Skip to main content

tv   The Last Word With Lawrence O Donnell  MSNBC  March 9, 2017 10:00pm-11:01pm PST

10:00 pm
circuit u.s. court of appeals. tonight washington attorney general bob ferguson says he believes that same ruling that stopped the first version of the ban should still apply to the second version of the ban because it is basically the same ban, basically the same policy. you can hear that argument from him in person right now because he's about to be a guest on "the lard word" with ari melber. that does it tonight. now it's time for "the last word" with ari melber. >> donald trump facing three lawsuits on the travel band and on one of his controversial hotels. the attorney general who dealt the administration its first big loss is going up against the administration again. republicans worried that donald trump who says he loves wikileaks isn't showing any love to the cia after it was hand by wikileaks. >> welcome to the wikileaks press conference on the cia.
10:01 pm
the central intelligence agency lost control of its entire cyber weapons arsenal. >> i love reading those wikis. >> i think you have to assume this is purposely timed. >> the cloud of russia continues to darken over this white house. >> fbi director jim comey met with lawmakers today. >> do you believe that barack obama wiretapped trump tower? >> there's no evidence of that. >> this is the closest we will ever get to repealing and replacing obamacare. >> this bill as written today simply would not pass the senate. >> wonderful deals, great deals. that's what i do. >> the time is here, the time is now. >> health care plan two, repeal and revenge. >> good evening.
10:02 pm
sometimes the most important story is not what donald trump is saying, it's what he's not saying. tonight we can report president trump specifically refusing to do something every other president has considered a constitutional duty and a no-brainer, confront those who attack the cia or steal from it. consider that as you hear this remarkable ducking from the president today when he refused to say anything critical of the alleged criminal theft of cia materials by that increasingly influential player in american politics, wikileaks. >> thank you very much. thank you. >> document dump from wikileaks. any thought? >> to be clear, that is not a random moment. it's been over two and a half days since wikileaks posted documents.
10:03 pm
the president remains oddly silent about wikileaks, an organization of course he openly praised back when its leaks were helping him in the campaign. and that's not all. consider that president trump, a man who relishes a fight and says he always punches back harder than he's hit, president trump not punching back against attacks from wikileaks' founder in exile, julian assange. >> the central intelligence agency lost control of its entire cyber weapons arsenal. this is an historic act of devastaing incompetence to have created such an arsenal and stored it all in one place and not secured it. >> now, if the president's biding his time to make a formal statement, perhaps his staff would confront assange and wikileaks. >> we're not commenting on the current situation. the cia put out a statement regarding lgt -- the current situation, i would refer you to that. >> that is what the white house will not discuss. we know the circles of
10:04 pm
activities in trump's world with russia are wielding information. suspicious behaior isn't always a could crime. the senate intelligence committee is seek top aides' testimony on russia, paul manafort, michael flynn and former policy adviser carter page. that's a congressional inquiry. executive branch inquiries include manafort associate with linking to russian intel and as rachel was documenting in that russia report last night, something has trump officials now publicly changing their story. maybe it's the investigations, maybe it's second thoughts. but we have new public accounts of how trump aides rewrote the gop platform to help russia. former trump aide j.d. gordon used to say he had no role in it. now he said he did change the platform, warming it towards russia because of donald trump. as all these shifts unfold, we don't know how they track with these investigations. it's hard to ever learn about investigations in realtime because they're secret. legislators can get some information about them and some legislators get more than others. take the gang of eight. under federal law these are the eight congressional leaders who
10:05 pm
get special briefings on intelligence, which can include investigations, and it is those leaders who fbi director james comey was briefing today. now, we have no idea what they talked about. we can infer from that rsvp list it was not about a drug raid. it was at least about some kind of intelligence, maybe russian, maybe somewhere else. here is a senator on the intelligence committee saying, yes, if it looks like a duck, it's probably a duck. if the timing of all these leaks seems to coincide with this growing understanding of this russia connection, maybe that's not a coincidence. >> i think you have to assume that this is purposefully timed, coming at a moment in which we seem to be getting closer and coaster to understanding the true nature of the connections between the trump campaign and the russian government, a moment when investigations are stepping up inside congress and pressure building for investigations outside congress.
10:06 pm
you know, if you look at everything that the russians did during the campaign, they were all times according to moments of weakness in the trump operation. >> if you look at everything the linking to russian intel and as rachel was documenting in that russia report last night, something has trump officials now publicly changing their story. maybe it's the investigations, maybe it's second thoughts.
10:07 pm
but we have new public accounts of how trump aides rewrote the gop platform to help russia. former trump aide j.d. gordon used to say he had no role in it. now he said he did change the platform, warming it towards russia because of donald trump. as all these shifts unfold, we don't know how they track with these investigations. it's hard to ever learn about investigations in realtime because they're secret. legislators can get some information about them and some legislators get more than others. take the gang of eight. under federal law these are the eight congressional leaders who get special briefings on intelligence, which can include investigations, and it is those leaders who fbi director james comey was briefing today. now, we have no idea what they talked about. we can infer from that rsvp list it was not about a drug raid.
10:08 pm
well as jeremy bash, former chief of staff to leon panetta. because you wrote the piece, what did you mean by it? >> i think the timing reeks to high heaven. donald trump went into a meltdown on saturday in which he accused president obama of wiretapping him without evidence and he got pummelled over the weekend for making these baseless allegations, which even the white house could not possibly support. what happens on tuesday, lo and behold wikileaks, which has been established to be essentially a front for russian intelligence, on tuesday wikileaks comes out with this treasure trove of cia hacking capabilities and wiretapping capabilities, which gives the impression of supporting the trump narrative.
10:09 pm
>> and that timing, as you know, is similar to what we saw during the campaign, which these were not random leaks where a traditional news organization gathers information and publishes as they publicize. >> what you've seen putin do in the past is he health insurance waponnized information and wikileaks has been one of the weapons he fires time and time again. even if there is not complicity between trump and putin, it's striking how they have a confluence of interest. >> and david, that comes at a time that we have never seen a modern era president object to this kind of national security problem and this kind of leak. >> it's hard to think back just a few weeks ago the way, you know, the pace of news in the
10:10 pm
last month or would. but in december/january, donald trump was compaing the intelligence community of the united states to nazi germany. he spent months and months ducking the intelligence community assessment that russia had meddled in our elections and had done so to benefit him. when he finally got around to agreeing that was probably the case, he downplayed it and said everybody hacks sometimes. so he again and again has denigrated or dismissed the work of the intelligence community because it does put him in a very, very uncomfortable position. i have to say to max maybe the
10:11 pm
piece had you today was perhaps the first article and commentary in 35 years that i agreed with. because what we're dealing with now is no longer anything ideological. this is not left, this is not right, this is not liberal, this is not conservative. this is about the honesty and integrity of the electoral system and whether we have a person in charge of the national security community who understands how it works, who is competent to lead it and who will work with it. >> i agree, david. and i commend your work in uncovering some of the scandal. i totally agree this should be a nonpartisan issue and sadly it's not. it's really revolting to me to see republicans reflexively rushing to defend not, for example, just donald trump but also wikileaks. you have people like sean hannity furthering this russia propaganda line by suggesting falsely that the evidence of the russian interference in our election was somehow a false flag operation by the cia. i mean, that's nuts.
10:12 pm
but that is the message that putin and wikileaks are trying to send to benefit donald trump. unfortunately all too many republicans are biting on this. >> jeremy, to put it in a sentence, it was said today the trump administration has treated wikileaks as an ally and the cia as an adversary. is that right? >> it certainly is. they declared 35 russian intelligence officers and closed two russian intelligence facilities in the united states. what did the russians do? they told mike flynn we're not going to respond. they held their fire, they bided their time and now they've responded. the intelligence community expected the response and here it's come. >> so, jeremy, take us inside the cia or d.o.d. where you've
10:13 pm
worked. how serious are the questions here about whether good faith, evidence-based national security council will even be heard or is there a fear, however uncomfortable it is to get into, in one country there's a total block on doing what might be guardedly in the u.s. interest. >> there was concern their warnings about russian interference were not being heeded by the president and his new team. i think now the leader of the pentagon gets it, and they are worried about the commander in chief. >> takes a listen to this totally wild, franklylibellous accusations. >> do you believe barack obama wiretapped trump tower?
10:14 pm
>> there as no evidence of this but that's an appropriate subject for the senate intelligence committee to take a look at. and they are looking at whatever the russians were doing during the election. >> david, does that sleight of hand concern you? because of course if you take investigation seriously, certainly i was talking about at the top of the hour here, the senate intelligence investigation should deal with serious lines of inquiry and not waste its time on other things or by investigating a false claim, give it somehow some little slice of life? >> well, yesterday i said you can't fact check crazy, and you also can't really investigate crazy. i mean, you make a good point. if the intelligence communities -- committees used donald
10:15 pm
trump's remarks as an excuse to expend time and resources on investigating a conspiracy theory that has absolutely no basis in fact, that will be to the detriment of an investigation on the serious matters. and i -- you know, i can't say i quite feel for mitch mcconnell but this is a problem the republicans have to face. they have the leader of their party and of the country now who says things that are just factually bonkers and they can't really say that in public because once you concede that the president of the united states is not tethered to reality in one regard, it throws everything out the window. but what he did last weekend i think was pretty good evidence that this is a guy whose assessments of reality cannot be trusted. >> max. >> well, i completely agree. i mean, this is truly unprecedented. we kind of take it with a grain of salt because, hey, it's just donald trump and we're used to him saying crazy things, but this is not normal for a
10:16 pm
president to accuse his predecessor of being involved in a water-gate like conspiracy and not provide an iota of evidence. this is seriously deranged behavior that should bother anybody about the person who occupies the oaf office and i'm truly worried the republicans are his enabler. they're afraid to challenge him. they realize how crazy this is but they're afraid to come out and do so. and they're going to investigate these crazy charges and not give consideration o to the much better grounded charges of possible collusion between the trump campaign and the kremlin. unfortunately i see no evidence that's going to happen unless the justice department appoints a special counsel. i don't think there's any chance republicans on the hill are going to do the aggressive investigation this charge would warrant or the kind they would do if hillary clinton was president. imagine what kind of meltdown if this were accusations leveled against hillary clinton. >> and put politics aside ash
10:17 pm
special prosecutor is one of the only ways to be independent and give. max and jeremy, thanks so much for joining us. coming up, the man who arguably handed donald trump the biggest defeat of his presidency. now he might be selling trumpcare. can he close the deal with skeptical republicans and the voters, the majority of whom didn't vote for him. our 18 year old was in an accident. when i call usaa it was that voice asking me, "is your daughter ok?" that's where i felt relief. it actually helped to know that somebody else cared and wanted make sure that i was okay. that was really great. we're the rivera family, and we will be with usaa for life. usaa. we know what it means to serve. call today to talk about your insurance needs.
10:18 pm
10:19 pm
the president in the past has put his names on buildings. >> when it comes to great steaks, i've just raised the stakes. >> at trump university, we build great things. >> i think we're less concerned with labels right now and more concerned with, as and results. ctions and results.
10:20 pm
america's beverage companies have come together to bring you more ways to help reduce calories from sugar. with more great tasting beverages with less sugar or no sugar at all, smaller portion sizes, clear calorie labels, and signs reminding everyone to think balance before choosing their beverages. we know you care about reducing the sugar in your family's diet, and we're working to support your efforts. more beverage choices. smaller portions. less sugar. balanceus.org. afoot and light-hearted i take to the open road. healthy, free, the world before me, the long brown path before me leading wherever i choose. the east and the west are mine. the north and the south are mine.
10:21 pm
all seems beautiful to me. to take advantage of this offer on a volvo s90, visit your local dealer. you know, most presidents get sued but not like this. in less than 24 hours, the president was hit with a lawsuit about trademarks, about the old travel ban, the new travel ban and about a hotel in dc abusing the power to compete with other companies. the hotel lawsuit was especially unusual, made legally possible by the president's decision to maintain ownership of his companies while in office. in the movie "scar face" it says first you get the money, then you get the power.
10:22 pm
this suit argues you get the power first and then up get the money from people seeking to curry favor for power. >> in d.c. people are constantly looking for ways to curry favor with politicians. and now there is a trump hotel. president trump's name well known, his ownership and presence give his hotel a big leg up in winning the competition for this business. we have all seen the president and members of his team encourage people to go there, using the power of his office to influence people, to patronize his establishments, which brings him unfair financial gain. >> now, this dispute is in a local d.c. court. so much has the saying goes, they're not making a federal case out of it.
10:23 pm
but one attorney argues it goes to the heart of federal corruption. >> whether you are a foreign government, a lobbyist or a special interest group, there is no easier way to funnel money directly to the president of the united states with no transparency whatsoever than by spending money in the president's hotel or his restaurants or through an event hosted in that facility. >> now that's more of an allegation than evidence, but the new suit does quote an anonymous lobbyist to say trump staff hang out at the bar to see who spends money there. one pays attention who is buying the $1,000 wine. the wine list does top out at $ $2,500. trump is also facing legal chal -- challenges to his new travel
10:24 pm
ban. >> when president trump and his administration changed the order, they didn't take away based on national origin and religious. now the administration has set up a new immigration system that has no standards, that is something -- and also is invading the province of congress. >> then there's the third suit this afternoon, the man who has had more success blocking president trump in court than any other person in this country, washington state
10:25 pm
attorney general bob ferguson came out with an aggressive move. he won the original travel ban and he used this to put the ball back in trump's court arguing if the new ban is basically the same as the old ban, then the victory that was won against the last ban should just apply and block the new one. and if it doesn't, it's up to trump's lawyer to explain why not. in law it's called shifting the burden. in politics, it called taking in prisoners. if it fails, critics may say he really overplayed his hand. who's right? well, bob ferguson is here to explain the strategy, again the attorney general for the state of washington. good evening. why are you challenging the ban this way? >> well, it unconstitutional and it's pretty straight forward. while there have been some changes with the revised order that narrows the scope of the executive order, the bottom line is two key provisions that we challenged originally, the ban
10:26 pm
on the now six nations and refugee ban, those are virtually unchanged. our view is that we have a temporary restraining order already in place, language hasn't changed, therefore quite simply it still applies. >> what if the judge says to you maybe it does but this is a big deal, we would have to have a normal hearing like the last one, you don't get a short cut. >> we would welcome a hearing. we welcome that because each time we've had an orargument against the department of justice and the trump administration, we've won. but the bottom line is you don't get to evade a temporary restraining order just by making a few changes to the executive order. if it's fundamentally essentially a muslim ban it, is what it is and the court should uphold and maintain that temporary restraining order.
10:27 pm
>> that's important. are you saying this is kind of a trick the trump administration pulled to try to protect the same policy sm. >> i'm saying it can't be a game of whack a mole for a court. when a temporary restraining order is put in place and as you know, ari, it's a tough burden to get that put in place. once you have it, the defendant cannot evade but still leaves problem c and d in effect. if do you that, the injunction should stay in place. but at the end of the day, two key provisions, if you just compare the language, they are virtually identical and therefore the president cannot evade the restraining order that's already in place from judge row bert. >> you called it a muslim bandbecause as you know, this order doesn't use the word muslim. you're making a larger argument about what's really going on, what's behind just maybe the p.c. language. i want to hear judge robe art. he was skeptical that can you
10:28 pm
take any old campaign rhetoric and use that as sort of the intent standard. take a listen. >> it seems to me it's a bit of a reach to say the president's clearly anty muslim or anty islam based on what he said in new hampshire in june. >> the argument there is, well, there's been a shift. and the administration is going to argue that shift has continued. whatever he said in june and now in response partly to your litigation, they've tried to evolve again. they're going to say look, we're making the changes. you can't read the president's mind. what's your response? >> first judge rowbart asked tough questionsin and that's his job. bot bottom line is the intent is the intent. and judge row bart and the ninth circuit agreed we were move likely than not to uks ed of a temporary restraining order. that's why we remain confident. those two key provisions, you
10:29 pm
compare them side by side, the language is virtually identical that judge row bart will not change that temporary restraining order. >> what other evidence do you need on the folks that and here's rudy giuliani when he talked about the goal here. >> when he first announced it, he said muslim ban. he called me and said put a commission together. we focused on instead of religion, danger. the areas of the world that create danger for us, which is a factual basis, not a religious basis. perfectly legal.
10:30 pm
>> do you want to try to get rudy giuliani to testify? >> i think there's a debate amongst my team on who gets the opportunity to do that. so, yes, hour intention is to obtain documents, e-mails and take depositions of administration officials. and to your point the individual from the administration you mentioned, mr. miller has said publicly in the last couple of weeks that the policy of this ban is not going to change. that, again, will be something we use in court to go back to judge robart to show the administration has not changed the underlying policy here and you issued a restraining order order the burden is on the federal government as to why he should lift that injunction. >> you've got a record here of 1-0, which is better than a lot of folks in this field but we're taking a very big swing with this strategy. i appreciate you making time. >> thank you, ari. >> have a good night.
10:31 pm
coming up, the 45th president with the 141% approval rating says he can help sell trumpcare to the skeptics. and exclusive breaking news about the time that kellyanne conway apparently broke federal ethics rules on, where else, national tv. why are you deleting these photos?
10:32 pm
because my teeth are yellow. why don't you use a whitening toothpaste? i'm afraid it's bad for my teeth. try crest 3d white. crest 3d white diamond strong toothpaste and rinse... ...gently whiten... ...and fortify weak spots. use together for 2 times stronger enamel. crest 3d white. you may know what it's like to deal with high... and low blood sugar. januvia (sitagliptin) is a once-daily pill that, along with diet and exercise, helps lower blood sugar. januvia works when your blood sugar is high and works less when your blood sugar is low, because it works by enhancing your body's own ability to lower blood sugar. plus januvia, by itself, is not likely to cause weight gain or low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). januvia should not be used in patients with type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. tell your doctor if you have a history of pancreatitis. serious side effects can happen, including pancreatitis which may be severe and lead to death. stop taking januvia and call your doctor right away if you have severe pain in your stomach area which may be pancreatitis. tell your doctor right away and stop taking januvia if you have
10:33 pm
an allergic reaction that causes swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat, or affects your breathing or causes rash or hives. kidney problems sometimes requiring dialysis have been reported. some people may develop severe joint pain. call your doctor if this happens. using januvia with a sulfonylurea or insulin may cause low blood sugar. to reduce the risk, your doctor may prescribe a lower dose of the sulfonylurea or insulin. your doctor may do blood tests before and during treatment to check your kidneys. if you have kidney problems a lower dose may be prescribed. side effects may include upper respiratory tract infection, stuffy or runny nose, sore throat, and headache. for help lowering your blood sugar talk to your doctor about januvia.
10:34 pm
our plan will be much better health care at a much lower
10:35 pm
cost. okay? nothing to complain about. >> donald trump will head back to the campaign trail holding a rally in tennessee. the announcement comes a day after sean spicer said this. >> we're going to be aggressively going after -- talking about the solution that we have for health care. i think you will see a lot of travel and a lot of activity by the president and all of the administration. >> meanwhile, vice president pence will travel to kentucky saturday for the republican health care bill. republicans, though, slamming their party's bill, senator tom cotton tweeting "house health care bill can't pass senate without major changes to my friends in the house pause, start over, get it right, don't get it fast. president trump may face a bigger challenge than president obama faced originally in 2009. trump has a 41% approval rating. obama at the time, 62%.
10:36 pm
that's when he first went on the road to promote obamacare so he could actually say this. >> we have the american nurses associations, we have the american medical association on board because america's doctors and nurses know how badly we need reform. the aarp supports this policy and agree with us that reform must happen this year. >> that doesn't settle the debate but those kind of groups are helpful and they all currently oppose this new republican health care proposal. the chief medical officer for the centers for medicare and medicaid opposes the bill. it's led some to say to republicans, yes, this is hard. we told you so. health care of any kind, more coverage, more rules, more subsidies, more state control, whatever you want to do, it's difficult. we told you so. that was the message. one of those people who knows a lot about this joins us next. [ ominous music ]
10:37 pm
[ sniffs ] little girl: daddy! trapped by your unrelenting nasal allergies?
10:38 pm
[ meow ] [ sneezes ] try clarispray clarispray provides unsurpassed relief. it's 24 hour, non-drowsy and prescription strength. free yourself with clarispray, from the makers of claritin. could save money on car insurance.nce you know, the kind of driver who always buckles up... comes to a complete stop... and looks both ways, no matter what. because esurance believes that's the kind of driver who deserves to save money on car insurance. in fact, safe drivers who switch from geico to esurance could save hundreds. so if you switch to esurance, saving is a pretty safe bet. auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance. an allstate company. click or call.
10:39 pm
10:40 pm
what my plan is that i want to take care of everybody. i'm not going to leave the lower 20% that can't afford insurance. >> so no one who has this health insurance through obamacare will lose it or end up with -- >> we want no one. we want the answer to be no one. >> joining us now is the center for american progress president and one of the authors of the aca, as well as back with us mother jones' david corn. neera, what do you make of all this? >> you know, if i were to design a health care plan to hurt the sick and hurt people who need it and help the people who don't need it, i would have come up with this health care plan. it is upside down. paul ryan and now donald trump have developed a plan that if
10:41 pm
you're wroung and healthy, it's great for you. if you're 27 and make $75,000 a year, it's great. if you're 40 to 65 years old, live in a rufl part -- rural part of the country, you get walloped. it's not just that you get an increase, you get walloped. i think that's why doctors and hospitals and nurses have opposed this. when donald trump said no one would lose coverage, it would be a better health care system, he wasn't telling the truth. it was totally false. this plan achieves none of those promises. >> and this is the plan on the table that paul ryan says is the train that can leave the station. obviously these numbers move around. according from early estimates from brookings and others, 20 million enrolled under obamacare. the red part, 15 million, is the people who would lose coverage over a decade according to
10:42 pm
estimates. so potentially a huge majority, a bulk share of those who got coverage. >> donald trump said repeatedly under the campaign under his plan costs would go down, everybody would be covered and you'd have more choice and more doctors to go to. none of that is true. it like many other things he said unfortunately. i don't think he cares about the detail. i think he cares about selling and selling means often saying things that aren't quite true. you also have pressures on the system that could end up completely destroying the individual market for a health care. so that number could get even higher. why don't we have a good number now? because republicans refuse to submit this to cbo for what we call in washington scoring. they will tell us how much it would cost, who would win, who would lose and how many people would gain coverage and how many
10:43 pm
people would lose coverage and they don't want those numbers while they're trying to get those bills rushed through committee in the house. >> it's sort of like trying to plan a vacation without looking at what anything costs. it's not something most people would do with their own money or at least responsible people. neera, take a listen to paul ryan saying, hey, you might hate this but this is all you get. take a listen.closest we will ever get to repealing and replacing obamacare. the time is here, the time is now, this is the moment and this is the closest it will ever happen. it comes down to a binary choice. we now have the ability through the budget rules that we have in the senate with our three-pronged approach to actually make good on our word.
10:44 pm
>> this is dramatic talk, neera, this is dramatic talk. this is some real big pitch he's making on the politics. do you think folks in congress are going to buy that? >> you know, i mean, what's so interesting about the debate we're having and the pitch he's making is he's saying these things while donald trump is telling conservatives to their face that they can negotiate something different and he's -- this isn't really his plan and he's going to make changes, et cetera, to make it even more conservative and make it hurt even more people. i mean, the reality is that if you really want to listen to people's promises, the promise donald trump made was that no one would lose their coverage and that is turning out to be false. and who are the victims of that going to be? it going to be a lot of people, but it's going to be a lot of people who someone in this
10:45 pm
election to donald trump. people who live in rural communities, people who are older between 50 and 64-year-olds are going to have the greatest increase. in fact, many estimates have it that half of people who have gained coverage who are over 50 and under 65 will lose their coverage. that's a lot of people who voted for donald trump in places like arkansas and kentucky and even tennessee and i wonder why paul ryan doesn't care about the promises that donald trump made or other republicans made to make the system better, not worse. >> david, by one count five of the top states that are going to lose the most coverage were all trump states. >> we know that the big picture is that red states tend to get more federal aid than blue states so trump voters are getting a better deal but somehow they feel shafted on the way the government works now. what ryan said today is so absurd. it kind of link saying if you
10:46 pm
have to take your appendix out, you can't take a good surgery, just take a gun and blow it, that's the closest you're going to get. kind of what he's saying. and a lot of conservatives and republicans in the senate are saying, no, we don't have to go with something that's crap if we don't want to. we're not going to go for this being bum rushed here. i think right now the politics look really bad and as the guy who is always touted in washington for being a thinker, a policy wonk, who says he cares about the poor, paul ryan is showing under the emperor's clothes, there's nothing there. >> go ahead, neera. >> there's no reason they have to do this now. people testified, experts testified years ago. they could do the same thing now. this is an artificial time deadline he just created.
10:47 pm
he knows the more people see it, the less popular it will be. >> it it not literally like shooting yourself in the stomach. >> don't take me literally. why would you do that? >> if you've learned nothing from the election, david corn is a -- >> we'll take you seriously, not literally. >> coming up, we have a breaking news exclusive. kellyanne conway was pushing ivanka trump's clothing line in the public. we'll show you secret e-mails about that next. or like a balm? you know? or a cooling ointment for the skin. how about a motorcycle? or some bee repellant. i'm just spit-balling here. nothing stops us from doing right by our customers. ally. do it right.
10:48 pm
told you not to swat 'em. ally. do it right. trust #1 doctor recommended dulcolax. use dulcolax tablets for gentle dependable relief. suppositories for relief in minutes. and dulcoease for comfortable relief of hard stools. dulcolax. designed for dependable relief. ♪♪ let your reign begin. evony, the mobile game. download now. how's tcheck it out.t going? lights. meeting configuration. blueprints. call hruska. we've gotta set up a meeting. sure. how do you spell that?
10:49 pm
abreu, albert, allen, anderson c, anderson r... you know what? i'll just tell him myself. door. andrade... see why 3,000 companies a month are switching to vonage. if you have moderate to severe ulcerative colitis or crohn's, and your symptoms have left you with the same view, it may be time for a different perspective. if other treatments haven't worked well enough, ask your doctor about entyvio, the only biologic developed and approved just for uc and crohn's. entyvio works by focusing right in the gi-tract to help control damaging inflammation and is clinically proven to begin helping many patients achieve both symptom relief as well as remission. infusion and serious allergic reactions can happen during or after treatment. entyvio may increase risk of infection, which can be serious. while not reported with entyvio, pml, a rare, serious brain infection caused by a virus may be possible.
10:50 pm
tell your doctor if you have an infection, experience frequent infections, or have flu-like symptoms, or sores. liver problems can occur with entyvio. if your uc or crohn's medication isn't working for you, ask your gastroenterologist about entyvio. entyvio. relief and remission within reach. go buy ivanka's stuff. it's a wonderful line, i own it. i'm going to give a free commercial here. >> that was kellyanne conway's free commercial pushing ivanka trump's clothing line. we have obtained the e-mails which show the president's
10:51 pm
lawyers scrambling after that incident to reassure the ethics office that he was, quote, taking appropriate action to address her conduct. and they said the president should follow ethics rules to not misuse his office, which would mean not sending out that tweet he did to attack nordstrom. we also found out the white house should consider disciplining conway. these newly distributed e-mails shows the white house is getting advice and apparently declining it. and there is "concern" about conway's misuse of position, lack of discipline and more broadly what it calls the trump white house's incorrect and baseless claims that other employees don't have to follow ethics rules.
10:52 pm
we tracked down these e-mails because it didn't feel like this story was over and it looks like the ethics office doesn't think so either. coming up, one democratic lawmaker wants to protect your tax dollar from donald trump's campaign pledges. ooohh!! aaaahh!! uh! hooooly mackerel. wow. nice. strength and style. it's truck month. get 0% financing for 60 months plus find your tag and get $5500 on select chevy silverado pick-ups when you finance with gm financial. find new roads at your local chevy dealer.
10:53 pm
whether it's connecting one of or bringing wifi to 65,000 fans. campuses. businesses count on communication, and communication counts on centurylink.
10:54 pm
a democratic lawmaker wants to make sure your tax dollars aren't going to help donald trump keep his campaign promises. she's here to explain next. to make sure your tax dollars to
10:55 pm
uh, excuse me, waiter. i ordered the soup... of course, ma'am. my apologies. c'mon, caesar. let's go. caesar on a caesar salad? surprising. excuse me, pardon me. what's not surprising? how much money matt saved by switching to geico. could i get my parking validated? fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more. at angie's list, we believe there are certain things you can count on, like a tired dog is a good dog. [ dog barking, crashing ] so when you need a dog walker or a handyman, we can help you find the right person for the job. discover all the ways we can help at angie's list. it can seem like triggers pop up everywhere. luckily there's powerful, 24-hour, non-drowsy claritin. it provides relief of symptoms that can be triggered by over 200 different allergens.
10:56 pm
live claritin clear. make sure your tax dollars we're building the wall. we're building the wall. in fact, it going to start soon, way ahead of schedule. way ahead of schedule. >> way ahead of schedule. after donald trump made that promise, the d.h.s. did post a notice looking for bids to help the president build that border wall. but the process could meet a lot of resistance in congress, which is going to have to pay for it. here's senate minority leader chuck schumer when he was asked about democrats potentially phil -- filibustering any money for the wall? >> the law is impractical and unpopular and we would say to the president why don't you get
10:57 pm
mexico to pay for it? >> i'm in favor of border security. there are some places along the border where that's probably not the best way to secure the border. >> do you believe that mexico will pay for it? >> ah, no. >> it's a punch line. that brings us to our next guest, wisconsin democratic congresswoman gwen moore. she's introduced legislation that would bar tax money for paying for the wall. >> i certainly agree with mitch mcconnell that mexico has indicated very stridently they won't pay for the wall and my taxpayers don't want to pay for the wall either. even those folks interested in paying for the wall doesn't want to contribute to the deficit. so mitch mcconnell has estimated it will cost about $12 billion,
10:58 pm
$15 billion to build the wall. m.i.t. has said it's going to cost closer to $40 billion. that's real money. when we start talking about zeroing out funding for the violence against women act or cutting snap food stamps or medicaid, i'm concerned about the cost of this as well. >> anyone who has had a contract to do work on their hope knows it adds up. here is the budget director talking about the price per mile. >> the president wants a little money to start the wall. >> so what's the range of the cost? >> starts at 8 million per mile, goes up to about 25 million pr mile. it just depends when you're talking about 2,000 miles or so. >> so when you put that in context, 25 million per mile versus what? >> oh, you talking to me, ari?
10:59 pm
>> yeah, back to you. i'm asking 25 million per mile versus what else would you want that money to go to? >> exactly. they're talking about zeroing out the violence against women act funding, which is so critical, talking about block granting medicaid. they are constantly cutting food stamps. you have 50 million people in this country that rely on it during economic downturns. and it's not just the deficit money. it's bad for the environment, this concrete wall. many republicans have said that it is the least effective way to do border security. technology, border agents, other things might be more effective. >> congresswoman moore, we will keep an eye on your bill. thanks for telling us about it. >> thank you. >> i am ari melmelber. you can inkwir lees, the travel ban fight and a special segment on trump officials who have now allegedly lied before congress,
11:00 pm
what should happen. "the 11th hour" with brian williams is now. good evening once again, midnight tonight eastern time will mark the 50th day of the trump administration. >> no comment from the fbi good evening once again, midnight tonight eastern time will mark the 50th day of the trump administration. while the first 100 days is a standard benchmark for a new administration, tonigh

40 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on