Skip to main content

tv   WIS News 10 Midday  NBC  January 19, 2016 12:00pm-12:30pm EST

12:00 pm
wednesday, mostly sunny, chilly, highs middle 40s. thursday, increasing clouds, a chance of showers by evening, highs lower 50s. rain chance 20%. a strong storm system develops to our west and will bring widespread rain by friday, some system moves out by early saturday, colder air behind the storm may sneak into the area on the back end in time for a flurry or two early saturday. sunday looks mostly sunny, highs near 50. the cold weather combined with a water main break caused headaches for people on their morning commute in west columbia. crews had to close sunset boulevard near jarvis headaches for people on their morning commute in west columbia. crews had to close sunset boulevard near jarvis klapman boulevard after water leaking from a water main froze on the road...forming a sheet of
12:01 pm
the city of west columbia says crews will be working on that line today and drivers should expect slowdowns in the area. officials say only the poultry processing facility in the 300 block of sunset is impacted by a boil water advisory now in place. several areas throughout the midlands are still recovering from october's devastating floods. and tonight, richland county leaders want home and business owners to know they're n n alone in the recovery process. our michal higdon has more on meetings taking place this week to prevent more problems in the future. if you have paperwork and photos from october's flood or recurrent flooding that's affected your home -- richland county officials want you gather all of that documentation for an important strategizing meeting tonight. richland cououy leaders are looking to develop a future flood mitigation plan. right now there is still very visible damage at homes in neighborhoods hardest hit from october's floods. richland county, the gills creek watershed and watershed. while construction crews are
12:02 pm
rebuilding as quickly as possible.... the meeting itself will include teractive mapping stations, questionnaires and opportunities for residents to submit comments and share information about damage they've experienced from flooding. cain boozer: "what could be done different or what could they offer? the infrastructure, the dams need to be updated. you know, past that level i really don't know. i think that the community stepped up big time though." the first of several flood- input meetings will be tonight at st. andrews park in columbia. the address is right there on your screen and is set to start at 5:30. the meetings are open to richland county residents, business owners, elected officials, emergency responders and other parties affected by october's flood. if you can't make the one
12:03 pm
more you can attend. that list is on our website, wistv.com. reporting from the newsroom, wis news 10. today, firefighters are working to figure out what started an overnight house fire. fire crews had to go back out on scene at the home on olde springs road early this morning at hot spots rekindled early this morning. the home is at the back entrance of spring valley where it intersects with flora drive. the richland county fire marshall's office is investigating. we're awaiting autopsy results on a man killed in a motorcycle crash in north augusta last night. emergency crews pronounced 32-year-old anthony ramirez dead at the scene on pisgah road. authorities say the cause of the crash may have been a significant road defect. out. toxicology tests are underway as well. office has requested the help of an anthropologist to identify human remains. they were found sunday in a wooded area off highway 153.
12:04 pm
there for months and there's no way to determine the age, gender or race right now. sled is also helping investigators. authorities are investigating after back- to-back crashes killed a woman whose body ended up in lake marion. the clarendon county coroner says michelle hickson of florence was involved in a crash on i-95 near the orangeburg county line. they say she then got out of her car and was hit by another car and fell into the lake. a dnr dive team pulled her body from the lake monday. sumtetepolice say they've received a phone call from a woman reported missing. investigators say 27- year-old shardae davis told a detective she was ok, but didn't want to go to police because of an outstanding shoplifting warrant in horry investigators say they still consider her missing until they can meet her in person. officers say they are e so still looking for herbert t butler for questioiong in davis' disappearance. he's wanted on a domestic warrant. officers found davis'
12:05 pm
old children alone friday evening at their home. anyone with information is asked to call crimestoppers at 1-888- crime-sc. get your w-2 forms ready. today is the start of the tax-filing season and the irs started accepting tax returns this morning. the agency expects to receive more than 150 million individual returns. the deadline this year is a little bit later than normal -- april 18th, instead of the 15th because of emancipation day. the richland county councilman who was arrested just weeks ago on tax charges has been removed from an important council committee. the council chairman tells wis that councilman kelvin washington has been taken off the county's transportation ad hoc committee, which oversees projects related to the county's transportation penny. that penny program is still under the microscope after an audit by the department of revenue found discrepancies. councilman norman jackson has also been taken off the committee. councilman seth rose has been added on. the chairman is still looking for the second
12:06 pm
a collection of proposals tonight meant to fix problems with the program. "well, i've taken an active role by sponsoring the motions that i think will be a major start in the corrections that are needed with the penny program, and i wantntd to be a part of the committee, so i could help advocate for these motions and other measures that i think will be very important going forward." chairman torrey rush said all committees are reappointed at the beginning of the year, so he decided to reshuffle the committee. wis reached out to councilman for comment but didn't hear back. however, councilman jackson said he was very upset that he was removed. carowinds is now hiring 4-thousand associates for its upcoming season. the amusement park is gearing up for the debut of two new attractions, including the all new carolina harbor-- the carolina's largest water park. jobs range from concessions to marketing and entertainment. you can apply online or in-person at the park. a new year means a fresh start.
12:07 pm
back to school this morning, this time in their new classrooms. staff at cardinal newman opened their doors to families and students in the midlands this morning hosting the first day of classes in their new school. the new 50-acre campus on alpine road includes 35 classrooms, 2 gymnasiums and multiple athletic fields. cardinal newman principal says they're already feeling at home and adds the day was an emotional one for everyone. "i've shed many tears, i'll tell you and especially over the past 2 weeks as we actually moved things in and started to get settled but when i stood at the door to welcome students coming in, the reality really hit that he we are today with what we have been waiting for, for such a long long time." she adds it's been a long time coming. the move comes after the students and staff outgrew their previous 54-year-old forest drive campus.
tv-commercial
12:08 pm
noon... the latest on the americans freed by iran in a a isoner swap. the reaction from families and the next step for the group.
12:09 pm
when it comes to connecting to the world online, people have different needs. whether it's keeping up with loved ones or keeping up with the latest trends... at&t u-verse high speed internet lets you get the fast and affordable internet that's right for you. get high speed internet-just $15 dollars a month for 12 months with other qualifying service and a one-year term. all on one bill! no matter what you use it for, you'll get fast speed at an affordable price. connect all your wi-fi enabled devices at home with high speed internet... and save on smartphone and tablet data usage. just $15 dollars a month lets you watch online videos,
12:10 pm
with reliable internet that works when and how you want it. get high speed internet-just $15 dollars a month for 12 months with other ququifying service and a one-year term. all on one bill! high speed internet that's fast and affordable at just $15 dollars a month. call now and get a $100-dollar reward card with this great offer! only from at&t. call an at&t expert to switch today. carson is campaigning in the
12:11 pm
carson will hold a meet and greet at the charleston rotary club over in mount pleasant. they meet at 12:30. he'll also address the greater lowcountry republican club at the country club of charleston. carson spoke to a crowd of about 200 people at brookland baptist church in west columbia last night. attorney general alan wilson moderated the forum. carson touched on illegal immigration and defeating isis. he also voiced his support of the second amendment. "where we are right now is very serious. we're at the precipice. we're about to go over the precipice. if we go over it, i do not think we will be able to return." earlier in the day, carson spoke at a king day breakfast in myrtle beach. the republican n tional
12:12 pm
february's super tuesday debate, and will instead partner with cnn. the rnc had suspended its nbc partnership after the republican debate on cnbc back in october. many republicans criticized how that debate was handled and say cnbc's moderators had a mean-spirited tone while presenting a series of "gotcha" questions. the "super tuesday" debate is february 25th. on the other side of the aisle, nbc says sunday's presidential debate was the third most watched democratic debate in history. and martin o'malley took the stage in charleston. the network says the debate was watched by more than 12 point five million viewers. sunday's debate reportedly attracted more young viewers debates. today we're learning more about the way those american prisoners released by iran were treated during their time in prison. nbc's keir simmons reports their recovery will be a slow process. :11-:15 :34-:40 :40-:46 1:03-1:23
12:13 pm
enjoying time with his wife, mom and brother. who says jason asked about baseball and his basketball team - the warriors - s/ ali rezaian/ jason rezaian's brother :11-:15 'he actually knew how the warriors were doing, that's how big a fan he is, from evin prison he's been in that notorious iranian prison. jason says at one point he spent 49 days in solitary confinement. his only exercise - in an eight by eight foot concrete yard. amir hekmati. reunited with his sisters and brother in law. describes being tortured by iran's revolutionary guard. s/ dan kildee/ representative of michigan's 5th district :34-:40 'he was in solitary confinement in a one meter by one meter cell cell for a very long time and deprived of sleep.' psychologists at this u-s base are assessing the men's state of mind. a representative of freed prisoner saeed abedini, jailed for three and a half years, tells nbc news saeed is yet to see his family... while another man. former f-b-i agent bob levinson is still missing in iran. iran consistently denies knowledge of his disappearance and has offered to help in
12:14 pm
s/ keir simmons/ nbc news/ landstuhl, germany 1:03-1:23 at one point the iranians even tried to stop jason rezaian's wife and mother from leaving iran with him according to the family. both he and amir hekmati are now undergoing medical evaluation here, but one representative tells me both physically and spiritually they're doing great. back to you. winning more than 500- million dollars can make a lot of things possible. what a tennessee couple says they're enjoying after they won the powerball....and the things they say are staying the same. temperatures started in the teens in many places as cold high pressure is in charge today though wednesday. today, sunny and cold, highs lower 40s. tonight, clear, cold, lows near 20 to lower 20s. wednesday, mostly sunny, chilly, highs middle 40s. thursday, increasing clouds, a chance of showers by evening, highs lower 50s.
12:15 pm
temperatures started in the teens in many places as cold high pressure is in charge today though wednesday. today, sunny and cold, highs
tv-commercial
12:16 pm
tonight, clear, cold, lows near 20 to lower 20s. wednesday, mostly sunny, chilly, highs middle 40s. thursday, increasing clouds, a chance of showers by evening, highs lower 50s. rain chance 20%. a strong storm system develops to our west and will bring widespread rain by friday, some rain may be heavy. highs in the middle 50s, rain chance 80%. system moves out by early
12:17 pm
behind the storm may sneak into the area on the back end in time for a flurry or two early sunday looks mostly sunny, highs near 50. wednesday. today, sunny and cold, highs lower 40s. tonight, clear, cold, lows near 20 to lower 20s. wednesday, mostly sunny, chilly, highs middle 40s. thursday, increasing clouds, a chance of showers by evening, highs lower 50s.
12:18 pm
20%. a strong storm system develops to our west and will bring widespread rain by friday, some rain may be heavy. highs in the middle 50s, rain chance 80%. system moves out by early heating safety in your home when temperatures drop this low. they say keep the space around any portable space heaters, furnaces and fireplaces clear by at least 3 feet. they also say never use your oven to heat your home. as always, test your smoke alarms monthly and have your heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every
12:19 pm
today, we have a look into how the lives of a tennessee couple have changed since they won part of last week's record-setting powerball jackpot. john and lisa robnson revealed the winning ticket on the today show last friday. nbc's been following the couple through this whirlwind time. natalie morales has more on what's changed and what's stayed the same. its probably not an exaggeration to say that in the last week, john and lisa robinson's life has changed... :06 natsot newser with big $528 million check 16:43:45 "y'all have to have one of these... ...in about 528-million ways... :03 natsot ...and this statement... :02 natsot newser 16:32:35 john "we're common people, we're just like y'all are..." ...is one of them. sot: lisa interview 19:55:58 "its been an overwhelming experience and today show friday we've been with the robinsons since friday... :02 natsot: savannah 7:01:17 "they want to here..." ...when they told the world
12:20 pm
on today they'd won a share of the billion dollar powerball jackpot... :06 nashville lottery office ...then flying to nashville to validate their ticket. :03 getting in the van still not quite absorbing it yet... :02 natsot robinson lottery winners 01:20:15 john: "i'm feeling uncertain... ...they worried, like any of us might... :02 lisa: we're just good ole :03 graceland tour but with their newfound fame they got a private tour of elvis' mansion, graceland - something lisa always wanted to do. :07 sot: tdy lottery winner 20:32:01 john: "we're getting special treatment just because i did win the lottery..." robinsons meet randy owen and an invite to the country ball, sponsored by st. jude's children's hospital, where they met some country music elite, like randy owen, lead singer of "alabama". :09 natsot lisa: 00:00:06 "we know who you are..." natsot: lottery drawing... now less than a week after this changed their lives forever... :03 natsot drawing robinson lottery winners at home ...the robinsons are back in munford, tennessee... :03 natsot lisa: 01:24:33 "whoop i'm home...i'm in my home... ...happy to be home... :02 natsot robinson lottery winners lisa "home sweet home honey...yup..." but the enormity is starting to sink in - and it's more than just the size
12:21 pm
sot lisa 19:57:20/19:57:45 "i love my hondas and i can't even drive my own cars right now lisa was back at work monday...john is planning to go back today... in the end, though, maybe john had it today... in the end, though, maybe john had it right. :06 sot john 20:32:2323 "i got my wife on my arm, what more could i ask for? i've got plenty of money now..." that was natalie morales reporting. the other two people with winning powerball tickets have yet to come forward. cam newton has won a lot of awards in his career... and the latest addition to his
12:22 pm
extra meaning. we'll tell you more coming up. carolina panthers star quarterback cam newton these patients could have received their cancer care at many hospitals. but they came to cancer treatment centnts of america in metro atlanta because we focus only on the treatment of cancer. that's just one important way we're different from other hospitals. here, our centers for advanced oncology have taken specialized care to ththnext level in the here, you'll have one medical team, excellence and compassionate care. we combine the skills of a highly synchronized team of experts with advanced genomic testing and technology to treat your specific cancer while reducing the side effects of treatment. that's how our approach to integrative cancer care works.
12:23 pm
decided to treat here. welcome to the evolution of cancer care. to learn more about how our centers for advanced oncology treat breast and lung cancer-visit cancercenter.com/atlanta. appointments are available now. marco rubio. he ran for senate saying he opposed amnesty... then he flipped, and worked with liberal chuck schumer to co-author the path to citizenship bill. he threatened to vote against it. and then voted for it. he supported his own dream act and then he abandoned it. marco rubio. just another washington politician you can't trust. jeb bush. he's a leader, so you always know where he stands. right to rise usa
12:24 pm
accolade from his own teammates. the team announced newton is its 2015 ed block courage award winner. the award is named after the longtime head athletic trainer of the baltimore colts who was not only respected in his field, but also as a humanitarianan it honororone player from each nfl team who shows courage on and off the field. newton was selected for the honor in a vote by his
tv-commercial
12:25 pm
temperatures started in the teens in many places as cold high pressure is in charge today though wednesday. today, sunny and cold, highs lower 40s. tonight, clear, cold, lows near 20 to
12:26 pm
(phone ringing) you can't deal with something, by ignoring it. but that's how some presidential candidates seem to be dealing with social security. americans work hard, and pay into it. so our next president needs a real plan to keep it strong. (elephant noise) (donkey noise)
12:27 pm
>> announcer: the following is a paid presentation for cize, brought to you by beachbody. >> get ready to cize it up. [ beat drops ] [ people cheering ] are you ready to dance? 5, 6, 7, 8! >> on my way in i'ma take it walk straight i'ma put it on a playlist >> my name is shaun t. welcome to cize, the program that's gonna teach you how to dance. >> girl, jump with the rhythm >> in 30 days, i'm going from a non-dancer to being able to do six routines. and i would say i'm a dancer now. >> i was not a dancer when i
tv-commercial
12:28 pm
but i pop in that dvd and start
12:29 pm

19 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on