Skip to main content

tv   MSNBC Live  MSNBC  May 17, 2016 1:00pm-2:01pm PDT

1:00 pm
like you should be hung in a public execution to show this world that we won't stand for this sort of corruption. >> what you heard is a few of the thousands of e-mails and texts and facebook messages and twitter messages that i've got, threats to my family, to my grandson, to my husband. they've attacked a place where i have a daytime job. this is my volunteer job. they're attacked my workplace and they've said very awful things. as a state party, it's my responsibility to let the dnc know what happened in nevada, to let them know that those threats have been threatened to carry into the dnc convention. >> dnc's debbie wasserman schultz put out a statement today. senate minority leader harry
1:01 pm
reid is also weighing in on this. >> i talked to him on thursday, on friday, and a few minutes ago. we had a very long conversation, for me, i think we talked for ten minutes or maybe a little longer. he said that he condemns that, i'm confidence he does. i'm confident he will be saying something about it soon. this is a test of leadership, as we all know, and i'm hopeful and very confident senator sanders will do the right thing. >> i want to bring in new, msnbc's chris jansing. who has been covering some of this and you're with the sanders campaign and bernie sanders just put out a statement. what's their perspective on this, chris? >> reporter: it's a completely different perspective than we heard from harry reid. if he was looking for a cumbaya statement, they didn't get it. they denounced the violence, they called for calm before the convention happened. he's said afterwards that he does not condone any kind of
1:02 pm
violence. having said that, they also say that they understand what has motivated the frustration, what they call high levels of frustration. chris, i spent the last hour on the phone with two of bernie sanders' bigger supporters, one his campaign manager jeff weaver who told me, quote, they ran rough shot over him, meaning bernie sanders, with the way the rules played out at that convention in nevada. and he said that any suggestion that there was violence that was condoned by the sanders campaign, and i'm quoting jeff sanders here, they want to use this as a pretext for mistreating us at the national convention. you can see the level of frustration, tension between the sanders campaign, clinton supporters, harry reid, debbie wasserman schultz is only escalating over there. and then he said, where is the fairness? the chairmanwoman and the standing committees in nevada were all pro clinton.
1:03 pm
after i talked to him and the conversation continued along those lines. they really feel as though they were mistreated there. as he said to me on sunday night, that the finger was on the scale for hillary clinton by the head of the democratic party in nevada. i called former ohio state senator nina turner, she's been a vocal supporter of senator sanders. she was there for eight hours. she told me she was there from 10:00 to 6:00, she believes it's a pretext by the hillary clinton campaign, that they're trying to present sanders' supporters as somehow being rebel rousers, as being violent, when in fact, all they're asking for is fairness, that there was no fairness. there weren't even enough chairs. that at one point she claims they threatened to arrest one of the people who came there representing bernie sanders, because she didn't have the proper credentials. this is not something that is
1:04 pm
going to be settled quickly or quietly, chris. judging by my conversations with the sanders' side. everyone i've spoken to from tadd define to jeff weaver, to nina turner, one of his most visible supporters, absolutely denouncing violence, but when i asked nina turner, does she think this is something with implications for the democratic national convention, she said, yes, chris. >> that's really interesting to hear. chris jansing, thank you for that. kasie hunt has been with the clinton campaign. and kasie, my sense is they are basically staying out of this, at least in terms of the campaign itself. allies of theirs have been speaking out, but in terms of the headquarters here in brooklyn, not speaking to this very much. >> that's right, chris. i was just e-mailing with a senior clinton official who says that they do not have a statement at this point on what's gone on. i think if you talk to people on the sanders' side, they would
1:05 pm
posit that the statements out of the democratic national committee and other places the state party represents clinton's interests. i don't think the clinton campaign would embrace that view, but that's definitely the sense among many. harry reid in particular, a major player here, you played what he had to say about this earlier today. he's been paying close attention to what has gone on. but i think the concern overall for clinton's supporters and remember, what came out of this convention is exactly what we expected based on the results of the nevada election. it was 20 delegates for hillary clinton, 15 for bernie sanders, based on the fact that she won the contest in nevada. so the question here is, does this foreshadow something more -- something trickier, a bigger problem that could present itself on the convention floor in philadelphia? and chris jansing was just touching on this a little bit. this is part of why, for example, the clinton campaign
1:06 pm
has -- and i realize we're jumping around the map little bit here, but the clinton campaign has been very focused on kentucky the last couple days. they have to figure out how to get the sanders supporters into the fold somehow. and every video that you're seeing right now, just makes it more difficult to bring those sanders supporters around. chris? >> thank you both for those dispatches. harry inton, senior political write 538, susan del percio, and author of black eth nicks. it's getting real out there. like, it is nasty. so let me start with a few stipulations. i think mathematically the sanders people have a point, independent of how they behaved. i think it was 52.6% for hillary clinton, which should be 19-16. so we're talking about two
1:07 pm
delegates here, at a time when hillary clinton's pledge lead is 300 delegates. i would also say it can be the case that it is true, it is institutionally the prerogative of the democratic party to nominate hillary clinton and also she is winning. it seems to me, that's the issue here. yeah, sure the democratic party of nevada does what harry reid says, you know what i mean? also, she won. >> i think that's exactly right. i think that the argument, for example, that hillary clinton wants to foment this dissension that appears in philadelphia, makes no sense to me. hillary clinton would like nothing more than to be done with this. i'm sure if she could go back in time and hand him those two delegates and avoid all this kerfuffle, she'd be happy to do so. but you're right, the democratic national committee is mostly leaning towards preferring to have hillary clinton, but she's swept the state. >> she has the map there, but what's really interesting is
1:08 pm
what chris jansing said at the end of her report. they are not going quickly or quietly. and this is going straight to the convention, this is going to be problematic for hillary clinton, all the way, especially if she's getting attacked from the right at the same time, because she is assumed to be the presumptive nominee, not as much as donald trump, but she certainly mathematically is going to win the nomination. >> i think this also exposes another problem, the frustration with bernie sanders' supporters where it feels that debbie wasserman schultz has always had her finger on the scale for hillary clinton. >> i just to be clear, both things are true. like it is clearly the case that when given truth serum, debbie wasserman schultz vastly prefers hillary clinton to be the nominee, and to the extent that there are things that can be
1:09 pm
done to facilitate that outcome, they are being done. it is also the case that hillary clinton has won more votes in this contest, and that is why right now, she's slated to be the nominee. >> right, you don't get to 55% of the vote nationally on the democratic side unless people like you and are voting for you. when you hear words like rigged and when the sanders folks say, the violence is no good, with you when they say things are unfair, it keeps the message going, that, hey, the democratic party doesn't want us, let's show them what we're made of. >> it also keeps them from participating down the road. hillary clinton is not that well liked. her unfavorable numbers are quite unhigh. now can -- are quite high. the question is, can she get
1:10 pm
bernie sanders supporters to fall in line? >> if they don't want trump to be president. but the party has nothing on bernie sanders. there's nothing they can give him, deliver to him, or threaten him with. the only thing that will matter is his belief in who he wants to be the leader. >> and he started off with leading a movement. he didn't start out to win this thing, he started out to lead a movement, to keep hillary clinton of the of center, not center. so he is continuing his goals all the way to the end. bernie sanders is not a democrat. he's an independent from vermont. they got nothing on him. what will be interesting to see, how long does he hold out, give a full-throated endorsement of hillary clinton or say she's better than the other guy? >> when you look at the polling today, what is it, 48-45 when
1:11 pm
the latest survey monkey weekly online tracking poll, okay, survey monkey. what is happening on the republican side, we are seeing consolidation around the nominee like you would expect from a normal nominee. on the democratic side, that division remains, and it remains intense. the big question is, when does that cash out? because if you go back eight years, it was the high water mark of puma-ism and hillary dead enders who said i'll never vote for the guy, that dissipated. >> that goes back to your point, the democrats don't have any leverage over bernie sanders. 15% of the delegates are super delegates, they can vote for whoever they want to. she would have clinched the nomination by virtue of the delegates that are remaining out there. so because of that, in most cases, the challenger to a democratic nominee will have dropped out, because he is a democrat, he is committed to the
1:12 pm
party being successful. >> fund-raising opportunities and -- >> all connected, exactly right. so i don't know that there is -- sanders says he's going to keep pushing california. they judst had more staff turnover there. i think it's a question of money at this point and energy. but there's no reason for him not to be -- >> i think a big difference between now and 2008, clinton and obama in many ways were very similar. clinton and sanders are not. [ all speak at once ] >> bernie sanders also has high favorable numbers. and also, hillary clinton did a lot of hard work from the convention to november. and she traveled the country, and she -- bernie sanders is like, it's her job to come and get my people, i don't need to do anything, which is highly problematic for the democrats. her favorables among democrats are quite high, around 70%.
1:13 pm
the favorability challenges she has are outside the democratic party. but we've seen her favorability among democrats decline over the course of the primary, which is what you would anticipate given the longer it plays out. my big thing, i've gone back and studied the 1980 race with kennedy and carter and that kennedy speech, it was a very similar situation. kennedy didn't have the votes, went all the way to convention, made one last push on the floor to try to get those. they didn't. gave the speech, the dream will never tie, which is basically go screw yourself. it's like, no way is basically what that speech is. [ all speak at once ] >> they didn't do the hand-holding. so what jimmy carter did, entered into the general, completely battered and bruised and the next 12 years is reagan
1:14 pm
and bush. >> hillary clinton still leads in all the polls against donald trump. which is different because reagan had overtaken jimmy carter. >> and the other thing to think about the 1980 race, the cause and the effect, which is to say, that kennedy race went as long as it did because carter was weak. >> and hillary clinton has yet to be elected. >> still to come, donald trump says he's expanding the gop electorate. a key claim. is it true? we'll going to try to look at it. a new study shows there's little evidence to back up that particular trump claim. shocking. more on that when we come back. obviously, ohhh... but with added touches you can't get everywhere else, like claim free rewards... or safe driving bonus checks. even a claim satisfaction guaranteeeeeeeeeee! in means protection plus unique extras only from an expert allstate agent. it's good to be in, good hands
1:15 pm
1:16 pm
if you've gone to extremes to escapetry clarispray.ergies. new, from the makers of claritin. with the #1 prescribed ingredient. is it true? zing, runny nose and nasal congestion. return to the world with clarispray. is better for your skin than wearing no makeup at all? neutrogena® cosmetics. with vitamins and antioxidants. now with foundations in shades for more skin tones.
1:17 pm
billions are spent to confuse and, dare i say it, flummox the american public. "save 16% on car insurance." "switch now..." well at compare.com, we say enough's enough. so we constantly scrutinize millions of rates... answering the question once and for all, who has the lowest. just go to compare.com and get up to 50 free quotes. choose the lowest, and hit purchase. so you can get back to whatever it is you civilians do when you're not thinking about car insurance. compare.com
1:18 pm
>> we've taken in millions of people within the republican party. they came from the democrats, from the independents. and the thing i'm most proud of and i see it when i shake hands with people. every 20th person says to me, you know, mr. trump, i never, ever voted before. we're talking about 40-year-old people, about 50, you? are you going to vote and you never voted before? thank you, man. that's so cool. >> that's been the common theme for donald trump and he's been expanding the republican party, points to record turnouts in the primaries so far. but a new analysis finds there's not much proof to support the claim he's attracting millions of new voters. joining me now, nbc's hallie jackson. how does the math break down on this? >> when you look at the piece this morning in politico, it basically said that donald trump may be winning over republican
1:19 pm
primary voters, but these are people who are already voting reliably republican in a general election. so the point being made, all the talk about the general election election landscape changes, states put into play that maybe weren't before, looks at least at this point, rovoverblown, wh you look at some of those numbers. that said, allies to the trump campaign and trump himself has talked about trying to put states in play that maybe haven't been before, looking at places in the rough belt from donald trump can focus on and potentially be successful. so, for example, we have reporting from one of trump's new super pacs, i spoke with the national executive director who said, they will be looking at places like pennsylvania, new mexico, and arizona, as possible areas to inject some resources and money. it's not definitive yet as far as where they'll be spending. they want to hold off until it gets closer to the convention and the race focuses a little bit more. but it's a sign of where this outside money will be aiming.
1:20 pm
and what will it be going towards? not just new voter registration, but also of course media, even though there's a sense that the air waves this fall are going to be flooded, saturated with billions of dollars of advertisement up and down the ticket on both sides of the aisle. the big question is, can trump be effective? can his outside super pacs be effective and successful given frankly the very late start that they're getting in this campaign? i asked, how many millions of dollars did you lose out by not getting involved sooner? and the answer was, probably lots. but there's a sense that they can make it up, at least somewhat between now and november. the goal, i'm told, $20 million by the start of the convention in july, chris. >> hallie jackson outside trump towers, thank you for that. >> let's go back to the table. i thought this piece was fascinating, because it gets to a crucial analytic distinction that is often gloved over in
1:21 pm
primary coverage. primary voters are a different kind of voters than general election voters. the latter category is the biggest category. general election presidential voters, about 110 million people -- >> 130. >> 130 million votes. so you'rez1u
1:22 pm
1:23 pm
there's a motivation for democrats to come out and vote against donald trump as well, which i think donald trump just tries to ignore. >> and also some data that most people ignore, asian americans are also mobilizing against trump, so they usually don't show up in the polling. so the polling is inaccurate, because they -- it's very hard to get the -- that said, it's about ten million votes. george h.w. bush won in 1998. romney lost it by more than he lost latinos in 2012. when you think about it to me, this is a sort of perfect iconic example of the problems the republican party faces, because if you zoom out, there's no reason that asian americans should be voting as a group. like a filipino nurse in
1:24 pm
houston, and a third generation pakistani engineer and a fifth generation cop in san francisco, why is that a voting group? basically it's crafted in opposition to a sense that the republican party is a white male grievance party. so if he amps that up, there are going to be electoral effects. >> you have to look at it for the first time, in 2008, both parties went into the voting booth, both supporting their nominees. no matter who wins, to me, it's clinton and trump. they will be disliked and not trusted. that's what people are going to, to the voting booths, holding their nose and voting in spite of them not having anything they want. it's just what's the lesser of two evils.
1:25 pm
>> but there are people who are excited -- >> yes, but whoever is elected will have a high unfavorability -- >> unless things change. >> unless things change. and that's what hillary clinton is worried about, what is going to motivate her voters to get there, especially the bernie sanders' folks. what is going to force them to go? is donald trump going to be -- we know they don't like him, but will that be enough to vote against him? >> if you look at the polls right now, the combined clinton/trump vote in the low 80s. if you go back, it's somewhere around 90%. so there are a whole bunch of voters who say they're undecided. do they turn out and vote, and if they do, who do they turn out for? >> the other aspect of this, i remember an interview i had with an obama organizer in the south who had done civil rights look and said, we have this fantasy, we're going to turn out a bunch
1:26 pm
of african americans in the south. what you turn out african americans, the people who are not psyched about it, notice that too and they turn out as well. politics never happens in a vacuum, that you just mobilize your people and the people on the other side said, great for you. >> and some of the data that's been produced, obviously in the democratic party needs 90 to 93% of african americans to turn out the way that they have in the past. that means african americans need to be excited about hillary clinton, and not that she's looking on their door in october to make sure they're still on board. donald trump, it seems outlandish that any african american would vote for donald trump. however, almost all voters vote economically. if he's going to say, i can believe in jobs, here's how i'm going to bring them back, he can
1:27 pm
get people to pull over and that's worrisome for the democrats. >> and donald trump is doing better with african americans and hispanics than mitt romney was at this time. >> but he's also our first reality candidate too. so there's name recognition, people have seen him. >> oh, yeah, there's name recognition. >> but i think he's been on television so long. we know the press follows him every time he tweets about pocahontas. i can't believe it, but it's 2016. that breaks down a lot of barriers. many african americans had no idea who mitt romney was. >> right. >> i would just point out that your argument about economic dysfunction, exactly what bernie sanders was saying. [ all speak at once ] >> here's my favorite statistics
1:28 pm
right now. we're going to break in a second. stay right there. pough didñ!%mi study, they asked people who were on the aca, how do you find? you know, people in the exchanges getting subsidies, and there were all these predictions. the biggest factor for people actually experiencing the law about whether they liked it or not, was whether they were republican or democrat. so we've arrived at a point where partisanship overwhelms physical condition. it's whether they're democrat or republican. so all the things we used to think about how material know cans would be the thing that would predict, right now, partisanship is so strong, it's just a proxy question of are you democrat or republican? at the break, clinton's camp is trying to figure out what bill's role will be if hillary wins in november. don't go anywhere. ra strawberry...
1:29 pm
salad with chicken. at panera. food as it should be. i'vand i'm doing just fine. allergies. claritin provides 24-hour relief of symptoms that can be triggered by over 200 allergens. yeah, over 200 allergens! with claritin my allergies don't come between me and victory. live claritin clear.
1:30 pm
1:31 pm
shoshow me more like this.e. show me "previously watched." what's recommended for me. x1 makes it easy to find what you love. call or go online and switch to x1. only with xfinity. >> i have asked actually, to be
1:32 pm
given a job trying to help every part of the united states that has been left out and left behind economically. and i think it is very, very importa important. i go to places that don't vote for democrats anymore, and i say, i don't care who you're voting for. if you have an economic problem, a drug problem, if your people aren't getting a decent education, and you don't have a bright future, you deserve to go along. this country is supposed to work for everyone, and that includes the people of puerto rico. >> hope for bill clinton on where he sees himself fitting into his wife's administration. our panel is still with us. two things about that. one is, just as a side note, always a great reminder that we have essentially colonial
1:33 pm
territories that we administer that don't get to vote for the president. it's crazy that's the case, because we're all democrats and we believe democrats should elect their own leaders. that aside -- and puerto rico is suffering because of it. that aside, the big question of where does he fit in on the campaign trail, very decidedly not taking the bait earlier with a reporter who asked about trump, he said i think the people are smart enough to figure it out. like white knuckling their way through six months of that. >> i think it's very smart of the clinton campaign to bring bill out in this context, both to counteract trump's job creation message, bill clinton can say, i was president for eight years and look what the economy did. at the same time, he can also be that point person for hillary clinton on the campaign trail when hillary clinton is not a good candidate on the campaign trail. >> how much do you think the '90s -- it's been interesting to
1:34 pm
watch the '90s record get relit debated, particularly in a democratic primary, on crime policy, on trade. but on job creation, how much do you think that still resonates with voters? >> i think it resonates, but that's kind of sick lick. so he's kind of lucky and we also did have two wars. so that helps you keep your money if you aren't fighting two wars for 15 years. this is the tension between bill clinton, sometimes he goes off message, way off message. hillary clinton has not decided whether or not she wants to run on a '90s message with her husband or if she wants to be an independent candidate in the 21st century. that's number two. he doesn't want to seem like he's hiding from donald trump, but donald trump will pull every single woman who has ever accused bill clinton of anything, he's going to put that back on the table. because back to point two, hillary clinton has not decided
1:35 pm
if she wants to run as two. we've seen what happened to michelle obama, she has a j.d. from harvard. >> she was the main breadwinner in that family for a long time. >> and she saw what happened to hillary clinton in the 1990s when she tried to pass health care. >> when reminds me of al gore. same thing going on with bill clinton. but he has still a pretty favorable rating with the american public, but there's some question as to whether that will hold up. it will be interesting to see how the clinton campaign reacts. >> how do republicans think about the '90s? i'm serious. when you say '96 to 2000, there's this period where democratic voters, the people around the clintons, they're like, that was it. wages were up, unemployment was
1:36 pm
low. tech boomed. that was as good as it got. >> and then he was impeached. >> but how do republicans beginning that? >> it was a time where republicans and democrats started to work together. bill clinton was every republican's favorite democrat when he was elected, because he did come from the -- [ laughter ] favorite democrat, not politician. >> i don't know about that. they hated him so much. >> yes, but they still got welfare to work -- >> they got a lot out of him. don't get me wrong, but they hated him. >> for political purposes, he was a democrat willing to deal. so they both were able to get a lot out of their time together. so that eight years, while yes it was good for the clintons, it was also good for the republicans in a lot of ways. >> exactly. because i saw john kasich on the stump, talking about we balance the budget and we unlock -- newt gingrich in 2012, he was like, i
1:37 pm
balanced the budget alone, and unlocked this prosperity. >> but when you fast forward to today, don't forget, the bernie sanders supporters are just learning about bill clinton. they don't know what the '90s were. so they're learning fr ing abou from attacks from donald trump and bernie sanders. i don't know how he can hang on with his record. >> he cannot. >> it's going to be interesting how he goes to the convention on this. >> i don't know if you know this off the top of your head, is there a big generational split among favorables with bill clinton? >> not really. >> because what you see in the splits of the exit polling in the primaries, you're seeing a massive generational split between sanders and hillary clinton. >> if you look at the harvard polling which looks at that, they go overwhelming to hillary
1:38 pm
clinton. >> so you're saying in general? >> right, exactly. >> our new nbc news/monkey poll shows -- don't go anywhere. hmmmmmm..... [ "dreams" by beck ]
1:39 pm
hmmmmm... hmmmmm... the turbocharged dream machine. the volkswagen golf gti. part of the award-winning golf family. ♪jake reese, "day to feel alive"♪ ♪jake reese, "day to feel alive"♪ ♪jake reese, "day to feel alive"♪
1:40 pm
if you've gone to extremes to escapetry clarispray.ergies. new, from the makers of claritin. with the #1 prescribed ingredient. and nothing is more effective at relieving your sneezing, runny nose and nasal congestion. return to the world with clarispray. it'sand your doctor at yoto maintain your health.a because in 5 days, 10 hours and 2 minutes you are going to be 67. and on that day you will walk into a room where 15 people will be waiting... 12 behind the sofa, 2 behind the table and 1 and a half behind a curtain. family: surprise! but only one of them will make a life long dream come true. great things are ahead of you when your health is ready for them. at humana, we can help you with a personalized plan for your health for years to come. wrely on the us postal rvice?
1:41 pm
because when they ship with us, their business becomes our business. that's why we make more e-commerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country. he, there, everywhere. united states postal service priority: you if someone asked you, set up a meeting with the leader of the republican party, what would your first call be? donald trump's people, paul ryan's people, reince priebus's people? i'm joined now by luke russert with more on who is leading the gop. luke, who is leading the gop? >> reporter: well, chris, if you listen to the voters that we polled in our nbc news/survey monkey recent poll, about 6 in 10 said they trusted donald trump to lead the republican
1:42 pm
party. 4 in 10 believe that paul ryan was in fact the leader. and of course this is a civil war within the party right now. some look to ryan as the leader. others look to trump. i asked the speaker about the recent results and what he thought about them? >> a new poll, who do you trust more to lead the republican party, donald trump, 58, paul ryan, 39. >> i hope it's donald trump, he's getting the nomination. he's wrapping up the nomination. the person who is getting the nomination of our party is the person who lead our party. >> that's a pretty standard answer, as you remember. john mccain was the leader in 2008, mitt romney in 2012, when they were both the presumptive nominee, but in this case, it's unique because the speaker has not embraced donald trump 100%. we are told there are ongoing discussions between his office and the trump campaign about conservative policy ideas and that they hope that a full-on endorsement will be coming in the next few weeks.
1:43 pm
also donald trump expected to come back to capitol hill to address the house gop conference. but in terms of who the leader is, paul ryan happy to give that to donald trump. in actuality, though, he couldn't really have said anything else, no, i consider myself the leader, there would have been a massive outcry that would have led cable all day. so paul ryan giving up the baton to donald trump. >> i appreciate you taking a run at trying to get him to say that, for those of us mining in the content mills, who could have made a day's worth of television out of that. good work on your part. luke russert, thank you very much. >> take care. >> he's outpolling the monkey. [ laughter ] >> all right, what's interesting, though, speaker ryan gives the west answer he can. >> yeah, that's the right answer. >> and while it's not great for the republican party, it is very
1:44 pm
good for donald trump's brand. he's still labelled an outsider, he is not part of that establishment, which is, as long as he can still hold that up, it is good for him. we've now seen in the polling that you've referenced that he is 87% of republicans. he's solid with republicans. that's just fine that he can kind of walk both sides of that story. >> just to be clear here, like all of the talk has been about how fractured and divided the republican party is. the voters are the party are coalescing around the nominee, with the notable historical anomaly of the sitting speaker not endorsing him. the fact of the matter, republicans like donald trump. donald trump is republicanism. that is the case right now. this marriage is cemented. there are people who write for conservative magazines who say, his views on trade do not abide by our view on comparative
1:45 pm
advantage. no one cares. people would say this about barack obama and liberal government. he's not a real liberal. that may be true, but in the public imagination, barack obama is liberal governance. you're stuck with it. in the public imagination, donald trump is republicanism and that will only get further cemented in the next six months. >> let's remember, donald trump won the republican primary. he didn't win it magically. he won it by getting more votes than anybody. >> although slightly magical. he won a plurality. >> so did john mccain in 2008 and we didn't really think he wasn't the leader. >> well, some people did. >> but for the vast majority. >> this is why he needs to be an outsider in some regard. >> he does. it's like when the mong rels took over the chinese. >> of course. >> no, it is. >> my father is going to be so happy you said that.
1:46 pm
>> the mong rels invaded and took over the chinese and then became chinese. that is what is going to happen. now that he has to raise money, this will become a normal election in many ways. >> so even though he's running as an outsider, he needs establishment money. he can take the money and say, i'm just using it so we can fight our message together. with the 24-hour news cycle, with the way that he understands the media and he understands people in a way that we have not seen republican candidates. and what really makes him dangerous to me, every now and again, he'll throw in something about, say lgbt rights that many mainstream republicans in major cities actually agree with. >> right. >> not all republicans are anti-choice, are anti-lgbt, trump throws them a bone every now and then and makes it okay.
1:47 pm
>> michael has been one of the best chroniclers of this campaign. basically said, he united all the non-conservative factions of the gop. whatever you want to say about conservativism, whether there's donor classes' adherence to certain ideals about what a free market looks like, there were a huge bunch of people who turned out who identity wasn't conservative. >> and that's why these people came out, they're enthusiastic. this guy is a celebrity, he's exciting, he's interesting, says crazy stuff. >> but paul ryan represents that part of the republican party, mr. orthodoxy. >> yes, he does. but there's a giant disconnect between people who work for a party on capitol hill and people who are in the party out in the world. what donald trump has done, he's demonstrated the fact that it's
1:48 pm
not about who is inhabiting the party on capitol hill, it's about what everyone across the country -- >> that is the open testable hypothesis here. we'll see what happens in the next six months. >> because we also need someone who understands the u.s. constitution, who understands checks and balances and what congress does. and that is what worries a lot of republicans. >> that's paul ryan's chief concern. >> keeps him up at night. >> you understand a probes bill starts with me, just as a basic factual thing, you get that, right? now to the cnbc market wrap. >> the dow losing 180 points, the s&p down by 19, the nasdaq shedding 59 points. that's it from cnbc, first in business worldwide. carpeting... ...and his pants ignited into flames, causing him to stop, drop and roll.
1:49 pm
luckily jack recently had geico help him with renters insurance. because all his belongings went up in flames. jack got full replacement and now has new pants he ordered from banana republic. visit geico.com and see how affordable renters insurance can be. prge! a manufacturer. well that's why i dug this out for you. it's your grandpappy's hammer and he would have wanted you to have it. it meant a lot to him... yes, ge makes powerful machines. but i'll be writing the code that will allow those machines to share information with each other. i'll be changing the way the world works. (interrupting) you can't pick it up, can you? go ahead. he can't lift the hammer. it's okay though! you're going to change the world.
1:50 pm
when your symptoms start... distracting you? doctors recommend taking ...non-drowsy claritin every day of your allergy season. claritin provides powerful, non-drowsy 24 hour relief... for fewer interruptions from the amazing things you do every day. live claritin clear. will make jet warehouses even andmore efficient...king robot and save shoppers money. genius! (smoke alarm sounds) oh no... charlene!... no, no. shh... at jet.com, we're always looking for money saving innovations. in new york state, we believe tomorrow starts today. all across the state, the economy is growing, with creative new business incentives,
1:51 pm
the lowest taxes in decades, and new infrastructure for a new generation attracting the talent and companies of tomorrow. like in rochester, with world-class botox. and in buffalo, where medicine meets the future. let us help grow your company's tomorrow - today - at business.ny.gov we're always looking for ways to speed up your car insurance search. here's the latest. problem is, we haven't figured out how to reverse it. for now, just log on to compare.com... plug in some simple info and get up to 50 free quotes. choose the lowest and hit purchase. now...if you'll excuse me, i'm late for an important function. compare.com. saving humanity from high insurance rates.
1:52 pm
hillary clinton is staying focused on tonight's -- well, today's kentucky democratic primary. we'll get the results tonight. she's outspent bernie sanders. tony dokoupil is in bowling green, kentucky, with more, and tony, what does election look like in the great town of bowling green? >> in the great town of bowling green, there are not a lot of people coming out to vote. if kentucky, you have to be outside a polling station, because you can't show a voter
1:53 pm
inside the voting location. but all day long, we've been inside, there's about 25, 30 voters an hour. we've been to three different locations. bowling green, this is the capital for this part of the state, but not a lot of people coming through. and we're at a baptist church. hillary clinton won conservative democrats back in 2008 here, and she did in west virginia as well. but in the most recent west virginia primary, she lost to bernie sanders overall and among the key demographic. a lot of people coming out the doors here, they're upset with the closed primary system here, but we did happen to catch up with the hillary clinton supporter who was excited to cast a ballot for her in 2016 and here's a little bit more of what he had to say. >> i think that she respect african americans and women and will help people that's struggling with low income.
1:54 pm
>> what do you think about your father voting for a woman for president? >> kind of weird. because i've never really thought a woman could run for president, but now i do. >> isn't that great, chris? he learned something. hillary clinton has connected with a father and in this case a son, and there's another younger son who wasn't really on board with the whole woman president thing, but then he had a talk with mom and said, all right, all right, dad can vote for hillary. >> thank you for that. we do not have a live reporter outside any mailboxes in oregon, of course where they mail it all in, but we will bring you those results tonight. back to the panel here. kentucky, they basically didn't contest west virginia. it seems to me, i don't know what it is, i think the clintons have strong connections with the democratic establishment of kentucky. >> with grimes. >> with bash ir who is popular.
1:55 pm
part of it seems they want to win before california. >> sure, they don't want to continue this streak where they're losing. their argument is the math, but sometimes you want great press as well. kentucky is also a close primary. whether or not bernie sanders or hillary clinton wins tonight, who can say. >> i just tried to pull up the polling, we have basically none. we have four over the last month or something like that. >> she's done better in states that have a diverse population. so if we look at those trends, then it sort of looks a little bit interesting. >> but appalachia seems like key bernie sanders territory to me. so if you look at lexington, louisville, bowling green, versus other parts in coal country. >> but even if she wins by two or three points, it's not a victory win. she's still having this fight.
1:56 pm
>> you're right about that, in the sense that bernie sanders is going to be there tomorrow either way. >> exactly. it's not going away. the stories of what happened in nevada, we're going to keep on hearing the fight between bernie sanders and hillary clinton, and that's not what you want to be at this point in the game if you're hillary clinton. >> but sanders very much needs to keep winning these victories, to harry's point. he [ all speak at once ] >> it was a very big win. 7 of 8 wins, where he said, i've got this momentum and i'm going to carry this through. he needs to keep that going. and they may not happen. >> that does it for us for this 4:00 p.m. hour. special coverage of today's primary results kicks off in just a minute and i will be back for the midnight shift. stay with us the whole way. what's it like to be in good hands? man, it's like pure power at your finger tips.
1:57 pm
like the power to earn allstate reward points, every time i drive. ...want my number? and cash back for driving safe. and the power to automatically find your car... i see you car! and i got the power to know who's coming and when if i break down. ...you must be gerry. hey... in means getting more from your car insurance with the all-powerful drivewise app. it's good to be in, good hands. it was all pencil and paper. started out, the surface pro is very intuitive. i can draw lightly, just like i would with a real pencil. i've been a forensic artist for over 30 years. i do the composite sketches which are the bad guy sketches. you need good resolution, powerful processor because the computer has to start thinking as fast as my brain does. i do this because i want my artwork to help people. try phillips' fiber good gummies plus energy support. there's a more enjoyable way to get your fiber. it's a fiber supplement that helps support regularity,
1:58 pm
and includes b vitamins to help convert food to eney. mmm, these are good! nice work phillips'. the tasty side of fiber, from phillips. could protect you from diabetes? what if one sit-up could prevent heart disease? one. wishful thinking, right? but there is one step you can take to help prevent another serious disease. pneumococcal pneumonia. if you are 50 or older, one dose of the prevnar 13® vaccine can help protect you from pneumococcal pneumonia, an illness that can cause ughing, chest pain, difficulty breathing, and may even put you in the hospital. even if you have already been vaccinated with another pneumonia vaccine, prevnar 13® may help provide additional protection. prevnar 13® is used in adults 50 and older to help prevent infections from 13 strains of the bacteria that cause pneumococcal pneumonia. you should not receive prevnar 13® if you have had a severe allergic reaction to the vaccine or its ingredients. if you have a weakened immune system, you may have a lower response to the vaccine. common side effects were pain, redness or swelling at the injection site,
1:59 pm
limited arm movement, fatigue, headache, muscle or joint pain, less appetite, chills, or rash. get this one done. ask your doctor or pharmacist about prevnar 13® today. wiback like it could used to? neutrogena hydro boost water gel. with hyaluronic acid it plumps skin cells with intense hydration and locks it in. for supple, hydrated skin. hydro boost. from neutrogena
2:00 pm
good evening. it's tuesday. what else are we going to be doing? but watching election returns. i'm chuck todd in washington, welcome to the start of msnbc's special election night coverage of the primaries that are in kentucky and oregon. these contests matter more than you might think, believe it or not. i'll explain. hillary clinton finds herself in at least with one poll in a dead heat against trump. she's looking to go full bore against the republican front-runner, but her campaign is stick right now, in an increasingly nasty and

32 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on