Skip to main content

tv   AM Joy  MSNBC  December 31, 2017 7:00am-9:00am PST

7:00 am
2017 is almost gone. and that will be welcomed news for many americans. this year has seen the beginning of donald trump's grip on the white house, an attack on obamacare, and an effort to re-write the entire tax code and resurgence of the ku klux klan, and natural disasters and international embarrassments. a. "am joy" has covered everything in the year, and we start with
7:01 am
the revolving door known as the trump administration. >> who will succeed, and who will fail, and who will be the apprentice. >> tonight it's time for the trump administration to be able to purge before it's too late. >> on saturday evening, donald trump fired the prominent u.s. attorney, preet ybarra. >> the attorney general or the deputy attorney general has an obligation to follow the law and the constitution and give their independent legal advice to the president. >> we had a monday night massacre, sally yates, a person of great integrity who follows the law was fired by the president. >> donald trump fired acting attorney general, sally yates.
7:02 am
>> mike pence went out and told a story that was not true. now the information is that flynn lied to him. if flynn didn't lie to him, that's even more serious. if he did lie to him the question is why. >> he seems to be the person that makes donald trump the most nervous, because he didn't want to fire him and firing him and saying he wish he had not done it. and trump tweeted i had to fire general flynn because he lied to mike pence and the fbi. there are three little letters in that tweet that make it markedly different than the reason he gave in ousting flynn in february, fbi. this week a u.s. president made history, firing the fbi director who was leading one of the key investigations into what is
7:03 am
arguably the biggest scandal in american history. the former fbi director gave a public account of feeling pressured by the president to let the flynn investigation going. >> i believe it's objective of justice, because the president admitted he fired comey because of the russia probe. >> you are fired. get out of here. >> this was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period. >> sean spicer, say it isn't so. pricer is getting off the trump train. at one point he was reduced to petty faith when he had to take a mini fridge junior staffers refused to give up. >> you're testing me, big guy. >> i think he's got some of the best political instincts in the world. >> the newest member of trump world, in coming white house
7:04 am
director, scaramucci. >> just to paraphrase, mooch, it's -- the greatest instincts in all of broadcast. >> he's really rich and his suits fits and all that kind of thing. >> it happened. yes, that's right. reince is out. >> the president has a right to change directions and has a right to hit a reset button. >> meet the new chief of staff. the first day on the job for john kelly, the former department of homeland security secretary. >> i think kelly will demand to be the gatekeeper.
7:05 am
>> what good does it do to have a gatekeeper when the lion is already out of the gate. >> you are all fired. all four are fired. >> and white house editions. we learn the white house communications director is out after a week on the job. he said he wanted to fire everybody on the communications team and start over. now he becomes the latest to be voted off the island in the trump reality show. steve bannon has left the white house and returned to the extent he ever left to breitbart, which he built into the self proclaimed platform of the alt-right. >> bannon is out and think of what he can legitimasay now.
7:06 am
>> price apologized and said he would reimburse the phramerican people. and following the dramatic departure. >> he said she has a story to tell and i am sure she will be yelling that story. >> there was one big question in washington, is trump working on another pink slip for special counsel robert mueller. >> you are fired. get out of here. >> the chaos and the trump administration came as americans faced serious challenges, including one of the biggest hurricane seasons on record. trump's inadequate response to the damage in the u.s. virgin islands in puerto rico created an unnatural disaster. here's how we covered the disaster response on "am joy." >> if anybody out there is listening to us, we are dying and you are killing us with the
7:07 am
inefficiency and the bureaucracy. >> after that desperate plea for help donald trump responded early this morning by attacking her on twitter. the major of san juan joins me now. the president of the united states woke up this morning with you on his mind, and he has now been told by the democrats you must be nasty to trump. did anybody tell you to go out yesterday and to name trudonald trump as you were making your pleas for help. >> i was asking for help and not saying anything nasty about the president. this is not about me. this is not about anybody. this is about lives being lost if things do not get done properly real quickly. >> what do you make of trump saying the people of puerto rico
7:08 am
want everything done by the federal government. >> again, it's atrocious, right? the idea that this is not a conversation he was having when it comes to texas or florida. he's just lumping puerto ricans into the narrative he built. >> i hate to tell you, puerto rico, you have thrown our budget out of whack because we have spent a lot of money on puerto rico. >> thank you, everybody. >> there was a moment when the two of you interacted, and he didn't respond to you or react to it. >> i said it's not about politics, it's about saving lives and he didn't respond. but this was a pr 17-minute meeting, and there was no exchange with nobody, not even the mayors. this view of him throwing paper towels and throwing provisions
7:09 am
at people, it's really -- it does not embody the spirit of the american nation. >> already, you know, the response as included several scandals in terms of the way that the recovery effort was sort of directed. you had the chief of puerto rico's power authority resign, and the whitefish energy contract over bid a no bid contract was cancelled. >> it's shocking and it's maddening and it's part of the reason we are here today. puerto ricans are resilient and they work hard and if given a fair shot they will come back and we will rebuild our island but we have not seen anything close to a fair shot yet. >> i left texas and florida and i left louisiana and i went to puerto rico and i met with the president of the virgin islands, and these are people that are incredible people. they have suffered gravely. >> trump for getting that he is the president of the u.s. virgin
7:10 am
islandss, and it only highlights how overlooked the territory has been, not just with the recent hurricanes, plural, and earlier this week i travelled and found a place that is struggling to get back on its feet. >> it was the strongest hurricane i ever experienced. >> the hurricane is gone but it's still gnawing at us. >> it story has been mostly about puerto rico, the devastation the suffering and the inadequate federal response, but there's a second story and it took place here on the u.s. virgin islands, which was hit by two category 5 hurricanes. >> this is the contents of somebody's life. this is their clothes and everything. >> you can see, there's probably the hallway, and go into the bedrooms and bathrooms, and somebody's kitchen. you can still see some of the t teacups and stuff here.
7:11 am
>> everything just disintegrated. >> this is one of the places where there was a fatality and the wall blew out and the woman was sucked out. the hurricane has tornadoes inside of it, and people are unaware of that and it just pulled her. >> oh, my god. >> yeah. >> and it's much smaller than puerto rico, but it has not gotten the attention. >> not at all. >> what do you own that up to? >> i want to say it's the news cycle. i would like to think that's the reason why. american's attention spans are short, and a lot of people on the island think it's because we are a people of color. >> it would be a sign of respect to us for the president to come, but more than him coming, i just want him to do the right thing by the people of the virgin islands. >> the devastation that americans have to face after these hurricanes will last decades. coming up, number eight story on our list will affect the lives
7:12 am
of every american, and that story is next. liberty did what? yeah, liberty mutual 24-hour roadside assistance helped him to fix his flat so he could get home safely. my dad says our insurance doesn't have that. don't worry - i know what a lug wrench is, dad. is this a lug wrench? maybe? you can leave worry behind when liberty stands with you™. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance. went to ancestry, i put in the names of my grandparents first. i got a leaf right away. a leaf is a hint that is connected to each person in your family tree. i learned that my ten times great grandmother is george washington's aunt.
7:13 am
within a few days i went from knowing almost nothing to holy crow, i'm related to george washington. this is my cousin george. discover your story. start searching for free now at ancestry.com well, thomas, you've got prediabetes. but with more exercise and a change in diet, it can be reversed. but i've tried exercising, and it just makes me hungry for bacon. i love bacon, too. and who really likes to exercise? not me. me neither. nobody! [both laughing] mmm! so we're good? what? oh, you still have prediabetes... big time.
7:14 am
7:15 am
7:16 am
these people by definition are working, they are poor and they don't have the money to buy insurance so how would giving them more choices help them if they don't have any money to buy the choices. >> first, i would question if they are all working, and they will be able to use them to buy insurance with. we are giving tax credits -- >> let me stop you again. >> the two driving missions for republicans over the last eight years have been to destroy obamacare and to permanently change the tax code. in 2017 they almost achieved everything they dreamed of. that's our eighth biggest story of the year. take a look. >> i am also calling on this congress to repeal and replace obamacare with reforms that expand choice and increase
7:17 am
access and lower costs and at the same time provide better health care. >> how will republicans fill such a tall order? who knows because republicans insist they have a plan of their own to repeal and replace obamacare just like they have been saying for years, but they are keeping it a secret for now. they are re-writing the bill in a basement room of the capital with no democrats, no senators or citizens allowed. >> that is part of the plan. you have to put in place the entire plan. >> mark your calendar's, everyone. thursday is the day they plan to vote on trump care which would repeal and replace much of obamacare. as the white house tries to woo
7:18 am
votes, many grapple with the fear of losing their health coverage. >> he tried to help people see the opportunity we have with the bill, and he has been fantastic. still, we have to do better and we will. >> speaker ryan's leadership -- >> i like him. he worked very, very hard. a lot of different groups. he has a lot of different factions, and there has been a long history of liking and disliking ebb within the republican party before we got here. >> still singing each other's praises after failing -- >> well, we are feeling the grow bg pains today. >> republicans spent the last 30 or 40 years trying to replace the image of callousness towards the poor and elderly, and that was whisked away over the
7:19 am
process. there was a cruelty to the bill that really was even apparent to republican voters who were shocked. >> welcome to the beginning of the end of obamacare. >> you guys are the best. >> mr. president, we all voted for the bill. >> congratulations on a job well done. >> this was the scene on thursday after house republicans voted to take away health care from up to 24 million americans and raise premiums on seniors, after they voted to leave it up to the states to decide whether your guarantee your pre-existing conditions will be covered, and after they voted to block medicaid recipients to get care at planned parent hood clinics, and they voted to cut medicaid that provides care.
7:20 am
they gave a tax cut of approximately 200,000 each to the wealthiest .1% of americans. this is how protesters greeted their congressman on their way to the rose garden beer party. 217 members of congress, all republicans, voted for the bill. these are tphaeheir names. here at "am joy" our producers asked every one to join us today, and not a single one agreed. this was the scene outside senate majority leader mitch mcconnell's office on thursday after he repealed the republicans new health bill, and a small handful of republican
7:21 am
men spent weeks concocting it in secret. >> they should have approved health care last night, but you can't have everything. boy, oh, boy, they have been working on that one for seven years. can you believe that? >> in one of the most jaw-dropping political moments, the republican plan to destroy obamacare failed in dramatic fashion on friday, and three republican centers rejected the skinny repeal. much of the media applause has gone to the vote of john mccain, and collins and murkowski had a tougher time, voting their consciences despite threats. don't forget the activist to fought for the right to health care, and they put it all on the line and won, at least for now. >> i don't want you to steal my
7:22 am
mantra, but it's, tax reform. tax reform. >> paul ryan and the republican party are bending over backwards to achieve tax reform. most americans already know who stands to really gain. 60% say it will help the wealthy and 69% say it will help large corporations. >> it's trickle down hope. no hard benefit. >> this is not tax reform. it's craziness. these people are nuts trying to do this stuff. >> on this vote the yays are 51, and the nays are 49. as amended, it's passed. >> there's a reason why republicans, many of whom, did not want trump to be the presidential nominee lined up behind him anyway. there's a reason why they have
7:23 am
been calm about trump every since, and even in the face of questions about his grip on reality. there's a reason that republicans don't seem to care whether trump got into office with the help of a foreign power, and why they support him no matter how much he degrades the office of the presidency, and last night we saw the reason, when the senate passed a bill raising taxes on working americans in order to cut taxes for the rich corporations, and last night the american people saw him themselves, and there's one thing the republicans care about every since they cracked open their copy of the atlas shrugs. >> i said, there's a bargain here and it was always we are going to look the other way and rati rationalize and defend as long as we get tax cuts. >> in the dead of night they decided to horse trade on the backs of the middle class and poor people for what? >> tax reform.
7:24 am
tax reform. tax reform. >> it's the largest -- i always say the most massive, but it's the largest tax cut in the history of our country. >> today's passage of the part is not tax bill officially comments the republican party of the wealthy and party of big corporations. >> do you think the tax bill will help republicans win the house? >> let them think that. >> stay tuned to 2018, because with donald trump in the white house, up next at number seven, trump on the world stage. what could possibly go wrong? stay with us.
7:25 am
afi sure had a lot on my mind. my 30-year marriage... ...my 3-month old business... plus...what if this happened again? i was given warfarin in the hospital, but wondered, was this the best treatment for me? so i made a point to talk to my doctor. he told me about eliquis. eliquis treats dvt and pe blood clots and reduces the risk of them happening again. not only does eliquis treat dvt and pe blood clots. eliquis also had significantly less major bleeding than the standard treatment. eliquis had both... ...and that turned around my thinking. don't stop eliquis unless your doctor tells you to. eliquis can cause serious and in rare cases fatal bleeding. don't take eliquis if you have an artificial heart valve or abnormal bleeding. if you had a spinal injection while on eliquis call your doctor right away if you have tingling, numbness, or muscle weakness. while taking eliquis, you may bruise more easily... and it may take longer than usual for bleeding to stop. seek immediate medical care for sudden signs of bleeding, like unusual bruising. eliquis may increase your bleeding risk
7:26 am
if you take certain medicines. tell your doctor about all planned medical or dental procedures. eliquis treats dvt and pe blood clots. plus had less major bleeding. both made eliquis right for me. ask your doctor if switching to eliquis is right for you. [hawaiian music playing]
7:27 am
let out your inner child at the lexus december to remember sales event. lease the 2017 is turbo for $299 a month for 36 months. experience amazing at your lexus dealer.
7:28 am
korean golfers are some of the best. in fact, and you know what i'm going to say, the women's u.s. open was held this year at trump
7:29 am
national golf club in new jersey, and it just happened to be won by a great korean golfer. >> in 2017 we found out how an international business mogul would run america. the seventh big egest story of e year is trump on the world stage. >> drive them out. drive them out of your places of worship. drive them out of your communities. drive them out of your holy land, and drive them out of this earth. >> donald trump today delivered a speech in saudi arabia to some 50 representatives of muslim-majority countries, and although he did mention islamic extremist and islamic terror,
7:30 am
the president did not use the phrase radical islamic terrorism. >> anybody who cannot condemn the hatred of radical islam lacks the clarity to be as a president. >> donald trump had what the folks over at slate called his first big boy trip, and he took a nine-day world tour that concludes today in italy.
7:31 am
♪ >> i never mentioned that in our conversation. >> congratulations. great job. thank you very much. >> despite all that awesomeness that you just saw, somehow trump's first global event is not being viewed in general as a success. perhaps for no reason more than what he failed to say while standing behind the new 9/11 article 5 memorial, a tribute to the lives lost in the terrorists attack and to nato invoking article 5 for the first time ever in its history, in support
7:32 am
of us, and despite the not so subtle reminder, trump did not do what every other american president has done give an unequivocal endorsement of the mutual defense agreement. >> i am dumbfounded. i can barely say anything. the trip to nato was a disaster, and i am saying that as a former war fighter. vladimir putin won on that trip. >> he also shoved the representative that resisted vladimir putin and joined native, and i think we have the video. that's weird. >> the confidence goes so deeply. it is astounding. >> let me start off by you, i
7:33 am
heard it was 17 agencies, and i said that's a lot, do we even have that many. >> you were invited yet again this time from nazi germany and the soviet union from the east. that's trouble. >> the fundamental question of our time is whether the west has the will to survive. >> donald trump wraps up his appearance on the world stage today, and the main event was trump's first official meeting with russian president, vladimir putin, after this unanswered question. >> did you rig the election? >> thank you very much. >> today we finally acknowledged the obvious, that jerusalem is israel's capital. >> trump announced wednesday his plans to put the embassy in jerusalem.
7:34 am
they believe the move will lead to massive unrest in the region. the status of jerusalem is the most sensitive issue in the palestinian conflict, and the city contains sites sacred to jews, christians and muslims. >> president trump, thank you for today's decision to recognize jerusalem as israel's capital. >> i think there's no clearer picture of the u.s. having cleanly taken sides than what you just saw. >> there's no more peace process. the peace process has been dead for a while. >> this is a serious mistake. the trump administration now has a high bar to overcome. if they are arguing this step was taken in pursuit of advancing the peace process or stability in the region.
7:35 am
>> god bless you, god bless israel, and the palestinians, and god bless the united states. thank you very much. thankfully, the breakthrough in prevagen helps your brain and actually improves memory. the secret is an ingredient originally discovered... in jellyfish. in clinical trials, prevagen has been shown to improve short-term memory. prevagen. the name to remember.
7:36 am
7:37 am
7:38 am
the fake media is trying to silence us, but we will not let them because the people know the truth. the fake media tried to stop us
7:39 am
from going to the white house, but i'm president and they're not. >> welcome back. the man who put his hand on the bible and promised to protect the u.s. constitution has been a good chunk of his time in 2017 attacking the freedom of the press. the number sixth story in the count down and the top ten stories of 2017, trump's war on the media. >> this was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period, both in person and around the globe. we know 420,000 people used the d.c. metro public yesterday. >> according to the dc metro, 570,557 people took trips on the system throughout the entire day on inauguration day. the system saw 1.1 million trips
7:40 am
on the same day in 2009. in other words, mr. spicer, not the largest number of people who viewed an inaugural, period. not even close. >> these attempts to lesson the enthusiasm of the inauguration are shameful and wrong. >> he is sending out the trusted voices of the administration to lie with venom. >> don't be so overly dramatic, chuck. you are saying it's a falsehood and they are giving sean spicer gave alternative facts -- >> wait, alternative facts for the five facts he uttered, and the -- four of the five facts he uttered are not true. >> if you would lie as something as trivial as how many people
7:41 am
watched the inauguration, how are we supposed to trust anything you say at all. >> this is straight out of the russian playbook, the authoritarian playbook. if anybody in the u.s. intelligence community were ever to behave or speak in the way this administration is doing, they would be taken off of site and they would not be allowed back and we have names for these people, fabuloust, or pathological liars. >> they are among the most dishonest human beings on the earth. >> a lot of his tweets are based on what he's watching on cable television. he's obsessed -- >> do you see that. that is donald trump when he was a character on tv performing on wwe, and he's retweeted out
7:42 am
himself doing that, and the tweet says fraud news cnn, fnn, which means fox news network. what is that? >> it's insanity. >> do you want to conclude the congressional black caucus -- >> i would. you want to set up the meeting? do you want to set up the meeting? are they friends of yours? >> i know some of them. >> i would love to meet with the black caucus, i think it's great. >> they did request a meeting with the president last month, the problem is the white house didn't respond. by the way, the meeting request was not facilitated by april ryan who did not do that as part of her reporting job. >> i was in shock, and i wanted to let it be known that that is not what i do. >> you are attacking our news organization -- give us a chance to -- >> quiet. quiet.
7:43 am
>> can you say -- >> don't be rude. >> can you give us a question. >> don't be rude. i'm not going to give you a question. >> this is an administration that pushes back and is trying to destroy the fourth estate. trump does it because he's injured and -- >> i called the fake news the enemy of the people, and they are. the enemy of the people. >> they are so biassed and really it's a disgrace. >> they may effect the press from the white house, and they say they are the opposition party, a senior official says, unnamed, i want them out of the building and we are taking back the press room. >> i said let's not ever do any more press briefings. we don't have them. i think it's a good idea. >> trump's administration
7:44 am
silenced a way of communication by insuring nearly all press briefings this week will be nor seen or heard during a live broadcast. >> when you deal with moving the press out of the white house, we are built into the framework of this nation. >> the media is trying to attack our administration because they know we are following through on pledges that we made and they are not happy about it. >> the fake media is trying to silence us. but we will not let them because the people know the truth. the fake media tried to stop us from going to the white house, but i'm president and they're not. >> at one point, he says russia, if you are listening, i want you to find those e-mails. i raised my hand and thought, is
7:45 am
he serious? does he want a foreign government to hack into the e-mails, not just hillary clinton, but anybody in the country, and why would he want a foreign government getting involved in the politics? i pushed him on it, and if he was joking, he could say he was joking but he didn't, he stood his ground. and i asked if it gave him pause and he said no and told me to be quiet. >> i think we are in a crisis of unprecedented proportions in a lot of ways and it's incumbent upon us to speak truth to power. >> news outlets get to go on day after day and cite unnamed sources and use stories without sources. >> we are here to ask you questions and what you just did is inflammatory to people all over the country, to say look,
7:46 am
everybody in this room is only trying to do their job. >> you have got russia. if the president puts russian salad dressing on his salad dressing tonight that's a russia connection. i appreciate your agenda here, but the reality is -- hold on. no. at some point report the facts. i'm sorry that disgusts you, and please stop shaking your head again. >> i apologize if things got heated but you did make pretty rough insinuations. thank you, and i will hand it over to sarah. >> you have some great networks. i must tell you, fox has treated me fairly. >> he promotes fox because fox promotes him, and he slams cnn because cnn won't promote him. sean hannity, he literally is
7:47 am
his hype man every night. >> hannity, how good is hannity? how good is hannity? and he's a great guy, and he's an honest guy. >> he's not just using the stroking of the media to build up his ego. >> he wakes up and tunes into cnn, and -- >> fox & friends in the morning is the best show and it's the absolute most honest show. and it's the show i watch. >> it's like a drug for him, so he can't get the mainstream media because obviously they won't respect him so therefore he goes to the things he can control, and that's the tabloid journalism or the twitter account, so trump gets his drug and bannon gets the goal of doing away with mainstream media.
7:48 am
>> up next, the real reason donald trumps attacks america's favorite sport? more "am joy" top ten stories right after the break. taking care of a family member can lead to plenty of questions. fortunately, there's a place to get the answers, for them and for you. find articles, tips and tools from experts and others who have been in your place. the caregiving resource center at aarp.org/caregiving.
7:49 am
7:50 am
7:51 am
wouldn't you love to see one of these nfl owners when
7:52 am
somebody disrespects our flag to say, get that son of a off the field right now. out. he's fired. fired! >> long before donald trump ever moved into the white house, colin kaepernick had america talking with his nfl protests. even though cap 49kaepernick ha played a down of football in 2017, donald trump has done all he can to keep this alive. truck tackles the nfl, number 5. tonight i'm taking a knee for america. [ cheers and applause ] >> but not just one knee, i'm taking both knees. >> several members of the nfl, the nba and other celebrities
7:53 am
and entertainers are uniting around a statement that is being a source of controversy for more than a year now. taking a knee during the national anthem to protest police brutality. last night it was stevie wonder, and at this moment in london the baltimore ravens are facing off against the jacksonville jaguars. after several players joined the protests that colin kaepernick started last year and took a knee, all of this was sparked by comments from donald trump made on friday night. >> wouldn't you love to see one of these nfl owners when somebody disrespects our flag to say, get that son of a bitch off the field right now, out. he's fired. he's fired! >> this has nothing to do with football. this has everything to do with power and control and keeping these players in their place. >> america owes colin kaepernick an apology this morning and the
7:54 am
nfl owes him a job. if he had beaten up his wife or girlfriend he would still be playing. >> colin kaepernick was taking a knee before donald trump got elected. they realize that the white house validates and normalizes this president. jamel hill being excellent as she usually is and telling the country is that our president sympathizes with white supremacists. this president is incapable of functioning under criticism. >> have a peaceful protest, you need to get fired and get thrown off the field. >> this president is denigrating our discourse and setting new low standards for all kinds of people in a way that, frankly, will endure with us and lurk in places we can't even see for much longer than he's even alive. >> this administration is doing the work of white supremacy, so
7:55 am
whether or not we want to call them white supremacists is, you know, irrelevant really. i think it's about the fact that they are doing the work, and this is part of the work. it's about delegitimizing protests of what is going on in this country and so, you know, if you can make it about the flag, you can make it about things that you're generally supposed to agree with, then, you know, it becomes something different. >> yeah. >> and a lot of people unfortunately because it's low information media, whatever, they are buying into it. >> houston texans owner rob mcnair offered the latest carefully worded mia culpa. colin kaepernick is yet to be signed by any team, if anything, it's grown. this week's gq magazine named kaepernick citizen of the year. >> if you're more enraged about a quiet, peaceful protest during an nfl game during a segment of
7:56 am
an nfl game that most people don't even watch, if you're more upset about that than you are about police brutality and americans getting killed by police officers, then you are part of the problem. i look at what colin kaepernick did and the movement he has helped spark as inspirational and as truly american. when you are agitating in a way to try to make your country better, that is true patriotism. stay with us. there's another hour of "a.m. joy" and the top 10 stories of 2017. don't go away.
7:57 am
7:58 am
7:59 am
8:00 am
you know, for the moment all we can say is that we are heart broken. i am heart broken for matt. he is my dear, dear friend and my partner and he is being left by many people here, and i am heart broken by the brave colleague who came forward to tell her story and any other women who have their own stories to tell. and we are grappling with a dilemma that so many people have faced these past few weeks. how do you reconcile your love for someone with the revelation that they have behaved that way? >> one of the lasting legacies of 2017 will be a new chapter in
8:01 am
the fight against sexual harassment. this year powerful television hosts were fired and producers, actors, and politicians lost their jobs for sexually harassing women. victims are standing up like never before and saying enough. as we count down "a.m. joy's" top ten stories of 2017, our number 4 story is the me too movement. >> it was at that time where he turned to me and embraced me and gave me a kiss on the lips. >> when we entered the room he grabbed each of us tightly in a hug and kissed each one of us without asking permission. >> he then grabbed my shoulder and began kissing me again very aggressively and placed his hand on my breast. >> one of the women who accused donald trump of sexual misconduct last year is suing him for calling her a liar. >> i'm just sitting there minding my business and he walks past and says, hey, hot chocolate. >> that was one of the latest women to come forward with sexual harassment accusations against bill o'reilly that led fox news to put him on permanent
8:02 am
vacation this week. unfortunately at fox news they marginalize women and they debase women, they devalued women, they demeaned women. it is unacceptable and so this is just the beginning. >> "the new york times" dropped a bombshell report with women going on the record about decades of sexual harassment accusations against megaproducer harvey weinstein. now we're starting to see women coming forward because once a few women come forward then you start to get the flood of stories. the same thing did happen with donald trump. i think we forget who these women are. i want to go through with the trump accusers, you know, the bbc, daily news, "huffington post", mimi laconin. kristen anderson, jessica leads. temple taggart mctowel. ivan na trump has made allegations which she retracted later. do we have like a triple standard here that if it's the president it's okay but if it's harvey weinstein we're
8:03 am
rightfully mortified? >> at a point i've spoken to so many women this week who are pissed off. we don't want to be treated that way. >> on saturday another bombshell was dropped. the paper reported that last january bill o'reilly, then the network's top rated host, struck a $32 million agreement with a long-time network annual list to settle allegations of misconduct. whatever right wing media would have you believe, it's because sexual harassment is about abuse of power and not because of partisan politics. harvey weinstein, you now have at least 58 accused, 56 accusers. bill o'reilly has seven accusations, bill cosby more than 50. but sitting right there in the middle of that little full screen we've got is donald trump. >> the fact of the matter is is that the gop put a self-proclaimed and self-admitted sexual assaulter in the white house.
8:04 am
i mean, this is something -- i don't understand how our culture can change when the president of the united states is just as bad as weinstein and o'reilly. >> you were really the first high profile woman to come forward with allegations of sexual harassment at fox against roger ales. how difficult and complicated is it it come forward when the attacks are saying you're a traitor. >> coming forward with something like this is an excruciating choice for women. it's not something that you decide to do overnight. courage is a building process. one of the things i like to talk about in the book is how we can give that gift of courage to young people so at least they have the foundation, but to make a decision like this, biggest professional decision of my life. >> this week #metoo proliferated on social media as millions of women shared their stories of surviving sexual assault and
8:05 am
harassme harassment. the metoo movement began a decade ago when tyrann na burk listened as one of her campers said she was being abused at home. we were reminded of the more than 100 women including members of the national and olympic gymnastics teams who have accused gymnastics doctor larry nasser of abuse. mckayla moroney tweeted her own. >> alabama's roy moore is denying accusations of sexual misconduct. he is not dropping out of the race. this is moore's first public appearance since the washington post told the story of a woman who says moore initiated sexual contact with her when she was a 14-year-old girl. and he was a 32-year-old assistant prosecutor. i am not shocked by donald trump, he's an ass. i'm not shocked by roy moore. he's a loud mouth, gun toting
8:06 am
fool. what i am shocked by is the complicity, enabling what these people are doing. in the presidency of donald trump who himself would be in jail in most states if he had been caught grabbing a woman by the crotch without her permission, that is called criminal assault. >> as a pastor, as a leader, my first goal if an accuser came to me to be min administered, to be counselled is to first discover what do we need to do to start the healing process within that. >> but roy moore isn't asking for redemption or healing. he's denying he did it. >> we're not talking about roy moore. >> yes, we are. that's what i have you booked on to talk about. >> we're talking about it because it's all connected. we need to be asking ourselves, joy, between roy moore and the accusers, who is more credible? a person that has had years of experience, years of walking upright publicly. >> you don't find these women credible? >> these new nine women -- >> they're only new because they're not public figures. you're telling me you don't find -- you find roy moore more
8:07 am
credible than them? zwr you have to let me finish. the idea that we're going to discredit these women because they don't have the prominence of roy moore, that is how roy moore and harvey weinstein. >> not what i said. >> bill o'reilly and all the rest of these predators have been able to get away with it for so long, because they were in a position of power and the women were afraid of social and professional and cultural consequences. >> some republican lawmakers have been asked to address the allegations against senate candidate roy moore. it's a now familiar refrain. what about al franken? >> i think in one case specifically senator franken has admitted wrongdoing and the president hasn't. i think that's a clear distinction. >> franken admits it and roy moore denies it. >> today i am announcing that in the coming weeks i will be resigning as a member of the united states senate. i, of all people, am aware that
8:08 am
there is some irony in the fact that i am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the oval office. >> this week charlie rose, formerly of the charlie rose show and cbs this morning became the latest name added to a growing list of famous powerful men accused of social misconduct. >> director comey said while they have no proof we assess that it is possible that hostile actors gained access to secretary clinton's personal e-mail accounts. you were communicating on highly sensitive topics. why wasn't it more than a mistake? why wasn't it disqualifying? >> after matt lauer hosted a live primetime commander in chief forum for nbc news last september during the presidential campaign, there was widespread criticism of lawyer treating hillary clinton unfairly, interrupting her and grilling her about her e-mails while treating donald trump with kid gloves and failing to fact
8:09 am
check his lie about opposing the iraq war. clinton was among the critics who believed his performance was sexist. this week she was asked about lawyer who was fired as host of the "today" show after a woman colleague made a detailed complaint. clinton's response, quote, every day i believe more in karma. now matt lauer did, indeed, help shape the narrative during the most contentious presidential race in history. charlie rose, mark halperin, ben thrush, bill o'reilly, men on the ever expanding list of giants in the media who are facing allegations of sexual misconduct. most of these men have been fired. thrush has been suspended. though those are positive steps, given that other men accused of the behavior continue to have titles and are running for office, hint, hint, those actions beg the question, did their allegedly troubled history with women affect the outcome of the 2017 election? >> they lead an infrastructure in which undermining and
8:10 am
degrading women could be carted off as locker room talk. we were willing to accept that and the idea that men who knew that there were skeletons in their closet refused to come down hard when other skeletons were disclosed is significant. hillary clinton's loss and the loss of every woman who has been pushed out of a job and made to feel intimidatinged in a world where that is said to be okay. coming up, the story "a.m. joy" has been on since 2016. that's next.
8:11 am
8:12 am
ancestrydna makes over 10 million new family connections, every day. that's more ways to discover new relatives. people who share your dna. and maybe a whole lot more. order your kit at ancestrydna.com
8:13 am
over 300 people would have had to have been involved in processing all the information that would go into, as naier called it, which is correct, hybrid warfare, which is warfare against political institutions, people, systems using information warfare propaganda in everything, and wikileaks was a critical component of that. assange could quickly turn
8:14 am
state's evidence against the trump administration if he knows the lengths to winning himself. >> ticktock, ticktock, ticktock. we like you predicting things on this show so come back and do it again. "a.m. joy" has been your home for the wide reaping russia investigation that has engulfed donald trump and the russia investigation. it started in 2016 and continued for the entire 2017 season. i get the feeling that it's also going to be around in 2018. next up, number three on our top stories countdown, russia gate. >> u.s. intelligence chiefs report that russian president vladimir putin directed a, quote, influence campaign targeting the u.s. presidential election. >> if putin likes donald trump, guess what, folks, that's called an asset, not a liability. >> the senate intelligence committee announced late friday that it will investigate russia's alleged interference in the presidential election. >> what i can confirm having spoken to him about it is that
8:15 am
those conversations that happen to occur around the time that the united states took action to expel diplomats had nothing whatsoever to do with those sanctions. >> this week in an explosive news story the washington post reports that nine, nine current and former u.s. senior officials have confirmed sanctions against russia were in fact the topic of discussion between flynn and the ambassador. >> what's the old saying, the cover up is the crime. >> "the new york times" piece said trump campaign aids had repeated contact with russian intelligence. >> this is going to be the greatest scandal in american history. this is benedict arnold territory. >> political fallout continues over session's testimony. >> why? why were these people in communication with moscow or the representatives of moscow at all? >> fbi director jim comey will be testifying at a house
8:16 am
intelligence committee on russian interference in the 2016 elections. >> the fbi, as part of our counter intelligence mission, is investigating the russian government's efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election, and that includes investigating the nature of any links between individuals associated with the trump campaign and the russian government and whether there was any coordination between the campaign and russia's efforts. >> well, i'm going to tell you right now, i know who's going to break. general flynn is most likely going to find himself before a federal court and he's going to have to defend himself. >> thursday wall street journal dropped a bombshell that flynn is shopping around and offered to be interviewed by the fbi and by the house and senate intelligence committees in exchange for immunity from prosecution. remember that dossier about trump's ties to russia? which we've been reminding you is unsubstantiated.
8:17 am
well, according to cnn, the fbi used the claims in the dossier to subpoena carter page. >> i honestly do not understand why the white house is covering up for michael flynn. i don't get it. after the president fired him for lying. >> let me say hearing this story today was the first i heard of it. >> you'd have to be a straight up idiot to not -- to not realize that he's registered as a foreign agent or the staff would have to be totally incompetent for him to be able to not be aware of the situation that arose. >> this is something we are going to be looking into a lot further, ticktock, ticktock. >> regardless of recommendation, i was going to fire comey knowing there was no good time to do it. and, in fact, when i decided to just do it i said to myself, i said, you know, this russia thing with trump and russia is a made up story. >> donald trump has now openly admitted that his firing of the
8:18 am
fbi director jim comey right in the middle of an investigation into the trump campaign's possible collusion with russia was for exactly the reason you think, to make the investigation go away. >> i did it with a range. i think he asked for the dinner. he wanted to stay on as the fbi hed. >> close comey associates told the fbi and nfc noesi a very different version of that dinner. it was the president asking making requests that comey, specifically, pledge his personal loyalty to trump. trump's very words, actions and tweets have put him at odds with intelligence agency since the november election. that's why when news broke that he may have shared highly classified information with a russian foreign minister and the russian ambassador, it did nothing but strain an already fraught relationship. jared kushner and russia's ambassador to washington discussed the possibility of setting up a secret and secure communications channel between
8:19 am
trump's team and the kremlin. >> when you tie all of this in, every one of them has one nexus and that nexus is sergei kislyack. every one of these people tried to hide their connections to him. >> he did say under oath that you told him to let the flynn -- you said you hoped the flynn investigation you could -- he could let go. >> i didn't say that. >> so he lied about that? >> well, i didn't say that. i mean, i will tell you i didn't say that. >> did he ask you to pledge -- >> and there would be nothing wrong if i did say it according to everybody that i've read today, but i did not say that. >> plainly and simply the fbi director gave a public account of being pressured by the president to, quote, let the flynn investigation go and suggested that his firing was part of an effort to change the way the russia investigation was being conducted. >> kicking superior officers out of the oval office, looking the fbi director in the eye and say, i hope you let this go.
8:20 am
i was honestly concerned that he might lie about the nature of our meeting so i thought it really important to document. >> director comey's testimony where he basically calls donald trump a liar makes it crystal clear, donald trump's presidency is a cancer on this nation and perhaps the only hope from that cancer spreading is the nation's oncologist, special counsel robert mueller. >> mueller is now investigating whether donald trump obstructed justice. rather than let his lawyer speak for him, trump tweeted. i am being investigated for firing the fbi director by the man who told me to fire the fbi director! witch hunt. this week "the wall street journal" reported strongest evidence yet of possible collusion detailing how a gop operative, the now deceased peter w. smith launched a quest to obtain e-mails he believed were stolen from hillary clinton's private server while implying that he was connected to michael flynn. >> it shows you both, a, how good the russians are at manipulating people and, b, it shows you how susceptible --
8:21 am
>> right. >> -- the man in the white house is to that manipulation. >> i'm more than happy to be transparent and more than happy to cooperate. >> as far as this incident occurred, this is all of it. >> this is everything. >> that was most certainly not everything because on friday we learned that there was still a lot about the june 2016 meeting with a kremlin connected lawyer that we had not yet seen. it turns out that that lawyer wasn't the only russian in the room in donald jr.'s e-mail correspondence. what he and the trump campaign were promised in those e-mails was some official documents and information that would incriminate hillary clinton, information that is part of russia and its government support for mr. trump. an extraordinary offer purported to be from the russian government but which apparently raised no red flags for donald trump jr. who replied, if it's what you say, i love it. >> this actually meets the standard of conspiracy because
8:22 am
you don't have to rob a bank, right, to actually plan to rob a bank and take the money. >> let me be clear, i never had meetings with russian operatives or russian intermediaries about the trump campaign. >> the new revelations, if true, contradict the various explanations that sessions has offered about the content of those conversations. special counsel robert mueller is now tapping multiple grand jurys in his investigation of russia's interference in our election. news of a recent fbi raid on one of paul manafort's homes had donald trump trying to put daylight between himself and his one-time campaign chief. in that july 26th raid fbi agents seized documents related to special counsel's robert mueller's sprawling russia investigation. >> i own nothing in russia. i have no loans in russia. i don't have any deals in russia. >> and in a last russiagate revelations this week we learned that trump's business was still trying to make that deal with
8:23 am
russia for a trump tower in moscow happen at the same time that he was running for president of the united states. >> that's the million dollar question you ask. the outcomes razor here, the simple thing for everyone to think about is the explanation for why this is occurring is does it line donald trump's wallet? >> special counsel robert mueller has the draft of the original letter that trump wrote firing comey which offers an unvarnished view of trump's motive. trump poured all of his rage into a letter filled with, quote, his unfettered thoughts which he dictated to adviser steven miller and which they said was a screed. >> in case you're curious, no, russia did not help me, okay? russia. >> donald trump sure seems pretty keen to distance himself from russia. maybe because special counsel robert mueller has requested a large swath of documents from the white house. at the same time, zeroing in on
8:24 am
trump's former campaign chairman paul manafort who according to the washington post offered private briefings to russian operative in july of 2016. >> this is just the beginning of the tip of the iceberg. >> yeah. >> as the next year goes by, maybe in the next six months we're going to start seeing indictments. we're going to start seeing people actually having to pay for the things that they've done. >> ladies and gentlemen, we have an indictment. special counsel robert mueller's office will issue the first indictment. >> federal investigators have enough evidence to bring charges in the investigation of trump's former national security adviser, michael flynn, and his son. >> lock him up. lock him up. >> he has been caught, and mueller has done what i've always known he would do, starting to connect the dots and bring them in. >> we'll see what happens. >> after donald trump answered
8:25 am
that question for reporters yesterday morning, we all saw what happened. trump tweeted, i had to fire general flynn because he lied to the vice president and the fbi. now there are three little letters in that tweet that make it markedly different from the reason he gave for ousting flynn in february. fbi. >> this is an incriminating tweet. what it suggests is that president trump knew that there was an fbi investigation at the time that he went to comey, then director of the fbi, and said, can you give him a break? >> in january while donald trump was delivering his inaugural address, his then national security adviser, michael flynn, was texting a business associate with assurances that u.s. policy towards russia was as good as reversed. >> i call on them to join me in firing bob mueller. >> the hunt for something, anything has become a white whale not only for fox news hosts but also as the washington
8:26 am
post reported this week for republican lawmakers and activists. all of them engaged in what the post describes as a multi-front attack with one clear goal, to impede mueller's investigation, dismiss any finding that's unfavorable to trump or build a case for trump to make a nicks ownian attempt to fire mueller outride. >> this is insane. do i have to be the one that comes out and tells the american public he takes away the fundamental ability for us to police ourselves and to police a president of the united states, he has done the ultimate obstruction in justice. he is dismantling the constitution, and it cannot stand. >> this is serious stuff and you really need to start thinking about it because a lot of people across this world live with governments like this for decades. in the united states we have mechanisms that are supposed to be able to protect us. we need to start using them. up next, in 2017 racism showed its ugly face in broad daylight in an american city. more "a.m. joy" next. (victoria vo) when i was twelve,
8:27 am
i started volunteering for national parks. i go out and demonstrate to people what life was like in the eighteenth century. you can have almost a spiritual experience with the beauty of nature or with a connection with the past. there's no better place to find that than a national park, which preserves that beauty and the history. (vo) the subaru share the love event has donated over six-point-five million dollars to help the national parks. get zero percent financing for 63 months on select models, plus we'll donate two hundred and fifty dollars to charity. patients that i see about dry mouth. they feel that they have to drink a lot of water. medications seem to be the number one cause for dry mouth. i like to recommend biotene. it replenishes the moisture in your mouth. biotene definitely works. [heartbeat]
8:28 am
8:29 am
8:30 am
>> did you get that? >> go. >> in 2017 the white supremacy movement felt emboldened by a new president. that movement referred its ugly head in charlottesville, virginia, on august 12th, and some of the fireworks started right here on "a.m. joy." >> i was invited in to give a speech to that regard, and as we were closing down -- i've got to
8:31 am
go. i've got to go. i've got to go. >> oh, my goodness, i don't know what is happening here. i don't know what just happened there with our guest but i -- we're going to try to find out what happened and she was standing at the location where it looks like now violence has broken out among the crowd. violent clashes are underway in charlottesville, virginia, as they're marching at the unite the right rally. >> marching down the market street is the neonazis, the traditionalist workers' party which is a neofascist organization. they tried to assault people. they assaulted local peace activists. >> you had people who are white nationalists from the alt right throwing all kinds of things towards the counter protesters. the counter protesters in turn
8:32 am
were throwing things back. >> a driver plowed a car into a crowd of peacefully marching counter protestors killing one person and injuring 19 others. several witnesses say they believe it was intentional. >> this is a sad day in america, and i'm afraid that there will be many more because of the hate for rhetoric that we have unleashed in this country. >> this is the republican party right now that's on display. donald trump's republican party. >> we are not the party of fashionism in america. we are going to have to reject this. >> the head of our country is donald j. trump and until he steps up and speaks out and calls this what it is, it is racism, it is anti-semitism pure and simple and he condemns it in no uncertain terms, he is condoning it. >> you had some very bad people in that group, but you also had
8:33 am
people that were very fine people on both sides. >> donald trump is a terrible human being. he is taking this white house so far dointo the gutter, so far io the darkness that even lucifer wants to fumigate. >> you had many people in that group other than neonazis and white nationalists, okay? and the press has treated them absolutely unfairly. >> his response to that demonstration last week in charlottesville was monstrous. the reason he's been treated like a monster is because of the way he responded to an american crisis was a monstrosity. >> he watched neonazis, white supremists, white nationalists salute the nazi flag in his name. they were saying that we are keeping donald trump's promise and he thinks that these are fine people. he went -- he stood behind the
8:34 am
podium with the seal of the presidency, of the white house and he continued to enable them, he encouraged them, he defended them. this is the type of president that we have currently in the oval office. >> we condemn in the strongest possible terms this ee green gous display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides, on many sides. >> there's no way to defend the neonazis. >> but donald trump did. he defended them. he said there were fine people among those people who were chanting you will not replace us. >> jews will not replace us. he said among that group of young men who said jews will not replace us there were fine people. do you think there were fine people in that group? >> those folks that provide cover for people who are invested in the confederacy, neonazis, white supremacists, those folks reject the constitution. they reject equality as one of the basic tenants of america. >> one of the reasons donald trump cannot properly respond to what was an obvious, you know,
8:35 am
proper response from an american president is the people in his government. who's writing the talking points that he was looking down and reading from? he has people like steven miller claimed as a mentee by richard spend ser who was spencer, he had steven bannon who read breitbart.com where they self-describe as the home of the alt right. that is who is in his government. sebastian gorka, who wore the medal of a nazi organization. he is being paid by the government. the idea that the president of the united states cannot unambiguously denounce naziism is extraordinary. next up, our number one story. you do not want to miss it.
8:36 am
you can't predict the market. but through good times and bad... ...at t. rowe price... ...we've helped our investors stay confident for over 75 years. call us or your advisor. t. rowe price. invest with confidence.
8:37 am
8:38 am
8:39 am
the donald trump era has a growing number of americans to say enough is enough. in a year with no shortage of huge shortage from health care, nfl, me too, russia gate. our number one story of the year, the resistance. >> today the resistance will be televised live from washington, d.c., where more than 200,000 people are expected to gather to join the women's march on washington. the crowd may even top the one that gathered for trump's inauguration. >> there's a reason why women are out. i'm sitting here and i'm watching thousands and thousands of women stream by. 281 cities around the world,
8:40 am
seven continents including antarcti antarctica, women are protesting today. >> you have your hat. >> i know. i'm at this march. >> can you get lisa's hat on camera. the shot of the hat. >> this is actually the symbol of the march. this is what women are wearing. >> i am so excited. >> this is an outpouring of energy and true democracy like i have never seen in my very long life. >> we will not go from being a nation of immigrants to a nation of ignorance. >> d.c. officials told the associated press that 500,000 people marched through the streets of the capitol and organizers of the women's march say that more than 650 sister marches took place around the world. >> women are always going to pull things off. everyone questions. most people doubted us. we have this saying that you either have a seat at the table or you're on the menu.
8:41 am
so we're either going to be an agenda item or we're going to set the agenda, and the purpose was for us to come to the table to set the agenda. i think that was very clear. >> we believe in science. we know that climate change is real. we also believe that immigration makes us a stronger country. we will not build a stupid wall! >> donald trump signed an executive order banning immy grapts and visa holders from libya, sudan, somalia, syria, iraq, iran, and yemen for 90 days with syrian refugees banned indefinitely. now it should be noted that while trump's ban covers these countries, which have produced exactly zero people linked to terrorist attacks that have killed americans between 1975 and 2015, the ban does not cover countries like turkey, egypt, united arab emirates and saudi arabia, countries with whom the trump family does business and
8:42 am
who sit whose citizens have been linked to terrorist attacks including 15 of the 19 9/11 attackers who were saudis. >> what we are doing is creating a base for terrorism that didn't exist last night, and when we do that, what we do is we push intellige intelligent, educated, clever people into believing that the united states does not stand for the morals of that building right behind me there, independence hall, and that what we stand for is a form of racism and segregation and bigotry that osama bin laden and baghdadi and other terrorist leaders have been saying for years. >> what's happening in the united states of america right now is not normal, and if you're alarmed, you have every reason to be alarmed. the day after donald trump signed an executive order temporarily banning all refugees from the united states and immigrants from seven muslim majority countries, people gathered at airports around the country, dulles, jfk, o'hare,
8:43 am
logan, seatac just to name a few to demand the release of immigrants detained. for mr. khan, trump's attack on muslims and immigrants is acu acutely personal. his son, a naturalized american muslim, was killed in combat in iraq in 2004 and gold star father khan joins me now. >> joy, i am so saddened for my country, for my nation, for the country and nation for which we have fought. we continue to defend. i invite donald trump and his racist and his islamophobe to go to the arlington cemetery and go to section 60, face all of the tombstones there, and if they have any shame, any shame they
8:44 am
should refrain from this unamerican activity. >> today the resistance is rising up to demand that donald trump release his tax returns with protests in cities all across the country. >> i really do believe in the power of the people, and i think it's very important for us to resist and to demand. he must show his taxes. every president since nixon has shown their taxes, and i think the people have a right to know. >> mr. president, what's your decision on daca, mr. president? >> thank you very much. >> a decision on daca? >> sometime today or over the weekend we'll have a decision. >> [ inaudible ]. >> we love the d.r.e.a.m.ers. we love everybody. thank you very much. >> i want to talk to you about the 800,000 americans who may soon be at risk of deportation. the d.r.e.a.m.ers. undocumented immigrants who came to this country as children under the age of 16. for many of whom america is the only country they know. this tuesday donald trump is expected to announce whether he'll end the obama era program
8:45 am
allowing these d.r.e.a.m.ers to remain in the u.s., a program known as deferred action for childhood arrival or daca for short. i want to put up for our audience so you understand how you qualify for daca because donald trump has made this sort of distinction, we only want to deport people who are, quote, criminal. you have to have come to the u.s. before your 16th birthday. you have to be under the age of 31 as of june 16, 2012. you have to have resided in the u.s. since june 15, 2007. you have to be in school, have a diploma or ged or a veteran. you have to have no felonies or misdemeanor convictions and deemed not a threat to national security or public safety. if you look at who these folks are, median age is 25 years old. median age of arrival was 6 years old. 91.4% of them are employed and of those, 56% were not employed before daca, meaning they got jobs because of daca. >> so basically they're american
8:46 am
kids, right? like we see in romero. i get emotional. he's like, what do i do? like what did i do? i'm like, look, i'm an american citizen. why am i upset about this? i can't believe i'm getting emotional but it does impact these kids who represent the best, right? they represent the total best. >> democrats are eyeing the 2018 mid terms with renewed optimism after tuesday's elections gave them reason for hope for the first time in an entire year. raf ralph northam's victory gave them a big rise. they picked up 15 seats. and there are a number of historic firsts for women, people of color and transgender candidates, none of which means that it's time for democrats to pop the champaign cork yet because it remains to be seen if they continue to ride that wave right into 2018. >> i have always believed that the people of alabama had more
8:47 am
in common than divided. >> this week the state of alabama took a stand and dodged a bullet. rejecting republican roy moore, the trump endorsed accused child molester and the horse he rode in on. sorry, kathy. instead, a majority chose doug jones, the first democrat the state democrat in 25 years. he prosecuted kkk members who bombed that church in 1963 killing four black girls. the stunning epic victory for jones and his party was largely responding to sexual misconduct allegations against roy moore. make no mistake, the outcome was the latest example of the political power of black voters as well as the effectiveness of local activists who mobilized voting efforts and won. we here at "a.m. joy" could not bring you all of these stories without the wonderful
8:48 am
guests who join me on a weekly basis. here's a look at some of the members of the "a.m. joy" family. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
8:49 am
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ 4
8:50 am
. more of "a.m. joy's" year end show after the break.
8:51 am
8:52 am
8:53 am
every weekend you see my face here on "a.m. joy." but this show is not just me. it's made by countless
8:54 am
hard-working people who do their best to bring you these top stories. actually, they're not countless. i'm going to tell you exactly who they are right now. here we go and i apologize if i mispronounce a name or two. you know how i do. makeup and hair, danielle terry, gerryl scott, and david kent. graphics, eden strasburg, jerrod gonzalez, stephanie, kurt, wayne robinson, mia, and alex kirby. our video editors are alyssa donovan, larry, katie, chris, and kim. our technical production coordinator is a amanda. our stage crew the amazing richard clifford, megan clifford, no relation. alex, rodney duncan, and ronald. technical production manager, technical director ashley smith
8:55 am
and emily groh. graphics playback is lori. utilities, edith lambert and hal. stage manager joey applesauce. jason johnson, justin, and kareem. our prompter operators are anna and scott silverman. yes, i do mess up everything you put into the prompter. reginald campbell, karen daly and lisa. audio engineering gerald downer and michael. our director is the great murray adam from down under. our interns. our anchor producer is mahlik johnson. graphics producer ashley williams. associate producer rebecca sigh. video producer natalie.
8:56 am
our digital producer is alexis. segment producer, tracy curry and tracy tillman. booking producer is carly. senior booking producer michelle. couldn't do this job without them. line producer lorena ruiz. senior producers rachel slata and belinda walker. executive producer is james holm. and the host is me who just messed up half those names. our weekend executive producer, thanks to estreet miley and phil griffin. that's our show for the year. we have so much more coming at you in 2018, so i'll see you right here next saturday at 10:00 a.m. eastern. happy new year and thanks for watching. hey, man. oh!
8:57 am
8:58 am
nice man cave! nacho? [ train whistle blows ] what?! -stop it! -mm-hmm. we've been saving a lot of money ever since we switched to progressive.
8:59 am
this bar is legit. and now we get an even bigger discount from bundling home and auto. i can get used to this. it might take a minute. -swing and a miss! -slam dunk! touchdown! together: sports!
9:00 am
good to be with you and happy new year's eve. i've frances rivera in new york. alex witt is off today. it is high noon in the east. 9:00 a.m. out west. here's what's happening. reports of protesters killed after days of anti-government rallies in iran. new reaction from the white house coming up. tipping point -- fresh intrigue on what might have prompted the meddling investigation and a key trump adviser's role. did it begin in a london bar? >> russians clearly saw him as a way into the trump campaign. some of the

60 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on