Skip to main content

tv   All In With Chris Hayes  MSNBC  April 29, 2016 12:00am-1:01am PDT

12:00 am
as the republican front-runner drops another women's card stunner. >> the only thing she's got going is the fact that she's a woman. then bernie sanders takes aim at democrats. >> the democratic party up to now has not been clear about which side they are on, on the major issues facing this country. >> and a major victory in the fight to make voting easier. "all in" starts right now. good evening from new york. i'm chris hayes. tonight, more capitol hill republicans are embracing the once-unthinkable -- donald trump as the presumptive gop nominee for president of the united states of america and the de facto leader of the republican party. today two members of house leadership, committee chairman jeff miller and bill shuster, endorsed trump for president. trump has the explicit support of 11 members of congress. after a meeting between lawmakers the trump campaign
12:01 am
representative chris collins suggested this is just the beginning. >> members are definitely coming on board. there were eight of us that had endorsed donald trump. today we had 16 members in the meeting and others that had other commitments that wanted to come. you're going to hear different terminology. you're going to hear the word "endorse." you're going to hear the word "strongly support." >> after failing to get more than 50% support in any primary before new york state, trump has now cracked 50% in the past six states and picked up more than 60% in three of them. he's winning demographic groups he struggled with, racking up wins in some of the richest and best-educated counties in the country. winning half of voters with college degrees. in indiana the next state on the primary calendar, polls show trump leading second-place ted cruz who desperately needs a victory to avoid being written off.
12:02 am
even if trump somehow gets shut out in indiana, he still has a viable path to 1,237 needed to take the nomination before the convention. if he wins indiana, according to nate silver, it's trump's nomination to lose. >> we don't have a long way if i can win in indiana. if i win, we win, it's over. it's over. if we win in indiana, it's over. >> cruz himself seemed to actually agree with that assessment today. >> we are at the edge of a cliff staring downward. and it is the common sense and good judgment of the hoosier state that is the one thing that stands between us and plunging over the cliff. >> all right. well, for the fledgling never trump movement, these are dark days indeed. while there are a whole bunch of reasons the movement has struggled for traction, a huge part of the problem appears to be the person the never trump forces have had no choice but to rally around. the man widely seen as the most
12:03 am
hated person in washington, d.c., ted cruz. at an appearance at stanford university, former house speaker john boehner expressed his disdain for the texas senator in remarkably stark terms. >> how about ted cruz? >> lucifer in the flesh. i've never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life. over my dead body will he be president. >> that last part didn't seem to be a joke even though people laughed. cruz hit back. >> he said something like he's the worst s.o.b. i've ever worked with, something like that. >> lucifer in the flesh. >> there was that too. the interesting thing he said is, i've ever worked with. i've never worked with john boehner. i don't know the man.
12:04 am
when john boehner calls me lucifer he's not directing that at me. he's directing that at you. what waner boehner is 18 rith by is not anything i've said to him. what boehner is angry with me for is standing with the american people. >> the part how ted cruz doesn't know john boehner? that's odd since john boehner once hired ted cruz to be his lawyer. cruz campaign today claimed the two had little interaction, apparently, while one was epting the other. boehner is far, far, far from the first person to speak less than kindly about ted cruz. >> i fully agree with john boehner. and maybe he gives lucifer a bad name comparing him to ted cruz. i hate ted cruz. i think i'll take cyanide if he ever got the nomination. >> if you kill ted cruz on the floor of the senate and the trial was in the senate, nobody could convict you.
12:05 am
>> president george w. bush apparently not a big fan of senator ted cruz. he was overheard saying, i just don't like the guy. >> there are a lot of good candidates. i like nearly all of them. >> nobody likes him. nobody in congress likes him. nobody likes him once they get to know him. >> ted cruz was my roommate. i did not like hyme at all in college. i want to be clear. ted cruz is a nightmare of a human being. i plaid 10ty of problems with his politics but truthfully, his personality is so awful that 99% of why i hate him is just his personality. >> what's it like to be the most hated man in america? >> well, it's great to be with you. >> joining me now, republican congressman from pennsylvania, charlie dent, who has endorsed john kasich for president. well, congressman? is that your feeling about the man that stands as the last best hope to stop donald trump from getting 1237? >> well, first, let me say i'm a john kasich guy.
12:06 am
with respect to john boehner's comments all i can say is somebody should contact lucifer for comment, he may be upset about these remarks. the comment about the miserable s.o.b., that's a pretty harsh statement from john boehner, i probably wouldn't have used the word miserable. but i got to tell you, look, ted cruz created these problems. you reap what you sow. and that's part of the problem with this never trump movement is that they really have to get behind an acceptable alternative. and ted cruz is frankly not an acceptable alternative. that's why many of us want john kasich because he is acceptable. i think we should have that very important conversation. >> but here's the problem, right? the people -- to play devil's advocate for at least giving the side i think cruz would, right, which is that, yeah, you charlie dent, you member of congress, like john kasich, he's acceptable to some set of folks. donors, a certain type of republican. but not enough republican voters, who are not voting for him.
12:07 am
the hatred toward ted cruz is directed at him because he's done things that have made you and john boehner and others' lives difficult by carrying the attorney for true conservatism. >> my argument would be his carrying on during the government shutdown, that was just a failed tactic, a failed strategy. everybody knew it at the time. many of us spoke out against it. and for our comments and for our honesty we were called capitulators, surrenderers, we weren't good enough, didn't measure up, we weren't pure. that rankled a lot of people to be candid. he has himself to blame for this. john kasich, i'll tell you this, in swing states like pennsylvania and ohio and wisconsin and new hampshire, john kasich is beating hillary clinton, in most cases by over double digits. i'm worried about electability. i'd like to defeat hillary clinton. i just don't think either donald trump or ted cruz could actuly win a general election.
12:08 am
>> diagnostically, i happen to agree. but there's a small problem which is it's going to be a little hard for your party to hand the nomination to a guy that is currently running behind marco rubio, no longer in the race in terms of delegates. >> yeah, i mean, in some states obviously -- look, donald trump had a very good night tuesday. he had a good night the week before in new york. so i'm not operating under illusions. but at least on tuesday night, john kasich finished ahead of ted cruz in four of five states. he certainly finished ahead of in new york state by a significant margin as well. it depends what part of of the country we're in. i could make a strong case that john kasich is much more -- has much more appeal even among republicans. >> do you think colleagues of yours -- 11 now who have endorsed donald trump -- are we going to see the flood gates open as everyone essentially resigns themselves to this and says, all right, i guess that is our guy? >> i don't know. look, i think -- i believe a lot of my colleagues are not going to rush to endorse donald trump.
12:09 am
i think many of them will cross that bridge once they get to it. i think they will wait until they see what happens at this convention before they would make a determination whether or not they would endorse him. >> so you think we're going to wait -- people are going to hold their fire, keep their powder dry, until july in cleveland, we're not going to see some big essentially coalescing where people say, you know what, this is what we got, we're going to embrace it? >> well, where i agree with ted cruz, he said indiana's going to be a pretty important state. and if not indiana, california. the question is can we deny donald trump 1,237 delegates prior to cleveland? obviously that's still possible. but that could slip away. if we go to an open convention, again i think you're going to see a lot more of my colleagues going in with an eye toward the fall and that's what a lot of us are banking on that they are looking at electability. that's when john kasich becomes a lot more interesting. >> the fall train may be pulling out of the station with all due respect.
12:10 am
>> it may be. >> charlie dent, thank you for your time. joining me, contributing editor for "rolling stone" magazine. there's so many things about the dynamics as they have ended up, the level of contempt, it almost does actually make me like ted cruz. i'm serious. >> reverse psychology. >> the old hated, all the right enemies, hated by the right people. i've always liked john boehner, had a soft spot for him. but it is true the reason they hate him is because he made their life miserable. >> right. >> he would say because of principle. >> yeah, but it's like his roommate said. it's also his personality. >> the dagger. >> there's something about ted cruz, he's the kind of guy who would be the first person even in a lifeboat, you know? i saw an article today in the bbc, ten people who loathe ted cruz. and you could tell the author had a tough time limiting it to ten. there's just an incredible antipathy out there towards this
12:11 am
candidate. he's very, very difficult to like if you're not with him in that enraged anti-establishment mode that he's always in. >> and that i think is also the reason that -- part of the reason i think the never trump thing really sort of lost steam before it ever gathered much was the idea that rallying around ted cruz -- because "a," i think no one thinks he's particularly electable. "b," the idea how were going to build up this guy then take it away from him? started to seem more and more implausible. >> the time to do this never trump thing was quite a long time ago. probably i would even say before new hampshire. and the republican party completely mismanaged the situation by -- maybe of course it's not up to them, but they had so many candidate in the race that they split up all the support between them, all the various factions. if they had one or two people who were just opposing trump from the very beginning, we might have had a plausible
12:12 am
alternative, somebody like rubio, god knows even jeb bush would still be alive right now. but they took that off the table early. >> do you think -- one of the emerging themes here is, okay, we're moving from a situation in which everything is being played out on a primary field to a general field, flight. >> right. >> and there's a belief that, oh, well, trump can turn it around because he proved the skeptics wrong in the primary. >> right. >> now he's going to prove the skeptics wrong here. you've been doing reporting on politics and campaigns and the talking to voters for years. >> right. >> what's your read on that? >> well, look. the numbers clearly do not favor trump. if you talk to people who do polling for a living, they'll tell you it's virtually an impossibility that he would have to win something somewhere upwards of 75% of white males to win the election, which would be an impossibility. but at the very beginning of this race i said, trump is somebody not to be taken lightly, and he's consistently outperformed media expectations over and over and over again.
12:13 am
and he seems to do very well in these one-on-one combat situations when he's placed against another politician in direct combat. and if he -- god knows how he'll fare in a long battle with hillary clinton. it's hard to say. clearly it looks like hillary would win easily, but you just never know. i mean, stranger things have happened in this race. >> your reporting on him i think captured the fact that there is this sort of -- he's got something figured out and that then he's figured out is a thing that doesn't just apply to the primary electorate. there is some kind of core message and dynamism to him that makes him potent politically. >> he's probably the first of a new generation of politicians who understands that the moment to moment victories in the internet -- >> attention. >> attention in the sort of 24-hour cable environment --
12:14 am
>> the worst. >> is absolutely of the utmost importance. it has almost nothing to do with policy, nothing to do with constituencies. it has to do with media hits, all those things. >> it's literally the death struggle for attention. this is a person who came up in the swamps of new york tabloid culture who understands it better than anyone. >> he has an unfailing instinct for getting attention. >> yeah. madison bumgarner taibbi, thank you for being here. still to come, bernie sanders still promises a political revolution but is it the same revolution he promised at the beginning of the campaign. >> next, donald trump's suggestion that hillary clinton has it easy because she's a woman. first, bonus sound bite time. today, the president made an impromptu, unplanned visit to the white house briefing room to field questions from a group of college journalists. even though the subject matter of the question was serious, the mood was light. might enough so that when president obama got a question from a student in indiana he simply could not pass up the opportunity to clown the basketball vocabulary of ted cruz.
12:15 am
>> this gentleman over here. i haven't for gotten about you. >> my question is about syrian refugees -- >> i thought you were going to ask about basketball.
12:16 am
12:17 am
general election's shaping up to be a contest between hillary clinton and donald trump, witnessing certain members of the political industrial complex if you like trying to convince themselves that it is going to be surprisingly close in november. let me stipulate, i have no idea how close it will be because i'm not in the business of predicting the future, especially when it comes to a race and as candidate as unpredictable as donald trump. this week we're seeing the emergence of a new narrative. trump can't beat clinton, who says yes, donald trump can beat hillary clinton, and in the words of one democratic strategist, trump will beat hillary like a baby seal. that straight gist, southern democrat dave mudcat saunders,
12:18 am
who's been around awhile, he advised the say underperforming jim webb primary bid. he head i know less than half a dozen white democrats in my part of the world who are going to vote for hillary. while that may be true she may face an uphill battle there's evidence donald trump's weakness could have more impact. 2012, mitt romney lost latino voters by a huge margin, 27% voted for him, 71% for president obama. donald trump currently is on track to do even worse with an unfavorable rating of 77% among hispanics as of early march. on top of that his candidacy is driving a massive spike in voter registration, meaning latinos could make up a larger share of the 2016 electorate. women, 2012 mitt romney won married women by a comfortable mar gyp, 53% to 46%, and still
12:19 am
lost the election. donald trump will be, if current trends hold, very, very lucky to come anywhere close to that performance. 70% of married women likely to vote in the general have an unfavorable view of him, according to an online poll by bloomberg politics. up to now the question has been whether trump could change his tone and keep his mouth shut once he started running against one of the most prominent and accomplished women in the country. and this week we got our answer. >> she is playing the woman's card. she's said -- everything she says is about the woman's card. and frankly all i'm doing is bringing out the obvious. and without the woman's card, hillary would not even be a viable person to run for a city council position. >> are you saying in this country people vote simply based on gender? >> i don't think they vote on gender, no. i think they vote for security. i think they vote for jobs. that's why i'm doing so well. that's why i'm leading the republicans by a lot. >> to say if she were not a woman she would be getting 5%
12:20 am
suggests the only thing she has going for her is that she was a woman, not that she's a former senator, a former secretary of state, a lawyer. do you understand why some people find that to be kind of a demeaning comment? >> no, i find it to be a true comment. the only thing she's got going is the fact that she's a woman. >> here's an important thing. it's not just turn. when the candidate talks that way it sends a signal for surrogates and anyone else that cheap shots and worse are welcome paving the way for this gem from a gop official in florida, i think when donald trump debates hillary clinton she's going to go down like monica lewinski. that's an actual quote, sorry i read that. joining me, maria teresa kumar, president of an organization devoted to engaging latinos in electoral politics. that comment is disgusting and i only highlight it for this reason. that is just the beginning. just the tip of the iceberg. just the beginning of what is going to a completely historically unprecedented
12:21 am
avalanche of comments like that about hillary clinton and her gender for the next six months. >> i have to say that unfortunately, instead of widening the bate like the rnc had done in the 2013 autopsy report when they realized in order to win the white house was the latino vote and the woman vote, they've doubled down with donald trump and he's going the opposite direction. sure the strategy of trying to get as many white males to vote for him would have worked 50 years ago when the demographics were on their side. they are no longer. i think a lot of republicans behind closed doors, that's one of the reasons why they're encouraging ted cruz and kasich to continue down this brokered convention idea so that they can work hand blocks so when it comes to the convention they have a shot at the white house. and at their brands. at this moment there's very few latinos, very few women, listening to the republican message because of how they are treating not just the front-runner but more importantly how they're talking about these very important critical issues that are
12:22 am
impacting heads of households every single day. >> just tell me honestly, when you hear that -- >> on national tv? >> i'm serious, when you hear -- look, these things hit my ears, i'm a man. when you hear that kind of stuff which he's doubling down on, she's just there because she's a woman, what goes through your head, how do you feel when you hear that? >> actually what struck me when he said -- what he said earlier was when this idea that she does not have the stamina or the strength? i found that more incredibly insulting. did he not see her in front of the benghazi committee, literally there for hours, beating out every single senator. she has an incredible power. when it comes to being able to manage a family and career, she's at the top of her game. is she a perfect candidate? possibly not but the fact that he's going after what women have
12:23 am
to struggle with day in and day out, having to constantly try to prove themselves, is a complete turn-off. and for -- not just for women. there's so many men that hear this that see strong women by their sides or have great aspirations for their daughters saying, what is it you're talking about? this is a conversation we should have had 60, 70 years ago. you're trying to turn back the future of america. you're not paving the future. >> yeah, let's talk about the registration numbers for latinos which i've been monitoring closely, i think is really interesting. we saw sort of anecdotal evidence, particularly the early phase of the trump campaign, this was a motivating factor for folks. and the real question is does that motivation turn into organization and behavior? what do you think you're seeing? >> donald trump has been an incredible grass roots organizationer, not just to mobilize women but african-americans, muslim-americans, and yes, latinos. this is almost the candidate we've been waiting for. because people are pricking up their ears and recognizing how
12:24 am
high the stakes are. reminiscent of california touring pete wilson when he tried to pass proposition 187. up to that point california was a swing state. it was blue sometimes, sometimes red. this is right now what donald trump is doing is basically creating a proposition 187 for america, where latinos are standing up and saying, you are not going to racial profile my family, you are not going to try to marginalize me as not being a member of a community, do not tell me i'm not american. folks are doubling down. >> that is a great analogy. maria teresa kumar, thank you very much. still ahead, while bernie sanders' campaign may be in trouble, the movement around him is still very, very much alive. how he could be redirecting the revolution coming up. this just got interesting. why pause to take a pill? or stop to find a bathroom? cialis for daily use is approved to treat both erectile dysfunction and the urinary symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently, day or night. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions
12:25 am
and medicines, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, or adempas for pulmonary hypertension, as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, get medical help right away for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or any symptoms of an allergic reaction, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis and a $200 savings card stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. you could love you prpepperoni any more. we... life's full of surprises. our new pepperoni rolls. pepperoni and three cheeses rolled in our fresh dough. get six for just five dollars. papajohns.com
12:26 am
primary election season has racked up remarkable images of long lines of people waiting to vote. i was at a polling site at marquette university in milwaukee, wisconsin. the polls had closed in the wisconsin primary. the lines snaked through the building there. long lines that day were attributed to at least a couple of factors. democratic party spokesperson blamed the slow line on wisconsin's new photo i.d. law. strict photo i.d. laws tend to affect people of color disproportionately as well as young folks like college students. the long line i was at attributed to new voters trying to register that day. same-day registration in wisconsin is considered a good thing, it doesn't require people to register when they can miss a deadline. but there are ways of making it even easier to vote. coming up a little later, how four states have solved the voter registration mess with just one simple trick. stay tuned.
12:27 am
12:28 am
12:29 am
12:30 am
in november of 2014, the midterm elections, 63% of the american people did not vote. 80% of young people and low-income people did not vote. and i think the reason for that is the democratic party up to now has not been clear about
12:31 am
which side they are on on the major issues facing this country. >> senator bernie sanders is indeed shifting his strategy. maybe the political revolution is no longer dependent on winning the democratic nomination but it appears about getting the democratic establishment to fully embrace his progressive platform and vision. today in oregon he seemed to be questioning whether the democratic party can preserve the grassroots enthusiasm that he's helped ignite in certain quarters. from the very beginning of this campaign there have been concerns the democratic side would be less energized than the republicans this primary season. last month the washington times ran a piece titled "donald trump drives gop record turn out, democrats lack enthusiasm." but as we get closer to general election with the increasing possibility of trump atop the republican ticket, complacency doesn't appear to be a problem for democrats. after tuesday's primaries, 69% of democrats in pennsylvania, including majorities of both clinton and sanders voters, said
12:32 am
the campaign had energized the party. on the republican side, exit polls show only 39% said the primaries had energized the party, while nearly 60% of voters in pennsylvania on the republican side said the primary process had divided the party. that divide can be felt in the senate as some republican leaders seem anxious about the down-ballot effects of a trump nothing nation. the gop nominee could make all the difference whether republicans keep or close their slim senate majority this fall. cornell, there are a bunch of vulnerable republicans in cycle, in the senate, it's set up to be a decent year for democrats no matter what happens atop the ticket. what do we know about the candidate at the top of the ticket affecting those races? >> well, i'm going to be a little contrarian here in listening to your last segment. i think democrats are putting far too much hope in the idea
12:33 am
that we can simply galvanize core democratic base voters around hatred or dislike or unfavorables toward trump. i think that's fool's gold. young voters, for example. we do really well when young voters make up a larger swath of the electorate than do seniors and bernie sanders is absolutely right, in the last off year you saw a huge difference in proportion of electorate from seniors and young voters. when young voters make up a larger share of the electorate, in 2014 they made up 6% less of the electorate than in 2012. that margin of difference between winning and losing for democrats. but this ideal -- we've seen, you know, african-americans went crazy about george bush. young voters went crazy about george bush. but they didn't go out in record numbers and vote against george bush. i think barack obama's magic of that movement we created and i worked on the obama campaign, we gave young voters something to vote for. i think if i were at the hillary campaign or the dnc, what would
12:34 am
keep me up at night is how do we grow that proportion of the electorate, especially with young voters that will match up to what we had in 2008 and 2012? and we've got to find something to do it other than just extreme dislike of trump. i think we're betting too much on mobilizing around dislike of trump. >> that is interesting because you are correct that that has become a kind of, if not consensus, a sort of article of faith among certain circles of sort of democratic politicians and politicos, that negative mobilization, that trump will solve whatever enthusiasm problem there is because he will be so loathed that people will be so fearful and he'll sob outrageous on the campaign trail. what is the solution to producing the kind of turnout, particularly in states that may not be heavily contested in a democratic election, like say illinois, which is going to go to the democrat, but there's a contested senate race, to get the turnout you need to kind of drive a democratic victory?
12:35 am
>> one, you know, candidates really do matter. good candidates in these seats -- did you talk to folks at the democratic senatorial campaign committee i think they'd argue they've had a great year of recruiting and they're raising the right money. you also need the right environment. and 2008, not only did we pick up senate seats, we picked up house seats, picked up house seats that amazed some of us. 2012 we picked up senate seats and were able to pick up house seats. the top of the ticket and that growth and expansion of the electorate, that's what you need from the top of the ticket, the energize and bring out newer and younger voters. if we don't keep expanding the electorate, democrats don't keep expanding the electorate and realizing the changing face of the electorate, it becomes problematic. even if you look at polls right now, donald trump is not a highly favored candidate but when you look at white independents it's not like hillary clinton is running far ahead of where barack obama was with white independent voters.
12:36 am
>> right. she is going to need to mobilize, and that mobilization at the scale that it happened in '08 and '12 has only ever happened with one person atop the ticket, barack obama. >> and they are obama voters. what has been a problem is they haven't necessarily been democratic voters. you know this you talk about this all time. you have this young cohort of voters who are increasingly independent. and they came out because barack obama gave them something to come out for. i think democrats face a lot of trouble and it's almost lazy if we think that donald trump is going to solve our problem with these young voters, particularly these younger brown and black voters. >> cornell belcher, thank you for joining us. in congress, you probably shouldn't propose legislation you don't actually want to see passed just to prove a point. because other members just might call your bluff.
12:37 am
12:38 am
>> i'm alex trebek. if you're age 50 to 85, i have an important message about security. write down the number on your screen, so you can call when i finish. the lock i want to talk to you about isn't the one on your door. this is a lock for your life insurance, a rate lock, that guarantees your rate can never go up at any time, for any reason. but be careful. many policies you see do not have one, but you can get a lifetime rate lock through the colonial penn program. call this number to learn more. this plan was designed with a rate lock for people on a fixed income who want affordable life insurance that's simple to get. coverage options for just $9.95 a month, less than 35 cents a day. act now and your rate will be locked in for life. it will never increase, guaranteed. this is lifelong coverage that can never be cancelled as long as you pay your premiums,
12:39 am
guaranteed. and your acceptance is guaranteed, with no health questions. you cannot be turned down because of your health. call for your information kit and read about this rate lock for yourself. you'll also get a free gift with great information both are free, with no obligation, so don't miss out. call for information, then decide. read about the 30 day, 100 percent money back guarantee. don't wait, call this number now. ♪
12:40 am
last year the defense department announced the military would open up all combat roles to women. the news was welcomed by many in both military and political circles. but not by all. among those in opposition, republican congressman duncan hunter of california, former marine who served in iraq and afghanistan, and he's criticized the plan from the start. in fact, he's so against the idea of women in combat, earlier this year he attacked navy secretary's support calling him a greater threat to the marine corps than isis. that's where duncan hunter is on the subject. the congressman proposed an amendment to a defense bill requiring women to register for the draft. as hunter told his house colleague, "right now the draft is sexist." yet according to him making it less sexist women would be forced into ugly situations on the battlefield. >> the draft is there to get more people to rip the enemy's throats out and kill them for our nation.
12:41 am
sanctioned by the u.s. government. that's what a draft is for. now, i may vote no on my own amendment. >> okay. turns out congressman hunter didn't actually want his own amendment to pass, he only offered it to force discussion on the issue of women in combat. and then, well, a funny thing happened in the house armed services committee. the fate of duncan hunter's amendment in 60 seconds.
12:42 am
duncan hunter, congressman of california, proposed a measure requiring women to register for the draft. a measure he, congressman duncan hunter of california, opposes. he proposed it to provoke conversation on women in combat, an issue hunter, former marine, is also against. what hunter found out is many his colleagues in the house armed services committee thought that requiring women to register for the draft is, well, actually a good idea. >> i do want to correct my colleague from california. as he painted the picture of the only reason for the draft is to go into frontline combat, that is not true.
12:43 am
we all know many people who were drafted in world war ii, korea, vietnam, who served in other positions, not the infantry. i think if we want equality in this country, we want women to be treated precisely like men are treated and they should not be discriminated against, we should be willing to support a universal conscription. so while you may be offering this as a gotcha amendment, i would suggest that there's great merit in recognizing that each of us have an obligation to be willing to serve our country in time of war. >> or, in other words, you played yourself. house armed services committee backed congressman duncan hunter's amendment 32-30. it goes to the house for full consideration. among those who voted against it? congressman duncan hunter. oops.
12:44 am
12:45 am
one of ted cruz's elected delegates in virginia, a state
12:46 am
senator named dic black, has traveled to syria to praise the government of president bashar al ashaud. black has no role in foreign policy, he took it upon himself to promise to fight for better relations between the u.s. and assad. in addition to being elected as a cruz-backing delegate, black serves as cochairman for the cruz campaign in virginia. but after word of his visit with members of assad's government became public yesterday, one of his aides told the associated press that black had resigned as co-chair of the cruz campaign shortly before his trip to avoid any possible distraction related to that trip. why might black's visit to syria and his promise to support assad create distransactions? well -- here's one example. the past two days the rebel-held city of aleppo has been under assault from air strikes leaving more than 60 dead. one direct target was an active hospital supported by doctors without boreders and red cross which has served as the main referral center for children in aleppo. more than a dozen people were
12:47 am
killed at that hospital. at least three children are among them. doctors without borders confirmed three of the eight doctors who work there are dead, including one of the last pediatricians in all of the city of aleppo. to put that in perspective, aleppo is syria's second-largest city with 3.5 million in it. who is responsible for this horrific direct strike on a children's hospital? >> the facts and circumstances are still coming in. the indications that we have now, and again this just happened, are that these were -- these strikes were conducted by the regime. solely by the regime. >> that bombing was solely by the regime of bashar al assad is what the state department believes and there's good reason to think they're bright. assad's forces are responsible for more than 180,000 deaths in syria since 2011, which is a number too big to even comprehend as anything real. this presidential campaign has seen candidates spend far, far,
12:48 am
far more time talking about isis and the scourge of isis than the assad regime, partly because americans don't view assad as a threat to them, and partly because isis likes to advertise its brutality to americans, assad is more interested in obscuring his own. but make no mistake, the assad ring jet stream has engaged in one of the most ghastly campaigns of slaughter and war crimes in this century and there is no just solution or any solution for the horror of syria that does not hold him to account.
12:49 am
this just got interesting. why pause to take a pill? or stop to find a bathroom? cialis for daily use is approved to treat both erectile dysfunction and the urinary symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently, day or night. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medicines, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, or adempas for pulmonary hypertension, as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, get medical help right away for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or any symptoms of an allergic reaction, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis and a $200 savings card
12:50 am
i'm spending too muchs for time hiringnter. stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. and not enough time in my kitchen. (announcer) need to hire fast? go to ziprecruiter.com and post your job to over 100 of the web's leading job boards with a single click. then simply select the best candidates from one easy to review list. you put up one post and the next day you have all these candidates. makes my job a lot easier. (announcer) over 400,000 businesses have already used ziprecruiter. and now you can use ziprecruiter for free. go to ziprecruiter.com/offer6
12:51 am
12:52 am
today the state of vermont joined the ranks of just three other states in the entire country to make it easier, much easier, to register to vote. the policy so simple, it makes you wonder why the other 46 states aren't doing it too. governor pete shumlin signed a law that automatically registered eligible voters to vote when they apply for a driver's license or state i.d., unless they opt out. apply for i.d., you're registered to vote. set it and forget it. a the law will go into effect on july 1, 2017. a little over a year ago no states had automatic voter registration, now there are four. over 20 states with legislation pending. there is unfortunately a strong counter prevailing force at work, the number of states that require some form of voter i.d., particularly straights with strict photo i.d. requirements. 17 states, states either require or request a photo i.d., in all
12:53 am
more than 30 states require or request some kind of i.d. to vote. studies show that such laws affect voters of color disproportionately. which conservative politicians sometimes admit. former senator jim demint, president of the heritage foundation, recently said this -- >> the left fights voter i.d. or any kind of picture i.d. to know that it is actually a registered voter who's voting. and so it's something we're working on all over the country. because in the states where they do have voter i.d. laws, you've seen actually elections begin to change towards more conservative candidates. >> how about that. 18 state dozen not request i.d., usually just having the voter sign a card. vermont does not require i.d. to vote. the state got behind the idea it should also be easy to register. joining me, host of "the majority report." vermont's on -- this is a new thing?
12:54 am
this is a new trend. >> it's super exciting. the thing that's really exciting about vermont and west virginia is that they passed with overwhelming bipartisan support. overwhelming, in both instances there was one no vote. and so this is something that is a big difference than what you heard christie or covac saying after it passed in oregon and california on partisan lines. so i think this is hopefully some good news about perhaps a change in the war on voting that we've seen the last six years. the reason i think conservative politicians can get behind it is because it actually makes the rules cleaner. >> right. >> it's much cheaper because you're getting the paper out of the system. and people just want their government to work efficiently. and there's nothing efficient about the way we register voters and most places when we go into the dmv. >> it's amazing how difficult it is. it strikes me from a political perspective, both on sort of first principle moral grounds
12:55 am
and in terms of political expediency, this is the kind of thing that every democratic politician at the state level should be advocating for. >> yeah. >> no-brainer. >> a total no-brainer for democrats. the interesting thing about west virginia is they did that in hand with the sort of a partial voter i.d. law as well. so that's sort of the way that they came together. but you know, the thing that undergirds this from the right, at least based upon what i have heard, some complaints, is this notion that this is opening the door for hundreds of thousands of undocumented immigrants to vote, because this is the secret back door. they go in and register, they get their driver's license, all they have to do is just check off a box that says that they're american citizens, and then they register. as if then all of these people are going to risk the idea that they could get deported so they can vote presumably for the local comptroller or something.
12:56 am
i mean, this is absurd. but that is what -- that's interesting. that's the counter argument. >> that is what the counter argument is. in addition to the fact that they're nakedly partisan about it. the congressman from wisconsin after the wisconsin voting who said, out and out, with voter i.d. laws, it's going to help us win the presidency. >> i'm blue skying here, bear with me. it always occurs to me that at every moment in my life, the government in some sense has known where i lived. >> right. >> almost by definition. >> that is -- -- it's called the post office. they always know my address. if you have an address, it is known. so it also seems that you could create a universe in which everyone was just registered at their address. >> why is it that we make men sign up for the selective service and they're not like, we know you're an american, we know that you're over 18, register you to vote. that's the premise behind automatic registration. at some point we're going to get
12:57 am
all of the agencies that have reliable information about citizenship, that have reliable information about age, and we're going to use them to register people to vote, unless you say that you don't want to be. and that's sort of the beauty of the system. right now we're starting with dmvs because under the current voter law they have to already offer registration services. >> so that was passed in '94, clinton. the motor vehicle law gave the option to register to vote when you -- >> you have to be presented with the option. but you have to opt in. that's sort of the difference between the automatic registration is that it flips the default. instead of having to scream and yell, register me, you're on unless you say, you know what, i don't want to. >> i have to say, i've never ledge administered to vote independently of moving to a place and getting a license. i don't think, honestly, if you asked me to go register to vote in new york tomorrow, i would have any idea, literally any idea how to do that. all i know is that when i moved here and got a new york license, i checked the box. i had no idea how to do it independently of that. >> i don't have any recollection whatsoever of ever registering
12:58 am
at any given time. i must have. i vote. but yeah. it's obvious, and it's not just -- like you say, it's not just the draft. they have our social security numbers. right? so when i get a telephone or get anything, essentially, they seem to have my social security number. >> medicaid. >> it's crazy how much knowledge there is about who you are, you're age, whether you're qualified to vote, where you live, over the range of government. >> we need to get these government agencies -- have their technology in a way that when they get the information, it's just electronically sent over, it's a very clean and easy process. this is not rocket science. >> it can be done? >> it totally can be done, it's going to be done. one of the things that i remember is that in 2010, we only had six states that do online registration. now more than 34 of them have online registration. like once this starts taking off and it stops being this new
12:59 am
thing, especially now that we have two states that have done this on a bipartisan basis, it's going to speak for itself, it's going to sell itself. election officials are like, it's a lot cheaper because we don't have to do the hand entry. >> california, it will be interesting to see what turnout looks like. make it easier but you've still got to get to go do it. that is "all in" for this evening. "the rachel maddow show" starts right now. thanks at home for joining us. jane sanders here tonight for the interview. the wife of bernie sanders is going to be joining us live in just a couple minutes. i'm very excited about that. especially because this is such a crucial time in the democratic race for the presidential nomination. jane sanders here in just a moment. there's also interesting and important international news tonight as well with vice president biden heading back to iraq today for the first time in five years. we're going to be taking a look at what is really, really, really important about that trip.
1:00 am
we've also got some news on the most delightful international holiday i have ever heard of. and in just a moment we've got news which i don't think has been reported anywhere else about a surprising consequence of the presidential race thus far. it's new information, it's hard data that i think will probably make democrats very, very happy and i think it will probably make republicans very worried. you have not heard this elsewhere. it is new data out today and i found it almost impossible to believe until i triple-checked it. that is coming up. that said, today i have to tell you, for the second straight day we had a very telling turn of events on the republican side of the presidential race. now, in presidential politics or any politics it is never a good sign for any politician when the best way they can think of to get everybody's attention, the best gambit they have for getting lots of cameras and people to show up as they speak as

34 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on