Skip to main content

tv   Lockup Corcoran - Extended Stay  MSNBC  January 14, 2017 8:00pm-9:01pm PST

8:00 pm
due to mature subject matter, viewer discretion is advised. >> america's prisons. dangerous. often deadly. there are 2 million people doing time. every day is a battle to survive and to maintain order. >> down on your feet! down! >> among the nation's toughest, california's state prison, corcoran, severely overcrowded and plagued by racial tension. we spend months inside, where officers try to maintain order in an institution with a notoriously violent past. this is "lockup: corcoran, extended stay." for me, it was a hard, bumpy road.
8:01 pm
>> bad decisions have landed thousands of inmates in corcoran. >> that is the life i picked for myself, and it's really hard. >> in prison they've got two choices, do their time and go home -- >> i've got a baby brother who doesn't have anybody out there right now. if i go home and he can look up to that -- >> reporter: -- or become even more destructive on the inside. >> more crazy people in your cell, and crazy things happen. >> stabbings, killings, drugs, weapons. >> the path they choose could determine the difference between life and death. >> you take care of yourself, and the rest will fall into place. >> another alarm. >> i live on corcoran, 3c facility. it's a sensitive needs yard for inmates that cannot program around the general population inmates.
8:02 pm
people with sex crimes, child molesters, gang dropouts and people like myself that have testified. my path to prison started when i began selling drugs in little rock, arkansas. three years after selling drugs, i ended up going with a buddy. not really a murder-for-hire, but we were supposed to beat a guy up really bad and make it look like a robbery. i told my father about it later on that night, and six months later, my father called me on the telephone and asked me, how much would it cost to get a dog run over? i didn't understand his little code at first, but later on, during the conversation he told me that some relatives wanted to get their husband killed for supposedly molesting their 8-year-old daughter.
8:03 pm
during this whole time, my relatives are phoning me, constantly, leaving me messages, pleading with me, afraid that he's going to spend another minute alone with his daughter. so at that time, i decided, hey, this is family. i got to do this. so i asked him, i said, hey, just tell me exact time and exact place where i can find him. they end up telling me tuesday, at about 2:15, he would go to a daycare center to pick up his son. i staked out the place, planned my escape route, went to mcdonald's, grabbed something to eat, went to some abandoned horse trailer and put on my armor, my disguise, a hat, glasses, jacket, and i went and waited. and i waited for -- i don't know, it seemed like forever. he parked in the parking lot about 20 feet from the front door of the daycare center. and i remember the blinds were drawn. that's one reason why my relatives said it would be a good time, because the kids would be sleeping, and the blinds would be drawn, and nobody would see me.
8:04 pm
so i remember, i got in the car, and i slowly crept to his window. i just remember taking the gun, and i tapped it a few times on his window. and kind of startled, and as soon as he looked at me, i knew it was him and i didn't think or nothing. i just started pulling the trigger. closer than you and i are right now. i just started shooting. and i didn't count the bullets. i didn't even know how many i fired until reading the police reports later on. and now here i am. as much as i would like to say that i really killed for a righteous and solid reason in people's eyes, the truth is, i believe i was mistaken. i believe that it was a bitter custody dispute, that one of the ladies manipulated us all. and got family and got me to believe that he was molesting his 8-year-old daughter, and the truth is that i just may have been mistaken.
8:05 pm
and i may have done all this for no reason at all. >> bryan modglin turned state's evidence against those who hired him to commit murder and now spends his days on the sny. >> i'm here because if you testify, then you're a rat. i ended up telling the whole story of everything. i implicated my two relatives that paid me. i'm the lowest of inmates because i decided to tell the truth about my crime and implicate other people. i may never get out of here. every day i think about, this may be my home. man, i don't deserve to get out. >> a sense of hopelessness leads many lifers to destructive behavior. when an inmate commits any crime inside corcoran, he is sent to the administrative segregation unit, or asu, until his case is heard. >> this is a pretty secure unit, everything is controlled as far as any kind of movement,
8:06 pm
incoming, outgoing, whatever. so canteen, walking to see a visitor. here everything is controlled. for meals, we bring them. there is a set program that we go by. >> how are you guys doing? all right? good, good. >> today our producers are granted access to a case being heard by the institutional classification committee. >> morning, morning. i am here today to review your asu placement, to determine if your housing is appropriate, and to ensure that due process has been available to them. >> inmate ed duane smith and his cellmate are charged with prison murder. >> i've been trying for the past month to get my 115 heard. >> did you not postpone to the d.a.? >> yes, but it says, according to -- >> do you have your request with you? >> no, but i did submit it. >> who did you submit it to? >> i sent it to captain fields,
8:07 pm
one to grimsley. >> this is what we can do, smith, when you return back to your cell, write a quick note indicating that you want this 115 heard immediately, and we can list where we can revoke your postponement. >> i've been writing to get an interview. >> well, at some point in time, the d.a. will come out here -- >> it's been over a year. >> i understand. >> i've never heard in my life that a person can be charged with a murder and nobody comes and interviews the suspect, you know? and i've been trying to get an interview with any of you guys for the longest. i really hope you listen to this. >> and i believe you've already stated that and we are listening to you, and we are giving you some recourse. and this information has been referred to the local district attorneys office here in hanford, so we can address your concerns. i want to make sure you understand why you're going to be detained here and the d.a. process. do you have any other concerns, sir? >> this -- it's just -- >> do you have any other concerns? >> no other concerns, besides the fact that -- >> thank you. you have a nice day.
8:08 pm
>> it seems it's going to be overlooked again. >> ed duane's cellmate and co-defendant in the murder case is more outspoken with his displeasure about the charges. >> that man right there is part of it. that's the man right there. captain fields. you can take a picture of him. >> you know you're wrong. >> what did i do? >> you know you're wrong, fields. you know me and these four brothers haven't done anything. you know that. there is no way possible. i showed you the time restraints. >> while i was at smith's cell door, his cellmate took the opportunity to vent a little bit on me, and understanding that these inmates need the opportunity to vent, he took his opportunity. >> i've come to you every time i can. i sit in that damn seat with tears running down my eyes.
8:09 pm
please, can you please just read it? fields, you are the captain, man! something is happening -- i got 30 years and it all rides on you. i'm innocent. >> you want to talk to somebody from psych? >> no, i don't need any psych problems. >> i'm just making sure. >> no, i don't need any psych problems. i'm not tripping, i'm not crazy, i'm not mad. i'm not illiterate. >> you seem mad. >> these papers -- >> i don't take it personal. if i did, i'm probably working in the wrong spot. prison wouldn't be the place for me. >> you've got that request to revoke? >> yeah, that's fine. >> so although i don't appreciate it, i don't respond in an unprofessional manner. most of the time, i'll turn around and walk away. >> all right, we'll get it heard. coming up, another icc meeting and another unhappy inmate. >> they put crazy people in your cell, and crazy things happen. and later --
8:10 pm
bryan struggles with life on the sny, where he is forced to live among sex offenders. >> man, i don't want to know. because i still think it's a horrible crime. once you plant the seed, it just grows and grows and grows and grows. or plain water. and even though their dentures look clean, in reality they're not. if a denture were to be put under a microscope, we can see all the bacteria that still exists on the denture, and that bacteria multiplies very rapidly. that's why dentists recommend cleaning with polident everyday. polident's unique micro clean formula works in just 3 minutes, killing 99.99% of odor causing bacteria. for a cleaner, fresher, brighter denture every day.
8:11 pm
with not food, become food? thankfully at panera, 100% of our food is 100% clean. no artificial preservatives, sweeteners, flavors, or colors. panera. food as it should be. mom,on my car insurance of money by switching to geico. i should take a closer look at geico... you know, geico can help you save money on your homeowners insurance too? great! geico can help insure our mountain chalet! how long have we been sawing this log? um, one hundred and fourteen years.
8:12 pm
man i thought my arm would be a lot more jacked by now. i'm not even sure this is real wood. there's no butter in this churn. do my tris look okay? take a closer look at geico. great savings. and a whole lot more.
8:13 pm
we're going to be right back. >> ruben cruz is an inmate who stabbed his cellie multiple times. >> i had just finished my short term of 22 months, and i came down from another prison for attempted murder on another inmate. this is a personal problem i had with another inmate. >> and you tried to kill him? >> we tried to do it to each other, basically. yeah. it's a survival thing.
8:14 pm
that's what it really is. >> what happened to him? >> 17 stab wounds. and i didn't come out with nothing. >> because reuben assaulted a fellow southern hispanic, his former gang has disowned him. >> that's the life i picked for myself. i've been in this lifestyle for 27 years. there is nobody to blame but myself. >> today he is meeting with the icc. not for that brutal stabbing, but to find out if he is eligible to move to the sny yard for protection against retaliation. >> i feel a little nervous. it's a new journey in my life. i don't know how to explain it, because it's going to be a new experience for me. >> already been heard, correct? do you have a cellie? >> no, sir. >> no. you do understand that once you go to an sny, you are required to take a cellie. >> yes. >> you also understand that when up go to sny, all of the prison politics go right out the window. >> yes.
8:15 pm
>> you can be housed with almost anyone. of any circumstances. you understand that, correct? >> yes. >> okay, so we're going to go ahead and release you to facility 3c sny. do you have any concerns with that? >> no, sir. >> you have any other questions for me? >> no, sir. >> do you agree or disagree? >> i agree. >> thank you. you have a nice day. >> i haven't been like this in a long time. you know, i've always been stressful, always thinking they're coming my way and what i have to do. but now i can just choose for myself. now that i've made this decision, it leaves all of that behind now, you know? all of that is gone. >> reuben's realization that the gang lifestyle is a dead end came only after a violent fight with his cellmate. for daniel bobian, another gang dropout, early retirement was also involuntary.
8:16 pm
>> i've been hanging with gang members since i was a kid, so it really wasn't news when i came to prison. i already knew what i was going to be, a northerner. now i've got to take -- an individual called me some names and i took off on him, and he called me a punk or a [ bleep ]. i'm going to take off on you, especially in prison. but we cannot fight against each other, so for that, we were both removed. >> being removed means that the inmates are now considered enemies of their former gang. >> he got a slash, right here and i just got a little mark. at 5:00 in the morning, and i was drinking coffee most of that night, trying to stay up, but you can only stay up for so long. and they tried to get me in my sleep, and i woke up and hit him in his arm.
8:17 pm
and he ran so i could not see him, and the co seen me, and i was bleeding, and that was it. i went to the hole, ad seg for like five months. going back and forth, they were like, yeah, you're a piece of [ [ bleep ] you can't come back. and i was man, you got me -- [ bleep ] i'm coming back. and they were like, yeah, after so many months, i'm tired, i'm cool. i'm not going to catch any time for anybody else. i'm not going to do more time in prison for something that don't really care for me anymore. just a mule -- anybody in prison is just a mule to gangs. i'm not going to be that person anymore. >> daniel has already lost a brother and a sister to the gang lifestyle. but he says the opportunity to mentor his only surviving sibling has become the reason to change his behavior in prison. >> i've got a baby brother who doesn't have anybody out there right now, because i'm in prison, and his older brother and sister are dead. what does it look like me being in here and he's out there? if i go home and doing something better for him, he can pick up and look up to that.
8:18 pm
i've had months to think about that, months for thinking about a better life for my family. >> in an effort to fill his remaining days in prison more productively, daniel is applying for a job. but it's not up to him. >> you've got to talk to your counselor first, and let your counselor know that you want a job, a committee, and they put you in a job, and you have to be patient. it's part of the process to better myself. hopefully it works. >> still ahead. >> i enjoy hurting people. >> this inmate's temper has earned him a permanent position in the shu. >> put my foot on the back of his head and just started sawing away.
8:19 pm
8:20 pm
8:21 pm
it's hard to stay free in the land of lollipops. you know what i'm saying? these guys haven't got no goals, no ambitions, no calls, you understand what i'm saying? i've been in the hot desert, pelican bay, every one of them, major riots with guys getting
8:22 pm
their heads blown off. guys getting knives through them constantly. but here, nothing happens. because they want to keep you on lockdown for nothing. >> what's wrong with change? >> another inmate faces the icc after fighting with a cellmate. >> they put crazy people in your cell, and crazy things happen. he was having problems with somebody else, so they moved him in my cell. this guy is having problems, why is he moving this guy in my cell? i don't need no problems. i had an operation on my testicles, because one of them swelled up as big as a softball. so when they let me out of the hospital, i came back to the cell, and there was this guy and he jumped on me and kicked me on my testicles after i had my operation, and hit me in the head with a cup. so i grabbed him and held him and choked him and made him quit. >> what really happened, nobody really knows, because we were in the cell, and an altercation occurred. he wound up getting hurt worse
8:23 pm
than i did. so it looked like i'm guilty. >> michael callans is brought before the institutional classification committee. >> if you are found guilty, you can receive an expected shu term with projected murder of 123009. we're doing about expected shu term, because he has an extensive history. >> do you have any questions for me? >> well, i'm the bad guy here. and that's not the case. >> well, you do understand that you battered an inmate with a weapon back on february 15, 2008, correct? >> i understand. i got battered. >> we did refer this to the d.a. we have not received a response from the d.a. so as a result of that, we're going to go ahead and retain you here in asu pending the d.a.'s referral. >> i don't want to be in the hole for sure. i don't think i should be, because i think i'm the victim here. >> okay. and all of that will be figured out when the actual scenario is
8:24 pm
heard by the senior hearing officer. then you can go ahead and give him whatever information that you have. do you understand that? >> yeah. >> any other questions? >> no. >> thank you. you have a nice day. >> you, too. >> the postponement of his hearing means that michael will remain in ad sag for the foreseeable future and still faces the possibility of a 15-month shu term. >> my life is in turmoil, i'm looked in this little bitty cell. if i get found guilty by the people, these people, this is going to be a kangaroo court. i've got 15 months in the shu, which most likely i will be found guilty. and then, the worst part is that they are asking the d.a. to press charges against me. if the d.a. presses charges against me, and i get convicted over there, i have another life sentence on top of the life sentence i already did, and i i'm a victim here. so, i mean, it's just crazy. i don't really know what's going to happen. i'll probably be locked away a
8:25 pm
year or longer. it's very disrupting. >> do you have any razors? >> three tuna. three nachos. >> thank you. >> thank you. >> martinez, victor. >> thank you. >> bryan modglin told us he's trying to be a new man, but living on the sensitive need yard with child molesters is a strange twist of fate not lost on him. >> i committed the crime because i was under the impression that the man i killed was molesting my 8-year-old cousin. and then come to find out, by me testifying in court, it put me in the same situation, and the inmate population looked upon me the same as the guy i killed. so a couple years later, i end up coming to an sny yard, where
8:26 pm
i'm surrounded by the same type of people that are actually convicted of the crime that i thought the guy i killed actually committed. >> on brian's own cell block, there are several sex offenders like this inmate, whose identity corcoran asked us to conceal. >> i was a minister on the streets and had been for 45 years. my charges against me was for having a relationship with ladies under 17 years of age or 18 years of age, and so i have 15 to life sentence for that. i am 67 years of age. i came in when i was 65 years of age. i shouldn't have allowed that to happen. i'm an adult. i made a wrong decision. in my church, i had people who were cos, and they told me a little bit about prison life, and, of course, the first thing they said, make sure you go through an sny yard.
8:27 pm
at first, i didn't know what to expect. i was scared in some ways of maybe somebody jumping me or whatever. that's my life now. >> a lot of them stick out. a lot of them don't. but i just try to -- man, i don't want to know, because i still think it's a horrible crime, and i would be lying if i said it's not something in the back of my mind. every time i'm around the person. a comment comes up to where they said, oh, you know what that guy was in here for, you know what that guy did? and you're like, oh, i don't even want to hear it. just keep it to yourself. so it's better to stock the gossip before it gets in, because once you plant the seed, it just grows and grows and grows and grows. it's hard. coming up, bryan attends a counseling session to channel some of his anger and resentment. >> you missed everything that i said. change you. also ahead -- a violent inmate with no
8:28 pm
intention of changing his ways. >> i'm proud of everything i've done. i have asthma... ...one of many pieces in my life. so when my asthma symptoms kept coming back on my long-term control medicine. i talked to my doctor and found a missing piece in my asthma treatment with breo. once-daily breo prevents asthma symptoms. breo is for adults with asthma not well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. breo won't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden breathing problems. breo is specifically designed to open up airways to improve breathing for a full 24 hours. breo contains a type of medicine that increases the risk of death from asthma problems and may increase the risk of hospitalization in children and adolescents. breo is not for people whose asthma is well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. once your asthma is well controlled, your doctor will decide if you can stop breo and prescribe a different asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. do not take breo more than prescribed. see your doctor if your asthma does not improve or gets worse. ask your doctor if 24-hour breo
8:29 pm
could be a missing piece for you. learn more about better breathing at mybreo.com.
8:30 pm
8:31 pm
donald trump continuing his criticism of congressman and civil rights icon john lewis hoshgs called him an illegitimate president. trump issuing another tweet tonight saying lewis should focus on crime infested inner cities. the greatest show on earth is closing down forever. the producer of the iconic show says declining ticket sales and high operating costs made the circus an unsustainable business for the company. the show's final act will be in uniondale new york in may. now back to "lockup." due to mature subject matter, viewer discretion is advised.
8:32 pm
>> my grandma actually called me jumpy when i was a baby. i used to jump in the johnnie jumpups, and it stuck with me my whole life. and i've got some other nicknames. do you want to know them? some people call me b, just a regular b, because like a bee, a swarm of bees. and some people call me snaps because i click when they get not too far away from me. i'll do my little click sound. >> corcoran security housing unit, or cshu, is the largest in the state of california. and holds the worst of the worst inmates. robert glen is no exception. though ironically, his prison history all began with one nonviolent crime. >> i came to prison for grand theft auto, i got sentenced to three years. >> but instead of simply doing
8:33 pm
his time and going home, robert has assaulted more than a dozen inmates, lengthening his original sentence. >> because of all of them assaults, my points again rose to a level four inmate. and the classification committee decided to give me a indeterminant cshu term, and put me up with a aryan brotherhood member, and that began my life in a prison gang. >> the aryan brotherhood used robert to carry out their dirty work. >> prison gangs involved everything from stabbings, killings, drugs, weapons, whatever needed to be done. i did it. >> we warn you. the details of his violent acts is extremely graphic. >> there was an inmate that came up here. he was accused of raping a woman out on the street. because i was up in coming in a
8:34 pm
gang at that time, it fell to me to either make another inmate kill him or i myself kill him. i chose to kill myself. if i didn't kill this guy, or if i didn't have this guy killed, then i myself would be killed. that's how the prison gang system works. so me and two friends of mine, fellow gang members, went into his cell to play cards with him. the plan was for his partner in pinochle lose on purpose and to get him down to do push-ups. and when he got down to do push-ups, i got down on his back and applied a little pressure. that was my excuse to get up next to him. at which time, i put my arm around his throat, kind of choked him out a little bit to make him weak. but he wasn't dead yet because i wanted him to feel exactly what was going to happen to him. i didn't want him to make a lot of noise, because the co is 15 cells toward the front of the tier. he could have heard me at any time. and another inmate passed me a razor shank, and i slashed his throat repeatedly. blood was everywhere.
8:35 pm
and then another inmate passed me a shank about that long, with a handle on it. and i just started stabbing him. stabbed him over 100 times, in the back, sides, neck, he was crying, telling me to stop, begging for me to stop. and he was still alive through all of it. that was one of my favorite ones right there, because he was a rapist, and i despise rapists, i cannot stand them. child molesters, rapists, the worst. >> in spite of his love of violence, robert eventually grew tired of the gang politics, and decided to drop out. he was transferred to the sensitive needs yard. >> they thought that all sny men were all equal. it's not the case. they celled me up with a convicted child molester, he molested his sister between the age of 8 and 14. so a couple of days later, i dealt with it.
8:36 pm
i took my boxers apart and took the string out and braided it up and on either end i put a slip knot and rolled up two socks and waited one night while we were watching tv. i picked a fight with him. once he stood up, i put him in a dual choke hold. he was already passed out. i put the garrote around his neck and killed him. i put my foot on the back of his head and put the string over his head and just started sawing away. wasn't doing it as quick as i wanted to, and so i just quit. and then i just picked him up, and put him on his bunk and left him there. next morning, i went out to chow, ate, came back to my cell and waited. i feel a lot of anger towards cdc for celling me up with this inmate. i had a release date of 2019, i was going home. but also, i do take
8:37 pm
responsibility for my actions. i could have very well just beat the guy up and forced him that way to move that way. i chose to kill him. i enjoy hurting people. >> robert's violent choices sealed his fate in prison. but for other inmates inside corcoran, even a life sentence isn't reason to give up. back on the sny yard, bryan attends a program for inmates serving life sentences called "dare to hope." >> i would like to bring on randy. >> originally a lot of us went out of curiosity and none of us knew what to expect. we didn't know if it was going to be a continual program or one-time shot or whatever, but we are always looking for a little bit of hope. >> how are you guys doing? >> good. >> all right. it's really an honor and pleasure for me to be here today. how many of you guys are lifers? you're all lifers? everybody in this room?
8:38 pm
you know, my heart -- the people i want to talk to is you guys. and the reason for that is i paroled 3 1/2 years ago after doing 30 years. my message to you when you come here is you guys cannot give up. this is not all you're supposed to be. this is not your destiny. you can accomplish a lot more. >> are you foreseeing a change in the curve of parole he opportunities in the future? 2006, there was 4,657 parole hearings. 23 people made it out. is that what you're all motivating us to try for, that one quarter of 1%? >> the public views us with fear. that we are not human beings anymore, and they have all of these programs established for us upon release, but what is going to be established for us before -- prior to release, that we can do now? >> you missed everything that i said. change you. don't worry about the world, don't worry about politics. don't worry about how many -- i don't care if there is 89 programs or 5,000 programs.
8:39 pm
it doesn't matter, if you don't change you. >> he did 30 years, but he is still telling everybody, hey, don't give up. don't give up. and he even spoke towards the end of his term, they gave him a date. took his date back, and then 'that sent him to drugs and so on and so forth. but then all of a sudden he wasn't the man that his family knew he could be. >> all i could see at that time was right here. that's it. just the bars in front of my face. that's all i could see. don't believe that. you guys can accomplish a lot of things. you'll be amazed at what you can do. start right now. don't do these things to please the board. do them for yourself. even if you don't get out for six years, change your life, be a different person. because when that time comes, you'll be out there, and you can accomplish a lot of things. >> so he straightened up again, and then he got out. and my biggest thing is that we've just got to start working. we've got to change ourselves, right now. don't give up. keep on moving forward. make yourself better.
8:40 pm
constantly. coming up, we follow along as this inmate uses his one day get out of jail free card. >> fresh air. >> strings attached, of course.
8:41 pm
8:42 pm
8:43 pm
we put a lot of love in everything. >> love in everything. >> this is our production. this is where the main course of the meal is being prepared. >> now i know where you guys put me during the day. i want a raise. >> this is a good job. it keeps you out of trouble. you make it real good, because you know everybody has got to eat it. we don't want any upset customers. the pay's lousy, though.
8:44 pm
the job always keeps you out of trouble, on the streets, in jail, it is sort of the same thing. the program keeps him out of trouble and literally takes him out of the prison, if only for one day. >> the program, we have a program scheduled today in fresno at king's canyon middle school. what we're doing is picking up one of our inmates is a participant of the program. it's a voluntary program, so they don't have to do this. he is doing this because he wants to. >> right now, as he is going there, we're going to process this inmate and make sure he is pat down, stripped out and then take him to r & r and do the paperwork for security purposes before we take him out. >> have you got your i.d.? >> i have been in prison three times. the first time i did a five-year bid for assault with a deadly weapon. and then i got out and returned back for a violation.
8:45 pm
my third time, which is now, i got caught with 23 pounds of methamphetamine and was facing life with three strikes. so i ended up getting 15 years. been locked up ever since may 22 of '95. >> we'll let sanders speak a little bit about himself, what happened to him, how he ended up in prison, the choices that he made. because, really, it's all about the choices. >> for me, it was a hard, bumpy road. i was involved in gangs, and then i started to see the light as i got older. >> they was coming around and asking people do they want to go talk to the kids at the school and stuff. next thing i know, they said, i was the only one that was going to this program. >> right now, i'm leaving the prison. it feels wonderful going to talk to the kids. going to try to educate them and let them know to make the right choices in life. it seems like we have a locked gate right here. i'm familiar with those.
8:46 pm
oh, yeah, this is going to be fun. school -- to be back in school again. fresh air. fresh air. >> it will probably be in the front there. >> yeah. in the front there. >> coming in the side. >> good morning, everyone. good morning, everyone! >> morning! >> better. a lot better. i'm officer martinez. this is my partner, officer ford. okay? today we brought with us inmate sanders. he's actually doing time right now at corcoran. all right? we brought a program it's called "another way." what the "another way" program does is it talks about the realities of the choices that you are making right now, okay? the choices that could lead you to prison. >> i can tell you how to get it to prison. it's not that hard. we're here to tell you how to stay out of prison, if you want to hear it.
8:47 pm
we all know there's crime out here in these streets. we all know there's gangs out here. but how do we stop it? that's why i'm here. all right? mr. sanders. >> good morning, everybody. >> good morning. >> my name is sanders, my number is do 9582. i've been doing time since the early '80s. every morning you wake up, get up at 5:30, you go eat chow, you go to your job assignment, whatever. it's no fun. you know what i mean? >> how many people in here have family in prison? >> yeah, family or friends. >> i have. >> how many have brothers and sisters and family and cousins that say it's cool up in there? oh, they say it's cool up in there, huh? come join us. i feel sorry for you if you do join them. >> right now, you're in junior high. you have so many doors open for you right now, but you can voluntarily give up your freedom. some of you, at the age of 14, can end up in prison already. so that's what we're here to talk about. the program, this is what we do. we bring the prison to you guys.
8:48 pm
we don't want to see you in prison. we'd rather see you out here. sanders is here to enlighten you, let you know about the choices. don't make these certain choices that he made. >> my dad has been in and out of prison since i was, like, born. and my mom, she's just -- we have just been living together alone, and just going back and forth to my grandma's and my mom's. >> how many of you in here have been arrested before? how many have been arrested? two? click, click, cuffs the whole nine yards, huh? >> i was in trouble for tagging a high school. and we got caught by cops and all of my friends ran. and i had one backpack, my friend's backpack with all of the spray cans in them, and the cops caught me and threw me in the car and cuffed me and took me down to the juvenile hall and they called my mom. >> how did you like that feeling? >> i felt scared. i didn't know what to do. i didn't know how my mom was going to act.
8:49 pm
and i was just scared. >> did it make you change, being cuffed up? no? it didn't make you change? what about you, dog? did it make you change? >> it, like, taught me, i don't want to go to prison. and dude, i never want to go there, ever. not even -- not ever again. >> right now, you all have a goal to become something in life. it's your opportunity to try to figure out what you want to be in life. listen to your teachers. they're not going to school you wrong. >> i think i got a message to say to the kids. i think i got a pretty strong message to try to change their opinion in life. they pretty much got a lot of future ahead of them. they are our future. it's no limit of what you are capable of doing. if you are out there doing it wrong, you will end up where i am at. >> larry's freedom is as short-lived as the day comes to a close. but his work continues in prison, where he hopes other inmates will follow his lead.
8:50 pm
and join the "another way" program. >> maybe i can get out there and share some of this knowledge. that's all up to them. >> but it's hard to find inmates sincere about making a difference. >> would you say that you're >> but it's hard to find inmates sincere about making a difference. >> would you say that you're just trying to occupy your time to get past this time to go out and do the same? >> yeah. and later -- >> what you say you do? >> can ruben keep good on his promise to stay out of trouble in the sny? >> well, that i say there are child molesters and rapists here. >> or will he wind up back in another icc hearing? try duo fusion from the makers of zantac
8:51 pm
8:52 pm
like their photo claims tool. it helps settle your claim quickly, which saves time, which saves money. and when they save, you save. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance, an allstate company. click or call. esurance does insurance a smarter way, which saves money. like bundling home and auto coverage, which reduces red tape, which saves money. and when they save, you save. that's home and auto insurance for the modern world. esurance, an allstate company. click or call.
8:53 pm
this prison ain't no [ bleep ] joke. ain't no joke. there are two things that you are going to do. you're either going to live or you're going it die.
8:54 pm
which side you on? >> back in ad seg, another inmate faces the icc for a brutal assault in prison. >> this is a special review committee no replace ad seg after receiving a complaint due to battery on an inmate. work sheet 115 where you were charged and found guilty of an a1 offense, which says that a 29a has been completed with the murder of an inmate. >> and do you want to stay in ad seg until we move you over? any questions of us? >> this is my first time though. >> this is the minimum, and the medium and the maximum and the
8:55 pm
minimum is 15 months, and so we have to go by the regs. so you got any questions? >> no. >> okay. thank you. >> the assault has earned this inmate a 15-month cshu term. but reuben cruz who we last saw in a similar situation -- >> 17 stab wounds. and i came out with none. >> is now making himself at home on the sensitive needs yard. >> s.n.y. is just a name for -- honestly, i don't even know. you know? i love it. i honestly do. this is the first time that i could choose who i want to talk to, who i want to play basketball with. honestly, it's just a whole change of scenario. a whole change of lifestyle. it's better. honestly, it's a lot better. you know? this right here, as you can see, it is the same as general population, and the same people play basketball and people working out and people running their own program. they don't have to go through all of that other [ bleep ] that
8:56 pm
we used to go through before. it's very much different and a setting that you need to get adjusted to. from what i understand, they say there's child molesters and rapists here, but i haven't encountered one, and not that i am looking for them, but i would rather not know who they are, you know that. is basically it. i just socialize with the guys i know who is who. this is a different crowd. i have several associates over here, and friends are hard to come by. i could figure out of 1,000-some inmates here, i have two friends. i don't socialize with everybody. there is only one or two persons that you can really stick with each other, because you don't know who is who. the lifestyle of the rich and famous, you know what i mean? >> while the inmates on the sny may not be rich, there are opportunities.
8:57 pm
daniel bobian applied for a job and approved to be an inmate assistant program worker. >> i am to help the mobility impaired to help clean themselves and if they need to go to chow or get pills. >> daniel hopes that the responsibility will prepare him to one day hold down a job on the outside and mentor his younger brother. >> if i can work in here, i can work on the streets, and if i can work for five cents, i can work for $5. what is better, five cents or $5? 15 cents or 15 dollars? i feel good. i feel like a man. >> bryan has chosen to work in a different capacity. >> i just want to introduce our speaker today. it's bryan, and you know him as lefty. he's going to come to give us a wonderful sermon on john 3: 16. so come on up. [ applause ] >> i didn't like the guy i was. i wasn't the person i told everybody else i was.
8:58 pm
i definitely was not the man i wanted to be, so i ended up telling the lord one sunday evening and i said, hey, you know what? i want to serve you 100%. let me get out to see my family one day. that is the only thing that gives me hope. >> if brian stays out of trouble in prison, he will be eligible for parole in 2023. meanwhile, larry sanders continues trying to point younger inmates toward the right path. >> i mean, i ain't never been up in here. >> well, you ain't never been in here. >> a lot of them are involved in gangs and stuff, because they have to be, because the way how it is in here. >> why you want to go talk to the kids? >> because, you know, nobody never came and talked to me when i was in school and talked to me and gave me a different outlook on the way i took life in, and you know, if somebody did, i would probably not have ended up in this situation that i am in today. so i want to get to somebody and because i am young, too, they wanted me to speak, you
8:59 pm
understand, to young people on a different level than they is, so i wanted to let them know that they can change. >> the younger ones, they come to me for opinions, and wants to know if they are doing the right thing. a lot of them wants to stay out of the gangs. >> would you say that you're just trying to occupy your time to get past this time and go out to do the same or -- >> no. i'm never doing what i did again. that is a promise to myself more than anybody. i ain't never selling no crack again, and that is what i am in for. selling crack. i ain't never doing that again. >> but you must have education to get a nice job to better yourself. >> yeah. >> to basically -- to focus in society these days. it's not no hand-me-downs.
9:00 pm
due to mature subject matter, viewer discretion is advised. msnbc takes you behind the walls of america's most notorious prisons into a world of chaos and danger. now the scenes you've never seen. "lockup: raw." >> if personal relationships can get complicated on the outside, they can be even more complicated behind bars. >> my mom gave me the best advice. everythi

11 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on