Skip to main content

tv   All In With Chris Hayes  MSNBC  October 11, 2016 12:00am-1:01am PDT

12:00 am
eco-friend product in your new tideurccupboardthe first that won't wait to be discovered. some may claim some labels are een but only one has thepowern new tide purclean, % bio-based, 100% cleaning power of tide tonight on "all in" -- gop panic. new polling shows donald trump in free fall following the "access hollywood tape". >> if they want to release more tapes, we'll continue to talk about bill and hillary clinton doing inappropriate things. >> as down ballot republicans try to stop the bleeding, did trump do anything last night to help his standing with women? >> donald trump last night showed that he's a big man. >> then, words versus actions. >> i have tremendous respect for women. >> have you ever done those things? >> and women have respect for me. >> i will tell you, no, i have not.
12:01 am
>> he pushed me up against the wall, had his hands all over me and tried to get up my dress again. >> her lawyer joins me tonight. i've never seen anything like that before. >> who demonstrates a command of issues and policy and who did not? >> russia is new in terms of nuclear. we are old, we are tired, we are exhausted in terms of nuclear. >> and "all in" starts right now. good evening from new york. i'm chris hayes. at this moment, both donald trump and hillary clinton are holding events, the first after last night's debate. now, donald trump's job last night was to attempt to wipe away the effects of the shocking video which he brags that he can sexually assault women because he's famous in the process keep his party from abandoning him and reverse his slide in the polls. trump by all accounts failed in that mission and today we learned that things are even
12:02 am
worse for him than they seemed. a new poll taken this weekend after the trump tape dropped but before the debate shows trump trailing hillary clinton by 11 points among likely voters in a four-way race with trump getting just 35% of the vote. clinton nearly doubled her lead over trump compared to the same poll last month and her big lead is even bigger. with clinton leading trump by a whopping 14 points in a two-way race. this is just one poll and it was taken during a very tumultuous period during the race. numbers like that pretend not just a mass tif sif trump lost but a disaster for the republican party in the efforts to hold the senate and even maintain the house. this morning, mike pence with all of the sincerity of a member touting the party's vision tried to cast it as a turning point with trump putting friday's tape behind him. >> last night, my running mate, he showed the american people his heart.
12:03 am
he showed hume milt to the american people and then he fought back and turn the fus to the choice that we face and i'm proud to stand with donald trump! >> but those who aren't on the ticket are coming to a very different conclusion. after more than 25 prominent republicans called on trump to drop out over the weekend and at least 20 more said they weren't voting for trump today, the most powerful republican in the country, house speaker paul ryan, says he will not defend trump or campaign with him going forward and instruct the members to, quote, do what's best for you and your district. ryan is not, to be clear, rescinding his endorsement. as clinton noted today, ryan is still endorsing donald trump while effectively conceding that he's not a person he wants to stand next to and also that trump cannot win. a stance that satisfies precisely no one. on a conference call this morning, ryan faced angry blow back from conservative lawmakers
12:04 am
support tif of trump one saying that ryan and the gop leadership were acting cowardly. pro-trump protesters gathering outside of the rnc to demand the party stand behind trump, prompting trump's campaign to fire corey stewart for organizing that protest. trump himself sending a high inside in the direction of ryan's chin tweeting, "paul ryan should spend more time on ball balance the budget and not fighting the republican nominee." and the debate was watched by more than 66 million people. trump gave them red meat on issues like benghazi, dismissing his sexual assault boasts as locker room talk, belittling hillary clinton and if elected promising to throw her in jail. trump went so far today to say that he turned the story about his mistreatment of women back on clinton and threaten that he would keep pushing that line.
12:05 am
>> i was getting beaten up for 72 hours on all the networks for inappropriate words 12 years ago, locker room talk, whatever you want to call it, but i said to myself, wait a minute, and i just saw a very inappropriate words but bill clinton sexually assaulted innocent women and hillary clinton attacked those women viciously. one of them said more viciously than he attacked them. if they want to release more tapes saying inappropriate things, we'll continue to talk about bill and hillary clinton doing inappropriate things. there are so many of them, folks. >> we should be very clear that those allegations against the former president are not substantiated and denied strongly by the former president and the allegations about hillary clinton's mistreatment are also denied. while this plays for the sort of people that show up the trump's rally, it's not clear what wins over undecided voters, including
12:06 am
women voters. all of this leaves republican politicians with two unappealing options. either stand with trump and defend the indefensible. joining me now political analyst michael steele, former chair of the rnc. there's new reporting sort of what is going on behind the scenes at the rnc. i should note, former rnc chairman beginning to take on legendary stature the more this goes on in terms of your resume. what is the state of the republican party institutionally at this moment? >> it is back up against the wall, it's caught between its base, its nominee and its political leadership on the hill and that is not a safe place to occupy in because you have an election in 30 days, a base that's becoming more and more disgruntled, those who are supporting trump, those who are
12:07 am
ticked off at him. you've got leadership on the hill and around the country, governors and members of congress and state legislators who are backing away and you have a defiant nominee. so in answer to your question, it's all upside down crazy right now and there's not a whole lot the institution can do about it. thiss going to play itself out, chris, in large measure because donald trump holds the cards. and as long as he holds the cards, and he has and no one can take them away from him, it's going to play itself out the way it is. >> what do you hear about that in terms of he is not dependent upon the republican party in any way? >> that's right. >> there are no incentives or correctives for a lifelong politician or at least lifelong republican professional who wants to continue to be in the party, he doesn't care. >> doesn't care. and what threat do you holdover his head? you're going to take the nomination away from him? no, you're not, because the rules only allow that to happen if he dies or resigns.
12:08 am
is your running mate, you're going to convince your running mate -- his running mate to step down? no. mike pence has a political future and he's kind of stuck where he is. there's not a whole lot that the party can do at this point except to cajole, plead and hope that donald trump sort of dials down the noise around hillary clinton and all of that scandal and focus on the issues that are winnable issues with the american people. see, that's the other side of this coin, chris, that is so frustrating for a lot of folks out there. there are legitimate policy issues that you could take to hillary clinton and win this election on. but that's not how this is playing itself out right now. >> you know what, the most interesting thing to me about that is that the issues where he seems to have the most resonance are themselves also deeply and substan tifly drk the border
12:09 am
wall tough on immigration anti-trade deal package is a powerful message. >> right. >> that was not the republican party message. >> right. >> nor is aligned with assad and russia on syria's message. >> right. but some of that -- part of that message that donald trump has created has opened up a new space for the republican party to have a conversation with a lot of americans that otherwise would have been shut off from, particularly on issues like trade. >> yeah. >> so the problem is adaptability. the party has yet to adapt to this new environment. >> it just feels like it doesn't know what it is. >> they know what the hell it is. this isn't new. this has been brewing since reagan took office. these changes socially, economically, politically in areas of foreign affairs, this has all been changing underneath our feet for a long time. we have just not bothered to look and see what it is and how we step into that space in a new
12:10 am
way. that's all. >> the problem is this is the guy doing the stepping right now. >> yeah. that's essentially right. >> michael steele, thanks for your time. appreciate it. >> all right, buddy. it's no understatement to say mostmerican women don't think highly of donald trump because he doesn't think highly of them. in a survey of likely voters taken after trump's comments made public friday, 53% of women say trump does not respect women at all and 15% say he does not respect them much. that's two in three women who say he doesn't respect them or not at all. he seemed to have an air of menace, looming over clinton as she spoke, pacing in the background and threatening if elected to put her in her place. >> it's just awfully good that someone with the temperament of donald trump is not in charge of the law in our country. >> because you'd be in jail. >> secretary clinton -- [cheers and applause ] >> joining me now, rebecca traister, writer at new york magazine.
12:11 am
on your second night in cleveland when chris christie was prosecuting her -- >> the witch trial. >> the crowd was chanting lock her up, guilty. that moment is that taken to the nth degree because he's promising to put his political opponent in jail. >> to elect a special prosecutor to prosecute her, which is not legal. also, again, it's part of a pattern of criminalizing the person that you want to vilify, dehumanize. his behavior was horrible to watch and discomforting for a lot of people. >> let me play devil's advocate for a moment. he was moving around the stage. it's a debate. they are going at each other. what did you find horrifying? >> the way he was following her around, the way he was pacing. his reactions.
12:12 am
the tone of voice in the clip you just played, it wasn't -- in the previous debate, he interrupted her, wrong, wrong, wrong in that donald trump voice. last night he was growling. he was very animalistic. he was pawing the ground. you could see that hate. one of the things that was interesting, the line that he used last night, you know, her hurt is so full -- i can't remember how he said it. a heart full of hate, or whatever. and one of the things that donald trump's ghost writer has pointed out about him, practically every single thing he says about another person is a projection about a quality of himself. and you could feel that hate for her just emanating from him last night. it was a very menacing scene. >> it also felt like, if you were writing some historical drama, you have this great line, indiana jones quality to it, of course it's snakes. of course it's donald trump. the man who used to run beauty pageants, of course that's the
12:13 am
person hillary clinton is going to have to defeat and then you have the preamble last night on top of that. >> first of all, to have the tape in which he's openly literalizing women and talking about them sexually and women who breast feed or pee as disgusting. >> things for his use for the use of men with power. and then we have this little ralized phrase about he can just kiss them, grab them by the genitals. and then the additional thing is that he brings in, in this stunt, this aggressive stunt, women who have accused this candidate's husband of sexual misdeeds or assault in the past and he brings them in and has a press conference and then brings them in the room and, you know, the dynamics there of taking
12:14 am
this person, whatever you think about her, she is in this historic role as the first woman to get this close to the american presidency and she's having to wrestle this troll, right? she's working through the muck of misogyny. now, let me say something. there is a reasonable feminist conversation to have about bill clinton, his sexual power abuses. right? donald trump doesn't care about that feminist conversation. that's not what donald trump was talking about last night. he wanted to humiliate her in the way he knows how to humiliate women, which is sexually, to shame them, make them feel bad about themselves sexually, to remind her that her husband cheated on her, that she didn't hold the sexual attention of her husband. that's what he was doing last night. he wasn't making a feminist argument about bill clinton which has nothing to do with whether hillary clinton should
12:15 am
be president anyway. >> and somehow i felt implicated in that. across the ideological spectrum, everyone came out of the debate like, ooh. i think it was because of the stunt that preceded it and that first ten minutes. it felt so wrong and -- that we were part of some shaming ritual, that we were watching it as a viewer, seeing -- we somehow were why this was happening. >> right. because it entertains us. >> like, oh, snap. he -- right. >> this is the end of fixation on this kind of entertainment, on this guy, that we are how this guy got to be the nominee for president and this is where it ends and, in fact, the sort of sense that, again, how this historic candidate had three debates for president, the first woman to be in general election presidential debates and this
12:16 am
was one of her three debates and she had to go in there with that man standing over her shoulder and have the women in the room. it was -- it was so degrading. it was degrading to watch. i'm sure it was degrading to participate in. you could tell she was rattled. i mean, obviously her strategy was to stay calm, speak in a controlled voice. here he is saying she has hate in her heart, she should be jailed. she doesn't respond to any of it. she was working very hard to stay under control. it was terrible to watch. >> yes, it was, rebecca traister, thank you for your time. appreciate it. still to come, donald trump may have done better last night than the first debate but what did he actually say? a closer look at what we heard from the nominee and trump defends his comments about women as, quote, locker room talk. i'll talk to a lawyer who alleges that it's more than that.
12:17 am
12:18 am
you described kissing women
12:19 am
without consent grabbing their genitals. you've bragged that you have sexually assaulted women. >> i don't think you understood what i said. this was locker room talk. i'm not proud of it. i apologized to my family. i a apologized to the american people. certainly i am not proud of it but this is locker room talk. >> donald trump us a tense blee apologized and continues to dismiss this as locker room talk, some new version of the classic excuse that boys will be boys. last night he tried to distinguish between his own words and the actions of bill clinton. trump was notably reluctant to answer. >> just for the record, though, are you saying that what you said on that bus 11 years ago that you did not actually kiss women without consent or grope women without consent? >> i have great respect for women. no one has more respect for women than i do.
12:20 am
you hear these things, they are said. i was embarrassed by it but i have tremendous respect for women. >> have you ever done those things? >> and i will tell you, no, i have not. >> the weekly standard asked senator jeff sessions if he would characterize the behavior in the tape as sexual assault. >> "i don't characterize that as sexual assault. i don't know what that meant." i don't know, it's not clear that he -- how that would occur. same question to sean spicer who responded, "i don't know. i'm not a lawyer." i'm sure you'd have the same response about e-mails. and trump aide steven miller, "it was bawdy locker room talk." a woman sued trump in 1997 and dropped the suit after a contract dispute with trump. she described what happened on
12:21 am
the 1993 visit. >> it started out as a group tour but at a very soon opportunity, he gave me a private tour and that's when he pulled me aside in the children's room and made another sexually aggressive advance on me where he tried to make his move. he pushed me up against the wall and had his hands all over me and tried to get up my dress again. and i had to physically say, what are you doing? stop. it was a shocking thing to have him do this. >> donald trump has denied that allegation. i'm joined by lisa bloom, a legal contributor for the "today" show. your response to trump's response last night, particularly telling the moderator that he has never done anything like that. >> well, it's honestly really
12:22 am
sickening to me as a woman, as jill's attorney, i have spent hours talking to her about the pain that she says donald trump caused her. and i think what was missing in his very robotic apology that obviously kellyanne conway wrote for him, is any sense of the damage that this damage has caused. i have to say locker room talk and i have to say i apologize. let's move on and talk about isis. a genuine apology by a person who has a conscience would take into account the women he's harmed, women like jill who has maintained since 1997, when she filed a lawsuit against him, that he groped her, that he sexually assaulted her and it is sexual assault, take it from me, the lawyer, if you grab a woman by her genitals or her breasts. that is very clearly a sexual assault. >> jeff sessions was once nominated to be a federal judge. he is a lawyer, unlike sean spicer. it was striking to me -- i looked at alabama criminal code. it's clearly there. >> uh-huh.
12:23 am
>> is it surprising to you to hear a senator who is a self-lawyer, a judge almost at one point in his career? >> this is like not commenting on climate change because they are not scientists. please. we all know that trump was bragging about sexual assault on that tape. there's just no other way around it and i'm so glad anderson cooper said that in the debate. it took three times before trump even denied doing it. you would think if somebody hadn't really done this behavior, the first thing he would say is i absolutely did not. i never did it. instead of talking about isis. but, you know, by the way, jill harth is not the only one. there are others. ivana trump claims that he raped her during the marriage. she later sort of took that back and a lawsuit by a woman when she was 13 says she was raped by donald trump. >> those are strongly denied by the trump clan.
12:24 am
>> there may be more. >> i want to show you this line, too. this is rudy giuliani as a surrogate but we take this all very seriously but maybe not that seriously. >> boy, that is a phony -- i can't say the word because i have to be nice. i might say it back in the locker room. >> you get the sense from that joke that this is all kind of actually if you give them truth serum, this is political correctness run amok. >> one of the things i like is a lot of professional athletes on twitter saying i've spent a lot of time in locker rooms and actually this is not how we talk. this is clearly the talking point for trump and his surrogates, it's locker room talk. i would like to point out, they were not in a locker room. in fact, they were in a workplace, a television set where there was a bunch of people around, they may have all
12:25 am
been guys but i've represented a lot of men in sexual harassment cases and i can tell you a lot of men find this offensive as well. they are talking about a women, the actress when they get out of the bus and she's there getting paid to smile and be nice. she then has to hug donald trump after he's just talked about what he likes to do to women, stick his tongue down their throat, grope their genitals. this is a workplace. it's not a locker room. >> that's a good point. this is a professional workplace and there are lots of laws guiding how one acts in those environments. lisa bloom, thank you very much. appreciate it. the story behind trump's campaign bringing three women to the debate hall last night. how that scene unfolded, ahead.
12:26 am
12:27 am
the taxes are a very simple thing. first of all, i pay hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes. many of her friends took bigger deductions. warren buffett took a massive deduction. soros, a friend of hers, took massive deduction. many of these people took massive deductions. >> that was trump explaining why he won't release his taxes and then he hasn't paid federal taxes in years but he's happy to roll out everybody does it defense. today, warren buffett responded in a statement. in 2015, his adjusted gross income was more than $11 million, deductions totalled $5 million and allowable charitable contributions were 3.5 million. his total charitable
12:28 am
contributions were $2.85 billion. think about that for a moment. buffett gave close to $3 billion in charitable contributions even though he could only deduct a tiny sliver of that because of the appropriate legal deductions on charitable donations. his federal income tax was $1.8 million. i have been audited by the irs multiple times. i am currently being audited. i have no problem in releasing my tax information while being audited. warren buffett basically saying, i'll show you mine, you show me yours. demystifying trump's debate performance, next.
12:29 am
12:30 am
12:31 am
12:32 am
general consensus after last night's debate seems to be that donald trump performed better than he did in the first face-off with hillary clinton. but even that somewhat charitable assessment is still creating trump on a curve. and trump's distinctive verbal patter can obscure the plain truth. when he delves into policy, he's very often talking nonsense. so i'm going to read from the transcript of a portion of what he said in last night's debate about obamacare. ready? "we have to get rid of the lines around the state. artificial lines. where we stop insurance companies from coming in and competing because they want and president obama whoever was working on it they want to leave
12:33 am
those companies monopolies." he was talking about lines when he was ridiculed by marco rubio. >> what is your plan? i understand the lines around the state, whatever that means. this is not a game where you draw maps -- >> you don't know. that's the problem. >> what is your plan on health care? >> the biggest problem he's got is he really doesn't know about the lines. the biggest thing we've got and the reason we have no competition is because we have lines around the state and you have -- >> we already mentioned that that's not part of my plan. i know what that is. your only thing is to get rid of the lines around the state. >> the lines around the states mean -- >> trump's thin grasp on policy is not limited to domestic issues. here's a portion of what he said about russia and its nuclear arsenal. "she talks tough against russia but our nuclear program has fallen way behind and they have gone wild with their nuclear program. not good. our government shouldn't have allowed that to happen.
12:34 am
russia is new in terms of nuclear. we are old. we're tired. we're exhausted in terms of nuclear." joining me is bob garfield. we've discussed this before and part of the issue is when you're sort of evaluating this, you know, it's just not really apples to apples in terms of -- i mean, you could think hillary clinton's ideas are bad or what she's proposing policywise are bad but the distance in command is just so vast, it's hard to even know how to evaluate it. >> well, i just have to disagree, chris. the man is a master. but you simply don't understand -- some have accused him of talking in circle. that is just not correct. he talks in the new york subway map and eventually if you follow it enough, you get to a destination. it may not be your destination but you will arrive somewhere. >> do you think -- do you think that there is coherent --
12:35 am
there's a real debate about whether he's actually proposing anything often when he gets into these issues and there are moments where it sounds like he is and moments where it sounds like he's not but in some ways it's this distinctive ambiguity that is part of the whole -- when you listen to that, you're not actually sure what the heck he's saying. >> i'm pretty sure that somewhere in that head resides some ideas or germs of ideas but they are clearly not well explored and he clearly doesn't have a very great grip on whatever it is that he thinks he's thinking. and he absolutely does not have the ability to communicate it. i mean, the guy -- i don't think his biggest strategic asset is his hotel licenses or golf courses. it's his stock of parenthesis. he has more parenthesis that you could shake a stick at. >> these two candidates are operating in parallel universes.
12:36 am
martha raddatz was ill lus straight tif. there was a lack of push back. here's martha raddatz on aleppo. take a listen. >> what do you think will happen if aleppo falls? >> i think aleppo is a disaster. >> what do you think will happen if aleppo falls? >> basically, it has fallen. it's fallen. >> she follows up and says it hasn't fallen. what do you think will happen if it falls. >> i guess. i'm sure that those in his base -- these debates are tests and rudy giuani and probably 30 million people think he probably wiped up the floor with secretary clinton. but, you know, martha raddatz did what i've been begging for journalists and debate moderators to do now for a year, more than a year.
12:37 am
18 months. to ask follow-up questions, to challenge lies, to challenge misstatements of fact and -- and to get to the heart of why this guy is not just someone running for public office but a historic menace. and, you know, i'm a democrat and i'm not the biggest hillary clinton supporter in the world but i will say that donald trump represents -- well, i think he is -- i think he's a loathe some piece of shiftlessness. it hurts my heart that he was even on that stage with her and -- >> but isn't that just -- look, i want to get on the other side of this, right? because you're already seeing folks in the trump campaign say, yes, the bob garfields of the world, nbc, cbs, they all hate this guy, they are all biased and all this thing they are calling fact checking and calling out is really them just
12:38 am
smuggling in -- >> of course they are going to say that. you have to have a courage as a jourlist to be a journalist and not worry that some audiences are going to dismiss what you say out of hand before you even say it. and i think the press finally about five or six months ago actually did begin to change its approach in dealing with trump and that includes "the new york times" which has called him a liar on page one, especially "the washington post," especially "the l.a. times" and it's even beginning to find its way onto cable so-called news. >> thank you, bob. >> never a cheap shot too cheap to take with you, chris. i think actually the press has finally stopped sitting on its hands and is willing to call the thing by its name. >> perhaps not a moment too soon or too late. bob garfield, appreciate it. behind the scenes of trump's debate stunt. but first, thing 1 and thing 2 right after this break.
12:39 am
12:40 am
12:41 am
12:42 am
thing 1 tonight, trump's best moment last night, according to a whole host of commentators, came after hillary clinton was asked about a line in one of her paid speeches which was revealed in the hacked e-mails published by wikileaks last week. the question was a portion of a speech she gave in 2013 in which she argued that politicians need both a private and public policy position in order to get things done. >> as i recall, that was something i said about abraham lincoln after having seen the wonderful movie called "lincoln." it was a master class watching president lincoln getting the congress to approve the 13th amendment. it was principled and it was strategic. >> she lied. now she's blaming the lie on the late great abraham lincoln.
12:43 am
honest abe never lied. that's the difference between abraham lincoln and you. point trump. all know, abe lied a lot. rudy giuliani appearing on this network to say in no uncertain terms that hillary clinton was lying. >> she was completely lying about that. >> president lincoln? >> yes. and he nailed her with it. >> how did he nail her with it? >> basically by saying not abraham lincoln. >> he was saying that abraham lincoln? >> she blamed it on abraham lincoln. i read the transcript. what she said was, i have to say to you, the bankers, stuff that you like to hear because of your money and then i have to stay stuff out here because bernie sanders is coming after me. that's called lying. >> one clue here is that it's
12:44 am
2013. do you think she talked about bernie sanders in 2013? one of these people is definitely lying. who could it be? that's thing 2 in 60 seconds.
12:45 am
hillary clinton was asked about that 2013 speech in which she talked about having both public and private positions. she said she was invoking steven spielberg's film "lincoln." trump said she was crazy and rudy giuliani said it was a lie. >> she blamed it on abraham lincoln. i read the transcript. what she said was, i have to say to you the bankers, stuff that you'd like to hear because i want your money but then i've got to say other stuff out there because bernie sanders is coming after me. that's what she said. you know what that's called? it's called lying. >> we took a look at the transcript to see if it matched giuliani's version. why would she mention bernie sanders? it turns out, she doesn't. getting back to that word
12:46 am
balance and that's not just a comment about today. that i think has been probably true for all of her history and if you saw the spielberg movie "lincoln" and how he was maneuvering and working to get the 13th amendment passed. there you go. rudy giuliani must have been, what's the word, mistaken.
12:47 am
12:48 am
he really took the high ground where he had the opportunity to go very, very low and i'm proud of him for doing that. i'm really proud of him for doing that and i think a lot of people recognized that. a lot of people came up to me, including many in the media and he could have crushed her on that last question. he probably would have hurt her family if he did. i think that took courage in so many records and i think he really answered that well and took the high ground and kept the high road. >> but courage and restraint
12:49 am
there, trump was so proud of after the first debate was basically lit on fire and tossed out the window 90 minutes before the second presidential debate when he went on facebook live with three women who have accused him of sexual misconduct and of rape. that wasn't the original plan. as "the washington post" reports, he wanted to give them elevated seats in the v.i.p. box and have the women walk into the debate hall at the same time as the 42nd president and confront him in front of the television audience. according to former new york city mayor rudy giuliani, we had it all set, he wanted to have them shake hands with bill to see if bill would shake hands with them. when one of the debate's co-commissioners heard about the
12:50 am
plan, he put a stop to it and warned a trump staffer that if the campaign tried to put them in the family box, security personnel would remove them. bill clinton has long denied the allegations of the three women present at last night's debate, juanita broaddrick and paula jones. kathy shelton was 12 years old when she accused the 41-year-old of raping her. the women were outraged. they were in the holding room and ready to go. but i knew the minute we got push back, that we had gotten into their heads. hillary clinton was rattled. they were rattled. i do wonder what eric trump thinks about his dad's courage to take the high road now. the first rule of being a viking.
12:51 am
12:52 am
12:53 am
is that teamwork is important. remember to do the little things. help each other out. and the second rule of being a viking.
12:54 am
there's more tn one way to win. vikings: war of clans play free now. any of you see that debate last night? i'll tell you what, i'm not sure you'll ever see anything like that again. at least i hope you won't. >> it was a debate like we have never seen and joining me now to try to make sense of it all, msnbc contributor sam and nick, political reporter for "the new york times." what did we see last night? 24 hours later, i'm still trying to get my head around what we saw. >> yeah, it was -- i think to a certain extent we saw the bar just being -- >> yeah. >> i don't even know if it's lowered any more. it's just gone. there's nothing that can't be normalized now in this context,
12:55 am
right? i mean, what -- just think back about the things that sunk other candidates in the past, like mccaca for george allen. >> a super obscure slur that people had to google. >> someone named john on twitter said, boy, al gore saying lock box a lot. sure seems -- >> and sighing too much. >> i think one problem here is it's mostly trump. it's also that i think our expectations for politics have fallen so low and our belief that there is any kind of decorum that should be observed has been abandoned for so long that there is a door opening here but really it's trump driving it. he is a wounded bear. he has given up the idea -- he's out there to humiliate hillary clinton as much as he can before he loses. i can't explain his strategy any
12:56 am
other way. >> i want to add that there's a certain amount of enablement that is necessary for him to have gotten this far with it. the fact is, i don't think he's behaving in a way that is a reaction to the situation here. i think, on the contrary, this is just part of the way that he's been behaving since day one. >> yes. >> and i think at different times people have been brought on to his campaign to hold him back. i'm not sure he would have gotten here anyway. the point is that the idea that paul ryan has not rescinded his endorsement is so ludicrous that he bears responsibility for this, too, because donald trump could say these things in the debate but if everybody in the republican party walked away from him, the message would get out that the bar is still there. >> it looked like an avalanche that was starting to happen on friday which was sort of fascinating because you thought to yourself, wow, they are going
12:57 am
to jump off the train with, you know, five minutes before it actually -- >> the rule left in politics is you can't unendorse your nominee no matter how catastrophic he is. i will say, when there are people who are bringing their kids to trump rallies and wearing clothes with profanities that i would never say to my own children, something is going on more broadly than trump. it's the world which he's created in which this is okay. >> i want to play a clip. we all had the same reaction then. again, across the political spectrum. this is him and ted cruz in one of those nastier exchanges. take a look. >> but let me point out -- >> that is not what you said in the op-ed. >> donald, i know it's hard not to interrupt. breathe. >> lyin ted. >> when they are done with the
12:58 am
yoga, can i answer a question? >> everyone is like, boy, this got childish. but what we're learning as we watch this, this special ability of this particular person persona. i don't know if this is who he is. the persona he projects here to bring everyone around into this same kind of level in a weird way. >> well, yeah, but again, it's the same situation because of those 16 people on the stage at that point, none of them were coming out. it took them so long to come out and distance themselves and the point is that he was enabled all the way through ee the fact is that you can go back to max cleveland for osama bin laden. that was not out of bounds. there's a progression here where trump was an obvious fit for a suit that they had made and tailor ed and he didn't have the
12:59 am
same restrictions on him in future and politics. >> there's a problem with checks and balances. i think that there are parts of the gop that has spent years degrading the institutions and presumptions that could have bound him at the ability of donors to control the process, party leaders. the whole idea of a party that exerted some control beyond the candidates, all of those things, expertise, right, all of those things that have been degraded. >> or the mainstream media. there was a tweet by one of the never trumpers i follow on twitter that said, keep in mind "the new york times" and washington post told you the truth about donald trump and fox news and breitbart lied to you about trump. keep that in mind. in some ways, that has also been the story. this kind of media cocooning has been perpetuated. it's like everything is hunky dory. thanks for being here tonight. that is "all in" for this evening. rachel maddow starts right now.
1:00 am
>> thanks, my friend. thanks to you at home for joining us. at this hour, there are some things that are awkward right now about being a true blue died in the wall donald trump supporter and they definitely are. they are all over the country and in all 50 states. you probably know some of them. if you weren't one yourself. you are definitely related to one of them at least by marriage. so em fa thiz -- or sympathize even if you can't empathize. say you are a donald trump supporter for real, say you live in virginia. you're a woman who supports donald trump and for whatever reason, your politics or your own, you really like donald trump. you fervently like donald trump and you want him to be president. and you are a little bit worried and, frankly, a little bit annoyed with your own political party because you have heard over the last few days that the

38 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on