Skip to main content

tv   MSNBC - Democratic National Convention  MSNBC  July 27, 2016 1:00am-2:01am PDT

1:00 am
so, what are you waiting for? you're right, i'm not getting any younger. i'm calling about the colonial penn program today. after this last piece of cake. (laughing) call now for your free information and free gift. (soft music) ♪ (colonial penn jingle) cheese steaks. independence hall. i'm joined right now by everybody. i'm chris matthews with our special late night edition of "hardball" live here in front of independence hall.
1:01 am
it was a historic day where today hillary clinton, this is the news, became the first woman to be nominated. has a plausible route from here to the white house. everything else is just scuttle butt as they said in the navy which i was never in. that history was not lost on the person who knows her best, former president bill clinton who tonight made a case as to why his wave wife is the best and only choice for this country's future. here's what he said in his very emotional closing appeal tonight. >> i hope you will do it. i hope you'll elect her. those of us who have more yesterdays than tomorrows tend to care more about our children and grandchildren. the reason you should elect her is that in the greatest country on earth, we have always been about tomorrow. your children and grandchildren will bless you forever if you
1:02 am
do. god bless you. thank you. >> i can tell you out there working that hall, i saw so many people gleaming at every word that president said. this hour i'll tell you what i thought was the line of the night. it was an individual. a regular american person said something tonight that got to me. it was about hillary clinton. the second night of the democratic convention is over. plus, a special tour of my philly and the rich history of the city, the cradle of liberty. these pictures have a lot to do with what's behind me right now, the declaration of independence and the constitution. back with joy reid, chris hayes host of "all in" on msnbc, michael steele the political analyst who is the former chair of the rnc, i think the only former c chair working with us.
1:03 am
howard fineman political analyst. gentlemen, we're back at 1:00 eastern time. i want to talk a little bit about two things right up front tonight. one is bill clinton and the way he was able to share a new more personal way to look at his wife who has been in our lives and living all these years. of's got a point of view for or against. the former president bill clinton tonight pushed back against the republican cartoon of hillary. he said they created a cartoon of my wife and made fun of that cartoon, not of my wife but made it look like it was my wife. let's watch. >> if you run elections on the theory that government is always bad and will mess up a two-car parade, a real changemaker represents a real threat.
1:04 am
so your only option is to create a cartoon, a cartoon alternative. then run against the cartoon. cartoons are two dimensional, easy to absorb. life in the real world is complicated and real change is hard. and a lot of people even think it's boring. good for you because earlier today, you nominated the real one. >> howard, i want you to get into this. you've watched this now. trump's propositions i wouldn't call tep proposal, we're going to build a wall, keep the muslims from coming in the country. they're endlessly questionable.
1:05 am
but they're always exciting. >> yes. >> everybody knows about the wall. you know? it's like the old yogi bearra, we're lost but we're making good time. they don't make any sense. hillary, there was an interesting defense of her proposal as being boring. will eventually -- it's not the same as giving away free tuit n tuition. they say boring is not true because we will get there. >> what he's trying to do and what this convention is trying to doing in addition to impro improving her numbers on trust and likability is to connect their real personality as they try to explain it with real change. key word being real. when bill clinton said tonight she's the real one, what he meant is she's the real change agent, not donald trump. and that's. >> what's the boring charge about? >> the boring charge is admitting as in a court again, i think of bill clinton in legal terms. it's confession and avoidance is
1:06 am
what they call in the law. okay? you confess your weak spot up front. but then you turn an of it into a virtue and you make what you hope is a dramatic and winning contest with your opponent. in this case, as you say, you cannot outflamboyant donald trump. you cannot be more in many ways irresponsible than donald trump or outrageous than donald trump. i think what their research told hem in the clinton campaign and what their gut tells them and what the brilliant bill clinton tells them is that creates an opportunity to make the boring at least useful and acceptable and marries in with her personality. that's what they're trying to say here. >> here's the thing. i kept thinking of this phrase nudge tonight. the term the law professor worked in the obama administration, what are things you can do, small things you can do in government to get things going in the right weiwei. hillary clinton as nudger in the
1:07 am
positive way, work at the margins, get if the lines of code that we're writing the laws in, work things over. >> who wants that though? who wants it. >> nobody. >> you can't do that without the vision part, too. that is one part of it. but there has to be a bigger higher level. >> i agree with you into before you get to a vision, you have to get past the fact that remember how hillary clinton was introduced to the world in the first place. she was the woman who was two for the price of one who was going to be anathema to what men believed a first lady should be. she comes into the white house, she's pushing first lady trying to force health care on congress. she went to children. it takes a vil to raise a child. she went to softer nicer hillary to not saying i will bake cookies because i'm sorry but we keep on rediscovering who we are as americans. barack obama made us rediscover
1:08 am
we still have issues with race and you know what, we still have issues with yernd. hillary clinton is going to teach us that lesson. >> here's the rub. she may not necessarily be the ultimate bish riff that lesson meaning she wins. it may be a sacrificial play. here's the rest of the story in this character ca tour that bill clinton is talking about. you cannot escape for a lot of americans out there the hillary clinton had a pencil in drawing that character ca tour, as well. that's contributed to a lot of the narrative as much as anything the republicans or her opponents have done in terms of what people think of her more broadly. >> i agree. pushing cookies, the whole thing. earlier tonight i spoke to somebody, fas fating, ohio senator sherrod brown about the hacking of the democratic national committee e-mail which security experts a bunch now say was carried out by russian defense intelligence services. watch this, his reaction. i think he made news tonight on
1:09 am
our show. >> what do you think the russians are backing trump? >> well you know. >> it's a strange thing. motive here. it's going on. why are they releasing these e-mails from the d np c in. >> i don't think we know yet to know for sure. george will had a column saying maybe the reason donald trump won't release his taxes is because he has investments with the oh i garks and maybe with tute tin's crowd. >> you think trump is involved with soviet economics. >> i have no idea. he has refused to criticize putin. so i don't know. put the pieces together. >> here's a piece to put together. he doesn't think much of nato. he's going to say we're not going to protect a nato member that doesn't pay its dues. they may like the sound of that. >> the russians love the sound of that. >> trump did tweet today he had zero investments in russia. how about man nan for the? >> release his tax returns and
1:10 am
find out. >> this could be the great scandal of our lives bigger than watergate or anything if it's determined the russians got a thumb on the scale, that's bigger than debbie wasserman-schultz having her thumb on the scale. this is a bigger deal. >> there's a few things getting run together here. >> no kidding. > one of him, let's say on the hack. >> is that established? the russians hacked. >> well, there is a lot of evidence. there's an honest intelligence officials, crowd strike ran the report. there's a good reason to think it was a russian hack. in the timesitude, was it the kind cuff hack they caused routine which our government does, as well or was it something done intentionally with this kind of meddling in the election purpose foes those are two ifs. if you get to there, that's a huge deal. but the other thing though -- there's a lot of being dots being thrown out and sort of
1:11 am
connected. ha is zinging from is he a manchurian candidate for the kremlin. >> you have a candidate who has an affinity for vladimir putin which in and of itself for a potential american president toe have this much love for russia. wait, then you've got the russian government potentially or russian intelligence meddling in our election to help hip get elected. do we want someone in the white house with that -- he doesn't have to be behind -- >> wait a minute. >> first of all, do we all agree the russians hacked? >> yell. >> i don't know. >> the fbi. >> the signs point that way. >> increasingly persuasive. >> all we know for sure is that the fbi thinks there's enough to it to investigate. okay. the second thing, who decided to dump this the eve of the democratic convention.
1:12 am
>> you know julian assange has a long-standing grunl with the obama administration. whoever leaked does not have in their interests having hillary clinton be elected president. they're doing it for a specific political purpose. that's obvious. >> wikileaks say they made the decision when to publish. >> what i can tell su, i can see how the democrats will frame this discussion. >> wait. is this -- which is it? is he the manchurian candidate or is it merely an intolerable hack of the american political system? answer the question. >> but there are -- >> there are some disturbing. can we all chill on this till we get evidence of what it really is? there's more coming out. >> this has to be reported enterprised. we find out these connect the dots. we had nbc experts say it was done by the russians. if they have the material and the hack product, they decide when to release portions of it.
1:13 am
they can drop this like timed release are capsules and affect the election. >> revenging. > brilliant speech last night. president obama going to do that tomorrow night. how big a deal will obamas be in helping hillary clinton win the election? i'd defer to the president myself as reggie jackson, mr. october. i think he's going to campaign in this area in these counties a lot. going into november. anyway, later my pick for the line of the night. it doesn't come from a power. live from philly where i come from, where it's not always easy to understand the local accents. >> have you been asked account name of the football team here. >> igales. >> thank you. >> how about the name of the basketball team that's known as the hawks? what's the name of that college. >> st. joes.
1:14 am
>> how many syllables in joe's. >> just two. >> yeah, right, there's three. ® night cream with active naturals® blackberry complex. younger looking skin can start today. new absolutely ageless® from aveeno®.
1:15 am
1:16 am
1:17 am
>> that is the story of this country. the story that has brought me to the stage tonight. the story of generations of people who fet the lash of bondage, the shax servitude, the stick of segregation but who kept on striving and hoping and doing what needed to be done so that today, i wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves. and i watch my daughters, two beautiful intelligent black young women, playing with their dogs on white house lawn.
1:18 am
and because of hillary clinton, my daughters and all our sons and daughters mou take for granted that a woman can be president of the united states. >> you know what's great, when somebody rises to the occasion. they know it's the most important speech of their life and they give the most important speech of your life. you rehearse. you sit in a room with a podium, lectern and you get it right. i watched speech after speech this week and last week. everybody looks like they read it a few times and then they yell it. and they yell it. >> let's just say. >> understands the importance of the job. what comes through with michelle obama that emotion you see, she's lived up close and personal what that job means to the country. >> i'm talking about the performance. >> her performance is performed
1:19 am
by the genuine emotion. she was real. she is. >> all right, all right. >> she's the greatest. i'm just telling you one thing that is objectively true. it was an fabulous performance. >> it was a fabulous performance. >> here's my question for the president's speech tomorrow night. >> look at her. look at the absolute confidence. working on it. >> here's my question of the president's speech tomorrow night. a lot of people thought and i even thought clinton would be. >> it's overwhelmingly positive. i watch all these guys get up there one after another. let me get it over with. i'm scared. >> we used to say chris, back empty early days of the covering of the obamas we used to say michelle obama had the chops. she's got the chops. she really has them. in certain respects she is more natural at it at least as a raw talent than her husband into really? >> yes. she studies and gets it perfect. >> here's my question for the president.
1:20 am
i thought tonight -- i thought clinton would go harder at trump tonight. particularly he's someone -- he can talk to particularly, he's always been good at talking to white working class voters. >> why would he do it. >> the dumbest thing for bill clinton to do that. >> president, how hard does the president go at trump. it could go either way. >> i think the president is freed to go full range tomorrow night. >> he can do it. >> full range. >> he did it at the white house correspondents dinner. and he floated like a butterfly and stung like a bee. he was so light and pleasant. and he killed the guy. >> nobody can be more dantley destructive of somebody else than barack obama. >> where is the danger? at what point does trump reach out and pull him down into the ditch. >> here's the thing. of all the people that have gone after donald trump, elizabeth
1:21 am
warren who, did he not attack? michelle. and i think donald trump you know, you know, he has a very good brain, right? if he attacks the obamas, there is a part of trump's coalition that is going to going exactly where you think they're going to go. it will be so unattractive and unappealing to white suburban voters, he will trigger the people in his fan club, the nazi drogs, the all alt right. the minute he goes there with michelle, he has to know what's going to happen. >> by the way. >> he's going to be limited with the president, too. >> going there with the president if anything that's a bonus for him. that will work for him. chris is point together bigger point. it's into the about race. he doesn't feed to play the racial point. there is a risk with the
1:22 am
president like i said going full lot to in going there how that plays with some of the voters that hillary clinton ultimately needs ho don't necessarily like obama or not crazy about -- >> i think that barack obama has a personal thing about donald trump. >> i think you're right. >> of course he does. >> you're right. >> and two of them -- >> what you saw at the correspondent's dinner i think brp probably justifiably in many ways finds it extremely offensive that he could be followed into the oval office by this guy. >> keep going. >> i'm going to stop. >> this is the way into obama's thinking. obama is a man of great dignity and pride. and i think it offends his pride and sensibility and then he could get into it with donald trump. he could really get into it.
1:23 am
>> while being president while black. he had to show his papers. snipe driver's license and registration. barack obama, after weeks of i'm not going to do this had to produce his hawaii birth certificate. >> his first issue in the illinois legislature was profiling. >> i remember that press conference. he as a the line was we doe not have time for this silliness. that's the barack obama line. >> let's look at savannah guthr guthrie. she sat down, it's the way we talk, sat down with the rez. here's some of that interview with the president. >> yes or no. is it possible that donald trump wins the presidency? >> anything is possible. it is the nature of democracy that until those votes recast and the american people you know have their say, we don't know. >> are you worried? >> you know, as somebody who has
1:24 am
now been in elected office at various levels for about 20 years, i've seen all kinds you have crazy stuff happen. and i think anybody who goes into campaigns not running scared can end up losing. >> what did you make of that, guys? >> i think what i made of it is that he restrained himself from saying are you kidding me? that's tomorrow night. >> that's what he's thinking. > he's not going to do are you kidding me. what i think he has it in him to do and his speech swriters have it in them is to deliver the deft. he's not going to go in on him. >> it's going to be surgical. >> if he can summon the shades of franklin roosevelt. >> the franklin roosevelt think. >> what will be interesting will be the tweets during the president's speech tomorrow
1:25 am
night from donald trump. you're going to have this dual conversation. >> so amazing. >> donald trump last night he stopped tweeting as joy pointed out when michelle obama. i tweeted at him and said please share your thoughts on michelle obama's speech. he's not going to go there. >> here's the amazing thing that donald trump has so redefined public discourse in a presidential campaign. >> downward. >> that his tweets we're all wondering what he's going to do on social media. for you middle aged people, beavis and butthead were the people who cartoon characters who commented. he has done that to the whole political discourse. >> but that is where -- but that is where barack obama has. >> >> look, i got to tell you something. we've got to do this little bit.
1:26 am
mon of a defining deeb vency downward to match what he does. earlier tonight, i sat down -- >> you sat down, too. >> with nor amy klobuchar who also said of minnesota. we taped it for you tonight. here it is. >> senator amy klobuchar, you've got this inside view of the coming together of the bernie people and hillary people. what do you see? >> first of all, i come from minnesota. we're a caucus state. bernie won there. keith ellison introduced bernie sanders at the convention. and he and i worked together. and we basically reaching out to one delegate the a time and we talked to people about the importance of this election. i think one of the things that people don't always think about when they think about how extreme people can be and fights, this is no ted cruz convention. ted cruz gave a huge speech and
1:27 am
ended it by going off and saying he wasn't endorsing donald trump. bernie sanders mentioned hillary clinton's name 15 times. and while there's still a lot of passion out there, people believe in him when he took to the floor today. those things mattered. yes, they may be symbols for america but they also matter in this hall. >> are they democrats all those bernie people? i saw them on the streets tonight. i didn't sense them as party people. >> they may not be party people but no one thinks they're going to vote for donald trump. the vast majority will vote for hillary clinton. >> what do you make of the newest plo that shows a four a way split, if you split it four way, ways, it's very tough for hillary. >> i'd said that poll was taken before michelle obama's speech. >> which was last night. >> that was a historic moment where she beak put it all in
1:28 am
perspective and actually talked about when hillary lost to her lus, he didn't just pack it up and go home. she was making that pitch to those people. >> let's assume hillary clinton wins. let's assume the senate is slightly democrat. can you deliver -- i what about getting done these things, $15 minimum wage, what would happen? would the bernie people be satisfied you got it done. >> i can't tell you exactly what that number will be. but clearly, bernie has has moved the dial. he's starting to pass minimum wage in states. and red states and purple states. you're starting to see increases. i think something will happen there. federal minimum wage has not been increased for years. immigration reform is a top priority. that will happen. >> it would be like the bill you got passed in the senate a couple years ago? >> i would hope it would be a
1:29 am
comprehensive bill. >> you represent minnesota which has got a hell of a university. university of minnesota. i almost went to grad school there. he's expensive now. >> that's what we're working toward. >> is that a reasonable hope snep these kinds of things bernie believed dearly, are they reasonable. >> i think we can make a significant dent tuition. i don't know if we can do it for frep constituent. we can't compete internationally if it's so expensive for kids to get a degree. the other thing is how we're finding more and more one-year degree, two-year degrees good jobs in my state in manufacturing and technology. i do think and i believe hilary will have the leadership we need to to have a major shift to look at our education system as a whole. it's a lot less expensive to get
1:30 am
a two-year degree. there are so many jobs available you can get a pour-year degree. let's take sure that kids have their eyes wide open they get degrees to get a job. >> the third big bernie promise was greater social security benefits by taxing people who have really good incomes. is that likely to ham to make it more of a redistribution program? >> i think when you look at the fact that we want to keep social security solvent and make sure it covers can people as much as possible, when you look at one concept it's kind of like a doughnut hole. at a certain income level, then the social security tax hits again. that's an idea worth considering. > bernie will have accomplished his agenda even though he lost. it's amazing. >> remember, one, that's the american people want to see some change and they want us to work
1:31 am
with the middle class. there's a huge income inequality problem. bernie's agenda -- lease going to be change. it will not be everything he wants but -- >> you're for it. >> i'm for it. >> thank you. amy klobuchar of minnesota. >> we're going to come right back live now. my pick for the single best line of tonight here in philadelphia. the democratic national convention. that's coming up next thing coming up. we'll have a lot more in the next half hour. a lot more with this brilliant excited, exciting panel.
1:32 am
1:33 am
1:34 am
1:35 am
welcome back to this late night edition of "hardball" from independence mall in philadelphia. each day this week i'll show you what i think was the line of the night. tonight ta line comes from lorn manning, they just dropped the prompt ter on me. a 9/11 survivor who gave an emotional account tonight at the convention of her experience with then senator from new york hillary clinton.
1:36 am
in the wake of the 2001 terror attack. this i thought reaped reality. here it is. in the darkest of days, and in the hardest of times, the people who show up in your life are the ones that mean everything. hillary showed up. she walked into my hospital room and she took my bandaged hand into her own. our connection wasn't between a senator and a constituent. it was person to person. when i needed her, she was there. when our first responders needed her, she was there. when new york needed her, she was there. i trusted her when my life was on the line. and she came through.
1:37 am
not for the cameras, not because anyone was watching. but because that's who she is, kind, caring, loyal. >> well, you know, that's what we go by in life. >> yeah. >> chris in. >> kind, caring and loyal. that was one of many sort of personal testimonials tonight that i again thought was effective. i thought, you know, one of the i think what's interesting about this and relateses to ambition and the problematic way sometimes we talk about women who are ambitious, particularly female politicians and the game all politicians have to play which is pretend to not be ambitious even though they are, the stories you got were stories essentially with the cameras away. this is the like spade work of being a good legislator, particularly working with constituents by all accounts she's excellent. so to highlight those stories, you know, her doing the kinds of
1:38 am
things that are not in the spotlight i thought was a pretty smart approach. the question is, how many people see that. the question is how much did that message resonate outside you know, what's not in the deep primetime hours. do they run an ad with her? that's a good ad. >> essentially important point because those are the types of narratives that a lot of politicians develop as they're going through. so n so much forced to have to recount it because people know it instinctively and internally. that type you have story is an important story we should have known about before now. if. >> or they knew. >> i'm not saying as an overarching narrative about her. >> this is a woman in the public eye for 30 years. the most challenging branding exercise in marketing is to reintroduce a brand you already know when coca-cola tried to
1:39 am
relaunch itself many times, it didn't work. really quickly i think they did have what the republican convention didn't. they had people who could be ral darts of hillary clinton. >> let me make a point here. when hillary clinton ran for the senate and when she became a senator the first time, she couldn't make enough visits to fort drum and all the military. that's a military installation in new york. in other words, she was going to show and again this may relate to being a woman in politics, joy, that she was going to be tough, commander in chief material. okay? now she's nominee. that's not her problem. her problem is not that nobody thinks had she can be commander in chief. >> some of us are worried she'll be too hawkish. >> some would argue she over did the visits to fort drum because she was going to have to prove
1:40 am
that. now ironically that she's the nominee, to the annoy yachbs some people, she's got to soft stuff. >> i believe it. and because i believe that hilary did show an interest in her and i do when a woman has had her body 85% of her body covered by burns, that's a life experience you do not get over and talk about in some pr sense or political sense. that's you. when you talk about somebody who cared, i've had care who have been in accidents and they said after awhile, doesn't matter who visits you. it's that somebody does. it doesn't matter what you think of their personality, it's that they showed up and showing up is what -- woody allen, that's it. who's there in that room in that hospital room when you're alone. >> when we come back, the roundtable will tell us something abouting this convention that i don't know. back with more from philly right after this.
1:41 am
oh, look... ...another anti-wrinkle cream in no hurry to make anything happen. neutrogena® rapid wrinkle repair works... ...in one week. with the... fastest retinol formula. ...to visibly reduce wrinkles. neutrogena®.
1:42 am
1:43 am
1:44 am
we're back with live coverage. it's still live at almost 2:00 in the morning on day two of the democratic convention. we're halfway through the convention already. joy tell me something about this convention, i dare you, that i don't know. you first. >> chris i guess first. >> larry sanders is the brother of bernie. older brother. amazing emotional moment. he was there actually as a delegate from the democrats abroad. >> didn't he have a tv show. >> he was there a delegate from democrats abroad because he lives in england after graduating harvard law school. he is the green party spokesperson on health issues for england and wales. he served as a local. >> does he still have the brooklyn accent. >> he's got a mix. he's got the bernie sanders china accent. then he's got a british accent and he is a local -- he's been a local politician there. he's a social worker and
1:45 am
activist in the left party in england. >> sanders. >> joy? >> i'm stumped. i think i'm tired. and you dra day. amazing new artist. she is one of the top artists to watch coming up. she did an incredible performance essentially coming right after the mothers of the movement who were so incredible. by the way, that was a helpful remind hear black lives matter didn't begin because of a police shooting but because of trayvon martin and the three young women who started the hash tag. she was the original mother of the movement. >> michael. >> there's a growing concern particularly in light of this morning's attack in paris of a priest beheaded at the altar. >> beheaded. >> virtually in normandy. that by isis, two isis attackers.
1:46 am
that the conversation is not resonating here at the democratic convention there's not been a serious discussion. >> why not? >> i don't know. i think that's a number of the organizers i understand now are saying this may come back to bite us longer term. don't know if tomorrow night there's going to be a focus on national security which there may be. there was a touch on it tonight. not about isis and not what hillary clinton is going to do about isis. >> that doesn't surprise me. in the milt of the iraq war i went to a democratic seminar, the whole day they never mentioned the war they talked domestic policy. >> she will have to talk about it thursday night. >> there was some concern also before we get to my thing about not enough on the police in dallas and so forth tonight. >> the democrats love domestic and social policies. >> i heard that from other democrats. >> they have a preference for domestic issues. i'll take you on a tour with a
1:47 am
look at the rich history, historic aspects of this city that are fabulous because they're right here physically still here. we'll get to that in just a moment. my advice for looking younger longer? get your beauty sleep and use new aveeno® absolutely ageless® night cream with active naturals® blackberry complex. younger looking skin can start today. new absolutely ageless® from aveeno®.
1:48 am
1:49 am
1:50 am
1:51 am
i love it. welcome back to "hardball" live from independence hall and my hometown of philadelphia. all this week i want to show you around the city. tonight we explore philadelphia's revolutionary history as the city where this country was born. watch some of this stuff. it's great. philadelphia is now known as the city of brotherly love and sisterly affection. but it also began and remains the cradle of liberty. it is here that our country was born. i wanted 0 explore the streets where the founding fathers once walked. where they would know where they are if they were to suddenly spring back 0 life. the stroll through the city's rich past we met up with historian edward major, founder of philadelphia on foot. >> chris, welcome back to your hometown. >> it's good to be back. >> you're in the only modern city george washington would still recognize. we have about 2,00018th century buildings left and the most
1:52 am
famous is the state house of pennsylvania. independence hall. you're also in the. >> it looks just like it did back then. >> exactly, yes. they have redone the inside but restored it to the condition that existed at the time the declaration of the constitution were debated and confirmed in that building. virtually every founding father spent more than half his public career within four blocks of independence hall. so they were either at home here or it was their home away from home. >> big point. did they have sticky weather back then in the summer? sticky is a philadelphia world. >> they called philadelphia summer's savage in the 18th century. when the constitutional convention met there because they were afraid that information about the meetings would leak out and people didn't know what was going to happen, they nailed the windows shut. the delegates wouldn't take off their coats because shirrs were considered underwear. it must have been just terrible in there.
1:53 am
>> philadelphia is also home to run of the most recognized symbols of american valuesings the liberty bell once at the top of independence hall. >> i think everybody in the world knows about the liberty bell. here it is in philadelphia. how did it celebrate liberty? how did it celebrate the declaration of independence? >> it probably didn't ring when we declared independence. the wooden part of the taufrt state house was in such bad shape, they were afraid the tower would collapse. >> how did it get the name then? >> what made it famous was the 19th country when an african-american from boston came to philadelphia, a writer, he walked up in the tower and he saw the quote that proclaimed liberty throughout the land to all the inhabitants. and he wrote a poem which he called the liberty bell. >> wlep did the crack come in. >> it cracked right away. we got it from a white chapel in
1:54 am
london, 2,000-pound bell. it was supposed to be inspected. i don't know if they didn't do it properly. hung it in the tower and it cracked. we wrote to the white chapel and said you made a defective bell. they said we don't make defe defective bells. take care of it yourself. we had nobody who could make a bell. >> many forget before washington, d.c., philadelphia served for ten years as our nation's capital. we don't think of it but while he was president, george washington lived right here on a site just beside independence hall. >> we're on the spot which was essentially our first white house. george washington spent most of his presidency here on this site. and so he designed his own little shaj here. and he would greet the public. he's on the same level as everybody but sprayed. she's been working on how to be
1:55 am
this new thing, an american president. right here on in spot. >> along the way we checked out the buildings that once housed congress as well as the supreme court before philadelphia lost the capital at the turn of the 19th century. >> why did philadelphia lose the capital? s that part of the original deal? >> everybody be tried to keep the catch the here. we built a white house five blocks over that was bigger than the one in washington. >> another white house. >> yeah, washington wouldn't move in it was too lavish. but the biggest reason for moving the capital south is the unspoken reason which was slavery. >> the delegates wouldn't travel without their slaves. >> or course. >> they didn't want to bring them up here because they might get freed. >> in the 1790s, the quakers are helping them escape. >> for over two suns this country has worked to be a more perfect union, to live up to the dales expressed in our founding documents. it's against that backdrop that philadelphia continues to thrive
1:56 am
as a modern american city. >> that was a labor of love putting that together. will robby, my producer did a great job. thank you joy, chris hayes, michael steele, and howard fineman. we've been together so long, howard and i. >> beginning to feel a little self-conscious about it. you didn't even thank me. >> anyway, the second hour of our late special "hardball." we love doing this by the way. join us all day again tomorrow. we'll have a special edition of saturday night live's weekend update with michael chai. and colin joest. that's tomorrow on our late night coverage. until then, good night from philly.
1:57 am
what do you make of the state of the party after that? do you feel like there is disunity in the party. >> are you going to vote for him? >> of course. that's what you go through here on the convention floor. absolutely ageless® night cream with active naturals® blackberry complex. younger looking skin can start today. new absolutely ageless® from aveeno®.
1:58 am
>> i'm alex trek. if you're age 50 to 85, i have an important message about security. write down the number on your screen, so you can call when i finish. the lock i want to talk to you about isn't the one on your door. this is a lock for your life insurance, a rate lock, that guarantees your rate can never go up at any time, for any reason. but be careful. many policies you see do not have one, but you can get a lifetime rate lock through the colonial penn program. call this number to learn more. this plan was designed with a rate lock for people on a fixed income who want affordable life insurance that's simple to get. coverage options for just $9.95 a month, less than 35 cents a day. act now and your rate will be locked in for life. it will never increase, guaranteed. this is lifelong coverage that can never be cancelled as long as you pay your premiums,
1:59 am
guaranteed. and your acceptance is guaranteed, with no health questions. you cannot be turned down because of your health. call for your information kit and read about this rate lock for yourself. you'll also get a free gift with great information both are free, with no obligation, so don't miss out. call for information, then decide. read about the 30 day, 100 percent money back guarantee. don't wait, call this number now. ♪
2:00 am
there are clear achievable aforwardable responses to our challenges. but we won't get to them if america makes the wrong choice in this election. that's why you should elect, and you should elect her because she'll never quit when the going gets tough, she'll never quit on you. she sent me in this primary to west virginia, where she knew we were going to lose to look those kool miners in the eye and say, i'm down here because hillary sent me to tell you that if

17 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on