Skip to main content

tv   Andrea Mitchell Reports  MSNBC  January 24, 2017 9:00am-10:01am PST

9:00 am
your body was made for better things than rheumatoid arthritis. before you and your rheumatologist move to another treatment, ask if xeljanz is right for you. xeljanz is a small pill for adults with moderate to severe ra for whom methotrexate did not work well. xeljanz can reduce joint pain and swelling in as little as two weeks, and help stop further joint damage. xeljanz can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections, lymphoma and other cancers have happened. don't start xeljanz if you have an infection. tears in the stomach or intestines, low blood cell
9:01 am
counts and higher liver tests and cholesterol levels have happened. your doctor should perform blood tests before you start and while taking xeljanz, and monitor certain liver tests. tell your doctor if you were in a region where fungal infections are common and if you have had tb, hepatitis b or c, or are prone to infections. xeljanz can reduce the symptoms of ra, even without methotrexate, and is also available in a once-daily pill. ask about xeljanz xr. thank you for watching this hour of "msnbc live." i'm tamron hall. right now on msnbc "andrea mitchell reports." >> thank you, tamron hall. right now on "andrea mitchell reports," in the pipeline. president trump signs five more executive orders, including trying to green light the keystone in dakota access pipelines, carrying out his campaign promises. >> we'll see if we can get that pipeline built. lot of jobs. 28,000 jobs. great construction jobs.
9:02 am
>> fact check, president trump tells congressional leaders he was robbed of popular votes in november by what he calls illegals. he means undocumented immigra s immigrants, a false claim that is flat-t wrong. >> we're talking about a man who won the election, and seems to be obsessed with the idea that he could not have possibly lost the popular vote without cheating and fraud. this is going to erode his ability to govern this country if he does not stop. and special relationship, on friday, the president will meet for the first time with british prime minister theresa may. his first visiting foreign leader. >> first of all, i've already said that some of the comments that donald trump has made in relation to women are unacceptable. whenever there is something that i find unacceptable i won't be afraid to say that to donald trump. >> coming up, we'll talk to the british ambassador to the united states about the first foreign policy test for the new president.
9:03 am
good day everyone. i'm andrea mitchell in washington where president tlrup is shaking up the obama economic order carrying his campaign promises to sign executive orders trying to reinstate the keystone and dakota pipelines and teasing a big announcement for next week. >> i'll be making my decision, this week we'll be announcing, next week we have outstanding candidates and we'll pick a truly great supreme court justice. >> joining me now kristen welker and kasie hunt. first to you, kristen, these executive orders trying to do things which may or may not be within the grasp of an executive order but fulfilling his campaign promises and then of course the big announcement coming next week on the supreme court. >> reporter: that's right, first to the executive orders, andrea, the devil is always in the details and executive orders
9:04 am
don't often have as much bite clearly as a piece of legislation, so the question is, how much can president trump actually green light? these are controversial projects, and he made the point, while he was signing those executive orders, that they were subject to negotiations here at the white house, and with the engaging partners. now in terms of why they're so controversial, you have environmental opponents who say that ultimately these projects could hurt the environment, but proponents say they are jobs creators under the obama administration which blocked both of these projects. they made the argument that, look, they don't create as many permanent jobs as is argued. you have the state department and others determining that each of the products would create several thousand jobs. you look at the actual number of permanent jobs you're looking at like a few dozen. bottom line it's creating jobs,
9:05 am
something president trump ran on, he campaigned on that, that's part of why he got so many working class voters, so the optics of this quite powerful, and a senior administration official said to me, the focus today, this ek, is on jobs, and they think here within the trump administration, this is one more action that proves that, andrea. >> and on capitol hill, kasie, you've got a number of hearings, both committee hearings, confirmation hearings, a postponement on jeff sessions for attorney general under procedures, the rules permit any senator to postpone by one week the first meeting to approve a senate vote so jeff sessions has been postponed a week because of emotion from dianne feinstein, the ranking member. lot of other actions up there. >> reporter: andrea, that's right, and there haves had been postponement for ryan zinke for the interior and rick perry. it's not likely democrats can
9:06 am
stop them they don't have the votes at the end of the day but this is the strategy to try to push them out as long as possible and that's what you're seeing here with tom price today, which is really the fo s focus, his hearing in the senate finance committee, he had a courtesy hearing a week ago but this is his confirmation hearing, and he's getting a lot of questions from democrats about those stock trades and about other issues. really the focus, on trying to delay his nomination as long as possible, because he is the linchpin for republican plans to repeal and replace the president's health care law. they're relying on him to do a lot from the regulation perspective as the secretary of health and human services and also going to be relying on him to write the replacement. andrea? >> and we alsoad the comments at the hearing for price for the nominee for hhs, let's play a little bit of that today, one exchange. >> president trump said he's working with you on a
9:07 am
replacement plan for the aca, which is nearly finishedend and will be revealed after your confirmation. is that true? >> it's true that he said that, yes. >> so not that he's ever done this before but did the president lie? did the president lie about this, that he's not working with you? he said he's working with you. is that -- i know we don't use the word lie here because we're polite when. s say statements that are not true. did he lie to the public about working with you? >> i've had conversations with the president about health care, yes. >> so diplomatic to a fault. someone who is less diplomatic up there, kasie, is conversations with lindsey graham. let's play a little bit about the whole popular vote issue. >> i am begging the president, share with us the information you have about this or please stop saying it. as a matter of fact, i'd like you to do more than stop saying it. i'd like you to come to the
9:08 am
words saying having looked at it i'm confident the election was fair and accurate and people who voted voted legally because if he doesn't do this, this is going to undermine his ability to govern this country. >> the whole question of credibility, kasie, then to you, kristen, on that. >> yes, this is something, i mean first of all, big departure from the way the obama administration did things, inviting members from both parties up on capitol hill to the white house, holding something that was described as more of a social occasion than anything else. president obama didn't do that, but the comments he made at the top of that meeting causing quite a stir, and that was of course lindsey graham reacting and saying that this idea that donald trump lost the popular vote because of widespread voter fraud from illegal immigrants or excuse me, undocumented immigrants voting not something that plays very well up here and we're getting another day of this dynamic where republicans are all being asked to defend donald trump and most of them are not willing to. of course you have a handful like senator graham who are willing to go straight at him. >> and sean spicer kristen,
9:09 am
again with the briefing today, he certainly tried to repair the damage by coming out with a little joke yesterday and going on and taking every question, but there was a different dynamic. he didn't start with the regulars. he started with a number of questions from news organization that have a political particular political bend, three out of the first four questions are owned by rupert murdoch, for instance, and then also on questions foreign policy questions about whether or not you could take the iraq oil and whether or not russia and the u.s. would be in joint bombing raids over syria, not having the background partly perhaps because the nsc is not staffed up. >> reporter: right and he dodged both of those questions, andrea, about the oil in iraq. he was cycled pointed questions about that in the wake of president trump saying at the cia perhaps we can keep that oil, raises the question, will there be more troops in iraq,
9:10 am
and then to questions about russia and the u.s. coordinating on air strikes in syria, he dodged that question as well, but i think you're right, when you talk about the tone, andrea. he came out, he did two different things. he certainly mixed it uhm. he called on the "new york post" first. typically what you had under the obama administration and under the predecessor's to president obama was the associated press gets called on first, that's a little bit of nuance here, but he made it clear we're going to do things a little bit differently. at the same time his tone far more conciliatory than it was over the weekend when he came out very angry, bombastic at the press. i expect that to continue today. >> thank you. msnbc political analyst and "washington post" columnist eugene robinson joins me now. let's pick up on that. first of all, it would be a war crime, it is against the geneva conventions to take oil from iraq.
9:11 am
>> there is only one answer to that question. you can't do that. >> it indicates knowledge of that. >> exactly. you simply cannot do that. that is a war crime. it is illegal, and so the answer should have been no. but imagine sean spicer saying that when donald trump said on the campaign trail, we ought to take the oil. >> again at the cia on saturday. >> exactly. so i think that's going to have to be, you know, gotten into the president's head before the spokesman can say it definitively. >> what about the fact that donald trump keeps returning to this issue of the popular vote, having been stolen from him. there is absolutely no basis in fact. the "new york times" headlines it as a lie. we can't prove that he intentionally, you know, doesn't know the difference. >> right, it keeps alive what is not a story. i mean, the facts are hillary clinton won the popular vote and donald trump won the electoral vote and therefore he is president, period. that's a fact. and you know, people have asked
9:12 am
state election officials, was there voter fraud? was there massive voter fraud by anybody, let alone undocumented immigrants? and the answer is no. it simply didn't happen. i don't know why he keeps saying this. do we then become sort of inward to these presidential statements that just don't comport with reality, that are just falsehoods? or do we not take what he says at face value ever? i don't know how we're going to proceed with this. >> now, let's just, in fairness, let's point o that the first few days of the clinton white house in 1993 were tumultuous. on the day he signed the first legislation that he thought was going to be a very big story instead everyone was talking about the fact that he had had three potential nominees for attorney general before he found one who could get through the confirmation process. the fact that there was an attempt to close off the white
9:13 am
house briefing room from the upper press office to shut down the press, that some of his spokespeople didn't know facts and were not converseant with what they were doing. >> exactly. >> this is a learning process. as they were pointing out, kristen, then kasie, he did bring bipartisan leaders to the white house very quickly and an olive wranch to them. >> well he did, and every administration begins in a bumpy way, because you simply just don't know how this very complicated place works, and where everything is, and how do you logon to the computers and what sort of things. i was talking to jerry refjune this morning about the carter administration coming in and the problems they had, just kind of getting used to the job. that said, i don't think an administration should sort of self-inflict additional damage, and frankly that's what the president does by continuing to harp on this non-issue.
9:14 am
>> and a number of things cannot be done by executive order. >> um-hum. >> he can reliterate the keystone pipeline and the dakota pipeline and set the process in motion. keystone crosses an international border, therefore it has to be approved by the state department, they have to submit the actual path which was disputed in nebraska once, and delayed the whole process. >> right. >> this does have bipartisan support and opposition. >> right, it does. welcome to your new life, president trump, because you don't just, you know, sign a piece of paper or wave your hand or bark an order and it happens. things don't happen that way in washington. there's a process. there's a procedure, and in this case it's a fairly lengthy one. so when -- clearly he wants the keystone pipeline to start up again. when does it start up again? it will be some time. >> one of the things that he can do is he can reverse trade policy, under the terms of naa, as a gore promised when
9:15 am
he was debating nafta with ross perot back in 1993 and '94, six months warning any party can are w draw from the treat y it was not a treaty so it was done by majority vote so they can with draw if they want. >> they can, and look, we heard all the campaign rhetoric, it was very tough against the treaty or the agreement. on the other hand, i think even president trump will think twice about just kind of saying oh, well, you know, no more nafta, especially given that it is in the united states' interest to have a healthy and thriving mexinex mexico khan economy. >> eugene robinson former foreign editor of "the washington post" based in london. >> we could go on and on and on, talking about 3 of the 15 issues today. >> we'll continue. thank you so much. and we'll be right back, talking
9:16 am
about trade, executive actions, a lot more confirmation hearings. stay with us. music and crowd sounds ] oooh! when your pain reliever stops working, your whole day stops. [ sighs sadly ] try this. but just one aleve can last 12 hours. tylenol and advil can quit after 6. so live whole. not part. wi aleve. and check your sunday paper for big savings. everything your family touches sticks with them. make sure the germs they bring home don't stick around. use clorox disinfecting products. because no one kills germs better than clorox.
9:17 am
watry...duo fusiong heartburn relief? duo fusion goes to work in seconds and lasts up to 12 hours.
9:18 am
tums only lasts up to 3. folonger lasting relief...in one chewable tablet try duo fusion from the makers of zantac we're opening more xfinity stores closer to you. visit us today and learn how to get the most out of all your services, like xfinity x1. we'll put the power in your hands, so you can see how x1 is changing the way you experience tv with features like voice remote, making it easier and more fun than ever. there's more in store than you imagine. visit an xfinity store today and see for yourself.
9:19 am
xfinity, the future of awesome. welcome back. president trump's whirlwind first day of business monday was highlighted by an executive action on trade, backing up his campaign promises to dismantle the transpacific partnership, an obama policy already dead because of opposition from bernie sanders on the hill. the decision angered japan and created a big vacuum china is leaping to fill. joining me is are close gutierrez, former commerce secretarior george w. bush who endorsed hillary clinton in fact in the campaign, and was formerly the head of kellogg, a
9:20 am
global company, so you know how companies and how other nations also respond to this. what is the practical impact of the president now, pulling back on tpp? >> well, on tpp, there are, as you mentioned, this is very good news for china, because they're essentially creating an area, a trade area in the asia-pacific with about 13 countries, and that will be china's area, without the u.s., without the u.s. dollar, and unless we have a way of getting in there, our companies could be shut out. so if the president wants bilaterals, okay, bilaterals, but let's get on with it. my understanding is that japan is not very interested in a bilateral, but there other countries, malaysia, thailand, but we've got to move forward. they're already building roads from china all the way down getting ready for their asia-pacific area. >> and in trying to isolate china also by what he did with
9:21 am
taiwan, with the call, not just accepting the call but the language that he used about the one china policy and raising questions about it, china has a lot of leverage. we saw that china's leader was at the world economic forum, and getting a big audience for what he is saying as it is perceived that donald trump is retreating from the global stage. >> absolutely, and this is at a time when u.s. companies were very concerned about china. that they feel china, it's tougher to do business in china. there are more regulations. they have special technology regulations where they want to own the technology, making it very difficult for u.s. companies. so whether china continues down that path because they now have a license to do that, or whether they change and become the world kind of the moral trade leader, i don't know, but this is a very good time for china. there's no question. >> let me ask you about the president's comments again,
9:22 am
saying to bipartisan leaders at the white house, it was sort of a feel good moment potentially, but then he came out with again repeating what is a cunard, which is that he lost popular votes because of the voting of illegal or undocumented immigrants, what he called illegals. there's been no, absolutely no could be could be operati corroboration of this. >> i don't know if enough illegal immigrants can vote to get those types of votes. the reality is he won the election and got the electoral votes. i think we should just look forward to the future. you know, this nafta negotiations these week are critical. one thing about nafta is that it has stabilized mexico. people don't recall, but 30 years ago was 100% inflation, recessions, devaluations, crises, we had to step in during president clinton. they have been incredibly stable since that time. we don't need an unstable
9:23 am
mexico. >> they paid back all of those guarantees that were done by bob ruben, the former treasury secretary, with the agreement of newt gingrich at the time, the speaker of the house. >> think of mexico 4% inflation, it was unthinkable. >> plus there is basically a net zero crossing of the border from mexican undocumented people. it's basically other south american, central americans coming through mexico. >> that's right. >> is the big cohort, but the bottom line is that there's a new middle class in mexico, created by some of the jobs, the economy, the oil boom certainly. >> the irony here is that the population in mexico, the average births per mexican woman is down almost to where the u.s. is. there's going to come a time where we don't have mexican immigrants and we're going to miss because we don't have our work. we grow our economy with the number of people we have and the productivity and what could
9:24 am
happen as we force companies to build plants in the u.s. is that you get the tremendous surge of investment in automation, so we need to be thinking about education, what are we going to do with those workers who are no longer employed in the u.s. because they have been replaced by robotics. >> and in fact, i remember during the campaign, in some rust belt communities, there were people at town hall meetings who said to donald trump, we need some of these workers in the agricultural sector in particular. >> absolutely. >> we need seasonal workers coming across. >> absolutely, and restaurants. i was talking to restaurant owner the other day, he said i have two restaurants. i could have eight if i had more workers, so yes, we need the labor. what we need to do is reform immigration, not just build a wall, and that's the big challenge is to get some kind of a process. i like the idea that he's including immigration with the talks on nafta, because we should have a bilateral agreement on immigration,
9:25 am
something the president said that you and i recommended six months ago so that we're both accountable for the border and who comes through and somehow accessing a recruiting nextism in in mexico. we can do that if we sit down and talk about it. the other thing i want to make a point is that our trade deficit which you talk a lot about, yes, it's with fta, with free trade agreement countries, it's over $60 billion. if you take away oil imports, we have a surplus. so what he's doing in terms of opening up for more oil production could end up being a smart move. >> carlos gutierrez, as always, a balanced assessment from george w. bush's former commerce secretary. appreciate it. >> thank you. >> thank you so much. and we have breaking news from capitol hill, as expected nikki haley, donald trump's pick for ambassador to the united nations has cleared the senate foreign relations committee and will be headed for a floor vote.
9:26 am
more on trump and foreign policy next coming up on "andrea mitchell reports." stay with us. per roll more "doing chores for dad" per roll more "earning something you love" per roll bounty is more absorbent, so the roll can last 50% longer than the leading ordinary brand. so you get more "life" per roll. bounty, the quicker picker upper
9:27 am
9:28 am
♪ everything your family touches sticks with them. make sure the germs they bring home don't stick around. use clorox disinfecting products. because no one kills germs better than clorox.
9:29 am
the old expression "to the victor belong the spoils," you remember i always used to say keep the oil. i wasn't a fan of iraq. i didn't want to go into a rack, but i will tell you when we were in, we got out wrong, and i always said, in addition to that, keep the oil. now i said it for economic reasons, but if you think about it, mike, if we kept the oil you probably wouldn't have isis because that's where they made their money in the first place. we should have kept the oil, but okay. maybe we'll have another chance. >> i have no clue what he's talking about. >> if the u.s. military were to go in now and try to steal iraq's oil, wouldn't that be an international crime? >> i think that's not going to happen. >> joining me is ambassador wendy sherman, former undersecretary of state for political affairs who is now the vice chair of the albright stonebridge group. first of all let's establish that, under the geneva
9:30 am
convention stealing the oil would be a war crime. >> under the geneva convention and hague convention, it's not legal, morally unethical and puts u.s. troops at risk all over the world if people think the united states is going to act like an imperialist nation which we are not. >> so let's say we can't "keep the oil" but also suggesting and doing it at the memorial wall at the cia, suggesting we may have another chance. what is he talking about? >> i think we heard from former secretary gates that he has no idea what he's talking about, and neither do i, that is hallowed ground in front of that memorial wall, as many people have said. i hope that the president has come to understand how serious that wall is to everybody. >> now we're still trying to disaggregate the latest executive order on the mexico city gag order, basically it has nothing to do with mexico city. it is on abortion or counseling, contraceptive counseling through
9:31 am
international organizations. our best understanding of it is that he has expanded this beyond what george w. bush and previous republican administrations have done, and to basically say that these international agencies cannot use their own funding for such work. >> indeed. we have the hyde amendment says no u.s. funding can be used for abortions anywhere but this reinstatement of the global gag rule which was created in mexico city in 1984, says that you cannot provide counseling, you cannot provide information, you cannot send someone to another provider and you have to literally sign a pledge that you won't or you get no u.s. funding. 21 million women get unsafe abortions the w.h.o. says, the world health organization. 13% of maternal deaths the w.h.o. says comes from unsafe abortions by putting this global gag rule bk into effect, we are sending manyomen around the world to an ear death.
9:32 am
>> and expanding it, in fact, and speaking of this whole issue, it's one of the issues of course for the health and human services secretary, that is up now before the senate finance committee, the confirmation hearing of tom price. >> there are taxes in obamacare and when it is repealed there's no question the taxes are going to be repealed. i promise you the taxes are going to be repealed. when those taxes are repealed will anyone in america who makes less than $200,000 benefit from the repeal of those taxes? >> i look forward to working with you on that plan and hopefully that will be the case. >> no, no, no, no. no, i'm asking the taxes that are in there now, does anybody who makes less than $200,000 pay those taxes now? >> it depends how you define the taxes. there are many individuals who are paying much more than they did prior to that point.
9:33 am
>> i'm talking about taxes. cadillac tax has not been implemented so that hasn't affected anybody. i'm trying to get at the simple question i don't think you want to answer it that in fact when obamacare is repealed no one in america who makes less than $200,000 is going to enjoy the benefit of that. >> as i say i look forward if confirmed look forward to making certain that's the case. >> that's not an answer. ending medicare as we flow your plan that you worked on for years is converting medicare to private insurance markets with government subsidies. correct? >> not correct. >> we talked yesterday and we kind of went through this in my office and by the end of our conversation you admitted to me and i'm going to quote you, that your plan for medicare in terms of people getting either tax credits or subsidies or whatever how you're going to pay for the medicare recipients would be them having choices on a private market, and you said yes, it was pretty similar to obamacare with
9:34 am
the exception of the mandate. didn't you say that to me yesterday? >> that's a fairly significant exception. >> but these people are old. it's not like a 27-year-old who doesn't think he's going to get sick. you don't need a mandate for people who are elderly. they have to have health insurance so the mandate is not as relevant but didn't you admit to me that obamacare and the private markets is similar to what you're envisions for medicare, didn't you use the phrase "pretty similar." >> there are some similarities, i think what he said though was that the mandate was significant. >> the mandate is significant i get in obamacare but we don't need a mandate for seniors. would you agree with that, that you don't have to tell seniors they need health insurance? >> what i hope is we don't need a mandate for anybody so they're able to purchase the coverage they want, not that the government forces them to buy. >> okay. finally, you want to block grant medicaid for state flexibility and inefficiency.
9:35 am
>> i believe medicaid is a system not responding necessarily to the needs of the recipients and consequently it's incumbent upon all of us as policymakers to look for a better way to solve that challenge. >> are you in favor of block granting medicaid? >> i'm in fair of a system more responsive to patients in the medicaid system. >> are you in favor of block granting meld i caid? i'm here at your confirmation hearing for the most powerful in health care. i don't know why you would be answer whether or not you're in favor. >> i'm in favor of making certain that medicaid is a system that responds to patients, not the government. >> okay i don't understand why you won't answer that. and i don't have time, i know i'm over. i will probably, i don't know if we're going to get another round, mr. chairman? should i ask my last question or are we going to get another chance? >> claire mccaskill peppering tom price with questions. wendy sherman you're familiar with a the love the issues. >> indeed. i think that senator mccaskill did a terrific job in really
9:36 am
saying, tell us what you believe in, and we know that congressman price has wanted to take a whack at medicare, at medicaid, at patient care, and making sure that working people have the care they need in the united states and around the world is part of what we stand for and i think that's what senator mccaskill was pointing out. i think andrea we've got a big problem. even though we're going through the cabinet nominations at the state department, at the defense department, all of the undersecretaries, the deputy secretaries, the assistant secretaries are not filled out. so the president being able to move on really key national security issues, including prime minister may coming here tomorrow from great britain is really quite tough. >> a quick question. what are you hearing about the staffing of the national security council, where there are people deployed from other agencies and it has become bloated and criticized in the past, are there any directors in place sh? these are not confirmable posts. >> they have to be vetted but
9:37 am
they have to be appointed and so far, i think most of those are not filled. what we are hearing is that president trump is putting in place a really loyal advisory, we need to look at each agencies and make sure the secretaries carry out the poll say that donald trump wants. >> well, he was elected. >> indeed he was. >> ambassador wendy sherman great to see you. >> for the first time since donald trump's nauinauguration we're hearing what china thinks about president trump's policy. nbc's chief foreign correspondent richard engel got a big interview with a senior official at china's ministry of foreign affairs. richard joins us live from beijing. thanks for staying up. please tell us about your interview. >> reporter: as you know from covering diplomacy for so long the chinese government does not like to show its cards. generally when ask you for interviews, they're either declined or they take a very long time or you get written
9:38 am
statements in chinese, but what we got this time was an actual sitdown interview with a senior foreign ministry official, and i think it's because of the urgency many people in this country feel and the government feels now that donald trump is making so many rapid-fire appointments and so many rapid-fire decisions, and china frankly doesn't want to be left out. it wants to lay down its markers. it wants its prubl priorities to be known and to be clear, so that there is no confusions or even worse a potential escalation of a trade war or even a military escalation, and really, there were two main priorities that we discussed in this interview with the foreign ministry spokesman, luke kong. the first one was about the controversy over china's building in the south china sea. if you remember yesterday at the
9:39 am
press briefing, the new white house press secretary said that the united states would challenge china over its fortification of islands in the south china sea in order to build military bases. china today wanted to stress that it sees that as a national priority and effectively the u.s. should back down, and the second point, on which china was even more emphatic was over its so-called one china policy. there's a big concern that the united states, that president trump will recognize taiwan, something that china does not do, and does not want the united states to do. how would china respond if the u.s. takes more steps, if president trump takes more steps to recognize taiwan? >> i'm not here to prejudge anything, but we made our positions very clear. two points. first, this one china policy has
9:40 am
been the fundamental basis for china-american relationship. second, because this issue touches upon china's core interests, by no means this is something that could be negotiated or as a bargaining chip. >> reporter: so that sounds like there's no room for discussion from your perspective on that? >> one china policy. >> reporter: 100%? >> 100%. >> wow. that's so interesting. >> reporter: you heard, andrea, shortly after his election, president trump received a phone call from the taiwanese leader. china was incensed by that so much so they sent military aircraft buzzing very near to taiwan. they sent an aircraft carrier coasting by, not far from the taiwanese shoreline, so this is something that china wants to make explicitly clear, so that there is no misunderstandings now or in the future that it sees as something of a red line.
9:41 am
>> richard engel, what an interview. thank you so much. can't overemphasize how unusual this is. coming up, gene shaheen fighting one of trump's first executive orders. he joins me next, stay with us. , or fill a big order or expand your office and take on whatever comes next. find out how american express cards and services can help prepare you for growth at open.com.
9:42 am
parts a and b and want more coverage, guess what? you could apply for a medicare supplement insurance plan whenever you want. no enrollment window. no waiting to apply. that means now may be a great time to shop for an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company.
9:43 am
medicare doesn't cover everything. and like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, these help cover some of what medicare doesn't pay. so don't wait. call now to request your free decision guide. it could help you find the aarp medicare supplement plan that works for you. these types of plans have no networks, so you get to choose any doctor who accepts medicare patients. rates are competitive, and they're the only plans of their kind endorsed by aarp. remember - these plans let you apply all year round. so call today. because now's the perfect time to learn more. go long.
9:44 am
a bipartisan move now in the senate from senators challenging that new executive order on the so-called gag rule. joining me now is democratic new hampshire senator jeanne shaheen she'll introduce that legislation in the senate. we're trying to sort out whether the reinstatement of the global gag rule on abortion counseling and abortion funding for international organizations expands it beyond what had been the case under both presidents reagan and bushes. >> that's my understanding. we're still examining the details of the executive orders but it appears this global gag
9:45 am
order unlike the previous bush and reagan administrations would expand the prevention of all u.s. funding to any global organization that we have poured in the past that provides for health care, and so that is a tremendous expansion. what's so frustrate being this, if you want to prevent abortions and support the health of the mother and child you give them access to family planning services, and we know that. that's what the data shows. we've seen it in country after country, we've seen it here in the united states, where levels of unplanned pregnancies fallen to the lowest rate in decades. it's so short-sighted what president trump has done. >> is your legislation symbolic in that he can do things by executive order that doesn't
9:46 am
have a legislative remedy or can you actually get 51 votes for this? >> that's what we're going to try to do. obviously it's tough, given the position of the republican leadership in congress, which made it clear they're going to try to roll back access to health care for women with their plans to defund planned parenthood. senator collins is my cosponsor and will be working together to try to get the votes and this would be a permanent repeal of the global gag order that president trump put into effect by executive order. >> senator jeanne shaheen from new hampshire, thank you so very much. bipartisan proposal. we'll look for it later today. coming up the british ambassador to the united states to preview the first foreign leader coming to see president trump. stay with us. have you any wool? no sir, no sir, some nincompoop stole all my wool sweaters, smart tv and gaming system. luckily, the geico insurance agency recently helped baa baa with renters insurance.
9:47 am
everything stolen was replaced. and the hooligan who lives down the lane was caught selling the stolen goods online. visit geico.com and see how easy it is to switch and save on renters insurance. c'mohappy birthday! i survived a heart attack. i'm doing all i can to keep from having another one. and i'm taking brilinta. for people who've been hospitalized for a heart attack. i take brilinta with a baby aspirin. no more than one hundred milligrams as it affects how well it works. brilinta helps keep my platelets from sticking together and forming a clot. brilinta reduced the chance of another heart attack. or dying from one. it worked better than plavix. don't stop taking brilinta without talking to your doctor since stopping it too soon increases your risk of clots in your stent, heart attack, stroke, and even death. brilinta may cause bruising or bleeding more easily, or serious, sometimes fatal bleeding. don't take brilinta if you have bleeding, like stomach ulcers, a history of bleeding in the brain, or severe liver problems.
9:48 am
tell your doctor about bleeding, new or unexpected shortness of breath, any planned surgery, and all medicines you take. talk to your doctor about brilinta. i'm doing all i can. that includes brilinta. if you can't afford your medication, astra zeneca may be able to help.
9:49 am
a new republican president hosting a female british prime minister while 36 years ago it was of course ronald reagan and
9:50 am
margaret thatcher. on friday donald trump and theresa may. we're joined for a preview of the first meeting, there is a special reason why the first visitor is a special visitor. >> well, it's great for us that the prime minister has been able to come over here as the first visitor to see the new president. when they had the first conversation just after the election victory, the president mentioned that he hoped to recreate the thatcher/reagan relationship and that's very much the prime minister's wish, so we're really thrilled she's coming over here on thursday to talk to the republican retreat and on friday to see the president in the white house. it's great news. >> are there parallels? i was privileged to interview then late well the president lady thatcher but the prime minister the many times she came here. in those years she was mentoring
9:51 am
ronald reagan on the world stage when he began at the g7, but they became so close. do you envision this kind of relationship, relatively new, each of them. >> both of them are new, you're right. prime minister has been in office since last summer, president just coming into office we're seeing him a week after he, after the inauguration. i wouldn't want to use the word mentoring, but i think there is every prospect on the basis of two very positive phone calls they've had, that they can strike up an extremely close personal relationship and certainly that's the prime minister's intention when she comes over. >> on the global trade issues, first of all, he extremely you know, supportive on brexit. she has now said she wants an immediate in march negotiation, but the courts have now ruled that it has to go to parliament. how much of a setback is that? >> the government juis disappointed with the court ruling but we live under the
9:52 am
rule of law in the uk and will accept it and will put forward the bill that the supreme court requires in the coming days, and we are still confident we will launch the article 15 negotiations by the end of march. and remember, the supreme court ruling is about whether you needed a parliamentary vote or not, not about the principle of brexit on which the outcome from the referendum was very clear and that's what the government will take forward when the negotiations begin. >> what do you see as the similarities potentially? where can they come together? donald trump, theresa may? >> well, first of all, the incoming administration has been very positive about doing a free trade deal with us. now we can't actually sign the free trade deal until the moment we leave the european union but we can do a lot of preparatory work on it, so that is a clear point which we can have as an outcome from this meeting. otherwise, we will be saying how important nato is as a bedrock
9:53 am
of european security, kept us safe and secure in europe for the last 50 years, and we will be supporting what the president has said about the importance of combating terrorism and of eliminating daesh. >> isis. >> isis. >> but at the same time the satisfied that nato is obsolete. he challenged multilateral organizations that are fundamental to european defense. >> well, when he and the prime minister talked in their second conversation they talked about nato and they agreed on the importance and what has contributed to european security. we agree with the president, by the way, that every member of nato should contribute 2% of its gdp to defense spending. i worked as national security adviser on the wales summit in 2014. that was written into the wales outcome into the communique that came out every country around the table committed 2%.
9:54 am
only five of us i think so far delivering on that commitment so it's important that all the other members of nato do that and that's a point where we strongly agree with the incoming administration. >> donald trump has had a war of words with u.s. intelligence, if you will, and some intelligence officials current and former have suggested to me that this creates tensions with foreign intelligence services who are critical partners that we share, we depend on their information. they're in places that we can't go. what advice do you think that he should heed about how you deal with your own intelligence services and the impact on foreign services as well? >> the relationship between the british intelligence agencies and the u.s. intelligence agencies is extraordinarily exceptionally close, and we would expect that to continue. it's one of the strongest elements of what i a special relationship between the and
9:55 am
the u.s. evything we have heard from individuals in the new administration it's very supportive of that continuing and indeed becoming stronger. so we're confident that, when the prime minister and the president meet, that the strength of that intelligence relationship and security relationship as well as the broader aspects of the relationship will be maintained. >> and interestingly, before tereheresa may meets with donal trump or during her visit, she's going to be going to philadelphia and meeting with the republican leaders and their retreat. what does she want to hear from the republican members of congress? >> well we're very flattered and honored that the republican party invited her. i think she's the first serving head of government to go and talk to them, and she's within been invited to make a speech, she'll talk about her objectives for her administration in the uk and the international issues challenging both governments and the international community. she'sing will be keen to meet the senior figures from the
9:56 am
hill, speaker ryan, majority leader mcconnell and talk to them about how they intend to take forward the agenda they share with the administration. so opportunity both to speak to them about objectors and hear how things unfold over the next year. >> i hope she doesn't mind the venue where a f things happened in 1776 that were perhaps less positive. >> it's a great city. i've been there myself and we look forward to going there again. >> presumably not to go to independence hall? >> i think she'll be tied up with making a speech to the republican retreat and with meeting all the republican leaders. >> a real diplomat. sir kim durroch, pleasure. >> we take you back to the senate budget committee, the confirmation on nick mulvaney for the office of management budget. moments ago jeff merkley asking about the controversy of crowd size at last week's inaugural.
9:57 am
>> i wanted to talk where senator cotton was, referred to you as a bold truth teller. i have behind me two pictures that were taken at about the same time of day in 2009, and 2017. which crowd is larger, the 2009 crowd or the 2017 crowd? >> senator if you'll allow me to give the disclaimer i'm not sure how this ties from omb, from that picture it appears the crowd on the left-hand side is bigger than the right-hand side. >> thank you, the president disagreed about this in his news report. he said it's a lie. we caught them. we caught them in a beauty, referring to the press reporting, says it looked like a million, a million and a half people. rodney and his new business.
9:58 am
he teaches lessons to stanley... and that's kind of it right now. but rodney knew just what to do...he got quickbooks. it organizes all his accounts, so he knows where he stands in an instant. ahhh...that's a profit. which gave him the idea to spend a little cash on some brilliant marketing! ha, clever. wow, look at all these new students! way to grow, rodney! know where you stand instantly. visit quickbooks.com.
9:59 am
10:00 am
everything your family touches sticks with them. make sure the germs they bring home don't stick around. use clorox disinfecting products. because no one kills germs better than clorox. and that does it for this edition of "andrea mitchell reports."

88 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on