Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom  CNN  October 2, 2011 7:00pm-8:00pm PDT

7:00 pm
>> thank you. >> you, too, lorri. -- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com right now on cnn, in just hours amanda knox takes the stand. >> the light is really on at the end of the tunnel. >> what the american college students says could set her free or send her away for murder for decades. and wall street in chaos. >> all day, all week, how did you live wall street. >> and police cracking down across the country. is your town next? and fickle politics. first they loved bachmann, perry, and then cane, and now krchristie christie? >> i'm a governor of new jersey and i'm not running for political office. >> and now a book of controversy. >> why is it wrong that the
7:01 pm
humans that we idolized had shortcomings and faults? >> a new biography with the potential of tainting the legacy of football great walter payton, and we talk to the author coming up right here on cnn. i'm don lemon and you are in the "cnn newsroom" and we will start with a word that many of you may find uncomfortable, and it is a controversy putting a presidential hopeful in a compromising situation, because tonight, rick perry has to try to dissociate himself from the word in the diction their is the most tainted named niggerhead where his family went camping. his campaign says that he has not been there since 2006 and the name has been change and the
7:02 pm
rock painted over and obscured, but when it was painted over is a dispute between perry's people and the "washington post" which published the lengthy article today. the word sounds outrageously backwards in today's world, but in the past, it was used for hills and rocks and even thouobo products. and herman cane didn't care about the connotation in any form, and this is what he told fox news. >> my reaction is that, that is very insensitive, and that is a more vile negative word than the n-word and for him to leave it there as long as he did before i hear that they finally painted over it, it is just plain insensitive to a lot of black people in this country. >> i spoke about this with cnn contributor will cain, and l.z.
7:03 pm
granderson about how much of a problem is this for the rick perry campaign? >> this is huge. i don't know how you can stand on a stage across from president obama, the first african-american president with nigger hanging over your head which is what the story will be for him. this is why among other reasons that chris christie is still trying to be wooed, because rick perry has a lot of the skeletons in the closet and the gop knows that once he gets in front of obama by himself, these typings of stories are going to come out and derail his campaign. >> we have said in the context of the "post" it was used for rock formations and a part of the nation's history and other names that were, that that word was used in, so will, how does a candidate recover once they have been associated with the word nigge reshg er?
7:04 pm
>> well, you know, we have to be careful here. but there was a word macaca which was a deration with the same connotation, so this word is so powerful and atomic bomb on a campaign that we have to be careful and responsible about how to treat this story. you know, that washington post story was full of anonymous sources and full of speculation and i don't want to be a pundit to go on tv to speculate about this any further. these are questions for rick perry to answer at this point. >> i think that is a good point of view to have, but the question is, just being associated in a controversy true or not, that is tough to recover from? >> it is so tough to recover, don, that it might not be able to be recoverable, so we have the be careful to associate it, and we have to make sure we have everything right there. >> and perry said that his father painted over the rock in
7:05 pm
198 1983 or 1984, but the washington post sites that some of the sources who some of them are anonymous report to have seen the word at the camp long after that. monday is judgment day for amanda knox, and the 24-year-old american will go before the italian court to find out if her 2009 murder conviction will be overturned on appeal. knox will speak to the court begging for mercy in an attempt to sway the people who decide her fate. it is no exaggeration that her future depends on the speech. matthew chance has more from italy. >> reporter: well, don, this is li likely to be the speech of amanda knox's life. for 15 minutes the 24-year-old from seattle will be able to stand up in this italian court in perugia to hopefully be set free. she has learned to speak italian
7:06 pm
fluently, so it is likely she will make theed a gles the local language. and her former boyfriend also convicted in the 2007 murder of the british exchange student meredith kercher in what prosecutors say was a drug-fueled sex game gone wrong and he will have an opportunity to speak, but it is not clear he will, and then the jury will retire and consider all of the evidence in the case, and returning with the decision, we expect monday night local time. so, obviously, a great deal of anticipation here and around the world which is one of the lurid and scandalous and most closely watched murder cases of recent years. back to you, don. >> thank you, matthew chance. a boston, seattle, denver, albuquerque, have all taken up this banner, and the demonstrations began in new york back in july, but why? what do they want? our susan candiotti has been at
7:07 pm
the epicenter of this movement in lower manhattan, and she is asking that very question. >> don, this protest has been set up in a public park for about three weeks now, and they are trying to keep it as organized as possible. for example, there is a food line that has been here for several days where people have been donating food, and people who live in the neighborhood, and even businesses so that is where people come to get water and food. but you also have some impromptu security here and people pitching in to watch around. and i want to show, also, you see a lot of this going on. be it guitars or saxophones or folk groups or rock groups, and people just expressing their views. there is no, again, clear-cut goal for what is happening here, but many people have told us that they are content to wait until that happens. we even ran into for example a group of teachers who sat around grading papers saying they are here, because they want to, in their part, do their part to try
7:08 pm
to protest cuts to education. so as you can see, that is just one example of many people who are represented here, as this protest goes on. a pretty quiet day on sunday, and they are planning a huge protest in the middle of the week, and march on city hall and organizers could have as many as 20,000 people here. don, back to you. >> susan, thank you. susan candiotti in lower manhattan. first michele bachmann and then rick perry and her man cain and now the gop is looking for a presidential candidate who says he is not running. and a hijacker with nearly 40 years on the run cam captured. and tonight, two people on that flight, and the memories that his capture brought back. ♪
7:09 pm
[ male announcer ] we're not employers or employees. not white collar or blue collar or no collars. we are business in america. and every day we awake to the same challenges. but at prudential we're helping companies everywhere find new solutions to manage risk, capital and employee benefits, so american business can get on with business. ♪ whether it can be done safely and responsibly. at exxonmobil we know the answer is yes. when we design any well, the groundwater's protected by multiple layers of steel and cement. most wells are over a mile and a half deep so there's a tremendous amount of protective rock
7:10 pm
between the fracking operation and the groundwater. natural gas is critical to our future. at exxonmobil we recognize the challenges and how important it is to do this right. this is not how witness protection works! when we set you up with that little hardware store we didn't intend for your face to be everywhere. but fedex office makes it so easy. not only do they ship stuff, they print flyers, brochures -- everything i need to get my name out there. that's the problem. now we need to give you a third identity. you're paul matheson. and you're gonna run your business into the ground. erik gustafson would never do that! there is no erik gustafson. hey that's erik gustafson!!! there is no erik gustafson!!!!! [ male announcer ] small business solutions. fedex. solutions that matter. i tell you what i can spend. i do my best to make it work. i'm back on the road safely. and i saved you money on brakes. that's personal pricing.
7:11 pm
it is time to talk politics with cnn contributor and anchor erroll lewis, and good to see you. i want to talk about the republican field in the 2012 battle for the white house. it would be easy to get whiplash if you are following the race closely and even if you are not. in the early days we heard about how mitt romney was the candidate to beat, and then congresswoman michele bachmann won the iowa straw poll and got a bump. the same weekend rick perry jumped into the race and before we knew it, he was a front-runner, and then herman cain won a straw poll, and that has not stopped the speculation of chris christie or sarah palin j jumping into the race. it seems to have changed by the week here. and i want you to listen to this republican strategist nicolle
7:12 pm
wallace talking today on "this week." >> the republican party is lurching from one crush to another and it is beginning to resemble a dysfunctional dating pattern, pine for the ones we can't have and the ones who are available to us emotionally and otherwise are of no interest. >> i won't talk about chris christie, because he said he will not do it, and it is back to the point of mitt romney, a man that a lot of the pundits still believe will get the nod. so are the gop voters having a hard time to commit to him, and they have a problem with him, and if so, what it? >> well, they are having a hard time to commit to him in part, because look at the movement conservatives who don't trust him, and there are a lot of frankly political figures, former elected officials and existing elected officials and people i have talked to that don't like the guy personally. and the movement that the conservatives have an ideological grudge against him and note things that most of us didn't know or didn't pay attention to, and things li s l
7:13 pm
catholic charities stopped doing adoptions in 1986, because they allowed same sex adoptions to happen, and they blamed that on romney. there are people with serious grudges, and politicians that don't care for the guy. and there is the shadow of possible religious antipathy out there among some members of the evangelical establishment with the fact that 14th a mohe is a and that it shows up in the polls, and it matters to them and they would have a hard time voting for him, because of that. and there are comparable numbers for president kennedy who is a catholic and it is a hurdle he might have to overcome. >> well, in the polling, he is at the top of most polling and i don't understand why the republicans can't commit to him. thank you for answering that. i want to talk about president obama's speech in front of hundreds of gay rights activists. he scolded the activists for not standing up forrer a soldier who
7:14 pm
was booed in a recent debate. >> we don't believe in the sm l smallness that says it is okay for a stage full of political leaders, one of whom could end up being the president of the united states remain silent while an american soldier is booed. we don't believe in that. >> erroll, playing to the base there? >> absolutely. and it is a wee bit unfair, don. you have been to the debates and there is sound bouncing around all over the place and millions of things going on and you don't know what is going on and if if it is a big boo or small boo and to put that standard on people and it reminds me of something minor that a president bows to a japanese dignitary and the right wing media runs off with it saying that he is bowing to the foreign dictators, and it is a little bit of silliness but that is why they call politics the silly season. >> they have been criticized, too, after finding out about it for the slow response.
7:15 pm
>> i want to play a little bit of what dick cheney said about president obama's stance on gay issues. listen. >> i think it was the right decision to repeal "don't ask, don't tell" and i don't know where president obama is on this issue, and i suspect that there are a lot of people watching the speech in the room last night wondering if they could believe what he is saying, frankly. his position on these issues hasn't been that different from where many of the republican kand dates are, and he has not come out to advocate for gay marriage for example, and this is one example of where he wants to vit both ways. >> so, does cheney and the person there with cheney, do they have a point? do some gay activists might agree. >> yes, perhaps. it is extraordinary to hear her say that though sitting next to her father, the architect of a very divisive strategy in 2004 where they put all kinds of anti-same-sex marriage referenda out specifically on the agenda all across the country in order to win that re-election. i mean, it is a tough issue. and maybe the president is --
7:16 pm
>> well, lynne cheney is there with her father, and she is making a point. and she issic mag a point, and she -- and quite frankly, she has a good one to make. >> well, look, she is absolutely right. look, she is abslightly right. the president said he is evolving on this and he is not going to come out and call for the same-sex marriage until a day at most a day after the election in 2012. that is a fairer thing to say, and that is how he reads the mood of the country. her father and other politicians at a national level have made sort of comparable calculations about what they can say and where the country is, and you know, you might say that's weakness or say it is cowardess or a form of leadership to take the country in a particular direction and trying not to get too far ahead of it. >> okay. i want to talk about the occupy wall street protest, because hundreds of people were arrested on the brooklyn bridge saturday. and you live in new york, erroll, and when is the last time you saw this and it is
7:17 pm
spreading around the country? >> well, the last time i saw something like this was in frankly 1999 and i was not working in journalism at the time and i went and got myself arrested with 1,000 people at 1 police plaza over a specific policy involving the mayor at the time rudy giuliani and a man where the cops shot him 41 times and a tense time in the city. what is different about this and noteworthy, don, is that there is no specific policy. no specific person that's being targeted or institution even. they call it leaderless resistance, and no spokesperson has emerged, and yet 700, 800 people got arrested yesterday. there is something interesting going on here and frankly, i want to go down to poke around in person to see if i can find out what the heck is going on down there. >> thank you. i misspoke. i said lynn ce cheney, but it i liz cheney and i got their names confused. thank you, erroll. have a great week.
7:18 pm
>> you, too. >> and coming up, holly hughes and what is ahead on the manslaughter trial of dr. conrad murray, the man blamed for the death of michael jackson. instead of getting to know you they simply assign you a number. aviva is here to change all that. we're bringing humanity back to insurance and putting people before policies. aviva life insurance and annuities. we are building insurance around you. gives you a 50 percent annual bonus. so you earn 50 percent more cash. if you're not satisfied with 50% more cash, send it back! i'll be right here, waiting for it. who wouldn't want more cash? [ insects chirping ] i'll take it. i'll make it rain up in here. [ male announcer ] the new capital one cash rewards card. the card for people who want 50% more cash. what's in your wallet?
7:19 pm
sorry i'll clean this up. shouldn't have made it rain.
7:20 pm
testimony resumes monday in the involuntary manslaughter trial of dr. conrad murray. he was with michael jackson when he died an blamed for his death. i spent last week in a courtroom in los angeles and it was like a hollywood production and legal analyst holly hughes says that there is a good reason for that. >> look, a trial is a show. >> yes. >> and the most important audience is the folks sitting in the jury box, and nose are ttho
7:21 pm
people that you are playing to. you want it to be smooth and not just confident in the performance as it were but if they trust you and the way you present, they will trust your witnesses and evidence. >> and the prosecution is matter of a fact and they ask everything, what kind of medication did you observe. when he went to the doctor, did he do this? and straight forward question, and i think of ed chernoff as a matlock-type. >> well, he is brilliant and the prosecution is making a mountain and piling up all of the things they hope will point to guilt, but what ed chernoff is doing is to mining the mountain for nuggets and little things that when you hear them they are not a big deal, but when he weaves all of the little things together in closing argument, you are going to go, i never thought of it like that. that is what he is doing. >> if you mess up a word in your testimony or pretrial, he takes it all, so here's the thing, and even, he is kind of trying to knock down the time line and you could not do that in this amount
7:22 pm
of time and be up in the bedroom to be up on the phone with emir and he is doing that to alberto alvarez. >> absolutely. >> and here is the thing, how do you think that the defense is doing? because i have noticed that there has been some back and forth with ed chernoff and the judge. they don't really get along that way. they have been butting heads? >> well, when you have an attorney as good as ed chernoff, you have to be careful fshg because it looks like the judge is beating up on the defense and taking sides and the judge is going to buck against that and he is supposed to be neutral and he does look he is being beat up, and ed chernoff can take it, because he does not blink and says, thank you, your honor, and moves on. >> what is the article called? >> i wrote an article called "state of the case" and it is what we have seen so far and it is up on the facebook page. >> some things that we noticed that the nation did not notice that the nation of islam and ed chernoff tries to keep bringing that up, and the prosecution
7:23 pm
says objection, and the judge will sustain it, and they are trying to say that the nation of islam was involved in michael jackson's security and in some way they had a way to cover up or set up, and -- >> that is right. >> and reasonable doubt, and that is the company owned by the nation of islam and you don't see that the family reacting like, here he goes again, and amir, are you referred to as brother amir? yes, yes. >> and you take the nuggets that you have mined and you weave them into the fantastic closing argument, and you say, this is a conspiracy. they are hanging this man out the dry, because something much more powerful is at play here. absolutely. >> it is going to be so much that people at home are going to go, what the heck? but when you are sitting there in the courtroom, you notice all of the things and theed be language amend i have to say that what i have been saying all along is that not to say anything about conrad murray's guilt or innocence, but can you imagine a family having to sit through that and see the loved ones up on the gurney and my
7:24 pm
heart went out to the mom. >> don, by the time we get to trial, it is cold and clinical and we don't have a crime scene or blood, and what the prosecution is doing in in case as they should in every case is painting the picture. a lot of people were upset about showing michael in that bed, and you have to. it is their burden to prove he has passed away, and they are bringing it home for the jury and making them feel it just like you did. >> and the family there right there everyday and they know they want the jury to see them. criminal defense attorney, holly hughes, thank you. a hijacker's 40-year run from the law come ts to an end d in the process brings back a flood of memories for a couple on the flight. they share their memories right after this quick break. endless shrimp is our most popular promotion at red lobster. there's so many choices. the guests love it. [ male announcer ] it's endless shrimp today at red lobster. as much as you like any way you like,
7:25 pm
like new sweet and spicy shrimp, all for $15.99. my name is angela trapp, and i sea food differently. gives you a 50 percent annual bonus. so you earn 50 percent more cash. if you're not satisfied with 50% more cash, send it back! i'll be right here, waiting for it. who wouldn't want more cash? [ insects chirping ] i'll take it. i'll make it rain up in here. [ male announcer ] the new capital one cash rewards card. the card for people who want 50% more cash.
7:26 pm
what's in your wallet? sorry i'll clean this up. shouldn't have made it rain. ♪ [ male announcer ] what is the future of fuel? the debate is over. ♪ lexus hybrid drive technology is designed to optimize any fuel source on the planet. even those we don't use yet. because when you pursue perfection, you don't just engineer a future-proof hybrid system. you engineer amazing. ♪
7:27 pm
in portugal an extradition hearing in two weeks from now will begin the lengthy process of trying to return long-time american fugitive george wright to the u.s. wright had been on the run for more than 40 years after allegedly helping to hijack a delta airliner in 1972. he was picked up a week ago, in the picturesque portuguese town by the ocean. he and his wife and pregnant wife and little girl were on than flight, and i spoke to the roversons about this experience and mrs. roverson said she immediately noticed something odd about the passenger who turned out to be george wright. >> i only thought that after we had gotten on the plane. i didn't -- and he stood up.
7:28 pm
i thought, that is strange that he didn't look like a priest, and i don't know what priests always look like, but he didn't -- and it was something very strange. he was surveying the passengers on the plane. i said to my husband, i said, that doesn't look right. so he made some comment. >> what did you say, judge? >> he said relax. >> and she said, he really doesn't look like a priest and i said, oh, you are just pregnant and we will be okay. >> right. >> and then she said to me, there he goes with her up to the cockpit, and i said, well, they will let anybody go up to the cockpit, because back then pilots would let children come into the cockpit and used to be when they gave them the little wings when they flew, and i thought he was somebody inquiring about the airplane and she says, now he is going into the cockpit with her, and at that point, we started, i started and joining her in
7:29 pm
feeling that something was wrong. when the plane landed, we didn't go into the terminal, we stayed out on the tarmac. and eventually, the pilot came on and said that he had two young men who wanted to go to algeria, and that he was going to take them to algeria, but that the problem was that they wanted $1 million in $20 bills. >> and we were all looking around puzzled and really terrified to tell you the truth. >> did you think that you would survive it? >> we weren't sure. i wasn't sure. but i was trying to keep our daughter calm, and trying to int entertain her and her not know how frightened we all were. >> and we must have stayed sitting on the tarmac for two hours. >> yes. >> at least. and then we saw people coming to the plane, who i presumed to be fbi agents coming to the plane in bikini bathing suits, and they were bringing the million dollars out to the airplane. they hoisted the money up on the
7:30 pm
rope to the plane, and then they let us off on the tarmac. back then they gave us a black power sign as the plane took off. >> well, the robersons told me that after more than 40 years they forgot about the hijacking until news had broke that he had been found living in portugal. the top stories straight ahead, the death toll rising from the tainted batch of cantelopes and should the man who tried to kill president reagan get more freedom? a request tonight coming from an interesting place. [ male announcer ] when men don't choose what's right for their face,
7:31 pm
they can end up with shaving irritation. ♪ get gillette irritation defense shave gel and gillette fusion proglide razor to help defend against five signs of shaving irritation. ♪ try gillette fusion proglide and the irritation defense line. help defend your skin. ♪
7:32 pm
7:33 pm
>> i want to check some headlines for you and the death toll is climbing from the listeria outbreak caused by contaminated cantelopes. as many as 17 people have died and 84 people in 19 states have gotten sick. the melons are from a colorado-based jensen farms. the cdc says there could be more people affected since there is a lag time between eating the bad cantaloupes and becoming ill. six supreme court justices were at the dignities at the red mass today in washington. the catholic church service is held every year before the opening of the supreme court's term. it is called the red mass, because of the color of the robes worn by clergy. hundreds of washington dignitaries were also at the service. critics say that the attendance is inappropriate and unhealthy mix of politics and law and religion. a new california law will prevent local governments from banning the practice of male circumcisi
7:34 pm
circumcision. governor jerry brown signed the legislation today. it is in response to a group trying to get a proposal on the ballot to outlaw circumcision in california. the court has rule the state and not municipalities regulate the services, because they are a medical service. possible freedom is back on the front burner for john hinkley, jr., the man who tried to kill president ronald reagan. the man is asking a federal court to go live with or near his aging mother in virginia. the prosecution says that hinkley is capable of great violence and should not be released. the 56-year-old hinkley was found not guilty by reason of insanity in 1982. . and now life work from the national mall of work being done on the washington monument. officials are waiting for the high winds to subside after a gust friday blew a worker 30
7:35 pm
feet while he was hanging at rope at the top of the monument. the man is okay, but the park service says it will be mondate the earliest before teams can work again. the quake hit the monument on august 23rd. for the first time in 15 years, tiger woods has fallen out of the top 50 in the world golf rankings. this ends his streak of 778 consecutive weeks in the top 50. woods has not won a tournament in two years while battling personal and professional problems, also some injuries. now, looking ahead to the monday morning commute and where the travel delays may be. our meteorologist jacqui jeras is here, and not a great outlook for people traveling in the northeast and the northwest, and for the bookending the travelers. >> yes, here in the middle things are looking good. so you have to think of the glass half full a little bit. you know about the upper level low that is sitting here to bring you the dreary weather and
7:36 pm
rain and overcast conditions that will be there again tomorrow. but the west coast, you have a series of storm systems, and this is an active week. this is the first big one we have seen so far this season and look at how that has wrapped up off of the coast, and looking at the pacific northwest, that is the first storm and the second one comes in tuesday and into wednesday, so as we look at the outlook for the week in all, there is the low in the northeast, and the northwest and the low in the middle, and eventually we will see the shift, but we are concerned that we will see serious snow into sierras and a foot and plus expected tuesday night into wednesday and make sure you have the chains ready if you have travel plans in that part of the country as well. all right. tomorrow's commute tonight. and we will start you out with five and a lot of these cities will be high in the northeast and the northwest. and d.c., low clouds and afternoon showers and a rough morning commute. if you aret the airways, do expect some delays at both of the airports in the d.c. area
7:37 pm
and baltimore, too. new york city, you will get it and big chance of rain in the afternoon, but the cloudiness will linger into the morning hours. number three, go with cleveland, because you have been dealing with the low overcast conditions as well, and you will dry up a little bit from the lake shore and then finally making its way off to the south and the east. and city two, portland and seattle, we are giving you a tie here, because you will see pretty much the same thing with the rain and the low clouds in your area, and yeah, the worst location in the nation, there it is. >> oh, a drum roll. >> yes, san francisco, low clouds and the rain and the wet forecast and over the next couple of days and even across san diego will get in on the wet weather, don. last thing i want to show you just for fun, some snow video. yeah, it is snow. the first weekend of october. this is in pennsylvania, and they got a nice little dusting there, and there was also some snow in parts of west virginia and into the higher elevations of north carolina, so you know, we turn the calendar, and we are getting closer to winter, and
7:38 pm
there it is, your first snow. you look pained. >> yes, you know how i hate to see summer end. i love, love summer and the heat. >> 89 in minneapolis tomorrow. >> and you know why i love the summer? because you don't have to shovel sunshine. >> that is true, but it will melt off very, very quickly. >> thank you, jacqui jeras, and we appreciate it. we want to go now no the big stories of the week ahead, from the white house to hollywood. our correspondents tell you what you need to know. begin tonight with the president's plan for the week. >> i'm brianna keilar at the white house. president obama heads to texas on tuesday to tout his jobs plan, and he will also do some fund raising in missouri and the back half of the week is all about sports here. he is going to be welcoming to 2011 ncaa basketball champs, the women's team from texas a&m to the white house, and on friday, he will welcome the 1985 super bowl champs, the chicago bear, and their trip to the white house more than 25 years ago was cancelled because of the
7:39 pm
"challenger" explosion. i'm kate bolduan on capitol hill. the house this week is expected to take up the short-term spending bill that threatened a government shutdown here this past week, and the senate has already approved that measure. the senate is likely to focus on china and trade with many lawmakers accusing china of manipulating the currency and keeping the wages low and keeping the exports cheaper and giving china an unfair advantage. the bill will take up bipartisan support to crackdown on the chinese currency manipulation. in the house, the house republicans will continue their efforts to roll back what they view as burden someregulations that hinder job creation and the focus this week is environmental rules. i'm a.j. hammer with "showbiz tonight," and i will be in los angeles with the conrad murray trial, and is the timing of all of this appropriate?
7:40 pm
we will find out more about this on hln and "showbiz tonight." we are excited to welcome erin burnett to the fold. howard kirtz asked her about the new gig and moving from exclusively reporting on business to anchoring a news show. >> by doing a more general show here at cnn, are you to some extent giving up your business brand that you are so closely identified with market reporting and associated with goldman sa sac sachs, and is that important to you? >> well, i believe that the economy is closely related to the election. and who is getting money and where they are getting money is essential part of the story, and that is an important angle that we can bring to all stories. but a lot of the things they
7:41 pm
love in terms of the foreign reporting and some of the issues that i really care about that have a financial aspect, but also a much broader aspect which i did at cnbc is not the core of what i did, but it is now the core. so i believe it is the perfect fit. >> erin burnett "out front" debuting 7:00 p.m. eastern monday right here, and her first interview is an exclusive interview with leon panetta. and a sports icon could be tainted by a new book. did the sweetness have a dark side? we will talk to the biographer of walter payton. male announcers no trace of evidence... new scope dualblast.
7:42 pm
ask me. if you think even the best bed can only lie there... ask me what it's like... when my tempur-pedic moves... ...talk to someone who owns an adjustable version of the most highly recommended bed in america... ask me about my tempur advanced ergo. ask me about having all the right moves. these are real tempur-advanced ergo owners! find one for yourself. check out twitter. try your friends on facebook... see what they have to say...unedited. it goes up... ask me what it's like to get a massage ---any time you want. ...it goes down... ergo...nomics... ergo...nomics... tempur-pedic brand owners are more satisfied than owners of any traditional mattress brand. (in chinese) ask me why i never want to leave my ergo. ask me why i'm glad i didn't wait 'till i was too old to enjoy this.
7:43 pm
start asking real owners. ask me how to make your first move... find out more about the tempur advanced ergo system! call the number on your screen for your free dvd and information kit. to find an authorized dealer near you, visit tempurpedic.com. tempur-pedic. the most highly recommended bed in america. two of the most important are energy security and economic growth. north america actually has one of the largest oil reserves in the world. a large part of that is oil sands. this resource has the ability to create hundreds of thousands of jobs. at our kearl project in canada, we'll be able to produce these oil sands with the same emissions as many other oils and that's a huge breakthrough. that's good for our country's energy security and our economy.
7:44 pm
he was known as sweetness, one of the greatest football players ever to play the game and a chicago icon long before michael jordan came to town, but there was another side to hall of famer walter payton that was carefully hidden from the public, and a side that jeff pearlman spent three years uncovering. it is called "sweetness, the enigmatic life of walter payton." >> when i got to know him and to be honest, it was sort of after his career ended, and he retired and really looking for meaning in his life. it was looking for something to do like a lot of former athletes
7:45 pm
do, and he became the front man in an effort to bring an nfl expansion franchise to st. louis, and he spent basically 2 1/2 to three years working on this effort and putting everything into the effort because he wanted to be the first minority owner in the nfl, and it completely fell through. when that happened and it was not his fault at all, and he got extremely depressed and extremely despondent and questioning his purpose in life. there is a sort of image of walter payton as happy go lucky and gregarious guy, and lo and behold he was a human being with emotions and occasional heart break that we all had. i pictured him incredibly happy and upbeat guy and to hear that he was a human being who hurt and had feelings and really crushed after this happened to him, and i know it sounds basic, but it was remarkable for me. >> i want the ask you, because he has been gone for 12 years, and did you find that people were still trying to protect his image, because you highlight some of the shortcomings in the book, and the womanizing and the out of wedlock son, and the depression, and the suicide, abuse of pain medications, and
7:46 pm
you talked about the suicide and all of that and you talked about those things, so i am wondering if people are still trying to protect him even 12 years after the death? >> well, from the reaction in chicago, i have to say yes. "sports illustrated" ran an excerpt pertaining to the years after retirement, and people were very, very taken aback by that and i understand it on the one hand, and i really do, because he is a beloved figure and a reputation cultivated and he is a myth in the greatness across the board. i come from the sort of perspective, why is it wrong to learn that our heroes or the people we idolize were humans with shortcomings and faults. i would not say he was a womanizer, because he was separated from his wife for the last ten years of his life. when people say he was a drug addict, and that term has been used in a lot of the headlines and i understand it, but if you poll the former nfl players from
7:47 pm
that era and a guy who played 13 years and missed one game, and how many of those guys need painkillers to get through the day, you will find an enormous percentage, so some is of the negatives i think have been hyped up a little bit, but i understand the protection, because the guy was so beloved and rightfully so. >> and compare this then to writing a biographies about barry bonds, roger clemens and how this would compare? >> it is totally different. when i wrote the barry bonds' biography years ago i was begging for people, and begging for somebody to tell me a positive story about barry bonds, and it was like looking for a nugget of gold in a toilet. you can't find it. it was so hard. and walter payton was an amazing man and again, i understand why people are so prospective because he is amazing and the goodness is incredible. >> there one incident that jumps out to everybody that occurred at the hall of fame introduction and tell us about it. >> well, when he was, you know, hall of fame is the, of course, biggest moment in a football
7:48 pm
player's life, and walter payton was miserable and four days of misery, and he got his wife, connie, who had he been married to for a long time and separated from at this time was in the first row of the induction, and his girlfriend was in the second row, and, you know, connie had known about the girlfriend, but there was a real tension in walter for the entire time and he kept worrying, are they going to meet, are they going to meet, and actually did meet at the end later on and it was not nearly the big deal that walter payton thought it would be, and primarily because he was not with his wife, and you know, living with hi wife at that point, but it ruined the four days and the four amazing great days of your football life. >> the book is called "sweetness" and thank you. the pictures are amazing and alone just for the pictures. thank you, jeff pearlman, for coming on. former vice president dick cheney praises a move by president obama and don't think he is a fan now of the president. that story is just ahead.
7:49 pm
and i'm not the only one who thinks so...right doc? [ female announcer ] vets agree, a healthy check up starts inside. our breakthrough iams premium protection formula is developed with vets... ...with cutting edge ingredients for the lifelong health of your pet. [ cat ] what a surprise... straight as again! [ female announcer ] iams premium protection. our most advanced iams nutrition. ever. [ cat ] oh, i'm not in your way, am i doc? i...[yawns] am an iams cat. at aviva, we wonder why other life insurance companies treat you like a policy, not a person. instead of getting to know you they simply assign you a number. aviva is here to change all that. we're bringing humanity back to insurance and putting people before policies. aviva life insurance and annuities. we are building insurance around you.
7:50 pm
7:51 pm
a vote of confidence for the obama administration from an unlikely source. ever since former vice president dick cheney left office in 2009, he has rarely had anything nice to say about the current white house, but on state of the union with candy crowley, he backed president obama's decision to kill american-born cleric anwar
7:52 pm
al awlaki, but it was not without reservations. >> no qualms about killing the former american-born cleric, a thumb's up. >>en when it involves a american citizen, if there is part of al qaeda and supporting and planning attacks against the united states. >> we are a nation at war and as a belligerent have a right to capture or kill enemy combatants trumps the fact that one or another of those come pbatants might have american personhood wrapped around them. >> reporter: and there is also rez rservation to kill an ameri
7:53 pm
resident without threat. >> he was come police it is with al qaeda, but i think that the justice department should release that memo. >> reporter: in fact, two americans were killed in the u.s. attack and the target was anwar al awlaki, a master recruiter linked to several plots against the u.s. including the fort hood shootings, and samir al khan. and still, something eats at dick c dick cheney and something that president obama said in cairo in 2009 about the u.s. reaction to the 9/11 attacks. >> the fear and inger that it provokeded was understandable, but in some cases, it led us to act contrary to our traditions and our ideals. we are taking concrete actions to change course. i have prohibited the use of torture by the united states. >> reporter: cheney says that the obama administration now trying to protect the country approved the killing of an
7:54 pm
american citizen, says that president should reconsider his decisions. >> they said that in effect we had walked away from the ideals or the policies contrary to the ideals when we had enhanced interrogation techniques, but they have clearly moved to the way of taking robust action when they feel it is appropriate. >> you would like an apology? >> well, not for me, but the bush administration. >> reporter: and asked if the obama administration is waging a successful war against terror, cheney says yes. candy crowley, cnn, washington. >> thank you, candy. missing. lost and missing for a week after his car plunged in a ravine, he is found and alive to tell what happened. the "i'll sleep when it's done" academic. for 80 years, we've been inspired by you. and we've been honored to walk with you to help you get where you want to be.
7:55 pm
♪ because your moment is now. let nothing stand in your way. learn more at keller.edu. achoo! [ male announcer ] and common tissue can make it burn even more. puffs plus lotion is more soothing than common tissue, and it delivers our most soothing lotion for every nose issue. at red lobster. there's so many choices. the guests love it. [ male announcer ] it's endless shrimp today at red lobster. as much as you like any way you like, like new sweet and spicy shrimp, all for $15.99. my name is angela trapp, and i sea food differently. [ gnome ] awwwwwwww. i just feel bloody awful. she told tiffany, stephanie, jenny and becky that she was coming to a place like this! but somebody didn't book with travelocity, with 24/7 customer support to help move them to the pool daddy promised!
7:56 pm
look at me, i'm swimming! ♪ [ gnome ] somebody, get her a pony! [ female announcer ] the travelocity guarantee. if your booking's not right, we'll help make it right, right away. from the price to the room to the trip you'll never roam alone. [ male announcer ] escape convention. ♪ escape definition. ♪ escape compromise. ♪ experience the most fuel-efficient luxury car available. ♪ the 42 mile per gallon ct hybrid from lexus. ♪ break free of the status quo. ♪
7:57 pm
>> a story of determination, survival and luck has thrust a california family into national spotlight. the dad was missing somewhere in the thousands of square miles of the angeles national forest and the four children found them and also helped another family in disstress. we have the details. >> reporter: two cars mangledle at the bottom of the a ravine was the sight of a family reunireyu reunion like any other un, and one that solved a missing woman case, and a man who did not call
7:58 pm
his kids. >> my dad would not call his kids and there are four of us and by the fourth day and the fifth a day and the sixth day, and we knew that something was wrong. >> reporter: so that the children of david la vau started to search on their own pinpoints this area after law enforcement helped them track his cell phone activity. >> we stopped at every ravine and looked over every hill. >> all of the sudden, i thought i heard a cat or a dog and enough where i said, hello, and it echoed down. >> sean lavau found his father, and the man had been missing for six days. >> we hugged him, and we both cried. i said, you know, how did you make it? and he said, i drank the water in the river and i ate leaves and bugs. >> he was heading this direction and another car was heading towards him and had bright lights on, and so he flashed the lights at the car, and i believe at this point probably swerved
7:59 pm
and went off of the road. >> reporter: he ended up right near another wrecked car with a decomposing body inside. as the children worried about him, la vau worried, too, how the kids would find him. the los angeles times wrote that he wrote on the dirty trunk, i love my kids. dead man was not my fault. love dad. the dead man like ly died after the crash. he was 88 years old missing since june 14th. his daughter is thankful for the answers. >> we may have never found him. we tried to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. >> reporter: the authorities have yet to confirm the body, but we know that he raised some determined kids. >> you cannot write that if you were writing a hollywood script that. is unbelievable. we are glad he is okay, and glad that the other family found out about their loved one possibly. i'm don lemon at the cnn headquarters in atlanta. thank you for

186 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on