Skip to main content

tv   In Other News  MSNBC  October 28, 2016 11:00pm-12:01am PDT

11:00 pm
trump to say something that changes everything. >> when he's had moments where he's surging, that's where he's gotten himself in trouble. and you have to wonder if the clinton campaign was holding something back you might have a news dump pretty soon. >> this would be the time for it. >> really appreciate it.
11:01 pm
11:02 pm
tonight he's getting slammed by democrats mostly for saying just enough about this investigation publicly to cause damage to the clinton campaign, and then there's trump campaign, their candidate almost foretold this odd series of events back in july. >> why are they giving hillary clinton briefings? because it's going to get revealed. i mean, her number one person, huma abedin, is married to anthony wiener. who's a sleaze ball and a pervert. and i'm not saying that, i mean, that's recorded history, right? i don't like huma going home at night and telling anthony wiener all of these secrets, okay?
11:03 pm
>> that was in july. director comey's actions today seemed to have changed the republican nominee's opinion of him. here is donald trump last night on the topic of the fbi. >> the system is rigged. and i think the biggest rigging of all is what's happened with the fbi and the justice department with respect he to hillary clinton. because she is so guilty in so many ways that she shouldn't be able to run for president. >> fast forward to today, and comey's letter got the highest possible compliment. >> donald trump. >> the fbi after discovering new e-mails is reopening their investigation into hillary clinton. [cheers and applause] >> as you know, i've had plenty of words about the fbi lately, but i give them great credit for having the courage to
11:04 pm
justice will prevail. >> earlier today, said donald trump, it may not be rigged after all. also, tonight on the trail in iowa, hillary clinton asked for more from the fbi director. >> i have now seen director comey's letter to congress. we are 11 days out from perhaps the most important national election of our lifetimes. voting is already underway in our country. so, the american people deserve to get the full and complete facts immediately. the director himself has said he doesn't know whether the e-mails referenced in his letter are significant or not. i'm confident whatever they are will not change the conclusion reached in july. therefore, it's imperative that the bureau explain this issue in question, whatever it is, without any delay. so, i look forward to moving
11:05 pm
forward to focus on the important challenges facing the american people, winning on november 8, and working with all americans to build a better future for our country. you know, i think people a long time ago made up their minds about the e-mails. i think that's factored in to what people think and now they're choosing a president. thank you all. >> this is going to make your campaign so much harder, isn't it? >> same way you did from the press. >> it has been a wild day and we want to begin tonight with our correspondents. the voice you heard asking hillary clinton how she found about this review. pete williams, our long-time nbc news justice correspondent in washington, pete, we'll begin with you, you remember on the story all day and we talked you into rejoining us on the night shift tonight. i heard your reporting initially
11:06 pm
this afternoon painting a picture of comey, damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. in the hours since, the coverage has taken a turn against him because of inserting himself into this campaign. bring us up to date on what is known. >> reporter: well, i think the fbi fully anticipated the kind of criticism they're getting, perhaps not the volume, but they knew that they would get criticized for this, and tonight, jim comey has sent a letter earlier. earlier, he sent a letter to fbi employees that we've now seen. it's pretty much echos the letter that he sent to members of congress, that there is a little more in it on this whole question of why he's speaking out or writing this letter to members of congress now. he says, as he did in the letter to congress, i feel an obligation to tell them that our, you know, given that i said before, he says that the investigation was complete, i felt an obligation to tell this to congress. and then he said this, i also think it would be misleading to the american people were we not to supplement the record.
11:07 pm
at the same time, given that we don't know the significance of this newly discovered collection of e-mails, i don't want to create a misleading impression. so, to step back here a little bit, brian, here's what happened. the fbi was investigating anthony weiner's potential texting and discovered that the laptop, one of the laptops he used that was also used by huma abedin to send e-mails to hillary clinton. now, that's pretty much the substance of it. so now the fbi says there's this new universe of e-mails that they have to look at, and given that their mission, in essence, in investigating the e-mail server issue was whether any classified information was on that, they had to look at the universe of e-mails sent to it. so, now they had these new e-mails that they're going to have to look at, see if they're classified and whether that makes any difference to the bottom line that the fbi reached and justice department agreed to in july that this is not something that would be prosecutable. so, they don't know what's in
11:08 pm
these e-mails. that's the point here. the pertinent thing that he talked about in his letter to congress, it's just that they've discovered some more e-mails, and it's possible that -- and they don't know this yet -- it's possible that many of them, theoretically all of them, some of them, were duplicates that they've already seen from looking at the e-mails that clinton turned over to the state department that were discovered otherwise by the fbi. so, that's really where we stand. they don't know what's in these e-mails, and it may be no legal significance to them at all, but they feel, comey said, that he had to tell congress about it. >> pete, this may call for a judgment on your part, the very kind of thing you try hard to prevent, but is it possible, comey did the right thing by the law, did the right thing by his congressional testimony, even did the right thing by his fellow fbi employees, but has done the wrong thing for his bosses, the customers, the constituents, the american people 11 days out from a
11:09 pm
presidential election. >> well, the first part of it is there's nothing that legally required him to tell congress about this. what he says in the letter is, i went up there and testified in july that we were basically done looking at the server question. and having told them that, now i know we're not, so i figured i had to go tell congress that. you know, he's been -- there's been considerable criticism of the fbi director for the kinds of things he said at the news conference, the fact that he sent all this information up to congress afterwards, the texts of interviews with almost everybody the fbi interviewed. it's very unusual, the whole -- i'm sure when this is all over a lot of people are going to be looking at whether this was the right thing to do, whether this was a blow for transparency or whether this was going too far, but what the fbi people tell me today is he felt he had to do this, that they were fully cognizant of what would happen if he did this and that they were equally cognizant that if
11:10 pm
this came out after the election, people would say, why didn't you reveal it then. so that was his judgment call and i think there will be a lot of questions in the months to come about whether it was the right one. >> all of this brings us to kristen welker who was flying with the traveling clinton campaign today. kristen, 24 hours ago on this broadcast, we were talking about who might be hillary clinton's secretary of state, the clinton campaign was guarding against over confidence. they have annie lebowitz flying on the plane today. you had no wi-fi on the plane, i understand, so you land, everyone's device comes to life, and suddenly the clinton campaign is thrown a huge problem. >> reporter: well, brian, that is almost exactly accurate. however, we did have spots of wi-fi, so let me walk you through the day because what unfolded was nothing short of stunning.
11:11 pm
to underscore the point that you are making, clinton campaign officials were holding what is referred to as a gaggle, a little mini-press conference with us on board their campaign plane to tout, essentially, their strength. in fact, the democrats are outpacing republicans in a number of these early voting states, a number of these key battleground states, telling us that they were going to go to arizona, that secretary clinton will be making a visit next week. a lot of us wrapped up that news conference and said that's going to be our headline for the day, the fact that secretary clinton is going to arizona. our wi-fi on the plane was very sketchy and then near the end of the flight, one of the reporters did access wi-fi, realized what was happening, asked a clinton campaign official about this while we were still in the air. the clinton campaign official said, i have no idea what you are talking about. the press core was absolutely stunned and said there must be some mistake and it wasn't until we got on the ground and had full access to our computers that we were able to see that
11:12 pm
these reports were, in fact, accurate. the clinton campaign was essentially in damage control mode from that moment forward, trying to determine how to respond to these reports. secretary clinton at various moments huddling with her top advisors and i can tell you that the strategy that they came up with was reflected in the statements that we heard from secretary clinton when she did finally address these reports at the end of her day, at the end of her second campaign event in iowa and the strategy is to say to director comey, give us all of the information. the campaign believes it's a sign of strength and they reiterated on the plane ride home here to new york, her top campaign aides did, that they feel confident that the e-mails will show that there was no classified information sent or received intentionally or anything that was marked as classified at the time. so, that is the strategy moving forward, and tomorrow, she heads to the big background state of florida, i will be with her and i can tell you that the strategy there will likely be to turn the
11:13 pm
page and put the focus back on getting voters out to vote. but this is the issue that has overshadowed her campaign more than anything else, brian. >> kristen welker on a cold street in white plains, new york, and pete williams ditto in our washington newsroom. thank you so much for helping us start off our broadcast on this confusing day. back in here to the studio, let's welcome our guest, former white house communications director and our political analyst nicole wallace with us along with "new york times" reporter michael schmidt. for the sharp eyed, his by line has been all over their developments today. so you get to start us off indoors. anything tonight we should know about? i know there's various reports about what may be thousands of e-mails. >> i was told tonight that there's tens of thousands of e-mails, maybe more than 30,000 e-mails. and the fbi hasn't really had a chance to go through them yet. and they're going to do the same process with these e-mails that they did with the other ones, go through them, are they work
11:14 pm
related, is there any information, then, that is classified. and that, as we saw, is a pain staking thing that can take a lot of time. this is months, not weeks. >> tonight, walter isaacson was on with lawrence and he called comey just during the a conversation, a boy scout. all the available reporting on the fbi director is that he does not protest that term and welcomes that term. little bit of an "untouchables" situation. as i mentioned at the top of the broadcast, above the fray, except that fray is going to come down on him so hard over this weekend. is he going to be forced to give out more information? >> so, yesterday, comey realized he had a decision. he could disclose this and have people question his judgment, or he could wait and risk this coming out and then be, you know, go down in history as someone who suppressed information. and he said, i can live with the questions about my judgment. i can't live with being someone who's going to be accused of
11:15 pm
suppressing it, and that's the decision he made and that's why he did what he did. >> nicole wallace, there's another option, according to our guest later, a former justice department official, which is, go on about the investigation, do it quietly, because this is an investigation, after all. but let's not put the cart before the horse. let's put it this way. democrats started this day, if you asked them about comey, he's a man of towering integrity, no party loyalty that we can find. republicans would have said he's crooked, corrupt, rigged like the rest of them. that is entirely flipped. >> entirely. >> in 12 hours. where do you put this thing? >> well, i mean, i think you've described it perfectly, and i think this is now -- you have to assume that voters have amnesia if you don't recognize that each side is now reading from the other script. so, i think what voters will process is two candidates who actually fought against their own worst instincts. hillary clinton went out and did a news conference more quickly than i've seen her respond to
11:16 pm
anything this entire cycle. i think it was zero plus about five and a half hours before she was in front of the press taking questions, not a lot of questions, but it is still notable that she was taking questions on this within hours. trump also overrode his bad instincts and managed to stay on message for, i think we're at zero plus is 11 hours now. both these campaigns are overriding the things that have tripped them up, the things that have made them the most unpopular nominees of either major party. what we have to watch for now is who lapses first, does she lapse back into sort of a u.n. press conference moment where she gives an answer where reporters can poke holes in it and make her relive this central weakness of her candidacy, which is a lack of transparency, or does trump step in it first? does he get in the way of a story that is sort of doing his work for him. >> and what about gender? the first woman on the precipice of becoming the first woman president, in a campaign that looking back dominated by sexual
11:17 pm
impropriety of opponent, husband, and estranged husband of closest aide. >> listen, this is going to depend on your perspective. as a woman, i think it helps to make the case for female leadership. i also just watched the weiner documentary, which i can't believe you haven't seen yet, but if you think about this as, what are the things standing between hillary clinton and having a successful 11 days, they are the counterattack to donald trump's outrageous language, which i have called textbook misogyny. it's an attack on her husband's infidelities. now, in the final stretch, she's dealing not with anything that her aide, that we know her aide did wrong, but an investigation that ensnared her closest aide's husband because he's essentially living a life as an online flasher. so i don't know, i think women may process this differently than men with all due respect.
11:18 pm
>> thank you both. what a confusing day into a confusing night. we're happy to have both of you at our table to help us through this. as i mentioned, after a break, we'll take on this question, did the fbi director act properly today? did he follow precedent for that matter? is there any given that we are in, as we like to say, the 11th hour of this campaign? we're back after this.
11:19 pm
11:20 pm
teachers, firefighters and nurss support prop 51. prop 51 repairs older schools and removes dangerous lead paint and pipes ensuring classrooms are safe for all students. for safe schools vote yes on 51.
11:21 pm
teachers, nurses and firefightes support prop 51. prop 51 will upgrade libraries, science labs, and classroom technology and relieve school overcrowding creating more opportunity . . . and better learning for students help students succeed vote yes on 51. we are back. as promised, matthew miller is with us. he was spokesman, director of
11:22 pm
public affairs under the attorney general and we should say he is a hillary clinton supporter. thank you very much for joining us tonight. i heard you on the air earlier today really saying this amounts to jurisprudential malpractice on the part of the fbi director. you were making the point he had another option open to him and that is continue this investigation and do it quietly, correct? >> yeah. it's the option that fbi directors, fbi agents, prosecutors have followed in other cases for years. it's the practice and the rule, the precedent that the justice department lives by. there are -- there are two things at play here, one that the justice department, and that includes prosecutors and fbi agents, aren't supposed to talk publicly about ongoing investigations. they're not supposed to talk to the press or congress and he long ago kind of blew through that rule with his press conference in july when he announced he was closing the
11:23 pm
case, but there's an even more relevant precedent here which is that the department goes out of its way not to do anything publicly, and sometimes even privately, not to even send subpoenas that might leak and become public close to an election if there's any chance that it will influence the election, if there's any chance it will become public and people will be able to use the justice department's actions to color the election. >> wasn't there de facto 60 day before an election rule. >> that's exactly right. that's 60 days, the kind of rule that the department has followed for years and years, it's not a written rule but it's something that's been practiced, let alone 11 days, as close as we are. you know, if you could -- you could see in some cases where, you know, if there was evidence that a public official had committed wrong doing and you were ready to bring an indictment, then maybe you'd have an argument for doing it before the election so voters could know. but that's not where we are here. we're looking at a case where they're just going to look at some e-mails and you're seeing more reports that many of them
11:24 pm
could be duplicates of things they've already looked at. to make this announcement so close to the election is a real gross abuse of his power that, you know, when the election's over and things settle down, i hope it's something that congress will actually examine much more closely. >> the vagueness of the letter caused instant phone calls all around washington. that caused, as we said at the top, instant leaks that, oh, look at this, anthony weiner is the subject of an investigation, which is what he presumably was trying to avoid. >> yeah, that's right. and i saw the, you know, i saw some of the reporting that they felt damned if they do, damned if they don't, so they might as well go ahead and report this. they were going to be criticized, comey would be criticized if he didn't send this letter. well, the fbi director is a big job, it's an important job, and sometimes you have to make tough calls and take the heat, and one of the things you're supposed to do is do your work privately, come forward with a decision when you're done, and take the heat.
11:25 pm
and you know, time and time again, he's been unwilling to follow that practice and instead has kind of, you know, offered these big public demonstrations where he always seems designed to show his independence, show his integrity and in fact, you know, i think in this case, in the case in july when he had the press conference which violated some doj rules, he's ended up doing the opposite. >> maybe people will download the weiner documentary and "the untouchables" over the weekend. matthew miller, wish this wasn't deadly serious stuff we're discussing here. thank you very much for joining our conversation tonight. >> thank you. >> another break for us, and coming up, an answer to the question we heard all day, how much of the early vote is already in and recorded? this is "the 11th hour" on msnbc. @!@!
11:26 pm
11:27 pm
11:28 pm
11:29 pm
last thing before we go here tonight, a question we heard a lot of today, especially a lot of democrats were asking, how much of the early vote is already in? well, with ten-days to go until election day, almost 10% of registered voters in this country have already voted. that translates to nearly 17 million votes in and recorded nationwide in this election. almost half of the early votes have been cast in the 12 background states, but early voting in some form is underway in 35 of the 50 states. at the current rate, the early vote is coming in by, give or take, 1 to 2 million votes a
11:30 pm
day. that does it for this special friday night edition of "the 11th hour." we will look to see you back here on monday evening. "hardball" with chris matthews begins now. have a good weekend. october surprise, let's play hardball. good evening, i'm chris matthews from washington. we begin with the breaking news some are calling an october surprise. the fbi is now reviewing new recently uncovered e-mails related to hillary clinton's private e-mail server. in a letter sent to the senate judiciary committee, fbi director james comey said in connection with an unrelated case, the fbi has learned of the existence of e-mails that appear to be pertinent to the investigation. i agreed with the fbi should take appropriate investigative steps designed to allow
11:31 pm
investigators to review these e-mails to determine whether they contain classified information as well to assess their importance to our investigation. close quote. well, hillary clinton addressed the issue at a press conference with reporters in des moines. >> i have now seen director comey's letter to congress. we are 11 days out from perhaps the most important national election of our lifetimes. voting is already underway in our country. so, the american people deserve to get the full and complete facts immediately. the director himself has said he doesn't know whether the e-mails referenced in his letter are significant or not. i'm confident whatever they are will not change the conclusion reached in july. >> anyway, senior law enforcement official told nbc news that the comey letter was sent to the hill out of an abundance of caution and to be extra thorough. well, the official said the e-mails were discovered on another device, multiple federal
11:32 pm
officials also told nbc news today that fbi director comey found the new e-mails as part of the ongoing investigation into former congressman anthony weiner, the estranged husband of clinton's closest aide, huma abedin. "the new york times" reported the e-mails were discovered when electronic devices were seized from weiner. they investigated inappropriate text messages and messages that weiner sent to a 15-year-old girl in north carolina. i spoke to mike pence on the campaign trail in pennsylvania. >> what do you make of the fact that this came from the anthony weiner investigation and somehow had to do with e-mail going to and from, perhaps, the clinton people, hillary clinton perhaps herself and her very close aide, huma abedin, and which was apparently the same e-mail address used by her husband, anthony weiner. what do you make of the fact that that was the source of these new e-mails? nbc's just determined that. >> well, if that bears out, and
11:33 pm
that is in fact the case, i think it also speaks about the forthrightness and the integrity of the department of justice and the director of the fbi then in an unrelated investigation, they came across new pertinent information related to hillary clinton's operation of a private server, and the potential that she further compromised classified information in this country. i think the fact that they're drawing that from another investigation is another reason to commend them. but look, we recognize this is a -- this is as dramatic a choice in an election as i've ever witnessed in my lifetime, literally, we have in hillary clinton someone who's not only got a career of this pay to play politics and all of -- all of the noise and smoke around her years as secretary of state and the clinton foundation, but as i said here in the suburbs of philadelphia today, when it comes to national security, when it comes to our military, our
11:34 pm
place in the world, when it comes to reviving our economy, our supreme court, the choice could not be more dramatic so the american people deserve all the information about all these candidates and that's why we're encouraging the fbi to come forth and my understanding is john podesta made the same request today, come forth with this information so that the american people can make their decision with all the facts. >> well, to not properly handle classified information, is that a disqualifying factor for a candidate for president? if it comes out that she mishandled information intentionally that was classified? is that a disqualifier? >> it certainly is a disqualifier for me, but every -- every voter in this country will make that decision. but you know, it really is remarkable, as i said in our vice presidential debate, if either my son or tim kaine's son, both of whom are serving our country as marines, mishandled classified information the way hillary clinton did, they'd be at least court-martialed. we see one case after another who faced appropriately severe
11:35 pm
consequences for mishandling classified information and the that is correct that we have evidence of this, the private server that came out because of disclosures by "the new york times" and now these e-mails have come forward, i think at the end of the day every voter will make their own decision but for me, for my house, i truly do believe her record as well as the fact that she obviously mishandled classified information, had a private server that compromised the security of the united states of america certainly disqualifies her to serve in the highest office in the land. >> well, let's just run through these, the recap. first of all, john podesta in that note you mentioned, the chairman of the clinton campaign said they're not reopening the campaign and you say they're reinitiating the campaign. what's the difference? >> well, i think, you know, this is not really a time to parse words. >> well, is reopen a good word or not? >> well, i think when the director of the fbi, chris, says
11:36 pm
that they found new pertinent information concerning the investigation into hillary clinton's use of a private server, that means that they are moving forward and reopening the investigation that he had previously announced was closed. i think that's pretty obvious to most americans, but you know, the facts here are what's most important, not the semantics, and you know, the one thing john podesta and i can agree on is the american people have a right to know. >> more than -- i guess that's my next question. i'm not clear on you. do you believe that you should have -- that they are saying in the podesta letter, he is saying in his statement that the campaign for hillary clinton believes more information should be released by the fbi than they have released. do you believe that or just simply reproduce the letter that was sent to the committee chairs on capital hill? do you want further information on what's going on at the fbi in terms of this investigation, more information? >> yes, absolutely. i assume that the mechanism of our judicial system is underway to obtain access to that
11:37 pm
additional pertinent information that's referred to, but it's actually what is in those documents, what do they show that's pertinent to the investigation of hillary clinton's use of a private server during her term as secretary of state. i think those documents may well be e-mail documents that should be made public and they need to be made public in the next 11 days. the american people are -- there's voting going on right now, not here in pennsylvania, but in states all over the country early voting is already underway. there's hundreds of thousands of people in state after state that have already cast their vote, but the american people deserve to know, they have a right to know what this new information is and the substance of that should be in the public domain before this election is over. >> last question. if all we get is the statement we got from the director of the fbi today that they're relooking into this investigation as to how hillary clinton handled her classified information, how should that affect the voter? you have a chance right now to say so on national television.
11:38 pm
how should this information we got today affect how people vote regarding this presidential election? >> i think millions of americans are deeply troubled by the pay to play politics and the benefits that favored few, that's in evidence of what's already out about hillary clinton's years as secretary of state, the operation of a clinton foundation, we found out "the washington post" story this week about clinton incorporated where donors to the foundation were also encouraged to hire and provide personal income to former president clinton. you know, the american people are tired of this kind of politics that benefits the favored few and it's exactly the kind of politics that's going to end the day that donald trump becomes president of the united states of america. but i think the fact, chris, that now that the democratic party, the democrat nominee for president of the united states is under investigation by the fbi should be relevant to every american, they need to -- they need to think about that,
11:39 pm
reflect on that, because i truly do believe in donald trump we have the opportunity for a fresh start in a america back to a stronger more prosperous america and put all this -- all this fast and loose ethics of the clintons behind us once and for all. >> those people out in the crowds yelling, i know you don't agree with their language, but when they yell, lock her up, are they going to feel justified by this report from the fbi today, those people who yell that every time there's a trump rally? >> well, i think the emotion that you see at trump rallies around the country is -- is a frustration of the american people that when it comes to the clintons, they just seem to operate by a different set of rules and held to a different set of standards. but today, with this action by the director of the fbi, i think millions of americans can be encouraged that our justice department is once again, it's come across additional pertinent information about hillary clinton and they've reaffirmed the principle that no one is above the law. >> thank you very much, governor
11:40 pm
mike pence of indiana, candidate for vice president of the united states, thanks for coming on "hardball" tonight. thank you, sir. >> thank you, chris. >> up next, the "hardball" round table will be here. what will this mean for the election now just days away. you're watching "hardball," the place for politics.
11:41 pm
11:42 pm
11:43 pm
hillary clinton's corruption is on a scale we have never seen before. we must not let her take her criminal scheme into the oval office. >> welcome back to "hardball," anyway, today's bomb shell couldn't come at a better time for donald trump, of course, the five most recent national polls had secretary clinton ahead of trump, anywhere from 3 points, i love this range to, 14 points. anyway, today's news may shift
11:44 pm
the enthusiasm towards has campaign. for more i'm joined by round table tonight, the boston globe's annie linsky, washington post columnist eugene robinson and a "usa today" senior political recorder, heidi. let's start here. if all we get is that little squeezy statement from the fbi director. >> i think if that's it, and i don't think it will be it, i think there will be more, i think comey's going to have to talk, but i think this ultimately blows over and the election is still advantage clinton. i mean -- >> no loss in points? >> maybe she loses a little bit because of voter suppression, maybe there are some of those republicans that were maybe going to vote for her and they decided to stay home instead and that goes advantage to trump ultimately. but yeah, it's bad, but i don't know that it's game changing or outcome changing. >> so the news suppresses as well as republicans. i never heard the word used like that.
11:45 pm
>> i think it gives trump a closing argument. he didn't really have one and now he has one. he's got something to focus on. i assume this will be the closing argument because he wasn't doing too well with the flailing he was doing the last couple of weeks. so, it may give his campaign a focus, and you know, on the margins, i think it probably helps him with perhaps -- with some republicans, perhaps a little more enthusiasm among the trump followers who thought that it was probably lost anyhow and might have been tempted to stay home. maybe they'll come out. i struggle to see how it makes a major change in the basic situation of the race, but we'll see. comey may well have to come out and say something. >> i think you raised a key question, chris, and that is how trump handles it. because i do think annie's right, that at some point, comey is -- the pressure on him is going to be overwhelming and
11:46 pm
while he can't give us a lot of information, we've already seen from the leaks that they can start to take things off the table. so, if trump is out there saying, you know, where are the handcuffs, put her in jail, and then some of this stuff comes out, like, oh, actually, these are all duplicate e-mails or you know something. >> or we haven't read them yet. that seems incredible. >> to kind of clarify this a little bit. >> did you like mike pence? pence handled it rather soberly, i thought. >> i thought that was the right way to handle it because i think he knows and there's even some sources saying that people who have started to already look at this think this is not a game changer. again, this is all unsourced. that you really run the risk of overplaying your hand and the worst way -- >> what else did they have? >> donald trump -- i mean, if he did not overplay -- >> it's the only game they've got. >> that's been the case from the beginning, chris. if you talk to a lot of people who betting odds from the very beginning, the way that hillary
11:47 pm
clinton and possibly the only way it could have been brought down is on e-mails and when that disappeared, this race really started to -- >> and the idea of an indictment, really, that she should be indicted with seemingly game changing and the idea that there could -- that that could change and there would be an indictment in the next 11 days is preposterous, i think. >> it's like the redskins score on defense. anyway -- local concern of this part of the country. anyway, this thing about trump and his inability to do something sort of reasonably, i saw it again today. i mean, the lock her up thing is so unfair unless you're a hillary hater every morning, every day -- morning is probably the right time, they get up and hate her. >> i think you're kellyanne conway, you want to lock him in a room somewhere and get him not to see anything because time and time again in this cycle, you've lad bad news for hillary clinton and then donald trump somehow finds a way. >> it does -- there's two more women who's came out today and we're not talking about them.
11:48 pm
>> have you watched this network and it's probably the same on all the major able networks and the broadcast networks, the picture of anthony weiner is back on television. all over the place, smelling up this thing and if the republicans have any brains or money left, they're going to make him hillary's running mate, like they did willie horton. they're going to put up this thing and say, do you want to vote for weiner? >> whether there's any there doesn't matter because it's going to bury a lot of these other headlines. >> here's donald trump back in july going after secretary clinton because her top aide was married to -- still married to anthony weiner. let's watch. >> why are they giving hillary clinton briefings? because it's going to get revealed, i mean, her number one person, huma abedin, is married to anthony weiner who's a sleazeball and a pervert. and i'm not saying that -- i
11:49 pm
mean, that's recorded history, right? i don't like huma going home at night and telling anthony weiner all of these secrets, okay? >> well there's a lead. did he get the heads up with this fbi report or what? this was a while ago. >> that's the thing about trump, so often the things that he says that seem crazy end up having this kernel of truth to them later and that's what his gut seems to be right. >> between huma and -- i mean, it's e-mail to be blunt about it. they have the same laptop with different e-mail -- well, they used different e-mail addresses, same laptop but somehow the fbi is able to find out, how do they do that? does anybody know how it's done? >> i have no idea. >> well, let me tell you. they do have the ability. >> they do it a lot. >> hillary clinton was asked about the investigation's connection to anthony weiner. let's watch that. >> secretary clinton, there are
11:50 pm
some reports that this -- these e-mails were found on devices that belonged to your aide, huma abedin, and her husband, anthony weiner. have you spoken to huma? was she able to give you any information about that? >> you know, we've heard these rumors. we don't know what to believe and i'm sure there will be even more rumors. that's why it is incumbent upon the fbi to tell us what they're talking about, jeff. because right now, your guess is as good as mine and i don't think that's good enough. >> that's not true. nbc has determined that it did come from that investigation of anthony weiner, whether you like it or not, madam secretary, it's a fact. but this attempt by her to blame it on the republican fbi director by saying he only sent the report out to republican -- >> not smart. not smart. and she said that. because the democrats have spent all this -- they spent months praising james comey as kind of this very impartial arbiter and hailing him and now in the first kind of shot across the bow to
11:51 pm
kind of -- even suggest that he's in -- >> remember the dinah washington song, the great single, "what a difference a day makes." >> it's true. and i just keep reminding myself that there are 11 more of those things left, 11 more days. >> yes. >> and so i wouldn't be surprised. >> anyway, annie, thank you, jane, your wisdom is overpowering sometimes. thank you so much. when we return, let me finish with my election diary for tonight. friday, october 28, you didn't think it would happen this late in the week, did you, as the campaign gets rocked by another bomb shell. you're watching "hardball," the place for politics.
11:52 pm
11:53 pm
11:54 pm
election diary friday, october 28, 2016. well, today the fbi director put out word that the bureau is looking into e-mails related to its previous probe of hillary clinton. nbc learned that the e-mails were gathered in a separate
11:55 pm
probe of new york's anthony weiner. so here we have again one investigation that has opened the door to another, the way ken starr's probe of the death of vince foster and white water led to the paula jones case and then to the matter of monica lewinsky. so now we have these e-mails. friday night's a bad night to make predictions. the hillary e-mail stir will run through sunday of course and will have two effects on the presidential campaign. it will hearten republican campaigners and will cause doubt among those voters who had moved to hillary as an alternative, rather than a desired designation. december destination. so if we get that this is a probe brought back to life, this will depend on how to candidates deal with it. if trump is unusually calm and nonhysteric, he will gain some points. if hillary clinton offers a strong front, takes the small hit, and moves on, she could limit the impact to that. a few lost states with still a
11:56 pm
strong probability to win the election. maybe this fbi stir this weekend will be the one last test of political fitness, not because of what it contains because we won't know that until afterwards, but because of how this pair of candidates handle its. keep watching. that's "hardball" for now. thanks for being with us.
11:57 pm
11:58 pm
11:59 pm
12:00 am
>> the stories you're about to see were reported in the news between april 29th and may 1st 1992. >> it was a stunning thing to see. tanks rolling down the streets in los angeles. >> beatings, riots, and flames consumed the headlines and eclipsed other national news. >> jeffrey dahmer came back to face justice. >> 15 human bodies preserved in a refrigerator. >> the fbi's biggest kidnapping investigation in years. >> it happens all the time. there are lots of other really big deal stories. >> sidney reso headed to work

72 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on