Skip to main content

tv   WIS News 10 Live at 500  NBC  January 8, 2016 5:00pm-6:00pm EST

5:00 pm
frantic pace. the powerball jackpot is now up to $800 million dollars----and could be over the $900 million mark by tomorrow night's drawing. today, the head of south carolina's education lottery is hoping customers will keep things in proper perspective. jack kuenzie is here with more. judi--just yesterday, the powerball jackpot stood at $700 million. that broke the previous top prize record of $656 million set back in 2012 in the mega-millions contest. while no one took the grand prize in the latest drawing on wednesday, education lottery officials say more than 100 thousand players in this state on that day, won amounts ranging from four
5:01 pm
as more players take another shot at powerball immortality today and tomorrow, south carolina lottery director paula harper bethea is asking them to use some restraint. we are really concerned about that. we don't just pay lip service to playing responsibly here. all of us, our entire staff has been meeting for the last two days around you know, a billion dollar jackpot if it ver got to that. controlling peoples' urge to go out and spend more than they have. one thing about south carolina is that we're a cash only state. debit card. you have to have cash to buy the lottery ticket. the director says it would be nice for the palmetto state to have the grand prize winner---because of the trickle down effect.
5:02 pm
also make money---as would the ticket seller---and of course, education. it appearsrsikely there will be at least one more upward adjustment to the jackpot amount by tomorrow morning. jack kuenzie wis news ten. investigators now say it was dna that made the difference in solving a columbia murder mystery. 20 year old jeremy davis was killed during an attempted robbery at a gas station. thanks to a hand p pnt --- investigators say they now have the people responsible. mike desumma is live at the richland county sheriff's department with more. mike. charles that hand print was left on one of the door handles of the victims car according to investigators. authorities believe it came from 20 y yr old ibn gadson --- one of the two men now facing charges in this murder case. the sheriff's department says video evidence taken at the spinx gas station on lee road showed gadson and 22 year old ryan alston climbing into a
5:03 pm
jeremy davis was inside that car along with his friend. officials say both began fighting back after gadson and alston started beating them and demanding money. at some point shots were fired and davis was killed at the scene. investigators says the surveillance video did no good because no one could id the suspects. sheriff lott says without the "within six days on the 19th...this case has been solved. the family of mr. davis has some closure because we were able to find out this building." sheirff lott says forensic evidence has also helped his department immensely in other types of cases. that includes several home burglaries. ibn gadson and ryan alston are currently in custody. both are facing charges not only for murder --- but armed robbery, kidnapping and assault and battery. live at the richland county
5:04 pm
the clemson tigers are heading to glendale arizona at this moment to take on the crimson tide for the national championship! they'll be flying into phoenix soon and rick henry is there right now. hey rick. we're standing by here at the phoenix airport waiting on the arrival of the top ranked clemson football team. they're due to touch down here in arizona at 6:10 eastern time. alabama will land at seven o'clock. clemson fans are also making their way to the valley of the sun. we checkchecked out the action today in downtown phoenix. fans were milling around..checking out the merchandise...soaking up the entire experience of attending a national championship game. the clemson fans are hoping to cheer their team to the second national title in
5:05 pm
we will be covering the tigers throughout the weekend live in glendale. make sure to watch our special "chasing a championship" which runs right here on wis at 7:30.
5:06 pm
guzman has been recaptured six months after he escaped from a maximum security prison. "el chapo" was apprehended after a shootout with mexican marines in the city of los mochis , in his home state of sinaloa. mexican officials said five people were killed and one mexican marine wounded in the clash. six suspects were arrested. the mexican navy says that marines seized two armored vehicles, eight rifles, one handgun and a rocket-propelled grenade launcher in the raid. columbia police are trying to get to the bottom of a suspicious death. at about 8 this morning, they found 34 year old mario kelly dead in a front yard at queen and preston streets. an autopsy shows he died from blood loss due to a laceration to the head. officers are investigating still how he was injured. in orangeburg county, the man accused of repeatedly shooting his stepmother will
5:07 pm
today darrien weeks was ordered held without bond. weeks was arrested arrested yesterday after the shooting on old state road. emergency crews airlifted a 53-year-old woman to the hospital after she was shot multiple times. investigators believe there was a domestic dispute. weeks has been charged with attempted murder, possession of a weapon during a violent crime, and grand larceny.. police are releasing video surveillance images in the hopes of catching two men involved in a break in of a sumter business. -pictures: two men in sections of palmetto explosion/lean bootcamp -- on south pike west road. -after midnight december 27th -white male and a black male going through the building. -men broke out glass section of a door -anyone wtih information is asked to call crimestoppers at 1-888- crime-sc it could be just a few more days before more of
5:08 pm
city officials say the parks department has been working around the clock to re-open three phases of the park. since last august the cayce riverwalk has flooded at least four times. the only part of the cayce riverwalk that will not reopen is phase two which runs from the train trestle to the riverland park neighborhood. a veteran of usc basketball is gone. bill foster died yesterday. foster led the gamecocks from 1980 through 1986 he won won 92 games at u-s-c and led the gamecocks to the n-i-t in the 1982-83 season. before coming to the palmetto state, he led the duke blue devils leading them to two acc championships and played for national title in 1978. bill foster was 86. coming up on wis: so what works? this weekend presidential candidates are laying out their plans for jobs and growth... in the palmetto state. plus--donald trump wants to fight gun violence by getting guns into more peoples hands in more places!
5:09 pm
it's the little things in life that make me smile. spending the day with my niece. i don't use super poligrip for hold, because my dentures fit well. before those little pieces would get in between my dentures and my gum and it was uncomfortable. even well fitting dentures let in food particles. just a few dabs of super poligrip free is clinically proven to seal out more food particles so you're more comfortable and confident while you eat. so it's not about keeping my dentures in, it's about keeping the food particles out.
5:10 pm
last night in vermont. he called for the elimination of gun free zones in schools and u.s. military bases he vowed to sign an order on his first day as president to make sure it happens. "a gun free zone on a military base with some of the best soldiers we have, sitting there relaxing, watching television, no gun. guy walks in, kills all of them. ok, that ends immediately." trump also said that if law abiding citizens were allowed to carry guns... incidents like the shooting in san bernardino last year could have been prevented. planned parenthood is endorsing hillary clinton for president. the group says it'll make it official in new hampshire this sunday. it will be the first time planned parenthood has endorsed anyone during presidential primaries. the move is likely to open
tv-commercial
5:11 pm
republican candidates. many of them have promised to cut the group's funding if elected. several republican n ndidates for president are on their way to the capital city this weekend. u.s. senator tim scott and house speaker paul ryan will moderate the "kemp forum on expanding opportunity" at the columbia metropolitan convention center tomorrow. presidential candidates jeb bush, ben carson, chris christie, carlyfiorinana john kasich, and marco rubio are scheduled to be there. the event is open to the public, but you must register. registration information is online on wistv.com. mostly cloudy with areas of showers this morning as a small and quick disturbance moves in from georgia, look for a wet ride into work and school. showers will end by midday, we'll see some peeks of sun, cool with highs in the middle 50s. rain chance 40% early.
5:12 pm
a look now at your first alert traffic... marco rubio thinks it's unfair to criticize him for missing votes. "but i am going to miss votes, i'm running for president."
5:13 pm
"one third of all of his missed votes in 2015 were missed before he announced he was r rning for president." over the last three years, marco rubio has missed more votes... than any other senator. washington politician marco rubio. doesn't show up for work, but wants a promotion? right to rise usa is responsible
5:14 pm
mostly cloudy with areas of showers this morning as a small and quick disturbance moves in from georgia, look for a wet ride into work and school. showers will end by midday, we'll see some peeks of sun, cool with highs in the middle 50s. rain chance 40% early. a better chance of showers tomorrow ahead of a cold front, breezy, high near 60. rain chance 60% clearing by midday day sunday, it will be breezy, highs upper 50s. another shot of chilly air moves in late next week. break you may remember erika alexander
5:15 pm
yeah, that's right. deal diva coming through. you see all my bogos, my weekly ad. just wait till you see my savings. and brace yourself. the digital coupons are coming next. look at her, so proud of her momma. you saved quite a bit today go ahead. say it. cha-ching! thank you the weekly ad, bogos and coupons. three easy ways to save at the same place you love to shop.
tv-commercial
5:16 pm
hey, what are you doing? getting the coats. for a half hour? bob just got time warner cable. he's getting more. more what? more than 25,000 movies and shows on demand, most for free. look, he's dvr-ing like 6 shows at once. let's go. ah, this grass is so much greener than on our tv. why are your shoes off?
5:17 pm
i don't want to be rude. discover how much more is included. are those meatballs still circulating? get tv, internet and phone for $89.99 per month. only from time warner cable. maxine shaw attorney at law on the 90's hit 'living single'. that show helped to break color-r-rriers on main stream tv. nearly a decade later alexander finds herself overcoming a similar stereotype when she tried to launch her futuristic comic book - 'concrete park.' "we were pitching it to a hollywood studio president - and he stopped us because it was a science-fiction premise. he said, "let me stop you right there." he says, "black people won't like science fiction because they don't see themselves in the future. meaghan: what did he mean by
5:18 pm
him? did he clarify that statement? erika: look at my eyes. are they big enough? well he did clarify and it's a story too long to tell here but it had nothing to do with anything. but it was a ridiculous story and had nothing to do with anything. my husband - who's very quick on his feet he said, "let me tell you something about black people." he said, "for black people, the past is painful, the present precarious, but the future is free." meaghan: he said that? erika: the future is free." concrete park is currently in comic book stores. join us sunday morning at 11 for awareness as alexander talks today ... philadelphia police are saying an unprovoked attack on one of their officers is being investigated as an act of terror.. brian mooar reports from washington. 10-16 34-46 54-58 in philadelphia ... a brazen ambush of a police officer sitting in his cruiser. and from the suspect ... a confession every bit as
5:19 pm
"he stated that he pledges his allegiance to islamic state, he follows allah and that is the reason he was called upon to do this." surveillance video captured the moment when the gunman opened fire on officer jesse hartnett ... approaching until he was shooting point blank ... and unloding the last of eleven shots as he retreated . hartnett managed to return fire - even though he was hit three times. "the bravery he demonstrated was absolutely remarkable. his will to live undoubtedly saved his life. and we're ever so thankful to god that he's here today, because this could have easily been a police funeral." police say hartnett lost a lot of blood and underwent hours of surgery. his father says he'll pull through. "gonna be a tough road, but he's a tough guy and he's an excellent philadelphia ... officer." police say suspect edward archer used a gun stolen from an officer's home in 2013. investigators say their biggest question now is whether archer acted on his own - or
5:20 pm
act of terror. audio outcue: "brian mooar, nbc news, washington." we are just 3 days away f fm the biggest college football game of the season and the national title is up for grabs. coming up on wis, a live report
5:21 pm
thanks for joining us. the clemson tigers mission into history is underway. they'll soon arrive in phoenix on their way to the national championship game. rick henry is already there. he's at the airport right now. hey rick. we're standing by here at the phoenix airport waiting on the arrival of the top ranked clemson football team. they're due to touch down here in arizona at 6:10 eastern time. alababa will land at seven o'clock. clemson fans are also making
5:22 pm
way to the valley of the sun. we checkchecked out the action today in downtown phoenix. fans were milling around..checking out the merchandise...soaking up the entire experience of attending a national championship game. the clemson fans are hoping to cheer their team to the second national title in program history. "it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, i mean, i was 5 when we won in 1981 and my dad was raising retired clemson cheerleader is hitting the road for this year's
5:23 pm
road for this year's match up. pat cassels and her husband tobin live here in columbia. pat was a sophomore and a cheerleader for the school when clemson won the 1981 national championship. both pat and tobin are avid football fans, although their houseses divided -- tobin went to carolina and their daughter rustin, went to clemson. "i've cheered all my life, been a sports fan all my life, so m four years at clemson were just awesome. there's just no other way to describe it. it's just something about those hills." pat says she's watched a lot of clemson football-- and she sees a lot of similarities between this team and the 1981 championship squad. she's hoping the team's underdog status helps them pull out another big win. mostly cloudy with areas of
5:24 pm
chapin's former town clerk and the mayor has ended with a deal. adrienne thompson sued mayor skip wilson accusing him of for defaming her character. she has now settled that lawsuit for 150 thousand dollars thompson was town clerk for 13 years before wilson fired her. wilson also asked sled to investigate any wrongdoing in the town administration - sled closed their investigation in december with no charges. for the first time in its history, the orangeburg county sheriff's office has its first black female captain. captain antonia turkvant asked the sheriff and her 99 year old grandmother to help pin on her new rank. she hopes young girls will see her as a role model. "i want them to know that
5:25 pm
grew up right here in orangeburg, went to school right her in orangeburg, orangeburg-wilkinson high school. so anything can happen. god is able to open up doors no man can shut, he will move mountains for you and i believe that." if you're out of holiday goodies already, the girl scouts are here to help. starting today, the scouts will be taking pre-orders for their annual cookie sales. for the first time in more than a decade, the mountains to midlands council says prices are going up to keep up with ingredient and transportation increases. the 50 cent increase makes the cost 4 dollars a box. midlands' scouts say three dollars per box stays within the local council. as usual- you can expect to see your favorite
5:26 pm
"the "thanks a lots" are really good for businesses because they say thank you in five different languages so it's good for businesses to say thank you to your customers" lexington scout autumn perez adds that there are milk-free, gluten-free and vegan cookie options.and that this year is also the 10th anniversary for the lemonades. cookies that are ordered now will be delivered in mid to late february. if you'd like to be connected "will: today, president obama vetoed the act to repeal obamacare. graham: if you're surprised the president vetoed the act to repeal his signature issue, then you shouldn't be allowed to drive." senator lindsey graham getting candid on his campaign, 2016 and what's ahead in congress- he sat down with our will whitson, you'll hear more
5:27 pm
a cloudy day in the midlands with on and off showers.
5:28 pm
mostly cloudy with areas of showers this morning as a small and quick disturbance moves in from georgia, look for a wet ride into work and school. showers will end by midday, we'll see some peeks of sun, cool with highs in the middle 50s. rain chance 40% early. a better chance of showers tomorrow ahead of a cold front, breezy, high near 60. rain chance 60% clearing by midday day sunday, it will be breezy, highs upper 50s. another shot of chilly air moves in late next week. georgia, look for a wet ride into work and school.
5:29 pm
we'll see some peeks of sun, cool with highs in the middle 50s. rain chance 40% early. a better chance of showers tomorrow ahead of a cold front, breezy, high near 60. rain chance 60% clearing by midday day sunday, it will be breezy, highs upper 50s. another shot of chilly air moves in late next week. georgia, look for a wet ride into work and school. showers will end by midday, we'll see some peeks of sun, cool with highs in the middle 50s. rain chance 40% early. a better chance of showers tomorrow ahead of a cold front, breezy, high near 60. rain chance 60% clearing by midday day sunday, it will be breezy, highs upper 50s. another shot of chilly air moves
5:30 pm
georgia, look for a wet ride into work and school. showers will end by midday, we'll see some peeks of sun, cool with highs in the middle 50s. rain chance 40% early. a better chance of showers tomorrow ahead of a cold front, breezy, high near 60. rain chance 60% clearing by midday day sunday, the chick-fil-a in clemson is offering hungry fans in tigertown a unique way to cheer on their team on the morning of the national championship. the restaurant will sell chicken biscuits in the
5:31 pm
the biscuits will be available from 6:30 to 10:30 a.m. clemson will face alabama in the cfp national championship game in arizona. kickoff is at 8:30 p.m. on monday. you can watch our special leading up to the big battle monday at 7:30. parent: beware of the makeup-wielding quirky aunt who agrees to watch over your toddler. she might just make her famous! self-described up-and- coming artist samantha parsons recently baby-sat her 3-year-old niece. her niece asked parsons to do her makeup and the results were delightful, hilarious and frightening at the same time. coming up on wis, a rare and beautiful creature is caught on
5:32 pm
find out why a snowy was soaring through the sky in canada. break
5:33 pm
legislative session now says
5:34 pm
will pass- and soon. will whitson spoke to senator tom davis and others about the state's crumbling infrastructure- and what it's going to take to pass the bill. beaufort "i don't think you're going to have a need for a filibuster. i think you're going to have a different sentiment in the chamber." among both senators and representatives, the feeling seemingly optimistic lawmakers is the man who filibustered to stop the bill in the senate in june- beaufort senator tom davis. beaufort "you're going to find a senate that is determined to go ahead and pass a good bill as opposed to a straight up gas tax increase." thursday, davis said senators were more open to dot reform- which the senate finance committee stripped from the roads bill when it came over from the house. davis wants dot commissioners the dot chair is appointed by the governor, while legislators pick the rest. beaufort "it's essentially controlled by two individuals- the speaker of the house and the president pro tem of the senate- that is not the way to appropriate
5:35 pm
speaker of the house, persident pro tem of the senate both from charleston, you saw a plurality of the money going to the charleston area." but to reform dot means legislators have to vote away their own power to the governor- but, other legislators seem open to the vote if it means getting road funding on the right track. lexington "we have people who are understanding the needs." spartanburg "i hope the general assembly as a whole does not get bogged down in debate." ww, wis news 10 economy airline passengers may soon have a better screen for their in-flight entertainment. panasonic is building an ultra-thin, 13-inch, high- definition touchscreen display. and they won't show only videos provided by the airline. they'll also connect with your smartphone and charge it. the new seat-back screens have already been deployed in the economy class sections of emirates airlines. a coin collector paid nearly 2 million dollars for this old dime. the 1894-s barber is one of the
5:36 pm
according to heritage auctions....the san francisco mint made about 2-point-5 million of these dimes, but fewer than 10 are still known to exist. it was auctioned off in tampa on thursday. an eight months pregnant donut shop employee and two customers were held up at gunpoint last night near palm springs, california. security footage shows an armed suspect walking into a donut shop... and holding the pregnant clerk and two other people at gunpoint. he fires a shot into the ceiling and demands money. no one was injured. in fact, the robber calmly put his gun away and walked out of the store... money in hand. . thanks to new jersey state troopers a pregnant woman safely gives birth on the side of a highway... and the delivery is caught on tape. "here ya go... 1, 2, 3 push." a woman and her husband were rushing to a hospital when their baby decided it was time to
5:37 pm
the couple pulled over and called 9-1-1. the troopers found mom already in labor and assisted in the delivery. we're told mom and baby are doing well. a homeless man in northern california is recovering in the hospital after being dumped in a garbage truck. the chico fire department says a homeless man was sleeping in a dumpster when the waste management truck made the pick up. the truck driver says they made four more stops before they heard the man screaming. "unfortunately, there were no signs of someone inside the dumpster. they made several stops before they noticed or heard that someone was inside the dumpster." the driver says the trash compacter in the truck is run at every stop. no word on the man's condition. a snowy owl was captured mid-flight by a traffic camera in montreal over the weekend. the national audubon society
5:38 pm
snowy owl seems to be turning up more frequently in the skies of north america than in the pages of a harry potter book. because they typically travel only in search of food, they are rarely seen outside the arctic. coming up on wis -- counting down to the golden globes! the potential winners and losers and more on what comedian ricky gervais has up his sleeve. break 2015's best in tv and movies marco rubio thinks it's unfair to criticize him for missing votes. "but i am going to miss votes, i'm running for president." but he's been missing votes for a long time. "one third of all of his missed votes in 2015 were missed before he announced he was running for president." over the last three years, marco rubio has missed more votes... than any other senator. washington politician marco rubio.
5:39 pm
but wants a promotion? right to rise usa is responsible for the content of this message. meet the moore's! we're the moore family, and we're always looking for ways to enjoy more. so we called time warner cable and got even more than we expected. more speed. more tv shows and movies on demand. more places to make more unlimited calls. they even made it easy to switch with a one hour arrival window. for $89.99 a month, you'll get 30 meg internet, tv, and phone. plus free installation, with a one hour arrival window, tv equipment and epix included.
5:40 pm
and a familiar face and sharp tongue will be back to host the proceedings......comedian ricky gervais returns for his fourth time as host. mark barger reports. :29 nats "seems like everything was 3d this year, except the characters in the tourist". ricky gervais made golden globes snark nats "it must be good, because it's nominated, so shut up!" almost as buzzed about as its awards. "his humor is always that one step over the line of being appropriate." but the globes kept bringing gervais back for more. nats "the man who'll wear literally anything tim burton tells him to ---- johnny depp" "they said i'd never be invited back. when i was invited back, i did it to show peoplplthey were wrong." after turning the hosting chores over to tina fey and amy poehler for the
5:41 pm
three years... nats "taylor swift, you stay away from michael j. fox's son!" they've passed the torch back. "i treat it like a gig. i treat it more like a standup show than a t tshow." that means sharpening his comedic knives. nats "looking at all your faces reminds me of the great work that's been done this year...by cosmetic surgeons" "yes, he runs the risk of angering some people and hurting some feelings, but you know it's going to be entertaining." a man on a comedic tightrope "i haven't even seen the tourist. who has?" in front of an audience of millions. "this could offend everyone in the world. or, they might like it, but it's the not knowing that's exciting." and it is part of the golden globes' appeal. mark barger, nbc news. janet jackson is telling fans she does not have cancer. less than two weeks ago, she postponed her "unbreakable" tour to have an unspecified surgical procedure - sparking rumors that the singer has throat cancer. she promises the postponed shows
5:42 pm
also trending-- channing tatum's rendition of beyonc\'s "run the world" on spike's lip sync battle was the biggest surprise of the night. after emerging in full make-up, costume, and wig, tatum impressively whipped out beyonc\'s dance moves. and as if that wasn't enough for a winning performance, he sealed the deal with the help of queen b herself. tatum, and the rest of us, bowed to her. beyonon also making a big appearance .... at the super bowl! she will join british rockers coldplay during the halftime show. the last time beyonce performed at the superbowl was in 2013 ... when she was briefly joined by the other members of destiny child. super bowl 50 takes place february 7th at levi's stadium in santa clara, california. thanks for joining us for the news at 5. we'll be right back.
5:43 pm
good evening and welcome to the
5:44 pm
thanks for joining us this evening. i'm charles molineaux. the latest powerball jackpot has already broken america's all-time record. and by tomorrow's drawing it could approach the billion dollars mark. but state lottery officials want
5:45 pm
jack kuenzie is here with more. judi and charles, you might think the folks running the south carolina education lottery would be encouraging players to do more than take one chance on winning. but that's not the case. the jackpot is currently at $800 million---up a hundred million from just yesterday and likely to shoot up again sometime tomorrow. and while that figure keeps changing---and on the next update again shred the previous all-time record set back in 2012 in the mega-millions game---the odds of winning the big one in the current powerball stay the same. so lottery officials here tell players---buy one ticket, but don't think buying more than one will increase your chance of winning. the lottery industry holds that your odds are the same whether you buy one ticket or you buy ten tickets. because on that one ticket your odd is one in 292 million. the education lottery director says as the grand prize has grown---there's been concern here that
5:46 pm
the limits of their
5:47 pm
5:48 pm
5:49 pm
5:51 pm
5:52 pm
5:53 pm
5:54 pm
5:55 pm
5:57 pm
5:58 pm
5:59 pm

188 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on