Skip to main content

tv   All In With Chris Hayes  MSNBC  November 29, 2017 12:00am-1:00am PST

12:00 am
said, steven combs, quote, flew the hell out of that plane. well, indeed. there are eight sailors alive today who are living proof of that. and that is our broadcast on a tuesday night. tonight on "all in." >> nobody knows the system better than me. which is why i alone can fix it. >> i'm not really that surprised. >> tonight why democrats pulled out of a white house meeting after a trump tweet. as a government completely controlled by republicans is now on the brink of a shutdown. >> let that happen, i will absolutely blame the democrats. the growing case for collusion. >> everybody said there's no collusion. >> new reporting on the secret trump world outreach to russia after the election. plus congressman luis gutierrez on his surprise
12:01 am
retirement. and fallout from the conservative sting on "the washington post." and the creation of an alternate reality in alabama. >> we've seen malicious, false attacks which reflect the immorality of our time. >> when "all in" starts right now. good evening from new york. i'm chris hayes. the first calendar year of the trump presidency is almost over and republicans cannot point to a single major legislative accomplishment. despite total control of the federal government. which is why the gop is now in an absolutely desperate sprint to pass a tax bill and to avert a possible government shutdown set to take place just ten days from now. one that could turn what has already been a terrible year for the gop into an utter and complete debacle. we begin with the looming shutdown. today the top leaders in congress -- mitch mcconnell, chuck schumer, paul ryan, nancy pelosi -- were supposed to meet
12:02 am
with president trump at the white house to hammer out a bill to keep the lights on this. before the meeting the president undermined the negotiations tweeting, meeting with chuck and nancy today about keeping government open and working. okay, fine. problem is they want illegal immigrants flooding into our capital country unchecked, weak on crime, i don't see a deal. chuck and nancy as the president likes to call the two most democrats in the country pulled out of the white house meeting in response to that manifestly hostile tweet. >> with his tweet this morning, president trump made sure that today's meeting is nothing but a photo op. these issues are far too serious for these kinds of games. mr. president, it's time to stop tweeting and start leading. >> schumer and pelosi offered to meet with mcconnell and ryan to negotiate directly but they were rebuffed, instead the republican
12:03 am
leaders went to the white house to sit around a really big table with the president and have empty chairs with placards and pretend this was all chuck and nancy's fault. >> so they decided not to show up. they've been all talk and they've been no action. and now it's even worse. now it's not even talk. >> and i just think it's very regrettable our democratic colleagues in leadership chose to not participate because we have to negotiate these bills to get this worked on. >> i've been in this position under a couple of previous presidents. i can't recall ever turning down an opportunity to go down to the white house. >> they should be calling immediately and saying, we want to see you. probably they won't because nothing to them is important other than raising taxes. >> we'll be fact checking that claim by mcconnell, that he never did this to president obama. first to the drama over the tax bill. that's the other item moving through congress today. any mad rush towards the end of the year.
12:04 am
today the senate budget committee voted along stark party lines to send that bill to the senate floor as protesters urged them to kill a bill that gives to the rich and takes from the poor. >> report the vote. >> kill the bill, kill the bill! kill the bill, kill the bill! >> the ayes are 12, the nays are 11. >> kill the bill, kill the bill! >> the bill is reported out. >> capitol police arrested 36 protesters who attended the hearing to oppose a bill the cbo says would hugely benefit corporations and the very wealthy, particularly wealthy heirs, while undermining obamacare and leaving most people who earn less than $75,000 a year worse off. republicans in their desperation to deliver legislative win are tweaking the bill to try to get enough votes to pass by friday. two gop senators who expressed reservations -- ron johnson and bob corker -- voted aye, yes, out of the budget committee today anyway, amid pressure from fellow republicans to get on board.
12:05 am
>> if the republicans can't pass this tax bill, then we'll pay dearly for this. we have the presidency, the house, the senate. and i think high time we got together. >> president trump today went to capitol hill to meet with republican senators later expressing optimism the votes will be there to pass the bill. >> we had a good day today. we had a phenomenal meeting with the republican senators. we had -- it was very special, that meeting. in many respects i wish you could have been inside that room. it was very, very special. the camaraderie. somewhat of a lovefest. they want to see it happen. they want to see it happen, not only for the republican party, i think much more importantly, they want to see it happen for the country. >> i'm joined by barbara boxer, former senator from california, and jim manly, long-time spokesperson for senator harry reid. mcconnell says he can't recall a time he was invited to the white house and didn't do it, although
12:06 am
in 2010 he skipped an obama din tore eat with the federalist sew sight. mcconnell would pretend to be busy to prevent a meeting being scheduled because he didn't want his base to see him with obama. what do you think of mcconnell's claim he would never stoop to such a level? ha ha ha! that laughter is on the record. what he said is factually inaccurate as has been widely reported this afternoon. he in fact skipped a meeting with the president to go speak before the federalist society. and i think there was at least one other time in the past when republican leadership refused to go down to the white house as well to negotiate with then-president obama. i mean, it's just not true. >> we're also, it strikes me, barbara, sitting in -- we're in the world that mitch mcconnell created. he sort of pioneered a kind of strategy for dealing with an opposition party president. and do you think the strategy
12:07 am
today from chuck schumer and nancy pelosi of not going in response to that tweet was the right one? >> oh, absolutely. and i don't think it was a strategy. it was just the right thing to do. >> you think it was an organic response to what the president said? >> i really do. look, if i invited you over for dinner and just before you came i tweeted out and said, chris hayes is coming over for dinner, think he's a serial killer. you might decide -- >> that would be mean. and unfounded i should say on the record. >> it's a joke. the point i'm making is the things that they say -- why don't you read what they said? they want open borders, they're soft on crime, they want to raise taxes, then he says come in? the whole thing is absurd. here's the problem. and jim knows this so well. in the united states senate, you have to work together. mitch mcconnell won't even allow a conversation to take place
12:08 am
with chuck schumer to negotiate a bill. and then they are called up to the white house to say, let's avert a shutdown. on what basis is that invitation delivered? after you have basically said that these two people are horrible people? it's just ridiculous. and all i could say is they wanted to distraction with this, they're in control of everything, jim and i know what happens when there's a shutdown looming. if everyone doesn't sit down and try to avert it, that shutdown will happen. >> well, jim, it cracked me up to watch paul ryan. i thought it was amusing to watch paul ryan express concern his democratic colleagues weren't there. paul ryan, speaker of the house, he's got a 30-vote majority, he can pass what he needs out of the house. what he knows and what everybody knows is he can't. nancy pelosi has all the leverage in this situation to avoid a shutdown, am i right? >> you're absolutely correct.
12:09 am
we've talked about this before. and just reinforces -- that reinforces the notion that this president simply doesn't know the legislative process. again, to reiterate for your voters, the only way they're going to pass something is with democratic voters. >> why is that? >> because house republicans are going to balk at any deal no matter what. no matter what the dollar is, no matter the details. there's a whole bunch are going to vote no. >> because they don't believe in government, and they don't care if it shuts down. believe me when i say that, they don't care. >> there's the house freedom caucus, a must-pass vote to keep the government open, you lose 20 to 30 votes depending on what he is herb nose that, which is why he's got to come to the democrats to cut some deal for the government to stay open. i want to get your thoughts on the fact that no democrat has supported this tax bill, even in states trump won by 10 points. you can imagine a version of a
12:10 am
tax bill they would feel hard-pressed to support, why not this one? >> they can't support this bill because it hurts all their people. the states they're there are not very wealthy states. the people are middle class and working poor, for the most part. and this bill is robin hood in reverse. we've seen it before. i've been there before. i've seen this trickle-down garbage. the only thing that trickles down is misery. the deficits go way up. we've seen it so many times. and my colleagues, be they moderate or liberal or conservative democrats, they get it. you know, you can't -- you have to learn from history. and we know what will happen. this is a horrible bill that helps the people at the top who don't really need help. and hurts the people in the middle who are desperate for help. and the working poor, who are also desperate for help.
12:11 am
>> jim, there's this very funny thing happening now where the idea is that it's going to blow up the deficit but it will pay for itself with added growth and then some rps saying, what if it doesn't? what if our projections are wrong? put a trigger in the bill to automatically shrink the deficit, calling the bluff a bit. the other republicans assess, god no, we can't did that. how significant do you think that is? >> i have no idea because i like you and everyone else has no idea how this trigger's going to work. so until we see the details it's difficult to war game it out. again, yes, the irony, your bottom-line point is correct. the irony of that argument is just, it highlights how devoid of facts are going on with the republican party. they do not care about details. they just want to get anything done. >> all right, senator barbara boxer and jim manly, thank you both. history suggests it would be exceedingly difficult for the party in power in this case the
12:12 am
republicans, to place blame for a shutdown on the irnt party even though that's exactly what the president is trying to pull off. >> if that happens i would absolutely blame the democrats. fit happens it's going to be over illegals pouring into the country, crime pouring into the country, no border wall, which everybody wants. i got elected partially because of a border wall. >> joining me, democratic senator tim kaine of virginia, member of the budget committee that voted to move forward with that republican tax bill. let's start with the possibility of a shutdown that looms december 8th. how likely is that? what leverage do democrats have? >> well, chris, look. we're in the minority party, as far as i'm concerned we're not shutting government down, we are going to insist upon key priorities. it's only republicans who pitched the shutdown. when there have been shutdowns in the past it's been because of
12:13 am
republicans. and if there's a shutdown later this month, it's going to be on the republicans that have the white house and both houses. we're going to insist on priorities that are good for the country and they can decide whether they want to shut the government down or not. i don't think the government of the greatest nation in the world should be shut down for five seconds. >> what are those priorities? >> look, the priorities that we have are getting a good budget deal that has some parity between defense and nondefense investments. trying to fix daca, which the president has encouraged us to do. some of the supplemental relief to continue to deal with the aftermath of the hurricanes this fall. those are some of the big priorities. and these are the priorities not just of democrats but i think they're american public priorities too. >> you've got millions of kids across this country on c.h.i.p., a program that's funded -- the house passed it. it's sitting in the senate. you've got letters going out in states to kids in the middle of
12:14 am
cancer treatment -- >> including virginia, right. >> about uncertainty. what is going on? why can that not be passed in the senate? >> there's no reason it can't be because it's got bipartisan support. i took to the floor about a month ago and said, don't hold c.h.i.p. hostage till the end of the year when it has strong bipartisan support, ron wyden, orrin hatch have a bipartisan deal in the senate. this is a program that democrat and republican governors want us to fix and we have a deal. the republican leadership has decided that they want to not do it so they can make it part of these year-end negotiations. chris, in virginia, for example, next week, in december, letters start to go out telling people in 60 days you could lose health insurance. families getting these letters right before christmas about their kids losing health insurance. what a horrible thing. i am confident we're going to fix c.h.i.p. but do it before we send out these letters to rattle everybody's cages and scare them before christmas. the republicans are holding it
12:15 am
hostage to get something they want. we're not walking away unless there's a deal that keeps c.h.i.p. going. >> c.h.i.p. is basically done, it could be brought up for a vote, it's being held and slow walked. >> right. >> the tax bill is being rushed headlong. why are they rushing so fast on the tax bill? >> chris, they are treating this tax bill -- i was the mayor of richmond. if the city council in richmond wanted to amend the leash law in our city, there would be a more transparent, open public process than what they have right now on a tax bill that's a once in 30-year effort to essentially change the rules about the american economy. not one hearing in finance, not one hearing in budget, a deal sprung at the last minute. the cbo has done enough work to say it punishes the poor and middle class, it increases the deficit, they haven't been able yet to complete the work to determine whether it's going to grow or shrink the economy. the republicans are rushing it for two reasons.
12:16 am
one, it looks worse the more you look at it so we want to rush it. two, they're worried about the outcome of the alabama senate race. i reminded them today, when president reagan did this in 1986, he got 97 votes in the senate. because they took 10 months to make sure that both parties would sign up for something that would be good for the economy. there's no reason to rush this, and in fact we'll make a mistake if we do rush it. >> chuck schumer and nancy pelosi did thought go to that meeting at the white house today after the president's tweet. they were criticized by the president, criticized by mitch mcconnell and paul ryan. why not show up? why not negotiate? why not try to make a deal? >> because the president lied about them. when he sent out the tweet, before the meeting, saying democrats just want to overflood the streets with illegal immigrants, it was a complete lie. we have a comprehensive immigration reform bill that we've had since 2013 to fix the immigration system that we had with a number of republican votes. that's what we have on the table. that's what we want.
12:17 am
so if the president will tweet out a lie about you, that you want to flood the street with illegal immigrants, if he'll lie about you right before the meeting, he'll lie to your face in the middle of the meeting, they shouldn't have shown up. >> he sort of does that to everyone. aren't you confident chuck schumer and nancy pelosi can roll donald trump if they get in a room with him? >> here's what they really concluded. they don't need donald trump. donald trump is going to sit at the end of pennsylvania avenue and tweet. while we're going to find a deal. then we're going to send a deal to him and he's going to sign it. >> you're saying he's not the one to negotiate with anyway, the deal's going to be with -- >> no. >> that's an interesting thing to say. >> congress is going to do the deal, we're going to send it to him, he's going to sign it regardless of what's in it. >> senator tim kaine, thank you. >> absolutely. still to come, a key development in the growing web of connections between trump world and russia. next, a surprising announcement from a prominent progressive member of congress. representative luis gutierrez joins me exclusively to explain
12:18 am
why he's not seeking another term.
12:19 am
12:20 am
today i'm announcing that i will not be seeking re-election. i am going to leave congress at the end of my term in 2019. but i'm not retiring. >> congressman luis gutierrez stunned capitol hill when word leaked out he would not seek re-election next year. a decision he confirmed today. he'll require in 2019 from congress after 13 terms there. did not rule out running for office in the future. he's been one of the strongest advocates in congress for immigration reform, also emerged as a vocal critic of donald trump fighting the president's call for a wall on the mexican border and his decision to end daca protection for d.r.e.a.m.ers. since hurricane maria devastated puerto rico, gutierrez has been a leading voice demanding more support for the island, where over two months after the storm made landfall more than 40% of 3
12:21 am
million americans remain, to this day, without power. >> i love puerto rico. and she's in a lot of pain. and there's a lot of people that have turned their backs on her. and she needs to be rebuilt. and i cannot be here in the fourth congressional district and rebuilding the home of my mom and my dad, where my wife was born, a place that i love so much. >> congressman luis gutierrez joins me now. thank you for coming on, congressman. i have to say i was among the people who were surprised yesterday. i want to start with this. in the environment in which we are in, the context which we are in, when this ripple went out yesterday, gutierrez retiring, oh my, is there some shoe that's going to drop, some story we don't know about, some scandal that's about to break? is there? are you retiring for the reasons you say you are?
12:22 am
>> yes. thank you for having me on again, chris. thank you for correcting -- it is my 13th term. everybody keeps saying it's my 12th. it's been 25 years, chris. during those 25 years i've spent 4,000 nights away from my home. right? where my wife lives, where my daughters and my grandson. i want to be closer to them. but also, chris, think about it a moment. i love that island so much. it's my ancestral home. she's battered and bruised. and we've got to rebuild her. and it's not fair to the people of the fourth congressional district. my heart's just torn. >> right. >> i want to be here and i want to be there. and i want to do more for her. the people of the fourth congressional district need someone that's focused on the fourth. it's only right. and secondly, chris, i'm not retiring. i intend to go out there and build the kind of organizational apparatus in the immigrant
12:23 am
community that we haven't seen yet. that's my goal. i want to go to alabama and i want to go to mississippi and georgia and california. you know where i'm going to start going? north and south carolina. we're going to atlanta, georgia. we're going to go to michigan and wisconsin. we're going to go to pennsylvania and ohio. and let's create that kind of movement so we don't have another sad night in 2020. >> let me ask you this. the president today -- there's the subtext of today a lot of it seemed to be about daca. you were critical of the deal that was struck earlier in the fall because it did not provide protection for daca recipients. the president appeared to be sort of caricaturing the democrats' views on daca when he said this. i want you to respond to it, take a listen. >> sure. >> when that happens, i would absolutely blame the democrats. if it happens it's going to be over illegals pouring into the country, crime pouring into the country, no border wall, which everybody wants. i got leaked partially buff because of a border wall.
12:24 am
>> he seems to be drawing a line on daca, is that how you took it? >> yeah, and it's kind of my -- i'm happy you have me back on, you give me i told you so moment. it was on your program before i said, it's a terrible way to negotiate, we need to stand up for our immigrant community, not throw the d.r.e.a.m.ers under the bus. that's what democrats are doing, returning to their roots, right? returning to their principles and standing up for immigrants and saying no to donald trump. >> let me stop you right there, i want to make sure i understand. what i hear is you saying you are confident now that that will be a price of entry for any democratic votes to keep the government open, some kind of protection for d.r.e.a.m.ers? that's your understanding now? >> it is a growing will of the democratic caucus in the house of representatives. i know it. i talked to my colleagues all the time. if one thing i'm connected to them with is around the issues of immigrant and immigrant rights in the caucus. the democratic party isn't the democratic party it was 10, 15
12:25 am
years ago. it's the democratic party that's going to stand up for immigrants. so listen, 90 of them left. the week after labor day. we did this 90-day extension. 90 of them left. they do not constitute a majority when it comes to passing a budget. they need us. let's just wait for them to come. let's wait for the reasonable, sensible -- that's probably an exaggeration but in the context of the lunacy that is the republican party today, let's wait for them to come and sit down and say, we want to have a budget, we want to keep the government open, and we need your help. all i'm saying, chris, if you want the vote of a democrat, right, what i vote on, the platform that i represented to the people of the fourth congressional district, you want me to vote for a budget that doesn't represent those ideals and those interests? >> right. >> then you've got to change it or i'm not going to vote for it. i'm being -- i'm being consistent. that's why -- here's another thing. i'm so happy because it proves
12:26 am
my point, that you can move on. that you can make an impression on a party, on a political establishment, and you can move on. and look, today bernie sanders, he did something to me magical and to me great. he introduced a bill that said $100 billion, and we're going to rebuild puerto rico. i'm excited about that. >> and that's one of the fights that's going to be happening as well as daca. i want to have you come back in the weeks to come to talk about that, because that is obviously going to be front of mind. >> chewy garcia is the leader of bernie sanders' revolution in chicago and he's going to be the next congressman. so the progressive movement is going to have a great congressman. >> there's the endorsement, we'll see what the people of the fourth district have to say about it. congressman luis gutierrez, thank you for your time. another reporting on an attempted back channel, another one, between trump world and russia after the election.
12:27 am
12:28 am
the theory of the case for collusion, which in the trump campaign and the race government, is that it boiled down to essentially quid pro quo. russia helps donald trump get elected, he in return that is alleged in the steele dossier and it remains a theory. we still can't say if there was an arrangement between trump world and the kremlin, if they actually talked to each other directly in any sustained way. but we can play out what it might have looked like. according to u.s. intelligence officials the russian interference operation didn't start out as an effort to get donald trump elected. russia was content initially to damage hillary clinton,
12:29 am
undermine americans' faith in the democratic process. at some point according to u.s. officials russia decided it was actively rooting for donald trump and after its sabotage campaign succeeded to almost everyone's surprise at helping trump win, suddenly the new president-elect would have found himself in a position to return the favor. but it would still be a few months till inauguration when trump would take over the federal government. so if you wanted to start communicating with russian officials about delivering on their policy goals, you would have to do it through unofficial channels. and you probably wouldn't want anyone else to know about it. over the past year we've learned about a series of previously undisclosed contacts between trump associates and russian nationals taking place in that key period between the election and inauguration. those contacts included efforts by jared kushner to set up a secret back channel to talk to russia. he was not the only one pursuing a covert back channel. today we finally learn the identity of the man who met on a remote island in the indian ocean, i am not making this up,
12:30 am
days before the inauguration, with eric prince, the founder of military contractor blackwater, whose sister is education secretary betsy devos, and served as unofficial individual tore the trump administration. who eric prince met with right after this.
12:31 am
12:32 am
12:33 am
why did you take credit card debt on? second kid. private school. medical bills. moving costs. solid ground. a personal loan from sofi is a smart way to consolidate credit card debt. certain borrowers cut their credit card interest rates 42% and increased credit scores 17 points on average. borrow up to $100,000 with low rates and no hidden fees. find your rate in just two minutes, and take on your debt at sofi.com. finally we know the identity of the russian national who met last year with blackwater founder eric prince. informal adviser to the trump transition, who's the brother of current education secretary betsy devos. prince attended a meeting during
12:34 am
the transition on the say she wills islands, halfway around the world in the indian ocean. according to "the intercept" which broke the news it was a man named kyril dmitriev, ceo of a fund called the russian direct investment fund, who chartered a plane to the seychelles at the same time the meeting took place. the meeting was reported by "the washington post." prince down played the encounter claiming not to know who he met with. >> happened to be there. i met a russian. >> who did you meet? >> pretty thin. some fund manager. i can't remember his name. >> a fund manager? but you don't remember his name? >> i don't remember his name. we didn't exchange cards. >> how long was it? the meeting? do you remember? >> it probably lasted about as long as one beer. >> you know, just one of those meetings you have with the russians at the say she will islands, you don't remember the name, you don't exchange cards. the new information adds to an extraordinary pattern.
12:35 am
the meeting on december 1st or 2nd between sergei kislyak, russian ambassador, and jared kushner and michael flynn. flynn and kislyak speak again at the end of the month after the obama administration imposed new sanctions punishing russia over russia's election interference, sometime in december at disny lack's request with the bank, the parent company of you guessed it the rdif. that's the fund led by eric prince's russian contact in the say she wills. one he barely remembers. also december 2016, a meeting in new york between kushner, flynn, and steve ban none and the crown prince of abu dhabi. that same guy, the crown prince, he's the one who set up the meeting in the seychelles between the prince and the russian fund manager around january 11th, days before donald trump's inauguration.
12:36 am
now talking about the crystallizing case before and after election day. julia ioffe, "the atlantic," it seems there were a lot of attempts at back channels to russia in the time between election day and the inauguration. >> absolutely. and that's not surprising, right? russia had a terrible -- the kremlin had a terrible relationship with the outgoing obama administration. relations were at rock bottom. you have a guy that was elected with your help that you totally did not expect to get elected. he's now elected. after talking about how he wants to respect russia, how he respects putin, that unlike obama he's a strong leader, and he wants to lift sanctions, and he doesn't want to supply the ukrainians with lethal arms. of course you're going to reach out to them. what's more surprising is that people around president donald trump, a, took these meetings without warning anybody in american law enforcement or intelligence. and b, that they're all suddenly
12:37 am
overcome with these clouds of amnesia. it's really remarkable. >> there's also the fact that we know that there was when in the very early days of the administration there's pretty quick movement on some real russian policy priorities. for instance, "the chest" reporting the white house was drafting an executive order to lift russia sanctions. that that had been imposed on russia in response to its war against ukraine. that was one of the key items that the russian government wanted out of a new administration. >> that's right. and the key proponent of that was michael flynn. the very short-serving national security adviser at the beginningful the trump administration. what's interesting about that though is i have sources who tell me that even the day after flynn was fired for lying to vice president pence, his kind of subordinates at the national security council were touring to lift russia sanctions, they just didn't know the rationale for theory when they're were saying,
12:38 am
why do you want to lift these sanctions? they're like, i don't know, this guy told us. but now he's not here. so it quickly fizzled after flynn left. clearly it seems like there was some kind of understanding that had been reached, either by talking or just independently. >> so i just want to make sure i understand. so what we know is that flynn was pushing this idea through national security council, it was getting moved around the state department, there was a lot of pushback from career folks. you're saying it had been pushed so hard his subordinates continued to try to sell this idea even after he was fired? >> that's right. they just didn't know how to push it. they didn't know the rationale. their boss was trying to get it done, but now when the effort had been decapitated, the body kept moving a little bit but didn't know why. and soon died. >> let me ask you this. in all these cases, kislyak obviously reports to vladimir putin in some sense, a member of the government. in other plates where you have the veb bank, you have the fund meeting on the seychelles
12:39 am
island, is it plausible that information about that does not make its way back to the kremlin? >> i don't think that sergei kislyak was reporting to putin, i think he was reporting to people in the foreign ministry. >> right. >> the russians are very rigidly bureaucratic and hierarchal. they love this stuff. when you have somebody like -- somebody who is in charge of veb, or this sovereign wealth fund, when you have huge amounts of money flowing around, there's no way that the kremlin doesn't have a hand in it. because it's being used for very sensitive infrastructure projects that are kind of vanity projects for the kremlin. so those are very, very sensitive. >> all right, julia ioffe, thanks as always. trump's obsession with family heritage in "thing 1, thing 2." and the latest in alabama where the republican senate nominee accused of molesting a child is preaching about morality. "the washington post" is turning the tables on pro-war activists.
12:40 am
>> are you working with roy moore? >> okay sornlgs -- >> are you working with steve bannon? are you working with the republican party? are you working with the republican party of alabama? attention: are you eligible for medicare?
12:41 am
the medicare enrollment deadline is just a few days away. changes to medicare plans could impact your healthcare costs. are you getting all the benefits available to you? new plans are now available that could increase your benefits and lower how much you pay out of pocket. to update your coverage- or enroll for the first time -- call healthmarkets. we'll help you make sure you have the right medicare plan. hi, i'm doctor martin gizzi. it's a new medicare year. that means more changes... and more confusion. here's what i tell my patients... start by asking ...what kind of care is best for your current situation? have there been changes in your health or medications? the key question is: what can you do now, to ensure you get the care you need in the coming year? to find the coverage you need,
12:42 am
call healthmarkets today. new medicare plans in your area may offer better coverage and lower costs. healthmarkets has access to thousands of medicare options from leading insurance companies nationwide. plans that may... cost less... cover more ... with more choices... like dental and vision care. and the freedom to choose your own doctors. all at a price you can afford. we help find the right plan for you. and we do it at no cost. there were so many benefits i wasn't taking advantage of. healthmarkets can find me the right plan. and their service doesn't cost a cent. when i try shopping on my own, i get nowhere fast. healthmarkets takes away the confusion. too often i see my patients paying more than they need to because they don't know what they're entitled to. make sure you have what you need to get the care that's right for you. you have only a few days left. if you miss the deadline, you may have to wait another year before enrolling. call a licensed healthmarkets' agent now. call this number by the deadline...
12:43 am
and let healthmarkets find the right medicare plan for you - without cost or obligation. call now. "thing 1," the president's obsession with calling senator lrks warn pocahontas, even at a ceremony honoring navajo world war ii heroes. >> i want to thank you because you're very, very special people. you were here long before any of us were here. although we have a representative in congress who they say was here a long time ago. they call her pocahontas. but you know what? i like you. because you are special. >> the president's use of pocahontas is a racist epithet for warren stemming over the
12:44 am
flap over her ancestry, warren challenged for claiming she had native american ancestry and she couldn't come up with definitive proof. as warren said, she learned about her family's heritage from her parents and always accepted it. >> as a kid, i never asked my mom for documentation when she talked about our native american heritage. what kid would? let me be clear. i never asked for, never got any benefit because of my heritage. >> many of us, particularly before the age of ancestry.com, learned about our family heritage from our immediate family. like, for instance, donald trump. who has touted his own proud family history. but was it a big fat lie? that's "thing 2" in 60 seconds. 's critical, but i really need... ...a sick day. dads don't take sick days... dads take dayquil severe. the non-drowsy, coughing, aching, fever, sore throat... ...stuffy head, no sick days medicine.
12:45 am
senator warren was very offensive when she lied about something specifically to advance her career. i don't understand why no one's asking about that question and why that isn't constantly covered. >> the white house continues to
12:46 am
incorrectly, repeatedly accuse senator elizabeth warren of lying, of using her claimed native american heritage for gain, which there is not evidence of. you know who did lie about theired a sister tree to advance their career in the trump tap faly. in "the art of the deal" donald trump wrote, fred trump was born in new jersey. his father who came from sweden as a child. but the truth is donald trump's grandfather came from germany. as the "boston globe" pointed out the family hid its german heritage in large part because fred trump was trying to sell apartments, often to jewish tenants nshlgts the aftermath of world war ii. and then donald trump perpetuated that lie in his own book. last summer when the globe asked trump why his father claimed he was swedish, which wasn't true, trump said, "well, he spent some time in sweden. our country was at war with germany so being from germany didn't necessarily play so well for a period of time."
12:47 am
12:48 am
12:49 am
new polls show support for roy moore may be bouncing back among alabama voters. weeks after the first credible accusations of sexual misconduct and abuse of teenage girls. moore ahead by 6 points among likely voters. another poll up by 5 points. key to that, only 9% of trump voters believe the allegations against moore. moore has apparently tentatively succeeded in creating an alternate universe for his followers, aided and abetted by right wing media which declared war on the mainstream media, in some ways on the very notion of truth itself. if that truth threatens political victory. perhaps the starkest example is what appears to be the latest scam by james o'keefe who was convicted of a misdemeanor in 2010 for undercover scheme in a democratic senator's office, who often posts on breitbart, who has received funding from the trump foundation.
12:50 am
recall that on november 9th the original "washington post" story came out with 30 sources, a story that included the credible allegation that roy moore picked up a 14-year-old outside her mom's custody hearing for her and molested her several days later. one day sexual abuse accusers and "the washington post." post reporter saw that woman who claimed to be jamie phillips walk into james o'keefe's office yesterday. they believe o'keefe is behind the operation and asked him about it multiple times yesterday. >> does jamie phillips work for project -- >> i'm going to have a few things to say here. >> okay. second question -- >> yeah. >> are you working with roy moore? >> okay. >> are you working with roy moore.
12:51 am
are you with the republican party of alabama. >> here is what we'll talk about. >> your employee. if you're not going to answer that i'll assume it's your employee. >> the sustained attacks on truth by the american right to protect an alleged child molester. that's next.
12:52 am
12:53 am
12:54 am
they are confused about the constitution, why it's there, what it's there for and they certainly don't know how to talk about morality. we have to talk about something politicians don't talk about,
12:55 am
that's morality. the definition of right and wrong. there is only one source in this country and that's god. >> senate candidate roy moore last night speaking to his supporters about mortality. a senior contributing editor and columnist of the "new york times." ben, i'm amazed to watch the sort of bubble work here on folks in alabama that this sort of moral crusader who i think is credibly accused of doing really horrible things that they can be convinced it's all made up. >> they spent along time, many, many years constructing a narrative. i've been part of that in someways. i've been victim of it in someways. i think that they've, they've created this world for themselves where, of course, "the washington post" will go after roy moore because he's this great crusader and "the
12:56 am
washington post" is evil and it's fake news. anything -- i had many people say to me the minute it comes out of the washington post they know it's fake. so it just fits their template and they will do any rationalization they need to to keep the world looking the way they think it looks. >> it's so effective, this idea ben talks about as soon as it comes out of the washington post it's fake. this is a project buildup for awhile and why james o'keefe is doing this, just almost unspeakably foul thing, which is attempting to sort of apparently pay someone to lie about being the victim of sexual assault to discredit people. >> right. wait, to discredit not just "the washington post" but to discredit sexual assault victims. >> right. >> at large. >> but it's effective. i mean, if you can say to people "the washington post" is is all lies and "the new york times" is all lies, that's a lot of stuff
12:57 am
we know about the world comes from those sources. >> this is a multi decade project. i wrote a book about it ten years ago and a lot of republicans with this alleged and helped create this universe and source of authority this sort of bonkers right-wing post modernize and sense of authority and i keep wondering, ben, i remember watching the ""access hollywood" thing play out. people get their heads around coming back into the fold. watching roy moore who is accused of molesting a 14-year-old from a custody hearing and hear a woman saying you sexual assaulted her when you're 16 usually an enter in sort of normal times and i keep
12:58 am
wondering, where is the bottom to this? >> well, unfortunately, it all fits too well for them is the biggest problem. so the bigger the noise that's being made about somebody like roy moore, the more sure people are supporting trump that can't be true. it's almost an unwinnable situation. i think he probably gained support from people specifically because he was attacked. if he loses, it's going to be remember the alamo, remember roy moore. he'll be a rallying cry. if he wins, you know, it will be hold the line or whatever but no matter what, they decided he's a moral champion. they don't put morality in god. they put morality, they put right and wrong, the partisan line and that is all that it comes down to for them. >> i actually think it flatters his supporters a little bit too much to say they don't believe these allegations because a lot are uncontested and supporters. >> we should be clear.
12:59 am
just be clear which ones are uncontested like him hanging around teenage girls and him dating teenage girls or attempting to date them. >> because of their quote unquote purity. >> right. >> so i think part of it is that they might be in denial and part of it is they are okay with this. >> yeah, and there -- that's a great point and someways i find the okay with it in someways is more forthright or honest, ben. that's our guy and whatever he did doesn't matter. >> well, it's a mental gymnastics game. most of the people that i'm talking about are not as involved in politics and hear about this and know "the washington post" is evil. when you talk about people supporting trump or roy moore through this, they are engaging in moral relative and trying to find ways, this isn't that big of a deal because this happened one time so what about that. >> that is the greatest irony. the incredible amounts of moral relativeness. being constructed on a guy
1:00 am
preaching about the absolute, absolute morality of the one truth through a god in his son jesus christ. thank you. >> thank you. >> that is "all in" for this evening. now. >> on a tuesday night, good evening once again from our nbc news headquarters here in new >> on a tuesday night, good evening once again from our nbc newseaua

29 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on