Skip to main content

tv   The Beat With Ari Melber  MSNBC  September 4, 2019 3:00pm-4:00pm PDT

3:00 pm
interrupted but i lose the satellite window you're participating in in 15 seconds. thank you for coming on and sharing your views. stay safe. i bet we'll be talking again soon. we'll be back tomorrow with more "meet the press". "the beat" starts now. good evening. we have a lot to get to. president trump could not get mexico to pay for the wall. he has a new back up plan. did donald trump doctor a weather forecast with a sharpie. adult film star stormie daniels offering to testify publicly about her alleged dealings with donald trump and the illegal hush money payments. in any other presidency that would be the top story all night. moscow mitch complaining about another nickname as he faces more on gun control. we begin with the
3:01 pm
president's desperation. i want to put this in the appropriate context right now for every one. donald trump failed. completely and totally failed to deliver on his signature campaign promise of building a wall and mexico paying for it. we all remember that. now he's in a new phase trying to do anything to get the wall paid for. raiding billions of dollars from the u.s. military for this construction. here's the news. donald trump diverting $3.6 billion today that was already designated for u.s. military construction projects in order to do things that he can argue will amount to wall. this delays by one count 127 projects across the u.s. and around the world. let's be clear. donald trump promised over and over mexico would pay for this wall. now, the military that he claims to love so much, he's overriding their judgments and plans to pay for it.
3:02 pm
>> i will build a great, great wall on our southern boardrder i will have plex kmexico pay. >> the pentagon is cancelling $3.6 billion in military projects to fund for trump's boarder wall. >> mexico's paying for the wall. okay. >> the pentagon says it will redirect $3.6 billion in military construction money to pay for the wall that the president always said mexico would pay for. >> they'll pay. in one form or another. they may even write us a check. >> this does allow president trump to say he's working on his border wall as he runs for re-election. >> this all started as a long shot campaign to get mexico to fund our infrastructure. it morphed into that government shutdown of legal balts ttles. we are dealing with an effort that's all about helping donald trump save face and claim
3:03 pm
there's problem. he's even admitting to aides that a failure to get this wall funded and paid for and built in part would be a let down to his supporters and embarrassing defeat. just take that in. that's not a concern that americans are footing the bill or how this affects the military which is we're reporting. that is self-serving concerns for trump about the optics of defeat. >> the wall is being built. it's going up rapidly. most you have have been able to see we're building a very large sections of wall. >> that's not true either which is why there's this desperate rush to find new funds. they have not built a single mile of new wall. they've only been replacing existing parts. that's a lot to take in and it's obviously embarrassing for trump. that's why he's working to do anything other than let people remember that he failed.
3:04 pm
there's no new wall. mexico didn't pay for it and on and on it goes. that's the fact check portion of the news tonight. we're not going to stop there because these immigration policies are obviously about much more than campaign posturing. they are about people's lives. as donald trump goes on this crusade of optics, we're learning more about the way he's using his authority as commander in chief. the way that children are still being separated from their parents. there's a new internal review out that i want you to see. it found these separated children are showing an exhibiting high mental stress. they are more likely to feel anxiety and abandonment than children who came to the u.s. all alone. they are documented physical ailments because many of these young children under the stress of these trump administration policies can't process what they are going through. one worker explaining you get a lot of my chest hurts even though everything is fine
3:05 pm
medically. there are heartbreaking accounts like this one. a boy described as being around 7 or 8 was given no explanation as to why he was separated from his father. a mental health worker explained he was under the delusion his fall had been killed and he believed he would also be killed. these are just some of the accounts that are dribbling out. these are children. we know many of them will be living with this for the rest of their lives and the aftershocks and the ptsd. this something donald trump has done and accomplished on immigration. traumatizing children while failing to get mexico to pay for the border wall while also shifting burdens over to the u.s. military.
3:06 pm
i want to speak to the only two panelists but you out rank me. i'll go to you first. what is your view of this both in the way the government should run? you have extensive service in the government and the military piece. is it good for the u.s. military to have policy re-routed like this? >> just at face value these m l military construction budgets are fought out over five years. to get the first year of funding for what is always a multi-year project. this is an incredibly inefficient way to go about managing the u.s. armed forces, a giant enterprise. more importantly having studied american government, taught american government and served at the highest levels for better part of a decade in washington, we have never seen anything like this. it's unconstitutional to divert money in this manner. >> maria.
3:07 pm
>> when he says it's uninstitutiu unconstitutioned i used to work on appropriations and it disrupts exactly where it's going but it circumvents congress's power of purse. it's talking about the balance of authority and recognizing that we have this balance of authority on purpose. it's written into the constitution. he's thumbing his nose at it. when you were talking about the president saying that family separation is his hallmark of immigration policy, it's not alone. he's also preventing individuals from getting flu shots so so if there's a flu outbreak, we had two children die under this administration. he's reventing the outbreak of mumps. it's such a hostile environment to a country that created asylum and refugee laws. this is anti-american, unpatriotic. we have demanded federal investigations. not just on his diversion of
3:08 pm
$3.6 billion of defense to go towards a wall that the american of americans don't want but also with the fact of what he's doing on his hands when it comes to these questionable -- his questioning authority when it comes to how he's treating these children. >> elenore. >> i think he'll get away with it with the blessing of the supreme court. he's acting under the guise of the more than oremergency order through this year. he's moving money around with the blessing of the secretary of defense and the signals coming out of the supreme court in an earlier case indicate that they approve or they favor by 5-4 margin executive power and he's likely to get away with this which i think is most horrifying part of it. presidents in the past they have war on poverty, a war on drugs.
3:09 pm
this president is conducting a war on immigration. he thinks it's going to be or he knows it's going to be popular among the segment of the population that he needs for his re-election and he's determined to get that wall built and he will stretch his powers as far as they will go and he's not getting much opposition. usually when you monkey with congressional projects that have members of congress and senator who is are using them to demonstrate to their constituents why they are important in washington, i've noticed so far it's only democrat who is have been complaining. i'm cynical enough to wonder if they cherry picked the projects and know they will only get objections from the two democratic senators of virginia or chuck schumer who is come pl -- complaining about west point on the list. i'm waiting for the outcry.
3:10 pm
we haven't seen it yet this this president. probably won't see it this time either. >> i think it goes to something that's very serious, general, even if people are at risk of becoming inured to it which is you have a president who is willing to run rod shot over negotiated and thought out military civil arrangements which is probably not good long term for the body politic. i want to play jim mattis on msnbc today. take a look. >> i don't know how i could have spoken more loudly to where i stand to what i put in my letter of resignation and quitting a job when i had not completed it two years in. >> general, widening out, how concerned are you about the relationship between this president and what we just saw there.
3:11 pm
obviously within reason their job is to stay out of any of these public debates and let congress and the executive branch work out funding and go forward. we see things that test how both the enlisted speak out about things that don't appear to be a positive and fair balancing of how the political tear should run in a democracy. >> they do follow all legal ordsers from the commander in chief. i think we actually in the short run need to be grateful we have secretary mark esper, now the secretary of defense. he did approve this, what i believe to be an illegal act of reprogramming money. i think as a general statement so far the pentagon has remained
3:12 pm
non-political. to include with this wonderful man, secretary jim mattis but we need to worry about the armed forces a neutral factor to defend the american people, not a play thing of the president of the united states. >> spoken clearly. i have to let the general go. i'm going to get you back in maria. general, thank you for your time tonight and speaking on this topic. i appreciate it. >> good to be with you. >> my other panelists stay as we bring in one other thing that we absolutely had to get to. this trump controversy that is being called sharpie gate. it begins this very morning with donald trump speaking to reporters about an admittedly serious topic holding up a poster. so far so good. then people noticed because it's a public press event something weird that you see on the map. it appeared someone drew on an
3:13 pm
extra part to make it appear as if alabama might also be in the storm's path which it wasn't. you see it right here. this is the important part because that extra line which appears to be drawn in a sharpie marker. notice it doesn't match the underlying white line used for the path of the storm and the context is as petty as it is embarrassing because pefs hhe w hammered for an error of his own making which he claimed might hit alabama which was so flatly wrong, there was no way to defend it. government forecasters had to come out and correct their own supervisor, the president. who altered the map? why did they use a black sharpie instead of a white line that might look more realistic? i can't tell you we know at this time but i can give you the evidence. we no the president has an affinity for the sharpie marker. he uses them to sign official government documents. he uses them for notes before he
3:14 pm
speaks publicly and he uses them even to write thickly worded angry notes to reporters and columnist even underlying the words. you see racist a note he sent to the washington post jonathan capehart. he likes sharpies so much it came up as a topic in an interview he did. >> that's a sharpie. i say this writes much better and this costs almost nothing as the pen is extremely expensive. i called up the folks at sharpie and i said do me a favor, can you make the pen in black, make it look rich. they said we can put your signature on. that's your signature right there. this costs practically nothing and the other one was immensely expensive and you give them out. more important than anything it writes well so it works out good. i don't want to make this a commercial for sharpie but it's
3:15 pm
a commercial on saving money too. >> i don't know. i don't know. there's so much there. there are many problems. donald trump touting he did try to reach out the folks at sharpie to get a personalize pen. also you're the president. any way, what is serious here when you look at the footage is whether that extra looping line was drawn by the president of the united states in a lie to defend a gaffe he made that did have security implications to make up for it. >> it almost looked like a sharpie. >> i don't know. i don't know.
3:16 pm
i don't know. >> elenore, the thing is i want to be very clear. the serious part is the error he made which the weather service had to correct and we've been covering that. the ridiculous part is the sharpie gate. what do you make of this very 2019 story? >> i want to laugh but something inside is telling me, do not laugh. he mucked with a weather report that had real consequences for people in the path of that storm who are on his twitter account. who take every word he says seriously and alabama is a state that went for him by humongous number of points but why would he want to include alabama. there's no political reason. i think he just wasn't paying attention or he doesn't know his geography and he said it and he cannot admit any kind of mistake
3:17 pm
even an hon mest mistake. h he's now doubling and tripling and kwquadrupling. whatever they do in gymnastics. >> you almost get the impression this is someone who does a lot of cross word puzzle in pen. >> i don't think so. >> maria. >> download the app. the biggest challenge is he is potentially diverting much needed resources to the actual victims not only also creating potential chaos for people in alabama. legally, by law, when you misrepresent weather reports, that's a crime. i wonder if the democrats might find grounds for impeachment since he kept repeating it over and over. i gist. i think the challenge is he can't admit when he's wrong and when you have leadership, you
3:18 pm
want to be able to admit when you're wrong so when you make mistake, people take your confidence in saying that was an error. i had a slip of the tongue but this is what we need to make sure that the resources are going to florida. that they are going to north carolina and our prayers are with the people from the bahamas. he doesn't have the grace to do that. >> this also goes to something we know from being practiced in reporting and journalism which is this is what we're seeing. this is the clumsy public effort with the sharpie. how many times are serious security pieces being compromised in private settings. i have one more question about this. it's a quick one. >> all right. >> did the black sharpie fool you at any point or did it look different enough from the white line that you were not taken in? >> you know, i wasn't paying that close but if you get close
3:19 pm
to the television screen and you look at it, you can see it's an obvious addition. the press pointed it out so quickly that i felt i discovered it myself. >> well, sometimes people in office, in all parts humiliate themselves. this may be one of those times. the fact check didn't require a ton of time or effort as long as you could see. thank you for tabckling the big and the petty issues tonight. we appreciate it. >> thank you. we have a lot in the show. mike pence on why he wasn't out of his way 180 miles to drop a dime at the trump hotel. house democrats exploring now three roads to impeachment with this new illegal payment probe. we'll explain that story. stormi daniels telling congress bring it on. mitch mcconnell doesn't like
3:20 pm
moscow mitch but he has one name he likes that has an important piece of the gun control story. all of that. we'll be back right now in just 30 seconds. ght now in just 30 seconds every curve, every innovation, every feeling. a product of mastery. lease the 2019 es 350 for $379 a month for 36 months. experience amazing at your lexus dealer. it's an honor to tell you that [ applause ] thank you. liberty mutual customizes your car insurance so you only pay for what you need. i love you! only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪ they say if you're explaining, you're losing. so if you're re-explaining are you losing again. mike pence is revising his story
3:21 pm
a third time ongoing 180 miles out of his way all to get government money, your tax dollars into donald trump's company in ireland. this is now one day after pence's team said that trump suggested he stay there so we know about that. you have another response from pence saying wait a minute. quote, at no time did trump direct him to stay at his ireland resort. what is this all about? pence and his attempt plunked down taxpayer money to stay at trump's resort which was 180 miles away from the government meetings he had in dublin. it may not have been a direct order. nobody said it was the who cares. that's not the point. the point is how these things work. how your money is being misspent and going into trump's pocket and how persuasion in this trump cabinet and trump administration works. michael cohen described it well. >> he doesn't give you questions. he doesn't give you orders. he speaks in a code.
3:22 pm
i understand the code because i've been around him for a decade. >> it's your impression that others who work for him understand the code as well? >> most people, yes. >> most people. the judiciary committee is on this as a real issue investigating trump's push to host the g7 summit at another one of his properties. personal financial interests shaping decisions about u.s. government activities according to those investigators. that's what they want to probe. this is not okay. it's not a good use of the u.s. treasury. here is part of why donald trump could be steering all of this money so desperately, so brazenly, so publicly. . some of trump's properties are bleedsing profits. we have seen the names come down in hotels. at the doral resort, heavy knew
3:23 pm
h -- revenue has fallen by 69%. 24 trump cabinet officials have spent time or money there. it goes back to donald trump. he runs the newsletter tracking these statistics. we're also joined by david corn. good to have you both here. why does this matter. . >> the president is profiting from the presidency. we don't know where his interests lie. he's given up his salary. at the same point he's reported $81 million in income from the trump hotel d.c. in the past two years. that's money that's come from foreign governments, special interests, lobbyists, supporters, from congressmen. all sorts of interests in d.c.
3:24 pm
>> you mention all those people. we'll put up some of the republican senators. they can go where they want. it shows how business is done. 26, according to your newsletter just spotted. we don't know how many more have been there and not been spotted. the new york times piece on this today is chocked full of details. it's getting a lot of heat. i know a lot is a credit to your work. how did you get involved and interested in tracking this? >> i was at the trump hotel for its soft opening covering it more from a travel angle and it was clear this would not be another normal luxury hotel in d.c. as i was reporting an article, i started getting curious if we could see who was going there. people had these fears about the hotel and who would be spending money there. it was during the brief rain of anthony scaramucci.
3:25 pm
>> it's fascinating because so many different projects in a activism and information has come out of this era. most hotels don't have this revenue streak. >> i had been a travel writer for 15 years. you would mingle with the owner. there would be champagne. it was campaign and struck me as interesting. it's something that needed to get covered in depth. >> this is little known. david also wrote for condi nas traveler. he insisted filing his travel
3:26 pm
articles about russia. about four or five they said you have to go somewhere else or mover on. >> it got a little dangerous. >> that's a joke. since we're on the news, it's not fact. my hats go off to zach. i think it's fascinating piece of work. >> i can add to what zach says and i salute his work. i rely on his work at times. i've had several meetings with a republican lobbyist comes to town and wants to meet where, but at the bar at trump hotel. it's place to tbe seen and if yu get lucky enough to gain access to trump, what's the first thing you want to say to him? mr. president, i'm staying at your hotel. it's wonderful. that sounds kind of like schmoozy but there's a real serious component in that we know a million dollar, maybe more from foreign sources have
3:27 pm
come into the trump hotel. could be a lot more because these numbers are not readily made available. it's a private entity. we know when he thinks about the world, he thinks the way snoop dogg thinks. you know what i'm referring to, ari. >> i do. >> money on my mind. >> i love a good snoop dogg jinx. i want to you about the other thing. it's not the theme of tonight's broadcast but the state of play. this stuff is not normal. it's not okay. it's not the way the government is supposed to work. for that thought experience imagine loretta lynch into
3:28 pm
obama's private business if he re-opened his private law firm or had a business interest while she was his attorney general. that's happening right this week and isn't nearly the biggest scandal this week. here is donald trump responding to the pence stuff as well as a.g. barr putting 30k into a planned party at the trump property. >> i had no involvement other than it's a great place. i don't suggest anything. i don't suggest it nor did i with the attorney general. i never spoke to the attorney general. >> i have a lot of hotels because they are the best. >> the market said they are not the best. a lot of them are not doing well. attorney general bill barr just oversaw what happened with the mueller report that was investigating donald trump and may be put in a position to oversee other investigations.
3:29 pm
for him to be giving $30,000 directly to trump. there's no blind trust here. he may well be dealing -- when he's not working because he has nothing on his schedule. he may be involved with his own business operations through his two sons. i don't know how to express the outrage that should come in response to this because there's enough -- there's something every day that deserves not one to ten but an 11, 12, 13 on the outrage scale and this is one of those. >> zach has been staying on. david has done a lot rofof reporting. thank you for being here. mpl mitch mcconnell fuming about the moscow mitch nickname while through pressure to move on gun safety. new clues on how the democrats have a different impeachment push that may surprise you. t push that may surprise you liberty mutual customizes your car insurance,
3:30 pm
so you only pay for what you need. i wish i could shake your hand. granted. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪ so, every day, we put our latest technology and unrivaled network to work. the united states postal service makes more e-commerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country. e-commerce deliveries to homes inalso available in hybridts kind leall wheel drive.sport. lease the 2019 ux 200 for $329 a month for 36 months. experience amazing at your lexus dealer. if you have moderate to thsevere rheumatoid arthritis, month after month, the clock is ticking on irreversible joint damage. ongoing pain and stiffness are signs of joint erosion. humira can help stop the clock.
3:31 pm
prescribed for 15 years, humira targets and blocks a source of inflammation that contributes to joint pain and irreversible damage. humira can lower your ability to fight infections. serious and sometimes fatal infections including tuberculosis, and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. help stop the clock on further irreversible joint damage. talk to your rheumatologist. right here. right now. humira. but super poligrip gives him a tight seal. snacking can mean that pieces get stuck under mike's denture. to help block out food particles. so he can enjoy the game. super poligrip.
3:32 pm
you don't let a cold ruin your day. you take dayquil severe liquicaps and crush it. dayquil severe. the daytime, coughing, aching, stuffy-head, fever, sore throat, power through your day, medicine. liberty mutual customizes your car insurance, hmm. exactly. so you only pay for what you need. nice. but, uh... what's up with your... partner? not again. limu that's your reflection. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty ♪
3:33 pm
in the case of trump top democrats say there's several different potential grounds. not just the evidence from the mueller probe gits. you can think of this growing impeachment caucus as going down three different roads.
3:34 pm
first, there's the obstruction evidence laid out by mueller. that's what most democrats have been focussed on. there's a broader view that his cry crimes are not a proven method. a vote that drew 95 other democrats in july. that's door number two with 95 democrats impeaching for that. third, there's this topic that honestly might seem less weighty than obstruction of justice or hate but it's what's making news tonight with headlines like this. vanity far reporting the impeachment strategy is to bring back stormi daniels. now she says she's ready to testify before the house for this probe announcing she plans to be honest and adding bring it.
3:35 pm
good to see you maya. why do you think some democrats are pursuing what we're calling here door number three. many people will agree some of the other offenses are severe. first off let's say there's no reason they should limit themselves to one door. they can use all three. there's more than three. in terms of this particular case, it's because the evidence is so clear. in our campaign finance under campaign finance law if you are giving a thing of value, in this case we're talking about him having a problem that might interfere with donald trump's ability to be elected president. typically voters had not been so
3:36 pm
happy when presidents had a affairs. particularly with maybe pornography stars. we see and have evidence of 2015, they're suggested evidence he was in the room with michael cohen in 2015 talking about how david pecker could help them with the campaign through catch and kill stories. we have the audio tape with michael cohen having a conversation with donald trump about how he is going to pay off ami for karen mcdougal catch and kill story. all of that leads to the time he's running for office because remember, some of these affairs, stormi daniels was way before he was running for office in 2007. while all of a sudden did he need to pay her off.
3:37 pm
it was in order to protect him in an election and that is what the campaign finance laws are organized around. congress doesn't have to prove a crime. this is not a criminal proceedsing. this is not one they have the standards of proof that robert mueller has. that's why i say they can use all the doors but to your point really what's happening here is they are saying when the founding fathers created the impeachment process it's because they knew you couldn't necessarily wait for years for another election if you had someone who was corrupt and if you had someone who was just doing such a bad job that it was dangerous for the country.
3:38 pm
i want to play some of stormi daniels herself as she is potentially going to reemerge here. she did break her silence after the nda on 60 minutes sdplp was . >> was it hush money to stay silent? >> yes. the story was coming out again. i was concerned for my family and their safety. >> you said i'm not denying this affair because i was paid in hush money. i'm denying it because it never happened. that's a lie? >> yes. >> if it was untruthful, why did you sign it? >> because they made it sound like i had no choice. >> she'll get questions like that in a hearing with both parties as well, right? >> yes, she will. this is the point of an inquiry. all the electives get to ask the
3:39 pm
questions and they goat ask all the questions. what the american public deserves is to hear from the witnesses. what is it that happened and let the public draw up conclusion about who they believe. we're talking about a sitting president. we're talking about a process where it's absolutely squarely congress' responsibility to determine whether or not we have someone sit ting in the white house who actively commit a crime but they don't have to prove crime. they just have to prove the conduct. >> right. we always learn a lot and you really broke it down in the context of the different roads. thank you so much. mitch mcconnell is now come pl complaining about that nickname moscow mitch. he may not like another one. the latest high ranking trump official to become an industry lobbyist and what it has to do with what you see
3:40 pm
there. our famous friend the swamp creature. our famous friend the swamp creature otezla is not a cream. it's a pill that treats plaque psoriasis differently. with otezla, 75% clearer skin is achievable. don't use if you're allergic to otezla. it may cause severe diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting. otezla is associated with an increased risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or suicidal thoughts or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. upper respiratory tract infection and headache may occur. tell your doctor about your medicines and if you're pregnant or planning to be. otezla. show more of you. liberty mutual customizes your car insurance, so you only pay for what you need. i wish i could shake your hand. granted. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪
3:41 pm
so, every day, we put our latest technology and unrivaled network to work. the united states postal service makes more e-commerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country. e-commerce deliveries to homes you wouldn't accept from any one else. why accept it from your allergy pills? flonase relieves your worst symptoms including nasal congestion, which most pills don't. flonase helps block 6 key inflammatory substances. most pills only block one. flonase. stop struggling to clean tough messes with sprays. try clean freak! it has three times the cleaning power to dissolve kitchen grease on contact. it works great on bathtubs. and even stainless steel. try clean freak from mr. clean.
3:42 pm
3:43 pm
mitch mccon nk kocconnell i powerful member of congress. he earns plenty of criticism which he embraces. he agrees that he is the grim reaper. he fund raised off of it selling shirts with the cocaine mitch logo. he's made headlines for embracing his dark side because he welcomes the nickname darth vader. >> one morning walking up to dozens of reporters, their microphones ready to capture my words which they likely twist the next day in papers across the country. i welcome them by announcing dartt vader has arrived.
3:44 pm
>> classic mcconnell. he doesn't even care while still delighting in the mood of the authority of some kind of evil villain. no one denied his awesome power which he used to over power mortals and make his own deals. >> i find your lack of faith disturbing. >> i'm altering the deal. pray i don't alter it any further. >> you don't know the power of the dark side. >> vader determines the deal. every one else has to live with it. that's how mcconnell runs the senate which complicates the task of pressuring someone who claims to be impervious to pressure. the pressure is building. the washington post editorial section putting out this unusual full page call aimed right at mr. mcconnell demanding that he do something on gun safety and gun control. we turn now to bill crystal,
3:45 pm
former republican white house aide. good evening. you know vader a little bit? >> yeah. i think that's a bum rap to compare darth vader to mitch mcconnell. he was running the empire pretty well. it was a rwell run empire. mcconnell is stopping legislation from coming to the floor of the senate. >> bill crystal defends darth vader. you have been banging this drum that it's about gun policy. it's about whether in the wake of this mass shooting epidemic there's going to be democratic
3:46 pm
votes on this. explain. >> that's what's so extraordinary. the reason we have a senate is to debate these bills and mark them up in committee. debate them. the house has passed a couple of gun measures in the normal course of things. if they pass them and the president vetoes them and they want the votes to override, that's fine. same with election security legislation which has bipartisan support. passed the house. very important to a lot of secretaries of state around the country. republicans say they could use the help to make sure elections work securely. mcconnell not bringing them to floor. it's an issue of how the democracy is working. how congress is working. to be fair, mcconnell is doing it but he's doing it with the support of his republican colleagues. they could overrule him. >> that's what i want to dig in onto with you.
3:47 pm
will you permit me a slightly personal washington story? >> sure. >> i started out working as a junior aide in the u.s. senate. i remember the very elderly robert burg who was wrong about a great many things, but who was known as the in-house historian of the senate. he talked about the out rage when the senate would roll over and not do its duty. they were elected to go there and represent and not fold to whatever the president wanted. in that case he was fighting george w. bush on the war. i want to put that up in relief to what mitch mcconnell who spent his whole life getting to this position, as you say with or without the force and then does what? says i'm here to wait around and do what trump tells me to do and really implies that out loud which is a way sort of admitting there's no senatorial.
3:48 pm
>> i said if the president took a position on a bill, so that we knew, we would be making a law and not just having serial votes, i'd be happy to put it on the floor and if the president is in favor of a number of things that he has discussed openly and publicly and i know that we pass it, it will become law, i'll put it on the floor. >> bill is that backwards? >> why elect senators if they just not going to do anything unless they know ahead of time the president will sign the legislation. the military construction funds that various senators complaining about that the president is taking to use the wall, that's under an emergency declaration that the senate could overturn. about ten republicans voted to. that should be brought back up too. i think republican senators needs to be pressure put on the senator themselves to act like senators. >> yeah. always good to have your
3:49 pm
perspecti perspective. thank you. up ahead, all the promises to drain the swamp. wait till you see what another trump official is doing. we have fact check. trump official is doing. we have fact check i must admit. i had a few good tricks to help hide my bladder leak pad. like the old "tunic tug". you know it, right? but i don't have to, with always discreet. i couldn't believe the difference. it's less bulky. and it really protects. watch this. the super absorbent core turns liquid and odor to gel, and locks it away. so i have nothing to hide. always discreet. for bladder leaks. so, every day, we put our latest technology and unrivaled network to work. the united states postal service makes more e-commerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country. e-commerce deliveries to homes liberty mutual customizes your car insurance, hmm. exactly. so you only pay for what you need. nice. but, uh... what's up with your... partner?
3:50 pm
not again. limu that's your reflection. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty ♪ inalso available in hybridts kind leall wheel drive.sport. lease the 2019 ux 200 for $329 a month for 36 months. experience amazing at your lexus dealer. my hands are everything to me. but i was diagnosed with dupuytren's contracture. and it got to the point where things i took for granted got tougher to do. thought surgery was my only option. turns out i was wrong. so when a hand specialist told me about nonsurgical treatments, it was a total game changer. like you, my hands have a lot more to do. learn more at factsonhand.com today. like you, my hands have a lot more to do. when crabe stronger...strong, with new nicorette coated ice mint. layered with flavor... it's the first and only coated nicotine lozenge.
3:51 pm
for an amazing taste... ...that outlasts your craving. new nicorette ice mint. doprevagen is the number oneild mempharmacist-recommendeding? memory support brand. you can find it in the vitamin aisle in stores everywhere. prevagen. healthier brain. better life. mytill he signed up for atunitedhealthcareealth medicare complete. ♪ now, it's like he has his own health entourage. he gets medicare's largest healthcare network, a free gym membership, vision, dental and more. there's so much to take advantage of. can't wait till i'm 65. a few more chairs, please. unitedhealthcare medicare complete plans,
3:52 pm
the only plans with the aarp name. free dental care and eye exams, and free designer eyewear. go ahead, take advantage. to the wait did frowe just win-ners. prouders everyone uses their phone differently. that's why xfinity mobile let's you design your own data. now you can share it between lines. mix with unlimited, and switch it up at anytime so you only pay for what you need. it's a different kind of wireless network designed to save you money. save up to $400 a year on your wireless bill.
3:53 pm
plus get $250 back when you buy a new samsung note. click, call or visit a store today. this doesn't look like draining the swamp. a top trump official in charge of oil drilling on federal lands leaving government to join an oil company that is trying to expand drilling. donald trump gave joe balash,
3:54 pm
now he is joining drilling expeditions in alaska which appears to match with his government work advocating drilling in alaska. he says in the new role he will not directly lobby his old colleagues at the interior department. ryan zinke famously left amid all kinds of scandal and corruption and then took a job at a mining company. the current chief david bernhardt famously faced those activists in swamp creature masks. in fact, we spoke to one of them on "the beat." >> bernhardt has no place as secretary of interior, and he has multiple ethical conflicts of interest, and he has no place there. we really wanted to riff on president trump's favorite saying that he is going to drain the swamp. we actually think he is doing the opposite of that. he is propping up more folks. a lot of swampy, swampy people who have no place being in public office. >> the swampy people are not only the interior. look at his epa chief, his
3:55 pm
health secretary, a pharmaceutical lobbyist, defense secretary was a lobbyist for defense industry interests. while in government, mr. balash talked:00 what he wanted to do and why he wanted to cut regulations. >> were actually engaged in this novel approach where we're doing what the president said he would do, and that's something that not everybody's prepared for. >> that's false. donald trump said he would drain the swamp, which he is now flooding. and balash's work helping oil companies while in the trump administration has apparently led him to a job outside the trump administration doing the same thing. maybe the only thing that's really changed here is who's paying him. paying him ance, so you only pay for what you need. i wish i could shake your hand. granted. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪
3:56 pm
if you have moderate to thsevere rheumatoid arthritis, month after month, the clock is ticking on irreversible joint damage. ongoing pain and stiffness are signs of joint erosion. humira can help stop the clock. prescribed for 15 years, humira targets and blocks a source of inflammation that contributes to joint pain and irreversible damage. humira can lower your ability to fight infections. serious and sometimes fatal infections including tuberculosis, and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. help stop the clock on further irreversible joint damage. talk to your rheumatologist. right here. right now. humira.
3:57 pm
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ but super poligrip gives him a tight seal. snacking can mean that pieces get stuck under mike's denture. to help block out food particles. so he can enjoy the game. super poligrip.
3:58 pm
would shakespeare have chosen just "some pens?"s. methinks tul pens would serve m'lady well. thanks. and a unicorn notebook! get everything on your list. this week's doorbuster - 300-sheet paper ream for $1; $1 in store or online from the advisors at office depot officemax. that's why with dell small business technology advisors. you'll get tailored product solutions, expert tech advice and one-on-one partnership. call an advisor today at 877-buy-dell. ♪ did you know you can save money by using dish soap to clean grease on more than dishes? using multiple cleaners on grease can be expensive, and sometimes ineffective. for better value, tackle grease with dawn ultra. dawn is for more than just dishes. it provides 3x more grease cleaning power per drop, which cuts through tough kitchen messes, pre-treats laundry stains, and even tackles grease build-up on car rims. tackle tough greasy messes around your home, and save money with dawn ultra. brand power. helping you better.
3:59 pm
enterprise car sales and you'll take any trade-in?rom that's right! great! here you go... well, it does need to be a vehicle. but - i need this out of my house. (vo) with fair, transparent value for every trade-in... enterprise makes it easy. liberty mutual customizes your car insurance, hmm. exactly. so you only pay for what you need. nice. but, uh... what's up with your... partner? not again. limu that's your reflection. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty ♪ is donald trump is fictional president? sometimes it may seem like that. well, tomorrow, i'm thrilled to tell you we have a fictional author, the dejd dear and
4:00 pm
outspoken novelist salman rushdie, who is making his first ever appearance on this show. i hope you tune in for it. his new novel imagines a fake president who rose on the strength of the reality show "culture." we're going to get into all of it tomorrow on "the beat." that does it for us, though. "hardball" starts now. >> good evening. welcome to "hardball." i'm steve kornacki in for chris matthews. we've got a lot of politics to get to tonight, but first, we go to the southern states of the eastern seaboard. that is where millions are now poised to experience hurricane dorian's wrath for the very first time. dorian is moving parallel to the coast of georgia. it will scrape along the shores of south carolina tomorrow. residents there are bracing for that area's worst potential flooding in 30 years, according to nbc news.

68 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on