Skip to main content

tv   Lockup Savannah Extended Stay  MSNBC  August 14, 2016 11:00pm-12:01am PDT

11:00 pm
due to mature subject matter, viewer discretion is advised. >> due to mature subject matter,
11:01 pm
11:02 pm
11:03 pm
>> not where i want to be. i didn't like the bread. i didn't like the sauce. >> my heart goes out to her. she is acting nervous. i know she is scared. so much is going on. right. >> charged with theft and theft by taking for allegedly stealing items from parked cars and pled in the and arrested along with her boyfriend. >> i just got one of my first
11:04 pm
paychecks and i told her that i wanted to spend the weekend with her i was go to spend my whole paycheck on her. we were go to get a hotel and hang out all night. we dropped this acid to be out on the beach and watch the waves and listen to everything and afterwards took xanax. >> when abused it can lead to a high that includes memory loss and spell admits to frequent abuse. >> seems like every time i take them one leads to another leads to another leads to another and before you know it you are blacked out, taking more and more. that is kind of what happened to me last night. >> i had a handful of them. i office them. i took them all. i have no idea why i took so
11:05 pm
many. >> i did not have a care in the world what was go to happen to me. i just wanted to feel that rush. >> day says the fun led to her and spell checking car doors to see if they were locked. >> i remember thinking it would be a good idea to look through it like shopping. like a treasure hunt. we did not know what we were going to find. i really do not remember how many cars it was or specific items that i took. i know we were out all night just walking around getting into trouble. >> the next day police were called to the couple's hotel. according to the arrest report they refused to check out. spell was also charged with entering an auto to commit theft and theft by taking and theft by receiving stolen property after an officer discovered he was in
11:06 pm
possession of a stolen handgun. he has pled in the to all charges. >> never know what is going to happen at night just me and her. if anything ever happened i would want to be able to protect her. >> it scared me that he had that. he has no need for it. just to have that rush to have a loaded gun on you. that is putting my life in danger and his too. >> she hopes to at least be released on bond to return to her senior year of high school. >> you are still young enough to make changes in your life and do the right thing. >> this will be two weeks of school they missed and this will be the third week. that is 16 tests and quizes they missed. the fact that it is a felony, you know, i am hoping they can drop it down to a misdemeanor.
11:07 pm
that would make a big difference. my whole future is at stake. that is hard to get a job. if you are a convicted felon, you can't even work at mcdonald's. there are a lot of things that would be changed in my life. >> don't be scared, think positive. >> i know, i am trying to. i want to graduate high school, you know. this could change everything. >> yeah. it could. i know. i have a daughter who is young. she got in some trouble when she was trouble and it ruined her. made straight a's. she got in trouble and it ruined her whole high school, college, ruined it. >> i really don't want to be in here. i want to be in school. i want to have a high school diploma and not my ged. i want to graduate. that would be the best feeling, to graduate. >> coming up, brooklyn day turns
11:08 pm
to art to cope with jail and might have gotten herself in more trouble. >> that is what they call damaging jail property. do you know you could be written up for that. >> and a fight ends in a version of she said-she said.
11:09 pm
11:10 pm
enis really built into theat foundation of the company. whole foods market is engaged with pg&e on many levels, to really reduce energy and reduce our environmental footprint. for a customer like whole foods, saving energy means helping our environment, and we can be a part of that. helping customers save energy is a very important part of what pg&e does. we can pass those savings on to the environment,
11:11 pm
the business, and the community. pg&e really is an expert in saving energy, and that partnership is extremely exciting. together, we're building a better california. established in 1733, savannah, georgia maintained much of its historical integrity. it is prone to severe thunderstorms and hurricanes. officials here at the detention center developed a >> any time there's severe weather issued, the watch commander will call over the radio and tell you to lock your unit down. >> let's go! >> you want to have everybody secured so that if you need to do an emergency evacuation or
11:12 pm
anything like that, everybody's accounted for and you know where everybody's at. >> the atmosphere inside the jail can be highly charged, as well. >> sometimes you can walk out here and you can almost feel the tension and you just know that something's about to happen. >> this morning is one of those times. officers have been called to a fight at one of the female housing units. the combatants are tisha berry and kathleen blaha. wearing the orange top. and blaha is thrown to the floor a second time. other inmates appear to surround her and keep her from re-entering the fray, an unusual occurrence in most jail fights. seconds later, officers flood the unit. they reach berry first. she is immediately secured with handcuffs and removed from the unit. all other inmates are ordered
11:13 pm
back to their cells. >> go on! go to your rooms. >> you on the phone! >> those two got in a fight. she pushed her and she fell on the floor. she needs to see medical. >> the girl in orange? >> the one in orange. the other one in there, she was the one that came here and got it all riled up. >> she punched me first and i shoved her away. that's it. i didn't come towards her. she came towards me. >> tisha berry is in jail on charges of simple battery for what she says was a domestic dispute with the father of her newborn twins. she has pled not guilty. >> that fall was fake. i ain't got nothing to lie for. >> berry says the fight stemmed from an argument during a card game. >> so she's stomping at me, what'd you say? got all up in my face. you talking about you're going to hit me, then hit me.
11:14 pm
but when you hit me, don't think i'm not going to touch you back. >> she is stomping at me and got all up in my face. and then she punches me in my face. so i shoved her. she came back at me so i shoved her again. i could have pulled out her hair, dragging her. i could have did all that, but did i do that? no. i simply shoved her off of me. >> blaja is in jail for fighting charged with battery to which she has pled not guilty. she blames today's fight on berry. >> she pushed me first. that's what got me up and pushed her back. i could have swang like i wanted to and if she would have she would have been down on the ground because it is normally one hit and you are down and that's it. >> i know she's young.
11:15 pm
that's why i didn't really hurt her because i know she is a child. >> berry says she held back, too, but for a different reason. >> i can't hit a pregnant girl. >> blaha, who has lost custody of three other children, is actually seven months pregnant. >> i have known inmate blaha for probably the whole seven years i have worked here. she's been in and out several times. inmate blaha has a short temper. if she feels like somebody is intimidating her space she doesn't hesitate to engage. i've seen her deteriorate over the years. i think from her drug usage and living on the streets and being homeless and that type of thing. >> until officers have completed their investigation, berry and blaha are moved to single-person cells and placed on lockdown status.
11:16 pm
>> how long am i going to be in here? >> once we've done the investigation, once we check the cameras and everything. we'll let you know. just hold on tight over there. that's all. >> all right. >> they will be confined 23 hours a day and lose phone and visitation privileges. that comes as especially bad news for berry who had an important visit scheduled later in the day. she was going to ask a friend for bond money. >> i was supposed to get my visit to get up out of here. >> i understand, but anybody that's on lockdown don't get any visits. they lose that privilege. she wasn't happy at all because today is their visit day. i believe she was expecting a visit because somebody was going to bail her out, but her actions, that's the reason why she is in there. >> so i'm stuck here. i'm trying to stay strong, but to be away from my kids and all that i have to deal with, it
11:17 pm
hurts. you don't want to be here. you don't. coming up -- >> just trying to get a clear view of what really happened and add their stories to it and try to piece together everything. >> officers turn to the tape to find out what really happened between tisha berry and kathleen blaha. then -- >> stay positive and ask me to tell you stupid jokes. >> oh, man, i'm just hoping. i just feel like -- first big mistake i made. >> an older inmate takes jack spell under his wing.
11:18 pm
11:19 pm
11:20 pm
as days turn to weeks and months while awaiting the resolution of their cases or serving sentences, inmates at the chatham county detention center in savannah face a variety of challenges, among them dealing with sheer boredom. steven says it was a childhood hobby that gave him the inspiration for his most recent distraction. >> when i was a kid i had an ant farm. i put the cookie there and i woke up and there was five.
11:21 pm
i woke up and there were ten. i woke up again and like 18. it was sort of like having a household pet in a way. it was something to, i don't know, sort of take care of. even though they're just ants. it may be a little off but it is something to preoccupy yourself and stay positive about. you're like, what am i going to do today? i have to feed my damn ants. some prisons have like a cat program. i see cats walking all over the place and some places have dog programs. apparently cell number 14 is an ant program. >> mcaloon is charged with aggravated assault, simple battery and cruelty to children. a police report states he was intoxicated and arguing with his fiancee when he slapped her and then fought family members who came to help, including his teenage stepson, whom he allegedly struck with a baseball bat. mcaloon says he hardly remembers the night and has pled not
11:22 pm
guilty. >> it's vague. i don't remember that much. i was at the bar. i had two shots of tequila. i remember that. and basically that's one of the last things i remember, and then i end up with these charges. you hear that all the time. oh, it's not my fault because i didn't know what happened. it might have been my fault. but i really don't know what was going on. i don't want to find out that i actually went home and hurt the people i love. >> steve is a cool guy. steve always just had the right thing to say to just make me feel better about my situation. >> mcaloon has made friends with jack spell who says he doesn't remember much about his alleged crimes either, due to being high on prescription drugs and acid at the time of his arrest. he and his girlfriend are accused of stealing phones and other items from several cars on nearby tybee island. >> when i was young i was getting in trouble. you know. i lost a lot of stuff because i
11:23 pm
was young, getting in trouble. i lost a lot of freedom. >> stay positive. ask me to tell you stupid jokes. >> i know, man. i'm just hoping -- i mean, this is like the first big mistake i made. i just want to get out and get it behind me. >> you're going to have this on your record for a very long time. you don't ever have to look back from this, you know? >> can you imagine the situation i put her in? just think about it, man. she was a straight a student through high school. >> that's not all your fault, though. >> yeah, it is, man. it's my fault. >> everybody makes their own choices. you can't blame yourself for something somebody else has done regardless. you can sit around and say what-ifs, what-ifs for hours and hours. you have to accept what it is and move on from that. >> but spell says moving on won't be easy when it comes to his girlfriend and now co-defendant, brooklyn day. >> we've been together about seven, seven and a half years. and she was really like my first kiss and stuff. it wasn't her idea to go to the
11:24 pm
beach and get into all the trouble we got into. it was all me. i was like, hey, let's go. we're going to go party this weekend, have a good weekend. i didn't see all of this coming. >> going through this together and i don't blame it all on him. like i'm in it just as much as he is even though i would never do this if it was not with him. but, you know, i see it as we're in this together. i just can't see my life without him. >> day recently went to court hoping to be released on bond but things did not go her way. >> stand right over here, ladies. stand over here. >> i didn't get bond. it's really disappointing. i didn't go in there with high expectations anyways. i didn't have good news to come back with either. >> in fact, she received bad news. >> going in today, i didn't realize i could have more charges. it's pending. they're interviewing people saying, are you missing these
11:25 pm
things? i'm trying to think how many more charges am i going to get because of this? >> day says a combination of anxiety and boredom has her literally scratching at the walls of her cell. >> i scratched on the walls a little bit. these flowers are just reminding me of how my room was, you know. like i had it decorated with wall stickers that were flowers. it says wisdumb but spelled dumb because i thought that i had wisdom. i thought i was smart about making the right choices. but really i don't have wisdom, i have dumb. >> a lot of them draw pictures and graffiti or different things like that. any of that is considered damaging jail property. >> hi, ms. day. how are you doing today? >> i'm okay. >> i noticed you got a lot of artwork on your wall. >> yeah.
11:26 pm
>> was that like this when you moved in here? >> no. i was scratching on some of the walls. >> that's what they call damaging jail property. you know you could be written up for that? >> i didn't know that. >> you can get lockdown time and they could charge you restitution to paint the cell over again. you going to quit doing that? >> yeah. >> i don't want to see any more the next time i walk by here. >> okay. >> all right? i did not write her up at this time. miss day is a young, young lady. i know i talked to her shortly after she had first come in and she did seem pretty overwhelmed by the whole jail situation. i try to be fair with people. i believe that she probably didn't know that she shouldn't do that, but like i said, if there's any further damage, we'd take care of that at that time. >> yeah, i don't think i'll be
11:27 pm
scratching on the walls anymore. >> but day says what remains is a source of comfort. >> i've just written a few things that i think about. those are just a few of the things that i love. >> what's jts? >> that's jack taylor spell. you know, i love him. i just -- i can't see my life without him. some of the things, you know, they're not good. but still, i'm attracted to the drugs and money. i mean, i can't lie and say that i don't want to do drugs. what made me start trying different drugs was just peer pressure, like the influences of other people. i felt like if i was the only one not doing it, i'd be left out. first it was like smoking cigarettes and smoking weed and cough medicine. it sounds ridiculous, but i was addicted to huffing air duster, like canned air.
11:28 pm
i would have three cans a day. i would have it like constantly near me. i even had it in my bed one time, just doing it before i went to bed. i was really out of my mind. i'm disappointed in myself. i wish that i could have said no. i probably wouldn't be here right now. i know that i wouldn't be here. >> and day says the peer pressure she felt on the outside extends to her life in jail as well. >> i'm still young and i'm still like a sponge pretty much, like taking in everything i'm hearing. this one girl i remember how she described it to me. she was like, first you've got to try crack and coke and shooting up. and i have been really curious about trying heroin. and they go like, oh, you should try it. it's the best feeling. and i'm like, you know, what to think? like, should i? all these people are telling me it's the most amazing feeling. i've been tempted big-time.
11:29 pm
>> the jail, however, has offered her a very different opportunity, a spot on the 28-day-long substance abuse program. but for day it's not an easy decision. >> i know that it would help me. it's just my pride. i don't know if i would be able to let myself do that. it's just the fact that people would know, probably all of my family would know, like where's brooklyn? oh, she's in the rehab. that would be embarrassing to have to say to anyone. coming up -- jack spell and brooklyn day step outside the rules to create a jailhouse e-mail network. >> like we'd probably get in some kind of trouble if they figured out about it and everything. it helps me get through the days. >> and -- >> you know you are pregnant. why would you want to try to fight somebody when you know you are with child? >> officials hand down sanctions to kathleen blaha and tisha berry.
11:30 pm
11:31 pm
11:32 pm
11:33 pm
every year about 18,000 men and women are arrested and booked at the chatham county detention center in savannah, georgia. the vast majority of those individuals are released within 24 hours, either on bail, a promise to appear in court, or because their charges have been dismissed. recently, one of the 18,000 booked joined the 1500 or so who were incarcerated in the jail until their cases are resolved. jack spell's booking is a little more memorable than most. every year about 18,000 men and women are arrested and
11:34 pm
booked at the chatham county detention center in savannah, georgia. the vast majority of those individuals are released within 24 hours, either on bail, a promise to appear in court, or because their charges have been dismissed. recently, one of the 18,000 booked joined the 1500 or so who were incarcerated in the jail until their cases are resolved. jack spell's booking is a little more memorable than most. he says he was still feeling the effects of the drugs he took the night before. >> when they arrested me i was freaking out and i was just like causing a huge scene and stuff and just being the most like incooperate -- or incooperable -- is that a word i'm looking for? >> uncooperative. >> yeah, i was the most uncooperative -- like just fighting everything they said. disorderly. being loud and stuff. >> by the time i got here, he was already in what we call a
11:35 pm
detox cell and was being loud, disruptive, and i think he used his head a couple of times to beat on the door. another deputy went to talk to mr. spell and said, if you don't calm down we will have to put you in a restraint chair. mr. spell, first time i ever heard this from an inmate, wanted to go into the restraint chair so we obliged him. >> spell neither denies nor recalls requesting the chair. but says he didn't enjoy being confined to it. >> they put me in a hard black plastic chair and strapped me down in it with my hands cuffed behind my back and everything. that just made it worse because i was freaking out even more. >> spell and his girlfriend brooklyn day are accused of rummaging through a number of cars and removing items. day was a high school senior at the time of her arrest. >> right now i would actually be in my second block art class. we're making clay sculptures of a mask.
11:36 pm
so i would be in there with my friends, you know, having fun with clay and art which i love. >> while the couple awaits trial they are housed in different sections of the jail and are only permitted to communicate by sending letters through the mail. but day and spell have discovered a new way around that restriction. there's a computer kiosk in each housing unit that inmates use to order commissary and to file other requests within the jail. >> back in the old days they used to come up to you, ask you for a paper request. you have classification forms and all of these forms that we have to get to them through paper. this kind of knocks all of that out. this is digital. they can come here and request commissary, they can request to see a counselor. >> inmates may send e-mails to family and friends on the outside for 50 cents a message. spell and day, however, have figured out a way to use the
11:37 pm
kiosks to communicate with each other. >> me and brooklyn have been talking because we went to court yesterday and see, these have your little p.i.n. numbers and stuff on it. i memorized her p.i.n. number so i could get on hers and she could get on mine. we write each other e-mails but we can't send them so we save them as a draft. so whenever she gets back on hers, she'll see the draft that i saved on her account. whenever i get back on mine i can see the draft she saved on mine. draft for my babe. so she'll know, you know, it's a draft i saved her and stuff. i'm pretty sure we're not supposed to be doing this. like we can probably get in some kind of trouble if they figured out about it and everything. but it helps me get through the days. it's really one of the only things that keeps me going. like just reading all of this, it gives me reassurance about how she's going to be there when i get out. no matter what happens, everything -- everything is going to be okay, this is just a
11:38 pm
setback in our life. >> tisha berry and kathleen blaha may well be in for a different type of setback. they recently fought and have different ideas as to who instigated the fight. now officers assigned to the incident will determine who played the role of aggressor and what to do about it. >> i'm just trying to get a clear view of what really happened and add their stories to it and try to piece together everything. all right, so -- >> she said she just swung on her. she hit her. she hit her. >> so the actual instigator is ms. blaha. >> now she goes back at her. >> each individual hit each other. >> they did. >> so basically both of them are going to be charged. >> all right, charge them. >> yes, ma'am. >> even though ms. blaha initiated, they both had an equal part in the altercation and neither one of them were listening to the officer's
11:39 pm
directives when she was trying to give them orders to separate and lockdown or whatever. in this case we have to charge both of them. >> the charges are strictly internal as the fight is not considered serious enough to file new criminal charges. and rather than defend themselves in a hearing, blaha and berry signed waivers admitting to the infractions, were both given 30 days on lockdown status. >> what room is ms. berry in? >> 42. >> 42? >> yes. >> they will be confined to single-person cells 23 hours a day and lose phone visitation and commissary privileges. had they been found culpable in a formal hearing, they could have gotten up to 74 days on lockdown. >> y'all can't do what y'all want to do -- >> i didn't hit her. >> i told them everything that happened. she was pregnant. she was an older caucasian lady. just told me to take it, don't fight it. >> all right, you take care. >> all right. >> blaha is seven months
11:40 pm
pregnant. >> i do feel that part of it was my fault, but there's nothing really i can do about it. >> do you feel like you were responsible, given the fact that you're pregnant? >> yeah. yes, i do. >> private fisher who has dealt with both women in the past agrees with blaha. >> why would you want to try to fight somebody when you know you are with child? common sense should have told you, let her say what she had to say, you should have walked away from the situation altogether. you have been coming in and out of here long enough to know how things go. because you putting yourself and your unborn baby in danger. so that's on her. i don't have any sympathy for her. >> coming up -- jack spell asks for a transfer and winds up sharing a cell with a familiar face. >> it was somebody i knew from the streets, my friend garret. we kind of met through pills and stuff.
11:41 pm
>> i am worried about him losing it and doing something stupid.
11:42 pm
11:43 pm
11:44 pm
at the chatham county detention center in savannah, georgia, steven mcaloon is awaiting trial for allegedly getting violent with his fiancee and stepson during an alcohol-fueled argument. he can spend several hours socializing with others his temporary home is a seven by 12 foot cell. but he imagines it as something much more. >> you don't know how long you are going to be here. i don't. you call it your house and treat it like your house. you don't treat it like a jail cell. there's certain things you do in certain parts. like basically the master bedroom, you know, minus the nice flatscreen. this is my dining room/living room. there's the kitchen/jail sink.
11:45 pm
and then, of course, you have a bathroom. >> this actually tastes good today, man. >> mcaloon made friends with a younger inmate in his unit, jack spell. recently spell was transferred to another unit. >> i'm worried about him losing it and doing something stupid. everyone's prone to that. especially being 19 years old. more prone to it than at my age. and not being certain of what is going to happen. how much time he's getting. for some reason i feel responsible for him. he's not even my son. >> spell's move, however, could be a significant step for the better. he was accepted into the jail substance abuse program. >> the thing is start off with a plan and you start to work that plan. >> it's a 28-day drug and alcohol treatment program. the overall purpose is to get individuals who are addicted to drugs, alcohol, to start somewhere. it's 28 days. if they've been doing drugs 28 years, it definitely is not
11:46 pm
going to stop the problem right then and there. it's a start. it's a push to get them into the right direction. and that's the ultimate goal, change for the better. >> you got to change the way you look at things, change the way you think. >> obviously got a problem because i keep ending up in jail because of the same [ bleep ]. i figured it will look good in court. i'm trying to help myself out and stuff. >> there's a duplicate program offered to female inmates. >> i've told these girls stuff that i've never told anybody. not my parents, not -- and they've all helped me in a major way. >> among newer participants is spell's girlfriend and co-defendant, brooklyn day. >> we just started the program monday. and i think it's really helpful. a lot of people have cried and shared their stories. so it means a lot. you know? >> you consider yourself an addict? >> at first i didn't think about
11:47 pm
it, but we have a piece of paper that has like little scenarios and when you read it, it will tell you like if you're an addict -- like you answer a few questions and then it will tell you if you are or not. and i kind of realized i was. >> day says she now recognizes how easily her addiction influences her. two days into the program, she says she traded some of her commissary snacks for another inmate's prescription pills. >> i feel like a failure because i'm in the substance abuse class and yet i'm still thinking about getting [ bleep ] up and doing drugs. and like -- i don't know. i'm really disappointed that i did that. but it just felt right at the time. it just makes me think like, wow. i do have a problem. i do need to wake up. i am an addict. and that really kills me saying
11:48 pm
that. i really don't -- >> what is it about saying it, hearing yourself saying that? why does that make you emotional? >> because i never thought that i would say that. i never imagined that -- like i'm 18 years old. i'm not a drug addict. you know? i don't abuse drugs. but yeah, i am. yeah. it hurts to say it, but it's the truth. a lot of women have actually told me, you know, you remind me of myself when i was that age. it's really scary thinking that could be me in 30, 20, 10 years, you know. somebody that's in and out of jail, still an addict. >> though day has never met kathleen blaha, she could well be describing her. blaha says her drug addiction spans some 20 years and has contributed to homelessness and
11:49 pm
a variety of prior convictions and incarcerations. >> the crack and the meth mainly. but i've done more meth than i did the crack. it has an effect. a lot of people can tell that you've done drug in the past. because of your expressions you make. sometimes the looks that you can make, how you walk, how you talk. they can tell what kind of drugs you've used. when they said that, every time i get a chance i look in the mirror and i see what they're saying. because it does show. it does show. it's frustrating because as much as you want to hide that part of you, you can't because they can see it. >> now just weeks from giving birth, blaha is confined to a single person cell 23 hours per day and has lost privileges such as visitation and commissary for
11:50 pm
fighting with another inmate. though she agreed to the 30-day sanction and is about halfway through, she says it's getting to her. >> i'm just going crazy in that room. i'm to the point where i'm getting so depressed. >> though mental health counselors are available to segregation inmates, blaha has not requested a visit. but she has asked for a meeting with lieutenant york to ask for a favor. >> all i'm trying to ask is if there's any way i can get off lockdown early so i can be around people. >> one, i can't cut your time. i will tell you straight up. you took a waiver, didn't you? >> yes, ma'am. >> all right. when you take a waiver, you're saying, i'm guilty, i know i did what i shouldn't have done, and you're going to take the time offered on that waiver. okay? i can't change the waiver you accepted on your own free will. actions, reactions and consequences, right? okay. we're grown here, right? you're grown. you have to be responsible for
11:51 pm
what you say and for what you do. >> yes, ma'am. >> okay? >> thank you. >> you're welcome. >> they want to violate the rules and regulations but they don't want to do the time. kind of like on the streets when you break laws but you don't want to come to jail. >> coming up -- >> i guess i'm going to get started on this tattoo. >> jack spell takes a break from rehab and acquires some body art and brooklyn day is left with a major question. >> i really think i might have to consider letting him go. by 10:00 each night the
11:52 pm
11:53 pm
11:54 pm
by 10:00 each night the chatham county detention center in savannah takes on a different feel from the daytime as all but a few select inmates are locked in their cells. the only ones out and about are part of the jail's maintenance team. >> i'm the night sanitation
11:55 pm
officer. we take care of the cleanliness of the jail at night, sweep and mop the floors, clean the offices, and painting. there's always something to paint. in the rooms paint gets peeled off the walls. walls get scuffed up, scarred up. it's a jail. there's always constant work. >> on the work list tonight is a cell that once belonged to 18-year-old brooklyn day. >> you can tell a lot about the girl. you can tell she's young, she's talented. she's a virgo. she lives in the moment. she loves america. she keeps her head up. looks like she was pretty bored, though. yeah, this one ain't that bad. not compared to some of the rest of them i've done. >> for the past few weeks, day has been living in a housing unit dedicated to the jail's female substance abuse program. >> what is the process from the first day you started class to
11:56 pm
where you're at now, from what you've learned and what you walk away with? >> well, i really never, ever would have thought that i would be going through this. i didn't even think that i had a problem until i was here and sober and able to realize that. >> brooklyn was a big concern for us when she first came in. for a little girl, brooklyn had been taking a lot of crazy drugs and her life was very chaotic. brooklyn has been able to move to a place where she understands that she has a problem and that she's an addict. and that's not easy for someone at 18 years old. >> but i'm going to admit and say honestly that i -- it's not all out of my system. i know that for a fact because i crave drugs all the time in here. >> i guess i'll get started on this tattoo. >> day's boyfriend jack spell is in the men's substance abuse housing unit. but spell and his new cellmate are risking their ability to
11:57 pm
stay in the program by violating the rules. >> it was somebody i knew from the streets, my friend garrett. we kind of met through pills and stuff. >> garret has been tattooing spell using among other things a staple and pencil shavings. >> yes, this is a little tattoo parlor right here. >> it's not helpful to have a cellmate that i knew on the streets who was doing -- you know, living this other lifestyle with it. because we're sitting up here, talking and reminiscing about all the [ bleep ] we used to do. then we try to go downstairs and we're trying to change and trying to get out and not do those lifestyles. >> thank you. >> you're welcome. >> who is it from? >> it's from jack. >> while day and spell have figured out ways to use the jail's kiosk system to exchange e-mail, they still send each other handwritten letters as well. >> i know his feelings towards
11:58 pm
everything. like he wants to still be with me and have a future and all that. but i don't know. i just -- i've been up and down with it. the biggest factor in my life is jack right now, but he's part of the reason i'm in here. and i really think i might have to consider letting him go. i really don't want to do that. i don't want to have to put this person out of my life, but if it causes me this much trouble then, you know, it's something i might have to do. but he would have to make big changes in his life in order to have me in his life as well.
11:59 pm
12:00 am
>> due to mature subject matter, viewer discretion is advised. look at all that. >> man, oh, man. my [ bleep ] bill is too damn high. it feels like i can't afford it, man. >> jail takes a dark turn for a light hearted teenager. >> it's a little more dangerous in here because people are fighting life so people snap easily. >> it provides a new beginning for an old bank robber. >> i've been writing "bank robber blues, the tales of the

0 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on