Skip to main content

tv   The Last Word With Lawrence O Donnell  MSNBC  January 13, 2016 10:00pm-11:01pm PST

10:00 pm
he's up by five in iowa. and in new hampshire he's leading there as well. in that case by 14 points. the democratic race is really heating up. which is very exciting, no matter who you like for president. but tomorrow, i'm very excited to say, former secretary of state hillary clinton will be here on this show. please do not miss this. this bat time, this bat channel. i will see you then. now it's time for "the last word" with lawrence o'donnell. >> rachel, you got hillary. >> i got hillary. i know. i had to sacrifice a goat. throw something into a volcano. very difficult. >> now, i last saw you last night at 11:00 p.m. when, i don't know if you notice, but i snuck away from leaving you at that anchor table for, i guess, was an all-nighter, right? we just went into -- >> sort of. i tried to pass you dark chocolate, you might have noticed, to keep you there. >> i knew what you were up to. i wasn't touching that stuff. >> no, don't need it. i'm going home. >> imagine my surprise when i go upstairs after that coverage and look in the pile of mail,
10:01 pm
letters that we get, which i never do and we never do. and i discover this envelope from -- to me -- from one of the front running presidential candidates. you have hillary clinton tomorrow night, but i have here a personal communique from one of the front running presidential candidates. you want to take any kind of a wild guess who? >> please tell me it's not jim gilmore. >> well, i'm going to give you a hint. it says on the bottom of it, hand delivered. and it was hand delivered from that candidate's office, which is on fifth aven. >> okay. getting closer. definitely not jim gilmore. >> you can think about it. but the contents of this will be revealed later, because this is the only private communique i have received from any presidential candidate, and i'm going to share it. >> this is the best tease in the history of cable news teasing.
10:02 pm
i quit. you win. >> did i mention that this candidate owns the building that this office is in? >> it is jim gilmore! >> it could be. thank you, rachel. >> well done, my friend. >> well, in the battle about constitutional scholarship between ted cruz and donald trump. the business school graduate is currently beating the law school graduate. >> born in canada versus new york values. today's trump versus cruz line of attack. >> i like donald. the legal question is quite straightforward. >> he has to get this cleared up. >> hammering the issue of his rival's canadian birth. >> how can you vote for somebody where there's a question? >> children of u.s. citizens born abroad are natural-born citizens. >> coming at trump harder by painting him as an embodiment of new york values. >> what do you mean new york values? >> the rest of the country knows exactly what new york values are. >> ted cruz is my man. he fits the bill. and he will go duck hunting. >> it can be tempting to follow the siren call of the angriest
10:03 pm
voices. >> you were referring to donald trump, correct? >> he was one of them, yes. >> haley's speech sparked backlash from some on the conservative far right. >> ann coulter tweeting about this, saying trump should deport nikki haley. >> donald trump sends you his warmest regards. >> i'm sure that he does. i would love to run against donald trump. >> senator sanders wants to dismantle obamacare. >> did you buy a powerball ticket? >> i did. >> if you win? >> fund my campaign. donald trump says ted cruz is nervous, very nervous. >> ted is very nervous, and he shouldn't be nervous. i don't know why. he's so worried about it. i even watch him talking about it and you can see it. it's ridiculous. he's got to take care of a problem. he has got a problem that the democrats will be bringing suit saying that he wasn't born in this country and therefore he's
10:04 pm
not eligible essentially to run for president. >> now, most problems that most campaigns run into last for a few days, a few news cycles at most. maybe a week. remember when jeb bush said this. -- >> knowing what we know now, would you have authorized the invasion? >> i would have. and so would have hillary clinton, just to remind everybody, and so would have almost everybody that was confronted with the intelligence they got. >> it took him a few days, but he finally figured out an answer to that that made people just stop asking him the question. it doesn't mean that he solved his problem in the eyes of voters, who do associate jeb bush, many of them, with his brother's policies, but he got past that question in interviews. ted cruz is the only candidate for president who faces a constitutional question about his campaign. >> he was born in canada. he was a citizen of canada until just recently. he was a citizen of canada.
10:05 pm
it was a joint citizen of the united states and canada, but he was a citizen of canada. now, when you're a citizen of canada and you were born in canada, there's a real question. >> that was donald trump on this network this afternoon with thomas roberts, managing to squeeze in the word canada seven times in 20 seconds. try to do that yourself sometimes. and here's donald trump just an hour ago in pensacola, florida. >> you can't be born in canada. you can't be a canadian citizen. and i hope it works out for him. i really do. every time i have a meeting with the press, the first question they're asking me is this. he's got to be able to run. i'm not going to get into it tonight piem sure they'll get into it tomorrow night. but you have to be, like, some of the greatest lawyers from harvard, a very good lawyer said it's not a settled matter. supposing he's run and everybody is banking on him and then the courts rule that he can't run. that's not so good. what do you do? concede the election to hillary
10:06 pm
clinton or to crazy bernie? right? >> ted cruz says there's no doubt about his eligibility to be president and it is, as he would put it, it is settled law. he's used that phrase. and that's a phrase normally reserved for issues that have been adjudicated by the united states supreme court. >> it wasn't drummed up by me. it was drummed up by "the washington post." and there are many lawyers who say he can't run for president. and the democrats are going to bring a lawsuit. a lot of people say you have to be born of the land, meaning on the land. and i read numerous articles, and not only professor lawrence tribe of harvard, you can go to others. there was a big article the other day in "the washington post" from a different group of lawyers that are saying the same thing. >> the article donald trump is referring to in "the washington post" was actually written by just one lawyer, who joins us now. she's a constitutional law professor at widener university's delaware law
10:07 pm
school. thank you very much for joining us tonight. >> my pleasure, lawrence. >> i was surprised, i have to say, by the title of your op-ed piece in "the washington post," because i've been on this now for just over a week when i started reading about it very much to my surprise, found all of this doubt in every article i've read about this. but the title of your piece is ted cruz is not eligible to be president. you are the only one i've found so far to take a definitive position on the cruz case, that he's ineligible. where do you get that confidence? >> well, i did a lot of research on the question, because i was teaching a class and thought this would be a fun subject. and went back to the common law and actually read the rules anticipate the cases and the statutes that apply and found that it's actually a very clear question. >> but now when you say the common law, you're referring to
10:08 pm
common law that pre-existed the writing of the constitution? >> that's correct. the constitution adopts a number of common law concepts such as the writ of habeas corpus or the right to trial by jury. natural-born citizen is another one of those. and the supreme court has numerous occasion told us that when we're interpreting a common law term in the constitution, you go back to the common law of england. >> and so there's a bunch of legislation that congress passes. it regards naturalization. every other author on this matter refers to this and takes it very seriously as a possible indicator of what the founders were thinking when they were writing the constitution. what is -- and in there, they found, many of them, a right to citizenship granted through you're parentage, even if you are born beyond the sea, as they would phrase it at that time.
10:09 pm
>> first of all, congress has naturalized since 1790. and most people born abroad to american parents are citizens. but that does not mean they're natural-born citizens. the powers that get it to congress, the only power that congress has given is the power to naturalize. it's quite different from a natural born citizen. congress does not have the power to effect the definition of natural born that's in article 2. >> and in your piece, you make this distinction. you're in effect saying that ted cruz was naturalized in the same way that others, people born in other countries with no rights at all event yoully get naturalized. and the way you put it here is he did not have to follow the lengthy naturalization process that people without american parents have to go. instead, he was naturalized at
10:10 pm
birth. there were several decades in the 19th century when children of americans born abroad were not given automatic naturalization. and your point being that because the legal status of a baby being born in canada, because that status has changed several times, according to different legislative regimes in place at a given time, that because it's been changeable by congress, it is not -- he is not living under that original constitutional notion. >> that's correct. in the supreme court in the late 19th century when deciding the fate of a young man of chinese ancestry who went to china for vacation and was barred for entering the united states, the court said you are either natural-born or naturalized. and naturalized means either
10:11 pm
naturalized at birth, such as children born abroad to american parents, or naturalized through the judicial tribunals as ordinary immigrants who are not born of american parents. >> now, one law review article i read, the most exhaustive one, the 100 page, the bu law review in 2005 raised doubts even at the possibility of natural-born citizenship might not be conferred on people born in the district of columbia, that it may be that you have to be born in one of the states. do you have a view on that? >> i haven't actually specifically looked at that. but the territory of the united states is what the rule is, not the actual states. so, for example, it's my contention that barry goldwater had no problem. he was born in the territory of arizona, which was an incorporated territory of the united states. it seems to me the district of columbia should be treated the exact same way. >> what about the john mccain
10:12 pm
case where he was born in the panama canal zone to a military father an an american mother? >> that's a really interesting question. about the first decade of the 20th century when we first acquired territories, what we call unincorporated territories, guam, puerto rico, the philippines, the united states was asked to determine whether the people born there were now natural-born citizens because they were territories in the united states. in a series of cases known as the insular cases, the supreme court ruled that because the people born in those territories were, and i'm quoting, of alien races, they were not appropriately given natural-born status. it seems to me john mccain's best argument would be that those opinions, like plessey versus ferguson should be just declared null and void, overruled because they were horrible. and then he would be eligible to
10:13 pm
be the president. as it is now with those cases in the way, he has a problem, or would have had a problem. but that, of course is, a completely different situation than the one facing ted cruz. >> and just to put a final point on it for tonight, the bigger problem in your view is being born in canada? >> yes. which, of course, was never a territory of the united states. >> all right, professor mcmannon, thank you very much for joining us tonight. appreciate it. coming up, republican nikki haley got generally good reviews for her response to the state of the union last night, but not from right wing republicans, one of whom jokingly suggested she should be deported. and a crisis with iran was deported when they released our navy personnel this morning. and tonight, in a very special "last word" donald trump and me. a personal communication. [ music ]
10:14 pm
defiance is in our bones. citracal pearls. delicious berries and cream. soft, chewable, calcium plus vitamin d. only from citracal. the market.redictcitracal. but through good times and bad... ...at t. rowe price... ...we've helped our investors stay confident for over 75 years. call us or your advisor. t. rowe price. invest with confidence. we're always looking for ways to speed up your car insurance search.
10:15 pm
here's the latest. problem is, we haven't figured out how to reverse it. for now, just log on to compare.com... plug in some simple info and get up to 50 free quotes. choose the lowest and hit purchase. now...if you'll excuse me, i'm late for an important function. compare.com. saving humanity from high insurance rates. today proudly announcing his
tv-commercial
10:16 pm
latest endorsement. >> my qualifications for president of the united states are rather narrow. is he or she godly? does he or she love us? can he or she do the job? and finally, would they kill a duck and put them in a pot and make a good duck gumbo. i've looked at the candidates. ted cruz is my man. he fits the bill. he's godly. he loves us. he's the man for the job. and he will go duck hunting. because today we're going. ted cruz is my man. i'm voting for him. cruz, the reason we're going to vote for you, all of us, is because you're one of us, my man. that's why we're voting for you. it's now or never.
10:17 pm
>> okay. control room, i'm going to need that picture of ted cruz in the duck makeup for every segment we do about ted cruz for the rest of his career. up next, the republicans versus nikki haley. whose long day setting up the news starts with arthritis pain and a choice. take tylenol or take aleve,.. the #1 recommended pain reliever by orthopedic doctors. just two aleve can keep pain away all day. back to the news. i thione second it's there.day. then, woosh, it's gone. i swear i saw it swallow seven people. seven. i just wish one of those people could have been mrs. johnson. [dog bark] trust me, we're dealing with a higher intelligence here. ♪ the all-new audi q7 is here. ♪
10:18 pm
when emergency room doctors choose an otc pain reliever for their patients muscle, back and joint pain. the medicine in advil is their #1 choice. nothing is stronger on tough pain than advil. relief doesn't get any better than this. advil. the loudest voice in the presidential campaign doesn't like what he heard in nikki haley's response to the institute of the union address last night. >> some people think you have to be the loudest voice in the room to make a difference. that's just not true. often the best thing we can do is turn down the volume. when the sound is quieter, you can actually hear what someone else is saying. and that can make a world of difference. >> mr. loudest voice in the room reacted to the south carolina governor this way today on msnbc. >> i'm leading in south carolina by a lot in all of the polls. and people agree with me. i'm very strong on illegal
10:19 pm
immigration. she's weak on illegal immigration. i mean, she's very, very weak on it. and it's a problem. she's big on amnesty, but very weak on illegal immigration, so therefore we have a disagreement. she comes up to my office when she wants campaign contributions, and i've given her tremendous contributions over the years. but i guess now that i'm running she doesn't like me quite as much spp she liked me better when i was a giver of contributions than she does when i'm not. >> it was unprecedented republican response to the state of the union address in which governor haley acknowledged that republicans share the blame for our toxic political environment, and she sharply disagreed with the republican front-runner for the presidential nomination on the matter of immigration. >> we must fix our broken immigration system. that means stopping illegal immigration, and it means welcoming properly vetted legal immigrants, regardless of their race or religion. just like we have for centuries. >> last night, donald trump
10:20 pm
supporter ann coulter tweeted, trump should deport nikki haley. and rush limbaugh said this today -- >> nikki haley made it clear last night, they don't want whatever trump has done. they don't want trump, they don't want the people supporting trump, they don't want the way trump has done it. >> today, nikki haley reacted to that right wing criticism. >> those are the angry voices, right? and that's the thing is -- look. i can appreciate that they're angry. i said what i believe. i stand by what i believe. my speech last night was not to win over anyone. ied up that when i hit republicans and democrats, i was going to upset people. but they gave me the opportunity to say what i think and that's what i did. joining us now, tim pawlenty, former republican governor of minnesota who ran for president last time around. and david corn for mother jones, and msnbc political analyst. your reaction to nikki haley's response last night? >> i think governor haley did a nice job overall, but i think this whole kerfuffle is a nonissue.
10:21 pm
mother teresa had a great effective impact and do did bobby knight and lou holtz. there's a continued of presentation and forcefulness. and along that continuum, different styles should work. i don't think they should say there's a one size fits all leadership style. >> and the pawlenty style has always be mother teresa style. david corn, let's listen to this extraordinary passage in which she allowed her party to take blame for some of our political dysfunction. let's listen to this. >> we need to be honest with each other. and with ourselves. while democrats in washington bear much responsibility for the problems facing america today, they do not bear it alone. there's more than enough blame to go around. we as republicans need to own that truth. we need to recognize our
10:22 pm
contributions to the erosion of the public trust in america's leadership. we need to accept that we've played a role in how and why our governnt is broken. and then we need to fix it. >> david corn, if any democrat or republican has ever said hey, my party is part of the problem in a response to a state of the union address, you're going to have to remind me who that was who said that. because i don't think i've ever heard it. >> i would love to get governor haley perhaps on this show, lawrence, and ask her, hey, give me some examples. who are you talking about? what does the republican party have to atone for or explain? i can understand why governor pea lenity wants to make this just about an issue of volume, who speaks loud and who doesn't. but she was saying something far more deeper than that. and she basically addressing what i think is becoming a pretty clear civil war within the republican party between the trumpian somewhat overlapping
10:23 pm
tea party faction and people maybe like governor pawlenty who actually likes to see things to get done, not engage in name calling. and really try to work, even if you disagree. i thought she laid a strong marker down, but yet the republican party may end up with donald trump. and then what will all the good, reasonable republicans like nikki haley, and even governor pawlenty do at that point. >> governor, your response? >> well, there's fish sures in both parties and there's extremes in both parties and volume differences in both parties. even though bernie sanders is perhaps likable and friendly, he represents by many accounts a pretty extreme view of politics on the left. so there are fissures. these are coalitions. there's going to be elbows and friction and tension. that's what politics are for to sort that all out. look, there's revisionism around how there used to be a great golden era. we had founding fathers who had duels.
10:24 pm
we had edward mcmaster stanton against lincoln calling him a cunning clown and worst. we had people in fistfights. it's not always been this smooth, go along get along. and it does need to improve and there's a lot of reforms that could take place, starting with redistrict, by the way. and we should all work towards those goals. but the idea that the loud people are bad and the quiet people are good is too simplistic. >> we haven't had a situation in a long time in which the leading candidate of a political party has called for a religious test on who they allow into the country. it's bigotry, it's hatred. it's not just the volume of what donald trump is saying, it's the substance of what he's saying that i think is going to cause the biggest problem for the republican party. >> governor, do you -- did i hear you agree or partially agree with president obama's point last night about redistricting? >> lawrence, i think there's a number of things we could do to improve the system. but i don't think you should
10:25 pm
have politicians drawing their own districts. i think that's called a conflict of interest. in some areas, like los angeles or new york, no matter how fair minded you are, it's going to be hard to draw republican destructs in a place like new york or los angeles or democrat districts in places like kansas or alabama. then lastly, there's some interesting electoral reforms that i think could be talked about. but that's a topic for another day. >> it is. we're going to have to have you come back and explore our agreements about redistricting. tim pawlenty and david corn, thank you both for joining us tonight. up next, crisis averted. u.s. sailors returned from iranian custody. and later, the clinton attack against bernie sanders. ancourd, of , finally tonight, the context of this envelope will be revealed.
10:26 pm
i'm billy, and i quit smoking with chantix. i had a lot of doubts going in. i was a smoker. hands down, it was... that's who i was. after one week of chantix, i knew i could quit. along with support, chantix (varenicline) is proven to help people quit smoking. chantix reduced my urge to smoke. some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. some had seizures while taking chantix. if you have any of these, stop chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of mental health problems, which could get worse or of seizures. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it.
10:27 pm
if you have these, stop chantix and call your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. tell your doctor if you have heart or blood vessel problems, or develop new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack or stroke. decrease alcohol use while taking chantix. use caution when driving or operating machinery. most common side effect is nausea. life as a non-smoker is a whole lotta fun. ask your doctor if chantix is right for you. if youthen you'll know howouth, uncomfortable it can be. but did you know that the lack of saliva can also lead to tooth decay and bad breath? well, there is biotene, specially formulated with moisturizers and lubricants. biotene can provide soothing relief and it helps keep your mouth healthy too. biotene, for people who suffer from a dry mouth.
10:28 pm
the conference call. the ultimate arena for business. hour after hour of diving deep,
10:29 pm
touching base, and putting ducks in rows. the only problem with conference calls: eventually they have to end. unless you have the comcast business voice mobile app. it lets you switch seamlessly from your desk phone to your mobile with no interruptions. i've never felt so alive. make your business phone mobile with voice mobility. comcast business. built for business. today, iran released ten navy sailors after their two 30-foot boats drifted into iranian waters. video was leased of their ditension. john kerry credited the new diplomatic relationship with iran for the sailors' quick release. >> i want to thank the iranian authorities for their cooperation and quick response. these are always situations which, as everybody here knows, have the ability if not properly
10:30 pm
guided to get out of control. and i'm appreciative for the quick and appropriate response of the iranian authorities. i think we can all imagine how a similar situation might have played out three or four years ago. and, in fact, it is clear that it attests to the diplomatic role that is played. >> happy to see dialogue and respect let's learn from this latest example. joining us now, steve clemons, the washington editor at large for the atlantic and an msnbc contributor.
10:31 pm
and michael kay, a former senior adviser to the uk ministry of defense. in all this video we've seen, we've seen the sailors on the deck of their vessel on their knee, hands behind their heads. we've seen video of them being fed custody. what have you seen that troubles you? >> there's nothing aing, lawrence, in this. >> what about those shots? the footage on their knees. >> standard protocol. they'll make sure nay ear searched, they've gotten their weapons on them. and just so they're in an orderly fashion so the people who apprehended them can watch them. during resistance to interrogation, those types of positions can be used more nefariously. so they can be stress positions and you could be put there for a long in order to break people
10:32 pm
down. resistance training has been thrown on its head in resistance to the islamic state. you're taught, you go into it, you want to preserve your life and then you want to try to resist telling the people that have taken you prisoner anything that might compromise your own security, national security, intelligence, whatever it is. and there's a technique of a slow drip, depending on how hard you're being interrogated. that can be in a nice way or with a gun to your head under duress. we don't know when the demander offered the apology. you have the islamic state and they're just interested in putting you on camera and using you as a political tool. these are not prisoners of war. they were not apprehended by a blil gent power. they've been detained. and detained is usually about holding someone against their
10:33 pm
will for political purposes. >> they claim their vessels drifted into iranian waters. let's will to the sailor who was heard apologizing for that on iranian state tv. >> the iranian behavior was fantastic while we were here. we thank you very much for your hospitality and your resistance. >> your reaction to this episode? >> well, i talked to several senior officials at the state department and the pentagon today. while we don't know the circumstances yet about what disabled one or both of these ships, everything seems to lead to that these folks, these nine men and one woman made some sort of of mistake. i think what's more importantly, i may be overstating for a effect, but something dramatic
10:34 pm
is happening. iran has moved from being one of the most despised nations in our history to something that's a much more comfortable political partner. john kerry with sharif were so effective. you see a shift happening in america's relationship with two key stakeholders in the middle east. and this is an example of it. iran is sending a signal. this is about future actions and where they hope to go. >> there was a lot of hysteria last night on some american television discussion of this, about what was going on. as an experienced military personnel, you don't see anything that troubles you?
10:35 pm
presumably the initial custody was being done by very low ranking people in the iranian navy. those are small vessels. >> iranian waters go out 12 nautical miles. and any sovereign state would rarld a breaching of their territorial boundaries as an act of provocation. they will have appeared as radar blips on the screen. the iranians wouldn't have known why they were there. so we need to sort of look at the macro picture here. >> and we're going to learn a lot more. >> and diplomacy has prevailed. and that's key when you're dealing with actors. >> coming up, the hillary versus bernie race is now very, very close. looking to save money on your medicare part d prescriptions, walgreens says, carpe med diem.
10:36 pm
seize the day to get more out of life and medicare part d. just switch to walgreens for savings that'll be the highlight of your day. now preview the cost of your copay before you fill. you can even get one-dollar copays on select plans. only glucerna has carbsteady, diabetes, steady is exciting. clinically proven to help minimize blood sugar spikes. so you stay steady ahead. they are. do i look smarter? yeah, a little. you're making money now, are you investing? well, i've been doing some research. let me introduce you to our broker. how much does he charge? i don't know. okay. uh, do you get your fees back if you're not happy? (dad laughs) wow, you're laughing. that's not the way the world works. well, the world's changing.
10:37 pm
are you asking enough questions about the way your wealth is managed? wealth management, at charles schwab. her long day as anne. hair stylist starts with shoulder pain when... hey joanne, want to trade the all day relief of 2 aleve with 6 tylenol? give up my 2 aleve for 6 tylenol? no thanks. for me... it's aleve. parking is hard to find. seems like everyone drives. and those who do should switch to geico because you could save hundreds on car insurance.
10:38 pm
ah, perfect. valet parking. evening, sir. hello! here's the keys. and, uh, go easy on my ride, mate. hm, wouldn't mind some of that beef wellington... to see how much you could save on car insurance, go to geico.com. ah! (car alarm sounds) it's ok! >> senator sanders has been a pretty reliable vote for the gun lobby. and i have been standing against them for a long time. we have a difference on health care. i want to build on the affordable care act. he's introduced legislation nine times that have loud out a very specific plan to take everybody's health care and roll it into a great big bundle and hand it to the states. but my view is we shouldn't be ripping up obama care and starting over. >> that was hillary clinton on "the today show" this morning. this afternoon, bernie sanders responded to hillary clinton's statements in and interview with thomas roberts on this network. >> to say that i'm kind of a
10:39 pm
supporter of the nra is really a mean spirited and unfair and inaccurate statement. now she's attacking me because i support universal health care. in 2008, she was attacking obama because obama was attacking her because she supported universal health care. i would hope that secretary clinton will tell the american people, does she support universal health care? the sanders campaign also posted this photo. it's dated 1993 when hillary clinton was trying to pass her version of health care reform. it says to bernie sanders, with thanks for your commitment to real health care access for all americans. joining us now is hugh espy, the executive director of the iowa citizens for community improvement action fund which announced this week that they are endorsing bernie sanders for president. hugh, thank you very much for joining us tonight. really appreciate it.
10:40 pm
>> thank you, lawrence, for having us on. >> what is your reaction now to this argument between hillary clinton and bernie sanders of health care. >> well, from our point of view, secretary clinton is attacking bernie sanders because she's seen her lead slip away in iowa. we support medicare for all. bernie sanders supports medicare for all. i think the way she's characterized his stance is inaccurate. and that dog don't hunt. people aren't going to buy it. >> what about the argument she's raising about bernie sanders support, or lack of support, as she sees it, for gun safety laws. >> well, you know, again, i think the fact that she's attacking bernie sanders is the fact that, you know, she's scared. she understands that the momentum is moving towards the sanders campaign. bernie sanders got a d minus rating from the nra.
10:41 pm
if i brought home a d-minus from my mom, she would not be happy with that. bernie sanders is not in bed with the nra or in the pocket of the nra that's an argument that people aren't going to buy. that dog don't hunt. >> tell us how you made the decision. i assume the choice was between these two candidates, bernie sanders and hillary clinton and how you made that decision. >> well, we did a coup of things, lawrence. first of all, we surveyed members, asked them a coup of questions. one, if you were to caucus today, who would you cause kus for and what are the top three issues important to you? and overwhelmingly, people said bernie sanders. and it wasn't just bernie saernds, it was bernie sanders with an exclamation point. we also sent issue questionnaires to all three democratic candidates and asked all of them to jump on a phone call with our cci action board to talk about the issues and the campaigns. bernie sanders was the only candidate that responded on time to our issue survey.
10:42 pm
in fact, he's the only candidate. hillary clinton did not respond to our issue survey. bernie sanders was the only one that skbrufrped on a 30-minute phone call with our leadership team. based on that and based on conversations with eeve had with other everyday iowans, for us, the decision was a slam dunk. we're going to caucus for bernie sanders. he's also the only candidate that talks about the mill movement. that understands it's going to take a people power movement to create big change in washington. he lines up on our issues and our philosophy about how change has to happen. we have bernie sanders now in iowa, hillary clinton at 44. are you going to be part of that so-called ground game that helps
10:43 pm
get people to the caucuses for bernie sanders? >> oh, absolutely. over the next 18, 19 days, we're going to be phone bank, going to be doing mass mailings, doing meeting interviews. in fact, next week, we're going ton a seven-city, five-day tour with national nurses united, a bus tour. we are. >> going to be going all over the state talking to voters, paeks ex-plaining why we support bernie sanders and the political revolution, asking people to vote. we're going to be phone banking and talking and doing media interviews, doing everything we can to put legs under our endorsement to make sure people turn up on february 1. >> hugh espy, thank you very much for joining us tonight. >> thank you, lawrence. >> i have had no private communication with any presidential candidate until donald trump sent me this letter.
10:44 pm
easy to love your laxate when that lax loves your body back. only miralax hydrates, eases and softens to unblock naturally, so you have peace of mind from start to finish. love your laxative. miralax. this is a body of proof. proof of less joint pain. and clearer skin. this is my body of proof that i can fight psoriatic arthritis with humira. humira works by targeting and helping to block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to both joint and skin symptoms. it's proven to help relieve pain, stop further joint damage and clear skin in many adults. doctors have been prescribing humira for 10 years. humira can lower your ability to fight infections,
10:45 pm
including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened, as have blood, liver and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. want more proof? ask your rheumatologist about humira. humira. this is my body of proof! at ally bank no branches equals great rates. it's a fact. kind of like ordering wine equals pretending to know wine. pinot noir, which means peanut of the night. why blend in with the crowd?
10:46 pm
why shy away from the extraordinary? why fit in, when you were born to stand out? the 2016 nissan altima has arrived. if you have high blood pressure many cold medicines may raise your blood pressure. that's why there's coricidin® hbp. it relieves cold symptoms without raising blood pressure. so look for powerful cold medicine with a heart. coricidin® hbp.
10:47 pm
>> today, mexican government officials released text messages ben el chapo and kate castillo. she helped arrange el chapo's interview with sean penn. his first one that they intercepted to her says, i am very eager to meet and become great friends. you are the best in the world. i will take care of absolutely everything. she then apparently texted to him, it's so moving that you say you will take care of me. no one has ever taken care of me. thank you. i am free next weekend. later, el chapo, writing to his attorney says, tell kate that when she comes we will drink tequila and dance. tell her just like that. >> late today, kate del castillo
10:48 pm
tweeted messages to her fans, thank you for your support. i look forward to sharing my story with you. we'll be right back. this is ll. to prove to you that the better choice for him is aleve. he's agreed to give it up. ok, but i have 30 acres to cover by sundown. we'll be with him all day as he goes back to taking tylenol. yeah, i was ok, but after lunch my knee started hurting again so... more pills. yep... another pill stop. can i get my aleve back yet? for my pain... i want my aleve. get all day minor arthritis pain relief with an easy open cap. itswhen you're engineeredct to literally to drive circles around the competition.
10:49 pm
10:50 pm
>> the tale of two letters. first, the letter i found in my mail pile last night from donald trump. and second, my letter back to donald trump that i will be sending right after the show. and now tonight's "var last word to folks out there whose diabetic nerve pain... shoots and burns its way into your day, i hear you. to everyone with this pain that makes ordinary tasks extraordinarily painful, i hear you. make sure your doctor hears you too! i hear you because i was there when my dad suffered with diabetic nerve pain. if you have diabetes and burning, shooting pain in your feet or hands, don't suffer in silence! step on up and ask your doctor
10:51 pm
about diabetic nerve pain. tell 'em cedric sent you. trust number one doctor recommended dulcolax constipated? use dulcolax tablets for gentle overnight relief suppositories for relief in minutes and stool softeners for comfortable relief of hard stools.
10:52 pm
dulcolax, designed for dependable relief and now tonight's "var last word which will be a completely final word about donald trufr. but first, to put this in context. >> look at all these people from the press. miserable people, but that's okay. true, true. >> he was talking about the reporters in the room with him, but he clearly means most of us who cover his campaign. he has gotten more specific about me. in a washington post video of people donald trump has attacked, here is my entry. and that's just for this campaign season. over the years, on twitter, he has also called me, quote, the dumbest political commentator on
10:53 pm
television which a week later, he amped up to the dumbest man on tv. four years ago, when i was accurately predicting the exact day when donald trump would announce that he wasn't running for president against president obama, he tweeted, lawrence will soon be off tv, bad ratelings. he has a face made for radio. and a little more than four years ago in what remains my personal favorite tweet, he tweeted, i heard, because his show is unwatchable, that lawrence has made many false statements last night about me. maybe i should sue him? so imagine my surprise when we discovered this envelope last night from himself, trump. says it right there. the trump organization. imagine my surprise when i opened this hand delivered envelope to discover, not
10:54 pm
another threat to sue me, but a check from donald trump for the k.i.n.d. fund for $10,000 with a handwritten note on the check stub saying, lawrence, very good work on this. best wishes, donald. now, i haven't talked to donald trump about this, so i'm just guessing that because the check is dated last friday that he probably wrote it the day after we had victor chinyama on the show talking about how he helped me deliver that first classroom of desks and how victor helped create our partnership with unicef that has new tho delivered hundreds of thousands of desks to malawi schools and provided hundreds of scholarships for girls to attend high school in malawi where the graduation rate for girls is half the rate for boys. the video i show you barefoot
10:55 pm
kids, sitting on classroom floors and girls in high school talking about their hopes of becoming nurses and doctors and teachers and lawyers. if we can just continue to help pay tuition. that video is very moving. and thousands and thousands of you have been moved to contribute because of those segments, starring those kids. and i for one accept that donald trump's impulse to write this check came from the best place in his heart. but there are a couple of problems with this check that are all my fault. we always tell you that you can contribute on line by going to lastwordsdesks.msnbc.com or you can call unicef. but we've never told you how to contribute the old school way by writing a check. here's how you do it. you make it out to u.s. fund for unicef and you mail it to u.s. fund for unicef, attention revenue processing 125, maiden lane, floor 10, new york, new
10:56 pm
york, 100338 and in the memory toe line, please indicate it's for k.i.n.d. and indicate if it's to be used for desks or girls scholarships. now, there was no way for donald trump to know any of that when he wrote this check. so he did his best. he sent it to me directly. if he had contributed online, i would have no way of knowing about that. it is possible that one of the other presidential candidates or their families have contributed online to unicef and i have no way of knowing that. unicef has received over 100,000 contributions to k.i.n.d. over the years. and i only know about the few contributions you tell me about on twitter. so without having any instructions about how to send a check, donald trump, as makes perfect sense, made it payable to k.i.n.d. instead of u.s. fund for unicef. and so this check can't be
10:57 pm
accepted for that technical reason. it's actually made out to k.i.n.d. instead of u.s. fund for unicef. and i certainly can't accept a check like this from a presidential candidate to handover to my favorite charity. and so i am sending this check back to donald trump, sending it back in this envelope with this thank you note. dear donald, thank you very much -- i think i need the glasses for this one. dear donald, thank you very much for your generosity. unfortunately in our current positions, yours as a presidential candidate, and mine as someone covering your campaign, i cannot accept or pass along a check from you for any purpose. i hope you will understand this predicament. and i hope that when your campaign is over or when your presidency is over, you will resend this check because the need will still be there.
10:58 pm
classrooms in malawi will still need desks. girls will still need financial help to go to high school. in the meantime, to assure the immediate fulfillment of your generous intent, i have written my own personal check for $10,000 to the u.s. fund for unicef that i am sending to unicef in place of yours. yours sincerely, lawrence. here is that check. this will be going to unicef. this is the one i'll be sending there. i'm going to write in the memo line, k.i.n.d. scholarships and at least 56 girls are going to be able to go to high school because of this check. it could be more girls than that. it depends exactly on how much tuition is at each of the schools they attend.
10:59 pm
at least 56 lives changed because of this little piece of paper. somewhere in those 56 is a nurse. somewhere in those 56 is a teacher, maybe a doctor, maybe a lawyer, maybe a future president of malawi. this is a check that i absolutely was not going to write today were it not for donald trump. i made a lot of personal contributions to k.i.n.d. this season. but i was done for a while anyway. i'm going to write one more thing in the memo line of this check. in honor of victor chinyama. >> i can tell you the desks delivered at these schools, that's christmas for these kids. christmas comes december 25 and pretty much nothing happens in their lives. when a desk is delivered to them at the school, that is christmas.
11:00 pm
you have made their day, made their year, made their lives. "hard ball" starts right now. is ted cruz a canadian anchor baby? let's play hardball. good evening i'm chris matthews back in washington. the republicans hooted and hollered that president obama was born in kenya. they forced him to show his birth certificate showing he was fwo born in hawaii. now trump is going after ted cruz saying he was born in canada. what will cruz do about it? isn't this a problem forict center readers of the constitution? something is causing cruz to lose control.

226 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on