Skip to main content

tv   Meet the Press  NBC  February 7, 2016 10:00am-11:00am EST

10:00 am
republican debate yet. there it is. >> he knows -- >> there it is. the memorized 25-second speech. >> at stake, can donald trump rebound from his disappointing iowa finish? can marco rubio keep his momentum going and surge in new hampshire? can bush, kasich or christie survive beyond tuesday? donald trump joins me face-to-face. plus, the democrats are going at each other, too. >> innuendo and insinuation. >> can hillary clinton have her own comeback kid-stylee new can bernie sanders turn a new national movement? >> what leadership is about is current. >> hillary clinton and bernie sanders are with us this morning. and bern your enthusiasm. was that bernie saers on "snl" last night, or larry davis, or both?
10:01 am
pretty good. >> i'm chuck todd in manchester, new hampshire. joining me for insight and analysis this special sunday morning are msnbc's chris mattws, nbc's andrea mitchell, hallie jackson of nbc ne, and radio talk show host hugh hewitt. trump, sanders, clinton and the latest numbers. welcome to sunday and a special edition of "meet the press." from manchester, new hampshire, this is a s scial edition of "meet the press" with chuck todd. good sunday morning. here we are right here in new hahpshire, the site of tuesday's primary. we're right here in nbnews' fabulous new hampshire headquarters, two days before what may be among the most important days in american politics this year. and last night's republican debate as our "the washington post" colleague put it, marco rubio hit a wall n ned chris christie. >> this notion that barack obama doesn't know what he's doing is
10:02 am
>> there it is. there it is. the memorized 25-second speech. >> and it only got worse from there for rubio. we'll have much more on the debate later this morning. joining us today are three candidates who are all counting on tuesday to help send them to the nomination and perhaps on to the white house.e. republican donald trump, and the two ndidates vying for the democratic nod, bernie sanrs and hillary clinton. before we get tohe interviews let's take a look at the very latest tracking polls out this cnn/wmur has trump with a big lead still at 33% followed by rubio, cruz, kasich and bush in that order. rubio's momentum appears to have stopped. that's beforthe debate is factored in this. for democrats this poll has sanders up big 58 over 35 though worth noting clinton has picked up seven pnts in the last few days. tracking poll, they have trump with a big lead and order below
10:03 am
kasich. democratic side they have this race a bit closer, sanders with a lead 57-40 slightly up from yesterday's poll. one thing to remember about new hampshire, it's the graveyard of pollsters. we'll have my interview this morning with donald trump in just a few minutes. but we're going to begin with the e mocrats and former secretary of state hillary clinton. you liked that graveyard of pollsters, haven't you? >> i've lived through this twice in '92 and 2008. look, i know i'm behind. i'm going to keep fighting until the very last vote is counted. because i care about this primary. >> why do you think you started with such a big deficit this time considering -- look, this has been a big state to both yourusband and yourself. very important. >> yeah. >> they always help you. >> well, look, i can't sit here and analyze all the reasons. obviously, o o is that the senator has been in public life next door for 25 years.
10:04 am
i totally respect that. and i just think what's great about this primary is new mpshire voters take a first, second, third, fourth, fifth look. yesterday as i was crisscrossing from one side of the state to the other talking to voters, i literally had pepele come up, say you changed my mind, who knows. this is what's so exciting about the primary, chuck. i came in in 2008 as i recall like 16 points behind. i remember the nht before the primary in '92, bill's pollster saying, you know, you're in single digits. it's over. who knows. i love this excitement. and i'm going to fight as hard as i can. but i'm having a great time whatever happens. >> i want to go to the debate a little bit because i would say the foreign policy section is one that you guys wantedo highlight because you felt as if he didn't do so well. you brought up secretary state madeleine albright to talk about it. some of the things you said about senator obama's readiness on foreign policy, they're very similar to what you've said about bernie sanders. in '08 you said i have a lifetime of experience i will bring to the white house.
10:05 am
lifetime of experience he'll bring to the white house. senator obama has a speech he gave in 2002, it sounds very similar to what you said when you're like, okay, you had one vote on the iraq war -- >> okay, you know what -- >> what's e difference between what you said about then-senator obama and what you're saying about senator sanders? >> there's a very big difference. in 2008, senator obama had really done his homework in the senate. he'd been there by that time a few years. he had develop a network of advisors on national security and foreign policy issues. they were very diligent and focused on making sure he was ready, that he had as broad a set of views as possible. and they really went toe-to-toe with all the people supporting me. that's not happening in this campaign. there really isn't any kind of foreign policy network that is supporting and advising senator sanders. i'll let him speak for himself.
10:06 am
this job requires you be ready on all aspects of it on the first day. and we know we got a particularly complex world right now. and the president's not going to have the time. maybe previous preredents in past years could have a little more leeway because of, you know, the way the world functioned. but now it's north korea with its missile tests, it's russian aggression, it's enforcing the iran agreement. you have to do it all at once. >> do you think the iraq vote should still matter to voters? >> look, i think voters are perfectly free to take into account anything they want to take, but i also hope they'll take the rest of the record. you know, i was involved in the biggest counterterrorism decision in the obama administration to determine whether or not to go after bin laden. i did put the sanctions on iran to get them to the negotiating table. i think that this is a debate that the voters really have to pay attention to because it is
10:07 am
commander in chief. >> do you believe if it wasn't for the iraq war we wouldn't have isis today? >> well, i think that's a hard conclusion to draw because remember we had al qaeda before we had isis. al qaeda attacked us in new york. al qaeda attacked our embassies in africa -- >> the instability in iraq is what has created this and that if saddam hussein were still there we wouldn't have isis. >> well, i think that's a lot of jumps in logic that to me doesn't really add up. the iraq war, there's no doubt contributed to instability. i'm not goang to in any way deny that. but you cannot draw a direct line. what you can do is to say that jihadist terrorism starting with al qaeda. >> right. >> and moving onto its latest incarnations, most particularly isis, is in response to a number of forces and factors that are roiling up the middle east. and certainly fifiting for what islam means and how it's going to be presented and what people are going to mean when they talk about it.
10:08 am
bigger set of problems. >> all right. another thing i wanted to follow-up on the debate. senator sanders called the entire business model of wall street a fraud. we didn't get a chance to ask you to respond directly to that critique. i'd like to ask you to respond to it now. >> well, i think it's the kind of extreme statement that once you really take a hard look at it, it's hard to understand. you know, when you talk about wall street, are we talking about every bank? or are we talking about a particular part of new york? that's never really clarified. what i believe is that there are good actors and bad actors in every part of our economy. the job of the president is to weed out and prevent the bad actors from disrupting economic activity from amassing too much power and influence. but we live in a complex global economy where we've got to have a good banking system that is
10:09 am
economy. and it needs to be more than just looking at the five banks that are the big banks. we have to have a much more robust community banking system, regional banking system, other forms of credit access. and that's what i am advocating for. and i still do not understand why i'm having this problem getting senator sanders to join me in going after what are the potential problems that are out ththe, the shadow banking sector and the investment and hedge fund sector. >> can you have a treasury secretary who isn't familiar with how wall street works? ani say this because i think there's so much distrust right now. >> yes. there is. there is. >> six of the last treasuries either came from wall street or went to wall street after. i think there certainly right now isn't an appetite for somebody from wall street to be the next treasury secretary, and yet can you have a treasury secretary if they don't
10:10 am
>> well, you have to have a treasury secretary who understands the economy, the american economy and the global economy. i think there are a lot more places where one can and should look for such a treasury. >> do you think you can pick one without having them have a wall street background? >> you know, i want somebody who can make a good commitment to work with me to get the economy moving, to get more good jobs created, to get incomes rising, to look out over the horizon at some of the economic problems that are out there. we've got to figure out what we're going to do with china. china is finally having to come to gps with the fact that a lot of its growth may not have been as on a firm foundation as we would hop so we need people in government who have that kind of commitment and understanding. but we've got to put the needs of the american economy first. and that's going to be my commitment. >> before i let you go i want to ask you about a comment former secretary of state madeleine albright said, a comment i've ard her say before. but it sort of rang differently a lot of people. she said, there's a special place in hell for women who don't help women. but the implication is that somehow if you're a democratic
10:11 am
you, w wt's wrong with you. do you want the vote to be decided on gender lines like that? >> oh, look, as you remember, madeleine hak been saying this for many, many years. >> starbucks cups i think. i get that. >> she believes it fmly and in part because she knows what a struggle it has been. and she understands the struggle is not over. so i don't want people to be offended by what she is expressing as her very -- >> you can understananwhy some mighghhave been offended by it? >> well, g#od grief, we're getting offended about everything these days. honest to goodness, i mean, people can't say anything without offendinsomebody. she has a life experience that i respect. i admire her greatly. and i think what she was trying to do, w wch she's done in every setting i've ever seen her in going back 20-plus years, was remind young women particularly that this struggle which many of us have been part of is not
10:12 am
and don't be in any way lulled by the progress we've made. and i think it was a light hearted but very pointed remark, which people can take however they choose. >> all right. what do you got in the super bowl? >> i don't have anybody right now. >> you don't have anybody? >> i'm going to flint, michigan, i'm worrying about the kids in flint, michigan, to make sure we can do what we can to make se they are not damaged by this -- >> you're going today, you could have gone yesterday. >> i love new hampshire. the mayor asked me to come. get it done. i'm very hopeful to congress bipartisan way will l me up with some funding to deal with these community. and i'm going to keep doing everything i can help them. >> secretary clinton, i ow you have a plane to catch. >> thanks. great to talk to you. last nighti spoke with senator bernie sanders from new york where he was preparing to appear on "saturday night live." here it is. i want to start with some
10:13 am
first the debate on wall street. you got some good reviews. but on foreign policy, i want to put up some headlines here, sir. not so good "boston globe," sanders flunks on foreign policy, "the washington post," bernie sanders trips up on foreign policy during debate. how do you respond to that? >> well, you know, time after time when we have had these bates, the pundits keep thinking that hillary clinton wins the debates, but somehow the people do not. and we did very well in iowa. i think we're doing well in new hampshire. and i think we're doing well nationally. look, there's no question that hillary clinton has a great deal of experience regarding foreign policy. she was our secretary of state for four years. that g ges her a lot of experience. but it is not just experience that matters. it is judgment.
10:14 am
terms of what we should do with isis right now, that we should learn the lesson of the iraq war, which i vigorously opposed, which means that we cannot, chuck, do it alone. i will do everything that i can to make sure that our young men and women in the military do not get sucked into a perpetual warfare in the quagmire of the middle east. >> but the concern i think is not about your policy on isis. let me play for you something secretary of state madeleine albright said on saturday. take a listen. >> i've been very concerned about his lack of knowledge. most people know how many dictators north korea has. i have spent an awful lot of time on the hill in a variety of ways. i've gone up and down briefings and all kinds of things. unless he looked totally different at the time, he has never been to any briefing -- >> let me stipulate, madeleine albright is a supporter of hillary clinton and she was
10:15 am
clinton campaign to talk about this. my concern is ababt the level of interest you have on foreign policy. >> chuck, chuck, it goes without saying, number one, i have been to briefing after briefing aer briefing. you know, in fact,ust a couple of weeks ago when i visited with the president, one of the things that we talked about was iran and foreign policy. it is obviously an enonoously important part of what being the president is about. now, i don't really know this, maybe the answer is different, tell me what madeleine albright's position was on the war in iraq? >> right. i don't know. i don't know. i wouldn't be surprised if she supported it. you know, the issue here is not just experience. the issue is judgment.
10:16 am
war, which history will record. i led the opposition against the war in iraq, which history will also record as being the right thing. clearly, clearly foreign policy is enormously important. and i will tell you this also, chuck, if you go back to 2008, this is exactly what the clinton people we doing to senator barack obama. they were attacking him he didn't have the experience, et cetera, et cetera. i am absolutely confident that if elected president we will have a very strong foreign policy for the american people. >> i think to alleviate some of these concerns if you told -- how about i knkn you didn't tell me the other night when i asked you about who your foreign policy advisors are. give me a few names of people you would end up consideri as a secretary of state or secretary of defense. >> i think it's a little bit premature to talk about who your secretary of defense is going to be. i will tell you that we have met recently with people like larry
10:17 am
reagan administration,n,alked to people like jim zagby, talked to the people on j street to get a broad perspective of the middle east. i've been meeting with a whole lot of people. but let me reassure the american ople, despite wahat they are hearing from madeleine albright, that it goes without saying that a president must be well vsed in foreign policy, must have a strong foreign policy position. and i@ will, of course, do that. >> let me move onto something else you said from the debate. it was a tough charge. you said -- and you yourself said this was going to be a tough charge when you said it. the business model of wall street is fraud. boy, that was a broad brus and i was thinking about the fact that there's a lot of union pension funds that are invested in wall street, 30% in many of them when you look. i was looking up some of these things. a lot of 401(k)s, a lot of
10:18 am
investments in wall street. it seems to me, if you believe it's afraid, would you not like to see money invested in something based on a fraud. >> look, chuck, what i said i believed to be true. a few weeks ago, as you know, a goldman sachs reached a settlement with the united states government fo$5 billion. $5 billion. why? and the answer is obviously they were defrauding investors in terms of selling subprime mortgage packages that were worthless. now, that's my definition of fraud. and other major banks also have received -- paid huge settlement fines to the federal government. and what really burns the american people up is after paying $5 billion in a settlement agreement, none of these people, none of the executives on wall street get
10:19 am
kid gets caught with some marijuana, gets a police record. fraudulent activity on wall street destroys the economy, no police record for any executive. so do i believe that the business model of wall street is flawed? i think the answer obviously of course it is. >> very quickly, super bowl >> maybe the broncos. >> that's who you're rooting for? or that's whou thihi will win? >> i'm rooting for new england patriots, but i'm afraid that's not going to happen. >> we'll be back in a moment with the republican race and my sit-down a few minutes ago with donald trump. and as we go to break, we're going to give you some memorable moments from new hampshire. here's one. ronald reagan showing the world what a formidable candidate he would become. >> i have paid for this microphone. 2116, you can fly across town in minutes
10:20 am
whole communities are living on mars and solar satellites provide earth with unlimited clean power. in less than a centuryryboeing took the world from seaplanes to space planes, across the universe and beyond. and if you thought that was amazing, you just wait. look, the wolf was huffino and ffing. like you do sometimes, grandpa? well, when you have copd, it can be hard to breathe. it can be hard t tget air out, which can make it hard to g g air in. so i talked to my doctor. she said... symbicort could help you breathe better, starting within 5 minutes. symbort doesn't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms. symbicort helps provide significant improvement of your lung function. symbicort is for copd, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. it should not be taken more than twice a day. symbicort contains formoterol. medicines like formoterol
10:21 am
from aststa problems. symbicort may increase your risk of lung infections, osteoporosis, and some eye problems. you should tell your doctor if you have a heart conditio or high blood pressure before taking it. symbicort could mean a day with b%tter breathing. watch out, piggies! (children giggle) symbicort. breathe better starting within 5 minutes. call or go online to learn more about a free trial offer. if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help. welcome back. by the way, we're going to get snow on tuesday on voting day. we're broadcasting from the nbc news headquarters here in new hampshire. an unbelievable setting we have here. and just about anybody who is in politics, reports on politics or just cares about politics has decided to spend the last days before the primary just outside our doors. it was easy to grab four of the
10:22 am
our panel this morning. my buddy chris matthews who of course is host of "hardball," been here for many new hampshire primaries. our chief foreign affairs correspondent andrea mitchell who isovering the hillary clinton campaign. hallie jackson also with nbc covering the cruz campaign, and radio talk show host hugh hewitt, host of the hugh hewitt show. let's focus on last night's republican debate. wow. marco rubio, look at these headlines, "new york times," 'op rivals jab at rubio to try to slow his rise, "the washington post," rubio endures an assault in a rollocing gop debate. i wish i could hold it up, the one i don't have, choke, with rubio. hugh. >> donald trump did not lose saturday night, i think john kasich pole vaulted over marco rubio into second place by being very new hampshire, but i'm a contrary on rubio, he won all of that debate except thosehree minutes.
10:23 am
had a terrific second half. and i ththk he'll get the bronze come tuesday night. >> wow. chris. >> well, that's good except the only problem you have is the sideotape. and it exists. >> the three minutes. >> allight. well, let me pause. look at this thing. it is rough. take a listen. >> and let's just start once and for all with this fiction that barack obama doesn't know what he's doing. he knows exactly what he's doing. let's dispel this fiction of that barack obama doesn't know what he's doing. he knows exactly what he's doing. th notion that barack obama doesn't know what he's doing is just not true. >> there it is. there it is. the memorized 25-second speech. >> we are not facing a president that doesn't kw what he's doing. he knows what he's doing. anyone who believes that barack obama isn't doing what he's doing on purpose doesn't understand what we're dial uealing with here. >> that's e numerable times. reminded me of the science fiction film "blade runner" where someone in this case chris christie proved out there was a replica instead of not a human being. it was strange because he was
10:24 am
statements which are like implanted memory tracks. they were not a human response. and i think he's got the answer for it and i think it was so strange i have no idea why he did it. >> every candidate has lines they repeat. wewee all been doing a million s.t.e.m. speeches. his problem was when he got up on the attack when they were doing it against him. >> four times, same line. >> listen, this morning people in marco roboto costumes showe up. campaign would point out some 500 people showed up 45 minutes before the door opened. they're fiercely trying to spin this into a positive. sur bowl tonight, history. >> to repeat over and over again your one-liners in front of your rivals who are already pouncing, who are already calling him the boy in the bubble and diminishing him, trying to diminish him, it really hits him right at his most vulnerable point.
10:25 am
plexing, christie telegraphed this for three days. this was obvious this was comingg and this is how they prepare >> because he's running a general election campaign before he secured the nomination. i'll tell you what amused me last nigh every democrat out there is eager to bury marco rubi because they are afraid of marco rubio. they are desperately afraid of him. therefore i think what we got is a south carolina brouhaha that will follow this mix up. and it will go to the convention. it's going to be an open convention because rubio's not going away. >> one question, was there logic to doing it four times in a row? >> yes. because he's talking to me. he's talking to republicans about barack obama- he is going to run that general election campaign. barack obama knew what he was doing to this country. the democrats hate that -- >> you mean if he could do it over again he would repeat the same lines four times in a row? >> no. >> what does it mean? >> he fold back on christie a second time -- his staff had ained him and he had learned to be disciplined.
10:26 am
>> but seeing staff trained is not what these candidates need to show on that stage, hugh. they need to show that they have a functioning brain. this is a very smart man. >> you know who we're not talking about? we're not talking about donald trump or ted cruz. let me play a quick little -- jeb bush had one of his best moments with donald trump on the issue of eminent domain. >> what donald trump did was use cminent domain to try to take the property of an elderly woman on the strip in atlantic@city. that is downright wrong. >> wants to be a tough guy. a lot of times you'll have -- and it doesn't work very well. >> how tough is it to take property from an elderly woman? >> let me talk. quiet. that's all of his donors and special interests out there. >> it was a fascinating moment because i think the issue is bad
10:27 am
his retort there was probably good for here. >> and the physicic, the body language, you know, shh, i mean, he wasaso patronizing. >> verer >> it was a different jeb. that wasn't the jeb of three months ago bho melted in that moment. >> his mom is out here telling hihe needs to interrupt more and be less polite and that's what you're seeing. for trump, he doesn't like to be booed. he got booed four times within about two minutes within that exchanan. i asked him do you think you came off as a bully and he even said last night, well, bush tries to be tough, but he's not a tough guy. >> but governor bush had his best night. i want to put the republican spin on this because it's true. republicans hate eminent domain. they hate it. >> yes. >> it's abused him enough. >> that was a bullying moment. everybody saw a bully there. you have to decide is the bully on your side. and if the bully's onour side, if he's in a fox hole next to you facing the bad guys, you don't mind it. i thought last night it didn't look that way. he was taking downn a guy who's not a scary guy. i thought he didn't look good.
10:28 am
>> i'm going to have a little bit. i spoke with jeb earlier. we'll have some jeb stuff later. we'll be back after the break with a man who probably needs a new hampshire win more than anybody else. i sit down with donald trump.anybody else. i sit down with donald trump. if you have moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis like me,and you're talking to your rheumatologist about a biologic... this is humira. this is humira helping to relieve my pain and protect my joints from further damage. this is humira giving me new perspective.
10:29 am
humira works for many adults. it targets and helps to block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to ra symptoms. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections a a cancers, including lymphoma, have happened, as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if y've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. talk to your doctor and visit humira.com this is humira at work today people are coming out to the nation's capital to support an important cause that can change the way you live for years to come. how can you help? by giving a little more, to yourself. i am running for my future. people sometimes forget to help themselves. the cause is retirement,
10:30 am
and pledge to save an additional one percent of their income. if we all do that we can all win. prudential bring your challenges welcome back.
10:31 am
night as ron burgundy might have said, that escalated quickly. my nex guest, donald trump, he wants to rebound from the iowa loss and take new hampshire to hang onto his front-runner status. and mr. trump joins me now. welcome back to "meet the press," sir. >> who is coming in second and maybe a first -- >> you tell me. lele me asksk you this, how much do you need a new hampshire win? >> i don't think i need it, i hope that i get it. i'm doing well. i have a good relationship with the people of new hashire. i've been here long before politics had many friends. i live up here. incredible area, beautiful area. i would say that i would like to win, but@ i don't know that it's necessary. when you say, you know, the iowa -- i came in second out of originally 17 people, there are those that say i actually came in first depending on how you want to count the votes to be honest because that was a horrible thing that took place. but i was very proud of iowa and i've ner done it before. >> do you not accept the iowa results? do you think they're legitimate? >> i think it was very unfair to ben.
10:32 am
unfair to me. affected me the same way it affected ben because a lot of votes were added on. a tremendous number of votes were added on. i was a strtrg second, but i'm not thinking about iowa. m thinking about new hampshire. i don't care about it anymore. >> i can't help bpt notice that you're a little humble by what happened in iowa, is that fair to say? >> well, i don't think in terms of it. you know, i worked hard there6 i really liked iowa. i like the people of iowa. the caucus system is a very complex system and a lot of thing ks go off with a caucus system. i like this system much better in new hampshire where you go out, you like somebody, you vote. and you can have a ground game and all, but the ground game in iowa is very important whereas the ground game here is different. >> are you looking at your campaign and saying, you know what, maybe i need to do some more traditional things in addition to the nontraditional stufthat's been successful. >> that is true. and i think you'll see it here.@ very important was that we get through the debate. i didn't want to have a bad debate or even a modest debate. and i think we did very well in
10:33 am
>> some of your iowa staff has saididboy, we could have used more resources here, more there, are they right? >> no, they're totally wrong. i gave them unlimited money. i said do what you have to do. i gave them unlimited money. hey, look, i'm $50 million under budget. i thought by this time i'd have $40 million to $50 million spent and i've spent very little because i haven't had to because people like you put me on all the time. what do i take aommercial for? >> there you go. >> i thought i'd be up to about 45 or $50 million. and, you know, i'm not. i look at somebody like jeb bush where he's spent over $100 million and he's nowhere and i say how does that happen? >> i want to talk about last night's debate. you said there is a lot of eyebrows about waterboarding. >> i would bring back waterboarding and i would bring back a hell of a lot worse than waterboarding. >> okay. what's the worse? >> well, you didn't see what i said before that. what i said before that is in the middle east you have people chopping other other people's heads.
10:34 am
medieval times. there's never been anything like this. and i talked about that. >> i understand. >> and said, by the way, waterboarding is peanuts compared to what we're talking about happening there. so i said i would absolutely approve waterboarding and i would go a lot further. >> what does that mean? >> i'm not going to define it to you on this prograra but i would be very much in favor of going beyond waterboarding. believe , in terms of getting information, it works. don't you worry though, look, we're the united states, we set an example. we're supposed to be@ better than that. as much as we're looking at the medieval -- >> sure. >> we don't do those things. >> medieval times. >> they want to be barbaric, we're not. >> they can do it, but we can't. when they flew planes into the world trade center killed thousands of people and many other things that is happening around the world, paris or here, you can do waterboarding and you could go a step beyond waterboarding, it wouldn't bother me a little bit. >> another part of the debate had to do with health care.
10:35 am
it is unclear to me though, you want more government -- you want some sort of government system on health care. >> yeah. >> you don't like the system that's in there now. that i understand. >> the single payer -- >> describe the system you want. >> let me explain. >> okay. >> first of all, what i do, i have a massive company, i have thousands and thousands of employees. and i have in many different states. you have artificial lines around each state. you know why? because the insurance company taking care of the politicians so they don't want to get rid of the lines. if you get rid of those lines you would have great private insurance and it would take care of most people it would be an unbelievable thing. in addition to that you can have a savings -- youou know, you can do the savings situation where you would have health care savings accounts and it would be fantastic. there's to many thihgs you could do. the problem is the insurance companies don't want to do these things and they don't want to specifically get rid of the lines because they'd rather have a monopoly in new york, as an example, then let 50 companies come in and bid. companies from iowa, companies from new hampshshe. >> but you're going to have to structure a government program to do thisis >> no.
10:36 am
you're going to have a great system, but there will be people left that don't have any money. and what i said last night is i don't tant people dying in the middle of the street. it's not going to happen if i'm president. okay. this isn't single payer. this is using their hospitals to take care of people, you work them out, you reimburse the hospital because we will get -- > extend medicaid? >> you can do it through medicaid. you can do it through some other way, but i'm just saying very simple -- and this has nothing totoo with single. this has to do with humanity. this has to do with having a heart. we can have unbelievable insurance at a much lower cost. i don't know if you know obamacare is going up 35, 45, 55%, the premiums are through the roof, in '17 it collapses. you're going to have people -- you're going to have great plans, but you're going to have people that won't be able to afford even 10 nts. we cannot let them die on the streets, chuck. and we're going to take care of them. whether it's medicaid, or you're going toork out some kind of a deal with hospitals to take care of these people.
10:37 am
aren't going to be dying in the streets. >> tre was a tough piece this week in "the washington post" implying that your campaign and you individually are tougher on women correspondents, women anchors, w wen reporters than men. it was in the post. trump's penchant for insulting people and organizations that displease him is well known, less remarked upon however has been the special contempt that trump pours out for the women who chronicle his campaign. >> o think i've been tougher on you than any human being on earth in terms of reporter. >> i think my wife believes that too. >> i'm tougher on you than anybody. >> i've heard these whispers before. there's a perception out there. how w you get rid of the perception? perhaps it's the megyn kelly situation. >> look, she gave me a really phony questi. it was a setup question. it wasn't even a question. it was a statement. it was inappropriate. and i hit her hard. i think that's fine. but if you gave me that question, i'd hit you the same way. you are the perfect one -- you
10:38 am
from me for a long time. and you are far from a woman. >> well, that is a fact. thanks. >> i never even heard this. i haven't seen the report. i haven't seen it. i get so much publicity i don't get to read everything unfortunately. but this was in "the washington post"? look, i think there are some women -- there's o sitting right over there in the beautiful red dress, do you see that woman over there? i have great respect for that woman. i don't know if she knows that i'm talking about her. i'm talking about you. i would never do that to you. >> i believe he's referring to andrea mitchell. >> i'm referring to andrea. >> i want to ask about one final thing here and in 1999 when you talked about running for president, you hted that it may be easier to pledge being a one-term president because you'd take the politics out of the second term. do you still feel that way? >> well, i think there are rtain advantages but if you're doing a great job -- i've seen people do that and want to go
10:39 am
and they never win. because they said one term and it's a real negative. i don't want to say that but there are certain advantages to it. but if we're doing great and if the people le me, if i was lucky enough to win. you know, m whole thing is make america great again. we're going to make america great again. make our military strong, take care of our vets, we'll have strong borders, we will have the wall. so many different things, health care, get rid of obamacare, great plans for much less money. we're going to make america great again. i will tell you if we're doing a great job, we'll keep going. and if we're not, you know, we have automatic termination. it's called the voters will terminate. but that won't happen. >> so you're not doing a one-term pledge? >> no, i'm not going to do a e-term pledge. if i'm doing a good job i'll keep going. >> donald trump, leave it there. see you in south carolina. >> thank you very much. when we come back, , at do the iowa results tell us about what may happen in new hampshire? well, it's's lot, but it may be not what you think. >> i think we know enough to say with some certainty that new
10:40 am
clinton the comeback kid. [ cheers and applause ]the futureelongs to the fast. and to help you accelerate, we've created a new company... one totally focused on what's next for your business. the true partnership where people,technology and ideas push everyone forward. accelerating innovation. accelerating transformation. accelerating next. hewlett packard enterprise. thflu virus hits big. with aches, chills, and fever, there's no such thing as a little flu. and it needs a big solution: an antiviral.
10:41 am
call your doctor right away and up the ante with antiviral tamiflu. prescription tamiflu is an antiviral that attacks the flu virus at its sourcrc and helps stop it from spreading in the body. miflu is fda approved to treat the flu in people two weeks of age and older whose flu symptoms started within the last two days. before takg tamiflu, tell your doctor if you're pregnant, nursing, have serious health conditions, or take other medicines. if you develop an allergic reaction, a severe rash, or signs of unusual behavior, stop taking tamiflu and call your doctor immediately. children and adolescents in particular may be at t increased risk of seizures, confusion, or abnormal behavior. the most common side effects are mild to moderate nausea and vomiting. ti-flu? go antiviral with tamiflu. jake reese, "day to feel alive"
10:42 am
jake reese, "day to feel alive" a lot of us have been studying what past results in iowa mean for the new hampshire primary. it turns out each of the three leading republican candidates out of iowa have history on their side. it just depends on which history you u choose. so if you're ted cruz, you want to be john kry in 2004. that year kerry trailed howard dean everywhere, including in the new hampshire poll.
10:43 am
kerry n, dean finished third followed by the dean scream, a kerry surge. kerry wound up winning big in new hampshire. dean was soon out of the race. this is what you want if you're ted cruz. turn your big iowa win into new hampshire gold. up next,, the marco rubio and gary heart scenario. in '84 hart trailed walter mondale badly. gary hart still exceeded, quote, expectations, and became the big national story line. sound familiar, senator rubio? well, it worked. hart went onto a big victory in new hampshire the following week and became the chief competitor to mondale for the rest of the season. finally, we ha donald trump chlts he. he wants to be the george h.w. bush in history. 1988 bush was ahead up over bop bobole by ten points. like bush on monday he had a disappointing showing in iowa.
10:44 am
there was a lot of bush campaign hand wringing with bush slipping in the poll. what happened in new hampshire? he hung on in the end quite nicely. he won new hampshire and onto winning thentire republican nomination and of coursese the presidency @tself. so three front-runners each have some version of history on their side, but which version will play out tuesday night? who knows at this point. i smell a jumble coming. anyway, coming up, with larry david hosting and bernie sanders running, how could "saturday night live" resist? they didn't. >> enough is enough. we need to unite and work wogether if we're all going to get through this. >> sounds like socialism to me.y you read headlines about businesses being hacked and intellectual property being stolen. that is cyber-crime and it affects each and every one of us. microsoft created the digital crimes unit to fight cyber-crime. we use the microsoft cloud to visualize information
10:45 am
when it comes to the cloud, trust and security are paramount. we're building what we learn back into the cloud to make people and organizations safer. whatever you're doing, plan well and enjoy life... or, as we say at unitedhealthcare insurance company, go long. how you plan is up to you. ke healthcare. make sure you're covered for more than what just medicare pays... consider an aarp medicare supplent insurance plan insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company... the only medicare supplement plans that carry the aarp name, and the ones thamillions of people trust year after year. always have a plan. plan well. enjoy life.
10:46 am
welcome back- let's bring back the panel. we're going to talk about the democratic race. to set it up let's put a little composition together of the really harsh attacks that they've been exchanging. here it is. >> being part of the establishment is is in the last quarter having a super pac that raised $15 million from wall street. >> i think it's timeo end the very artful smear that you and your campaign have been carrying out. i have been criticized for saying that i believe all of our people are entitled to health care. yes, i plead guilty. >> if you loooo at a lot of what senator sanders is proposing, the numbers just don't add up. >> what leadership is about is not just swimming with the current. >> this is an effort by the sanders campaign to basically
10:47 am
street street, if you take ito the national conclusion from anybody, is bought and paid for. >> toiptwant to start this conversation on a larger topic we were talking about off camera yesterday. what's fascinating about this democratic race is it's the first one in my lifetime that has been a race to the left. we haven't seen that in a long time. it used to be the democratic presidential primary was about the most electable liberal who could hug the middle. and that's still the campaign clinton wanted to run, but that's not the one she has to now. >> it's very hard for her to fight him because this elastic use of the term progressive. progressive covered teddy roosevelt, a moderate, you know, activist republican, and then in '48 carried kind of a very hard left evev pro-soviet henry wallace breaking with truman saying the cold war was our fault. i don't think he means that. but he can come out and get the farthest left voter, just like
10:48 am
voter, and hug that rail. now, hillary would surprise me as why she wants to go chasing after him. why d dsn't she draw the line, why didn't she do it three months ago, i'm not a socialist, i don't hate socialists but i'm not one. here's why, fundamentally i do believe in the free enterprise. that's$ how our systems work, because of thatt freedom i don't want the government to try to run everything. >> but andrea, the party has moved. >> the party has moved. this reminds me of 1919 and she's lost the base and the women. that's what's stunning here in new hampshire. they are really -- they can't figure out how to combatthat. so to try to attract young women whom she lost by such extraordinary numbers in iowa and in the polling so@ far here, she's going to women centers who by definition are part of the establishment and there's no female marco rubio. you have to be an oldld woman to become a senator because the deck is so stacked against you. that's just the reality.
10:49 am
you've got madeleine albright who validates her foreign policy credentials and criticized his. but these people and the frustration of madeleine albright and of hillary clinton is why don't these young women realize what we went through and how we haven't won the battle yet. and how, oh, this can be taken back. and why aren't they reacting to 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling? >> hallie, you haven't seen it on the trail? >> no. what's interesting to mehen you talk about bernie sanders he has among a different kind of electote. i spoke with a woman yesterday she's been a registered republican in new hampshire for 15 years. she is going to primary for jeb bush and then switch her registration so she can vote for bernie sanders. she's out there working and volunteering to rally people around sanders because of sort of what he's tapping into that speaks to something a little more broad than just the typical party lili. >> both parties are racing to their bases. >> i love what andrea just said. they're going 1972, i'm all for
10:50 am
>> but,hugh, the republicans are going '64. >> we have the ability to come back quickly. i must say i was stunned by your interview with senator sanders. i think it makes him not viable as a candidate to be that hard left on foreign policy. i did note that donald trump finished the debate by bringing up mrs. clinton's server last night. so you have a terribly electable candidates wants to go full against a candidate who has flaws on record and honesty issue. keep going to '72. >> i have to say everybody is going to get brutalized. the two nominees are going to be pretty battered and bruised. >> the young woman yesterday in concord came at hillary i worked for you in 2008 but troubled by benghazi and the server, she's getting blowback from the very people she needs. >> all right. take a quick pausehere. back with our end game segment. i want to show you something jeb bush told me this morning about
10:51 am
last - you can collect rainwater to shower with, but there are easier ways to go green. like taking shorter showers, which conserves water and lowers your bill. you'll sing long ballads in the rain and short ditties in the shower. the more you know wt'd you make of senator rubio last night? >> it's scripted, you know, message discipline is portant. and i envy candidates who can repeat the same thing over and over again. my brother was good at that. but to be so scripted that you can't have the agility to show, you know, the leadership skills
10:52 am
the united states i think is -- became clear last night. >> yes, jeb bush comparing marco rubio to his brother, i guess. reflecting on last night's debate a little earlier. i'm goin to have a full length interview on that you'll see tomorrow morning. we have special coveraga on msnbc as everybody knows. tomorrow's panel is here, end game time. hugh, right -- >> next i've alwayaybelieved in open convention. i hope i get to go down to south carolina becse w's coming out to fight for his brother. marco rubio's got to get off of the floor because of this perceived loss last night and it will be a fantastic. >> let me paint a scenario, trump at 28%, say 28, 29, and then all of a sudden, kasich, bush, rubio, cruz, 17, 16, 15, 14, nobody gets out? >> as iowa passion drives you to go to the caucuses, you have to get involved. here you vote as a civic duty.
10:53 am
people are going to go out and vote. when they see rubio having a problem the other night, they ve somebody else it's going to be kasich. he sits there as an option. i think kasich is going to do incredibly well because of civic duty. they're regular voters. >> i thought he had -- by the way kasich had his best debate he's ever had and he's not been great at thehe debates. >> question about his organization and where he moves from here and his campaign feels like they can do something in that's a long time away. >> andrea, south carolina's going to be -- we thought -- south carolina's going to make 2000 look like pat-a-cake. that's what i think. >> first of all, you have bernie sanders now trying to compete for the african-american vote. and he's beginning to develop an organization. but you have the veterans, the military -- >> the republican side this is going to be a battle. >> republican side, donald trump is playing to the veterans and the military. i'm not sure kasich can do that. >> i want a trump-kasich ticket. that's what i want to see.
10:54 am
that has gotten lost that i think may feed into a perception that we don't cover these things the same. the iowa results, three of the top four candidates on the republican side were two his hispanics and an african-american. you know, historic night for the republican party. they're not -- >> regenerating a party that is old lifefes very important. >> another thing that got missed s little bit last night. mary kathrine ham who lost her husband in august and delivered their second child in november did a terrific job last night. >> she did. >> i want to take my hat off to her. she's inspiring. >> absolutely. >> good debate. >> it was a good debate. let's leave here on a lighter note. ififou were watching "saturday night live" last night, you would be exucused as we were to two bernie sanders on stage. we were talking to sanders live intudio 8h live with larry
10:55 am
>> i am so sick over the 1% getting this preferential treatment. [ applause ] enough is enough. we need to unite and work together if we're all going to get through this. >> sounds like socialism to me. >> democratic socialism. >> what's the difference? >> huge difference. >> huge. >> huge. >> that was one more punch line there, andrea, he talked about they land on ellis island and he says, you know, my name is bernie sanders witski, drop the witski, sounds less jewish. >> it's funny we can laugh about that, but the other thing that could be history making and they're talking about it is the first jewish prprident. >> no, he's going to be the first jewish candidate on the democratic side to win delegates here in new hampshire.
10:56 am
there's been history all over the place. first, rst, first. and i've been surprised all over the coverage. we did it right here. >> talk like this or think like -- >> i know, i know. >> our kids don't get it. >> that's it for today. we'll be back next week because if it's sunday, it's "meet the press."ess." good morning good morning, hello, my name is patricia rodriguez. good morning governor, counsel, and jim allen. good morning everyone. i think it's still the most important thing we can do for any family in this state is to create an opportunity for them to get a job. i'm a single mother of three. ve been working for the seminole tribe for fifteen years now. this company has giveveme the opportunity to provide for my children. how does it make you fe when you worry about
10:57 am
if the compact isn't signed, then it does`affect me tremendously because i would be out of a job. a month ago my sister passed away. she have children? how many? five. so are you taking care of them? yes. is compact not being signed would affect me and many people that have grown with me at this company. if would affect them immensely. jobs for florida.
10:58 am
10:59 am

13 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on