Skip to main content

tv   WIS News 10 at 4PM  NBC  January 26, 2016 4:00pm-4:30pm EST

4:00 pm
minute"!i'm charles molineaux. this is your first look at what's happening right now in the milands. new at four... investigators a a now saying who the man was who was shot and killed by the victims of an robbery at a columbia barber shop. the richland county coroner says adeyemi hannibal was one of two men who tried to hold up the "next up barber and beauty shop" on fort jackson boulevard. shop surveillance video shows the two men stormed into the barbershop with guns and wearing masks. police say two of the victims pulled out guns of their own and started shooting. hannibal was hit and later died. the other man got away. if you have any information on who he could be, call crimestoppers at 1-888- crime-sc. a federal jury is deliberating for the second
4:01 pm
men accused of taking part in a sports betting operation. one of them--the father of double murderer brett he joins us live with the latest. dawndy--the retrial of jack parker and doug taylor moved very quickly. opening statements yesterday---ananclosing arguments late this morning. both men have been down this path before. convicted in 2013 on federal gambling charges---but those convictions overturned by the 4th circuit court of appeals. the appeals panel said the government had dragged its feet in providing the defense with discovery material. jack parker of course, is the father of brett parker---now serving two life sentences for the april 2012 murders of his wife tammie and their mutual friend bryan capnerhurst---who was partners with brett parker in his bookie business. the sports betting operation came to a crashing halt on the day of the murders in irmo's ascot estates subdivision. the killings and the trial that followed were highly publicized here and nationally. but there's been no mention of them in this brief trial. lawyers have skirted around the issue and tried to focus on the accusations here
4:02 pm
parker and taylor violated federal anti-gambling statutes by being part of a ring of at least five people---and one that operated for 30 days while bringing in revenues of at least a day. all of those elements are critical to the government's case. defense attorneys have zeroed in on the prosecution's contention that there were five---discounting in particular the parker could be counted---along with others who make up what the government identifies as "layoff" participants. those are sort of standby members of a gambling operation who help prevent losses from getting out of control. the jury got the case around 2:45...and has begun deliberations. new at four...a lockdown has been lifted at the lexington county school district one building. officers are searching for two people connected to a burglary in the corley woods neighborhood of augusta road and u.s. highway 1. the search began just after
4:03 pm
the lockdown was done as a precaution. investigators now say an interstate murder suspect who died in a shootout with law enforcement in columbia actually killed himself. 42 year old damon james was wanted for murder in texas. he was accused of shooting and killing his girlfriend in october of 2014. us marshalls got word james was in columbia and yesterday, members of a joint task force tried to serve an arrest warrant on him at byron road apartments . james shot at deputies. they shot back and wounded him. james made it back to his car and then police say they heard one gunshot. "these are folks that are evading justice, they do not want to be apprehended. and often times, and unfortunately they do everything they can do not to be apprehended." hasn't officially ruled james' death a suicide, but he says at this point -- it appears the wound that killed him was
4:04 pm
a sunny tuesday in the midlands as we take a live look over the capital city through the wis skycam. meteorologist ben tanner is in the first alert weather center with more on changes that are on the way this week. today, mostly sunny, warm highs middle 60s tonight, rain developing, lows middle 40s. rain chance 40% wednesday-thursday: cloudy, cooler with periods of showers/rain. rain chance 80% wed 60% thursday clearing by friday today, mostly sunny, warm highs middle 60s tonight, rain developing, lows rain chance 40% wednesday-thursday: cloudy, cooler with periods of showers/rain. rain chance 80% wed 60% thursday clearing by friday just coming into the alert
4:05 pm
an adult is dead and there are multiple reported injuries after a school bus crash near indianapolis. -lawrence township: early reports indicate twenty five children were on the bus when it jumped a curb, struck a vehicle in the parking lot of an elementary school. -up to 5 people, some children--injured. -transported to local hospitals. -two ten year olds taken to children's hospital in serious condition. -initial reports--updates as we learn more. officials say there are no signs of a shooting after reports of an active shooter at a southern california naval center this morning. the naval medical center san diego was locked down after someone reported hearing three shots in the basement of one of the buildings. while an intensive search turned up nothing this morning, officials are
4:06 pm
caught on video shooting a man "will" be able to have outside tests done on evidence in his case. the judge in the case of michael slager has signed an order to let slager's uniform and his taser stun gun be tested. slager was wearing that uniform and carrying that taser the day he shot and killed walter scott after a traffic stop. his lawyers believe the tests will show scott got control of the taser before the shooting. both sides have agreed to a february 12th deadline. slager is charged with murder . he's now out on bond. police want your help to track down an escaped convict. investigators say 26- year-old zachery lee reaves walked away from a pre-release center in rock hill just before 9 last night. he was last seen wearing his tan d-o-c uniform. reaves was serving an 8-year burglary sentence. tonight columbia mayor steve benjamin will lay out his vision for the capital city during his annual state of the city address. a big focus for benjamin will likely be october's devastating flooding....and what
4:07 pm
in the recovery process. the mayor's address is tonight at 6 in city hall. we'll be there and will have more for you tonight on wis. former columbia city councilman brian dequincey newman has resigned as chairman of the central midlands regional transit authority. newman's attorney bakari sellars confirmed newman resigned from cmrta monday. no reason was given for his resignation. earlier this month, newman and richland county councilman kelvin washington were hit with tax charges. newman pleaded guilty on charges of failing to file state returns for 2012 and 2013. newman's law license was suspended by the south carolina supreme court on january 8th. inside the state house- state representative mike pitts is doubling down on his proposed bill which would require all south carolina journalists to register but he also told our will whitson,he's not sure his idea will go anywhere. will joins us live in the newsroom.
4:08 pm
nine press outlets at his news conference he does not believe journalists in the state should have to register- like what is proposed in his bill- but he does hope the bill is debated- pitts both praised journalism as a watchdog of democracy- before telling each of the nine outlets he didn't believe press in the state lived up to the standard. "i saw a bias. i saw editorializing instead of reporting." alone at the podium in the south carolina state house lobby- upstate representative mike pitts delved into his reasons for the "responsible journalism" bill, which garnered notoriety for it's requirement that all journalists should register with the state. more than once he came back to a particular story from charleston's post and courier- greenville "the post and courier led off a report, with a paragraph about the flag debate."
4:09 pm
was on campaign spending- which stated pitts broke no laws in the way he used his campaign funds. pitts spoke at length about what he called media bias- but the examples he cited kept coming back to this one report. greenville "the usa today picked it up, and took it on a series of writings on campaign spending and took it to campaign expenditure, to illegal campaign expense. then shepard smith with fox news took it to the point of spending thousands of taxpayer dollars." on the bill itself, pitts says he's not sure what will happen to it, and lawmakers haven't expressed a lot of desire to debate it. but, holding a pen fashioned from a 30 ought 6 brass casing, pitts bridged his argument between the first amendment and the second. greenville
4:10 pm
and both should remain protected." using the process for a concealedeapons permit- pitts wants to apply the same rules for the constitution's well- regulated militia to the free press. in his news conference, representative pitts said only a portion of his statement would be used in each media report. since we only have 90 seconds to tell a story, that's true. but the press conference in its entirety is available online. just look for this story on the homepage. ww wis news 10 . the palmetto state's jobs picture is staying strong. today the south carolina department of employment and workforce reported that unemployment in the state stayed unchanged in december at 5.5 percent. while that number stayed the same, the number of people working in the state actually went up by more than 10-thousand. nationally, the unemployment rate held steady at 5 percent in december. 100 new jobs are coming to
4:11 pm
a company that will make cushions and pillows for outdoor and indoor furniture is relocating to the area. 3-i products announced it is investing three million dollars to renovate an existing building near interstate 77. the plant is expected to fully open in the spring. jobs will be created over five years. there will soon be a new man in charge of the chapin police department. today the town announced it hired seth zeigler to lead the department. zeigler is a chapin native and has been serving as a captain of the patrol dvision for the west columbia police department. he worked in there for the last 17 years. his father, bill zeigler, was the chief of the chapin fire department. he will start february 8th. the contenders are piling up a new crop of ads... and endorsements in the 2016 presidential race. up next on wis at 4: we'll check the score on the first, big, home stretch of the campaign. and help is coming from far and wide as washington digs out of
4:12 pm
your first alert traffic starts on... he was rated a+ by the nra. not for his promises, but for defending the second amendment... he's a man of deep faith,
tv-commercial tv-commercial
4:13 pm
for the right to life. he laid out a plan to destroy isis months before paris. he'll strengthen our border and use conservative principles to put washington's broken fiscal house back in order. jeb bush. he's the conservative you can trust, to fight for our beliefs. right to rise usa is responsible
4:14 pm
less than a week from the iowa caucus, a legendary name for conservatives is lining up behind donald trump. and the democrats are making their cases in one last push too. dianne gallagher has the latest on the race for iowa...dianne? :19-:23 :24-:27 :46-:51 :54-:57 in their final stop on the national stage before iowans go to caucus - the democrats didn't come face to face with each other in monday night's cnn town hall but all three were front and center. how ya feeling a week out? presidential candidate i'm excited. but they did face questions from voters, with senator bernie sanders and former secretary of state hillary clinton making their differences clear. presidential candidate first of all, i have a much
4:15 pm
vote, which i said was a mistake. today, republican donald trump scored a major evangelical endorsement -- jerry falwell junior, the son of the founder of liberty university, where trump appeared earlier this month. two former 2016-ers also throwing their weight behind current candidates -- with new york governor george pataki going all-in for marco rubio. i have enormous confidence that marco rubio is ready today to be president of the united states. and former texas governor rick perry, texas that's why i'm supporting ted cruz. speaking in a new ad directly to voters in iowa where cruz is polling neck and neck with trump, according to the latest from quinnipiac. trump leads the texas republican 31 to 29- percent. rubio is a distant third with 13- percent. but it could all change with more than a third of iowans polled saying they still may change their mind, come caucus time. and there is one last chance for the republicans to make a national impression before that at the fox news this afternoon, crews are still clearing snow piles off washington, d-c area roads after a weekend snowstorm dumped 2 to
4:16 pm
capital. giant snowblowers removed snow from interstates throughout the district after this weekend's winter storm. city officials say one snow-melting machine has already arrived from indiana to help with street-clearing efforts, and they ararexpecting a second. while thousands of workers are digging out the d-c area, it could take days for life in the region to return to normal. after a forced two-day shutdown of the city's metro system, metro buses and trains are finally up and running. time now for an update on your weather. for that we turn to meteorologist ben tanner. today, mostly sunny, warm highs middle 60s tonight, rain developing, lows middle 40s. rain chance 40% wednesday-thursday: cloudy, cooler with periods of showers/rain. rain chance 80% wed 60% thursday clearing by friday today, mostly sunny, warm highs wednesday-thursday: cloudy, cooler with periods of showers/rain.
4:17 pm
wednesday-thursday: cloudy, cooler with periods of showers/rain. rain chance 80% wed 60% clearing by friday today, mostly sunny, warm highs middle 60s tonight, rain developing, lows middle 40s. rain chance 40% wednesday-thursday: cloudy, cooler with periods of rain chance 80% wed 60%
4:18 pm
warm highs middle 60s tonight, rain developing, lows middle 40s. rain chance 40% wednesday-thursday: clouou, today, mostly sunny, warm highs middle 60s tonight, rain developing, lows showers/rain. rain chance 80% wed 60% thursday clearing by friday chance 40% wednesday-thursday: cloudy, cooler with periods of showers/rain. rain chance 80% wed 60% thursday clearing by friday today, mostly sunny, warm highs middle 60s tonight, rain developing, lows showers/rain. rain chance 80% wed 60%
4:19 pm
today, mostly sunny, warm highs iddle 60s tonight, rain developing, lows middle 40s. rain chance 40% thursday clearing by friday today, mostly sunny, warm highs the carolina panthers are preparing for their big super bowl showdown against denver and they now know which jerseys the team
4:20 pm
panthers players will don the black jerseys february seventh. the broncos, who are the home jerseys. alternate jerseys aren't allowed in the super bowl, so that cancels out carolina's blue tops. in the franchise's first super bowl appearance, the panthers wore white. we still don't know whether the panthers will wear silver or black pants. tonight, the usc men's basketball team looks to rebound from its most recent loss. the gamecocks take the court tonight at home against mississippi state. usc suffered its second loss of the season saturday to tennessee. tonight's game is at 7pm on the sec network team is looking to keep its winning ways rolling this thursday. the gamecocks welcome ole miss to colonial life arena in two days. the ladies are coming off a hard fought win on the road against the number 10 mississippi state bulldogs. the game tips off at 7 pm on the
4:21 pm
a bridge in western pennsylvania
4:22 pm
this morning, crews imploded the steel structure of the hulton bridge. the old bridge was destroyed
4:23 pm
newly constructed $66- million dollar bridge next to it is now open to traffic. the bridge spans the allegheny river between oakmont and harmar township, about 10 miles northeast of pittsburgh. let's get an update on your weather with ben. today, mostly sunny, warm highs middle 60s tonight, rain developing, lows middle 40s. rain chance 40% wednesday-thursday: cloudy, cooler with periods of showers/rain. rain chance 80% wed d 0% thursday clearing by friday that's all for now. we'll see you again at 5. download the news 10 app for
4:24 pm
4:25 pm
4:26 pm
4:27 pm
4:28 pm
4:29 pm

26 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on