Skip to main content

tv   All In With Chris Hayes  MSNBC  August 25, 2016 12:00am-1:01am PDT

12:00 am
"all in with chris hayes" starts right now. >> tonight on "all in" -- >> african americans are tired of being used by these phony politicians. >> donald trump in mississippi with mr. brexit himself. >> i tell you what, i think he's going to win. >> tonight the latest strange twist in the republicans' effort to resuscitate his campaign. >> i caught the undercover trump voter. >> is donald trump winning if you count secret trump voters? then senator chris murphy on the latest trump resistance to releasing his taxes. >> it would be foolish to do. >> the nexus of hillary clinton, epipens and another odd introduction for mike pence. >> i'm a white male and i am prejudice. what did i do to change? >> when "all in" starts right now.
12:01 am
>> good evening from new york, i'm chris hayes, in the latest perplexing move by hissoun orthodox campaign, donald trump is about to take the stage tonight in jackson, mississippi, where mitt romney won by 12 points in 2012. following a fund-raiser in the city with the second highest percentage of african americans in the country. and trump has right-wing british politician nigel farage, the leading politician for britain to leave the european union. he's not endorsing, but he and trump both seem to recognize what their politics have in common. while promoting the leave campaign, he exploited voters fears about immigration, which is echoed in trump's first tv ad which debuted last week. faraj writes his own column for breitbart news. he gafe them a massive thanks after his side won the brexit vote in june. trump later applauded the vote
12:02 am
to leave the eu and took credit for predicting the outcome. a few days ago, he tweeted, they will soon be calling me mr. brexit. trump is campaigning with britain's top xenophobe to counter the view by many that he is racist. trump is planning trips to churches, charter schools and small businesses in black and latino communities, including a possible visit to detroit where ben carson would guide him on a tour where he grew up. tomorrow he'll be have the african leadership initiative, which trains young people to work on campaigns. earlier today, trump made a pitch to hispanic voters in florida, an tu battlround state.
12:03 am
but he still hasn't quite mastered how to address people of color. >> over the last three weeks, the polls with african american folks, and spanish-speaking folks, the hispanics, the latinos, have gone way up. >> for the record, that's not accurate. trump's numbers with hispanics are basically down. trump has added a targeted pitch to his stump speech, but he continueds to talk about voter fraud in racially coded language. >> you've got to get everybody out to watch and to go out and vote. and when i say "watch," you know what i'm talking about, right? you know what i'm talking about. you gotta go out and you gotta watch. >> as "the new york times" writes, trump's description of black america is deeply
12:04 am
offensive to many black americans. >> poverty, rejection, horrible education, no housing, no homes, no ownership. crime at levels that nobody's seeing, you can go to war zones in countries that we're fighting and it's safer than living in some of our inner cities. >> i'll be able to make sure when you walk down the street in your inner city or wherever you are, you're not going to be shot, your child isn't going to be shot. >> joined now by robert costa, "the washington post" and msnbc political analyst. robert, i gotta say, donald trump in mississippi, in jackson, starting a new push for african american voters with nigel farage seems to sum up all the strange contradictions in this moment in this campaign. >> chris, the appearance of farrage especially is telling
12:05 am
and it's telling about the influence of steve bannon, the former head of breitbart. i hear bannon and trump are speaking multiple times a day. in the same way that trump latched onto this populist, nationalist promoted by others on the hardline right a year ago, now bannon is encouraging him to latch on to what he sees as a nationalist movement globally. so trump is trying to be this global, populist figure. >> yet at the same time, you got nigel farage and he stands for a certain version of keeping britain pure, folks can understand what that means or interpret it how they want. and you've got him down in mississippi and trump's adviser saying they want to get out there and have him talking to voters of color and getting them back in the fold because his margins there are horrendous.
12:06 am
>> there's a lot happening in his inner circle. kellyanne conway, trying to get trump to speak about regret and reaching out to different kinds of groups who trump is struggling with in polls. bannon trying to bring in farrage and think about trump in pure populist terms globally and here in the united states. and it all comes as trump is looking at this final, less than 80-day stretch of the election, where he has to bounce back. he doesn't want to lose his core. but as he's bringing nigel farage to mississippi, he's tweaking about how he speaks on immigration. >> yes, and he's starting to sound, in a prerecorded town hall, sounding jeb bushian n talking about paying back taxes, if they've been here 20 years and they've been good citizens, do you want to kick them out? that was jeb's position in the primary for which trump destroyed him.
12:07 am
>> it's a sign how much politics are drink by a nationalistic impulse. this is someone who doesn't come out of the movement right, so even when it comes to a core issue like immigration, he's navigating on non-traditional terms and he's not staying as close to the right position as a jeff sessions or ann coulter. even ann coulter herself is saying, what is trump doing? this sounds like consultant speak. but this is who trump is, someone who walked into a movement, rather than being someone who came out of its hot core. >> so you can kellyanne conway talking about suburban voters, bannon wants him to be the nigel farage of the u.s. what exactly is this campaign's message at this point? i thought i knew it when i went
12:08 am
to the convention and i heard that speech, which was basically really doubling down on this populist approach. it's unclear to me now what it is. >> when you talk to trump's associates in the campaign now and from previous years, he has a deep belief, not guided by polling, that african american voters, latino voters, if they can connect with his wealth and success, can identify with him in the closing lap of the campaign. of course polls show he's deeply unpopular, and this goes back, especially to his time in 2011, 2012, as the leader of the birther crusade. that hurt his numbers in a significant way with those voters. but trump himself believes he can win them back. >> yeah, it's a tough bell to unring, robert. thank you very much. >> thank you. joining me now, author of the gilded rage, and michael eric dyson, professor the georgetown university and author of the black presidency. i thought "the times" article did a good job laying out his speeches, how they're sounding
12:09 am
to people living in black america? >> yeah, it amplifies the worst bigotries one might imagine and puts a harsh spotlight on the inability of this presidential candidate to understand the fundamental truths of black life, to respect its radical diversity, black people are different. although, i must say the tragic thing here is that people are wanting a presidential candidate to address poverty, to address disproportionate concentration of crime, to talk about the lack of safety that african american people face. the only problem is, donald trump offers nothing to relieve those particular problems. and everything to reinforce them. his critical celebration of a police state, his refusal to acknowledge the criminal justice system has been unfair to
12:10 am
african american people, and lumping all black people into a monolithic stew, without understanding the differences and the conflicts and the internal machinations that constitute who we are as a community. so it's not only the blind leading the blind. it's those who are incapable of hearing the truths of black america, that mega phone has been put to that lack of ability to hear and what we hear is really chaos. >> alex, you spent months, essentially, if i understand the project, just spending time with trump supporters, right? >> that was the idea. >> how do you think these speeches, this language, what do you have to lose, how are they hearing that? how is that resonating with them? >> i don't think it's necessarily adding any trump voters. i don't think there were a lot of people on the fence or within a mile of a fence waiting for this speech. but whether he's losing people
12:11 am
he already had, i would probably say it's not going to hurt him that much. i don't think these are people who are necessarily as consumed with race and immigration as some people -- >> really? you think so? >> i mean obviously you can't stereotype. and there are too many people. i don't want to replace one stereotype with another. if i had to come down on one side whether it's racial as a primary driver of trump support, i'd have to come down on the economic side. >> interesting. there's this question whether how much of this is performance for suburban white voters, particularly white women, in places like the georgia suburbs or in northern virginia, or in the areas that are the boston suburbs, new hampshire, where he's getting destroyed, and how much this is about essentially trying to set this -- i think jameel smith said this yesterday, that voting for trump in and of itself is not a racist act, because people do not want to commit that. >> right. and it relates to the point that was just made in regard to, it's not a conscious choice of many
12:12 am
white brothers and sisters, if you polled them and asked them, they would deny it. but isn't that the lure of whiteness? it has been the default position of american identity. so that whiteness and nation are seemed to be linked, and as a result of that, you don't have to talk about whiteness. all have you to do is talk about making america great again. black people hear those code words and they understand what they mean. to your point, within african american culture, understanding just what's going on here, understanding the play that donald trump is making now, and let's be real. many african american people see this as kellyanne conway comes in and says, you're leaving on the table a lot of potential black people who might resonate with you. the only problem, they can't resonate with a guy who doesn't understand, again, that doesn't mean he's contradicting the principles of white nationalism, he's reinforcing them without being held to account.
12:13 am
and donald trump say massively gifted manipulator. and at the end of the day, there may be no there there, but what's there at the end of the day is the status quo, and that has not favored african american people. >> here's the question. we're watching him do this thing on immigration, where people call it a pivot. it looks like a 180. or it might be nothing, because there's no there there. we think of trump supporters and the trump industrial complex, which is like the world of trump twitter, like ann coulter. those aren't necessarily the same worlds. so there's a question about that and then from the folks you talk to. what is your sense this border invasion stuff is for them? >> when i was on the border, that's where i saw the most, sort of self-awareness and critical thought with regard to trump's more extreme immigration statements. people there just intuitively
12:14 am
understand that the wall is an insane idea and completely unworkable. >> the congressman from texas said on my show on the air, yes, it's ridiculous and he supports trump. >> i talk to dozens of hard core trump supporters on the border, and they say, soon as he gets into office, he'll surround himself with people who will tell him, we just need boots on the ground. >> so it's a rallying cry. that makes me think he can walk away from some of this stuff. >> as long as they believe he's still committed to the idea of a security border, the wall itself is a metta for. thank you both. still to come, no longer able to stake success on polling, the trump campaign's latest tactic, undercover voters. but first, donald trump still refuses to release its tax returns, so lawmakers are taking drastic measures.
12:15 am
senator chris murphy joins me to talk about it right after this.
12:16 am
12:17 am
>> here's what i think you'd find if donald trump's tax returns come out. because in at least a couple instances in the '80s and '90s they did get produced and it showed that he paid no taxes, none. and he's bragged about using every trick he can to pay no taxes. >> the issue of donald trump's tax returns remains, because he's still refusing to release them. he's claimed he can't release them while being audited, an excuse repeated again this morning by his son. >> there is no tax attorney in the world who will tell you to release your tax returns while you're under a standard routine audit. it would never happen. anybody who thinks that is in la la land. it would be foolish to do. and i'm the biggest proponent of not doing it, because he's under a standard audit, you just don't do that during that time.
12:18 am
>> according to the irs, an audit is no impediment to releasing the taxes. >> there is zero risk that releasing the first two pages of his tax return, plus the schedule a, that shows charitable contributions. that will have no impact whatsoever. and it tells the american people what they have a right to know. he's put these issued in the public. >> last time trump's tax returns became public was in 1981. it showed that trump had for two years in the late 1970s taken advantage of a code popular with developers that allowed him to report negative income. there's been legislation introduced that will require presidential candidates to release their tax returns. our next guest supports that legislation. joining me now, senator chris murphy of connecticut. why make this statutory under
12:19 am
law? >> i think had we thought 20 years ago that this president -- precedent would be broken, we would have done it then. but the risk to the american public of this information not being made public, i think, is incredible. it's grave. and it's because, i think, frankly, this might go much deeper than just a question of whether it would be embarrassing or politically damaging for donald trump for the american public to find out that for a series of years, he paid no taxes. my worry is that there's something much more insidious in those tax returns. what we know, his siblings have said that donald trump has been deeply invested in russia and likely russians have been deeply invested in him. as you sort through why he's taken these curious positions on matters of foreign policy, like denying that russia invaded ukraine, the answer may come in his tax returns, there may be
12:20 am
substantial connections between russian oligarchs and donald trump, and that's what is most important for the american public to know. that's why this legislation is important. because nobody's going to be able to get a full picture of why he's running for president unless they can see his tax returns. >> there has been speculation about financial ties to russia. there's a quote from a child about the investment there. they have responded in non-denial ways about their specific posture. it brings me to the story he's telling his audience, there's nigel farage there. still trying to get my head around that. but the story about clinton foundation being pay to play, take a listen. >> hillary clinton ran the state department like a failed leader in a third world country. that's what it's run, like a third world country. she sold favors and access in
12:21 am
exchange for cash. >> what do you say to that? >> well, that's made up. it's a complete lie. in fact, all of the e-mails that came out today, that speak to the relationship and some of the conversations between the clinton campaign and the foundation, there's nothing in them that suggests there was ever any kind of conduct like that, that trump alleges. but just for one second, let's think about what he's alleges. he's alleging that hillary clinton conducted herself in a manner such that people would give donations to try to cure worldwide aids and malaria, to combat child obesity. there's nothing to suggest she did that. but that stands in direct contrast with donald trump, that he may be running for president
12:22 am
in order to enrich himself and his family personally. so it's pretty rich in hypocrisy that donald trump is making these allegations not anchored in fact, when he may be running for president to make himself personally richer. >> we should note the campaign disclosure, that his campaign bought $55,000 worth of his books. i want to ask you about nigel farage. basically this brexit happened and everyone associated with it has basically died politically in britain. nigel farage is at a rally in jackson, mississippi, being hailed. what do you make of that, this idea that there's this transnational, quote, nationalist movement and what the sub text of that is? >> well, it exists. it's real. and whether you like it or not, part of the undercurrent of the campaign for england to leave the eu was a fear of people who
12:23 am
look different from them, living amongst them. and of course that is what is fueling donald trump's rise. it's a strange time to double down on that play, because we know that people who are making their decision in the middle of the electorate are incredibly uncomfortable with the racism of donald trump and his campaign. it probably just shows that his campaign has no idea what they're doing. i mean, we try to read some specific and bold new strategy into nigel farage standing on stage. it's alienating swing voters who don't want to hear that rhetoric and it suggests this campaign is probably as directionless as ever. >> all right. i don't know why i find it bizarre and surreal that nigel farage is speaking in the midst of a presidential campaign. thank you very much for your time. >> thank you. heather mcgee's powerful response when a white man asked her how to overcome his prejudices. she'll be here to talk about it coming up.
12:24 am
12:25 am
>> we were just talking about the clinton foundation and senator chris murphy and we talked about it last night. and part of the problem of accusations against hillary clinton for her treatment of the donors of the clinton foundation is that there so many donors in prominent positions. if you throw a dart at a news story, you're likely to hit one. here's one example, mylan pharmaceuticals, a donor, they worked with clinton foundation in 2009 to lower the cost of antiretroviral drugs needed to help patients with hiv in developing countries. yet today in a statement, candidate clinton blasted that same company for what she called an outrageous price increase of one of its vital products, the epipen, calling it the latest
12:26 am
troubling example of a company taking advantage of its consumers. it's quite literally life-saving for users. the drug doesn't last. people need to purchase epipens sold in a two-pack, regularly. that can add up. now epipen's manufacturer is facing growing outrage following several steep price increases on his life-saving products. >> in 2010, the price was $150. then 300, 400, 500, and now with a near monopoly, $608. the ceo's compensation has grew nearly 700% over the time. nevertheless, members of congress are calling on mylan to
12:27 am
explain itself, which could get awkward for ceo heather bresh, given she's the daughter of joe manchin of west virginia. but perhaps all is not lost for the drug company. mylan got a rigorous defense this week. >> martin 64ely is under indictment for securities fraud. today he defended mylan. >> milean's a good guy, they have one product where they were finally starting to make a little bit of money and everyone's going crazy over it.
12:28 am
>> i'm alex trebek. if you're age 50 to 85, i have an important message about security. write down the number on your screen, so you can call when i finish. the lock i want to talk to you about isn't the one on your door. this is a lock for your life insurance, a rate lock, that guarantees your rate can never go up at any time, for any reason. but be careful. many policies you see do not have one, but you can get a lifetime rate lock through the colonial penn program. call this number to learn more. this plan was designed with a rate lock
12:29 am
for people on a fixed income who want affordable life insurance that's simple to get. coverage options for just $9.95 a month, less than 35 cents a day. act now and your rate will be locked in for life. it will never increase, guaranteed. this is lifelong coverage that can never be cancelled as long as you pay your premiums, guaranteed. and your acceptance is guaranteed, with no health questions. you cannot be turned down because of your health. call for your information kit and read about this rate lock for yourself. you'll also get a free gift with great information both are free, with no obligation, so don't miss out. call for information, then decide. read about the 30 day, 100 percent money back guarantee. don't wait, call this number now. ♪
12:30 am
12:31 am
donald trump trailing hillary clinton in national polls and polls in most of the battleground states looking even worse for trump, the trump campaign and some trump supporters have been trying to make the case that a man who loves to proclaim himself a winner isn't actually losing. one trump backer saying, i don't believe in the polls, they ain't called us. trump and his aides have been pointing to the size of trump's rallies to argue against the polls. trump saying, i'm going good, i have the biggest crowds, nobody's ever had crowds like this. and there's the argument that voters simply aren't telling pollsters the truth.
12:32 am
>> this is pretty up for grabs. >> i would bet it would go towards trump. i think there's a silent trump thing going on right now, people that might not want to admit it. >> that was also stated by kellyanne conway in an interview with the uk's channel 4. >> donald trump performs consistently better in online polling where a human being is not talking to another human being. >> why is that? >> because it's become socially desirable, especially if you're a college educated person, to say that you're against donald trump. the hidden trump vote in this country is a significant proposition. >> have you been able to put a number on that? >> yes. >> what? >> i can't discuss it. it's a project we're doing internally, i call it the undercover trump voter, but it's real. >> the interview was taped many weeks ago and she knows they're behind. but that doesn't make her argument less problematic or at least interesting.
12:33 am
claiming that voters have been lying to voters because of the social stigma attached to admitting the truth. economist david roth child wrunched the numbers and found there's no evidence of a bradley effect in trump general election polls. and then there's the more fundamental problem for the trump campaign, which is it's at odds with himself. while simultaneously trying to make the case to people of color that trump is on their side. joining me now, liam donovan, whose twitter feed has been essential reading for me. >> thanks for having me. >> look, you can't have it both ways, essentially, right? you cannot go after goosing the white vote, white non-college, as demographers call them, and the appeal you need to get them
12:34 am
does what that makes it so hard to get other people. >> right. i think it's the bell that can't be unrung. you're using this wedge and pushing on it and there's an inherent tension there. they appreciate that and that's demonstrated by what they've tried to throw back in, in the later -- the latest attacks they've taken, to appeal to nontraditional gop audiences and it's meant to appeal to the disturbs they've lost. so i think their behavior is indicative of the fact that they realize what they've done and they're trying to undo the damage, ask that's just trying to get back to par. >> it's like a runner who has drifted too far off first base and now the throw is coming and they're trying to get back to the base. and i don't mean the base in the political sense. they're trying to get back to the spreads and numbers they need just among white college educated women, particularly in
12:35 am
those suburbs, to be at romney levels. >> that's exactly right. i think for all the heat that jeb bush took about the paradox of, you have to be willing to take risks in the primary that might imperil you in the general, you've seen the exact opposite. i think the things that pay off in a republican primary, that we saw, are things that, you know, it's not that voters weren't paying attention there. it's that they were and you're seeing reflected in trump's numbers. it doesn't appeal beyond a sub set of a sub set of the electorate. >> there's also -- what's so weird to me, i expected -- some of the things you're seeing now, i expected at the convention. i remember when i got the early copy of that speech he gave at the rnc, i thought to myself, this is the full breitbart. they're really going with this thing, they got this huge audience, a chance to reintroduce him and they're going with this. i mean, you gotta imagine what has convinced them to try to tackle it is just the polling,
12:36 am
right? >> right. and i think that's the fascinating thing, to watch the two-step that you're seeing, kellyanne conway on one side of his shoulder and steve bannon on the other. and it almost depends what side of bed he wakes up on, or who he talked to last because there's no consistency, no coherence to it. which is probably too much to ask, because we haven't observed that throughout the campaign. but it's hit or miss every other day, he's got a new message, he's softening, he's not softening. he's mr. brexit, hanging out with mr. brexit in jackson, mississippi. this isn't stuff that plays in swing counties in the electoral battlegrounds. >> to me, what's happening with immigration, someone coming in, and be like, i'm a disrupter, and then sort of slowly learning, oh, right, there was a reason. it's like campaign's 101. like, oh, yeah, that's true. i guess you gotta court those voters that everyone's been
12:37 am
courting in every election going back for 20 years. >> in fairness, he's coming full circle. these were the things, he was saying the hard-working ones can stay. he sold a fantasy and it was a ror shack test. he was never explicit or prescriptive with the policy. so he could have it both ways. it's more about feelings than it is about actual policy. >> but ultimately you have to have some kind of policy. you're going to get nailed down in some direction. >> but i think his tendency has been, he can't share that with you, because he's the ultimate strategist, playing 3d chess. >> thank you for your time. coming up, a stunning moment live on cnn. a caller admits to his own prejudice and asks how to the answer ahead. plus, mike pence at the barber
12:38 am
shop, then had to explain who he was at the sandwich shop. don't go anywhere. thing 1 tonight, mike pence so why pause to take a pill? or stop to find a bathroom? cialis for daily use, is the only daily tablet approved to treat erectile dysfunction so you can be ready anytime the moment is right. plus cialis treats the frustrating urinary symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently, day or night. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medicines, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, or adempas for pulmonary hypertension, as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, get medical help right away for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or any symptoms of an allergic reaction, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis for daily use.
12:39 am
many men aren't aware their health insurance may cover cialis. contact your health plan for the latest information.
12:40 am
12:41 am
thing 1 tonight, mike pence meets america. last night we brought you mike pence gets a hair cut. on the campaign trail in norristown, pennsylvania, he spent 27 minutes in the barber chair, great opportunity to meet a local and pick up another swing state vote, but after 27 minutes, there was just one problem. >> that's great. >> your name was? >> mike pence. >> mike pence? >> yes, sir. i'm the governor of the state of indiana. >> okay. >> i'm running for vice president of the united states. >> whoa, man. vice president? >> yes, sir. >> oh, boy. >> yes, sir. i'm running with donald trump. i'm his running mate. >> okay, all right. >> just tapped me a month ago. >> it was a little awkward, but
12:42 am
it must have been a fluke. today's episode, mike pence gets a sandwich. after ordering lunch in wilmington, north carolina, pence made the rounds with some local patrons. hello. >> how are you? >> mike pence. >> nice to meet you. i'm sandy loveman. nice to meet you. >> this is? >> my son cody. >> good to meet you, man. >> little bit out of town, yeah, about five hours. also mike pence appreciate cody. can you get how this one ends? that's thing 2 in 60 seconds.
12:43 am
>> so mike pence stopped into winnie's for a sandwich today. worked the room. after approaching this family, they pause said their meal to engage in polite conversation. and watch what happened as they try to wrap up the conversation to go back to their lunch.
12:44 am
>> we're from. [ inaudible ] >> just a little bit out of town? >> about five hours. yup, nice to meet you. >> i'm donald trump's running mate. >> fairly amazing thing happened
12:45 am
12:46 am
>> fairly amazing thing happened on tv over the weekend on c-span of all places. heather mcgee, president of the progressive public policy organization, a frequent guest on this show, was on washington journal to talk about public policy among other things. she was not there to give life advice to viewers, but watch what happened when one gentleman called in with a question. >> i was hoping that you could help me change my mind about some things. i'm a white male and i am prejudice, and the reason it is,
12:47 am
is something i wasn't taught, but kinda something i learned. when i opened up the papers, i get very discouraged at what young black males are doing to each other and the crime rate. and i understand that they live in an environment with a lot of drugs, and you have to get money for drugs. and it's a deep issue that goes beyond that. but when i have these different fears and i don't want my fears to come true, you know, so i try to avoid that. and i come off as being prejudice. but i just have fears. i don't like to be forced to like people. i like to be led to like people through example. what can i do to change, you know, to be a better american? >> heather mcgee? >> thank you so much for being
12:48 am
honest, and for opening up this conversation, because it's simply one of the most important ones we have to have in this country. and so, asking the question you asked, how do i get over my fears and my prejudices, is the question that all of us, and i will say people of all races and ethnicities and backgrounds, holds these prejudices. most of them are unconscious. you say to yourself, i'm not prejudice, but we all have them. so your ability to just say, this is what i have, i have these fears and prejudices and i want to get over them, is one of the most powerful things that we can do right now at this moment in our history. so thank you. >> that's the sort of thing you don't see on tv every day or any day. when we return, we'll talk about it with heather mcgee. stay with us.
12:49 am
12:50 am
12:51 am
12:52 am
>> so what can you do? get to know black families who are not all -- and not even any majority are involved in crime and gangs. turn off the news at night, because we know from -- sorry, gretta. >> we're not delivering the news, so it's fine. >> because we know that actually "nightly news" and many media markets that have been studied
12:53 am
actually overrepresents african american crimes and under-represents crimes that happen by white people. join a church, if you are a religious person that is a black church, or is a church that is interracial. start to read about the history of the african american community in this country. foster conversation in your family and in your neighborhood, where you're asking exactly those kinds of questions. this fear of communities that we do not live near, we are still a very, very segregated country. millions of white americans live in places where they rarely see anyone of a different race. this fear and set of ideas that we only get from the worst possible news, it's tearing us apart. and we know that in order to be the -- our name means the people of the nation, in order to be a
12:54 am
dimos that is unite the across lines of class, gender, age, we have to foster relationships, we have to get to know who one another actually is. >> joining me now, heather mcghee, president of demos. as the kids say, it's gone viral. why do you think it's getting sharedo much? >> when i stepped off the set at c-span, of course there were more callers. it was a call-in show. so i knew something special had happened. i myself was moved by his question, but i had no idea actually that it could possibly resonate this much. and i think there are a few reasons. one, i think most -- you know, first and foremost, it was gary from north carolina, his bravery in saying that, right? it is, now we are at a moment where people are sort of choosing sides on race, and it seems like, you know, the sort
12:55 am
of fox news version of the racial discourse in this country is that african americans think there is racism and there are a million reasons why there aren't. and so it does feel like there's a vested interest in denying the existence of racism. and of course that's so far from the truth. not only in our public policies and our history, in our economy, in our politics, so very obviously, but also in our minds and our hearts. and what i really wanted to get across was -- and again, this all happened very, very quickly, you know, i heard the call-in and something sort of came out in me. i wanted him to say, i wanted him to hear from me, from a black woman who works in politics, thank you for being brave enough to do what frankly many people of color work so hard to do, which is just get us to admit that racism exists, start the conversation. >> one of the things i thought was so fascinating was his apt self-awareness of the cause of this, which is reading the
12:56 am
newspaper, i mean, the media that he was consuming was telling him, you know -- >> yeah. >> and breitbart, which, whose campaign manager -- or one of the campaign heads is a person who basically is now running the trump campaign, there's a tag on breitbart called black crime. you can go sort your breitbart consumption by #black crime, and that's not limited to them. >> no, it's not. there's a very clear narrative that, you know, it's in the alt-right, it's breitbart, but it's also fox, and of course it's also donald trump, which is justifying racial inequality. and the thing that's so important for us to remember, that's not new. you know, i often try to put myself in the shoes of a white
12:57 am
person in the era of segregation, and if i just sort of supported the way that life was ordered and the sort of my place in the world, would i have been just a totally different cartoonish evil type of person? obviously not. these are many white americans' grandparents and great grandparents. but in fact, you had to have been sort of surrounded by images, stories, myths, narratives that were excuses for why it was -- >> they were justifications. >> they were justifications, and that's where we are today. >> people did not go into lynch mobs because the person -- they didn't tell themselves they're a lynch mob because the person was black. they told themselves they were a lynch mob because the person had committed a horrible crime. that's what they were telling themselves. people tell themselves all sorts of stories. >> but right now, we're at this moment, i think, when there's an incredible opportunity -- >> there is. >> -- for americans to sort of
12:58 am
reengage in this question of what it means to be american, who belongs, who deserves to be sort of inside the circle of human concern. >> and what we look like as a dimos, as a people. i want to you respond to this. donald trump is in jackson, mississippi, second highest majority black sort of population of black voters. you see the crowd there in jackson, mississippi, as they stream out. here's something he said about hillary clinton and her racial politics. take a listen. >> hillary clinton is a biggot who sees people of color only as votes, not as human beings worthy of a better future. >> yeah, um, so, to be fair, i think most politicians see people as votes. >> that's right. >> but, you know, donald trump is at zero to 1% with the african american community for a reason.
12:59 am
and whether it's the way that he sort of burst onto the scene in new york as a slum lord who had to settle, you know, massive case of anti-black discrimination, to his leading and mainstreaming of birther movement. there's not much he can do to sort of unremind us of how he really feels about the black community. >> but what i love about that moment and i have no idea who that guy is voting for or supporting, is that there's donald trump, and he's sort of rung the bell he's going to ring. but there's millions of fellow citizens who may be supports him or not, and they can unring the bell. they can be different people in their racial attitudes than they were yesterday. >> absolutely. >> thank you. that is "all in" for the evening. >> thanks to you at home for staying with us for the next hour. it is special occasion night
1:00 am
here tonight on the rachel maddow show. we are going to start right off at the top of the show, not with me talking for 17 straight minutes, but rather with the interview. i have had the opportunity on this show this year to interview democratic presidential candidate hillary clinton a handful of times. i've not yet had the pleasure of interviewing republican presidential candidate donald trump. i live in hope that that interview will happen here and sometime soon, but in the meantime, i'm very excited to say that i've got what i think of as the next best thing. we are joined tonight for the interview by donald trump's campaign manager, kellyanne conway. thanks so much for being here. >> my pleasure. thank you for having me. >> i have to ask you, if it's a hard decision to do a show like this with liberal comy pinko like me. or do you guys -- >> i've never described you that way. no, it's a pleasure. i wanted to pass along a hello from donald trump. i told him i was coming on your show and he said it was a terrific idea. and i said i hope i'm your warm-up ba a

25 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on