Skip to main content

tv   Scenes from a Murder  MSNBC  November 21, 2015 5:00pm-6:01pm PST

5:00 pm
how much damage was done? the only thing they don't ask is, are you okay? at liberty mutual, we never forget that policies are about people. see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance. you used to sleep like a champ. then boom... what happened? stress, fun, bad habits, kids. now what? let's build a new, smarter bed using the dualair chambers to sense your movement, heartbeat, breathing. enter the sleep number bed with sleepiq® technology. it tracks your sleep and tells you how to adjust for a good, better and an awesome night. the difference? try adjusting up or down. you'll know cuz sleepiq® tells you. give the gift of amazing sleep. find our best buy rated c2 queen mattress with sleepiq. only at a sleep number store. know better sleep with sleep number.
5:01 pm
. until he found himself on the wrong end of a polygraph. here again, keith morrison.
5:02 pm
>> a blower looking for justice for his sister. a man who had gone to the media to criticize the police and written a script and made a movie in an effort to restort an investigation. >> i had said some not so flattering things in the past in the media about the case. nothing that wasn't true but i brought up several times that this file's been lost. >> so had the state police decided to teach him a lesson? >> how would you describe the way they're treating you? >> from where i grew up, you would call it being slapped around. >> bullied? >> yeah. >> what motivation would they have to bully you except to find the truth? >> maybe this is where the rubber meets the road and they think you know what, now he sees he's got something to lose and now he'll leave us alone. >> reporter: but it turns out tom morgan was wrong. it wasn't his harping about the
5:03 pm
police that had him in a polygrapher's clutches. it wasn't payback. it wasn't even political. no, the reason tom was hauled in for questioning was because somebody had offered new evidence that suggested the real suspect all along should have been tom morgan. and who might that mysterious suspicious somebody have been? well, you've heard about him already. it was pat moug, the filmmaker and policeman tom had first chosen to direct his film. >> that was what initially tweaked your suspicion? >> yes, when i read his script. >> it was so weird. >> pat, remember, had been replaced as the movie director when a new man was brought aboard. but pat persuaded tom to let him use the video he'd already shot as part of a documentary about the making of the movie. what tom did not know is that pat was only pretending to make a documentary.
5:04 pm
he'd reverted from filmmaker to cop. why? because, says pat, of something he saw in tom's fictional movie script. >> and all of a sudden in the middle of the script i get to the murder scene and the person who he told me in real life that he based the script on, this fraternity brother, he goes to the trailer and when he gets there there's a man already there and he listens from underneath the window and the man leaves. this makes him jealous. he goes in and he kills her. well, the man that's there is tom morgan. >> in the script that he sent you. >> when i read that it was like somebody slugged me in the chest. i was just like this isn't right. it just didn't make sense. there's no reason to put yourself at a murder scene of an unsolved homicide. >> reporter: pat instantly thought back to his police training, in part to a course in criminal psychology he'd once attended. >> the narcissistic sociopath will find a way of placing themselves near the crime scene of the victim. and that's exactly what he does in his script. he places himself at the crime
5:05 pm
scene. >> and emotionally what does that do to you? >> it's not a good feeling in your gut because you're thinking what happened to the girl? and now here's this person that you're talking to that you're thinking, this may be the person that murdered this girl, his sister and then set her on fire. >> that's a pretty terrible thing to say. >> yes, it is. >> reporter: at first, said pat, he wanted to back out of the project. but then with his investigator's instinct engaged, he came up with his plan to follow his suspicions. >> why don't we make an investors packet or dvd, whatever, behind the scenes where we can interview you and we can show it to people. maybe they'll get interested in your project. he went along with the idea. and he said we can arrange to interview some people that knew my sister, too. >> so he was keen on being interviewed. >> yes. >> reporter: and it worked. tom had no idea the whole thing was a ruse. investors would never see this tape. but pat had every intention of ensuring that investigators did. >> i knew the road i was about
5:06 pm
to go down. >> hey, pat, it's tom again. >> reporter: the undercover road. the old policeman's trick of using a lie to get at the truth. first pat looked through the interviews he'd already shot before he was dropped from the movie project. for example, the conversation with tom, back when they were making that investor's video, this, it seemed to pat, justified his suspicions. >> what would you want to be done to the person, have you thought about that? >> whatever the court decides. >> right there. whatever the court decide, that's the number one answer of a crime they're usually involved in. subconsciously you don't want to say what is the normal answer, that they should go to jail. >> reporter: as the interview continued, pat heard other suspicious statements. for one thing, that odd story of the way tom's dad told him about jennifer's death. >> i remember that day. i was at a friend's house in charlotte.
5:07 pm
my dad called, and i remember his exact words. just do me a favor and don't come home tonight. >> to tom it showed how deeply shocked his dad was by jennifer's death. but to pat, tom's story about the way he was told took on a completely different meaning. >> see, that's what's shocking to him is what his dad said, don't come down tonight. it seemed like he was just glossing over what should have been the shocking moment to him is that he called me and said my sister's dead. >> i find myself out here, if i just county out by myself and start talking -- >> reporter: over the months they worked together, pat says, he discovered other worrisome discrepancies. >> her car was parked right here. they came out the car -- >> reporter: pat showed his tapes to some of his fellow cops in livonia, michigan. >> then i showed it to a criminal profiler, a lieutenant from the michigan state police, a criminal psychologist who worked with michigan state police and some fbi agents.
5:08 pm
>> pat says his colleagues agreed, he was right to be suspicious. >> i've come on some information about an unsolved homicide. >> reporter: and so surely that investigator down in florence county, south carolina, kenny boone, would jump all over what pat had learned but -- >> i firmly believe i know who committed this homicide. >> reporter: but -- >> the detective from florence county would not return any of my calls. then i faxed him a request from my detective bureau. this was solely 100% as a police officer, a fellow police officer. and he never responded. fbi from what i'm told their protocol, jurisdiction the agency that has the jurisdiction has to make the request. or they can't get involved. >> he doesn't think there's anything suspicious. forget about it. you could have done that. why didn't you? >> i firmly believed that tom was a suspect. while this homicide did not happen in my jurisdiction, i can't walk away.
5:09 pm
if someone's been killed and set on fire and i might know who did it, i'm going to work on the case. >> and what did pat moug do? why, he followed in the very footsteps of his quarry, tom morgan. he went over the head of the florence county sheriff and marched right on over to state police headquarters, unannounced with his tapes and his story. >> the assistant director of s.l.e.d., he told me straight up front, he said, we're only assisting jurisdiction and -- but we'll see what we can do. >> reporter: and that is how tom morgan found himself attached to the state police polygraphy machine. >> this is really interesting -- >> reporter: but there was much more to come from pat moug, including an elaborate track. >> i believe i have enough evidence for probable cause to arrest him. >> reporter: and a big night in hollywood north.
5:10 pm
♪ ♪ how else do you think he gets around so fast? take the reins this holiday and get the mercedes-benz you've always wanted during the winter event. hurry, offers end soon. here at axa, we believe that when it comes to helping you reach your financial goals taking small, manageable steps can be an effective... and enjoyable approach... compared to the alternatives. push! i am pushing! sfx: pants ripping how you doing eddie? almost there. small steps. at axa, we'll help you take the next steps, with more confidence. for advice, retirement and insurance, talk to axa today. surprise!!!!! we heard you got a job as a developer! its official, i work for ge!! what?
5:11 pm
wow... yeah! okay... guys, i'll be writing a new language for machines so planes, trains, even hospitals can work better. oh! sorry, i was trying to put it away... got it on the cake. so you're going to work on a train? not on a train...on "trains"! you're not gonna develop stuff anymore? no i am... do you know what ge is? phil! oh no... (under his breath) hey man! hey peter. (unenthusiastic) oh... ha ha ha! joanne? is that you? it's me... you don't look a day over 70. am i right? jingle jingle. if you're peter pan, you stay young forever. it's what you do. if you want to save fifteen percent or more on car insurance you switch to geico. ♪ you make me feel so young... ♪ it's what you do. ♪ you make me feel ♪ ♪ so spring has sprung. ♪
5:12 pm
where did you want to start? >> reporter: in the summer of 2005, tom morgan's movie about the killing of his sister showed up here and there in the indie film festivals. an apparent success. and all the while, though tom was utterly unaware of it, the man who he once pegged to make the movie was working against him. >> i believe one police officer in one state should work with other police officers to take a murderer off the street and that's just how i am. i'm not going to go away. >> reporter: now it looked as though pat moug's policeman passion would fade off. tom morgan, the brother who had been pestering investigators for years about his sister's murder was hauled in for questioning and now seemed to be a suspect himself. pat waited for word of an arrest and waited. >> right now, if he was in our state, i believe i have enough evidence for probable cause to arrest him.
5:13 pm
>> reporter: really? arrest him? well, there was no arrest. and now the state police also stopped returning pat's calls. but he was a fellow officer. surely he thought somebody at least owed him an explanation. >> if you knew information that i knew about a murder and no one wanted to help you, you should get up on a podium in central park -- >> reporter: go to the local police department and say i had information which could help you resolve this crime. >> then what do you do if they won't listen to you? >> reporter: what do you do? well, if you're pat moug, you make a movie. just as tom morgan had done. remember, as a complete ruse, pat had shot some interviews with tom. and now he decided he really would make a documentary. he called it "bold as a lion." but it wasn't to raise money as his fake alibi had said.
5:14 pm
but to lay out his case piece by piece that tom morgan should be a prime suspect in the murder of his sister. what we call the butch interview, tom begins to talk about where he was at the time of his sister's homicide. >> reporter: all along something tom told pat had made him very suspicious. tom said he had been living in michigan when jennifer was murdered when, in fact, a few weeks before she died, tom moved to charlotte, north carolina. and charlotte was just a 2 1/2 hour drive from the scene of the crime. if tom lied about where he lived on the day of the crime, was he lying about his actions that day, too? >> i remember that day, i was at a friend's house in charlotte. i flew into charlotte and then i drove on the way to my parents' house -- >> reporter: here pat seems to have caught thomas he tries not to reveal that he's been lying about his moving date from michigan. pat was very suspicious of that
5:15 pm
fudging. also, there was the way tom talked about the weather on the day of the murder. >> if i remember, this was almost the identical weather that it was. >> reporter: as if he was right there when it happened. >> he does not use the wording that this was the weather in charlotte or this was the weather in michigan or that he was told this was the weather like that day. >> reporter: and remember that watch police found in jennifer's hand after the fire and the bracelet and ring tom said his father found at the grave? tom suggested those were left by his suspect, chris woodson. but pat came to a different conclusion. it's your suspicion tom is -- >> my suspicion is that it's connected that, this staged event at the murder scene is -- the ring is possibly staged. >> did you ever ask tom about that? >> no. >> reporter: and there was pat's suspicion that tom knew too much about the murder if he wasn't around to witness it. >> they took all of the wetters out of the car, put them all
5:16 pm
underneath her bed and doused those with gasoline in addition to dousing her body. >> i spoke with the florence county coroner and discussed these items. he indicated to me that he did not remember telling tom morgan any of these facts. >> reporter: and that's about the point pat's theorys took a turn toward something way out there, something no one else had even imagined, some sort of sexual dysfunction between tom and his sister. >> in the one telephone conversation i had with the florence county detective, he informed me that after jennifer morgan was murdered, there was an unknown milky white substance in her vagina. >> reporter: what set it off was that phrase. pat recalled that the florence county investigator, kenny boone, told him that an unidentified substance may have been found in jennifer's body. >> was this milky white substance placed there as a result of an assault, including oral sex? >> reporter: what could that substance have been? well, how about ice cream?
5:17 pm
in his fictional movie script, tom had put himself at his sister's home just before the murder, bringing ice cream. and that became part of pat's evidence, that tom may have sexually assaulted and killed his sister. >> so what do you think happened? >> he had unhealthy relationship with his sister. >> what do you mean unhealthy relationship? >> that's as far as i'm going to go? >> do you mean incestuous relationship? >> it might have been perceived. the whole take on the boyfriend, there's an unhealthy assumption on his part that that boyfriend has to be the only suspect. and that's -- that is something i can testify to. he does not like anyone else being named a suspect other than her college boyfriend. >> reporter: but remarkably, pat had even darker suspicions. if tom killed his sister, then according to pat, jennifer's own father and her other brother may
5:18 pm
have helped cover up the murder by dousing her body in gasoline and setting it on fire. all these years, pat suggested, jennifer's whole family may have been involved in a massive cover-up. the documentary ended with what pat intended as the climactic interview. >> i'm on your side, but there's people out there that have been telling me stuff. >> reporter: here tom has no idea that a microphone and two cameras are placed in the room. pat is moving in for the kill. for what he hopes will be tom's confession. >> tom, i know you're at your sister's accident, jen's accident. >> no, i wasn't. >> tom i know you were. >> i know for two years you've been telling me things that put you at your sister's accident. >> tom listen to me what i'm telling you, i was not at -- i
5:19 pm
had -- i loved my sister i was not there. >> reporter: hardly a confession. that did get tom to admit, however, that he had lied when he told pat he lived in michigan at the time jennifer was killed. >> you lied to me about that day, how else should i act. >> i told everybody i moved down here after my sister died. guess what i didn't i moved down here in [ bleep ] october. >> why did you say that? >> because i was embarrassed. >> reporter: embarrassed, tom told pat, about running away from some financial and romantic mistakes he'd made up in michigan. pat wasn't buying it. instead, his interview clips and charts and speculations boiled down to this. >> i think he went there and i think they got in some form of an argument, over what i'm not exactly sure. and i think that he caused her death possibly. >> and you think tom did it? >> i think there's a distinct possibility that tom did it, absolutely. >> reporter: pat moug is a fourth generation policeman.
5:20 pm
he believes, he says, that his is an effort to right a wrong. >> after three to four years of me asking nicely, i'm tired of asking nicely. i'm tired of asking nicely. i'm demanding justice for jennifer morgan. >> reporter: and so here it was. on a winter frigid night in livonia, michigan, in a donated theater in a giant suburban multiplex, the premiere of pat moug's "bold as a lion." it's a big crowd. pat has invited his many friend, many from law enforcement. finally, they'll get to see the work that's consumed three years of his life. >> i want to thank everybody for coming out. hopefully we're going to start a campaign to finally get justice for a girl that you're about to meet. >> what is the probably that tom morgan -- >> reporter: the audience knows virtually nothing about the story beyond the selectively prepared case that pat is presenting to them. yet, there's not much doubt
5:21 pm
these are friends and they're hugely supportive. and many of them are puzzled why south carolina law enforcement hadn't welcomed pat into the investigation. >> why do you think they're so reluctant? >> i don't know if it's because i'm an outsider, perceived outsider as opposed to perceived fellow police officer. i don't know. >> reporter: pat's movie audience is eating out of his hand. "bold as a lion" has raised some very serious questions. but were they legitimate? now pat moug will take a turn on the hot seat. in fact, you got nothing in that tape. >> i don't agree with that. i don't agree with that.
5:22 pm
in panama, which is a city of roughly 2 million people we are having 5,000 new cars being sold every month. this is a very big problem for us with respect to fast and efficient transportation. it's kind of a losing proposition to keep going this way. we are trying to tackle the problem with several different modes. one of them is the brand new metro. we had a modest forecast: 110,000 passengers per day in the first line. we are already over 200,000. our collaboration with citi has been very important from the very beginning. citi was our biggest supporter and our only private bank. we are not only being efficient in the way we are moving people now, we are also more amicable to the environment. people have more time for the family and it's been one of the most rewarding experiences to hear people saying: "the metro has really changed my life."
5:23 pm
(vo) what does the world run on? it runs on optimism. it's what sparks ideas. moves the world forward. invest with those who see the world as unstoppable. who have the curiosity to look beyond the expected and the conviction to be in it for the long term. oppenheimerfunds believes that's the right way to invest... ...in this big, bold, beautiful world.
5:24 pm
>> reporter: a friendly crowd for the premiere screening of pat moug's film "bold as a lion" offered enthusiastic praise for pat's efforts. many, though they'd never met tom morgan, were now deeply suspicious. >> do you have tom morgan's number still that we can call him right now and ask him a few questions? >> reporter: after all, pat had put together material that implied, without much subtlety, that tom had killed his sister and that tom's father and brother helped cover up the crime by burning her body. >> tom would say things or write >> reporter: the allegations had been couched words like
5:25 pm
suspicion, avoiding direct accusations, but only an idiot would miss the obvious message. but, we wondered, was any of it built on actual evidence? how had pat come to the conclusion based on this interview that tom could be a sociopath? why did he suspect that, behind tom's very public crusade for justice, lurked a killer? well, pat told us he taken some special training in criminal psychology that has enabled him to detect possible guilt based on what people say and how they say it. >> how long were you at this reed institute. >> well, it's a week long -- i think it's a week long training for the first class. and then the second the advanced class is like a two-day seminar. >> then what? does a diploma or something at the end of it? >> a certificate. >> reporter: but if pat wasn't a exactly trained psychologist, he
5:26 pm
was and is an experienced policeman. he's been on the force for 18 years. so what about that milky white substance he says the sheriff told him was found in jennifer's body, which was at the heart of pat's suggestion that jennifer's death could have been caused by some inappropriate sexual event involving tom? >> how does he know? by coincidence, he writes this script where he's bringing ice cream to the murder scene. and lo and behold, the detective has this milky white substance in the vagina. >> reporter: but aren't you taking two and two and coming up with five? >> no, i don't think so. >> reporter: he's fictionally writing about him being there with ice cream. >> and you think it's a coincidence that he shows up in his script that he places himself at the murder scene minutes before his sister's murder and he's bringing a substance that after fire could be melted down and be a milky white substance? do you think that's a coincidence? i don't. >> reporter: why would it be white? maybe it's chocolate ice cream. >> well, they didn't say that. >> reporter: well, you don't know, do you?
5:27 pm
? come on! >>what time is it? it's go time. >>come on. let's go, let's go, let's go. woooo hoooo!! yeah!! i feel like i went to bed an hour ago. >>i'll make the cocoa. get a great offer on the car of your grown-up dreams at the mercedes-benz winter event. it's the look on their faces that makes it all worthwhile. but, hurry, these offers end soon. thank you santa!!! with my moderate to severe ulcerative colitis, the possibility of a flare was almost always on my mind. thinking about what to avoid where to go... and how to deal with my uc. to me, that was normal. until i talked to my doctor. she told me that humira helps people like me get uc under control and keep it under control when certain medications haven't worked well enough. humira can lower your ability to fight infections including tuberculosis.
5:28 pm
serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. raise your expectations. ask your gastroenterologist about humira. with humira, control is possible. there's something out there. it's a highly contagious disease. it can be especially serious- even fatal to infants. unfortunately, many people who spread it may not know they have it. it's called whooping cough. and the cdc recommends everyone, including those around babies, make sure their whooping cough vaccination is up to date. understand the danger your new grandchild faces. talk to your doctor or pharmacist about you and your family getting a whooping cough vaccination today.
5:29 pm
hi richard lui with your top stories. the city of brussels remains on lockdown after authorities say they received serious and immediate terror threats. subways are closed and armed police and soldiers are patrolling the streets. belgium's prime minister saying he'll reassess the threat tomorrow. in turkey, three alleged isis members have been arrested. authorities say they've suspected of having ties to the terrorists who carried out the paris attacks last weekend. the organizer of those attacks was killed in a raid in the paris suburb of saint-denis. in mali the manhunt continues for terrorists suspected of carrying out the attacks that killed 20 people including one u.s. citizen. and the scene in chicago, smoke billowing from the famed john hancock building downtown. the fire broke out near the 50th
5:30 pm
floor, injuring one person. officials saying the flames came from a residence there. now back to our msnbc special. >> reporter: so what about that substance? for pat it was crucial. it was the only evidence he offered to imply an incestuous relationship between tom and jennifer. but did it even exist? pat moug says he got the story from florence county sheriff kenny boone, who said he learned about it from the forensic pathologist. but she told us simply this. as far as she remembers, there never was any milky white substance. here is her autopsy report. i put everything i found in here, she told us. if it wasn't in the report -- and it isn't -- it didn't exist. >> >> reporter: and remember how pat ferreted out tom morgan's
5:31 pm
fudging about his movements around the time his sister was killed? now in his film, pat used that uncertainty to offer his own set of speculations. that tom lingered at his parents' house in myrtle beach for several days after a family reunion ended. and then on his drive home to charlotte, stopped off to kill his sister. >> driving from myrtle beach to charlotte puts him on a route that takes him through the university where his sister was going to school at the time of her homicide. >> reporter: but pat offers no evidence that this actually happened. no receipts, no eyewitnesses along the way that could place tom anywhere on this route. in fact, in that hidden camera interview, tom tells pat he was at work in north carolina, 170 miles away, on the day of the fire. >> reporter: later, at his movie
5:32 pm
premiere, pat admits he never did check out the alibi. >> were you able to verify any of his so-called alibis? >> well, the last_well, the last alibi, i did not. at that point it just seemed like i'd be chasing another one of his lies anyway. >> reporter: you set up a high tech sting operation -- >> yes, i did. >> in this hotel room. >> yes. >> because you wanted to trap him and because you wanted to get him to confess to you that he had killed his sister. and you were terribly upset when he didn't confess to it. when he said, no you've got it all wrong. you've got it all wrong. >> i was disappointed that we didn't get to the bottom of the matter. >> reporter: but remember one of pat's insinuations went beyond all the others. and that was this. based on nothing more than his own analysis of a fictionalized story, pat surmised in his very
5:33 pm
public film that jennifer's father and brother helped tom get away with her murder. >> if i step on somebody's toes so be it? >> if you ruin their reputation, so be it? >> well, there's a lot of people in prison whose reputations i ruined and i don't care. >> yeah, but if they're innocent. >> well, you're saying if. the only way you're going to find out if they're innocent, if you clear tom morgan as a suspect. he's a suspect right now. >> reporter: is he? some people down in south carolina have suggested this is all payback because tom dropped pat from the movie project. nothing to do with it, responds pat. though he does claim tom didn't even have the courtesy to tell him he was dumped. he says he found out about it after the movie was made. >> they can say whatever they want to me. they can say that i'm doing this because i didn't direct tom's film. everything in this documentary is tom saying it and i'm just putting it together. if it takes everybody in the country being mad at me to get justice for this girl, so be it.
5:34 pm
>> reporter: for pat, this was the way to justice, a film crammed with insinuation, accusation and an angry challenge to the sheriff of florence county. was he remotely right? >> that tells you what kind of investigator he is, to come to that conclusion. >> reporter: what do you suppose we might discover back in florence county, south carolina? the pursuit of healthier. it begins from the second we're born. because, healthier doesn't happen all by itself. it needs to be earned every day. using wellness to keep away illness. and believing a single life can be made better by millions of others. as a health services and innovation company optum powers modern healthcare by connecting every part of it. so while the world keeps searching for healthier we're here to make healthier happen. ♪ don't just eat.
5:35 pm
mangia! bertolli. when you're living with diabetes, steady is exciting. only glucerna has carbsteady clinically proven to help minimize blood sugar spikes. so you stay steady ahead. this is more than just a town. this is our home. and small business saturday...
5:36 pm
is more than just a day. it's our day... to shop small at the places we love... with the people we love. for stuff we can't get anywhere else. and food that tastes like home. because the money we spend here... can help keep our town growing. on small business saturday let's all shop small. for the neighborhood the town the home we love. on november 28th, shop small.
5:37 pm
>> reporter: we could hardly wait to get back to south carolina to confront with pat moug's theories the two men he'd spent most of his film attacking. >> case that stuck close to my heart for a long time. >> reporter: florence county sheriff kenny boone and tom morgan. by now, tom had spent well over a decade trying to get police to investigate his sister's 1994 killing. had even made his own movie pointing at a particular
5:38 pm
suspect. and we had -- for years -- been asking some, well, difficult questions. this, just after he failed that polygraph. this is really hard and it comes through in your eyes. i can see it is. is part of the reason it's hard for you because you actually did it? >> no. >> you killed your sister? some terrible accident but you killed her? >> no, i did not kill my sister. >> reporter: now, suddenly, 13 years after the murder, tom was very publicly accused. he didn't seem thrilled to be in front of our camera -- again. in your circumstances, this new wrinkle has entered the scene. what is it your mom said? about your 15 minutes? >> yeah, how do you like your 15 minutes of fame. >> so far. it ain't over yet. >> yeah. >> what does that do to you inside?
5:39 pm
>> it tears me up. this whole thing tears me up. >> you didn't really wanna come and do this today, did you? >> no. we have worked so hard to try and keep this in the forefront of people's minds. and to try and keep this investigation going for her sake. and, in rebuilding our lives, you know -- i think the one thing that people don't understand is we're not a typical family. we're not a family that gets together at the holidays. we're a family that talked to each other every single day. we're a family that keeps in close contact, that still goes on family vacations. so when we lose that for people to say, you know, sorry for your loss, you have to let it go.
5:40 pm
maybe it's harder for us to let it go. maybe it's harder for me. but it's not just for me. it's for my parents. it's for our family. we need closure. we want closure. >> listen to what he says and also -- >> reporter: we watched "bold as a lion" together, with frequent stops when tom objected to pat's allegations. >> the interesting -- interesting to that -- >> those apparent contradictions for example, about where he was when his sister was killed. >> yeah, i went back. i was going to fly back out of charlotte back to michigan. >> stop right there. i can remember having this conversation and thinking to myself, man, why did i say that? why didn't i just tell him? why didn't i just tell him? >> clear it up. >> let me just clear this up. and i would have said, pat, listen, i told a lot of people i moved to michigan after my sister passed away. i told a lot of people that. you know why?
5:41 pm
it's an easy way to say you left michigan as opposed to i was having sex with a married woman and i was doing other things that i wasn't too proud of and so i left. >> reporter: we stopped again during the scene at jennifer's old trailer park. that's the time when pat moug suggested tom knew too much about the killing, that he suggested tom knew too much knew things only the murderer would know. >> they took all the sweaters and put those under her bed and doused them with gasoline. >> hold on a second. where did you get the information you're using there? >> we were all speculating at the time. what's interesting about his interview is that we'd all had conversation, and pat as a police officer says, well what do you think about this? or how could this have happened? or whatever. >> he was speculating, too. >> everybody was. you know it's like these bits and pieces of conversation that he's just drawn out to make this into a -- >> to make it look like a lie? >> to make it look -- yeah, to make it contradict itself.
5:42 pm
>> reporter: then a few minutes later, the most damning _ or outrageous _ part of pat's theory. first pat implies tom may have launched some sort of sexual attack on his sister. then, because a couple of accomplices to the crime in tom's fictional movie script seemed to resemble tom's father and brother, pat suggests that the real father and brother may have helped burn jennifer's body. >> the question is why would he want to describe the people that burned a human being after they had been murdered to resemble his father and his brother? >> stop -- yeah, stop right there. it's surreal. this whole thing is surreal. we loved my sister. our family is very tight, we are very close knit. we would do anything to bring her back. we were the people who were trying to keep this going.
5:43 pm
we were the people who were trying to provide them with additional information. we were trying to -- i mean, anything we could do to keep it out there in the forefront of people's minds. we were the ones trying to do that. and then he turns that around and says, well -- >> the key argument that pat moug makes is you put yourself in this movie. maybe because you're a narcissistic sociopath who needs to get -- to taunt people, to get as close as you can to the crime. and that maybe your family has done the same thing. or maybe that you've done the same thing with them. >> he had so many opportunities to sit down with us and say, "hey, i'm gonna make this little like to get everybody's -- >> tell us everything you know. >> yeah, yeah, go through the whole thing. >> he didn't do those things? he's never spoke to my family. and that is absolutely despicable because at that point, he has slandered our family's name.
5:44 pm
>> he must have had a motivation to do that. >> all i can do is go back to the day that he told me when i said that he wasn't gonna make the film that i'd be sorry. >> reporter: tom's mother says she could scarcely believe pat moug could imply such an awful lie about her family. >> i am totally a mother hen, i will fight tooth and nail, i will go to the wall for this. there is no way anyone will come down and ruin my son's reputation without an awful lot of hardcore facts. and i don't think they can give me one. >> you're pretty angry about this. >> angry that my son will be hurt, yeah. >> reporter: and angry, said tom's dad, that police would consider his son a suspect based on what jim morgan claimed were pat's lies. what are you worried about now? i worry about tom. law enforcement can really turn the screws down if they want to. >> reporter: and wouldn't the police want to, in light of pat moug's allegations? and didn't florence county sheriff kenny boone appreciate
5:45 pm
all of pat moug's suggestions about what happened on that warm november day back in 1994? well, actually, no. he would and did not. you cut him off. >> not give him anything, no sir. you know, he's come to a conclusion that tom is responsible for this, not knowing any of the other information and stuff like we have in our case file. and, you know, it bothered me. i take offense to it. >> reporter: it wasn't at all surprising, said boone, that tom seemed to know things about the crime that perhaps only the killer would have known. >> tom could have been getting that information from the family, cause at that point, you know, i tried to keep the family kind of up to date on what was going on, what was taking place, kind of where we were going. >> reporter: as for pat's conclusion that tom is the suspect in his sister's murder, and that his father and brother may be complicit?
5:46 pm
>> that tells you what kind of investigator he is to come to that conclusion not having the preponderance of the evidence, not all the evidence. >> reporter: but what about that failed lie detector test? well, said both boone and the state police, it was all the available evidence that made them decide that the polygraph result was simply an error and that neither tom morgan nor any member of his family had anything to do with jennifer morgan's death. but pat moug was right about one thing. kenny boone did not cooperate with a fellow police officer, the one from livonia, michigan. >> you know somebody can sit in michigan and armchair quarterback this thing, but i take great offense to it. he didn't work night and day on this case like we did. but i think you've got a patrolman with a rookie attitude wanting to make a name for himself. >> reporter: but the fact is, tom morgan and pat moug may both have missed the real story.
5:47 pm
murder on a november morning, as told by sheriff kenny boone. >> one of the suspects that we had was right here. >> in that one right there? >> right. of course, then i got ♪ ♪ how else do you think he gets around so fast? take the reins this holiday and get the mercedes-benz you've always wanted during the winter event. hurry, offers end soon. here at axa, we believe that when it comes to helping you reach your financial goals taking small, manageable steps can be an effective... and enjoyable approach... compared to the alternatives. push! i am pushing! sfx: pants ripping how you doing eddie?
5:48 pm
almost there. small steps. at axa, we'll help you take the next steps, with more confidence. for advice, retirement and insurance, talk to axa today. proud of you, son. ge! a manufacturer. well that's why i dug this out for you. it's your grandpappy's hammer and he would have wanted you to have it. it meant a lot to him... yes, ge makes powerful machines. but i'll be writing the code that will allow those machines to share information with each other. i'll be changing the way the world works. (interrupting) you can't pick it up, can you? go ahead. he can't lift the hammer. it's okay though! you're going to change the world. you both have a perfect driving record. perfect. no tickets, no accidents... that is until one of you clips a food truck ruining your perfect record. yeah. now you would think your insurance company would cut you some slack, right? no, your insurance rates go through the roof.
5:49 pm
your perfect record doesn't get you anything. anything. perfect. for drivers with accident forgiveness liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance. of course, then i got pounded because i had all the cards laying on the table. >> reporter: in the almost 13 years since jennifer morgan was murdered, her family has grown. tom is now happily married and father to three members of the new generation. it's a family just as close as he says it's always been.
5:50 pm
and able to laugh again. though the gaping hole left by jennifer's death is, they tell us, just as painful as ever, along with the newer wound that comes from being accused. and though tom morgan still wonders if some cop will come knocking at his door, it seems unlikely that sheriff kenny boone, at least, would want to arrest him. why? because, says boone, both tom morgan and his nemesis pat moug have likely both been looking at all the wrong places from the very beginning about. >> well, you know, it's one of my only unsolved homicides and i'd love to be able to solve it today. >> where far from being botched, as both the morgans and pat moug seem to think, the sheriff says his investigation was quite thorough and that he looked pretty carefully at the suspect tom morgan made into a character in his fictional movie, the real life frat boy who seemed to be obsessed with jennifer. but it turns out there was an
5:51 pm
alibi, says boone, and a pretty solid one. >> we were trying to base on a time line, if he had the opportunity to be able to do something like this. at that point, you know, we -- his alibi was clear. but, you know, to me, until someone is convicted, everyone's still a suspect. >> reporter: but you remember that possible evidence the family found at jennifer's grave? >> almost as if she was down there tossing it to us. >> reporter: somebody had left a bracelet and a fraternity ring at the headstone. to tom, they were evidence that his suspect, chris, had left them there out of his continuing remorse. to pat moug, they were evidence tom morgan had staged those items to direct attention away from his own guilt. >> it's something detectives call staging. >> reporter: well, as it turns out, they were both wrong. >> actually had a ring -- >> reporter: "dateline" found another of jennifer's college buddies. his name is david dietz.
5:52 pm
>> just spending around her was like an uplifting thing. >> reporter: and guess what. it was he, says david, who left a bracelet and a ring at the grave as tributes to a good friend. >> i guess that's one of life's little lessons that i've learned from her death is you never know when you're going to have an opportunity to express to them how you feel about them. >> reporter: david showed how he tucked the ring into the ground beside the headstone. >> i just stuck it right in that area at the front right under her first name. >> reporter: just where jennifer's father found it. and one more piece of evidence that seemed to point at chris or tom suddenly vanished. these days, chris, the one time fraternity boy owns a radio station here in union, south carolina. he has repeatedly declined our attempts to see him and hear his side of the story. as to the business of not being fully eliminated as a suspect, he's reported to have told a friend, "i'm tough, i can take it.
5:53 pm
people i care about know i didn't do it and that's good enough for me." as for kenny boone, he says he's determined still that someone will be charged with the murder of jennifer morgan. what evidence there is, or most of it, anyway, is still in the sheriff's issue cardboard box. tell me what you know about this ring. there's that ring. and here's the burned bits that once looked like clues. >> and, you know, we go out and we physically try to run those leads. >> reporter: but as we took a stroll through jennifer's woodsy trailer park, the sheriff gave us reasons for his view that the murderer is none of the suspects you've heard about but someone else altogether. >> one of the suspects that we had was right here. >> reporter: in that one right there? >> right here. that window was his bedroom. >> so he could see outside right over to her trailer? >> right. >> and see that she was home alone? >> you know, we can put him leaving this mobile home,
5:54 pm
walking in front of this mobile home right here and walking down four mobile homes on the right to use the telephone to call his girlfriend. >> when? >> at the time the fire was set, right before it was called in at 4:28. >> so if that was a deliberately set fire, you can put him right here? >> right. i can put him in this street but i can't put him in that trailer yet. you never know. with technology like it is today, you never know. it's still a possibility and it's not over. >> reporter: though there's no particular rush to find the man. at this very moment, in fact, he's sitting in prison for a break-in and sex crime which, according to sheriff boone, followed a similar pattern to the attack on jennifer morgan. so case closed? well, not exactly. because now on they go, these three contending investigators down their opposing paths. pat moug, the actor/cop from livonia, michigan, is out there,
5:55 pm
way out there, with his own cinematic point of view that tom may have killed his sweet sister, helped out by his own father and brother. tom, the budding screenwriter, still doesn't believe the sheriff and still suspects the fraternity boyfriend. and sheriff boone thinks they're both wrong, that quite possibility the neighbor did it. kávñéçíúzure ♪ i'm sure it's something i /]g÷&ipg6f can't do ♪ >> reporter: and so the picture's yellow. the memory of her smile still dances across aging family films. all the possibilities that never were. and at the glacial pace the investigation has moved, the new generation of the morgan family may be in college themselves before tom can finally let it go. but not yet. in spite of all that's happened, not yet.
5:56 pm
>> i had a conversation with my father the other night. he said, you know, no matter what happens, even if you solve it, tom, even if you find somebody who can solve this case, it doesn't bring her back. >> they want you just to drop it? >> and that's when i looked at him and i said, but something just won't let me let go of it. the only thing i can say is, when i go to that grave site, when i see her headstone there, she wouldn't have let go of it. she wouldn't have let it just go by the wayside. ♪ whose good-byes won't ever come ♪ ♪ and in my good-bye you'll finally know ♪ >> that's all for now, i'm ann curry. >> and i'm stone phillips for all of us at nbc news, thanks for watching.
5:57 pm
due to mature subject matter, viewer discretion is advised. follow lockup producers and crews as they go behind the walls of america's prisons and jails with the scenes you've never seen. lockup: raw. in the united states prisons only house offenders who have actually been convicted and are serving their sentences. whereas the majority of jail inmates have only been charged with crimes and are
5:58 pm
5:59 pm
6:00 pm

46 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on