Skip to main content

tv   The Beat With Ari Melber  MSNBC  November 1, 2018 3:00pm-4:00pm PDT

3:00 pm
nobody, i declare candy corn, this end up, john reese. now it's time for us to come together and heal as a nation and tackle the other great issues of our time. we can come together and agree like, is a hot dog a sandwich? which, of course, it is. obviously. meat between two pieces of bread? all right. that's all for tonight. more tomorrow with "mtp daily". the beat with ari melber. >> one candy corn item. i never knew i would do this. when i was growing up watching you report the news, watching you do the political segments, but i got to tag you today in a food tweet with a picture of the candy corn that i eat in november just like i eat in every other month, and i tag you, chuck todd, as a tribute, not picking a candy corn polarized fight. >> you're not atting me, like at me. >> i just tag you like, hey, buddy, look at me eating candy corn in november. >> you eat candy corn in november? you love it, don't you?
3:01 pm
>> i eat it every month, and people don't believe me. i've got to tell you, i got a lot of push back after our discussion at the top of the show. >> i bet you did. something to laugh about in these dark days. >> thank you. we are, of course, here on the beat five days out from the midterms. we have a lot throughout the hour tonight in the russia probe, new e-mails from "the new york times" that they got hold of that show for the first time, private messages between roger stone and steve bannon about wikileaks during the 2016 campaign. that's later. and donald trump's last-minute ugly messaging on immigration, we have a fact check and some of the backlash from fellow republicans. and later, pulitzer prize winning historian doris kearns goodwin and tony schwarz are on the beat tonight. i begin with a story about a power player who rarely gets involved in electoral politics with an exception today, signaling, at least in her view, the stakes right now. the billionaire media mogul oprah winfrey out campaigning in georgia for stacey abrams who is running to be the country's
3:02 pm
first african-american female governor. >> if you woke just a little bit, you got sense enough to know that everybody is not treated equally. [ cheers and applause ] this land was made for you and me. that's not just a song. that's the truth. and i will tell you, i will tell you that we are not powerless. ah beautiful. [ cheers and applause ] >> you get a vote. and you get a vote. and you get a vote. and you get a vote. >> and you get a vote >> all right, spread the word. >> and you get a vote, and you get a vote. a slightly more hopeful call and response than lock her up. oprah also was outgoing door to door surprising voters at their homes. >> hi. >> oh! oh, my god! >> hi, denise. >> hi, oprah.
3:03 pm
>> how are you? >> i'm wonderful, how are you. >> surprise, surprise. >> i am shocked. >> surprise. so, i'm canvassing for stacey abrams. >> yes, yes. >> are you voting for her? >> publishers clearinghouse civic edition. the last time oprah publicly campaigned for any candidate was a long time ago when barack obama was running for president for the first time. so that's the fight in georgia. big picture. also new signs that democrats are seeing the wind at their backs. a new washington post poll shows this edge here in 69 of the most competitive districts. 50% of likely voters leaning democratic. 46% backing the gop candidate. i begin tonight, our special coverage of these midterms with two people who know politics and have been closer to state democratic politics than just about anyone because they both run the democratic party. former pennsylvania governor ed rendell served as mayor of philadelphia as well, donna brazile whose new book is for colored girls who have considered politics.
3:04 pm
welcome to both of you. perfect guest for tonight. i will start with party chair number one, ed rendell. when you look at this kind of signalling, that there are real pieces of fundamental data that show the demes breaking out, and a lot of voters who say, huh, i think i heard that right before the 2016 election and it didn't work out. how do you make sense of that tonight? >> well, it's a different election. donald trump, no matter how much he wants to be on the ballot, isn't on the ballot. and those 69 -- i have 70 really hotly contested districts. democrats are going to win 15, republicans are going to -- pretty sure to take two of those back. so that will give us a 13-seat edge. and then out of the remaining 56 or so contested seats, we've got to win 10 to get control. anything over that is a margin. if we win 30 or so, that's a real tidal wave.
3:05 pm
i'm optimistic about it. i'm much more optimistic than i was shortly after the kavanaugh hearing. >> the kavanaugh hearing did affect enthusiasm on the democratic side. donna, take a listen to oprah, also from today. just fascinating to see her out there, like mentioned in the lead. we haven't seen that in over eight years. here she was talking a little about politics in 2020. >> i'm not here because i'm making some grandstand because i'm thinking about running myself. i don't want to run. okay? [ cheers and applause ] >> i'm not trying to test any waters. [ laughter ] don't want to go in those waters. i'm here today because of stacey abrams. [ cheers and applause ] >> what was going through your mind watching that very singular path-breaking black woman in american life, oprah, trying to be supportive here in the closing stretch, closing argument for another black woman who would be a historic first?
3:06 pm
>> well, first of all, as always, great to see you, ari. of course, my great leader ed rendell from the great state of pennsylvania. oprah winfrey transcends politics. she is a phenomenal woman. she's able to reach people at the heart level. i think her remarks today were very moving. it was more like a sermon, not a political stump speech. what she's there in georgia doing for stacey abrams is she's reminding voters in georgia of the things that we value in america. that stacey abrams is the leader that we need at such a time like this. so, i think she did a phenomenal job today, and hopefully people write down south florida, up in tennessee where we have an important senatorial race, and all throughout the country we'll hear oprah's message. >> don a we have so much breaking news these days. i don't know if you heard this while we were getting ready for our interview. there is talk about donald trump
3:07 pm
picking oprah as his running mate. he say she's always his first choice. have you heard about this? >> no, but i'm sure, knowing oprah, that's not the ticket she would be on. and besides, why would she play number two when she can be number one? >> let me show you what i mean. this was a story that first broke back in 1999 when donald trump, as always, would say whatever fit him in the moment. and we have a little bit of a comparison. take a look. >> do you have a vice-presidential candidate in mind? >> well, i really haven't gotten quite there yet. >> come on, it's just -- >> i love oprah. oprah would always be my first choice. >> i'd love oprah to run. i know her weakness. wouldn't we love to run against oprah? i would love it. i would love it. that would be a painful experience for her. >> donna? >> his name may be on towers and buildings, but her name, again, is in the hearts of so many americans who love her. she's a beloved figure in american politics.
3:08 pm
she's a beloved figure in the media. oprah is a woman who has not only been a compassionate leader, but she's someone who can bring us together. she's a healer. and while she may not stir in the political waters, i do believe she provides so much value in our country as not just a media barroness, but someone who has heart. >> i want you both to stay with me. two democratic chairs. i want to bring into the conversation a republican who may have thoughts about trump's last-minute push on immigration, falsely claiming democrats would give undocumented immigrants the right to vote. >> once they arrive, the democrat party's vision is to offer them free health care, free welfare, free education, and even the right to vote. you and the hard working taxpayers of our country will be
3:09 pm
asked to pick up the entire tab. >> i want to bring in michael steele, former senior advisor to jeb bush and a former aide to house speaker boehner, who joins our democratic party chairs. thanks to everyone now. let me start there with you, michael. is it a sign of weakness that donald trump's closing argument is so reliant on blatant lies that i don't think you or boehner, certainly not jeb bush, would agree with? >> well, donald trump's appeal has always rested in large part on falsehoods that he tells. i c i think what you're seeing right now is a fired up democratic party, a base motivated by their hatred of the president, desired to check his power, and an attempt by the president, by any means necessary, to fire up the republican base, to anger and alarm them to get them to their polling places to counter the energy on the democratic side. and i think he may in some measures be successful in that regard. we usually see either a kind of status quo midterm, or a midterm
3:10 pm
where all the energy, all the passion is on one side. right now we're looking at both bases in both parties fired up and ready to go. >> ed? >> my response to that is i think donald trump is underestimating the intelligence of even his base. i think some of these things are so blatantly absurd that i think people are beginning to shake their heads. so i don't think it will work. it shows that they know they're in trouble. i think the odds, as i lay them out for them holding the house, are pretty extreme. and he's i think working on a strategy to hold the senate because that's all he can do. if you notice the places he's going, ari, there are very few contested congressional elections in those states. it's mostly senate elections or gubernatorial elections. >> does that point which governor rendell makes, michael, speak to the fact donald trump plays a character who acts almost out of control when, in fact, he's clearly taking very
3:11 pm
strict guidelines from the republican strategists who say, stay away from most of the key swing purple districts because you don't help? >> right. this is a tale of two midterms. you have democratic senators trying to run in bright red states where the president is extremely popular. that's why he's focusing on those states. that's why his travel is focused there. in the house you have a republican majority that's dependent on suburbs. suburban areas with lots of college educated women who don't like the president very much, but may like their member of congress a great deal. we've got a lot of districts like carlos curbelo in florida, in california where the republican candidate is running considerably ahead of donald trump because he or she has his own connection, his own identity with his constituents in that specific district. >> so, let's go, then, to the actual voters, donna. you've run these kind of turnout campaigns, and early voting has become a much more significant piece of it. look here, half a million or so early ballots. one-third of the total came from
3:12 pm
voters who didn't vote in the 2014 midterms. that subcategory includes a spike in minority votes. what do you think the early vote tells us in georgia, donna? >> it tells us that people are enthusiastic. they like the candidate on the ballot. that they have been contacted by the party, and that they are prepared to vote. look, five days is a long time and governor rendell can tell you this because he trained me as well. we've got to continue to knock on doors. we have states that do not have early vote, and i learned that in pennsylvania. you've got to still knock on doors. you've got to still put the street teams out there to flood the neighborhoods with radio and advertisements so that they understand how important election day is. we still need to let people know what's on the balance -- ballot. and make sure they vote on election day itself.
3:13 pm
>> michael, do you think oprah will help in georgia? >> it's a heart warming scene. the math running statewide in georgia is very hard and i don't know if oprah can get their candidate over the top there. >> former governors and state party chair, donna brazile and former boehner aide michael steele. interesting conversation from both parties. "press:here" you kicking our coverage five days out. coming up. steve bannon and roger stone about key issues in wikileaks. i'll tell you what they mean. donald trump's new willie horton style ad attacking immigrants and what is not in it. i should seri veelg statement from fox news saying the press should only report news the way trump wants it reported. >> saying if you don't want to be called the enemy, then get the story right. be accurate and report the story the way that i want it reported. >> tony schwartz here to talk about that, trump's mind-set in the closing days. i'm ari melber and you're watching the beat on msnbc.
3:14 pm
always a catch. like somehow you wind up getting less. but now that i book at hilton.com, and i get all these great perks. i got to select my room from the floor plan... very nice... i know, i'm good at picking stuff. free wi-fi... laptop by the pool is a bold choice... and the price match guarantee. how do you know all of this? are you like some magical hilton fairy? it's just here on the hilton app. just available to the public, so... book at hilton.com and get the hilton price match guarantee. if you find a lower rate, we match it and give you 25% off that stay. ♪ like a big pizza pie, ♪ that's amore. ♪ when the world seems... ♪ applebee's new neighborhood pastas. now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood.
3:15 pm
(woman) we'd been counting down it was our tresiba® reason. neighborhood pastas. he needs insulin to control his high blood sugar and, at his age, he's at greater risk for lows. tresiba® releases slow and steady and works all day and night like the body's insulin. (vo) tresiba® is a long-acting insulin used to control high blood sugar in adults with diabetes. don't use tresiba® to treat diabetic ketoacidosis, during episodes of low blood sugar, or if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. don't share needles or insulin pens. don't reuse needles. the most common side effect is low blood sugar, which may cause dizziness, sweating, confusion, and headache.
3:16 pm
check your blood sugar. low blood sugar can be serious and may be life-threatening. injection site reactions may occur. tell your prescriber about all medicines you take and all your medical conditions. taking tzds with insulins like tresiba® may cause serious side effects like heart failure. your insulin dose shouldn't be changed without asking your prescriber. get medical help right away if you have trouble breathing, fast heartbeat, extreme drowsiness, swelling of your face, tongue or throat, dizziness or confusion. (woman) we found our tresiba® reason. find yours. (vo) ask your diabetes care specialist about tresiba®.
3:17 pm
break being news tonight in bob mueller's collusion investigation. there are brand-newly revealed e-mails that show how roger stone sold himself not just to the trump campaign in general, but to the trump campaign chair steve bannon touting himself as a source of secret information on wikileaks. these are new e-mails. they were obtained by "the new york times" and they come amid reports mueller has a trove of information about stone's links to assange and possible advance
3:18 pm
knowledge of the criminally hacked ee mails that would come out before the election. after stone tweeted about assange in october of 2016, there was a reporter from breitbart that e-mailed him. assange, what's he got? hope, it's good. i'd tell bannon, but he doesn't call me back. breitbart reporter forwarded those e-mails to bannon who used to run breitbart. initially he seemed to brush them off. then the next day assange held a press conference promising weekly clinton document dumps. >> we hope to be publishing every week for the next ten weeks. we have on schedule -- and it's a very hard schedule -- all the u.s. election-related documents to come out before november 8. >> u.s. election documents before the election. then, according to these brand-new released e-mails tonight, bannon reaches out to stone to ask about it. quote, what was that this morning? stone replying, a load, every
3:19 pm
week going forward. there's no evidence that stone gave bannon information that assange hadn't revealed himself from these e-mails, but this is a sign that stone was at least touting privately to the people running the trump campaign that he knew exactly where wikileaks was headed. mueller knows all of this. the times reporting bannon and trump officials, how stone presented himself as a, quote, conduit of inside information from wikileaks. stone firing back. i want to give you his side of the story. he said this is all about the interest treachery of steve bannon who was a hatchet man, using a hatchet man, viewers may know of him, who is leaking this e-mail exchange, according to stone. and saying the only thing he's guilty of, quote, punking democrats on twitter and that is not illegal, according to stone. let's get to someone in the middle of it, congressman who serves on the judiciary committee. thanks for coming on 0 tonight.
3:20 pm
>> my pleasure. good to be with you. >> let's start with something people, viewers always want to know, why five days out from the midterms are these e-mails coming out? are they coming from the bannons of the world? >> look, i don't think we know where they're coming from, but it's just the most recent example of a member of the president's inner circle lying about their actions during the course of the campaign. roger stone said just a couple of days ago he had no communications with the trump campaign about wikileaks. we now know that's a lie. that he was e-mailing steve bannon directly about those, and then three days later, of course, the first stolen e-mails are released. so, i think it's just more evidence as to why we have to protect robert mueller's investigation, be sure he is allowed to complete his work, and take us to wherever the facts lead us. and we have a number of bills pending in congress to protect mr. mueller and prevent political interference or prevent his firing.
3:21 pm
our republican colleagues won't move forward on any of them, but i think this underscores the importance of this investigation continuing to its conclusion, and then filing a report with congress so we can take whatever action is appropriate. >> it appears that mueller has some very key people, not just those who flipped like paul manafort, but also those like don mcgahn, the departed white house lawyer, and steve bannon who i just mentioned, who are providing all kinds of information. i want to play for you what steve bannon admit today me under questioning, which is that if donald trump was in the loop about the trump tower meeting, that would be very concerning because he saw it as treasonous-style behavior. take a look. >> what about it made it treasonous in your view? >> professionally paul manafort, i don't think ought to ever have -- you know, people from other countries, russians or whatever, come in and try to get opposition research. >> if a candidate knows about that in advance, are they part of treasonous behavior by your standard? >> i think you have to call into
3:22 pm
question, if somebody is actually out there trying to get information from foreign parties. you have to question that, yeah. >> if mueller could prove that about donald trump t would concern you? >> it would concern me, yes. the president was adamant that he didn't know about it and hasn't known about it. >> what does it tell you that people like steve bannon in public presumably in private are taking that hard line that basically says if the evidence against trump is bad, then the chips fall where they may? >> i mean, it's hard to know, but it's hard to imagine that the president didn't know about -- i think that mr. mueller has to review to understand exactly what the trump campaign did, what the president knew. and you're right, there are a lot of witnesses now that are sharing information with him. may be concerned about their own culpability and their own criminal liability. but i think we all have to have confidence that mr. mull early and his team are going to get to the bottom of this.
3:23 pm
so long as they are allowed to continue this investigation, and it's free from political interference, the president has tried in every way to undermine it and to try to prevent it from continuing, and we have to all be very concerned what he'll do after the midterms. >> while i have you, you're on the judiciary committee. without getting into the things you can't discuss, how do you and your colleagues view this very bizarre story about a conspiracy they are i, perhaps sloppily done to try to potentially frame bob mueller? >> well, i think it's just an example of how desperate the republicans are getting and how afraid the administration is about what mr. mueller is going to find. i mean, here is a man who served his country, who is recognized by republicans and democrats alike when he was appointed as a person beyond reproach, of extraordinary integrity who is doing a professional job. and they are actually trying to smear him with a made-up story and trying to pay a woman to do it. i mean it's outrageous, and i'm surprised we're not hearing more from the republican colleagues condemning this effort and speaking out on behalf of mr. mueller. i think it is an example of how
3:24 pm
fearful they are about what this investigation will find. >> you make a great final point there, which is whatever the underlying facts. it's not hard to say, obviously, any attempt to do any misinformation or framing of a prosecutor in this instance is wrong, and we've heard crickets from that side. david, congressman on the judiciary committee, thank you so much for joining us tonight. >> my pleasure. >> in 30 seconds we return with great gefrpuests and an importa fact check on trump's closing argument.
3:25 pm
we're in the midterms homestretch, and tonight both parties hitting their closing arguments. oprah preaching love and optimism at a georgia rally for democrats. trump releasing a video that stokes fears and crime. they are decrying as blatantly, quote, racist. before we go into this racial controversy, and we will, first in facts. the trump video focuses on a criminal case that looks bad for republicans. it features an immigrant convicted of murder who got into the country illegally while president bush was in office. he previously had been deported during the clinton administration. this new video lies about that history and instead blames democrats wrongly for allegedly, quote, letting him in. so far the gop is not paying any money to actually run this as a quote-unquote advertisement to reach voters. in fact, it's formatted as a 353-second video. it doesn't work as a tv aid. today some political reporters fell into trump's trap. they referred to this as a,
3:26 pm
quote, advertisement. it's not. now, we're not going to air the whole thing tonight, but here is a brief part that will give you the gist. >> [ bleep ] >> the footage taps into trump's scare tactic from the very first day he announced his run for office. immigrant crime. we should note as well studies show the general u.s. population in places with fewer undocumented immigrants tend to have higher crime rates than places where there are more undocumented immigrants. if you're interested in the facts about criminology. i want to get into this discussion with al cardenas, former senior advisor to jeb bush, he also served as chairman of florida's republican party for two terms and was the chairman of the american conservative union and delegate to the republican national convention for more than 30
3:27 pm
years. sir, your republican credentials are clearly in good order. thanks for joining me tonight. >> my pleasure, ari. good to be with you. >> good to be with you. your view of what this advertisement that is actually a video, what this video says? >> well, the republicans tried, frankly, a less insulting version in the 1990s in california, and look where california is today. we were -- we had a republican governor. we had a healthy party in california. and now, of course, it's democrat domain. i'm assuming that the results of this video, the results of this kind of effort are going to result in long-term damage to my party, a shrinking of our tent, and divisiveness in america. it's just very sad for me as a hispanic republican to see this done. but more importantly, it's worrisome for me as an american
3:28 pm
to see this segregation in america, this appeal to our lower instincts in hopes to win an election. >> do you think the video is hateful? >> i do. i do. i think it's divisive. i think it misconstrues the facts. this fellow committed a heinous crime. he was punished for it, thankfully, and paid his price for having committed a crime. look, crime statistics are openly available. hispanics are the least responsible for crime in america. but that's not what it seems like. and we've had few weeks of this, ari, it's been piling up. 1500 families forcefully separated. still 500 some children don't know where their parents are, vice versa. the idea about reversing the birth rights of people aimed in this country, aimed primarily at hispanics, this statement by the president, he's going to send 15,000 troops to the border to deal with unarmed people, women,
3:29 pm
children? come on, last time there was a caravan, we had a total of 14 arrests. that happened in miami beach on a friday night over a period of one hour. >> for viewers again to understand, you chaired the american conservative union. i think it's fair to say that's the right side, the right wing, if you want to use that term, and i don't mean it pejoratively. the right side of the republican party is bigger than trump because so many people you've worked with over the years aren't standing up today to this video. >> exactly. i hope they will. listen, it's a concerted union. we are bill buckley, william buckley's successors. and this was all about we stand for reducing the national debt. we stand for a balanced budget. we stand for things that are good for america, not dividing america or appealing to our lower instincts. and if you look at a lot of the ronald reagan videos, they were uniting the country. he was a true conservative.
3:30 pm
but the words ronald reagan don't come out of this president's lips, obviously. it's a bad time -- >> stay with me. i want to go back to you. i wanted to hear you first. you're so central to this. stay with me. i want to add to our conversation two historical scholars. presidential historian doris kearns goodwin. i want to mention her book. leadership in turbulent times. it looks at four different iconic president ands how they led. let's start there, doris. you hear al say this is donald trump and a lot of other people going along with it, turning not only on american values, but what he considers conservative values. >> what one have hoped about uniting the country as a whole instead of dividing it. president trump had a chance for that. we talk about october surprises, events that occur that change the course of a campaign. two events occurred.
3:31 pm
the bombing plot, and the attack on the jewish synagogue. what if he stood up as an american president and said it has to stop, this toxic culture. we all bear responsibility. i want us to really be united. and instead, he moved in the other direction. he said at one point, i keep getting this in my head. he said, you know, we had momentum, and then this bombing stuff happened. and we have to regain the momentum. and now closing with an ad that is clearly divisive intended to stoke fear. the best moments in history are remembered by presidents who bring us together. lincoln's second inaugural, a moment of triumph, does he suggest triumph? no, he said both sides pray to the same god. neither's prayers could be answered. lbj going to the voting rights. this is not just a southern problem. it's a northern problem. it's not a white problem, it's a black problem. it's an american problem. >> you just hit two words that have been forever changed in the modern political lexicon. if i understand you right, and i'm ready to learn more from you if i don't.
3:32 pm
you're saying lincoln referred to both sides for the notion of common humanity even in a country ripped apart by civil war. whereas donald trump use it had to create a false equivalency to give aid and comfort to people aiding white supremacy. >> there was an ad that was somewhat similar to this ad, the willie horton ad against dukakis that stoked tensions then, it's a stain to president bush, one of the most infamous ads. is president bush going to want to be remembered that wray? talking about him. the same with president trump. to use this ad as his closing argument, you want him to be president of all the people, not just stoking the fears of the base. i keep hoping and hoping that moment will occur and so far it h hasn't. >> leah, there is a political side, once you put aside the ethical condemnation you put aside with you heard from the two experts, there is a set of weakness here. the actual money they are spending on midterm ad, $6
3:33 pm
million, doesn't mention trump at all, and this video which is kind of a head faking troll, also apart from the other problems documented just now, doesn't really mention donald trump. i can point out here some reporting on that. mr. trump, it says, according to "the new york times" report, so unpopular with the group of campaign voters need, he focuses on messaging that he isn't in them. >> this is not what voters want to hear. we're seeing there are a couple -- there are a couple of tight races where people have asked donald trump to stay away because they think that it may actually hurt them. you know, the politics of fear may do well in rallying certain bases and pulling people out. but it doesn't do well, you know, when people care about things like health care or care about, you know, the wages in their pocket, or care about, you know, unity in the face of a crisis in the country. you know, i've got to say, ari,
3:34 pm
i think beyonce said it best, you know. who runs the world? girls. and that's what the country wants to hear right now. they want to hear from women. they want to hear messages like the one oprah winfrey delivered in georgia. they want to hear from people like stacy adams interested in expanding the rights for democracy for all people in the united states. they don't want to hear about politics, fear, division. that seems to be trump's closing argument, which really isn't great. >> you mentioned beyonce and oprah. we have some oprah sound. i don't have beyonce ready. i didn't know you were going to go there, leah. we try to be prepared. >> you have to go there. i mean, come on. >> al, take a listen to respond to what leah said and look a little bit more of this unusual scene today, oprah on the campaign trail. >> this land was made for you and me. [ cheers and applause ] this land was made for you and me.
3:35 pm
that's not just a song. that's the truth. >> al? >> well, you can't argue with that. listen, the true value of this conversation is the fact that president trump is named in far more political ads paid by the democrats than by the republicans. and the reason is very simple. you have 60 close races in the house and republicans are running in very centrist purple districts. and this kind of rhetoric hurts him badly in the house. it's selfish. it's divisive. it's self-centered. it's not what's good for the republican party. in the senate, i see a similar criteria. you know, the only argument republicans have to win this election is the fact that the economy is doing well and people are employed. not immigrants at the border. not taking away birthrights. not doing the kind of divisive rhetoric that frankly is
3:36 pm
counterproductive to a successful election day. >> i hope he's right. you know, you never know. there's a reason why they did this ad, there's a reason why they did this tweet. maybe they think it appeals to people -- i saw one supporter of the ad saying it will appeal to women worried about their family's security. but i think the interesting thing is adelaide stevenson, my old friend adelaide steefrm enson said challenge is not how to win, but it's how to win without proving you're unworthy of winning. you don't want your campaign doing something years later people will say, why was that done? al is right. there is the economy. people are feeling good about the economy. maybe there's a lot of citizens who feel that it was good to have the tax cut. some people might feel it was good to have the corporate tax cut and they should be appealing to that group of people. but instead, somehow there is a feeling the economy is not going to do it for people in a midterm election. the other side of it is we are also citizens besides getting special interests from what's happened in the republican party. and i think a lot of people who
3:37 pm
are republicans just looking at al right now are feeling that that sense of being a citizen trumps, if i may say that, the sense of what you're getting right now from the republican party. and my suspicion is a lot of those people are going to feel, is this the kind of america we want, this divisiveness, toxic culture, the sense of everybody being highly partisan than ever before? these negative ads increase that partisanship. if you say something so terrible about the other side, you say they're evil, racist, either way, how are you going to be friends when you sit around the snoot? it's that perpetual campaigning keeping up our highly partisanship nature. we have to stop. >> we have to zop. fear can trump reason, although the emphasis on the prospect of potential crimes thousands of miles away, as you put it, after a two-week period where the president has tried to change the subject from the actual crimes because they didn't fit with his, quote-unquote, political ideology, is just a striking and to many people a sickening contrast. >> he's creating an event.
3:38 pm
it's not a real event, the caravan. the birther thing he talked up is unconstitutional. so to this ad, somebody pointing out did something awhile ago, it was over a period of time. it's as if he needs to create event to go ahead of the real events which took place which he could have responded to in a much better way. >> right. doris kearns goodwin, al cardenas, leah, thanks to each of you for a responsible way to deal with some of this stuff today. coming up after we fit in a break, the coauthor of making the deal, tony schwartz live on the beat next. hey there people eligible for medicare. gimme one minute... and i'll tell you some important things to know about medicare.
3:39 pm
first, it doesn't pay for everything. say this pizza is your part b medical expenses. this much - about 80% - medicare will pay for. what's left, you have to pay for that. that's where an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company comes in. this type of plan helps pay some of what medicare doesn't. and these are the only plans to carry the aarp endorsement for meeting their high standards of quality and service. to request your free decision guide call now or go online at aarpmedicaresupplement.com. with this type of plan, you'll have the freedom to choose any doctor who accepts medicare patients. and when you travel, your plan will go with you - anywhere in the country. whew! call or go online and find out more. before discovering nexium 24hr to treat her frequent heartburn, claire could only imagine enjoying chocolate cake. now she can have her cake and eat it too.
3:40 pm
nexium 24hr stops acid before it starts for all-day, all-night protection. can you imagine 24 hours without heartburn? first, it continues to pay paramedics while we're on break. second, it ensures the closest ambulance can respond if you call 9-1-1. vote yes on 11.
3:41 pm
proposition 11 "proposition 11 is a vote to protect patient safety." it ensures the closest ambulance remains on-call during paid breaks "so that they can respond immediately when needed." vote yes on 11. a theme that's been running through these midterms for days is the idea that democrats can run as a check on trump. they promise congressional oversight, investigation, subpoena power. my next guest tony schwartz, coauthor of art of the deal said
3:42 pm
there is another side of this coin. predicting if democrats fail to win back the house or the senate, trump will actually feel more emboldened and as a result move to expand his power, doubling down on the attacks on obamacare, climate change, quashing any investigations that are still going, including of course, the big question about bob mueller. if the opposition party is cleared out for the entire first term, there could be an increasingly dangerous sympathetic right wing media machine. >> how frustrating would it be if you're the president of the united states and every single time you turn on the tv on most of the channels, they're misconstruing what you say? it has to be frustrating. that's why he's saying it's fake news. that's why he says if you don't want to be called the enemy, report the story the way i want it reported. >> tony is also the author of the way we work isn't working. tony, if republicans do hold the house, you say trump could actually get even worse than this.
3:43 pm
>> i think unequivocally he will get worse. i don't believe that's going to happen, but i sat at 7:00 in hillary clinton's victory party on election night and still thought that wouldn't happen. so i'm holding my, i'm holding my certainty. i don't think it's going to happen. but if it does happen, he for sure will be emboldened to move more in the ought karautocraticn that is his instinct. >> his intinstinct is fundamenty more reactive. he's wildly running around doing things. you're saying that actually there is a trump 1.0 the first two years, and he might be worried about losing, which as we've just been covering, the evidence where they're putting him. but if they hold the house, he'll say what to himself? >> well, you know what he'll do. he'll blame it on mitch mcconnell and paul ryan. he'll say it wasn't about him. he'll lie about what actually happened. he'll do all the things that trump usually does. that actually isn't going to
3:44 pm
serve him very well if that happens because there's no question that we're going to have a very different climate in this country if he loses. but, you know, i think underneath all this -- i spent the day at a conflens full of uber capitalists run by "the new york times," the conference was run by "the new york times". the last person i listened to was peter thiel who is a very right wing supporter of trump in silicon valley. >> facebook. >> facebook investor, on the board. it donned on me, what's going on is failure of capitalism, failure of the free market. i've said this before to you. any strength over used becomes a liability. think about what capitalism is. it's all about accruing as much as you possibly can for yourself. it's survival of the fittest. the very core of capitalism is more, bigger, faster is always better. what we've got is a run away
3:45 pm
train. so, we've got eight people who control as much wealth as the bottom 50%, the poorest 50% of the world. i mean, how could that not be creating fierce resentment? we understand that resentment, but i also think what it's created is an emptiness in the souls of the people to whom the money has accrued. >> and doesn't that also touch on a point that has become so difficult to even say out loud? because when you talk about economic anxiety in trump voters, many people hear that as a cover for the uglier things that have animated part of that movement. so, certainly some of it is not economic, and yet when you look at a 2016 where bernie sanders and donald trump went as far as they went with totally different versions and different records, but both seemed to tap into the idea that a lot of people in this country were hopping mad at both parties, lead irship, traditional clinton wing of the party for selling out to the bankers that apparently you got
3:46 pm
to spend some time with today. >> yes. what they're angry about is that the system has stopped working. it worked and it's not working for them. and what's happened now, as trump begins to throw anything he can at the wall in a feeling of desperation -- because he is one scared son of a gun about this potential loss. he does understand the implications of it, and he's frightened by it. so, the reason he's doing these outrageous things, the reason he's sending 15,000 troops down to a location where there's no enemy is because he wants to do anything he can to deflect attention to raise the anger of his base. and what he realizes is that this could turn very, very dark for him. >> and so -- and he needs those kind of conflicts. the real conflicts that he had, he should have had his hands full last week protecting the
3:47 pm
country from real threats, instead he was minimizing them. he puts bomb in quotes while talking up a caravan that's far away. >> think about this when we talk about trump. think about the fact that he is the 1/10 of 1%. a guy whoa inherited $400 million, and yet his presidency is a continuing expression of this feeling of emptiness inside, that he needs to fill from outside. he wants the love, he wants to do the self-dealing, so he adds more money. and it isn't working. it doesn't work. that's why i started by saying that capitalism has begun to run its course. it doesn't deliver the goods. not even to the recipients of its spoils. >> that is why the old saying goes, people are like candy bars. it's all about what's inside. >> it's all about what's inside. >> it's not a real saying, though. >> i know. but it's true nonetheless. >> there you go. as part of our state of mind series, tony schwartz, we always appreciate you coming by.
3:48 pm
i'm going to fit in a break and show you some of your own reactions, viewers of the beat, to something we did a little different last night. eight of the record breaking 257 women candidates on the show, and more oprah ahead. homecoming is a safe space for you to reflect on your service and think about what comes next. i can't wait to hear your stories. and talk to you about where you see yourself
3:49 pm
in the years to come. does anyone have any questions i can answer? ♪
3:50 pm
3:51 pm
3:52 pm
no matter what happens on tuesday, history is being made. so last night on "the beat," we tried to do something a little different, inviting eight first-time women candidates from both parties on the show, it was unusual and a lot of you who watched responded and we want to
3:53 pm
share some of that. sanola daley from washington writing, she's proud we highlighted these candidates. jordan millam from atlanta said, this made them feel grateful. a lot of the women we interviewed also have the potential to set records. >> there's never been a native american woman in congress. >> there has never been a woman of color elected into congress in pennsylvania. and in addition to that, there's actually never been a korean-american female elected into congress in the history of the united states of america. >> connecticut, as well, has never sent an african-american woman to congress. >> i look forward to being the first out member of congress from texas. >> there are no women doctors currently in congress. and there's actually never been a democratic woman doctor who was a full voting member in the house of representatives. look, i think congress needs a doctor in the house. >> no women doctors in kocongre and yet, congress makes a lot of rules for women and for doctors. we also talked about this democratic donor gap. 185,000 more dollars on average
3:54 pm
going to men than women and how do you overcome those obstacles? >> i am proud to say that i've actually out-raised the -- my male incumbent this cycle. and i've raised $500,000, which as a public schoolteacher is 15 years of salary. >> i think campaign finance reform is a women's issue. i think it's an issue about representation. >> and i walked a picket line for two months to fight for fair pay for women. >> and i was told, you'll never be seen as viable, because you can't raise the money that it takes. i'm proud to say that in both the primary and the general, i've raised more than any of the candidates on either side. >> those are just some of the choices in both parties on tuesday that look a little different than history. and as we're reporting this out, i can tell you just this hour, the non-prann cook political report has upped its prediction for democrats getting 30 to 40 seats in the house. so a lot going on. we, again, want to say thank you to all of the eight candidate who is joined us on "the beat" and everyone who watched and
3:55 pm
wrote in. and up ahead, a special announcement that includes air horns. ed year storm should happen every five hundred years, right? fact is, there have been twenty-six in the last decade. allstate is adapting. with drones to assess home damage sooner. and if a flying object damages your car, you can snap a photo and get your claim processed in hours, not days. plus, allstate can pay your claim in minutes. now that you know the truth... are you in good hands? you might or joints.hing for your heart... but do you take something for your brain. with an ingredient originally discovered in jellyfish, prevagen has been shown in clinical trials to improve short-term memory. prevagen. healthier brain. better life. their medicare options... before they're on medicare. come on in. you're turning 65 soon? yep. and you're retiring at 67? that's the plan!
3:56 pm
well, you've come to the right place. it's also a great time to learn about an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. here's why... medicare part b doesn't pay for everything. only about 80% of your medical costs. this part is up to you... yeah, everyone's a little surprised to learn that one. a medicare supplement plan helps pay for some of what medicare doesn't. that could help cut down on those out-of-your-pocket medical costs. call unitedhealthcare insurance company now or visit aarpmedicaresupplement.com for your free decision guide about the only medicare supplement plans endorsed by aarp. selected for meeting their high standards of quality and service. this type of plan lets you say "yes" to any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients. there are no networks or referrals to worry about. do you accept medicare patients? i sure do!
3:57 pm
see? you're able to stick with him. like to travel? this kind of plan goes with you anywhere you travel in the country. so go ahead, spend winter somewhere warm. if you're turning 65 soon or over 65 and planning to retire, find out more about the plans that live up to their name. thumbs up to that! remember, the time to prepare is before you go on medicare! don't wait. get started today. to learn more about the range of aarp medicare supplement plans and their rates, call or go online today to request your free decision guide. oh, and happy birthday... or retirement... in advance.
3:58 pm
your free decision guide. if you have moderate to thsevere rheumatoid arthritis, month after month, the clock is ticking on irreversible joint damage. ongoing pain and stiffness are signs of joint erosion. humira can help stop the clock. prescribed for 15 years, humira targets and blocks a source of inflammation that contributes to joint pain and irreversible damage. humira can lower your ability to fight infections. serious and sometimes fatal infections including tuberculosis, and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. help stop the clock on further irreversible joint damage. talk to your rheumatologist. right here. right now.
3:59 pm
humira. one more thing before we go. a special heads up for a very special fallback friday tomorrow. cue the air horns! desus and mero are doing a takeover of our fallback friday. here's one from one of our viewers. joseph fleurival says, i'm
4:00 pm
guessing it should be the track on until november. thank you, joseph, for sending that in. you can find us on facebook, twitter, and instagram and you can always give us your fallback nominations there. "hardball with chris matthews" is up next. so how do you say "willie horton" in spanish? let's play "hardball." good evening. i'm chris matthews in washington. stoking fear, anger, and anxiety, president trump is going to new extremes to rile up white voters in red state, america. with just five days until the midterm elections, he's dead set on ending this campaign dirty. in a stark move to exploit fear, president trump yesterday tweeted an online ad, appealing

59 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on