Skip to main content

tv   Late Night With Seth Meyers  NBC  December 12, 2016 11:37pm-12:28am CST

11:37 pm
[ cheers and applause ] ?? >> aouncerfrom rkefeller plaza in new york, 's "late night with seth meyers." tonight julie chen, fromscream queenctress billie lrd, best selling author and "new yo timescolumnist maureedowd featuring the 8g band with veom ?? [ cheers and applause ] seth meyers.? ? g>> set how is everybody tonig? [ chee and applause doin fantastic. always nice when people are in mooon a mony. let's t to the news. donald trump will attend gural first week in office. one in washington d.c. and then
11:38 pm
moow. t la[ ghhter ]? the cia conclud this wkend usmo otion to influence the election, and help dald trump icwaha enronouncing cia wrong?# adt# >> seth: cia? laugerlausngd. but atot how yina. is is w you get .im aua inornate my lead harry reid recently said ianters "not as bad as i thought he would be." geez buddy, how w reour expectatio?
11:39 pm
harry reid is the guy that gets in ha rat bucket atfc and says well, they're trying their best. [ light laughter ] it is extra crispy. hillary clinton ga a speech st week criticizing the epidemic of fake news being spread, or maybe she didn't. [ light laughter ] wisconsin has finished its recount with donald trump beating hillary clinton by 162 more votes than his original total. and i'm not saying that russia here's a photo putin from rlier today. [ laughter and applause ] china's hight court ruled last week tmi thrio hina in jrs. "i thought that meanbravy, sa. ?[ light laughter ] astirgly begun offeng botox treatments
11:40 pm
just check outhe? after picture for this rejuvenated pair. [ lauger and applause ] qantas airlines is set to launch a new 17 ? hour flightro aulia to london, wch will be the longest non-stop route in e'the world. beating cuent record, a road trip with your dad. no'r and filla x shop in spain acg critism after making a nativity scene usi ceramic di. though people are mainly upset they took two of the dildos from the menorah. [ light laughter ] ladies and gentlemen=i, we have great show for you tonight. [ cheers and applause ] she is the host and moderator of
11:41 pm
[ cheers and applause ?]?n?? u know her from "scream eens" on fox, billie lourd is stopping by. [ cheers and applause ] and, she is a "new york times" columnist, and best selling author. her latest book, "the year of voting dangerously: the derangement of american politics" is out now, maureen dowd is stopping by the show. [ cheers and applause ] very excited about this. so on thursday, we made -- we did a piece,nd in the piece i made fun of donald trump for his pronunciation of the word "euphemism."take a look. and then they played my statement and i said "carrier will never leave," but that was a euphenism. >> seth: a euphanism? [ light laughter ] i'm not sure that's how you promounce that. [ light laughter ] that's right, because if you say a word wrong, i'm going to come down on you. i am sitting up on high, and i
11:42 pm
but, what really undercut me, was the very next word i said i mispronounced and that word was also -- >> seth: a euphanism? i'm not sure that's how you promounce that. [ light laughter ] alfo what you said, was not a euphemism. alfo. [ light laughter ] i take a guy down for getting euphemism wrong, and then i miss the two incht "also." i'm such a dickhead. [ applause ] let me clean my monocle, i believe the pronunciation is euphemism. alfo. [ light laughter ] but, of course donald trump doesn't just mispronounce words. according to a new report, the cia has concluded that the russian government intervened in
11:43 pm
not just to undermine coidces in the result, but specifically el. for more on this it's me f "a closer look." ?? [ applause ] >> seth: if you're a president elect who has faced persistent questions throughout your campaign about your close ties to a foreign adversary, one easy way to show patriotism, would be to attend the annual army-navy game. which is what trump did on saturday. but in an interview during the game, he could not suppress his inner twitter troll, offering >> i just love the armed forces. love the folks. their spirit is so incredible. i mean, i don't know iit's necessarily the best football, but it's very good. >> seth: what is wrong with you? [ light laughter ] you're the president elect and you're dissing the army-navy game? i guess he thought it was going to be the actual army against the actual navy. [ light laughter ] this is so boring. no weapons. hardly any causalities. not a single sunk battleship.
11:44 pm
of course on any normal weekend that comment might have caused a dust up. but it was overshadowed just slightly by the small matter of the cia accusing a foreign adversary of interfering in a presidential election to help one candidate win. >> breaking news tonight, "the washington post" is now reporting that a secret cia report concludzredquote,that ruia intervened in the 2016 election to help donald trump win the presidency." >> the cia believes the russian government tried to help elect donald trump. caaign?r?d& the top intelligee official tells abc that both democrats and republicans were targeted. but that only hack from the dnc was made public. >> seth: so, they only released the democrats e-mails not the republicans. although to be fair, what could possibly be in the republican e-mails that was more embarrassing than what their candidate was saying out loud in public? [ light laughter ] nald tru ia hacked e-mail come to life. did you hear? donald trump made fun of the disabled.
11:45 pm
no, into a microphone in an arena. [ laughter and applause ] now the republican national committee claims it was not hacked so there is some dispute about that. stl you might exct an incotake seriously the findings of telligence agencies at he'll need to rely on as president. instead trump's team slammed the cia in a statement that i think is fair to assume, came directly from him. "these are the se people that a of massive destruction. the election ended a lontime f u? ory. it's now time to move on, and make america great again." first of all it was not one of the biggest electoral college victories in history. it actually ranks 46th out o 58 presidential elections.?n to put that in sunday cable tv rating terms, s istrump'ot "the walking dea" he's "the barefoot contessa." [ light laughter ] cond, what do you mean the election ended a lonti a?
11:46 pm
longime ago.ld ss win was a [ er alaught applause of course this isn't -this is not the first time trump has openly rejected the findings of the intelligence community. both during, and after the campaign, he has repeatedly sought to ay tdownpl possible role of russia in the hacks. suggesti alternate theories for who might have bn behind mean, it could besia. but it couldo be china. it could alsbe lot other people, it also could be somebody on itng >> on tuesday he td "time" magazine, that quo don"i be?"lieve th interfered. it could brussia, it could be cha,nd it could be some guy atis home newerse">> set 4 homen new rsey? is hvely trying to frame chris christie? [ as trump ] guy from new jeey. he may or may not be standing right behind me. [ ghlaughter ]
11:47 pm
take anonymous claims from intelligence officials with a giant grain of salt. that's why we need a full inveigation, all the evidence public. but even before that hpens, trhas repeedly rejected the inentelligomnity's findinspite n his owinteigence briefings that russia very likely committed the dnc hack. and not only has trump refused to believe the information presented to him in his briefings, he's not even taking those briefings that often. cnn reported that trump is taking intelligence briefings only once a week. trump defended himse on interview on "fox news sunda esidential dai brief only once aeek.fp?jitbt when i need ) , is>> buthere sare ve good people that are giving me thbries. and i say, if somethinshould change from this point, immediately call me i'm available on one minute's notice i don't have to be told, you know i'm like, a smart person. >> seth: he's the thing about smart people. they don't go around telling
11:48 pm
this. >> i'm like, a smart person. [ light laughter ] h: alsi'm lia smar person is a seence that itike getting back ttoo that "i says,ke good decions.t laughter ] still to be fair to trump the president elecdoes have a busy schele and'm sure he's spending hisime on things way more important than daily intelligence briefgs. >> who wants a hat? [ cheers ] >> seth: so he's not taking is giving away free hats. hey, man, you're the preside elect and not the phoenix suns gorilla. [ ght laughter ] again, skepticism of anonymous claims from intelligence officials can be healthy, which is why we need a full investigation and the results need to be made public. because right now trump, his spokespeople in the media, can't even agree on basic facts. which at the very least has given us some fantastic new entries on a hit album "now that's what i call white guys screaming at each other on the news." >> we have been working with the fbi. >> why?
11:49 pm
>> let me ask you. >> go ahead. >> no, hang on, chuck. do you categorically rule -- >> number one, cover that. >> my question about the rnc. >> tell me a specific -- >> i'm not trying to parse it. i don't know who did the hacking, chuck. >> president elect trump is saying, move on, folks. there's nothing to see here but i need to ask you an additional question. >> no. >> speak to the point that -- wait, wait. >> that's not true! michael. >> i want you to address this. >> i don't think any foreign entity, any individual, any entity -- >> well why don't you say that? and why didn't trump say that. >> i'm saying it, michael! i just said it! [ laughter ] >> i'm just an american who's reporting on -- >> no! then answer the question, michael! >> seth: answer the question, michael! no, you answer the question. what was the question? i don't remember! [ light laughter ] what the question was. of course, trump could easily reassure critics who's saying helo to ruia, by denouncing russian influence in the election. but as he has repeatedly made clear he has a bizarre affection for vladimir putin, and his apparent choice for secretary of state isn't helping. over the weekend, it was
11:50 pm
rex tillerson. of course, with a name like rex tillerson, you can only be one of two things. ceo of a multi-national oil conglomerate, or a jack russell terrier who solves crimes. [ light laughter ] [ bark ] what's that rex? [ bark ] there was a lunar eclipse that night? the mayor's lying. [ light laughter ] trump tweeted about the possible nomination on sunday quote, "whether i choose him or not for state rex tillerson, the chairman and ceo of exxon mobil, is a world class player and deal maker stay tuned." stop telling us to stay tuned. your president elect for the next four years. like it or not, we're all [ bleep ] tuned. [ laughter and applause ] you're going to be the first president, who has commercial breaks in his state of the union. [ as trump ] and we'll have more on the heightening tensions with china, right after this message, from our sponsor, ivanka, trump hotels. [ light laughter ]
11:51 pm
would be problematic for a number reasons. among them the fact that our foreign policy could be, in effect, run by exxon mobile, a company that has been accused of covering up evidence of climate change. but, on top of that, tillerson, has close ties to putin. who gave tillerson, the russian order of friendship medal in 2013 even republicans have expressed concerns about tillerson's ties to russia. like senator lindsey graham, who promised to question tillerson at his confirmation hearing. >> senator lindsey graham told "the washington post," "i don't know the man much at all, but let's put it this way, if you received an award from the kremlin, order of friendship, then we're going to have some talking." >> seth: that's right, sassafras. you better park your biscuits in that chair because we're going to have some southern fried talking. [ light laughter ] we're about to enter a potentially dangerous period. a president with a weird affinity for authoritarians and dictators appointing plutocrats to his cabinet and fighting with america's own intelligence agencies. i don't see how trump can get away with all of this. unless he finds a way to
11:52 pm
>> who wants a hat? [ light laughter ] >> seth: this has been a closer look. ?? [ cheers and applause ] we'll be right back with
11:53 pm
come on! why doesn't verizon offer unlimited data like t-mobile? is it because their lte network was built six years ago? six years ago? that's like a hundred... in phone years! their lte network is older, slower and they limit you. switch to t-mobile, the newer, faster and unlimited network. we cover 99% of the americans verizon covers.
11:54 pm
re you want. we're going to prove just how wet and sticky your current gel antiperspirant is. now we're going to show you how degree dry spray is different. degree dry spray.
11:55 pm
?? [ cheers and alause ] >> seth: welcome back to "late nigh everydy. plea give it ur the
11:56 pm
also, 'rjoined this week by an iconic ummesittinin wi?jth the 8g band. he's a two time grammy winner and co-founder of metal icon slayer and currently a member of suicidal tendencies who's album "world gone mad" is out now. dave lombardo is here everybody. [ cheers and applause ] thank you so much for being here dave.?e >> thank you, seth. >> seth: and incredibly good timing for an album called "world gone mad." our first guest co-hosts the emmy award winning show "the talk" which airs weekdays at please welcome to the show julie chen everybody. [ cheers and applause ] ?? >> seth: hi there. >>hanks for having me. this fee very range. >> seth: oh, why is it strange? >> welbecause i've spent most of my career, if not all of it, cbs >> seth: yeah.?@
11:57 pm
>> seth: there you go and guess what? this whole thing's a trap. [ laughter ] >> i'm ready for you. >> sh:t'. >> i feel like, and i'm used to interviewing people. >> seth: yeah. >> and not being the one interviewed. so i feel like i'd be more- ?m like my heart is racing. >> seth: really? >> and i do live television every day. i feel like, i would be more comfortable if you switched seats with me. >> seth: do you want to switch seats? >> yeah, but the lighting director's gonna get mad because you look so good, and they'lbe lik "no, why did you let her switch seats?" >> seth: wl okif at any point you do want to switch seatp4 okay great. >> no, that's your seat. >> seth: because, this is my best light. 100-year-old woman. yeah. >> i'm se you dot. eth:s trueit lik-- thgo rit foth to happen. >> yeah. >> seth: speaking of setng that wouldavd beating you have been the host of big brother for 16 seons. >>t's been on 18. >> seth: 18 seasons. that's unbelievable. >> yeah. >> seth: congratulations >> thank you a renewed for next summer, our 19th. >> oh, congratulations, it's 19. >> yeah. eth: i hope you make 20. it would be a real bummer if you got cancelled after 19. >> wouldn't it? i know -- >> seth: becau you'd really -- don't takehis the wrong way.
11:58 pm
>> i know. >> seth: to get that close, and then say like, "you were not gonna do it." >> you were good for 19, but things went sour. yeah, no. gosh, i hope i'm getting it right. >> seth: i think -- well i hope so too.t you had - >>our ar partment is better >> seth: i don't know. >> sorry, go ahead. >> seth: probablnot. you this summer you had people sortf cut themselves off fm the world and from the news in september. and you actually had to be the one to told themhe election >>h: and that is not usually soing y dwith t show. >> right, the main rule is, in the "big brother" housou're completely cutoff from the outse world. >> seth: rig. >> and you're living among strangers. there were only six people left in the big brother house when the election happened and we broke the big rule. we said -- they, the producers, came to me and they said, "we want you to reveal the results of the election." because they wanted conversation, they wanto see the reaction. >> seth: of course. >> so literally -- and i tape on
11:59 pm
so they were py, lrobablerally the last six people. >> seth: yeah. >> in the entire universe to know -- >> seth: exactly. >> who won the presidential election of the united states. >> seth: was it so -- was it nice just to look at their faces before you told them and say, "this is the last fresh snow in society before i tromp through it." >> i did feel like, i , "ooh can't wait." >> seth: now here's my question. if the election hagone the otr way you obably would not have broken in and told them. >> actually, i think we probably would have just because we're always looking f s >> seth: sure. >> and contentyou know, and it would be interesng to e evioeryone's r whether they were rejoicing, or buticed when i told th about trump, not only were they shocked. but the smarter house guests stayed quiet because they knew that they're on the internet and noatter whatomes out of eir mouth ?-they're autically ing piss of halfheount. >> seth: yeah. >> so they were stike, "oh, ly?
12:00 am
get the sense, that once they fo td out, was presint erng eveo ay iho seth:o, i'm jt saying >> you are -- dh: maybe -- you getrumpo do that. sia? >> seth: sia? that was from when he hosted "saturday night live." >> oh. >> seth: i didn't get him -- how did i get him to do it? i calledim up. >> oh, no. >> seth: i said, "we have a really funny joke. i know there's an anosity between us. it's a killer."ound ] you're gonna love it. >> i was going to say, you know, the guy has a sense humor. because you at him, every night. >>eth: oh yeah, the way. he't. [ laughter and applause ] he's funny. i find h funny to waxs i n' has what yo would define, "a sense of humo" i thinhe'sunny. i do, i will give him that. there artimes where i laugh and go, "oh,hat's pretty funny." so i wanna -- well you used to cover politics and you used to do morning news. >> yes. >> seth: and now with doing your current it job isce at this current time, to be a little outside of talking about the
12:01 am
>> it really is. you know, i have run into my old colleagues at ew"cbs n and we like to gossip and i'm like, "wow you're going toave a really interesting four years. you could probably write a book." >> seth: sure. >> this is aually a very exciti >> seth: i agree. >> but it coulbe very stressful. and i feel fortunate t "the taln wek" wheant to talk about politics we can and we do. but we have been tasked with never letting the audience know we can talk about what donald trump tweeted and react to it but we can't totally show everyone how we voted or who we suppted. >> sh: that's our plan here. [ laughter ] >>hich is not easy. yeah. [ applause ] i'm ready, let's go, let's go. and then anytime it gets a little uncomfortable we can just take a big sigh of relief and say, "now let's get back to what we do with 'the talk.'" >> seth: there you go.
12:02 am
kardashians, you know, stuff that really matters. >> seth: what i do, we are in an interesting time in american history. we say, "that's too crazy. let's go back to the kardashians." >> or justin bieber. >> seth: or justin bieber. >> he's given us a lot of good stuff. >> seth: you have -- we were talking backstage you have a 7-year-old. is that correct? >> yes. first grader. >> seth: and you -- congratulations and you are celebrating an early christmas. >> yes. >> seth: his idea, your idea? >> my idea because we're actually going to be traveling -- >> seth: sure. >> on christmas day and like you knhe wants to have pack one more thing? >> seth: right. >> so, i didn't want it -- >> seth: and a 7-year-old that's a lot of presents. that's an age where you've gotta have stuff for someone. >> yeah, you know books, toys, stuff like that. >> seth: so how did you sell him on an early christmas? >> so i said -- well first of all i, personally, i was really concerned that santa wouldn't know where we are. >> seth: sure. >> so i said to charlie because we're traveling we're going to celebrate christmas early on sunday. we celebrated last night.
12:03 am
>> and he didn't need to hear any reasoning. he was just like, "i get to open presents early." >> seth: yeah. >> so i was like, "yes." but we had to write the letter to santa on saturday night. left it under the tree. carrots, cookies all that and santa is so clever. he wrote a letter back to charlie. >> seth: wow. >> yeah. he said, "you know charlie that was a long list you had. and you have been both naughty and nice so you you're not gonna evything oyour list but you yoll get some thingsnd because needs time to work on this stuff." like he asked for, i mean the list was ridiculous. he wanted a record player, certain vinyl's, like "sweet child of mine," "appetite for destruction." >> seth: oh my goodness. >> "rebel yell." >> seth: he's 7. >> he's 7 but i have been teaching him songs from my heyday to be honest. >> seth: sure, right, right. >> he wanted a disco ball, like roller skates, a skateboard. it was just too much. so santa said, you know if
12:04 am
home we're working on the record player and some of the vinyls, not all of them. but if your're bad and you don't listen to your parents. that won't be waiting for you when you get home. >> seth: so santa, had your back. >> santa is a -- sans the thirparent in is marriage. >> seth: that's fantastic. >> we're very progressive. >> seth: yeah. >> i love saa. seth: i like, b?yy the way -- in my life i never had such a back and forth with santa where i asked for things and he explained that some of them were unreasle and that other things needed moreime. >> yeah, no. givet a try. >> seth: i will. >> i mean as an adult, i think i'm writing a letter to santa for next year. >> seth: and i -- the fact that santa did thatven thgh you left out carrots is just so -- >> no carrots are for the reindeer. >> seth: for the reindeer? >> yes. >> seth: by the way, reindeer don't like carrots either. everybody likes cookies. >> there were two left. we left nine. >> seth: oh you were -- >> you're on to something. >> seth: so, i want to ask about this. i want to show a piece of tape
12:05 am
rfmance as "madonna." before we show it, how much heu do? because this is something else. >> it was exusng. okay, so for halloween thesa, t talk, have to pick - - it was lip sync bale. >> seth: right. >> so i had three scheduled days of rehearsal. like the studio -- the show booked out a rehearsal space, we had a choreography, had backup dancers. the whole nine. and they said, we'll give you more time, if you want. but i said, "no, no i got this." i had somebody record me, doing my rehearsal on my phone. and i would put it up in my bathroom and i was like, "5, 6, 7, 8." and it was ridiculous -- i would just practice and i found myself any time i walked past any mirror any reflection i would be walking down sunset boulevard and i'd see my reflection and i would be like, "5, 6, 7, 8. pivot, pivot." >> seth: well it paid off. >> i hope. >> seth: let's look at your incredible well rehearsed work. ? strike a pose ?
12:06 am
[ cheers and applause ] >> seth: now, i hope you weren't wearing that outfit, when you were walking down sunset boulevard. >> no, thank good -- no i was not. >> seth: but, it was fantastic work by your costume department as well. you looked like a million dollars. >> although, okay if you're at home right now, google -- there "farewell by concubine." >> seth: sure. >> about chinese opera. at one point i looked at myself, i'm like, "oh my gos do i look like that guy who was in drag in 'farey well m concubine?'" but he was very -- you know, i mean his make upas on point so i was like it's okay if i do. >> s you putimo she.hank you. >> seth: and thank you so much for being here. it's such a pleasure to have you. >> thanks, seth. >> seth: julie chen everody, "the talk" airs weekdays at 2:00 p.m.. we'll be right back with billie lourd.
12:07 am
? i got it, dad. ow! ? we love to keep them safe. so wmade the nt protect smokand carbon monoxide alarm. it speaks up and can alert your phone if there's a problem. or let you know if everything is st fine. ? if you're going to wish, wish big ??? at the lexus december to remember sales event. get up to $2,500 customer cash on select 2016 and 2017 models for these terms.
12:08 am
this is my body of proof. proof of less joint pain. and clearer skin. this is my body of proof that i can fight psoriatic arthritis with humira. humira wor by targeting and helping to block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to both joint and skin symptoms. it proven to helpelieve pain, for psoriatic arthritis. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened, as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection.
12:09 am
t humira. humira. what's your body of proof? most people know the four c's of a diamond. now, kay jewelers brings you...the newest c: chocolate. levian chocolate diamonds. only levian, masters of jewelry design for centuries... ...makes jewelry with rare chocolate diamonds. save up to 20% on select levian styles, with dazzling designs that she's sure to love. at kay, the number-one jewelry store... ...in america.
12:10 am
s begins with kay. ? i... i... i wanted those... no you didn't... hefty slider bags cost less than ziploc. you'll thank me later. save big. hefty costs less than ziploc. whenever i try to grow out my hair, strands always break off. but pantene is making my hair practically unbreakable. the pro-v formula makes every inch stronger. so i can love my hair longer. strong is beautiful. pantene. ?? [ cheers and applause ] seth: welcome back, everybody.
12:11 am
airs tuesday nights on fox. let's take a look. >> there's something i need to confide in you. a secret no one knows. i've never had an orgasm. >> oh wow. >> i didn't even know what they were until recently. i thought they were justoans you did to let the other person know to roll off of you, like an, i'm ready for you to stop alarm. >> that's terrible. orgasms are pretty much the only thing that everyone in the world agrees are great. well until "hamilton" came along. [ laughter ] >> it's so original, right? >> reinvented the theater. >> seth: please welcome to the show billie lourd, everybody. [ cheers and applause ] ??
12:12 am
>> thank you so much for having me. >> seth: i'm so happy to have you here. for those who don't watch the show, the earmuffs you wear in the scene that is not just because you were cold in that scene. you wear the earmuffs constantly. that is what your character does. >> that is my thing. >> seth: and your mother is carrie fisher. and is it true? >>t's true. >> seth: did you not know? oh my god. we break news here. [ laughter ] >> okay, just gonna take that in for a second. >> seth: but your earmuffs are an homage, they're a princess leia homage. >> they are a little bit of a princess leia homage. >> seth: that's fantastic. tradition. i saw them in the fitting and i was immediately gravitated towards them because i had to be. it didn't turn -- it didn't start out as a plot point. i just went into the fitting, saw them. >> seth: yes. >> you know, recognized my family heritage. >> seth: which is to have weird things over your ears. >> which is to have weird things over your ears and cover them all the time. and then brad falchuk, one of the writers of the show, wrote it into the show, like in the third episode. and it was because my ex boyfriend was so obsessed with my ears that he threatened to
12:13 am
so i had to hide them. >> seth: so you're protecting. you're wearing the earmuffs as protection. >> of course. yes. 100%. >> seth: as an actress how is it wearing earmuffs all day on set? >> it can get tough. >> seth: yeah. >> it's kind of like being a wrestler and having your head smushed into the floor all the time. >> seth: so not great. >> so not ideal. >> seth: yeah. >> or like -- not everybody is a wrestler. so, it's also like wearing head phones on a plane for a really long time. >> seth: yeah. >> and it kind of hurts and you have to like pull at your ears and they make that weird cracking sound. >> seth: oh, that's not good. >> ts >> seth: but overall your hearing is pretty consistent? >> what? [ laughter ] >> seth: so ryan murphy created this show and sort of the process where you got cast as this character was not sort of conventional. you were just talking to him. >> definitely not conventional. i went to one of my dad's friends birthday parties and happened to be sat next to ryan. and we had a few too many glasses of wine and started exchanging stories about sex that i can't tell on the air obviously.
12:14 am
>> seth: but hopefully tell me backstage and i then i'll tell everybody tomorrow. >> exactly. yeah. [ light laughter ] exactly. good plan. and then basically he pointed at me at one point and was like you're number three. and i was like, who the hell is that. he's like, come into my office later this week. and i came in and i read with him and ended up in new orleans a couple weeks later playing this insane character. >> seth: that's fantastic. >> yeah. >> seth: so i think the take away is if you're ever at a dinner party, drink wine and tell people sex stories. >> absolutely. that's my motto. >> seth: that is the key to success. speaking of mottos, obviously your mother -- a famous actress. your grandmother debbie reynolds also a famous actress. and has she -- she actually has given you real advice about being an actress. >> she's given me -- well first of all she gets really upset when i get called carrie fisher's daughter. she wants people to call me debbie reynold's granddaughter. >> seth: got you. >> it's very offensive for her. >> seth: oh, she doesn't like to be cut out of the supply chain. >> she does not like to be cut out -- yeah, not at all. she started it. >> seth: oh, yeah. exactly. >> so it's her fault. so when i first starting acting, everyone in my family did not want me to act.
12:15 am
rebelling by doing this. and she called me down to her house and had a binder of these diaries that she had written when she first started doing "singing in the rain." and she sat me down on her couch and said, okay, i need you read these dear, in her 50s actress voice. and i started reading them to myself and she said, no dear. please read them out loud. and i started reading them and they're all second person and they are somewhere along the lines of just sitting in the make up chair. it's 5:00 in the morning. they've pulled all your eyebrows your hair is a shell of itself and all you wanted to be was a gym teacher. [ laughter ] so i read this out loud and kind of looked at her like, okay. and she looked at me so earnestly with her, like, hands crossed in her lap and it was like, are you sure you still want to be an actress dear? and i was like, yeah, i think i -- i think it's different now. i think i'm gonna be able to keep my eyebrows. i don't think they're gonna put a wig on me. i got, like, long hair. it's like, fine. so i'm gonna go for it.
12:16 am
say no. i want to be a gym teacher. >> now, i want to be a gym teacher. [ laughter ] >> seth: you would of finally -- >> they get to keep their eyebrows. that sounds like the dream career. >> seth: now obviously from the clip, as we saw, this might not be a show that you would think is grandmother friendly. but she is a fan of "scream queens." >> she is a huge fan. i mean she's a fan of anything that involves a lot of fur. she's real -- >> seth: oh, gotcha. >> she misses that in film and tv. so the fact that we're all clad in fur earmuffs and fur jackets, it's her dream show. >> seth: well there you go. fulfilling her dream. and i'm sure she's incredibly happy to get to watch you doing it as well. >> she is. >> seth: thank you for being here. it's such a pleasure. >> yeah, of course. thank you so much for having me. >> seth: billie lourd everybody. "scream queens" airs tuesday nights on fox. we'll be right back with maureen dowd. [ cheers and applause ] ?? [burke] at farmers, we've seen almost everything, so we know how to cover almost anything. even a rodent ride-along. [dad] alright, buddy, don't forget anything!
12:17 am
it's pretty hairy out on the interstate.traffic is literally crawling, but there is some movement on the eastside overpass. getting word of another collision. [burke] it happened. december 14th, 2015. and we covered it. talk to farmers. we know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two. ? we are farmers. bum-pa-dum, bum-bum-bum-bum ? [ nutcralmost... there... ] hmmmm... save ten when you spend fifty on toys at target.
12:18 am
just press "clean" and let roomba from irobot help with your everyday messes. roomba navigates your entire home. cleaning up pet hair and debris for up to 2 hours. you and roomba, from irobot. better. together. i'and thanks to target, i got to the after party ? this nice little outfit just in time using order pickup. stay fresh! get last minute gifts with order pickup at target.
12:19 am
? whoa, papa ? ? run, run, run, run, running ? ? run, run, run, run, running ? ? there's nothing in this life that's ever bringing me down ? ? she said don't you ever ? ? ever, ever ? ? run, run, run, run, running ?
12:20 am
12:21 am
?? [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: welcome back, everybody. our next guest is a pulitzer prize winning columnist for "the new york times" and a best selling author. her new book "the year of voting dangerously and the derangement of american politics" is in stores now. please welcome to the show maureen dowd. ?? [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: so happy you're here. how are you, maureen? >> i'm so nervous. >> seth: you're so nervous? but you interview people all the time. why are you nervous by being interviewed? >> i just think tv is really scary. >> seth: yeah. it is really scary. it's super weird and it's super scary.
12:22 am
election but all of your reporting about politics over the years. and you have a long history with donald trump who is someone you write about at length in this book. you go back to old interviews. tell us about your first interaction with him. i guess it was in the 80s. >> right. so in 1988 i met him for the first time. i was covering the republican convention and i asked him if he wanted to have coffee one morning. he was attending and i said, how is your day going? and he goes great. i bought the plaza hotel this morning. and that was a typical trump conversation. >> seth: yeah. >> yeah. >> seth: that's a very hard thing to -- when someone tells you that's what they did today you must instantly feel like, oh i'm off to a terrible start. >> righti know. [ laughter ] yeah, all i did was have yogurt. [ laughter ] >> seth: well obviously we talked about it today on the show about russia and whether or not they had an influence in this election. you mentioned that donald trump also has a history with russia
12:23 am
>> right. mikhail gorbachev came here for the first time in '87 and he met with a bunch of business leaders including trump. so i called trump, and he said, you know before he went into the meeting with gorbachev, he was like, we have to be really wary and suspicious of russia. and then he went in and met gorbachev and gorbachev said, we love trump tower. come build one like that in moscow. and trump is like i love mikhail gorbachev. he's the best. [ laughter ] i love russia. so i think that set a template for what's happened with putin and the russians ever since because putin -- trump thought putin gave him a compliment where he said he's brilliant. but it turned out to be a mistranslation. >> seth: right. it meant bright, right? or like to create colorful body. >> colorful body. >> seth: colorful. >> or gawdy. >> seth: oh, right. okay. >> so, trump has forced the
12:24 am
whole stance towards the evil empire based on a mistranslation. one compliment. >> seth: at least it's not affecting all of us. >> no. [ laughter ] >> seth: but you all sort of make this argument that donald trump is very susceptible to compliment. and he is also very susceptible, in your opinion, to the last person he's talked to. >> right. >> seth: and so that's effecting the way people would deal with him. >> right. that's why his staff, jockeys, to get the last appointment of the day. bee talks to him has a lot of sway. and you know he over flatters people and he likes to be over flattered. because basically he doesn't -- his ideology is his ego. so, you know, everybody in washington from president obama to mitch mcconnell is trying to flatter him. he's almost like a host body and they think they can change his mind or pour their agenda in with some flattery.
12:25 am
do you -- you also talked, because we, i think we all remember that you sort of talked about running in 2012, but he has fainted towards the presidency before including 2000. and you write about this as well and what he thought made him a good candidate then. >> well, yeah i went out with him when he was dating melania. we went to cuba so he could test the waters in '99. and he gave a speech and, you know, he saw his first trump for president sign and sort of skittered away. he was very shy about it and so afterwards i asked him what thi vote for you? and he said well, i get really big ratings on larry king and a lot of guys hit on melania. so it was this kind of ego arithmetic of toting out the numbers that were good for him
12:26 am
>> seth: and so are you -- how are you with wrapping your head around the fact, because he was -- his arithmetic was right. and i think for, i wouldn't -- i dane to guess on the melania part, but this idea of ratings. he was right about how people vote and how people think. and are you surprised, with your history, that he understood the electorate better than maybe people who are more on the inside? >> yes. it is surprising in that in this amazing, exciting, thrilling race in 2008 misread the electorate so badly. >> seth: i want to ask about this as well. very famously. he had been very difficult or hard i should say, on "the new york times" throughout this election. he's been hard on them since. but donald trump did -- president-elect donald trump came to "the new york times" to basically do a q and a with the staff there. and he sort of called you out. is that accurate to say that he was not polite?
12:27 am
he was telling our publisher and the reporters that if they had any questions they could call him. feel free to call him. and then he goes, except maureen. she can't call me because she's been very, very, very rough on me. and the publisher turned to him with a smile and said, well as we say about maureen around here it's not your fault. it's just your turn. but i have heard -- [ laughter ] i have heard that if you want to give him seven compliments really fast. >> seth: oh really? and that's -- you're probably good at giving a fast compliment so you'll be back there in no time. >> right. >> seth: you also talk about a very nice relationship with a president that you maybe wouldn't have guessed which is george h.w. bush. you had a long relationship with. and tell us about that. >> well, it was sort of like a screw ball comedy, because it was like the irish working-class girl and the waspy, privileged
12:28 am
he was taken to kindergarten in a limousine in greenwich connecticut. so it took us a while to get use to each other. because i think he expected a "new york times" reporter with a name like clyde farnsworth the third who he could have a martini with and discuss the atlantic alliance and then he got me. >> seth: you give one of the most interesting facts about him that i never would have guessed. he claims, george h.w. bush claims he coined the phrase, "you da man." ig funnily enough -- >> seth: he believes this. >> funnily enough, for that the waspiest guy on earth, the thing he is most proud of is that in the 60s he was watching rusty staub round third base toward a homerun and he yelled out, "you da man." and he said it caught on slowly. [ laughter ] i mean he presided over, you know, the berlin wall falling and some other things but this is what he is most proud of.
12:29 am
thinks it caught fire from that. [ laughter ] that is outstanding. well i'm gonna always give him credit for it. >> yes. >> seth: thank you so much for being here. congratulations on the book. it's always a pleasure to see you. maureen dowd everybody. "the year of voting dangerously" is in stores now. we'll be right back. [ cheers and applause ] ?? i'll have that goat cheese garden salad. that gentleman got the last one. sir, you give me that salad and i will pay for your movie and one snack box. can i keep the walnuts? can i pick the genre? yes, but it has to be a comedy. a little cash back on the side. with the blue cash everyday card from american express, you get cash back on purchases with no annual fee. throw. it's more than cash back.
12:30 am
we're going to prove just how wet and sticky your current gel antiperspirant is. now we're going to show you how degree dry spray is different. degree dry spray. ?? ? i said i really can't stay ? ? baby it's cold outside ? ? i have to go away ? ? baby it's cold outside ? ? i really can't stay ?
12:31 am
hey. hi. where's erin? uh, with my sister. but she hates kids... ok, once more. lexus rcs in? ultra white. with? premium package. you got it! if you're going to wish, wish big at the lexus december to remember sales event. get up to $2,500 customer cash on select 2016 and 2017 models for these terms. see your lexus dealer. ??
12:32 am
??
12:33 am
olay total effects vitamin enriched to revive skin and fight 7 signs of aging your old school dance moves might show your age,
12:34 am
?? >> announcer: this week on "late night with seth meyers." senator bernie sanders, mindy kaling, and music from megadeth. head over to itunes and subscribe to the "late night with seth meyers" podcast, and you'll get a closer look and more downloaded right to your phone, every day.
12:35 am
12:36 am
marv, go make us a plate. 30. 1. we'll literally die of hunger b freaky fast 1
12:37 am
[ cheers and applause ] >> seth: my thanks to julie chen, billie lourd, maureen dowd, dave lombardo, and of course, the 8g band. stay tuned for carson daly. we'll see you tomorrow. ?? ?? >> carson: hello there. welcome to another edition of "last call." i'm carson daly here to guide you through the night.

38 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on