Skip to main content

tv   Hardball With Chris Matthews  MSNBC  August 15, 2016 11:00pm-12:01am PDT

11:00 pm
trump laid out new details about how he would fight terrorism at home and abroad. it comes after trump last week accused both president obama and hillary clinton of being the founders of isis. well, today he attacked clinton, saying she lacked, catch this, the mental and physical stamina to take on the terrorist group. here he goes. >> with one episode of bad judgment after another, hillary clinton's policies launched isis on to the world stage. importantly, she also lacks the mental and physical stamina to take on isis and all of the many adversaries we face. not only in terrorism, but in trade and every other challenge we must confront to turn our great country around. >> chief among trump's new proposals today is what trump calls a new policy of catch this phrase, extreme vetting. which would accompany his
11:01 pm
proposed temporary muslim ban on those seeking entry to the united states from countries affected by terrorism. here's trump. >> the time is overdue to develop a new screening test for the threats we face today. i call it extreme vetting. i call it extreme, extreme vetting. we must also screen out any with hostile attitude towards our country or its principles or who believe that sharia law should supplant american law. those who do not believe in our constitution or who support bigotry and hatred will not be admitted for immigration into our country. >> i'm joined by msnbc political analyst howard fineman, global editorial director of the huffington post, msnbc terrorism analyst malcolm nance and conservative talk show host dana laesch.
11:02 pm
before we get into technical stuff, what did you make, howard, of trump's claim that hillary clinton lacks the physical or mental stamina to do the job of fighting terrorism? >> i think he's doing whatever he can to widen the gender gap even further. because the implication here is i think just under the table a little bit, you know, i'm a man, i can take on the bad guys, she's a woman, maybe she can't. >> what do you make of that, dana? >> i don't know necessarily if it has anything to do with the gender gap. >> what does it have to do with, then? >> i don't know. i don't know if he's going after -- i don't think you even need to bring in her health or stamina. i think you just look at her foreign policy record. >> why is he bringing in her stamina, lack of physical and mental stamina? why bring that up in a speech on foreign policy? a direct shot at her personal ability to do the job. >> i didn't write the speech, i don't climb into his head so i don't know. i can only tell you what i
11:03 pm
witness from the outside. i look at it like why not just go after the fact her record with honduras, with libya, in egypt, her record of pushing for the wrong reform in syria. there's a number of things we could touch at. >> let's talk -- let me go with malcolm. so glad to have you and your expertise today, and wisdom. suppose we had all these rules in place, and i'm for any effort, nobody knows what to do so everybody should try. trump is right in there with everybody else. extreme vetting, the ban for muslim countries that have had terrorism, all that, what would have been -- which of those would have been effective in stopping 9/11? >> well -- >> if you asked those 19 guys are you here to do damage, do you like our country, want to turn it into sharia law, are you hostile toward american values, i assume they would have done when we do, have you been near wild horses this week, have you gone through vegetable patches, the question you ask every time
11:04 pm
you come into this country, you go no, no, no, no, no. i assume they would have gone no, no, no, no and would have been here. what's the good of this extreme vetting number? what does it do? >> i have no idea. because to tell you the truth, 9/11 was a special mission. those were trained operatives who were sent here to use as you said the visa system properly to come into this country and then act as sleeper agents until they activated and did the attack. same thing with the attack we saw in europe. this extreme vetting donald trump is talking about today is nonsense. it really has no basis in reality. there's only so much you can do. we use national intelligence, deep level national intelligence about members of isis but to tell you the truth, there are far more disturbing things in his speech than that. >> every time you go in a bank they say do you promise not to rob this bank and everybody would say i'm not going to rob the bank and the bank robbers would say it and then rob it. what is extreme vetting? it sounds ridiculous and i know it is, but what is extreme vetting? obviously the bad guys will lie.
11:05 pm
>> yeah. i don't really trust bad guys to work on the honor system. i think there are two things with this. first off, i'm pleased that people are saying islamic terrorism. i'm glad we are finally at that stage. >> trump is. >> we need to identify it. >> you think obama's not clear about who our enemy is? >> well, when we have the fbi who is redefining words in their documents so as to omit words like sharia and other instances, yeah, i think we are not being very clear. we need to be. that's important. but here's the thing about this. with the creation of a commission, i guess i wonder why do we need to create another commission, why can't we have the fbi, cia, dhs, why can't we have these agencies simply do the very thing we are, the campaign is talking about having this commission do? i think that's something that maybe perhaps we should look into instead of creating another commission. >> good point. here he is. so everybody watching knows what we are talking about, yoare referring to what trump today proposed as a new domestic commission, his word, to root out home-grown terrorism, people here who have become terrorists while here. >> one of my first acts as
11:06 pm
president will be to establish a commission on radical islam. the goal of the commission will be to identify and explain to the american public the core convictions and beliefs of radical islam, to identify the warning signs of radicalization and to expose the networks in our society that support radicalization. to accomplish your goal you must state a mission. the support networks for radical islam in this country will be stripped out and removed one by one viciously, if necessary. viciously, if necessary. >> i didn't like that phrase. >> viciously? >> yeah. that said to me, it's like he said we're going to do it in a way that will bother people purposely. it will be really horrendous. i'm not even sure exactly what it meant.
11:07 pm
you trying to figure out in a local mosque is the imam, is he saying things that would stir radical thinking and radical behavior, right. okay. i think we do that already. what's he up to? >> first you will have a propaganda commission designed to tell everybody what's wrong with all of these people. then you are going to viciously strip them out. that's the term he used. he repeated it, in these terms, viciously extreme, extreme, all of that is donald trump trying to communicate a sense of anger and retribution that he's going to carry out and hurt them while we're doing it. that's his theory. for his people, for the people at his core, this actually was a well-done speech for those people. >> let's go to malcolm. what is the usefulness of this kind of proposal which first of all, most conservatives, not sure trump should be called a conservative anymore, they hate all these commissions. there's millions of them. they are everywhere. commission on this, commission
11:08 pm
on that. it's called nanny state, it's getting in our face. if you could detect crime or criminal intent before it occurred, we would have it made. we would have it all made. there wouldn't be any more crime because we could spot them with interviewing people. you want to commit a crime, put them away. you can't spot crime ahead of time. human nature isn't susceptible to previews. we don't preview our behavior. your thoughts. you're the expert. >> can i be honest with you? >> sure. >> i have been doing this a long time. i have heard a lot of things this last year in this campaign but i'm going to tell you right now, this is the single most un-american thing i have ever heard in my life. i have heard deep undertones of this. he's talking about creating a politboro type organization that will root out extremism viciously within the united states? this is mccarthy-ite level of studies. >> visualize what it would be. >> obviously he will have to either nationalize the federal armed forces and intelligence apparatus in order to turn it
11:09 pm
inward on u.s. citizens in order to investigate our own citizenry for suspected networks. this is not going after humphrey bogart for whether he was in the communist party in the 1950s. this is a war on american citizens under the guise of the name of terrorism. i have been doing counterterrorism for 35 years. i have never heard anything like this and this is dangerous, dangerous talk. >> dana, your thoughts on this? i don't want this one-sided attack. what do you think, what you heard today? what did you like in his proposals? let me put it positively. >> i was in the middle of my radio program when he spoke. i checked out the transcript and walked away with a couple of things. first off, i think when he was talking about this commission which i just said earlier i'm not quite sure why we couldn't have the fbi or dhs to do it because the dhs is if we all remember, created inhe aftermath of 9/11. there has been complications
11:10 pm
with this. we have seen complications with the politicization of going after radical islamic terror even in the language that is being used in fbi documents. i think we need to remove the politicizing of going after radical islamic terror, remove that. i think that's one positive step that his campaign has made. but you know, as you mentioned, i'm a conservative libertarian. i don't want to see a ton of different commissions. i just want to see the departments that have been charged with protecting united states citizens with regards to keeping us safe, making sure that we don't have home-grown terror attacks, making sure we are not having radical islamic terrorists come into the united
11:11 pm
states. i want to see the departments to be able to do their jobs. i'm not quite sure how this commission is going to fit into that. but i like the fact we are acknowledging what we are fighting against. i do get the sense, i have to tell you this, i do get the sense that if there was a 3:00 a.m. phone call, donald trump would probably answer it as opposed to hillary clinton because he can't stop tweeting so he always has his phone. you know he would be able to answer something. >> look, i'm not an expert. malcolm is. i think they know who they are going after. i think tell me right now, your judgment of our fbi efforts. is our fbi leading in the right wing, left wing direction, too soft, too politically correct or too tough? where would you rate our efforts right now in terms of catching bad guys as they become bad guys? >> i think they are excellent at catching the bad guys. we have caught virtually everybody. we are evaluating this on the one or two that get through the network. as we have seen, many of them, many of them are u.s. citizens
11:12 pm
and to then categorize the children of immigrants of which we are all, as potential threats to the united states and to focus law enforcement and intelligence efforts on that runs up to a flat constitutional violation right off the bat, then secondly, try to propagandize the united states with it. this is dangerous. it's just dangerous. it's wrong. it's absolutely wrong. >> is it wrong to look for islamic terrorists among islamic people? >> no. it's wrong to -- look, that's a false -- >> i'm asking a simple question. >> it's not wrong to look. but as we know, terrorists who come into this country have no structure around them that makes them whether they are going to be a muslim or not. radicalization from christians who have converted, we have had american citizens who are completely unreligious go out and become terrorists and adopt terrorist ideology in one day. >> when the brits used to fight the ira it was pretty smart to start with the irish. it wasn't stupid of them or wrong. >> but that was a homogenous society in a geographically limited area in which northern ireland was infiltrated already with british forces and british people who could turn grass who would turn information on them. the united states is 320 million people. you are essentially saying we will turn a flashlight, a spotlight on to the entire nation to root out a class of people which are nameless and classless which could actually create far, vast more quantities of terrorism.
11:13 pm
>> if i -- >> i'm just trying to find out where you put the needle here. where's the needle going to be. the more terrorism we get, will the needle more towards the more right wing point of view? you know it is. we know the more that goes on the tougher government will get. dana? >> we have gone after a lot of limited government individuals here in the united states before and have had government departments, bureaucratic agencies which have been weaponized to do so. i'm glad to see we are coming to some concrete agreement about how it's perhaps not very good to do that. i will say this. i think we need to be more selective about our immigration process, as much as other countries like mexico and ireland are. i do think we need to be aware we can't politicize the religion, a religious fundamentalism, we have zealots coming out that don't like our way of life and we need to stop being politically correct about it. that's why i will say the republican nominee's resonating with a lot of people. >> thank you all. coming up, as donald trump
11:14 pm
talks national security, his campaign chairman paul manafort, this is tricky, is facing serious questions about undisclosed cash payments in the millions he reportedly accepted from the pro-russian political party in ukraine. the clinton campaign's pouncing on the story as you might expect. manafort says the reports are false, he didn't take money from any government, he says. plus hillary clinton campaigns with vice president joe biden up in scranton today, where biden came from. clinton is hoping he can help her win the final piece of at the electoral puzzle. if she can beat trump up there she's got it. and the "hardball" roundtable is here with their take on trump's news strategy of attacking the media. he's attacking everybody and accusing hillary clinton of cheating her way to victory. that's pretty desperate. let me finish with trump's charge he has more mental and physical stamina than hillary. i have an obvious way for him to prove his point.
11:15 pm
11:16 pm
the editorial board of the "wall street journal" issued a devastating critique of the trump campaign today. quote, by now it should be obvious that none of this is working. it's obvious to many of his advisers who are the sources of the news stories about dysfunction. they may be covering for themselves but this is what happens in failing campaigns. the difference is that the recriminations typically start in october, not mid-august. if they can't get mr. trump to change his act by labor day the gop will have no choice but to write off the nominee as hopeless and focus on salvaging the senate and house and other down ballot races. that's the "wall street journal" editorial page. that's supposed to be the friend of republicans. we'll be right back.
11:17 pm
11:18 pm
i also believe that we can find common ground with russia to fight against isis. >> welcome back to "hardball." that was donald trump and his
11:19 pm
foreign policy speech this afternoon. he made no mention during his speech of the latest distraction for his campaign. new questions about his campaign manager, paul manafort's ties to the pro-russian party of ukraine. today's "new york times" reports that manafort who ran a political consulting firm was the recipient of $12 million in cash from the party of former ukrainian president viktor yanukovych. the article states handwritten ledgers show $12.7 million in undisclosed cash payments designated for mr. manafort from mr. yanukovych. yanukovych's pro-russian political party from 2007 to 2012. investigators assert the dispersions were part of an illegal off the books system. manafort, a long-time consultant for yanukovych slammed the "new york times" saying once again the "new york times" has chosen to purposefully ignore facts and professional journalism to fit their political agenda. it's fwhoenl that i do work in the united states and have done work overseas as well. i have never received a single off the books cash payment as falsely reported by the "new
11:20 pm
york times" nor have i ever done work for the governments of ukraine and russia. the "new york times" never alleged he worked for the government of ukraine, of course. it didn't take long for the clinton campaign to pounce on the report. robby mook, the campaign chair, called on the trump campaign to disclose campaign chair paul manafort's and all other advisers ties to russia and pro-kremlin entities including whether any employees or adviser currently representing or being paid by them. manafort's connections to the ukrainian president is nothing now but given trump's calls for closer ties with president putin and the recent hack of the dnc, the report raises some questions i suppose. for more, i'm joined by "the washington post" columnist eugene robinson and nina kruscheva, from the new school. thank you for joining us. eugene, first of all, i think churchill said russia is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside after enigma. then he said to understand russia, think of their interests. what are the interests of
11:21 pm
russia, of mr. putin, in our election? what interests do they have in it? for a reasonably unparanoid person, what would i think they would care who won this election? >> i think putin wants to reestablish russia as a great power. i think he wants to steal or appropriate as much money as he can along the way. i think he wants to continue his own reign, i think you could almost call it that, in russia and by that to curry popular favor by essentially not reestablishing the entire soviet empire, but plucking off crimea and establishing a certain amount of russian influence over the sort of former soviet republican. i think that's what they want. >> nina, thank you for joining us. what do you think russia wants right now in terms of our election? do they have any interest in it?
11:22 pm
>> they certainly have interest in it. they have been commentating it, they have been alleged or at least trump alleges there's a relationship between him and vladimir putin and i think for what vladimir putin wants is that he does want to have relationship with the united states. trump promised him that relationship. vladimir putin also knows if trump is elected, this relationship is going to be driven by putin, whether they really actively influence it or not, we can discuss the dnc scandal and hacking and whatnot but they are certainly going to get a candidate, going to get a president in the white house who as putin probably believes is going to follow putin's example,
11:23 pm
because trump does want to be vladimir putin's friend. trump told us already that nato is probably an outdated alliance and therefore, the european countries may not be protected by nato. he did say we are going to fight isis together, whatever that means. so in this sense, for putin, i think trump is a very comfortable occupant of the white house in the future. >> you know, decades, generations ago i heard the argument that most of the 20th century was east versus west. us against russia. us against china. and the next generation, one we're in right now, was going to be north/south. it was going to be islamic. there is the russian revolution, the russians worried about the bottom of their country. they have the same worry we have now. alliance isn't odd or against our interests, necessarily, is it? we both have the same enemy right now. >> well, right. i think not necessarily. there has been a hesitancy on the part of the obama administration and most of the
11:24 pm
foreign policy establishment here to go all in with putin on the middle east and on syria, for example. we are kind of doing it in syria. >> i thought secretary kerry was doing that. >> the idea is we don't want to be seen as approving what he's doing in crimea, the way he sort of looms over the baltics. we don't want to be seen as aiding and abetting that sort of behavior by getting in bed with putin too snuggly. >> that's what nixon did in the '70s. we didn't argue over vietnam. we negotiated on other things. let me ask about this thing. what do you think about this manafort thing? manafort, whenever you see money in this country, everybody is like that explains everything. $12 million explains a lot of policy. if he's taking $12 million from yanukovych and his party in ukraine, that explains what? because trump was having his bromance, his bromance with putin a long time before manafort showed up.
11:25 pm
so what's the connection? what's the importance of manafort having taken some money if he did? >> in some ways, bromance is mostly in donald trump's mind, because there is no evidence that they have ever met. trump has been courting russia since the early '90s and really the relationship kind of always get to the point of some trump tower rising somewhere in moscow and it really never, ever happened. so that relationship for trump was sort of putin is much more desirable part of bromance at least for now than trump is for putin, but the manafort, it's really not -- it has been known that manafort is political operative, he runs campaigns and has dealings with various unsavory governments. he worked in zaire, in the philippines with marcos. it really has been known about him. it's just somebody who donald trump just talked about extreme vetting. that is remarkable that somebody who runs supposedly seriously for president really has such unsavory characters in his own campaign and really gives him a very bad taste, not that we need more of a bad taste there, but really cements the notion that trump is bad for american democracy, very bad for america's reputation because he
11:26 pm
can be flattered that putin does and he can be bought. therefore, all this -- >> he can be bought? how do we know that? >> what i mean is he keeps talking about the deal. he keeps talking about the fact that economic relationship more important than anything. every time he delivers, almost every time he delivers a political speech he talks about his hotels somewhere. so this suggests that the price is right and the deal is right, he can actually make that deal. i think that is dangerous because if america is the leader of the free world, what does it say about the next free world leader in? >> i have to think your family for what you did in the world two generations ago.
11:27 pm
that is i didn't like your grandfather putting offensive weapons in cuba but i sure as hell liked the fact he took them out and saved the world from blowing up. thank you for coming on the show tonight. >> thank you. >> in all seriousness, i think every american agrees with me. up next, vice president joe biden hits the trail with hillary clinton in scranton, pennsylvania, a state trump hopes to turn red. he ain't going to do it this week. the clinton lock up the keystone state for herself and kill trump's chances? because we all know you don't win pennsylvania if you're trump, you don't win the presidency. the battleground map is looking better and better for the dems. that's ahead. romantic moments can happen spontaneously, so why pause to take a pill? or stop to find a bathroom? cialis for daily use, is the only daily tablet approved to treat erectile dysfunction
11:28 pm
so you can be ready anytime the moment is right. plus cialis treats the frustrating urinary symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently, day or night. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medicines, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, or adempas for pulmonary hypertension, as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, get medical help right away for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or any symptoms of an allergic reaction, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis for daily use. many men aren't aware their health insurance may cover cialis. contact your health plan for the latest information. >> i'm alex trebek. if you're age 50 to 85, i have an important message about security. write down the number on your screen, so you can call when i finish.
11:29 pm
the lock i want to talk to you about isn't the one on your door. this is a lock for your life insurance, a rate lock, that guarantees your rate can never go up at any time, for any reason. but be careful. many policies you see do not have one, but you can get a lifetime rate lock through the colonial penn program. call this number to learn more. this plan was designed with a rate lock who want affordableed income life insurance that's simple to get. coverage options for just $9.95 a month, less than 35 cents a day. act now and your rate will be locked in for life. it will never increase, guaranteed. this is lifelong coverage that can never be cancelled as long as you pay your premiums, guaranteed. and your acceptance is guaranteed, with no health questions. you cannot be turned down because of your health. call for your information kit and read about this rate lock for yourself.
11:30 pm
you'll also get a free gift with great information both are free, with no obligation, so don't miss out. call for information, then decide. read about the 30 day, 100 percent money back guarantee. don't wait, call this number now. ♪
11:31 pm
11:32 pm
it is so great to be back in scranton, pennsylvania. we came to the lake every summer of my life and loved every minute of it. my father was able to go to college, went to penn state, where he played football. >> i want to make it clear that as scranton has always had my back, we in fact, all of us, are going to have your back, hillary. >> welcome back to "hardball." that was hillary clinton today with joe biden, the vice president, in scranton, pennsylvania, where both the rodham and biden family have their roots. it was the first joint appearance for clinton and biden and the vice president didn't hold back when it came to trump. here he is. >> he's trying to tell us he cares about the middle class. give me a break and to repeat myself, it's such a bunch of malarkey.
11:33 pm
it makes no sense. none. none. none. none. this guy doesn't care about the middle class. and i don't even blame him in a sense because he doesn't understand it. he doesn't have a clue. i have worked with eight presidents of the united states. i have served with hundreds of senators. only 13 senators in history, i'm embarrassed to say, have served as long as i have. no major party nominee in the history of the united states of america, now, don't cheer, just listen, has known less or been less prepared to deal with our national security than donald trump. >> well, as joe biden would say, in all sincerity, there's virtually no scenario in which donald trump cannot win the white house without winning
11:34 pm
pennsylvania. but right now the numbers don't look good at all for trump. the last four polls out of pennsylvania show clinton, hillary clinton, with double digit leads, up there at ten. it's about ten, holding there, between ten and 11 points. this is awful for trump. joining me are two men who know pennsylvania, what it takes to win that state. ed rendell, the former governor of pennsylvania, former mayor of philadelphia, former d.a. and john brayben, former strategist for rick santorum. it seems to me that hillary and joe biden today were chipping away at what might be the trump base. they are going for that bottom 30%. they are going past the suburbs, going to scranton, going for a big win. >> there's no question, chris. and they have got a message. the message is this guy they are running against is a phony. he talks about bringing jobs back to america, yet everything he produces is produced abroad. he has no real programs. he doesn't have any feel for the middle class. he's been a rich guy living off the largesse. he brags about paying as little taxes as possible. he has nothing in common with you.
11:35 pm
hillary clinton in her speech in detroit actually resonated a lot of themes that do appeal to the middle class. i think she has a chance to get that. but understand, it almost doesn't matter if donald trump continues to lose the philadelphia suburbs by 40 points. i will give you an example. in 2012, barack obama was elected state-wide in pennsylvania by five percentage points. he only carried the philadelphia suburbs by six points. no democrat in history has had a 40% margin except when i ran for re-election in 2006, i won 70% to 30% but i was the hometown guy so you can throw that out. you cannot lose the philadelphia suburbs by more than 15 or 20% if you are a republican and have any hope of victory. >> what do you think of that? i have heard that argument. 33% of the vote in pennsylvania is from philly and the suburbs. >> we have a pennsylvania quorum. you are from philly, i'm from
11:36 pm
erie. we know the state. i will tell you the western side of the state is a lot different. here's what you have to understand. the fluidity and the wing swing vote in pennsylvania. when ed rendell ran in 2006, i believe, correct me if i'm wrong, you won by approximately 20%. four years later, 2010, the republicans then win the governors race by ten points, a 30 point swing in just four years. the point of pennsylvania is you have to throw out history and understand rick santorum was elected twice state-wide. tom ridge was elected governor twice state-wide. tom corbett. pat toomey is our senator. they will vote for republicans. we are struggling at the moment in the eastern side of the state as the governor says but that can change. >> how would it change? >> well, first of all -- the paradox of pennsylvania and the
11:37 pm
paradox of trump is he's appealing to what are the son and daughters of reagan democrats, particularly in the western center parts of the state. but he's doing it in a way that i think is hurting him with some of the more moderate republican, oftentimes female voters in the eastern part of the state and he's trading off on those. he can't afford to do that. >> let me ask you, when you look at his tough stance on immigration, basically he targets terrorists, he thinks he can find them in the way j. edgar hoover couldn't find thm. i don't know how he intends to find them before they commit the actions. how does that swing in, say, bucks county and montgomery county? does that hurt him there? is that a plus for him? >> it cuts both ways. it hurts him a little bit but it also helps him with security moms and there are security moms in the suburbs. john is absolutely right. he's getting killed in the suburbs, he's losing republican votes and losing independent votes big-time. unless he reverses that course, he's in deep, deep trouble.
11:38 pm
i'm not sure that he can reverse it. i think this is almost locked in or set in. i don't think he's going to lose by 40 points but he sure as heck is not going to be competitive. i'm not sure there's much he can do to change it. >> nbc news has updated its 2016 battleground map to reflect the latest polling. catch this. if the election were held today, it's not going to be held today, the states in hillary clinton's column add up to 288 votes, electoral votes, exceeding the 270 needed to win the presidency. so she's ahead. donald trump is at 174 electoral votes, an additional 76 in the toss-up category. so john? >> well, here's the problem. >> if he has a good week, he hasn't had a good week in three weeks. >> we haven't had debates or any of this stuff. >> does he want to debate? will he debate? >> absolutely has to, and has to win. but you cannot win as a republican unless you get all the romney votes, of those states, and then you have to win two rust belt states, probably ohio and pennsylvania, and then florida.
11:39 pm
that's a lot to ask. >> quick question for the governor. is there any way the democrats can get back the reagan democrats, the working people, white people, to be blunt about it? get them back, the ones that did like bobby kennedy? can you get them back? >> yeah, i think if hillary clinton gets elected president and if she does economically what she did for, for example, upstate new york, i think she can win those people back. one quick point, though. tom corbett was elected governor because he won the philadelphia suburbs by ten points. donald trump would have to pick up 50 points to do as well as tom did. >> you cannot beat the governor at the numbers. especially the suburbs of philly where he's god. >> john brabender -- >> they loved him in the subject shalls. >> more importantly, the eagles and steelers play thursday night. >>overnor, thank you. great eagles cmentator and expert. up next, donald trump says if it weren't for the press, the media, he would be crushing
11:40 pm
hillary in the polls. isn't attacking the media the hallmark of a loser? the roundtable is coming here for that.
11:41 pm
11:42 pm
11:43 pm
these people are the lowest form of life. i'm telling you. they are the lowest form of humanity. i'm not running against crooked hillary clinton. i'm running against the crooked media. that's what i'm running against. it's true. cnn is disgusting. and by the way, their ratings are going down bigly. the good news is i put down failing at "new york times." the newspaper's going to hell. >> wow. he hates everybody. welcome back to "hardball." donald trump over this weekend turned his attention away from
11:44 pm
his rival hillary clinton to instead attack the media. after verbally railing against the press, trump then took to twitter to a series of posts saying it is not freedom of the press when newspapers and others are allowed to say and write whatever they want even if it is completely false. he also tweeted if the disgusting and corrupt media followed me or covered me honestly and didn't put false meaning into the words i say, i would be beating hillary by 20%. joining me right now for the roundtable, it's a great one, jennifer granholm, clinton delegate, i never get that straight. former governor of michigan. eli stokeles and april ryan, my pal. april, let's go. first of all, usually you attack the media when you have a reason. he seems to attack for everything. what did we do? we quoted him when he kept saying hillary is the founder of isis because he kept saying it literally, i mean it literally. then he got up friday morning at 6:30 and put a tweet out saying what i have been saying for
11:45 pm
three or four days doesn't mean anything, it's just a sar sarcastic remark. >> what you say is what you mean. he is a gentleman, using that term loosely, who seems to say a lot of things. he will say some things, then come back and change it. you don't see that is not presidential. when it comes to the press, he seems to be very angry with us because we are factual, we are doing fact checking. for instance, he's very upset about us talking about his economic plan, the national urban league is running out against it calling it foul, talking about the fact it's a trickle-down effect and those who are in minority groups, moderate to low income, will not fare well. i will say this. as someone in the fourth estate, we are the fourth branch of government. the imaginary fourth branch of government. but it's about accountability. we hold the president or any of these presidential candidates or anyone that we are covering accountable with q & as. >> one thing i noticed was after he won the nomination early, he suffered because the press had a lot of time to do enterprise
11:46 pm
reporting. for weeks, they were doing tough pieces on him. that's a fact. then lately, he's still mad about that, still raging against the wind now but for awhile there, there was a lot of enterprise reporting and he suffered from it because he doesn't look good under inspection. he just doesn't look that good. >> right. he hasn't pivoted or changed his message in that time. there's a big self-fulfilling prophesy aspect to this. why is the information flow on donald trump so negative. it's because the country has never seen somebody so mendacious -- >> what's that mean? >> telling lies. falsehoods. so there's that aspect of it. >> just say he's a liar. >> i will try to dumb it down a little more. >> i like big words. >> i think it's obvious why he's hitting this so hard now. he can't talk about the polls anymore. the polls only show him down ten points and it's a great talking point to hit the press for his base, but again, it doesn't really mean anything to swing voters, people who are really important to this election. >> mendacious was used in "cat
11:47 pm
on a hot tin roof" and somebody said just say what you mean. remember that? >> i don't. >> governor, the "wall street journal," talking about the press, trashed him today, one of the most conservative major newspapers in the country trashes trump. it isn't just the liberal media, the "new york times" and everybody else. >> it is such a stupid strategy, honestly. i know he's got this whole notion of if i tell it like it is or go after the press, my base will be happy. you know what, if you go after all the media that means you are going after people in home towns across the country. >> he doesn't like rush limbaugh. he doesn't mean fox. >> people back home who are not in his camp hear first of all he's whining. two, he's insulting the media broadly which i subscribe to, i read the hometown papers. >> which paper do you like? >> detroit free press. >> what's the best newspaper in the country right now? >> it's hard to argue with the
11:48 pm
work the "new york times" is doing. there are a lot of great local city papers also doing great work. >> what about the urban networks? you get a lot of that? the roundtable is staying with us. up next, these three tell me something i don't know.
11:49 pm
a new survey on "usa today" and rock the vote shows hillary clinton winning among mel linials. 56% of the vote, 30% advantage among young adults.
11:50 pm
we start with the governor. governor, tell me something i don't know.
11:51 pm
11:52 pm
>> she's there with joe today in your favorite state. >> bob finnegan. they all came out for this one. >> here's what the kicker is, not been covered, in pennsylvania, pennsylvania will gain from her economic plan because they were talking about jobs, pennsylvania will gain 414,000 jobs, according to moody's and would lose 135,000 -- >> what would happen with fracking under hillary? >> given the current situation, she would -- >> i'm cauing trouble. go ahead. >> reince priebus, a lot of people say he has the toughest
11:53 pm
job in politics trying to be the go between. he's done this for six years now and in his third term. you would think after this cycle he would want to take a long vacation. there is scuttlebutt he may want to run for a third term and they broke the story today. carly fiorina may be interested. stay tuned. >> we're going to tv fast, we remember him from the white house correspondents dinner, cornell brooks was there. when he said the "n" word was racially offensive but now he says larry whitmore will have his show canceled, said there will only be one black person in late night tv and his voice speaking out on issues of race will be gone. he says there will be a big lack of diversity now that larry is gone. >> who's replaing him? >> he's not being replaced. >> that's very bad news. thank you, jennifer.
11:54 pm
i mean governor. >> you can call me jennifer. >> here, governor. >> let me finish with trump's charge he has more mental and physical stamina han hillary clinton. i have an obvious way for him to try to prove it. you're watching "hardball," the place for politics. [ clock ticking ]
11:55 pm
11:56 pm
11:57 pm
time. you only have so much. that's why we want to make sure you won't have to wait on hold. and you won't have to guess when we'll turn up. because after all we should fit into your life. not the other way around. let me finish tonight with something donald trump said today that cannot go unnoticed.
11:58 pm
trump said quote shellacs the mental and physical stamina to take an isis and all the many adveaies we face, not only in terrorism but trade and the challenges we mutt confront to turn -- we must confront to turn this country around. there you have it the challenge, he, the real estate baron believes the public will favor him over his rival. he beat jeb bush by calling him low energy. and now calling clinton stamina, mental and physical, he has it and she doesn't. in 1950 when he was running for senator of california, congressman richard nixon took such a shot and his rival. it's awfully hard for a woman, he said, this campaigning. i was thinking of that when trump made his lion's roar of anything she can do i can do better. how can we test it and know which of the contestants wins the stamina medal in gold
11:59 pm
competition? how about we debate and make each contest about an hour and a half to see who has the mental stamina to stay sharp and physical stamina to keep up the energy. guess what, the commission on presidential debates has such a contest scheduled to start next month. hillary clinton has agreed to meet trump in this run of debates and donald trump has not. here's your chance, mr. trump, to see what it takes. what are you waiting for? that's "hardball." all in for chris hayes starts right now. >> tonight, on "all in." >> we will be tough and we will be even extreme. >> donald trump unveils his loyalty test. >> i call it extreme vetting. i call it extreme, extreme vetting.
12:00 am
>> thy republican nominee announces his new plan to combat terror as his campaign rewrites history. >> before obama came along, we didn't have any successful radical islamic terrorist attack in the united states. plus, inside the stunning new projection in the nbc background map. >> this man is totally thoroughly unqualified to be president of the united states of america. >> biden time in pennsylvania, as trump's call for poll watchers sparks a legal outcry. >> the only way we can lose, in my opinion, i really mean this, pennsylvania, is if cheating goes on. >> all that and why trump's attack on the media may be different than any other candidate when "all in" starts now. >> i'm not running against "crooked" hillary, i'm running against the crooked media.

120 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on