Skip to main content

tv   The Ed Show  MSNBC  April 30, 2012 8:00pm-9:00pm EDT

8:00 pm
women, the automobile loan and the death of the number one terrorist. tonight i'm going to set the record straight. this is "the ed show." let's get to work. >> i recommends that people take a look at people's previous statements in terms of whether they thought it was appropriate to go into pakistan and take out bin laden. >> mitt romney is running away from his rhetoric on bin laden, and he's digging a deeper hole in the process. >> richard wolffe on his disaster. time after time the republicans have gotten together and they've said no. >> the president makes the case to workers. republicans are the problem. >> i send them a jobs bill that would have put hundreds of thousands of construction workers back to work repairing road, bridge, transit systems. they still said no. howard fineman on the president's big speech on jobs. it was another war orn women train wreck. >> it's about policy and whether
8:01 pm
or not you want to fix the structure discrimination that women face that republicans don't believe is happening. >> joan walsh has the latest. paum ryan has a dirty little secret in his budget and the cooperations love it. david k. johnston on the tax shelter plan that no one is talking about. good to have you with us. thanks for watching. republicans have spent the last few days attacking the president for saying made the right call when he ordered the raid on bin laden. they have also hammered the president's team for questioning whether mitt romney would have made the same decision. the president is not backing down. >> i just recommend that everybody take a look at people's previous statements in whether they thought it was appropriate to go into pakistan and take out bin laden. i assume that people meant what they said when they said it.
8:02 pm
that's been, at least, my practice. i said that i'd go after bin laden if we had a clear shot at him, and i did. if there are others who have said one thing and now suggest they'd do something else, then i'd go ahead and let them explain. >> the president was responding to a remark mitt romney made earlier today. >> would you have gone after bin laden? >> you would have given the order? >> of course. even jimmy carter would have given that order. >> mitt romney tried to use jimny carter has a distraction. this is what he said about bin laden during his 2008 campaign. it's not worth moving heaven and earth spending billions of dollars just to try to catch one person. to set the record straight, jimmy carter gave that order. he approved the helicopter rescue of the american hostages in iran. the failure of that mission really raised the stakes of the bin laden raid which was called
8:03 pm
on by president obama. president obama made good on a promise that he made on the campaign trail. >> if we have bin laden in our sights and the pakistani government is unable or unwilling to take them out, then i think that we have to act, and we will take them out. we will kill bin laden. we will crush al qaeda. that has to be our biggest national security priority. >> right after he took office he told leon panetta to make finding bin laden his to priority. this guy dismantled the bin laden unit. >> i don't know where he is. i just don't spend that much time on it. we hasn't heard much from him. i wouldn't necessarily say he's at the center of any command structure. again, i don't know where he is. i repeat what i said.
8:04 pm
i am not that concerned about him. >> history will prove george w. bush took his eye off the ball. six months after the attack bush had thrown finding him. bush was too focused on his next project, invading iraq which he immediately political sized. he celebrated the end of major combat operations in iraq after mission accomplished, 4,347 more troops died. conservatives want to turn national security into a political football criticizing president obama and anyone else who says taking out bin laden was the right thing to do. romney advisor broke out the hypocrisy this weekend. >> this is one of reasons president obama has become one of the most devicive presidents in american history. took something that was a unifying event for all
8:05 pm
americans. an event that governor romney congratulating him and the military for completing the mission in terms of killing bin laden, and he's managed to turn it into a devisive attack. i think people will see it as a sign of a desperate campaign. >> that's not how he felt back in 2004 and helped push the argument that electing john kerry would make this country less safe. the bush team went as far as saying if you didn't vote for w there would be another terrorist attack. >> it's absolutely essential that on november 2nd we make the right choice. if the wrong choice is we may get hit again. it will be devastating in the standpoint of the united states. >> no one was better at dividing america than the bushes. >> in an increasingly dangerous
8:06 pm
world even after the first terrorist attack on america, john kerry and the liberals in congress voted to slash america's intelligence operations by $6 billion. cuts so deep they would have weakened america's defenses and weakness attracts those who are waiting to do america harm. >> i'm george w. bush and i approve this message. today republicans are hoping we have national security am meez ya. they want you to forget about the fear mongering they did in 2004 and they want you to forget one year ago president obama delivered on his biggest campaign promise to capture or kill bin laden. romney has never made a decision remotely as significant in his entire political career. his only foreign policy experience is vacationing in france and hiding cash in the
8:07 pm
cayman. i think mitt romney can clear this whole thing up if he comes out and gives a speech on foreign policy and explains what experience he really has. if he can't do it, maybe ed gilespie can tell us how good their candidate is. what has he done? the only 3:00 a.m. phone call he's gotten is probably from the dogcatcher. the bottom line is mitt romney is probably the least experienced candidate that the republicans have ever put forward for foreign policy. that's why they're trying to degrade every move that president obama has made. they'll take out more commercials to say it. get your cell phones out. i want to know what you think. who has done more to divide the country over national security? text a for republicans. text b for democrats. you can go to our blog at ed.msnbc..com. you ought to be able to do that. this is a hot topic. we'll bring the results later in
8:08 pm
the show. joining me tonight is richard wolffe. good to have you with us tonight. >> thanks. >> why do you think they are dogging the obama administration so much on national security? is it because mitt romney can't speak to this with any experience at all? >> i think there's something deeper going on here. for many years the bush administration, conservative, republicans have felt they had a monopoly on this idea of having a strong foreign policy. there's lots of conservatives out there. politicians who said a year ago that this wasn't really because of president obama. this was really the result of the bush policies and their intelligence efforts. they want the credit. they don't feel that this president or democrats in general should have any credit for having a strong foreign policy. the premise of the entire republican contest was this president has appeased america's
8:09 pm
enemies and engaged in working to help america's enemies and undermine its allies. they said that time and time again. that's what romney has said. this facts don't fit what they want or what they think the reality is. >> where does this all fit on the hypocrisy scale for republicans? this has been a big weekend for lies and distortions. this is one of the biggest ones, but where does this fit in your opinion? >> of course it's hypocrite cal. there's something far worse going on here. there is actually the kind of politics that we saw through the last eight years of the bush administration and through this whole republican contest which is the politics of fear. it's not just about tone. say you agree with their premise, which i don't, but say you agree there's some politics going on around this anniversary for the obama folks. let's compare the politics.
8:10 pm
you've got a concerted effort through 2004 and beyond saying that president bush was going to keep us safe even when the eft from iraq and elsewhere is we were less safe. there was the idea that fear is what we needed to expand the government. they say it's such a terrible thing when it expands on homeland security, illegal and unwarranted wiretapping. you have a whole range of things where the politics is fear. the war on terror was expanded. it's being wrong on the policy. >> i think the president is doing a great job by reminding the american people of just how big a lift this was and how he came in and refocused the entire team ongoing out and getting the world's number one terrorist. the question is, is mitt romney going to be able to shake the etch a sketch, so to speak and really live up to his comments that he made back several years ago when he was running in 2007 and 2008 or is this going to haunt him throughout the campaign?
8:11 pm
>> what mitt romney has said, he's made it clear that he has a very low bar for military action in iran. he thinks that withdrawal from iraq was a disaster. remember it's not just about the order to kill here. the order to go ahead with the mission with bin laden. it was having a singular focus on degrading the core leadership. that could only happen because this preponderate was winding down the operations in iraq and devoted right people to going after al qaeda's leadership. this question is are his national security priorities correct? give whan we have seen of his rhetoric on iran, the chances are he wants to go back into war at the slightest drop of a hint of aggression. >> i don't think mitt romney understands the gravity of some of the decisions that are made in the oval office. i think he owes jimmy carter an apology. jimmy carter put lives on the line and made a tough call and then had to abort the mission.
8:12 pm
mitt romney, for him to say that jimmy carter would have made that call. what do you make of romney's cheap shot? i make it's just that. it's low rent. it's cheap shot. romney's never been tlp and never done that. he doesn't know what it's like to make a decision like that. fo invoke a former president and his action and to degrade him like that. your thoughts? i haven't seen this before. >> jimmy carter is a prickly character. here is a president that had a ten times better jobs record than president bush did. he was responsible for camp david. that's not a bad record for anyone. it's time tom pay a little bit more respect than that. >> always great to have you with us. thank you. remember to answer tonight's question at the bottom of the screen and share your thoughts on twitter. we want to know what you think. coming up, republicans say president obama can't run on his accomplishments. the president is proving them
8:13 pm
dead wrong. howard fineman is here to talk about the latest obama campaign strategy. everyone is talking about how apple gets away with paying so little in taxes. congressman paul ryan's budget would make it even easier for big companies to avoid taxes. no one is talk about it. it's that dirty little secret in the ryan plan. stay with us. companies look at you and just see a policy. at aviva, we do things differently. we're bringing humanity back to life insurance. that's why only aviva rewards you with savings for getting a check-up. it's our wellness for life program, with online access to mayo clinic. see the difference at avivausa.com. thor's couture gets the most rewards of any small business credit card. [ garth ] thor's small business earns double miles
8:14 pm
on every purchase, every day! here's my spark card. and here's your wool. why settle for less? great businesses deserve the most rewards! the spiked heels are working. wow! who are you wearing? uhhh, his cousin. [ male announcer ] the spark business card from capital one. choose unlimited rewards with double miles or 2% cash back on every purchase, every day! wait! your boa. what's in your wallet?
8:15 pm
coming up, president obama goes on offense and is calling out republican obstruction. we'll play his new ad and i'll talk to howard fineman on that subject coming up. rachel maddow takes on republicans claiming there's no pay gap between men and women. we'll give commentary. the president takes on the gop talking points at the white house correspondence dinner. we'll play the highlights. share your thoughts on twitter. we're right back. d then treats . well, shoot, that's like checkingn your burgers after they're burnt!
8:16 pm
[ male announcer ] treat your frequent artburn by blocking the acid with prilosec otc. and don't get heartburn in the first place! [ male announc ] one pl a day. 24 hos. zero heartburn. all at 150 calories or less, there's definitely a temptations for you. unless you're one of those people who doesn't like delicious stuff. temptations. it's the first jell-o that's just for adults. it's kind of a big deal. chex has five flavors that are gluten-free. even a cinnamon one the kids love. the word "wow" comes to mind. [ male announcer ] chex cereal. five flavors. good and gluten free.
8:17 pm
president obama made his pitch to the american worker today. he spoke to the members of the building trades union about the republican anti-labor agenda. >> over the last year i sent congress a whole series of jobs bills to put people to work, to put your members back to work, and time after time, the republicans have gotten together and they've said no. the easiest bill to pass in washington used to be getting roads and bridges built because it's not like only democrats are allowed to use these things.
8:18 pm
everybody is permitted. >> republicans spent the last three years obstructing the president's economic agenda. now the gop says president obama has no record to run on. the obama team is proving them wrong with a seven-minute campaign ad highlighting the president's accomplishments. >> the president's stimulus plan saved up to 4.2 million jobs including teachers, construction workers, police and firefighters working to build a stronger america. when a flag ship of the american economy was going down, his auto rescue forced companies and workers to retool and restructure saving 1.1 million jobs. >> the final two minutes of the ad is a rolling list of accomplishments accomplishments. it focuses on nearly 30 policy achievements. the ad doesn't shy away from calling out republicans from stopping many of these calls. >> vote no. >> vote no. >> republicans are getting wrap as the party of no.
8:19 pm
>> yesterday not a single republican voted for the bill. the merits of the legislation had little to do with it. >> our top priority should be to deny president obama a second term. >> it would be one thing if they were acting on behalf of the american people but they have opposed plans the american people have favored. take for instance the jobs bill. when the president introduced it, 63% of the country was in favor of it. a tax on income over $1 million was proposed to pay for the jobs bill. as recently as february 665% of americans supported it. republicans said no to all of it. the gop is protecting .2% of the american people at the expense of the rest of the country of what the president was talking about today. republicans have also attacked the very people who need the economic security. president obama reminded the union crowd today about the attack on the middle class.
8:20 pm
>> if you ask them what's their big economic plan in addition to tax cuts for rich folks, it's dismantling your unions. after all you've done to build and protect the middle class. they make the argument you're responsible for the problems. >> the republican strategy has been economic obstruction and middle class destruction. president obama is right to call them out on it. i find it interesting he goes to the union and speaks like this in such a frank manner because there's a lot of union people who just don't vote democrat. in fact, there's a pretty healthy percentage of them. all this talk about how the unions are in the back pockets of the democrats, if they vote their own economic interest, a lot of them will make the turn in november. that's what the obama administration is counting on. let's turn to howard fineman. great to have you with us tonight. >> hi, ed. >> how does this play in states
8:21 pm
like ohio and pennsylvania? >> first of all, let me say as far as the union workers, in the previous segment you were talking about barack obama as commander in chief, that plays there. as far as the economy is concerned, david, xelrod thinks there's more spots of good news around the country than people inside the beltway have yet grasped. we're about six months behind the curve. i think they are hoping the obama campaign is hoping by bragging about their accomplish mentes, there's a lot of good things that the president has done and attempted to do. it's worth taking that positive tone, they feel, because that's going to help bring out whatever other positive news there is around here.
8:22 pm
they are hoping by the summer and the fall that the american people will understand that. >> the president was talking about infrastructure spending today and brought up another president. here it is. >> ronald reagan said rebuilding our infrastructure is common sense. an investment in tomorrow that we need to make. ronald reagan said that. that great socialist, ronald reagan. couldn't get through a republican primary these days. >> very profound point there. can the president and the democrats win over these reagan independents, so to speak? these reagan democrats or these republicans that normally say they're independent but then they slide to the right when it comes time to vote. this is who the president has got to win over. your thoughts. >> it's hard to do but he's got to try. he's got to spend a lot of the campaign trying. foreign policy commander in chief is part of it. the notion that the invest ms
8:23 pm
that were made, the efforts that were made are beginning to pay off and there's tangible evidence of it, is important. i thought what was significant about the seven-minute ad is it didn't mention the millionaire's tax. it doesn't mention the buffet rule. it wasn't playing on the populous theme. it was saying there are things we have done here, there are things that help you, that help your family, that will help you and your family in the future. that we're beginning to take hold. we're beginning to get traction on. that's classic incumbent's pitch for a second term. it's an interesting fact is that the obama campaign felt there was enough of case to make that they should make it right away. i completely agree with them. if they don't brag about what there is to brag about, nobody else will do it for them. >> there's going to be an avalanche of negtivity. they will have to brag a little more than normal. a column blames republicans for
8:24 pm
washington gridlock. is this a convincing argument for middle class americans? >> well, i saw that article and the guys who wrote that are very serious people. they are very even handed. i think it's a case that president obama is making, will make and i think it will have some success in making because you show the clips of mitch mcconnell and john boehner and the others saying no that our entire theory is to stop president obama, stop his programs and his platform. they have been quite frank about their oppositional approach. paul ryan has a plan. there's been a republican proposal here and there. by in large the republicans have defined themselves in opposition to barack obama. they've been very frank about it. the president is going to call them on it and dry to deepen that impression of blame as the
8:25 pm
campaign is under way. it's clear what the strategy is. blame the republicans for obstructionism. claim credit for whatever economic successes there have been and attack the heck out of mitt romney. you saw it on display today. >> thanks. a republican strategist and former romney advisor says women are not paid less than men. rachel serves him the facts. joan walsh will weigh in. president obama saves the american automobile industry, so the romney camp says it was mitt romney's idea. you don't want to plisz this one. stay with us. ♪ na, na...
8:26 pm
♪ na, na-na, na [ men ] ♪ hey, hey, hey ♪ goodbye [ flushing ] ♪ [ both ] ♪ na, na... [ woman ] ♪ na, na-na, na [ men ] ♪ hey, hey, hey ♪ good-bye [ male announcer ] with kohler's powerful, high-efficiency toilets. flush. and done. [ all ] ♪ hey, hey, hey ♪ good-bye why you fell in love with her in the first place. and why you still feel the same. but your erectile dysfunction -- that could be a question of blood flow. cialis for daily use helps you be ready anytime the moment's right. you can be more confident in your ability to be ready. and the same cialis is the only daily ed tablet approved to treat ed and symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently or urgently. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medications, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sexual activity. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain,
8:27 pm
as this may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess with cialis. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or if you have any allergic reactions such as rash, hives, swelling of the lips, tongue or throat, or difficulty breathing or swallowing, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis for daily use and a 30-tablet free trial.
8:28 pm
ask your doctor about cialis for daily use but don't just listen to me. listen to these happy progressive customers. i plugged in snapshot, and 30 days later, i was saving big on car insurance. i was worried it would be hard to install. but it's really easy. the better i drive, the more i save. i wish our company had something this cool. yeah. you're not... filming this, are you? aw! camera shy. snapshot from progressive. plug into the savings you deserve with snapshot from progressive.
8:29 pm
republicans are trying to deny there's a gop war on women. now they are trying to deny that women have been paid less for equal work. women make just 77 cents for every dollar a man makes in america yet gop consultant went on "meet the press" yesterday to challenge the fact. she's voted against the lilly ledbetter fair pay act unfortunately for her. fortunately for those who seek the truth, rachel maddow was there to set them both straight. >> women this this country still make 77 cents on the dollar for what men make. women don't make less than men? >> actually, if you start
8:30 pm
looking at the numbers, rachel, there are lots of reasons for that. >> don't tell me the reasons. do women make less than men? wow. okay. we're working from different fact pps. >> men work 44 hours a week. women work 41 hours a week. men go into engineering, science and math. >> this is not a math is hard part. no it isn't. >> yes, it is. >> let rachel frame it. >> women are making 77 cents on the dollar for what men are making. >> that's not true. >> let rachel make her point. >> every greedy men would hire only women, save 25%. >> it's weird that you're interrupting me and let me make my point because we get along so well. let me make my point. the interruption is important because we know that women are not fairing worse than men in the economy. women aren't getting paid less for equal work. that's a difference in factual understanding of the world.
8:31 pm
given that some of us believe that women are getting paid less than men for doing the same work. there's something called the fair pay act. the stau chut of limit taxs starts before you know that discrimination is happening cutting off your recourse. you didn't know you were being discriminated, you can't go. the first law passed by the administration to remedy that court ruling. mitt romney campaign put you out as a surrogate to sure up people's feelings about this issue after they could not say whether or not mitt romney would sign that bill. you're supposed to make us feel better about it. you voted against the fair pay act. it's about policy and whether or not you want to fix some of the discrimination that women really do face that republicans don't believe is happening. >> it's policy is the argument. >> it's policy. i love how passionate you are. i wish you are as right about what you were saying. >> that's really konds sending.
8:32 pm
>> my passion is me making a factual argument on it mp. >> joan, great to have you with us. the u.s. census bureau reports among people who worked year round and full-time in 2009 men earned 46,000 and women earned 77 cents for every dollar earned by men. i don't know what this dude alex doesn't get but he called this an old discredited liberal myth. why doesn't the republican party admit the number because that's what it is and say we have some work to do. your thoughts. >> it's a fascinating question. there's so many things that what he did that need to be commented on. one of them was starting out by saying well, no it's not true and then quickly saying it is true but there are reasons. they are trying to have it both ways desperately. the facts are exactly as rachel laid them out.
8:33 pm
you know and i know you can break down individual coherts of workers and things look a little bit different. there is a pay gap. it's big. it's troublesome. they don't want to admit it. >> he was trying to say hours worked. men work longer than women. >> right. >> it is about pay. mitt romney needs to square himself with the american people on this. would he vote or would he move to change the lilly ledbetter fair pay act. this is a fundamental question now going into this? where does he stand on women in the workplace? the laws name sake, she's not buying it. she was up in new hampshire campaigning for the president today and said that doesn't mean he woent because he has been known to flip-flop quite a bit. well said. it would seem to me that romney's got to be clear on this on how kneels about the law. >> even if you say the gab is
8:34 pm
smaller. why wouldn't you ban discrimination and why wouldn't you create mechanisms like lilly ledbetter does to enforce those laws. that's what's going on. even if alex is right and men do work marginally more than women, that's a six point pay gap and not a 23 point. women want flexibility. women pay disproportionately for having children and health care. that is sexism. however you want to explain it or slice it or dice it, it all comes down to sexism. >> i was waiting for the romney campaign making a statement saying he doesn't speak for us. how do the republicans make up ground with women when they have exchanges like that? >> right. women across america, i watched twitter and facebook explode in
8:35 pm
joy when rachel slapped him down. he really was a condescending jerk. if the world were equal and democrats had to do what republicans do, rom would have to answer. >> great to have you with us. thank you. there's a lot more coming up. stay with us. >> they went to that bankruptcy process. it's what mitt romney told him to do. >> the romney etch a sketch is getting a work out. he's lying about the auto loan and we're calling him out. paul ryan wants big business to be able to hide more money offshore. the president had us rolling in the aisles this weekend. >> in my first term we ended the war in iraq. in my second term, i will win the war on christmas.
8:36 pm
>> we'll tell you why his comedy routine was even better than you thought. ♪ what started as a whisper every day, millions of people choose to do the right thing. there's an insurance company that does that, too. liberty mutual insurance. responsibility. what's your policy? we asked total strangers to watch it for us. thank you so much, i appreciate it, i'll be right back. they didn't take a dime. how much in fees does your bank take to watch your money ? if your bank takes more money than a stranger, you need an ally. ally bank.
8:37 pm
no nonsense. just people sense. to get people to try on these new depend silhouettbriefs,ca and today we are rocking the red carpet. look it's lisa rinna! lisa hiii,i know you don't need one but will you try on these new depend silhouette briefs for charity and prove just how great the fit is even under a fantastic dress? are you serious? i am serious... sure why not! she's doing it! the best protection now looks, fits and feels just like underwear. hey lisa, who ya wearing? she's wearing the new depend silhouette. (growl) we invite you to get a free sample and try one on too. so i test... a lot. do you test with this? freestyle lite test strips? i don't see... beep! wow! that didn't take much blood. yeah, and the unique zipwik tab targets the blood and pulls it in. so easy. yep. freestyle lite needs just a third the blood of onetouch ultra. really? so testing is one less thing i have to worry about today. great. call or click today and get strips and a meter free.
8:38 pm
test easy. mcallen, texas. in here, heavy rental equipment in the middle of nowhere, is always headed somewhere. to give it a sense of direction, at&t created a mobile asset solution to protect and track everything. so every piece of equipment knows where it is, how it's doing or where it goes next. ♪ this is the bell on the cat. [ male announcer ] it's a network of possibilities -- helping you do what you do... even better. ♪ helping you do what you do... even better. recently, students from 31 countries took part in a science test. the top academic performers surprised some people. so did the country that came in 17th place. let's raise the bar and elevate our academic standards. let's do what's best for our students-by investing in our teachers. let's solve this.
8:39 pm
welcome back. there's a provision tucked away in the paul ryan budget and it's getting virtually no attention. the ryan plan, which of course the republicans voted on, the ryan plan would grease the skids for major corporations to out source profits so they can get away with not paying their fair share of tax pps look no further than apple computers. apple has offices in ireland, netherlandss and the british virgin islandss to take full advantage of tax loopholes. it's all legal, of course. there's even a cool name for avoiding all those taxes. the tax accountants call it a double irish with a dutch sandwich. the bottom line is a company
8:40 pm
like walmart pays a tax rate of 24%. apple pays 9.8%. the republican budget guru, congressman paul ryan of wisconsin, chairman of the house budget committee would make it even easier for bigger corporations to outsource profits and hide income from the internal revenue service. ryans plan would introduce a so-called territorial tax system exempting offshore profits from u.s. income tax. let's turn to david k. johnston johnston. we know what the companies are doing. it's been well documented. what would this tax do that's in this ryan plan which the republicans voted on, where would this take us? >> it would encourage companies to do is take all their property
8:41 pm
that they haven't move and anything else they can out of country so that they earn a dollar here in the u.s. and they show it to their shareholders and may magically send it to the cayman islands and it disappears to the i.r.s. even if they are making things here in the u.s., they'll be able to move profits out of the country by having their property out of the country. secondly, if they find place that has similar rules then you move the jobs offshore and you can still earn tax free profits. >> this would really grease the skids for more outsourcing of jobs, would it not? >> absolutely, ed. here is the magic words you need to hear from somebody that really wants to reform the system. no more separate company accounting. that's the phrase to remember. to the tax man these companies are thousands of companies, not one company. they have different tax rules. if they are treated as a single
8:42 pm
company, no multiple company accounting, only single company accounting then all of that game playing can stop. >> this could rob the united states -- i say rob. i think rob is the correct word here. you make a dollar on our soil with american workers, you got to pay tax on that profit. this, of course, in the ryan plan, the territorial tax hasn't gotten any attention what so ever. this is robbing the treasury. how damaging would this be? >> it could be very devastating to us. here is an interesting thing to think about. from 1961 to 2011, that's half a century, the amount of the economy, that's the corporate income tax fell by 2.8%. it's now only 1.8%. social security security tax went up by the amount that the corporate incomes tax fell. it's working people, it's not companies, who made up for the
8:43 pm
corporate income tax. they're goal is to get it to zero. >> it will never see the light of day in the senate. this is where the republicans want to go if they get power. this will grease the skids of the corporations. they will get their pockets lined with corporation do nations. this is how the game is going to work. mitt romney says, he loves the ryan plan. he called it a marvelous budget. a marvelous plan. according to the citizens for tax justice, the ryan plan would cut on the richest 10% and raise taxes on the bottom 90% and reduce revenue by 2 trillion dollars over ten years. do you believe those numbers? >> yes, absolutely. i came up with a similar conclusion. this is a redistribution plan. take from the many, give to the already rich. the republicans have told us
8:44 pm
that they know america's economic problem. it's that the rich don't have enough and they have a solution. they're going to take it from working people and the poor and the disabled and the children so the rich can have more and then everything will be great. >> i don't know how paul ryan could do any media interviews anywhere without being asked about the territorial tax. it's new. it's in the budget and it's something that could just hurt our economy and our treasury even more. david cay johnston, you're the best. president obama's greatest economic achievement was really mitt romney's idea. did you know that? that's according to a top romney advisor. we'll take a closer look at that. stay with us. 11 years playing the outfield, and i got no plans to retire. [ female announcer ] aging may slow a dog down, but iams helps keep dogs playing year after year with our age-specific nutrition. and now, even for dogs 11 and older
8:45 pm
with new iams senior plus. it helps boost the immune response to that of an adult dog and helps fight signs of aging. [ dog ] i'll never be a bench-warmer. [ female announcer ] new iams senior plus. see the iams difference or your money back. [ dog ] i am an iams dog for life. and i thought "i can't do this, it's just too hard." then there was a moment. when i decided to find a way to keep going. go for olympic gold and go to college too. [ male announcer ] every day we help students earn their bachelor's or master's degree for tomorrow's careers. this is your moment. let nothing stand in your way. devry university, proud to support the education of our u.s. olympic team.
8:46 pm
president obama played comedian in chief at this weekend's white house correspondence dinner. we'll play the highlights. don't forget to tweet us. we're right back. great grains cereal starts whole and stays whole. see the seam? more processed flakes look nothing like natural grains. i'm eating what i know is better nutrition. mmmm. great grains. search great grains and see for yourself. i'm an expert on softball. and tea parties. i'll have more awkward conversations than i'm equipped for because i'm raising two girls on my own. i'll worry about the economy more than a few times before they're grown. but it's for them, so i've found a way. who matters most to you says the most about you. massmutual is owned by our policyholders so they matter most to us. massmutual. we'll help you get there.
8:47 pm
8:48 pm
welcome back. the romney campaign now says president obama's greatest economic achievement was actually mitt romney's idea. here is romney advisor. >> the fact that the audiotato companies today are profitable is because they shed costs. the reason they shed costs and got employee labor contracts is because they went through that managed bankruptcy process. it's exactly what mitt romney told them to do. consider that the crown jewel. the only economic success that president obama has had is because he followed mitt romney's advice. >> hold the phone here. you know what's happening here. you got mitt romney running from his own printed word.
8:49 pm
i seem to remember his op-ed four years ago, let detroit go bankrupt. he did not support those auto loans during the republican debates. >> should they have used the funds to bail out general motors and chrysler? no. >> it was the auto loans that made the difference in the world. president obama signed off on billions of loans to the automobile industry because he wasn't going to stand by and let detroit go bankrupt. it's not a popular decision at the time. now general motors is number one until the world again. it's time for mitt romney's etch a sketch moment. the advisor who said it was his idea is the same advisor that said this. >> i think he hit a reset button for the fall campaign. everything changes. it's almost like an etch a sketch. you can shake it up and start all over again. >> you can't change the facts. romney would have let detroit go bankrupt.
8:50 pm
it could have cost hundreds of thousands of jobs. up next, president obama responds to his krcritics at th white house correspondence dinner. we have the jokes. one serving of cereal, a baseball. and one serving of fruit, a tennis ball. - you know, both parties agree. our kids can be healthier... the more you know. it's kind of a big deal. chex has five flavors that are gluten-free. even a cinnamon one the kids love. the word "wow" comes to mind. [ male announcer ] chex cereal. five flavors. good and gluten free. they sound awesome tonight.
8:51 pm
and when i do find it, i share it with the world. you landed the u.s. tour ? done. this is fantastic ! music is my life and i want to make the most of it without missing a beat. fly without putting your life on pause. be yourself nonstop. american airlines.
8:52 pm
ed show survey tonight. i asked who has done more to divide the country over national security. 95% say the republicans. 5% say the democrats. coming up, president poked fun at himself and his republican opponents at saturday night's white house correspondence dinner. we'll bring you highlights next. don't forget to listen to my radio show. sirius xm channel 127. follow me on twitter and like the ed show on facebook.
8:53 pm
♪ [ female announcer ] life is full of little tests, but bounty basic can handle them. in this lab demo, bounty basic is stronger than the leading bargain brand. everyday life. bring it with affordably priced bounty basic. free-credit-score-dot-com'sur boargonna direct you ♪ts ♪ ♪ to check your credit score before it gets too late ♪ ♪ and you end up strapped for cash ♪ ♪ patching your board with duct tape ♪ ♪ so hit free-credit-score-dot-com ♪ ♪ find out what credit's about ♪ ♪ or else you could be headed for a credit wipeout ♪ offer applies with enrollment in freecreditscore.com™.
8:54 pm
i know at this point many of you are expecting me to go after my likely opponent, newt gingrich. newt, there's still time man. >> president obama at the white house correspondence dinner saturday night. i was there enjoying it. my wife was there enjoying it. i thought the president did a fantastic job poking fun at his rivals as well as his candidates. stories about dogs and news cycles have been stories over the past week. now we all know mitt romney strapped his dog to the roof of the car but in response right wingers dug up an old detail
8:55 pm
from president obama's memoir where he recalls being served dog meat as a child. he hit back with a fake super pac ad. take a look. >> i know everybody's is predicting a nasty election. we have all agreed that families are off limits. dogs, however, are apparently fair game. while both campaigns have had some fun with this, the other day i saw a new ad from one of these outside groups that frankly, i think crossed the line. i know governor romney says he has no control over what his super pacs do, but can we show the ad real quick. >> back in 1983, you took your dog on a 12 hour road trip tied to the roof of your car in a kennel. >> he climbed up there regularly, enjoyed himself.
8:56 pm
my guess is he liked it a lot better in his kennel than he would have liked it inside. >> finally, a candidate with the courage to fight for a dog's freedom to feel the wind in his fur. what about barack obama? under his failed leadership man's best friend has been forced into government controlled automobiles. just imagine the european style dog socialism obama has planned for the next four years. more government hand outs. a life of government dependency. indoctrinating our children, a left wing social agenda leading from behind. ♪ in the arms of the angel >> america's dogs can't afford four more years of obama. for them that's 28 years. our dogs need leadership now. >> who let the dogs out?
8:57 pm
who, who? >> this guy. that's why we need to join mitt romney in sending a message this november. i'm an american, and doggone it, i ride outside. paid for by the woofpac. [ applause ] >> that's pretty rough, but i can take it. my stepfather told me it's a boy eat dog world out there. >> the president took other right wingers criticism of his job as president. conservatives are trying to hit the president on like blt. they say he's too cool. neocons who lied about iraq said he lied. well, the president gave those critics a preview into what a second term of what president obama would be like. >> if i do win a second term as
8:58 pm
president, let me just say something to all the, let me just say something to all my conspiracy other yentsed friends on the right who think i'm planning to unleash some secret agenda. you're absolutely right. allow me to close with a quick preview of the secret agenda you can expect in a second obama administration. in my first term i sang al green. in my second term, i'm going with young jeezy. michelle said yeah. i sing this to her sometime. in my first term we ended the war in iraq. in my second term i will win the
8:59 pm
war on christmas. in my first term we repealed the policy known as don't ask, don't tell. [ applause ] >> wait. in my second term we will replace it as a policy known as it's raining men. in my first term we passed health care reform. in my second term, i guess i'll pass it again. >> that's "the ed show." thanks for joining us tonight. "the rachel maddow show" starts right now. good evening, rachel. congratulations. great job yesterday on "meet the press press." >> i prepared for it by making you drinks. >> you're a gamer. i could

112 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on