Skip to main content

tv   Melissa Harris- Perry  MSNBC  October 17, 2015 7:00am-9:01am PDT

7:00 am
on every purchase, every day. just book any flight you want then use your miles to cover the cost. now, that's more like it. what's in your wallet? reconsidering sentencing miners to life in prison. but first, the hottest thing from this week's democratic debate. good morning. a most remarkable thing happened at the first democratic primary debate this week. the top two contenders had a substantive discussion about the
7:01 am
pros and cons of capitalism. capitalism. something so embedded in our idea of america itself that it seems like a given. so much so that we might not even know what we mean when we say capitalism. but we know that it has something to do with competition, with the free market and with the promise that you will succeed or fail based on your own abilities, your pluck, your hard work. or they might define capitalism, cash rule everything around me cream. see my point when even the oppositional youth culture is devoted to capitalism as a basic organizing principle, you know anyone who wants to be president certainly isn't going to question it. except that is exactly what happened earlier this week. in a scene that had been unimaginable since the cold war began. two mainstream presidential contenders vying for the nomination of one of the two major political parties. shifted the language from
7:02 am
capitalism to capitalism. >> you don't consider yourself a capitalist though? >> do i consider myself part of the casino capitalist process by which so few have so much and so many have so little. by which wall street's greed and recklessness wrecked this economy? no, i don't. i believe in a society where all people do well. not just the handful of billionaires. >> okay, okay. but the thing is, we've come to expect that from senator sanders. socialist since his college days. he's become practiced at defending his brand. especially when confronted with polls that say americans would more willingly vote for an atheist, guy or muslim presidential candidate than for a socialist. >> how can any kind of socialists win a general election in the united states? >> we're going to win because first we're going to explain what democratic socialism is. what democratic socialism is about is saying that it is immoral and wrong that the top
7:03 am
one-tenth of 1% in this country own almost 90%. own almost as much wealth as the bottom 90%. that it is as wrong today in a rigged economy, that 57% of all new income is going to the top 1%. >> okay, okay, but again, we expect that from the good senator. but here's what's crazy. even hillary clinton seen by many as the most mainstream of mainstream modern capitalists. she wanted to get in on the capitalism question too. >> is there anybody else on this stage who's not a capitalist? >> well, let me just follow up on that. when i think about capitalism, i think about all the small billses are turned off. and to make a good living for themselves and their families. i don't think we should confuse what we have to do every so
7:04 am
often in america, which is save capitalism from itself. >> secretary clibten just talked about, quote, saving capitalism from itself. then she went on to say this. >> we are the united states of america and it's our job to rein in the excess of capitalism so that it doesn't run amok and doesn't cause the kind of inequities we're seeing in our economic system. >> for me, the only thing more surprising than having a debate about capitalism among top presidential candidates is we're having the debate right now. because we didn't seem to really have this debate in 2008, you know, when the financial system that undergirds our capitalist economy kind of completely fell apart weeks before the election. we didn't have the debate in 2010, amid a conversation about wealth and equality in the wake of occupy wall street as a movement. we're debating capitalism now. now in the midst of a recovery. when the unemployment rate is just over 5%. that's way down.
7:05 am
now when things are far from perfect, when we're no longer in crisis mode about the economy, now we're asking, is capitalism actually good for america. and it's not even entirely clear how we're going to answer. joining me now, matt wealth, editor and chief of reason magazine. carmen rita wong who is author of "the real cost of living." ki wright, features editor for "the nation" magazine. and jeffrey myron, who is director of economic studies at the cato institute. than thanks to everybody for being here. the harvard professor. how is it that capitalism is supposed to work? beyond the question of whether or not it's operating in that way, in a given nation, including ours, what kind of underpinning beliefs of capitalism? >> the crucial things about capitalism is businesses are
7:06 am
allowed to enter and try to do whatever they want and they're allowed to fail. the government is never putting its hand on the balance in either direction. so it's not taxing particular industries or subsidizing any industries. it's not bailing out industries that are failing. it's just letting the marketplace determine what survives and what doesn't. the claim is when we do that, we get an efficient production. we get the most output per unit of inputs. >> it feels like part of what undergirds are a set of assumptions. so that idea we get the most efficient has everything to do with a belief about how individuals then enter into that marketplace the way that they make choices, how much information they have, and that feels to me like part of what was going on in that debate, was capitalism might be good in theory but it isn't in practice. you were tweeting you were going to come here and defend capitalism. so go for it. >> nick christoph. >> you're going to start with nick christoph, all right.
7:07 am
>> not known for being a market fundamentalist. the incredible reduction of poverty over the last 20 years. 20 years. we've gone from extreme poverty of 35% in 1993 to 14% in 2011. that happened around the world. not because people woke up and said we need more bernie sanders-like policies. it happened because places that were much more closed opened up. they allowed for capital flows. they allowed casino horrible stock market things to happen. that is an amazing story that we forget at our peril. >> so i hear you. nick christoph, also for me, part of what he misses is there's two ways to measure a question, like sort of where are we on poverty. one is the floor, which has clearly come up globally. the other is the gap, right. the floor of poverty has come up but the gap has widened. that applause we heard from senator sanders is really about
7:08 am
the gap, not about the floor. >> well, i want to talk about the floor. in the united states when we look at poverty, yes, there's -- yes, poverty programs have worked for people. for seniors, we have all but eradicated, brought up the floor of poverty. if you look at the country, poverty has deep ened in the united states to historic terms. so not just the number of people living below poverty but the number of people living below half the poverty rate has grown. so the floor, in fact, has fallen for a lot of people. >> let me talk about the gap. i'll take on the middle. the 80% of americans in the middle. this is one stat i love. to show how capitalism can run amok. 50 years ago, ceo pay was 20-1. now it's about 364-1. now, tell me how that is capitalism working so that jobs are created.
7:09 am
yes, okay. we've recovered. don't forget the reason we're hearing and talking about this now. middle america hasn't recovered. we didn't participate in that recovery. what you have is stagnant wages. and most people define when they look at capitalism versus socialism, besides all the scariness of that word, socialism, what that means is do not give free health care, do not help people out of work. it's a very different definition. >> actually mr. trump running for the republican nomination said something very similar in his response to what happened on that debate stage. let's take a listen. >> i watched hillary last night with we're going to give this, we're going to give that. the poor woman, she's got to give everything away because this maniac that was standing on our right is giving everything away so she's following! that's what's happening!
7:10 am
this socialist/communist, okay, nobody wants to say it. [ cheers and applause ] no. >> i want to go to ki's point as well here, which is in part this idea okay to the extent that floor has come up, a lot of it does have to do with our largest sort of socialist giveaway in this country which did, in fact, address poverty for the elderly in this country. >> but that's all right. but i think it's useful to parse sander's position a little bit. he's not actually criticizing capitalism versus socialism, the way we would 50 years ago. he's talking about redistribution. he doesn't like the way the marketplace allocates who gets that stuff. and so the response is, well, are the policies that we distribute helping the right people. how costly are they. it's not about should the
7:11 am
government own the railroad industry. the way it did in britain in the 1950s. >> i want to come back to that. this is a key difference. it isn't about government ownership about the means of production. we'll talk about that when we come back. the challenges of keeping everyone working together can quickly become the only thing you think about. that's where at&t can help. at&t has the tools and the network you need, to make working as one easier than ever. virtually anywhere. leaving you free to focus on what matters most.
7:12 am
a 401(k) is the most sound way to go. let's talk asset allocation. sure. you seem knowledgeable, professional. would you trust me as your financial advisor? i would. i would indeed. well, let's be clear here. i'm actually a dj. [ dance music plays ] [laughs] no way! i have no financial experience at all. that really is you? if they're not a cfp pro, you just don't know. find a certified financial planner professional who's thoroughly vetted at letsmakeaplan.org. cfp -- work with the highest standard. (vo) around age 7, the glucose metabolism in a dog's brain begins to change. (ray) i'd like to see her go back to her more you know social side. she literally started changing. it was shocking. she's much more aware.
7:13 am
(jan) she loves the food. (ray) the difference has been incredible. she wants to learn things. (vo) purina pro plan bright mind promotes alertness and mental sharpness in dogs 7 and older. purina pro plan. nutrition that performs. [annouduring sleep train's latriple choice sale.ig for a limited time, you can choose up to 48 months interest-free financing on a huge selection of tempur-pedic models. or choose to save $300 on beautyrest and posturepedic mattress sets. you can even choose $300 in free gifts with sleep train's most popular stearns & foster mattresses. the triple choice sale ends sunday at sleep train. ♪ sleep train ♪ your ticket to a better night's sleep ♪
7:14 am
you could have all of the growth you want and it doesn't mean anything if all of the new income and wealth is going to the top 1%. we need to support small and medium sized businesses. we have to make sure every family in this country gets a fair shake. >> that was bernie sanders at tuesday night's democratic debate.
7:15 am
making this point that he didn't say the government would do better, right, at owning the means of production. rather, instead, we just ought to take the rich. >> there's also a conversation behind that, is how is government -- how is public investing in individual's ability to be in the marketplace and the way that throughout the 20th century we invested in individuals? we sort of reframed a lot of public programs as entitlements and as supports, but they're actually public investments in people's ability to be part of the system. the erosion of that is a challenge. what young folks are feeling, coming off the recession. where there's just a lot less opportunity. and we're not investing in folks. >> it feels like it's also the erosion of the notion of meritocracy. the one story the u.s. had was we could move up but also move down.
7:16 am
you could be born rich and not necessarily be successful, but that's gone now. >> it's upward mobility that's so bad -- >> on a downward scale -- >> right. but you're looking at taxes and tax rates. our taxes was built at a time when income for most people was how, you know, money was made. if you look at actually how the 1% get taxed, their actual tax rates are closer to 26% because it's capital gains. it's not income. they're not making money as we go and get paychecks. it's a very different tax system. we have to look at how can things shift a bit. i think that's what he's referring to. how can we get more from there. if you tax the .1% and you raise their rates even just 5%, in actual rates, you could pay for every sickle undergraduate education in this country. >> apparently, if we took that top .1% with an average income of $9.4 million, 40% tax rate on that would produce $55 billion in extra revenue. which would be enough to cover
7:17 am
tuition of all. >> there's an assumption behind that which needs to be challenged. which is the books are balanced right now. if we just did this thing, we could pay for this thing. but we're not paying for a thing right now. we have doubled the size of the national debt over the past eight years after doubling the size of the national debt -- >> we stopped taking in enough revenue in the concept of taxes -- >> the growth of government at the same rate of population and inflation at the end of bill clinton's term and just kept government growth at that same level, we would be having surpluses right now -- >> -- it's been in years -- >> but that's the war. >> the deficit is the lowest. not the debt. >> but is it necessarily a bad thing if we need it to prop up -- the middle class is gone. >> the next president will ov oversee the moment where we're paying more every year in debt service than we are for the military. we don't pay a small amount for that military. >> what difference does that
7:18 am
make? >> so i understand what that does in my household. help me understand why that should matter as a national -- >> what matters is that under current projections from the budget office, not from some right wing conspiracy nut case, show if we keep spending current rates on medicare, medicaid, social security, even with a healthy amount of tax revenue, we are greece. we are bankrupt. we can't even remotely pay for what we're planning to spend. >> it feels like let's just take the big, you know, entitlement program of social security. the idea always is kind bankrupt language. but then it's just the reality for wealthy people by about the half -- not even wealthy people. for high-wage earners, by halfway through the year, they're done paying in. all you have to do is just raise that cap. people pay in all year. and we'd be solvent. they wouldn't even particularly
7:19 am
feel it in their households. that doesn't feel like a hard fix to me. >> you could raise the amount of taxes that we're levying. however it's distributed. a huge amount. and it still won't address the problem very much because medicare and medicaid are growing much faster than gdp will ever grow. >> so we just cut the whole -- >> we have to introduce more better incentives in those programs. they have to be moderated. not destroyed, not gutted. but moderated so they're affordable and sustainable. >> -- yet to choose between entitlements or a safety net. it's got to be one. are you going to pay for trump in his retirement, are you going to pay for his kids, or are you going to say i want the less well off -- >> the answer is of course i'm willing to pay for the wealthy in their retirement. they're the ones that are going to go and vote. when you cut loot the poor from the other category, when it is defined, the safety net, than it
7:20 am
is politically viable that by the next election cycle, it's gone. when we come back, i'll ask the question i ask all of my graduate students. why is there no socialism in the u.s.? it's a one-word answer. the cold truth is... [coughing] okay kids, let's go. no one can really fill your shoes when you're sick. [toy car electric motor] [toy car horn beeping] alka-seltzer plus hot drink mix has four cold symptom fighters to relieve your tough symptoms. [whoosh of steam] [deep breath] stay unstoppable. alka-seltzer plus.
7:21 am
(vo) making the most out of every mile. that's why i got a subaru impreza. love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru. where our next arrival is... red carpet whoa! toenail fungus!? fight it! with jublia. jublia is a prescription medicine used to treat toenail fungus. use jublia as instructed by your doctor. are you getting this?! most common side effects include ingrown toenail, application site redness,
7:22 am
itching, swelling, burning or stinging, blisters, and pain. oh, epic moves, big j! fight it! getting ready for your close-up? ask your doctor if jublia is right for you. visit our website for savings on larger size. (vo) wit runs on optimism.un on? it's what sparks ideas. moves the world forward. invest with those who see the world as unstoppable. who have the curiosity to look beyond the expected and the conviction to be in it for the long term. oppenheimerfunds believes that's the right way to invest... ...in this big, bold, beautiful world. it takes a lot of work... but i really love it.s. i'm on the move all day long... and sometimes, i just don't eat the way i should. so i drink boost® to get the nutrition that i'm missing. boost complete nutritional drink has 26 essential vitamins and minerals,
7:23 am
including calcium and vitamin d to support strong bones and 10 grams of protein to help maintain muscle. all with a great taste. i don't plan on slowing down any time soon. stay strong. stay active with boost®. at tuesday's debate, senator bernie sanders said the united states should have a new role model. >> and i think we should look to countries like denmark, like sweden and norway and learn from what they have accomplished for their working people. >> so we see this comparison a lot, that the u.s. is alone, nearly alone, among western democracies and not having universal health care or guaranteed paid parental leave or other perks of a socialist government. the question is why. what makes the u.s. different? the way i tend to frame this to my students is why is there no socialism in the u.s. there's a one-word answer, guy.
7:24 am
>> could it be race? >> could it be? in this country, race and racial privilege has trumped class identity as a way of organizing our politics. >> we could go way back if we're talking about capitalism in the first instance. the whole system globally was built on slavery. the modern economy was built -- was built on cotton which was built on financing, financing slaves. and so from that moment forward, we've been in a discussion about capit capitalism in the united states that has, in fact, sorted people by race. and you can't -- and so when we get back to sort of the public investments that we make in people and that part of democratic socialism that has been challenged and difficult particularly in modern times because, coming out of the great society, coming out of the mid-20th century, we have had a politics that makes those public
7:25 am
investments giveaways to black people. >> my answer to you would have also been history. the colonizationcolonization, r. even if you go back to that scrappy, hard scrabble, we're going to come here and build something and we're going to bring people and treat them as nonpeople, just piling on to that history. we have such a history of -- we can't all be equals because we're not. if you look at denmark, everybody's the same. you look at u, we're just not. you look at our history. it costs us an incredible amount. it's not tied to capitalism as much as people-think. this is true human bias at this point. >> also if you look at denmark, the number two party there, the danish people's party is basically a post-nazi party. they're not accepting syrian refug refugees. it is not a beautiful story about race and, you know, between peoples. and also it's a place that's one of the top 10 or 15 free
7:26 am
economies as measured by heritage foundation, right-wing organizations like that. it's not bernie sanders land. western europe for the most part. the places that are or that tried it, france, three years ago, elected bernie sanders for president, let's just call francois hollande. let's do a millionaires tax. 75%. let's do all this stuff. >> he was serious. you want to meet a socialist, here we go, my friend. >> what happened? they've had to run from those policies screaming because people left. it just backfired. it didn't deliver. the history, race is a huge part of history of this country and sustained in everything. capitalism didn't proceed from a bunch of people saying how can i be the most racist. >> that's not what we're saying. >> i will hit back. >> just don't get in my shot again. >> we're on either side of you.
7:27 am
>> also proceeded from a notion of individual rights and individual liberty. some of the people who helped topple those racist structures that came or were put upon it were animated just as much by that notion of individual -- >> but isn't this -- >> they weren't individuals, right, so we're not saying it's just about race, we're saying those rules, those feelings, didn't apply to everybody. also adding the idea of immigrants. we are a nation of immigrants, right? so that is actually a life blood of this country. if you're allowed. but the bottom line is we're human beings. this is not an economics issue so much as it is bias and fear of resources -- >> but the issue is the way the bias gets -- >> right, exactly. >> which are fixed outside the system, and if racial bias is part of those preferences because of history, right, because we have this long
7:28 am
history, then doesn't it mean that the system must consistently have a corrective, right? so if, in fact, we just have a bias, don't we have to come in and correct that bias, even in order to make a free market system operate? >> we might, but we have to think about how attempts to correct the bias will operate and whether they will be more productive or counterproductive. there are people who are certainly concerned that measures that try to address bias like affirmative action lead to polarization, lead to people feeling angry and accept that they think that something they deserve is being taken away. and yet then people look at them and say, oh, they just got that because of affirmative -- >> but professor, you have to let me weigh in, that nobody needed affirmative action to teach bias against black and brown people. like, that bias is pre-existing and then affirmative action comes and then affirmative action gets used as discourse.
7:29 am
it's kind of like saying, you know, all of a sudden white folks decide to use the "n" word because of hip-hop. no, no, no, they had already known how to use that word. >> they just put an "a" at the end. >> i want to give you some good news about these preferences within our system. when we have preferences against women in this particular capitalism. check this out. the organization, girls who code, is making sure that once the girls get the technical skills, they can get the job. the founder of the program says that 26 companies, including twitter, facebook and microsoft, have pledged to hire alum from girls who code. under the partnership, students in their freshman or sophomore year of college may be offered paid internships that could lead to jobs in the tech industry. it's one of the lowest participation rates when it comes to women but that could all change with efforts like this. next, race, gender and capitalists in our society.
7:30 am
you focus on making great burgers, or building the best houses in town. or becoming the next highly-unlikely dotcom superstar. and us, we'll be right there with you, helping with the questions you need answered to get your brand new business started. we're legalzoom and we've already partnered with over a million new business owners to do just that. check us out today to see how you can become one of them. legalzoom.
7:31 am
legal help is here. my psoriatic arthritis i'm caused joint pain.o golfer. just like my moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis. and i was worried about joint damage. my doctor said joint pain from ra can be a sign of existing joint damage that could only get worse. he prescribed enbrel to help relieve pain and help stop further damage. enbrel may lower your ability to fight infections. serious, sometimes fatal, events including infections, tuberculosis, lymphoma, other cancers, nervous system and blood disorders and allergic reactions have occurred. tell your doctor if you've been someplace where fungal infections are common, or if you're prone to infections, have cuts or sores, have had hepatitis b, have been treated for heart failure, or if you have persistent fever, bruising, bleeding, or paleness. don't start enbrel if you have an infection like the flu. joint pain and damage... can go side by side. ask how enbrel can help relieve joint pain and help stop joint damage. enbrel, the number one rheumatologist-prescribed biologic.
7:32 am
therthat can be serious,ere. even fatal to infants. it's whooping cough, and people can spread it without knowing it. understand the danger your new grandchild faces. talk to your doctor or pharmacist about a whooping cough vaccination today. want bladder leak underwear that try always discreet underwear and wiggle, giggle, swerve and curve. with soft dual leak guard barriers and a discreet fit that hugs your curves. so bladder leaks can feel like no big deal. get your free pair and valuable coupons at always discreet.com
7:33 am
this week, academy award winning actor jennifer lawrence made a big impact in the social media when she wrote in an essay about learning that she was paid less than her male co-stars in the film "american hustle." she attributed the discrepancy to her failure to advocate fully for herself in contract negotiations. adding, quote, i didn't want to seem difficult or spoiled. at the time, that seemed like a fine idea, until i saw the payroll on the internet and realized every man i was working with definitely didn't worry about being difficult or spoiled. also this week, pop star rihanna was asked in an interview if her move from barbados to new york has changed her awareness of race. she responded, when i started to experience the difference or even have my race be highlighted, it was mostly when i would do business deals.
7:34 am
and, you know, that never ends, by the way. it's still a thing. it's the thing that makes me want to prove people wrong. it almost excites me. i know what they're expects and i can't wait to show them that i'm here to exceed those expectations. so i'm wondering what does capitalism do to our biases. does it magnify them or does it make them as you might imagine, kind of make them irrelevant. >> it doesn't make them irrelevant. we've seen it in play in just them in the sense of scale. cut off a couple of zeros, it's the rest of us. it's actually not market friendly. now people are starting to finally realize that women buy stuff, people of color buy stuff, they participate in the economy a lot. so now we're getting more of that. but if you think about who makes the decisions, it doesn't necessarily reflect who's buying, right? it's real capitalism to make sure that what your produce, you get paid for, no matter what
7:35 am
color or what gender you are. that's the essence -- >> so on the one hand, we have the sort of notion of women as workers being paid a wage. cover of "new york times," egg donors what room to name their price, right. so it is in part about the market in third party reproductive technologies. so they're kind of a pure market argument might be, hey, if that's the thing you produce instead of movies, you ought to be able to sell that on whatever marketplace is available. that won't change racial bias. we know it will increase it, right. because we know blonde blue eyed princeton eggs are going for a higher price than other ones. isn't that what it -- isn't this the marketplace, as we expect it to work? >> first of all, the egg donors should be able to sell their damn eggs and should be able to dictate prices. wherever we feel icky about stuff, like organ donations. we allow people to sell their own organs. well, people wouldn't die in the
7:36 am
same numbers we do now. whenever we start to feel icky about stuff, that's when we restrict freedom in a way that's unhelpful. i think you're absolutely right. in terms of, you know, when discrimination happens in a marketplace, that is a wonderful opportunity for someone else, to eat someone else's lunch. there's all this untapped talent. someone who manages talent. if there are people wide spread in the journalism industry who are being bad to women who are child rearing age, okay, i'll be good. you get to have -- >> but the threat -- yeah, go ahead. >> there's separate conversations. there's the question about individuals in the marketplace and how they behave and what they do to get theirs, right. that end there's the question about the ways our activity is about profiting from inequity. that's a separate conversation and one we have to police publicly. and so this is why we started -- why i started with slavery earlier earlier, we have been profiting off an equity for a very long time.
7:37 am
whether the housing market, hollywood, egg donors. it's the profiting off of racial and gender inequity that's a problem and requires a public solution that is policing that profit. >> it does feel like it requires a greater push back the other way when it is against the sort of profit motivation. the walmart example this week is important because you say, okay, if you have a marketplace where you need good workers and now you can -- if i step in and pay my workers more this ought to provide me the space as an employer to do better, but that's not what happened. walmart basically got punished, you know, in the markets as a result of its decisions this week. >> i want to push the point that capitalism overall is helping to reduce these inequities. it's pushing back against discrimination. it's helping exactly the groups we're concerned about. one example is unions. government protected unions were a huge force of discrimination. they wanted a higher wage. they wanted to keep some people out of the union. who do they keep out?
7:38 am
they kept out african-americans. aided and abetted by the federal government rules that allowed them to do that. >> but the union story, that's fascinating. if you look at the map about where we're unionized, it actually is in the former confederacy where we have the lowest rate of unions. most folks have read that as a kind of story that race trumped class as an identity for political organizing. in the context of unions themselves, there's been a ton of -- both of those things are true at the same time. like ki was saying, that's the story, that's the united states. >> that's the big story. that's the context of the 20th century. all of our versions of investment in the 20th century, whether it was in the labor music, whether it was in public, wherever it was at, it was discriminatory. it actively left out black people and actively left out women. so we have worked on that over
7:39 am
the years. i don't know we can ascribe that to capitalism as much as we can to politics and political movements that have insisted upon changing the rules of the game, whether it be in government or the marketplace. and so we must -- so that is the answer. the answer is not this -- not some magical outside thing. it's our politics that say these are the rules of all of these things. and we must ensure there's not profiting off an inequity within these system judges my response is yes, these biases exist. they've come from many sources for a long time. but there are forces which push back. profit maximizing businessmen want to hire the cheapest labor. if they restrict themselves to only hiring whites, only hiring men, they're costing themselves more. government policies that interfered with that just basic capitalist tendency are going to make things worse, not better. different example. drug testing. people thought if we allow
7:40 am
employers to drug test widely, they would discriminate, it would be bad for african-americans because african-americans use drugs as much higher rates. turns out not to be true. when they were allowed in the states that did it, they found employment of african-americans and their wages went up because the tests revealed in fact african-americans weren't using -- >> also the drug testing sucks unless you're a truck driver. >> this is our moral -- i just don't want to miss this point. i know my producer's screaming at me about time. this idea that like green will trump race. but like the marketplace can help to correct for this. i guess the problem is that once there's a preference that is strongly against people of color, then actually choosing to have a market that is open to them can actually reduce the number then of white consumers who will come. and that was true in the whole context of the desegregation of lunch counters.
7:41 am
it's even true in the vote, right? if you become the party that represents people of color, you'll actually see an exodus of white voters. i hear you how it ought to work if there is no bias. if there is bias, you have to correct it somehow. apparently, what we're going to talk about next is what joe biden is doing right now. the vice president and his travails after the break. can a business have a mind? a subconscious. a knack for predicting the future. reflexes faster than the speed of thought.
7:42 am
can a business have a spirit? can a business have a soul? can a business be...alive? at ally bank no branches equals great rates. it's a fact. kind of like playing the boss equals the boss wins. wow! when you're not confident your company's data is secure, the possibility of a breach can quickly become the only thing you think about.
7:43 am
that's where at&t can help. at at&t we monitor our network traffic so we can see things others can't. mitigating risks across your business. leaving you free to focus on what matters most. well, well. if it isn't the belle of the ball. gentlemen. you look well. what's new, flo? well, a name your price tool went missing last week. name your what, now?
7:44 am
it gives you coverage options based on your budget. i just hope whoever stole it knows that it only works at progressive.com. so, you can't use it to just buy stuff? no. i'm sorry, gustav. we have to go back to the pet store. [ gustav squawks ] he's gonna meet us there. the name your price tool. still only at progressive.com. here is one thing we know for sure about vice president joe biden. tonight, he's scheduled to be in new york city to receive a human rights award. ript around here, in fact, in midmidtown manhattan. come on, that's not what everybody wants to know about the vp. they want to know if he'll make the move to ditch that "v." nbc white house correspondent kristen welker, what do you know now? >> not a whole lot, but look, the vice president isn't giving us any kind of signs today.
7:45 am
he's attending his granddaughter's cross country meet. sources close to the vice president tell me we could get an answer within the next 48 hours. he's under intense scrutiny as you know and pressure to say whether he's in or out. those sources also tell me that biden's family is on board with a run. he's now calling supporters in early voting states to gauge whether he actually has a path to win. on friday, biden's close alley, former delaware senator kaufman sent a letter to former biden staffers which reads in part, we will need each and every one of you yesterday. that got a lot of people talking. we think the letter was actually designed to send a signal. biden wants a little more space to decide and, also, he wants to tell his support s, look, the door hasn't closed yet. hillary clinton supporters are trying to apply pressure, saying this is just too late. clinton showing new signs of strength after the dominant debate performance. one poll shows her inching up in
7:46 am
new hampshire. bernie sanders had been topping her in new hampshire. the new survey shows clinton has a commanding lead nash', double digits. president obama weighed in on friday. take a listen. >> i'm not going to comment on what joe's doing or not doing, i think you can direct those questions to my very able vice president. i think that the vice president, like every other candidate, makes their decisions. they'll have to figure out whether it makes sense for them. >> secretary clinton was asked about this on friday. she said biden should have the space to decide. privately, based on my conversations here at the white house, officials believe it is time for the vice president to make a final decision. now, some of the reasons that biden is struggling, he's always wanted to run for president. he knows this would be his last shot. and of course his late son beau urged him to run before he passed away.
7:47 am
those who know him say the biggest determining factor is whether he thinks he can actually win. >> thank you to nbc's kristen welker. i hope you get the answer first because i've seen you out there, screaming, hollering, asking over and over again. >> i've been trying, thank you. >> thanks. up next, how the supreme court could change everything for minors sent to prison for life. ? ? easy. building them all in four and a half months? now that was a leap. i was calling in every favor i could, to track down enough lumber to get the job done. and i knew i could rely on american express to help me buy those building materials. there are always going to be unknowns. you just have to be ready for them. another step on the journey... will you be ready when growth presents itself? realize your buying power at open.com
7:48 am
you can't breathed. through your nose. suddenly, you're a mouthbreather. well, just put on a breathe right strip which instantly opens your nose up to 38% more than cold medicine alone.
7:49 am
shut your mouth and say goodnight mouthbreathers. breathe right ♪ don't just eat. mangia! bertolli.
7:50 am
the chances for comprehensive criminal justice reform may never be better than right now. it's been championed by leaders in both political parties. it was a key issue at this week's democratic presidential debate. this morning, in his weekly address, president obama announced that in the coming weeks, he will travel the country to meet with those working to reform the criminal justice system. >> justice means that the punishment should fit the crime. and justice means allowing our fellow americans who have made mistakes to pay their debt to society and rejoin their
7:51 am
community as being active rehabilitated citizens. >> what about those who need real changes now? that was the question before the supreme court this week. in 2012, the court banned mandatory sentences of life without parole for juveniles convicted of human. on tuesday, justices heard arguments on whether that ruling should be applied retroactively. at the center of the latest case, a man named henry montgomery who was 17 years old when he shot and killed a louisiana sheriff's deputy in 1963. montgomery was playing hooky from school and the officer was assigned to round up the truants. montgomery told authorities he kind mean to kill the officer but panicked. the attorneys argued montgomery had develop mental disabilities and did not fully understand what he was doing. but he still received the mandatory minimum of life without parole. and today, montgomery is 69 years old and has spent the last 52 years at the louisiana state penitentiary.
7:52 am
the outcome of his case could have huge implications. like trina garnet who was 14 years old and developmentally disabled when she set a fire that killed two people in pennsylvania nearly 40 years ago. and this man who was 14 when he got into a scuffle with his stepbrother and stabbed him to death 12 years ago. nearly 2,000 other prisoners serving mandatory sbss for crimes committed when they were still children. joining me is joshua perry, direct of the louisiana center for children's rights. so what has been the effect of the court's 2012 decision? i know it doesn't impact these folks who are currently in prison but what has been its impact over the last few years? >> well, what it means for young people who are facing the most serious penalty that the law has to offer them, short of the death penalty, is that they have a chance to prove that they are amenable to rehabilitation and
7:53 am
change, and that's true when we think of brain science and it's true when we think of what we know about who we were when we were kids and the kids who we know. 14-year-olds, 15-year-olds, they're uniquely amenable and susceptible to change. they lack culpability. so this recognizes that kids are different and we have to treat them differently in the justice system. >> on this question of kind of the retrospective aspect kind of being decided. the case i told about montgom y montgomery, this is something that happened in louisiana in 1963. he's now spent 52 years in jail. it does also call into question, like, how just our justice system was. particularly when we push back 40 and 50 years. >> that's right. montgomery is about whether we should have a level playing field across the country for everybody. right now, there are states where it's being treated retroactively.
7:54 am
there's a minority of states like louisiana where 300 men or women similarly situated to henry montgomery are trapped in prison without even the possibility of demonstrating that they have changed, that they're different people, that they've developed in positive ways. so what we were arguing with montgomery is there should be a level playing field across the country for every person who is situated like henry montgomery. >> one of the things the president highlighted in his recent speech at the congressional black caucus is these new data showing that girls who end up in the criminal justice system often are themselves survivors of sexual assault. we also know boys who are in the system have often themselves also been victimized. i guess we wonder sort of how do we deal with that? once you've committed the crime of murder, we need to hold you accountable for that, but also recognizing that young people who are survivors of various kinds of violence and assault, you know, there may be culpability that goes beyond them. >> that's right. we need to hold people
7:55 am
accountable when they commit serious offenses. but children need to be held accountable in age appropriate ways, in ways that will keep us safer as a community and that it acknowledges that young people are uniquely able to change and develop in positive ways. yes, it's true. girls who fall into the juvenile justice system and the criminal justice system are highly likely to have been victimized. boys are highly likely to have been subjected to trauma. they're disproportionally likely to suffer from mental illness. i've represented children being prosecuted as adults who have iqs as low as 42. we have children who are brought to where they are through circumstances over which they have no control. and that's another critical way in which kids are different than adults. so frequently, they can't separate themselves from the social context they come up in. in new orleans, one out of five boys and girls in middle school have personally witnessed a
7:56 am
murder. so they're subjected to trauma and violence on a level that i think is hard for a lot of people to understand. but justice and i listened to the president's clip. i think he's right. justice also means responding to people in ways that are age appropriate and that take their context into account. >> i want to say thank you to joshua perry in new orleans. i know it's tough work. this is maybe a moment of opening where there's a lot happening within the context of criminal justice reform. and here in new york, i want to say thank you to carmen rita wong and jeffrey myron. i hope you two will come back soon. matt and ki will stick around in our next hour. because still to come this morning, schools across an entire state are at risk of closing. up next, the president's decision on u.s. troops in afghanistan and what knowns for his foreign policy legacy. whatever you're doing, plan well and enjoy life... ♪ or, as we say at unitedhealthcare insurance company, go long. of course, how you plan is up to you. take healthcare. make sure you're covered for more than what just medicare pays...
7:57 am
consider an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company... the only medicare supplement plans that carry the aarp name, and the ones that millions of people trust year after year. it's about having the coverage you need... plan well. enjoy life. go long. everything kids touch during cold and flu season sticks with them. make sure the germs they bring home don't stick around. use clorox disinfecting products. because no one kills germs better than clorox.
7:58 am
only glucerna has carbsteady, diabetes, steady is exciting. clinically proven to help minimize blood sugar spikes. so you stay steady ahead.
7:59 am
one of the country's biggesties financial services firms? or 13,000 financial advisors who say thank you? it's why edward jones is the big company that doesn't act that way. welcome back. i'm melissa harris perry. in 2012, as president was running for re-election, he made
8:00 am
the case to american voter it is, pointing out not only the achievements, but also his legacy he hoped to cement if he was given another four years on the job. that legacy on foreign policy included the fulfillment of the plan he laid out during a televised address from bagram air base in afghanistan in may of 2012. >> i'd like to tell you how we will complete our mission and end the war in afghanistan. our troops will be coming home. last year, we removed 10,000 u.s. troops from afghanistan. another 23,000 will leave by the end of the summer. after that, reductions will continue at a steady pace with more and more of our troops coming home. and as our coalition agreed, by the end of 2014, the afghans will be fully responsible for the security of their country. >> two years into his second term, new developments in the official u.s. policy in
8:01 am
afghanistan suggested that president obama was delivering on that pledge. in june of 2013 afghan forces assumed control of their country from the nato coalition. a year later, the president gave this update on his plan to withdraw american troops. >> at the beginning of 2015, we will have approximately 9,800, 9,800, u.s. service members in different parts of the country. together with our nato allies and other partners. by the end of 2015, we will have reduced that presence by roughly half. one year later, by the end of 2016, our military will draw down to a normal embassy presence in kabul. >> according to the president's plan, by the start of 2017, the small force of about 1,000 troops at the american embassy in kabul would be all that
8:02 am
remained of the u.s. military presence in afghanistan. down from more than 100,000 at the peak of u.s. war time involvement back in 2011. then, just a few months later, in december of 2014, the president announced the official end of the u.s. combat mission in afghanistan. the fatz phased drawdown of u.s. troops would continue. and the new mission, the 10,000 american soldiers in the country would shift from active combat to support role to afghan security forces in their fight against the taliban. even as the official u.s. policy in afghanistan signaled the beginning of the end of the war that had dragged on for more than a decade and through two presidential administrations, the reality of what was happening on the ground in afghanistan told a very different story. just a month before the president announced the end of u.s. combat in afghanistan, "the new york times" reported that he authorized american forces to carry out missions that could, in fact, put them in direct
8:03 am
combat against the taliban and it was clear that afghan forces would bear limited resources and intelligence gathering capabilities. the afghan people, 2014, had been the bloodiest year since the war began. more than 5,000 members of the afghan security forces were killed. and the united nations recorded more than 10,000 civilian casualties in 2014 alone. most of those deaths were caused by the taliban. which continued pressing its insurgency with an increasing number of attacks. by march of this year, the obama administration, recognizing both the intensifying challenges on the ground in afghanistan and the potential for isis to gain a foothold in the conflict, had made its first major shift in the president's time line for withdraw withdrawal. at the request of afghanistan's new leadership, the 10,000 troops in the country would remain through the end of 2015. instead of the reduction by half, as the president initially announced. yet, while the new policy
8:04 am
signaled a slowdown of president obama's schedule for troops to leave afghanistan, as of march, the 2016 deadline for the complete withdrawal was still on track. that all changed this week when the president made news that this update about the future of u.s. military involvement in the country. >> i've decided to maintain our current posture of troops in afghanistan through most of next year, 2016. second, i've decided instead of going down to a normal embassy presence in kabul by the end of 2016, we will maintain 5,500 troops at a small number of bases. >> president said his decision was based on ongoing assessments on the situation on the ground in afghanistan. still, afghan forces are not as strong as they needed to be. according to the united nations, has now extended its reach throughout afghanistan. so much so that at any point
8:05 am
since the war began in 2001. this week's announcement represents not only a major shift in u.s. policy in afghanistan, but an even more significant rewriting of president obama's legacy. the president who aspired to be a peacemaker in an age of endless war, is now a president who will follow in the foot steps of his predecessor, in the extent that he is leaving the inheritance of america's longest war in the hands of america's next president. joining me now is matt welch, editor and chief of reason magazine. nina, who is professor of international affairs at the new school. ki write, features editor at the nation, and noah scheckman, executive editor at the daily beast. okay, should i be praising this president, who looks at a changing world, makes a new assessment, and therefore makes new decisions? or is this a failure of the president's sort of promise to get us out? >> i think it's neither praising the president, neither it's a
8:06 am
failure. i think it was -- it's a foreign policy decision that is probably very, very necessary. and in some ways, was almost prepared. because we've heard already that things like that might happen. there's a question of iraq, whether the troops should have been withdrawn when they were withdrawn. so in some ways, it doesn't come as a great surprise. it just comes as a little shift or big shift in foreign policy. the question is, what is the executive exit strategy, do they have one, and whether almost 10,000 troops would be enough to maintain the current status, which is already very, very prolow matic. so it's either going to prolong the war or save the the war. >> when you bring up the context, the really important way of thinking about it. but this conversation about iraq, part of what i keep wondering is how powerfully the recent developments in iraq are weighing on the way the president's making this decision
8:07 am
in the could be text of afghanistan. >> i think it sort of reinforced a narrative already. just to take a step back. when obama announced we were going to pull out forces from afghanistan, basically nobody in the pentagon believed it, okay. like, it seemed like a political decision. it doesn't seem like a military driven decision. the president always gave himself outs as he was making those announcements. even this announcement, to bring down from 9,800 troops, i bet it doesn't happen. you'll see 10,000 troops more or less in a hillary clinton or rubio presidency. >> whoa, sir, just pause. we're not saying all of it except the little end part for a second. your point here about sort of that folks didn't even particularly see it that way. i want to listen. the president was asked in part did he see this as disappointing. i'd like to play the president's response and have you respond to it, ki. >> this decision's not disappointing.
8:08 am
continually, my goal has been to make sure that we give every opportunity for afghanistan to succeed, while we're still making sure we're meeting our core missions. and as i've continually said, my approach is i need to assess the situation on the ground, figure out what's working, figure out what's not working, make adjustments where necessary. this isn't the first time those adjustments have been made. this probably won't be the last. >> he was aspirational in his peacemaking. it's got to be disappointing, right? >> you can't see it as anything other than disappointing that a third president is going to be leading this war. for whatever else is true, that's a disappointing fact about america. >> disappointing fact about america or disappointing fact about the realities of afghanistan? >> well, both. we also have the disappointing
8:09 am
realities of our war making. and the fact that there is a blank check for the president to continue these wars, is part of the problem. also on the question of the president's peacemaking legacy, we do also have to remember the iran deal, we have to remember cuba. these are important things that have happened in terms of making -- in terms of coming to peaceful solutions to conflict that involve the united states. i think we need to remember those things. >> when you see the president engaging in that way, when you see him talking about the iranian deal, when you see him talking about opening up cuba, you get a sense, this is how the president would like to be engaging the world. and it feels very different. again, he's saying i'm not disappointing. but there is a kind of difference in the president obama who has to continue the war. >> i think there's a reason why so many people feel just sort of unsatisfied. whether they're hostile or not hostile to the president about foreign policy.
8:10 am
he gave a speech the other week that was an interesting foreign policy speech in which he basically said america is not omnipotent. we can't put our thumb everywhere and dictate outcomes. it's a thing republicans of course when they're in opposite can't stand to hear. they puf out their chests and make no proposals about what they do differently except be tougher. but he's unwilling to follow that logic all the way through. the fact is, the facts on the ground in afghanistan are intolerable in that we are seeing hills, towns, that americans died for, going back to the taliban right now. the logic of it is, are we going to stay there forever. he says we're going to meet our core missions and objectives. that's mushy talk for i'm afraid to follow through on the logic, which is this country is screwed. us occupying it is not going to solve their long-term problems. and ultimately, we're going to make that decision, who's going to be the last person to die for a mistake, the john kerry
8:11 am
formula. >> okay, maybe. i know correlation and causation is not the same thing but when you look at the u.s. military presence, it really does tick down during the obama years in afghanistan. so it's coming down, coming down. >> if you have the surge. >> because he's like, this is the right war, iraq is the dumb war. so it surges, then ticks down. if you look at civilian casua y casualties, they go the exact opposite direction. on top of that, then the curve goes up this way. again, not that one causes the other, but it's got to be if you're living on the ground in afghanistan, that reduction of troops is correlated with this increase. >> southeast assuia was not a pleasant place to be after america left. >> where a lot of these people coming to afghanistan to create havoc are hiding. >> the foreign minister of pakistan is coming to the white house this week.
8:12 am
>> they will be finally conversation. saying why all these people like osama bin laden are hiding in your place, what's the deal there. that's foreign policy. whether you get out of the war or come into the war, that's a separate question. the question is what is the foreign policy. >> if there's a -- i hear you, who's the last person to die. i understand that. especially sort of informed by our experience in vietnam. on the other hand, i wonder about the sense of responsibility that a nation takes when you break something, right? >> right, absolutely. there's that famous colin powell pottery barn analogy about if you break it, you buy it. i think the tough part in that is, yeah, it's true, nobody wants to have the last american to die for this place that seems not to be in our interest. the problem is we've seen this before. we know what happens when we
8:13 am
pull out of afghanistan, right? we know we're going to see a takeover of some people we don't really like and it can be a breeding ground for terrorism. similarly in iraq, we pulled out of there and honestly, i mean, most military assessments if we had left those 10,000 troops there, the chances that isis would be running wild in iraq would be much, much, much lower. >> when we come back, want to talk a little bit about the politics of it. if you're running for the nomination of the democratic republican party. what do you do with this data for the rest of the campaign. if a denture were to be
8:14 am
8:15 am
put under a microscope, we can see all the bacteria that still exists. polident's unique micro clean formula works in just 3 minutes, killing 99.99% of odor causing bacteria. for a cleaner, fresher, brighter denture every day.
8:16 am
mark must always lead on the world stage. if we don't, no one else will. the military that you have joined is and always will be the
8:17 am
backbone of that leadership. but u.s. military action cannot be the only or even primary component of our leadership in every instance. just because we have the best hammer does not mean that every problem is a nail. >> that was president obama last may at west point laying out his foreign policy doctrine. you get a since that's what he wants. he wants to be able to wrap it up at the end of the term and say, yes, see, not everything is a nail. here he is having to swing the hammer again. >> yeah, absolutely. just to carry the analogy a little further, if you don't nail down every part of the house, right it can fall over. i think that's kind of what happened here. the obama administration really wanted this war on terror over for perfectly understandable reasons. it had gone on for years and years and years. they're like, okay, iraq, done. afghanistan, done. pull it back.
8:18 am
and then we've sort of seen what happened in the interim, unfortunately. >> if you are hillary clinton in this moment and you're running, you've been secretary of state in this administration, is this news about afghanistan this week generally welcome news? are you like, okay, now i get to show my toughness? is it news you figure actually won't impact the election because 10,000 troops really probably throughout four southern states aren't actually going to swing the presidential election? i just sort of wonder what this looks like. >> the future of -- >> sorry. >> if you're joe biden, it might be an interesting conversation for you. the place where he can distinguish himself from clinton is on foreign policy, in particular, on afghanistan. so if you're him, you're thinking, okay, maybe i have a race after all. >> he's certainly standing there right behind the president during the moment the president's announcing this. you get a sense of both his seriousness. but that the whole administration is not happy with
8:19 am
this having to happen. >> well, they can't be, because they have to -- they do look flip-floppy a little bit. everybody in american politics is always afraid to be a flip-flopper. hillary clinton already went out and said, well, there was an expectable decision. she spoke at the new school this summer where she slightly mentioned she spoke to the council of foreign relations. i think she's already preparing herself for that long war. but also distinguishing herself, saying, i will have an exit strategy. if we have to stay there longer, we will. but for a good cause. >> she's super comfortable with being a codemocratic hawk. she actually spends one minute defending libya as a great policy success. i don't know how you wrap your mind around that at all. she spent time talking about how edward snowden, saying -- >> serious about that. >> she's going to stand up to
8:20 am
putin. everyone who's out of power has a lot of unrealistic ideas about what they might do and that are also vague. she's comfortable with it. democrats are not punishing her in any way to the extent they disagree with that hawkishness. >> i wonder as well for all of the impulse clearly on the republican side to put in a novice, right, everybody who's currently leading is somebody who's not part of the political system now. if that goes away, if we have a sense of that exteistential thrt of war. do you want trump or carson as commander and chief? >> i don't think any of the democratic fields, i don't think anybody in the pentagon, sees afghanistan as the central issue. look, let me tell you something, talking to folks at the pentagon, here's the order of things they care about. russia, isis, sort of co-number one. maybe al qaeda. 17 other things. china and then afghanistan's
8:21 am
somewhere down here. and so -- >> it's more symbolic, this afghanistan move. >> exactly. >> as a political matter. >> that's exactly right. that's terrible. 10,000 american troops. 10,000 civilian casualties. we should be caring a lot more about. unfortunately, that's the reality both in the military and i think in the political -- >> so if russia is at the top, do you want trump? if putin is your biggest problem? >> with russia at the top, you do want trump. >> yes, that's what i'm saying. because he's sort of -- >> there you do want trump because trump tower in the red square has been trump's dream for 25 years. >> and they're both, like, ripping off their shirt. you can see the whole thing. >> riding horses. >> yes, riding horses. >> however, i think that is actually -- that says it all because if that's the priority of the administration, russia is on the top you want to make an enemy out of putin when you can have numerously more dangerous enemies brooding and creating
8:22 am
themselves, just out of nothing. or a lot on war on terror? that's the problem. the priorities are completely very wrong. >> why is putin on the top? >> why is putin on the top? there's been a change in russian military doctrine that says that actually a first strike in the tactical situation might actually be the case. there's the prowess they've shown in ukraine. there's the prowess they've shown in syria. there's a real sense that unfortunately, you know, the russians are kind of on the march to cold warrish. there's a real sense that russia is reemerging as a global competitor to the u.s. in a major way. >> that is kind a problem because, you know, if you treat russia as a parallel country, that's one thing. but if you actually want to fight with russia because it suddenly is a competitor, that's a problem with your foreign policy. i think then your priorities are
8:23 am
wrong. >> there's a great many things in the world that we need russia to resolve. we are going to have to -- we're going to have to work with russia to resolve a great many of these things in the end. >> are you thinking mr. trump is the one to do that? >> i think mr. trump with his shirt off in particular. >> in red scare. >> i just threw up in my mouth. >> in red square riding horses together. >> i will say, it suddenly -- you put that thing on the table earlier i was trying to ignore. as a matter of politics, there is a way in which marco rubio, if that becomes the narrative of the campaign, if it is about who can manage putin and who can address syria and who can do something about these troops, if you are marco rubio, that makes that pathway a little harder. >> rubio is very, very fluent on these issues. he's a hawk's hawk. he's very much a neo conservative. he understands and talks a lot with fluency about the world there that's more convincing than, say, carly fiorina
8:24 am
memorizing the number of battleships. >> it has been and is going to be about the economy. we've been in the state of permanent war. people are used to it. >> to have all of this nuance on foreign policy. thank you. you can't come back and say president rubio at my table. why students in one state may be forced to stay home for weeks. up next, live to jerusalem. the latest round of violence in israel continues this morning. when you're not confident your company's data is secure, the possibility of a breach can quickly become the only thing you think about. that's where at&t can help. at at&t we monitor our network traffic so we can see things others can't. mitigating risks across your business.
8:25 am
leaving you free to focus on what matters most.
8:26 am
8:27 am
iflike i love shrimp, come to red lobster's endless shrimp... ...for as much as you want, any way you want it... sweet, buttery, and creamy. like new pineapple habanero coconut shrimp bites... ...and teriyaki grilled shrimp. and yeah, it's endless, but it won't last forever. their new attempted stabbing attacks this morning in the occupied west bank and east jerusalem. a palestinian was shot dead after trying to stab an israeli. joining me now from jerusalem, nbc's bill neely. what else can you tell us?
8:28 am
about these new reports of violence? >> yes, good morning, melissa. no letup in the violence here. sadly, three attempted murders, stabbings. as they say, three dead palestinians. all of them teenagers. in jerusalem, a 16-year-old was stopped by a police patrol. they asked for his i.d. th he handed over his i.d., pulled out a knife and tried to stab the soldier. he was shot before he could actually make contact. then in hebron, two incidents. in one of them, an 18-year-old was shot dead after he pulled a knife on a civilian, on a street. it was actually the civilian who had a gun. he shot his attacker. and then a 16-year-old girl approached a policewoman and asked her directions, then pulled out a knife and tried to stab her in the neck according to the policewoman who had a gun and, again, shot her assailant. so three more dead palestinians. and some fairly shocking images
8:29 am
have emerged of another attack and just a warning, you may find some of these photographs quite graphic. they show a palestinian attacker chasing a soldier and then using his knife, which is clearly visible, to stab the soldier after he wrestled him to the ground. the other soldiers opened fire on the palestinian. he was killed. the injured soldier is recovering in the hospital. so no letup in these attacks. it's really difficult for the police and, indeed, israeli intelligence, to work out where they're coming from next. most of these attackers, as i say, are teenagers from east jerusalem. they carry israeli i.d. cards so they're free to move around. they often speak pretty fluent hebrew. they've got no criminal or terrorist record. and they strike at random. so for police and everyone involved here, it really is difficult to work out where the next attack is coming from. so far, since those attacks this morning, none this afternoon. but this daily cycle of violence
8:30 am
just keeps spinning. no end in sight, melissa. >> thank you to nbc's bill neely in jerusalem. up next, the chicago kickback scandal. >> i apologize to them. they deserved much more. much more than i gave to them. doc, i need you on point for this one. already got the latest updates direct from ford engineering. 'cause ford dealers get that intel first. treads, what do you got? lookin' a little bald, sir. with all due respect. got the perfect fit- ready to roll. wheels up, flaps down, let's fly. ford parts. ford tools. ford techs. when your ford needs service, there's one elite team. these are the specialists. at ford. with their airline credit card miles. sometimes those seats cost a ridiculous number of miles... or there's a fee to use them.
8:31 am
i know. it's so frustrating. they'd be a lot happier with the capital one venture card. and you would, too! why? it's so easy with venture. you earn unlimited double miles on every purchase, every day. just book any flight you want then use your miles to cover the cost. now, that's more like it. what's in your wallet?
8:32 am
♪ everything kids touch during cold and flu season sticks with them. make sure the germs they bring home don't stick around. use clorox disinfecting products.
8:33 am
because no one kills germs better than clorox. for many chicago children, getting to school is a dangerous task. last month, the city suffered more than 60 homicides. the deadliest september in the city since 2002. and more than 2,400 people have been shot already this year in chicago. many of them school aged children. the situation is so extreme that the midwest coalition for human rights appealed to the united nations to investigate the dangers faced by students as a potential human rights violation.
8:34 am
president obama made reference to the violence on the day his secretary of education, arne duncan who is from chicago, stepped down. duncan's resignation happened to come on the heels of the mass shooting at oregon's umpqua community college. >> i'm deeply saddened about what happened yesterday, but arnie's going back to chicago. let's not forget this is happening every single day. in forgotten neighborhoods around the country. every single day. kids are just running for their lives trying to get to school. >> running for their lives trying to get to school. it's worth noting in chicago getting to school for many young people recently has been made more difficult. in 2013, chicago was home to the nation's largest ever one-time school closure. the person in charge at the time was barbara bird bennett, ceo of
8:35 am
the chicago public schools, who this week made clear what her priorities were while running the country's third largest public school system. it's fair to say it wasn't her students. after being indicted open charges of corruption and fraud, bird bennett, who resigned earlier this year, pleaded guilty tuesday to one count of wire fraud for agreeing to get the school system to award her former employer $23 million worth of no bid contracts. in exchange, soups academy, the consulting firm bird bennett once worked for, would award her $2.3 million in kickbacks. after she left her post as ceo of the public school system. bird bennett who faces up to 7 1/2 years in prison, apologized to the students of chicago's public schools. >> i am terribly sorry. and i apologize to them. they deserved much more. much more than i gave to them. >> she also released a statement tuesday. saying there is nobody to blame
8:36 am
but me. and my failings could not have come at a time of greater challenges for cps, chicago public schools. the former educator did leave the chicago school system at a time of turmoil. in her first year as ceo, the board of education shut down 49 elementary schools, sending thousands of students to unfamiliar classrooms. the chicago public school system is also in debt. it owes an astounding $6.2 billion and rating agencies have called cps's financial status precarious. in an effort to save up to $140 million per year, the district, which has seen its fair shake of teacher strikes, has been in a battle with teachers over pensions. but bird bennett is not the only one to blame for the challenges of chicago public schools. or for the bribery scandal she's involved in. her guilty plea and her apology do not absolve the system that
8:37 am
enabled this corruption. it was rayer emanuel who picked her to lead the public school system reportedly at the request of gary salomon. salomon, his partner, and the two companies they ran were also charged in the bribery scheme. they both pleaded not guilty. let's be clear about one thing. the inquiry here cannot stop with the alleged kickback scheme. the inquiry has to be about the entire broken system. we must question everything that has happened with chicago public schools these past few years. the shutdowns. the replacement of students. the pension battles. when the people responsible for the well being of 400,000 children, predominantly black and latino children, make clear their primary motivation is to line their own pockets, we have
8:38 am
to question the entire system. especially when, as the president said, the children they are meant to serve are just running for their lives trying to get to school. rward fast eno? everywhere you look, it strategy is now business strategy. and a partnership with hp can help you accelerate down a path created by people, technology and ideas. to move your company from what it is now... to what it needs to become.
8:39 am
8:40 am
8:41 am
the state of pennsylvania is facing a crisis. a statewide budget holdup might keep thousands of kids home from school for up to two weeks. the pennsylvania legislature has been at a standstill on its budget since the agreement was due june 30. if legislators cannot agree by the end of the month, districts will have lost $3 billion in state aid. now, the prolonged debate over the state budget has forced at least 17 pennsylvania school districts, primarily in philadelphia, to borrow money just to keep the lights on and the doors open. in total, the districts have borrowed more than $346 million and more than 2 dozen have been unable to pay tuition for charter schools.
8:42 am
the erie school district which already owed $9 million in late payments to vendors is hit particularly hard by the budget standstill. the district is preparing for the possibility of sending its 12,000 students home starting november 1st if the state budget is not settled. joining me now from pittsburgh, pennsylvania, is the father of a student in erie public school and board member at the partnership for erie public schools, an advisory board member at central tech high school. nice to have you this morning, sir. >> thank you very much, melissa, nice to see you this morning. >> so talk to me both about how you feel and how other parents in the school may feel about the possibility that your children may not be able to go to school in two weeks. >> well, i will tell you this is a serious problem within our community. so many of our parents in our community are worried about what happens when or if the school were to close and they would have to turn to finding child
8:43 am
support. a place for their kids to go during the day while they worked. this is a very poor community. 80% of our kids live in poverty. the entire school district, the entire school district is on free lunch. so this impacts our community in a terrible way. when our legislators cannot agree on a budget. it's been three months now. >> you know, i'm wondering if you're talking to your children about this and about this possibility. because, you know, this point that this is a place where young people are actually getting their meals. if it's a school system where everyone's on free and reduced lunch, if the schools close, does that also mean these kids go hungry? >> you know, it does. that's something that's missed in the conversation. the erie -- erie's public schools fed children over 150,000 breakfast meals and over
8:44 am
250,000 lunch meals. we've only received $50,000 from the state. if the doors were to close, many of these students would go hungry because this essentially when they come to school, this may be their only meals. so we are in a situation where the district has made a decision to attempt to borrow $30 million. which, by and large, which cost the district $140,000. that's the salary of two teachers. so this situation is really gone out of control. >> and this is basically a political fight, right. i guess i just feel like you elect your legislatures, you elect your governor. one is from the democratic side, one from the republican side. but the idea that kids, you know, they don't have a party, they don't have a set of ideologies. shouldn't they be at the forefront of these decisions?
8:45 am
>> they should be at the forefront. i don't see this as -- it is a power struggle in the state. you have a democratic governor. you have a republican-controlled legislative body. it's the same thing we see at the federal level. i don't, you know, i have no faith myself in the political system. there are some lawmakers that are trying to move the issue forward. but at the end of the day, really, the conversation has to be about the students. and the students are affected. i'd like to read something to you. >> sure. >> one child sent this to her superintendant. sh she says, me and my friends are going to raise money for our school. so far we have raised $20 but we look to get more. i love grover cleveland, the school that she went to. that was a fifth grader. a sixth grader, she wrote, i don't want you to lose your job or any of the other teachers. now, this doesn't pull on the
8:46 am
heartstrings for anyone, much less a politician, and if it doesn't -- if it's not able, something like this isn't able to move the ball forward, i don't know what will. >> it's one thing to have a bake sale for band uniforms or something, bub the idea that these kids are so worried about losing their school that they're raising $20 to try to keep the school open, that just does not seem like it should be happening in our country. >> well, i will tell you that our community -- again, we have serious social economic problems. we had a spat of violence over the summer. most recent, seven children shot. two children, children, murdered. and now the children are going back to school. and going to a school -- when they go to school, this is something that's normal for them. this may be the -- the only normal thing for them. now, they're going back to school. now they have to worry about, you know, not being able to go to school. education is -- >> i was going to say, we know if they're home, they're much
8:47 am
more likely to be in circumstances of danger, especially if there is violence in the communities. i really do hope, not only on the heart strings but political strings. i read at least one commentary that says don't worry, sports will save us. if the football team doesn't suit up on friday night. but this is just, it's too much. i really appreciate mr. dwayne klekly in pittsburgh, pennsylvania, for joining us. i appreciate your time. up next, our foot soldier of the week. that detergent was like half the price! and we'll have to use like double! maybe more! i'm going back to the store? yes you are. dish issues? get cascade complete. one pac cleans tough food better than 6 pacs of the bargain brand combined. cascade. now that's clean. only glucerna has carbsteady, diabetes, steady is exciting. clinically proven to help minimize blood sugar spikes.
8:48 am
so you stay steady ahead. the wolf was huffing and puffing. like you do sometimes, grandpa? well, when you have copd, it can be hard to breathe. it can be hard to get air out, which can make it hard to get air in. so i talked to my doctor. she said... symbicort could help you breathe better, starting within 5 minutes. symbicort doesn't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms. symbicort helps provide significant improvement of your lung function. symbicort is for copd, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. it should not be taken more than twice a day. symbicort contains formoterol. medicines like formoterol increase the risk of death from asthma problems. symbicort may increase your risk of lung infections, osteoporosis, and some eye problems. you should tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it. symbicort could mean a day with better breathing. watch out, piggies! (children giggle) symbicort. breathe better starting within 5 minutes. call or go online to learn more about a free trial offer. if you can't afford your medication,
8:49 am
astrazeneca may be able to help. at ally bank no branches equals great rates. it's a fact. kind of like shopping hungry equals overshopping.
8:50 am
one of the central tenets of the american criminal justice system is that you should be judged by a jury of your peers, but one group of americans who gets that privilege is the young people. our foot soldiers this week are working on changing that. the brownfield youth court in brooklyn, new york is a program within the center for court i o innovation which hears low level
8:51 am
cases for low-level offenders between age 10 and 15, and instead of a courtroom by adults the judges and the attorneys and the jury are a all teenagers and from their own cohort, and the youth court members make up an eight-person jury which asks the questions and doles out sanctions, and the sanctions are ranging from workshops of decision making, peer leadership and education, and essays and apology letters and community service. upon completion of the sanctions the young offenders could have their charges dropped and the probations dismissed or the records expunged and the program makes so it that one mistake does not derail a person's life, a and they can apply in college and jobs without a criminal record shadowing them at every turn.
8:52 am
and charisse who volunteers and runs it of the brownfield youth court are our foot soldiers of the week. she joins me with one of the youth court members, and i am so happy to have you both here. and let me start with you, michaela, what are you learning as part of the program? >> well, i would say the brownfield youth court teaches you not only how the young people can make a difference in how to help others burk good life lessons like public speak, and i am pretty sure that if it weren't for charisse, i would not be talking to you. it teaches you what is going on in the real world and the fact that i'm in brownsfield youth cou court, i am making a difference and i'm proud of that. >> and so i am extremely proud of you and the model, and talk to me about the kinds of cases
8:53 am
that these young people hear and the sanctions that they dole out. >> yes. so the youth court here is e low-level offenses such as whether a young person jumps a turnstyle or doubles up on the fare to school altercations, to petty larceny and things of that nature. >> when you are working to make a decision and working tot, do you find that the young people who are offenders before you are irritated that young people can sanction them or do they have more respect for it, because it is other young people? >> well, i'm not going to lie, sometimes they don't take it seriously because we are so young, and we are around their age group, but most of the time, i think that it is better for them, because they feel more comfortable talking to us rather than adults. so that just it makes, i don't know how to put it exactly, but i think it is better overall, because we get respected and we have a lot of thanks from the
8:54 am
parents and guardians of the rerespondents that we get. >> are the kids tougher in the sanctions than the adult decision-makers or more fair? >> sometimes they can be a little tough. especially if they feel like a young person who comes in and may not take it so seriously, only because they want to offer them different opportunities to kind of understand the severity of their the actions. however, they are very fair. they take everything into consideration to the process that the young person went through at the present of what punishment they received at home to affect their final decision. >> and what about law enforcement. you say they are young offenders, but does the law enforcement take it seriously? >> yes, one of the partners is the 73rd precinct where we receive the juvenile reports and referrals from the young people
8:55 am
there, and they tend to be excited about having those cases heard in youth court before it even trickles down further into the juvenile justice system. >> before we became on air, you we talked a what about you are gog if be when you grow up, and you said you are not sure, and so you don't know that you want to necessarily be a lawyer, but what about you want to be? >> well, i don't know, and that is a really good question, because i am undecided. right now i'm in college and i go to eugene lange, the new school, and right now i am taking classes all over the place trying to feel out what i want to do, and so that is still in question. >> i am a fan of that and a liberal arts education and you are meant to go to try out all of the things, and when i hear you talking about taking everything in account and deliberating and these are the skills they will need no matter what they are doing. >> yes, the young people who are facilitating outcourt, it is six months, and my goal is to develop them to opportunity, and
8:56 am
develop skill skets that -- skillsets that will transfer to other areas. michaela is going to be great at whatever she does. >> maybe more than one thing and you will decide to do lots of things. i love this program and what is it doing around the questions of justice, and skills, and thank you for giving your time and energy to it. and it is okay if you don't know all of the answers, because you don't have to know all of the answers right now. and now, it is time to say good-bye but we will see you back here tomorrow morning. and say hello to alex witt. after a $100 million donation, where where did the money go? a look at the foundation from mark zuckerburg and whether it did or did not help the children of new jersey. and who is going to be
8:57 am
paying the repair bill so you can take a shower? and you knew it would be cold in parts of the country, but snow, really? yes, really. don't go away, i will be right back. when something works, people stick with it. more people stick with humana medicare advantage. because we stick with them. humana medicare advantage. the plan people stick with. he can not see through doors. his speed, anything but superhuman. but when it comes to health care options,
8:58 am
george found helpful information and resources at aarphealth.com this makes him feel unstoppable. well, almost unstoppable. discover real possibilities at aarphealth.com today and tomorrow take on the world. you odors in your bathrooming you think it smells fine, but your guests smell this... febreze air effects heavy duty has up to two times the odor-eliminating power to remove bathroom odors you've gone noseblind to use febreze air effects till it's fresh. and try febreze small spaces...
8:59 am
... to continuously eliminate up to two times the odors for 30 days febreze small spaces and air effects, two more ways to breathe happy. the great beauty of owning a property is that you can create wealth through capital appreciation, and this has been denied to many south africans for generations. this is an opportunity to right that wrong. the idea was to bring capital into the affordable housing space in south africa, with a fund that offers families of modest income safe and good accommodation. citi got involved very early on and showed an enormous commitment. and that gave other investors confidence. citi's really unique, because they bring deep understanding of what's happening in africa. i really believe we only live once, and so you need to take an idea that you have and go for it. you have the opportunity to say, "i've been part of the creation of over 27,000 units of housing,"
9:00 am
and to replicate this across the entire african continent. hey, there, everyone. welcome to "weekends withal alex witt." this is what is ahead in the next two hours. it sparked in the gop race, a twitter war between donald trump and jeb bush. we will tell you the latest and how it matters. and one of hillary clinton's aides testified for nine hours in front of the congressional committee on benghazi. and if you want to have a drone for christmas, what you need to know. and one clear winner for beer when it comes to sales in the u.s., and it might surprise you.

62 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on