Skip to main content

tv   The Last Word With Lawrence O Donnell  MSNBC  March 10, 2017 10:00pm-11:01pm PST

10:00 pm
congress. darrell issa had a town hall in his district during the congressional recess that a lot of his constituents went to but he didn't. he is apparently going to be doing two town halls tomorrow. they are both totally full up, oversubscribed. his office tells us they are looking for larger venues. but if you're going to keep an eye on people pressuring their members of congress this weekend, watch those darrell issa town halls. they should be hot. is that the right word? that does it for us. it's time for "the last word." >> i never miss a darrell issa town hall. what is free time for -- >> i know, your life is as exciting as mine. >> thanks a lot, rachel. have a nice weekend. >> the congressman who wants to limit the war powers tonight.
10:01 pm
and there is willing to teach us -- but still donald trump is scared silent tonight. he is afraid of even moving his mouth in the presence of reporters. and now he has vy good rn to be afraid. >> what is going on there? >> it's important that president trump tell the american public that he lied. >> will the president apologize to president obama for making such a serious charge? >> let's not get ahead of ourselves. >> 235,000 net new jobs were added to the u.s. economy in february. >> don't believe those phony numbers! >> they may have been phony in the past but they're very real
10:02 pm
now. >> the number's probably 28, 29. i even heard recently 42%. >> new research says that neanderthals used to relieve pain by chewing on a plant containing the main ingredient in aspirin, which is now called the new republican health care plan. >> '17 would been the year of disaster. >> you just described how insurance works. that's literally the definition of insurance. >> the president is living in fear of reporters tonight now more than ever. he is visibly afraid of being anywhere near reporters now. since donald trump lied about
10:03 pm
president obama tapping his phone during the presidential campaign, he has been afraid of having to answer reporters' questions about that. so in the few moments when reporters are allowed in the same room with the president, they are not allowed to ask any questions. when some of them try to do that, the president remains abjectly afraid to speak. >> donald trump's new lie about president obama is of course a violation of the president's oath of office. white house press secretary sean spicer knows for a fact that donald trump does not faithfully execute the office of the president of the united states. he knows donald trump lies to the american people regularly.
10:04 pm
sean spicer knows that that kind of lying is not faithfully executing the office of the present of the united ates. sean spicer's first day on the job was all it took to define him forever. as the single worst most incompetent, most untruthful white house press secretary in history. george washington didn't have a press secretary. his definition of faithfully executing the office of president of the united states was answering the question himself. the history of white house secretaries begins in 1929 and in reality ended in january of 2017 when sean spicer took the title and the paycheck and he made a mockery of the job on the first day. by lying about the least important thing ever argued about in a white house press briefing.
10:05 pm
>> this was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration period, both in person and around the globe. >> now 50 days in, sean spicer has grown comfortable enough to openly laugh about the fact that the president of the united states is a pathological liar, a liar who cannot stop himself from lying in ways that are instantly provable as lies. some in the white house press corps have redefined the standards of the presidency to a point so low that they, too, believe that the president's public and obvious lying is now a laughing matter. new windows into the president's lying open every day often where we least expect it. the routine monthly disclosure of the jobs report by the bureau of labor statistics has never before occasioned the exposure of the president as a pathological liar. until today. listen to this exchange in the
10:06 pm
white house press briefing room. >> in the past the president has referred to particular job reports as phony or totally fiction. does the president believe that this jobs report was accurate and a fair way to measure the economy? >> i talked to the president prior to this and he said to quote him very clearly. they may have been phony in the past but it's very real now. >> they may have been phony in the past but it's very real now. now, that's what the president actually told him to say. the bureau of labor statistics used the same method as they have for every previous employment calculation. it is impossible for it to have produced a real result before and never before and. >> in that room today understands that logic, which is why everyone in the room understood that what the president told sean spicer to say was ridiculous. and then the room was divided into those who thought the ridiculous was funny and those who thought it was offensive because it was an admission by
10:07 pm
the president of the united states that he had lied every other time he had mentioned the unemployment rate in the united states. >> the jobs report is fiction because all of the people that gave up -- >> it's total fiction? you don't think there have been improvements from the crash obviously? >> i honestly, i would say it's 09%. >> don't believe those phony numbers when you hear 4.9 and 5% unemployment. the number's probably 28, 29, as high as 35. >> the 5% figure is one of the biggest hoaxes. >> today the president found the time to retweet the drudge report's celebration of increase of 235,000 jobs in february. donald trump and the drudge report did in the celebrate an increase of an even larger number last february, 237,000 jobs because barack obama was president and the february before that when the jobs number
10:08 pm
went even higher, 238,000 jobs, donald trump and the drudge report saw nothing to celebrate because barack obama was president. sean spicer wants you to laugh along with him, that today is the first time that donald trump has not lied in reaction to a jobs report. an unnamed white house official has leaked to the associated press that the president learned about president obama tapping his own in an article posted in the purveyor of lies called breitbart news, which steve bannon used to run. there is of course no reason to believe that because there's no reason to believe anything, sourced to a white house headed by a pathological liar and populated with the most incompetent white house staff in history. in his political life donald trump knows he has gotten away with every lie he ever told beginning with the firstne. president obama's birth.
10:09 pm
he knows the political media will always give up eventually and move on because they always have. sometimes he specifically has ordered them to move on as in the case of president obama's birth certificate and they did. they obeyed. the rest of the time he just waits them out, which is what he's doing right now tonight. he's waiting for this question to go away. mr. president, any proof on the wiretapping? if he's lucky, that question will go away, if the american people are lucky, that question won't go away. america has had presidents who have lied. some of them have told very big lie, but we have never had a pathological liar who is willing to lie about anything and everything from the size of the crowd in front of him on inauguration day to criminal conduct by the previous president. the american news media has neff been confronted by a challenge like this before. it's an historic challenge. it comes a year after the
10:10 pm
historic challenge the american news media failed, the challenge of covering a pathological liar as a candidate. it has already yielded results including the resignation of michael flynn, who was a secret agent lobbying for the federal government for the trump campaign. the work would have been legal if he had registered as a foreign agent, which he did not. the failure to not register as a foreign agent could subject flynn to criminal prosecution. apparently realizing that possibility, general flynn has now retrctively filed registration as a foreign agent this week. michael flynn has issued no apology yet to the crowds that he led in chants of lock her up. >> lock her up, that's right.
10:11 pm
yeah, that's right, lock her up crowd is a tough crowd. they're ready to lock her up, even when no crime has been committed. they have enough evidence to lock up michael flynn. but trump world has never been good at apology. >> if there is no evidence that any wiretapping took place, will the president apologize to president obama for making such a serious charge? >> let's not get ahead of ourselves. i think it's important to see where that goes and i don't want to prejudge their work at this time.
10:12 pm
>> will he apologize about the birth certificate? donald trump still hasn't apologized to president obama for lying about his birth. he's not going to apologize. america knows that. and as the lies multiply upon themselves, the vigilance of the resistance to those lies and the contest of these four years if donald trump remains in office will be the contest between that resistance and the lie, between trump lies and the truth. today the truth won. twice. first of all, february jobs reports almost as good as president obama's february jobs report was accepted by republicans as a good jobs report. that is progress. that is a step toward the truth. and, second, the lock her up
10:13 pm
crowd is going to have to find someone else to lead their chants now that michael flynn has gone silent in and is surrounded by protective lawyers. joining us now, katherine rampel, an opinion columnist for "the washington post" who writes about business and economics and two msnbc political analysts. jonathan, the will it go away question is what the white house is wondering tonight. when will that question go away to the president about do you have any proof about the wiretap? >> they have a problem because on march 20th james comey is going to testify on capitol hill and he will testify truthfully. he will be asked about this and he will answer whether the wiretapping took place. now, you know, it's a little rich that comey hasn't come forward so far because he came forward during the campaign and
10:14 pm
that cost hillary clinton the presidency. he really should come forward now and tell us what happened. but i'm kind of glad he's not doing it for this reason. if he did and trump fired him, then we wouldn't have anybody preventing the fbi from being totally politicized by his replacement. strangely enough, i hope comey stays, especially now that they've fired all the u.s. everyone tos. he's got michael flynn to prosecute. talk about lock her up, he could get locked up for this. and there's some very good news, though, on the turkish front that i want to put out there because nobody has thought about this. if flynn had stayed in his job, the u.s. would have extradited a cleric living in pennsylvania who the turkish government blames for the coupe attempt and that man would have been executed in turkey. because of what happened to michael flynn that, man will live.
10:15 pm
>> michael flynn was publicly advocating that extradition while he was secretly being paid $500,000 as an agent of the government that wanted that extradition. >> i believe he even had an op-ed on the day after, advocating specifically this, not disclosing his financial relationship with the turkish government. to go back to what you were talking about before with the jobs numbers. you gave the administration credit for finally acknowledging the voracity of the jobs numbers. trump sailed into office on very brisk economic tail winds, consumer jobs report, a lot of other metrics. what happens when the numbers turn against him and he starts
10:16 pm
trying to tear down even more institutions of accountability, including those in his own government? that's what i'm terrified about. >> e.j., we know that day's coming as soon as the c.b.o. comes out. we'll get to that later. seeing the president now spending a week as the prisoner of his own lie, these look like hostage videos. the tradition of the white house is bring the cameras in for the photo-op, which is all this is supposed to be. when they do that, reporters go in with the cameras and some of them against the rules will shout out a question, not often expecting answers. every once in a while you get an answer so they never quit. so what we're capturing is the prisoner of his own silence now because of this madness that he unleashed on twitter saturday morning.
10:17 pm
>> well, photo-ops are now deep trump grimace watch. if you saw the look on that face, it was really remarkable as the reporters were trying to back up this lie. and i don't think this is something that can be let go of. because what he did, what this president accused of previous president of was a felony. and we can't accept the idea that twitter trump is one person and president trump is another person. he's now responsible. and what i worry about at that moment with sean spicer and everybody laughing that numbers are phony under obama and the same kind of numbers are fine under ump is that were going to normalize and institutionalize lying and i think we're going to have to fight lies every day. but we cannot let go of this charge that trump made until he
10:18 pm
says something, until the administration says something. >> the report in "the washington post" breaking tonight about attorneys for michael flynn saying that they had informed white house legal counsel during the transition that flynn might have to register with the government as a foreign agent and that phone call seemed to have raised no alarms within trump's team despite the unusual vicious of having a top national security post filled by someone whose work may have benefitted a foreign government. so, katherine, the report in the "washington post" indicating tonight that trump world was on notice about this. this was not something that they did not know. >> and yet vice president pence -- and he was still -- >> yet vice president pence claims the first inkling of any of this was when he first read it in the news, despite the fact that he was running the transition. it's mind boggling how shameless
10:19 pm
this administration is that they apparently dismissed claims that there was a foreign agent advising the president-elect, now president, previously candidate and now they're saying, oh, we had no idea, don't lookt us, don't point fingers at us. >> e.j., we've seen a lot of colorful characters in the world of political consulting over the years. none more colorful than roger stone and that's the nicest adjective you can apply to the single weirdest man in the history of political consulting and there are so many facts we could lay in to confirm that. we'll lay that aside. that's what google's for. we have a report saying that roger stone, who was donald trump's former campaign adviser
10:20 pm
engaged privately last year with a person involved in hacking the democratic national committee. he told "the washington times" friday but insisted the conversations were completely innocuous, it was so perfunctory, brief and bennal that he forgot it. i have heard it so much that roger stone has been bragging about being the broker of this stolen material and having a really effective hand during the transfer of all this wikileaks material. >> if i could say the notion about all of people in the cabinet who had ethical problems, those are the people toward whom trump should have directed extreme vetting and they didn't. but on the roger stone story, he came out and essentially predicted the wikileaks treasure
10:21 pm
trove before it happened. so it's pretty clear roger stone knew a lot of stuff. we don't know yet why he knew this stuff or how he knew this stuff but it was out there. and i suspect that as this story unfolds, we're going to learn he is one of the people who is going to have to answer an awful lot of questions about this russian connection. >> and one of the people who knows just how crazy roger stone is is donald trump. and to be living in the white house knowing this guy has was in that could hurt you must be scary for a president. >> and they parted ways early in the campaign. stone was friends with paul manafort. we know about manafort's connections with the russian stooges in ukraine. stone is also a former nixon
10:22 pm
aide and a big, big believe to nixon in this day. >> and as his history goes, the nixon era was his most honorable as a political operative. >> the offenses of the '72 campaign didn't come out until '73 and '74 and the offenses of the 2016 campaign will unfold over the next couple of years. >> coming up, a bipartisan group of lawmakers wants to take back war powers from the president. one of those members of congress will join us. he's also on the committee that jim comey will be testifying to. and donald trump says the health care bill will be passed, in his words, very shortly. that's donald trump talking so if you want to bet on "very shortly", that's a pretty big risk.
10:23 pm
at angie's list, we believe there are certain things you can count on, like a tired dog is a good dog. [ dog barking, crashing ] so when you need a dog walker or a handyman, we can help you find the right person for the job. discover all the ways we can help at angie's list.
10:24 pm
10:25 pm
theoretically do i think that a director of the fbi who knows for a fact that something is mythology but misleading to the american people and he should set the record straight, yes, i do think he should say that publicly. the classes, the friends, the independence. and since we planned for it, that student debt is the one experience, i'm glad she'll miss when you have the right financial advisor, life can be brilliant. ameriprise various: (shouting) heigh! ho! ( ♪ ) it's off to work we go!
10:26 pm
woman: on the gulf coast, new exxonmobil projects are expected to create over 45,000 jobs. and each job created by the energy industry supports two others in the community. altogether, the industry supports over 9 million jobs nationwide. these are jobs that natural gas is helping make happen, all while reducing america's emissions. energy lives here. we have breaking news tonight that fbi director james comey is expected to testify before the house intelligence committee during it's march hearing on russian interference in the u.s. elections. this will be the committee's first hearing in that investigation. representative jim hynes of connecticut is a member of the committee. congressman, thank you for joining us tonight. what are you hoping to explore with director comey in that hearg? unusually as you know, it's an
10:27 pm
open hearing. it's an opportunity to get some information and hopefully answers out in the public realm. obviously topic number one is what you've been talking about through the course of this evening, which is is there anything to this allegation to president trump so irresponsibly leveled that saturday morning. and this would obviously be a great forum for the director of the fbi to tell us what he knows about this. i think we also suspect when he does that, it will not look particularly good for this president. now, there's always a chance of course we have asked him this and many other questions in the past and he has, as adam schiff, the ranking member of the intelligence committee said, not at this point been comfortable being forthcoming. this is an opportunity and we hope he takes it. >> help us with that. there would certainly be legitimate situations in which an fbi director can say to the
10:28 pm
committee, especially the intelligence committee, i'd rather give you a private briefing on that or i'm not really allowed, in effect forbes -- for example, to say anything about that now. what would you accept as a reason why he can't tell you these answers? >> by his own standards and, as you know, we had this discussion when he chose twice to talk about an ongoing investigation, which is a very unusual thing as the director of the fbi and chose to do so against the department of justice, he did so because of his own argument because he felt he had a compelling national interest. now you have a situation where people have the president -- a
10:29 pm
wiretap is granted only if a federal judge sees probable cause. i can't tell director comey about what he knows but i can tell him how the american people are feeling and there is a huge amount of sort of chaotic wonder out there about what the heck is going on. so this is an opportunity for comey to use his own standard of compelling national interest to really get into the truth of this matter. >> congressman himes, i want to go to this very important bill that you've introduced basically to restrict the president's war powers-making ability. of course the constitution granted congress only the power to declare war. in the 1970s, that power, basically congress handed it to the president through the war powers act, which enables the president to go to war without even consulting congress.
10:30 pm
what is it that you want to restrict? what would you change? >> well, this is an initiative that is decades in the making. it probably goes back to, you know, the recall years of the vietnam war, which was an undeclared war in which 50,000 plus or minus americans lost their lives, and since then you've had this poisonous die -- dynamic, which gives the the power to enact war to the congress. the congress would rather not take the risk of putting its name on something that could go horribly wrong. so we are where we are today. by the way, it's a bipartisan issue. i woke up one weekend to discover the democratic president was bombing libya without congressional authority to do so. now this current president is essentially making war in the middle east and so it is time not just for constitutional grounds but because this signal
10:31 pm
that is sent abroad when american troops go into harm's way with the approval of the representatives of the people, that's a much stronger statement than when one guy sitting in the oval office says we're going to do this now. so this is -- i don't want anybody to believe this is a bill that is likely to get passed any time soon, but it is an important first step in a discussion that is made all the more pointed by where we sit today. a couple of weekends in a row, it might be an early morning tweet but the president has an awful lot of power. i'm not sure i trust him to use it as responsibly as we'd like. >> congressman jim himes, thank you for joining us. appreciate it. >> thank you, lawrence. >> coming up, donald trump trying to pass his first big piece of legislation. his only problem of course are members of his own party opposed to it.
10:32 pm
and coming up, a woman who has made history in her own right has a warning for us about what is at stake in some of the republican budget cuts. i thought i was managing my moderate to severe crohn's disease. i didn't think there was anything else to talk about. but then i realized there was. so, i finally broke the silence with my doctor about what i was experiencing. he said humira is for people like me who have tried other medications but still experience the symptoms of moderate to severe crohn's disease. in clinical studies, the majority of patients on humira saw significant symptom relief. and many achieved remission. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b,
10:33 pm
are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. if you're still just managing your symptoms, talk with your gastroenterologist about humira. with humira, remission is possible. let your reign begin. ♪ evony, the mobile game. download now. could save money on car insurance.nce you know, the kind of driver who always buckles up... comes to a complete stop... and looks both ways, no matter what. because esurance believes that's the kind of driver who deserves to save money on car insurance. in fact, safe drivers who switch from geico to esurance could save hundreds. so if you switch to esurance, saving is a pretty safe bet. auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance. an allstate company. click or call.
10:34 pm
10:35 pm
two house committees have voted on the republican bill to amend the affordable care act without having any idea how much it will cost and without having any idea how many people will lose health insurance coverage under their bill.
10:36 pm
the best estimates of how much it will cost and how many people will lose coverage will come from the cbo when they score the bill and that they have not done. in the meantime,he republicans are people telling people they know how much this will cost and attacking expectations that when the numbers come out, it will be very bad news. >> i've been telling everybody, you never going to know to win a coverage beauty contest when it's free market. when you replace that with we're going to have a free market and you buy what you want to buy, they're going to say not nearly as many people are going to do that. that's just going to happen.
10:37 pm
>> the many republican opponents are now predicting various ways in which they expect the bill will come up short. congressman meadows says he does not think the bill will lower insurance premium. he said that's why there's not enough votes because at this point, the number one priority, top priority, you can throw everything away is driving premiums down. if we don't do that, we will have failed but over a ten-year period i think premiums would go up just the way this is structured. >> msnbc's ali velshi grew up in canada, using his own mastery and when relevant revealing the truth of the canadian health system. we'll show you a clip and the man himself will join us.
10:38 pm
this is the silverado special edition. this is one gorgeous truck. oh, did i say there's only one special edition? because, actually there's five. ooohh!! aaaahh!! uh! hooooly mackerel. wow. nice. strength and style. it's truck month. get 0% financing for 60 months plus find your tag and get $5500 on select chevy silverado pick-ups when you finance with gm financial. find new roads at your local chevy dealer.
10:39 pm
in my johnsonville commercial we open up in the forest. hi. i'm jeff. i'm eating my breakfast and all of a sudden a raccoon come up and ask me, "what are you eating?" i told him "johnsonville breakfast sausage, fully cooked." porcupine comes in and he says, "does that come in patties?"
10:40 pm
i said "yup" wolf comes in and says, "how'd you learn to talk to animals?" and i said "books" and we had a good laugh about that. [laughter] that's a commercial made the johnsonville way. but i keep it growing by making every dollar count. that's why i have the spark cash card from capital one. with it, i earn unlimited 2% cash back on all of my purchasing. and that unlimited 2% cash back from spark means thousands of dollars each year going back into my business... which adds fuel to my bottom line. what's in your wallet?
10:41 pm
you know, sir, in all the countries that have single pair systems and universal health care, happiness about health care is better than it is in the united states -- >> they don't all come here. republicans say that all the time. they don't all come here. people in canada, people in norway, people in the united kingdom, people in sweden, in denmark, they don't all come to the united states for health care. why do you say that? i grew up in canada, i lived in canada, my entire family is in canada, nobody i know ever came to the u.s. for health care. i'm sure you have a handful of examples of that, it's not statistically true. >> there i was thursday morning minding my own business, i thought, and there i was watching msnbc.
10:42 pm
and i just immediately called in here and said can we get him to stay up late? >> always my pleasure, lawrence. >> a point you made having grown up in canada, knowing that system and looking at this from a global perspective was to the republicans has been simply show me one example somewhere in the world that is a free market health insurance/health care system. >> there is -- not on this planet, there is no actual free market health system. that's because no profit-making company would ever choose to willingly ensure a sick person or an old person. they just don't do it. the only way this works is as a risk pool. the only way to cover as many people as you can with a risk pool is to do what most modern countries have done and that is a single payor health care system or a fully mandated system, where it's not a penalty, everyone has to pay into it. it's the only way to get young, healthy people to pay into a system. eventually it evens out.
10:43 pm
there's nowhere else that the health care system costs twice as much as anywhere else in the world. i'm a business guy, a capitalist. if you can show me a system where this actually work where the market handles it all, i would embrace it. but this what we in business call a market failure. worldwide it has never actually work, le there is soone forcing everybody to get insurance, the private markets woul't do it. >> and free market economists have agreed that there are places where the market fails and in those places you need interventions. >> hospitals, prisons, et cetera. >> public education. in areas where we left it to the market, too many people would be left out of a necessary public good. this is one of those. and that line if the canadian system is so good why are they always coming here for treatment?
10:44 pm
to hear you be able to personally answer that is so powerful. >> and anecdotally i checked and said am i out of touch because i've been living in the united states for a while and everybody told me no. dotting the border in upper states, for mris, if you want to self-pay, you can do it. but the rest of it, no it not a broken system. i'm not arguing that single-payor health care systems solve all problems, they certainly don't. but in all of those countries that i named in that clip, outcomes are better, life expectancy is longer, preventive health care is a bigger deal but it doesn't work in our insurance model. we pay for services rendered. if you're going to denewed the system of services that need to
10:45 pm
be rendered, the system falls apart. >> ali, doing great work in this arena. please be willing to stay up late. >> always. >> coming up, the people whose job it is to make you laugh about the president of the united states. they are doing great job.
10:46 pm
now? excuse me.
10:47 pm
again? be right back. always running to the bathroom because your bladder is calling the shots? you may have oab. enough of this. we're going to the doctor. take charge and ask your doctor about myrbetriq. that's myr-be-triq, the first and only treatment in its class for oab symptoms of urgency fruency, and lkage. myrbetriq (mirabegron) may increase blood pressure. tell your doctor rht aif your bladder, or have a weak urine stream. myrbetriq may cause serious allergic reactions. if you experience swelling of the face, lips, throat or tongue or difficulty breathing, stop taking myrbetriq and tell your doctor right away. myrbetriq may affect or be affected by other medications. before taking myrbetriq tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney problems. common side effects include increased blood pressure common cold symptoms, urinary tractinfection, constipation, diarrhea, dizziness and headache. it's time for you to make the calls, so call your doctor to see if myrbetriq may be right for you. visit myrbetriq.com to learn more.
10:48 pm
and now for this week's look at the people whose duty it is to laugh about the madness of donald trump. >> donald trump says he wants to speed up the fda's drug approval process. wants to speed it up. yeah! trump said with what i've got planned, america's going to need all the drug it is can get. that's a quote. >> actually, sir, barack obama got 365 electoral votes in 2008.
10:49 pm
you only got -- you only got 306. wait a second, wait, do you think 306 is larger than 365? wow. betsy devos works quick. that cled thdevos efct. you got devosified. that's the devosification of donald trump. >> in the wake of the flynn resignation democrats are asking what president trump knew. what did he know? it's the historic, it's the first time anyone's ever accused donald trump of knowing too much. that's never happened before. >> it was revealed that donald trump jr. was paid $50,000 to speak at an event hosted by russian allies. when asked who the russian allies were he said, "my dad and jeff sessions." >> on tuesday trump again repeated the claim he does not have a relationship with
10:50 pm
vladimir putin, "i don't know putin, i don't know russians, the haters are going crazy." >> terrible, just found out obama had my wires tapped in trump tower just before victory. nothing found. this is mccarthyism. and just like that, the white house had to reset their sign back to zero. >> coming up, a lot of people are worried about how much damage donald trump can do to our future. an american historian who actually has an important place in history herself is worried about what he can do to our history. he will get tonight's last word.
10:51 pm
get to nissan now. and save on a lineup featuring altima. with available intelligent safety shield technologies... that could sense vehicles in your blind spot. take on the unexpected, with six 2017 iihs top safety picks. it's clear why we're america's fastest-growing auto brand. get to nissan now for 0% financing on 11 models & no payments for 90 days. ♪...nausea, heartburn,♪ indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!♪ nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!♪ here's pepto bismol! ah. ♪nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!♪
10:52 pm
10:53 pm
standing rock changed everything. >> we stand with standing rock! >> we stand with standing rock! >> we stand with standing rock! >> we stand with standing rock! >> water is life! >> water is life! >> what is life, that's what the protesters kept repeating outside donald trump's hotel today in washington d.c. when they brought the standing rock protest to the nation's capital. thousands gathered in washington, d.c. for the native's nation rise march today where demonstrator put up a teepee in front that trump hotel and held a rally in front of the white house. today's march was the end of a
10:54 pm
week-long protest in washington, which has been fighting of the construction of the pipeline. in january donald trump signed an executive order to begin that pipeline. a ruling is expected next month. jack knocked over a candlestick, onto the shag carpeting... ...and his pants ignited into flames,
10:55 pm
causing him to stop, drop and roll. luckily jack recently had geico help him with renters insurance. because all his belongings went up in flames. jack got full replacement and now has new pants he ordered from banana republic. visit geico.com and see how affordable renters insurance can be. dtry align junior probiotic.th digestive balance? so she can have a fraction dominating... status updating... hello-yellow-belt kind of day. get 24/7 digestive support with align junior. the #1 doctor recommended probiotic brand, now for kids. whether it's connecting one of or bringing wifi to 65,000 fans. campuses. businesses count on communication, and communication counts on centurylink. time for tonight's last word. no matter how bad it gets, no matter how dispiriting it is to
10:56 pm
have a president who is an inveterate violator of the oath to faifullecute the office of the united states. one of those days was the bloodiest battle day in american history, 3600 civil war soldiers killed in maryland, more than any other day before or since. we all first learned about the civil war in elementary school and pick up more detail in high school. that's why we know this country has seen worse days because we know our history. but history isn't free. history books cost money, teachers must be paid. whether you reached into your pocket to pay directly for your education or not, what you've learned is not free. you're tapping into a flow of information that costs real money, documentary films cost real money.
10:57 pm
but relatively few of us have ever actually paid to see one. pbs delivers some of the finest documentary films into our homes at no charge. ken burns' riveting 11 1/2 hour documentary on the civil war held this country's attention in its grip night after night as most of us examined in greater detail than ever before the horrors and heroism of the civil war. ken burns' brother, rick burns, produced another documentary in 2012 based on a book titled "this republic of suffering, death and the american civil war." that documentary was also made possible by the national endowment for the humanities. drew faust is an historian who has herself made history. harvard university's 153 years
10:58 pm
older than the united states of america, but in that time, there have been fewer presidents of harvard university than of the united states. only 28 harvard presidents in 381 years. drew gilpin faust is the first woman in that small club of university presidents. university presidents are obliged to spend significant time and attention on fund-raising for their opportunity. but president faust took her time to talk about concerns and the budget for national humanity. republicans have long had their eye on the national endowment for the humanities and will surely impose drastic cuts to the endowment and possibly the complete elimination of the national endowment for the humanities.
10:59 pm
in the "times" under the headline "don't defund american history," drew faust described how the national endowment for the humanities brings performances, workshops, lectures for different people in different places. she closed her piece with this -- "the endowment helps americans explore and better understand how we came to be the nation, people and world we are. it challenges us to reflect on our identity as citizens and human beings to ask profound questions about origins, legacies and meaning and to contemplate where we are going as individual as as a country. it links the past to the future and it connects all of us. the historian gets the last
11:00 pm
word. trumped up. let's play "hardball." good evening. i'm chris matthews in washington. for six days president trump let charge hang out there that president obama wiretapped him. that includes any evidence from the fbi. afr ing up to capitol hill, the director has no evidence that what trump said is true. today the president refused to answer questions about that charge. >> mr. president --

51 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on