Skip to main content

tv   Hardball With Chris Matthews  MSNBC  October 14, 2016 4:00pm-5:01pm PDT

4:00 pm
anytime on any device, check out bloombergpolitics.com for more coverage on this wild race. thanks for watching. coming up, "hardball" with chris matthews. trump to obama, watch out! let's play "hardball." good evening. i'm chris matthews in washington. well, tonight, donald trump's facing multiple public allegations of sexual misconduct. some of which go back decades. and if response, trump is saying that his accusers, along with his political rivals and the media, are part of a conspiracy against him and his supporters. well, today, two more women have come forward with accounts of trump's sexual advances. in a press conference with attorney gloria allred today,
4:01 pm
former "apprentice" contestant, summer zervos said that trump in 2007 accosted her in his hotel room during what she said was supposed to be a meeting about a potential job opportunity. here she is. >> he put me in an embrace and i tried to push him away. i pushed his chest to put space between us and i said, come on, man, get real. he repeated my words back to me, "get real" as he began thrusting his genitals. he tried to kiss me again, with my hands still on his chest, and i said, dude, you're tripping right now. attempting to make it clear i was not interested. >> well, late today, donald trump issued a statement denying the accusation of summer. quote, to be clear, i never met her at a hotel or greeted her inappropriately a decade ago. that is not who i am as a person, and it is not how i've conducted my life. beyond that, the media is now creating a theater of absurdity that threatens to tear our democratic process apart and poison the minds of the american
4:02 pm
public. when gloria allred is given the same weighting on national television as the president of the united states, and unfounded accusations are treated as fact, with reporters throwing due diligence and fact finding to the side in a rush to file their stories first, it's evident that we truly are living in a broken system. in another alleged incident reported earlier today by "the washington post," former model kristen anderson said trump touched her inappropriately at a club in new york in the early '90s. let's watch her. >> this is the vivid part for me. so the person on my right, who unbeknownst to me at that time was donald trump, put their hand up my skirt. and as i pushed the hand away and i got up and i turned around and i see these eyebrows, very distinct eyebrows of donald trump. >> nbc has not independently confirmed any of the women's accounts. at his rally earlier today, trump denied all allegations of
4:03 pm
sexual misconduct. >> the stories are total fiction. they're 100% made up. they never happened. they never would happen. these are lies being pushed by the media and the clinton campaign to try and keep their grip on our country. they are all false. they're totally invented fiction. all 100% totally and completely fabricated. one came out recently, where i was sitting alone in some club. i really don't sit alone that much, honestly, folks, i don't think i sit alone. i was sitting alone by myself, like this. and then i went -- >> well, trump also issued a stark warning to president obama saying that women could come forward and accuse him of the same thing. >> obama is an incompetent. he is an incompetent president.
4:04 pm
he doesn't know what he's doing. he's out campaigning all day long. he's talking about me like he knows me. i don't know him. he doesn't know me. and why doesn't some woman maybe come up and say what they say falsely about me. they could say about him. they could say it about anybody. they could say it about anybody. i'll tell you what, he better be careful, because they could say it about anybody. anybody at all. >> i'm joined now by hugh hewitt, he's nationally syndicated talk show host and msnbc analyst and michelle bernard is president of the bernard center for women, also a columnist for "u.s. news & world report." who should we start with? how about you, hugh? let's talk politics. these accounts have not been verified by nbc news. we have to be very clear about that. trump has denied them, denied them in their entirety, where do we go from there? >> john reid is a legendary
4:05 pm
evidence professor i had at the university of michigan law school years ago. chad howell, another great expert on evidence. they teach you how to categorize and apply one rule. things like excited outbursts, contemporaneous accounts, admissions against interest. summer zervos's account is quick detailed. it would lend itself to quick discrediting. >> i know those rooms. they're all separate. >> we will find out about that one. >> how would we find out? have to check out who was booked? >> yes. trump came up today, and mike pence said in a very tough interview with matt this morning that there would be evidence forthcoming. matt lauer, immediately, they brought forward a witness to t first class plane ride from many years ago, but he can't remember what year, and he said he has a
4:06 pm
the good photographic memory, but not good. >> how would you rebut something on an airplane. how would you be in a situation where you'd see that? first of all, you would have to be in the same row. >> yes. >> you don't -- you're not a giraffe, you can't look over three rows. you have to be in the same room and -- >> you would have to be peering -- exactly. >> and watching donald trump's hand as closely as a person who was feeling it. >> exactly. >> the person feeling would obviously be more in touch, literally, with what trump was up to. but they put this fellow out as their evidence. >> yeah, and nothing else. you notice, once again, we hear a promise of something that is coming and i believe towards the end of the day, today mike pence said, there's nothing else. at least, not right now. >> i think he was on to something, because the evidence here is going to end up being the accounts of the two people. because who els would have the evidence? unless there's contemporaneous assertions by the person who said they were accosted that
4:07 pm
way, if somebody was treated that way. and they told a bunch of people that they're relatives, you don't believe. >> one of the rules of evidence is, did you tell someone contemporaneously. i never believed anita hill, because she had no contemporaneous accounts, never came forward. both of "the new york times" women -- >> did you say other than janet napolitano? >> yeah, but she did not come forward and testify. janet napolitano was one of the women representing anita hill at the time. >> at the time she accused clarence thomas of doing that? >> i believe she was on record saying that anita hill was telling the truth. but it will all out. a general denial will not work, specific denials, even persuasive, are too many to turn back -- he has to change the narrative somehow or he'll lose. >> gloria allred is a smart lawyer. like anything in the law business, a lot of people just don't like lawyers, but she certainly has the witness prepared, had a very detailed
4:08 pm
account. she was very nervous, but she was laying it out there, herself. >> yes. >> that was impressive. >> and i read -- i was doing a lot of reading today, trying to understand what is the psychology that we have as a country where we seem to evaluate the needs of men or people who have been accused of sexual misconduct above the needs of women who have said, this person has perpetrated a crime on me. >> you're still innocent until proven guilty. >> absolutely, but you see, we live in a sort of rape culture and victim culture and culture that doesn't believe women when they say they have been sexually -- >> you think that women don't believe these accounts? you don't think these women are believed right now? >> i don't believe that many -- i believe that there are a lot of people who do not believe them. i believe that there are people who say that it didn't happen or if it did happen, it was no big deal. >> that's a different account. >> there are women all over the nation saying --
4:09 pm
>> false allegations abound. there were fall allegations at claremont mckenna college earlier. there are false allegations all over the united states. we have to be careful with them. as a political matter, if you're defending, false or true, you're losing. you're losing. >> i understand what you're saying, but as a woman, it is so unbelievably irritating to have to hear about the fact that it could be false. it could be false. we know that. >> it's like these police cases. i always say to people, treat each case as a case. because each case is different. a little different than everybody else. or we wouldn't need a court. >> and you would assume, donald trump is innocent until proven guilty, but that also means that the victim or that the alleged victim is to believe believed. >> as i reported, yesterday, trump lashed out at his accusers, his political rivals in the media, saying they're part of a conspiracy to destroy him. let's watch him. >> the establishment and their media enablers wield control
4:10 pm
over this nation through means that are very well known. anyone who challenges their control is deemed a sexist, a racist, a xenophobe. and morally deformed. i knew these false attacks would come. i knew this day would arrive. it's only a question of when. this is a conspiracy against you, the american people, and we cannot let this happen or continue. >> well, in his speech today, president obama today mocked trump for his latest conspiracy theory. let's watch that. >> apparently in a speech yesterday, he started talking about global elites, that there was a conspiracy of global elites. this is a guy who spent all his time hanging around, trying to convince everybody that he was a global elite. talking about how great his buildings are, how luxurious and how rich he is and flying around
4:11 pm
everywhere and all he had time for was celebrities. and now suddenly he's acting like he's a populist out there. man, i'm going to fight for working people. come on, man! >> so what do we make of this wild accusation, it seemed like an accusation, be careful, mr. president, because they could come for you. was that a way of just telling his people -- which i would understand, politically -- hey, this is all a charade anyway, so i can play this, too. or is it trying to spur, perhaps, some accusations. >> that's what i believe. i honestly believe when you have somebody running for president and they make this kind of statement, be careful, it could happen no anyone, and he says it over and and over again, i believe that he is sort of saying to some nutcase out there maybe or maybe not. please accuse president obama. if you've had any problems with president obama or you think you've had some problems with president obama, if he has ever engaged in any sort of sexual misconduct with you -- >> that would be unlikely.
4:12 pm
>> it would be highly unlikely, because quite frankly, given everything that the president went through to be elected in 2008, if something like that had happened, i think we would have heard about it. >> i want to thank the president for helping my party and rallying my base, leading from behind, red line. >> i want to help you here. you don't have to do this. >> he is going to help us rally our base. >> let me tell you something, what's really sad about this election, if it's going to be based on this, okay, it's going to be based on this. hillary clinton will be sitting in a rocking chair -- >> what's she's doing. >> but there is a problem here. the sentiment that trump tapped into, whether he believed it or not, and i have great suspicions he didn't believe in any of it, concerns about the lack of any reasonable control over immigration that doesn't seem to be going on. and third, wars that we really didn't benefit from in terms of our security and the perception most people are working class people whose kids had to go out and fight those battles, they're going to be betrayed by this. because what's going to happen, people will not vote on these issues.
4:13 pm
they'll vote on the personal fitness of the candidate. and that, i think, is a loss. we should have had a vote, like they did on brexit in england. >> but they'll vote down on obamacare, because premiums have doubled. they're going to vote on that which is their lunch box issue. who cares about -- >> who's going to win on the basis of that? >> paul ryan is going to win -- >> no, the senators -- >> pat toomey's is going to win. kelly ayotte. the doctor is going to win. >> you're just saying all the republicans are going to win. >> all republicans are going to win? >> not all. we're not going to win mark kirk. >> i'm glad that you're excited to talk about congress tonight, but we have to focus on the presidency. we are the -- >> who is it? >> hugh wants to talk about members of congress who are going -- >> he's salvaging. he's riding the salvage vote. he's trying to save the raft. >> i am going back -- >> make your point. >> i am going back to the presidency. if donald trump truly believed that this was coming, and he's
4:14 pm
been waiting for it, and he was going to be prepared, he would have had evidence on his side, waiting for the day that these accusations were going to come forward. i don't for any stretch of the imagination believe that he thought this day was going to come. and quite frankly, from a woman's perspective, if you are an abuser, and i said, "if" to be nice, but if you are an abuser, if you are someone who engages in predatory sexual behavior, you never think that you're going to get caught. and the reason you don't think you're going to get caught, is because we live in a culture where women are not believed when they make these allegations. >> thank you. that's an argument. thank you, hugh hewitt. i don't think it's that bad. michelle bernard, thank you. coming up, first it was michelle obama. now president obama is out on the takedown effort of donald trump. for the president and first lady, this fight is personal, that's clear, and they're hoping to use their popularity with voters -- and by the way, the president will reach 60% in the next few weeks -- to defeat trump and help hillary clinton over the finish line. plus, the new nbc
4:15 pm
battleground map shows big gains for hillary clinton over the last few days and erosion for donald trump in states that traditionally vote republican. and at the end of a dramatic week, the "hardball" roundtable is here with three things about the presidential campaign you may not know. and finally, big part of the show for me, let me finish with something not having to do what's going on in this depressing presidential campaign. it's about bob dylan being a nobel laureate for literature. i love it. this is "hardball," the plaux. tf that i would never grow up. we met when we were very young... i was 17, he was 18. we made the movie the book of life. we started doing animation. with the surface book, you can do all this stuff. you can actually draw on the screen. so crisp. i love it. it's almost like this super powerful computer and a tablet had the perfect baby. it's a typewriter for writing scripts... it's a sketchbook for sketches... ...it's a canvas for painting... you can't do that on a mac.
4:16 pm
bp engineers use underwater robots, so they can keep watch over operations below the sea, even from thousands of feet above. because safety is never being satisfied. and always working to be better. . nbc news has released the latest version of his battleground map and things are moving in hillary clinton's direction. take a look at where things stand right now. here's the states that are likely to go for clinton or already leaning her way. it's a total, by the way, of 287 electoral votes. that's more than the 270 that she needs to win the white house. look at this, donald trump has only 157 electoral votes in the current polling, down by more than 30 from last week. so he's beginning to lose where he was. and look at the states we're
4:17 pm
cawing tocaw i calling toss-ups. some of the biggies are florida and ohio. but also some traditionally red states like arizona, georgia, and utah, there in the toss-up column. and when utah is in the toss-up column, look out on the right. we'll be right back. for an annual check-up. so go, know, and take control of your health. doctor poses. learn your key health numbers, and take control today. you know what, guys? there's a lot of tree branches and dry brush over here. we should probably move the bonfire over there. [smokey whistling a tune] i'm guessing smokey liked that idea.
4:18 pm
woman: how do we protect them from $4 billion in new cuts to california schools? man: vote yes on proposition 55. woman: prop 55 doesn't raise taxes on anyone. man: not on working californians, not small businesses. no one. woman: instead, prop 55 simply maintains the current tax rate on the wealthiest californians. man: so those who can most afford it continue paying their fair share... woman: ...to prevent new education cuts... man: ...and keep improving california's schools. woman: vote yes on prop 55 to help our children thrive.
4:19 pm
welcome back to "hardball." this week, hillary clinton has lowered her profile, letting donald trump bask in the spot, if you will. since last week's debate, the campaign has taken a particularly act rimonious tone don't you think? but two people have broken through the noise to deliver powerful mentals and they are two of hillary's most powerful surrogates, barack and michelle obama. yesterday, the first lady delivered an emotional and searing takedown of donald trump for his most recent comments about women. here's a bit of it. >> it has shaken me to my core in a way that i couldn't have predicted. that the belief that you can do anything you want to a woman?
4:20 pm
it is cruel. it's frightening. and the truth is, it hurts. >> well, her powerful rebuke quickly went viral. and "the washington post" described this speech as a moment in which the country had never seen michelle obama like this, writing, quote, thursday brought out in obama something different, something more personal, more passionate, more urgent. sure sounded like that. anyway, today on the heels of his wife's speech, president obama in his own way took on the republican nominee. >> i noticed her opponent, he seems to be in the middle of a game making excuses all the time for why he might be losing. and it's always interesting to me to see folks who talk tough, but then don't act tough. because if you're tough, you don't make excuses. >> it's amazing. everybody -- both political parties, whatever you think of them, all drop their gs when
4:21 pm
they're speaking to us. because we need a little help with the language. for barack and michelle obama, it's become more than just politics, you can feel that, it's become personal. i'm joined by colleen mccain nelson from the "wall street journal," and also fred hyatt, editor of "the washington post" editorial board. >> so why is it personal for michelle obama? >> she talked about how this kind of shook her to her core, the revelations of -- >> "access hollywood". >> -- lewd remarks. and she speaks as a mom and it's resonant, and it's resonant in a way it's not when hillary clinton talks about being a mom and a grandmother. but i think it's also personal because of the birther issue. president obama and michelle obama took that very personally. it resurfaced -- >> you mean, being called an illegal alien while you're in the white house? >> exactly. so that was very personal for them. and so you've seen a kind of a new energy, a new passion from both of them in the last few days. >> last question along those lines. do you think obama, president obama, is counting the votes
4:22 pm
they're going to trump, and feeling every vote against me is a shot against me and my legacy and my belief in america, really? >> that's right. >> he wants to reduce, not just defeat, but minimize the trump vote. >> he's so offended by the potential of donald trump being the guy who could unravel any part of his legacy. and he thinks that he has worked so hard to do the right thing. he can't imagine letting this guy unravel it. and so you hear that in his voice, when he says, come on, man. he basically says, this guy? >> so i watched your beautiful lead in "the washington post." "the washington post" editorial board endorsed hillary clinton for president today. in the editorial, "the post" says, quote, we are not making this endorsement simply because mrs. clinton's chief opponent is dreadful. you made that point. they continue to say, quote, she has dogged, resilient, purposeful and smart, unlike mr. clinton or mr. bush. she knows washington, unlike mr.
4:23 pm
obama when he ascended. she has executive experience. she is well positioned to get something done. "the post" also concludes, this year, eloquence and charm may matter less than policy chops and persistence. you know, like most people who live in this city, i'm fascinated we're getting something done. it's often more important than ideology. and you point out that hillary clinton doesn't have pizazz, she does have the wonk's ability to cut and have the chops to decide where the opportunity -- like a lawyer. i can see where to cut. explain why you have confidence that she can get immigration reform and do the important t x things. >> chris, this election has gotten so ugly and it gets uglier every day and frightening that we do tend to sometimes lose sight of the fact that there is a well-qualified, well-prepared candidate. and a lot of her past, i think, we think on the editorial board, which doesn't speak for the whole newspaper, as you know, has prepared her for the kind of environment where you've got to work with the other side, where
4:24 pm
you've got to accept some incremental progress. you're not going to have a revolution, but you fight every day to get something done. >> where in her past do you see that? >> i see -- >> the ability to do things with the other side? >> certainly when she was elected to the senate. i think a lot of people thought, there's no way she's going to work, especially with some of these republicans who have just been impeaching her husband and trying her husband. and as you know, you talk to people in the senate, including republicans, they say she was businesslike, she didn't hold grudges, she didn't care that much about getting credit, she wanted to get things done. and i think the same in the state department. you know, you talked to the professionals there, like even the reset with russia, which gets maligned so much, at the to time, that was a reasonable thing to give a shot to. >> foreign policy, her russian views. do you think she's more of a hawk than obama, and is that a good thing? more active in the world? >> i would assume that the fact
4:25 pm
that they're hacking her campaign and trying to get putin elected is not -- >> you mean, trying to get trump elected -- >> trying to get trump elected is not endearing putin to her. >> you mean, it's a sign that they don't want her as president. >> they don't want her, that's for sure. >> because? >> trump is putin's dream. destroy nato, end alliances, he admires dictators. and i think clinton may be a little bit more than obama believes that the united states should be out there standing up for democratic values, liberal values. >> do you think donald trump -- there are a lot of things he doesn't know. like most people. but he has particular areas of vacancy. do you think he knows how bad a guy putin is? do you think he knows who he's up against? fred lived over there. you know the russian world. do you think trump knows it. that these guys are not -- if not the enemy, they're certainly a menace in many ways. >> he seems to be willfully ignorant about this. i think he's chosen not to know more about foreign policy and in particular, russia and putin.
4:26 pm
and so, he has made a point to not delve into these intricacies. >> i think it's even more than that. as you say, i've covered a lot of countries, dictatorships, democracies, everything in between. and the key thing to a democracy, there's really two things that are key. you have an election and the loser acknowledges that they lost and the winner lets the loser survive for another day, right? and trump is challenging both of those things. he's saying, if i lose, it's not legitimate. and if i win, i'm going to lock her up. >> that's what we've been saying on this show for days now. >> this is the putin model. it's not democracy. and i think that's why he's so dangerous. and i think it's why he doesn't see putin as a bad guy. >> yeah, bhutto lost an election in pakistan, they hanged him. that's the trump approach, apparently. thank you so much, fred hiatt. very important endorsement.
4:27 pm
and thank you, colleen. up next, donald trump is lashing out at the press and the vitriol toward the media is making some reporters a little worried. apparently when he points the finger towards the eevel media, some of the people out there, some of the people hillary calls the deplorables are not too happy. this is "hardball," the plax. so they can detect and repair corrosion before it ever becomes a problem. because safety is never being satisfied. and always working to be better.
4:28 pm
announcer: they'll test you. try to break your will. but however loud the loudness gets. however many cheese puffs may fly. you're the driver. the one in control. stand firm. just wait. [click] and move only when you hear the click that says they're buckled in for the drive. never give up till they buckle up.
4:29 pm
4:30 pm
[burke] hot dog. seen it. we know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two. ♪ we are farmers. bum-pa-dum, bum-bum-bum-bum ♪ the lies, corruption, and false accusations of the crooked
4:31 pm
hillary clinton campaign and the mainstream media, which they control and use quite viciously. it's a disgraceful thing that you can be on the front page of the failing "new york times," and it is a failing newspaper. third-rate people, i'm telling you. third-rate -- bad people. bad people. sick people. the establishment and their media enablers wield control over this nation through means that are very well known. anyone who challenges their control is deemed a sexist. a racist. a xenophobe. and morally deformed. >> you can't beat that. welcome back to "hardball." that was donald trump lashing out at the media, as trump denounces the press, his supporters are following his lead. campaign reporters traveling with trump yesterday tweeted about their experience at a rally in florida and also one in ohio yesterday.
4:32 pm
nbc's own hallie jackson tweeted, "traveling press files into seats at trump rally in cincinnati. crowd boos lustily upon their arrival. the "l.a. times" seema meta tweeted, press at trump evening rally getting escorted to motorcade under watch of cops in riot gear per pool. this is getting increasingly scary. yahoo! news's holly bailey tweeted, as trump attacks press today, there is notably more security around media assembled here. well, "the washington post" jose del rio tweeted, the vitriol towards the media here is as bad as i've ever seen it. boos and cursing and middle fingers as soon as traveling press walked in. and one television reporter made an unfortunate discovery at the event. this is cnn's jim acosta. >> reporter: one donald trump supporter left this sign on a press table in the press pen. it shows a swastika and the word "media." it is shaping up to just be a race to the bottom in the final weeks of this campaign, wolf.
4:33 pm
and it is, at times, just getting downright scary. >> downright scary. let's bring in the "hardball" roundtable. john stanton is washington bureau chief for buzzfeed, and franchesca chambers with the "daily mail" and michael steele is a republican strategist. i want to go to you, john. are you afraid of these people? because trump is apparently siccing the crowd, if you will, on the reporters. you know, it is something we've seen on tv. he does it over and over again, these people are scumbags, over and over, and he knows they're talking about the people in the room. >> the beard thing about announcers, when you go to a trump rally, the people you talk to, before he comes on and does his little schick, everyone's very nice to us, they let you do interviews, there's no, screw you, you're media, no punching hoirting, generally speaking, before. in recent times, we've had people heckling folks, before the rally starts. it's during the rally that things get really, really ugly.
4:34 pm
>> is he hopping people up? >> he is. he's spinning people up. and we see it on twitter -- >> do you think he's issuing a license, franchesca. is he licensing people, if you will, it's okay to yell epithets and give the finger -- >> he keeps bringing it up in his speeches and not telling them to stop. and i almost covered exclusively hillary clinton and bill clinton and the clintons. but you don't see this happening and she's not blaming the media for wikileaks and anything bad that happens to her with her e-mails or anything to that effect. that's part of the reason why you don't see the same hatred. >> but to be fair, pick up a major newspaper in new york, like "the new yorker," and every day, there's five or six stories. >> but that doesn't mean there's not five or six stories against her. >> there's numerous accounts with trump. >> there's an issue with making sure the reporters can do their job safely, and there's a bigger issue, which is the fact that he's losing. he knows these losing and he's laying the predicate to try to make for his supporters, at least, the results of the
4:35 pm
election invalid. that's terrifying. >> we just heard a moment ago, fred and colleen were talking there, in third world countries, even in russia, the trick is, if you're going to lose, blame it on a rigged system. and if you win, you arrest your opponent to make sure there's no more elections for a while. let's take a look at this scuffle that occurred down in greensboro, north carolina, between a protester -- look at this thing. look at what's going on here. a protester and a trumpian. i think the trumpian did the work there on that guy. jesus. there's a certain physicality here that's not part of american politics. usually people just, they yell at each other, they curse each other, at the worse. >> that's always been part of the trump thing. throw him out of here, get him out of here, it's always been part of his and schick. >> it's when that mob mentality. he knows how to tap into the
4:36 pm
anger and frustration that these people have and he turns it. and when he turns it on hillary, hillary's not in the room. he turns it on the establishment, the establishment's not in the room. but when he turns it on us, we're standing there. and oftentimes we're surrounded on all sides by the protesters and there's two secret service agents standing there, maybe two local cops, and that's it. and some of the stuff like i said on twitter -- >> did you ever feel like a scapegoat there? >> yeah, it's always scapegoat. he feels -- there's a story comes out, he look bad, so he blames up. everybody turns around and boos -- >> have you ever been scared at one of these things? >> not me, personally, because i haven't seen the behavior you're describing, because i've been mostly covering democrats for the past year and not republicans. but you're talking about the mob mentality. and the major question moving forward is whether all these people are going to come out and vote for him. whether he's going to really energyize him. and at the same time, the clinton camp is worried that all
4:37 pm
of this negative stuff we're hearing about will depress turnout on their side. people will get frustrated, this whole process is disgusting, and go watch cat videos. >> hate to break it to you, but most of the trump people would like to have ten votes to vote against hillary. and some of the people voting for hillary would like to have half a vote to vote for her. the enthusiasm of this thing is not balanced. >> but you have to have the turn those people out. >> the ones at the rallies will show up. >> they'll show up, but that's not everybody in america that you would need to vote for him. >> but isn't there a lot more -- be fair, isn't there a lot more oomph in voting for trump, a lot more statement there. if you're voting for trump, you're say something for life. >> the people who are excited about him are excited to vote for him because they think he represents change. and in two-thirds of the country thinks we're on the wrong track. people want change. they hate the washington establishment and nobody embodies that better than hillary clinton. >> the roundtable is staying with us. i thought that was a smart thing, she embodies washington
4:38 pm
and the success of the washington establishment in ruling this country. up next, these three will tell me something i don't know. this is "hardball," the place for politics. something new has arrived. uniquely designed for the driven. introducing the first-ever infiniti qx30 crossover. visit your local infiniti retailer today. infiniti. empower the drive.
4:39 pm
they said a bottle was just a bottle. that no one would ever notice me. but i knew i could be more. that one day, i would make people smile. [woman speaking indistinctly] at bp, we empower anyone to stop a job if something doesn't seem right, so everyone comes home safely.
4:40 pm
because safety is never being satisfied. and always working to be better.
4:41 pm
welcome back to "hardball." john, tell me something i don't know. >> well, what i would say that you don't know is i'm re-reeding a book from 1991 race and what it will tell you and i think a lot of your viewers is that the race problem in this country is the exact same as it was then. that we are still -- it's almost like reading an account that was just written yesterday. and it's a little terrifying that we have not got. anywhere in, you know, 15 years. in 25 years. >> it seems like that in chicago. >> yeah. >> well, this week, there were news stories about how bill clinton seemingly referred to donald trump supporters as rednecks, but he told me that's not what i was saying at all. and the explainer in chief explained to me what a difference between a redneck and a hillbilly is, which i will now share with you. >> jeff foxworthy --
4:42 pm
>> a redneck would be somebody like him. he said he was a redneck and he was very proud of that, because rednecks are somebody who comes from the south and if you are a hillbilly, you're someone who comes from a state that has mountains, instead. his state is both southern and it has mountains, so they have hillbillies and they also have rednecks, but he was not calling donald trump's supporters rednecks. >> what did he mean when he used the word, though? >> when he used the word, he meant that he, himself, is a redneck, because he is a southern protestant white working class voter. >> where's it come from, redneck? >> originally? >> i'm not -- >> it's from working the fields. sunburn on the back of your neck. anyway, john -- i mean, michael. >> fellow of the georgetown institute of politics this semester and i asked my kids this question. they had four different dorm rooms and there's no plaque to
4:43 pm
commemorate that dorm room. >> fred hyatt -- it's not fred hyatt michael steele, franchesca and michael stanton. we've been watching the presidential campaign go to a much darker place this week. we want to bring you an uplifting story. this is an upbeat story. you can take it. you haven't had one in a while. you're watching "hardball," the place for politics. if you're searching other travel sites to find a better price... ...stop clicking around... the lowest prices on our hotels are always at hilton.com. so pay less and get more only at hilton.com.
4:44 pm
we're now just five days
4:45 pm
away from the third and final presidential debate. and you can watch it all right here wednesday night coming up on msnbc. i'll be in las vegas at 7:00 eastern starting with a special edition of "hardball" that night. and brian williams and rachel maddow will join us at 8:00. hillary clinton and donald trump take the debate stage at 9:00 eastern. and stay with us all night for complete coverage. we love to do this. we'll be there for you. that's wednesday night here on msnbc. and we'll be right back. ng... grilled, glazed korean bbq shrimp. and try as much as you want of flavors like new parmesan peppercorn shrimp. just come in before it ends.
4:46 pm
g new cars. you're smart. you already knew that. but it's also great for finding the perfect used car. you'll see what a fair price is,
4:47 pm
and you can connect with a truecar certified dealer. now you're even smarter. this is truecar. welcome back to "hardball." as a young adventurer, richard blum learned early in his life that millions of people around the world who have been born to economic hardship have little prospect at changing their lives. so he's used his business skills for global development. he became a living philanthropist, pioneering new ways to reduce the burden of poverty around the world. his new book, "an accident of
4:48 pm
geography" is about the work that people like former president jimmy carter and the dalai lama have done to bring transformational change to developing countries and how others can follow their example. with me now, richard blum. thanks for joining us. your life is a mixture of adventure and doing good. and i was just thinking how different you are from donald trump. because donald trump said, if you're rich, flaunt it. flaunt your money. and only worry about the united states. you, on the other hand, have used your business know-how to focus on the world and developing it, you know, and also, worried about more than a world than just us. there is a bigger world out there. trump seems to only think about the united states. >> i think he couldn't be more wrong. for us not to worry about the rest of the world, one, it's the right thing to do. and two, it's in our interests. to not try to build friendships and help develop in places like nepal, where i've been going for 49 years, but also in latin america and our center at
4:49 pm
berkeley, the blum center for developing economies have kids that have been to 80 different countries. and what you want to do is make friends. maybe it's one by one. it's to take a village. one by one. >> yeah. >> and by the way, where you make the friendships is on the ground. a lot of these countries, you may not like the governments, you know, nepal is not a particularly good government. a lot of corruption there. we don't bother with the government. we go right to the villages. and i would say, just using nepal as an example, you've had peace corps kids there for over 60 years, you have people like our american himalayan foundation that touches 400,000 lives. and by the way, one of the things that we do, we started with ed hillary and the sherpas, the dalai lama and the tibetan
4:50 pm
refugees. our biggest project today is to keeping from young girls from being sold into prostitution. and i can't think of a worse example you may influence young then wrong way than what donald trump is doing. >> yeah. let me ask you about this amazing ability to mix ad vent you are with doing good in this world. it is not just consuming wealth. i was in the peace corps for two years in africa. aid great time with small business guys doing good work. you've went having an adventure. that is a great combination. >> i think you had an adventure, too. and as i said, kids that have been to 80 different countries out of berkeley and we're now in all ten campuses. we do work with george soros and the central european university in budapest. for me, every day is an adventure. you get out of bed and there is
4:51 pm
something you can do. >> you're focused on this human trafficking. my wife is involved in that. is this slavery? what goes on with these young women? >> slavery or worse. they have some we have now 15,000 young women in school being saved from being sold in nepal. i would say for the first ten years, we were over there, i was unaware of the problem. and by the way, you say, 15,000. there are 20,000 people, just from a little country like nepal, these girls, they go across the border into india and their families never see them again. i live in san francisco. you don't need to go to nepal to find it. oakland is full of trafficking. i understand it is the second largest criminal -- >> people bring people this as servants or prostitutes? how do they get them in in.
4:52 pm
>> it is a con game. the people that work for the government are in on it. they get paid off. so somebody comes along and these tend to be low caste hindu women. we have a husband for you or a good job for you in india. and they collect these girls and they wind up in the brothels and can't get out. >> let me ask but a guy i used to work for, jimmy carter. what is your experience with working with these former presidents around the world? >> i love them both. i've been on jimmy carter's board for about 15 years. i have been everywhere with him in africa. by the way, we never go to any place that's any good. what he's often doing is chasing the last one. he's basically had a lot to do with wiping out two diseases. guinea worm and river blindness and some other ones. when you go around africa and hear people speak about jimmy carter, nobody in this country has a better reputation in
4:53 pm
africa than jimmy carter. jimmy carter is 91. >> he is amazing. >> and we need -- by the way, i am involved in the clinton foundation. yes, i give clinton foundation money. i know what they do. and they do an enormous amount of good work. >> my son worked for him in rwanda and making sure the aides, the medicines didn't get in the wrong hands over there. that's an important job. >> an accident of geography by richard blum. thank you. when we return, let me finish with my thoughts on bob dylan who was awarded the nobel prize for literature. you're watching "hardball." the place for politics.
4:54 pm
4:55 pm
you shop online for the best deals on electronics, travel, even shoes. so why not loans? visit lendingtree.com today and get up to five free loan offers from competing lenders in under two minutes. then pick the best deal on mortgage loans, auto loans,
4:56 pm
personal loans, and a whole lot more. if you choose a loan, the lender pays us. that's how lendingtree® is completely free for you. and it's so easy you can do it right from your phone, right now. lendingtree®. when banks compete, you win.
4:57 pm
let me finish with something that not this depressing political campaign. of long belief our home grown politicians are not the best of us. i'm referring to those other people who get us to think more clearly and at a higher elevation who truly lead us, raise our sense of what it means to be a human being. i'll give you a couple names. one is winston churchill who stood against worst nemesis of the 20th century and for many months, did it how soon, and even without us. the other was earnest hemming way. getting others to whitewash that
4:58 pm
fence by saying it was cool to do it, he got us convinced it was cool to drive an ambulance and getting shot doing it. living in paris in the 1920s. tracking big game in east africa. marlin fishing off cuba and let's not forget writing. how many of us still want to write the great american novel because ernest wrote one. both were given the nobel prize for literature and yesterday they were joined in that honor by another leader of another kind. bob dylan. the author of rolling stone, blowing in the wind, the times they are achanging and how about, it ain't me, babe. all the times i listened to that song, i thought it was a rejected lover. maybe not. some believe it was his way of saying he didn't want to be the reliable troob dor. i'm an entertainer.
4:59 pm
he knew people believed in his words of the civil rights, but they were also enjoying them and getting to feel them along with him. they enjoyed being on what they judged to be, of course, the right side. i got it then i get it now. a lot of getting dylan comes from when you grew up i grew up on campus when thought happened. the anti-war movement led the edge to life. i was over in africa when i heard national skyline, when an english girl brought it back from school with her. another member of my generation, who speaks with authority on the real and deep connection between our music and our politics. his and mine. quote. this is clinton. if you look back on the sixes, on balance you think there was more good than harm, then you're probably a democrat. if you think there was more harm than good, you're probably a republican. that is clinton. i couldn't agree more and you probably agree too. i was there when bob dylan received the kennedy award honors. when it was time for dylan to be
5:00 pm
recognized and all the stiffs in the apartment seats sat there doing nothing, like stiffs. i stood and cheered. so i would do it again today. the nobel prize for lill literature goes to mr. bob dylan of the united states of america. that's "hardball" for now. thanks for being with us. "all in" with chris hayes starts right now. tonight on "all in." >> a liar. she is a liar. believe me. she would not be my first choice. that i can tell you. >> the republican nominee attacks his old accusers, literally as new accusers come forward. >> he just put his hands up my skirt. that's not okay. >> tonight, inside the campaign. that spinning conspiracy theiries and stocking damage control. >> we already have substantial evidence to dispute these lies. plu the art of defending trump. >> can you turn the microphone off so i can talk?

37 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on