Skip to main content

tv   All In With Chris Hayes  MSNBC  August 26, 2016 5:00pm-6:01pm PDT

5:00 pm
morning at 10:00 a.m. eastern time for a.m. joy. tomorrow we have the man who had the interesting phone call from paula page. plus more on the alt-right. "all in with chris hayes" starts right now. >> tonight on "all in" -- >> he has built his campaign to prejudice and paranoia, helping a radical fringe take over the republican party. >> hillary clinton keeps warning america, and republicans not named trump aren't really objecting. >> we haven't seen prominent republicans stand up and defend him in the last 24 hours. why do you think that is? >> i don't know. i mean, congress is in recess. it's august. >> tonight the fall-out from hillary's alt-right speech and why it has left dald trum scrambling. plus, from breitbart to bridgegate, new questions about the republicans' new hires. >> we're going to use our best people. >> new questions about donald trump and hiring foreign workers
5:01 pm
for jobs in america. and the new audio of an angry governor losing his cool. >> i have respondent my life helping black people and you little son of a bitch socialist [ bleep ] -- >> when "all in" starts right now. good evening from new york, i'm chris hayes. in the wake of hillary clinton's methodical evidence-based indictment of donald trump yesterday for trafficking in and encouraging racism in his campaign, trump has, with some success, been working to bait the media into covering the issue as a simple back and forth. an exchange of racially charged accusations as the washington post put it. trump calls himself the law and order candidate, says police need to get much tougher. in an interview last night, he doubled down on his claim that his rival is, quote, a biggot. >> she is a biggot. you look at what's happening to the inner cities, to african
5:02 pm
americans and hispanics in this country where she talks all the time -- >> how is she biggoted? >> because she's selling them down the tubes. she's not doing anything for those communities. she talks a good game. >> she has dislike of black people? >> her policies are biggoted because she knows they're not going to work. >> but you're saying she's personally biggoted? >> of course she is. >> clinton cited numerous examples yesterday to link trump to racism, trump is putting forth very little evidence to support his claim. consider the republican reaction to clinton's speech. normally the gop would rally around its presidential nominee after such an attack. particularly when he's being linked to something as odious as explicit racism. instead, we've heard crickets from top republicans, perhaps because trump and his policies have already been deemed racist, either explicitly or implicitly. remember back in june, house
5:03 pm
speaker paul ryan called trump's attack on a federal judge for his heritage, quote, the textbook definition of a racist comment. tod mitch mcconnell said, i don't think he saw the speech. and as for trump's charge of bigotry, sean spicer could not bring himself to back his nominee in an interview with msnbc this morning. >> do you think hillary clinton's a biggot? >> no, i mean -- i think some of the policies that she's schted have not helped the african american, but anybody who knows me, i just don't tend to use certain words. but again, i'm not -- so that's not something they might personally say, no. >> in her speech yesterday, she cited bob dole, george bush and john mccain for pushing back against racist rhetoric.
5:04 pm
in an interview with msnbc this morning, clinton discussed her choice to deliberately cleve trump off from the rest of his party. >> i am reaching out to everyone -- republicans, democrats, independents -- everyone who is as troubled as i am by the bigotry and divisiveness of donald trump's campaign. and i've said repeatedly, this is not a normal choice between a republican and a democrat. we're not just discussing our different views on tax policy or anything else of importance. we are facing a divisive candidate whose loose cannon temperament and his complete lack of preparation make him unqualified to be president and temperamentally unfit to be commander in chief. >> joining me now, katie packer, deputy campaign for mitt romney
5:05 pm
in 2012. argued this week clinton should let paul ryan and the gop go down with the trump ship. let me start with you, katie. so there's this really interesting tactical decision the hillary clinton campaign has to make. do you cleave trump off from the gop or attempt to yolk him to the rest of the gop? so however paul ryan is troubled by that comment, he's going to vote for him, as are many other republicans. what do you think of this choice he's made to cleave him off from the rest of the gop? >> well, i think it's interesting. and hillary clinton has cleared seen an opportunity, given the fact that trump is only attracting 70% of republican voters. normally that number, by the time you get to a general election is up in the 90s. so that means there's 23% of republican voters who aren't comfortable with this nominee. so she's trying to appeal to them. at the same time, she does have to take some responsibility for
5:06 pm
her party and the fact that they have failed the african american community and many minority communities. if you look at the inner cities -- >> what do you mean by that? >> -- they're almost all over the place run by democrat leadership. my home city of detroit michigan has had democrat leaders for my entire lifetime and that city has struggled -- >> and you think that's because of the party in charge? what do you think about the governor of maryland cutting off billions of dollars in transportation infrastructure investment to the west side of baltimore just a few months after the uprising, as an example of limitations of municipal governments not being able to serve underserved communities? >> i don't know enough about that example. >> it's a perfect example, isn't it? >> i don't know enough about that issue to respond to it. but i think successful local governments are governments that work with their governors of both parties.
5:07 pm
and i do think that that's something that the democratic party has to answer to. >> rick, what do you think? >> it's something the republican party has to answer for. detroit basically won world war ii for the united states of america, saved us from fascism and hitler, saved the world from fascism and hitler. and its reward was the white people fled the city after african americans were invited to work in the factories. they put up a wall -- >> that's not how it happened. that's not how it happened. >> that's exactly how it happened. [ all speak at once ] >> -- came in as mayor as the city of detroit. -- >> the county supervisor in oakland said that he's -- [ all speak at once ] >> wait a second. are you saying that white flight is not a real phenomenon that's happening in mearamerican citie? >> no, it is a phenomenon. i'm speaking specifically to the city of detroit, where the white
5:08 pm
mayor asked white people to leave at that time. >> that's your argument for where the white people left the city of detroit? >> regardless, that city has been governed by democrats my entire lifetime and they had failed the black community in that city. >> katie packer, first of all, you think white flight happened in detroit because a black mayor told people to leave detroit? is that the story of detroit white flight? >> i grew up in detroit and -- >> rick, what do you think about the tactical decision of hillary clinton to cleave donald trump off from the republican party that has had its own issues with racial dog whistles for decades? >> i think it's disappointing. basically strategically. politics is a team sport. she's running on a ticket. i think of one of the e-mails fleshed out from the wikileaks, from march of 2016, so this has
5:09 pm
been a long time coming, from louis miranda, complaining that their instructions was to separate trump from the ryan wing, to say that trump was crazy and not normal, and ryan was normal. and that to connect them makes trump look normal. and miranda was complaining that they couldn't run congressional campaigns this way. when hillary clinton says that paul ryan is a social justice conservativism and all these other republicans which i guess would include trey gowdy and i guess would include louis gom ertz and the people who said she killed vince foster, right? now she's saying that trump has turned the party over to paranoia. if she's saying the rest of the party is okay, then it makes it very hard to tell a story to the american people that the problem is conserve tiativiativisconser
5:10 pm
problem is the republican party. if imagine her going to washington to govern, with paul ryan as a partner. but paul ryan sees democrats very different. >> i thought the dnc exchange rick was talking about was fascinating. because there are dual incentives. because what you want to do is, you don't have the gift of a donald trump. what you want to do is tie your candidate to donald trump, if he's rob portman or pat toomey, or if you're in a contested house seat. whereas hillary clinton does have the gift of donald trump and maybe it's easier for her just to not lift that stone. >> i do think it's a smart strategy for a presidential candidate. it does kind of sell her down-ballot candidates down the river. but the same thing's happening on the republican side in the reverse. there are a lot of people that are suggesting that the down-ballot candidates sort of leave the presidential candidate on the curb. so it's the reverse thing
5:11 pm
happening on both sides. >> thank you both. appreciate it. joining me now, ben jealous. let's talk about this. this is a story i hear all the time from conservatives. they say that people need to get off the -- black people need to get on off the democratic plantation, a term breitbart loves. and that democrat, not democratic for some weird reason, leadership in city after city has failed, and black folks in those cities are doing terribly and therefore the democratic party is responsible. what do you think about that? >> you know, look, right now, we are fighting over who is going to control the white house. and we've seen donald trump go a bridge too far, but it's not the first bridge too far. it's like the fifth bridge too far. and his party, apparently likes to hang out on the fourth bridge too far. for them to turn around and say,
5:12 pm
well, you know, the democrats have been the problem. when we have governors like logan -- by the way, i'm doing this from west baltimore. and we've seen these republican governors in states across the country, constrain what our cities can do, bankrupt their schools, bankrupt transportation and then point at the mayor and say it's the mayor's fault. that's just kind of a weak, you know -- it's just weak. that's the game the republican party plays. but we have to get back to the big issue which is donald trump way out there, just staying on this road to stupid that the republican party has been on for like 50 years. it's getting worse and worse and worse, and finally we found out that many people in his party, they're cool with the road to stupid, they're cool with three or four bridges too far, but the fifth bridge is too much. >> so you think there's nor continuity than discontinuity between donald trump and the rest of the party, in terms of
5:13 pm
how hillary clinton is choosing to play this? >> absolutely. you look at mitt romney, right, his comments about free stuff, which he did at the naacp convention when i was present. then you look at the way every republican since nixon has made the one before him look better. like reagan made nixon look better. ford did that too, by the way. george w. bush made reagan look better. you know, romney, quite frankly, was more racially hostile when he first ran than george w. bush was when he ran in 1999. so they just keep getting worse. and donald trump is just the kind of logical conclusion of this, you know, kind of stupid poem that they've been writing for 50 years. i mean, it's just -- this is where it is. >> i just want to say one thing, to distinguish two things here, because i think it's important. i don't want to say that democratic leadership in america's cities has been
5:14 pm
uniformly excellent, and in some cases it has been terrible and disastrous. there are all kinds of terrible problems with the leadership in the city of chicago that we have documented in depth on this show, or the leadership in baltimore, which we have documented. but that's wholly distinct from saying the reason that inner cities in america, poor and black areas, they're having a hard time is because of democratic leadership, when everything we know about the accrued history of white supremacy and red lining and disinvestment is the reason largely that's brought us to this moment. that if you elected a republican mayor you would be in a different situation, strikes me as counter factual. >> what the republican party did at the time of desegregation, they chose to be the white man's party. they took people from the dixiecrat base throughout the 60s, 70s, and 80s, and they
5:15 pm
played their roll. absolutely, both parties have had poor leaders who deserve a lot of blame. but the reality is, that when you hear miss packer say that white flight in detroit happened because coleman young asked white people to leave, that's kind of when i stopped listening. >> ben jealous, thank you for being here tonight. >> thank you. still to come, down-ballot republicans trying to weather the remaining days of trump's campaign. but first, donald trump often drags about having the best people. his most recent hires raise some questions about the company he keeps. that story right after this two-minute break.
5:16 pm
5:17 pm
>> we've got the best people. >> i know the best people. i know the best managers. i know the best deal makers. >> i have the most dedicated people. i have the best people. >> i have the best people. >> i know the best people. we know the best negotiators in the world. we have great people. >> we're going to use our best people and we're going to bring
5:18 pm
back our jobs! >> that's been the core of donald trump's pitch, he'll bring in the best people to renegotiate deals and turn things around. but if trump's campaign is a model for how he'd run the white house and who he'd hire, it raises a lot of questions. bannon has been under questions for his tenure with the trump campaign. he was charged in 1996 with misdemeanor domestic violence with his wife. the charges were dropped when the alleged victim didn't show up in court. the three men heading uphe campaign, two have been charged with battery against a woman. in both cases, the charges were later dropped. the other one may be under federal corruption investigation for ties to a pro-ykremlin part. today he hired bill stepien, he
5:19 pm
was chris christie's campaign manager and is now on track to take over the new jersey gop until his name appeared on compromising e-mails related to the bridgegate scandal, released also from another christie aide, time for traffic problems in ft. lee. >> i was disturbed by the tone and behavior and attitude of callous indifference, that was displayed in the e-mails by my former campaign manager, bill stepien. and reading that, it made me lose my confidence in bill's judgment. if i cannot trust someone's judgment, i cannot ask others to do so. and i would not place him at the head of my political operation because of the lack of judgment that was shown in the e-mails that were revealed yesterday.
5:20 pm
>> reports cite jared kushner, trump's son-in-law as the main force behind stepien's hire. a close adviser says he was not involved. >> i wish bill the best of luck and i wish the campaign the best of luck as they go forward. i did not consult with donald trump on this decision one way or the other. mr. trump's campaign has confidence in him, they hired him. >> then jerry delemas, not to be confused with al baldasaro who calls for clinton to be executed by firing squad. today baldasaro clarified that she should be tried for treason first, and then shot. this is jerry delemas who took part in a armed stand-off and federal officials at the bundy range two years ago. delemas just pleaded guilty to
5:21 pm
multiple felony charges and could serve up to six years in prison. charlie pierce, writer at large for esquire. the bannon stuff, you don't hire banner for a million reasons, because you get all his headlines from breitbart, but this is another good reason not to hire him. >> he's what we would call a goon, plain and simple. he's out there for his ability to start fights, not score. at the same stepien who will do what the boss tells him to do. and kellyanne conway is a getting a pass, but this is a woman who -- >> kellyanne conway? >> sorry, fitzpatrick was the name before. and you've got mike pence who
5:22 pm
blew up his entire state's economy with an anti-gay bill that would allow discrimination against gay people. and gay people is the one group of people that donald trump hasn't gone out of his way to insult, and you didn't even mention the fact that his personal physician seems to be the alien studies guys from independence day. >> i'm glad you bring up dr. harold bornstein, i have no independent knowledge about whether he's a good doctor or not and i don't want to cast aspersions on him. but when his later about donald trump's health circulated, it raised eyebrows. "if elected, mr. trump, i can state unequivocally will be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency." which seems a difficult claim to verify. today we caught up to him and he talked about the conditions
5:23 pm
under which he wrote that letter. take a look. >> is that the way that you wrote most of your letters? >> no, but for mr. trump, i wrote that letter that way. >> did he ask you to describe it to, or did you pick up his language by spending time with him? >> i think i picked up his language and interpreted it to my own. i thought about it all day and then at the end, i get rushed and i get anxious when i get rushed, so i try to get four or five lines done as fast as possible that they would be happy with. >> charlie, i should say, this is while a limo waited for him to courier the letter back to donald trump. i don't want to make of this. i'm out of words to describe the characters that have been assembled around mr. trump. >> not just that, but in keeping with what rick perl steen said earlier, this is far from the first time that high ranking
5:24 pm
republican people have been associating with the fringe of their ideology. the castle for conservative citizens, that went on for years until trent lot finally got caught at it. there was a lot of back and forth among the militia groups and various members of congress out west throughout the 1990s and the 2000s. the bundy people were very prominent on what was perceived to be mainstream conservative outlets -- >> that was, for sure, true. >> so once again, donald trump is proving to be merely modern republicanism without an interior monologue. >> thanks for your time. appreciate it. coming up, donald trump claims hillary clinton's immigration policy will take jobs away from hard-working americans, which coincidentally is something he is guilty of doing right now. i'll explain after this break. with the right steps,
5:25 pm
80% of recurrent ischemic strokes coulbe prevented and i'm doing all i can to help prevent another one. a bayer aspirin regimen is one of those steps in helping prevent another roke. be sure to talk to your doctor before you begin an aspiregimen.
5:26 pm
hillary clinton would rather provide a job to a refugee from overseas than to give that job to unemployed african american youth in cities like detroit. >> donald trump immigration logic, from building the wall to deporting 11 million people, is all about protecting american jobs. right there on his website, put american workers first. but trump hasn't always put american workers first in his own business career. in fact, he's currently at this moment, employing foreign workers at mar-a-lago and has been since 2010. >> the mar-a-lago club is a very successful club, and during the season it's very hard to get
5:27 pm
employees. >> they have more than a thousand -- >> we have a lot of people. we come with a lot of people. but it's hard to get people in palm beach during the palm beach season. what we do, we sometimes have to bring people in. >> it it's not a new idea for trump. he employed undocumented polish workers in 1980, a point raised in february by senator and then presidential candidate marco rubio. >> i think if you're going to claim that you're the only one who lifted it into the campaign, you're the only person on this stage that's ever been fined to work on your projects illegally. >> no, no, i'm the only one that's hired people. you haven't hired -- >> he hired workers from poland and had to pay a million dollars. >> that's wrong, that's wrong. >> people can look it up, i'm sure they're googling it right now. you'll see a million dollars for hiring illegal workers on one of his projects.
5:28 pm
>> it's false. >> that happened. >> so trump said that was totally wrong. now a damning new report shows donald trump absolutely knew what he was doing. and the author of that report joins me next. using 60,000 points from my chase ink card i bought all the fruit... veggies... and herbs needed to create a pop-up pick-your-own juice bar in the middle of the city, so now everyone knows... we have some of the freshest juice in town. see what the power of points can do for your business. learn more at chase.com/ink
5:29 pm
what comes to mind when you think about healthcare? see what the power of points can do for your business. understanding your options? or, if you're getting the care you need? at aarpadvantages.com, you can find helpful information abou healthcare options. leaving you more time to think about more important things. like not having to think about healthcare at all. surrou yourself with healthy advantages at aarpadvantages.com/health. if you have moderate to severe plaque psoriasis, isn't it time to let the real you shine through? introducing otezla (apremilast). otezla is not an injection or a cream. it's a pill that treats plaque psoriasis differently. with otezla, 75% clearer skin is achievable after just 4 months, with reduced redness, thickness,
5:30 pm
and scaliness of plaques. and the otezla prescribing information has no requirement for routine lab monitoring. don't take otezla if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. otezla may increase the risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or suicidal thoughts, or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. side effects may include diarrhea, nausea, upper respiratory tract infection, and headache. tell your doctor about allthe , and if you're pregnant or planning to be. ask your dermatologist abou otezla today. otezla. show morof you.
5:31 pm
>> he hired workers from poland and he had to pay a million dollars in a judgment -- >> that's wrong. >> that's a fact. people can look it up. i'm sure they're googling it right now. polish workers, you'll see a million dollars for hiring
5:32 pm
illegal workers on one of his projects. >> marco rubio tried to call donald trump on his joining me now, author of what donald trump knew about undocumented workers at his signature tower. can you just explain to us the project and who was hired. >> sure. so donald trump had been seeking to do a marquee project in manhattan. he had started in queens, and he managed, through consider effort in 1979, to secure the rights to build an enormous tower that would become his home and campaign headquarters and business headquarters, right on fifth avenue in mid town. and he was inspecting a work site next door at a property he also owned when he saw some polish workers there, and according to testimony in trial, the case files of which i reviewed, he told the foremen, those polish guys are good hard
5:33 pm
workers and the story unfolds from there. >> so then what happens next? >> he finds out who the guy's boss is, according -- who the polish worker's boss is, according to the boss's testimony. calls him into his office. the guy had never done demolition work before, but trump wanted to hire him and the polish workers to demolish the old building to make room for the tower at 56 and 5th avenue. and he instructed this boss, according to the testimony in the case that he needed to start a new company and get new insurance and they discussed price. the boss said the pols would work day and night, seven days a week, to get the building done. >> these individuals did not have proper documentation at the time, am i right? >> well, they were undocumented. that was established. no one, including donald trump ever denied that that was the case. he denied knowing many times over the years, but nobody --
5:34 pm
that's an established fact. >> so they were undocumented. he denied knowing. the court documents you reviewed suggest he knew what he was doing, in fact, that was part of why he was doing what he did. >> well, the lawyer for some dissident union members who were behind the case where trump was testifying and where all of this evidence was amassed, said in court that the reason trump oot only reason trump would have for hiring this man whose name was kazicki, was he because had this cheap polishlabor. skpngets the most amazing part, he then wants to deport them at the end of this. >> so despite hiring them at a very low wage through the subcontractor, the pols end up not being paid and trump takes over the job from the subcontractor. and they still don't get paid and they get a lawyer, and the
5:35 pm
lawyer threatens to put mechanic's liens on the property which would prevent trump from selling any part of the property. and work slows down and eventually trump hires a labor consultant who tells him to fire them, he fires the pols and then at trial the labor consultant testified that trump, not only knew that these guys were illegal, but other people at the trial also testified that trump threatened to have them deported, to call the ins, through his lawyer, and have them deported. >> massimo, great piece of reporting, thank you very much. still to amcome, we'll have look of battleground match-ups head, but first, thing 1 and thing 2 right after this break. that's why more people stick with humana medicare advantage.
5:36 pm
we work together with you to find the best plan, however your needs might change. because great things are ahead of you when your health is ready for them. humana medicare advantage. the plan people stick with. i love that my shop is part of the morning ritual around here. people rely on that first cup and i wouldn't want to mess with that. but when (my) back pain got bad, i couldn't sleep. i had trouble getting there on time. then i found aleve pm. aleve pm is the only one to combine a sleep aid plus the 12 hour strength of aleve. for pain relief that can last into the morning. ♪ look up at a new day... hey guys! now i'm back. aleve pm for a better am. what would help is simply being able to recognize a fair price. truecar has pricing data on every make and model, so all you have to do is search for the car you want, there it is. now you're an expert in less than a minute. this is truecar.
5:37 pm
amazing sleep stays with you all day and all night. sleep number beds with sleepiq technology give you the knowledge to adjust for the best sleep ever. the time is now for the biggest sale of the year, where all beds are on sale! save 50% on the labor day limited edition bed. know better sleep. only at a sleep number sto. for patien like lynn, advanced genomic testing may lead to other treatment options that can work. learn how genomic testin is changing the way we fightancer at cancercenter.com/genomics
5:38 pm
thing 1 tonight, maine's republican governor paul lepage,
5:39 pm
a man who previously said that drug dealers name d. money are coming to his state and impregnating white girls, appears to be on a mission to out-do past controversies. >> i don't ask them to come to me and sell their poison, but they come. and i will tell you that 90-plus percent of those pictures in my book, and it's a three-ring binder, are black and hispanic people from waterbury, connecticut, the bronx, and brooklyn. >> the governor's office has refused media requests to verify the trend. a day after those comments, he was asked what he would say to those who would call him racist. he asked who had called him
5:40 pm
that. governor lepage did not appreciate hearing that and decided to make a phone call. >> mr. gattine, this is governor paul richard lepage. i would like to talk to you about your comment about my being a racist, you [ bleep ]. >> it only gets worse from there and that's thing 2 in 60 seconds. you can move calls between phones, so conversations can go where you go. take your time. i'm not going anywhere. (announcer vo) and when you're not available, one talk helps find the right person who is. hi, john. (announcer vo) so wherever work takes you, you can put your customers first introducing one talk-- another way verizon connects your business better. learn how at onetalk.com. ♪
5:41 pm
(vo) making the most outf every le. that's why i got a subaru impreza. (avo) love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru. get zero percent on select subaru models during the subaru a lot to love event, now through august thirty-first. >> after maine's governor heard a lawmaker called him racist, the governor left this voice mail yesterday. >> mr. gattine, this is governor paul richard lepage. i would like to talk to you about your comments about my being a racist, you [ bleep ]. and i want to talk to you. i want you to prove that i'm a racist. i've spent my life helping black people and you little son of a bitch, socialist [ bleep ], i
5:42 pm
need you to just frigging, i want you to record this and make it public, because i'm after you. thank you. >> nice he ends with thank you. but if the voice mail wasn't bad enough, he followed up with this comment to the portland press herald. >> what a snot-nosed little guy from westbrook calls me a racist, now i'd like him to come up here, because i'll tell you, right now, i wish it was 1825 and we'd have a duel. that's how angry i am. and i wouldn't put my gun in the air, i guarantee you, i would not be hamilton. i'd point it right between his eyes. because he is a snot-nosed little runt. >> governor then broke into a rendition of a song from hamilton. i kid, of course. now representative gattine denies ever calling the governor racist in the first place. he said the racially charge the comments the governor issued are
5:43 pm
not at all helpful. as forring whiching gateen to a dual, the point was, if i could, i would, but i can't, because it's no longer legal. this afternoon, his resignation has been called for, and you will never guess who governor lepage is supporting for president. it's supercomputer. with this grade of protectn... it's a fortress. and with this standard of luxury... it's an oasis. introducing the completely redesigned e-class. it's everything you need it to be... and more. lease the e300 for $549 a month at your local mercedes-benz dealer. mercedes-benz. the best or nothing. words panera lives by. no artificial flavors, preservatives, sweeteners. no colors from artificial sources. 100% of our food will be clean by year's end. that's food as it should be.
5:44 pm
♪ pg&i help customerss, how with their bills.day? there's different rates to fit different needs, so listening is a huge part of my job. because customers want to know that you hear them. they have kids, they have families, they have priorities. i definitely understand that. i have three children, i was a stay at home mom, i didn't have money to pay the bills, and so i put myself in their shoes. and i'm going to do all that i can to lower their bills and to help their situation. to choose the rate plan that works best for your family, visit pge.com/rates. together, we're building a better california.
5:45 pm
donald trump is heading back to the battleground state of iowa tomorrow to headline senator joni ernst annual roast and ride. right now he's tied with hillary clinton in the latest iowa poll. we were there in january on the eve of the very first presidential contest of this very lengthy election cycle. there were still 15 candidates running for president. we met jay and sheryl, retired couple, registered republicans, undecided at the time, living in a suburb of des moines. we traveled to their home and got a glimpse of mailers, robocalls, and political ads
5:46 pm
galore. >> we're getting ready for commercials. here we go. first one. >> i'm donald trump and i approve this message. >> sounded like you wanted the bill to pass? >> of course i wanted the bill to pass. >> to me, he's pretty effective at hitting other folks. >> have you ever seen anyone better? coming from a sales and marketing background, donald trump is the best salesmen. >> genius marketer, right? >> and says america's broken, and they're pouring in, you get this image of rats coming through the house or something. >> he's going to build that wall and mexico is going to pay for it. >> all right. shall we do hillary here? >> i want to go to bat for them every single day. get incomes rising, get equal pay for women, cut the cost of health care and childcare.
5:47 pm
>> i'm hillary clinton and i approve this message. >> she has what it takes to get things done. she didn't tear down america, she didn't tear down bernie. she didn't tear down anybody else. >> you can sort of hear where she's going there. shortly after that piece aired. nearly seven months later, paul and rubio are long gone. they have a new choice before them. jacob met up with them to see if they have picked a candidate. >> if i would vote today for president, i would vote for hillary clinton. >> even as a republican? >> even as a republican. >> what about you, jay? >> i go back and forth. right now, i'd probably vote for hillary, but then, i would think, well, maybe i'll vote for trump. i know sheryl didn't want to hear me say that. he's not what i would like to see in a president. i mean, he's doing this thing again where he's now saying
5:48 pm
hillary clinton -- he's not saying it, but he's kinda heard that she's kinda sick and maybe she's not gonna make it, but he did that with a number of people. >> and how long have you realized that you're not going to go for trump? >> from the beginning. i mean, he was entertaining, but then he started bringing up immigration issues, hateful issues toward women, hateful issues toward minorities. he just wasn't -- he didn't know who he was. and he was saying anything hateful against every -- who hasn't he insulted, jacob? i mean, that's the question. he's going to be out on a world stage, representing our country. and he thinks nuclear is okay, and he thinks it's okay to ban the press. there's too many issues i have with him. i don't think he's got the temperament. i want to see the debates. i am looking forward to the debates. >> i sound like i'm anti-trump and i kinda am because i'm willing to vote for hillary clinton. >> yeah. >> and did you ever think you would say that, jay? >> no.
5:49 pm
no. especially she's got baggage. at least it's always in the press about her baggage. and whether it's benghazi or the e-mails, they just don't seem to go away. >> you know, the republican party is being really divided and split. and jay and i have been active for a long time, and i could cry, to be honest with you. it breaks my heart that moderates, and i would classify us both as moderates, there's really a very small voice of us left in the party. and donald trump is probably not gonna win over the moderates. i really don't think he's going to. i think it would take a huge change. he doesn't have enough time. he's not the candidate for the moderate voice in my opinion. and i do think some people might not vote the president -- might not click the box and click all the others. i'm gonna vote for who i think is competent. that's why i'm going with hillary. >> all next week, jacob will be in iowa with the latest installment of his up for grabs series, visiting swing voters in
5:50 pm
the swing state. up next, we'll look at the key states where donald trump could cost his party the senate. you both have a perfect driving record. perfect. no tickets, no accidents... that is until one of you ips a food truck ruining your perfect record. yeah. now you would think your insurance company would cut you some slack, right? no, your insurance rates go through the roof. your perfect record doesn't get you anything. anything. perfect. for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. liberty stands with you. lirty mutualnsurance.
5:51 pm
they automatically shrk an itemthe pricesjet carts, of millions of other products. very impressive. whew... it's got a little kick to it. at jet.com, we're always looking for money saving innovations.
5:52 pm
5:53 pm
>> big question for the republicans going to the fall is how much donald trump's travesty or absence of a campaign would drag down other gop candidate. 34 seats up for grabs, 24 held by republicans. which means the extent of the trump effect could control which party controls the chamber in the next session. a few are trailing by smaller
5:54 pm
margins than trump. one is pat toomey, a senator from vermont, a relative moderate, according to his branding. toomey just won an endorsement from gabrielle giffords' gun safety group. donald trump trails hillary clinton by nine points. toomey is behind his opponent by about two points. let's starts with this pennsylvania race, i think it's a very interesting race. there was a lot of hope about trump in pennsylvania. a lot of talk about how he's going to goose the white vote in pennsylvania. so far he's almost double-digits behind. toomey is out-performing and still behind. he's in exactly that kind of thrilous place where you realize rock that these candidates are pushing uphill. >> exactly. what's fascinating about this race, as hillary clinton as risen, so has mcginty. so clearly hillary clinton's popularity in the state of pennsylvania is impacting
5:55 pm
mcginty. if you look at this race, they are hammering her very hard on her energy policy, she's unapologetically behind clean energy in a state where people say that might be a risky position to take. but they are hammering her, the chamber of commerce are targeting her, koch brothers groups are targeting her. and she's still leading in that state. >> and toomey has used this one bit of heresy on guns, right? where he and manchin were going to do the bill after newtown on background checks to build an image as a moderate, despite the fact that his economic policies, he's extremely far to the right. he was a club for growth guy, that's the world he comes from. >> yes. and on top of that, he has the support from all of those groups, so he has the money, which is important in this type of race. but in addition to that, he hasn't really pushed back that hard against trump.
5:56 pm
>> that's a good point. >> kind of like wafld. >> that's right. >> trying to play both sides. >> he's not taken the mark kirk approach. john, i want to talk to you about the races in your neck of the woods. illinois and wisconsin, which i think are seen as the to most likely democratic pickups, martially because of the margins, partly because of the candidates. mark kirk in illinois has probably taken the most anti-trump stance of an endangered senate candidate. he's still down seven points. ron johnson hasn't pulled the full kirk and he's also struggling. what has his approach been? >> ron johnson's approach has been genuinely bizarre. very early on when almost the entire republican establishment was wisconsin was never trump. remember that trump lost the wisconsin primary to ted cruz, ron johnson was running around talking about how much fun it might be to campaign with donald trump and even saying they might
5:57 pm
go out as the ronald and the donald. and every since then, he's sort of been fits and starts. he says that he's not really making a big endorsement of dold trump, but he does support him. the messages have been very mixed and oddly enough, it's almost exactly the wrong approach for wisconsin, i think. and i think that's why he's down quite a bit in the polls. because you do have in the wisconsin republican party, a very strong never trump party. if johnson had hooked in with that, he might well have been able to get, you know, most of the trump vote as well as some of this. but he hasn't done that. >> and he also has the, you know, the disadvantage of running against russ feingold, who was a two-term senator there, who was very popular. in some ways, that 2010 election, was caught up in a wave bigger than he was, in terms of what the electorate looked like. now he gets to run in a presidential and you have a
5:58 pm
whole different electorate that will likely be at the polls. >> i can't emphasize how true that is, chris. in wisconsin, the drop-off in democratic vote in an off year is very striking. it just falls in the off-year elections. it's similar in illinois. though illinois is a somewhat more democratic state than wisconsin, the fact of the matter is, in these off-year elections, the republicans can get their operation together. in a presidential, they struggle. >> funny thing about the cycle. so all of these people on the six-year cycle were in the same position. they had the 2010 electorate, the tea party, much whiter electorate, much older electorate. now because of the way the timing works out, they got to run in a presidential. and you have rob portman, who actually is probably performing the best of anyone i would say right now, in terms of putting space between himself and over-performing where trump is.
5:59 pm
he's up 6.4. and here's the thing i find fascinating about portman. a u.s. trade representative, a free trade dude, who is now trying to reinvent his trade policy in the era of trump. >> you raised a great point. but ted strickland's campaign has not pointed that out in a meaningful way with ads. ted strickland is getting hammered, getting blamed for everything that happened as a result of the recession -- >> when he was governor. >> when he was governor of the state of ohio. he's absorbing all of that and there has not been significant pushback from his campaign, to a, define port man for who he is, and also part of that is that people, the polling shows -- a lot of people in ohio actually don't know who portman is. >> right. >> they actually don't know him. >> just keeping his head down. >> and he's been leveraging that and taking advantage of it. he's laying low. >> sort of fascinating how effective that has been thus far. see how long it will last. thank you both for your time tonight. have a great weekend. that is "all in" for this
6:00 pm
evening, the rachel maddow show starts right now. >> thanks, my friend. have a great weekend. >> you too. >> thanks to you at home for staying with us this next hour. august fridays are supposed to be dull. it's supposed to be the sort of thing where you can leave a little early from work and nobody notices because there's nothing really going on. this is an august friday that has not been dull. we have changed the list of things that are supposed to be on our show tonight about 17 times over the course of today, because new news kept breaking, that kept displacing other smaller stories. it's been a weird, intense, and surprising day. in the presidential campaign, we woke up to news that the ceo of the trump campaign, from breitbart news, we woke up to news today that trump campaign chief steve bannon has an arrest record for domestic violence charges. it is not clear whether donald trump himself knew

122 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on