Skip to main content

tv   MSNBC Live With Katy Tur  MSNBC  July 25, 2019 11:00am-12:00pm PDT

11:00 am
impeach or move on. mueller's testimony provided no smoking gun that might have tipped the scales towards impeachment and steven cohen, a longtime supporter of impeachment argues that mueller gave democrats everything they needed. >> were you happy with mr. mueller's testimony today. >> i was pleased with mr. mueller's testimony. it's clear what trump and barr said about total exoneration is not true. >> but house intelligence chair adam schiff made the case today that having the grounds for impeachment doesn't necessarily mean impeachment is inevitable. >> you just went through the elements. and the facts that we know that proved what you said was, you know, the perfect case for collusion. so, if we've got those facts, if we've got that information, how do you justify to the american people, not following up with an impeachment inquiry? >> well, the constitution provides impeachment as a
11:01 am
remedy. it doesn't compel congress to act and impeach whenever there are grounds for impeachment. >> well, that leads to us the ultimate arbiter on the impeachment question, nancy pelosi. the house speaker has been kicking the can down the impeachment road since democrats took the house, arguing for patience. and the issue is risky. and divisive even within her own caucus. only one additional democrat, lori trahan of massachusetts got behind impeachment after mueller's testimony. here's pelosi with her own savannah guthrie i get before she reclaimed the speaker's gavel. >> you said, it would be sad and divisive for the country to pursue impeachment. are you willing to rule it out? >> well, we have to wait and see what happens with the robert mueller report. >> and just again last night, pelosi again passed, this time
11:02 am
citing ongoing investigations and court fights with the president. >> madam speaker, what you saw today, did it change whether or not you think the house of representatives should launch impeachment proceedings? >> my position has always been, whatever decision we make in that regard will have to be done with our strongest possible hand, and we still have some outstanding matters in the courts. >> and behind closed doors, pelosi reportedly rebuked chairman nadler who wanted to move forward with impeachment, arguably as the calendar nears the start of the 2020 primary, the window for impeachment proceedings is rapidly closing. so today's big question is, has the 2020 election become the new impeachment? joining me associated press analyst jonathan la mere. betsy woodruff. former maryland and. william contributing columnist
11:03 am
donna edwards and ben willis. donna, has speaker pelosi run out the clock? >> well, i think unfortunately, the clock is tick. yesterday, with robert mueller, it wasn't pretty, it was sometimes confusing, but he laid out all of the elements for obstruction of justice. he laid out the case for russian interference in the election. and he laid out a clear case against president trump for committing behavior, if he had done it and he didn't have the cloak of the presidency, he'd find himself indicted and possibly in jail. if democrats want to go the second pathway which is try to beat him at the polls in 2020 and that fails, they will have absolutely no leverage on this president who will continue to operate as a lawless president. having committed these crimes. >> and yet, to your point, ben, chuck todd got a lot of traction
11:04 am
when he said democrats got what they wanted on substance. but the optics were a disaster. in terms of impeachment, was it always about the opt iics anywa? what was mueller going to say that changed the facts from in the report? i wonder what your take is on the impeachment. >> yeah, first of all, anybody who ever expected bob mueller to produce a charismatic exciting optically interesting hearing doesn't know bob mueller. this is a person who is not charismatic. who made it perfect clear that he didn't want to be there. and who is, you know, and going to basically said that he was not going to go beyond the four corners of his report. that he was going to answer questions, very minimally, if at
11:05 am
all. and did exactly what he said he was going to do. if people were expecting him to come in there and lay out the story for everybody in a fashion that would turn a lot of heads, they were clearly misupping the man. but also misjudging not listening to him when he said very plainly what he was going to do. >> and not do, right? >> and not do. >> he said he was not going to go beyond the parameters of the report. so, ben, do you think that speaker pelosi is correct when she says, look, there's ongoing probes out there? what is out there and how much faith should democrats put in those? >> look, if democrats want to impeach donald trump the record is there for them to do it. if they don't want to impeach donald trump, eventually, they have to answer the question, why is this conduct not bad enough. and if it is bad enough, why
11:06 am
aren't you acting on the basis of the record that exists? instead of that, nancy pelosi wants to pick a third alternative, which i'm not saying it's indefensible. her alternative is let's push the record forward, pretend we don't have enough information on which to make decisions. and there a andthereby, keep our options open until the fall and if donald trump does something outrageous or even more outrageous than he usually does or if the political tides turn more decisively in favor of impeachment, you have the option. and if not, you can kind of let it atrophy in the electoral campaign. >> so "the washington post" essentially argues that 2020 is the new impeachment. i'm going to quote from his column today. if democrat s hope to end the trump presidency, they'll have to do so by defeating him at the
11:07 am
ballot box in november 2020. jonathan la mere, is that good enough for the democratic basy. >> for some part of the base it might be. speaker pelosi remains in a tricky position. yesterday, i don't think moved the ball. if mueller had delivered a sort of home run performance like a galvanizing moment and moved the forces towards impeachment, there's one additional congress member that said she would be in favor of it. with respect to nadler employing nancy pelosi behind closed doors yesterday evening, she's putting the breaks on this. she wants to go along with this in a strong moral case can be made about impeachment. she's looking at politics here. she's looking at it perhaps impeachment without removal because the senate is not going to remove donald trump make him look more popular but she's looking ahead for what's best for her party in the next 18 or so months. i think there's a sense that she's always believed they will continue their investigations.
11:08 am
there are funds to pursue. their focus should be if you want trump out you have to beat him at the ballot box next november. >> betsy, the other thing don ball argues, that democrats have fumbled their efforts to hold trump and his administration accountable. if they indeed did fumble for now and that the accounting is going to come in 2020, have they potentially helped the re-election equation for the president in any appreciable way to listen to him yesterday and listen to members of his staff, they certainly were acting like he did? >> i think it's a little premature to suggest that anything that we're aware of at this point is going to have an impact in 2020. but what we can say with a high degree of confidence thus far, none of the democrat congressional committees have been able to do over sight that will have a change in at least my view that voters are making. the house judiciary committee has struggled to bring in witnesses to work with the mueller team.
11:09 am
it's gotten some documents, it's gotten some material but not nearly as much as it wants to. one of the big challenges discussed is the resource issues. we only have so many lawyers. we only have so many human hours to spend going to court, litigating and writing sums and-these staffers appear to be a little thin and struggling to stay on top of all. different requests that they have. one thing going forward that the house judiciary has in their sights is trying to get the former white house council don mcgahn to come in. whether that's going to happen this year or next year, it's a toss-up, hard to say. >> you are all going to stick with me. i want to bring in congressman eric swalwell. a member of both committees and was there yesterday. good to see you congressman. where do you think impeachment stands? is it essentially dead in the water now? >> no, not at all.
11:10 am
more people will add their name, i predict. >> you predict or they've been telling you? >> actually, i've had conversations with members who are going to go home for the work period the next six weeks and they expect their constituents will want them to move forward in that. and they have a plan how they're going to receive information. you're not going to see people think, you know what after the hearing yesterday with mueller, i want to take my name off of that. >> there are 235 democrats in the house. i think there are 93 now in favor of moving on impeachment proceedi proceedings you're one of them in favor. but if you've got less than half, is it time to move on? >> no i'm of the camp that says this president will continue to get worse, unless you hold him accountable. maybe it's because i'm the father of a 2-year-old who gets worse unless i discipline him. that's just human nature. unless he sees that the rules
11:11 am
also apply to him, he's going to get worse not just on his obstruction of congress which we're seeing in realtime but what he's doing tell border. what he's doing with the affordable care act and refusing to protect people from being charged more from pre-existing conditions. he's a laws president. unless we stand up to him and show him that the law as ply to him it's only going to get worse. by the way, future presidents will look at what we do now, and they will adjust their conduct accordingly if you say you can get away with this. >> you're calling on the intel committee, adam schiff has said they do not have the delegation to impeach. just said that this morning. would you argue to the contrary, oversight is indeed very much your obligation as a congress? >> well, certainly. and we're doing the oversight. i think you saw the intelligence and judiciary committees yesterday put forward a very professional, you know -- a professional display of the evidence for the american people, with very limited
11:12 am
parameters. but i also just believe that, you know, we have to hold this president accountable. i just want to make a point, chris, about the way this president has bullied past administrations and now tries to bully this congress. and we try and do the right thing and we pay the price. russia was interfering and this president said the election is going to be rigged so the obama administration was very slow to attribute the interference to russia. donald trump benefited. you heard the special counsel yesterday say he could have subpoenaed donald trump to testify, but he wanted to get the investigation over with. there was no time line on it except donald trump complaining every day on twitter so we didn't end up getting donald trump under oath before the special counsel so donald trump benefits. donald trump says it's to his benefit if we move to impeachment, i think that may be in our head that we would pay a political price. we didn't let donald trump benefit, he continues to benefit from his own lawlessness and lies.
11:13 am
>> but a colleague, kasie hunt was told there are outstanding matters in the court. has nancy pelosi essentially moving the goalpost, never really intending to go for impeachment unless something so extraordinary happens? and i don't even know what, you know, that is anymore, given what we've seen already. >> i don't think she's moving the goalpost. there are cases in the courts. i see her as the conductor of the symphony. she needs all of the conductors to be tuned and playing offer the same sheet of music. i'm going to continue to urge my colleagues to call for impeachment so we have that momentum when we need her to move on this that she will. i don't think she's taken it off the table at all. >> we're almost out of time but i do want to get you on the record about this, because if there was one thing that came through very clearly yesterday from robert mueller was not only is our election interfered with but it's very much still out there. and senate republicans once again blocked a pair of election
11:14 am
security bills yesterday. how concerned are you, former 2020 candidate, about the integrity of the 2020 election? >> very concerned. >> no hyperbole here. >> i see the threats every single day three floors below in the capitol in a secure room. they are very real. that was a call yesterday from bob mueller and we should yieun with previous threats to his country. >> thank you very much. "the washington post" is this, the failure to focus on election in the hearings reflect a broad impasse between democrats and lawmakers since russian hackers upended the 2016 contest with the exception of delivering $380 million for securities in states in 2018 with no strings attached. did democrats miss an opportunity yesterday by
11:15 am
focusing more on obstruction than interference? >> it's possible. certainly, robert mueller was far more forceful yesterday rather than on the obstruction matter. it was very clear, the only time we've heard from him publicly, the nine-minute statement he gave a month or two back that was largely about the threat posed by the election. americans should be concerned about it. and it's not become one because republicans have taken their cues from the white house which is not take any heft, not put any power behind it which has done very little to safe guard our election. according to the reporting, this is a very sensitive reporting for donald trump. he feels any election interference calls into question what happened in 2016. it's his wing, the idea that he only got elected because he got help from russia. he's not wanting to pursue this, going forward. and people are reporting, some of the aides aren't even allowed to talk about the matter in his
11:16 am
presence because it sets him off. it's not something we want to do but we do know he and his aides were gleeful since yesterday. >> donna, you know how hard it is to get things done. you lived it. we heard yesterday from robert mueller the integrity of our elections is at stake. senate republicans won't budge on election security. i don't know, voters don't seem particularly interested in making this something that members-congress are going to run on. so what now? >> you know, yesterday, i thought the most sobering moments of the intelligence parts of the hearings actually centered on russian interference. and not that they did it in 2016, but that it's ongoing. and i think it's really unfortunate that we also heard practically at the same time from mitch mcconnell mcconnell that they're taking election security basically off the table. and republicans in the house won't even join in on legislation that democrats have offered to protect our election.
11:17 am
and so, we're about ready to go through another really rocky road where americans have to be skeptical about the information they receive, about knowing where it's coming from and how they're being manipulated. and republicans in congress simply refuse to deal with it. >> yeah. and on tuesday, betsy, senate democrats published a report labeling mcconnell the lead opponent to the legislation, that's out there. we know that's what they think. but do you see anything between now and then that's going to provide a level of election security the kind that robert mueller was calling for yesterday? >> i don't. and the reason is that, it's a little complicated within the department of homeland security which of course is the administration component that's responsible for safe guarding elections there are ton of career and political officials who care deeply about making sure that what happened in 2016 doesn't get repeated in 2020. of. there's enormous appetite in
11:18 am
that department. people want to do their jobs. but turning the battleship of the federal government when it comes to secure election infrastructure is much easier said than done. and what makes it really hard is that there's virtually no buy-in whatsoever from the white house. it's really hard for the federal government to change the way that it works in a wide ranging and meaningful way without the white house saying go, go, go, get this done. and right now, it's just not happening. >> bettery woodruff, jonathan lamire, ben, thank you so much. >> katy tur returns for just a little bit. she's here with jacob soboroff that shows the new docuseries. plus, no more mr. nice guy will joe biden come out swinging after the next debate? also ahead the people of puerto rico took a stand. the governor is now out.
11:19 am
will they get the broader change they want? maybe not. ♪all strength, no sweat... just in case you forgot♪ ♪all strength, no sweat... ♪no no no sweat...
11:20 am
11:21 am
we've got some breaking news for you right now. 16 marines have been arrested at cape pendleton on charges ranging from human smuggling to drug-recommended offense. an additional eight has been detained on the drug charges. joining me now nbc correspondent courtney kuby. what can you tell justice. >> as you mentioned, chris, there's the 16 that were
11:22 am
arrested just today. eight more detained and there were actually two that were arrested earlier this month. so, we're talking about two dozen marines from the same division, actually from the same battalion based at camp pendleton. the charges range from the first two arrested earlier this month were accused with human smuggling, and that was specifically moving migrants from inside the country. not bringing them across the border from mexico but moving them inside the country. >> let me stop you there for a second. were they assigned to the southwest border mission? >> no, none of the marines involved were assigned to the southwest border region. keep in mind where they are, they're in southern california, so not far from it. the 16 arrested today. they had them in formation, and they pulled the 16 out and were arrested by ncis which is the naval criminal investigative service. some are for drug charges and smuggling and a combination of both. this stems from the
11:23 am
investigation from the first two arrested earlier this month in human smuggling. after the 16 were arrested today, then they found eight more detained on possible drug charges. as i said, chris, we're talking about two dozen marines from the same battalion which is anywhere from 800 marines in total all arrested now. >> all young guys, right? the youngest -- the least senior enlisted? >> yes, young men and potentially women here. we don't know exactly the breakdown of the gender. but e2 to e4 which is junior enlisted, chris. most likely younger men and women. >> nbc's courtney kube, thank you. even as joe biden is back on defense expandsing on his records on race as he works to prove he's a fighter and the best candidate to take down trump. [ alarm beeping ]
11:24 am
wake up! there's a lot that needs to get done today. small things. big things. too hard to do alone things. day after day, you need to get it all done. and here to listen and help you through it all is bank of america. with the expertise and know-how you need to reach that blissful state of done-ness. so let's get after it. ♪ everything is all right what would you like the power to do?® ♪ all right what would you like the power to do?® i was told to begin my aspirin regimen, blem. and i just didn't listen. until i almost lost my life. my doctors again ordered me to take aspirin, and i do. be sure to talk to your doctor before you begin an aspirin regimen. listen to the doctor. take it seriously.
11:25 am
liberty mutual customizes your car insurance, hmm. exactly. so you only pay for what you need. nice. but, uh... what's up with your... partner? not again. limu that's your reflection. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty ♪ i felt i couldn't be at my best wifor my family. c, in only 8 weeks with mavyret, i was cured and left those doubts behind. i faced reminders of my hep c every day. but in only 8 weeks with mavyret, i was cured. even hanging with friends i worried about my hep c. but in only 8 weeks with mavyret, i was cured. mavyret is the only 8-week cure
11:26 am
for all common types of hep c. before starting mavyret your doctor will test if you've had hepatitis b which may flare up and cause serious liver problems during and after treatment. tell your doctor if you've had hepatitis b, a liver or kidney transplant, other liver problems, hiv-1, or other medical conditions, and all medicines you take including herbal supplements. don't take mavyret with atazanavir or rifampin, or if you've had certain liver problems. common side effects include headache and tiredness. with hep c behind me, i feel free... ...fearless... ...and there's no looking back, because i am cured. talk to your doctor about mavyret.
11:27 am
turns out this is a pretty big day for new and really interesting information on the democratic race for president. three new polls coming out just as the front-runner joe biden is giving us some hints about a new game plan for the next debate.
11:28 am
joini ing msnbc national correspondent steve kornacki, walk us through the numbers. >> this is from monmouth, new hampshire. south carolina the first on the south primary on the democratic side, you see joe biden not just in first place, but he's running laps around the field. kamala harris, the only one, and the distant senator, bernie sanders. south carolina, it's a majority black electorate in the democratic primary. look at the racial breakdown if we can put that up on the screen here. you there go, among white voters, biden's leading in south carolina but barely, three points ahead of elizabeth warren. check this out, among black voters in south carolina on this poll, biden more than doubles over 50% among black voters. harris running in second, 40 points behind.
11:29 am
and pete buttigieg, we talked about that disparity. 11% among white voters, 1% with black voters. black voters in south carolina right now, a big reason why that state, you look at all of the early states out there, right now, south carolina is the strongest, the best looking one for joe biden. it's because of that support that so far he's been able to maintain with black voters. >> and ohio, steve, which is off the list of battleground states. but it looks like at least a number of these candidates could potentially give donald trump a run for his money. >> yes, check this out. then we've got general election polling from quinnipiac, here you go, in ohio, remember, this is a state barack obama was able to carry twice. it didn't just flip to trump, it flipped to trump by a high single margin. in the poll, joe biden eight points ahead in the head-to-head
11:30 am
matchup. and the rest of democrats behind. and buttigieg making that argument, trying and convince him he's the best. he wants democratic voters to see him matched up against trump and do measurably better. this is one of those, we will see if it lasts. there's going to be a debate next week. these candidates get more exposure and they storm to perform more like biden does against trump and does that endure for biden or help him in terms of that electability case he's trying to make. >> kornacki, thank you. even as joe biden gets good polling news, he and his team clearly know they have to do better in next week's debate than he did when he took hits from kamala harris. and cory booker slammed him at
11:31 am
an naacp yesterday. >> for a guy who helped to be an architect of mass incarceration, this is an inadequate solution to what is a raising crisis in our country. >> cory knows that's not true. if you look at the mayor's record and you know it, one of the provisions i wrote in the crime bill, patterns of practice and misbehavior, the police department was stopping and frisking mostly african-american men. if he wants to go back and talk about records i'd like to do talk about the future. >> and it put the former veep in the cross hairs of friendly fire with senator harris. next time, biden is promising we'll see less mr. nice guy at the next debate. and in a random draw, biden finds himself in the middle of the state between both booker and harris. >> i was probably overly polite
11:32 am
in the way i didn't respond. >> are you going to be less polite then? >> i'm going to smile a lot. >> you said you're not going to be polite in the next debate? >> we'll see. >> oh, dramatic pause there. joining me senior director for progressive programming at sirs xm, zerlina maxwell and former aide elise jordan. what does a less polite joe biden look like? >> somebody who is ready to address some of the critiques that have been made about his record which i think are fair. and this current fight is really interesting. and i say, somebody who had to deal with the same critiques, as a staffer for hillary clinton who had to deal with the same exact messaging about the crime bill. and frankly, it was a weakness going into the general election
11:33 am
because largely, millennials of color did not support hillary clinton in high numbers in states to win the electoral college. this is an issue that's going to come to the forefront. many candidates have proposed specific reform for the system. the main question for biden can you trust him to fix the system that he helped to create. >> kamala harris obviously gained ground. but did she gain ground because of the message that delivered on bussing or because she looked like she could stand on the stage against donald trump and take nothing? >> i think it helped senator harris that she looked like a fighter. if you poll americans now about bussing, it's not popular with anyone. >> so if joe's not going to be no longer mr. nice guy, it makes sense? >> i think in a primary when eventually you're going to be going up against donald trump where no low is too low, remember that debate where he brought women --
11:34 am
>> yeah, i remember that really well. >> with sexual assault, when you have that level of a fighter that you're going up against that really will do everything and anything, this primary should be tough. because they need to -- this is the minor leagues before the world series. >> so, had i read to you what was in the "national review" okay, about what it takes, a fear of direct confrontation with trudge and his base leads his opponents to hope that trump can be defeated without hard fighting. this is a vain hope. trump wins because he refuses to doubt himself and always seeks the initiative in a media fight. he makes his opponents fearful. and that language is not the national language of our political class. so can anybody beat donald trump if they hesitate to throw the punches? >> well, i think they need to show that against our fellow democrats. >> yes. >> i think the reason why and the squad with the democratic leadership is instructive in the moment.
11:35 am
what democrats want to see, particularly democrats who look like me, who win elections as women of color is somebody who can stand up against you. they're putting brown children that cages. what we want to see is democrats stand up for us. it doesn't matter what the democrat looks like. it can be an old white guy, or julian castro, but it has to be that you're willing to stand up against those marginalized and caged who cannot speak for themselves. i think kamala did he well because you literally could see the split screen and joe biden literally said i think my time is up. >> that's not going to work. >> longtime argument, as you both well know is, if you beat up -- i'm saying this is the argument. if you beat up too much on your fellow democrats it weakens them in the general. then donald trump can come back and say, well, remember, your colleagues on the democratic
11:36 am
side think this. and it just gives him more ammunition. >> i think, in the criticism that's being leveled against the candidates now, that's really not a concern. this is very low-level debating policy debating records. it must be done, hashed out in the primary so that the strongest candidate emerges. i, quite frankly, found the former vice president's remarks about senator harris and her attack during the debate to be incredibly weak. you can't say, oh, so-and-so is my friend so they're not supposed to attack me. that just doesn't work. >> i mean, i was on the campaign trail a long time with jeb bush. but also a little bit with governor kasich, both of them, i think, looking back, realized trying to stick to the issues and being the nice guy didn't help. you can argue that nobody is going to beat donald trump in 2016 but -- >> i think you can keep it to the policy like elise said.
11:37 am
there's a different in attacking joe biden on personal terms. >> but the attacks on the other side are going to be personal. >> sure. and you can address that when the time comes. but at this moment, the democrats need to have a policy fight over the impact of the crime bill. there have been family members of mine, people i know, who look like me, whose entire families have been basically eviscerated by the effect of mass incarceration. it impacts entire communities. so, understanding that, and all of the fallout from that piece of legislation, joe biden has to come to terms with that. and there has to be a reckoning around that. millennials of color understand this issue in a different way than the older generation. largely because a lot of people read the new jim crow which ironically which is edited by maya harris, kamala's sister. joe biden absolutely can join
11:38 am
this conversation. he can lead this conversation. >> i have so many more questions. >> it's a very interesting generational divide. you have biden who can talk about it from the vantage point of introducing that legislation that ripped the country and so many families apart. you have cory booker active in the lighter fight and more recent criminal justice reform and senator harris active as a prosecutor. >> elise, zerlina, i have so many questions to talk about. thank you so much. up next, "american swap" katy tur, yes, that katy tur and jacob soboroff to talk about their new role. ♪ like a drifter i was-- ♪ born to walk alone! ...barb! you left me hangin' on the high harmony there.
11:39 am
if you ride, you get it. geico motorcycle. 15 minutes could save you 15% or more. who used expedia to book the vacation rental which led to the discovery that sometimes a little down time can lift you right up. expedia. everything you need to go. expedia. if you have moderate to severe plaque psoriasis, every day can begin with flakes. it's a reminder of your struggles with psoriasis. but what if your psoriasis symptoms didn't follow you around? that's why there's ilumya. with just 2 doses, a majority of people were clear or almost clear.
11:40 am
and over time, even more people were clear or almost clear. all with dosing 4 times a year... after 2 initial doses. plus, ilumya was shown to have similar risks of infections compared to placebo. don't use if you are allergic to ilumya or any of its ingredients. before starting treatment, your doctor should check for tuberculosis and infections. after checking there is no need for routine lab monitoring unless your doctor advises it. ilumya may increase your risk of infections and lower your ability to fight them. tell your doctor if you have an infection or have symptoms, or if you plan to or have recently received a vaccine. this could be your chance to leave your psoriasis symptoms behind. ask your doctor for ilumya today, for a clearer tomorrow. big donors mean big influence on candidates, elections and capitol hill. so far this year alone, lobbyist cricks have totaled nearly $1 billion. there are also several former lobbyists in the president's
11:41 am
capital. ex-ratheon lobbyist the latest-the secretary of the interior, secretary of health and human services and the administrator of the epa. in a four part series premiering this sunday on msnbc, katy tur and jacob soboroff explore elections in unprecedented ways and they explore what can be done to fix the every-rising waters of the swamp. >> during the 2018 midterms katy and i saw first hand how campaign records were shattered with a total of $4.7 million spent. it's not just the jaw-dropping numbers that caught our attention. >> i recognized the property operator. nextgen. >> the nra. >> the more you look, the swampier it gets. a murky mix of powerful
11:42 am
corporations. special interest groups and a handful of staggering wealthy individuals are buying our elections. and it's also perfectly legal. >> you can go through all of this and name every single person who works in that building and show how much money. >> the co-host of "american swamp" the woman you normally see on this hour, katy tur, making a brief and yet triumphant return from maternity lead and msnbc correspondent jacob soboroff. >> she's back. >> she is back.
11:43 am
>> we've never -- collectively, we have never done anything like this before. >> no. >> and we have known each other for 20 years as friends as well as colleagues. >> that explains a lot whenever you see us on tv. whether you did before hand. >> yeah like yelling at each other, wrap it up, wrap it. you we want to understand when you've been in the field, yourself included. people say what's happened in washington there's no resemblance to our everyday lives back at home. we're talking to issues that are incredibly important. >> i want to play, katy, your interviews with the former commissioner of elections. >> one of. >> take a look. >> disparity of wement between people it has gotten larger and larger over the years. so the people who truly have the money and truly have the power is a smaller group of people compared to everybody else.
11:44 am
>> well, i'm not sure that is true at all. but beyond that, we're also not comparing the system to some pie in the sky deal. we understand that democracy is a messy business. and we understand the best way to hear is a lot of voices. nobody should be shut down. >> you watch any sitcom or a newspaper or turn your or television, period, during an election, every ad you see is from an outside group talking about an candidate. >> these ads increase voter knowledge of the elections. helps them know more about the candidates. >> i wonder that that's true. >> i don't know that you can say that. again, the question is you do you want government making that decision? do you want government on what's making fake news. >> well, we can know that some of them are absolutely untrue. and they are prushoven to be untrue. the but the bigger point -- >> bigger point, we have so much money funneling into politics. it's a legalized version of
11:45 am
money laundering. and yes, super pacs, you hear the terms, they're confusing on for a reason, on purpose, because if they're confusing, people won't fix it. the group said don nature to super pacs, do not. you don't know who is funding that pamphlet, that mailer that goes into your mailbox at home. you don't know who is flooding you with emails. you don't know who's flooding your television with commercials. you don't know who is having lunch, necessarily, with staffers or lobbyists. and influencing elected officials. and what we're trying to do is figure out why -- when did it become that way, and is there a way to fix it. >> how do we fix it because we've been talking about it for a long time. >> there's a light at the end of the tunnel. if you pay attention and understand how it works, you will find out how to fix it. in the in the has domontana has.
11:46 am
>> i always say montana is a scam because it's such a beautiful place to go. >> in montana, they don't have the proliferation of dark money in politics. they have passed, number one, disclosure laws. and number two, the limit is $180 for people in montana. >> let me make the argument. the opposite argument, yeah, that's montana but the population of this entire huge state is this lan tless than th of manhattan. >> the disclose act says 90 days -- you can spend whatever you want. you have to say who you are. there's no dark money. you have to say who you are if you want to spend money in our state. he talked to governor bullock, and governor bullock said he was having a ton of special interest groups spending against him, the
11:47 am
coke broth koch brothers, 90 days before the election, it had to stop. it stopped because they didn't want to disclose who they are. and upholding the lower court's decision. that is something that could be adopted in states around this country. and that is how you fix politics from the ground up. >> there are details in it. but we should go to the basements in montana and figure out how they do this in real life to prove to everyday americans that it's possible. >> we read james madison's copy of the federal -- >> that's awesome. honestly, it's going to be fantastic. these two have been friends forever. i walked into katy's office because i heard she was here. actually, i walked out with a baby. i'm pretty sure it was yours. >> i was wondering where you went. >> just before the record before this gets on page 6, the child has been returned. thank you, guys.
11:48 am
jacob soboroff, katy toue y ture back in a couple weeks. you can catch them on the premiere of "american swamp." this sunday, 9:00 p.m. eastern only on msnbc. up next, puerto ricans standoff. their demands are heard. the governor has resigned. what's next for this american territory? where did you learn that? the internet... yeah? mmm! with no artificial preservatives or added nitrates or nitrites, it's all for the love of hot dogs.
11:49 am
book two, separate qualifying stays at choicehotels.com... ...and earn a $50 gift card. because when your business is rewarding yourself... ...our business is you. book direct at choicehotels.com
11:50 am
♪work so hard give it everything you got♪ ♪strength of a lioness tough as a knot♪ ♪rocking the stage and we're never gonna stop♪ ♪all strength, no sweat... just in case you forgot♪
11:51 am
♪all strength, no sweat... ♪no no no sweat... thousands of puerto ricans are marching in the streets today. but this time it's in celebrates. last night san juan erupted into cheers after the island's embattled governor ricardo rossello announced he will step down effective next friday. rossello's announcement follows nearly two weeks of sweeping protests calling for his resignation over leaked sexist and homophobic exchanges between him and members of his team. hey, gabe. >> reporter: chris, after nearly two weeks of protests, governor ricardo rossello resigned late last night. and this is what we're seeing today. a scene of jubilation in san juan. this protest had been previously planned to march about a mile throughout the city. now it has really turned into a
11:52 am
party. this is what protesters have been asking for. this controversy had been going on for the better part of two weeks. there was controversial chat messages that were leaked and published by the center for investigative journalism that really caused this pent-up frustration on the streets of san juan to just erupt. i'm joined now by one woman. hi, ma'am. we talked just a short time ago. you can see it's definitely a party atmosphere here. when you heard the governor resign yesterday, what did you think? >> i think it was that -- the best thing he do for the puerto rico people. we deserve that. we deserve it honestly and we want you out because we are free. we elect you, but we told you to go out. and the best thing you done is
11:53 am
to leave us alone. >> reporter: this was an emotional moment for this island. >> yes. i feel the sadness because puerto rico had been suffering for so many years. this is like wow. thank you, governor, because you united one island, the most precious island of the world. you united for 12 days and i've been, like, crying. my tears, my pride for the island, thank you so much. bye, bye, and bye, bye corruption because you know what? we say bye bye to corruption. this is it. this is it. you have to respect the people. >> reporter: so, chris, the secretary of justice wanda vazquez is set to take office next friday. a lot of these protesters are not happy with that either.
11:54 am
what do you think of the new governor wanda vazquez? should she -- >> i don't trust her. >> reporter: you don't trust her? why not? >> because she's been in the same team with the same corruption. it's not clear for me. give me somebody who is new, who is out of that team. >> reporter: thank you so much for talking to us. we really appreciate it. so, chris, as you can see, a scene of jubilation here in san juan. the celebration continues. a lot of questions about the future of puerto rico. but for right now this is a city that finally feels. >> thank you so much, and don't you wish you had the -- you were the vendor for those flags, the puerto rican flags? a 1-year-old teaching us all a big lesson and owning what makes us unique. "one more thing" next. until i almost lost my life. my doctors again ordered me to take aspirin,
11:55 am
and i do. be sure to talk to your doctor before you begin an aspirin regimen. listen to the doctor. take it seriously. ♪ ♪ in big ways and in small, bank of america is here to help you get things done. what would you like the power to do?® ♪ done what would you like the power to do?® [ referee whistle sounds ] ♪ sport dr[ cheering ]s when you need the fuel to be your nephew's number one fan. holiday inn express. we're there. so you can be too.
11:56 am
♪work so hard give it everything you got♪ ♪strength of a lioness tough as a knot♪ ♪rocking the stage and we're never gonna stop♪ ♪all strength, no sweat... just in case you forgot♪ ♪all strength, no sweat... ♪no no no sweat... here, hello! starts with -hi!mple... how can i help? a data plan for everyone. everyone? everyone. let's send to everyone! [ camera clicking ]
11:57 am
wifi up there? -ahhh. sure, why not? how'd he get out?! a camera might figure it out. that was easy! glad i could help. at xfinity, we're here to make life simple. easy. awesome. so come ask, shop, discover at your xfinity store today. one more thing before we go. >> it can be tough to be a kid,
11:58 am
bullying, feeling like you aren't fitting in. so imagine what it's like if you're one of the hundreds of kids born every year with an arm that's only pauly formed. well, let me introduce you to 22 month old joseph tid or joe-joe as he likes to be called. he was born with congenital limb difference. on his short time on earth, he has learned a less wron that far too many of us don't learn in a lifetime, to own what makes you different. and he learned it thanks in part to his determined parents and a nonprofit called lucky fin named after "finding nemo." how? see for yourself. he was recently in the stands in florida cheering on orlando pride. he loves soccer. so it was a big deal when one of the players, pride defender noticed jojo in the stands, ran over to put fin to fin.
11:59 am
she also has a limb difference. that gesture made a huge impact. jojo's mom said he spent the entire ride home looking at his arm and giggling because he knew he had a new friend. it's not the first time he's shown off his fin. he went viral a few months ago when he met seattle's linebacker. despite what some would say as a defect. jojo now travels the country when he can meeting others with limb difference. he's such a bundle of confidence that he often introduces himself to other kids by saying i'm jojo. then he points to his arm and said i bit it off. his parents have absolutely no idea where he got that line, but they let him run with it because it's proof their little boy is taking ownership of what makes him unique. and, frankly, all the more adorable. not to mention a lot more mature than most. that wraps up things for this
12:00 pm
hour. i'm chris jansen in new york. just try to follow joe joe. >> i mean, can we just do the next hour on -- can we do more stories. and imagine if you're in jo-jo's position and you see icons on the soccer field and football field. he's an example, by the way, for all of us. >> yeah. he's doing things that you and i couldn't do. amazing kid. we love you, jo-jo. all right, everybody. it is thursday july 25th. i'm going to try and follow that story. we'll see how it goes. and hours after special counsel bob mueller testified that russia is still trying to meddle in our elections, current fbi director chris wray said we know that our adversaries are relentless, but so are we. bun democratic senator went on fox news to emphasize the biggest takeaway fro

41 Views

1 Favorite

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on