Skip to main content

tv   Hardball With Chris Matthews  MSNBC  October 11, 2016 4:00pm-5:01pm PDT

4:00 pm
latest 2016 campaign coverage, including tyler kendall's latest piece about where people can still register to vote this late in the time season. we'll see you tomorrow, same bad time, same bad channel. until then, sayonara. >> "hardball" with chris matthews is next. the party's is over. let's play "hardball." good evening, i'm chris matthews in washington. the republican presidential nominee has declared war on the republican party. that's tonight's headline. donald trump went on a rampage today against the leaders of the gop, especially paul ryan, who yesterday said he would hencefort refuse to either defend trump or even allow himself to be seen with him. trump didn't like it one bit, quote, despite winning the second debate in a landslide, it is hard to do well when paul ryan and others give zero
4:01 pm
support. that's trump. he added, "our very weak and ineffective leader, paul ryan, had a bad conference call where his members went wild at his disloyalty." well, trump also went after the republican party itself. "with the exception of cheat can go bernie out offing the nomination," he tweeted, "the democrats have always proved to be far more loyal to each other than the republicans." and, "this year, republicans far more difficult than crooked hillary," he said. "they come at you from all sides, they don't know how to win, i will teach them." that's trump. "it's so nice that the shackles have been taken off me today," he said, "and i can now fight for america the way i want." in other words, the next four weeks could be the wildest close to a presidential race in modern times. hallie jackson joins us from panama city, florida, where trump will speak later tonight. hallie, with i want you to listen to this. this is trump, donald trump himself, the real guy, back in
4:02 pm
1998. and when you listen to this, think to yourself, didn't he know his past would trail him. watch this. >> did you ever have a flicker when you were taking a shower or walking to work or waking up in the morning and you said, donald trump, you've won every battle you've ever fought, why didn't you run for governor or president? >> people want me to all the time. >> what about you? >> i don't like it. >> why? >> can you imagine how controversial i would be. him with the women, can you imagine me with the women? >> can you imagine? he knew! he kne his rep! he knew his past! what he'd done, what he'd bragged about. yet he put his head into the oven of this presidential campaign, knowing that in the end he would be followed by that, stalked by his own reality of the past. >> reporter: yeah. >> what do you think? you know the guy, you've covered him. >> reporter: yeah, yeah, he's run this entire campaign on he is who he is, let trump be trump. that is exactly what he has done for the last 15 months. and so i think, if i had to guess, there was a sense of, hey, i am who i am, i was who i
4:03 pm
was, and this is who i am now. he has flip-flopped, people don't care. the supporters that rally around him done. you know, love him or hate him, and people do both, that has been one of the constants in this campaign, is trump's going to trump. >> you know, i don't know. maybe he's right about something i heard ken langone, a very smart republican business guy say, even if he loses 59-41, which is possible, that still says that 41% of this country, more than two in five, voted for trump. so maybe he does have a sense -- let me ask you about this fight. in taking on -- it's such a barroom brawl now. he goes -- you know, paul ryan, i'm not a big fan of paul ryan. he comes out and says, i'm not going to be seen with the guy again. and he says, okay, buster, we're going to fight and i'm going to win this without you and i'm going to make you look stupid. the same thing with john mccain, the guy who ran for vice president last night, the guy to ran for president the time before, going into a boxing match in a back room with these
4:04 pm
guys. >> reporter: listen, i talked to a top adviser of donald trump within the last 30 minutes about that very issue, why pick these fights, why do this? and his strategy is, part of it is, it fits with his message of going after washington and going after the establishment, rather than do it rhetorically, donald trump's going to do it on twitter. yes, he's going to continue to go after hillary clinton in ways that you have seen develop over the last maybe several days, starting with that debate on sunday night. and even over the weekend a little bit. we expect to see more of that tonight here in panama city, but this is something that trump wants to do. it's why he got on twitter and decided this was the message he wanted to send. he's going to fight d.c. >> how does that get him to the white house? >> presumably, the strategy seems to be, if you do that, you will rally the people around you that have supported you through this primary, and potentially, pick up more support pip mean, that's the big question mark, chris. it's not enough to just go for the floor that he has. he has a floor of 40% when you look at what the strategists
4:05 pm
say. that's not enough for him to take the white house come november. he has to expand his appeal. you saw him try to do that a little bit after the convention, when you saw prompt trump, if you will. and a more straight-laced, someone who's shifting in that direction. the question now is, will trump unleash or unshackle, whatever he wants to call it, is that going to help him win more people over? >> i don't think it will work. anyway, thank you, hallie jackson. during the debate last night, or last night, donald -- senator john mccain of arizona said he wouldn't vote for his party's nominee. here he is, john mccain. >> it's not pleasant for me to renounce the nominee of my party. he won the nomination fair and square. but, this is -- i have daughters. i have friends, i have so many wonderful people on my staff. they cannot be degraded and demeaned in that fashion. >> so how are you going to vote for? >> i think i might write in lindsey graham. he's an old, good friend of might be and a lot of people
4:06 pm
like him. the fact is, i can't -- seriously, i cannot vote for either one. >> well, today donald trump responded via twitter, what you just heard. it doesn't get any worse. no, it does get worse and worse. "the very foulmouthed senator john mccain begged for my support during his primary. i gave, he won, then he dropped me over locker room remarks." it's going to get worse. anyway, i'm joined right now by hugh hewitt, the host of the hugh hewitt show on the salem radio network, and michael steele, former chair of the republican national convention, both are msnbc analysts. michael, i don't know whether reince priebus has the capability to hold this party together. it's not staying together. this is a battle between all the brand names, the bold-faced names of the republican party are now in a back room or a barroom fight now, throwing stuff at them about their foulmouthed and it's totally raw. you know, this isn't what we think of as a presidential election. >> no, it isn't. >> in my lifetime. >> no, it isn't.
4:07 pm
and it's really kind of the trifecta, if you're looking at this. you have a base that's ticked off beyond pressumeasure and me hurling every possible piece of ammo they have at the party as a whole. and principally, at its leadership. you have the political leadership as well as the executive and congressional leadership that's, you know, disarray, has no idea which way to turn to support, not support, to move towards or away from. and then you have donald trump, the nominee of the party who really doesn't care. that's how this -- >> you know, i was thinking in the bible, you and i are the same religion, a lot of people know this biblical story, of abrahamic background, but let's go with it. samson and the temple, they cut off his hair and blind him and he just brings down the temple. >> yeah. >> what do you make of it? it seems like samson. >> he finds the strength to do that. and that's where donald trump -- that's what one of those tweets was, i will show you how to win. i have the wherewithalithin me to do this. i don't need you to do this.
4:08 pm
and the party just doesn't know how to respond to that at this point. you've got the chairperson, reince priebus, who's sort of standing there, like almost samson between the pillars, stretched out, but doesn't have the strength to kind of pull all of these disparate pieces or ends to the point where they can move forward together. >> i just don't see victory here. hugh, i don't know if you're really a political type, but you certainly know it. and i don't know if you've ever been in the dirty trenches of politics, but i don't see the strategy here. what is the trump strategy? >> it's based on bad information. paul ryan was part of a ticket that got 60 million votes. he is the unequivocal leader of the republican party. the caucus is not deeply divided. i know dana roarback, there may be five people who are afraid to get primaried. dana's going to get primaried by a guy named scott bond -- >> for what? >> because he's not in step with the caucus. >> but he's pretty far right. >> he's very far right, but he's going to get primaried because people want him gone, because
4:09 pm
he's ineffective. so he's mad at paul ryan. but paul ryan has the caucus behind him. mcconnell has the senate behind him. john thune came out against him. i would urge mr. trump to recalibrate and treat this as a potentially temporary separation, not a deeply divisive and irreparable divorce. >> who's head of the republican party right now? >> paul ryan. >> is he really? >> paul ryan -- >> and if you had a vote in this country among all republican voters -- >> paul ryan. >> paul ryan. >> republican voters. >> paul ryan. >> michael, do you buy that? i don't know if his name i.d. is that high. do you think that guy is the head of the republican party, rank and file? >> yes, wihe is. >> how do they even know about him? how'd they get to know him? >> i assure you rank and file republicans across nation know who paul ryan is. they've followed his career, know the work he's done, know the proposals he's put out. >> could he have beaten trump if he'd have gotten in? >> what was that?
4:10 pm
>> could he have beaten trump for the nomination? >> you know, that's a very interesting question. >> well, it's the question i just put to you guy. who's the leader? that's the guy who wins. >> this is my point. given that paul ryan was the nominee before, i think he would have had a great deal more cache than the others on that stage, absolutely. >> but would he have responded to the national mood on the right and center-right against the accomplishment. would he have followed the flag for this sort of brexit-type anger people have for trade immigration and stupid wars? would he have been that leader that trump was so effectively in the primaries? >> i think he would have been, because i think he fundamentally understands he saw what happened to his friend, eric cantor. he's seen what happened to other republicans in their districts. so i think he has -- i think he has a good sense of -- >> donald trump has a lot of very passionate, earnest, wonderful people supporting him. paul ryan has millions supporting him. again, 60 million people voted for romney/ryan. if right now you're in a tight congressional race anywhere in the united states, you have to make the case between asking paul ryan, you call paul ryan.
4:11 pm
>> in an event with mike pence, one trump supporter said she was, quote, ready for a revolution if clinton becomes president. let's watch the interaction here, especially from mr. pence, governor pence. >> one of the biggest things i can tell you that a lot of us are scared of is this voter fraud. our lives depend on this election. our kids' futures depend on this election. and i will tell you, just for me, and i don't want this to happen, but i will tell you, for me, personally, if hillary clinton gets in, i, myself, i'm ready for a revolution, because we can't have her in -- >> yeah, you don't -- don't say that. >> but i'm just saying. no, you know, i'm like trump. i might not speak for people here. but i'm saying the truth here, guys. >> there's a revolution coming on november the 8th, i promise you. >> there he is showing some restraint michael. i thought it was impressive, he didn't join the demagoguery the woman was pushing for. what do you mean, revolution?
4:12 pm
armed conflict against the government? what are we talking about here? this sounds like second amendment stuff again, and he said, no. that was a john mccain moment. i'm not going to go along with crazy talk. you win or lose an election -- by the way, i want to ask you about trump. do you think he's supporting -- is he supporting our democracy when he says, if i lose, it was rigged, if i win, i'm going to put her in jail. what is it that is third world stuff that i grew up, phony governments that call themselves democracies and it's always a strong man that runs them. it's never another election. nobody ever gets taken out of office by election. but they call themselves democracies. people's republics and all that nonsense, because they don't really have a democracy. and here's trump saying, if i lose, it was stolen. if i win, i'm going to prosecute her. that sounds like, you know, pakistan. ali bhutto gets hanged because he lost an election, or that indian politician or the same thing in latin america, if you lose, you go to jail. >> i get that, chris, and a lot of that is just rhetoric. >> was trump pushing that? why is he doing it? >> because, it works -- he's got to get his base. he's got to get his folks -- >> does that help american
4:13 pm
democracy? >> i understand that. but you have to look at it from the politics as he sees it. >> the interest defies the means. go ahead. >> mr. trump -- i've asked him to withdraw, because i think mike pce could win. but when he gets angry, he' angry at a media double standard that digs up stuff about him and does not dig up stuff -- >> we've lived with the clinton mess. i covered the clinton piece for years. >> in the end of a campaign, tapes arrive, tax returns displayed, the podesta e-mails are not getting the coverage -- >> "access hollywood" went after donald trump? >> no, somebody on that team, some liberal on that production team, found, and hid, and selectively released a tape in order to maximize -- as ted cruz said, why did this not come out in may. the howard stern tapes get released. tax returns get leaked. >> the tax returns have not been released. >> no, they got leaked, the ones that got leaked. >> what's your point? >> he's angry about the rigged
4:14 pm
nature of the media -- >> is it rigged? >> the rig is that 95% of american media will vote for hillary clinton. >> they rig the election because of their political point of view? >> they rig the election because of the way that the media works. >> how does the media works? i'm only thinking of one close election since nixon's where nixon's -- i'll talk about it at the end soft show, when nixon gave it up in '60. in 2000, when the supreme court intervened in our electoral process and gave it to w. -- >> strike that. when dan rather made a call in florida that kept the panhandle voters from coming out and delivering florida to gore. >> so you're telling me that the media roared at that and stopped that process. that they somehow influenced that election for al gore? >> yes, absolutely! he lost. >> he lost -- >> who lost? in the end, but it led to an illegitimacy to a bush presidency and -- >> fine, i don't think so. al gore gave a dramatic concession speech, gave it to him. >> should have gave it to him on the night of the november election, as nixon did to kennedy in 1960. >> because it wasn't decided yet. >> it was decided and it was
4:15 pm
decided when the recount was ran eight different ways to sunday. >> it's not true. and i'm not an al gore fan, either. thank you michael steele. thank you, hugh hewitt, but i don't think you're right. this idea that the media gave it to w., the media gave it to reagan, the media gave it to george bush sr., you're talking about a pretty weak media if it's got this power. coming up, with donald trump threatening to put hillary clinton in jail, it smacks of something a dictator would say or relish. and now one of trump's biggest supporters says he needs to be more authoritarian. wow. after calling the clinton the devil and saying the election's rigged, the real winnaeeal lose election may be the rule of law. hillary clinton continues to be bolstered by big leads in the polls and now she's got a super surrogate. al gore returns to florida where he lost it all in 2000 to warn millennials not to throw away their vote on a third party candidate. the right message from the right guy. and the "hardball" roundtable is coming here this
4:16 pm
tuesday night. they'll tell me three thix you should know about this race that i don't know. finally, my election diary for tonight, pretty hard-hitting for october 11th, this tuesday night, just four weeks left in this campaign. this is "hardball," the place for politics. something new has arrived. ♪ uniquely designed for the driven. ♪ introducing the first-ever infiniti qx30 crossover. infiniti. empower the drive.
4:17 pm
this is new and it's news. our new nbc news/"wall street journal" poll now includes responses from voters after sunday night's debate. the result, hillary clinton is maintaining her lead, but there are small signs of life for the trump campaign. in a four-way matchup as of yesterday, clinton's lead is now 9 points, it was 11. the "access hollywood" tapes helped move it towards trump. apparently he only had a 7-point deficit in that one day that they could vote in this poll on that power of the debate itself. anyway, that suggests trump supporters were enthused by what
4:18 pm
they saw sunday night, but the clinton lead is pretty wide. wait. data just changed... now she's into disc sports. ah, no she's not. since when? since now. she's into tai chi. she found disc sports too stressful. hold on. let me ask you this... what's she gonna le six months from now? who do we have on aerial karate? steve. eve. steve. and alexis. uh, no. just steve. just steve. just steve. live business, powered by sap. when you run live, you run simple. kubo: i spy something stbeginning with..."s". beetle: snow. kubo: no. beetle: snow covered trees. monkey: nothing to do with snow. narrator: head outside to discover incredible animals and beautiful plants that come together to create an unforgettable adventure. kubo: wow! narrator: so grab your loved ones monkey: don't even. narrator: and explore a world of possibilities. kubo: come on, this way. narrator: visit discovertheforest.org to find the closest forest or park to you.
4:19 pm
weand sustainability goals asool one of our top priorities.mental i definitely rely on pg&e to be an energy advisor. anything from rebates, to how can we be more efficient? pg&e has a number of programs, to help schools save on energy. when i see a program that fits them, then i bring it to them. with the help of pg&e we've been able to save a tremendous amount of energy and a tremendous amount of money. we're able to take those savings and invest it right back into the classroom. together, we're building a better california.
4:20 pm
crooked hillary clinton, oh, she's crooked, folks. she's crooked as a $3- bill. okay. here's one. just came out, lock her up is right. no. that's donald trump last night. welcome back to "hardball." that was him, calling for hillary clinton to be locked up, provoking a chorus of chants that become increasingly familiar in this campaign rallies, lock her up. maybe they should say, locker room him up. it comes after at the debate on sunday, he said he would direct his attorney general to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate hillary clinton, and that if he had his way, she'd be in jail. let's watch. >> i didn't think i would say
4:21 pm
this, but i'm going to say it. and i hate to say it, but if i win, i am going to instruct my attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation. because there has never been so many lies, so much deception. there has never been anything like it. and we're going to have a special prosecutor. >> you know, it is -- it's just awfully good that someone with the temperament of donald trump is not in charge of the law in our country. >> yeah, because you'd be in jail. >> anyway, his legal specialist told "the new york times," trump's pledge represents a threat to the rule of law. quote, he was suggesting that he would strip power from the institutions that normally enforce the law, investing instead, in himself. a move that could, would, chip away at the things that make america's democracy so resilient. michael chertoff, the former secretary of homeland security under president bush says, it smacks about what we read about
4:22 pm
in tin pot dictators and other parts of the world, when they win an election, their first move is to imprison opponents. don't we know that so well. and michael mukasey said, it would make us look like a banana republic. this comes after trump has repeatedly questioned our democratic process. i'm joined now by time contributor, jay newton small, that's the magazine, and jeremy peters, reporter with "the new york times." i want to start with you, jeremy. this kind of crackpot kind of politics, where if i win, i'll jail her, if i lose, it was rigged. well, that sort of makes everything sort of identical. i mean, there's no more arguments. it's -- if i lose, that's because it was rigged. if i win, she goes to jail because she deserves to go to jail. so it's not just the president, they decide everything. >> what the law is. right. this is so much deeper than just a misunderstanding of the law and american legal tradition,
4:23 pm
right? this is trump's impulse to not just defeat his opponents, but humiliate them and belittle them. it's not just enough for hillary clinton to be defeated. no, he's going to go after it and he's going to throw her in jail. but this is totally consistent with his other assertions that he would abuse the law. whether it's opening up libel law, which a president has no authority to do, or whether it was his attacks on this judge, who he falsely called a mexican. i mean, he has a history here of doing things that totally cross the boundary when it comes to the american legal system and precedent. >> what strikes me is the way he relished the idea of putting her in jail. >> yeah. >> if you listen to what he says, it's not like, i'm going to do this, i would love to be a dictator, because then i could throw you in jail. that's an amazing statement. we've gotten used to -- we're like the frog in the pot that keeps getting hotter and he keeps getting worse and he keeps listening to it. that's just a little worse than what he said yesterday. two days ago. >> but it's this impossibility of what republicans keep
4:24 pm
promising their angry electorate, right? they have this whole sector of the electorate that's super angry and they keep saying, we're going to repeal obamacare. and 64 tries in the house later, they've never managed to appeal obamacare, because the government was built by the founding fathers to be a very deliberate process. it was built on the idea that rapid change was akin to tyranny. so you couldn't have rapid change. >> what is trump to you? what kind of a candidate is he? what is he offering here? >> he's offer himself as a tyrant, essentially. he says, i'm going to produce all this massive, rapid change and jail my opponents and do all these things that's just -- and he can't. we won't be able to do anything, because our government is not built that way. >> it's almost nixonian but -- >> it's worse. i would defend nixon on this one. >> it's cruel nixonian, because there's an edge of bitterness here, and a desire to not just defeat, but to crush and humiliate. >> to win. >> anyway, critics say that trump threatens to erode rule of law. trump defender maine governor paul lepage told a local radio station today that this country
4:25 pm
needs someone a little more authoritarian like trump to enforce rule of law. >> sometimes i wonder that our constitution is not only broken, but it needs to -- we need a donald trump to show some authoritarian power in our country and bring back the rule of law, because we've had eight years of a president that just is an autocrat. he just does it on his own. he ignores congress. and we're slipping every single day, we're slipping into anar y anarchy. >> well, nixon, infamously said, nixon was somewhat of a mixed bag. obviously, in the end, he deserved to be kicked out, but he did some good things. nixon said, when a president does it, it's legal. remember that great line? i am, by definition, the law. >> and that's exactly what donald trump would do. he decides the law. he doesn't have the traditional constitutional executive
4:26 pm
authority to enforce the law. he decides what they are and when they get opened up, right? and revisited. and revised. and what paul lepage was saying there was so striking, because it's this double standard that a lot of conservatives have. it's okay for donald trump to enhance the power of the executive branch and enforce and imply laws as he sees fit. but it's not okay for barack obama to do it. >> he's not charles de gaulle, either. there's no national claim. but ken langone was on -- very impressive what he said, a conservative republican business guy in new york, a very successful guy with home depot and everything. and he said, you know, even if trump loses 59-41, which might happen, maybe, that means 41% of the country, more than two in five, supported all of this. they bought everything he said. they bought the need for this -- they believe -- and they all believe the election was rigged. and they all believe hillary should have gone to jail. and that's a lot of people. >> 52% of republicans already believe that the election will be rigged, right? he doesn't need to say it over and over again. it's already there. and that is a racial sort of dog
4:27 pm
whisper in this case. people said that somehow african-americans stole the election from mitt romney, because there were precincts in pennsylvania that voted 100% for barack obama. and they said, that's impossible, it's just not possible, and therefore the election was stolen. >> and that's exactly what we were just talking about with trump's undermining of the legal system, right? he's undermining the american electoral system. >> i do know some people on the left, people i know well, who believe that ohio was stolen. from john kerry. anyway, thank you, jay newton-small, you know the election machines out there? diabold or whatever it's called. thank you, jeremy peters. up next, al gore hits the campaign trail for the first time for hillary clinton. he's very good. al gore has put on a little note. am i allowed to say that? when you see him for the first time and haven't seen him for years, it does grab you. he's telli people what he taught to tell, because after ralph nairt got 92,000 votes in florida and threw that election down there to w., there should be a lesson there that older people should remind younger people about, don't throw your vote away for somebody like gary
4:28 pm
johnson or jill stein if you really care who wins the election. it's not just a protest opportunity, it's the election of a president and elections have consequences. this is "hardball," the place for politics. is it a professor who never stops being a student? is it a caregiver determined to take care of her own? or is it a lifetime of work that blazes the path to your passions? your personal success kes a financial partner who values it as much as you do. learn more at tiaa.org [music] jess: hey look, it's those guys. shawn: look at those pearly whites, man.
4:29 pm
[music] bud: whoa, cute! shawn: shut-up. jess: are you good to drive? shawn: i'm fine. [music] [police siren] jess: how many did you have? shawn: i should be fine. jess: you should be? officer: sir, go ahead and step out of the vehicle for me. shawn: yes, sir. bu e ya, buddy. today, shawn's got a hearing,e'll see how it goes. good luck! so, it turns out buzzed driving and drunk driving, they're the same thing and it costs around $10,000. so not worth it.
4:30 pm
4:31 pm
welcome back to "hardball." that was president barack obama tonight, making a powerful pitch for hillary clinton, as the rp party continues to engage in all-out civil war, the democratic party is presenting, "how's this," a united front.
4:32 pm
no longer that headline, democrats in disarray, that old favorite. hillary clinton enlisted her he was a hitter. bill clinton made two stops in florida. boy, somebody's done something with the prompter here, wrapped up an event in north carolina. and former vice president al gore, the last-minute closer, just called up from the bull pen, headlined an event in miami, florida, a place that has particular significance for al gore, because he lost the election there by less than 600 votes. anyway, here's gore. >> your vote really, really, really counts. a lot. you can consider me as an exhibit "a" of that proof. elections have consequences. your vote counts. your vote has consequences.
4:33 pm
>> well, it's been 16 years, believe it or not, since we've seen the gore name on a ballot, but the clinton campaign hopes his appearance, al gore's appearance today in florida will remind millennials that every vote matters. something secretary clinton reminded miami radio listeners this morning. >> florida is the key. if we win florida, there's no way my opponent can win. that's why he's going to be in florida today. he knows that. and despite all of the terrible things he has said and done, he is still trying to win this election. and we cannot be come place sent, we cannot rest, do not grow weary while doing good. >> i'm joined right now by "the huffington post's" sam stein and stephanie schriock, who is president of emily's list. my daughter said -- she thinks george foreman is the guy selling that hot plate, you know, the grill. she doesn't remember the rumble in the jungle and all of that stuff like i grew up with. and to me george foreman is this
4:34 pm
frightening foe of muhammad ali, the guy who could beat up anybody -- >> but it is a great grill. >> to young people, i'm told. older millennials know about what happened in florida in 2000, the disputed election, how the supreme court came in and gave it to w. and all that and how gore just took it, like a man, i would argue, he had to do it for the country, okay, you won, i lost, even though i think i won. then there was the later al gore of "an inconvenient truth," which was a hell of a documentary about the dangers of climate change. a lot of younger millennials know of him that way. in both cases, how did hillary clinton use him that way? >> he was great, because he talked about, every vote matters. this was the last day you could register in florida. they were doing big voter registrations. it's every vote matters. >> getting 92,000 votes. >> i think that's part of -- exactly, and we've got to make sure that everybody's in that -- but the climate change -- i sort of asked about this. because my first response is, are we sure that millennials remember al gore?
4:35 pm
was my question. and it's the inconvenient truth, like so many of these younger millennials have watched it, they've seen it -- >> they're going to be around in 70 years. >> and one of their top issues is climate change. >> do you know why florida matters on both coasts? >> it's so great to see, they're there, talking about the issues that matter to the state, that matter to the voters. and i think it was a really great day for them. >> sam? >> i thought it was a doubly symbolic stop, because florida was ground zero for the 2000 election and it's the state that's getting hit hardest by climate change and he resonates in both those changes. but in the end, i don't think she's going to lose this election because jill stein siphons off votes -- >> you're thinking that jill stein -- she's only getting 2% in her latest poll today. >> i don't think jill stein is going to cause -- >> you're not related to her? >> my great aunt jill, no? i think what's happening is she needs to find a way to the motivate her base. and what you're seeing now in some of these polls is millennial support is, in fact,
4:36 pm
moving to hillary. >> anyway, here's president obama tonight talking to college students in north carolina about a vision of america that hillary shares with him. let's watch this. >> i see young people all across this country, of every color and every background and every faith, who are full of energy and ideas and they're not going to be held back by what is, because they want to seize what could be, what ought to be. and i see americans of every background and every faith, who believe that we are stronger together. young, old, black, white, latino, asian, native american. folks with disabilities. men and women, all pledging allegiance to that same proud flag. that's the america i know. and there's only one candidate in this race who shares those beliefs and who's devoted her life to it. >> you know, there's a little mlk there, just a little? don't you think, stephanie? there's something in that bible -- >> he's extraordinary. >> that bible cadence that's just overpowering, great stuff.
4:37 pm
>> and in north carolina, a critical background state, i mean, this is a race, keep in mind, you've got -- you know, this is a race or a state that barack obama actually lost in 2012, won in '08, lost in '12, here in north carolina, the democratic governor candidate is in the lead. but it's like, it's good energy there. >> all i can say is he has benefited more than anyone else from this campaign. you have two people who are just going at each other -- >> so has joe biden. >> andio biden, too. >> remember hillary when she was secretary of state. through the roof. >> but keep in mind, he has said, because of that, because of that, he can be an effective surrogate. >> if i were donald trump, i would be scared of that man we just saw. he's going to have crowds like you've never seen. not just minority crowds, everybody. 85% of philly is going to vote democrat. and the 'burbs, this time around, are going to vote for -- i think the women in the suburbs and their husbands will be listening to the women and a lot of influence coming from that direction in this election.
4:38 pm
>> absolutely. emily's list. stephan stephan stephan stephanie schriock and sam stein. up next, we've got tape from an interview i did with trump, i showed you a bit before. trump knew he had this problem, and he still ran. anyway, we'll be right back. i had frequent heartburn, but...my doctor recommended prilosec otc 7 years ago, 5 years ago, st week. just 1ill each morning. 24 hours and zero heartburn, it's been the number 1 doctor recommended brand for 10 straight years, and it's still recouse asirected.
4:39 pm
ok, so we drowned the fire... yep. stirred it... mm-hmm. drowned it again... mm-hmm. and now just feel if it's cold. yeah cool. [camera shutter clicks] [whistling a tune] smokey just gave me a bear hug. i know. i already posted i yfor the best deals on eltrs, travel, en shoes. so why not loans? visit lendingtree.com toda and get up to five free loan offers from competing lenders in under two minute then pick the best deal on mortgage loans, auto loans, personal loans, and a ole lot re. if you choose a loanthe lender pays us. that's how lendingtree®s completely free foyou.
4:40 pm
and it's so easy you can do it righfrom your phone, that's hright now.tree®s completely free foyou. when bks compete, you win. bp eineers use underwater robots, so they can keep watch over operations below the sea, even from thousands of feet above. because safety is never being satisfied. d always working to be better.
4:41 pm
welcome back to "hardball." in 1998, that's 18 years ago, i sat down with donald trump and asked him about his political ambitions. now, trump predicted at that time that he would be too controversial to run for even governor, because of his history with women, which he'd brought up and he compared it to bill clinton, unfavorably, i think he said. >> did you ever have a flicker, when you were taking a shower or walking to work or waking up in the morning when you said, donald trump, you've won every battle you've ever fought, why don't you run for government?
4:42 pm
why don't you run for president? >> people want me to all the time. >> what about you? >> i don't like it. >> why? >> can you imagine how controversial i would be? think about him with the women, imagine me with the women. >> jim simmons is a democratic strategist, and rick tyler is a republican strategist. let's talk about that, rick. you've been in this battle with ted cruz. why are we seeing numbers that say that even though we know all about donald trump, because he's told us about his life, on that tape, why are they sticking with him, the evangelicals in the republican party? >> i think it's their hatred of hillary clinton. i don't think there's any doubt about it. it's a visceral reaction that -- it's dynamic. it's not that they're supporting trump -- some are, many, with uh be a lot of them are saying, that's the argument. their central argument is, we can't have hillary because we can't lose to the supreme court, we can't continue the policies of the barack obama administration. >> i runs what hillary clinton said about the supreme court the other day, if i were a conservative on these issues, i
4:43 pm
wouldn't want her on there either. she didn't say anything about the constitution, she went through her issues on the progressive side of things and said, i want a supreme court justice who wants what him or her to do in those areas. she basically laid down the fight. this is going to be about policy and philosophy. >> that's what i thought was so striking about -- >> not about who's the best judge. >> that's what was so the striking about that clip you just played. donald trump knows he has this history, and yet they still seem caught so flat-footed on how to deal with this that he has still not given a sincere apology. american voters love to forgive. but, during that debate, it was still locker room banter. >> what does that mean? >> it's dismissing it. i mean, i have spoken to some conservative women, women who consider themselves, you know, stalwart republicans, this was all over social media this week as well, who say they're done with the republican party. i don't know what that means, but they are viscerally angry about both trump dismissing these predatory comments he
4:44 pm
made, but also -- >> it wasn't b-- i love this word -- lewd language. of course it's different than it would be in a crowd, or a mixed crowd, used to say mixed company in the old day. of course it's different in some cases, but predatory. that was different than just bad words. >> so you have the message and the messenger. so, you know, trump has this baggage, he should have known and been prepared how to deal with it. but also, his message on how to once it came to light. >> a friend of mine, a well-known musician. but i don't quote him. he e-mailed me the other day and said, it was just words, not actions. he said he tried to pick up a married woman and pressured her to have sex with him. that's not words. that wasn't locker room talk with the boys, that was going after a married woman and brin bragging about it. >> one, if you want to run for president, it's not like you just wake up and want to do it.
4:45 pm
that leads to point number two, the peep that are good at politics surround themselves with people who tell you what their real problems are. they're not yes people. >> so how'd you figure that out? >> i've been around people who ren't that way. that's how you learn it. >> what you want is somebody to say, you know, i know why you want to do that, but if you do that, you're going to go to jail. how's that for a start. >> that's right, like, this is bad news for you. and i think he surrounded himself by people who didn't tell him no and didn't deal with his real weaknesses or vulnerabilities. >> do you buy the argument? rick, you know politicians. sometimes they are not calculating. they just are angry. do you think that scene at the white house correspondents when president obama just humiliated trump, do you think he decide ds to run that moment? some people say in that big documentary, in the front line documentary, pbs, they say that was the moment he said, i'm going to take this guy on. and that would explain why he doesn't care about his past, because he wasn't thinking about his past. >> it could have been, but instead of laughing a about it, he seemed to be pretty upset
4:46 pm
about it. he protects himself, he doesn't like to be made fun of. one thing -- donald trump has spent a lot of time with his brand, the trump brand. people know his hotels and it seems like he put a lot of thought into it, but in terms of politics, it doesn't seem like he puts a lot of thought -- it's almost like he's an addict, he's looking for the next fix, the next adrenaline rush. that's why you get 3:00 a.m. tweets, why he's making news all the time. >> that's why he's good on the stump, too. he's working with the crowd and getting direction from the crowd and he throws -- like he said, "you'd be in jail," was that considered? was that what he meant? he said, i'm going to say she belongs in jail. >> now they're putting out web ads and sending out e-mails that say. it wasn't just a heat of the moment quip, he's doubling down on it. >> here's meggy hastert, republican kelly ayotte, she launched a tv ad hitting ayotte
4:47 pm
for calling trump a role model. brutal stuff here. >> would you tell a child to aspire to be like donald trump? would you point to him as a role model? >> absolutely, i would do that. >> i would look her right in her fat ugly face. i moved on her like a [ bleep ]. i just start kissing them. when you're a star, they let you do it. you can do anything. >> do you treat women with respect? >> i can't say that either. >> would you point to him as a role model? >> absolutely, i would do that. >> in fairness to senator ayotte, who i have nothing against, it took her to get to -- she said, if he becomes president, then i can respect that. but that editing was brutal. >> and she's withdrawn the statement. >> immediately afterward, she put out a statement saying she misspoke. but it sort of encapsulates, it just encapsulates the bind that donald trump put republicans -- >> they're in a bind. >> in tough races. >> the roundtable is staying with us. up next, these three will tell me something i don't know. be right back.
4:48 pm
i'm not a customer, but i'm calling about that credit scorecard (to g)give it. re! it's free for everyone. oh! well that'nice! and checking your scorewon'. oh! (to dog)i'm so proud of you. well thank you. geyour free cred scorecard atiscover.com. even if you're not a customer.
4:49 pm
lots of vitamins a&c, and, only 50 calories a serving... good morning, indeed. v8. veggiefor all. for our brand-new nbc news online poll shows most viewers of sunday night's debate show that hillary clinton won. 34% for hillary, 34% for trump, and one in five say neither one. that's a bit of an improvement for trump over his performance if the first debate. we'll be right back. sting may lo other treatment options that can work.
4:50 pm
learn how genomic testing is changing the way we fight cancer at cancercenter.com/genomics [baby talk] [child giggling] child: look, ma. no hands. chilen: "i", "j", "k"... [cycle bell rings] [indistinct chatter] [telephone ngs] man: hlo? [boing] [laughter] man: you may kiss the bride. [applause] woman: ahh. [indistinct conversatn] annouer: a full life measured ineats startwith theheright ones early on. car crashes are a leading killer of children 1 to 13.
4:51 pm
learn how to prevent deaths and injuries by using the right car seat for your child's age and size. bp engineersse robotic ultrasound technology, so they can detect and repair corrosion before it ever becomes a problem. because safety never being satisfied. and always working to be better.
4:52 pm
we're back with the "hardball" round tp table. tell me something i don't know. >> the poll came out of chicago and looks at millennials and highlights black and latino millennials look at third party candidates other than white millennials. support for gary johnson. >> more or less? >> much more than white. >> explain. what's your analysis of that? >> that white millennials are a little more conservative. they're more enamored with gary johnson. black millennials are with hillary. >> i spent a week in raleigh, north carolina. this was before donald trump's hollywood access video. but what i was struck by is these millennials hated both candidates. they hate clinton, they hate trump. >> what's the hillary problem? >> they don't trust her.
4:53 pm
she's not authentic. most of them were excited about be bernie in a way that young people were excited about obama in '08. but they are all going to vote and most of them are going to vote for clinton. they hate her -- >> do they have a name for ta? >> inauthentic, that they don't trust her. they were bothered by the e-mails. i think the bernie sanders arguments dushing the primary -- >> rick. >> suck. >> it's scorched earth tactics to take hillary down which won't work, but the people surrounding trump will form the most robust anti-clinton lucrative organization post election and they'll also work with the takeover of the republican party, blaming the republicans and blaming the establishment for what happened. >> thank you. when we return, my election diary for tonight, october 11th,
4:54 pm
with just four weeks to go exactly before the election. you're watching "hardball." [burke] hot dog. seen it. covered it. we know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two. ♪ we are farmers. bum-pa-dum, bum-bum-bum-bum ♪
4:55 pm
g new cars. you're smart. you already knew that. but it's also great for finding the perfect used car. you'll see what a fair price is, and you can connect with a truecar certified dealer. now you're even smarter. this is truecar. from the creative galaxy in my idea box. would you help me make art? ♪ each one of our journeys ♪ keeps us young hey, i have an idea!
4:56 pm
♪ we'll never getlder... arty: go be amazing! amazing! announcer: give your cardboard box anotr life. but...my doctor recommended prilos otc 7 years ago,n, 5 ars ago, last week. just 1 pill each morning. 24 hours and zero heartburn, it's been the nuer 1 doctor recommended brand for 10 straight years, and it's still recommended today. use as directed our mission at clover is to highest quality dairy products. clover has relationships with 27 different family farms. the environment is who clover is. without it, we're nothing. pg&e's been a great partner. they're the energy experts, we're the milk guys. pg&e worked with clover on a number of energy efficiency projects to save energy every month. if you're part of the fabric of the community, you've got to ensure that you do things right, environment included. learn how you can save at pge.com/save together, we're building a better california.
4:57 pm
election diary tuesday october 11th, 2016. it's no surprise to any one of you that i love american politics. it's not just the competition and the stakes for the candidates. it's for the power of our democracy itself. it's for what it is. how it's made this country great. we don't look at the presidency on the basis of policy alone or even philosophies.
4:58 pm
it's the person we get excited about. when we look at our presidents in modern times, fdr, harry truman, dwight eisenhower, jack kennedy, ronald reagan. they're the leaders our children and grandchildren will write about, wonder about, and, yes, argue about. there's one ingredient they've shared, a respect for the country and the office, our constitution, the democratic system and where they have failed we've kept notice of that, too. but they have loved our democracy itself. that's for sure. donald trump is making clear he does not. he relishes the notion of being a dictator, being able to throw his opponent, as he put it on sunday night's debate in jail. if he wins he plans to prosecute his opponent. if he loses, he plans to say the election was rigged. this isn't the talk of the locker room. it's the talk of third world dictators. you talk of hearing with the word democratic in those countries that shows up in the country's name there's no democracy and reality in those
4:59 pm
countries they're run by strongmen in the interest of strongmen in other words bull es. look, al gore accepted is defeat in the year 2000 even though he believed more people voted for him in florida even though we new he had 600,000 more votes than his rival. he did it because in addion to believing in climate change he believes in america. does anyone listening to donald trump in the past several months believe he would do what al gore did. that he would honor the institutions of our country even if it cost him closing this deal. even richard nixon who came within a single vote per precinct refused to challenge the election results because of what the resulting division would do to our country. does anyone believe donald trump would make a similar choice. and if not, why would you even think of investing in him the moral authority the american presidency? that's hardball for now, "all in" with chris haes starts right now. tonight on "all in" -- >> congress men, who likes
5:00 pm
congressmen? >> donald trump declares war. >> it is really sad that we don't have stronger leadership on both sides? >> 28 days out, the republican nominee turns on republican. >> i think it's important that we let trump be trump. >> tonight new poll numbers. a new down ballot reality and new concerns about donald trump damages going beyond the republican party. >> for me personally, if hillary clinton gets in, i myself, i'm ready for a revolution because we can't have her in. >> yeah. don't say that. >> i'm just saying it. >> plus more trump tape fallout. >> when you're a star, they let you do it. you can do anything. >> the conservative uprising against gop leadership for refusing to disavow trump. meanwhile, in florida. >> your vote, really, really, really counts. a lot. >> team clinton calls in backup to avoid repeating history and "all in" starts right now.

63 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on