Skip to main content

tv   Government Access Programming  SFGTV  March 20, 2019 4:00am-5:01am PDT

4:00 am
the tiniest spill could be hundreds of dollars and days missed of work an opportunities missed with family and friends. i didn't personally know tess, i am shaken up. i'm tess, my husband is tess, my best friends. i wear a helmet, wear gloves, i'm a defencive rider and that only goes so far and we need your help in protecting us. >> thank you. next speaker. >> julie, jodie, jeff. >> if your name was called, please line up to follow this speaker. >> hi, name julie woda, i live in outer parkside. i know how to bike because of a class. and i now teach those class. if we meet our climate goals and we want more people on bicycles, we have to create a network in thecy to allow them to actually
4:01 am
use the skills we're teaching them in a way to feel safe and protected. outer parkside it is terrifying sometimes to walk as it is to ride a bike downtown. and so i really encourage you to take this tragedy and see behind howard, see behind fulsome, see beyond to the larger corridors throughout the city and build a productive place for all of our citizens. thank you. >> thank you, next speaker, please. >> jodie, jeff and cole. >> good afternoon. my name is jodie mederos, i'm the executive director of walk san francisco. it has been only ten weeks in 2019 and we have lost five week walking ang one person on a bicycle. lucy morales, nancy ing, jose emanuel, janice higoshi and
4:02 am
tett. this is more than a wake-up crawl. we are asking you are proactive and do the following. we're speeding up the pace on the high injury network and getting the term safety improvements on 100% of the network by to 20. 2020. this is where the city can make a life-saving difference now. there are many inexpensive treatments and we know this can happen and this is very proactive. further becausbecause we know ce happening with no time to waste. we're asking for a cost assessment for all of vision zero because we don't know what it will cost to get to zero and this is something that makes complete sense. our efforts, city's efforts should not be stalled or held up by insif insufficient funding or staffing. we're asking for 100% transparency and accountability for the high injury network projects. we currently don't have a way of tracking the progress to date. how many projects are complete
4:03 am
and how many more of the one hundred plus streets in the high injury network do we have to go and what projects do the city aim to do first and then next? we still don't know. we're asking this leadership body be the watchdog for vision zero. delays are costly, people are paying with their lives. and just trying to go about their daily business. we don't feel like we have any time to waste. thank you very much. >> thank you very much for all of your efforts. next speaker, please. >> jeff farlow, cole benefitbred then nun. >> around here i have previously been a lead rock climber. i've ridden motor cycles across country and fly small aircraft. i find it easier to get people in a small plane with me and find it easier to take a visitor
4:04 am
to san francisco to show them the city on bicycle. everyone almost who comes to visit he, i take them in a car because they feel unsafe and i feel unsafe. bicycling in frenz san franciscs the most dangerous thing i do and the number one reason i don't take a trip is because i feel unsafe. i was doored on howard street and have seen bike lanes comes into play after people were glueing barriers into place themselves. today sfmta will cite 4,000 cars in the city of san francisco and that statistics is constant over a period of nine months. today, san francisco will fight 25 cars for being in a bicycle lane. it would be less than the work of any individual enforcer over the course of a day and that is consistent. and today, many more than 25
4:05 am
vehicles will park in a protective bike lane to go to a store or just think it's a good place to the car. easier parking. i would like to be a in place where i feel like we're not dragging the board to react to something, to a section of lane in place. i'd like to feel like there's a decision here that's leading and making the complete path and not the patch. and when do we want it? for howard street, march 7t 7th would have been a nice day. >> next speaker, please. >> cole brennan, nun and jonathan gabot. >> good afternoon. i'm here to ask for a complete network of protected bike lanes, including intersection designs. i walk, take transit and i bike but i don't bike as much as i used to or as much as i would like to.
4:06 am
i don't bike because i'm often scared and honestly curious about the incessant concept of motorists, parking and loading in the bike zone. this conflict is inevitable in the current street designs. safe designs are well-known and infrastructure is what works, paint does not. i want slower traffic speeds. i want fewer cars and i want the safe physically protected bike network that we all know are possible. the protected bike lanes need to include intersections and need to be installed in every neighborhood to help the city meet goals for vision zero, for clear air and climate change. thank you. >> jonathan, michael. >> i came here one time before and it was to speak about gun
4:07 am
violence and they said it's not about gun violence. it was about the sport's arena and the availability to the sport's arena, when they try to get there, they can't get there. during an emergency, an earthquake or something, they can't get there ever. and we need a green lane for emergency vehicles. they're not going fast and poke street, you don't use that left lane. if you go to the golden gate bridge, and when it goes by the yacht harbour, all of those poor dogs don't have to burn their feet and we could have everything and that's everything, a way to get around when there's an earthquake. you know with the cars, there should be a pause in that door and it should be require ed this therequired thatthey a pause ine
4:08 am
a bicycle pus bicycle pump and s more. i've seen so many times, myself and others, ending in the street and they drive away. they run your bike over and you say, you have to back up so i can get my bike out from underneath it. it's a hit and run driver. you know, these thank things thi talk about here in the supervisor meeting, we are so lucky to have people like us and others that care. and i myself up there, too. you know when it comes to a statue for who knows who, maybe me. because i know i did a lot. >> thank you, sir, for being
4:09 am
here. next speaker. >> jonathan and michael, and danny. >> hello. thanks for your attention. i work at get-around, which is located a block away from airbnb and so like tess, i live in berkley and like tess, i take the terminal everyday. i like tess also share bikes, even though i have a bike. so i guess the first question i have is, what are we expected of us who take the bus to the transit terminal after we arrive? what is the connection supposed to be if we don't have good infrastructure there? am i supposed to take transit and get on to a crowded bus? so what i'm saying is, my morning commute on that friday was interrupted because i arrived 20 minutes later after the accident happened. it could have been me.
4:10 am
it could have been any of the people who spoke today. it could be me tomorrow, any of these people next week, next month, if things don't change. i also have a partner who lives in the east bay and it's the same thing. she takes the bus to the transplay terminatransbay termie the crowded bart train. because she biked once on howard and told me how absolutely horrible it was and did not feel safe doing it. so she will never bike on it, at least until the there are proted bike lanes. this morning i counted five cars in the bike lane and that's typical. so basically, my question for you, i have a car, i could drive just parking near water would be hard to find. but do we want me to drive and add one more car to the bay bridge? is that what i'm supposed to be
4:11 am
doing? should i add more cars? is that what drivers who worry about parking want me do? >> thank you very much. >> thank you so pitch. much. >> michael, danny. >> sir, welcome and thank you for being here. >> i'm michael bloom and i bike to work everyday and fear for my life everyday. i have scars from wiping out in a pothole trying to go around a truck. for the next month, i couldn't pick up my son. i've been chased down and deliberately assaulted that was angry for childin chiding him ie bike lane. the city moved quickly to protect the bike lanes where tess was killed but the city has all of the data it needs to predict where the next few cyclists would be killed. we aren't moving with that kind of speed because we're afraid taking street parking away from cars pu but cars can be parked n
4:12 am
garages. i mentioned my son and i learned the other day that my wife is pregnant with another child. i when they get older, i want to feel safe for riding their bikes into the city. there's no reason the city can't be a safe place of people with all ages and abilities to get around. thank you. >> thank you very much. next speaker, please. >> danny, drew and jeremy. >> good afternoon, danny saudr, i'm a resident of district three in north beach. from what we learned withi, tess the model biker and some tell us if we just bike in this lane, bike during this time of the day, if we wear this, then everything will be ok. tess did all of that. she met the impossible, unfair standard that we set for bicyclists in the city and the
4:13 am
streets still took her away from us. so when we talk of standards, i ask you, what are the standards of this city, this self-proclaimed city? what are the standards this board? what are the standards of supervisors who block transit projects in their district and shame victims? some have spoken of the leadership that you can show today. i'm not sure i can give you that. i think you can bring justice today. i think you can bring some fairness today. but leadership would have prevented us from being here today and would have saved testimony ess. tess. so i hope you'll work with your colleagues to come back with a bold bike plan and real progress on vision zero and we can then talk about leadership. thank you. >> thank you. next speaker, please. >> drew scow, jeremy frish.
4:14 am
>> i've biked in san francisco since 2011, almost on a daily basis. i serve on a transit board in valejo and i like to let you know the power you held, as a city that is a leader in transit, and i would love to see you lead in transit. i would love to see a plan where cars were no longer prioritytized. cars are not equitable. it takes a lot of money to own one. if you don't earn that money or have a lot of wealth, you can't earn a car and then your options are public transit, walking, bicycles, scooters. thoswhen you don't prioritize te types of transit and make them first, you're discriminating against the people who voted for you, against the people who live in your community. it's up to all of you to make a difference in this and it goes
4:15 am
beyond just protected bike lane and means prioritizing equitable transit first. we also have a climate crisis across the entire planet. this city will be largely under water if nothing is done. you have an opportunity to be leader and take this forward and try to show the entire country how to really do transit the right way. i'm not a resident, but i am a resident of bay area city and this follows what you do and i would love to see them have somebody great to follow. thank you. >> thank you. next speaker. >> jeremy, patrick, wil. >> i'm jeremy and i bike between the mission and soma and i counted nine vehicles which is unfortunately pretty normal. we don't want to hear this meeting will be adjourned in honour of tess. the best way to honour her is to
4:16 am
get doored into the car lanes with the protected network throughout the city. tell me how this measure will prevent the same death at second and howard where i begin my commute home? will this measure ensure that dream force don't close howard between third and fourth? people keep bringing up how the netherlands and deat denmark bun excellent bike path. it took bold political cities to turn amsterdam and copen he copn around. be bold and pass a full bike network by the end of 2019. let's safety firs first and fige
4:17 am
out the rest later. >> patrick, wil, and martin. >> good afternoon and thanks for hearing me. i'm patrick lindly and i live in the mission for five years. i'm primarily a cyclist and a pedestrian as probably everybody is at some point, nearly. a transit rider, occasional rider but none of that should matter. this is about human life. this is about choosing to protect proactively the most vulnerable humans in our city instead of continuing to value the convenience of drivers, the least vulnerable and that's your duty. it's a duty of all of us but you're in a unique position of power to really turn san francisco into a progressive city in the realm of transit and transportation, where we don't have to risk our lives to get
4:18 am
around, especially to help support our climate initiative, as well. i joined hundreds of people outside before coming here today and supervisor hainey asked a question of how many feel their life is in danger just getting around the city. i think everybody rose their hands and some rose both hands. if you ask anybody that rides their bike around the city, you would get the same response. ask drivers that and undoubtedly you hear from drivers regarding all of the projects. did they have the same fear of their lives being in jeopardy every time they get around the city. i ask you to think about that. we shouldn't be imploring and pleading for this. this should be basic. the final thing is to enforce. it's passed time to continue
4:19 am
reading on social media no immediate action will be taken when someone is walking a bike lane and trying to endanger other people trying to get from point a to point b. yet you continue to do this. thank you. >> you're welcome. >> wil, martin and kristine martinez, maybe. >> welcome, sir. >> thank you. as a friend of tess', i wanted to share that she was a very embodied person. she and i -- she was a dancer. she and i danced together earlier this month and she, i think, would appreciate if we have been sitting here doing all this talking all this time about, i think, what's very clear to you all at this point what you need do and i think
4:20 am
that it would be good to have a stretch break. so if anyone for tess' sake would want to stand up and move your body a little bit. [ laughter ] >> thank you all forking to what you're going do. i have so much hope for the future of this city, for the future of humanity. you can do this. >> thank you. >> that was memorable. >> martin and then christian. and those are the last two people who have turned in a speaker card on this topic. >> hi, board. i would like to start by
4:21 am
moralizing the life of tess rothstein. she has changed the tide how we look at bike safety in the city just based on the number of people here who didn't know her. typically i write down my comments but i want to speak from the heart. i'm a transit ride eb rider and pedestrian and i'm a reluctant biker and it's unsafe because the mta hasn't taken bike safety seriously. i'm imploring you not just to do this piecemeal but a network all across the city. i'm looking at you, director, reskin, because i spoke to you during the incredible town hall and i didn't feel the urgency about building that network and i want to say that's not something negotiable. we need that right now. we can't be talking about the
4:22 am
inconvenience of drivers versus the lives of bikers, the lives of bikers, ok. i live on oak filmore and crossing the street just to get to work and i happen to be lucky to work around here so i can make a public comment curing dug work hours. crossing that street for me is a life or death circumstance because it's a three-lane, high speed, glorified freeway to market street. there's no road diets, nothing going on there and you might talk about the three lanes or sorry, the three blocks near the panhandle but we need that the entire way. this is no not negotiatele. we need this now. >> good luck back at work. >> christian. he's the last one to turn in a card. >> good afternoon.
4:23 am
my name is christian martinez. i want to say public speaking a huge fear of mine so i hope that illustrates how important this is. >> relax, you're amongst friend. >> i've lived in soma about two blocks away from where tess was killed and i went to city college for classes and there was always a point of pride i was living a healthy lifestyle and contributing t encouraging d friends to ride bikes more. but it felt like no if but when will you have an accident and how lucky will you be? for me, the last time i was on a bike was december 3, because that's when i had my accident riding home from school. i was riding down mission street and a driver was a little distracted and a little bit in a hurry and made a poor decision and i was completely alert but
4:24 am
before i could do anything, i was headed for the ground and broke my clavicle. i've been in recovery ever since. i'll be back on a bike next week, which i'm excited for but after that, friends of mine are more reluctant to get on bike. my family doesn't want me to ride my bike in the city. it's heartbreaking and protected bike lanes are important. when you're riding in a bike lane, it feels like we love you and we care about your safety and we're glad you're on a bike. everywhere else it's like the city is saying, we don't care about you. go away. up until a month ago, i was resident of san francisco but me and my boyfriend move girlfrieno emeryville and it feels safer to bike there and that's not what i want for san francisco. i want san francisco to have an interconnected network of bike lanes where you can ride to
4:25 am
college or work. bring me back. >> thank you, and you strike me as a fine public speaker. thank you for coming down today. any further public comment? >> no one who has turned in a speaker chair. >> anyone else who wishes to speak on public comment? thank you for coming down. i'm sorry if i was seeming rude but i was enforcing the rules. one other speaker will be the final speaker. come forward. >> i'm renada cavijge and i've been a taxi driver in san francisco for 25 years. this thing with the bicycles, i want to make a comment. i understand the bikes, they want their lane, they want the safety. but i'm wishing that the bicyclists would drive a little
4:26 am
more careful, too. with crossing the intersections, the pedestrians, sometimes they don't care about the pedestrians. i'm sitting and i'm watching all this. i try to be as careful as i can as a driver. and there's an issue that i have with the bikes at night. most of them, unfortunately, they're riding a dark bike and in black clothing. you can't see them all of the time. and they come up and they scream and yell at people. i'm like, ok, i looked in my mirror, i didn't see them. they're all in black and especially driving through the park, when customers want to go through the dark to be dropped off, you can't see them. they should be wearing reflecter vests and the little tiny light is not enough and this is just not enough. they want to be protected but they need to be proactive
4:27 am
themselves for their protection. and these reflecter vests would help drivers see them better, especially at night. especially if they drive in black clothing, there is insane, in my opinion. >> thank you. with that public comment is closed. thank you for a civic and polite discussion and thank you for following the rules and thank you for taking time out of your day to share stories. board members we have a motion on the table that i made before the discussion that was seconded. are there any questions for mr. ma fir mcguire or a motion concerning howard street? if none -- yes? >> you can go first. sorry, do you have questions -- i don't know if this is appropriate to ask about next steps. we heard from public comment.
4:28 am
>> what i would suggest, if i may and since i sit in the centre, we can move forward. mr. mcguire, get ready. obviously we're in inhibited by what is noticed and what is publically noticed and an outreach and we'll ask you to address that but if i may focus questions and item action on this motion for now. do you have anything to say? >> no. >> i have a question on that one in particular. >> director eakan. >> we heard a number of folks ask tor howard street to the embarcadaro and i wonder if there is an entire bike lane. >> just to talk about what we've done and in the short term on howard street, the motion today
4:29 am
covers the blocks between third and sixth. i think you know we've removed all of the the parking from the north side of howard and fourth and sixth we have installed the bike lane between fifth and sixth, moving quickly to get with your support today, a protected like lane built by the date in the motion says the middle of april, where we will try to beat that deadline. to the east of third street, we don't have a specific plan in hand the way we did for the blocks, and that doesn't mean we won't move quickly. we've heard all of the feedback you heard and more. we know how urgent this is and we want to get a plan to you as early as early summer to get that implemented this year between second and third and i point to that block in particular because one of the comments we heard from many of the stakeholders who spoke to us is how important it is to fill gaps in the network.
4:30 am
if we can connect the howard bike lane to second street, those are two protected bike lanes that will remove a gap from the network no one of the busiest parts of the city. that's getting to second street. east of sout second street, hows a two-way street and the design is more complex. that doesn't mean that we're not going to try to bring you a plan for how to install parking protected bike lanes there, but we're starting from scratch. we haven't talked to any stakeholders about those blocks. again doesn't stop us from feeling the sense of urgency and finally, director, you asked about fulsone street. this board, over two years ago leg stimulatelegislated a two-wn the sides of second street and that project has been bid out by public works and we should see shovels in the ground this summer and that does go all of the way.
4:31 am
so that's the state of play for howard and fulsome, east of fifth street. >> does that cover it? >> can i ask a follow-newspaper? is there an environment or review issue, i believe? >> the primary barrier -- let me turn this around. the reason we were able to act so quickly on the section of howard street where we've installed parking protected bike lane and try to get it done before april is we have been doing a planning process for over two years with stakeholders on howard and fulsome streets and while the design that we do plan to bring you for the complete reconstruction of howard street is a little different than the thing that will go out there and mark this
4:32 am
month and next month, there has been an outreach process. we talked to stakeholders and we understand pedestrians and loading and especially of cyclists to say safe on the blocks in the masconi centre and west. we need to have some conversations with some of the fronting residents and businesses east of second street. >> we don't have a designer in alignment yet, right. >> we don't have a design right now. >> directors, any further questions? >> yes, just one quick question and thank you very much, mr. mcguire, how on to get protected bike lanes. where we haven't done outreach yet, maybe we can take this opportunity to look into piloting projects at the same time that we're doing the outreach because i think this board has heard a lot about how it can be difficult for people to envision the projects, even during the outreach and it can
4:33 am
be a shock when projects go in because it's not what they envision and i know we've so much effort in this agency and to our outreach efforts. as you said to me, now we need to focus on the efficiency of our outreach efforts and i think this could be a good opportunity to do that. it could bring us quickly, the safety benefits, let people see what it will look like and just streamline that outreach that much more. >> i think that's right. i think that's consistent with the message that the mayor gave us earlier this month about finding ways to get projects done quicker, using near term tools and i think a few people commented on the speed with which we did valencia. you used the term pilot and we got a good facility on the street quickly with your leadership. but also it's serving as a very effective way to show stakeholders who have questions about what's the long-term plan. you can go out and ride and
4:34 am
touch and feel and what's not working with that bike lane and that's fair to use pie lot piloa way to ennatur engage folks andk howard street is a great way to do it. >> i can't resist but saying howard and fulsome move east and west in the soma district so the same energy, i know if we can on our partners about a car-free market street where we have dedicated raised bike lanes across the city without interfacing with private automobiles, still, i realize folks are to get where they need to go, but boy, if there was ever any energy for that project, which i've been pushing for since you were in grade school, i think -- [ laughter ] >> -- i would love if we could communicate the energy and the passion that we heard here today to our partners on that project. and with that, we have a motion with a second for a vote.
4:35 am
so all those in favour of the motion that i made at the outset of the this meeting, please say aye. >> any opposed? ok. and i believe i had some requests at the earlier part of this discussion to ask mr. mcguire or, perhaps, address with mr. mil mcguire longer term projects and i think we covered some of that. did you have any? please, director eakin. >> i want to thank everybody who came out here today and took the time to write a letter, especially in the midst of your grieving for whom this is a personal friend and colleague. i ne know that can be hard. this death hit me hard because i bike in somark a al oma all of e and i think you all for your commitment to cycling your commitment to protected bike lanes and for showing up today and to honour tess. i want to make this one the last, as well.
4:36 am
i'm completely, and i think we're all there with you, nobody wants any more fatalities in the city. i want to acknowledge some of the comments that came out related to the larger network and i want to ask mr. mcguire, you and your team, for a couple of commitments moving forward. one, i would like to see a 90-day action plan for vision zero, where we would systematic systematically assist all of the trees. we know where the accidents were happening, and can predict where the next one is going to happen and i like to look at a top-down analysis of every street on the network, which ones can be improved with very near-term improvements as the mayor is calling for and have you come back to us at april 2 with a prioritized list. i don't believe every list is equally dangerous and i would like to rank them and prioritize which ones we'll fix quickly
4:37 am
with protected infrastructure. i agree with so many of the speakers and i don't want another death be the reason we make the change. we should get ahead of this one. we can't be in a constant cycle of catch-up. the second piece i wanted to raise, i would like for you both to bring us back as the mayor mentioned in her letter earlier today, a strong and comprehensive policy around long-term safety projects so were can make these improvements to the network comprehensively in the next two years. i was impress and delighted to see how quickly we can move and happy to get the email from the photograph of the infrastructure going on howard. to me it's evidence we can move quickly if we want. i want to see on our april 2nd n accelerate and not wait much longer. i join you in mourning this
4:38 am
loss. this is a tragic loss and we need to do better. we hear all of you. >> so this is procedurally under new unfinished business. i don't see any objection from fellow board members, so if you could work with her how to best accommodate that, that would be appreciated. >> we will come back the next meeting. >> we are under new or unfinished business. director brinkman? >> thank you to everybody who came. i agree, this one hit me hard. i was on howard street for times in last week so i know the conditions there. and i think we do need to have a bigger discussion about cars in the bike lanes and you know, not a discussion now, but come back to us and can we really talk about towing cars in bike lanes? because if we tow cars in bike lane, that will get the message
4:39 am
out. don't do it. same things with cars using the load zones, i've been seeing a lot of that and some have posts that don't allow it, so maybe we can take a deeper look at that, as well. we received a letter from zuckerburg san francisco general emergency room doctor this week talking about the intersection of castro, divizdero and i wonder if we can take a look at that. he was saying in his letter that that ways a directing drivers go to castro, left up walter to avoid traffic on divisdero and i'm wondering if we can reach out to tell him to knock it off or sign it. it's a scarry intersection to cross on foot because you don't know which way the cars are going until suddenly they go. so thank you
4:40 am
>> there are many communities that have been dealing with this way that takes people into neighborhoods, with these cars that have never been, increasing a pedestrian and bicyclists hazards. i'll get you the cities i've referenced that have tried to deal with this initial a varieta variety of way. some have been successful and others have not. maybe we need to look at that. thank you. >> i have an enforcement question. i know we have significant limitations such, as well for example a tnc in a red zone they shouldn't be for the use of cameras. does the same limitation apply to parking violations? >> in terms of are we authorized to use camera enforcement for parking violations? so right now the only authorizations that we have to
4:41 am
use cameras for enforcement are for red lights, for turns from red lights that we have at market and the freeway across from octaviai, so it's a no-turn and we can use camera enforcement there and camera enforcement for parking violateses anparkingviolations . those are recent attempts to get any sort of expansion of that authority from the state legislature have not been successful. >> have those attempts included, focused an effort to get camera enforcement for parking violations in bike lanes? >> no. >> so it occurs to me that this is one that we have a real issue of enforcement and the facts of this accident were particularly troubling to me for a variety of reasons, but it's something that
4:42 am
underscores the need for enforcement in the bike lane and i expect there are a few areas that they can tell us, hey, these are the blocks we need to enforce it because of frequent abuse, because of the businesses that are on the block and because of the interface with the traffic on that particular block. and to me been it seems that if you had camera enforcement of parking in those bike lanes, parking this those bike lanes would go away fast once people got the word they'll get a ticket. in fact, even the sig signage tt said camera enforcement. i realize it's not an overnight solution but if i may request that you work with miss breen and our team to see whether there might be appetite for some sort of change that is that focused, that focused, and allow us to enforce the propriety of the bike lanes to prevent deaths like this, i would appreciate it.
4:43 am
>> are we able to increase the fine for bike lanes? because i hope we can increase the enforcement and we should. people knowing the price of a blocking the ada ramp or bus zone and that's a pretty big deterrent and a lot of delivery trucks, they basically budget in parking tickets they'll pay to the city but thinking of the $72 range, not $200 to $300 range. i don't know if that's possible and maybe you know if that's possible. >> i don't know specifically. every two years we do our budget, our fees and fines, many of the parking projects are
4:44 am
capped by the california vehicle code and we can come back whether that could be raised. >> when you bring that report to us, maybe can bring to us what work we're doing about passenger loading zones and places like that and i think that's part of a larger strategy to get people from pulling into random places. >> mr. mcguire, thank you, thank you forrering you're doing. with that, item number 7. >> the director's report. >> i guess the same thing with regard to vision zero. i did update you with the last meeting on three fatal collisions that proceeded the last board meeting and there's more loss of life. in addition to the life of tess
4:45 am
on howard, that you all heard about, janice higoshi was hit walking at levinworth and golden gate and died five days later. i just learned earlier today that a 14-year-old girl who was crossing the street on john mare drive and was hit by a car remains in very grave condition and as a father of a 14-year-old girl, that's hard to hear. and so, i do want to remind everybody that we heard a lot about tess rothstein and understandably so and how tragic and preventible and unnecessary that was, everyone single one of these is tragic. every single one is preventible. so we have for every one of
4:46 am
these -- and i get this is reactive and it's important. that we mobilize our rapid response team for every fatality, every life-threatening injury that happens on our streets to see what we can do immediately to get something in the ground as fast as possible to make those areas as safe as possible. there's not always something we identify we can do, but anything that we find that might have some impact we're doing right awaaaway. on california street, we're working for islands and all over the stric district to install ts and there's a project coming to the board soon and tenderloin, we're partnering with neighborhoods to develop safety plans for corridors throughout
4:47 am
the communities, the entire community, the entire neighborhood is essentially on the high injury network. and i just want to assure you that we are working with the highest level of urgency and thank the mayor and this board for the support and directing us to move quickly on safety improvements on the high injury corridors and to focus and amplify and accelerate our efforts because we don't want to continue to be in this reactive mode, either. >> can i ask a question on that? >> yes. that same approach where you send the time out, the rapid response team to an intersection where there's been a recent collision or injury, is there a reason we couldn't send that team out to the 120-mile high injury network right now and have them make the same improvements? don't we have the data where the incidents have been occurring. >> generally the design of the
4:48 am
capital programme that supports the visions, implementation is that. it's based on the data of what we know and we've developed a capital programme to address needs on particular streets and intersections. i think what you've all challenged us to do is to kind of get ahead of that capital project development process and try to get things out quicker and sooner, even if just to test different ways of doing things. so we will come back at the next meeting with kind of a plan for how we might do that, but that's how the whole capital programme in support of vision zero has been built is base on the other hand that data. >> are the projects in the capital programme, are they designed? do we have designs to fix these streets or that designwork has yet to be done. it's designed and built and in some places planned and in some places the work may not have started. >> i just want to note that part of what mr. mcguire said,
4:49 am
the reason you were able to do howard street so quickly because the design existed. >> right. >> so if we can get a jump on the design, even if the funding is not ready for all of the the streets on the high-injury network, that would allow us to act more quickly. >> right. part of what we need is to expand our capacity to do that planning and design work so that we can early implementation in the ground sooner. >> if you have shortages in terms of that design or painting and striping, whatever the shortages are, that's what i want to serve and if we need to elevate those additional resource need, we would be happy to make those. >> excellent. that's helpful. the only other thing i wanted to update the board on is the intersunset street scape improvement project. the project is nearing completion.
4:50 am
this means this will commence soon. in order to accommodate that work, we will have to shut down the enjuda for approximately two weeks which means we'll be running buses in lieu of trains from ocean beep to carl and cole and back. so you'll need to transfer and we will have buses staged there. so similar to what we've done in past, so previously we staged it to church. we'll run the end further out, but we can't run through where they'll be paving. this is where we the ability to
4:51 am
stage the buses to facilitate the franc transfer. >> perfect. >> like in past, outreach to stakeholders, we're working hard to minimize the impact to the rest of the muni-system because we're running a lot more buses than we normally run. we have an operating class operg to replenish the ranks. irving itself will remain open but there will be various traffic restrictions as the paving crews do their work. we'll have pcos to help facilitate movement.
4:52 am
the plan is a streetscape and this was driven by a muin-forward programme putting in a key stop in both directions and shifting the transit stops at ninth and irving so that the train doesn't stop to board passengers and then stop again for the signal, so it should smooth the flow of muni through the intersunset and of course all of the nexts have been upgraded, so as always, it's a safety project, as well. so it's a great project that we thank the inner sunset fol folkr their patience. there was security, ramps, transit improvements and now the paving but in the end it will be much better ride for folks on muni, much better looking area and much safer and that concludes my report.
4:53 am
>> is there any public comment on director riskens' report. >> on either end of sixth avenue, one for the inbound and outbound and we have ramps built so that folks will have wheelchair access. right now there's a gap from carl and cole to ninth and juda, so this is in the middle and right on the other end of that inner sunset commercial area. so yeah, now the wheelchair access on sixth avenue on the end. >> miss boomer, public commenters. >> nobody on the speecher card. speaker card. >> director risken, are there others who had questions on the report? sorry, go ahead.
4:54 am
>> i want to call out and request that the district supervisors speak up in support of projects that are not in their district because we are so cautious to not step on the toes of a district supervisor and push a project ahead over there. so i think we really need to call -- there's a few projects that come to mind that are watered down or canceled due to lack of supervisor support in that district. poke stree.polk street, becauseo supervisors wouldn't support that project. the one that got watered down to the point of why bother. sixth street was watered down
4:55 am
and then broadway safety project, a public commenter mentioned i feel like it's been delayed sort of indefinitely. we have been too nice. we have supervisors who stand on the steps of city hall and affirm their support of vision zero, but when push comes to shove, not only might they not support a project in their district, but they won't speak up in support of a project in another supervisor's district and i remember calling polk calling to speak up because their extents use polk but not that supervisor who travels the length of that corridor. so i pledge going forward, i will be making a lot more noise about not just the supervisor in whose district the project is, but asking other supervisors why they're not supporting those projects. if they believe in vision zero, if we all believe we can get to
4:56 am
vision zero, we have to support city-wide vision zero and city-wide changes. please stand by.
4:57 am
4:58 am
>> we're very mindful of that and trying to push through it. >> thanks for the thought and advanced notice. that takes us on to item 8. public comment on item 7 was closed. we're on to item 8, mr. weaver, thank you, welcome. thank you for being here.
4:59 am
>> i'm here to report on the results of the march 7th citizens advisory committee and the recommendations. there were two recommendation. the first recommendation is the animal behavior policies be posted on muni vehicles and the transit fare inspectors cite riders not in compliance. it seems like what the rules are is a mystery and there's a no postings anyone has seen in a while and should be something every vehicle has in it. the second recommendation, the sfmta urges the board of director to support the routing changes to the 55 dog patch line. that's it.
5:00 am
anybody have any questions for mr. weaver? >> i have one. mr. weaver the seating configurations of our muni trains is a topic on much debate and we asked if they would provide an input. can you update me if that's something you are taking up? >> we think we started it because people complained and passed a resolution and sent it to you and you picked it up from you. we are interested in that and continue to be interested in it. >> commissioner: so i guess i understand the c.a.c. has expressed the same concerns i expressed when the first trains rolled out but staff has responded to that and given us options on seating. i wondered if the c.a.c. would weigh in on the options. >> yes. >> it

41 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on