis -- >> that's not an easy thing to come by. >> trump has something and he just -- >> putin will be on their side. fight it out to the end. what did he say?
11:29 pm
pick up what is left of the rubble? >> pick up the remnants on the floor. >> it's not parquet? >> thomas freedman wrote a column saying not far from the same thing that if vladimir putin is fool enough to get himself entangled in this mess that we have created between iraq, iran and syria then let him go for it and see how it works out. he is saying something. >> assad is not a good guy. somebody is directing russian planes to bomb the non-terrorist forces. >> what we are witnessing here is the on the fly accidental but very interesting alliance between vladimir putin and donald trump against barack obama. vladimir putin -- >> the right wing has -- >> putin found a way at the
11:30 pm
united nations because of the fact that we don't have anti-isis policy to propose himself as leader of coalition. >> unitary theory. >> watching donald trump do this -- >> explain. >> if we don't support assad and keep some semblance of however cruel that means more migrants and refugees. the united states is going to take hundreds of thousands of them. >> that will become a secret army. >> and i, donald trump, if i am elected will send them immediately back out of the country. watching him operate is like watching a safe cracker. he is listening as he is turning the tumblers and something clicks and connects it up with an emotional issue. that is what keeps him afloat. we have been watching this speech.
11:31 pm
he hasn't said anything new or interesting. >> that's the news. >> i'm going to send all of the migrants back. >> do you realize how popular that will be on the right? a lot of democrats. i have a deep theory about this and people on the left will challenge it. i don't think it is all about racism. american nativism, of course. there is also a sense that nobody is watching the door and watching out for reasonable immigration and figuring out reasonable level of spending. nobody is doing the job of protecting the interest of the average american not getting the job done. trump comes along, the guy on the horse and says i will build a damn wall. they are not doing anything. nobody believes the wall will happen. now saying we will send 200,000 middle easterners -- >> he is going to --
11:32 pm
>> they will be tagged on the way in and easy to find. what a ruckus. >> and howard describes him as a safe cracker. to me he sounds like a talk radio host. he talks through some things, some things that the working class guy particularly working class white americans have been listening to for 30 something years on talk radio which is nobody is going to look out for you. >> a lot of other politicians promise to look out for us. >> we don't have a reasonable fiscal policy that people can understand. it never makes sense. >> he is saying politicians won't do it. >> $19 trillion debt. it works. it works with regular guys out there. not just working class. they go what is the plan here? how much debt can we accumulate before we tilt? >> he promises to increase it. >> by spending lavishly on the military.
11:33 pm
>> go for corara. >> my thanks to you. it's hard to keep up with this guy. stay with us. we have much more "hardball." look out republican establishment. you are losing. much more of the stunning admission by the new speaker of the house that the benghazi investigation was a scam. it was all about politics. and kevin mccarthy, mr. speaker, you spoke those words. we'll be back.
11:34 pm
11:35 pm
11:36 pm
san fwhile this parking loting lies still. life, proposition d and mission rock will create a new neighborhood right here with 40% affordable housing, 8 acres of parks and open space, all connected to public transit, and generate $25 million a year in revenue for san francisco. vote yes on d to turn this into this. ♪
11:37 pm
welcome back to "hardball." the big story capitol hill today is the epic gaff from the man who wants to be the next speaker of the house. kevin mccarthy unfortunately has an irish name. here is the guy saying the purpose of the stupid hearings on benghazi wasn't to find out what happened but to screw hillary clinton. let's watch. >> what you are going to see is a conservative speaker that takes a conservative congress
11:38 pm
that puts a strategy to fight and win. and let me give you one example. everybody thought hillary clinton was unbeatable, right? but we put together a benghazi special committee. a select committee. what are her numbers today? her numbers are dropping. why? because she is untrustable. no one would have known that happened had we not -- >> i give you credit for that. >> i'm joined by tonight's round table. april ryan, washington bureau chief and dana mill bank, you are running brilliantly. you don't have to be brilliant about this. what a doof s. he comes out. this guy comes out and says the reason we had this strategy was, the reason we investigated benghazi was to get hillary clinton's numbers down. >> it is the classic case that a
11:39 pm
gaff in washington is when you accidently speak the truth. that's what was so devastating about this moments after he is basically named the speaker. >> use the word loosely. what was he thinking? >> it was a slip. this is a bigger issue. i talked to congressman cummings before we went on the air. >> ranking democratic on the committee. >> not irish that we know of. >> you know the congressman said to me the sad part about this is the families came to us after they have learned -- >> the families of the foreign service officofficers. the families asked them to perform the investigation to the best of their ability. he said they have got no answers at this point.
11:40 pm
$4.5 million and counting unlimited money dedicated to this and they are just running this in the hole because they want to go against hillary clinton. >> this wasn't a slip of the lip. what he was doing, he was pandering. this is a guy trying to replace john boehner. and he is saying we can do things in congress. we can hold investigations for partisan ends and get hillary clinton's number. >> this is why the u.s. congress about 8% approval rating. all they do is meet for the purpose of trying to embarrass the other side. it used to be one political party kept the other one honest. now one makes sure the other -- >> it may be pandering but you may be giving him too much credit saying it is premeditated. it is like watching a child play with a loaded gun. the members in his caucus were
11:41 pm
elevating him to the top speaking position in his party and have to realize there is no telling -- >> what is his problem with the language? >> speaker. speaking. >> why can't he talk? >> people have said to me is it dyslexia? there is no indication. he seems to have trouble between the thought and his brain and when it comes out of his mouth. >> it sounds worse than dan quail which is really worse. >> i say he is the yogi berra of our time. >> this man can be the speaker of the house. he is letting us know what the thought is. it's not all -- >> isn't this the opportunity for them to pick up the chips? as howard said a while ago this is a time to get together and say here is a chance to turn the table on the red hot republicans and show everything they have been mouthing, all their campaign propaganda is just
11:42 pm
that. here is a chance to reset the table. let's talk policy now. hillary can do that. >> there is a little problem because hillary has been trying to do that. bill clienten came out to try to do that. she has her own credibility problem. i know when i say this on the show, not on benghazi but other issues. >> what is her problem? >> she hasn't always been square with what she said. >> what is she hiding? >> maybe nothing. >> how can you have a scandal without a scandal? >> because when it first came out her people said she didn't violate regulations. she wasn't in sync with regulations. she has several times said things that weren't true. i don't think this is the biggest scandal in the world. i think the way she handled it has been atrocious. >> i don't understand the hesitation to come out with things.
11:43 pm
to say the 30,000 e-mails that she kept as private and were going to be destroyed. then she said i don't need them anymore is apparently what she said. you don't say about 30,000 pieces of mail that includes your life stuff in it. you say get rid of them or i want to look at them or something. put them in safe keeping. you don't say i'm not going to need them anymore. >> because of who she is and what she means to this nation whether personal e-mail or public e-mail she needs to keep her e-mails. you are exactly right. >> that is why she can't come out. >> mccarthy's statement will make it much easier. >> she has to testify. >> that is the big thing. >> last night kevin mccarthy was asked to assess how well john boehner did as speaker. >> give me a grade for john boehner as speaker of the house.
11:44 pm
>> i think john boehner deserves a b minus. one thing i will tell you. he won a majority. we got the highest margin we had before. we lowered the deficit but there is a lot more. we passed 300 bills this year. you look into the senate. they had him moved. >> if the guy is going to be speaker calls his boss is still the speaker what do the democrats give him? this is grade deflation. >> is he going to do better than boehner? >> president obama said he was a good man and never -- >> this is why you should expect a government shutdown in december. he is frightened of the caucus that he can't say a nice word about john boehner? >> you are a student of this. the reason he can't give an a
11:45 pm
minus is because he is scared of the rabbits on the hill and they are afraid that they are frightened. they are scared. >> he is going to let them drive off the cliff. >> mccarthy will use this to rally the troops who are fractured. these people who are not together he is going to rally them and we are going to have a problem with the planned parenthood thing. we will have a major problem with the budget. >> that was yesterday's lie. >> it is a lie but they are going to try to work it. >> not a product of abortion. it was not a product of anything to do with planned parenthood. they are staying with us. this is "hardball," place for politics.
11:46 pm
11:47 pm
the u.s. government will not be shutting down tonight. so the bill goes to president obama for signature and expect a big fight and possibly a show down come december. we'll be right back.
11:48 pm
alright, be alert here. peyton! i needed this big screen to show you the big toppings on the new monster toppings pizza. they're big, aren't they? yeah they're huge. but really? now? is this really happening? up your game with our new monster toppings pizza 33% larger than our large with monster-sized pepperoni and italian sausage, just $12. add garlic or cinnamon knots for $5 more. better ingredients. better pizza. better football. at the new papa johns.com
11:49 pm
11:50 pm
big news from donald trump promising to send back all syrian refugees he expects to come in between now and his inauguration. all of them go home if he gets elected. >> now i hear we want to take in 200,000 syrians, right? and they could be -- listen, they could be isis. i don't know. did you ever see a migration like that? and i'll tell you right now, i'm put ing everybody on notice, hopefully this gets outside of this room, i guess it will with all these crazy cameras going back there. i'm putting the people on notice that are coming here from syria as part of this mass migration that if i win, if i win, they're going back. they're going back. i'm telling you. they're going back.
11:51 pm
>> i bet that's tomorrow morning's headlines in the major papers. trump holds the top spot in the republican contest. believe it or not, like it or not. the latest poll has trump leading the field again. trump 23, carson and fiorina ten points back. rubio, nothing, 9. bush, nothing, 8. cruz, 6. back with dana and april. you look at that list. i hope we keep that list up there. what shows you is the starvation of the second half of the list. all of the electeds, all the people who held governor or senate positions or currently holding them, everybody who hasn't had a job in government or politics, fiorina, dr. carson and trump himself are dominating. >> add that up. one out of two gop voters want to put in the white house someone with no experience governing. no experience. carly fiorina had a bad -- >> no guilt. no guilt for being -- >> ben carson no experience in politics at all. so that shows you that -- >> okay.
11:52 pm
imagine if o'connell ran for president, if boehner tried to run, if mccarthy tried to run. they hate what is going on in washington because anything is going in washington. they're so angry. >> it is not just washington. they don't even like outside governors. >> hillary clinton if she gets the nomination, will be able to be the government candidate. but unfortunately the way this thing is going on the right, she'll be the enemy. i don't think the whole country is exactly the same as the republican right. i don't think so. >> let me say this, hillary clinton -- >> they don't like trump, the rest of the country. >> i think what we're seeing is the phenomenon. it is very base. you don't even need to have a poll for this. people are tired, like you said. people are sick and tired of having their jobs, money played with. and just their life circumstances played with. people want to be able to live free, but wait a minute , hillary clinton, if she were to become president, she is the one who has the pedigree that no one else has. she is the woman of diplomacy. she has been -- >> is that what the public
11:53 pm
wants? >> do people want to go to war? we are war weary. >> do you think she's a dove? >> i think she's a dove. i believe she is a dove. she has a heart -- she has an iron fist with a velvet glove on. a woman of diplomacy. she's looked over executive branch issues with her husband, bill clinton, who she's now bringing out, who is -- >> so rational. >> i am. i need to be rational with your -- >> i worry about her glove and somebody else's fist as i do with all politicians. one thing to use words, metaphor, for the guy out there fighting and the woman in the trenches, it is real. not a metaphor. >> i do believe she -- >> usually stupid enterprises. >> she's a woman of diplomacy. >> -- to the current -- >> she was a secretary of state which is diplomacy. >> on this other topic, i wouldn't count out the establishment and the republican party and those with experience. >> like who? >> well -- >> who can win the nomination? rubio still in the running. >> jeb bush at this point. why is why scott walker got out
11:54 pm
of the race or ostensibly, it is hard to imagine -- >> look me in the eye, remember this moment. jeb bush will not be the nominee. he will not be the nominee. >> i feel so sorry for him. >> this point we thought it was going to be herman cain. >> your newspaper has him in third chance. they got him in the running now. whatever it was before -- >> the gop establishment will have an interest in trying to consolidate behind one of the nonoutsiders, maybe marco rubio more than jeb bush and so at the end of the day, you're going to have a couple of outsiders and one or two maybe establishment choices, and it is still up to the gop base to decide if they will accept rubio or -- >> let me -- you first, two big news developments tonight, one is that it is coming out today, not just that donald trump says he'll throw back 200,000 syrians back to the middle east, whether
11:55 pm
he is or not, whether there will be 200,000, but the big development is, it turns up his call for us to support assad and putin has ended up with the russian air force bombing the good guys in the middle east. is that going to offend the people's support or stop the support for trump in. >> let putin and isis fight it out. i think it will be fine. >> will clinton be able to exploit the fact that they lied about it they ran trumped up senate hearings to hurt her. >> will she exploit it? >> her husband will. >> i think the democrats have a rallying point here. and they're not going to shut down the benghazi hearing bought make it look like -- >> we showed you enough of trump to get the point across, to get news without letting him go through his usual repetitive stuff. i watched him earlier tonight and he's repeating every line we heard before. i don't think we need that -- >> do you think he's fired? >> i'm not in that position yet. very funny, though. there may come a day when the
11:56 pm
country may offer that verdict. >> you're fired. >> thank you to my round table, dave corn, april ryan, the giggly one, and -- "hardball" back after this. kaufman. married to morty kaufman. [ lee ] now that i'm getting older some things are harder to do. this is not a safe thing to do. be careful babe. there should be some way to make it easier [ doorbell rings ] let's open it up and see what's cookin'. oh i like that. look at this it's got a handle on it. i don't have to climb up. this yellow part up here really catches a lot of the dust. did you notice how clean it looks? morty are you listening? morty? [ morty ] i'm listening! i want you to know
11:57 pm
11:58 pm
11:59 pm
morty are you listening? morty? we figure you probably don't have time to wait on hold. that's why at xfinity we're hard at work, building new apps like this one that lets you choose a time for us to call you. so instead of waiting on hold, we'll call you when things are just as wonderful... [phone ringing] but a little less crazy. we're doing everything we can to give you the best experience possible. because we should fit into your life. not the other way around. last night, the news was how the critics lied about planned parenthood. it was a mother of a still born baby, that picture, that was not anything to do with planned parenthood. the thing we discovered tonight was that, well, the republicans built up a big case about benghazi and admit today kevin
12:00 am
mccarthy it was all about politics, all partisanship. it is not going to make them look good after this. that's it for "hardball." lots of news keeps coming. "all in with chris hayes" starts right now. tonight on "all in". >> everybody thought hillary was unbeatable, right? >> giving up the game on benghazi. >> we put together a benghazi special committee, a select committee. >> a top republican confirms it, the benghazi committee was designed to stop hillary clinton. >> what are her numbers today? her numbers are dropping. >> tonight, the top democrat from the benghazi committee joins me live. then, donald trump's latest campaign ploy. why the republican front-runner is now courting televangelists. and the eruption over the secret meeting between kim davis and the pope. >> i just want to give god the glory. his peopha

47 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on