Skip to main content

tv   CBS This Morning  CBS  February 21, 2012 7:00am-9:00am EST

7:00 am
it is tuesday, february 21, 2012. welcome to studio 57. i'm scharly rose, breaking news as europe agrees overnight to a $170 billion bailout deal for greece. will it prevent a financial collapse from reaching the united states? also this morning we'll ask newt gingrich why he says president obama is a threat to national security. and i'm gayle king. pat buchanan talks to us about his new book that cost him his job. and when i see you at 8:00, dr. may you angelou talks about the advice she would give herself. >> we get under way in a high-profile case of a college steenlt who then killed himself.
7:01 am
plus a controversial diet drug that could make you lose more than just weight. but first we do as we do every morning, we look at today's eye opener. your world in 90 seconds. so defeating barack obama bee comes a duty of national security. the president has a radical environmental ideology and even a theology. president santorum's theology will be based on the bible. you want alternative fuel? how about a burning bush? a growing issue in the race is the rising price of gasoline. >> economic concerns and tensions push oil and gas to a new hire. >> iran's new power play. the new threats and fears and how they could dramatically change the cost to you. >> i think progress has been made. >> europe agrees on a second bailout package for greece to save it from the brink of
7:02 am
default. outrage in afghanistan. the military's december creation of the muslims' holy book. >> when we learned of this effort, we immediately intervened. my apologies to the noble people of palestine. oklahoma damage. the severe storm. and the weather haas turned deadly. the big question today. will the dow hit that milestone, 13,000. it is mardi gras in the big easy, and revelers are enjoying every second about it. >> what's the big thing about it? >> all that? the girls. >> this is an image i could do without. >> they now have a time-out. they -- >> all that matters -- >> they don't care. >> yeah. >> on "cbs this morning." >> have you absolutely embraced the whole thing with much enthusiasm? >> it's much, much better to be rich and famous. captioning funded by cbs
7:03 am
welcome to "cbs this morning." we begin with two major financial news story. european countries agreed overnight to a $170 billion bailout of greece. >> the hope there is it will stop the debt crisis from spreading to the u.s. and other countries. meanwhile gas prices in the u.s. are turning into a major issue. >> business and economics correspondent rebecca jarvis is here this morning. good morning. >> good morning. >> is this going to work? >> a lot of people would like that to be the case, but all analysts are looking at this a potential one step that leads to numerous other steps. greece has been facing financial problems for five years now. the country has been in recession. this puts in place a plan where it brings down the national debt to 120% of gdp by 2012 -- or 2020, rather. that's still a very small step in the right direction, plus -- and we've talked about this
7:04 am
before, charlie -- greece is in a position where it's trying to grow, and at the same time it has these constraints of debt weighing it down. growing in this scenario is harder to do than previous. so it's a country really stuck in a cycle right now, and breaking out of that particular cycle is a lot harder than coming to this deal sneechb let's take a look at what's happening at home. a lot of americans concerned about the rising price of gas. how high is it expected to go, and what is driving this trend upward. >> some of the predictions say it could rise another 60 centses in the next couple of months. right now the national average is $3.57. it continues to rise and two major critical pieces are behind it. for one, it's europe. it's the fact that europe looks like it may be improving a little bit with this greek deal. it actually plays into this. but the other big component is geopolitical risk. it's wrong. it's the fact that the strait of hormuz could be closed.
7:05 am
and the fact that iran funds not only the united states wu the country with oil. traders here in new york are as concerned about it as trards in london, as traders around the globe, and that brings up prices. >> becky, thanks. just one week today michigan voters will vote in the presidential primary. several michigan polls show him trailing rick santorum, but the race seems to be getting tight again. national correspondent dean reynolds is in grand rapids, michigan, this morning. dean, good morning. >> reporter: good morning, erica. well, you know, this may look like it's boiling down to a two-person race, but i hesitate to call it that. if this competition has taught us one thing, it is that it can change by the day or even by the hour. >> this has been quite a roller-coaster right for us. >> reporter: for rick santorum, that's a serious understatement. barely registering in the poll as few short weeks ago, he's now
7:06 am
leading mitt romney here in michigan where romney grew up as well as nationally. santorum spent much of monday in ohio and michigan attacking president obama. >> this president is doing everything he can to shut down the manufacturing sector of this economy, both from environmental, regulatory, tax position. he alienates every one of our allies. and he's trying to apiece and negotiate with every one of our enemies. >> reporter: scrambling to stay competitive, santorum attacks romney as a phony. >> he goes to washington, calls himself a budget hawk, then after he's been there a while, he says he's no longer a budget hawk. well, i am a budget hawk. i don't want to spend more money than we take im. >> reporter: the romney rsh santorum battle has left newt gingrich outside, looking in. >> in oklahoma, gingrich sought
7:07 am
to remain relevant by reminding voters that are facing a stark choice. >> barack obama is the most dangerous president in modern american history. so defeating barack obama becomes, in fact, a duty of national security because the fact is he is incapable of defending the united states. >> reporter: now, the good news for gingrich is that the super pac, which supports him, raised $11 million last month. the bad news is that it spent about 10 million of those dollars and most of the funding from the super pac still comes from one source, las vegas casino owner sheldon add elson. newt gingrich is with us from oklahoma city. good morning, mr. speaker. >> good morning. how are you, charlie? >> we want to talk about not object what you said about president obama but other issues. where do you see this race today and if santorum wins in
7:08 am
michigan, what does that mean? >> i think if santorum wins in michigan, it's a big step up for him, an enormous defeat for mitt romney who put $40 million of his own money in, has run for six years, spent more than all the rest of us. so this is romney's home turf. he was supposed to have carried it easily. the very in fact it's so close means it's a wide open race. i agree with santorum. it's a wild roller coaster. i've about been in the lead twice. santorum is now in the lead. but so were, you know, governor perry, so was tim pawlenty at one point had a good chance. so did michele bachmann. so did herman cain. >> what separates you from rick santorum in the message you have for voters? >> i don't know. i think the biggest thing that separates us is i agree to a very, very large change, whether it's a national policy designed
7:09 am
to drive the price of gasoline down to below $2.50 and to make sure no future president bows to a saudi king or we defer to the young people. or it's going zero capital gains and 100% expensing for all new equipment so yu really have a dramatic rebirth of the american economy. there are a number of areas where i think i'm probably much bolder than senator santorum, but in a sense, we both represent a much more conservative wick of the party than does governor romney. >> that brings us to president obama. you believe that he wants to see more expensive gas, you have said? >> of course, he did. come on, charlie. you know that. he has said it himself. chu, his secretary, in 2008 said he wanted gasoline prices to get to the european level which is $9 or $10 a gallon. last year he said people
7:10 am
shouldn't complain about high gas prices. they ought to by more efficient cars. the president himself said he wants to get there. it he just wants it to be graud. the policy has been outrageously ant anti-american policy. >> we paid $1.13 a gallon when i was speaker. 1 in 10u$,000 subsidy per car, you think about what you can do for average working americans if you hand them a $10,000 check. the average person who buys a volt has $170,000 annual income. so president obama in effect is giving income redistribution to the wealthy and in purr suit of his own fantasy, which is an electric car which is going to liberate us from saudi arabia. i want to have american drilling, oil, natural gas, coal.
7:11 am
i want american energy which is pick practical. it's matter of national security i e-mail glad you said that. what did you mean when you said it's duty to defeat president obama because of national security because one would assume if in fact president obama was a risk to national security, that people like bob gates and secretary clinton and lots of other people would not have been serving in that administration. >> they agree with his world view. ask secretary clinton, why would she hold a meeting with the organization of islamic countries at the state didn't to talk about censoring anti-islamic talk. why would an iraqi picked up as he tries to bomb the capitol, they can't even describe him. that you obviously know what president obama would say and
7:12 am
has said before. this administration proudly claims it killed not only osama bin laden but others and their anti-al qaeda campaign has been very effective, and they're at the heart of fundamental radical islam. >> my answer to that has been so effective, they barely got a guy on saturday who's tried to blow up the u.s. capitol. the pakistanis have now rested in pakistani for helping the americans, not very having gotten bin laden. the islam brotherhood is now the dominatine dominator. they have no energy policy. >> what would you have done with respect to the -- what would you have done if you were president
7:13 am
with respect to mubarak and the fall of mubarak and becoming to whatever democratic election take place there, both for the par lament and the future election of the president. >> i'm going to kworj george schultz who said when somebody's been your ally for 30 years you want to quietly leave. i would suggest to you this is an administration nobody trusts. it's the reason the saudis are signing a treaty with the chinese, not the american. the president vetoes the keystone pipeline. he is slowing down the flow of energy in the united states and driving canada into a partnership with china. and these things are all bad for american security. >> mr. speaker, let me come to one final question. you seem to be saying the president is running over the constitution, that he's violating the course and intent
7:14 am
of the united states. you seem to be saying that the president is not patriotic. you seem to be questioning the patriotism of the president of the united states. >> the president of the united states is patriotic in a world view that involves the righting. clearly his recess appointments were unconstitutional. again and again, this is a president who routinely only obeys those laws he personally deems fit. i think that his attack on the catholic church is unconstitutional. it's a violation of the first amendment. now, thing that's an important debate for us to have as a country. >> and that's why we're having an election. thank you so much, speaker gingrich. >> thank you. there are violent protests in afghanistan this morning after u.s. troops destroyed copies of the koran. more than 2,000 afghans stormed the gate at bagram airfield
7:15 am
where koran and other religious articles were burned in the trash. some yelled, "die, die, foreigners." they say it was unintentional and it will never happen again. meantime iran is warning the u.s. not to try to send weapons to the rebels. and there are new questions about a pair of warships from iran that just left syria after a two-day visit. cbs news foreign correspondent clarissa ward is back after a risky trip. she is now in london. clarissa, good morning. >> good morning. >> we begin with the question of whether there will be a way for people as senator mccain suggested providing arms for those rebels in syria and what will happen if they do not get those kinds of -- that kind of support. >> well, i think the first question you have to ask yourself is how do you identify the opposition?
7:16 am
who are you giving those weapons to, and how are you getting them to them? >> the group that we were with calls themselves the syrian liberation army, but there are many other armed groups out there. it's very difficult at this point with no clear sense of unity within the opposition to know how it would go about arming them. >> therefore, what happens? >> well, that's a very tough question to answer at the moment. it's impossible to see how the opposition can continue to sustain itself at this rate with no outside support, with no outside supply line, with no money, and, of course, this is all against the backdrop of a humanitarian crisis, which is getting worse and worse by the day. >> so being inside and talking to people that you talk to, how do you measure how far the assad administration in syria will go to put down all of the rebels, especially what they're doing in
7:17 am
homs? >> the rebels who i was with in the northern city have no doubt that cities like hama to the north of the city of homs which is being bombarded currently, will be next on the list of the crackdown. they're trying to stomp out any last vestiges, and they're willing to use any tactics to get there, achieve that goal. we've seen relentless bombardment. they're saying 24 people have been killed. >> we've said many times how reporters are not welcome in syria, yet you managed to get in and out. give us a sense of how you did that? >> we ha ad go into the country illegally. the border crossing is dangerous and physically demanding. there are several ways to do it. our entry was inferiorly straightforward, but our exit
7:18 am
was much more complex. it had been raining all week and there was severe rain. we were trudging through thick canals, wading through three miles in the dead of night with no real cover. >> clarissa, thank you very much. it's time to show you headlines from around the globe. a white house spelling mistake made headlines in the "new york post." vice president joe biden will be in rhode island. there have been several recent attacks on western troops. the houston chronicle says houston is america's fattest city. that's according to "men's fitness" magazine. the reason, houston has 1,000 more fast food restaurants than any other place.
7:19 am
he tried to explain literally how the leopard got his spots. he said it had to do with two different chemicals. now scientists have confirmed he was right all along. oklahoma is cleaning up the damage from a powerful line of thunderstorms. monday's storms were brief but severe with winds of more than 60 miles per hour. a trailer park about 15 miles southeast of oklahoma city was
7:20 am
>> announcer: this national weather report sponsored by puffs. a nose in need deserves puffs. a high-profile cyber bullying trial is about to get under way in new jersey. a young man faces ten years in prison for spying on his college roommate with a webcam. is he responsible for his suicide. and pat buchanan talks about the controversy of his new book and how it got him fired. you're watching "cbs this morning."
7:21 am
>> announcer: this portion of "cbs this morning" sponsored by expedia. bundle your travel to save. expedia. [ sniffling ] [ male announcer ] all stuffed up?
7:22 am
simple relief is here. introducing robitussin® nasal relief pills. the right relief for nasal congestion...in a pill. ♪ new from robitussin®. relief made simple. prego?! but i've been buying ragu for years. [ thinking ] i wonder what other questionable choices i've made? [ club scene music ] [ sigh of relief ] [ male announcer ] choose taste. choose prego. so we made ocean spray cranberry juice cocktail with a splash of lime. it's so refreshing, your taste buds will thank you. mm... oh, you're welcome. what? my taste buds -- they're thanking me. uh-huh.
7:23 am
"cbs this morning" sponsored by s how about we make a big change for just a little money? let's start with a paint we know can do the job. new glidden duo paint plus primer available only at the home depot. one coat does double duty.
7:24 am
and fits our budget perfectly. so there's a brand-new room... ...right where the old one used to be. more saving. more doing. that's the power of the home depot. new glidden duo paint plus primer. only at the home depot. and starting at only $24.97 a gallon. chili's lunch break combos are full of delicious choices, starting at just 6 bucks. choose from savory favorites or our new philly cheesesteak sandwich. layers of shaved steak and grilled peppers served with fries and a tasty soup or salad. chili's lunch break combos. instead of blaming me, try advil congestion relief. often the real problem is swelling, not mucus. advil congestion relief reduces swelling due to nasal inflammation. so i can breathe. advil congestion relief.
7:25 am
in northern italy this morning it's the battle of the oranges. it's traditional spectacle. it's supposed to represent the fighttyranny. 500 tons of oranges were brought in. jury selection is under way. college student tyler clementi killed himself after his roommate spied on his encounter with another man. the roommate faces several charges including a hate crime. >> and that hate crime could get
7:26 am
him ten years if convicted. we'll ask erin moriarity of
7:27 am
7:28 am
7:29 am
7:30 am
how you been? before we start the broadcast tonight, i just want to address my recent absence from the national conversation. as the hub around which the republic turns, i can understand why the machinery of this great nation ground to a halt last week when you were denied this. oh, one more thing. evidently having 11 children makes you tough as nails. confidential to a lovely lady -- >> welcome back, stephen colbert. the lovely lady he referred to was his mom. he missed two shows last week
7:31 am
because she was ill. we welcome you back and welcome you back to "cbs this morning.." jury selection begins in the trial of dharun ravi. ravi is charged with invasion of privacy. a hate crime calling for ten years in prison. "48 hours'" correspondent erin moriarity takes a look at the case. >> reporter: like so many teenagers, dharun ravi, 18 years old when he entered rutgers communicated incessantly online. now those tweets and e-mails he sent are likely to be used against him as prosecutors try to prove he harassed tyler clementi because he believed his roommate was guy. even before he met clemente, he said, "f" my life, he's guy.
7:32 am
he twice focused his computer camera at clemente's bed when clemente had a man in the room. the second time posting on the social media site, twitter, yes, it's happening again. two days after he discovered that ravi had spied on him, clemente took a train to new york city. at 8:42 p.m. he left this message on facebook. jumping off the george washington bridge. sorry. law professor poirier says it may be a reason he's facing unusually harsh charges. >> when you talk to people on the street or go on the web, it's still often perceived that rah-rah i have did something that caused clemente to kill himself. >> reporter: ironically the digital record may also help ravi's defense. his attorneys are expected to show clem plenty's own online
7:33 am
postings to show he's not intimidated. doesn't seem so bad, laugh out loud, chatting to a friend after he realized he was spied on. an e-mail was sent, i know you are gay. i have no problem with it. i don't want your freshman year to be ruined because of a petty misunderstanding. tyler clementi most likely never got a chance to read it. >> erin moriarity is with us in studio 57. it seems social media is becoming increasingly important when it comes to cases. >> this is a sign of the times. we're going to see this more and more. and it's not just to prove intent which is, you know, just for basic charges. but what's worrisome is prosecutors are using this electronic evidence to actually bring more serious charges. dharun ravi would have just been charged with invasion of privacy but because of his tweets and texts they charge him with bias
7:34 am
intimidation, which is a hate crime that cover as much harsher sentence. you know in the yeardley love case, his defense was he didn't mean do it and he might have been facing manslaughter charges but shenlt that, you know, i think it was an e-mail two days later saying i should have killed you. boom. fir first-degree charges. >> you bring up in your piece as well that dharun ravi reached out after tyler perhaps may have already passed or was on his way into new york. do we know anything more about the relationship between these two? did they talk to each other online or via text even if they didn't talk in person? >> the picture i was given, and this is so sad, is here you had two young men who did more talking on the internet and online to other people about each other and did very little talking to each other at all and you keep wondering could this whole thing have been avoided if they had talked out their differences?
7:35 am
it's incredibly sad. i do want to point out there's an amazing letter that james clemente put in "out" magazine. >> tyler's brother. >> yes. an open letter to his brother. it was just this month. it's significant. a lot of people blame dharun ravi. i noticed in that letter that jim never mentions ravi's name. it's a heartbreaking letter. if i have one second i'd love to read part of it. he wrote i wish it didn't take you dying for your soul to know peace. i wish you could read hundreds of letters we got, thousands who marched for you, the millions who followed your story on the 6:00 news. you were never alone. it just felt like it. that was so heartbreaking. it really is. >> nice to have you this morning. >> it's great being here. thank you. pat buchanan always has an opinion about politics. now that he's out of a job after critics called his new book sexist, racist, anti-gay, and
7:36 am
anti-s antismim it. >> actoralen alda will be with us. you're watching "cbs this morning." losing weight clicked for me when i lost weight in all the right places. you know what i mean! [ laughs ] when i tried to lose weight other ways, i felt hungry all the time. on weight watchers online, i eat all day long. i loved grabbing those activity points and throwing them into my tracker. and then it adds it up for you at the end of the week so that you can earn more points for food. i never thought that way before. i lost 38 pounds with weight watchers online. i really did it. [ laughs ] [ female announcer ] join for free today. weight watchers online. finally, losing weight clicks.
7:37 am
new ocean spray cherry juice drinks, like cran-cherry, made with sweet cherries and the crisp taste of cranberries. ah, sweet deal! find out how to get a free cherry juice drink at oceanspray.com or on facebook. with less chronic osteoarthritis pain. imagine living your life with less chronic low back pain. imagine you, with less pain. cymbalta can help. cymbalta is fda-approved to manage chronic musculoskeletal pain. one non-narcotic pill a day, every day,
7:38 am
can help reduce this pain. tell your doctor right away if your mood worsens, you have unusual changes in mood or behavior or thoughts of suicide. antidepressants can increase these in children, teens, and young adults. cymbalta is not approved for children under 18. people taking maois or thioridazine or with uncontrolled glaucoma should not take cymbalta. taking it with nsaids, aspirin, or blood thinners may increase bleeding risk. severe liver problems, some fatal, were reported. signs include abdominal pain and yellowing skin or eyes. tell your doctor about all your medicines, including those for migraine and while on cymbalta, call right away if you have high fever, confusion and stiff muscles or serious allergic skin reactions like blisters, peeling rash, hives, or mouth sores to address possible life-threatening conditions. talk about your alcohol use, liver disease and before you reduce or stop cymbalta. dizziness or fainting may occur upon standing. ask your doctor about cymbalta. imagine you with less pain. cymbalta can help. go to cymbalta.com to learn about a free trial offer.
7:39 am
7:40 am
. good morning to our friends in boston there this morning. a look at the city. political pundit and former presidential candidate pat buchanan was fired by msnbc after ten years as a contributor to the news site because of his book. >> they said the ideas in the book aren't really appropriate for national dialogue. pat buchanan is at the white house to talk about that. let me begin. newt gingrich has said in the last 24 hours it's the duty of america to defeat barack obama because of national security, that he's writing over the constitution. how do you assess those remarks?
7:41 am
>> well, i do agree that the president of the united states has used obama care really to ride rough shot over the prerogatives of the roman catholic church when you order the church and its institutions to engage in activities that that church has taught for centuries to be morally wrong. and i think the president has partially backed off of that and i think he should back off entirely, charlie. >> what about the race so far in terms of president obama and his inability to defend the national security of the united states, also part of speaker gingrich's remarks? >> i think the president's done a good job on the war of terror and i disagree with some of my republican colleagues. i think we have to move out of iraq and move out of afghanistan. so i don't fault the president that much in terms of what he's done on foreign policy as i do domestic policy, charlie. >> all right. let me begin by talking about this book. tell us what it is that you want
7:42 am
us to understand. the title of the book is "will america survive to 2025:suicide of a super power." and in the preface you sail a con clievs period we're in the indian summer of our civilization. it's written suicides die by murder. unlike the prodigal sun we can't go back home. what do you want us to understand? >> i want the folks to read that book and understand is it western civilization in its indian summer? it's on, in my judgment, much on its last legs and i'm not sure it will survive this century. if you look at europe, not a single european nation has a birth rate which will enable to survive in its present form. we do know about the economic crisis over there, but there is
7:43 am
also an ethno-national crisis. cameron says the same in britain. sarkozy says so in france. we saw all the riots in london last summer where first ethnic groups rose up and then the londoners rode along with them. what i'm worrying about is the united states of america that's shifting to become a multi--national, multi-ethic, multi-lingual, there's nothing to hold us together if we lose our common larngs common moral consensus, which we are losing. >> so you're not saying the nation has to be white and christian which some of your critics are saying. >> the critics should read the book instead of trying to black list and censor the book, charlie.
7:44 am
in 1960 because of the melting pot we had all come together, irish and germans and english and polish and jewish and czech and greek into one nation under god, but the culture and all the things that have held us together, we have thrown out. the public schools which introduced us to english literature, american history and heroes and holidays, that's thrown out. we're becoming a tower of babel, and i don't think we'll survive. >> i thought what the statue of liberty meant if we welcome everybody to our shores that that is what has made us strong because people have come from outside the united states to make giant contributions in war and peace to make us the strong country that we are, and that is what our essential power -- that is what has given us enormous strides in technology, in science, in health, and, yes, in fighting the wars that we felt were necessary for our national security. >> charlie, what is the motto of
7:45 am
the united states? out of many, one. it is not just a diversity that makes america strong. it is the unity we finally had in the depression and world war ii in the 1950s. we were one people united under god, indivisible in one nation. what is happening now is that the elites in this country have taken the melting pot and thrown it out. they're saying to people, come to america, keep your culture, keep your separate religion, keep your separate different beliefs. america has become a nation of nations. >> how are they saying keep your beliefs but not at the same time accept the values and the constitution of the country that you have come to? it's one thing to understand your own roots but another to accept the principles of the constitution and the united states. >> charlie, let me ask you about the constitution of the united states. what does the ninth amendment
7:46 am
say with regard to the killing of the unborn or pro-choice?ivi constitution says. what does the 14th amendment say about affirmative action which is discriminatory over white folks. we disagree over the first amendment, freedom of religion. president obama thinks it means you go into the catholic church and tell them to start distributing condoms and start doing abortions. >> you know the president has changed that. he has changed that -- >> can i tell you a story, charlie? my foreran an accounting firm in d.c. it was the largest of the small fir firms, not the big eight. he was a defoult catholic. under obama's rule he would still be required fro provide health care, which meant distribution of condoms, stirlizations and things like that. he would engage in civil disobedience rather than do that. the government of the united
7:47 am
states has got enormous power and it's growing in power and it has driven christianity out of the public schools and out of the public square. now it is encroaching on the realm of the church itself. i do believe that. look. these catholic bishops, they're not natural born fighters, say, like pat buchanan. they don't want to fight with president obama. >> well, they did speak out -- obviously we're up against the clock here, pat. thank you for joining us. >> sure.
7:48 am
the government is taking another look at a controversial new diet drug, which does help people lose weight, but we're learning some of those people could also lose their memory. we'll ask a top die yet doctor about the pros and cons of requeqnex qnexa, a drug he actually prescribes. you're watching "cbs this morning." do. he wasn't focused on his future. but fortunately, somebody else was. at usaa we provide retirement planning for our military, veterans and their families. now more than ever, it's important to get financial advice from people who share your military values. for our free usaa retirement guide, call 877-242-usaa.
7:49 am
the day starts with arthritis pain... a load of new listings... and two pills. after a morning of walk-ups, it's back to more pain, back to more pills. the evening showings bring more pain and more pills. sealing the deal... when, hang on... her doctor recommended aleve. it can relieve pain all day with fewer pills than tylenol. this is lois... who chose two aleve and fewer pills for a day free of pain. [ female announcer ] and try aleve for relief from tough headaches. for a day free of pain. and, just like toddlers, puppies need food made for them. that's why there's purina puppy chow... with all the essential nutrients your growing puppy needs. purina puppy chow. ready or not, here i come! ♪ found ya! you always find me.
7:50 am
you always hide here. [ male announcer ] tim and richard smucker have always loved the taste of just-picked fruit. so it's no wonder why today smucker's makes the world's best jam. for five generations, with a name like smucker's, it has to be good. and also to build my career. so i'm not about to always let my frequent bladder urges, or the worry my pipes might leak get in the way of my busy lifestyle. that's why i take care, with vesicare.
7:51 am
once-daily vesicare can help control your bladder muscle and is proven to treat overactive bladder with symptoms of frequent urges and leaks day and night. if you have certain stomach or glaucoma problems, or trouble emptying your bladder, do not take vesicare. vesicare may cause allergic reactions that may be serious. if you experience swelling of the face, lips, throat or tongue, stop taking vesicare and get emergency help. tell your doctor right away if you have severe abdominal pain, or become constipated for three or more days. vesicare may cause blurred vision, so use caution while driving or doing unsafe tasks. common side effects are dry mouth, constipation, and indigestion. i've worked hard to get to where i am... and i've got better places to go than always going to the bathroom. so take charge of your symptoms by talking to your doctor and go to vesicare.com for a free trial offer. room with a look what's coming up in our next hour.
7:52 am
gayle. >> thank you, charlie. if you could go back in time, what advice would you give yourself when you were younger? today we look at the advice that may you angelou would have given herself. 20 words babies should know. i'll give you a hijt. banana is one of them. >> announcer: this portion of "cbs this morning" sponsored by prudential. every challenge is an opportunity. prudential, bring your challenges. you always have homework, okay? i don't have homework today. it's what's right here is what is most important to me. it's beautiful. ♪ ♪ are they good? they are really good here. really good? i just have a question. your profile said you were milk...? mm-hmm, yeah, i am. you just...look... like granola.
7:53 am
granola. yeah, i know. [ sighs ] i get that a lot. so, did you -- you know what? this was a mistake. no, wait. please don't go. i'm -- i'm -- i'm kind of into it. [ male announcer ] it's a snack like nothing else. kraft milkbite bars are made with real milk combined with tasty granola. find me in the dairy aisle. please. combined with tasty granola. chase scene, netflix coming soon extra butter tickets, swoon penguin journey junior mints moviefone evil prince bollywood 3-d shark attack ned the head 5% cashback right now, get 5% cashback on movies. it pays to discover. there's another way to minimize litter box odor: purina tidy cats. our premium litters now work harder to help neutralize odors in multiple cat homes. purina tidy cats. keep your home smelling like home. i have copd. if you have it, you know how hard it can be to breathe and what that feels like. copd includes chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
7:54 am
spiriva helps control my copd symptoms... by keeping my airways open a full 24 hours. plus, it reduces copd flare-ups. spiriva is the only once-daily inhaled copd maintenance treatment that does both. and it's steroid-free. spiriva does not replace fast-acting inhalers for sudden symptoms. tell your doctor if you have kidney problems, glaucoma, trouble urinating, or an enlarged prostate. these may worsen with spiriva. discuss all medicines you take, even eye drops. stop taking spiriva and seek immediate medical help if your breathing suddenly worsens, your throat or tongue swells, you get hives, vision changes or eye pain, or problems passing urine. other side effects include dry mouth and constipation. nothing can reverse copd. spiriva helps me breathe better. does breathing with copd weigh you down? ask your doctor if spiriva can help.
7:55 am
7:56 am
7:57 am
7:58 am
7:59 am
8:00 am
people you see walking the streets have been up all night. that's because mardi gras in ne orleans. it's fat tuesday. welcome back to "cbs this morning." >> why are we here? >> i don't know. i've never been. >> i'm charlie rose with erica hill. it's been 18 years. mark will take a second look. >> the agency rejected it in 2010 because of safety concerns. what is it now? dr. judith korner joins us now. i misspoke earlier.
8:01 am
i said you prescribe qnexa. you don't. but you have prescribed essentially the same combination of drugs. >> right. it's the combination of two drirnlt drugs. when is called phentermine, the other is called topirimate. it's very effective together to produce weight loss. phentermine has been around for decades, and topirimate is also around. >> when you say very effective, what does that mean? is there a number? >> well, there have been a number of studies, and the most recent study lasted for a little over a year. and the person who takes the higher dose and sticks with the treatment may be expected to lose about 14% of body weight. so if you're 200 pounds, that would be about 28%. having said that, though, that's an average weight loss, and a third of the patients lost even
8:02 am
more weight than that. and then there are some people who don't respond that well. >> look. i know we're a nation of fatty mcfat fats. i'm on jenny craig and ready to bite your arm at the moment. when i hear there's a drug we can possibly take, why all the controversy? >> i think weight loss drugs have had a very checkered past. you know, as you say, causing heart problems and lung problems. so, you know, we need to definitely proceed with caution and make sure that the benefits of the drug outweigh the risks, which i think has definitely been shown to be the case. >> well, has it really, because i mean the questions you'll have to address is the reason the fda did not approve it before, have overcome? has the rink gone away? that's the central question? >> the question about the risks were really based on cardiovascular outcome, so will
8:03 am
people taking this drug have a greater chance of dying of a heart attack, and, no, that necessarily hasn't been addressed. you would need a very long study. >> you would thing that that would have do be addressed if that was the reason for citing it before, somebody would have to satisfy the fda and take a new tesk. >> you have to use reason. the risk of obesity is already known. it causes heart disease and stroke. >> so are you saying the risk of obesity overrides any other use of this drug? >> yes. one has to realize this is not necessarily a new drug in the way that phentermine, which probably carries the potential of more of a risk, has been around for decades and that's still out there. so if this were a true risk, then we would know. we would know that. >> i always wonder, doctor, if a
8:04 am
pill can really help you because isn't it a question of eat less, move more, for most people. isn't that really the reality of the situation? because those of us who struggle with weight always know you have to find what works for you, but isn't the bottom line, eat less, move more, or are you talking a different kind of person who's really, really overweight? >> no. i'm talking about the pretty much garden variety overweight people. and you're right. you know, eat less, move more. but most of the time you can't do that. you know, eat less, you lose weight, and you regain the weight. >> do you expect the fda will approve this? >> my crystal ball is in the room backstage. i hope they do. >> what are you thinking? you looked at it before you came on. that's a good question. what do you think? >> i certainly hope that they approve it. and you can still study the drug once it's out on the market you
8:05 am
have to realize, this is a prescription drug. people can't go to their local drugstore and next to the shampoo buy the medication, okay? they will be monitored. >> and people will continue, even if not approved, to be putting the two drugs together, which has the same effect. >> yeah. the one slight difference with the drug that's out there, the what dow lindsay lohan and
8:06 am
elizabeth taylor have in common? we'll show you when we come back. you're watching "cbs this morning." we'll be right back. [ male announcer ] drinking a smoothie with no vegetable nutrition?
8:07 am
♪ [ gong ] strawberry banana! [ male announcer ] for a smoothie with real fruit plus veggie nutrition new v8 v-fusion smoothie. could've had a v8. new v8 v-fusion smoothie. living with the pain of moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis... ...could mean living with joint damage. help stop the damage before it stops you... ...with humira. for many adults with moderate to severe ra,... ...humira's proven to help relieve pain and stop joint damage. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal events can occur, such as infections, lymphoma, or other types of cancer, blood, liver, and nervous system problems,... ...serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before starting humira, your doctor should test you for tb. ask your doctor if you live or have been to a region
8:08 am
where certain fungal infections are common. tell your doctor if you have had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have symptoms such as fever, fatigue, cough, or sores. you should not start humira if you have any kind of infection. ask your rheumatologist how you can defend against... ...and help stop further joint damage with humira.
8:09 am
>> woman: don't forget the yard work! >> o.k. >> announcer: with citibank's popmoney, dan can easily send money by email right from his citibank account. >> nice job, ben. >> announcer: well played, dan. well played. citibank popmoney. easier banking. standard at citibank.
8:10 am
i love being in america. i want to live here. >> okay. that would be wonderful. i'll set you up with some stuff where you can hang out. have a little bedroom. you can stay here. >> maybe a tea party room. >> yeah. you can have a tea party room. that would be great. >> you're getting so excited, you're lifting your dress up. >> we wouldn't mind. >> when you get excited, do you lift up your skirt? >> no, gayle, because i don't think that's in anybody's best interest. >> i second that emotion. as we looked around the web, we found a few reasons to make a long story short. we learned on apple.com the app store is about to make a billion. if you buy the 20th bill job
8:11 am
app, you'd win a giftcard. chris brown and rihanna recently reported two songs, not just one. he's taking hit for performing rihan rihanna's song "birthday cake." some of the words that babies should be able to use, mommy, daddy, all gone, and bye-bye. scientists if a toddler can't say these words it could signal developmental problems. >> taylor's love affair with richard burton. and britain's telegraph website says that later this year the first test tube hamburger will beserved. at the count of three, ew. researchers will grow meat in a lab using stem cells. lit cost more than $350,000. that's the long story short.
8:12 am
you can do that, erica, or you can go to shake shack or abc kitchen. time for this morn's "healthwatch," here's dr. holly phillips. good morning. in today's "healthwatch," the vitamin d dilemma. vitamin d is hot. sales have soared to $550 million in 2010. that's up more than 1000% in less than a decade. that's because it's been linked to a reduced risk for illnesses like some cancers, diabetes, heart disease. but too much can be as bad as too little. researchers looked at 2,000 adults and found that a marker for people linked to heart disease was higher for those whose vitamin d were above the normal range. they recommend that children and adults get 600 international units of provide min d a day.
8:13 am
people older than 70 should get 800. but few foods have a lot of natural vitamin d. milk is mostly fortified so one cup equals about 100 i.u. researchers warn some might be good but too much in certain cases can hurt you. you can have your blood tested to determine your lever and how much d is right for you. i'm dr. holly phillips. >> announcer: cbs "healthwatch" sponsored by dove neutra wash. a? my hips, they know. my shins, they get it. [ female announcer ] only dove body wash has nutrium moisture and a breakthrough formula that goes beyond moisture to nourish deep down like no other. [ female announcer ] dove body wash. proven effective natural nourishment. ♪ the nourishment of nutrium moisture is also available in all your favourite dove body wash products.
8:14 am
8:15 am
the nourishment of nutrium moisture is also available mid grade dark roast forest fresh full tank brain freeze cake donettes rolling hot dogs bag of ice anti-freeze
8:16 am
wash and dry diesel self-serve fix a flat jumper cables 5% cashback right now, get 5% cashback at gas stations. it pays to discover. ♪ ja wow. that wow, that is grammy award-winning violinist joshua
8:17 am
bell from his latest c doctor. his 36th. it went right to number one on billboard's classical traditional chart. joshua bell is with us in studio 57. nice to have you here this morning. >> thanks. thanks for having me her this morning. >> it's not what you expect when you think of a violinist. >> there's so much energy. >> that's the misconception about classical music. this particular album "french impressions" has some of that. it also has, i think, the music of the french repertoire. it has some of the most beautiful music. there's plenty of excitement. >> it's more to me than excitement. i've had the pleasure of seeing you perform twice live. i have to say, joshua, i had no idea playing the violin could be so strenuous. >> it snies when i was watching you, you actually did work up a
8:18 am
sweat. >> oh, yeah. >> i don't know if that's just your style or if that's what happens to everybody because it was like watching you -- you are so fast and so strong and so vigorous, i had no idea that you guys sweat when you're playing, i really didn't. you see it as -- i normally see it as a -- and it's very civilized. i've never seen anybody like you do this before. >> no. it's -- i mean civilized, no, definitely not. >> is anybody as strenuous as you? >> to play great music that's so full of emotion, of course, it takes a lot of emotional and physical energy. it is sort of athletic. >> athletic. that's the word. >> the white tie and tails used to be customary. it's unfortunate. because the music -- i think it conjures of classical music as being very formal. the music itself is absolutely not. >> people who know you know that you started the when you were a
8:19 am
child, 3, 4 years old, that you were immediately drawn to it. your parents obviously encouraged it a lot. but they probably don't know other things about you. you mentioned this is athletic. you were a big tennis player. >> yes. i was competitive in sports. i loved bachblt i'm from indiana. basketball was the thing to do. my parents wanted me to do all that stuff. they didn't lock me in a room and say practice, practice. i think that's why i probably enjoyed it so much because i wasn't forced to do that. >> do you find that people come to you now after your shows and say what can i do, how can i encourage my child? is that what you tell them? encourage them in any way you can? >> it depends. because i feel like i'm often giving two sets of advice. in general to parents, get them into music, advocate for them, get them good teachers. there are others i say leave them alone, don't make them practice, let them be normal
8:20 am
kids. it depends who i'm talking to. music is so important for kids. when i'm not playing, i go to schools, make sure it's in the schools. unfortunately it gets dropped from schools left and right and music does so much for kids and self- self-esteem. it's important for kids do. >> it's fun, josh. i love the shot of you as a little boy. how old were you? they use the word "prodigy" to describe you. that's huge. >> i think i heard that term once in a while. >> how old were you? >> at that point, 13. i looked about 7, but i was 13. i can't remember not having music, so i just grew up with it. >> but loving it, when you knew, oh, my gosh, i love this. >> i think i pretty much always loved it. i didn't want to always
8:21 am
practice, don't get me wrong. my mom often had to yell at me to practice, but i always loved music. as i got older, i realized it's an incredible way of expressing yourself. when i got older, i thought, wow, this is a real outlet. >> this is a big deal, not only for you in your career, but you're the only other person who has held this position. >> sir neville was the director for 50 years and they named me the new director. new venture doing phonic repertoiring. and as an artist you have to keep challenging yourself. to me it's a challenge because it's uncharted territory for me. but you can't get stuck doing what you do all the time. >> one quick question. of all the grammy nominees this year, is there one you really liked? contemporary art ist? >> you know what? i wasn't nominated the year, so
8:22 am
i haven't watched. i've been to the grammys many times and i do like all kinds of music. >> it's all right. >> listening to whitney houston, i have to say i had forgotten howl beautiful a voice she had. you get so absorbed in what you do. in the last ten years i hadn't listened to her music. and it's like, wow, it's something that i lielz she was one of the greats. >> well, may i just say this, joshua bell. you were fun to watch, even better to listen to. thank you so much for coming. it is a crime that lives in infamy. the manson family brutal murder of actress sharon tachlt her niece will show us why her family is fighting for justice 43 years later. you're watching "cbs this morning." stay with us. your local news is next.
8:23 am
what do you get when you combine the home depot with this weekend? the cure for cabin fever. because with get-it-done savings on everything we need... we can turn this weekend into a fresh floor... or an updated bathroom... or a brand-new look. so let's hit those orange aisles, and make today the day, we make a big difference, no matter how big our budget. more saving. more doing. that's the power of the home depot maximize your budget with great buys, like mosaic tile, just $4.98 per square foot.
8:24 am
8:25 am
8:26 am
8:27 am
8:28 am
8:29 am
8:30 am
who would your dream co-host be? there's catherine, the one-time kate middleton out and about. the duchess of cambridge is visiting a couple of schools in oxford, part of her duties. welcome back to "cbs this morning" at 8:30. do you remember the name sharon tate? it was a huge, huge story back in 1969. this beautiful young actress was
8:31 am
married to director ro e man polanski, was about to give birth to their very first child and she and four other people were murdered in her home by followers of manson. now for the first time the tate family has opened a collection of letters, memoirs in the case. they're in a new book called "restless souls." the authors are in the studio with us this morning. brie tate is sharon's niece. brie, these are things that happened before you were born. things that happened in your family and collected. why put as these documents together and put this book out? >> for me it was really just about finishing something that everyone in my family had started, you know. my mom tried to write an auto biography and my grandmother tried and my papa tried and nothing was ever published, so this is kiemgd of my way of honoring them and fin erishing t
8:32 am
they started. >> part of the book is called "crusade for justice." what is the justice you're seeking. >> keeping these people behind bars. that's what my nana did. >> when she saw there was a chance they could be paroled she started speaking up. in part because of the work that your grandmother did, we now have victim impact statements, true? >> true. she was one of the first to do so. victims were -- before were not allowed to go to parole hearings and give impact statements. now the victims can go or the families of the victim. >> how much was this talked about in your family growing up? >> you know, the murder itself was never really talked about too much, per se, but sharon was definitely talked about very much. she was a big part of my life. photos were all around the house of sharon. >> at the time of the murder,
8:33 am
she was eight months' preg najts, which also added to the attraction of the story. but at the time i vaguely remember there were so many misconcepti misconceptions, alisa, and that's why you decided to write the book. for example i remember it was a big drug-filled house, yoregy-filled house and activity in and out of the house and you're saying none of this was true. >> absolutely. >> you were friends. >> the headline that lived with me is "live freaky, die freaky" as if they had brought these murders on themselves. that was a horrible, horrible headline to see every day. as if to say their daughter, that none of that was true and people in a way were blaming her for these murders and it was crazy. it was horrible. >> they were truly just innocent people. >> insoenlt in their own home, you know, in for the night,
8:34 am
expecting to wake up to another day. >> some of the things which are coming out along with this book, there were recordings that were kept by the family. we have one of them we want to play because i'm sure no one's really heard it before. >> roman will be here in two weeks. he's doing a film out of a book called "rosemary's baby," which you should read. it's a fantastic book. oh, yeah. by the way roman just like you. he smokes cigars. he's very sensitive and stubborn. he's very -- he makes decisions and nothing changes them. >> sharon talking about roman powe polanski. this is a recording she made for her father. he played a really sig can't role in the investigation of the murders it turns out. tell us about that. he had been a military intelligence officer, correct? >> correct. at night he would go and stake out the house where sharon was living. he's go on the cul-de-sac and
8:35 am
watch below. what happened after months and months of watching, two bikers showed up and sharon's house was hard to find and they seemed to know the house really well and at the gate and taunted the dogs to a frenzy. he followed them back to what turned out to be the ranch where manson was hiding out. >> and was instrumental in helping the police. that's something they don't know either, the role your grandfather played. i think this is a gruesome detail too that people don't think about. when a horrible crime occurs, somebody has to go and clean it up. somebody has to take care of it. and as it turns out, it with us your grandfather that took care of that. it turns out that sharon tate was renting the house and then your family was sued for damages to the house. >> exactly. >> so your grandfather had to go clean up the mess that was left and then your family was later sued. i just thought that was a cruel and unkind thing.
8:36 am
>> you know, it's the absolute worst thing that can happen to a victim's family, and the callousness with which the owner of the house did that, to blame the -- he basically blamed the victims and filing a $250,000 lawsuit for damages sustained during the murders. i don't think it gets any worse in that. and the vision of a father on his hands and niece skribing his daughter's blood is really horrible. he continued that lawsuit well after the manson crime. he never let it go. >> the one thing you wanted to accomplish, we know the names. we know sharon tate and manson. we don't know any of the other people involved. we don't want to forget the other victims. >> i think people remember the crimes and they certainly remember the manson family, but certainly the victims have been overshadowed in this case for many, many years. >> all right, brie tate and alisa statman, thanks so much.
8:37 am
"restless souls" is now available in your bookstores or online. this morning mitt romney
8:38 am
8:39 am
>> robin keggen was krejtsly described by the watchboat as his favorite adviser because the president gave a thumbs up to an essay that kagan wrote for the magazine. it didn't seem to bother mr. obama that this senior fellow at the brook igs institute is a fellow adviser of mitt romney. i'm pleased to have robin kagan join us. good morning. >> good morning, charlie. >> did you have anything?
8:40 am
>> no, i talked to tom donilin and others on the white house staff about various foreign policy issues but i never talked to them about this. >> as you know, tom came on my late night program and talked about the fact that the president had been influenced by your views. >> so i hear. i'm very pleased that the president found what i was writing was useful. >> what are you saying about america's decline? >> i'm stating it's tremendously overstated and it's premature. you know economically and militarily and in terms of its overall influence is as strong as it's ever been. with very a mythical view of the past. people seem to think we were able to do whatever we wanted and tell people what to do and we can no longer do it. the fact is we've always had difficulties and been in a struggle but i think the united states is still in a strong position. >> there is this fact.
8:41 am
there has been a transfer of economic power from the east to the west. >> although most of that transfer has not actually come at the expense of the united states. if you look at the global share of gross domestic product that the united states has, it's remained remarkably steady for the last 40 years, about a quarter of overall world gdp. china's been rising mostly at the expense of europe and japan. now, of course, the chinese rise is significant, it's going to mean a different kind of future, but i'm not sure it's a challenge that the united states can't meet and reallily will necessarily change the united states of the world. >> as you know, it's called a rise to the rest by some people. the point is there's got to be in this kind of circumstance a different sharing of power. do you reject that idea? >> i don't reject that. it's going to be different players involved. if you think about, again, the cold war, there was a significant rise of the west during the cold war. germany and japan came out from
8:42 am
nothing, became economic powerhouses. you may remember not so many years ago we worried about japan taking over the world economically. the rise of those powers aided the united states. it made united states stronger in its competition with the soviet union. if you look at the current situation, if our leading competitor is going to be china in the decades to come, the rise of india is going to be an advantage to the united states. >> so what role will we play today as china rises and we see this move management of economic power that's different from the role we have played when there were only two super powers? >> well, we do face a more diverse -- die fuse kind of power in the world. we have some strategic vanchs in dealing with china. thing china's going to be economically powerful, but strategically it faces powerful allies of the united states around its periphery from japan all the way around to india. we have to manage those alliances well. we have to engage both,
8:43 am
including our european allies. i think that those alliance structures remain the core of american influence in the world. >> okay. but you look at egypt and you could have a different kind of government that's not as interested in having a relationship with the united states as the previous mubarak government was. >> no. there's no question. you're not going to be able to pick up the phone and get mubarak on the line and ideally get him what you want him to do. we're going to have to deal with the egyptian democracy and the fact that the islamic brotherhood is going to be powerful and this is going to be a set back for american interests on some issues. my view is overall it's going to benefit the united states. i think back on the fall of marcos in the philippines in the 1980s and several years after that the united states was thrown out of key bases in the philippines, but we've recovered and i think we are benefiting today from philippine democracy
8:44 am
despite those strategic effects. >> nor do we have the domino effect comes in from vietnam. >> no, we don't. i think the united states despite the phrase "leading from behind" has actually shown a lot of leadership in libya and has been working diplomatically with the arab league and turkey and othering in the region to try to move things in a positive direction. i don't see any weakness in the united states in these dealings. >> but that's. >> that's not at what your candidate is saying. you seem to be praising president obama's foreign policy leadership, notwithstanding the fact that you're advising mitt romney. >> well, think that there are things that the united states is still capable of doing. i have plenty of criticisms of the obama administration. i believe what they're doing on the defense budget is very dangerous and could, in fact, lead to american decline over time. there are certainly areas in relationship with israel where i think they have not managed that well, and i'm obviously in full agreement with governor mitt romney on those issues.
8:45 am
my point is a larger point, i have to say. it's an apolitical point. it's no longer as powerful as it once was an, therefore, we ought to manage our decline. my argument is the united states is capable of carrying out significant activities both and having influence in the middle east and elsewhere. >> robin kagan, thank you. >> thank you. >> what would you say to yourself if you could go back in time? we'll whaer dr. maya angelou's note to herself is when we come back. you're watching "cbs this morning." i love taxes.
8:46 am
people say to me, "you're so lucky. after tax season, you get to relax." we're not here for a couple of months. we're here year-round. after april 15th, we don't close down. we're working late, learning next year's tax laws to make sure turbo tax is the easy way to get your taxes done right. and we even guarantee that all turbo tax calculations are accurate. i'm lisa skelly, and i'm an experienced tax professional. man: go to turbotax.com.
8:47 am
8:48 am
if you could offer insight and advice to your younger sefrl, what would you say to him or her? that's a concept for a new series we're starting this morning called "note to self." we're delighted to start with noted author, civil rights activist, dr. maya angelou. >> this is a letter to myself when i was about 15. today i'm 83 years old. dear me. first, i know that you know how to listen. when i was 8 years old, became a mute and was a mute until i was 13 and i thought of my whole body as an ear so i could go into a crowd and sit still and absorb all the sound.
8:49 am
that talent or ability has lasted and served me until to y today. once you appreciate one of your blessings, one of your senses, the sense of hearing, then you begin to respect the sense of seeing and touching and tasting. you learn to respect all the sen senses. find a beautiful piece of art. if you have fallen in long with van gogh or maltese or john killan or if you've fallen in love with the music of cold train, the music of aretha franklin, the music of chopin, find some beautiful art and admire it and realize that that
8:50 am
was created by a human being, just like you. no more human, no less. the person may have keener eyesight or better ears. the person might have a more live body and can dance, but the person cannot be more human than you. that is very important because that ensures you that you are a human being, and nothing human can be alien to you. you will be able to go around the world, learning languages, speaking for everybody, because no one can be more human than you, nor can they be less human. they can be meaner or crueller or sweeter or prettier or younger or richer, but they can't be more human than you. remember that. >> talking to her really is like
8:51 am
listening to liquid poetry. every conversation i want to sit there with a note and a pad. >> right every word down. you must have interviewed her many times. >> many times. she's one beautiful woman, ads you can see. >> what would be your advice to an 8-year-old. >> to an 8-year-old or younger self. it's so interesting. you learn so much as you get older. nobody can tell you. you're relaxed. you're not as smart as you think you are. >> what do you mean? >> you're not as smart as you think you are. tony, you're not as smart as you think you are. >> tony would be appropriate. what would be your note to your younger self? >> i love that no one is more human than anyone else. just remind people that you love them. we talked about this the other day when viola davis was here from "the help." in the movie the little girl said you are kind, you are
8:52 am
smart, you are important. tell somebody else that every day. >> bill gates and his wife melinda, one life is as important as any other life. mine would be hone your curiosity, constantly educate yourself and find your passion. that's what i would say. >> always good advice. >> you know, jeremiah also said every step toward success is a step toward liberation, which i think is so good. the more successful you become the more liberated you become because you can create your own destiny. >> and the more you learn the more you can consider your alternatives that. does it for us. stay tuned for your local news. we'll see you tomorrow morning on "cbs this morning."
8:53 am
today is gonna be an important day for us. you ready? we wanna be our brother's keeper. what's number two we wanna do? bring it up to 90 decatherms. how bout ya, joe? let's go ahead and bring it online. attention on site, attention on site. now starting unit nine. some of the world's cleanest gas turbines are now powering some of america's biggest cities.
8:54 am
siemens. answers.
8:55 am
8:56 am
8:57 am
8:58 am
8:59 am

223 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on