Skip to main content

tv   Lockup Tampa - Extended Stay  MSNBC  December 17, 2016 10:00pm-11:01pm PST

10:00 pm
due to mature subject matter, viewer discretion is advised. a surprise attack on a sheriff's deputy takes an unexpected turn. >> i just snapped and i decided to choke out a deputy. >> a convicted rapist loses his cool in court. >> i'm becoming irritated. i'm becoming impatient. it's a ticking time bomb. >> and an accused murderer in a high-profile case. >> hello? >> -- tries to cash in on her notoriety. >> 150,000 will cover everything i need.
10:01 pm
♪ ♪ ♪ >> talk, man. why y'all outside? y'all get behind the door. come on, y'all. >> at the hillsborough county jail in tampa, florida, 24-year-old rookie deputy maurice pressey has learned to deal with the intimidation factor of his job. >> first day by myself, i'd be lying if i didn't tell you i was nervous. it's 72 on one. >> pressey, who is unarmed during his shifts, is the only deputy locked in a housing unit with 72 inmates. most are not convicted, but are
10:02 pm
in jail awaiting trial for charges including assault, robbery and murder. >> when you tell people what you do, they say, man, i don't see how you do it. 72 people, you know, all walks of life, that done all types of crime. >> at many jails, officers monitor units like this from secured control centers. but at hillsborough county, they spend their shifts on the floor in the open. it's a system known as direct supervision and it has been proven to reduce violence in other problems by allowing deputies to build a rapport with the inmates. >> if you like dealing with people, this is a great place to work. i love dealing with people, that's why my degree is in sociology. >> but pressey and every other deputy in the jail knows that violence can erupt suddenly, as an incident two years earlier dramatically illustrated. a 64-year-old deputy was working at his desk in the housing unit just as inmates were finishing lunch. suddenly, inmate douglas burden rushes him and puts him in a
10:03 pm
potentially fatal choke hold. as several other inmates jump into the fray, one of them reaches in and grabs the deputy's radio. >> the radio call that came across was unlike any other, because it wasn't a deputy signal. the inmate stated "emergency, 911," and deputy moon was on the floor being attacked by mr. burden. >> deputy lorie garcia was among those who responded. >> there were a number of inmates around him as well and we weren't sure exactly how all that transpired. all we knew is that the inmate was calling for our aid, so if he's on the radio, then the deputy obviously does not have any control at that time. come to find out, the inmates had come to his aid. the other inmates took the inmate down and deputy moon was able to get back up on his feet, and if it wasn't for the inmates in that pod, that really cared
10:04 pm
about their deputy, deputy moon might not have been with us. it might have been a really, really bad day. and it happened so quickly, but by that time, we were all there, but it happens that fast. so, as much as we say that we have each other's support, it's nice to know that you've got a handful of them in orange that care. >> while the deputy who has since retired, might have been vulnerable working alone in the unit, the relationships he built under that system are what saved his life, and building those relationships is important to the former secret service agent who runs the jail. >> in that case, the inmates rescued him because they liked him, because he was a good guy. he was fair. he didn't judge them. he didn't condemn them. so, fortunately on that day, burden's intentions were thwarted by the goodwill of the inmates and the reaction from the community really across the country was unbelievable. we had people calling us from as far away from california offering to buy those inmates gifts. >> burden is now held in the jail's more restrictive
10:05 pm
confinement unit where inmates are locked in their cells 23 hours a day. >> i'm a pretty straight guy. if it wasn't for experimenting with drugs and all, i'd still be in the military, still doing good, but i'm in jail because it was a mistake that led to other mistakes. i just can't wait to get out, no matter what it takes. i want to get out. >> since the attack, deputies take extra precautions when dealing with burden. >> he's a big security concern for us, because if he's done that once, he'll do it again. >> these are the names i want you to remember because these are the ones that have histories of assaulting us. burden, who is in mod 4. >> when he's taking his meds he's pretty docile. when he's not taking his meds, that's when he becomes violent. with inmates that are more high-risk like that, we're using the most security precautions with, we're going to do it in numbers. at least two deputies, sometimes three, maybe four. it's basically safety in numbers.
10:06 pm
you know, when we have the show of force, it really defuses their opportunities. >> we're good down here, serge. >> the violent attack is the latest incident in a life that has tragically unraveled since burden worked his way up to the rank of sergeant in the marine corps. >> during high school, i was good in wrestling, but my grades wasn't good enough to go to college, so i decided to go into the marine corps. i went to parris island for boot camp and it was fine from there on in. the base is like a little city and it's like we got in our own family and they got everything that you need. they got all kinds of education, all kind of courses for leadership. and so, it's a real good place to be in the marine corps. >> during his fifth year in the marines, burden took a medical discharge when he was diagnosed with schizoprenoform, a mental disorder defined by mental spells and delusions. >> i hallucinate and i disappear from work, a whole bunch of
10:07 pm
things i thought was going on inside my head. i decided to go out and go back to my family and just take things easy. >> six months after leaving the military, burden was arrested after he crashed his car into security gates at tampa international airport. >> i thought people were chasing me. i thought people were trying to kill me, so that explains it all running to the gate. i was trying to get away. >> burden admits taking four ecstasy tablets that night and prosecutors say he had almost 300 tablets in his glove box. >> decided to take those pills and that's when it went all downhill from there. >> burden is charged with drug trafficking, driving under the influence, and now, attempted murder of a law enforcement officer. he's pled not guilty and is awaiting a hearing to determine if he is mentally fit to stand trial. >> my lawyer got back with me, he said he seen me not competent at the time of the crime but competent now to proceed with the trial. i want to hurry up and get on
10:08 pm
with the trial so i can get out of here. >> while burden's attack inside the jail made national news, dee dee moore made headlines for what she allegedly did outside the jail. like most inmates at hillsborough county, moore has not been convicted of a crime but is in jail awaiting trial. >> i was charged with first-degree murder of my friend abraham shakespeare. he was a florida lottery winner and they said that i siphoned off his money and killed him, and i didn't do that. i don't like that and i'm not going to be a part of that. they're saying that i shot him twice in the chest and that he died and that i buried him and that i hid his death. >> moore says she's anything but a cold-blooded killer. >> i'm like a big kid. i like disney and mickey mouse
10:09 pm
and tinkerbell and stuff. i would love a world where i lived at walt disney world all day. >> but for the past eight months, moore has been living in a very different world, the jail's female confinement unit, where she is held in her cell away from other inmates, due in part to the intense media coverage of her case. >> because she's in the news and because of her charges. if you put her back in a pod, you don't know how another inmate is going to react to what she is allegedly accused of. so for her own safety, it's better that she's back here. >> moore has collected some of the many newspaper reports on her case. >> "woman charged in millionaire's murder pleads not guilty." i used to cry, opening these up. i don't any more. i'm over it. >> why? >> because i'm not this kind of person. this is a person that i'm not. >> prosecutors say moore, who has pled not guilty, befriended the $30 million jackpot winner
10:10 pm
and conned him out of a large share of his fortune and then killed him. the victim, abraham shakespeare, is seen in this home video shot by moore. >> do you get tired for people asking you for money all the time, babe? >> i didn't, uh, a year ago. >> you just ready to start living your life, huh? >> they don't take no for an answer, so, they just keep on and keep on asking. >> investigators found shakespeare's body under a cement slab in the backyard of a home owned by moore. >> they're saying i premeditated it. they're saying i planned it out. i'm planning to go in my own yard, planned to keep the gun that i shot him with, i planned to keep everything for evidence for them to make it simple. i would never be that much of an idiot, if i did do it to put it in my yard, use my gun. there's no way you can think i
10:11 pm
did this. >> if there's a bright side to moore's incarceration, it's the media coverage has made her a popular figure. >> all but one piece for dorice moore. >> dee dee is pretty popular. >> oh, yes. most high-profile cases are. yes, they get a lot of fan mail, so they end up corresponding back and forth with each other. oh, yeah, she enjoys the attention she gets. >> i get them all the way from minnesota, california, new york. >> that's for you. >> they say they like me, and they've seen me on television. >> much of moore's mail comes from men who are in jails and prisons across the country. >> some are nice. some do freak me out. like, i had this one guy have a six-page letter of what he wants to do to me when i get out. he's charged with high-profile, charged with a crime of killing several people. he talks about fingertips
10:12 pm
caressing your body while saliva seduces your breast. i just think it's hilarious that somebody would even write something like this. you don't get a "hi, how are you doing" letter. it's a letter on how he wants to sex you, the first letter, you know what i mean? it's kind of like, you know how you have a first date and a second date and maybe by the third date, you kiss the guy? this goes straight to the point. that's not how you do things. you wonder why you're in jail. >> but moore thinks the attention her case is getting might just help her get out of jail. >> i've come up with a plan. i'm going to sell my story and that will obtain a lawyer that can get me out now. i only need $200,000. >> hey, dee dee. >> coming up -- >> hey! >> -- dee dee moore tries to broker a deal. >> tell them i will film next week on it. i'm ready to go now. >> but first -- >> mr. harris is, in my 25 years of law enforcement, one of the most manipulative, conniving people i've ever encountered. >> a high-profile rapist does
10:13 pm
little to improve his reputation. >> everybody thinks i'm a ted bundy type character, and i'm not. ♪ ♪ i tried hard to quit smoking. ♪ but when we brought our daughter home that was it. ♪ now i have nicoderm cq. the nicoderm cq patch with unique extended release technology helps prevent your urge to smoke all day. it's the best thing that ever happened to me. can you say thanks nicoderm cq? every great why needs a great how. says it won't let up for a while.
10:14 pm
the cadillac xt5... what should we do? ...tailored to you. wait it out. equipped with apple carplay compatibility. ♪ now during season's best, get this low mileage lease on this cadillac xt5 from around $429 per month, or purchase with 0% apr financing. what bad knee?u'll ask what throbbing head? advil makes pain a distant memory nothing works faster stronger or longer what pain? advil. we catch flo, the progressive girl, at the supermarket buying cheese. scandal alert! flo likes dairy?! woman: busted! [ laughter ] right afterwards we caught her riding shotgun with a mystery man. oh, yeah! [ indistinct shouting ] is this your chauffeur? what?! no, i was just showing him how easy it is to save with snapshot from progressive. you just plug it in and it gives you a rate based on your driving. does she have insurance for being boring?
10:15 pm
[ light laughter ] laugh bigger. [ laughter ] ways wins. especially in my business. with slow internet from the phone company, you can't keep up. you're stuck, watching spinning wheels and progress bars until someone else scoops your story. switch to comcast business. with high-speed internet up to 10 gigabits per second. you wouldn't pick a slow race car.
10:16 pm
then why settle for slow internet? comcast business. built for speed. built for business. lined with luxury homes on one side and the ocean on the other, bayshore boulevard is one of the best drives there is in tampa, florida. it's also the location of a high-profile crime that captivated the city. the offender is currently in the hillsborough county jail. >> in the press, i'm bayshore rapist, because it happened on bayshore boulevard. five days ago, i was convicted. i didn't think i was going to be convicted. >> luis harris is awaiting sentencing after being found guilty by a jury on all counts of sexual battery, kidnapping,
10:17 pm
impersonating a police officer, grand theft, and fraudulent use of credit cards. >> the defendant is guilty of sexual battery as charged. the defendant is guilty of kidnapping as charged. >> i felt weak at my knees. i started crying. i became very emotional. i stopped paying attention to the rest of the verdict that was being read, once the first guilty verdict came back. i already knew what was going to be there after. >> prosecutors say six months earlier, harris, who once attended a police academy, posed as an undercover cop and pulled over a woman driving along bayshore boulevard late at night. he handcuffed the 28-year-old woman, put her in the back seat of his car and withdrew money from her bank account at an atm. then he raped her. >> i never denied having sex with her. i admitted having sex with her. >> harris says he pulled her over after she was driving
10:18 pm
erratically. >> i was behind her. and she was swerving back and forth. she hit the curve the second time, she turned her flashers on. she stopped. i pulled up beside her. i rolled down my window. she couldn't hear me so i pulled up in front of her. i asked her if she was okay. we ended up pull off of bayshore boulevard into a side street where we talked. >> harris says the encounter led to sex and that after the woman left, he noticed that she left her wallet in his car. he admits to using her credit card soon after in an atm and a local casino, but he denies raping her. >> it hurts. people know me as the bayshore rapist, when i know i'm not, when i know i didn't rape anybody. >> the trial made headlines from the start, when harris decided to represent himself. then throughout the trial, he frequently clashed with the judge, who admonished him for not following instructions and for his emotional outbursts. >> what they're not telling you it shall -- >> sit down. right now, get him out of the courtroom right now. get him out right now. don't say another word, mr.
10:19 pm
harris. right now. >> during the trial, harris was incarcerated at hillsborough county jail in a housing unit for high-profile inmates. he was no more popular with the man who runs the jail than he was with the judge. >> mr. harris is, in my 25 years of law enforcement, probably one of the most manipulative, conniving, condescending people that i've ever encountered, in my opinion. he was difficult for the staff, no matter how much respect you afforded him, no matter how well you treated him, he found a way to try to turn it. >> but harris says is he simply misunderstood. >> i feel like everybody looks at me like a ted bundy type character, and i'm not. when i see myself in the paper, i think to myself, if people really knew who i was and how i really am, they would know i didn't rape anybody, i didn't kidnap anybody.
10:20 pm
the people that do know me, my friends, they know me. my family, they know me. so, it's surreal, it's heartbreaking, depressing, and i wish i could change things, but i can't. coming up -- >> you could trust me. >> douglas burden prepares to defend himself for the attack on a sheriff's deputy. and dee dee moore launches a media blitz. >> can you try to call like abc and see if they'll do it for $200,000? ♪ [burke] at farmers, we've seen almost everything,
10:21 pm
so we know how to cover almost anything. even a rodent ride-along. [dad] alright, buddy, don't forget anything! [kid] i won't, dad... [captain rod] happy tuesday morning! captain rod here. it's pretty hairy out on the interstate.traffic is literally crawling, but there is some movement on the eastside overpass. getting word of another collision. [burke] it happened. december 14th, 2015. and we covered it. talk to farmers. we know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two. ♪ we are farmers. bum-pa-dum, bum-bum-bum-bum ♪ ...one of many pieces in my i havlife.hma...
10:22 pm
so when my asthma symptoms kept coming back on my long-term control medicine. i talked to my doctor and found a missing piece in my asthma treatment with breo. once-daily breo prevents asthma symptoms. breo is for adults with asthma not well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. breo won't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden breathing problems. breo opens up airways to help improve breathing for a full 24 hours. breo contains a type of medicine that increases the risk of death from asthma problems and may increase the risk of hospitalization in children and adolescents. breo is not for people whose asthma is well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. once your asthma is well controlled, your doctor will decide if you can stop breo and prescribe a different asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. do not take breo more than prescribed. see your doctor if your asthma does not improve or gets worse. ask your doctor if 24-hour breo could be a missing piece for you. see if you're eligible for 12 months free at mybreo.com.
10:23 pm
i've come up with a plan. >> at the hillsborough county jail in tampa, dee dee moore is making the most of her time in the women's confinement unit where she's locked in her cell 23 hours a day. >> i'm going to sell my story and that will obtain a lawyer that can get me out now. >> moore is charged with the murder of florida state lottery winner abraham shakespeare. but she says she didn't do it. >> i have nothing to hide. most people have stuff to hide because they probably really did it. i didn't do any of it. so, i wanted to air my side of
10:24 pm
the story. my whole life is an open book right now. >> a book that moore has already started to write. >> it's called "one step closer to crazy," and it's about everything that took place. "i floated through life with a happy illusion of joy and peace, i always ignored everything that was unpleasant, i believed in magic and rainbows. so why does every fairytale have to come to an end? why do all fairy tales have to have dragons, evil, trolls, terrors that always snap us back? why is it always good versus evil? evil always has to come right back in our lives?" i'm focused on getting my story out on paper so that it releases some of that anger that i have for being falsely arrested. >> moore is not the only person writing about the case. true crime author gary barber has been visiting moore each week for the past three months. >> hello? >> hey, dee dee. >> hey! >> he's writing a book about the victim that he had been
10:25 pm
researching prior to moore's arrest. >> i got interested in this story from the angle of abraham shakespeare. and he thought his life was going to be wonderful now that he had money, and it just spiraled out of control. >> shakespeare's body was found buried in the backyard of a home that moore had recently purchased. moore says a man named ronald killed shakespeare for part of his fortune, but prosecutors say ronald doesn't exist. >> the cops say he's a figment of my imagination. this guy is real, and i know if i show his picture, somebody somewhere is going to identify him.
10:26 pm
i'm going to show the picture of who killed abraham. that's what hasn't been released. and when he's identified, then he'll be arrested and they'll have to drop my first-degree murder charge. >> i'm not aware of the picture. >> the real picture of the guy that killed abraham, the guy that i left abraham with that night. >> you drew it, right, from -- >> no, this is a real picture. >> how did you get that? you haven't told me that. >> i never told anybody about it because i could die, you know? it wasn't worth dying for, but now it is. >> truth is better than fiction. you can't make up dee dee. i never know what she's going to come up with. >> i'm ready to sell my story now. i don't want to have to wait until trial. if you get my story sold, you tell them, i'll interview with them next week. whenever you sell it, i'm going to interview with them right then. >> she has all sorts of ideas how she's going to make money because she's in lockup so she has plenty of time to sit and think, and she's constantly trying to enlist my aid. >> can you try to call like at least abc and see if they'll do it for $200,000? tell them i will film next week on it. i'm ready to go now. >> right, right, right, right. she's adamant that she didn't do it. and so, with conviction, she's willing to tell anyone who will listen that she didn't do it. okay, we're getting short on time. i'll be back next saturday at 4:00. >> yes, i'm so happy. i can't wait. >> all right, i'll see you next
10:27 pm
week. >> okay. thank you. bye. >> with the little time she has to make phone calls, moore tries to reach a contact she has made with the celebrity news program "inside edition." >> they kept trying to get an interview with me. they've called my attorney several times. hello? hey, how are you today? hi. is vivian there? the only way i want the interview is if they'll air the picture so i can get a name to the guy. >> while moore sees the attention as a way of potentially securing her freedom, for hillsborough county officials, it's much more serious. >> dee dee moore has been a challenge for us. the one thing i think that's lost on dee dee moore, at least from the letters that i've seen from her, is that when she brings this kind of attention from herself from outside these walls, her safety's at risk. other inmates resent that. >> i'll call you back again on friday. i get out every other day. i told you, dogs in kennels get out more than i do. okay.
10:28 pm
well, thank you. you have a good day. okay, bye. coming up -- >> this is bull [ bleep ]. >> luis harris grows frustrated by his restrictions. >> i'm becoming irritated and impatient. >> and douglas burden starts earning back some privileges. lk at geico... geico has a long history of great savings and great service. over seventy-five years. wait. seventy-five years? that is great. speaking of great, check out these hot riffs. you like smash mouth? uh, yeah i have an early day tomorrow so... wait. almost there. goodnight, bruce. gotta tune the "a." (humming) take a closer look at geico. great savings. and a whole lot more. but when we brought our daughter home, that was it. now i have nicoderm cq. the nicoderm cq patch with unique extended release technology helps prevent your urge to smoke all day.
10:29 pm
it's the best thing that ever happened to me. every great why needs a great how.
10:30 pm
10:31 pm
zero really can be a hero.ds) get zero down, zero deposit, zero due at signing, and zero first month's payment on select volkswagen models. right now at the volkswagen sign then drive event.
10:32 pm
"msnbc now." i'm veronica de la cruz. when you're making up a beverage in the jail, they requested that all the color be taken out. this one right here is probably a grape flavored, and as you can see, it's completely clear. when you taste it, it has all of the flavor of a purple kool-aid that you might have in a grocery store. how's it taste? >> great. >> at the hillsborough county jail in tampa, florida, luis harris, who could face life in prison for committing rape on the city's popular bayshore
10:33 pm
boulevard, has been held in a special cell since he was found guilty three weeks ago. >> inmates who get a heavy sentence or once they're found guilty, we put them under direct observation. that way, we can watch them closely and make sure they're not going to commit suicide. there will be a deputy sitting directly across from the inmate and his job is to physically watch him to make sure he's not going to get up and attempt to try to hurt himself. >> i'm angry. i think it's a complete misrepresentation of my mental health status. i think it's unwarranted. it's definitely not necessary. >> while most confinement inmates are allowed phone calls, daily visits and an hour of recreation, those on suicide watch are barred from all these privileges. >> these cells you go crazy because there's absolutely nobody to talk to, nothing to hear, nothing to listen. you don't have any human contact. >> if an inmate is on a suicide
10:34 pm
watch or direct observation, we can't have him running around where he could run up the stairs and jump off and so forth. it's when restrictions are lifted he gets his telephone or recreation or whatever other privileges are provided. >> to me, it kind of defeats the purpose, because if you're not suicidal, being succumbed to the circumstances in that unit will get you there, because it will create a lot of anger, a lot of impatience, to where, okay, you want to say i'm suicidal? well, now i am. now i am going to try to kill myself. >> but today, harris gets a short break from his cell while deputies perform a routine inspection. >> inmates can be really creative. they hollow out books and stash weapons or drugs or possible medication in there. i just want to shake everything out and make sure no medication is going to fall out. inmates like to hide things in the least desirable spot we want to touch, so that's why it makes sense for us to check those spots. it's amazing how often you'll find something good. >> in fact, the search does turn up some contraband. >> there's psychotropic medications that he was evidently what they call
10:35 pm
so-called cheeking. where they take the medication in front of us, act like they've swallowed it and haven't, place it on the tongue and cheek and saving it for some other time. for some other purpose. if they take a higher dosage than they're supposed to, it could be to get a euphoric effect or a high, commit suicide. his cell will be deliberately searched to make sure that's not happening. >> this is bull [ bleep ] and i don't need to be kept here. i'm becoming irritated. i'm becoming impatient. and everybody has their limits. we're only human, and i think i'm reaching my limit. i don't think the staff realizes it or maybe they want it to get to that point, but it's a ticking time bomb, you know? it's a ticking time bomb. >> douglas burden was once a ticking time bomb himself. it has been almost two years since he exploded in anger and attacked a 64-year-old deputy in his housing unit. today, burden says it wasn't personal, but the result of frustration.
10:36 pm
>> i thought i was being treated unfairly, because i wasn't going to court very often. i would go to court and i wouldn't get to get my word across to the judge or to anyone, so it felt like i couldn't get my voice out there. so, one day, i just snapped and i decided to choke out a deputy. while he wasn't looking, i just jumped behind the counter and grabbed him in a choke hold and i started choking him. >> could you have killed him? >> easily, but that's what we're taught in the marine corps. >> since then the jail's medical staff has kept burden stable through medication. >> i've been taking my meds. i've been doing a lot better. this is the best i ever felt, ever since i was diagnosed with schizophrenoform. >> are you a threat to these deputies here? >> no. >> why not? >> because me being ex-military, i feel like i'm on their side, i'm on the same side as them, so you can trust me and you can love me, so. >> as burden rebuilds trust with jail deputies, he's begun
10:37 pm
gaining back privileges. >> two times a week i get to have inside recreation, and two times a week i get to have outside recreation, i get to shoot basketball. i just try to follow the rules, be good so i can get my recreation time. i just want to get out and run about three miles, you understand, i want to run all over the place. coming up -- >> i want disney to search for prince charming. >> dee dee moore plans a fantasy wedding. >> when i marry at the castle, i want mickey mouse and minnie and all of them at my wedding. >> and luis harris makes his final court appearance. >> without question, you are the most manipulative, controlling person that i have ever had the displeasure of coming in front of. that gives you fast-acting, long-lasting relief. it immediately neutralizes acid and only gaviscon helps keep acid down for hours. for fast-acting, long-lasting relief,
10:38 pm
try doctor-recommended gaviscon. you totanobody's hurt, new car. but there will still be pain. it comes when your insurance company says they'll only pay three-quarters of what it takes to replace it. what are you supposed to do? drive three-quarters of a car? now if you had liberty mutual new car replacement™, you'd get your whole car back. i guess they don't want you driving around on three wheels. smart. with liberty mutual new car replacement™, we'll replace the full value of your car. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
10:39 pm
10:40 pm
but when we brought our daughter home, that was it. now i have nicoderm cq. the nicoderm cq patch with unique extended release technology helps prevent your urge to smoke all day. it's the best thing that ever happened to me. every great why needs a great how.
10:41 pm
in the female confinement unit of tampa's hillsborough county jail, dee dee moore and a few other women get to spend one hour twice a week in an enclosed recreation yard. >> dee dee's turn. >> moore says today's session is especially eventful. >> we found something amazing you don't get to see in here. a green leaf. we never get to see them. you don't get to see trees or grass. to us, this is nature. so we enjoy just seeing the green leaf. >> prosecutors say it was moore's desire to collect a different kind of green that motivated her to murder a florida state lottery winner. moore says she's not only innocent but hopes to be someday compensated for her time in jail. she's envisioned the plan in detail. >> i want disney to create and search for prince charming and they find me the perfect man and then we go in dates on all the
10:42 pm
disney world theme parks and he'll have to dress up like prince charming and i have to dress up like cinderella. i think that would be a good reality show. all the guys get glass slippers and the only slipper that fits me is the guy i want to marry me. and then i marry at the castle. and when i marry at the castle, i want mickey mouse and minnie and all of them at my wedding, and goofy and donald duck. >> well, that sounds like it would be a wedding to be at. >> it would be the best wedding of the century. >> for the time being, though, moore's castle is a 12 by 7-foot cell. >> that's life. that's sink, toilet, that's it, but i think when you really get hit that you're in jail is when you lay down. it was like concrete. my dog has a softer bed. it's hard. it's a hard mattress. and they've been reused so many times, they're like covered five times over. so they've got the musty smell. and so you wonder how many
10:43 pm
bacterias you're breathing in at the same time. there's all kinds of germs in here. >> it's a far cry from moore's life before her arrest. >> i had a fairytale life. i had a nursing agency and it was great. i had government contracts. so my 1099 from the government would range about $500,000 a year. this is a picture of me with the governor. i was going to a government conference. it was a business meeting and it was a happy time in my life versus being in jail. >> the other change in moore's life since coming to jail is a strained relationship with her now 16-year-old son. >> he used to come visit me and then when the kids started teasing him at school about his mom being on tv and stuff like that, he stopped. he's in high school. his mother is charged with murder, not -- first-degree murder, you know? that's hard on anybody, and he couldn't handle it. >> luis harris has already been
10:44 pm
found guilty by a jury of impersonating a police officer in order to rape a young woman on the city's bayshore boulevard. he still says he's innocent, but today he is headed back to court to be sentenced. >> some people say this guy is a great con artist. what i can tell you is this, my emotions and my tears are real. my sincerity is 100% real. >> harris previously served a three-year sentence in state prison for grand theft and violating probation, and does not want to go back. >> prison life is a traumatic, horrible experience. so much so that during my interview of my arrest this time i told a detective, you know, if i had the ability to take your gun from you, i would have taken it and shot myself in the head, because i don't want to return to prison. that's everybody's worst fear. >> the judge who will now sentence harris says the evidence is overwhelming.
10:45 pm
>> he kidnapped her, he pretended he was a cop, he raped her. he got her p.i.n. number under false pretenses. he used her credit card, and he obtained her money. at the time she was pulled over, at the time that he placed her in handcuffs, and at the time that he obtained her p.i.n. number from her, she was under the reasonable belief that he was, in fact, an undercover narcotics officer. there is no mistaking that. he did not allegedly do it. he did it. >> come up to the podium, mr. harris. >> before the judge hands down the sentence, harris is allowed to address the court. >> you can say whatever you want. >> go closer. >> judge, i'm sure you're going to give a very theatrical statement after i give my statement, about how i'm a menace to society and what i allegedly did.
10:46 pm
this was a very tumultuous trial. the court's made some serious assertions as to what i did or didn't do irrespective of looking at all the evidence, so i don't need a chastising. i know what you're about to say. i'm familiar with your reputation. >> anything further? >> no, your honor. >> mr. harris, without question, you are probably one of the most manipulative, controlling persons that i have ever had the displeasure of coming in front of me in the past 20 years. you are a very, very dangerous person. and one of the things that was most resounding that came out of your own mouth at your very first trial, when you addressed the jury, the first thing you said was "i am no monster." to the contrary, mr. harris, you are a monster. you use the guise of law enforcement to take control over
10:47 pm
your victims so you can have your way with them. those days are over, mr. harris. those days are over. >> i -- >> don't interrupt me, mr. harris. you had your opportunity. now i'm going to have mine. >> you're referring to -- >> your day is over, mr. harris. it's not going to happen again. i'm going to sentence you to life in the florida state prison. so make no mistake, from this point in time, and for the rest of your life, you will be controlled by the department of corrections of the state of florida. >> after sentencing, most inmates are returned to jail for a few days and then transferred to state prison. >> get him out of my courtroom. you have 30 days in which to appeal the sentence of the court. >> but in an unusual move, the judge orders harris to be taken directly from the courthouse to prison to start serving his life sentence. the decision pleases hillsborough county jail
10:48 pm
officials. >> harris had threatened our staff and had made it clear in open court that if he was transferred back to falkenberg road jail, either he would be hurt or one of my deputies would be killed. so i think the judge just made the decision that it was time for mr. harris to go to new surroundings. the paperwork was completed at the courthouse and then we sent him to the orlando reception center, florida department of corrections, and that will be start of his trek through the state penal system. coming up -- >> we notice that you lost quite a bit of weight. >> the evolution of dee dee moore's physical appearance causes a security risk. >> that's scary. i look like a psycho. now i have nicoderm cq. the nicoderm cq patch with unique extended release technology helps prevent your urge to smoke all day. it's the best thing that ever happened to me. every great why needs a great how.
10:49 pm
says it won't let up for a while. the cadillac xt5... what should we do? ...tailored to you. wait it out. equipped with apple carplay compatibility. ♪ now during season's best, get this low mileage lease on this cadillac xt5 from around $429 per month, or purchase with 0% apr financing. ♪ go paperless, don't stress, girl ♪ ♪ i got the discounts that you need ♪ ♪ safe driver ♪ accident-free ♪ everybody put your flaps in the air for me ♪ ♪ go paperless, don't stress, girl ♪ ♪ i got the discounts that you need ♪ ♪ safe driver ♪ accident-free ♪ everybody put your flaps in the air for me ♪ i can't lip-synch in these conditions. ♪ savings ♪ oh, yeah
10:50 pm
♪ gaviscon is a proven heartburn remedy that gives you fast-acting, long-lasting relief. it immediately neutralizes acid and only gaviscon helps keep acid down for hours. for fast-acting, long-lasting relief, try doctor-recommended gaviscon.
10:51 pm
did you know slow internet can actually hold your business back? say goodbye to slow downloads, slow backups, slow everything. comcast business offers blazing fast and reliable internet that's over 6 times faster than slow internet from the phone company. say hello to internet speeds up to 250 mbps. and add phone and tv for only $34.90 more a month. call today. comcast business. built for business. at the hillsborough county jail in tampa, dee dee moore is practicing her weekly beauty
10:52 pm
routine. >> this is how we get our hair off of our legs. it's pretty disgusting. it's a razorless cream shave. they don't allow razors here anymore, except if you're going to court, because people would cut themselves like idiots, so all of us would have to get punished because of the idiots. >> why bother, because you're in jail, shaving your legs? >> because i see them and you feel like a monkey. it's bad enough you're in here, i don't want to have to look like one, too. >> moore is not the only one concerned about how she looks. >> her original photograph she was a big girl. >> sergeant sarah herman noticed striking changes in moore's appearance since her first arrest in 2001 for passing bad checks and the mug shot taken a year ago for her most recent arrest on a murder charge.
10:53 pm
>> she's had a lot of work done. she's had plastic surgery. you can tell around the eyes. it looks as though she's had something done around the peak of the nose and something around the jaw, like it's a little more defined. >> when moore was arrested a year ago for the murder of a florida lottery winner, she was blond and weighed 210 pounds. >> i was fat. put me on the beach and it was a whale. i was fat, so, yeah. >> moore has lost more than 60 pounds over the past 12 months. >> this is "the biggest loser" contest, and i got the public humiliation to go along with it, but now i'm skinny. >> she has said that "the food is horrible. i'm not going to eat that stuff." and that's okay. but our concern more so, is even though she's saying that, we want to make sure that she's not declaring a hunger strike, that that's something that's going to be detrimental to her health. >> moore often refuses the meals that are cooked at the jail, but her canteen record shows she's been eating other things. >> looking at the activity on her canteen balance, that's a good indicator. i can see exactly down to the
10:54 pm
cookie what she's got. >> even colonel pravetera is kept informed about moore's weight loss. >> i don't know what's going on with that. she says she's eating, but i'm going to have to start documenting what she's eating and looking at that because i don't know if some of this is intentional in game playing or if she's depressed or spiraling. >> ms. moore has become a very high-maintenance inmate. we're placing our staff in a position where they have to recognize a person in crisis. people like sergeant merman have that training and ability to get in there and resolve it before it gets to the crisis state. >> we've informed everybody on all four shifts that she's on weight management. everything that happens with that cell regarding food needs to be documented, how much she received on canteen, missing items, everything. so, we're taking all precautions to make sure she does not declare a silent hunger strike. >> moore's change in appearance since her most recent mug shot also poses a potential security issue.
10:55 pm
>> dee dee? >> that could be an escape risk, god forbid she gets away from us. the photograph says it's blond, but really she's a brunette, so that is a high security risk. most of our inmates who stay a long time have appearance adjustments throughout their stay. we definitely want to get an update on their mug shot. >> moore, you know we're taking you down to booking right now because we want to get a new mug shot of you. we notice that you've lost quite a bit of weight. is this something you've been trying to do? >> no, it's just happened. >> but the thing about it is we noticed, too, a pattern that you've been refusing to eat. >> well, because of the food. i can't -- >> what's wrong with the food? >> have you tried it? >> i can't say that i have. >> my dog eats tastier stuff. it's gross.
10:56 pm
>> if you don't mind me asking, did you get any work done? >> what? >> as far as cosmetic work? >> no. >> you did not get any cosmetics at all? >> nope, nope. >> because your nose looks a little different. >> it's -- >> your eyes are different. >> nope, it's all from blueberries. i started eating blueberries and salmon. i heard blueberries add ten years to your life. >> really? >> it was on "oprah." so i started doing it. >> are you telling me blueberries changed your nose structure? >> blueberries will change your facial features. >> my goodness. >> it adds collagen. the collagen between the salmon and the blueberries. you look youthful. >> i did not know that. >> you can get frozen blueberries and they taste really good and you can eat them frozen like ice chips. you can look it up on the internet and it will tell you, it detoxes your body from drugs you've ever taken, like you go to a massage therapist and it works it out and detoxes your body. same thing happens with blueberries. >> moore has been taken to the booking department for her new mug shot. >> look straight at the camera. there we go.
10:57 pm
she's all set. >> this is within a year's time. this is when she first came in and her currently. so obviously, if you were to see that picture and then go to retrieve her, you wouldn't think you'd have the right person. >> that's scary. i look like a psycho. >> it's because you haven't been able to get your blueberries, remember? >> i know. >> we're all set. >> that looks scary. i'm going to be scared of my own wristband. >> douglas burden has been at hillsborough county for almost two years now. he was originally arrested for drug trafficking and driving under the influence. then while in custody, he picked up an attempted murder charge when he attacked one of the deputies assigned to his housing unit. burden blames all his criminal acts on a mental illness known as schizophrenoform. the jail's medical staff has helped stabilize his condition
10:58 pm
with medication. >> i was always the good son. i watched my brother go in and out of jail and prison and i was like, i'll never let that happen to me. i'm going to go to high school and go to the military. i never thought it would have happened, i'd never be here in lockdown. i wish that would never happen. i can't beat myself up on it. i got to keep going because that's all i got is myself. as long as i keep myself up, then i can be there for my mom. >> burden's mother struggles to understand how her son's life has unraveled. >> this used to be like "why you got in trouble?" she doesn't understand about schizophrenoform. >> burden and his mother correspond through letters. >> how important are these letters to you? >> real important. the relationship between me and my mom is getting better. "i got your letter january the 5th. i pray every day court takes it easy on you. that's why i call god. you better call him, too, thriller." she calls me thriller when i was a little kid, the neighborhood called me thriller because of michael jackson. i was born in 1984. "i hope you get bigger in working out so you can look good for the girls." i need to make her some
10:59 pm
grandkids. >> but burden's entire future depends on what happens in court. he could face up to 30 years in prison for his attack on the deputy, but he plans to tell the court he was not competent when he committed that crime, nor when he was originally arrested. >> it's pretty hard to go on outside of jail with a criminal record, so the best thing that could happen is that they drop all the charges or i take a lesser sentence. that's not so bad. i just pray they have mercy on me.
11:00 pm
>> i call him the dawn because he walks around like he owns the unit. >> i've been a burglar basically all my life and banks were my favorite place because banks have money. >> an old-school bank robber

17 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on